The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Fiction: Wave
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:13 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 1
aww that was funny! I'm glad Xander didn't go for the stake! I can't wait to see what they get up to at the beach :) Glad everyone's being more or less supportive!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:17 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... Big yay for Xander using holy Water instead of a stake... Good that Xander's carpentry skills were used to fix Tara's door...

Quote:
“I’m really sorry,” the boy said. “I misunderstood what—”

“Of course, Xander,” Giles replied sourly. “I can definitely see where ‘We’re almost done’ becomes ‘Hit me on the thumb’.”

“I did ask if you were sure,” Xander sulked.

This really made me laugh... Stupid Sheila :smash She really is one of the most egoistic people in the world... Good that Ira really is interested on what goes on in Willow's life... I hope Willow is able to tell Ira soon about her gayness and Tara... I also hope that Willow very soon tells that Buffy is a Slayer...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:56 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Well a lot seems out in the open. Willow's dad seems pretty ok given the fact that he's so absent. I wonder what he'd say if she actually told him anything. Her mom is obviously her normal piece of work. Geez. And now Tara can't stay when they're out of town. Dumb. The beach should be fun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:52 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Glad to see Willow's dad isn't as clueless as her mom. He knows something is going on in her life and wants to know about it. Looking forward to the day at the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 pm 

Laragh--Congrats on the DIBS! :D I'm really glad that you're enjoying the fic. I know I've said it before, but I always get a happy little quiver when I see your name. It's like JK Rowling leaving me feedback on a fantasy novel I've written! Thanks taking the time to point out particular moments, humor doesn't come easy to me, but there are just these moments that seem to write themselves with this fic, and that line from Willow was one of those. :D

Maggie--Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy what they get up to at the beach!!

Zampsa1975--I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the chapter...ah, that Xander. He's a silly guy. I'm glad you enjoyed Xander's banter with Giles!

Hey JustSkipIt--Again, happy shudder that a great writer is diggin' my fic...two fangirl sighs in one night! Yeah, Ira and Sheila, such a pain right? Don't worry, Willow's a clever girl, we'll see how long Sheila's rule actually stays in play! ;) Hope you like the beach stuff!

love_2003--Great to see you back! Yeah, I think because Ira was such a non-presence in the show it's easier to make him kind of okay. Sheila though...total bitch.

Thank you so much to everyone who is reading (especially reviewers) but I love you all the same!

Update follows immediately:

• Title - Wave
• Author name – LonelyTara
• Email Address - 9kodama@gmail.com
• Rating - PG-13, eventually R
• Disclaimer - This is a romantic and light-angst AU piece with plenty of adventure. Don't sue me, I'm not stealing anything, just borrowing!
• Feedback-Please, please!
• Summary- Wave is a season 2 AU. On Halloween, Willow meets a strange and beautiful blond girl, and becomes determined to find her. When they connect, Willow's life will be changed forever...
• Notes-Thanks to everyone who will read. Some of the dialogue in this chapter may come from BtVS episodes, but I don't think so...This chapter is huge, hope you enjoy.

Chapter Ten: The Day it Rained

“I was ready, but then the frogs came and took the coffee!” Willow cried, sitting up convulsively in her bed. She took a deep, gasping breath. As she sat there, she realized she was safe, in her own room, not trapped on a frog-swarmed beach. Her breathing slowed.

“Stupid dream,” she muttered.

Willow lay back down in bed for a few minutes, waiting to see if sleep would claim her again, but it didn’t. She rolled over and looked at the clock. 6:52. Willow climbed out of bed and padded over to her balcony door, pushing the blinds aside. From her vantage point she had a beautiful view of the neighborhood, painted in a pale rose glow from the newly risen sun.

“No more vamps,” she whispered happily. “Time to go see Tara.”

She showered and dressed in record time, hiding her swimsuit beneath a grass green t-shirt and a pair of denim shorts. For a minute Willow debated the merits of sneakers over flip-flops, but then she decided sneaks were best, in case of non-vamp demony encounters in the early morning. With that vital decision made, Willow emptied out her rainbow-strapped backpack and filled it with a pair of towels, a bottle of sunscreen, and a few granola bars pirated from the kitchen. She slid the pack on and headed out to get Buffy and Xander, pausing only for a moment in the kitchen to write her parents a note telling them her plans for the day.

The walk to Buffy’s house was a little eerie. Everything was so quiet, so still, the only sounds she heard were her own footsteps and the querulous coo of morning doves. By the time she reached Revello Drive there were a few people out and about, mowing lawns, washing cars, she even saw group of bicyclers sail down the street like geese flying in formation. A gaggle of bikers, she thought, and giggled. Willow was still laughing when she reached the driveway to the Summers house.

“Aw cruddly craps,” she muttered. The house was dark.

Willow stood at the end of the walk wringing her hands. She wanted to go up and ring the bell, but what if Mrs. Summers was still sleeping? Buffy had already come home late from curfew once on her watch…Willow imagined ringing the bell and Mrs. Summers answering, looking tired and startled. That look in her eye, a disappointment, maybe even sadness, that the girl who was supposed to be a good influence on her daughter could be so thoughtless.

“Willow?” Mrs. Summers asked.

“I didn’t mean to wake you,” Willow said loudly, caught up in her own little scenario.

“Uh, Willow, I wasn’t sleeping. I was out for a run.”

Willow turned and saw Buffy’s mom standing next to her at the edge of the driveway, in all her running finery. She was even wearing one of those bands to keep sweat from going in your eyes.

“Mrs. Summers?”

“Yes, that’s me, Willow. And I’m awake.” She smiled. “Are you here to see Buffy?”

“Uh huh,” Willow said, blushing crimson. “I got here, and there weren’t any lights on, and so I didn’t want to ring the bell,” she trailed off, feeling silly.

“Because you were afraid you’d wake me?” Joyce asked.

Willow shrugged and grinned weakly.

“You’re a very thoughtful girl,” Joyce said kindly. Willow felt a little rush of relief at the woman’s words. “Why don’t you come in? Buffy’s not up yet, but it’s too pretty a day to sleep in anyway.”

“Thanks Mrs. Summers,” Willow replied.

She followed Buffy’s mom up the driveway to the house. When Joyce opened the door, she waved Willow through, locking it behind them.

“Have you had breakfast yet, Willow?” She asked, pulled her sweatband out of her hair. “Would you like something to eat?”

“No, but thanks, Mrs. Summers,” Willow replied. Breakfast was not on the schedule. She had to get Buffy up, and take her to get Xander, so she could go and see her girl.

“Buffy told me you’re all going to the beach today?”

“Yeah,” Willow said happily, telling herself sternly that she must not picture Tara in a string bikini in front of Buffy’s mom. Too late, her traitorous brain chuckled. Willow could feel herself blushing again.

Luckily Buffy’s mom was bending over untying her sneakers. “If you want to go upstairs and try to wake her up, feel free, Willow. I can’t promise there won’t be whining and flailing, but if you’re willing to take the chance you’re welcome to give it a shot.”

“Thanks Mrs. Summers,” Willow squeaked, trying to banish the image of Tara waving to her from the surf, hair shining in the sun, while at the same time she never wanted it to go.

“I’ll get you girls some juice while you’re up there.”

“Kay,” Willow said, dashing up the stairs.

When she got to Buffy’s room she knocked once, softly, calling out the slayer’s name, but she didn’t answer. Willow sighed and opened the door, then immediately dissolved into giggles. Buffy’s room was dark with the curtains drawn, but Willow could still see the slayer was sleeping all tangled in the sheets, hair going every which way, and her rump stuck up in the air.

“Buffy,” Willow chuckled. “Time to wake up.”

“S’no school today,” Buffy moaned, pulling her comforter over her face. “Leave me lone, Mom.”

“Buffy,” Willow repeated, walking into the room and poking at the back of her friend’s leg. “It’s not your Mom, it’s Willow. Come on, time to wakey wakey.”

“Uh, uh,” Buffy said petulantly. “No foolin’ me.”

“Come on, Buffy,” Willow pleaded, pulling at the comforter. Buffy gripped the blanket tightly and try as she might, Willow couldn’t budge it. One hard tug actually made her shoes slide forward on the carpet, she was barely able to keep herself from tumbling onto the bed.

“No luck then?”

Willow spun around, clutching her hands to her chest. “You’re really quiet,” she told Mrs. Summers accusingly.

The older woman just laughed. “It’s something that they teach moms in the parenting guidebook,” she deadpanned. “Maternal ninja skills are a necessity when you have a teenage daughter.” She laughed when Willow just stared at her. “I’m just kidding, Willow.”

“I know that,” Willow said, laughing awkwardly. “Of course,” she murmured thoughtfully, “If there really were a secret society of ninja moms, you would tell people you were just making up stories.”

“You have such an imagination,” Joyce laughed.

“That’s me, all with the imagining,” Willow said, secretly wondering if her mother might be head of a mighty ninja clan. The speculation was dismissed in an instant. Her mom didn’t spend time on anything that didn’t lead to a steady stream of speaking engagements.

“Let me see if I can give you a hand here,” Joyce replied. She walked up to Buffy’s bed and tickled the girl’s feet, moving her hand an instant before the slayer started to kick and flail, using the opening as a chance to tug the comforter off the bed. “Buf-fy,” she drawled in a singsong voice. “Time to wake up. You have company.”

“Mommy,” Buffy whined, “It’s Saturday, why am I being punished?”

“I poured you some orange juice, all cool and frosty in a cup downstairs. I’ll make you some of your favorite cinnamon buns.”

“Not hungry,” Buffy grumped. “Sleepy. Let Buffy sleep.” The slayer pushed her head under her pillows.

Mrs. Summers looked over at Willow with a smile. “It’s time to pull out the big guns,” she said, winking.

Buffy’s mom walked around to the head of the bed and leaned over her daughter. “Aren’t you supposed to go swimsuit shopping today?” She said in a loud whisper.

“I’m up!” Buffy cried, sitting ramrod straight up in bed, pillows flying everywhere. “Don’t shop without me.”

Willow let out a shout of laughter and then clapped her hands over her mouth. When Buffy saw her best friend standing at the end of the bed she wrapped her arms over her head, blushing.

“Mom,” Buffy thundered. “I have total bed head. And no fair—my Mom and my best friend joining forces against me, it’s just not right. ”

“It’s just me,” Willow said, dropping her hands. “It’s not like I haven’t seen sleepover head before.”

Buffy dropped her arms back down and grinned sheepishly. “Yeah, you’re right. I just had this momentary terror that Xander was here too and I just hadn’t spotted him yet.”

“Oh, he’s in the closet,” Joyce said. “Better view.”

Buffy and Willow both stared at her, open-mouthed. “Just kidding girls,” Joyce laughed.

“Mom,” Buffy said, sounding scandalized. “No more joking about boys hiding in my closet. It’s disturbing.”

“I’ll do my best not to traumatize you in the future,” Joyce teased. “Why don’t you come down and have some juice while Buffy gets ready,” she told Willow. “Fresh squeezed.”

“From the juice master,” Buffy scoffed. “Machine squeezed.”

“Buffy says the juicer makes the orange juice taste like technology,” Joyce told Willow, shrugging.

“I like technology,” Willow said. She was so happy that Buffy was up, and eager for the slayer to get ready to go, that she would’ve gone downstairs for a drink even if Mrs. Summers had said it tasted like dirt. Well, maybe not dirt, but something less delicious than technology, certainly.

“Right this way, Miss Rosenberg,” Joyce said, waving her toward the door.

“Why thank you Mrs. Summers,” she replied with a little bow.

“You two are way too cheerful this early in the morning,” Buffy pouted.

“Ignore her, Willow,” Mrs. Summers quipped. “She’s just jealous that we’re morning people.”

Buffy’s mom pulled the door closed, but Willow could still hear her best friend’s muffled “As if.” The slayer came downstairs just as Willow finished her second glass of orange juice. Buffy was wearing a white tank and shorts, and Willow could see the strings of a nut-brown bikini top tied behind her neck. She’d completed the ensemble with a ponytail that swung back and forth behind her head.

“I thought we were going swimsuit shopping,” Willow said, pointing at the slayer’s neck.

“Yeah huh,” Buffy agreed, nodding. “This is just in case I can’t find something I like.”

“Clever,” Willow said.

“I know.” Buffy looked around, her brow furrowed. “I thought my mom made juice?”

“Uh,” Willow began, casting a guilty glance at the two empty glasses sitting in front of her.”

“You drank my juice?” Buffy asked.

“You said you didn’t want it,” Willow said plaintively. “You told your mom that it would taste bad.”

“Buffy, stop teasing Willow,” Joyce said, strolling into the kitchen.

Willow’s mouth dropped as Buffy began to laugh. “Don’t do that Buffy,” Willow sighed. “You had me all freaked.”

“Sorry, Will,” Buffy said, still laughing. “You ready to head out?” Before she could complete her sentence Willow was on her feet, bouncing. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

“Bye girls,” Joyce said, giving them a little wave. “Have fun.”

Buffy and Willow called out their farewells and made their way out of the house, into the cool morning air. As they made their way to Xander’s house, Willow listened to Buffy chat away happily about the different stores they could visit to check for swimsuits on their way to the beach. Getting Xander up and out of bed wasn’t nearly as bad as Buffy. He was downright cheery after he got done complaining about the chest palpitations they’d given him when Buffy pounded on the basement window.

“You know we’re the only people in Sunnydale awake this early on a Saturday morning, right?” Buffy told them “I mean besides parents and old people.”

“Buffy—” Willow began, laughing.

The slayer held up a hand. “I’m fully willing to admit that there are young people who never went to bed, but that doesn’t count.”

“But I saw the flock of bicyclists.”

“Old,” Buffy said dismissively. “Tara and Giles are so going to be sleeping.”

“She’s right Will,” Xander yawned, stretching his arms over his head. “They aren’t gonna be up. And if we wake G-man up he’s gonna be all grumpy. Reserved, British grumpy, but still, all with the grump.”

They turned the corner onto the street that led to Giles’ townhouse, even from that distance Willow could see the terracotta tiled roof burnished in the early morning sunlight. She fought the urge to break out in a Xander snoopy dance. Just a few minutes and she’d see her girl.

“Guys, I have a plan,” Willow chided. They stepped onto the path that led to Giles’ courtyard. “We’ll knock really softly and if nobody answers then I’ll go around and knock on Tara’s window.” They came to a stop in front of Giles’ door.

“Let’s just hope she doesn’t have a preexisting heart condition,” Xander said loftily.

Buffy gave a little snort. “You’re a goof, Harris.”

“I blame exhaustion,” he replied.”

Willow chuckled. “Sure Xander.” She held up a hand to knock, only to have the door open before she could make contact.

“Well you three are up early,” Giles said, looking a bit surprised.

“We were worried you’d still be asleep,” Willow said. “We were gonna knock really quietly.”

“Well it’s a good thing I was already awake, because you certainly weren’t speaking quietly.”

“Oops,” Buffy giggled.

“Yes, well, come on in, you three, before I get complaints from the neighbors,” Giles teased.

The trio walked in and Giles closed the door behind them, locking it. Willow took a step and found herself bumping into Xander’s back as Buffy slammed into her.

“What gives, Will?” Buffy said.

“Ask Xander,” Willow said. The boy was just standing and staring, his head tipped back.

“Is there a reason we’re all standing in my doorway?” Giles asked, sounding less than amused.

“Something smells really good,” Xander said dreamily. He took a few steps forward, still scenting the air.

Willow sniffed and a warm, sweet, rich scent washed over here. “Oh wow, something does smell yummy.”

“Super-yummy,” Buffy agreed.

“Tara’s making breakfast,” Giles said, slipping past them as he wiped his glasses.

Buffy walked over to the sofa and flopped down. “Geeze Giles, indenture servitude much?”

Giles’ eyes widened and he began to sputter. “I assure you, Willow,” he said finally. “I didn’t ask her to. The smell woke me up.”

“Tara likes to cook,” Willow said, smiling. She passed by the watcher and peeked into the kitchen. “Morning, baby,” she said happily.

“Hi Willow,” Tara said, looking over her shoulder with a smile.

“It smells really good in here,” Willow said, stepping into the kitchen.

“My Mom’s s-secret recipe,” she replied.

“Can I help?” Willow asked.

“I could use a plate to put these on,” Tara said.

Willow grabbed a plate and set it on the counter near Tara’s hand, then stretched up to give her a kiss on the cheek. Tara made a happy sound and turned her head, leaning in for a proper kiss. Willow closed her eyes and leaned into the soft, tender heat of Tara’s lips. She felt the girl’s teeth graze her lower lip, followed almost instantly by the gentle brush of her tongue. Willow brought a hand up to Tara’s head, pressing her closer.

“Hi,” Tara panted breathlessly when they pulled apart.

“Hi to you,” Willow said, “It’s nice of you to make breakfast.”

