The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Listening To Fear Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 11:59 am 

posted 11-28-2000 13:59 EST (US)
Here's the place to discuss this week's Buffy episode.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 12:22 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 14:22 EST (US)
I saw it last night...good ep, it had several great scenes...
-Willow being all excited after dusting two vamps...damn she is SO cute!
-W/T on the rooftop, Tara giving the constellations new names, the big pineapple...LMAO...and then Willow snuggling with Tara...AWWWWW
-That "alien" demon was a trip, like a cross between a little demon and a cockroach...lol
-The last scene between Buffy and her mom was great, Buffy telling her that Dawn isn't her daughter and Joyce making her promise that if something happens to her that Buffy will take care of Dawn, very touching scene.

One thing wrong with this ep...not enough Spike
And I would of liked more W/T scenes but that's ok, just seeing Tara being such a scoobie is great, she's really part of the gang now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 12:24 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 14:24 EST (US)
I think it's nice to have a W/T scene at all these days. Xander and Anya haven't really had any alone time hardly at all this year. And I agree, it's nice to see Tara completely integrated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 12:29 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 14:29 EST (US)
Maybe we should figure out which stars make up the Big Pineapple and start petitioning the astronomical societies to get it recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 12:29 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 14:29 EST (US)
Ain't It Cool News Review of Listening to Fear.

I can't believe we're already nine full episodes into the season for BUFFY. It seems to race by every year, and this year more than ever before. Between this and the newly reenergized X-FILES, I'm having a great time with the season so far. Bring it on, Herc!!

BUFFY 5.9 FAQ

WHAT’S IT CALLED?
“Listening to Fear.”

WHO’S RESPONSIBLE?
Teleplay is credited to Rebecca Rand Kirshner, a “Freaks and Geeks” vet whose last “Buffy” contribution was “Out of My Mind,” the episode in which Riley lost his Initiative superpowers.

WHAT’S IT ABOUT?
As Joyce’s condition deteriorates to a point where she experiences severe bouts of dementia, a meteor-riding “queller demon” falls from the sky – summoned to rid Sunnydale of demented people like Joyce.

THE BIG NEWS?
Near episode’s end, we learn definitively whether or not Ben the Intern is evil, and whether or not he has any connection to Glory.

WHAT’S A QUELLER DEMON?
Easily one of the creepiest things ever to slither into Sunnydale. Half-human-dwarf, half-beetle-larva, it lurks unnoticed upon ceilings and vomits vile mucus into the faces of its prospective victims. Even Spike gets the willies.

IS RILEY FINN A VAMPIRE?
Rules of the Buffyverse dictate that getting your blood sucked by a vampire is not enough to make you a vampire; you must also suck the vampire. This episode offers no evidence that Riley sucked. There is a fairly disturbing pre-title shot in this – the final November sweeps “Buffy” - that suggests Riley continues to indulge an interest in vampires that is not purely academic.

DO WE LEARN MORE ABOUT DAWN?
Turns out Joyce and the “curds and whey” guy are not the only mental defectives who have suspicions about Buffy’s new sib. Remember the security guard Glory tormented four episodes ago? Here’s what his drooly shell has to say as he brushes up against Dawn in the hospital: “Careful. The facts say a picnic is in order. What is that thing?” he asks, turning for a better look at Dawn. “There – there is no data! There are no pictures on this one there! What is the data? There’s no one in there!”

IS GLORY HENCHMAN DREG BACK THIS WEEK?
He is.

IS SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR ONE FUNNY BABE?
She is. Check out her reading of the line “Homework?” when Willow brings her some.

HOW DOES IT END?
As all scoobs look on, Joyce is wheeled into brain surgery.

SO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT WEEK TO LEARN JOYCE’S FATE??
Longer. A repeat of the season-launching “Buffy vs. Dracula” airs next Tuesday.

LINE MOST LIKELY TO STIR TALKBACK DISCUSSION?
“Just like I’ve done my whole damn life!”

