The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Sincerest Form of Flattery: A Series (#4 posted 6/17
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hey Kate--Wow, I hadn't realized how much I'd missed the board until those lovely shades of blue popped up on my screen! Thank you for giving me the nudge I needed to get back in the fan-fic saddle.

First of all, I appreciate your choosing this story as a springboard to what I think is a very astute idea: taking a different POV for an established fic and opening up a different window for the reader. Insofar as the story itself is concerned--I love seeing this through Tara's eyes. I confess, that scene was one of my favorites to write, in part b/c the experience---seeing the person you love quite possibly in the process of moving on--is just so excruciating, so piercing. It lent itself to emotional urgency. You've taken that urgency and let us see--from the first sentence--the extent to which Tara is absolutely NOT moving on. Part of what's moving to me is the parallel of Chris clearly having feelings for Tara, even as Tara copes with her feelings for Willow. Tara is both the desired and--in her mind--the person who desires. As always, she acts with compassion: she tries to stay focused, even though every part of her is elsewhere.

I very much like how you write the moment of realization that Willow is there, at the Bronze. It's very fitting that Tara would feel Willow's presence before seeing her. I liked the "Ten months/ten weeks/ten days" description as well; it captures something that always moved me about Tara: the idea that she never really imagined how desirable she was, what sort of magic (no pun intended) she could inspire in someone else. Willow showed up and not only did Tara fall hard for her, but she also learned that she could spark that kind of intensity and hunger in someone else.

Your writing has a very nice cadence to it; I always enjoy when I can hear the story as I'm reading it. Most of all, I think you do an excellent job of capturing Tara's psychology in that moment, and in her early relationship with Willow. You've written her as wanting, yes, and also vulnerable. But you haven't made her weak or helpless: she is indeed willing to walk away completely rather than hang on in this limbo place forever, doing whatever it took to have any kind of access to her beloved. Not for her, Spike's observation: "Yeah, I may be Love's bitch--but at least I'm man enough to admit it." The situation was untenable; she would change it, one way or another.

I always believed Tara when she said that afternoon, "Whatever, you know, happens...I'll still be here. I'll still be your friend." But is such a thing always possible? Tara has just realized that here, it may not be. When she saw the agony in Willow's eyes, she realized that friendship would not involve accepting that Willow was moving on, as painful as that would have been. Willow was indeed in love with her and those nice, safe coffee dates would at some point have to give way to what they both truly wanted.

Really nice job, girlfriend. I very much enjoyed reading this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:00 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
Wow. After “Trade Off,” this is . . . impressively easy.

@Ariel,
Quote:
Strangely, I ended up feeling sorry for Chris. She's got a lot of good qualities, has fallen for Tara (and who can blame her for that) and is stuck in the position of being a stand-in for Willow. I don't blame Tara either, it was a group outing that splintered, but I'm mostly left feeling sorry for Chris and also feeling sorry for Tara and somewhat for Willow, although she is the one that created the pain for them both.

You know, I never really gave much thought to Chris as I was writing this, but you’re not the only one who commented on her. To me, she’s this girl who accidentally ends up at the Bronze alone with Tara, and is happy since she has the hots for Tara. She knows perfectly well that it didn’t start as a date, but is quite happy to let it become one. Or at least, to let it be a proto-date. Quasi-date. Something leading to real, proper dates down the line.

But basically the Tara/Chris situation isn’t really one where there’s blame to be had. I mean, Tara intended to go out with her classmates, randomly ended up at the Bronze who happens to be attracted to her. Chris didn’t actually ask Tara on a date, just ended up at the Bronze with her. Alone. With a hundred other people.

And Willow . . . well, Willow made a choice that Tara told her was an okay choice to make, and is suffering because of it.

Quote:
The repetition of 10 months, 10 weeks, 10 days is powerful - totally works! So is "how could she not"? and "how could he not"? Almost sounds like a death knell.

I really liked both of these things. I’m a sucker for parallel structure. As for the 10/10/10, that was in part a nod to the original: OST, while moving through a story that takes place after Oz showed up, constantly discusses things that happened beforehand: not in a vague way, but specifically giving how long before or after Oz an event occurred. It felt almost like a BCE/CE split, only for Oz.

The “how could she be,” “how could she not,” “how could he not” series was very much, to me, about the stark way Tara sees her situation. There are these huge, unchangeable things that shape the social space she’s in. She feels trapped, because she can’t do anything about them. So yeah, I can totally see the death knell comparison.

Quote:
The writing is more spare than your usual style and I admit I'm pretty impressed with your versatility!

I think sparse can be really powerful (though I never liked Hemmingway in high school. Maybe my opinion would be different now?). Of course, I almost never use sparse writing. I just, well, really like to hear myself talk. Write. See myself . . . whatever, I’m wordy.

Anyways, in a lot of ways, this scene was really simple: Tara’s at the Bronze, but she doesn’t particularly want to be. Bam. But then again, so are a lot of the vignettes. I guess this one just really felt like it needed something much more stark, because, as I said, that’s how I see Tara’s situation. I also really love the one sentence paragraph: particularly given my normal writing style (i.e. extremely verbose), it’s a powerful thing.

Quote:
I see Tara's courage in drawing a line and I'm intrigued to see if she can find Willow soon and how their confrontation will go.

Well, if you actually read “On Second Thought” you’ll find out. Now with HTML-free scent!

But the short answer is “sex.”

Quote:
What can I say? Keep writing!

Yes’m.

@wayland,
Quote:
I have a few thoughts on The Hell in Between. (Good title, breaking in-between into two words is more interesting, don’t know if you intended that, but it’s good.)

I was really dubious about the title at first. Finally I just looked at the paragraph containing the thesis for the scene, (“If they couldn't be lovers, they had to be strangers.”) and looked around there. I also basically never hyphenate “in between,” so it wasn’t actually me doing anything special here. Just being me.

Quote:
Tying in Tara’s denial in the face of Oz’s inevitable return with her upcoming birthday makes sense. She’s living in the day because she sees no future.

Right; I think this is just a fundamental part of the way that I see Tara's story until “Family.” She's desperate because she sees a clock ticking. She needs to live life now, because there isn’t a later.

Quote:
Quote:
But by emphasizing that Tara was not to blame for Willow's choice, she had only underscored how helpless Tara was.

This is a good insight. She has no power at all in the situation, except to stop seeing Willow. It makes her reaction seem less passive than it first appears. She can’t fight for Willow’s love, because she has it. That doesn’t give her much scope for action. It isn’t in Tara’s nature to try and convince Willow that Oz is a poorer choice, especially when she feels she has no future to offer Willow.

Exactly. This paragraph came out of me needing something to come after Tara acknowledging that Willow didn't bring Oz's absence up to be mean, and I stumbled on the “Why did she have to say she loves me?” line. I think the paragraph is one of my favorite, content-wise, in this. I mean, in a way, Willow’s admission is selfish. Tara can’t hold onto it and feel better, it’s something that makes the absence hurt worse.

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks to the spell, Tara got to watch Willow come.

This line feels awkward to me. Assuming this was one of the most beautiful and exciting sights of Tara’s life, I think it deserved a longer, more elegant sentence. Perhaps some description? I know that your Tara is quite different from others on the board – more confident and more direct (in private), but still, I think, just as romantic.

I stared at this sentence for a long time. And added the next line in the revising process, only to seriously consider removing it. You're completely right; even though I write a very different Tara, I still see her as a rather romantic person. My reasoning here is twofold. First, that Tara is already doing something incredibly stupid and painful thinking about it at all. More than the matter-of-fact, journalistic report of what happened would make it even harder. Second, I don't think that more than this fit with the style of the rest of the piece.