“The breakfast, shoot,” Tara said in a rush, turning back to the stove and flipping her pancakes.

“Sorry,” Willow said, feeling anxious. “Did they burn? I distracted you.”

“They’re fine,” Tara replied, turning back to her with that perfect crooked smile. “I wanted to do something nice for Giles, and for you.”

She kissed the tip of Willow’s nose, her cheek, and then brought their lips together again. After a moment of kisses she gave Willow a quick peck and dipped her spatula into the pan, sliding pancakes onto the waiting plate two at a time.

“Funny shapes!” Willow said excitedly.

“My specialty,” she replied. She poured more batter into the pan, and then slid an arm around Willow’s waist. “Want to see another one of m-my specialties?”

“Ooh yes,” Willow murmured.

“I’ve been sent to see if I should grab plates and stuff for the coffee table,” Buffy said from behind them.

Willow turned and saw the slayer in the doorway, smiling. “Hey Buff.”

“Hey Will, morning Tara.”

“Hi,” the blonde said over her shoulder. She turned back to the stove and began flipping her latest batch of pancakes.

“Xander and Giles didn’t want to interrupt the smooch fest, but I’m hungry,” Buffy teased.

“There’s no smooch fest,” Willow said. She blushed when she heard Tara mutter ‘unfortunately’ under her breath. From Buffy’s grin, Willow knew the slayer had heard her too. Willow grabbed a stack of plates and silverware and thrust them at the slayer. “I’ll bring the butter and syrup.”

Buffy backed out of the room making kissy faces.

“That gives me ideas,” Tara murmured.

Willow turned to see Tara watching her, smiling. The blonde slipped more pancakes onto the plate, dropped the spatula, and pulled Willow into her arms, kissing her deeply.

“Mmm,” she said, pulling back. “That’s the way to start the day.”

“Hooray for smooch fests,” Willow said happily. “Best breakfast ever.”

“Breakfast of ch-champions,” Tara said with a smile.

With a few more minutes of work the batter was gone, and a delicious golden-brown plate of fantastic shapes were arrayed on the plate, ready to be eaten. Some of the shapes Tara had created were so delicate that Willow didn’t know how the batter had stayed together.

“All right,” Tara said, lifting the plate and giving Willow a kiss on the cheek. “Time to eat.”

Willow grabbed the butter and syrup, and they walked out into the living room together, Tara holding the plate of pancakes in front of herself carefully. When they reached the coffee table, Giles, Buffy and Xander began to applaud.

“Ooh,” Buffy said, giggling.

“Ahh,” Xander sighed.

“Really you two,” Giles began, and then his eyes drifted closed. “My, that does smell heavenly.”

Tara sat the platter down and clutched her hands together. Buffy’s eyes went wide and Xander’s mouth dropped open.

“Funny shapes?!” They cried together.

“Told you,” Willow whispered. “Shape-y goodness, very cool.”

“I m-made a few d-different kinds,” Tara told them. She grabbed a fork and slid it beneath a pancake. “Dancers are for you, Buffy,” Tara said, sliding a pancake shaped like a pirouetting ballerina, complete with tutu, onto the slayer’s plate. “And for you, Xander,” she continued, sliding a pancake his way. “Stakes, to thank you for using holy water.” Willow and Buffy burst out laughing while Xander ducked his head, blushing.

“What kind did you make for me?” Willow asked, bouncing.

“Flowers, of course,” Tara replied. “But roses don’t come out so well, so I hope daisies are okay.”

“So cute,” Willow enthused, looking at the golden flower on her plate. She sat down at the coffee table Indian-style and grabbed the syrup.

“I guess that means rectangles for us then,” Giles asked, eyeing various shapes on the plate.

A little blush tinted Tara’s cheeks pink. “They’re n-not rectangles,” she replied.

“Then?” Giles asked, looking confused.

Tara reached out with her fork and flipped one of the pancakes. The batter had been laid so that a thin line ran along the left side of each rectangle, a slender seam.

“A binding line?” Giles asked. Tara nodded and the watcher’s face brightened as he smiled. “You made us books?”

Tara nodded and slid the pancake onto Giles’ plate. He took a bite and waved his fork. “Delightful and delicious. They’re wonderful, Tara.”

Buffy, Xander, and Willow mumbled their agreement around mouthfuls of pancake.

“Eat, baby,” Willow said, swallowing.

Tara settled down and moved a few book-cakes onto her plate. Less than twenty minutes later everyone was sitting around the coffee table, completely sated. In the case of Buffy and Xander, a little over-sated.

“Absolutely magnificent, Tara,” Giles said, brushing the corner of his mouth with a napkin. “I don’t think I’ve ever had pancakes I enjoyed so much.”

“T-Thanks,” she said, blushing again.

“Ooh,” Buffy groaned. “So yummy, but so filling.” She reached down and rubbed her stomach. “I think all my pancake dancers expanded into pancake sumo wrestlers in my belly.”

“Well, you did eat enough for a pancake Swan Lake,” Willow laughed.

“Ugh,” Xander said. He was so full he’d actually had to unbutton his pants, which set the girls giggling. “I’m gonna explode. At least you’ll burn ‘em off quick, Buff. I’m gonna feel this way four times longer than you.”

“Did you g-get enough to eat, Willow?” Tara asked.

Willow nodded, chewing a mouthful of scrumptiousness while she cut into her third daisy pancake.

“They’re so good I want to eat a million,” Willow said after she swallowed. “But I think this third one might be my limit.”

“I’ll make them for you whenever you want,” Tara replied, leaning into Willow playfully. “I could even do chocolate chip.”

Willow’s eyes went wide. “That would be awesome,” she sighed, taking another bite.

“Don’t talk about food,” Buffy and Xander whined simultaneously.

Willow and Tara burst into laughter. Willow could see Buffy and Xander fighting it, but then they gave in and started laughing too. Even Giles grinned broadly at them, cleaning his glasses with a handkerchief.

“So,” Willow said teasingly as she finished her last piece of daisy-cake, watching Buffy and Xander droop over the table, dozy with food. “I guess you guys are too full for the beach huh?”

Xander sat up straight and shook his head. “Nuh uh, beach, cold weather, sunbathing beauties. I’m not gonna miss out on that.”

“Xander enjoys cold and shiver girls,” Willow told Tara. She giggled when the blonde’s eyebrows shot up.

“Willow,” Xander hissed. “Ixnay on the iveryshay.”

“Whatever others’ motivations might be, mine are pure,” Buffy said archly, straightened up and glaring. “We are so going to the beach.”

“You just want to go shopping,” Willow laughed.

“And?” Buffy asked. ‘There’s nothing impure about that!”

“Are you going to c-come with us Mr. Giles?” Tara asked softly.

Willow turned to look at the watcher, and saw Buffy and Xander perk up too. Giles stared at them all for a moment with a little smile on his face, and then shook his head ruefully.

“Far be it from me to intrude on your frivolity,” he told them, pushing up from the sofa and collecting the plates and silverware scattered on the table. “No, I’ll leave the pleasures of sun and sand and sea to the young. It’s a warm house and a good book and a full pot of tea for me.”

“Your loss,” Buffy quipped.

Willow followed the watcher into the kitchen, carrying the butter and syrup that she’d brought out earlier.

“You’re sure you don’t want to come along, Giles?” She asked. “You can read at the beach, we won’t make fun. I can even rent you an umbrella, keep you all shady.”

Giles just shook his head. “While I do appreciate it, Willow,” he replied, placing the dishes in one side of his double sink and running hot water into the other. “I think a nice day of peace and quiet contemplation is just what the holiday ordered.”

“As long as you know you’re welcome to come.”

“I do, Willow, thank you.” Giles squeezed soap into the stream of hot water and a froth of white bubbles began to rise. There was something in his expression, a stillness that Willow couldn’t put her finger on. She hoped the watcher wasn’t too disappointed to be staying home alone.

“Well, I guess we’ll see you later then,” Willow said, turning toward the kitchen entryway. Giles made a small noise of agreement that stopped Willow in her tracks. The watcher sounded relaxed, happy. A slow grin spread across her face. “Have an awesome day, Giles. And tell Ms. Calendar I said hi.”

“Thank you, Willow. And I’ll be sure to tell Jenny—” Giles broke off, clearing his throat. “Tricky girl,” he chuckled.

“That’s me,” Willow laughed, walking back toward her friends. Tricky Willow, she thought. Angel would be so proud.

Willow, Tara and Buffy walked out of the changing stalls, and found Xander sitting in a chair, slouching and covered in bags, last in a long line of disgruntled husbands, fathers and boyfriends. The boy was glowering and tapping his foot, craning his head every few seconds to look at the clock on the wall. Willow elbowed Buffy and nodded toward him. The slayer took one look at Xander and burst into giggles.

“Huh?” Tara asked.

“Look at Xander,” Willow chuckled.

“Poor guy,” she replied, obviously trying not to laugh. “I’m surprised he can breath under all those bags.”

“There aren’t that many,” Buffy protested softly. When Willow and Tara threw her a look she grinned and shrugged. “It’s not my fault that last store was having a sale. And they’re not all mine,” she reminded them.

“Buffy!” Willow and Tara squealed simultaneously.

Willow looked over at Tara, surprised at her girlfriend’s reaction. The blonde was blushing furiously, cheeks burning as bright as Willow knew her own must be. It couldn’t just be because of her swimsuit. At their second stop Tara had found an adorable bikini/surf short combo, the suit sky blue and shorts in white with matching blue tropical flowers. Willow had never been as grateful to Buffy as she was in the moment when she’d persuaded Tara that the suit was perfect. The slayer had even found a matching set in a deep evergreen for Willow.

But Willow was embarrassed, blushing, because while Tara was trying on suit after suit at the first shop where they stopped, Willow had gone shopping for an outfit for their date, enlisting Buffy’s help after she swore her to secrecy. After two pre-date dates scavenging through clothes her mom had picked for something that wasn’t humiliatingly dorky, Willow was determined to have something nice for her first official date, something special, for Tara. Maybe her girl had had the same idea?

“Did you buy something secret?” Willow asked.

Tara’s mouth dropped open. “I-I, uh—” the girl stammered, her blush darkening.

Suddenly Buffy was standing between them, putting an arm around each of their shoulders. “Now, it seems to me that this conversation is making you both very nervous,” she said, voice dripping with false solemnity. “I vote that we pretend this little moment never happened and go put Harris out of his misery. The beach calls.”

“Th-thanks, Buffy,” Tara murmured.

“Yeah, what were we talking about, anyway?” Willow said, grinning.

“Exactly,” Buffy said nodding. “Let’s go get Xander. I need some sun.” Without another word, the little blonde turned and started walking toward Xander.

“Is it me or did Buffy just get us to thank her for stopping trouble that she started herself?” Willow asked. She looped an arm through Tara’s as they followed the slayer toward their fidgeting friend.

“She did,” Tara giggled. “Very sneaky. Buffy’s a lot smarter than she gives herself credit for.”

“I tell her that all the time, she never believes me,” Willow said, grinning and shaking her head.

“Tell me what?” Buffy asked, looking over her shoulder.

“Nothing,” Willow and Tara replied.

Buffy opened her mouth to speak and then closed it again, a small smile curving her lips. “I guess turn about is fair play.” She shrugged and turned back to Xander, reaching out to tap his foot with her shoe.

At the light touch he sat up convulsively, bags sliding all over the place. “Thank god,” Xander groaned, pulling all the bags back together and climbing to his feet. “I thought I was going to die of literal boredom. It’s a terrible way to go.”

“Poor Xander,” Willow said, taking a few bags.

“W-What are we going to do with all these bags?” Tara asked as the left the shop. Each of the girls was carrying a few, and Xander was still pretty loaded down on either arm.

“We’re gonna drop them off at my house on the way,” Buffy said. “Then we can change and stuff too.”

“Your house isn’t on the way,” Willow replied, flashing Buffy a little smile.

“Yeah,” Xander agreed, “It’s the opposite of the way.”

“Ah,” Buffy replied sagely, holding up a finger. “But it is the way to my Mom, and her jeep. She’ll give us a ride to the beach.”

“Are you sure she’ll want to?” Xander asked. Willow giggled, but he ignored her. The boy was clearly very worried about missing out on his shivery girl time.

“If she attempts to refuse, then she will face the pout,” Buffy declared ominously.

Thirty minutes later Mrs. Summers dropped the happy group off at the beach, no pouting required, although Buffy had been given quite a bit of teasing over the pile of bags they came back with. Willow was gratefully that Buffy didn’t mention some of the non-swimsuit items weren’t hers, and she could tell Tara was relieved too. The redhead was practically quivering with curiosity, but she didn’t snoop, she didn’t want to spoil whatever surprise her girlfriend might have in store.

“You guys just call me when you’re ready to head out,” Mrs. Summers said. Buffy leaned forward through the open car window to give her mom a kiss on the cheek. “Behave yourselves.”

“Don’t we always?” Buffy asked.

Mrs. Summers let out a little chuckle. “Willow, you’ll make sure everyone behaves, right?”

Willow nodded, laughing as she saw Buffy pout. “I will do my best.”

“It was a pleasure meeting you, Tara,” Mrs. Summers said, giving the blonde a little wave.

“You t-too, M-Mrs. Summers,” she replied, ducking her head.

Buffy’s mom drove off with a wave and the group turned as one toward the ocean. The day was a little cool, but still so warm for November that Willow could almost pretend it was the end of summer. The sky was blue, filled with big, puffy white clouds, and the roar of the waves was loud, peppered with the high cry of birds and laughter of the people scattered around on the beach. She took a deep breath, reveling in the brine-sweet smell of the sea air. Tara’s warm arm slipped around her waist and Willow smiled.

“Let the beaching commence!” She cried happily.

“Beaching,” Tara murmured. “Like we’re whales?”

Willow blushed as Buffy made a little noise of outrage. “I'm so not a whale,” the slayer huffed.

“I meant like with the going to the beach, and the having of much fun sunbathing and running around and splashing and munching on snacks,” Willow babbled, pointing at the cooler Xander carried slung over one arm.

“She’s so easy,” Buffy laughed to Tara, fake pout transforming into a broad grin.

“I love it when she b-babbles,” Tara replied, giving Willow a little squeeze.

“You two!” Willow giggled, and then she pointed at Xander again. “And you,” she laughed.

“Me?” Xander cried, eyes bugging. “What did I do? I’m just standing here?”

“Exactly,” Willow replied. “You didn’t save me.”

Xander’s mouth dropped open, and then he closed it, but then it fell open again. “Wha?” He sputtered.

“You look like a fish, Harris,” Buffy laughed, opening and closing her mouth.

“We better get him down to the water then, before he dries out,” Willow replied, chuckling.

“You two,” Tara said, echoing Willow, but she was smiling, clearly trying not to laugh.

“Oh sure,” Xander sulked, “Everybody pick on the pack mule.”

“Finally admitting that you’re an ass, Harris?” Cordelia Chase’s strident voice rang out, ending the laughter of the four friends like a switch being thrown, and giving Willow a nasty chill.

The brunette strolled up to them, strutting in a bright red bikini with a matching black and red sarong tied around her waist. She pushed her sunglasses down her nose to stare at them all, smirking. Within seconds she was surrounded by her usual gaggle of vapid girls, Harmony Kendall first at her heels as usual. Cordelia’s gaze flickered to Tara and her eyes widened.

“Who’s this?” Cordelia asked, a wide smile spreading across her face. “You’re cute, and you dress well,” she admitted grudgingly. “Why are you hanging out with the freaky geek squad?” Then she noticed Willow’s arm gripping the blonde’s waist.

“Is that it?” She asked incredulously. “Rosenberg have you gotten even weirder? Are you two girlfriends?” Her voice was high, shrieking, the Coredettes all began giggling away.

Yes, Willow thought. Her body was trembling so hard, she was so angry, that she imagined for a moment what it would be like to reach out and slap Cordelia Chase right across the face. She’s my girlfriend. Willow opened her mouth to say the words, and then closed it again. Her parents. She had to tell her parents first. Willow gave Tara’s waist a little squeeze, and then slipped her hand out from around the blonde, using it to wave toward Cordelia.

“Tara, this is Cordelia. Xander and I have a long-standing branch of the ‘I Hate Cordelia Club’ organization. I’m the president, and Xander’s the treasure. And I’m happy to report that Buffy’s recently been elected secretary.”

“I take minutes of all us saying how much we hate Cordelia,” Buffy drawled. “Sometimes my wrist gets sore from all the writing, but I’m willing to live with the pain.”

“But now I think she’s just lonely and wishes she could hang out with some people who actually have a measurable IQ. It’s sad really.” Willow finished, glaring at the taller girl.

Cordelia’s mouth was hanging open. She stared at the quartet for a moment and then blinked, shook her head. “I—” she began, faltered. “You—whatever!” She said, and stormed away, the Cordettes following after her in a row, like ducklings.