HERC’S RATING FOR “BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER” 5.9?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:34 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 16:34 EST (US)
all i wanna know... tara's hair? is it back to *normal* or still whatever it was in *shadow*?

ok, instead of posting again i'm adding on. her hair is up so i cant tell but it looks dark still. but what i really wanted to say was i just saw the first segment of Buffy and my mouth dropped after seeing the blanket scene. it's eerily similar to a scene i wrote for my WTWTA fic where Willow and Tara are sitting on a blanket and doing other stuff. but the ending of that scene in my fic is basically everything that willow said in this ep. i have a little bit more dialogue but i cant friggin believe it. this is the second time this has happened. teehee! i can be a buffy writer! just kidding.

I want willow's sweater!

ok, i'm off to finish watching the show.

[This message has been edited by Rane (edited 11-28-2000).]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 8:21 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 22:21 EST (US)
What's with Willow avoiding Tara's question about the hospital??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 8:37 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 22:37 EST (US)
i had this strange feeling of deja vu watching the incredibly sweet roof scene, like i saw this before. hmmm, where'd i read something like that?

does anyone else see riley's serving himself up at the all-u-can-eat vampire buffet as seriously kinky? i like the way everybody is kind of falling apart at the same time, just waiting for spike to do something completely twisted.

is joyce a goner? the final scene was so cliched it made me wonder if joss is yanking our collective chain.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:24 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 23:24 EST (US)
you know what i thought was really cool? the crazy guy saying "careful, the facts say a picnic is in order"...then the next scene is willow and tara having a picnic on the rooftop and a big snot demon carrying meteor crashes to earth (if you look closely you can see the picnic supplies on the lower right). anyway, that was cool!

i don't think willow necessarily avoided tara's question about the hospital as much as answered it with "i don't want to talk about it, i just want to be here with you and forget all the bad stuff" silence. tara, thankfully, picked up on it quick and went into comforting silly mode with the big pineapple stuff. this scene just reinforces for me how perfect they are together...such a romantic boob i am...ahhhhhhh.

riley was just creepy this whole ep.

[This message has been edited by hollowchick (edited 11-28-2000).]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:32 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 23:32 EST (US)
So, was it just me, or did anyone else notice their wardrobe wasn't that bad in this ep. Will was color coordinated in the first scene...Her sweater was cool later on (minus the little pieces of thread at ends of the sleeves). Tara looked hot in that turtle neck...and did anyone else notice her midriff at the end?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:57 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 23:57 EST (US)
Two nit questions. On the rooftop scene, what was the red thing sitting next to Willow's boots to the right of the blanket? Was that a cooler or something? And were Willow and Tara holding hands or just standing next to each other as Joyce is wheeled in?

Also, does anyone have the date of the next new Buffy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 9:59 pm 

posted 11-28-2000 23:59 EST (US)
That scene where Spike picked Buffy up, did it remind anyone else of the hand clasp scene in "hush", it was no where near as intense. But it seemed filmed in the same way camera focussing in on the just the hands and everything. All in all a pretty good ep, loved the rooftop scene and Riley having that vamp suck on his arm was creepy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 11:08 pm 

posted 11-29-2000 01:08 EST (US)
My VCR didn't record the ep! I can't believe it screwed up...or maybe i did. Anyway..if anyone EVER gets a clip of that rooftop scen online...let me know! What an incredibly cute moment it seems!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 11:16 pm 

posted 11-29-2000 01:16 EST (US)
I liked this ep. It had some cute moments (W/T on the roof) and some really intense ones as well. The Joyce storyline is so sad- I really hope she survives this. Buffy's breaking down as she's doing the dishes felt so real to me. I'm glad that Joyce now knows about Dawn.

Riley's really, really losing it. Can't decide if I feel sorry for him or if I wanna kick his butt for being so self-absorbed and wallowing in self-pity while Buffy's going through so much with her mom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 11:41 pm 

posted 11-29-2000 01:41 EST (US)
I have the scene on RM. I am going on ICQ now, click on the icon above to message me if you want it.