Does that justify cutting one of the most seminal moments in Tara's life down to a brief, uninvolved sentence? I honestly have no idea. I’ve thought about how I would lead up to it differently, what I could put in to make it clearer that this was what’s going on, and nothing really jumped at me. All of these memories already feel like they’re being held at arm’s length, so it feels weird to me to single one out.

Like, if this was Willow, it would feel right for her to think about how she was thinking. Willow might know that she was taking a memory that belonged in a tightly-sealed little box, and opening it a crack, just enough to look. But Tara just thinks. I see her as more aware of who she is, but less aware of how she thinks.

Quote:
Quote:
Something above and beyond the fact that someone had called her beautiful, someone who wasn't--
Willow.
Willow was here.

This is a really clever transition.

I'm glad you liked it. I knew I wanted her to pull away right after Chris called her beautiful, and I knew I wanted to do this, to have a thought that ended with the word "Willow," but to cut it off, and have Willow as a different line, as a different sentence. They seemed to work together without much meddling on my part.

Also, I was thrilled I got to use the word “anathema.” I mean, seriously. "Anathama."

Quote:
Quote:
Willow, who was getting laid through all this.

This seemed out of character to me at first. I felt that because Tara is in love with Willow and because she believes that Oz loves her too, she would take a more romantic view of their relationship. (And from pride too – being rejected for a mundane sexual fling would hurt more.) On second thought, the next line,
Quote:
In that moment, something broke.

is actually demonstrated by the uncharacteristically bitter comment. She can’t take any more.

First, “on second thought”—I see what you did there.

You’re right: almost anywhere else this wouldn't have worked. Yes, Tara believes Willow and Oz are in a loving sexual relationship, and doesn't think of Oz and Willow as having “just sex.” The idea of anyone having “just sex” with Willow is so far outside of Tara’s reality that it’s intellectually bankrupt.

The reasoning here was that I wanted to highlight that Willow has (or at least, that Tara believes that Willow has) a bunch of stuff that Tara wants: an actual choice in the matter, a source of love and comfort, and sex. Because seriously, how could anyone be that close to Willow and not have a serious case of 'blue box' (this is a phrase Adam coined and I fell in love with it instantly. The world has gone too long without a companion phrase for 'blue balls.')?

Anyway, Willow has all these things, but is still jealous. Tara is jealous that Willow has them. And Tara still feels guilty for being out with Chris, even though a) nothing was actually going on and b) Willow already dumped her.

But it was all in the service of twisting the knife until Tara couldn't take it anymore.

@AntigoneUnbound,
First, let me get the fangirl out of the way. OMFSM Squee! I had to take a screenshot of your name by my story before it disappeared. Seriously. I have it with my "Queen of Hearts hits 10,000 views" screenshot. (QoH being my major story.)

*cough* Right. Composure. I can do this.

Quote:
Hey Kate--Wow, I hadn't realized how much I'd missed the board until those lovely shades of blue popped up on my screen! Thank you for giving me the nudge I needed to get back in the fan-fic saddle.

You are most welcome. I accept you rescuing Dawn and/or other writing as payment. :)

Quote:
First of all, I appreciate your choosing this story as a springboard to what I think is a very astute idea: taking a different POV for an established fic and opening up a different window for the reader.

Thanks. I really love moving POV and seeing how it changes a story. You haven’t been around, so I doubt you would know, but I’m doing a season four rewrite; one of the most interesting things about it for me is taking scenes between Willow and Tara that were shown on screen, but giving them a new context and subtext. I often find myself at a loss when looking at how to build a plot, but taking an extant plot or set of facts and twisting them into different shapes, but so they stay the same . . . that’s really fun for me.

Quote:
I confess, that scene was one of my favorites to write, in part b/c the experience---seeing the person you love quite possibly in the process of moving on--is just so excruciating, so piercing.

It really is. Last summer I saw my ex at a wedding, and it was so surreal. Like a lot of people, I fell in love with my best friend, and it ended up going poorly. It was great to see her, because I miss hanging out and doing friend crap. At the same time, it was excruciating, because even though she’s married and I’m engaged and it’s been years . . . well, some part of me is still in love with her. As hard as that was, it’s a great memory to write from.

Quote:
You've taken that urgency and let us see--from the first sentence--the extent to which Tara is absolutely NOT moving on.

Yeah, but I stole that from you.

Quote:
Part of what's moving to me is the parallel of Chris clearly having feelings for Tara, even as Tara copes with her feelings for Willow. Tara is both the desired and--in her mind--the person who desires.

Like I was telling Ariel, I didn’t really give Chris much thought at all. I simply conceived of her as Willow’s eventual conclusion: the Other Woman. I had the fact that even from where Willow was standing (presumably many feet away), it was clear that Chris was into Tara. I wanted to have her tell Tara that she’s beautiful just before Tara sees Willow because, well, I’m a horrible person.

Quote:
I very much like how you write the moment of realization that Willow is there, at the Bronze. It's very fitting that Tara would feel Willow's presence before seeing her.

And I stole that from you.

Quote:
I liked the "Ten months/ten weeks/ten days" description as well; it captures something that always moved me about Tara: the idea that she never really imagined how desirable she was, what sort of magic (no pun intended) she could inspire in someone else. Willow showed up and not only did Tara fall hard for her, but she also learned that she could spark that kind of intensity and hunger in someone else.

As I said to Ariel, the 10/10/10 structure was partly homage to the fact that the original repeatedly tells us where in time events occur. The original seems intent on orienting the reader to when things happened, not just what happened.

I agree with you on Tara: she seems like she never really considered the possibility of someone being attracted to her or loving her in a romantic way.

Quote:
Your writing has a very nice cadence to it; I always enjoy when I can hear the story as I'm reading it.

Thanks. This rewrite feels a lot different from most of my other writing, but I think this piece sounds good.

Quote:
Most of all, I think you do an excellent job of capturing Tara's psychology in that moment, and in her early relationship with Willow. You've written her as wanting, yes, and also vulnerable. But you haven't made her weak or helpless: she is indeed willing to walk away completely rather than hang on in this limbo place forever, doing whatever it took to have any kind of access to her beloved. Not for her, Spike's observation: "Yeah, I may be Love's bitch--but at least I'm man enough to admit it." The situation was untenable; she would change it, one way or another.

Very much yes.

My canon Tara is . . . very different than most people write. People keep telling me. I guess I just look at the same source material and see something different. I default to her generally making her choices out of strength, and infer her world view from that. “Shy” and “weak” aren’t synonyms; she can be one without the other (though, I don’t write her as particularly shy around just Willow, but I think that’s very true to how people act).

Quote:
I always believed Tara when she said that afternoon, "Whatever, you know, happens...I'll still be here. I'll still be your friend." But is such a thing always possible?

I think this is the best piece of evidence that Tara hasn’t been in a relationship before; I believe she means it, and I believe it’s naïve. It’s possible to be friends again, eventually, but it my experience it takes a lot of time and healing, and it’s a rough ride. Tara simply doesn’t have the time to get over Willow and restart their friendship.

Quote:
Willow was indeed in love with her and those nice, safe coffee dates would at some point have to give way to what they both truly wanted.

Right, it’s a lot harder to get over someone that’s still in love with you, and still acting like she’s in love with you. The situation really lent itself to things breaking and for Willow to eventually cheat.

Or, you know, right away. ^_^

Quote:
Really nice job, girlfriend. I very much enjoyed reading this.

Squee!