“W-wow,” Tara murmured. “And I thought the vampires in this town were scary.”

Buffy and Xander watched the retreating cheerleaders with identical gleeful grins. Willow slipped her arm back around Tara’s waist, giving her girlfriend a small smile. A gust of wind rolled over the beach, setting folks running and squealing in every direction, kites began to dot the blue sky. Xander watched a group of young women run by, laughing. Buffy grabbed his arm and gave it a little tug.

“Come on Harris, let’s get the food and blankets set up before all the good spots are taken.”

“Uh huh,” Xander said numbly.

When Buffy and Xander were out of earshot, Willow turned to Tara and took the girl’s hands in her own.

“I’m so sorry, baby,” she whispered. Willow felt her lip quiver, and hoped she wouldn’t start to cry.

Tara’s eyes went wide. “What? What are you sorry for, Will?”

“I should’ve told Cordelia that you’re my girlfriend.” She looked down at the sand, tears blurring the sand beneath her feet. “I’m so proud that you’re my girlfriend, I don’t want you to think that I’m not. I just haven’t told my parents yet and Cordelia has such a big mouth. Buffy calls her the wicked mouth of the west. And I don’t want them to find out like that—”

“Will,” Tara began.

“I understand if you’re mad,” Willow murmured miserably. She stopped when she felt a gentle hand pushing her chin up.

“I’m not mad, Willow,” Tara was smiling at her, really smiling, blue eyes bright and shining. “I love that you’re worried about me, it’s very sweet. But I understand, you have to come out in your own time.” She paused, brushing a lock of hair off of Willow’s cheek. “The only person I ever told was my M-Mom, before I met you.”

“Really?” Willow asked as a tear slipped down her cheek. “And you’re not mad?”

“I’m not mad,” Tara replied, reaching up to wipe the tear away. “And later on I’ll kiss you and prove it.”

Willow grinned broadly. “Promise?”

“How can I resist my rosy girl?” She kept hold of Willow’s hand and leaned toward the water. “Come on, we’re supposed to be having fun, remember?”

Willow nodded, laughed, and let her soul mate lead her toward the sea.

The next few hours passed in a blur of bright happiness. After helping Xander sculpt a mermaid on the line where sand and sea overlapped, leaving the dirt wet and compact and perfect for sculpting, they decided to go for a walk. When Buffy and Xander turned back so the slayer could sunbathe, Willow and Tara braved the water and found it perfect, sun-warmed as just-cooled bathwater. They floated together watching the sky and sneaking kisses as waves rocked them slowly up and down.

“I love you,” Willow said, cradled in Tara’s arms. “You make me so happy.”

Tara pressed her lips to Willow’s hair. “And I love you. I didn’t know,” she paused, a little hitch in her voice. “I didn’t know I could ever be this happy.”

Willow leaned back against Tara so that she could look up into the girl’s blue eyes, an echo of the sky above their heads. “I’ll try to make each day a little happier than the last.” Tara gave a little laugh and Willow raised an eyebrow at her. “What, you don’t think I can?”

“No silly girl,” Tara replied, shaking her head. “You already do.”

They spent a little while longer basking in the water, enjoying the sun, but then Willow’s stomach began to growl and Tara insisted they head back to the beach for lunch. Buffy and Xander took a break from sunbathing and girl-watching, respectively, happy to partake of the sodas, chips, and sandwiches Mrs. Summers had packed for them. Soon enough the cooler was empty accept for frigid water and a few chunks of ice.

“Your mom is the best,” Xander sighed, lying back and rubbing his stomach.

“You’re just saying that because she remembered you like pickles on your ham sandwiches.” Buffy laughed, and then gave a little shudder. “Bread-n-butter pickles, by the way? Completely wrong and gross, Xander.”

“Says the girl who likes to eat her chocolate pudding with mozzarella cheese sticks,” he replied airily, closing his eyes.

“You eat that too, Xander,” Willow giggled.

“Yeah!” Buffy exclaimed. “That makes you double wrong and gross.”

“Before this culinary debate becomes t-too epic,” Tara giggled, “How about we make a truce?” She dug into the bag that held the towels. “Frisbee, anyone?” She asked, holding up a purple disk.

“Ooh, Frisbee!” Willow exclaimed happily. “I’m on your team,” she told Tara. “And you two are on a team. It will help you learn to accept Xander’s love of hideously sweet pickles.”

Buffy and Xander pretended to grumble for a moment, but the Buffy snagged the Frisbee out of Tara’s hand and they ran off, laughing.

“Let’s get ‘em,” Willow told Tara, holding out her hand.

The Frisbee game was fast and furious. Willow darted around like a little hummingbird, catching the toy whenever it came near her, then passing it to Tara. They’d realized pretty quickly that Tara had a mean arm. With the slightest shift of her wrist she could send the Frisbee arcing and curving in the most amazing patterns, but somehow they still seemed to glide back to Buffy or Xander in time to be caught.

They lost the sun after a little while, the white clouds darkening to a pale gray, spreading to blot out the blue of the sky. There was no thunder, and no lightning, but the crowd on the beach still thinned out in the absence of sunshine. Xander made a spectacular catch, diving into the sand to grab the disk, curving in the air to land on his back. He held up the Frisbee in victory, and as if it were a sign, the heavens opened.

People shouted and groaned as the rain began to fall, groups all over the beach gathered up towels, radios, coolers, and toys, making a run for their cars. Buffy and Willow ran toward a stand of umbrellas with a little shriek, followed closely by a very sandy Xander.

“Rain, rain go away,” Buffy grumbled, arms crossed tight over her chest.

Willow gave the slayer a smile and was about to finish the rhyme when Xander nudged her.

“Hey Will,” he asked softly. “What’s Tara doing?”

She looked around and realized that her girlfriend hadn’t joined them under the shelter of the umbrella. Willow looked back toward the water. Tara was still sitting calmly on her towel, chin propped on the knees she’d drawn up to her chest. As she watched, Tara smiled and stuck out her tongue, catching raindrops. Willow stepped out from under the umbrella and walked off toward her girl.

“What’s all that about?” Xander asked.

Buffy shrugged. “Rain madness?” She bristled when Xander gave her a funny look. “Hey, you asked me and how am I supposed to know? Ask random questions, expect random answers.”

In a matter of moments, Willow was back by Tara’s side, crouching down next to the girl. “Are you okay?” She asked softly.

She was surprised when Tara turned toward her with a happy smile. “It’s beautiful isn’t it?”

“It’s raining,” Willow replied.

“Exactly,” Tara said, nodding. She patted the blanket next to her and Willow took a seat, leaning her head on Tara’s shoulder. “Mom and I love, loved, rainy d-days. Look,” she said, gesturing out toward the ocean. “Look at the rain as it meets the water, as it pebbles on the land.”

As reluctant as she was to take her eyes off her gorgeous, rain-soaked girlfriend, Willow raised her head. She watched for a moment and then nodded her head, fascinated by the misty line where the sky touched the sea. It was impossible to tell where one began and the other ended. “It’s like they’re reaching for each other,” she said, giving a little shiver as a new burst of rain tapped her head, brushed her skin.

“That’s exactly it,” Tara agreed. “This is the earth, reaching for the sky, the sky reaching for the earth, the air their willing messenger.” She paused. “Mama Papa and Father Rangi,” she murmured.

“Huh?” Willow asked.

“It’s a myth my mother told to me,” Tara explained. “From the Maori people of New Zealand. They believed that the earth, Mama Papa, and the sky, Father Rangi, were so in love that they held each other day and night, forever. But then their children needed room to grow, and so they had to be apart. The Maori believed that Rangi cried out in grief at their separation and those tears became the rain. And at the same time Mama Papa cried out and her tears became the mists, rising up from the land to meet the rain.”

“Wow,” Willow sighed. “It’s kind of sad that they have to be separate.

“A little,” Tara agreed. “But they could always see each other, and each drop of rain, each bead of mist, was a kiss, a declaration of their undying love.”

“Wow,” Willow repeated.

Tara gave a little giggle, nodding her head and taking Willow’s hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. “M-Mom always took me outside to play when it rained, she said it was just sharing the love.” She smiled, but there was a sadness to it. “I promised my mom I would never stop playing in the rain. So as long as there’s no thunder and lightning I’ll sit and watch, or go for a walk. Sometimes,” she began, and then paused, blushing.

“Sometimes what?”

“Sometimes I even dance in the rain,” she murmured. “It reminds me.”

“Reminds you of what?” Willow asked.

Tara kissed Willow on the cheek. “It reminds me that we can find a kind of perfection, even in imperfect things. Like the sky meeting the earth on a rainy day at the beach.”

Willow’s heart swelled. Tara was so wonderful, so sweet, and now she had to wise to the list as well. I love you, Willow thought happily. How I love you. “Dance with me?” She asked.

“What?” Tara replied.

Willow stood up and held out a hand. “Dance in the rain with me, Tara Maclay.”

Tara took Willow’s hand stood slowly, never taking her eyes off of the redhead. Willow blushed at the intensity of Tara’s stare, the way the girl’s mouth was parted, breath coming faster. She slid an arm over Willow’s shoulder, one around her waist, and then pressed her cheek to Willow’s cheek. Willow began a slow, waltzing step, delighted to find that Tara moved in synch with her perfectly. There was none of the awkwardness that had plagued her last dancing experiences at her bat mitzvah. After a few spins the rain got fatter and faster, but it was still warm. Tara began to giggle.

“Tickly raindrops?” Willow asked, murmuring into the girl’s ear.”

“Nuh uh,” Tara replied. “Buffy and Xander. They look like sad puppies that got caught out in the rain.”

Willow turned them a little faster and chuckled when she saw Buffy and Xander, still standing under the umbrella, clutching their things and looking hot and mope-y.

“You are in swimsuits you know,” she called, laughing aloud now. “It’s not like a little rain is going to hurt you.”

Buffy and Xander looked at each other with twin expressions of surprise and dropped all the stuff they were holding, darting back out from under the umbrella and renewing their Frisbee game. Willow and Tara continued their dance. After a little while they began to relax into one another. Willow gave a happy sigh as their bare stomachs touched, she slid her hands up and down Tara’s bare back, lightly brushing the string that held the blonde’s bikini in place. I shouldn’t think of how easy that would be to untie, Willow thought, pulling Tara even closer. So warm, so yummy.

Xander and Buffy’s Frisbee game got bigger and wilder, Buffy using her slayer strength to send Xander running up and down the beach after the whirling projectile. Willow and Tara’s dancing slowed until they were just standing on the sand, holding each other. Willow turned in Tara’s arms, leaning back against her with the blonde’s arms crossed over her chest, head propped on Willow’s shoulder. They cuddled, watching the rain kiss the ocean.

“So,” Tara murmured into Willow’s hair. “Good day?”

“Amazing day,” Willow replied, digging her toes into the sand. She could feel Tara’s heart beating, strong and slow. “Perfectly imperfect.”

“I’m glad we got to share a rainy day.”

“Me too.” Willow turned her head and kissed the nearest bit of skin she could reach, the underside of Tara’s jaw. She was delighted when the girl gave a little shiver. “I want to share all the rainy days,” she said softly, hoping that Tara would hear the weight behind those words.

Willow could picture it so clearly. They would wait for some Halloween, the anniversary of the day they’d met, and there would be polished beech wood chairs, honey-gold like Tara’s hair, all decorated with clusters of blush roses tied with sky blue ribbon. And Tara would walk down an aisle made of blue silk, weighed down by stones smoothed by the sea, the woman a beautiful a vision all in white. And they would be handfasted, there by the ocean, each of their friends tying a silken ribbon around their hands in a rainbow of colors. And after they were married, and the sky gave way to rain, they would dance, just as they had when they were mere girls, dance and laugh and love.

I want to marry this girl, Willow thought happily.

And then she was there. She was dancing and laughing as the rain misted on her face, an ivory dress hugging her curves. Tara was laughing too, cheeks flushed with joy, hair swept up in a beautiful twist that left tendrils drifting past her cheeks. The agate pendant she’d worn on their pre-date date, years before, was a perfect accent to her gown. They gave a little spin and Willow saw their friends—their true family—all around them.

Buffy was waving, crying, an absolute vision in a blue bridesmaid dress, just a few shades darker than the silken wedding aisle. Next to her, another woman dressed in bridesmaid blue, a taller, younger woman with dark, wavy hair who seemed familiar somehow. Xander was watching too, a little heavier, hair shorter, beaming in a tux. His arm was around a slim, smiling woman with sandy hair. Giles was there too, older, grayer, but still his tweedy self. Jenny was on his arm.

Willow was surprised to see Angel moving through the crowd like a ghost, apparently unseen by any of the other guests as he sidled up behind Giles and Jenny. She was concerned about his safety should the rain end, the skies clear, but Angel was smiling, utterly unconcerned, so Willow just grinned at him. Suddenly the vampire took Jenny’s hand and whirled her around on the little raised platform that served as their dance floor, moving in an elegant waltz. On one turn Willow was shocked to see his face change, going ridged, fanged, yellow-eyed. But on their next pass he was normal, smiling Angel again. Willow felt her racing heart slow.

She heard Tara say her name softly and she brought her gaze back to her wife. My wife, Willow thought, filled with more happiness than she would’ve believed her frame could hold. Forever and always. She brought a hand up to Tara’s cheek and the blonde leaned in for a kiss.

“Willow?”

Willow blinked once, slowly, and felt the slight tilt of vertigo. She reached out and steadied herself by gripping Tara’s arms more tightly. She was surprised to feel warm, damp skin instead of soft silk, and looked back to see her girlfriend, in her adorable swim suit. So real, Willow thought, feeling a bit dazed. It was so real.

“Are you okay?” Tara asked, turning Willow to face her.

Willow just nodded, even though she really wasn’t sure.

“Did you doze off?” Tara asked, a little smile curving the corner of her mouth. “Too much toasty cuddling in the rain?”

“I wasn’t sleeping,” Willow said, feeling a blush creep up her cheeks. “I was thinking…imagining, I guess.”

“Happy imagining?”

“Very happy,” Willow said, thinking of the beauty of the wedding she’d daydreamed. But then the memory of Angel’s eerie behavior flared in her mind. “And a little weird at the end there.”

“Do you want to tell me about it?” There was a hint of laughter in Tara’s voice.

“I do,” Willow said, ducking her head as she blushed. “But it’s a little…” she trailed off.

“Embarrassing?” Tara asked.

“I guess that depends,” Willow said, looking up into those bright blue eyes that made her heart sing. “On whether you want to get married someday.”

Those blue eyes went wide. Tara’s mouth opened, closed, opened again. “A-are y-you asking me to m-marry you?”

“No!” Willow exclaimed. “I mean, yes, I mean, someday…someday you want to be more than just girlfriends, right?”

Tara smiled and tilted her head. “I shouldn’t tease you when you’re being so serious, huh?”

“Wha?!” Willow exclaimed, “You were joking?” She reached down and began to tickle the blonde mercilessly.

After a few minutes of squirming and laughing Tara raised her hands. “I give, sorry, I r-really wasn’t trying to make fun.” She bit her lip and gave Willow a shy glance. “Did you really imagine what it would be like, to be m-married?”

Willow smiled at Tara, nodded.

“How was it?” Tara asked.

“Wonderful,” Willow said simply. “Everything was so beautiful. You were so beautiful.”

Tara pulled Willow closer, whispering in her ear. “Will you tell me all about it? Where did we have the ceremony?”

“Here,” Willow murmured, lying her head on Tara’s shoulder. “There were chairs set up in the sand, and an aisle made of blue silk. And you were all in white, and I wore ivory. We had a handfasting.”

“That would be wonderful,” Tara replied, kissing the top of Willow’s head. “It doesn’t sound strange. It sounds amazing.”

“It was,” Willow agreed. “At least, I imagined it would be. But then,” she began, paused.

“Then what?”

“It was like I wasn’t imagining anymore. I was really there, at our wedding, and we were dancing while everyone watched. It was raining,” she added with a chuckle. “And we laughed and laughed.”

“Still doesn’t sound strange,” Tara said. “It sounds perfect.”

Willow nodded. “But Angel was there, in daylight. At first he was just wandering around, but then he grabbed Ms. Calendar and started dancing with her. I thought he vamped out, but when I looked again he was back to normal.”

“Okay,” Tara agreed. “That is more than a little weird.”

“And it was just so real,” Willow said, voice soft but insistent. “People were laughing and clapping, I could feel the fabric of your dress beneath my fingers, I could even smell your perfume.”

Tara leaned back and looked Willow in the eye. “Have you ever known something before it would happen? Or dreamed something that came true?”

“Huh?” Willow was shaken by the solemn look on Tara’s face. “Like precognition? Psychics?”

“Like seers,” Tara replied.

“So it’s a real, witchy thing?” Willow babbled. “You think that I saw something that’s really going to happen?”

