The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Dance Of The Salamander
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:24 pm 
5. Willowhand

Title: Dance of the Salamander
E-mail: jixers at yahoo.com
Distribution: Any free fanfiction site, just tell me.
Spoilers: Season 6, AKA shark jump
Rating: PG
Pairing: W&T
Disclaimer: I don’t own them and it truly breaks my heart.
Note: We all know how the story from that other guy goes; two witches in love, a gunshot, and Willow falls dead at Tara’s feet. Since this is pens that has to be fixed. Yeah, it’s another getting-Willow-back story.

Warning: Kitten Angst and other dangers!

The Dance Of The Salamander

PROLOGUE

Buffy’s tears no longer came. Tara knew her skirt would be wet when she gently helped Buffy up. The Slayer, for all her strength, was as weak as a kitten. Tara guided Buffy up the stairs to her room. When the witch caught the overwhelming scent of the garlic she shook her head.

This is as much my fault as anyone’s, Tara thought bitterly.

“Are you g-going to be all right?” Tara asked softly.

Buffy nodded so dispiritedly Tara knew what she had to do.

“Get out of those clothes and get into bed,” Tara ordered. “I’ll watch over you tonight.”

“But…” Buffy started even though she looked gratefully at Tara.

“No buts,” Tara said firmly.

The witch closed her eyes and touched her power. For the Slayer’s sake she let a few lights gleam in the flow. It hurt to hide herself from Willow and Dawn, but tonight Buffy needed to know she was safe and cared for. As the Slayer undressed Buffy felt surprise at her lack of shyness.

Well of course, she realized. It’s Tara. She’s safe.

Buffy looked over and smiled at the witch’s yawn. She could hear Tara singing something very softly. For the first time in months Buffy knew she wasn’t alone. A few moments later she was in bed and asleep. For the first part of the night, unlike every night since she had come back, there were only dreams and not nightmares. Then the older dream came…

She was fourteen, the summer before Merrick and vampires and her world being turned upside down. LA was having one of its rare but violent lightening storms. One close strike made her squeal. Her mother called to her and Buffy got out of her bed and into her mother’s in seconds. The night wasn’t frightening anymore…

In the morning Buffy awoke to see Tara stretching in her clothes from last night. The clock read 6:02 in large red numbers. Buffy leaned up on one arm sleepily.

“Are you going to be all right?” Tara asked softly.

“Yeah,” Buffy sighed. “Thanks Tara.”

Chapter One

May 7 2002

“Hey, clothes,” Willow said with a slow sexy smile.

“Better not get used to them,” Tara replied with a look that made Willow’s heart race.

“Hmm, yes ma’am,” Willow answered as she reached for Tara’s belt loop and pulled her close.

“Mmmm…Xander!” Tara said brightly.

“Okay, not quite the response I was fishing for,” Willow said with an almost pout that didn’t last as she turned to her dresser.

“No, he’s here,” Tara said looking out the window as Xander and Buffy met below.

“Think they’re making up?” Willow asked hopefully.

“I hope so,” Tara smiled with a tilt of her head. “That’s the best part.”

With that the redhead found herself grabbed lightly and pulled into a swirl that ended with Tara holding her and smiling at her. Willow lost herself in those blue eyes. Then there was a sharp crack and Willow stumbled forward into Tara. She never got there.

===========================================================

“Willow?” Tara called out with a tremor in her voice. The joyous presence of her lover had simply vanished in an instant. Tara’s next sound was a wordless cry as she held onto the redhead’s limp form. Willow’s body sagged in Tara’s arms and Tara couldn’t hold them both up. Tara tried to ease her lover’s body to the floor, protecting the shell of her love’s soul. As they sprawled to a stop Tara finally found her voice.

“Honey?” she whispered. “Baby? Willow, come back! Come back to me…Willow? Willow! WILLOOWWW!!”

Tara felt nothing of her lover at all. Tara cradled what had been Willow in her arms and started to rock back and forth crooning softly for a moment. Then Tara’s tears began to flow and she could not stop them.

“This is wrong!” she said through her tears. Tara leaned forward and kissed Willow’s pale forehead. “I will find you, love.”

Xander watched in shock as the ambulance pulled away. He turned to the Summers house and darted inside. Willow would know what to do. He took the stairs three at a time.

“Will!” he shouted as he reached the door. “Buffy’s been shot!”

“Buffy?” Tara’s voice asked through the door.

“Yeah and it’s bad…” Xander said as he opened the door hoping he wasn’t interrupting something.

Xander stopped and stared. Willow’s still, pale form was in Tara’s arms. The blonde witch’s arms and lap were covered with blood. Tara looked at Xander with eyes that were almost sane.

“Stay with her,” Tara said. “I’ll go help Buffy.”

Then she bent down and kissed Willow as she brushed a lock of red hair from the closed eyes.

“I’ve got to help Buffy now, love,” Tara said gently. “I’ll find you.”

Tara stood up and then looked at her hands and frowned.

“Messy,” she said with a frown.

“How?” Xander finally managed to say.

“I don’t know,” Tara said with a hint of anger. “She’s just gone.”

“Warren…Warren shot Buffy,” Xander said tightly looking at the hole in the window. “One of the bullets must have-”

“No,” Tara said shaking her head. “She was gone too fast.”

“What?” Xander asked.

“I…I’ll...later,” Tara said tiredly. “I’ve got to help Buffy.”

With that Tara gestured. Blue light flared everywhere Willow’s blood had been. She picked up her coat and headed for the door. Tara looked back at Xander.

“Don’t let Dawn see her like this,” Tara said calmly. “She wouldn’t understand.”

Xander walked woodenly to the phone and called 911. Then he went back and sat next to his friend. He leaned forward with his face in his hands and wept brokenly.

Lilah Morgan looked up with narrowed eyes at the minor wizard Wolfram and Hart employed to monitor magic in the Southern California region. He was grinning even as he held a tissue to his bleeding nose.

“This had better be good,” she said curtly. “We’re under attack from somebody, probably somebody without a pulse.”

“It’s not Angel,” the wizard said surely.

“How do you know that?” Lilah asked tightly.

“They took Records out on a stretcher along with the monitor covering for me,” he replied.

“What were you doing…Danny?” Lilah said looking at the man’s picture on her monitor where she had quietly pulled up his file.

“I got a fragment of the Vulmenoff Codex from this guy in Maintenance,” Danny said quickly.

“Planning a trip to the track?” the lawyer asked with a small smile.

“Um, yeah,” Danny said worriedly. “But what was weird was just as I got this screaming headache the fragment just disappeared. Prophecy one minute, dust the next.”

“But-”

“I know!” he hissed. “I know. Thrice warded and written in the blood of the Seer himself. It can’t be but it’s gone along with at least half the other prophecies in the vault.”

“What happened?”

“I don’t now,” the wizard admitted. “But I was monitoring the Hellmouth up in Sunnydale and the Grand Master of Horticulture Magic in Lompoc before I slipped out and was still in tune to the area.”

“And you came to me because?” Lilah asked carefully.

“I want a piece of this,” the wizard said urgently. “Anything that can undo prophecies has got have power to burn!”

“You know, if these prophecies are unraveling…” Lilah thought out loud.

“There’s another seer even more powerful than the ones we know,” Danny finished. “One who’s got visions that can actually make the future.”

“Now that would be an asset to the firm,” Lilah mused. “Do a casting on the known paths of power. And Danny...”

“Yes, ma’am?”

“Let’s keep this between us for now,” the lawyer suggested in a tone that made the young man feel a chill.

“Yes, ma’am!”

Dr. Georgia Watson looked at her future. She was a resident beginning her Child Psychology rotation and had been assigned to observe the Pediatric Oncology patients. She looked at the drawings of several children. One patient’s drawing stopped her. She took the drawing with her to find Lucinda Johnson. She found the girl in her room drawing intently. According to the chart she was four years old and her Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia was responding well to standard treatments. Dr. Watson was about to introduce herself when the girl looked at her and smiled.

“Hi Dr. Watson,” Lucinda said shyly.

“You read my name tag?”

“Yeah,” the little girl smiled.

“Do you draw a lot, Lucinda?”

“Only the stories I see.”

“What is this story?” Georgia asked holding out the drawing. “Why is everyone crying?”

And all of the figures were crying, even the small black and white cat.

Lucinda pointed at the female figure with red crayon hair and green marker eyes.

“She went away from all of them and they want her to come back.”

“What’s this?” Dr. Watson asked pointing to a ball of orange and red.

“That’s Betty. She’s sad too.”

Dr. Watson saw one carefully rolled up drawing. She reached for it.

“Not that one,” Lucinda said firmly.

“Why?” Georgia asked.

“That comes at the end of the story.”

Buffy was only alive because she was a Slayer. Her aorta was being cut repeatedly as her healing tried to work by one of the bullets while another kept collapsing her right lung. The damage was too extensive for her healing to take hold and finish. With each failure she was growing weaker. The surgical techs and nurses who were prepping her couldn’t believe she could still be alive.

Cold… Buffy thought as the activity around her faded from her notice. So cold…

Each of the techs and nurses turned away from the wounded girl and hurried off on an urgent errand to help save their patient. The surgeon coming into the room stopped and hurried out again. Tara came into the surgical wing. She stopped and gestured at the rack of scrubs and covers. They covered her and her clothes settled neatly on the rack marked visitors as she passed the sign that insisted all persons beyond the desk had to be in surgical attire. She stood beside Buffy.

“Buffy, Willow needs you,” Tara said urgently. “She’s gone.”

Willow? Buffy thought. Gone?

Buffy’s mind sent the signals almost by reflex as she tried to get up and ask what had happened. Tara placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Let me fix this first,” Tara said gently.

The bullets slipped out of the Slayer. Then Tara touched Buffy’s wounds and opened her power without thinking. For the first time Tara was able to touch all the power connected with the life around her. Buffy gasped as the pain receded. The nurses and techs hurried back into the room followed by surgeons and the anesthesiologist. Tara held up her hands.

“The operation was a success,” she said softly. “Each of you did better work than you have ever done before. She’s in the ICU now and another team will follow her. The paperwork is done and you need to get things cleaned up. Good work.”

Buffy looked at the team as they broke up to their respective post- operative tasks without seeing her. Tara frowned at the ruins of her clothes. The witch turned and picked up a set of scrubs and pointed Buffy towards the staff shower.

“Sorry about your top,” Tara said.

“Tara, what happened to Willow?” Buffy asked.

“She’s-oh, God!” Tara wailed as she crumbled before Buffy’s eyes and began to cry. “One of Warren’s bullets hit her and then she disappeared and I can’t find her and…”

“Willow?” Buffy whispered as she took Tara in her arms. “No, no, no…”

“I’ve only got one chance to save her,” Tara said brokenly. “I’ve got to be strong. I’ve got to find her.”

“Tara,” Buffy started gently. “If-if she’s been shot-”

“That’s not it,” Tara said quickly. “Her-her essence, her being was gone. She didn’t just die, Buffy. She was taken. I’ve got to find her.”

“If you can find her can you save her life?” Buffy asked in a small voice.

“Yes,” a soft voice answered. “But there is a price.”

Tara and Buffy looked at a small flickering flame in the air of the women’s showers.

Xander signed the forms presented to him by the coroner’s assistant. Willow’s body was wheeled out of the bedroom. Downstairs he heard screaming.

“Dawn,” he said feeling old beyond counting.

Xander headed for the door.

“What is Betty, Lucinda?”

“She’s a saladmanner,” Lucinda said with a frown of concentration.

“Saladmanner?”

“Salamander,” Tara said suspiciously.

“Yes, witch,” the flame replied.

Now Buffy could see a small lizard with red and orange scales that rippled in the heat.

“Why should I trust a salamander?” Tara asked with a cautious politeness. “Especially now?”

“I too have lost my mate,” the creature replied. “Stolen by one of you.”

“Us?” Buffy asked.

“Two legs, humans,” the Salamander replied. “The ones who summon us to trap us for our fire, or kill us for their spells. Why should I trust you, human?”

“I do not coerce anyone,” Tara said quickly. “Especially not an elemental creature as tricky as a salamander.”

“Of course we’re tricky!” the Salamander replied with some heat. “All of you constantly using our names to bind us!”

“Um, I don’t do magic, Mister or Ms Salamander,” Buffy started hesitantly.

“It’s Ms,” the Salamander answered shortly. “This is the women’s shower after all.”

“Okay,” Buffy said trying to sound diplomatic. “Tara would never do anything against a good creature’s will. I know that.”

“I am Tara Maclay,” Tara said meeting the red eyes of the Salamander.

“Very well, witch,” the fiery creature replied. “I’m…Betty.”

“I’m Buffy Summers,” the Slayer said unsurely.

