The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: I loved, loved, LOVED this movie!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:09 am 
5. Willowhand

I liked The Illusionist over The Prestige.
The History Boys was funny in a quirky British comedy kind of way.
Smokin Aces was great lots of action.

There are more but because all I do is tell people what movie is the best I will stop now. Being the manager of a video store has its perks :)

My Mother: You can’t swear to God and be an atheist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:13 pm 
3. Flaming O

Oh, and
Strictly Ballroom
Another romantic comedy from the Austrailians

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:20 pm 
3. Flaming O

tazraven wrote:
Just watched V for Vendetta again. I love that movie so. V's monologues make me so happy. Such well written dialogue. Not to mention the awesome action. Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.~Sara

And with Hugo Weaving being the Man / VOICE behind the Mask... You couple his voice with those monologues and the result is no less than Totally Awesome. Just Love that actor!!

Last edited by GoodWitch on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:20 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
Speaking of voice work, let's not forget that HW was also the voice of Memphis the penguin in "Happyfeet". ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:38 am 
3. Flaming O

Hemiola wrote:
Speaking of voice work, let's not forget that HW was also the voice of Memphis the penguin in "Happyfeet".

Haven't seen that one yet.
A friend of mine once rented "The March of the Penguins" and asked me over to watch it with her. There I was coming into watching that movie THINKING that it was Happy Feet!! Now that documentary was incredibly well done BUT not for those of us who Just Can't Bear to watch animals in hardship (That's ME). It was made especially harder to watch given I was Up For Watching and Expecting... "Happy Feet"!
So HF is on my list of DVDs to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:19 pm 
5. Willowhand

Im sitting here watching Dreamgirls and it is amazing. I love musicals and this moves into 2nd behind Rent. YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:08 am 
5. Willowhand

hahah, i watched "Bring it On" the other night on tv, so lame and funny, i'd forgotten how much fun it watching those teen american movies, but did you know that Faith, Eliza Dushku played a major role?cool!

a great movie i watched recently and absoluteley love is "Little Miss Sunshine"is so funny and feel good, and happy, and sad!

"Amelie" is a fantastic french movie, kind of art house, awsome!

Saving Myself

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:50 am 
3. Flaming O

Lifty wrote:
hahah, i watched "Bring it On" the other night on tv, but did you know that Faith, Eliza Dushku played a major role?cool!

And Also Clare Kramer who played Glory in Season Five was in this movie. Now don't go rushing off to watch it just for these reasons... it's really not that great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:52 am 
5. Willowhand

yep, i second that, its not worth renting or anything, it just happened to be on tv at the time. sorry if i got the wrong message across

Saving Myself

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:37 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Garden State! I just watched that this weekend. I really liked this movie. Natalie Portman, sigh. Zach Braff was good in a serious role as well.

I was also pleasantly surprised by The Hitcher. I'm not a fan of slasher/horror films but this one had a reasonably strong female lead. Always a plus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:42 am 
18. Breast Gal

I know I'm a little behind, but I just caught Elizabethtown on the cable over the weekend. Great flick. Quirky and sweet.

The lead players were good, and the supporting cast (the Kentucky family, led by a surprisingly good Paula Deen of Food Network fame) were solidly portrayed in their quirkiness. I thought it was wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:00 pm 
28. Com...plete

For those kittens out there that like the foreign films (subtitled) I highly recommend Water...it is admittedly a bit of a downer but such a wonderful film anyway that it should not be missed...

Also just watched a digital remaster of To Kill a Mockingbird...it looks brand new! Did Mary Badham do any films other than TKAM and This Property is Condemned? If not, why not? She was one hell of a good little actress

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:43 am 
3. Flaming O

umgaynow wrote:
Also just watched a digital remaster of To Kill a Mockingbird...it looks brand new! Did Mary Badham do any films other than TKAM and This Property is Condemned? If not, why not? She was one hell of a good little actress

Yeah, she was in only a few things. I went to the allmovie.com site and found this list of only five movies or TV shows (episodes) she was in.
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:3201~T2
They don't have anything to say as to why she did so little after "To Kill A Mockingbird".

BTW this site, http://www.allmovie.com is Really Cool! You can type in any name, person or movie title and they will have all kinds of info about it (at least I have never typed in something and had this site NOT have info about it).

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:43 am 
9. Gay Now

This is a relatively recent interview with Mary Badham and she explains why she gave up acting (lack of good roles as is the way).

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:21 pm 
28. Com...plete

It was really more of a rhetorical question but thank you all so much for all the info just the same...now I will read that article and find out for myself ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:30 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I simply must bump this thread in order to recommend an outstanding film: Guillermo del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth" ("El Labyrinto del Fauno"). I cannot speak too highly of this film, which will undoubtedly be declared a masterpiece in future film histories. It is that rarity of rarities: a fantasy film for adults (It is important to note that this film definitely not for kids--it is way too graphic and violent for them!).

The young girl who portrays the heroine/protaganist (Ivana Baquero) is truly amazing, and gives a performance that makes the fantastic situation seem real. The other actors, portraying the the real-life horror show of Fascist Spain, are all first-class. The ending is also unusual in that it is truly ambiguous--without offering any spoilers, I can say that, depending on your point of view, it is either gut-wrenchingly pathetic and tragic, or truly happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:50 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

I really loved Apocalypto. It was breath-taking and heart breaking all at the same time. I think Mel Gibson really has a gift for bringing forth a good, evocative story.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:54 am 
3. Flaming O

I watched "Thank You For Smoking" last night on television. About the tobacco lobbyists, it is, and their tactics to sell Big Tobacco. It was pretty funny, and good satire.
...then I went outside and had a cigarette. And felt like a horrible person.