OH YES! Was that Tara in pants?? I believe that it was! I love it. God granted me a wish.

[This message has been edited by xita (edited 11-29-2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 12:06 am 

posted 11-29-2000 02:06 EST (US)
Willow looked pretty cool tonight, too. I wonder if they have a new wardrobe person.

I remember reading an interview once with the woman who did wardrobe back in season 1 & 2 and her talking about want to give the girls a "fresh, young look." I almost choked to death on my granola, remembering all those outfits with Buffy's sleeves longer than her arms. They really had that "Mom buys all my clothes at Sears" look down.

I know i'm a sick puppy but now i can't wait to see Buffy & Spike kickin' it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 12:13 am 

posted 11-29-2000 02:13 EST (US)
I had a lot of "FINALLY!" moments during this ep.

First - Willow at the hospital bringing gifts for the Summers women. Given her history with Buffy, she should have been there a LONG time ago.

Second - Tara completely integrated into the Scoobies (really started last ep when she provided some insight into Glory being older than written history). She's out at the meteor scene and contributing freely and easily. Our girl seems to have settled into the gang quite nicely.

Third - I KNEW Ben was somehow related to Glory. It was too obvious and other folks have probably already commented more eloquently on this.

Yuck Moment - What is up with Riley? That scene with the vamp feeding on his arm just totally creeped me out. What a duffus!

The romantic in me was wanting Spike to show up earlier when Buffy was crying while washing dishes (I cry when I was dishes, too.) Buffy needed a hug in a BIG way. My reaction surprised me because, until that moment, I haven't been a big fan of the B/S shipper. Hmmm....

Finally, whoever put those bell bottoms on Willow should be killed - slowly and painfully.

Stella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 12:29 am 

posted 11-29-2000 02:29 EST (US)
Oh, possible foreshadowing from Restless-

The scene where Buffy's mom is behind the wall, and Buffy mentions that her friends are in danger. She laughs in a very inappropriate way and says she's sorry and that a mouse is playing with her knees (a rather strange, off-the-cuff comment). It might be a stretch, but it reminded me in tone and awkwardness of some of Joyce's tumor-induced outbursts in tonight's ep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 2:09 am 

posted 11-29-2000 04:09 EST (US)
For sure, Joss does nothing without intent. Everything means something, except maybe the cheese guy, although, come to think of it, Willow told Riley that Buffy likes cheese.
There are no coincidences in the Buffyverse.

What i want to know is just how long has stalker boy been lurking in the cellar?

One other thought- this show just keeps breaking new ground in depicting a romantic, affectionate, same-sex relationship as an everyday, no big deal, no-one-even-notices kind of thing. I'm psyched. Joss rocks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 6:10 am 

posted 11-29-2000 08:10 EST (US)
quote:
Originally posted by Wiccagrrl:
Oh, possible foreshadowing from Restless-

The scene where Buffy's mom is behind the wall, and Buffy mentions that her friends are in danger. She laughs in a very inappropriate way and says she's sorry and that a mouse is playing with her knees (a rather strange, off-the-cuff comment). It might be a stretch, but it reminded me in tone and awkwardness of some of Joyce's tumor-induced outbursts in tonight's ep.

Not only that, but I believe Buffy has the power to save her mom. "Well, you could always break through the wall."

quote:
From Ain't It Cool News Review: "This episode offers no evidence that Riley sucked."