I know I said this over Facebook, but I’m kind of in love with you now. Though, I sort of was before. I mean, seriously, “femme fatale cum Strunk and White”? Swoon. (I actually gave my fiancé, Adam, a copy of Strunk at White for Christmas one year.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:00 pm 

Author: BeMyDeputy (Kate)
Rating: PG
Feedback: Yes please! This is currently an un-betaed writing exercise. Both positive and negative feedback are extremely welcome. Like, "please rip this to shreds" welcome.
Disclaimer: The entire Buffyverse (including setting, characters, and plot) is property of it's owners, including but not limited to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. No copyright infringement is intended by this work.
Original Piece: Vignettes #49: Just Dinner by Sassette
Acknowledgments: Thanks to Sassette for her continued permission, as well as making me realized that I originally had Willow thinking like Tara, when she really should be thinking like Willow. Because, you know, she’s Willow. Also for suggesting the phrases “double-duh” and “triple-dog-duh.” Also thanks to wayland and Ariel for the continued encouragement and input on, well, everything I do.

Notes: Another POV swap, because they’re fun, and also a change in the timing.

Sincerest Form of Flattery #5: After Dinner

“Well, that was a disaster.” Tara collapsed onto the couch.

“Hey.” Willow cautiously put her arm around Tara. “It went great.”

“Great?” Tara’s head snapped up as she shifted her gaze from her lap to Willow’s face. “Great? You call that going great?”

“Well, it went way better than me meeting your family.” Tara glowered. “Okay, not funny. But, really, sweetie, it went--”

First, you were late, so I had to figure out what to wear on my own.”

“Baby, you look great. Gorgeous--”

“Before that, of course, I paced in front of the front door for twenty minutes before I finally figured out that you weren’t going to be home on time.” Tara stood abruptly and started to pace around the living room, as if to demonstrate. “But even after all that, I still was ready in plenty of time to think.”

Willow perked up. “Thinking is good, isn’t--”

“No, Will, it was not good. Thinking plus upcoming nerve-wracking event equals what?

“Panic, but sweetie, there was no reason to be--”

Tara wheeled around to face Willow. “That’s right, Willow. Panic. Which is why by the time you got home, you had to talk me down from taking ipecac in an attempt to fake the flu.”

“Which I did. And that was a good--”

“Only it wasn’t. Because if you’d let me take it, we wouldn’t have gone.”

“Sweetie, it was just dinner.”

“Just dinner? Right, just dinner with the parents of the girl I’ve been sleeping with for the past two years. What was I supposed to say, Willow? ‘Gee, thanks, Dr. and Dr. Rosenberg, for raising such a great lay.’”

“No, you weren’t. And you didn’t. So, good on--”

“I may as well have! I mean, your dad asked me three times if I’m Jewish. Three. Apparently ‘no’ wasn’t good enough the first two times.”

“Four.” Willow squeaked.

“Four? Four what?”

“Four times. That was what he said in Hebrew that Mom didn’t--”

“Then there was the Hebrew. Why did he randomly break into Hebrew, which neither of us speak?”

“He just got back from Israel, and it takes him a couple of days to get used to things in the--”

“Hey, Sheila was the one who picked tonight, and she knew your Dad’s travel plans.” Tara crumpled onto the couch again. “And Sheila!” Tara turned to face Willow, desperation in her eyes. “What kind of ‘meet the girlfriend’ question is ‘what do you think about the social and political impact of the Stonewall Riots?’ I was negative eleven years old when they happened. Besides, I don’t know anything about gay culture. I just know I like girls.” Tara’s head drooped, and she cradled it in her hands.

“I should have warned you about that.”

Tara’s head shot up. “You knew? You knew she was going to ask me that? And you didn’t--”

“Tara.” Willow wrapped her arms around Tara and pulled her close. “I didn’t know she’d ask that exactly. It’s just . . . look, she grew up hearing about the family she lost in concentration camps. Just like Dad did, and just like I did. That sort of upbringing makes you think a lot about how history shapes culture. Honestly . . . that was her trying to connect with you, in the only way she knows how.”

Willow watched as the anger and frustration on Tara’s face gave way to despair. “I . . . I really feel like an ass now.”

“It’s okay, baby. Really.”

“No, it isn’t. I mean, I’ve been ranting a-and yelling a-and--”

“Listen to me. It is okay.” Tara nestled her face in Willow’s neck, and Willow kissed the top of her head gently. “You were thrown. There’s no reason you should know how my mother’s brain works. It was perfectly understandable. Completely and totally reasonable. What matters to me is that you listened when I told you where she was coming from. That’s going to come in handy at the wedding.”

“What wedding?”

“Our wedding. I mean, I’m not particularly observant, but I’ll be expected to maintain some traditions. Like the glass breaking. Huh, I wonder who’s supposed to break the glass when two women get--” Willow cut herself off this time as she realized that Tara had gone stiff in her arms.

“Did you just, umm … propose to me?”

It was Willow’s turn to freeze. Really, she kind of had. But she’d done it completely wrong. It was supposed to be a question, and she was supposed to be on one knee. Was it bad luck if you weren’t on one knee?

“Um.” Willow pulled back far enough to look at Tara. Her eyes were wide and her mouth slightly open in shock. “Kinda?”

Shit. Wrong answer.

“I mean,” Willow hastily continued in an attempt to stave off the sadness creeping on to Tara’s face. “I just thought . . . .” Willow faltered.

Tara closed her eyes and took a deep breath as she shook her head. “No, I understand. That’s not what you meant.”

“But I do. Mean it, that is. I didn’t plan it, but I’d assumed . . . we already agreed to the ‘Willow gets one dog for every odd numbered cat’ rule.”

“So . . . you did ask me to marry you?” The restraint in Tara’s voice was heartbreaking.

Willow pulled away from Tara, sliding off the couch and on to one knee, for luck. “No, I didn’t. But I am now.” As she took Tara’s hands she continued, “Tara, you’re the most amazing thing that’s ever happened to me. Would you agree to make the rest of my life that amazing by marrying me?” It wasn’t exactly the most eloquent thing she’d ever said. But she was asking the most important question of her life on the fly.

It was fast, but Willow was practiced enough to see that Tara’s smile slid up on one side of her face before the other side caught up. Suddenly, Willow found herself on Tara’s lap and caught up in a kiss.

“Um, is that a yes?”

Tara laughed. “That’s a yes.”

“Really?” It wasn’t that Willow had been worried, exactly; they had worked out an agreeable dog-to-cat ratio, after all. She just hadn’t been certain.

Tara rolled her eyes. “Well, duh.”

Duh.

It was odd to hear Tara speak so, well, commonly, but it really did sum everything up perfectly. It’s probably what Willow would have said if Tara had accidentally-then-purposefully proposed.

It had always been so blindingly obvious that they belonged together. So obvious, in fact, that Willow had basically forgotten the question was there to ask. Even before now, all the evidence converged on that result as being an inevitable step in their relationship. It was the most parsimonious explanation for everything. And that was just a fancy way of saying “duh,” anyway.

But now it had gone from “predicted” to “observed.” The question was behind them: she had asked (eventually), and Tara had said yes. It was done. The probability that Tara wanted spend the rest of their crazy, Hellmouth-y lives together had shot up from zero-point-nine-something to one. It was certain. Known.

Duh.

Supporting data point number one: Tara loved her. It was so clear, so obvious, that she had known it since before Tara had said the words. She trusted that Tara loved her more than she trusted anything: magic, science, even gravity. But she’d never been able to quash the fear that something would get in the way. The half-life of relationships on the Hellmouth was pretty short, after all. But now they could take the incredibly awesome power of their love, forged by this commitment, and stake those stupid fears in their sleep. Which was good. Better than good. Great. Super.