“A pleasure Miss Summers,” Betty said with a nod. “Your work against those low-life vampires is well known.”

“Uh, thank you, Betty,” Buffy said with surprise.

“How can you help Willow?” Tara asked cautiously.

“I can make her body anew from ashes,” Betty replied. “But we must hurry. They take her to the place of confirming death. They will use steel on her body. Then only her soul will remain.”

Tara felt her breath get short and tears filled her vision. Buffy slipped an arm around her shoulders.

“My apologies for my words, witch,” Betty said in a softer tone. “I have known grief as well. My mate was taken from my side while still alive.”

“That almost sounds worse,” Tara admitted through her tears.

“I looked into the eyes that loved me and saw nothing,” Betty said tiredly. “I could not hold my love. The sorcerer was too strong.”

“The one who took Willow?” Buffy asked.

“The one that may have even set the spell that brought the bullet to her heart,” the salamander answered.

“Your mate’s freedom is your price?” Tara asked.

“Freedom for the other half of my soul,” Betty said with a nod.

“Done,” Tara said. “Who took her?”

Willow looked out of the red windows and tried to understand where she was. All around her there were walls made of a dark red gem she couldn’t identify. Suddenly a face filled her vision.

“Hello, Strawberry,” Rack said with a cruel smile.

Post subject: Re: Dance Of The Salamander
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:57 pm 
23. Volumey Text

f1rst post :party

Well this is an interesting start to the story. Willow's soul has been taken by Rack for some unknown nefarious purposes. He's also captured a salamander's soul.

Then theres Lucinda, who seems to not only be able to predict the future but actually to rewrite it. Given those abilities it's no wonder Wolfram and hart are interested in her.

I wonder what's in that final picture. I just hope that Lucinda's a member of the Kitten board, since then we could be sure she's drawn something nice for Willow and Tara

As always I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:05 pm 
2. Floating Rose

This is a fascinating start. I love the twist on canon, especially power!Tara. Please do continue. And why does a part of me fear Lucinda? Wow. Saladmanner... Hehehe...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:46 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Very,v ery full of possibilities; Iin this case Willow either wasn't killed by the shot or wasn't shot, I guess the first one, and I'm intrigued. (I've played with the idea of Willow being the one killed by Warren instead of Tara, but the best I can do with it is have the two survivors share a night at an interdiemnsional tavern. This, on the other hand, looks good.)

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:33 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Oh joy, oh bliss! A new Jixer story to grace Pens. Once again you're putting your own unique twist on the events of canon.

I'm assuming the prologue is immediately post-"Dead things." It gives me the sense that this Tara is more powerful, and more ready to use her power, than in canon. This also carries through in chapter 1, as she calls on her power several times in ways that she never did in the series. Yet so differently from out-of-control magic Willow. One gets the impression that all of Tara's magic is of the light. Even when she manipulates people's memories, she affirms and encourages them.

There are, as I've come to expect, many factors complicating the quest to save Willow. Is Lucinda truly creating this story, or simply "reporting" it? What role will W&H play? And a saladmanner named Betty, also looking for a stolen mate.

You've made my day with opening for us another book in your library. Thanks, Jixer.

Russ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:40 pm 
3. Flaming O

this is a very engrossing story. :bow
more please and soon

hahler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:20 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Oh, Jixer...once again, you've set up several elements, some of whose goals are not immediately apparent. Nice balance in weaving them all so that the reader has a sense of mystery but can also follow along. There's also a wonderful combination of action and emotion, too--difficult, considering that so much of such potency has just happened. Brilliant touch, by the way, to have Dawn's reaction be shown only by the one line, that happened off-screen.

Oh, and don't I love me some humor...A salamander named Betty, who curtly points out that it's the women's shower...Cracked me up, including this line:
Quote:
"A pleasure, Miss Summers," Betty said with a nod.
For some reason I just loved that..

And that SOB Rack...Why am I not surprised he's involved in something so incredibly heinous?

I'm looking forward to more.
Mary

Last edited by AntigoneUnbound on Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:48 pm 
3. Flaming O

Jixer, seeing a W/T fic with the word "Salamander" in the title is what drew me to this story, and I'm anxious to see how all the different storylines converge. Perhaps Betty and Tara will find Lucinda in the hospital and get her to save Willow? And, yknow, find some nasty end for Rack cuz that would be quite fitting.

Anyway, just wanted to letcha know this story caught my eye and I'll be on the lookout for an update soon!

Toodles, take care

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:46 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Jixer, hi.
You've done a great set up with this ... makes me anticipate a good story. So many things to think about in here, and your characters come across so well. Although Tara seems to be a super-charged witch, or is that because her Willow needs her to be?

I've been trying to remember where else I've seen Salamanders used in magical fiction, and by whom, without luck. Guess I'll try Google. Betty *giggle* is a great name for a Salamander.

Looking forward to more.

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:24 am 
10. Troll Hammer

can't wait to find out more about this story... i'm totally intrigued!

great start! you so piqued my interest!

more soon please! :bounce :bounce

ces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:32 am 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

This darn working for a living thing just isn't working as well as it does on TV.

justin- I hope you've recovered from the yellow jersey ceremony by now, and don't worry about the pictures! I hope the middle parts stay interesting until we get to that final drawing. As for where I'm taking this tale, you may have noticed the seats have been extra padded and the restraints are good working order.

Ressick- Oh, I must continue. This story has been slumping around and sighing for so long I have to get it written. Don't worry, Lucinda's just a four year old who can change the world, she's not in Congress.

DaddyCatAlso- Willow's body did stop the bullet, but the how and the why has yet to be explained. And some of those possibilities may be bumpy.

russ-Yep, it was the episode that made me sure those 'dead Tara' rumors were wrong. Oh well.

Tara's power was never really explored in the series, and we've all made some assumptions about that. So I'm hoping to show a different Tara, and yet the same Tara both. As for your questions, I hope to provide answers in a timely manner. Now if I could just get that silly reality thing fixed...

hahler- Thank you. You just can't go wrong with beautiful witches and fiery lizards. The update will go up next and Chapter Three by next Tuesday is the current plan.

Antigone Unbound- Following up is going to be the hard part. I hope I can do justice to the possibilities that exist. t helps to have a proper lady like Betty along.

And again I'm using Rack, because I thought he just had so much villein potential. Another case of the actor enhancing the role.

histchic- I understand, salamander is just one of those neat words! I get the feeling few people are looking forward to Tara talking Rack into giving up evil and teaching aroma therapy instead. Oh well. Looks like I'm doing some editing.

spells42- I hope to meet your expectations! Your observation about being as strong as needed is very perceptive.

tarebear- I hope to keep the pique levels high! And since you asked...

Thanks everyone. Now on to the update.

Jixer

Post subject: Dance Of The Salamander-Chapter Two
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:41 am 
5. Willowhand

Dance Of The Salamander
Chapter Two

“Why aren’t we getting more strange looks?” Buffy asked as they snuck down the hallway.

“Scrubs are pretty well accepted as a uniform,” Tara replied.

“I believe she’s referring to me,” Betty said from inside her floating ball of fire.

“Oh,” Tara said nodding. “Salamanders are elementals.”

“I can think of a whole bunch of words that are almost what you said, but they don’t fit,” Buffy frowned.

“Betty is an elemental creature, a living essence of one of the classic elements,” Tara explained. “Like a dryad is for wood or a nymph for water.”

“Which is big on the magic scale,” Buffy said thoughtfully.

“We have been hunted for years beyond counting for our powers,” Betty replied. “We learn to hide as a matter of course. You see me because I am not hiding from you.”

“Should you be around medical gases?” Tara asked looking at the ‘No Smoking’ signs.

“Not an issue outside the sphere,” Betty explained. “And I try to leave no smoke. Filthy habit. Rotten combustion too.”

Buffy and Tara arrived at a waiting room that was too familiar. Buffy’s breath became shallow and she swallowed several times. Betty looked at her and drifted to Tara.

“Problem?” the salamander whispered.

“Her mother, last year,” Tara started.

“I understand,” Betty said in respectful tone.

Tara put her hand on Buffy’s shoulder. The Slayer seemed to calm with her touch. Buffy turned around with tears forming in her eyes.

“I’m sorry, Tara,” Buffy said. “Mom, and now…”

“Willow,” Tara whispered.

Suddenly the room was closing in on the witch. There was no air. Tara’s hand on Buffy’s shoulder became a claw as she desperately sought a way out, a way home. Buffy stared at the doors leading to the morgue, too lost in her own pain to respond.

“Tara Maclay!” Betty howled with the power of a firestorm. “Buffy Summers!”

The two humans shook themselves and tried to dry their eyes.

“Concentrate girls,” Betty implored them. “We can stop this latest grief, but only if we work together.”

“W-What do w-w-we need to do?” Tara asked, struggling for control.

“First, have hope,” Betty said with a desperate intensity. “We need to think. Tara, where was Willow when she was killed?”

“At Buffy’s house, in…our room,” Tara said clenching her hands and then looking at them. “There was so much blood.”

Buffy put her arm around Tara’s shoulders and kept her silence. Betty flew around Tara quickly.

“There is no trace of blood upon you,” the salamander said.

“I-I made myself clean,” Tara said distantly. “I think I used magic.”

“That would explain your aura,” Betty nodded. Then she turned to Buffy. “Where is your home?”

“1630 Revello,” Buffy answered automatically.

“Then after this is finished I will go there, by your permission,” Betty said formally. “I must warn you there may be some damage.”

“Burn the place down if you have to,” Buffy said too calmly. “Just bring back Willow.”

“It will take all of us,” Betty said with a sigh. “You may not want to be here. I should be able to do what needs to be done on my own.”

“No,” Tara said firmly. “We’ll stay just in case.”

Betty nodded and floated to the doors to the hall that led to the morgue. She slipped through as a tech wheeled out an empty cart.

“Buffy?” Xander asked behind them. “Tara?”

The two women turned. Xander shambled up to them with Dawn at his side. They all held onto each other and Xander began to sob. Tara and Buffy tried to stand closer to him.

Suddenly the fire alarms rang. There was a commotion down the restricted access hallway. Xander’s head popped up. He looked at Tara with worried eyes.

“Fire-and Willow’s down there!” Xander said horrified. “Come on!”

“Wait!” Buffy shouted grabbing his arm. “It’s okay!”

“It’s okay?” Xander asked unbelievingly. “It’s okay? Willow could get burned up down there! Come on!”

“Xander, wait!” Buffy pleaded. Xander looked at her for a second. “We’re trying to bring her back.”

“She’s just gone,” Tara said quickly. “I have to get her back!”

“Oh no,” Xander said taking a step back. “Not this. Not again. Tara, don’t do this.”

We’re doing this,” Buffy insisted.

“You’re not a witch, Buffy,” Xander said flatly.

“I trust one,” Buffy replied. Xander looked at Tara.

“So did I, once,” Xander said as he turned away. He ran for the doors to the morgue. As he opened the door he was hit by spray from the sprinklers. Betty passed him, her sphere leaving the faintest trail of steam. Xander stopped and looked at the tiny cloud that dissipated in the direction of Tara and Buffy. He looked at them with anger and disgust.

“What’s happening?” Dawn asked tightly.

“You burned up her body with a demon?” he roared.

Before they could answer a firefighter arrived along with a security guard and the two women were hustled away with Dawn between them. Xander was behind them, in the grasp of a police officer. They arrived outside along with dozens of other people.

“There’s no need for this,” Betty grumbled. “The flames were controlled and nothing else was damaged.”

“We humans react badly to fire,” Buffy said as she met Xander’s eyes across the crowd.

Xander glared at her and turned away.

“What’s going on?” Dawn said with less control.

“We have to find Willow,” Tara said with as much hope as she could muster for the teenager.

“Where is she?” a voice screamed. ”Where’s my Willow?”

Buffy turned and saw Sheila Rosenberg running into the building against the press of people. The disheveled woman was stopped by security, but she began struggling with the three security guards. Buffy hurried over.

“Mrs. Rosenberg!” Buffy called out.

“You!” Sheila spat. “You did this to her!”

Buffy was unprepared for the fury of Sheila’s lunge or the desperate strength of the distraught mother as Sheila broke free. Buffy felt Sheila’s hands clench onto her arms. The Slayer found herself being shaken violently. She froze, unwilling to hurt Willow’s mother.

“Bring her back to me!” Sheila howled. “BRING HER BACK!”

“Sheila,” Tara said with a gentle firmness.

The older woman turned at Tara’s voice. Sheila stared into Tara’s tear streaked face for a heartbeat. Then the older woman’s grief overwhelmed her and she fell into Tara’s embrace. Buffy stumbled back and felt Dawn’s arms steady her.

