Skip to content


First fic: Isla del Encanto (AU)

Author Index - N-Z.
This archive is for Poems, unfinished fics, and other short artistic efforts of Different Colored Pens. You Can Leave Feedback!

yay

Postby bindingwiccan » Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:44 pm

woo hoo! damn great update :)

bindingwiccan
 


Re: yay

Postby Stroke of Luck » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:41 am

Poor girls so many problems. But great that their hearts never stoped beating;)



I hope Jeffrey is not so clever to look after finger prints at the flashlight. :no



Great update more please:grin



Cu:wave

SoL/Natti



There are two kinds of tears, tears for those who leave you, and tears for those you never let go - Gabrielle/The Quest

Stroke of Luck
 


Re: Update Part 16

Postby onyxsundrops » Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:31 pm

Note: Cliffhanger (as usual): :devilish



Tara snuggled more into Willow’s back. The window was slightly open, sending a cool breeze into the room. From Willow’s soft snore, Tara knew she was already asleep, but the blonde was still awake and restless. Glancing at the clock, Tara released her hold on Willow and quietly got out of bed. She didn’t bother putting a robe on, as she stood in front of the window, clad only in a T-shirt that reached mid-thigh.



The sky was dark and empty, yet still captivated Tara as she stared up. Questions and other random thoughts rushed through her mind. Thinking back earlier to Jeffery’s room, it was hard to conceive what could’ve happened if they had been caught. If they had claimed it was a prank, would he have believed them? Would he have called the police? Or do something worse? And the flashlight. If he finds it, will he suspect anything? They would have to be more careful in the future. There was no telling how far Patricia and her son would go to protect themselves.



Tara’s mental rambling was cut short by Willow’s arms wrapping around her waist. “Hey,” Willow nuzzled into her hair, “Couldn’t sleep?” Tara smiled, letting herself fall back into Willow’s body before turning around. “No,” Tara whispered, “I just wish it were over.” She smiled sadly, letting her head fall. “Hey,” Willow kissed her forehead, then lifted Tara’s chin so they were eye to eye. “It will be,” she kissed the corner of Tara’s mouth. “We’ll pull through, the good guys always win,” she joked, receiving a shy smile. “And when this is over, we’ll go home...together.” “Together,” Tara whispered, moving in for a kiss. They climbed back into bed, falling asleep in each other arms.



****

When morning came, the group dressed quickly, then went down for breakfast, to discuss how they were going to get the ring from Patricia.



“Can’t we just hit her over the head and take it?” Anya asked. Though the idea did appeal to the rest of the group, they weren’t willing to risk the consequences.



“We can try to steal it from her,” Xander shrugged, “I doubt she’ll be wearing it all the time.”



“Well, now that she knows we want it, she probably will be wearing it all the time,” Willow logically shot down Xander’s suggestion.



“I don’t suppose we can just ask her nicely,” Tara tried to be the voice of reasoning.



“Yeah,” Anya snorted, “Like that’s going to work. That greedy bitch isn’t giving anything up for free.”



“What about Jeffery? We can ask him to get it for us.” Buffy suggested.



“Well, whatever we’re going to do, whether we beat her up or ask nicely, we better do something soon.” Faith gestured to Patricia and Jeffery, who had just walked into the cafeteria.



****



“...so you found that in your room last night?” Patricia nodded toward the flashlight in Jeffery’s hand.



“Yeah, it was on my bathroom floor, but I don’t know how it got there.” Jeffery put the small device back in his coat as he poured his coffee.



“Maybe somebody left it there,” Patricia had noticed the group at the table. They saw her looking and turned away.



“Who?” Jeffery followed his mother’s gaze. “Them? You think they were in my room? Why?”



Patricia consciously twisted the ring around her finger, “Maybe they were looking for something.” Jeffery noticed the ring his mother was twisting around. “Where’d you get that?” He pointed toward her hand. “Why?” Patricia turned back to her son as she spoke



“Because Tara was looking for a ring like that, but I didn’t know that they sold them in the plaza.” Jeffery explained his reason for questioning.



“Was she?” She curiously looked toward the group, again. “Well they don’t sell them...it’s one of a kind.” And mine, she added in her head. Taking a seat a few tables away, Patricia was facing the group as she continued, “They’re starting to become a nuisance, like a pesky fly that won’t go away.” A sinister smile crossed her face, “And there’s only one way to deal with that sort of problem.”



Jeffery shook his head, “No,” he whispered, knowing what his mother was suggesting.



“No?” Patricia arched an eyebrow, “Do you want to go to prison?” Jeffery lowered his head, “Well, do you? Because when they find out what you did, that’s where you’re going. And do you want to know what they do to men like you in prison?” She smiled when she saw the fear in his eyes.



“I can’t,” he whispered, “Not again. Please don’t make me do this.”



Jeffery fought the urge to back away as his mother leaned forward to caress his cheek. “It’s the only way. Otherwise, we’ll lose everything. Do you understand what I’m saying?” Jeffery swallowed hard and nodded, “Good! Do it soon, and make it look like an accident. I’ve been meaning to renovate the third floor, for a while now.” With that, she rose from her seat and left. Jeffery turned to look at the group before leaving as well.



****





“What was that about?” Xander asked, once Jeffery had left. They had been watching the two of them talk, but were unable to make out any of the conversation.