Checkmark in the “duh” category.

Supporting data point number two: Willow had seen Tara as her future for years. Hell, it had been one of the reasons she found she couldn’t go back to Oz: when she had thought of the future, she couldn’t see it without Tara. Being friends wasn’t enough.

Double-duh.

Supporting data point number three: They made a hell of a team. Willow had determination in spades, and Tara had the uncanny ability not only to make sense of “totally spazzing Willow,” but also to see the core of a problem and aim a determined Willow right at it. So while Willow had no illusions that it would always be easy, or that they were immune to life throwing problems at them, insurmountable challenges had just been knocked down to surmountable ones.

Triple-dog-duh with a cherry on top.

“Shiny,” Willow said, smiling so hard that when she leaned in to kiss Tara again, she couldn’t really do a proper job of it. Tara. Who she got to keep. Who had said yes to a question she hadn’t planned to ask, but ended up asking anyway.

A question her heart had been asking long before her brain could catch up.

“Very shiny,” Tara mumbled into their kiss.

Still unable to stop smiling to actually kiss Tara the way she deserved, Willow slid her hands into the back of Tara’s skirt to grab her ass. She heard Tara gasp, and Willow realized that they should celebrate. Properly.

Naked.

“C’mon,” Willow said as she stood, pulling Tara up with her.

“You’re right. We should tell your parents.” Tara grabbed Willow’s phone from her pocket and dialed the saved number before handing the phone to back to Willow.

“But . . . but . . . you’re evil,” Willow whispered as the phone rang.

“You love it.”

“Yeah,” Willow agreed softly. “I really do.”

Post subject: Re: The Sincerest Form of Flattery: A Series (#5 posted 6/26
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:00 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 2
... I'm fairly certain this is dibs.
When this popped up on my screen, I read my way through all of these, the originals, and many of the reviews. You've got a really interesting concept going here, and I'm looking forward to mote.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:15 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Katie

Quote:
But it's confession time for me. I haven't read “Shadow and Sunlight.” And I won't. I read your disclaimer on it, tentatively read . . . I think it was two or three paragraphs in, and was like “yup, Willow's a vampire. I'm-a believe her on that disclaimer and put this down now.” I'm quite sure you have the capacity to write Willow and/or Tara doing really fucked up, amoral shit as vampires. And I'm sure it's beautifully written. But blood play makes me all squicky, so I avoid vampire stories.
Very fascinating. I’m a little disappointed to read that just because I think it may be my best writing ever but I also think it’s important to know what squicks you out and not do it. Now I’ve got to think about whether there is any actual blood play in the story. Hmmm… I can’t go back and look at the moment but I think it might be… “hey… today Tara is a vampire…” but I’d have to look so stay away from the squicky vampire…

Quote:
I through these lines in because I knew it was weird. I've never met anyone who keeps kosher, and the people I know don't eat pork don't exclude it for religious reasons. Wait, no, I know some Muslim people who exclude it for religious reasons. But anyway, I grew up in Iowa. How can you not eat pork? It's delicious!
I kept kosher for my first eleven years and have been a vegetarian for the past 10+. One of my best friends is Muslim but conveniently we live in Austin so asking is something is vegetarian is about like asking if they have a napkin.

Quote:
I live in such an isolated, liberal world that the idea of anyone saying this seriously simply befuddles me. The idea that anyone has said that to you, or any other parent, is damned insulting.
People say retarded fucking shit. Our son has big ears. His godfather also has big ears. His godparents have a friend who spent years joking loudly that said godfather was my son’s father. It was hard to know whether the implication that my wife cheated on me with him or that he cheated on his wife with her or that they cheated on us with each other was more offensive. And this guy can’t understand why his wife keeps telling him to shut the fuck up.

Re: The Hell in Between

Quote:
Thanks to JustSkiptIt for putting me in contact with AntigoneUnbound so I could ask permission.
Of course you’re welcome.

Quote:
Tara got the distinct impression that Chris believed they were on a date. The problem with that, of course, was that Tara was sure that she was not on a date.
I truly love this realization in constrast to your earlier rewrite “Totally a date” (I hope I got that title right). In that one Tara doesn’t even suspect that she’s on a date but she is. Tee hee.

I love the ten months, ten weeks, ten days progression. Nicely done and very Tara feeling.

Quote:
On the other, it was extraordinarily dangerous; it took all her willpower during these public meetings not to just grab Willow and kiss her senseless. In private, she would surely lose the ability to stop herself from ripping off Willow's clothes. Tara idly wondered if Willow would even stop her.
Do we want to test that theory…

Quote:
Why had Willow even brought it up? To torture her? To test her restraint? Willow knew perfectly well how much Tara wanted her. Tara shook her head. She knew Willow intended no such thing.
Yet. I used to do these weekend personal growth workshop things. They were extremely valuable. One of the common sayings is that intention = result. If Willow says this and it does test Tara’s restraint, then by definition that was at least a part of Willow’s intention. I believe that in some cases you can say that Tara’s response is colored by her and her prior and present experiences but in this case Willow know enough to know that she’s tempting Tara so bad Willow.

Quote:
Willow was here.

Willow was here watching her with Chris.

It was making Willow cry.
Good. As well is should. I know that Willow’s in pain and I’ve probably read the OST scene a good 15 times and felt bad for her every time but I honestly don’t have that much compassion for her. She brought this on. She made her choices and then expects Tara to be ok with it. She should feel some sort of the pain that she is sharing around.

Quote:
Tara bolted after Willow, but didn't see her outside the door. She ran as fast as she could towards Stevenson, hoping that they would both make the trip safely. She had to have a chance to explain, to tell Willow that Chris was just a friend. To say that there was nothing to be jealous over, because Tara was still in love with her. Only wanted to be with her. But above all, to tell Willow that one way or another, things had to change.
Yes. Things have to change. Without or without Tara. Things have to change.

I love that you broke the story where you broke it. I really do. I don’t know how much more to say except that your perception from Tara’s POV is very perfect. Well done.

Quote:
I would say ‘to delight Chris no end’ without the ‘to’, but that could be a British thing.
Clare mentioned this. It’s also said that way in parts of America but I say it with the to.

After Dinner

Quote:
“Well, it went way better than me meeting your family.” Tara glowered. “Okay, not funny. But, really, sweetie, it went--”
Lol!

Quote:
“First, you were late, so I had to figure out what to wear on my own.”…

“Sweetie, it was just dinner.”
OMG! Like serious OMG. Willow! She doesn’t want you to argue with her. She doesn’t want you to say it’s all ok. She doesn’t want you to say that it went well. She wants you to acknowledge her feelings. You want to hold her and say “you see really … nervous/scared/upset/disappointed” etc. Whatever it is. And then continue in that vein until she begins to agree that it wasn’t that bad and see the humor in the entire thing.

Willow’s dad asked three times if the blonde, blue eyed girl named Maclay was Jewish? Wow, there’s an optimist for you.

Quote:
“And Sheila!” Tara turned to face Willow, desperation in her eyes. “What kind of ‘meet the girlfriend’ question is ‘what do you think about the social and political impact of the Stonewall Riots?’ I was negative eleven years old when they happened. Besides, I don’t know anything about gay culture. I just know I like girls.” Tara’s head drooped, and she cradled it in her hands.
Hystical! That’s so classic Sheila (from a million miles of FF and a few feet of actual BtVS footage).

Very cute marriage proposal even if they both get all awkward about it for a while. Tee hee.

Quote:
“Um, is that a yes?”