“Bring her back,” Sheila cried brokenly. “Bring her back…”

“She’s not here,” Tara said gently. “I will bring her back. I promise.”

“Who are these people?” Dr. Watson asked pointing at disturbing images around the edges of the next drawing.

Lucinda looked uncomfortable. She mumbled something. Georgia waited. Finally Lucinda sighed.

“They’re bad people and things,” she said.

“Is he bad?” the doctor asked pointing at a crying figure near the bad figures.

“No, he’s lost.”

“What about her?” Dr. Watson asked pointing at the red haired girl now surrounded by a red octagon. Lucinda looked away.

“She’s scared.”

The three young women made their way out of the hospital into the chaos outside. They moved carefully through the crowd until they came to the edge of the hospital grounds where the crowds thinned out to almost nothing. Buffy and Tara began to stride down the sidewalk, the Slayer just slightly behind the witch.

“What’s going on?” Dawn asked in a voice that tried to hide her fright. “You’re not trying to bring Willow back like, like...”

“Willow was taken,” Tara said in a brittle tone.

“Its complicated,” Buffy started.

“And who is that?” Dawn asked pointing at Betty.

“Remarkable,” Betty said. “Most perceptive, miss.”

“That’s me,” Dawn replied.

“Dawn, this is Betty,” Buffy explained. “She’s a salamander who’s helping us. Betty, this is my little sister, Dawn.”

“Good evening, Miss Summers,” Betty replied with a small bow. “I am pleased to meet you, but I wish the circumstances were different.”

Willow threw herself against what was to her an enormous faceted red crystal to no avail. She bounced off harmlessly. Rack smiled.

“When my girlfriend gets a hold of you you’re gonna be sorry!” Willow shouted.

“Without my real name?” Rack asked with a smirk. “In my own place? She’s a hedge witch at best, not even worth the effort. You, on the other hand, are tasty.”

“She’ll find me!” Willow snapped.

“You’re dead to her,” the sorcerer laughed. “You’re dead to all of them.”

“Then why do I have a body?” Willow demanded. “Your theory is full of holes.”

“No, your chest is,” Rack said with a shrug. “Temporary mental manifestation, little bookworm. Pretty soon you’ll fade. They all fade, eventually. Even that demigod Prosperexa faded without worshipers. Then you’re nothing but power.”

“I’m alive!” Willow yelled as she pounded on the crystalline walls of her prison.

“Reminiscor,” Rack said with a sweeping gesture.

Tara was looking at her with fright just as she was pulled away, Willow saw in a flash as she felt her chest catch fire. There was blood everywhere.

“No,” Willow whispered.

“Yeah,” Rack nodded with a smirk. “You’ve been under my spell since you came to me, Strawberry. It was easy to make the bullet turn.”

“No,” Willow half sobbed.

Rack reached down, picked up a glass with a glowing lizard and lit a cigar from his humidor as he sprawled into an ornate tub. Two lithe, beautiful women flowed up beside him.

“It’s been a rough day,” the sorcerer grinned. The nymphs joined him with mocking laughter.

Willow edged back until she was at the back of the red walled prison. She slumped into sitting position, hiding herself behind her legs. She closed her eyes and held onto her knees as she took a deep breath.

“TARA!”

“Willow!” Tara said suddenly just a few meters later. The feeling was fading fast. “WILLOW!”

Buffy watched as Tara’s hands balled into fists and the blonde’s face became a mask of determination.

“I will find you,” Tara said with power Buffy could feel. “I will always find you.”

“Whoa,” Betty muttered as she began to shake in the air as if being buffeted by a gale. The bubble of flame became stable. “That’s better.”

“She’s stronger than she looks,” Buffy said quietly.

“Quite,” Betty agreed.

Slayer and salamander watched the witch closely.

For an instant Willow felt Tara’s presence. Then it was gone but in its place was a path Willow could barely sense. She concentrated.

No babbling this time, Rosenberg, Willow chided herself. Tara’s out there and she’s scared and worried. I have got to get to her. She’s been alone too much. How do I get there? It’s a path so…remember the first step together.

In Willow’s mind a soda machine became a floating rose as she walked along, memory to memory down a path that suddenly had the fresh mixed scent of roses and lavender with a hint of sandalwood.

“Tara?” Willow called out anxiously.

“Willow!” Tara said distantly. “I’m here! I’m here baby!”

“Tara!” Willow cried. “I’m in Rack’s inner sanctum and he’s got a salamander and nymphs and these crystals or gems that are red and they have people or what’s left of people who’ve become just power and he-he’s had a spell on me since I went to him! Oh God, how could I have been so stupid?”

“Willow,” Tara’s voice said with a firm but soothing tone. “I’m here. Don’t be scared, love. I’ve got to go now. I’ll come this way to you soon.”

“Tara?” Willow whispered in a frightened voice. “I love you.”

There was no reply.

Buffy managed to catch Tara before she hit the ground. With Dawn’s help she got the witch into a sitting position with the teen holding Tara up.

“By the Lady!” Betty exclaimed in a whisper. “She actually broke through the wizard’s wards! That should be impossible...”

“She and Willow are special,” Dawn said as Tara’s eyes opened.

“We need special ed?” Tara asked with the ghost of a smile.

“Yeah, like not wearing yourself to a frazzle,” Buffy scolded.

“I need…books,” Tara said sitting up with a wince.

“You need sleep,” Dawn said worriedly.

“Not yet,” Tara replied tiredly. “Not yet.”

“Anya’s not going to like this,” Dawn muttered.

“What do you want?” Anya grumbled as the group stumbled into the Magic Box.

“Anya, I don’t have time to explain,” Buffy said quickly.

“What else is new?” Anya snapped.

“Willow’s been shot,” Dawn interjected before Buffy could snap back. “She’s gone.”

“Oh,” Anya said in a distracted tone as she looked at the bobbing light that was the salamander.

“Don’t even think about it, shopkeeper!” Betty hissed.

“We need her to get Will back,” Buffy explained.

“A salamander?” Anya snorted. “They’re so twisty they have change for a three dollar bill. Hey, wait a second-Willow’s dead?”

“Gone,” Tara replied tightly. “She’s not dead.”

“Right,” Anya agreed. Buffy saw Anya give, for Anya, a very subtle head shake. “Buffy, could you use that Slayer strength and help me get a box down in the storeroom?”

“I guess,” Buffy replied carefully.

“I don’t trust that demon,” Betty muttered.

“She’s been through a lot,” Dawn said diplomatically.

“We need to hurry,” Tara said. “I’m going to need one of the dark magic books to find the spell that Rack is using on Willow.”

With that Tara undid the chain on the incline stairs and let it drop. The chain with its sign ‘Danger-No Admittance’ swung silently in the last, fading light of the afternoon.

Anya closed the door to the storeroom and locked the door. Then she turned to Buffy with what she no doubt considered a thoughtful expression.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Anya said with a voice full of concern.

“This isn’t like bringing me back,” Buffy replied. “Tara felt Willow.”

“I’m sure she did,” Anya replied sadly. “But did you feel her? Did Dawn?”

“Well, no...” Buffy said thoughtfully.

“I know Tara’s our friend,” Anya sighed. “But do you think she can see past her grief?”

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked neutrally.

“Tara loved Willow, even with her bad habits and poor judgement,” Anya explained. “Tara’s hurting and not thinking clearly. Gods, you saw how red her eyes were. She needs real help, not some fiery lizard’s con game.”

“What kind of help?” Buffy asked.

“My kind of help,” Anya said tightly. “I don’t usually do this but for Tara I’ll bend the rules a bit. We’ve got to get her to wish for vengeance!”

“Why?” Buffy demanded.

“So she can get on with her mourning,” Anya said with real sadness. “So she can know the bastard who did this won’t get away with it.”

“What about Betty?” Buffy wondered.

“The salamander?” Anya snorted. “You can’t trust a salamander.”

“And that’s all?”

“No,” Anya admitted. “They’re an obscene profit item, but right now profit has to take a back seat. Who killed Willow?”

At Willy’s Bar a human walked in with the confidant swagger reserved for the very capable and the very foolish. When he chose to sit at the bar next to the morose vampire most of the clientele decided the latter but you never knew.

“Bet you don’t get a lot of humans in here,” Warren Meers said confidently.

“I’m watching the news, food,” the vampire growled.

“Does it mention the Slayer’s dead?” Warren asked with a knowing grin.

“It said something about a shooting,” the vampire replied eyeing Warren carefully. “One dead, one recovering at the hospital. You’re gonna tell me that was the Slayer in the body-bag they were taking out of the house?”

“House?” Warren asked as his chest tightened.

“Guess not,” the vampire chuckled. “So you killed a friend of hers and left the little blonde alive.”

“Uh-uh-uh,” Warren gasped.

“Twenty on the Slayer ripping his head off before sundown,” the vampire said pulling out a wallet with dried blood stains.

“Fifty on beheading by midnight!” growled a demon.

“Beats him to death before sunrise for fifty,” a vampire called out from a booth. “He looks slippery.”

“Let me get a piece of paper,” Willy said as bar came alive in a fever of wagering.

Warren half staggered off the barstool and was about to bolt for the door when a small framed woman pulled at his jacket. Even in his mounting terror he saw her beauty.

“You’ll need some magical help to beat her,” she said softly in a musical voice. “Come with me if you want to live.”

In the marble halls of Wolfram and Hart’s upper floors Lilah Morgan was smiling. It was a confidant smile, one that made the staff wonder about things like favors and positioning. Being part of the firm was a lot like being a courtier in sixteenth century Italy, only without the happy joviality of the Borgias. Without seeming to a dozen people listened for the tone and words she would be acknowledged by.

The door opened before Lilah had come to a complete stop and a secretary smiled at her.

“Please come in, Miss Morgan,” the secretary said very respectfully.

As Lilah entered and the door closed behind her a dozen plots were hatched to become more useful to Ms. Morgan in the future.

In the magic workroom in the basement of Wolfram and Hart Danny adjusted his suit for the fifteenth time in as many minutes. The elder mage (an adept of the Black Moon School) glared at him.

“Just what the hell are you doing in a suit?” the older man asked.

“Just in case I get called off surveillance duty to meet with a senior partner,” Danny grinned lazily.

“You?” the adept said with a particularly disdainful snort. “You’re lucky to just be on overwatch. Now settle down and visualize Sunnydale and Lompac.”

There was a knock at the heavily insulated and armored doors. The older man sighed and pushed the intercom.

“Please send out Mr. Talbot,” a woman’s voice said. “He’s needed upstairs.”

The mage scowled as Danny strode out the door. He glared at another very junior wizard. He pointed at one without thinking.

“Bhat, take the twerp’s place.”

Buffy and Anya came out of the storeroom as Tara descended the stairs. Agitated false sparks came off the salamander and Dawn watched nervously as Tara reached the bottom of the steep stairs. In the witch’s arms a huge tome bound in age blackened leather and closed with iron clasps seemed to twitch. Buffy heard Anya gasp.

“You’re not going to use that are you?” the demon demanded worriedly.

“What is it?” Buffy asked no one in particular.

The True Path Of Magic,” Betty hissed. “Forgive me, but its one book I would burn in a heartbeat.”

“I didn’t want it in the shop,” Anya said clutching her pendant. “Damn Giles and his reference library.”

“It’s bad?” Buffy asked softly.

“Imagine someone as powerful and as detail oriented as Willow,” Anya replied. “But make them blood path instead of Wicca writing a ‘how to’ guide for evil magic.”

“It feels iggly,” Dawn added in a small voice.

Buffy stepped closer to the table as Tara put the book down. The Slayer felt the book glare at her. With her enhanced hearing she caught the faintest growl of defiance like a muzzled beast coming from the iron bound volume. Buffy put her hand gently on Tara’s arm before the witch touched the book.

“Are you sure about this, Tara?” Buffy asked softly.

“From what she could tell me the spell that’s holding Willow is blood path magic,” Tara replied. “One like nothing I’ve ever heard of before. I have to know what I’m facing, Buffy.”

“Can you even use that?” Buffy asked as she glanced at the ominous tome.

“I have to,” Tara whispered.

Buffy held her breath as Tara touched the book. The faintest red outline showed at Tara’s fingers. The Wiccan’s lips became white. Then Tara looked at the book with a level neutral stare.

“Open!” she commanded.

“What the Hell?” Bhat asked in the workroom. “There’s some kind of flare...”

“Show me,” the adept demanded.

In the Magic Box the growling could now be heard by all as the book remained closed. Dawn had taken a step back and Betty went with her. Now everyone held their breath as Tara’s carefully neutral manner disappeared in an angry frown. She lifted her hand and then slammed it fully down on the book.

“Open!” she snarled.