“They’re planning something! Did you see how Patricia kept looking at us?” The look in the older woman’s eyes, made Willow feel uneasy.



“I think whatever we’re going to do, we better do it soon,” Buffy said, repeating Faith’s earlier statement.



“Buffy’s right,” Tara paused, smiling when Willow squeezed her hand for support. “I think they’re starting to catch onto us. We need to move fast, before we run out of time and the ring activates itself.”



After a few more failed suggestions, several frustrated sighs went around the table, before the group left the cafeteria.



****



Patricia walked into her office, closing the door behind her. She took the silver ring from her finger and set it on her desk. After searching documents and computer sites, she was unable to find anything regarding a powerful opal ring. Adding to her agitation, were the kids from Hudson. If they thought they were going to get her ring and whatever power it possessed, they were sadly mistaken. It was hers, and she was determined to keep it.



Picking the ring up, Patricia frowned when she noticed the stone’s color fade then reappear. Rubbing the surface, she took a closer look and her eyes lit up when a sudden thought struck her. “It’s inside!” she whispered, still staring at the ring. The power was inside the ring. Setting the ring back on her desk, Patricia walked around her chair and grabbed a wooden plaque from the wall. Positioning the heavy plaque above the ring, she raised it in the air before swinging down.









onyxsundrops
 


Re: Update Part 16

Postby bluewillowwitch » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:20 pm

Noooo:shock , she can't do that. The group has to figure something out. Man that was a great update.:applause I don't believe that cliffhanger. You are so :devilish . Update soon. :pray



bluewillowwitch

----------------------

"Fate keeps happening."--Anita Loos

bluewillowwitch
 


Re: Update Part 16

Postby Stroke of Luck » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:24 am

Argh that damn Patricia I hate her more and more. Hope Jeffrey would not do what his mother told him. I mean hey he still has a crush on Tara:mad



Write fast I want to know what happens next



Cu:wave

SoL/Natti



There are two kinds of tears, tears for those who leave you, and tears for those you never let go - Gabrielle/The Quest







Stroke of Luck
 


Re: Update Part 16

Postby barnabasvamp » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:32 am

Definitely a cliffhanger! :shock



Hopefully she won't be able to destroy the ring.

BV

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before"-Mae West

barnabasvamp
 


Re: Update Part 16

Postby muFFin1811 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:15 pm

You're such a tease! :wink

This Fic is becoming better and bette. Like that so much.

Hope to read some more soon.



muFF'

All they gave me was this ticket to heaven, a damn ticket to heaven...

Now I'm restless and I'm running from everything, I'm running from everything - 3 Doors Down



muFFin1811
 


Re: Update Part 17

Postby onyxsundrops » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:31 pm

Note: Sorry this update is a bit shorter than usual, the next one will be longer :wink





Patricia swung down as hard as she could. “Mom?” Caught off guard, the plaque slammed against the edge of her desk, shattering from the impact. The vibration from the force, shook the desk causing the silver ring to fall to the floor. Patricia looked at her broken plaque before scowling at Jeffery.



“What are you doing?” Jeffery asked. He had walked into his mother’s office and saw her preparing to strike her desk with one of her much adored, plaques. The action confused him, causing him to speak up when she didn’t notice him enter the room.



“Nothing,” Patricia’s anger deflated a little, in an attempt to cover up her intentions. “What do you want?” She asked, glancing down at the ring before looking back at Jeffery.



“Why did you destroy your plaque?” He asked, avoiding her question.



He didn’t see the ring, she thought before trying to think of a lie. Not being able to come up with anything, she repeated her earlier question. “What do you want?” Throwing the ruined plaque into the trash, she positioned her foot to block the view of the fallen ring as Jeffery walked toward the desk.



“I wanted to talk to you,” he paused, “About what we talked about earlier.” She stepped closer to the ring, blocking it more, when he came to stand in front of her.



“So you’ve thought of a way to deal with them?” She smiled, “What will it be this time?”



Jeffery built up his courage, “I’m not going to do it!” He held her gaze, finally standing up to her, he smiled inwardly at his own accomplishment.



“What?” Patricia wasn’t sure if she heard him correctly. “What do you mean, you’re not doing it? I want them dead and you will do it.” She spoke firmly, grinding her teeth.



“Why can’t you do it?” Once again, he smiled at his boldness. “You have as much to lose, as I do.” He shrunk back when he saw the stern look on her face.



“Oh, do I?” Patricia smirked, “What’s to stop me from turning you in right now? I’ll tell the police everything you did.” She was still smirking as she continued, “And I have proof.” Pulling her desk drawer open, she pulled out a small black notebook. “I’ve read it a few times and no where in it, am I mentioned.”



Jeffery felt his heart drop, “Where did you find that?” He was staring at his journal, the one that he’d thought he lost a few months ago. She was right, he never wrote about his mother in his journal, he only wrote about that night and the nightmares.



“Where did I find it? Under your mattress. Why do I have it? Well, that’s kind of obvious, isn’t it?” She flipped through the pages as she spoke. “So, are you still backing out?” Patricia smiled when he shook his head no in obedience. “Good! I’ll just hold onto this, until you’ve done your job.”



The ringing of Patricia’s office phone, caused Jeffery to snap out of his gloom. “This discussion is over,” Patricia declared. After waiting for Jeffery to nod and leave, she answered the phone.