Oh, and has anyone else seen the documentary "Jesus Camp"? My friend and I finally got around to renting it. I rather liked it, although it kind of turned me off ever leaving the East Coast. It's about Evengelical Christian (sometimes Petecostal, I think) children.
And it's all about how they do their thing with faith, and the movie interviews this big time children's preacher out in the Midwest, and her summer camp--hence the title.
It's more observational than pro or anti-Christianity, but to a cynical non-believer like me,the church's tactics and messages are fairly terrifiying and seems rather indoctrinating towards the youth in the movie.
Also, everyone's favorite ex-gay makes an appearence. That's right, it's Ted Haggard. And he comes off like a jerk in this movie, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:14 pm 
28. Com...plete

Little Children...all who received Oscar nods for this certainly deserved them...on the good side of things, plenty of naked graphic Kate Winslet...on the bad side really quite a disturbing film...but great writing, acting, direction all around as well as camera work...how long has it been since you saw a split screen, let alone an un-even one? Definitely the sort that sticks with you whether you want it to or not...in my book that is a good film...unless of course something sticks because it is really bad or gross...but not the case here, although it is certainly gross on ocassion...OK, enough rambling ;-)

Sandi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:07 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
We went and saw Live Free or Die Hard today. It did not disappoint. I've loved the first three movies and actually just bought a box set of them this week. This installment was awesome. John McClain is hot and crazy and awesome. He shoots everyone and more importantly uses a police car to intentionally blow up/crash a helicopter. Comic relief comes from the guy who played a nerd in Dodgeball and Jason in Galaxy Quest. He's a somewhat sloppy/sexy computer hacker and is a great part of the movie. If you like action/adventure, go see it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:04 am 
5. Willowhand

I saw Hairspray tonight and I loved it! If you are a fan of musicals you will like this one...John was GREAT! Saw Harry Potter also, it was good to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:35 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

The Simpsons Movie.

I went with no expectations other than hoping for a couple of small laughs, and was pleasantly surprised. I laughed a lot more than I expected to, and it actually had a compelling plot.

Two thumbs up from me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:35 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I definitely want to see Hairspray. But now we need a babysitter so we can see HP &OP, Hairspray, and Ratatoilie. That's like 6 months worth of babysitting for us.

We saw Imagine Me & You last night on DVD. It was a really lovely romantic comedy. And there were no villains in the movie. Everyone was a really good person and the central conflict was resolved in such a way that it was really ok. And cute.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:01 pm 
16. Pancakes in Bellies

I recently bought one of Amber's earier movies, "King of the Hill" and I must say I enjoyed it. Amber doesn't have much screen time, but as Ella, she is simply adorable, and I felt sorry for her.

By the Power of Grayskull!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:24 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky I saw the movie 300 and I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to everyone for sure it showed how much honor they had and i respect that greatly. :kitty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:28 am 
3. Flaming O

DESERT HEARTS. It opened my soul and it was then, while I watched it, that I realized what I was. It made me discover myself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:59 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hello Dianneswillowtree! :wave

I agree that "300" is visually stunning, but I did

not like the way they played fast and loose with history.
[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:06 pm 
28. Com...plete

I finally saw The Fountain this weekend

It is an amazing movie...in the truest sense of the word...but it's one of those movies you really have to work to watch...loads of symbolism and visual metaphor...you really need to pay attention and think and try to understand while you are watching it or you'll be totally lost...for me an experience not unlike What the Bleep Do We Know?...

visually gorgeous...the cinematography is amazing...I would say there are at least 2 or 3 shots in this movie that are among the most beautiful I have ever seen on film...and Rachel Weisz is the very definition of stunning in her Queen Isabella outfit...other actresses take note...if you want to look the most gorgeous and luminescent you have ever looked on screen...have your husband direct

The plot is entirely too impossible to explain...but it really is worth the work of keeping track of the non-linear plot...think spiritual as you are watching and it will make a lot more sense...I think this may be one of those films that you watch many times and see something different each time...definitely two thumbs up...for the cinematography and lighting design alone...thought the bits with The Inquisitor were overly gory...we all know what happened, don't need to see it in bloody, stomach-turning detail please...definitely worth watching :clap

Sandi :kgeek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:34 am 
5. Willowhand

I saw the Halloween re-imagining this weekend, and it was amazing. I loved what Rob did with literally everything in the movie.

In the past sequels Michael wasn't scary anymore. With what Rob did in this he made him terrifying again. I was actually scared in some parts. I watch a lot of horror movies, and this one actually scared me.

The violence wasn't there for gore's sake. It made sense to the movie.

He made Michael human, especially in the scene where he confronts Laurie for the first time. It made my jaw drop. I saw Michael as a person for the first time rather than a psychopathic killer. He wasn't a supernatural horror, just a person.

I hope John Carpenter likes it, because it's a worthy remake of his classic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:09 am 
28. Com...plete

Just watched Half Nelson Depressing movie but excellent...Ryan Gosling totally deserved the Oscar nod

Also finally saw The Science of Sleep quirky and funny and odd...rather like Willow and Tara...I loved it ;-)

Sandi :kgeek

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next