The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Fic Approval Process
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
EasierSaid wrote:
I for one LOVE the vague, Foo. (Neverland wouldn't be posted on Pens without some of that vague!) Just thought it was a funny bolded phrase. Sort of like, "let me clear this up, with something slightly ambiguous." So silly.

Haha! Okay. "Just to clarify, I'm going to make it even more vague."

[quote=Finey_McFine]Damn, I kinda like when you guys bite. Hard.[/quote]

The harder we bite the more we love you.

Last edited by Foomatic on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:33 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey, this is a cool idea, good luck with it mods. I just wanted to ask though, often a fic won't immediately reveal if its rule breaking until later chapters, would you want any kind of outline from authors for new fics or are you going to check up periodially or just screen the first post?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:52 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
what_we_do_is_secret wrote:
Hey, this is a cool idea, good luck with it mods. I just wanted to ask though, often a fic won't immediately reveal if its rule breaking until later chapters, would you want any kind of outline from authors for new fics or are you going to check up periodially or just screen the first post?

The thread approval is there to screen the initial post, and make sure it's FAQ friendly. Before fics would get posted and commented on before we had a chance to look over them.

It works better if you guys give us the head's up. If you've planned your fic out and it's going to stray into some un-FAQ friendly territory, tell us now before you post it. If you're just writing by the seat of your pants with every update, PM us with your update before you post it if you think it's going to break FAQ. Err on the side of caution; we don't like pulling established fics because 3 pages later the author breaks FAQ. Don't cheat yourself or your loyal readers; if there's any doubt, ask.

Last edited by Foomatic on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:32 pm 
28. Com...plete

I *think* this fits into the guidelines, but wanted to check, as the guidelines state that W/T have to be the focus of a fic but don't go into a lot of detail. I thought I'd post here rather than sending to one individual mod so that whoever sees it first can respond. Hope that's okay!
I've been revising an old fic of mine, wanting to continue it, and have been playing around with different ideas of how to start it. My original version starts at the beginning of the bulk of the story, when Willow and Tara are teens, but I've considered a few other possibilities: one would be starting with kind of a prologue, either Willow and Tara's parents or more likely their grandparents, as both generations have relevance to the story; another would be starting with a journal/diary entry or possibly some sort of essay written by Willow and Tara's daughter, as a lead-in to the bulk or the story which would probably at least begin within her diary/paper. If I start with an older generation, the story would have no mention of Willow or Tara for at least the bulk of the first chapter, and then would probably only mention them potentially as far as the end of the 2nd chapter, but after that it would center entirely around Willow, Tara, and the family they create. If I begin with writing for their daughter, Willow and Tara would be discussed very early in the first chapter, but the viewpoint wouldn't be theirs and the initial focus may or may not be on them; again, the story would very quickly shift to center around them, but initial focus might be on their daughter(s). Are these versions acceptable, or is one but not the other, or should I scratch both and stick with my initial concept of beginning with Willow and Tara?
Please let me know what you think, I appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject.

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
CrazyTaraWitch wrote:
another would be starting with a journal/diary entry or possibly some sort of essay written by Willow and Tara's daughter, as a lead-in to the bulk or the story..

Jas: I personally like this idea the best but, yes, any of the versions you have listed to set up the story will be perfectly fine!

Last edited by Kajun on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm 
28. Com...plete

Thanks Kajun!

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:16 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
Not sure if this would fit in the guidelines, but my fic's chapter's will be divided into 'episodes'. And while the overall story is Willow/Tara centric, certain episodes will focus on other members of the ensemble cast. Mind you, it'll mostly be wacky, shenanigan infused side adventures with Willow and Tara playing the peanut gallery, but would that be allowed?

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 444
What about an old fic that is now archived somewhere else? With author permission of course.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
How long does the process take for approval?

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:59 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Its lickity-split.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:39 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 4
Oops. I guess I should've read this first. Whichever Mod gets my attempted first post from this morning, I can send the first couple of chapters to, you know, allow you to make a decision. Let me know how you want it. Thanks.

[embarrassed emoticon here]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:28 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

binky wrote:
Oops. I guess I should've read this first. Whichever Mod gets my attempted first post from this morning, I can send the first couple of chapters to, you know, allow you to make a decision. Let me know how you want it. Thanks.