Tara laughed. “That’s a yes.”
Tee hee.

Quote:
Willow would have said if Tara had accidentally-then-purposefully proposed.
Nice callback to Sassette’s piece.

Quote:
Willow realized that they should celebrate. Properly.

Naked.
Yes! Quite.

Hmmm. Awesome of Tara to call Willow’s parents to tell them. Why did it take 2 years to meet the parents? Scheduling difficulties? Willow’s estrangement from them? That seems like a long time.

Quite awesomely touching piece.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:23 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Hi Kate,

After Dinner is great fun. The recent pieces you’ve been working on have been much darker in tone, so I’d kind of forgotten what a talent you have for sharp, witty dialogue.

I love the way you have Tara losing it here. Not at all the understanding-to-a-fault, serene goddess we often read. I always like characters to have recognisable human flaws and both oblivious Willow and rattled Tara ring true.

Snappy Tara is great
Quote:
Gee, thanks, Dr. and Dr. Rosenberg, for raising such a great lay

So is poor, out-of-her-depth Tara. .
Quote:
Besides, I don’t know anything about gay culture. I just know I like girls

And Willow just digs a deeper hole . . .
Quote:
“Four.” Willow squeaked

And evil Tara at the end. Terrific.

In this rewrite you’ve changed the details and the POV but the tone is very like Sassette’s original, (have I mentioned how much I love Sassette’s vignettes? Oh yes . . several times.) I think this is perhaps due to the fact that, though Willow and Tara start off in very different moods, they feel exactly the same way about each other and about the proposal. Unlike say, Totally A Date, where they’re at cross purposes until the very end, so the POV switch made a big difference..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:14 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
Hi Katie!

Sorry it took me so long to fb, sometimes I just forget. Anyway, I really enjoyed this last story. Tara's anxiety was adorable!

1st favorite part...
Quote:
I was negative eleven years old when they happened. Besides, I don’t know anything about gay culture. I just know I like girls.
I was 18 mos. old and I hate it when people ask me dumb questions like that, but it was classic Sheila! Bravo!!

2nd favorite part...
Quote:
“Did you just, umm … propose to me?”
And then the conversation that follows...adorable! Loved it! Celebrating naked...is there any other way?

Very nice! :grin

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 pm 

Brave-little-toaster:
Hey, congratulations on your dibs. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed these, and particularly glad you took the time to read some of the reviews. I think these have been the source of some interesting discussion. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment. Sorry it took so long for the next one, but here’s some more for you!

JustSkipIt:
Deb,
As I told you, I did indeed end up reading “Shadow and Sunlight,” and enjoyed it quite a bit. So I’m glad I gave it a shot.

The Hell in Between:
I’m glad you liked the ten months/weeks/days progression. It was sparked by the fact that the original spends a lot of time orienting the reader in time, but then my love of parallel structure took over. (Again, with the structure dork bit.)

The workshop thingies you mentioned? I disagree with the premise you presented from them. But yes, Willow’s motives in mentioning Oz’s absence here are extremely suspect. Willow knows it, Tara knows it.

Quote:
She made her choices and then expects Tara to be ok with it.

Hmm. Yes and no. I mean, it is Willow’s choice that put them in this situation. And Willow, being the one who comes out of this (theoretically) with both a boyfriend and her friendship with Tara. But at the same time, Tara did tell Willow, explicitly, to do what made her happy. Tara said she’d be Willow’s friend either way. So, yes, Willow expects Tara to be okay with the choice, but because Tara said she’d be okay with it. I think it points to Tara’s naiveté, her lack of experience in relationships, that she doesn’t know that it takes time to heal before the idea of being friends again makes sense. But why shouldn’t Willow have taken that at face value?

Quote:
I love that you broke the story where you broke it. I really do. I don’t know how much more to say except that your perception from Tara’s POV is very perfect. Well done.

Aww, thanks. I think that I broke it where it needed to stop. But I’m so happy you enjoyed it.

Quote:
OMG! Like serious OMG. Willow!

I only get angry at characters when something is really well written, so I’m going to take this as a compliment.
Quote:
Willow’s dad asked three times if the blonde, blue eyed girl named Maclay was Jewish? Wow, there’s an optimist for you.

Okay, it’s not explained at all, but it’s not him being an optimist, it’s him being really, really tired. He seriously landed hours ago. Because Shelia was really dumb in arranging this meeting. He’s not thinking well. Instead, he’s defaulting to the ‘meeting the boy/girlfriend’ questions, and forgets that he’s gotten an answer.
Quote:
Why did it take 2 years to meet the parents? Scheduling difficulties? Willow’s estrangement from them? That seems like a long time.

Willow’s estrangement. It really isn’t until Joyce dies that Willow begins to repair her relationship with her parents (mentioned all of once, I believe). And yes, it is a really long time. But she’s not ready to introduce Tara right away, because she’s really protective of Tara.

Anyway, thanks for writing. Your praise is always heartwarming.

Wayland:
Clare, I’m so happy you liked this. I try very hard for good dialogue, so it’s nice to hear that you enjoy it. And the lines that you pulled out are certainly some of my favorites.
Quote:
The recent pieces you’ve been working on have been much darker in tone,

This made me laugh, because I posted this in the middle of my drabbles, which were not dark at all. But I think you had “Wedding Nights” around this time, which . . . . Yes. Darker.

Your observations on tone are right. Sometimes these rewrites match the original’s tone, and sometimes they don’t. But I think that the details I move around, including the POV, sometimes lend themselves to a different tone. I think I should probably spend more time experimenting with tone. I think it would be good for me.

Shelby,
Hey, late feedback is still loved feedback. Happy you liked it. I’m so glad you loved anxious Tara. We don’t see her perturbed a lot. But it’s pretty cool when she is. Thanks for writing!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 pm 

Rating: PG
Feedback: Yes please! This is currently an un-betaed writing exercise. Both positive and negative feedback are extremely welcome. Like, "please rip this to shreds" welcome.
Disclaimer: The entire Buffyverse (including setting, characters, and plot) is property of its owners, including but not limited to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. No copyright infringement is intended by this work.
Original Piece: A Traditional New Year’s Eve by wayland
Acknowledgments: Thanks to wayland, for the permission to write this, as well as for her assistance with some of the Anglification. Mad props to everyone who writes in American who doesn't natively speak our dialect.

Notes: Yet another POV swap . . . because . . . god, because I'm in a rut. I should mix this shit up. I mean, um, because this lent itself to a POV swap. Yeah.
Notes II: Happy Birthday, Clare.

Sincerest Form of Flattery #6: Rituals

As a cuckoo clock sounded the hour, Tara stood at her gas hob, idly pushing diced chicken around a wok for her supper. Though the meat was cooking a mere couple of feet from her nose, the smell of the charcoal fires and Middle Eastern spices from downstairs permeated her flat, the way it always did.

Half metre, she reminded herself. She was never going to get the hang of metric if she kept thinking in imperial.

She looked over to the clock, confirming the time. Five hours. Five hours until 2012. Thankfully, it was a Saturday, and she’d had time to take care of almost all of her pre-New Year’s rituals: her debts were paid, her washing was done, the rubbish was out, and the only washing up to do was the dishes she was dirtying making her stir fry. Not that she believed in any of those superstitions. But her mother had been firm about putting the house in order before the end of the year. Tara had continued them in her own home.

Tara felt her thumbnail at the base of her ring finger. She looked down in consternation before she realised what was wrong: she’d taken off her ring to handle the raw chicken. Though she worried that she would eventually wear the ring down, she had never got the hang of not fidgeting with her ring. It was almost as though the stutter she had worked so hard to eliminate had simply moved to her left thumb.