While talking to one of her buyers, she picked up the ring from the floor. The color faded in and out again. Soon, she smiled at the thought. Soon she’d have everything she ever wanted. Once the others were gone, she would have her power. Then, she would deal with Jeffery.



****



When Jeffery slammed the door to his hotel room, his anger was radiating off him in waves. He stood in the center of his room, trying to calm himself down. “I can do this,” he whispered to himself, over and over like a silent mantra. Taking a deep breath, he pulled his dresser back to reveal a small box. The box was hidden and only used for emergencies.



Grabbing the box from its hiding place, Jeffery searched around inside. He shut his eyes tightly when he felt the cool metal of his revolver. Taking another breath, he nervously checked the chamber. Empty. Pushing the box back, he slid the dresser back into place. Securing the gun in his belt he covered the bulge with his shirt and left the room.



Walking through the plaza, Jeffery stopped at the sporting goods shop. He stood at the door for a minute before the store clerk noticed him and moved to the counter. “Can I help you?”



Jeffery took slow steps until he reached the counter. With sweaty palms, he pulled his gun from his belt. “I need bullets,” he set the gun on the counter so the clerk could see the model.



The clerk checked the gun, then pulled a box of bullets up from under the counter. “There’s a shortage in this particular type of bullet. I can’t sale you the whole box, but I can sale individual bullets.”



“That’s fine,” Jeffery pulled out his wallet. “Okay, how many do you need?” The clerk asked as he poured a few bullets into his hand.



Jeffery stared at the man, wanting to just back away and leave everything behind. His mother, this island, everything. But he pushed the feeling aside and answered, “Six. I need six bullets.”









onyxsundrops
 


hey good update

Postby bindingwiccan » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:04 pm

GOOD UPDATE! i think faith and buffy should just go and have wild slayer sex! they need it.. andi think the kittens need it too! anyone agree with me? just raise your paws!:banana :dance :dance

bindingwiccan
 


Re: hey good update

Postby Kiwigrrrl » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:04 am

Awesome update!!!



I really love the cliffhangers, and thank you for updating quickly and not leaving us hanging there too long!



I'm looking forward to more.



- Skye.

Kiwigrrrl
 


Re: hey good update

Postby barnabasvamp » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:03 am

Wow, some mother Jeffery has. Thank the gods most are not like her!



:hmm Still wonder what would have happened if she had smashed the ring, but as it needs to be returned, I'm glad she didn't.



Jeffery needs to make a stand, and now would be a good time!:eek

BV

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before"-Mae West

barnabasvamp
 


Re: hey good update

Postby onyxsundrops » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:37 am

Hey,:bigwave

:hmm Wild Slayer sex-that's definitely a maybe bindingwiccan



-Glad you like cliffhangers kiwigrrrl- because there will be a few more before the story ends.



Barnabasvamp- if she had been successful in smashing the ring, it would've been all over, b/c the souls would've been released.



And if anybody is wondering why the stone keeps fading, it's because they're running out of time.



The next update will have some angst, but I promise it won't end like Seeing Red. :rage

Hopefully, I'll update later tonight or tomorrow.



Yvonne:peace

onyxsundrops
 


Re: hey good update

Postby bluewillowwitch » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:32 pm

NO! :eek I can't wait for the next update. You have me on the edge of my seat.



bluewillowwitch

------------------

"Fate keeps happening."--Anita Loos

bluewillowwitch
 


Update Part 18

Postby onyxsundrops » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:41 pm

Notes: Some angst towards the end. Oh and the poem was written by me. It’s not that good, but hey, I tried.:wave





When the group came back from breakfast, they had decided to break up for a few hours. After being cooped up in the hotel trying to think of ways to get the ring back from Patricia, and not being able to think of any solid ideas, they needed some time away.



Realizing and accepting that the world was going to come to a horrible end, Anya and Xander had disappeared. Nobody knew where she had dragged him off to, and from the leer she gave him, they really didn’t want to know. And though neither of them openly admitted it, Faith and Buffy also had the same assumption and had disappeared, as well. Willow and Tara, however, still believed that they would retrieve the ring and go home together, as promised.



The two girls took a walk, and then settled down to have a picnic under one of the huge trees that were scattered around the island. After eating her lunch, Willow rested her head on Tara’s lap as the blonde leaned against the tree, writing in her notebook.



“This feels nice,” Willow said as she made herself more comfortable on Tara’s lap. When she looked around at the people who were laughing and enjoying their day, it was hard to believe that the world could be just a few days away from an apocalypse. Though in her heart, she knew they would succeed, her mind sometimes thought differently. “What are you writing,” she asked, looking up at Tara.



“Nothing,” Willow could see Tara blush slightly, as she closed her notebook, putting it back in her bag. “Uh huh,” Willow smiled, playfully trying to grab the notebook from Tara’s open bag. “It’s nothing, really.” Tara tried to sound convincing, though she knew it wasn’t working.



“If it’s nothing, why can’t I see it?” Willow sat up, placing her hand on the notebook. Tara shrugged, “You can read it.” Willow thought she had upset Tara, when the girl wouldn’t meet her gaze, and deliberately started twisting the grass between her fingers.



“Hey,” Willow took Tara’s hand, kissing her knuckles. “I’m sorry. You know me, always curious about things. I didn’t mean to upset you.” She stroked Tara’s hand as she spoke.