Tara gave a little shrug. “I d-don’t know, Will. My g-grandmother, my mom’s mom, had a few visions, but my mom said visions are usually a bit messy…things get j-jumbled up from different places and times that will be important to the one having the vision.”

Willow didn’t know which she felt more keenly, relief that her odd vision of Angel might be an overactive imagination, or regret that if Tara was right, her vision of the wedding wasn’t likely to play out as she’d seen it.

She gave a little sigh. “So we won’t get our ocean wedding?”

“I didn’t say that,” Tara replied, giving Willow a gentle squeeze. “It might be a different place, or a different time, we might wear different clothes, people might come or go.” She paused. When Tara spoke again, it was in a shaky whisper. “But I do want to marry you.”

“Are you proposing?” Willow teased.

Before Tara could answer, there was the soft sound of a throat clearing. Willow and Tara turned and found Buffy watching them, looking more than a bit embarrassed.

“Hey guys,” the slayer said, wringing her hands. “I’m really sorry to interrupt, but the food’s all gone and Xander says he has wet sand trapped in places he cannot speak of.” Buffy shuddered slightly. “Is it okay if I call my mom to come and get us?”

Willow looked at Tara and the girl nodded, smiling. “Sure Buff.”

“And we’re still on for the Bronze tonight, right?” Buffy asked, bouncing up and down a bit. “It’s going to be amazing. Please say you’re still going to go. You have to go!”

“We’re g-going, promise,” Tara agreed.

“Excellent!” Buffy cried, running back toward a sulky Xander.

“She seems awfully excited about the B-Bronze,” Tara murmured.

“Buffy does enjoy a good partying now and then,” Willow said, chuckling. She looked back over the water, where the rain and the sea still blended like a watercolor painting. “I hope you had a good time today.”

“I did,” Tara said, nodding. She kissed Willow’s cheek and then squeezed her hand, leading them toward Buffy and Xander. After a few steps Tara turned back to her, smiling. “I want to share all my rainy days with you too, Will. Rainy days, sunny days, even snowy days.” Her mouth slipped into the perfect crooked grin. “Those might be pretty few and far between, though.”

Willow felt like she was floating on air as her girlfriend led her across the rain-dampened sand.

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs!!!

Great update. The conversations were so funny. Loved the different pancakes and the gang talking about Cordelia as if she weren't there. :rofl

Dancing in the rain was sweet.

I enjoyed the wedding dream, but I'm worried about Angelus dancing with Miss Calander. That's the problem with prophecy: It only makes sense after it happens. And on that note, why is Willow having prophecy dreams/visions to begin with?

Your two fics are so different. From angst and drama in Wish of Three Heart to comedy and romance in Wave. Nothing like an emotional roller coaster before going to bed.

Update soon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:54 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wow, this was such a beautiful chapter.

I have to say our girls have spent some very beautiful and memorable times together!

I just loved the whole chapter but specially the bit about their handfasting, that was great!

:kitty

Hector Avellan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:29 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
Sigh. Third dibs. Better than I've done before!

Heh, Willow-dream-talk. Awesome.

Quote:
hiding her swimsuit beneath a grass green t-shirt and a pair of denim shorts.

Hot ♫

Quote:
“Maternal ninja skills are a necessity when you have a teenage daughter.”

Hehe. I can only imagine.

Quote:
Reserved, British grumpy, but still, all with the grump.”

Very Xander. Very fun.

Quote:
“Ooh,” Buffy groaned. “So yummy, but so filling.” She reached down and rubbed her stomach. “I think all my pancake dancers expanded into pancake sumo wrestlers in my belly.”

And again, so Buffy. You really have the character dialogue down!

Quote:
“Willow,” Xander hissed. “Ixnay on the iveryshay.”

Just had to throw out some appreciation for the pig latin. A language totally under-utilised.

Quote:
Willow leaned back against Tara so that she could look up into the girl’s blue eyes, an echo of the sky above their heads. “I’ll try to make each day a little happier than the last.” Tara gave a little laugh and Willow raised an eyebrow at her. “What, you don’t think I can?”

Awwwwwwwwwww!

Willow's wedding daydream (vison!) was sooo adorable (and the whole thing with Angel/Jenny vampy/no-vampy is very, very interesting)

Great, great chapter. Just wonderful.

I really can't wait for more!

:peace

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:57 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I really loved Willow's wedding vision... The Angelus/Jenny part was a bit disturbing... I really loved those funny shaped pancakes Tara made. Each Scooby got a pancake that suited their personality...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 am 

lol I don't feel bad missing dibs since I've already read this one! They're all so cute! I loved them at the beach :) Can't wait to see what they get up to next!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:51 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

What a lovely update. Willow is just adorable. She's so in love and and so bold about it. I mean she's not all nervous and spazzy and weird about it. She's just totally absorbed by it. Her vision at the end was quite something. Scary indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:16 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
I liked the update quite a bit. From the Ninja Mom's to the "I Hate Cordelia" put down, and even Willow's desire to smack the crap out of her.

The wedding vision makes me wonder if you if you plan to "go canon" I guess, and have Angel default to Angelus and kill Jenny. I'm also making the leap that the taller, dark haired young woman is Dawn? Noticed also Joyce wasn't included in the vision. Maybe really a bit of precognition from Willow but this is also making the assumption there is no Warren or if there is it turns out differently.

Decisions, decisions..... :eyebrow

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:41 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Loved the update. Especially the part of trying to wake up Buffy; made me giggle a little bit. Glad to see that they had a stress free day at the beach. Wondering if Willow will tell Buffy about her little vision and what she saw Angel do.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:15 pm 

BuffyFan4ever--Check you out with the dibs on both fics! :D I'm glad you liked the chapter, and that you thought it was funny! YAY! I'm glad you liked the wedding dream. Since Willow and Tara have met so early, and Tara is helping Willow follow the path of light, I imagine that her abilities are going to evolve in a different way.

As for my two fics, yes, my two babies are very, very different. Thank god Wave has some laughs, because sometimes the things I have to write for Wish make me want to crawl in a corner and cry. I feel every bit of the angst, and I know how it ends!!

ceridwen--Thanks for the kind praise, I hope you enjoy this one too! Yeah, they're destined to be together. Young love, eternal love! :D

Laragh--Third dibs rock, they might be my favorite kind of dibs...LOL...thanks so much for the detailed feedback, I'm really glad you enjoyed the chapter! You quoted my favorite line from the chapter, guess which one (it doesn't involve pig latin or sumo...). Thanks for reading, lady!

Zampsa1975--I'm glad you liked the chapter, and the pancakes! :D

leonhart17--Mags, thanks for reading! I hope you keep enjoying their...escapades... *wink*

JustSkipIt--Thanks so much *girlish fangirl giggle* I'm glad you like how Willow's confidence has evolved upon meeting her soul mate. :)

vampyregurl73--I'm glad you enjoyed! As for your guesses, some of them are righty-right! Time will tell!

love_2003--Hope you enjoy this one too!

Update to follow below:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:30 pm 

• Title - Wave
• Rating - R...Maybe NC-17 by the end?
• Disclaimer - This is a romantic and light-angst AU piece with plenty of adventure. Don't sue me, I'm not stealing anything, just borrowing!
• Summary- Wave is a season 2 AU. On Halloween, Willow meets a strange and beautiful blond girl, and becomes determined to find her. When they connect, Willow's life will be changed forever...
• Notes-Thanks to everyone who will read. Some of the dialogue in this chapter may come from BtVS episodes, including the S1/S2 opening voice over..Hope you enjoy.
• Special Note--Laragh, thanks for beta-ing the end of this chapter!

Chapter Eleven: Bravery

“Boogie fever!” Xander sang, his voice a shrill falsetto. He held one arm in the air, skipping sideways down the street.

“Oogie, oogie, oogie, oogie,” Buffy sang, shimmying along next to him.

Willow and Tara trailed along behind the pair, giggling away at the sight of them.

“I think Buffy and Xander might still be a little excited about going to the Bronze,” Willow deadpanned.

“Really?” Tara asked skeptically. Her tone was betrayed by the broad grin on her face.

“And we’ll be dancin’, yeah!” Buffy and Xander cried, bumping hips.

“Uh guys,” Willow laughed.

“Dancin’, yeah!” They replied.

“Guys, I think you have to take a break for now,” Willow called. The sky was darkening from a blaze of orange and rose and red to the gunmetal and lavender of twilight.

“Nuh uh,” Xander panted, “Can’t stop the boogie fever, Wills.” As if to illustrate his point he began skipping again, jerking his arm up toward the sky over and over.

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed. “And you better watch out,” she continued, shimmying closer. “Cause boogie fever is very contagious.”

Willow and Tara didn’t say a word, they just pointed up toward the sky.

“Come on, Buffy,” Xander called. “And we’ll be dancin’, yeah! We’ll go dancin’—”

“Crap,” Buffy exclaimed.

“That’s not how the line goes,” Xander said, coming to a stop.

Buffy joined Willow and Tara in their gesture toward the deepening evening sky. Xander looked up and his brow furrowed.

“What? I don’t see anything. Well,” he continued after a moment. “There’s a couple of stars, but…oh. Xander see. Xander very smart,” he mumbled, blushing. “Xander be quiet now,” he said.

“Or Xander be dinner later,” Willow agreed, nodding.

“Stupid sunset ruining all my fun,” Buffy complained.

“Yeah, darn cycles of nature are so inconvenient,” Willow said.

Buffy turned the pout on her and Tara laughed. Buffy instantaneously fixed the pout on her instead and Tara held up her hands.

“Oh no, I agree. Darn pesky sunsets,” Tara said quickly.

“Do you ever get the feeling that they’re just humoring us?” Xander asked Buffy.

The slayer shrugged, turning forward and walking down the street with a little smirk. “As long as everyone’s clear on the fact that I’m funny, then it’s all good.”

Xander opened his mouth to correct Buffy’s misunderstanding, and then just smiled and shook his head.

“Feelin’ the power of the pout tonight, Tara?” Willow teased.

“I was just trying to cheer her up, with the moratorium on singing and all,” Tara confided in a low voice.

“Aren’t you sweet,” Willow replied, slipping her arm around Tara’s waist and pulling the blonde in for a kiss. After a brief, soft, warm duel they began walking again.

“Any hopes that I could g-get an instant reply on that last smooch?” Tara asked, smiling. She placed her skateboard on the ground, holding out her arms to Willow.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Willow replied, the tip of her tongue darting between her teeth as she grinned.

As they embraced again, leaning in toward each other, they heard a rustling in the alleyway behind them.

“Floaty already?” Willow teased. “My my.” Tara gave a little blush.

They linked hands and turned to break their levitation, only to find they were being followed by a tall, enormously muscled vampire. He was leering at them gleefully.

“Don’t stop kissing on my account, ladies,” he said, voice rumbling and lisping past his fangs. “Nothing as sweet as girls in love.”

Willow spun around. Buffy and Xander had begun dancing again, mouthing the words to Boogie Fever instead of singing. I have to call for help, Willow thought, but her mouth wouldn’t work. A little gasp of air sighed past her lips, and then strong hands gripped her arms painfully, lifting her from the ground.

“Buffy!” She shrieked.

Xander and the slayer turned, clearly horrorstruck, and began to run back towards them. Too late, Willow thought as a wave of fetid breath watched over her. I’m gonna get drained.

“Willow, d-duck,” Tara cried.

The blonde had cut around the vampire and she was brandishing her skateboard like a bat. Willow bowed her head, felt a rush of air, and then heard a sickening crunch as the board connected with the vampire’s face. He cried out and Willow fell free. Tara grabbed her hand and began to pull in the direction of Buffy and Xander, when two more vampires stepped out in front of them.

“Getting your ass kicked by a little girl, Walt?” The vampire on the left drawled, laughing. “That’s pretty sad.”

Both the new vamps were slimmer than the one now moaning on the ground, bleeding, more leanly muscled, but they were tall, imposing, dressed in suits that Willow imagined must be the clothes they were buried in. The laughing vampire lunged towards them and Tara shoved Willow to the left, diving to the right herself so that the vampire stumbled in-between them.

“Catch!” Tara called.

Willow watched Tara pull her arm back and then a rectangle of metal was spinning toward her. Holy water, Willow realized. She caught it just as the vampire straightened and turned toward her. She grabbed the cap and twisted, but it didn’t move. Stuck.

“It’s stuck,” Willow called desperately.

“And you’re dead,” the vampire laughed.

“Funny, I was thinking the same thing,” Buffy said, jumping up onto the vampire’s back and throwing her arms around his neck.

Tara came running around the vampire and took Willow’s hand. “Are you all r-right?” She breathed, pulling them back from the struggling vampire.

“I’m okay, he didn’t hurt me.” Willow grunted as she gripped the flask’s cap again. “I can’t get this lid off, though.”

Willow held out the flask and Tara gripped the cap so hard her knuckles stood out white from her flesh. She gritted her teeth as she wrenched at the bit of metal, trying to break the seal, but it wouldn’t budge. Finally she slipped the flask between her knees and tugged at it with all her might, swearing under her breath.

The vampire who Buffy had jumped on was spinning in circles, trying to dislodge her. The tiny blonde slayer just tightened her grip with one arm, freeing the other to reach down into her coat. After feeling around for a moment she pulled out a stake, but before she could plunge it home, the vampire began to flail more violently, sending the weapon flying.

“Little help here,” Buffy shouted.

At the same moment, Tara freed the cap from the flask and straightened, sending an arc of holy water flying. It hit the vampire on his face, his chest, leaving him smoking and screaming. Buffy dropped off the vampire’s back and dusted her hands off, watching the vampire with a dispassionate smile.

“You made me mess up my hair on a clubbing night,” she growled, delivering a roundhouse kick that sent the vampire crashing into the side of a building.

Buffy flipped forward, snatching the stake off the ground and sending it flying through the air toward the vampire who Tara had hit with her skateboard. The stake punctured his chest and he crumpled into dust without a sound.

“Wow,” Tara murmured.

Willow gave her girlfriend a weak grin that was wiped away at the sound of a harsh cry from the other end of the street. Xander was on the ground, desperately trying to back away from the third vampire, feet scrambling as he pushed off with his hands.

“Xander!” Willow cried.

“Oh goddess,” Tara groaned.

Buffy’s head snapped up and she took a step toward Xander, when the still-smoking vampire climbed to his feet. Without even glancing in his direction, Buffy slammed her fist into his face, knocking him back against the wall again with such force that the cement block cracked. She began to run towards the struggling boy, but Willow could see that there was no way she would make it in time.

Xander, Willow thought as a tear slipped down her cheek. Not like Jesse, please, not like Jesse. Tara pulled her close, gripping her hands tightly.

“Willow,” she said firmly, we can save him.”

Willow looked up at her girlfriend, and before she could even voice the question, Tara spoke.

“Light as a feather.”

The girls turned as one toward Xander and the third vampire. Willow felt the heat of Tara’s magic coursing through her, felt her own power rise to meet it. When those forces touched, she gave a gasp at the strength of the energy that bloomed in her chest. Tara raised their linked hands up, and suddenly the blonde girl’s voice echoed in her mind. Willow was awed by the waves of calm determination she felt radiating from her.

Are you ready?

Willow knew there was no time to be shocked. She nodded, felt the energy in her hum to a new level, felt her hair begin to dance around on her head even though there wasn’t any breeze to speak of.

Up, they thought.

As the word echoed in their minds the vampire was lifted off the ground, twisting and writhing in the air. Willow dimly noticed Buffy spin around to stare at them, open-mouthed, but Willow just kept her focus on the struggling vampire. Xander rolled over and climbed to his feet, backing away from the levitating demon. The vampire began to scream and curse.

Away, Tara thought. Her voice was as sweet as a bell as it echoed through Willow’s mind. The vampire flew backwards as if it had been caught in a strong wind, building speed, moving faster and faster until the vampire collided with a light pole. He hit the pole at its midpoint, right where the traditional ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ pennant was hung. The metal pole the pennant hung from was left protruding from the vampire’s chest. He had enough time to look down and then disappeared in a puff of dust.

As the ashes settled, the four friends were left staring at each other. Well, Willow thought; I’m out of all my closets now. Tara gave a little snort of laughter and Willow realized her girlfriend must still be able to hear her. I love you, Willow sent to her, pouring all her passion, dedication, and love through the link. Tara grinned that crooked smile Willow adored, still giggling. Willow burst out laughing too, and after a moment Buffy and Xander joined in. The four teens stood there in the dark, laughing uproariously, until Buffy doubled over, clutching her stomach.

“Oh, too much laughing,” she sighed. “Tummy hurts.”

“Not as bad as my butt,” Xander howled.

As the shock and adrenaline of their battle began to wane, their laughter softened, slowed.

“Oh man,” Tara said, hands on her knees and eyes watering. “Buffy, I knew that you were strong, but that was absolutely amazing.” Every few words she broke into chuckles again.