[embarrassed emoticon here]

Hi there Binky, nice to see you on the kitten again. How about just posting again and include the first chapter or two in the post? I can remove the first one. That would be the quickest. If/when approved, it will be up right away for peeps to read. Feel free to send a PM when it's ready.

edit to add: If the board doesn't let you submit again just send the chapters to me via PM.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:03 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I have a question about a certain Off-Topic character, keeping in mind that, except for a few background facts, the only specific in show-canon about her is her first name.

Some background: I was once planning a long fic called W"illow's Quest," in which she, to be blunt, asks an ancient god how she can earn a wish to fix the ending of "Seeing Red." I have a decnet beginning and end few chapters, but to do a decent middle for it would require more research, plus the writing, than I can justify to myself for a story set in a backyard somebody else owns

So I want to include some of the chapters I have planned out in "Snapshots" to cover an important part(!) of W&T's relationship. I won't include the longish chapter where the Other Woman first makes the suggestion to Willow to seek the wish. But I did want to have a brief acknowledgment of it. On the morning Willow is due to perform the ritual, the Other Woman calls (from another state!) to wish her luck- I plan to keep the conversation brief and never use her first name.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:37 pm 
2. Floating Rose

If I posted a fic and didn't get a notification saying anything does that mean my post didn't go through?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:51 am 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
Nothing so dramatic... I suspect that it just means a mod hasn't checked the queue. I never got anything back to say anything the first time I used it, my post just appeared when it was released. Would recommend you message a mod or two and they can take a look.

If there was a problem they'd be in contact.

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:48 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Ree33 wrote:
If I posted a fic and didn't get a notification saying anything does that mean my post didn't go through?

Ree, Approved. :) Also, post in the Update thread to let everyone know you have a fic up!

Katharyn, Thanks for replying.. caught my eye pretty quick! :grin

Everyone, As Katharyn said, submitting a thread in PENS doesn't generate a notification. We can elect to send one after approval or non-approval which, in that case, would normally be followed by a PM explaining whatever the issue may be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:50 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 2
Hello, Kittens. I have a little problem.... I posted a new one-shot yesterday and I'm still waiting for it to be approved. It's been 24 hours so I was wondering if I should keep waiting or what?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:25 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
PM a moderator. I sent a message to Kajun and my fic got approved quickly.

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 2
Thanks, I'll do that right now. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:39 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Alex_Vixen wrote:
Thanks, I'll do that right now. :)

Sent you a PM. Nothing to worry about. :) Thought I should let you know here just in case there are stray notification problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:52 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I have a question.. i want to write a w/t fic. I wanted to start one of the girls in a relationship with another just temporarily until they meet and fall in love and maybe explain a child? Or can i refer to said partner as an ex just briefly... to explain said posible child? Please help

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:51 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
C.S. PHOENIX wrote:
I have a question.. i want to write a w/t fic. I wanted to start one of the girls in a relationship with another just temporarily until they meet and fall in love and maybe explain a child? Or can i refer to said partner as an ex just briefly... to explain said posible child? Please help

You can refer to them as an ex.

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

We’ve had a few issues with submissions being entered numerous times creating double/triple threads. Sometimes the board will stall out and give the, usually false, impression the posting attempt didn’t work. That can be confusing especially since the thread will not be viewable to the author.

The best thing to do when posting a new story is to hit the submit button (once only please) then send a PM about the new story thread to me or Laragh. That will let us know to look for the new thread and also help move it through the approval process quicker. We try to take care of new threads ASAP but a little head’s up would be very helpful. Thanks.

Stay Calm and PM a Moderator :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:50 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Hellooooooo!

I have not been here awhile so I am a little rusty. I have dusted off a couple of unfinished and refinished projects and started to work on them again, and I think I might be ready to start posting again. The fic I'd like to start with is a refinish of my comic book/illustrated short story, Glamour. This is a real illustrated, comic-book (or short story) style original story set in season 6. I originally published it offline on my own website, then posted the script with links to the illustrations in Pens years ago, if anyone remembers. My original thread of b-t-s shorts was titled 'Interludes' and is in the completed archive here if the mods want to check it out. Question today is, where is the appropriate place to publish it here at tktwatbw? In Pens, or Magic in Two? I no longer have my own website to host the illustrations, so wherever I post it, it will take up some space. Not too much, I think the compressed files will total 30-50MB (high-res would be much bigger). I can post it to Deviant Art or some other art-friendly forum, but can I also post it here someplace? I have a soft spot for this website; it was among the first (if the not THE first, can't remember it's been so long) through which I discovered the wonderful world of Willow/Tara fanfic.