“I’m fine,” Tara smiled, grabbing the notebook from her bag and handing it to Willow. “I-It’s just a poem, but it’s not f-finished yet.” Willow took the book, wanting to read it, but not sure if she should. Sensing the redheads’ hesitation, Tara leaned forward to reassure her with a kiss. “It’s okay,” she stressed her words with another kiss.



With given permission, Willow opened the book and began to read. Tears brimming in her eyes as she read to herself.



I want to feel the coolness of her breath

Against the fire of my burning soul

I want to take the pain from her death

And feed her life through heaven’s bowl

I want to wipe the tear from her cheek

The sweet texture of skin under my fingertip

I want to bathe in every word she may speak

Drowning in the sensual smile upon her lip

I want to know her fears and take them as my own

I want to be the reality of her dream

The thread when her broken heart needs to be sown

I want to be the love flowing in her bloodstream

I want to find her when she’s lost

When the darkness surrounds her, will she let me be her light?

If there’s a price for her love, I’ll pay any cost

Does she know my heart stops when she’s in my sight?




Looking up from the poem, Willow fought for words so she did the only thing she could. Leaning forward, she took Tara’s lips in a heated kiss; the notebook was forgotten as the kiss deepened. They lost themselves in the feel of each other’s bodies, only pulling apart when they became aware of their surroundings.



“I-I was going to let you read it when I finished,” Tara spoke, after catching her breath.



“You wrote it for me?” Willow paused, “Well, of course it’s for me. Unless there’s somebody else,” she added with a teasing grin.



“Well…” Tara smiled mischievously before nudging Willow, “No, there’s nobody but you.”



“Good,” Willow moved in for another kiss, not caring if anybody was watching. Tara happily filled the gap as their lips met once again.

****



He watched them kiss under the tree. His mindset on his goal, he would go through with his mothers’ request. He just needed the right time to make his move. Which he thought would be soon, when he saw the girls gathering their belongings as they got up. Following them, he fought his jealousy when they held hands and moved in for short kisses.



When they entered the elevator to go up, he hurried up the stairs. Their laughter filled the empty hallway, as he waited for Willow to open her door. Tara followed through the door behind Willow, leaving the door open. Calming the swift beat of his heart, he could hear them talking inside the room as he stood outside the door. Clammy hands pulled the revolver from his belt as he entered the room.



He saw Willow walk into the bathroom, and Tara stood in front of the window with her back toward him. Sensing a presence behind her, Tara smiled as she turned around, expecting to see Willow. Her smile disappeared as she turned into the barrel of Jeffery’s gun aimed at her heart.



“D-Don’t move,” Jeffery’s nervousness caused him to stutter, the gun shaking in his grasp. He heard Willow come out from the bathroom and switched positions, this time pointing the gun at Tara’s head as he stood behind her.



“Hey Ta-,” Willow’s words died in her throat when she saw Jeffery’s gun and the fear in Tara’s petrified eyes. “J-Jeffery, what are you doing?” She moved forward slowly, and then stopped when the gun dug further into the side of Tara’s head, causing her to whimper.



“I’m supposed to kill you. All of you!” Jeffery’s sweaty finger grazed over the trigger. Tears formed in his eyes as he spoke. “I can’t go to prison. I-I can’t. I won’t,” he finished with fierce determination.



“Jeffery, just put the gun down,” Willow held her hands up as she stepped forward more.



“Don’t!” Jeffery yelled. He curved his arm around Tara’s throat, pressing the gun harder. Tara was too afraid to speak, but her eyes pleaded with Willow to stay still.

****



“Did you hear that?” Buffy asked Faith. They lay naked, bodies intertwined, bright in the afterglow of their lovemaking. What had started out as a simple kiss, escalated when hands started to roam. Both thinking that if they were going to die, they would at least go out happy.



“Yeah, I heard it,” Faith listened carefully, picking up the sound of voices from Willow’s room. They heard a male voice yell again, before jumping from the bed to get dressed. When they entered Willow’s room, they saw Jeffery backed against the window, holding a gun to Tara’s head, while Willow continued to plead with him.



Willow turned to see Faith and Buffy enter the room, “Stay back,” she advised before focusing back on Tara and Jeffery.



“Where are the others?” Jeffery asked. He had backed himself and Tara into the window, so he could see around him. On cue, Xander and Anya stumbled into the room and came to a halt behind Faith. “Good! You’re all here now. That makes this a lot easier,” Jeffery pulled the hammer back with his thumb.



“No, wait,” Willow shouted. “Why? Why are you doing this?”



“I can’t go to prison,” Jeffery repeated his words from earlier, tightening his hold on Tara.



“N-Nobody said you were,” Willow said. “Who told you that you were going to prison?”



“She did,” He referred to his mother as he spoke. “She said they’d send me to prison. And they will, when you turn me into the police.”



“We aren’t turning you in,” Willow tried to calm him down, so he would release Tara.



“Don’t lie to me,” Jeffery shouted. “You know what I did. My stepfather, that boy, both dead because of me.” Before Willow or anybody could speak, Jeffery continued, “It’s over. After I do this, it’ll be over,” his words were more to himself than the others.



At once, the group moved forward as Jeffery pulled the trigger.























Edited by: onyxsundrops at: 4/23/03 3:17:53 pm
onyxsundrops
 


Re: Update Part 18

Postby muFFin1811 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:16 pm

NO. He cannot do that. Man Jeffrey is such an idiot. I'm so :angry .



