The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Veronica Mars
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:23 am 
3. Flaming O

I guess people like me (not tuning in) are the reason Veronica Mars was dispatched to the hereafter. Maybe I didn't watch it enough and to give it a fair chance. I did watch it several times and it just didn't catch my interest. And, I'm not after the butt whipping, superheroine kind of heroine. On the contrary, the Xenas and the Wonder Womans are not my fare either. I suppose one could argue that Bionic Woman was a super heroine but she was vulnerable and had many damsel-in-distress moments which I find exciting.

Someone mentioned that Veronica relied on her intelligence, rather than her physical powers, to best the villian. Please, no one be offended, but I find that, concerning the female lead, pretty run of the mill. It means the bad guy is easy to outwit and she just has to hang around long enough and he'll provide a bone headed stunt sooner or later. These, of course, are my own tastes but (IMO) most of the successful shows where the female is one of the central characters, and there aren't many, the female character is action orientated. Popular series NEED to attract male audiences too and I bet Veronica Mars did not do that. Tho I hate to be lumped with the guys in that I like some action, I guess that's where I stand.

To illustrate, a male friend once said the movie Titanic would have been better if he had let her jump off the right in the beginning of the movie. I kind of agree. I'm also aware that the movie was hugely successful and a major reason was because teen-aged girls flocked to it and saw it over and over because of the love story.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:09 am 
2. Floating Rose

Topics: 1
Personally, I'm of the opinion that VM was failed by the CW and poorly advertised, not to mention my local station had scrambling issues the entire third season. I would never have seen any of it had it not been for the 'get the first two eps free when you get something' off of a buffy merchandise page. After watching the first two eps, I immediately went out and got the next two seasons. It had the witty dialogue I used to like on Buffy, but it also had the season long mysteries--just when you thought it was solved, you realized it wasn't, and usually that put Veronica and her friends in extreme danger.

I also happen to know plenty of guys that were into the show; ironically, many of them were sci-fi fans, rather than action/adventure/mystery people. Considering I'm more into sci-fi than realistic tv, and VM was very much not sci-fi, I think it would be an interesting study to find out why it appealed to the sci-fi audience so much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:01 am 
2. Floating Rose

I really miss Veronica Mars (especially the bits with Aly in!). Does anyone know when the complete third series will be available on DVD?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:47 pm 
12. Recently Gay

The North American dvd release date is October 23, not sure if that's the same elsewhere though. It includes along with the usual extras a feature about what the continuation of the series would have been like if they had been given the go ahead. That should be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:09 am 
2. Floating Rose

seurat wrote:
The North American dvd release date is October 23, not sure if that's the same elsewhere though. It includes along with the usual extras a feature about what the continuation of the series would have been like if they had been given the go ahead. That should be interesting.

Wow, fantastic, this month eh? Thanx for the heads-up. I'm happy to get my dvds from anywhere in the world as I invested in one of those multi-regional players. Still can't believe it wasn't picked up for a 4th season. That idea of a feature showing where they would have gone with the story later on sounds fascinating. Would have been interesting for Buffy, Angel etc.
thanx again,
jem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:00 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
Just saw Kristen Bell on Jay Leno tonight (7/29), where she announced that she has completed principle photography on a "Veronica Mars" movie. :applause

She said it was scheduled for release sometime in 2014. :banana :eatme **does a very happy dance**

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15