The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight o/t World Revisited
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:44 am 
The first time I saw this show, I remember thinking that it was too slow to be sandwiched between Spiral and The Gift, and that it didnt have enough W/T scenes. However, since then, Ive watched it a few more times and I realize that it actually has some very nice moments.

I loved seeing take-charge Willow in this episode. Despite the fact that Willow had lost as much as anyone, she was still strong and in control. I hope we get to see more of this Willow in season six.

Also, there were some nice, albeit brief, moments between Willow and Tara in the ep. The scene in the gas station when Willow was calming Tara down, the Were good? line in Xanders apartment, and the forehead kiss between Willow and Tara were all very touching moments.

Another sweet moment in the apartment was when Tara reached out for Willow as she headed for the bedroom. Tara may not have been able to converse intelligently with Willow, but she knew when Willow was no longer at her side and she didnt like it. I thought that was very cute.

Aside from the W/T moments, I also liked the bedroom scene between Buffy and Willow because I thought it reaffirmed their close friendship. Buffy isnt willing to break down in front of many people, but Wills has always been one of them. And although I didnt really buy the fact that Buffy would snap out of her catatonic state so quickly (it seemed too movie of the week), I thought Sarah did a terrific job in portraying that moment.

As for the scenes that were cut from the show, the bunny scene between Tara and Anya in the apartment sounded like it was hilarious. I doubt theyll do it, but if that scene was filmed and put on the DVD version, it would be reason enough to buy it.

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:45 am 
I still think the entire Inside-Buffy's-Head stuff was too rushed and incomplete. This likely would have come out better in a slower part of the season, rather than at the second-last spot.

That said, the rest of the show was done well. The Spike exposition scene is pure classic - "Are you all very stoned?" - "Now, are we considering there may be some link between Ben and Glory?" - and the alleyway multi-morph scene was also well-done. Plus all the stuff Scout mentioned.

Kal

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:46 am 
"Is everyone here very stoned?" is the best part of the episode.

This (besides Forever) is the only one of the
last six episodes to survive being eaten by my VCR. So I've seen it several times. I find it very dull and repetitive.

The worst part is the scene where Ben and Glory switch several times in front of Dawn and talk to each other. The guy that plays Ben is a pretty horrible actor. That scene is just painful.

There are some nice moments. Spike's above line, Willow taking charge ("I will get VERY VERY cranky"), Willow saying goodbye to Tara,
Dawn whimpering "I want to go home", and Glory's lovely line "You think I'M crazy? Well, guess what, honey? I'm the one-eyed chiclet in the land of the blind."

But other than that, dull, dull, dull, dull.

------------------
"I tried to be unlovable/why couldn't you do the same?"

-(jewel)

"Spank us 'til Tuesday! We promise to be bad if you do!"
-(drusilla, angel)

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:48 am 
I thought the balancing act in this ep was really, really good. Spike was a great comic subplot, being the only one to remember Ben is Glory. Willow's dive into Buffy's subconcious was cool, even touching as we see her welcome home her newborn little sister (awwwwwwwww). And it was a welcome pause before the big battle, letting us see what's up with Ben anyway.

------------------
"O let my name be in the Book of Love.
If it be there, I care not of
That other book Above...
Strike it out! Or write it in anew.
But let it be in the Book of Love!"
--Omar Kyam

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:49 am 
What was the importance of the scene with Joel Grey? Unless it comes up in the last episode which, quite frankly, I don't remember happening.
I did like the take charge Willow, but that has happened before. Willow just stays in the background until someone is needed to take charge and then she cracks the whip.
BTW this just happened to catch my attention, Willow kneeling in front of Buffy after Buffy breaks down, Willow is wearing like four inch heels. That just doesn't fit with her normal wardrobe.