The clasps sparked as they flew open and the store was filled with the sound of a distant, angry howl. Then the witch stabbed a finger at the whirling leaves of paper.

“Show me!” she snapped.

The pages kept up their wild dance to and fro. Tara’s face now showed her anger, worry and fear. Then she drew herself up and Buffy for a moment that she saw the blonde’s blue eyes grow dark.

“By my command!” Tara said with an icy firmness. “Show me!”

The pages stopped and fell open instantly to a page with a title outlined in red.

In the workroom both magic users screamed and fell, the younger one with an ominous twitching. A junior mage scrambled for the red phone.

“Mages down!” he screamed into the device. “Mages down! Send help! Hurry!!”

“What the fuck?” Rack growled as a nymph pouted at him.

“Kind of the point,” she purred.

“Whatever it is, it can’t get me here,” the scarred man said with a shrug. “Want to try that again?”

In her tiny prison Willow didn’t even see the beings cavorting in front of her. Instead Willow stared intently at a book that had glowed for a few seconds with an eldritch light. It sat on a shelf surrounded by what looked like old textbooks. She moved around her confinement until the lens gave her a better view. She began to repeat the titles like a mantra.

In the Magic Box Buffy peered at the foreboding book in front of her. To her surprise she could easily make out the words. Dawn looked carefully over her sister’s shoulder. And when exactly did that happen? Buffy thought to herself.

“The Cells of...Xre,um, XreDr-” Dawn read aloud.

“Don’t say that name!” Betty shouted. The salamander shivered and the room grew a bit warmer. “Saying the names in spells is...well, its very ill-advised and potentially fatal.”

“Or just very expensive,” Anya added. “At the very least you would need a whole new wardrobe to fit your new shape.”

“Oh,” Dawn said in a small voice.

Buffy looked back at Tara and saw the witch had not lifted her head. Tara stared at the book as her slim fingers traced the writing on the page again and again in total silence. Sweat formed on Tara’s forehead and every few seconds she would wince or grow pale. Buffy noticed the edge of the page begin to waver in the still air.

“Don’t even think about it,” Buffy warned the agile paper.

The book rippled very lightly. Buffy experienced an echo of the anger that she felt when a vampire mocked her best quips in the heat of Slaying. The slim blonde looked at the salamander.

“Betty, could you please turn this bunch of insolent pulp into ash if it moves again?” Buffy asked politely.

“With pleasure!” Betty replied as she floated over the book. The salamander’s tail grew bright red.

The book stopped moving. Tara kept reading, her concentration totally focused on the words beneath her. In the fading light of the afternoon Buffy saw the red outline of the page glow very faintly as it did where Tara’s finger touched the text.

In her hospital room Lucinda looked up and apparently stared at the far wall for a moment. Then she reached over and carefully took out another black crayon, a red crayon and a green she rarely used. She laid them neatly by her paper and went back to finishing the drawing she was working on. It had to be done quickly.

Outside the hospital Dr. Georgia Watson struggled with her car keys. She didn’t see the vampire carefully keeping to the shadows as he drew closer. She did hear the crack of a branch and a very brief scream in the still air of twilight. She looked at the fallen branch but saw no victim.

Lucinda put aside the drawing with the tree and the brown branch in the outline of a man with sharp teeth, the man she had just colored in wildly broad gray strokes. She picked up one of her black crayons and began to draw in large strokes. The storm needed a lot of black.

To Be Continued

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:37 am 
10. Troll Hammer

amazing! :bounce :bounce :bounce

i will leave a more comprehensive feedback later... gotta get some rest..

can't wait for more!!!

ces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:44 am 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day, Jixer.

Ahh, what a treat! Another fascinating tale from the writer of 'Where Angels Fear to Prowl'. You know, I should probably read your other fics too, huh? Stupid reality, filling my days up with such inconsequential activities as work. :-D

Okay, first question. What was Tara talking about when she mentioned hiding from Willow and Dawn in the prologue? Is she talking about hiding how powerful she actually is?

Yowza, you're weaving together a whole bunch of threads here, aren't ya? Let's see, we've got Evil Inc. better known as Wolfram and Hart, a little girl with the apparent ability to rewrite reality or somesuch, a Salamander named Betty, the scoobies (of course), and that evil ugly-arse bastard Rack.

I loved the flurry of wagering over Warren's fate, and I could go for any of them, or make a few suggestions of my own.

Now, this book that Tara's using sounds like bad news, almost like the Necromonicon from Evil Dead, or something out of the Discworld's Unseen University's library. I just hope that it doesn't infect Tara or something. I kind of doubt she's in the right kind of mental state to properly protect herself at the moment.

What the heck is Rack up to? He seems to be collecting elemental spirits; he's got Betty's mate, and some Nymphs (who don't quite seem to be unwilling prisoners) already, along with who knows what else.

And what's this storm that Lucinda's predicting? Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to bode well.

Great start so far, Jixer. Can't wait to see where you take us.

Bye,
Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:12 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wow, Jixer. That was really good.

I love the salamander, and to call her Betty :lol , just tickles my SOH. So I guess she doesn't need the actual ashes to restore Willow? I was amused by Betty's pique at the fuss over the fire:
Quote:
“There’s no need for this,” Betty grumbled. “The flames were controlled and nothing else was damaged.”
... offended professionalism.

You conveyed the confusion, stress and pain of the Scoobies at their loss of Willow and everything else going on around them, very well. I was a bit surprised at Sheila turning up, not to mention her emotional state ... couldn't help thinking it was a bit late to appreciate her daughter. The scene where Tara was commanding the book was very dramatic - I got a great visual of that.
Quote:
She lifted her hand and then slammed it fully down on the book.
“Open!” she snarled.
The clasps sparked as they flew open and the store was filled with the sound of a distant, angry howl. Then the witch stabbed a finger at the whirling leaves of paper.
“Show me!” she snapped.
The pages kept up their wild dance to and fro. Tara’s face now showed her anger, worry and fear. Then she drew herself up and Buffy for a moment that she saw the blonde’s blue eyes grow dark.
“By my command!” Tara said with an icy firmness. “Show me!”

Also chuckled at Buffy's enlistment of Betty's help to keep the book subdued.

So much going on: Wolfram & Hart's mysterious involvement; Lucinda's drawings and protection of Dr. Watson; the telepathic connection b/w W&T; Willow's interest in the book titles. I suspect Willow, as always, has hit on some way to help herself or Tara, and/ or damage Rack?

So .... are you going to be updating at this rate for the whole fic? *she asks innocently* :flirt

Thanks for a great story. BTW I really enjoyed all your fics on the completed archive, esp. Miss Tara Maclay, Citizen... etc.

Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:49 am 
3. Flaming O

:bounce Looks like another great fic by Jixer. This one has really got me hooked from the start. I really love this take-charge in control Tara. I wasn't at all surprised that Willow and Tara was able to communicate. Nothing is strong enough to keep them apart. But at the end of their telepathic talk, when Willow said "I love You" , I was like :sob that was so sad.

I can't wait to see what this little girl has instore for them now. All good things I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:38 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

If I have one rule in my life, it is this: Don't fuck with women named Betty.

God, I love this creature! You have a gift for writing non-humans that are both powerful and something else--"cute" doesn't fit it, but maybe it's in the ballpark...Impish? It's some great combination of intelligent and appealing. I'm thinking of MKF as well as Betty, both of whom would shoot me to hear me describe them as cute. I still remember MFK getting absolutely stoned back in "Angels."

As Paul mentioned, you have many, many threads here and I'm very curious to see where you'll go with them. How does Lilah et al. figure into all of this? Loved the image of people at W&H dreaming up ways to become useful to her.

And Tara--oh, do not try to cross her, little book. Now I'm just hoping that neither Anya nor Xander sabotage her efforts through well-intentioned but misguided convictions.

Thanks for this great story, Jixer!
Mary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:45 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

In case you were wondering in the match between Jixer and Real Life, the winner is Real Life with a boot. The good news is that we'll have an extra hour of sleep this weekend (if you don't work nights).

tarebear- Oh do I understand getting rest. I'd suggest a massage as well before you come back (only the best for Kittens).

Darth Pacula- Don't tell me you're wasting time working too! I tell you its a plague. In the prologue Tara was hiding herself, not wanting to bring any more tension into Buffy's life at that moment.

Threads are needed to weave the story, and hopefully not into a rope by which my petard will be hoisted.

The book and Rack's game will (hopefully) become more clear in the next couple of posts. Hope you like the trip, Paul!

spells42- Betty was one of the first elements that popped in about this story. I'm glad she's coming across well. Sheila on the other hand is too familiar, the parent losing a child striking out and willing to believe anything to be able to do the things that should have been.

I'm afraid its a no on the speed. The next update is Tuesday evening Pacific Standard Time.

StarCat- Thank you for the endorsement and the tears. I'v thought Tara had more backbone than most realized and there's nothing like a crisis to bring out unexpected strengths in someone.

AntigoneUnbound- Intelligent and appealing are hallmarks here at the Kitten. Besides, they wouldn't shoot you for calling them cute. Shred a plant or give off sparks while secretly agreeing (but never admitting it, of course) perhaps, but no projectiles what with city and county ordinances and all that.

We'll just have to see about Xander and Anya.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by.

Jixer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:37 pm 
5. Willowhand

Chapter Three

The teapot stopped singing in the kitchen. In a moment an older woman came in with a small teapot. After the usual intricacies of the seemingly informal serving she settled back and sipped her cup. Then she fixed her guest with a practiced stare.

“Sorry for the short notice, Rupert,” she said carefully. “But there’s been a very unsettling development in Sunnydale.”

“Oh?” Rupert Giles asked warily. “How so?”

“It seems ‘The True Path Of Magic’ has just opened to one of your witches,” the old woman said flatly. “It seems to be obeying her. It may even be bonding to her.”

“Which one?” Giles asked quickly.

“The live one,” the old witch explained. “The one that used the heart’s blood of her lover in magic.”

“Just what is so special about this book?” Lilah asked brusquely as Danny tried to stop his nosebleed. “Why did it knock out our mages?”

“Because ‘The True Path Of Magic’ is like no other book of the dark arts,” a senior mage shuddered. “Smith’s creation violates all the laws.”

“Smith?” Lilah asked.

“John Allen Smith,” an even more ancient adept wheezed. “And with the man lays the enormity of what he created. He worked in the British Colonial Office. He was...a bureaucrat.”

“A bureaucrat?” Ms Morgan asked with a raised eyebrow.

“A bureaucrat and a dabbler in magic with just enough talent to feel a true spell. When he found one in his travels he wrote it down and he, he indexed them, he went so far as to cross reference them! Then he had them printed like they were a collection of recipes!”

“So?” Lilah asked.

“So?!?” the ancient mage growled. “So the spells began to feed off one another and they became unstable. At the sixteenth volume the type in the press melted and burned down the vanity publisher’s shop. The others burned or simply exploded until there were but two left. Then they became dangerous. With two the magical harmonics stabilized and well...the spells became more than they had been. Anyone with one of those books could perform spells that have been lost now for generations.”

“I assume we don’t have a copy?” Lilah asked as she made notes.

“The Von Manstein copy disappeared in the twenties in Berlin,” a sorceress of the Black Griffon Society sighed longingly. “The Warner vanished in London in the sixties. Rumor is the Council of Watchers have it locked away.”

“There’s a Slayer in Sunnydale,” Lilah suggested. “She’s said to work with witches. Could she have the book?”

“The Watcher’s would have to be six kinds of fool to let a book of that magnificent power out of their direct control!” the oldest mage cackled. “This is better than getting Nixon elected. I-we have a chance to get the single most useful book and we can use it to control a new seer.”

“And how do we do that?” the lawyer asked politely.

“We wait until the witch finishes the spell and suborn the book and with it her power,” the mage answered happily. “The spells want to be used. They’re awake now. The book will turn on her for a chance to do true evil.”

“Then let’s get to work,” Lilah said decisively.

Tara sat down heavily as she stopped reading. The book stayed open, its pages rippling gently. Buffy thought the tome seemed to be waiting like a loyal dog. Dawn and Betty came to Tara’s side.

“Now you’re going to get some sleep,” Dawn demanded.

“After you close that damn book,” Betty added.

Tara reached out and shut the book gently. Buffy heard a soft whimper. The Slayer leaned forward and closed the clasps. The book growled very softly. Buffy doubted anyone else could hear the sound. Tara stood up with Dawn’s help.

“I’ve got to see if I can get to Willow,” Tara said wearily. “I know how to break this but we’re going to need someone on the inside.”

“You are exhausted,” Betty warned gently.

“And that’s a book of black magic,” Dawn pointed out. “I don’t trust it.”