At least the bit with the ring didn’t interfere with her job.

After a quick glance at her chicken, Tara decided she could leave it for a moment. She turned about face in the narrow hallway of a kitchen to her sink and washed her hands. After drying them, she reached up to the picture of her mother that hung above the sink. ‘Happy New Year, Mum,’ she murmured as she brushed her fingers across the photo and up to the nail holding it up, where she had hooked her ring.

Tara spun once more as she replaced the ring on her finger and returned to her food with a frown. Even more than Christmas, New Year’s Eve was a day of tradition. Of rituals. Of habits she had learned as a small child. Tonight there was a game of pinochle she should be playing. Sure, it was at her friend Livia’s house instead of the old family house in Hampstead, and it was among friends instead of her immediate family. Still, she’d played cards into the new year as long as she could remember: pinochle since her parents taught her and Donny when she was ten, and rummy before that. Before rummy, though, she couldn’t remember. The idea of not being able to play cards was like the idea of not being able to read: simply impossible to imagine.

Tara glanced at her clock again. Her friends would be sitting down to their Indian take away right about now. And yet, here she was, making herself stir fry.

What the hell am I doing?

It was a question she’d been asking herself since she had finally, hands shaking, picked up the phone to call Livia and cancel. That was two hours ago. It felt like ages. Tara knew she was a creature of habit. This disruption felt like an itch she just couldn’t quite reach. At the same time, New Year’s Eve was the only excuse she could think of to see Willow Rosenberg.

Tara knew that the company Health and Safety course she taught was not a favourite of the staff. But the numbers didn’t lie: injuries were down 17% from when employees were allowed to take the course online. So, once a month, she stood up in front of a class that did not want to be there, and did her best to charm them into remembering the information.

Tara was used to people lumbering unwillingly into the classroom, gripping their coffees like life rafts. It took a few jokes, a few dozen doughnuts, and reassurance that she believed that their time was valuable, but Tara was always able to get most people to stop grumbling and pay attention.

Last week’s class, however, had thrown her.

Last week, she received the polite, indifferent attention she always did from her co-workers. Except for one. One woman—a decidedly beautiful woman—sat enraptured through the entire class. It was peculiar. The woman had shuffled into the room with the last of the stragglers, an appallingly large coffee in her hand. Tara didn’t recognise her, but that wasn’t unusual: the classes usually contained a good number of new hires. She did, however, recognise the entrance demeanour. People who came in like that were the hardest to persuade to look at anything other than the doughnuts.

And yet.

And yet this woman had come to life as soon as Tara stepped forward to introduce herself. From the distance, she couldn’t see the colour, but her eyes were . . . expressive. And on her. Of course they were on her, though. She was teaching. It had taken time, but she’d grown accustomed to a room full of people watching her. But this was different.

As she scanned the faces in the room, Tara couldn’t help but find her eyes resting on this woman’s over and over. At one point, she seemed to have been caught looking, as the woman’s cheeks tinged pink and she squirmed a bit in her chair. Years of practice let Tara continue her presentation, but the experience was more like watching herself in a dream.

Finally, Tara found herself wrapping up the presentation. It felt like mere minutes had passed, not three hours. Worried she had been distracted into forgetting to cover something important, Tara moved to quickly pack up her materials.

An energetic voice at her side startled her. The woman, who introduced herself as Willow Rosenberg, had come up to talk. She spoke quickly but clearly, and in an American accent. That Willow had come to talk to her at all broke Tara out of the confident poise she adopted when she presented. That Willow’s words were full of emphatic praise made Tara retreat into her near-banished shyness.

The next day, Tara found herself casually looking up the company’s dating policies. Sometimes people asked questions at her sessions outside of the purview of her department, but she still wanted to be able to answer them. That she felt delight that there were no prohibitions against dating people in other departments meant nothing.

Nothing at all.

Two days after her presentation, Tara found herself subtly asking around the office about the American girl who had transferred down from Edinburgh—the transfer being one of the details about Willow that had come mixed in with all the praise. Tara discovered that Willow was from California, was already well liked by those who knew her, and highly regarded by those who worked with her. Tara also discovered Willow would be leaving soon.

Tara knew two things. First, the lack of interest she had feigned was just that. Feigned. Second, she knew she had a choice. She could hold onto the praise from and brief interactions with a beautiful woman. A woman who would likely be returning to the States in six months. She could think back on it, and it would make her smile.

Or she could take a chance.

As she poured her vegetables into the pan, Tara tried to comfort herself with the fact that, should things go terribly wrong, Willow would be leaving and she wouldn’t have a constant reminder of her blunder. Of course, if things went well . . . Tara could only hope that the first impression the local office had of Willow would develop into an offer for another contract, or perhaps a permanent position.

Tara shook her head. She’d made her choice. Now she just had to follow through. In the meantime, she needed to distract herself. Tara headed into the living room and picked up her laptop before depositing it on her card table (a much cheaper alternative, not to mention easier to haul up to her flat, than a proper dining room table). She slid in her film, pressed play, and let herself become absorbed into the story as she finished preparing her meal. Maybe I can borrow some courage from Maria von Trapp.

When the credits rolled, Tara had already finished the last remnants of the washing up and tidied the kitchen. Everything was in order. Rather than let herself sit and talk herself out of leaving, Tara promptly stood and put on her coat. As she pulled on her hat and gloves, she wavered: should she bring something? Champagne would be traditional for New Year’s, of course, but she didn’t have any. Returning to her kitchen, she discovered the bottle of red wine she had planned to bring to Livia’s. She grabbed it with a smile, and made it halfway to the door before she stopped.

Tara knew she was pushing her luck. She planned to show up unannounced on the doorstep of a total stranger on New Year’s Eve. Would a bottle of wine be too obvious? How could it she possibly make it look casual with a bottle of wine in her hand? She frowned. With a sigh, she turned around again and put the bottle back in the kitchen. If she had been going to friend’s place, Tara would stop by a shop and pick up . . . something. But it was late enough as it was.

It was a short enough drive from her flat on the High Road to Kensington, but it was long enough for Tara’s nerves to set in. She should have phoned first. Not that she could have done. The company apartment didn’t actually have a phone, since everyone who had needed it carried a mobile. Of course, if she had been able to phone . . . Tara gripped the wheel tightly. Somehow, showing up unannounced seemed less daunting than picking up a telephone.

By the time Tara found somewhere to park, Tara had passed by the flat three times. But she could see the light was on through the window, and each time it sent an excited jolt down her spine. As she walked to the door, she rehearsed her fabricated explanation for her appearance. Finally, Tara held her breath as she rang the buzzer.

Nothing.

No sounds of movement, but no muffled voices, either. She tried again, blinking in disbelief. She hadn’t thought through what she would do if Willow didn’t answer the door. Besides, she had seen the lights. Hadn’t she? Any other night, she would worry that Willow had simply fallen asleep with the lights on. But who went to bed early on New Year’s Eve?

After a third try, Tara prepared to turn away. But then there was the sound of scurried movement inside. The door opened, and Tara swallowed at the sight of Willow framed in the doorway.

Tara couldn’t have told anyone what she expected to happen once Willow opened the door. But she knew she didn’t expect what actually happened. Willow simply stood, frozen. After the warm way Willow had spoken to her after the class, Tara had certainly hoped for a smile, at the very least. But she got none. When Willow finally moved, she looked down at the floor, then back up. Her hand jumped to her face and her fingers moved across it as though she was searching for a message written on it in Braille. Finally, her hand dropped again, and she simply stared at Tara once more.