------------------
If you don't need me, I'm gonna follow the red-head

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:50 am 
I liked the parts of this episode that portrayed how close Willow and Buffy's friendship is. Season 4 and 5 were about the Scoobies growing up, which means they drifted as most friends do, they get loves, friends, jobs, etc. But a few scenes in this episode reaffirm their eternal loyalty to each other. Espicially how Buffy breaks down in front of Willow, but also the way Willow remebered things Buffy had said to her in chem. class. Only a close friend would remember some random thing their friend said. Everyone has a friend they will always go back to no matter what the circumstances and that friendship is potrayed by the small things in this episode.

And my favorite line of the episode is definately, 'we've already deja'd that vu'. Very funny and Willowesque, plus I can use it in every day dialogue.

------------------
willow: "i don't get wild, wild on me equals 'spaz'"

"That's my girl"

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:51 am 
I just have to share this story because to me, it's too cute to keep to myself so skip over this post if you want to. Until tonight, I was oblivious to the fact that Buffy even aired Sunday nights at 7pm (I know, I'm so ashamed!) which just goes to show that the WB is just trying to run the show into the ground as far as advertising its reruns. So I'm sitting in my room listening to music when my father knocks on my door and tells me Buffy's on. Surprised, I walk into the living room to see the opening credits on the TV. My father, from day one, has teased me about Buffy so nothing surprised me more than when he plopped down on the couch and started to watch the show. I guess he figured that since I was standing there, he wasn't going to avoid watching it.

So we're sitting there, my father and I, bonding over Buffy. And the whole time, as another character enters, I'm explaining who they are, how they fit into the show, what's going on so far, what will happen, and the whole time he sat there nodding and asking questions.

And then, to ruin it all, the phone rings. He has to go into the computer room where our TV has broken and work. He comes out over an hour later and asks, "Stupid question, but is it over?" So I said, "Yes, dad, it's been over for quite some time now."

So later we're sitting watching a movie and I asked him how he felt about the only 20 minutes he saw of Buffy and he said, "Cheated! I was just starting to get into it and I had to go and work! So what happened in the rest of the episode anyway?" So I explained to him what happened and promised him we'd watch "The Gift" that I have on tape.

So I made a Buffy fan out of my father and my brother...now if I could just get my mother to sit down and watch an episode...

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:52 am 
You know I really thought in season 5 that willow and buffy really weren't that close. I mean buffy was with dawn all the time and willow was with tara.

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:53 am 
Agreeing with geekgod about my favorite Willow-speak of Season 5: "I think we've already deja'd this vu" .

Also, although I know I already said this at the time of the original airing of this episode, I'll say it again: the little girl they had playing "KidBuffy" was OK, but nowhere near as cute as the REAL SMG was at that age (cf. the Burger King commercials )!

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:54 am 

holy cow, Hemiola! i just saw that commercial the other day, and i couldn't stop approaching the TV to try to pinch SMG's cheeks!! what a little cutie!!

ok...now back on topic...

------------------
"I am a whiz!"
"She is a whiz!"
"If ever a whiz there was..."

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:55 am 
quote:
Originally posted by gypsyfoot:
What was the importance of the scene with Joel Grey? Unless it comes up in the last episode which, quite frankly, I don't remember happening.

Well, that's how they found out [i:478b3789a9]when[/i:478b3789a9] the ritual would be, [i:478b3789a9]what[/i:478b3789a9] was in involved and [i:478b3789a9]how[/i:478b3789a9] to stop it.

------------------
That other book Above...
Strike it out! Or write it in anew.
But let it be in the Book of Love!"
--Omar Kyam

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:56 am 
One thing that really impressed me about this episode was Amber's performance and the way she stayed in character as brain-sucked Tara throughout. All that mumbling to herself, looking around, pawing Willow, etc., is Amber making it up as she goes, most likely through multiple takes. In the opening scene, if you'll recall, the shooting script called for Tara to be sitting off in a corner. Instead she's at the boarded-up windows, looking out through the various slats.

Keeping up that kind of performance is hard work. Doing it so you can complete the overall effect of the scene when you're not even the main focus of the scene shows true dedication.

Yay Amber!