Thanks,

b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:24 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

binky wrote:
Hellooooooo!

I have not been here awhile so I am a little rusty. I have dusted off a couple of unfinished and refinished projects and started to work on them again, and I think I might be ready to start posting again. The fic I'd like to start with is a refinish of my comic book/illustrated short story, Glamour. This is a real illustrated, comic-book (or short story) style original story set in season 6. I originally published it offline on my own website, then posted the script with links to the illustrations in Pens years ago, if anyone remembers. My original thread of b-t-s shorts was titled 'Interludes' and is in the completed archive here if the mods want to check it out. Question today is, where is the appropriate place to publish it here at tktwatbw? In Pens, or Magic in Two? I no longer have my own website to host the illustrations, so wherever I post it, it will take up some space. Not too much, I think the compressed files will total 30-50MB (high-res would be much bigger). I can post it to Deviant Art or some other art-friendly forum, but can I also post it here someplace? I have a soft spot for this website; it was among the first (if the not THE first, can't remember it's been so long) through which I discovered the wonderful world of Willow/Tara fanfic.

Thanks,

b

Hi Binky, Your comic/story will need to go in the “Magic In Two” forum. Banners and the occasional image are okay here but a full on illustrated story needs to be with the other artwork. The way you posted previous comic stories, using a link to the illustrations, would be fine for PENS but if you really want readers to get the full experience of a comic/graphic novel, the images need to be in the thread --not set as a link. The images will also need to be up on the internet somewhere else in order to actually post them here. You can use deviant art, photobucket, or any number of free image storage websites. BTW: the links in your original comic story don't work so you might consider editing that thread and direct peeps to your new thread once it is up.

As a side note: the approval process is only set up in PENS. Threads for all the other forums go live immediately as they always did. Just remember to follow the FAQ and it’s all good.

It’s always a real joy to see Willow and Tara artwork posted on the MIT of the Kitten! Yes, I am a comic book nerd. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:31 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Blinky, if you need some help on the tech side..let me know

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:28 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Thanks, doc. I have started experimenting with DeviantArt (had the account for the longest time, just never used it). I will give you a holla if I get stuck again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

And thanks Kajun for answering my question.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
A quick clarification to add to this thread:

Anyone who wishes to use another author’s creative efforts (their verse, fic, or original characters etc.) need to get the original author’s permission before doing so. Anything using another author’s work without express permission will be seen as plagiarism and the content removed.

Of course, if you do have the original author’s permission, then just mention that in the disclaimer and create away.

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:01 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hi...

So I know that I'm new here and should probably just keep my mouth shut about this, but it's pretty obvious who this new rule is directed at, and as a reader of that particular story I just have to say that plagiarism is not what was happening.

Plagiarism is where one person steals another person's work and tries to pass it off as their own. As in "copy/paste", not as in carrying on where someone left off.

From Webster's:
Quote:
noun
an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author

The "person in question" made it blatantly clear that the new work was her own. She plastered it over every one of her posts. And the work was new... not a copy. And aren't ALL of the fanfics EVER WRITTEN an example of using someone else's story, universe and characters without authorization?? :gnome

It would have been plagiarism if she'd pretended to be the original author. But she didn't.

And if all she had to do in the first place was just to claim that she had talked to the original author in her disclaimer and then none of this would have happened - I'm not sure she would have done that - because her previous blatancy indicates her general honesty.

Let me just say, too, that this is me speaking on my own about this. I haven't talked to the "person in question" about this except to send her a message of my support. But I can't stand injustice (or what I feel is an injustice). She's not saying anything to defend herself, as far as I know, so I am.

I know that what's done is done and it's too late now or whatever. But I just couldn't not say something.

So suspend me or ban me or whatever for saying so... but calling someone a thief and a liar when they are neither is just crappy. And that's what you do when you accuse someone of plagiarism.

Ok, that's it, I've said way too much. But I've said my piece. Whatever happens next happens.

Thanks,
Ani