Great update!

Keep on smilin' :wink .

muFF' :grin

All they gave me was this ticket to heaven, a damn ticket to heaven...

Now I'm restless and I'm running from everything, I'm running from everything - 3 Doors Down



muFFin1811
 


Re: Update Part 18

Postby Washi » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:06 pm

Great update! You can't keep us waiting for long, right?

I love it, gota love the angst! :grin

---------



"See? I've mastered this tact crap." Anya in Tears Of The Goddess by Lisa

Washi
 


Re: Update Part 18

Postby barnabasvamp » Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:35 am

Wow, talk about a cliffhanger!! :no



Lets hope that one of the slayers was quick enough to stop Jeffery's bullet from hurting Tara!



Waiting for more! :whistle

BV

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before"-Mae West

barnabasvamp
 


Re: Update Part 18

Postby bluewillowwitch » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:38 am

Oh My God!:bow You can't leave it there!:eek What happened?!:thud Please let them all be okay?:pray I can't wait for the next update.:read These cliffhangers are killing me.:devilish Love the story.:bounce :applause :clap :bow



bluewillowwitch

--------------------

"Fate keeps happening."--Anita Loos

bluewillowwitch
 


AHH!H

Postby bindingwiccan » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:57 am

AH!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :'(:'( no dieing!



-a sad bindingwiccan





good story.. if they dont die lol

bindingwiccan
 


Update Part 19

Postby onyxsundrops » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:06 pm

Notes: a little more angst:devil



At once, the group moved forward as Jeffery pulled the trigger. Tara heard the force of the bullet whistle past, whooshing in her ear. The sudden bang echoed, causing her to scream and drop to the floor. Jeffery had angled the gun only inches away from Tara’s head when he pulled the trigger, as a result, the bullet struck the television, shattering the screen. Buffy and Faith rushed forward, intent on attacking Jeffery while the Willow and the others pulled Tara away from the commotion.



Willow held the shaking blonde, both crying as they turned back to the scene. Anya and Xander stayed back, also watching the fight before them.



Buffy had punched Jeffery in the jaw, while Faith struggled to grab the gun. Jeffery fell to the ground, the gun falling from his hand. There was a pile up as the three of them scrambled for the revolver, hitting each other in the process.



It was clear who came out on top when the two girls jumped back from Jeffery. He wiped the trickle of blood from his lip, aiming the gun back at the group. “You stupid bitch, you broke my tooth,” Jeffery glared at Buffy. He rose to his feet, spitting blood onto the carpet.



“Give me a chance and I’ll do more than that,” Buffy retorted, though she knew she shouldn’t threaten him, since he was the one with the gun.



“I have more bullets. Just because I didn’t kill her, doesn’t mean I won’t kill you.” Jeffery’s voice dripped with menace. By now, everybody had backed up. Anya inched toward the still open door, but Jeffery saw her from the corner of his eye. “Get back here!” He pointed the gun in her direction. Anya thought about making a run for the hallway, but she couldn’t risk the safety of the others. “Close the door!” Jeffery ordered, still aiming toward her. Still weighing her options, Anya closed the door, sighing in defeat.



Willow was part relieved and angry that most of the rooms on their floor were not occupied. Relieved that none of the other guests were nosy enough to come investigate the yelling and the sound of a gunshot, possibly getting injured in the process. And angry that nobody was around to call security or the police.



Jeffery saw the fear in each of their eyes, knowing it was too late to turn back. His aim shifted from each person, as if he were deciding who to shoot first. In a swift motion that shocked all of them, Jeffery held the gun to his own head.



Mixed emotions went around the group. On one hand, after everything that Jeffery had done, it seemed fitting for him to take his own life. But on the other hand, there was still hope and nobody wanted to see him to die.



“No,” Tara barely whispered. She moved forward, despite Willow’s physical protest. The blonde gave Willow a pleading look and the redhead released her hold, nodding in understanding. “Jeffery, please don’t do this,” Tara held her hands up as she spoke, showing him that she wasn’t a threat.



“Why?” The young man began to shake as he pressed harder into his temple. “I have nothing to live for. Nothing!”



“Yes, you do. You have so much to live for,” the honesty in Tara’s words, made him believe things could be different. But just as soon as the belief had appeared, it left just as quickly.



“What? What do I have to live for huh? My mother treats me like shit, but she’s all I have.” His voice was thick from fighting back tears. “I don’t have anybody else. No girlfriend...nothing.” With a bitter laugh he continued, “I was stupid to even think you would be interested in me...because you love her,” he glanced at Willow. Tara followed his gaze, before turning back to Jeffery.



Sadness crossed her face as she continued to witness Jeffery’s inner struggle. “But it’s okay. I don’t blame you for not wanting to be with a murderer. Hell, I wouldn’t want to be with me either.”



Seeing the emotions play across Tara’s face, Willow stepped forward. “We can help you, Jeffery. Just put the gun down.”



“Help me? You can help me? Can you reverse time huh?” He finally let his tears fall, not bothering to wipe them away. “Well, can you?”



Willow shook her head, “No, I can’t.”



“I thought so,” he sniffed loudly, “I never do anything right. At least this way, I’ll be free.” Jeffery tightened his fingers around the handle.



“Here’s your chance,” Tara said, stepping back to hold Willow’s hand. “This is your chance to do something right. Just put the gun down. Please!”