‘Hi Willow, it’s Tara.’ Tara finally managed to get out. ‘From the office. I was just passing and you said you were staying here, and it’s New Year’s Eve and you just arrived in London . . . ,’ Tara’s more articulate explanation had gone flying out the window in the face of Willow’s strange behaviour, ‘and I thought . . . ,’ Tara felt deeply foolish as she waited for Willow to say something, anything, but was met with silence, ‘I was passing and . . . .’ Tara shrugged helplessly.

‘Oh, don’t worry, I hate New Year’s Eve, I mean, it’s so bleak, isn’t it? All that hype and frenzied anticipation of . . . what, exactly? A hangover and resolutions that won’t last the week?’ The loud and enthusiastic disparaging of the holiday filled the hallway.

‘Oh.’ God, this was a mistake. I should just apologise for bothering her and go home.

‘No, no, I’m being the Grinch, no, wrong country, I’m Ebenezer Scrooge, ‘Bah, humbug!’ Except that’s not right either, because I love Christmas, even though I’m Jewish and a tiny part of me thinks I really shouldn’t.’ Tara blinked, dazed by the rapid mood shift. ‘Love it. I mean.’

Silence hung between them again before Willow gestured into the flat. ‘Please, come in.’

In the two minutes at the door, Tara had managed to feel more uncomfortable than she had in the past year. As much as she had earlier hoped for this very invitation, she found herself suddenly wary. ‘Well, it’s rather late . . . .’ Tara wanted to be convinced to come in, but instead Willow’s eyes darted up to a clock. Embarrassment settled sickeningly in Tara’s stomach. It was far too late for her to be calling on a stranger. Besides, Tara suddenly realised, if she wanted company, a girl that looks like that would already have it. She began stepping away, preparing to turn tail and run. ‘. . . . And so long as you’re okay—’

‘No!’ The shouted interruption stopped Tara in her tracks. ‘Please, do come in. Have a drink with me. Really, it’s lovely to have company. Please.’

Tara stalled, unsure if she should return to her ‘flee’ plan. But then there was a warm hand on her elbow, and Tara let herself be guided inside. Words once more poured from Willow’s mouth, but Tara couldn’t hear past the warm tingling that spread from where the hand rested on her elbow.

Then the hand was gone, and Tara found herself in the kitchen. I guess I’m staying. She tugged off her gloves as Willow opened a cupboard. And another one. And another.

‘I’m sorry. I’ve only been here a week, and haven’t gotten anything but coffee yet.’

‘That’s okay, coffee would be fine.’ Tara smiled, thinking of the bottle of wine sitting on her kitchen counter. She could have passed it off as a ‘welcome to London’ gift, now that she thought about it. ‘Honestly, I’m driving, anyway.’

‘Really? Did you find a parking space okay? The traffic wardens around here are meant to be ferocious.’ Tara nodded, suddenly grateful she had passed by the space at the end of a street that would have put her car on double yellow lines.

Willow’s face tensed for a moment before she continued. ‘So, your husband doesn’t mind you abandoning him on New Year’s Eve?’

‘What?’ Husband? What . . . ? Tara followed Willow’s eyes down to her ring. Of course. ‘Oh, I’m not married.’ Tara took a breath as she tried to push the inevitable sadness from her voice. ‘This was my mother’s ring.’ When the words came out, she knew she had failed.

Looking away, Tara steadied herself. The ring had proved to be not only a physical connection to her mother, but a convenient way to stave off unwanted attention. It was only now that she realised she would have to explain it, and end up thinking of her mother, when trying to flirt. Tara looked back to Willow. ‘I should wear it on the other hand, I guess, but this avoids . . . complications.’ The silence that followed made Tara squirm. Trying and failing.

‘I imagined your husband.’

‘What?’ The nonsensical statement threw Tara.

‘He’s a big guy, he used to play rugby, but he’s kind and funny. You met at university. He’s called Joe. Or Tom. Something simple. You have two children. Both boys. Or maybe one of each, I haven’t decided. You all live in a detached house in the suburbs. It’s pretty. And you have a dog. A Golden Labrador.’

Tara could only stare. As she decided to call on Willow over the past week, Tara had simply hoped that Willow would recognise her. Would remember who she was. But instead . . . instead, Willow had invested time thinking about her. Wondering about her. Imagining her life. Sure, in this story she had ended up with a man, but still. And of course, another vital detail was wrong. ‘I prefer cats.’ Tara relaxed enough to smile a bit as she let Willow in on the rest. ‘And I live alone. In a flat in Kilburn, above a kebab shop.’

Willow leaned back on the counter, and Tara felt herself relax further. That Willow had bothered to think so much about her was deeply flattering. Maybe she wasn’t as terribly mistaken in coming over tonight after all. ‘Do you do this a lot?’

‘You mean, make up stories about complete strangers?’ she checked. When Tara nodded, Willow continued. ‘Sure. It passes the time.’

Maybe, of course, this didn’t make Tara special at all. Still, no one had ever done that before. At least, not that she knew. ‘It’s sweet. Deeply strange, but sweet.’

Willow turned to the coffee cups, and Tara caught what she thought was a flush of embarrassment on her face. Well done, Tara. Way to call your extremely attractive host ‘strange.’

When she turned back to Tara, Willow’s bright smile was back. Perhaps she’d been wrong. ‘Here you go,’ she said, handing Tara one of the cups. ‘C’mon, the living room is just this way.’ Tara hoped for Willow’s hand to land on her elbow once more, but instead, Willow just led the way to the next room.

As they settled onto the couch, Tara racked her brain for ways to ingratiate herself with Willow, rather than call her names. She remembered, and promptly launched into, her carefully thought-out explanation for showing up unannounced. Halfway through, however, she remembered what Willow had said at the door.

‘. . . But if you don’t like New Year’s—’

‘Oh, no, Hogmanay was fun last year. Kind of interesting, anyway.’ Tara smiled at the interruption. She cares what I think of her. The thought distracted Tara away from the beginning of the story Willow told.

‘. . . tall, dark men were a valuable resource at that time of year, and, in good conscience, I couldn’t deprive my neighbours of their share of good luck by keeping him all to myself.’

‘That was very public spirited of you.’ Tara nodded, hoping her disengagement was not obvious.

‘I thought so,’ Willow replied, ‘And I confiscated the mistletoe on Health and Safety grounds.’

‘Prevention is our watch word,’ Tara deadpanned. She thought back: she’d missed the mistletoe. There hadn’t been kissing, had there? ‘And, it’s a good job we’re in England,’ she continued, changing the subject quickly, ‘or this would all be terribly bad luck.’

‘Oh, how so?’ Willow leaned forward, and Tara felt her heart beat faster.

‘Let’s see, I crossed your threshold before midnight, I was bearing no gifts. I’m not tall and I’m not dark.’ Tara counted the reasons off on her fingers as she enumerated them.

‘And you’re not a man,’ Willow chipped in.

‘No, I’m not a man.’

Tara looked intently at Willow, who met her gaze. But the talkative woman didn’t fill the gap with words. Just looked. Finally, Tara felt sure that she hadn’t been wrong about Willow.

Suddenly, Willow shook her head slightly as she sat upright once more. ‘England. We’re in England.’

‘We are.’ Tara smiled at the frustrated look Willow shot her.

‘I mean, tell me about the traditions here.’

‘Um . . . at midnight I guess people toast each other with champagne or something,’ Tara said, but then Willow looked down and Tara pressed on quickly, ‘and there’s the countdown to Big Ben chiming . . . you’ve heard of Big Ben?’