“Me?” Buffy laughed. “Well, thanks Tara, but I have to keep in mind that this is coming from the girl who can fly vamps like paper airplanes.”

Xander sidled up to Buffy, still staring at Willow and Tara. “Do you think all lesbian couples have super powers?” He asked the slayer.

This prompted another burst of laughter from Willow and Tara. Xander and Buffy were only able to hold out for a few seconds when they began to laugh again as well. Willow felt a hot rush of relief that they were taking the magic they’d witnessed so well. As their mirth diminished again, Buffy walked over and picked up her stake, sticking it back inside her jacket. Tara was watching her closely. Now that the flush of battle was well and truly over, Willow her feel her love trembling.

“You came prepared,” Tara said softly.

It wasn’t a question, or a challenge, but with those simple words Willow realized Tara was inviting Buffy to confide in her, to share the truth of the otherness she could see hidden in the girl’s aura. There was a long moment of silence as Tara and Buffy stared at each other. Willow let her gaze drift to Xander and he raised his eyebrows at her. Willow gave a tiny shrug. She didn’t know anymore than he did whether Buffy would decide to come out as the slayer. The silence continued and Willow was about to open her mouth to speak, to tell them that they should move on before vamp number two came back with friends, but a soft sigh from Buffy kept her quiet.

“It’s my job,” the slayer said simply.

It was clear from the expression on Xander’s face that he was surprised. His eyebrows shot up so high they were hidden by his bangs. Willow flashed Buffy a grateful smile.

“Your job?” Tara asked.

Buffy nodded. “It’s supposed to be a secret, but you’re one of the gang. You have a right to know.” She took a few steps closer, crossing her arms over her chest.

“In every generation,” she intoned, “there is a chosen one…” Buffy trailed off, raising a hand and opening and closing her fingers as if she were using a sock puppet without the sock. “Big boring speech, yadda, yadda, yadda. Cliff Notes version is Sunnydale sits on the literal mouth to hell, and it’s my job to kill all the demons and other baddies drawn to this place. Oh,” she said after a moment’s pause. “And I occasionally save the world. I’m the slayer.”

“The slayer,” Tara echoed, sounding a bit stunned.

“And we help,” Willow said eagerly, squeezing Tara’s hand. “With the slaying and stuff. Well, not so much with the slaying on a regular basis as you may have noticed tonight,” she babbled. “But we help a lot with researching demons, and I do stuff on the computer.”

Tara didn’t say anything, her gaze travelling from Willow, to Buffy, to Xander and then back again.

“You okay, baby?” Willow asked softly. Tara still didn’t answer and Willow’s brow furrowed. Maybe it was too much. Maybe Tara would be scared, or freaked…

“I’m all right, Will,” Tara murmured, leaning over to press a kiss on the red head’s cheek. “I’m just…wow,” she said finally. “You guys are just a-amazing.”

Buffy’s face brightened with a broad grin, Willow giggled at the little strut she saw in the slayer’s step as she walked over to elbow Xander gently in the ribs.

“Did you hear that, Harris?” She asked happily. “We’re amazing.”

Xander nodded his head. “Yes, that’s great, we’re really cool.” He took a few steps toward Willow and Tara, leaving a flustered and pouty Buffy behind him. “Now can we move on to the fact that Tara and Willow seem to have developed Wonder-Twin powers?”

Tara giggled but Willow’s mouth dropped open. “Xander!” She cried, horrified. “The Wonder Twins were siblings. That’s just wrong!”

“Oh ew,” Buffy said softly.

Xander blushed, but squared his shoulders, giving a little shrug. “Bad comic book metaphors aside, care to explain the whole floaty-floaty dusty-dusty?”

Willow leaned in close to Tara. “You don’t have to say anything you don’t want to.”

“I know,” Tara replied. She turned to face Willow, smiling. “Love you.”

“Thank you,” Willow said. “Love you too.”

They kissed once, quick and soft. When they broke apart, Tara turned to Buffy, biting her lip.

“I’ll t-try to explain it simply,” she stammered. “You might have to b-be a little p-patient though. The s-stutter’s a bit worse when I’m nervous,” she admitted ruefully. “I’m sure you n-noticed.”

“We don’t have to talk about it,” Buffy said kindly.

Willow beamed, feeling such strong affection for her best friend. Slayer she might be, but her soul was gentle.

Tara was smiling too. For a moment Willow thought she might take the out, but then the blonde shook her head. “You have a right to know,” she said, without a hint of stutter, echoing Buffy’s earlier words. “Have you heard of Wicca?” She asked.

When Xander and Buffy both nodded, Tara continued. “I know there are a lot of devotees and w-wannabes out there, but there are some honest to g-goodness witches too.”

Willow gave Tara’s hand a little squeeze of encouragement and the blonde smile broadened. “My grandmother and my mother were both Wiccans, w-what they call Wicca of power, witches. I was b-born,” she paused for a moment and took a deep breath. “I was b-born with the p-power too, so they t-trained me, t-taught me how to commune with the g-goddess. To use my power for good.”

“Like Glinda?” Xander asked.

“I guess,” Tara laughed. “But without the wand and b-bubbles. And there aren’t so many luh-little people involved.”

Xander nodded sagely and Willow clapped her hand over her mouth to keep from laughing aloud.

“So you can float stuff?” Buffy asked.

Tara nodded. “Among other things. I can see auras,” she said, pointing at the slayer. “Yours is different—good,” she said reassuringly when Buffy frowned. “Just big and bright. I knew you were stronger than most folks, now I know why.” She paused for a moment, thoughtfully biting her lip. “I can find lost things, and I know how to douse for w-water. And if a spell’s b-been written down, I can learn it, though it m-might take some time.”

“Tara can help us,” Willow said, answering the question she could tell her friend was too nervous to ask. “She’s already helping me.” She turned to Tara, smiling. “She’s teaching me about Wiccan beliefs, and how to use my power. She’s an amazing teacher.”

Tara blushed but didn’t bow her head. Willow was happy to see the proud smile that curved her gorgeous mouth.

“So you’re a witch too?” Xander asked, creeping closer. He was clearly fascinated.

“Yes,” Willow nodded.

“So how come you never worked your witchy mojo on all the jerks who picked on me and dumped me in trash cans and stuff?”

“I don’t know much yet, Xander,” she laughed. “But you guys know me, I’m a quick study.”

“She’s brilliant,” Tara said.

Willow could feel herself blush. Buffy laughed. “I know you’re biased, but in this instance you’re absolutely right. “Magic Willow huh?” She asked. “Just promise not to float me around if I make you mad, okay?”

“Promise,” Willow said solemnly. She crossed her heart and gave a little laugh.

“Speaking of promises,” Buffy replied. “I believe I was promised a trip to the Bronze for let’s cheer Buffy up day.” She paused, looking at her friends earnestly. “I know the supernatural stuff is important, but it’s not like it’s going anywhere. Buffy need fun, please?” She whimpered.

“Fun it is,” Xander agreed. He held up one hand, as if he were going to recite something. “To the Bronze!” He declaimed in his best ‘epic’ voice.

Buffy clapped her hands like an excited child. “Come on Dorothy and Scarecrow and Glinda,” she said, giggling. “It’s time to have some fun.”

“Is she a big Wizard of Oz fan?” Tara asked as they walked off toward the Bronze.

“It’s a long story,” Willow replied.

When they got the Bronze the crowd was already thick, people milling around in little clusters, talking, joking, and smoking.

“Wow, the Bronze is really hoping tonight,” Xander said, sounding impressed.

“Yeah, I wonder what’s up,” Willow said, standing on her tiptoes and looking around at the people.

“Up?” Buffy squeaked. “I don’t think there’s anything up.”

“Well, let’s see what the big, pretty sign has to tell us,” Xander said, pointing to a large sign that had been set out on an easel next to the door.

“But reading is so overrated,” Buffy said, trying to sound dismissive. “And I need a cool and frosty beverage.”

“It’ll just take a second,” Xander replied, weaving his way through the crowd.

Willow followed right behind him, trailed herself by Tara, who still clung lightly to her hand. She could hear Buffy rumbling further protests and wondered what had the little slayer so flustered. After maneuvering around a group of jocks from UC Sunnydale, the sign finally came into view. It read: OPEN MIC NIGHT CONTEST in large block letters, and in even larger text, right beneath it, was a notice that the grand prize winner would get $250.00 dollars. Willow felt the grip on her hand tighten.

“M-maybe we should c-call it a night,” Tara murmured in her ear.

“Buffy,” Willow said accusingly, turning to the slayer.

The little blonde held up her hands. “I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want you to feel any pressure, Tara,” she told the taller blonde earnestly. “I just wanted to go out with all my friends and have some fun. There’s no pressure.” She paused, flashing a wicked grin. “Even if you are way more talented than anyone who will play here tonight and you could totally win 250 big ones.”

“Well, as long as there’s no pressure,” Tara said sardonically. “I guess I’m still in.”

“Yippee!” Buffy cried happily, leading the way into the Bronze.

“Did that line of reasoning really just work?” Xander asked. He sounded completely puzzled.

“No Xander, Willow laughed. “My girlfriend is just a really good sport.” She gave Tara’s hand a squeeze, leaning in close. “But there really is no pressure, baby.” Even if Buffy is right.

Between the mess of people outside and the crowd waiting inside, it was clear it was going to be a packed night at the Bronze. Thankfully there were so many people waiting outside for the music to start that there were still plenty of spaces open. The quartet snagged their regular table.

“Okay,” Xander said, slapping his hands together. “To repay for the privilege of getting to hand with the three prettiest girls in Sunnydale, I’ll be fetching the frosty beverages. Orders please,” he said, pretending to hold a notebook and pen.

“Coke,” Buffy said.

“Root beer,” Willow followed.

“Just w-water, please,” Tara finished.

“Done, done, and done,” he replied, weaving off through the crowd towards the bar.

“This is great, huh?” Buffy asked wearily, shouting to be heard over the piped in music and the conversations going on all around them.

“It’s certainly b-busy,” Tara replied, smiling weakly.

Willow took a step closer to her girlfriend, letting her body press against Tara’s arm, her hip. Willow took a deep breath and moved a hand under the table and began gently kneading Tara’s hip. Tara turned to look at her, wide-eyed and smiling. Willow moved her hand lower in response, brushing the edge where hip met thigh, then letting it go slowly down the girl’s inner thigh. Willow moved her hand gently back and forth, grinning as Tara’s eyes began to drift closed and her mouth formed a little ‘o’. In a moment of desire, Willow flattened her hand against the warmth of Tara’s thigh, giving the flesh there a gentle squeeze.

Tara’s eyes shot open as her hips moved forward in response to Willow’s touch. She stumbled against the table with a grunt.

“You okay, Tara?” Buffy asked, taking a break from bee-bopping along to the music thumping through the sound system.

The blonde was blushing bright pink. “I’m f-fine,” she stammered, voice high and squeaky. “Muscle cramp.”

“Comes with the vamp bashing,” Buffy said sagely. “Willow,” she exclaimed suddenly, pointing.

Uh oh, caught, Willow thought, feeling a blush creep up her neck. “Yeah Buff,” she murmured, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Help your girlfriend with her cramp. Get to rubbin’!”

Tara turned to look at Buffy, her mouth twisted in a wry grin. Buffy blinked and then her jaw dropped and she blushed almost as bright as Tara had a moment before.

“That came out all wrong,” Buffy said sheepishly.

“I knew what you meant,” Willow replied giggling. “And I’m happy to help,” she told Tara, waggling her eyebrows.

“It’s all better!” Tara cried, throwing her arms up in the air.

Xander chose that moment to return to the table, setting the drinks down with a thud.

“You wouldn’t believe how busy the bar was,” he grumbled. “And the bartender made me show my ID even though I wasn’t buying alcohol. He was smiley, too smiley. I think he’s a serial killer who wanted my address so he can make me his next victim. Creepy thought…”

He trailed off, taking in the still-blushing Buffy, the mischievously grinning Willow, and Tara, who slowly lowered her arms under his curious gaze.

“Did I miss something?” He asked.

When none of them replied, his eyes narrowed and he crossed his arms. “I did, didn’t I? Something good and you’re not going to tell me what it was, even though I was all chivalrous and got drinks and stuff.”

“Aw, poor Xander,” Willow laughed. Tara and Buffy tried and failed to conceal their own attacks of the giggles as Xander’s frown deepened. “You’re so abused.”

“Not as abused as my ears,” Buffy groaned as a long, ear splitting burst of feedback poured through the Bronze.

“Was that an accident, or do they th-think that’s music?” Tara said, hands clamped over her ears.

“I’m not sure, but the guy with the microphone doesn’t seem too happy about it either way,” Willow said, nodding toward a slim, dark-haired man who was screaming into the mic that had been placed downstage center.

The torture went on for another minute and a half, and then the raven-haired screamer murmured a soft and surprisingly melodic ‘thank you’ into the microphone. As the musicians walked off, people scattered around the club began to clap.

“So does that mean it was music, or are people just happy that they stopped?” Buffy asked.

“Maybe a bit of both?” Tara asked.

They heckled their way through the next four acts. None of them was quite as bad as the first, but not a one was what could be considered, by any means, good. Highlights included a bassist chucking his instrument into the wings mid-song when a string broke and popped him in the face, and a goth group whose song lyrics consisted totally of ‘You cried, I died’ repeated over and over, punctuated with little sobbing noises.

The sixth act was announced and a man walked onto stage. He was an older guy, with a paunch, and he was wearing a cowboy hat, boots, and blue jeans. The ensemble was topped off with a plaid, pearl-buttoned shirt.

“Oh please god, no,” Buffy sighed.

“Not a big country music fan,” Willow murmured to Tara by way of an explanation.

The cowboy sang a twangy song about a life lived with love and loss and mistakes. All in all it wasn’t awful, definitely the best performance that had been seen that night so far, though the warbling yodel at the end of the song set Willow’s teeth on edge. He strolled off stage and Buffy dropped her head in her hands.

“It can’t be,” the slayer growled. “It can’t be true.”

“Buffy?” Willow asked.

The little blonde looked up, her face slack. “I almost liked that,” she said in a hollow voice. “These bands are all so crap that I almost liked a country song. It’s not right.”

She stared around the room, looking almost furtive; like she was worried someone may’ve heard her confession.

“You want another soda, Buff?” Xander asked.

“No,” Buffy said, stomping her foot with a little pout. “I want the lucky number seven act to live up to its name and not suck.”

Tara giggled and Willow leaned into her again, smiling and giving her knee a playful squeeze. It was amazing to love, to be loved, by someone who was so open to joy. She was pulled from contemplating the wonder that was Tara when Buffy spoke again.

“I learned a long time ago that sometimes you’ve just gotta take matters into your own hands.” She turned to Tara and smiled. “You’ll thank me later.”

Without a word of warning, Buffy grabbed Tara around the waist and lifted her up, slinging the taller girl over her shoulder.

“B-Buffy,” Tara said with a startled gasp.

“Be right back,” Buffy told Willow and Xander. She spun around and marched off toward the stage. Tara was hanging there looking totally dumbfounded. She didn’t say a word as Buffy carried her away.

“Hey!” Willow said, feeling a tight ball of anger in her gut. She strode forward to stop the slayer, when there was a gentle pressure on her arm. She turned to see Xander clutching her bicep.

“Let me go,” she fumed.

“Will,” Xander said patiently. “In her own, special Buffy way, Buff is just trying to help.”

“I know,” Willow said, almost growling. “But what if she really freaks out up there? You know Tara is nervous with big crowds, Xander.”

“She won’t freak,” Xander replied kindly. “Look.”

He lifted a hand and put it on the top of Willow’s head, turning her to face the stage. Buffy had just reached the top of the stairs. She placed Tara gently on the ground. As soon as she was free, Tara took a step back toward the stairs. Buffy shook her head slowly and took Tara by the hand, leading her toward the microphone. Willow could see Buffy was talking to Tara steadily the entire time. I wonder what she’s saying, Willow thought. Most of her anger was diminished now, replaced with excitement at getting to see her girl sing for the waiting crowd.

The bar was almost perfectly silent, everyone was watching the mini-drama play out on the stage. They reached the microphone and Tara shrugged, holding her hands out palm-up. Buffy nodded again and walked toward the wings. Willow gave a little chuckle when she saw her very impulsive best friend make a beeline for the cowboy.

Buffy talked to him for a moment and then, to Willow’s amazement, he handed Buffy his acoustic guitar with a little tip of his hat. Buffy nodded in reply, smiling, and walked back to Tara, cradling the guitar.

“How does she do that?” Willow asked, bemused.

“Well, they don’t call her the chosen one for giggles,” Xander replied, finally releasing her arm. “You and I both know that she’s bursting with amazing quippy charm.”

“Is that what they’re calling it these days?” A voice drawled from behind them. “I thought she was just bursting with freakish strength and questionable fashion sense.”