Yeah...riiiiiiight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 7:51 am 

posted 11-29-2000 09:51 EST (US)
sigh...my internet connection was down last night...damn mindspring DSL. so i had to content myself with watching LTF sans kitty board discussion. i hadn't realized quite how much i looked forward to hearing everybody's comments on the eps!

some belated random thoughts from my brain:

i loved loved *loved* the way tara's voice sounded in the rooftop scene. sort of soft and husky. so sexy!

i also loved it when tara showed willow the Big Pineapple, and willow says all wide-eyed "it's so big!", and tara gets this 'you're so cute!' smile on her face and says "hence the name." so much adorableness.

know what else i loved about the rooftop scene? it was so *long*. unlike other cute w/t scenes, that only last like 30 seconds, this one kept going and going. the writers seem committed to devoting some serious screentime to our two favorite wiccans, and it's great!

xita, i hope you're with me in firmly believing that some serious smoochies were occurring before we caught up with w & t on the roof... i think there's probably a good reason that they had to start wearing turtlenecks, too... *g*

a beer hat? for someone's mom? willow, you're adorable, but what were you thinking?

wardrobe: the turtlenecks were good, but i actually wasn't such a big fan of the shirt that willow wore to the hospital. from mid-chest up, it was fine. but below that, it looked like a bad lampshade, tassels included. maybe she and i just have vastly different taste in clothing, i dunno. i like her taste in girlfriends, though!

tara must need to do laundry. she had to resort to wearing something that she hasn't worn since last season - pants!

and yes, i also thought it looked like w & t were holding hands at the end when joyce was being wheeled into surgery.

moving on from w & t for a second, i found myself surprisingly moved by buffy quietly crying while doing the dishes and listening to that godawful music. SMG did a great job with that scene. i hope that she starts letting the scoobies be there for her more while she's going through all of this. maybe joyce's cancer is what finally brings the scoobies together again.

all in all, an entertaining ep with yummy w/t moments. they did look like they were all set to stay out there on that roof all night, didn't they? too bad the meteor interrupted their plans...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:04 am 

posted 11-29-2000 10:04 EST (US)
Ok, so a lot has been said about the could-they-get-any-cuter rooftop scene with Willow/Tara, so I'm not even going to delve into it.
The most touching scene of the night was definately Buffy standing at the sink, quietly crying. I, too, thought that would have been a great moment for Spike to show up for a little comforting. But, I also how they are pacing themselves with the development--Buffy having no clue about how Spike feels.
One question about the whole Riley being the vampire slurpy juiceboy--do you think he's trying to figure out Buffy's attraction to Vampires? I mean, Angel was her one love and then Spike comes along and begins to insinuate that she's got a thing for him, too, which is why she won't stake him or even renig his invitation in.. Or is the boy just losing it?

Hmmm..

Back to work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:15 am 

posted 11-29-2000 10:15 EST (US)
April- I definitely think I know what they were doing before and what they were planning to do afterwards, he he, outdoors and everything And the turtlenecks, he he, I am sure the reason wasn't the same sick one Riley had for wearing a turtleneck last week.

Seriously, I thought that the scene was one of the best with dialogue that shows the nature of their relationship. The way they need each other. In Family, Willow showed she could be there to make Tara feel special when she was down. Last night, we got to see Tara being the comforting one and subtly picking up when her girlfriend needed her to be a goof.

Buffy- The show works best when Buffy suffers. Nothing makes me feel like loving this show more than wanting things to be better for Buffy. Seriously, I like to cheer for the slayer, it's her show after all.

And I don't think they were holding hands at the end . I believe Willow's bell bottoms forced them to be five feet apart

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:30 am 

posted 11-29-2000 10:30 EST (US)
Hey xita,
You had said that you have that adorable rooftop seen on RM? I don't have ICQ, but i do have AIM. I don't know how big the file is, but you could e-mail with it as well fireice60@hotmail.com

Thanks so much either way! I hate my VCR!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:55 am 

posted 11-29-2000 10:55 EST (US)
Oh here guys..these pictures are posted on the net.. http://www.deaddogparty.com/alyson/listening/ltf067.jpg

http://www.deaddogparty.com/alyson/listening/ltf066.jpg

Can we say...ADORABLE??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:24 am 

posted 11-29-2000 11:24 EST (US)
As further evidence of the magic Willow and Tara are working on the audience members who formerly opposed them, I offer the following snippet from wwolfe's "Listening to Fear" review at the Cross & Stake:

quote:
As with any top-flight episode, while the big stuff was happening, all sorts of wonderful little details were added. Among these were:

- The lovely and beautifully romantic scene with Willow and Tara. For me, this was the very first moment that I believed in this relationship. I stand by my argument that it never would have happened had Seth Green not left the show. For the first time, though, this couple does not feel like an agenda (which always irritates, even when I support the agenda), but rather like two living, breathing individuals who love each other.