Tara’s words touched something within him and with new resolve he took the gun from his head and once again aimed it toward the group. “You’re right! This is my chance to do it right.” Wiping the stray tears from his cheek, he nodded as he spoke. “I’ll do this for her, then she’ll finally appreciate me.”



Rooted in her spot from fear, the blonde felt Willow trying to pull her back. But she remained still. “Who? Your mother? She’ll appreciate you for this?” Tara calmed the tremble in her voice. “Jeffery, your mother needs to be stopped. We know what she did to you...she twisted your mind and played on your weakness,” she hoped he didn’t take her last comment as a taunt. “If she isn’t stopped, none of this will matter. Because none of us, will be here.” Tara sighed heavily as she finished.



“What are you talking about?” Jeffery asked. The gun was shaking in his hand and his aim wavered a bit.



Willow looked back at the others who hadn’t said anything during the conversation. She decided that telling Jeffery about the ring wouldn’t hurt. Especially if he was going to kill them. “Your mother has a ring. A ring that could destroy us all. And not just the people in this room, but everybody.” She stressed her last word.



“A ring?” He asked sarcastically, as if one single ring could cause that much damage.



“Yes, a very powerful ring. And if we don’t get it from her, it will release hell on earth...literally,” Willow added.



Jeffery thought back to the ring his mother wore when he last saw her. It was odd the way she acted when he asked about it. And though she didn’t know, he did see it on the floor as she consciously tried to block it from his view. But if it was so powerful, why hadn’t she told him about it. He had to admit, she did treat him badly but she would never keep something like this from him. Renewed anger rose up in him...they were lying to him. Playing mind-games so he would betray his own mother.



“You’re lying!” Jeffery shouted. The outburst was unexpected by the group. Why would they lie about this, of all things? “You’re just trying to turn me away from her. You want me to betray her.” The gun, which had begun to waver, was once again aimed toward the others.



“Jeffery, we aren’t lying,” Tara voice pleaded for him to trust her.



“Yes, you are!” Angry tears streamed down his face, his eyes were raw from crying. “She wouldn’t hide something like that from me.”



“She would and she has,” Tara responded evenly, though not enough to anger him. “She’s trapped you and only you can free yourself.” She slowly stepped forward.



He felt the truth in her voice, “Why do I let her do this to me?” Tara didn’t know if he was asking her or himself. “I’ve done everything for her and she treats me like I don’t even matter,” he saw Tara take a few more steps toward him. His conflicted emotions gave way, causing a sob to rock his entire body. He lowered the gun and watched as the blonde overlapped her hands over his. Without protest he let Tara take the gun from him.



Once Tara had the gun, she let out a ragged breath before emptying the chamber, letting the bullets clatter onto the floor. Buffy came forward to take the gun from her and threw it in the trash. The group had moved in, huddling around Jeffery, who had curled himself into the corner and began to cry.







Edited by: onyxsundrops at: 4/24/03 6:55:18 pm
onyxsundrops
 


Re: Update Part 19

Postby Washi » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:27 pm

Thank god they're all ok. :grin

Yep, Jeff's mom needs to get her ass kicked.

---------



"See? I've mastered this tact crap." Anya in Tears Of The Goddess by Lisa

Washi
 


Whoa

Postby bluewillowwitch » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:07 am

Whoa,

I'm glad ever one is okay. That was a powerful update. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.



bluewillowwitch

-------

"Fate keeps happening."--Anita Loos

bluewillowwitch
 


Re: Whoa

Postby Stroke of Luck » Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:08 pm

Holy shit there were a lot of emotions, I am glad that Tara talked to him and that he trust her. She just has that "something" GO FOR TARA:bounce



Hope they help Jeffrey and get his stupid MOM:rage



CU:wave

SoL/Natti



There are two kinds of tears, tears for those who leave you, and tears for those you never let go - Gabrielle/The Quest

Stroke of Luck
 


Re: Whoa

Postby onyxsundrops » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:12 pm

Hey:wave

Okay so, I've switched a lot of the ending around, especially with my last update, so I'm working toward a new conclusion. I have a few ideas but I promise that overall, Patricia:smash will get what she deserves.

If my muse kicks in, I'll have an update posted by tomorrow!



Yvonne:peace

onyxsundrops
 


Re: Update Part 20

Postby onyxsundrops » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:32 pm

Notes: cliffhanger :devil





Jeffery had left the room shortly after the incident. After he had calmed down enough, he apologized for his actions, though he knew a simple apology couldn’t make up for what he had planned to do. But the group forgave him, and he wondered how they could forgive him so easily when he couldn’t even forgive himself. Wanting to know more about the ring his mother possessed, they filled him in on what they knew and he offered to help. For him, it wasn’t complete redemption from what he had done, but a small atonement.



He made his way back to his mother’s office, where he could hear her shouting into the phone on the other side of the door. He felt bad for the person on the other end, knowing what it was like to be on the receiving end of his mother’s anger. If he was going to help get the ring, he would have to play along and hope that he didn’t crack under his mother’s intense scrutiny.



He took a deep breath, before knocking twice and entering her office. Patricia continued to yell through the telephone as she motioned for him to sit down. Releasing a final shout, she slammed the phone down and yanked the cord from the wall.