“We don’t have a choice,” Tara said firmly. “Now I can do this with you or I can, um, fall over.”

“Fall over, in bed,” Anya replied quickly. “That’s my vote.”

“Guys,” Tara pleaded softly. “It’s Willow.”

The other four females looked at each other. There were four sighs and a quartet of heads shook unhappily.

Georgia Watson sipped her tea and settled back into the only comfortable chair in her apartment. She looked at several sheets of paper and picked up her recorder.

“The patient,” Dr. Watson started, then stopped. “Lucinda is using lots of black which she calls a storm full of bad things and her people are all frowning or crying. Her imagination includes things like salamanders, vampires, and evil sorcerers, yet her parents insist they don’t let her watch most cartoons let alone horror movies. Lucinda’s home life is good and her parents have been supportive.”

Georgia stopped her dictation and looked out a window. She coughed lightly and turned on the device again.

“It’s not supported by any observation,” she started, “But I’m not convinced these drawings are related to her leukemia or home life.”

She stopped and looked at the last drawing. The red haired woman was still surrounded by a red octagon. Now the other woman was there and the two could almost touch. It was rather remarkable how simple figures could say so much about longing. All around the two there were red octagons filled with angry faces in black, red and an unhealthy green.

“Perhaps a gay nurse is important to her but Lucinda can’t understand the societal influences keeping this nurse and the person who makes her happy apart,” Georgia mused. “The bad things are keeping good people unhappy.”

Dr. Watson looked at her recorder after and moment and played it. She was relieved that she hadn’t recorded the last observation.

“Time for sleep,” she muttered.

Tara Maclay did not dive well. The only time she’d ever managed to do so was the summer before her mother had died. Donny had been ordered to take his younger sister to the old Johnson quarry. It was his cruel teasing that had made her angry enough to overcome her fear and leap off the oppressively hot rock ledge into the cool relief of the waters below. The shock of the cold water was expected, but she had gone deeper than ever before and a frond of duck weed had wrapped itself around her ankle. For a moment she had felt like she was trapped and would drown. Tara kicked and reached the bright surface with a huge gasp.

As she floated there, looking up at a Donny frowning with disappointment at the unexpected clean dive, Tara had the thought that perhaps if she kicked hard enough she could get free of a lot of things...

The memory came and went in a flash. Tara stopped in the place she was and took her bearings. The spell had worked. The portal it opened had been far colder than anything she’d felt and with things much more terrifying than duckweed slithering at the edges. Now she was in a corridor lined with red glass walls. Tara looked with her heart and flew carefully down the long passage. Fear-driven hate whispered around her like an angry mob grown hoarse with screaming out its rage. Once in a while there was almost a face on the other side of the crimson wall. The further she went in the more clear the whispers became.

Power...

...any woman...

Revenge...

Listen to me...

Secrets...

Power...

Tara focused her attention on the ruby hued cell she was approaching. The words around her became indistinct as she peered inside her target and saw Willow. Without thought Tara lifted her hand. On the other side Willow mirrored her gesture. Both women were startled back to reality or what passed for it here by the touch, not of a warm hand, but of cool hard glass.

“Tara...” Willow said softly, almost unwilling to believe.

“I will always find you,” Tara said with a forced brightness. “Remember?”

“I know,” Willow said with real hope in her voice. Then she frowned. “How’s Dawn and Buffy taking this? And Xander? Do you have a plan because I think I’ve found something out that could tell us what Rack’s real name is if only I could look up something online or in the library and-and oh God, baby, I’m so scared!”

“I’m here,” Tara said quickly. “We’re working on something but it needs Rack’s real name. What do you have?”

“Books,” Willow replied.

Four times in the last three minutes Buffy had been ready to grab the closed book out of Tara’s hands as the witch looked into a place the others could only guess at. Tara was sweating now, and every few seconds she flinched at something unseen. Finally Tara blinked and let go the book. The blonde woman leaned forward on shaky arms.

“Pen, pencil, something...” she said urgently.

Dawn tossed open her back pack and handed Tara a pen and a notebook. Tara wrote down a line and then wrote it again. Only then did she put down the pen and shake all over.

“I do wish you’d let me reduce that thing to ash,” Betty muttered.

“No,” Tara said quickly. “I know why I picked it now.”

“Why?” Buffy asked looking at the notebook. “What does Diseases of The Heart by C. R. Pettigrew have to do with this?”

“That’s the title of the four identical books on Rack’s shelf closest to his work desk,” Tara explained pointing to the book before her. “They’re bracketing a copy of this book. Rack’s using the same book.”

Warren Meers had been looking over his shoulder most of the trip. He looked forward to see the back of his guide disappear into nothingness in the alley. He stopped and stared. Then a hand came of nothing and beckoned him. He took a deep breath and leapt forward. The light and warmth were a surprise, as was the Seventies office waiting room decor. Next to his beautiful guide a scarred man looked him over. Warren felt a quick surge of mixed resentment and fear. Then the Scarred man nodded at him.

“You got stones, dude,” the man said. “Taking on the Slayer in her own backyard. By the way I’m Rack.”

“Right,” Warren said quickly. “And I’m gonna be called dog meat if the Slayer gets hold of me.”

“Or her witch,” Rack added.

“Witch?” Warren asked fearfully. “Oh great. I-I lost my last magic user. Can you help me with her? I’ve got money.”

“Keep your money, kid,” Rack said with an off-handed wave of his hand. “You’re going to need it. Truth is your attack on the Slayer helped put things back in balance around here. If you make a clean getaway she’ll be off balance.”

“So you’ll help me?” Warren asked feeling more confident.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Rack smiled.

Tara was leaning on Dawn as Buffy made sure the three of them had everything they’d come in with. At least Betty didn’t leave books or sweaters behind. She looked up as Anya came over.

“You’ve got to stop this,” Anya whispered. “She’s wearing herself out.”

“And what is she supposed to do, Anya?” Buffy asked quietly.

“Move on,” Anya said sadly. “Grieve, take her vengeance and let go of-”

“No vengeance!” Tara said standing up straight and meeting Anya’s eyes. “No more blood.”

“Tara, you got to-” Anya started.

“No!” Tara snapped. Then she seemed to wilt. “Please Anya, try to understand. I’ve got to try and there can’t be anything that might...”

“Fine,” Anya sighed. “Go home and sleep on it.”

“Thank you,” Tara said softly.

Xander Harris stared at the beer in front of him and wondered when he’d stop hurting. Three beers hadn’t helped so far. The doorbell was a shock, and then an annoyance. He stood up and looked out the peephole. A figure in a suit stared back. Xander opened the door but didn’t invite the well dressed man in. The man stepped inside.

“Not a vampire,” the stranger said brusquely. “My name is Miller and I don’t have time for games, Harris. The construction manager said you knew this town. Something’s happened and I’m supposed to make sure it doesn’t delay the high school project or start the old problems up again.”

“You know about...” Xander stopped his tongue quickly.

“The ‘Hellmouth’ I believe it’s called locally,” Miller finished. “Yes, my firm knows about it, and that’s one reason we wanted you. You’ve got a reputation for being cool under fire. Now I need to know if you’re smart as well. Have you heard anything about a new dark magic power, possibly one that used to be on the side of the good guys? They would have gone over in the last few days.”

“Oh no,” Xander said slumping into a chair. “Tara...”

“Mr. Harris, I’m sorry to put you through this, but we can’t let a new dark magic user unhinge our project,” Miller said. “Tell me everything you know about this Tara.”

“This is wrong,” Dawn said watching Tara closely.

“I know,” Tara said morosely.

“I mean I’m the teenager,” Dawn went on. “I’m supposed to be the picky eater and the one being watched to make sure I eat a good dinner. I’m sure this role reversal is going to be very damaging to my psyche later. I’m going to have to bill you for my shrink’s bills, you know.”

“I had no idea you were so delicate,” Tara replied with a real smile.

“Positively fragile,” Dawn agreed. “Much too delicate to do dishes.”

“I wouldn’t put you through such a hardship,” Buffy said. “Especially with as much homework as you’ve got.”

“I need your help as well, Dawn,” Betty said as she became enveloped in flame and lifted off the table. “Thank you for the salad as well.”

“You’re welcome,” Dawn said brightly. “It’s good to be appreciated by somebody.”

“I’d appreciate it if you got busy,” Buffy said firmly. “Scat.”

Tara watched Dawn leave with a smile. Buffy felt herself relax just a bit as the witch returned to her dinner, such as it was. A bowl of oatmeal garnished with brown sugar was mostly empty. Next to her bowl the remains of Tara’s piece of chicken was mostly picked clean. Tara stopped eating.

“What is it?” Tara asked.

“Hmm?” Buffy said, then she shrugged. “You usually don’t eat meat.”

“It sounded good,” Tara replied. “And it was.”

“Probably stress,” Buffy suggested. “That would explain that yawn as well.”

“True,” Tara agreed.

“How about sleeping here tonight?” Buffy asked gently.

“Not in...”

“No,” Buffy said quickly. “You can have my room.”

“Thanks,” Tara said in a small, tired voice.

“Are you going to be all right?” Buffy asked.

Tara’s only response was a listless shrug. Buffy stood up and took Tara’s shoulders in her arms.

“I’m watching over you tonight,” Buffy said tightly.

“Nothing,” Betty muttered as she flew around Willow’s room again. “Not a trace.”

“Of Willow’s blood?” Dawn asked with the barest quiver in her voice.

“Yes,” Betty answered. “I’m sorry, Dawn. This must be very hard for you. You’re very fond of Willow.”

“She and Tara are...were...” Dawn gave up and shrugged.

“Will be,” Betty said confidently.

“They’re like my sisters and mom and friends all rolled up into one. Betty, will this really bring her back?”

“We are the oldest,” Betty said meeting Dawn’s eyes. “Before there was life we were here, burning in our old forms. Sorry, old poems and tribal memories. Dawn, life can come from fire but I admit this will be difficult. I was expecting some small droplet left. Now it will take more power.”

“Magic power?” Dawn asked. “Like mine?”

“Child,” Betty started.

“I can’t do magic, but I’ve been told I’ve got a lot,” Dawn said with a studied nonchalance. “Willow’s part of my family. It’s all got to count for something.”

“Hold out your hand, Dawn,” Betty said carefully. “I can test your theory, but be warned, this will hurt.”

Dawn held out her hand and tried not to let Betty see her swallow nervously. The salamander raised her tail and Dawn saw it become red, then yellow, then gold. Betty touched the tip to Dawn’s hand. Dawn watched intently as warmth rather than heat coursed through her hand and through her body. Slowly the heat built until it felt as if she was on a huge parking lot in the middle of summer. Betty gasped and Dawn looked at the salamander.

“Now that was most interesting!” Betty said with fascination in her voice. “Your aura gave no indication you held so much magic.”

“Will it work for Willow?” Dawn asked hopefully.

“Yes,” Betty said with a nod. “But know this, Dawn. A creature with as much magic as yourself may be weakened, even to the point of death, with the magic I must do to bring back Miss Rosenberg.”

“All right,” Dawn said in a firm but quiet voice. “Don’t tell Tara or Buffy about this, please.”

“Very well,” Betty agreed. “If there is another source I will use it. I’ve got a hunch we’re all going to be busy and need every pair of hands we have, but now I know this can be done.”

Willow would have paced had she a real body. Instead she observed everything in Rack’s innermost sanctum. The art would have been more at home in a bordello or a temple dedicated to a god of carnality, but it was made with exquisite workmanship of the most exotic materials. There were books scattered about, magical implements of the same quality as the more outre decorations, a stuffed alligator of about six feet in length stuffed in the rafters, and two rows that were a jumble of objects on shelves near the books. She took a closer look at the odd collection that didn’t fit the rest of the room.

“Trophies,” Willow thought out loud.

Then the red walls closed about her. There on the end was the doll’s eye crystal tara had given her. Rage filled her core for a second. Willow stopped herself as she felt herself fade slightly with her anger.

“I w-want you to have it...”

“Tara,” Willow whispered looking at the crystal.

The fading stopped and Willow felt like herself again.

Buffy came back into her bedroom with an extra blanket to see Tara on the bed in a flannel nightgown a size too big for the blonde witch. Tara had her arms around knees with her head on her knees. Buffy followed her gaze and saw Tara was looking at a picture of Buffy and Willow mugging for the camera at some past party.

“Willow’s eighteenth birthday,” Buffy said with a small smile. “Too much cake and ice cream. Our sleep over became a talkfest.”

“She looks so happy,” Tara said gently.

“She was,” Buffy said. “And she will be again, with you.”

“Are you sure?” Tara asked as twin tears coursed down her cheeks.

“Yes!” Buffy insisted softly as she brushed away Tara’s tears.