Now, wwolfe is a very intelligent individual and has never been a W/T-basher, but he has also maintained that the W/T relationship was never portrayed in a credible fashion. The rooftop scene finally appears to have won him over. Woo-hoo!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:38 am 

posted 11-29-2000 11:38 EST (US)
About the wwolfe review...says that for the first time, he believes in the W/T relationship?..has he been watching Buffy lately?..as he seen Family?
And he says that if Seth Green wouldn't have left, there wouldn't be a W/T relationship...DUH!...if David was still on Buffy there wouldn't be a Buffy/Riley relationship either but I am glad that wwolfe finally "sees" the light about W/T sorry just ranting I guess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:40 am 

posted 11-29-2000 11:40 EST (US)

How was the title of this episode significant to the plot? I'm not very clear on this one. Is it the mental patients whom Glory has affected who are able to "listen" to the truth? Is it Dawn who has heard all these people say that she is nothing [1]? Is it referring to the sane people who hear the Glory-induced crazy people babble but aren't realizing what they're supposed to be listening for? I don't think I'm really understanding what the title means.

Buffy was incredibly rude to Riley. I don't want him to die, persay, but I want Buffy to realize that he is messed up and resolve this Riley issue because Buffy is my favorite character and the way she's treating him {2] isn't very nice.

Ben as the evil partner of Glory was surprising to me, but not in a *cool* way. He's almost as stone-faced as Christian Kane (Lindsay) but maybe Charlie Weber will have less excrutiatingly bad dialogue to work with than CK has had {3]. Still, I'm not looking forward to the rest of season with him as part of the big picture.

But overall, I did like the episode. The shot of Tara slinking into her chair in the library scene needs to be played on slow-mo for the most striking effect. Man, she's hot.

[1] including Buffy, but Dawn conveniently forgot that fact as Buffy was soothing (and lying) to her
[2] not intentionally being mean, I don't think
[3] add to it that he can't act and its all BAD

Yen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 10:05 am 

posted 11-29-2000 12:05 EST (US)
Ok, the wardrobe. First, I was with you there till the end. I looooved the turtlenecks. WOW, babes. Then I see those horrid outfits at the end. I even got a full body shot of those bell bottoms. Major Yucko.
Michelle, yes I am totally with you. Tara saw that Willow was too bummed to talk about it so she went into total goof ball mode. Very cute and the cuddling and stuff made it kinda sexy. They are perfect for each other and I disagree with the Watcher's Guide writers, they are now in their honeymoon period. Course they might still be in all the way from Superstar. I love them. God bless.
Alien was creepy, of course it was really just a demon.
Next new buffy dec. 19.

And I had a few thoughts. Of course the reference to Dawn being just a shadow again and most imporantly the thing about the woods. Giles says of course we could go into the woods to find more about this thing. They all agree not to go, except for Riley. Important only because the name of the next ep is "Into The Woods." Bad things there my friends.

What was Ben doing? And was Joyce part of the clean up effort or just an innocent crazy person caught in it all.

Dawn - Very sad somebody needs to tell her.

I liked this ep a lot. I saw a lot of Willow and Tara really being a scooby for the first time ever. I mean really being integrated, not sticking out or anything. Enough for now.

[This message has been edited by xita (edited 11-29-2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 10:28 am 

posted 11-29-2000 12:28 EST (US)
well..I didn't really notice their outfits at end, cuz the scene was so quick, and I was struck by Tara's midriff...