‘Oh yes,’ Willow flapped her free hand in excitement, ‘boing, boing, boing!’ Tara pulled a face, and Willow explained. ‘I used to listen to the BBC World Service when I was a child. I loved the way the announcer always said ‘This is London’ as if it were the centre of the known universe.’

‘Isn’t it?’ Tara’s heart melted a little. An American who listened to the World Service counted as a civilised human being in her book.

‘Ah, a Londoner I see,’ Willow observed.

‘Born and bred.’ Tara’s father had looked into it a few years back, and discovered their family had been in London since at least 1600. ‘And you’re Californian?’ The pilgrims hadn’t even found that rock of theirs in 1600.

Willow paused for a moment before she smiled, nodded, and began to speak about her hometown of Sunnydale, a town not far from Los Angeles. ‘Not far in miles,’ Willow emphasised. ‘Still hours in a car to get there. I think whoever designed the highway system there was under the influence of something . . . bad.’ The stories of her friends and their adventures were charming, and Tara found herself more and more enamoured with every word.

Tara returned the favour, and told of her time in Hampstead: growing up around the conflict of old money and liberal culture, visiting (much to Willow’s amusement) the museum at 2 Willow Road with her mother, about her family’s home and how that had gone to Donny when he got married.

She subtly checked the clock behind Willow. It was nearing midnight. If she was going to steer this her way, she needed to return to the topic of the holiday. Tara brought up the house’s chimney, and how they not only had a chimney sweep, but that he was always first in the door on New Year’s Day, though they had to wait up until about 2 a.m. for their turn. It wasn’t until she was older that Tara learned that not everyone had grown up with such luck.

‘And then we sing Auld Lang Syne, of course-’

‘Yes! And you aren’t meant to link arms ‘til the last verse. The English always get that wrong.’

Eyebrow raised, Tara kept her voice almost stern. ‘Is that so?’ But the distressed look on Willow’s face kept her from teasing too long, and a heartfelt smile broke out on her face. Tara decided to test the waters before she jumped in. ‘It’s a good job you’re here, to set me straight.’

Willow blushed. Though the turn of phrase had the desired effect, Tara felt the heat rise on her own cheeks and glanced away. She had one chance go get this right. And if she got it right, it would be perfect.

She just had to get it right.

‘Any more traditions I should know about?’

Tara took a deep breath as she looked up at the clock at once more. Less than two minutes. She turned her whole body to face Willow. One more step to get right.

‘Well, it’s probably the same everywhere . . . but on the stroke of midnight here, it’s traditional to kiss.’

Tara found Willow’s eyes and held them. If Willow had any doubts, any questions, as to Tara’s meaning, Tara had no more words to explain. She looked to Willow for some sign, for some token of permission. Tara wanted to be brave, but at the same time felt exposed after being so bold.

The hell with it.

Tara leaned forward and felt Willow move on the couch as she did so. Abstractly, she knew there were fireworks launching outside, but as Willow’s eyes came closer and closer, the only ones Tara cared about were the ones racing up her spine. The ones that went off as their eyes closed and lips touched.

Rituals, it turned out, weren’t everything.

Last edited by BeMyDeputy on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Sincerest Form of Flattery: A Series (#6 posted 1/24
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Dibs!!! :kgeek :whip

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:37 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Hello,

Just a quick message since it is past my bedtime :)

I loved this - really tied in wonderfully with the Willow POV piece (I remember thinking at the time that I'd love to see what Tara was thinking, so I was pleased to see this).

In my opinion, you've done a great job of capturing the essential British-ness (for want of a better term) of Tara while keeping her instantly recognisable. The line about London being the centre of the world made me laugh the first time I read it, and it made me smile again!

I'm currently living in Scotland, and they do make a big fuss of Hogmanay (though I sometimes cynically wonder how much of that is for the sassenachs like myself). I suppose that since it is Burns night tonight, I should mention (just as a quick aside) that that is very big too .

Anyway, back to feedback.....

It was great to see Tara's insecurities and thoughts, they serve as an interesting counterpoint to Willow's. But my favourite bit is just the last few lines:

Quote:
She had one chance go get this right. And if she got it right, it would be perfect.

She just had to get it right.

Builds the tension wonderfully

Quote:
‘Any more traditions I should know about?’

Tara took a deep breath as she looked up at the clock at once more. Less than two minutes. She turned her whole body to face Willow. One more step to get right.

‘Well, it’s probably the same everywhere . . . but on the stroke of midnight here, it’s traditional to kiss.’

Tara found Willow’s eyes and held them. If Willow had any doubts, any questions, as to Tara’s meaning, Tara had no more words to explain. She looked to Willow for some sign, for some token of permission. Tara wanted to be brave, but at the same time felt exposed after being so bold.

The hell with it.

This really captures that somewhat devil-may-care moment when you're with someone you find very attractive, getting caught up with what-ifs and maybes, and then decide to just go for it anyway. I love that - comes across as very familiar behaviour.

Quote:
Tara leaned forward and felt Willow move on the couch as she did so. Abstractly, she knew there were fireworks launching outside, but as Willow’s eyes came closer and closer, the only ones Tara cared about were the ones racing up her spine. The ones that went off as their eyes closed and lips touched.

:wtkiss

Quote:

While I really like that last, punchy line (and please don't take this as a criticism as I'm just being a bit dumb) I was slightly confused as to which rituals you meant? Tara seems to be quite in keeping with the midnight kiss (and, earlier, the setting all your business in order?). I was guessing you meant the countdown bit and toasting, but wasn't entirely sure....

Anyway, really, really loved this!

Thanks for the great fic,

JAK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:11 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 9
I am quickly scanning this as I have little time this morning. But I am having one of those moments where I am thinking, why haven't I read this yet? And then I look through the comments and the discussion and I get all jealous because I wish I could inspire long discussions with my work.

And then I think I need to get in on this. So I am typing this small note now, and I will get back to you.

Also, I sent you a PM about something else entirely.

-Delayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:03 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hi Kate,

Thank you for choosing my story to rewrite. I was flattered. I had a lot of fun watching you struggle with British English for this exercise. Yes, I laughed at your pain. As you discovered, finding the correct translation isn’t difficult – it’s knowing which words and phrases actually need translating. I’m glad, for the sake of your road safety should you ever come to these shores that you’re now familiar with pavement, kerb and tarmac and of course, zebra crossings.

I’ve always admired your rewrite series, and wondered how it would feel to be the subject of one. It’s strange, although you followed my fic’s structure and even used my dialogue, this story really feels completely yours. It shows the importance of the individual writer’s interpretation.

You could say that all of fanfic is essentially a rewrite and on the kitten board alone, there is a huge range of stories which contain subtly differing views of the characters. I think you tend to write Tara as a little more assertive than many others do, and this alters the tone of the story. In my mind, she was less honest with herself about why she was showing up at Willow’s door – she’d even half convinced herself that she was just being friendly to a new arrival.

Also, a POV shift makes a big difference when the characters don’t know each other well and are basically reading clues as to the other’s motivation.

I thought your story really took off from the point of Tara’s flashback. I particularly liked the bottle of wine dilemma. I won’t quote all the lines I liked, but this one caught my eye,

Quote:
Words once more poured from Willow’s mouth, but Tara couldn’t hear past the warm tingling that spread from where the hand rested on her elbow.

With reference to JAK’s point above about the final line, I interpreted it this way - Tara, with some trepidation, gave up her comforting ritual of New Year’s Eve card games with old friends to risk the potentially embarrassing pursuit of a beautiful stranger. Hence,

Quote:

I loved the story, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Cute story!