------------------
Remember the Kitten Board Mantra: "Joss is nuts about Tara, Willow/Tara and Amber!"

"Nothing excites me more than the possiblity that I might fail." - Joss Whedon

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:57 am 
Well, I kind of feel indifferent towards "The Weight Of The World" really. Oodles of dream sequences, oodles of fun. Plenty of riddles to get out teeth stuck into. However, lots of riddles and dream sequences does not necessarily make for a good episode. It was better than some we've seen this Season, but it wasn't as good as the previous episodes we've seen. The acting was superb, with Sarah, Michelle and Alyson being on top form. But this episode heavily reminded me of The X Files episode "Amor Fati" with all the dream sequences. There were oodles of dream sequences and riddles that didn't make sense in this episode, as in The X Files one. That revelation at the end. Woah!

Willow / Buffy: Now, this was really Willow's episode. She's had plenty this Season, and this one was probably the weakest out of them all in terms of plot, but definitely a great performance from Alyson in the acting stakes. I loved Willow's comment: "Hey, you're the first Slayer that tried kill us in our dreams. How ya been?" to the first Slayer. That was cool. I was also impressed with Willow's leadership skills in the time of crisis. Buffy. She's got issues; she don't want to kill Dawn, but she may have to. Oh, dear! She stayed in a catatonia for quite a while and that was about it.

Xander / Spike: Great to see Xander and Spike working together to help Dawn and Buffy. I loved it when Spike hit Xander. A very comical moment. Let's hope Xander and Spike continue to get the screentime they deserve, and it reminded me of their previous encounter in "Triangle".

Anya / Tara: A serious lack of screentime for them both this week, but since the other regular characters were being important to the storyline, I can let this slip by. There were copious chances to develop Anya this week, but they weren't taken advantage of. Taking care of Tara could have provided an extremely good medium to develop Anya, but shame it didn't happen. Amber Benson continues to show her versatility as an actress.

Ben / Glory / Dawn: I found the scenes with Glory/Ben extremely difficult to understand. Are they complex characters (or character?) or are they simply just confusing? I can't make up my mind! Michelle was superb this week. I felt really sorry for her when Glory/Ben kept pushing her around. Bitch/Bastard!

Some characterisation happened in this episode, but it strayed from the action and humour that made last week's episode so successful. Not the worst Buffy episode of the Season, but not necessarily the best, either.

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:58 am 
quote:
Originally posted by morgan1707:
Taking care of Tara could have provided an extremely good medium to develop Anya, but shame it didn't happen.

There actually was a scene written where Anya is taking care of Tara, but alas it was cut for time. I'd love to see the footage if they actually shot it.

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:59 am 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyalvr:
"Is everyone here very stoned?" is the best part of the episode.

Willow saying goodbye to Tara,

Um, I was just watching this again last night. I might have missed this. But I don't remember her saying that.

I'll watch it again later today. And see if I can find it. You're most likely right, but I wasnt to check for myself.

------------------
IM: Taramaclay69
----
Look, I realize that every slayer comes with a expiration mark stamped on the package.. But I want mine to be a long time from now.. Like a Cheeto.

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:00 am 
Wow, BBOvenGuy, upon reading the shooting script last night in order to find out what the bunny scene was (I do agree, it would have been funny to see. Anya's bunny fear is both hysterical and perplexing, but I would've liked to see the scene after it too, where Tara awkwardly tries to connect with Anya because Willow is not there and Anya,at first, doesn't know what she's trying to do.) and I didn't notice that about Tara. I can't remember who directed that episode, someone help me out, because maybe it was changed during shooting. It happens sometimes. If not, kudos to Amber and her performance!

And Morgan, I too would like to see Xander get more screen time. I feel like he was so pushed to the side this season. Someone was making comments earlier that Nick Brendon was the worst actor on the show. Now, I'm not rehashing a discussion that should by all means stay closed, I'm just saying perhaps people see it that way because he hasn't been given anything really good to work with. I've never actually considered myself a big Nicholas Brendon fan. I've just kinda always appreciated the way he's delivered his one-liners.