“S-S-Sorry to be a bother,” Tara whispered.

“You’re not a bother,” Buffy said feeling the last few days catch up with her. “I’d just as soon not be alone tonight either. Not after Spike...”

Tara looked at Buffy quickly as the Slayer seemed to shiver. Tara gently took Buffy’s hand.

“Want to talk about it?”

Spike paced back and forth waiting for the air crew to arrive at this forlorn part of the airport. The money from the motorcycle and some stolen from an ATM would get him to where he was going. He sat down near a pile of battered pallets and pulled out a nearly empty pack of cigarettes.

Used to be able to smoke on a plane, board without a bloody encyclopedia, and have a stewardess for a snack at the other end, he mused.

Sleep

Spike shook his head. He was tired. A quick nap would at least pass the time.

Sleep

Spike closed his eyes for just a bit of a kip.

“You were our friend,” Tara whispered as she held a sobbing Buffy. “I owe you this much.” Buffy stopped crying but before she could ask her question Tara hugged her. “Its okay, I’ve got you.”
Buffy put her head down again in the safe haven of Tara’s arms. She closed her eyes and therefore never saw Tara’s eyes turn into cerulean fire.

The pilot arrived and looked for the passenger who’d payed for cargo space to Africa. He looked down next to the pile of pallets and saw the broken end of one in a pile of dust. The pilot reached down and picked up an almost empty cigarette pack and a Zippo lighter.

“Hey, Frank,” he called out to his flight engineer. “Looks like we won’t need the crucifixes after all.”

“I’m disappointed in you, Anya.”

“Yeesh!” Anya gasped. “Don’t you ever knock, D’Hoffryn?”

“Ruins the entrance,” the senior demon shrugged. “Now, tell me you have at least considered bringing Tara Maclay into our fold.”

“Tara?” Anya asked with a puzzled frown. “No offense, chief, but she’s not the most powerful witch or a real vengeancy kind of person. Now Willow, she’s a redhead and she got really brassed with Oz and his female fuzzy. But the being dead kind of lets that out.”

“My dear Anya,” D’Hoffryn said pedantically. “Miss Maclay has no idea of what she can do right now, especially given the right push.”

“You think Tara would make a good Vengeance Demon?” Anya asked doubtfully.

“I think she’d bring a lot to the table,” D’Hoffryn replied. “See if you can fetch this Meers fellow. He might be useful.”

“Are you sure this is right?” Dawn asked looking at the keyboard.

“I am a creature of magic and the elements,” Betty said primly. “That doesn’t mean I can’t be technically adept as well. I’m glad to see Miss Rosenberg took the time to upgrade frequently. Now we’re going to narrow the search and use that program-yes, that icon-to access some data that might otherwise be...unavailable.”

Buffy leaned back against the headboard of her bed and tried to get comfortable. Once again it had been Tara she turned to, this time without thinking. Somehow helping Buffy had let the witch finally fall asleep. It was not starting out well for Tara was whimpering in her sleep. Buffy touched Tara’s hand and in her sleep Tara held on. The whimpering subsided and Buffy tried to just be quiet and not think, especially not about Willow being gone forever. She closed her eyes and tried to relax. Tara shifted slightly in her sleep, her back against Buffy’s leg.

And if Willow can’t come back Tara will need comfort.

Buffy’s eyes popped open.

What?!? she thought, catching the word before it was spoken.

In the darkness she wondered where that thought had come from. Tara was kind, loyal, generous, giving and pretty. But Buffy knew her own needs and they were not for women.

Would it be so hard to learn? a traitorous thought whispered. Especially with someone who is kind, loyal, generous, giving and pretty?

Buffy looked into the darkness and wrestled with her most difficult opponent. She looked down at the sleeping witch and and nodded in the darkness.

I know where this comes from, Buffy thought sadly. I’m lonely, and some part of me has always wanted what Tara was to Willow. To Willow. I think I do love Tara, but...Images of Dawn came in a flood to Buffy’s mind. Sister fits, maybe big sister. Someone who’s there when you need her. And I want her happy with my best friend-

Now a larger torrent of images came that were of Willow. Willow laughing, crying, urging, scolding, and lastly drifting away. Then Willow crying and Buffy judging, holding back the damning feeling the Slayer had that was her debasement with Spike. Buffy took a large breath and held it.

I’m sorry Will, Buffy thought soberly.

“I’m going to get you back,” Buffy said without realizing it. “I love you both. I need you both. I’m sorry it took so long to remember.”

To Be Continued

Last edited by jixer on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:01 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

DIBS!!! (Wow, that's really addictive...)

So many threads you're weaving here, Jixer--I picture this huge hunt of a sort, many of the players not even knowing who else is involved as they go all out in pursuit of something precious and powerful. The book itself is a fascinating object, but I'm even more interested in its capacity to alter its user. Tara's eating meat? What's that about?

Another fascinating element? Buffy's little wander-lust (pun intended) re: Tara as she absently considers her dear friend, and her best friend's mate. I really liked how you skipped her thoughts along, like stones over a pond, taking us abruptly from one place to another with the depths below them tantalizingly close.

This bureaucrat guy (BG, I'll call him) who shows up at Xander's place worries me. In part, that's b/c I don't trust bureaucrats, even of the mystical kind. But it's also b/c I see Xander as prone to doing something that he thought was best for someone without necessarily consulting that someone. It's part of what always torqued me in canon.

As always, I love Betty. Infinitely old, yet technologically adept. Of course. Heh...

Swirling and swirling go all the pretty players in this drama...all, that is, except for Spike, who seems to have gone ashes to ashes. And how did Tara's cerulean eyes figure into that? Did she "just" have a momentary flash of anger toward him, with this as the unintended consequence? Or was it simpler than that: he was smoking in bed and paid the price?

Such good stuff, Jixer. And if Dawn needs to see a therapist, send her to me; I'll give her a discount rate!

Mary

Last edited by AntigoneUnbound on Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:26 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

OMG! Awesome story. Such elaborate threads woven together into such a broad picture. Wonderful writing. I'm completely hooked!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:55 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day, Jixer.

Okay first off I have to admit to something. I read the first line of this update, and for god knows what reason, I immediately started thinking about Disney animated movies. Weird.

I loved the description of 'The True Path of Magic' from the W&H lackeys. It's sounding even more like something out of a Discworld book to me at times. But to be written by a bureaucrat? Grr! Bloody bureaucrats! A pox on them, I say! A pox! (Apologies to any kittens who might be bureaucrats, but I just couldn't help myself)

Quote:
“We don’t have a choice,” Tara said firmly. “Now I can do this with you or I can, um, fall over.”

:lol Somehow, I don't think that sentence would have finished up as firm as it started.

It sounds like whatever Rack's up to, he's been at it for a while now, if all those phantom voices are all that's left of previous victims. The idea of soul theft, if you will, seems kind of familiar, though I can't remember where from. Oh well, it'll be good to see the Jixer twist upon the concept.

For some reason, I don't see Rack helping Warren out of the goodness of his theoretical heart. With any luck they'll double cross each other and both end up in regions far, far south.

Great, another suit. This Miller chappie is definitely setting off my spider-sense. Anybody in a position of power in Sunnydale, who actually knows about the Hellmouth, immediately earns my distrust. We haven't had a good run with their type on the show. Here's hoping Xander doesn't fall for his BS.

Oh yay. Dawn's offering to a magical battery to power Willow's return, an act that might kill her. That's bound to go down well. Even if she knows that it was Dawn's choice, I could still see Buffy trying to kill Betty if things end up SNAFU.

Okay, is Spike actually dust in the wind? And if so, did Tara have something to do with it? Personally, I hope he's not dead, but that's probably because I always liked him. Oh well, c'est la vie.

And now D'Hoffryn's been thrown in the mix. Cripes, Jixer! You don't half muck about when it comes to sprawling, multi-layered plots, now do ya?

As always, this was a joy to read, and I eagerly await the next installment.

Bye for now,
Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:21 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Two wonderful updates (ah, behind on my kitten reading!). I love the complexity of this story. I take it back, Lucinda's not scary. Seems like a sweet girl. That book is scary. Well, well done. :clap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:48 am 
10. Troll Hammer

hiya!!!

the amazing jixer wrote:
I'd suggest a massage as well before you come back

thanks for that suggestion... i think i need it too..

what an update! freaking amazing the tangled web you wove for us... i love it!!!

more soon please!

Last edited by tarebear on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:45 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

I don't suppose any of you have seen any sacks-of-money fairies looking for me, have you? This work thing is seriously infringing on more important things, like basking in Kitten Feedback.

AntigoneUnbound- I hope to bring out more of why Tara is reacting the way she is to the book. Buffy's reactions are more easily rendered, at least as you pointed out on the surface. It's harder to do justice to anyone by Season sux what with the damage to the foundations and all. The fact that there were already flaws in Xander made S-6 even more damaging for him.

But perhaps my biggest complaint was the total destruction of the possibilities Spike had at the end of S-5. The creature that evolved over S-6 was a sham and yes, he's dust.

Thanks for coming along for the ride, Mary.

Guppy- You make me blush happily. I promise to be catch and release here at Pens!

Darth Pacula- To be compared with Pratchett. Oh dear. How will I get my head through doorways?

The taking of another's power and/or soul is one of those truly multicultural references. It shows up in so many ways in so many places I can't even begin to list them all. Sort of like the near universal reaction to bureaucrats in any society that has developed the flow chart in any form.

Spike's gone, Tara killed him in his sleep. Now she has to deal with it.

Yes, I wonder about the growing plot lines sometimes, but these things happen when you get a fixer-upper and are doing the work yourself. I just hope the work is up to code!

Ressick- Normal books are one of the single most powerful things ever. All those ideas barely contained in print just waiting to spring when ever the cover is open. Imagine the danger in a book that doesn't have to wait.

I'm sorry to see that you too are behind in your Kitten reading. I'm afraid Real Life is far more contagious than I had feared.

tarebear- What's going to be really amazing is if don't wrap myself up knots and fall over before getting to the end!

I have it easier than most Kittens. My wife is a good amateur masseuse :)

Thanks everyone. I am off to work on the next chapter, tentatively scheduled to be up before the fall rains wash me downstream

Jixer

Post subject: Dance Of The Salamander-Chapter Four
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:03 am 
5. Willowhand

Chapter Four

Tara awoke with a start. It took her a moment to recognize the bed she was in, and her heart sank knowing the small spot of warmth nearby wasn’t Willow. Tara tried to move quietly when a soft sigh came to her ears. She looked over at the chair and saw Dawn wrapped in a blanket sleeping in a position that proved she was a teenager. Tara blinked her eyes and focused on the soft light on Buffy’s dresser. There, wrapped around a candlestick from downstairs, was Betty sleeping on her back and covered with a soft blue flame in her sphere. Tara smiled and tried to get out of bed silently.

“Hunh?” Buffy said coming awake.

“Five more minutes,” Dawn said without moving.

“Morning...” Betty began as a yawn overtook her.

“I’m sorry,” Tara said softly. “I didn’t want to disturb you. You all looked so, so...”

“If you say cute I shall snort derisively,” Betty grumbled. “I haven’t looked cute asleep for...a very long time. Ow!” the salamander grumbled as she rolled over. “Sorry, popping noises and bone conduction can be startling.”

“Its the gravity,” Buffy complained as she stretched. “Morning gravity is the worst.”

“What?” Dawn asked as she simply stood up and stretched. “First bathroom!”

“Hey!” Buffy huffed but Dawn made it to the door first.

“One day-” Tara started.

Spike was asleep on the pile of pallets. One flared with blue flame and drove itself into his heart...

“Tara?” Buffy asked with a gentle worried tone.

“Buffy,” Tara said with shock in her voice. “Last night I-I-I...I staked Spike.”

“In a dream?” Buffy asked with a thoughtful frown.

“No,” Tara said in a frightened whisper. “You were crying and, and-”

“You did what I couldn’t do,” Buffy said with a sigh.

“I used magic and I killed,” Tara said with panic beginning to show. “Buffy, that’s not me!”

“And axing a demon is you?” Buffy asked cautiously.

“That was different,” Tara insisted. “He was going to kill Willow!”

“The book,” Betty hissed. “Perhaps its trying to make you into what it wants. That would fit from that damned thing. I knew we should have burned the last two-”

Buffy and Tara both stared at Betty as she shut her jaws and turned a shade of dark pink. Buffy crossed her arms.

“Okay, Betty, out with it!” she demanded.

“It was when I was with the League of Flame,” Betty said reluctantly. “I was going through an idealistic phase and out to save the world. Hanging out with young people can do that to you and they were all so damn young. Anyway, Berasus the Silver had scryed a new collection of unstable magic in an impossible book of dark magic. We tried to destroy them all, but Berasus wanted to to study the last two, to figure out how it had happened so we could make sure it never happened again. Sounded good at the time.”