“And here’s someone with no charm at all,” Xander said with fake cheer. “Hi Cordelia. Hi Cordelia’s minions.”

“Hah hah, Harris,” Chase replied dryly. “So can the new addition to the geek patrol actually sing, or—”

Willow didn’t let her finish, walking right up to Cordelia and poking her in the shoulder.

“Tara is talented besides being extraordinarily beautiful, Cordelia, so you better not (poke) dare (poke) say anything but good things about her.”

Cordelia stared at her for a moment and then snickered. “Wow Rosenberg, I was kidding at the beach today, but maybe I had it right, huh?” She hooked a thumb toward the stage. “Is she your girlfriend?”

Willow stare at her, a million thoughts running through her mind. She had the best, most supportive friends, and Tara, Tara loved her, but her parents…Willow pushed that worry down and looked a Cordelia with a little smile.

“Yes Cordelia, the gorgeous, sweet, skateboarding, guitar-playing goddess is my girlfriend.” She patted the stunned girl on the shoulder. “I know you must be jealous, but try not to feel too insecure about it.” Willow heard the sound of Tara quickly retuning the guitar. “Now if you’ll excuse me, my girlfriend is about to sing to me. Shoo, shoo,” Willow said, smirking and waving at Cordelia with both hands.

Cordelia just stared at Willow for a moment, shaking her head like she was trying not to fall asleep. After a moment she wandered away, still looking shell-shocked.

“Woot for Will,” Xander said ecstatically, “Vanishing the queen-B twice in one day! Amazing!”

“I missed a Cordelia visit?” Buffy asked dryly, strolling over to rejoin them. “What a shame.”

When Willow turned to face her, Buffy held up her hands. “Remember Will,” she said quickly. “You promised not to float me around, even if I made you mad.”

“I’m not gonna float you, Buffy,” Willow laughed.

“You should’ve seen the ole Willster,” Xander said eagerly. “She was amazing, shut Cordelia right up.”

“Shush,” Willow said, smiling. Tara was walking up to the microphone.

“No really,” Xander said, clueless to Willow’s reason for the request. “You were great.”

“No,” Willow said slowly, pointing toward the stage. “We’re making with the shushing because Tara’s going to sing.”

“Oh!” Xander said. “Shushing,” he replied quickly when Buffy gave him a little poke.

Tara stepped up to the mic clutching the borrowed guitar in front of her like a shield. She stared out over the audience and before she could duck her head, Willow threw her arm up, waving wildly. Tara noticed her motion and her face transformed when she saw Willow watching.

Love you, Willow mouthed, and she knew Tara saw it because her grin kicked up another notch.

“Hi, I’m Tara,” the blonde said softly. Her voice echoed smooth and sweet through the sound system. “Thanks for coming out.”

She waited a beat and then her fingers began to dance over the strings of the cowboy’s guitar, strumming a beautiful melody. When she lifted her head to begin to sing, Tara locked her gaze on Willow.

“You by the light, is the greatest find
In a world full of wrong, you’re the thing that’s right
Finally made it through the lonely to the other side.

Willow felt tears prickle at the corners of her eyes, thinking of the night she’d met Tara beneath the streetlights.

You said it again, my heart’s in motion,
every word feels like a shooting star
I’m on the edge of my emotions, watching the shadows burning in the dark
And I’m in love, and I’m terrified
for the first time, and the last time, in my only life, life

Willow clapped her hands over her heart; it was pounding so fiercely that it felt like it would bend her ribs. She found herself filled with a profound blend of pleasure and gratitude that Tara didn’t feel lonely anymore.

This could be good, its already better than that
Thank you so much, babe, for never holding back
Now I am all that you need, because you let me try

Tara closed her eyes and threw her head back as she launched into the chorus again, setting her hair glowing like a halo. Willow gave a little breathless gasp at the sight of her girlfriend under the stage lights. There’s my angel, she thought. So beautiful. My love is so beautiful.

“Wow,” Buffy said, pulling Willow from her reverie. The slayer looked from Tara to Willow and back again. “Tara devotion. That’s intense stuff, Will.”

“Yeah,” the redhead sighed happily, looking at girlfriend, the girl who’d changed her entire world with one wave. “Don’t I know it.”

I’m at the edge of my emotions, watching the shadows burning in the dark
And I’m in love, and I’m terrified, for the first time
And the last time, in my only life.

Tara opened her eyes again, catching Willow’s gaze. She gave the redhead a little wink and began to rock a little bit to the melody of the song, relaxing into the charisma and confidence that had brought her such popularity as a busker.

I only said it 'cause I mean it, oh I only mean it 'cause it’s true
So don’t you doubt what I've been dreaming, 'cause it keeps me up
And holds me close whenever I’m without you

At those words Willow couldn’t stop the little frown that crossed her face.
Being without Tara wasn’t something she wanted to contemplate, but she didn’t want to be dishonest with her girlfriend. She knew that if she told Tara about her mother’s new rule about sleepovers without parental supervision, she would insist on staying at Giles’ house so Willow wouldn’t get in trouble. But Willow didn’t care about trouble, she just wanted to wake up in the morning with Tara in her arms, for things to be the way they should be.

I’m at the edge of my emotions, watching the shadows burning in the dark
And I’m in love, and I’m terrified, for the first time,
And the last time, in my only life…life, life, in my only life.

The song came to an end and Tara lifted her fingers from the neck of the guitar and leaned closer to the microphone, her eyes still locked on Willow.

“Thank you,” she said softly. Willow gave a little jump when she heard her girlfriend’s voice whisper in her mind. Thank you for loving me, Willow. I’ll always love you.

There was a moment of silence as the two girls watched each other from across the room, and then the Bronze exploded with applause. People were cheering, and there were even a few whistles thrown into the mix. Tara held her hand up and gave a little wave, and then walked quickly across the stage to return the guitar to its owner. The cowboy was applauding with the rest of the crowd. He paused to take his instrument back with a nod, and then held a hand out toward Tara, driving the applause to new heights. Tara was smiling, blushing so profusely that Willow could see it from the audience.

When the accolades finally began to die down, Tara walked off the stage, hurrying back toward the table where Willow was eagerly waiting with Buffy and Xander. As soon as Tara came near, Willow reached out and pulled the still-blushing girl into her arms, murmuring praise and congratulations to her as Tara traced her fingers up and down Willow’s back.

“You are so going to win that $250.00,” Buffy said, sounding terribly pleased with herself.

Tara gave Willow a kiss on the cheek and then turned to look at the slayer. “I guess I should thank you for, uh, encouraging me,” she said with a smile.

Willow laughed. “Is that what it was?”

“It looked more like a kidnapping to me,” Xander replied, grinning broadly as he teased the slayer.

“Oh har, har,” Buffy said archly.

They chatted for a few minutes, sending Xander to fetch another round of drinks from the scary bartender. When he came back they were still going full swing, discussing the number of performers left that night, and the slim odds that any of them could beat Tara’s performance. The next act was a full band, members carried out amps, instrument stands, and pieces of a drum kit in a slow and cyclical progression, the five band members rotating in and out of the wings. Tara was fidgety next to Willow, bouncing from foot to foot as they watched this all going on. After the fidgeting went on a for a few minutes, Willow wondered if her girlfriend was still feeling uncomfortable with the crowd at the Bronze, or worse, if she was in some type of pain. Before she could open her mouth to ask, Tara spoke.

“Bathroom,” she said urgently, gripping Willow’s hand. “She’s my buddy,” Tara told Buffy and Xander. “Safety in numbers.”

“Kay,” Buffy said between sips of coke.

Xander gave them a vague wave; he was too busy staring at the curvy brunette on stage setting up her drums.

Tara gave Willow’s hand a gentle squeeze and led them through the crowd toward the bathroom, weaving through the throng of people with an easy, athletic grace. The blonde kept up a speedy pace, forcing Willow to take two quick steps to keep up with every one of Tara’s long strides.

“Baby,” Willow said, giving Tara’s hand a little squeeze. “I want to tell you something.”

Tara slowed a bit, turning to look at Willow even as she steered them around a table of drunken guys who cheered at her as they walked by. “Yes, love?”

“I just wanted to say, I thought you were really brave tonight.”

Tara came to a stop, a small smile curving her lips. “Willow,” she chuckled. “I don’t know if it really counts as brave considering Buffy had to carry me up there and everything.”

“Huh?” Willow said, and then giggled. “No silly, during the vampire attack. Thank you for saving me, it was really brave.”

The blonde reached out and laid a gentle hand on Willow’s cheek. “Nobody messes with my girl,” she murmured, cheeks flushing pink.

Willow turned her head to kiss the palm of Tara’s hand and Tara gave a little jolt as if she’d been electrified, pulling Willow along as she began striding toward the bathroom again. They walked into the ladies room together. Tara walked toward a stall and Willow waited for her to go inside, but she just looked into it and walked away, glancing into each stall before returning to the door and throwing the deadbolt. When the door was firmly locked, Tara turned back to Willow, her cerulean eyes gone dark.

Smoldering, Willow realized with a nervous tension spreading through her belly. She’s smoldering… She felt desire curl like a hot wire in her belly.

“Do you have, uh, public restroom anxiety?” Willow squeaked.

Tara stepped toward her, still smiling, eyes half-closed, and shook her head.

“Do you feel okay?”

Tara’s smile broadened and she nodded. “I feel great. It’s just that there’s something I’ve been meaning to do since the last time we were at the Bronze.” She paused, taking another step closer to Willow, leaving their bodies only inches apart. “And since today has been all about the brave…”

Willow didn’t have time to say a word as Tara swept her across the bathroom to press against the wall, kissing her passionately, almost greedily. The blonde slipped one hand around Willow’s neck, fingers slipping into her hair, the other slide behind to grip the small of her back. With just a few seconds of eager kisses Willow’s lips felt hot, almost enflamed, she groaned as Tara slowly sucked her lower lip into her mouth, sliding her teeth over the sensitive flesh.

A moment later, as Tara’s tongue slid gently over the lip she’d just grazed, Willow wrapped her arms around her girl, hands following the curve of her back to slide down over the absolutely hot curves of Tara’s bottom. Willow found herself pressed into the wall even harder, Tara moved her hands out of Willow’s hair, from around her waist, and carefully slipped them under Willow’s shirt, rubbing the smooth, warm skin of the redhead’s stomach.

“Oh goddess,” Tara panted into Willow’s mouth. “You’re so soft, so wonderful.”

“Tara,” Willow gasped, blushing a bit as her hips bucked uncontrollably every time Tara stroked her stomach.

Willow felt a pressure against her legs and moved her feet apart, holding back a cry as Tara’s warm thigh pressed in, almost lifting her from the ground. Willow shuffled forward half a step, pressing herself more firmly against her girlfriend. The sensation, the radiating waves of fluttering heat, drove another soft moan from her. Tara’s hands slipped higher and higher, tickling at the edge of her ribs, and then finally coming to a stop at the edge of her bra, brushing the soft and sensitive skin there over and over again.

“Please,” Willow pleaded. “Oh, please, Tara.” She wanted her girlfriend to know how much she wanted her. All that I am, all that I have, is yours, Willow thought.

Suddenly Tara’s warm, strong hands were cupping her breasts, thumbs brushing her straining nipples through the thin material of her bra. Willow cried out wordlessly, leaning forward to take Tara’s mouth again, trying to muffle the sounds of her pleasure. The blonde rocked into her, keeping in rhythm with her gentle kneading of Willow’s breasts. Willow slipped her hands under Tara’s shirt, running her fingertips up and down her back in feathery caresses. Tara sighed happily, still kissing her, alternating between the soft, lush press of lips against lips, teasing tongue, the gentle nip of teeth. And then Tara’s hands were gone, Willow began to pout at the loss of the gentle friction the blonde’s thumbs had offered, but then felt Tara’s fingertips slide under the sides of the bra, felt the lacy cloth tugged up, baring Willow’s breasts beneath her shirt.

Oh god, oh god, oh god, the redhead chanted to herself.

She cried out, grinding herself against Tara’s thigh as she felt warm, soft palms cup her naked breasts, stroking, caressing. “Tara,” she moaned, her voice low, breathless. “That, that’s wonderful.”

“You feel so good, Willow,” Tara panted, thigh shifting faster and faster as her hips pumped against Willow’s body. She gave a gentle squeeze and Willow threw her head back, biting her lip to keep from screaming. Her nipples were so hard now that every brush of Tara’s velvet soft skin against that engorged flesh was an absolutely torturous ecstasy.

She felt Tara’s lips press against her neck, down onto her collarbone, feather-light brushes that left her shivering against the blonde. Her hair trailed along Willow’s skin as she kissed her over and over, never pausing in the attention she was lavishing on Willow’s breasts, on her steady rocking of the girl’s slender frame. Tara was gasping over and over in the rhythm of her movement, her caresses. She crushed her mouth against Willow’s, lovingly exploring ever corner with her tongue, and then moved back down to her collarbone again. After planting a few kisses along the edge of her neck, her mouth withdrew.

Willow felt a rush of cool air against her stomach, her chest, and then her mouth dropped open as she felt her left nipple drawn into a wondrously soft, wet, cocoon of warmth. She looked down at Tara, at her soul mate, gently sucking on her nipple.

She couldn’t hold it in anymore, Willow cried out, pulling Tara tighter against her. “So good,” she chanted over and over again, voicing little moans each time she felt the solid warmth of Tara’s tongue flicking against her. “Oh god, so good.”

“You taste so sweet, rosy girl,” Tara murmured in a blur as she transferred her mouth to the other nipple, her free hand coming up to caress the abandoned breast.

“I love you,” Willow said. As she spoke, Tara’s teeth grazed her left nipple while her hand pinched the right. Willow voiced a shaking moan, could feel moisture pooling between her legs as Tara continue to rock beneath her. She felt the muscles in her stomach jumping in waves, felt a tension rising in her that she hadn’t experienced since the first time she wound her magic with Tara’s.

“So good, Tara,” she sighed, reveling in the sound of Tara’s name, laced with such passion, coming from her own lips. She squeezed Tara’s bottom pulling her hips closer, and then let her hands slide back up Tara’s sides, till they brushed the girl’s bra-clad breasts. She moaned against Willow’s chest, sending vibrations in little tickling waves, in ripples from her breast that radiated outward in ever-expanding rings of pleasure.

And then there was a knock on the door.

Tara dropped her leg, pulled her lips away from Willow’s breast, and froze, staring up at the redhead.

“Out of service,” Willow cried, grabbing Tara’s cheeks and guiding the girl up to give her a passionate kiss. She slipped her tongue into Tara’s mouth as she felt the blonde’s hands move back onto her chest, kneading swiftly.

There was another knock and the girls sighed, pulling out of their kiss.

“Guys,” Buffy said, her voice muffled by the steel door. “I’m really, really sorry, but I think you have to come out of there. You’re breaking Xander from long distance.”

Willow groaned and laid her head against Tara’s shoulder, pouting as she felt her girlfriend gently slid her bra back down into place.

“Stupid Xander,” she grumbled.

“It’s all right,” Tara murmured, her warm breath tickling Willow’s ear. “We have time. I love you, love you so much, Will.”

“I love you too, baby,” Willow said, she couldn’t help the smile that curved her lips at Tara’s words.

“If it helps any,” Buffy called from the other side of the door. “I’ve got a check here for $250.00 dollars with your name on it.”

Last edited by LonelyTara on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:31 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
DIBS DIBS DIBS!!

Hell yes. Back momentarily with feedback.

Oh. but:

Quote:
you quoted my favorite line from the chapter, guess which one

... Hmm... for funnyness:

Quote:
Reserved, British grumpy, but still, all with the grump.”

... for sweetness:

Quote:
“I’ll try to make each day a little happier than the last.” Tara gave a little laugh and Willow raised an eyebrow at her. “What, you don’t think I can?”

... or for just plain truth-ness:

Quote:
“Maternal ninja skills are a necessity when you have a teenage daughter.”

I know that's technically cheating since I just mentioned all the quotes you already said it wasn't, but hey, all's fair in love and fanfic.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
Laragh, thanks for beta-ing the end of this chapter!

Hey, no worries, glad I could be of any assistance :)

Quote:
“Or Xander be dinner later,” Willow agreed, nodding.

:rofl Hey, she speaks the truth

Quote:
“As long as everyone’s clear on the fact that I’m funny, then it’s all good.”

As long as they're laughing with you, right, Buff?

Okay, I'm not gonna quote the entire float-y/save-y scene lol but can I just say it was wonderful (and I get what you meant now about them dealing with the near-death stuff that lead to the sneak peek I got.)

Quote:
“Do you think all lesbian couples have super powers?”

Yes.

Yay for Tara finally knowing about Buffy being the slayer!!

Quote:
“Muscle cramp.”

In her pants, right? :wink

Terrified! I love that song!! Super choice!! Now I'll think of these two and this wonderful story every time I hear it.