Patricia was shaking from anger because one of her clients pulled his account. Hoping for some good news, she looked over at Jeffery. Something seemed different about him. He wasn’t cowering back in his seat like usual, but there was a sense of confidence around him. Holding his gaze, she smiled, “So I take it that you’ve taken care of those kids?”



Though Jeffery was showing confidence on the surface, inside he was fighting the urge to shrink back from his mother’s malicious smirk. He straightened his posture, “Not yet, I-.” Jeffery was cut off before he could finish.



“Why not?” The agitation was clear in Patricia’s voice. She drummed her fingers against the black book that was still on her desk.



“I-I thought that with the tonight’s banquet, it would hurt the business if the tourist’s thought there was a killer running loose. It would probably give them the wrong idea about the island.” He was relieved when he saw his mother’s features soften.



The woman gave her son an approving smile, “Good thinking!” She sat on the edge of her desk, scratching her finger. “It’s about time you did something right.” She continued to scratch her finger, but this time the skin was starting to redden.



“What’s wrong?” Jeffery asked, spotting the silver ring on his mother’s finger.



Patricia took the ring off, scratching vigorously, “It’s that damn ring...probably isn’t even pure silver.” Putting the ring into her desk drawer, she massaged the irritated skin.



“Do you want me to look at it, to make sure it’s real?” Jeffery leaned in with his hand reaching for the drawer.



“No!” Patricia’s outburst made him quickly withdraw. “I’ll just have it checked out later,” her voice softened, “Let’s go get ready for tonight’s dinner.” Forcing a smile, she ushered Jeffery out of the door before following.



****



“Do you think this one is okay?” Willow asked. Tara inspected the item in the redhead’s hand before shaking her head no.



“No, it’s too shiny.” The two girls were looking through a box of rings. After talking with Jeffery, the gang formed a plan in which they would switch Patricia’s ring with a fake.



Now on the third container, the girls were starting to give up. They had searched through dozens of rings and necklaces, and had yet to find anything that resembled what they were looking for. The store owner had allowed them to search through the boxes in the back of the store, so they wouldn’t disrupt his business.



“This is it!” Tara pulled a slightly tarnished ring from the box.



“Are you sure it’s the right one?” Willow asked, as Tara cleaned the ring with her shirt.



“Yeah, this is how Anya described it.” The blonde rubbed the surface of the greenish stone. Breathing a sign of relief, they refilled the boxes and paid for the ring.



****



After returning to his room to get dressed, Jeffery went down to greet his mother in the lounge. He checked to make sure that his mother hadn’t put the ring back on, before making an excuse to go back to his room for his necktie.



Telling Patricia that he would meet her in the ballroom, Jeffery jogged up the steps and knocked on Tara’s door.



“Hey, did you guys get it?” He asked Willow when she answered the door. It was a bit awkward to look at her, especially after his earlier revelation.



“Yeah, we found it. Come in,” she held the door open, frowning when he hesitated.



“I can’t. I’m supposed to be meeting my mother for dinner. I just thought I’d come by to tell you that she’s not wearing the ring. So if you’re going to switch, now would be a good time.” He paused to check his watch, “I don’t know how long the dinner will last, but the ring’s in her office desk.”



“Okay, we’ll go now,” Tara had come to stand beside Willow. “Where’s her office?”



“It’s on the first floor, down the hall from the cafeteria. Her name’s on the door, so you’ll know when you see it.” Jeffery checked the time again, “I have to go,” he pulled the tie from his pocket, straightening it around his neck. “Be careful!” He whispered before running back down the stairs.



“I’m going to go tell the others,” Tara moved into the hallway, but Willow stopped her. “Are you sure we should tell them? I mean, they might want to come and it’ll look really suspicious having a bunch of kids hovering around Patricia’s office.”



Tara could see the logic in Willow’s words and after the last fiasco, it’ll be easier if just the two of them went. “Okay.” Tara grabbed the ring from the table before following Willow out the door.



****



Jeffery was right...Patricia’s room wasn’t hard to miss, especially with the huge bold letters engraved into her door. As Tara turned the doorhandle, the door slowly opened with a creak. For a woman who had her bedroom looked up so securely, it was surprising that Patricia’s door was unlocked. The two girls shared a look of amusement, before closing the door behind them.



Moving quickly, Willow turned on the desk lamp and begun pulling open the drawers. When she pulled open the corner drawer, she tapped on the desk to get Tara’s attention. The ring was squeezed in between a stapler and an address book. Not wasting any more time, Tara took the ring from her pocket and switched with the original. Slipping the opal ring into her pocket, the blonde pulled an unexpected Willow into a hug. They could feel each others hearts pounding as they smiled in relief and shared a kiss.



While moving toward the door, hand in hand, Willow couldn’t help but think that the whole situation was a bit too easy. She soon regretted her words when the door opened, casting a silhouette in the doorway. The two girls jumped back in surprise.



“What the hell are you doing in here?” Patricia’s voice was unmistakable, but the shock didn’t kick in until she stepped forward, showing the venom and anger in her eyes.



onyxsundrops
 


Re: Update Part 20

Postby muFFin1811 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:43 pm

Oh no. Not again. I hope the girls will be save. PLEASE:pray .



This is a great update. Hope to :read more soon.



muFF':moo

All they gave me was this ticket to heaven, a damn ticket to heaven...