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:01 am 
I'm definitely annoyed that that scene didn't make it to the episode. It would have been excellent.

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:02 am 
The Tara, Anya scene would have been cute, but I'm glad they left it out.

After Tara got brainsucked I think the writers tried to make the point that Tara only really recognised and reacted to Willow, for instance at the hospital in TL she took little notice of the others and was totally un-responsive to Buffy's hug and only became agitated when she was forced away from Willow, also at the end of the episode, even though she allowed Dawn to feed her, she still constantly looked to Willow for comfort and confirmation, even saying her name at one point, the pattern continued in Spiral where she again relied on Willow both physically and emotionally to comfort her.

I think the point was beautifully made in WotW during the scene before Willow goes to help Buffy, Tara again calms at Willow's touch and despite the fact that she may not have fully understood what Willow was saying to her, she is completely attentive and cries and reaches out to Willow when she leaves.

If they'd let the scene with Anya stay in, it would negate all that, it would show that Tara would pretty much be happy with anyone comforting her, as long as someone did, which would have ruined it, Willow's total devotion and the fact that Tara still knew and reached out to her was the most wonderful thing about the last 4 episodes for me.

------------------
I am in thunderous agreement, oh glittering, glistening Glorificus! : Jinx in Tough Love

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:03 am 
I see your point, minion, and I understand, but I respectfully disagree.

All the other times we've seen brainsucked-Tara act in a completely unresponsive manner toward anyone else, Willow has always been present. In "Tough Love" she freaked out and was reaching out for Willow as they wheeled her away; similarly, in TWOTW she was reaching for Willow as she went into the bedroom. Granted, her focus is almost entirely on Willow in this state.

But what happens when a good amount of time passes, and Willow hasn't come back? We don't know how she acted in the psych ward that first night, and it's never really clear how much time passes between Willow going into the bedroom and this scene. (Granted, not hours or anything, but it could have been anywhere from a few seconds to fifteen or twenty minutes.)

I think it'd be natural for her to seek comfort--not because just anyone can do so, but because she is very much aware of Willow's absence and worried by it. That's my read on it: I found it extremely touching because to me, Tara's agitation said a lot about her concern for Willow, as well as an instinctive desire to be with her.

At work recently, I found myself looking after a mentally handicapped young man who'd gotten separated from his mother. It was intermission at the theater, and she'd left him to use the handicapped restroom while she went to the women's room, probably not anticipating that the line would be so long. For the first ten minutes or so he was fine; while his mother was there, he focused on her, and kept to himself after she left, not really aware, it seemed, of anyone else's presence. But when he'd been waiting for a while and she wasn't back yet, he began reaching out to the nearest person, who happened to be me--he held on to my arm, followed me around, spoke to me, but the whole time his concern was for his mother's whereabouts. He kept asking me where she was, if she was all right, for me to make sure she hadn't left him.

So no, I don't feel it would have undermined anything as far as the strength of the W/T relationship goes. Your mileage may vary, of course; as I said I completely understand your viewpoint. I'm merely offering up my own.

------------------
"Dawn, the hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live. For me." -- Buffy, "The Gift"

"If I had only thirty seconds to live, this is how I would want to live them: looking into your eyes . . . Always remember: I love you." -- Xena, "Friend in Need"

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:04 am 
I think I agree with you Shanie. It reminds me of the end of Tough Love when Dawn was talking to Tara and Tara then turned round saying "Willow?". It seems like she is happy to be with any of the Scoobies, but it's Willow that her brain can focus on properly. And it's Willow that her brain tells her she wants.

------------------
"She looked across at Willow, whose face was filled with light. She had never felt so calm and happy, and strong..." ~ Unseen: Door To Alternity

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:05 am 
Shanie, I certainly don't mind you disagreeing in the slightest, and I totally see your point of view too

That's why I love this board so much, no 2 people watch the same scene in the same way, everyone has a different opinion and sees different things and of course it always gives me an excuse to watch the episodes again just to see someone else's take on them

Edited: Because I can't spell!