Yay, we're at the bathroom scene :)

Wow. Loved it the first time and I LOVED it the second time (okay, that's a lie, since I went back and re-read the PM you sent like 50 times I enjoyed it so much :blush) so...

I loved it as a a PM and I LOVED it as a post!

Oh and the 'cheque for $250' actually makes sense now :p

Wonderfully perfect update. I fall more and more in love with this story with every chapter. I always wished Willow would have met Tara when she was just learning the magics. Things would have worked out so differently.

Can't wait for more.

:peace

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

Last edited by Laragh on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:31 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs. ... Darn it.

Wow. Great update. I think this is the reason so many people are mean to gays and lesbians: They're just jealous that they can't have public bathroom sex. ;-)

Yea for Buffy getting Tara out of her shell. And yea for everyone being accepting of Willow being a witch. I wonder what Giles' reaction will be based on his experience with Eygon.

Can wait for the next update

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:36 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
Weeelll, at least I got dibs on one of them.

The way Willow is just shooting Cordelia down is hilarious, highly entertaining.

The prize money is a definite help, but still curious as to what will happen at the end of her week with Giles.

It would seem naughty Willow has sleepover plans, but can you blame her?
Quote:
“Wow,” Buffy said, pulling Willow from her reverie. The slayer looked from Tara to Willow and back again. “Tara devotion. That’s intense stuff, Will.” “Yeah,” the redhead sighed happily, looking at her girlfriend, the girl who’d changed her entire world with one wave. “Don’t I know it.”

Even the often oblivious Buffy couldn't miss their chemistry.

Patiently wait for more...

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:20 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness.... Good that Buffy dragged Tara onto the stage, Tar needs those $250... Big yay for witch-y foo girls in the vamp fight... Good that Tara now knows that Buffy is the Slayer...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 pm 

lol, sorry I'm late on this one but I read it over on ff so :P

So cute! Buffy was all about interrupting their naughtiness this time! So cute! I'm going to read Three Hearts now :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:58 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Excellent update. Glad that Buffy felt comfortable enough to let Tara know she is the slayer. The part with the muscle cramp made me laugh. Willow and Tara making out in the bathroom was :thud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Damn!! Buffy alwas has to interrupt, why is that??

I loved the way Willow stood up to Cordelia and when Buffy carried Tara up to the stage... well, I loved the whole chapter really.

More soon? :wtkiss

Hector Avellan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:02 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Hey, LT

LOVE the story. The dialogue really rings true - right on word choice and that that amazing Buffy-verse grammar!

It is also very touching, seeing that pair of star-crossed lovers in a new setting. Willow's discovery of her own beauty is lovely.

Thank you for the heads up on this story. I'll be more detailed as I read more.

Ariel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:18 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Wow. I love the singing and the very hot bathroom lust. Buffy and Xander are cool and supportive in a way that they totally didn't grow for years in Cannon. How nice to read. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:30 pm 
3. Flaming O

they broke Xander long distance... oh boy i think you broke me... wow
:bow :thud :sheep
i mean ... first WOW, and second can i say WOW
amazing job

:kitty

Scarlet Black

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:51 pm 

First off, wow, sorry that it has been such a hella long time since my last update. Things have been crazy at work, and I'm trying to be healthier in life. The gym is good, but it cuts into writing time...eek. I'll try to get back to a regular updating schedule. Thanks so much to all of you who are reading, and especially those of you who de-lurked to ask for more!

Laragh--Overdue congrats on the Dibs! Thanks so much for your detailed comments and kind words. You got the quote--I won't tell you which one, but it was in there! LOL, nah, it was the sweetness one. :D I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter and I hope you enjoy the next one!

BuffyFan4ever--So close! I'm glad you enjoyed Buffy's little kidnapping, LOL. You'll get Giles' reaction soon, but not yet, sorry.

vampyregurl73--Nothing wrong with third. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the W/C battle. The end of the week draws ever closer, I promise answers will be forthcoming in the next few chapters. I'm glad you enjoyed Buffy appreciating the depths of their affection. It makes up for season 5 when Buffy was crying about Xander and Anya's "miraculous love" when Willow and Tara were WAY more in love and well-balanced...

Zampsa1975--Thanks so much for reading. Yeah, I'm glad Tara knows about the slayage too. She's a full-fledged Scooby now!

Mags--I'm glad you liked! :D

love_2003--Thanks so much for the compliment!

ceridwen--Hee, yeah, that Buffy, terrible timing! Thrilled that you liked the chapter!

Ariel--Thanks so much for taking the time to read my fic. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

JustSkipIt--I got a "Wow". Wow! :D I'm glad you enjoyed it!

sapphoselene--I think that I got my first Thuds and Holy Sheeps with this chapter. LOVE IT! I'm glad I could break you long distance. *wink*

Update follows directly:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:01 pm 

• Title - Wave
• Rating - PG-13 to hard R by the end
• Notes-Thanks to everyone who will read. Some of the dialogue in this chapter may come from BtVS episodes.

Chapter Twelve: Night

“I’m really, really, sorry,” Buffy groaned.

The slayer was walking backwards down the street, her hands clenched up under her chin. She’d been apologizing over and over ever since they dropped Xander at home. The boy had been unusually quiet the whole way back from the Bronze, flushed and chuckling at odd moments.

“Buffy, it’s oh-okay,” Tara replied, cheeks tinged pink. “We’re n-not mad.”

“She’s mad!” Buffy cried, stopping dead in the street and pointing at Willow.

Tara gave a little chuckle. “Willow’s not mad.”

She turned toward Willow, smiling that delicious crooked grin, but the moment Tara laid eyes on her it faltered.

“You’re not, are you, Will?” Tara asked softly.

Willow watched her best friend and her girlfriend, her voice tooled into a carefully neutral expression. “I’m not mad,” she replied. Don’t blush, don’t blush, don’t blush, Willow told herself silently. Nothing to be embarrassed about, you have every right to make out with your girlfriend… She closed her eyes as she felt heat creep into her cheeks. Dammit.

“Urgh,” Buffy said, stomping her foot. “See? Mad. I’m sorry.”

“Willow,” Tara said, giving the red head’s hand a little squeeze. “There’s nothing to be mad about, no harm done, right?”

“I’m not mad,” Willow repeated, opening her eyes again. “There’s no me-pout going on here.” She gave a little grin but Buffy and Tara just stared at her. She sighed. “I’m just—”

“See?” Buffy said, she threw her hands up in the air and started walked back and forth drawing her arms back down and shoving them in their pockets. “It’s so not my fault. You guys were gone for a while and Xander I started getting worried. Xander said maybe Cordelia was giving you guys a hard time, but I laughed and reminded him that you two are magical and float-y and if vampires didn’t stand a chance, how would Cordelia?”

Buffy’s hands went up as she turned away from them, and then back down into her pockets. “And then Xander asked what I thought you guys were doing and he got all blush-y and I told him to stop being a perv and he told me to prove him wrong so I came over to the bathroom and the door was locked and so I knocked.” She spun back toward them, beet red. “And there’s the slayer hearing but I didn’t hear until it was too late. And then when I heard, I turned around and I must’ve made a face because Xander’s mouth dropped open and he blushed even more cause he’s a perv. And now you’re mad.”

“I’m not mad,” Willow replied quietly. “I’m just a little embarrassed.”

Buffy took a few gasping breaths. “How do you babble like this all the time?” She murmured, leaning over with her hands on her knees. “You must have amazing lung capacity. I bet you could climb Everest without oxygen, like a sherbet.”

“I think you mean Sh-Sherpa,” Tara said. Her voice shook and Willow winced.

“I was doing it again,” Buffy said, still breathing hard. “Someone stop me or I’m gonna pass out.”

“But I’m not embarrassed about us,” Willow insisted, taking Tara’s face in her hands. “Never about us, or anything that we do. I just don’t want Buffy and Xander thinking about the things that we do. Does that make sense?”

“It wasn’t very romantic,” Tara replied in a tiny voice.

“Are you kidding?” Willow replied, eyes widening. “You saved my life, and then you serenaded me in front of, like, a hundred people, and then, well you know what happened next and we don’t need to give Buffy unnecessary details, but it was absolutely beautiful and romantic and totally smokin’ hot, and don’t—”

Willow stopped when she found herself mumbling against Tara’s lips. She dimly heard the sound of her girlfriend’s skateboard hitting the ground and then Tara’s arms were around her, pulling her close. After a long, sweet press of lip to silken lip, Tara gave her another, smaller kiss and leaned back.”

“Don’t ever think you’re not romantic,” she finished dully. “Wow. What was that for?”

“Because I luh-love you, and you’re sweet,” Tara replied, and then she giggled. “And I had to stop you somehow, I can’t have you and Buffy b-both passing out from b-babble.”

“Romantic and brilliant,” Willow sighed happily.

“And smokin’ hot?” Tara whispered with a little giggle.

“Totally,” Willow nodded, leaning in for another kiss.

“Thank god we already dropped Xander off,” Buffy chuckled. “He’d be spontaneously combusting right now.”

“Buffy!” Willow cried. Tara’s face reddened with an instantaneous blush.

“Well I’m right here,” Buffy pouted. “And it’s sure not like I’m gonna tell him or anything. But, no more making fun of me when I try to talk about Angel smoochies.”

Tara giggled again and Willow grinned, bobbing up on the balls of her feet. “I love Tara giggles,” she said happily, pulling her in for another kiss.

“What’s funny?” Buffy said still pouting.

“I i-m-magined Angel’s face if he heard you u-using the word smoochies,” Tara replied.

“Oh,” Buffy said, going wide-eyed.

Willow couldn’t help it; she snorted and choked out, “Brooding smoochies,” sending Tara into another burst of laughter.

The slayer crossed her arms, blushing furiously. “Not funny.”

“S-sorry,” Tara stammered. She pulled her arms behind her back, suddenly somber. “We were only k-kidding.”

Willow chuckled and shook her head. “She’s not mad.” She turned to Buffy and found herself under the fully brunt of the combined pout and glare. Her mouth dropped open, but after a moment she managed to mutter, “Are you mad?”

Buffy gave a little shrug. “I’m not mad.”

“I’m so sorry,” Willow replied, wondering how she’d thought it would be okay to tease Buffy that way, especially after the thing with Angel and Ford. “I didn’t mean…I was just teasing—”

She broke off as Buffy broke into loud pealing, laughter, bent nearly double as she slapped her knee. “I can’t believe you fell for that!” The slayer howled. “Brooding smoochies is hilarious, why in the world would I be mad?”

“But you—” Willow began, pointed at Buffy, flabbergasted. “You, with the pout, and the glare, making all with the mad face—”

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Wills,” Buffy replied. “Sometimes its just too easy!”

Willow opened her mouth and then closed it again. Turn about is fair play, she thought. Without a word, the little redhead crossed her arms over her chest and stared down at the street, pushing out her lower lip in classic Willow-pout form.

“You’re not mad,” Buffy crowed.

Willow didn’t reply. Without taking her eyes off the ground, she turned her back on her girlfriend and the slayer, faking a little sniffle. There was a long moment of silence, and then she felt a little tickle on the back of her head. Willow had to hold back a squeak when Tara’s laughter echoed in her head.

You’re such a faker.

Willow resisted the urge to stick out her tongue and bounce on the balls of her feet. The silence continued on. She heard something scrape against the asphalt and realized Buffy must be scuffing her shoe.

“I'm so sorry,” Buffy said.

“And you’re so easy!” Willow cried triumphantly, spinning around with a grin so broad her cheeks ached.

Buffy’s mouth opened and closed over and over again like she was a fish flopping on the shore. As she gaped her cheeks grew more and more flushed. Willow felt a nervous stir in her belly. What if she’d pushed the slayer too far?

The best friends opened their mouths simultaneously, but before they could speak, Tara was standing in between them, arms held out to keep them from moving.

“N-nobody say anything,” she said softly, a wry smile curving her lips. “I don’t think I can handle another round of the ‘I’m mad but I’m really not’ game. So how about we all agree that you’re both m-masters of trickery and leave it at that?”

“Can we be mistresses instead of masters?” Willow asked.

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed, nodding. “Mistresses are alluring and mysterious.”

“And girls,” Willow supplied.

“Yeah and girls,” Buffy echoed.

“Mistresses it is then,” Tara said.

She laughed and Willow and Buffy were swept up as well. The three girls stood laughing under the streetlights until Willow’s belly was sore. She straightened, groaning, rubbing her stomach. Buffy was hugging herself, muttering about how laughter shouldn’t really give that ‘punched in the stomach’ feeling. And Tara was still chuckling away, watching them with that wonderful half-smile. Built for joy, Willow thought, and was amazed at her girl. Despite everything, it’s part of her essence, her DNA. Joyful soul. Willow grabbed Tara’s hand and leaned in to press a soft kiss to her cheek.

“Love you,” she murmured.

Tara kissed the tip of her nose. “Love being loved, love you more every second.”

“As cutie-cute as you two are,” Buffy said, blushing, “We better keep moving. I’d rather not have another vampy adventure tonight.”

“And it’s g-getting late,” Tara said wistfully, giving Willow’s hand a squeeze. “I better head back to Giles’ house. I don’t want to be a b-bother, you know, keep him from getting his rest?”

Willow stayed glued to the spot, clinging to Tara’s hand. They were all standing together on the corner of a four-way interchange that was well lit, and, of course, manicured in true Sunnydale ‘covering up the horror’ style. But for Willow there were only two paths, one that would bring Tara home with her, to snuggles and smoochies, and one that would take her away. Away to Giles, it was true, but still a solitary path in the dark, one that would leave them both lonely. She wanted to say screw Sheila. She wanted to be the rebel who didn’t care about the prying eyes of her neighbor or her parents’ disappointment. Willow opened her mouth to tell Tara her parents were gone, to invite her home, but then closed her mouth again.

“I know,” Tara murmured, leaning her head against Willow’s. “I’m going to miss you too. Try and have a good night with your folks, and we’ll be together in the morning.”

Willow didn’t answer. She could feel tears prickling at the corners of her eyes. Tara was just so sweet, so wonderful, trying to comfort her. But if she knew, Willow thought.

“I’ll be safe, I have my trusty steed.” She held up her skateboard. Willow still couldn’t speak; she knew her voice would be thick, heavy with tears. “I’ll even make pancakes again,” Tara said softly. Willow could feel the lightest brush on her cheek as her girlfriend’s lips curved in smile.

“Yay, pancakes!” Buffy cried.

Tara chuckled in Willow’s ear, and Willow turned to see her girlfriend grinning broadly.

“I’m so sorry,” Buffy groaned. “It’s the slayer hearing, it makes me all with the eavesdropping…and what are eaves and why am I dropping them?”

Tara’s sweet laughter pealed through the air like a bell.

“I love you, I’ll miss you, I love you,” Willow breathed, swept up again in the wonder of her girl. Tomorrow she would tell Tara about Sheila’s new rule, but for tonight, she would let her angel, her mermaid, surf back to Giles’ and hope the girl would have a peaceful night’s rest. Tonight there would be no woe for her happy, prize-winning girl.

“Get my girl h-home, safe for me, Buffy,” Tara said, looking at the little slayer with a kind smile. She leaned forward and brushed her lips against Willow’s cheek again—whisper soft. “Goodnight love.”

Tara took a step back and laid her board on the ground. As she stepped up on it, Willow took a stumbling step forward. Come home with me, my parents are gone. Come home with me, come home with me and share my bed. And that even sounded dirty in my own head, Willow thought, trying not to blush. Come home with me, I wanna wake up in your arms. But the thoughts were her own, she didn’t reach out, didn’t share them in Tara’s mind. Willow stared up at her love, the beautiful blonde smiling down at her from the skateboard, and clasped her hands together.

“Will you call me when you get home?” Willow asked plaintively.

“Of course I will, make sure the ringer downstairs is off so I don’t bother your folks,” Tara replied.

Willow just nodded.

“Night, Buffy,” Tara said, never taking her eyes off of Willow. I love you rosy girl, she mouthed silently.

Willow dimly heard Buffy murmur goodnight, sounding wry and amused, but she couldn’t take her eyes off of Tara. The blonde gave one long, languid kick that sent her sailing off down the street toward Giles’ place. Willow was about to call out to her, to tell her to be careful, when Tara turned on the board, rolling backward down the street as she had on the night they met, blowing kisses. Willow pressed her hand to her lips and blew a kiss back, and laughed when Tara mimed snatching it from the air, pressing to her cheek, her lips, finally to her heart. She stood on her tiptoes and waved to Tara, until Tara gave one last wave in return and spun back around, kicking off into the night.

Willow watched until her view of Tara was lost to the darkness, but didn’t move, just stared off down the street. A hand gripped her shoulder and she gave a loud squeal, turning to find Buffy standing behind her.