Tara heard the regret and hurt in the salamander’s voice.

“What happened?” she asked gently.

“Young and out to save the world, remember?” Betty sighed. “Berry was trying to turn a young woman away from sorcery and to white magic. Greta Manstein came across as a bird with a wing down. In reality she was a bloody vulture. I was guiding a lava flow away from a village when she killed him and took one of the books. She showed up in Berlin calling herself Von Manstein. Tarque went after her, but he was centuries away from his full power. She nearly killed him before he realized no amount of dragon honour was going to get through to a pocket reality if the owner didn’t want him there. Jane...I think part of her did die.”

“What happened to Manstein?” Buffy asked. “And the other book?”

“Von Manstein grew more powerful and she got arrogant,” Betty said grimly. “She also embraced the whole Berlin decadence scene, so much so she ended up trusting the wrong young lecher. He killed her, took the book and flat disappeared. As for the other book there was a young Watcher whose Slayer had just been called. She kept it safe. I think that’s the one we have here. I doubt the Council of Watchers understood just how dangerous this thing was until Warner stole it after the war.”

“What war?” Dawn asked coming back into the room.

“Second World,” Betty replied. “We were discussing the book’s history.”

“Oh!” Dawn said suddenly. She ran out of the room and came back in a few seconds with a sheet of paper. “We found those other books of Willow’s!”

Buffy and Tara looked at the printout. Buffy frowned.

“Published in 1924?” she asked.

“Look at the next to last line!” Dawn said eagerly.

“D. Cooper, N. Richardson, M. Kavanagh, P. Anderson et al?”

“Take the initials of the last names and you have?” Dawn said smiling.

“Cracker?” Buffy wondered. “Oh, right, its an anagram thing. That’s kind of stretching it.”

“It’s a start,” Tara said gently.

“There might be more,” Dawn said quickly. “Charlotte’s blinking.”

“You’re using Willow’s Powerbook?” Tara asked with a look of horror. “Honey, she’ll...oh, sorry...”

Dawn gave the witch a quick hug. “We’ll get her back,” Dawn said fiercely, then she gave Tara a shaky smile. “And then you can protect me because I can’t get that Avril Lavigne video off that I accidently downloaded.”

“Dawn,” Buffy began reflexively.

“Before you ground me for life let’s look at what Betty and I found,” Dawn said quickly. The teen pulled the laptop around and pulled up the first file. “It looks official.”

“It looks legal,” Buffy added. “Where did this come from?”

Betty conferred with Dawn for a moment. Then the salamander tilted her head. “Connecticut,” she said using the American pronunciation. “New Haven, I believe. It’s just part of a docket from a trial in 1921.”

“What’s the other file?” Tara asked hopefully.

Dawn opened it and frowned at the small size. “It’s the history of the other book about the heart. Looks like it was only published for a few years. It was required at Yale in 1924 until 1927.”

“I wonder how much they gouged them for it,” Buffy asked, her own memories of college textbook prices giving her voice a sullen edge.

“Three years,” Tara mused. “When did that other copy of the magic book disappear in Berlin?”

“I heard about it in ‘Twenty-Eight,” Betty replied thoughtfully.

“Maybe not so thin,” Dawn said brightly.

“Maybe,” Buffy agreed reluctantly. “Either way you need to get ready for school.”

“But you need me for research!” Dawn protested.

“The importance of education can’t be overlooked,” Betty said reluctantly.

“We won’t try anything without you,” Tara promised.

“But...” Dawn stopped and took a deep breath. “Okay. Not being immature here. I’’ll get dressed.”

“And I’ll track down our leads,” Betty said. “I’ll poke around the records of New Haven’s courts and then head to Yale.”

“Yale?” Buffy asked.

“Yale’s in New Haven,” Tara explained.

“And Yale has a marvelous medical history library,” Betty said happily. “You could get lost in those stacks...if you weren’t careful and, ah, dedicated.”

With that Buffy and Tara left Dawn’s room and Betty swirled away in a soft red flame. As they closed the door Buffy sighed.

“Will could have left all of this and gone to Yale,” Buffy said tiredly. “She could have gone anywhere. She stayed here because of me.”

“And because of that she and I met,” Tara pointed out with a soft smile. “Thank you.”

Jonathan Levinson glared at his cellmate again. Andrew Wells had been pacing. Now he was looking at his hand and wrist like it was the most important thing in the world. Jonathan was about to ask him what was so damn important when Anya swirled into the holding area looking more blonde than he remembered.

“Are you from Warren?” Andrew asked almost instantly with a breathless hope.

“Are you important to him?” Anya asked curtly.

“Yes!” Andrew hissed conspiratorially.

“No,” Jonathan said suspiciously.

“Keep it down, Jerk-athan!” Andrew snapped. “This is my break-out.”

“Not exactly,” Anya replied suddenly in the cell next to Andrew. “This is your chance to tell me everything about Warren Meers.”

“Why should I do that?” Andrew said with a brittle bravado.

“Because,” Anya grinned as her face shifted to her demonic visage. “If you don’t I’ll pull your spleen out through your left nostril and believe me, that will hurt like a bitch. Trust me on this.”

“I’m not sure about a project with multiple objectives,” Lilah Morgan said politely.

“Its not as much multiple objectives as it is a chance to use one to enhance the other,” the senior mage of the working group explained. “With the power and spells of the book we can put a sure hold on the new seer, perhaps even strengthen their ability to predict and interdict the future.”

There was a cheerful but muted buzz and Lilah frowned.

“Excuse me,” she said to the assembled sorcerers. “This might have a bearing on this.”

“I hate cell phones,” muttered the Black Griffon Society sorceress.

“Data recovered and the false flag planted,” Lilah said as she called up a file on her computer and projected it on the white board. The words ‘University of California at Sunnydale, Student File # UCSD 09-753-0318 appeared. “Just the basics, I’m afraid but it will give us more information for the scrying teams.”

“So that’s our little witch,” an adept of the Black Moon School observed drily. “Oh my goodness,” he said with a predatory smile. “‘Religion: White Wiccan’.”

“How nice,” Lilah said with the same smile.

“You know, you could take a nap until Betty gets back,” Buffy suggested as Tara wolfed down her second slice of bacon. “Reading that bad book yesterday seemed to take a lot out of you.”

“It-It was intense,” Tara admitted. “It was like studying w-w-with my mother.”

“Wicca lessons must have been intense,” Buffy said lightly.

Tara put down her food and looked away-and down. Buffy saw the fall of hair across Tara’s face and felt the kitchen lose much of its warmth. “I’m sorry,” the Slayer said.

“S-sorry,” Tara sighed. Then she lifted her head. “My mother didn’t follow Wicca.”

“Oh, I just thought...”

“She was traditional,” Tara explained. “I wanted to do magic, I had to really, but the training for it wasn’t...nice. And some of the spells weren’t nice either. I think that’s one reason I could believe I was going to be a demon.”

“What do you mean by not nice?” Buffy asked warily.

“Training or spells?” Tara asked.

“How about both?”

“I had to get the spells right or Momma would let me feel just a bit of what the spell could do to me if I failed,” Tara replied. “And if I tried doing spells on my own she’d use a switch. She used to tell me I had no idea how dangerous the places and powers we touched could be. Of course I couldn’t do what she could. The best I could do was help her, sometimes. She could do spells I couldn’t even get right in practice. Sometimes she did...curses.”

“And you couldn’t, or was it because you wouldn’t?”

“Curses felt wrong,” Tara shrugged. “I remember once Beth asked me to curse this girl who was making a play for a guy Beth thought was hers. I r-r-refused and Beth told my m-mother.”

“What happened?” Buffy asked.

“The girl transferred out the next week,” Tara answered. “Beth was kind of nice to me after that, at least until the cancer made Momma too weak to do anything.”

“What about the Wicca thing?” Buffy asked after a long moment.

“I started that when I was fourteen,” Tara winced. “I w-was good at it, and the spells didn’t feel bad.” Buffy saw Tara wince again at some memory. The Slayer got up and sat next to Tara. Buffy sat quietly, close but not crowding and waited. Tara closed her eyes. “Momma tore up my first Wicca book. She scolded me, told me she wasn’t raising some simpering dishrag. She wanted me to be a real witch, not some whiny fake waving crystals around and singing about the moon.”

“What did you do?” Buffy asked gently.

“I hid my magic books after that, even my spellbooks,” Tara replied sadly. “Just after that Momma had her first chemo treatments and things looked like they were going to get better. She had to use the soft magics while she was sick. But when she got stronger she tried to go back to ‘real’ magic. She wasn’t strong enough and I had to help her. Things didn’t go so well. I think at the end she just gave up.”

Buffy didn’t say anything. She just put her hand over Tara’s and sat next to her in the sunlight kitchen.

Betty meandered past the shelves, feeling lonelier than she wanted to admit. It wasn’t just the fact that there were no questions about where the good books were or the sleekest tail ever next to her. It was the students in their well lit chairs that stirred a growing nostalgia. She remembered the countless times she’d added light to the lamps or fires of classrooms across the world. The lectures and questions that had flowed under her enhanced light were as bright as a flame. She had learned so much, and been a part of others learning. Now looking at the intent faces of the young humans she yearned for those days. But so much had changed. Fire didn’t work well with electric lights, not even well crafted artisan flames. Nowadays...

“Concentrate, old girl,” Betty muttered as she shook herself.

Then she headed for the stacks with a flip of her tail.

Willow was calling for help and he couldn’t find her. Xander hurried down the long corridors of the new Sunnydale High he was building, only they kept changing to the old high school. He finally heard her clearly and started to the library but Miller was there at the doors looking at a clipboard.

“You’re not being paid for this, Mr. Harris,” the man in the impeccable suit said. “You’re building the ramp.”

Xander turned and saw the wide, well made ramp leading to the black pit. Above the pit there was a cherry banner that read ‘Welcome Students!’ in bright colors. The bell for assembly rang and rang...

Xander slapped the snooze bar and tried to clear his head. His dreams had been so strange of late, at least the parts he remembered. As he staggered out of bed Xander saw the computer his former financée had insisted on getting. He stopped and in sat down at the keyboard and turned the computer on. He pulled up the e-mail program and hit the only selection on preset.

Hi Will,

I need to talk to y-

Suddenly Xander saw Willow slumped in Tara’s arms. There was no one to send the message to. He looked at the screen but it was blurry and he couldn’t see it clearly. Xander started to head for and then ran to the bathroom and was violently sick. He cried and threw up until he was dry heaving and trembling. He staggered up and looked at the puffy, red-eyed face he was getting used to seeing in the mirror. Xander stumbled into his shower and dressed, then he finished with a shot of vodka just to take the taste of the morning out of his mouth.

“Sir, are you sure?”

D’Hoffryn looked at the young demon who had spoken out of turn. D’Hoffryn smiled kindly.

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“It’s just that the original writing, well,” the young demon felt suddenly very alone and unsure. “Perhaps it’s not a prophecy at all. Maybe it’s a warning.”

“You cannot be bound to ancient understandings, young man,” D’Hoffryn said in an authoritative but gentle voice. “We know more and understand the world better than previous generations. We must take our more complete knowledge and act on it.” Then he smiled. “Don’t worry, we know what we’re doing.”

The other half-dozen senior Vengeance Demons chuckled in a low, self satisfied way.

Anya held the Leatherman tool as she swirled towards the resonating tone it created under her control. Andrew had given it up as the one thing Warren had given him after a much too brief interrogation. She didn’t do steel well but it was all she had. Warren hadn’t been very sharing, and after the spineless way Andrew had folded at a tiny bit of pain she could see why. Suddenly the tool hummed loudly. Anya looked down and saw the dark haired young man wearing a backpack waiting at the bus stop below. Anya materialized next to him.

“I’d really like to flay you with a dull icicle, but I need you alive,” she snarled. Warren just looked at her.

“Do I know you?” he asked dully.

“You will,” Anya promised.

She touched her amulet and started the binding spell. The world became full of light and thunder. Even with her amulet’s protection Anya was stunned. Then all of the small snakes of light became one green bolt and she felt every nerve scream as she was tossed back into blackness.

Buffy guided more than drove the Jeep downtown. Tara held onto the overhead strap with white knuckles.

“Is my driving that bad?” Buffy asked.

“No, my balance is,” Tara said with a frown. “It’s strange-”

Buffy wheeled over hard as a Corvette cut them off and nearly clipped a city bus. Tara glared at the figure chatting on their cell in the departing sports car.

“Jerk!” Tara snapped.