------------------
I am in thunderous agreement, oh glittering, glistening Glorificus! : Jinx in Tough Love

[This message has been edited by minion (edited July 24, 2001).]

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:06 am 
Besides which, minion, you're ah...a minion. Kind of means you have to agree doesn't it?

*peers up at minion's sig*

------------------
"She looked across at Willow, whose face was filled with light. She had never felt so calm and happy, and strong..." ~ Unseen: Door To Alternity

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:07 am 
Damn, I knew that sig was a mistake!

Still, that's what I get for my recent sub-standard toadying, I must be punished severely, please feel free Oh Mighty Ruthificus

------------------

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:08 am 
quote:
Originally posted by minion:
That's why I love this board so much, no 2 people watch the same scene in the same way, everyone has a different opinion and sees different things

Yeah, and when we state differing views, it doesn't all degenerate into a screaming, fist-flailing dogpile or anything like that.

Which is just fine with me, y'know. I can totally live without the excess bruises and minor flesh wounds.

I like it here.

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:09 am 
Amen to that Shanie!

I was shocked when I first came here, I expected it to be like a lot of other boards where everyone disrespects each other and discussions degenerate into slanging matches!

I love hearing other peoples opinions about the show, even though I've watched it from the beginning, I've gained a much deeper understanding of it since I started lurking and posting here, often realisng the importance of something that was said or done in a scene, when I would have originally probably dismissed it

This board is like a breath of fresh air to me, and as you say, I like it here too!

------------------

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:11 am 
quote:
Originally posted by Zahir:
Well, that's how they found out when the ritual would be, what was in involved and how to stop it.

Does this mean I will have to stop paying attention to what Willow is wearing and start paying attention to the story line?

------------------
If you don't need me, I'm gonna follow the red-head

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:12 am 
I saw 'TWOTW' for the first time last night and, while it was kinda slow, it wasn't *as* dull as i thought it would be. There were some nice moments:
- When Willow is being Take-charge-Willow I liked how she sees Tara begin to say something or other and she just melts and goes over to help her. So sweet.
- Is it wrong of me to have gotten a kick out of seeing Spike slap Buffy across the face? Um, it probably is.
- I actually liked Xander this episode, i mean i've always liked him, but him stabbing doc just kind of made me do a silent "yay!"
- When Dawn hit Ben over the head, i just about went "you go girl!" but then he turned into Glory and all that was left to say was "D'oh!"

Other things:
- Did anyone else think the little Buffy looked like Britney Spears? I mean her face just had a certain Britney quality to it. Yes, I have quite possibly been brain-sucked.
- All the helping-of-Dawn stuff Ben has done this season was totally undone in that little moment where he gives up Dawn to the minions. What an absolute Bastard.
- And I am *soooooooo* looking forward to next week (even though i'm really spoiled), the promo got me so psyched!

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:13 am 
Something I meant to mention before now; we see take-charge-Willow in this episode and everyone loves it, but I watched 'Becoming' the other day on Sky and honestly, Willow's doing a pretty good job of taking charge there as well.

------------------

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:14 am 
Willow has always been stronger than she thought she was. All the way back in Season 1 and Season 2, before all the witchy-stuff started, a lot of us thought Willow was destined to be a Watcher. There was even a suggestion of that at the end of "The Dark Age," but at that time Willow said she couldn't take the pressure. (And Xander added that the dental plan was crap. )

I seem to remember someone else who did a lot with magic during his college years and ended up as a Watcher. Maybe Willow's still on the Watcher track after all. It'd be nice to see that come back after Giles leaves (aka ASH goes back to the UK).

------------------
Remember the Kitten Board Mantra: "Joss is nuts about Tara, Willow/Tara and Amber!"

"Nothing excites me more than the possiblity that I might fail." - Joss Whedon

I

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:15 am 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaniezak:

I like it here.

Me, too.

------------------
That other book Above...