Now I'm restless and I'm running from everything, I'm running from everything - 3 Doors Down



muFFin1811
 


Re: Update Part 20

Postby barnabasvamp » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:22 pm

OMG, yet another cliffhanger!!



I know you will fix everything, right??:grin

BV

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before"-Mae West

barnabasvamp
 


Re: Update Part 20

Postby bluewillowwitch » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:52 pm

Great update! Can't wait for more.



bluewillowwitch

------------------------

"Fate keeps happening."--Anita Loos

bluewillowwitch
 


Re: Part 21

Postby onyxsundrops » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:02 pm

“No answer,” Buffy knocked again on Tara’s door, growing more and more impatient.



“Maybe they’re sleep,” Xander shrugged with a weak excuse.



“At 7:30?” Anya gave her boyfriend an incredulous look.



“Well, maybe they were tired from...,”



“Xander, don’t even finish that sentence,” Anya glared.



“I was just going to say that maybe they were tired from earlier.”



“No, you weren’t! I saw the look on your face, you were going to sa-,” Anya was cut short by Faith.



“God, would you two just stop bickering!” Faith didn’t want to yell, but it was the only way to get through to them. “I swear...you two are worse than my parents.”



“Look, they could’ve gone for a walk or something,” Buffy suggested, once the arguing stopped. “How about we go down and check the plaza, maybe they’re out shopping.”



****



After searching the plaza and the area around the hotel, the group still hadn’t found Willow and Tara.



“So, what do we do now?” Xander and Anya were munching on some cookies that they bought from the store.



They looked to Buffy who wasn’t paying attention to them, but instead was watching Jeffery walk briskly through the hotel lounge.



“He’s in a bit of a hurry,” Faith caught what Buffy was looking at.



“Yeah. Let’s go see where he’s off to.” Buffy whispered. “Stay back a little, so he doesn’t see us.” Though Jeffery had apologized earlier, a small part of her still didn’t trust him. And she was usually the type to trust her intuition, over anything else.



Anya and Xander were oblivious to the conversation between Faith and Buffy. Their unawareness that they were supposed to remain unseen, became obvious when Xander shouted Jeffery’s name, causing the young man to turn and look at the group.



Buffy scowled at Xander, while clinching her fist. “What?” He asked when Jeffery started walking toward them.



“Hey,” Jeffery greeted the group, noticing the hard glare that Buffy gave Xander. “What are guys up to?”



“Not much, just looking for Willow and Tara,” Anya piped in, brushing the crumbs from her shirt.



“Have you seen them?” Buffy asked.



“No, I haven’t seen them since...since earlier.” Jeffery knew he was lying, but in a way, it was still the truth. He really hadn’t seen them since earlier when he told them about the ring.



Sensing the hesitation, Buffy changed the subject. “So where were you headed? You looked like you were in a hurry. Are you late for something?” She asked, noticing his formal attire.



“Yeah, I uh, I’m late for dinner,” he fidgeted with his tie as he spoke.



“You should go, we don’t want to make you too late,” Buffy smiled. Jeffery nodded before excusing himself and walking off. Buffy noted that he had walked away in the opposite direction of where he had been walking when Xander called him.



Her smile vanished, “I don’t trust him,” she turned to the other three. “I have this feeling that he’s hiding something.”



“Or it could be the fact that he wanted to kill us,” though she accepted his apology, Anya wasn’t too keen on becoming friends with a man who wanted to kill her.



“Whatever it is, we need to keep an eye on him,” Faith said. “C’mon, we should keep looking.”



****



“I said, what the hell are you doing in here?” Patricia stepped forward, blocking the girls’ only exit. Well, their only exit besides the window that Tara keep glancing back at. The girls still hadn’t answered Patricia’s question, so she advanced toward them, causing them to back further into the room.



“Since you aren’t saying anything, let me guess,” the woman walked to her desk and pulled the corner drawer open. “Did you honestly think that I wouldn’t have noticed?” Patricia held the fake ring under the lamp, noticing the tarnished silver.



Tara shifted uncomfortably, feeling heat radiate off the ring in her pocket. There was a feeling of sudden warmth through the fabric of her jeans, then it slowly faded.



“Where is it?” Patricia asked harshly, visually searching the couple.



“Check their pockets,” a voice said from the doorway. The girls stared in shock, but Patricia seemed unfazed by her son’s appearance.



Willow’s shock turned into anger as she tried to charge forward, “You set us up!” She would’ve hit Jeffery if it hadn’t been for Tara holding her back. “You son of a bitch.” She continued to struggle in Tara’s embrace.



“Willow don’t,” Tara loosened her hold when Willow calmed down. “What...why?” She asked Jeffery when he walked in, closing the door behind him. “Why would you want the ring, when you know what it can do?”



Jeffery chuckled as he moved to stand beside his mother. “Did you actually think that I would believe that pathetic story?” He paused, “Besides, mom and I had a little talk and we’ve decided to share the power. Now hand it over!”



Tara felt the sudden heat again as she dug into her pocket for the ring. Pulling it from the material, she held it in her hand. Willow shook her head as if to tell the blonde not to give Jeffery the ring. Patricia smiled at her son as he moved forward, but before he could touch it, the ring shook, releasing an intense flash of green that engulfed the entire room.











onyxsundrops
 


Re: Part 21

Postby nika » Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:38 pm

:shock Evil cliffhangers! I just love this fic.:bow

nika
 

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Pens Archive (Authors N-Z)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design