The left front tire on the car blew and the vehicle headed for the sidewalk. Tara reached out and grabbed the air in front of her. The Corvette stopped at the curb in a screech of rubber. The driver leapt out of the car and tossed a smoking cell phone into the street. A police car coming the other way turned on its lights. Buffy pulled the Jeep over to a stop as the traffic slowed around them.

“Maybe we should walk,” she said carefully.

“Yes, walking,” Tara agreed with a shaking voice. “It’s good for us and for the environment.”

Buffy just looked at her friend as the shaken witch got out of the Jeep and leaned on the door. They walked past the stricken car as a young man and the cop looked at the the shredded front tire. The officer shook her head as they passed.

“I’ve never seen a blowout like this,” she muttered.

“It’s shredded,” the driver said in shocked voice. “And my cell battery must have shorted out at the same time.”

“You were driving a stick shift and talking on a hand-held cell at the same time?” the officer asked opening her notebook.

Buffy waited until they were clear of the small crowd and only then turned to Tara. “Did you do that?” she asked as evenly as possible.

“Not alone,” Tara said still nervous. “I might have been able to do the tire if I’d concentrated and expanded or maybe contracted the air inside but...”

“But?”

“Cars are metal!” Tara whispered worriedly. “And other stuff that’s not natural.”

“Very much so since it was a Corvette,” Buffy agreed.

“I stopped a car!” Tara said.

“Okay,” Buffy said hearing the panic edging into the witch’s voice. “What else did you stop?”

“What do you mean?” Tara asked.

“You stopped the idiot from crashing and maybe hurting other people,” Buffy pointed out. “You and Will have done some incredible things when lives were on the line.”

“She really did most of it,” Tara said with a hint of pride. Then Tara looked down suddenly.

“We’ll get her back,” Buffy said.

“Thanks,” Tara said softly brushing her eyes.

“Now, let’s get these magical doohickies,” Buffy said as she reached for the Magic Box’s door. “And-what the heck?”

Tara and Buffy looked at each other and then into the darkened, closed up store.

“Who is this?” Doctor Watson asked Lucinda as she held up one sheet of the drawing. The familiar figures were still there, but now there was a new figure separate from several others that were like him but in a cluster. The figure seemed to be pointing and shouting at a crying girl. The doctor wasn’t sure where the smoking shoes fitted into the story.

“He’s her boss, like Mr. Wilson is daddy’s boss, only Mr. Wilson is nice,” Lucinda explained. “He sent me crayons and a pad with pandas on it. I like pandas.”

“I like pandas too,” Georgia confided with a nod. “Now, what about this one?”

Lucinda looked at the drawing. Georgia had been startled to see this one, a small girl on a hospital bed with IVs attached. That was normal. The crowd of people with daggers, robes and what appeared to be briefcases surrounding her were not.

“Oh, they’re just trying to get me,” Lucinda shrugged.

“Why, Lucinda?”

“For the pictures.”

“Good lords of pain and taxes!” D’Hoffryn fumed. “I wanted one puny mortal! How could she screw that up?”

“I believe it was a robot-” The younger demon said.

“I can see that, thank you!” the senior demon snapped as he brought his hand down on the crystal ball. “Anya, you hot-headed idiot! Did you even bother to look at the aura of your victim? Of course not. Because there wasn’t one!”

“Does this mean we’ll have to abort?” the youngster asked hopefully.

“Of course not!” snorted another senior Vengeance Demon. “Maclay is definitely the one who will unlock the Orb’s power.”

“‘And the oldest seven’s amulets will open the complete power of the Orb’” another older demon quoted. “Think of the wrongs that will cry out to be avenged with all that power.”

“But the original writings-”

“We know what we’re doing!” seven voices snarled as one.

“Nothing’s missing out of the training room,” Buffy said as she came out of the back.

“All of the books are here,” Tara added. “The cash register’s off with the drawer out and nothing seems to be missing.”

“She never opened the store?” Buffy wondered.

“No, the mail’s been picked up,” Tara observed. “Maybe she got a call, you know, f-from some girl.”

“Or she...”

“No!” Tara said quickly. “I mean...I’ve got to check on Willow!”

“Wait,” Buffy said quickly. “Don’t you need the book?”

“I know the spell,” Tara said confidently as she sat in a chair at the research table. “Watch over me?”

“Sure,” Buffy started. Then she shrugged because Tara was already gone.

“No!” Willow called out uselessly. “Don’t do it!”

In front of her a young woman handed Rack a bundle of sage.

“Did you pay for it?” he asked.

“You said it had to be taken,” the woman said. “I took it. Now please, I’m feeling so weak.”

Rack nodded and then smiled as he touched the woman’s arm. Willow could see a bit of red flow into the woman and a large amount of cooler looking green magic flow out into Rack.

“You’re stronger than you think!” Willow yelled angrily. “It’s like you’re taking cheap magic steroids for God’s sake! You don’t need him! Can’t you feel what he’s doing to you?” Willow watched as Rack escorted the now giddy woman out with a hand on her rump. “How could you be so stupid?” The distraught redhead slipped to the smooth floor of her red prison. “How could I have been so stupid? Oh, don’t do this, Rosenberg! No despair, no fading! Tara’s going to get me out!”

Willow looked for something to make her think. She looked at the bundle on the desk. It was a smudge and the vaguely familiar price tag was still on it.

“Why sage?” Willow wondered. “Why stolen sage to be more precise? Sage is from the family Lamiaceae, genus and species Salvia officinalis if it’s the kitchen sage. Tara said sage is earth elemental and so body and its Crone so things like silence, oh yeah, and happy stuff like graveyards...of course! By stealing it you can reverse the magical polarity from a good growing thing to a harmful mimic if knowingly stolen.”

“Honey?” a familiar voice asked.

Willow whirled and looked at Tara on the other side of the cold red wall. The blonde looked tired, her mouth downcast and eyes that should be blue but for the crimson shield were hiding worry and pain.

“Tara,” Willow said trying to touch her. “You’re so tired, baby.”

“I’m fine,” Tara said quickly. “Finey McFine.”

“You’re using black magic to get into this place, aren’t you?” Willow asked in a rush. “This is a dark magic spell, you were taught how to use it even if you’re too smart to go down that path, and you’re-you’re hurting yourself to get here.”

“I had to see you,” Tara said softly.

“You’re not answering my question,” Willow said fighting back tears. “Which means it’s a big yes.”

Tara looked away from Willow’s eyes. Willow knew that meant she was going to try to lie. Suddenly Tara looked past Willow and scowled. Willow followed her gaze and saw the row of trophies.

“That’s yours! the blonde growled.

“Tara!” Willow shouted with as much power as she could muster. “Tara Maclay! You listen to me right now!”

“Sorry,” Tara mumbled as she looked down.

“Honey, this isn’t going to work,” Willow said softly. “It’s tearing you apart-”

“I’m fine,” Tara interrupted urgently.

“You were going to go all butch and big scary witch at the same time, baby,” Willow said with a gentle sadness. “You need to be at your best, honey, or you’re going to get hurt and even if you can get me out but you get hurt because of me then I’m not really going to get out of here, not really. That’s kind of jumbled but you understand, don’t you?”

“I understand,” Tara said so softly after a long second.

“I’ll be okay if you are,” Willow said.

“I love you,” Tara said suddenly with urgent longing.

“I know,” Willow replied with a real smile. “I love you too, but you have to go, baby.”

Tara just looked at her lover for a moment that could have held the life of a star, then she was gone. Willow leaned against the wall and sighed.

“What the Hell is going on here?” Rack bellowed.

Willow whirled around to see a giant face swim into focus in front of her.

“Strawberry, you just might be a problem,” Rack said with a frown. “I just felt something nasty around here.”

“Did you look in a mirror?” Willow snapped.

“Nice try, kid,” Rack grinned. “I think next time we recharge my happy little home I’m starting with this cell.”

To Be Continued

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:15 am 
10. Troll Hammer

DIBS!!

great great update! woo and hoo!

first off, i'm a little worried about the little changes that's happening to tara... staking spike, eating meat, manipulating non-earth-based objects... is it really the influence of the book or could it be something else?

we get a glimpse of the sort of hardship tara went through growing up not in the hands on the males of the family as per usual but in the hands of a mother who didnt want her to practice white wicca, instead wanting her to be a real witch and do real magic.
Quote:
I think that’s one reason I could believe I was going to be a demon.”

we see dawn trying to be useful and be research girl... we see xander still at a loss for his best friend's death... we see lucinda drawing perhaps people meaning to do her harm because of her gift... we see buffy staying steadfast for her friend... we see betty's loneliness for times gone by... we see rack's hideous face and even more hideous intent through willow's red prison... so many things going at once and yet interwoven that it made sense overall...

we see d'hoffryn and the other vengeance demons not being put off in getting tara to get her to unlock the orb's power... we see lilah and her group finally finding the identity of their future seer... we see willow inside her red prison never losing hope of tara getting her out... boy! tara is wanted by so many people for so many different reasons, but i liked the latter most of all... call me romantic...

can't wait to read what happens next...

Quote:
“I think next time we recharge my happy little home I’m starting with this cell.”

uh-oh!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:33 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Jixer
What a lovely long update! or long lovely update if you like. I like, both.

As many have said, so many strands interwoven in this fic giving a rich and complex read.

So Tara has dabbled in dark magic before? Perhaps that will help her to fight the effects this book seems to be having on her. Willow is hanging on, but how are they .. Tara... going to get her out of Rack's hold.

I feel so sorry for little Lucinda: she sees these people are after her, yet she doesn't have anyone who understands to protect her and she's just a kid.

Looking forward to the next update.
Anne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:10 am 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

Kitten feedback. Two words I crave, probably more than I should :blush

tarebear- Tara's always been stronger than most people have suspected. That she got out and went to college is a proof. There are few children like Tara, products of parents that should not be allowed hamsters much less children. I have met them so sometimes there seem to be children who will be good no matter what. That said Tara knows things she doesn't want to and under stress who knows what will be remembered?

As for the Scoobies, they're already damaged by months of odd occurrences that had they been on a TV series would have made viewers suspect drug use by the writers. Now there's a Willow shaped hole in their lives and safe, stable Tara may cracking a bit under the strain. The already stressed individuals will have to deal as best they can given how much the last few months have cost them.

On the other side of the coin things are going swimmingly. Plans are being made and people are making decisions about what to wear to celebrate those plans coming to fruition when they get what they want. After all, what's standing in their way? Nothing but a little Wiccan with a wing down...

By the way, don't worry about being a romantic here at Romantics Anonymous. "Hi, I'm Jixer and I'm a Romantic."

spells42- Either is fine!

Tara hasn't just dabbled in the darker magics, she's had training, But as far as her traditional and powerful mother or anyone else could tell nothing took root. Whether that will be and advantage or not remains to be seen.

Lucinda's fate does seem precarious, but then she's been living that way for a while. Her quiet acceptance (and sheer gumption) reflects that of a lot of kids I've worked with over the years. Sometimes its just been astonishing.

Thank you so much for your time and words for my story. It keeps me going back to the keyboard.

Jixer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:30 am 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day, Jixer.

Whew, these updates just keep getting meatier don't they.

First off, I loved the way you had them all wake up simultaneously at the start. Don't know why, but it just resonated for me.

Buffy's reaction to the news of Spike being dust on the wind seemed a little subdued to me, but given his recent actions, and the fact that they're all concentrating on retrieving Willow explains that. I'm sure it'll hit her, and Tara more so when they have a chance to process it.

Ahh, Anya threating that little twerp Andrew with a little spot of bodily harm. Sounds good to me. And you captured the spirit of nerd bickering perfectly.

So, Lilah and her lackeys have their eyes on Tara? Well, that can't be good, now can it?

Your revelations on Tara's mother were surprising. In most stuff I've read on the board (AntigoneUnbound's Gods Served and Abandoned aside) have tended to paint her in a much more sympathetic, even saintly light. But you've made her a touch more flawed, and as such more human.

Boy, Xander sure does seem to be falling apart, doesn't he? I just hope this doesn't lead to him doing something he shouldn't. That suit is still buzzing around somewhere, I'm sure.

Okay, what the heck are D'hoffryn and co up too? Whatever it is, it can't be good. I just hope Anya manages to come out of it in one piece. And what's this Orb thingy they mention? Though this little bit makes me think they're meddling where they shouldn't be.

Quote:
“But the original writings-”

“We know what we’re doing!” seven voices snarled as one.

Tara does seem to be slipping out of control more and more as time goes by, as evidenced by her little spat with the corvette. This book is having one heck of a bad influence on her. They'd better get Willow back sharpish, or she might not find the girlfriend she knew when she does get back.

Boy, I can't wait to see where you take us next. Right now though, I gotta go run and watch Dr Who.

Bye,
Paul.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next