“Hey Will,” Buffy said with a little smile. “I was gonna say sorry for scaring you but I don’t think we should start that game up again, especially since there’s no Tara around to bring us to our senses.” Willow returned Buffy’s grin and nodded. “You ready to head home?”

“Yeah,” Willow said sadly.

Tara had done it to be sweet, turning to wave to her as she sailed away. As Willow’s heart was warmed, at the same time she felt a little stab of sorrow, thinking of the days she’d spent pining over Tara, back when she was Willow’s mystery girl, until they were reunited that night outside the Bronze. Being away from Tara hurt, it was a physical ache that was eased by the knowledge that they could spend extra time together when Willow’s parents were out of town. But now, because of her mother, that wasn’t going to happen anymore.

“Home,” Willow said hollowly, and a tear slipped down her cheek.

“Hey,” Buffy said tentatively, squeezing Willow’s shoulder. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” Willow replied, giving a little shrug. Buffy was watching her with such concern that she felt a little burst of guilt. “No,” she admitted.

“Aw,” Buffy said, smiling at her best friend as she reached out and pretending to land a light punch on her chin. “Who would’ve guessed that my shy little friend, Miss Willow Rosenberg, would turn out to be such a complete and total romantic?”

“Buffy,” Willow whined, smiling even as she fought tears.

“Come on,” Buffy replied, lying and arm around Willow’s shoulder and steering her off down the road toward home. “You’ll get to see her tomorrow, and she’ll make us all pancakes, and everything will be better.”

“I guess so,” Willow replied. A cool breeze kicked up around them, set her hair tickling against her cheek. Willow let herself imagine, just for a moment, that it was Tara’s hair, not her own. She looked up at the sky, watching thin bands of cloud pushed out toward the sea, revealing the stars.

“You really have it bad, don’t you?” Buffy asked.

There was no teasing in her tone, no mirth. Willow turned to look at her best friend and saw that Buffy was watching the sky too, looking thoughtful.

“I love her,” Willow replied simply.

“I know you do,” Buffy said, her voice quiet, suddenly serious, as if she didn’t want to break the spell of the breeze and the clouds and the sky. “She loves you too, you know, Will? A lot. You should see how she looks at you, how she watches you. It’s…”

She trailed off and Willow wondered what Buffy was thinking. She and Xander had been so wonderful about her coming out, so supportive, more than she ever could’ve dreamed. But it was very, very new, a new Willow really, that they were getting to know. Part of her still worried that her friends would freak.

“It’s a beautiful thing,” Buffy said finally. “I’m really happy for you, Will.”

The redhead stopped in her tracks and threw her arms around Buffy, pulling the slayer close. “Thank you,” she murmured. “Thank you for being my best friend, and for accepting me.”

“Of course, Will,” Buffy replied, her voice choked with emotion. “You’re like my sister, you know? I love you.”

“Love you too, Buff.” Willow gave her best friend one more squeeze and then they started walking again, watching the sky.

They walked along in silence until they reached Willow’s house. The entire neighborhood was quiet at such a late hour, but her house was the only one without any sign of life, even the porch light was dark.

“Thanks for walking me home, Buffy,” Willow said softly, stepping onto the rough cement of her parents’ driveway.

“Sure,” Buffy nodded, sounding distracted. “Uh, Will?” She asked.

“Yeah Buff?”

“Where’s your Dad’s car? I thought he didn’t park it in the garage because the air gets stale and eats the paint or something?”

“My mom told him about some article where they link garages to oxidation,” Willow said, forcing a note of dismissal into her voice. “I told him he should check repeat studies, but he always listens to mom.”

“So they’re out then?”

“Uh…yeah,” Willow replied.

“And when are they coming back?” Buffy asked, stressing the ‘when’.

“Tonight?” Willow answered hopefully.

Buffy walked around to face Willow, planting her hands on her hips. “You’re a terrible liar, and you know you’re a terrible liar. What I don’t get, though, is why are you making with the lies in the first place? What’s up?”

Willow sighed, rubbing her hands over her face. “My parents got accepted to some conference in Boston, and they won’t be back till Tuesday.”

Buffy’s face immediately brightened. “Oh, well that’s cool, right? Because no parents means no questions and Tara can come and stay…” Buffy trailed off and her face fell, brow furrowing with confusion. “Except that you let Tara go to Giles’…and I don’t get it.”

“Yeah, I don’t either,” Willow replied, chuckling weakly. “I never have understood my mother.”

“Okay, now I’m really lost.”

Willow sat down on the edge of the sidewalk, hugging her legs with her chin on her knees. She felt like she was going to cry again, and she didn’t want to, not after she’d had such a wonderful, no, such an absolutely, earth-shatteringly amazing, night with Tara.

“Help me out here, Will,” Buffy said, settling down on the ground next to her.

“One of our nosey neighbors saw Tara and I going in and out while the ‘rents were gone,” Willow explained. “My mom assumed it was you staying the night, and told me that if I get lonely while they’re gone, I have to stay at your house. I can’t have anyone over without adult supervision.”

Buffy mirrored Willow’s pose, pulling her knees up under her chin. “Well that’s craptastic,” she replied.

“To put it mildly.” Willow felt another wave of sorrow wash over her. “I don’t know how to tell Tara. Or if I even should tell Tara. She’s only got a few more days with Giles, so what happens then? Where will she go if she can’t stay with me?”

“She’ll stay with me,” Buffy said firmly. “I’ll pout at my mom for a day straight if I have to. And that’s exactly where you’re staying tonight. Come on,” she said, standing and pulling Willow to her feet. “Slumber party at the Summers house.”

Willow felt a little surge of happiness at the thought, but then shook her head. “I can’t go, Buffy.”

“But your mom said—”

“I know,” Willow replied, giving Buffy’s hand a little squeeze. “But I can’t, Tara’s gonna call. She’ll be worried if I don’t answer.”

Buffy smiled. “Just call her and tell her…” she trailed off and the smile vanished. “And that would be the opposite of you not wanting to tell Tara.”

“It would indeed,” Willow nodded. “But thanks for offering, Buffy.” The slender redhead looked up at her house and sighed. “It’s not like it’ll be the first time I’ve spent the night alone at home.”

Buffy didn't say anything, just fidgeted for a moment. With a little shrug she pulled Willow into her arms.

“I better head home, you know Mom—she’ll be watching the time like a hawk even though we’re on Thanksgiving break.” Buffy took a deep breath and let it back out again with a long sigh. “I’m sorry you’ll be lonely, Will.”

Willow felt her eyes well with tears again. “Okay, I’ll see you in the morning. Buffy,” she said softly. “Don’t say anything to Tara, I’ll tell her tomorrow, I promise.”

“I won’t,” Buffy agreed, releasing Willow and taking a step back toward the street. “But you really should tell her, Willow. Tara will understand.”

“Tomorrow,” Willow agreed, wringing her hands. “I’ll see you in the morning, okay?” Buffy nodded, still looking serious. “I’ll try not to be so early, and no plotting against you with your mom,” she teased.

Buffy smiled. “If we’re getting pancakes you can wake me up as early as you want, Willster.”

“Just remember that tomorrow.”

“I will,” Buffy laughed. She waved her hands at Willow. “Now in with you, I have to make sure you’re all safe and sound before I take off or Tara will float me into orbit.”

“She won’t float you,” Willow groaned, even as she giggled. “Good night, Buffy.” She turned and began walking toward her front door, pausing on the stoop and looking back at her best friend. “Be careful going home, and thanks.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Buffy grinned. “I'm awesome, but no one will ever know because my mom is going to kill me for missing curfew. Inside, door locked, safe Willow!” She ordered.

“Here I go,” Willow replied.

She unlocked the door and walked inside, flipping on the living room light with one had as she waved goodbye to Buffy with the other. The slayer waved in return. When Willow closed the door and locked it she moved to the window, watching her friend run off into the night.

“I'm home,” Willow called to the empty house, turning away from the night. “Did you miss me?” There was, of course, no answer. “That’s what I thought,” she murmured, and trudged up the stairs to her bedroom. She left the light on so the house wouldn’t feel so empty.

“This is not creepy,” Willow sang to herself as she climbed, soft and slightly off-key, as the wind outside set the house to creaking and settling. “I’ve been home alone a million times.”

Despite what she considered to be a very soothing refrain, Willow’s body wouldn’t listen to her brain. She still felt nervous, tremble-y, leaving behind the bright light of the living room for the darkened stairs. As soon as she reached the landing she flicked on the stairwell light and walked toward her bedroom. Punishment for leaving me home yet again, and for depriving me of smoochies, Willow though sourly. Let’s see how you like next month’s light bill.

She turned on her bedroom light before she walked into the room, sliding her hand along the wall to feel for the switch wither her fingertips. The soft lamplight brightened the room but Willow sighed. All she could see was home empty it was. She walked slowly across the room, her feet dragging on the floor, till she reached her desk. Her fish darted around their bowl, little blurs of color in the water.

“Hey guys,” Willow said softly. “I would say you’re glad to see me, but I know that’s just me being all anthropomorphic because I’m lonely and I wish that someone missed me.”

She measured food carefully into the palm of her hand and put the bottle down, pinching flakes in her free hand to fall lightly into the bowl. “Tara misses me, and I miss her.” Willow paused and shook her head, dusting off the clinging flakes on her palm into the water.

The fish slowed, circling in larger, more leisurely arcs. “Look at you guys, all relaxed and happy. You missed the food even if you didn’t miss me, huh?”

Willow changed into her pajamas and brushed her teeth, trying to think like her fish, slow and sated. She walked back to her bedroom, and sat on the end of her bed. The wind had died down and so the house was still, perfectly quiet, and that just made her solitude worse somehow. Tara still hadn’t called. Had she forgotten? Had she fallen asleep? Willow plucked at the edge of her nightshirt, biting her lip. She’d just lie down. She would wait. If Tara called—a little grin curved Willow’s mouth at the thought. If Tara called, then they would talk, and maybe she’d convince her lovely girl to sing her to sleep. And if she didn’t, Willow winced at the thought. If she didn’t, Willow would let herself sleep, and it would be morning. And I’ll get to see my girl.

Willow used her legs to push backward on the bed, falling back onto her pillows without a sound. She lay there for a moment, willing her active brain to quiet, but then sat up like she’d been shocked and then leapt out of the bed. Feeling a hot prickle of guilt, Willow looked down the stairs at the lights blazing in the house and closed her door on the sight. She turned the lock, checking the door handle twice to make sure the lock held. Satisfied, she crawled back into the bed.

She tried lying curled on her side, but the small of her back began to ache, so Willow turned onto her back. The Tara pillow was cool under Willow’s arm. She pulled it close and breathed in, but there was no hint of the honeysuckle scent of her girl. Willow sat up and pulled the failed pillow into her lap.

“Stupid mom with her stupid rules,” she grumbled, punching at her pillow to fluff it and then throwing herself flat on her back on the bed. “No Tara to give me snuggles and smoochies so I can sleep. It’s just stupid.”

Tara. Willow thought of the firm, warm grip of the blonde’s hand as she’d pulled Willow into the bathroom. The soft half-smile, the shock and sudden pulse of desire as Tara had pushed her up against the wall. Tara, Willow thought. Unconsciously, her hands slipped up to her nightshirt, teasing at the buttons, slipping them open slowly as she remembered the feeling of Tara’s lips on her neck, her collarbone, the insistent warmth of the girl’s nimble fingers on her chest.

Willow gave a little gasp at the feeling of her own warm hands sliding up her stomach. Her nightshirt was completely open now, exposing her chest to the air. She felt her nipples harden instantly, felt an ache that spread from her mouth to the apex of her thighs. Goosebumps spread over Willow’s skin as she moved her hands up in down in long, lazy sweeps, brushing the underside of her breasts with each pass. She’d never touched herself before, but thoughts of Tara let her abandon nerves, vanquished the stab of guilt that plagued her when she thought of her mother’s pronouncement. Another pass and she allowed her hands to brush up the sensitive skin of her breast, the barest contact over her nipples tearing a low moan from Willow’s throat. She closed her eyes and imagined that Tara was straddling her waist, imagined that it was her strong, warm hands caressing here, tugging gently there.

“Tara,” she murmured.

There was a tension building in her belly as she teased her own nipples. Willow’s breath was coming in little gasping bursts and she gave her right nipple a particularly strong tug, imagining Tara’s mouth. Her free hand snaked down to the waist of her pajama bottoms.

No, Willow thought suddenly, sitting bolt upright in bed. No, the first…the first time I feel this, I want it to be Tara. She smiled at the thought of it. Someday, she would…be with Tara. Joy coursed through her at the idea of sharing herself so completely with her love, her soul mate. The thought repeated in her head as she buttoned up her nightshirt, hands trembling with the adrenaline coursing through her body. As if the thought had summoned her love, the phone rang as Willow fastened the last button.

“Tara?” She said, lifting the phone to her ear.

“What would you’ve said if I said no?” Tara laughed softly. “It might’ve been someone calling for your parents.”

“I didn't think of that,” Willow said. She felt a slow blush creep up her cheeks and tried to shrug it off, it wasn’t as if she’d done anything.

“Are you okay?” Tara asked.

“Fine!” Willow squeaked. “Why do you ask?”

“You sound a little breathless,” she replied. When she spoke again her voice was soft, tinged with worry. “Did I wake you? I’m sor—”

“No,” Willow said quickly, her voice echoed in her room and she cringed, knowing how loud her voice must’ve sounded over the line. “No,” she repeated, taking a deep breath. “I wasn’t asleep yet. I was…thinking about you, about tonight.”

There was a long moment of silence. Willow opened her mouth to say something, anything to fill the awkwardness of the moment. Now Tara thinks I’m a perv, she thought miserably.

“You were?” Willow was shocked to hear the smile in Tara’s voice.

“Yeah,” Willow replied softly, feeling shy.

There was another pause, and when Tara spoke again she was so faint Willow couldn't hear her.

“What, baby?” Willow asked.

“I said me too,” Tara admitted. Willow shivered. Her girlfriend’s voice was deep, melodious. “You tasted so sweet, rosy girl.”

A soft groan escaped Willow’s lips and she blushed again, crossing her legs and trying not to squirm. “Tara, you were so wonderful,” she whispered.

“I wish I was there,” Tara replied.

“Me too,” Willow agreed. She imagined Tara hands, her mouth, and felt sweat beading on her forehead. Willow took a deep breath and swallowed thickly. “But we’ll see each other first thing tomorrow, right?”

“First thing,” Tara said, but she sounded hesitant. “Will Buffy and Xander be upset if you wake them up early again?”

“Buffy has made it very clear that anything that leads to her having funny-shape pancakes is acceptable, even mornings.”

“I’m flattered,” Tara laughed.

“You should be. Usually Buffy only gets up early for an apocalypse.”

“I’m double-flattered then,” the blonde replied wryly.

They talked for a few more minutes, discussing what fun the coming day might bring. Soon their conversation was punctuated with soft yawns. Tara told Willow that they should hang up, get some rest, but Willow wasn’t ready to let her girl off the phone just yet.

“Will you sing me to sleep?” Willow asked softly.

“Willow,” Tara giggled.

“No,” she replied earnestly. “Really. I don’t know if I can fall asleep otherwise.”

“Are you all cuddled up?” Tara asked.

The little redhead lay back in the bed, pulling her sheets and blankets up to her chin and snuggling into the pillows.

“I am now,” Willow said.

“Close your eyes,” Tara murmured. Willow closed them; willing herself to breathe deep, breathe slow. “Keep ‘em closed. And remember, you might not be able to see me, but I’m right there with you.”

“I can feel it,” Willow sighed, feeling peaceful for the first time since she’d walked in her parents’ door. “I can feel you with me.”

“I love you, Willow,” Tara replied.

“Love you too,” Willow yawned. And then Tara began to sing.

“You by the light, is the greatest find
In a world full of wrong, you’re the thing that’s right
Finally made it, through the lonely, to the other side.”

Willow was asleep and dreaming before Tara reached the chorus.

Last edited by LonelyTara on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:02 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

ahn, I love this chapter! Love when tara sings ^^

My Heart Draws a Dream
True Colors of Love
A Crazy Little Thing Called Mutation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:31 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Aww. poor Willow. Stupid mom. How could anyone leave her daughter alone all the time. :smash Stupid nosy neighbor.

Willow needs to tell Tara and then they can spend every night at Buffy's. I'm sure Joyce will understand. I bet Sheila wouldn't even notice she's gone.

Can't wait for the next update.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:58 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Yay, an update!!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to continue with these wonderful fics.

This chapter was just delightful, the interaction between Buffy, Willow and Tara was very sweet and funny.

Sheila is such a pain in the butt with her stupid rules that prevent Willow and Tara from spending that much needed extra alone time together.
I really hope a new and permanent living arrangement can be set up for Tara, so that Willow won't feel so lonely and helpless about Tara's situation.

Can't wait for more!!

Laura.

In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
-Anon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next