The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's "Funny Pages Friday" MKF 2-21-03
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:44 am 
Todays Dilbert page-a-day calender comic features a floating pen. With the floating pencil connection to our favorite red-headed witch, I thought it would be fun to talk about the comic strips that make everybodys day, maybe to uncover some new favorites.

As a little tiny employee in a great big company, Dilbert always makes me laugh. The artist, Scott Adams, so has his finger on the pulse of corporate America. The comics Rhymes with Orange and Far from Home are great because the humor is so dry.

P.S. I hope I started this thread in the proper manner because I am going to feel like a big dork if I didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:12 am 
I, personally, am a huge fan of the online comic 'Sluggy Freelance' (www.sluggy.com) and read it religiously... as should everyone! Evil rabbits, alien secretaries, and one dumb Torg! (OK, plug for really great comic over). I got 12 hours of sleep last night, and it reached above freezing here, so I'm in a n excellent mood! So excellent, in fact, that I'm actually going to go study! *gasp* So happy trails to all, and may your days be fruitful! -Nora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:33 pm 
Ta da!!!! I have a Job now!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:46 pm 
Fluffylamb.. I read the comics everyday, but not before the kitten... usually both sites are loading at the same time..

I found out that the Houston Chronicle does a make your own comic page that you don't have to sign up for. You choose the comics & the site puts it into an addy that you link to & it assembles the days comics for you ... monday through saturday... {no sunday comics :cry }

This is my usual read for comics:

skittles' daily comics fix

Here is the link to the main comic page... and there is a link in the middle for the make your own comic page:

Houston Chronicle Comics

I still have my Bloom County cartoon books & a small stuffed opus.. I also have Calvin & Hobbes & lots of old Doonesbury books, too. My current must have cartoon fix is Zits.... I teach teens, what do you expect??

My page a day calendar is from the New Yorker Magazine, home to Charles Addams.... :grin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:50 pm 
My cartoon has to be "Calvin and Hobbes", I love the fact that the little kid is the only one that sees his toy tiger as very real. I get told off though for laughing too loud at some of their cartoons though, Calvin's face when he burps just tickles the bejeesus out of me for some perculiar reason!

Congrats drlloyd11!:clap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:07 pm 
Alison Bechdel's "Dykes to Watch Out For."

Aaron Magruder's "Boondocks." I so agree with his opinion of our Commander-in-Chief and his minions.

The late Charles Addams. I love his bizarre, macabre cartoons.

Gary Larson's "The Far Side."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:22 pm 
My favorite is For Better Or For Worse. The artwork and the characters draw me in. That and I've been reading it since I was like three. I like a lot of others, of course, but FBOFW is my favorite. I particularly enjoy Crankshaft, Boondocks, Luann, Close to Home (thought oftentimes the style of the art bugs me), Garfield. Many others. Some day I'd like to have a strip myself, but it's harder to get jokes into a few panels and story development takes a little longer.

~Joy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:49 pm 
Still loving Bloom County, and Calvin and Hobbes, the old Shoe (by the late original artist, not the awful replacement), old B.C. and Farside. Dilbert used to be great, now it's so-so. The only current strip I find consistently funny is Overboard, and even that could be improved if they had lady pirates as well. The dog is perfect though.

Edited to add::hmm Well, ok, Get Fuzzy is really good too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:50 pm 
mscheckmate, I'm totally with you on "Dykes to Watch Out For"-- that is one funny comic! She (Alison Bechdel) came to talk on our campus last year, and though I wasn't there, I hear good things about her in person as well! --Nora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:08 pm 
I just *had* to say this somewhere...

Today I bought tickets to go see Margaret Cho next month and Alison Krauss in April!!!! :bounce

I can't believe both are going to be, like, 5 minutes from my house! This is SOOO cool. :D

Edited to add: Congrats for the job drlloyd11!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:48 pm 
argh! i dont know where to post my question. it's not a spoiler per se... and i ran away from the season seven board so i'm all left out... and dont know where to ask...

is it official yet that buffy is over? *crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:06 pm 
"is it official yet that buffy is over? *crosses fingers* "

I havent heard anything officially official about it being over, but I would assume its just a matter of time, considering the ratings and reviews.

As far as cartoons are concerned, I love Dykes to Watch Out For and I think I have every book that Alison Bechdel has compiled. The more mainstream comics that I like are The Far Side which always cracks me up, Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes. I used to like Doonesbury back in the early 80s when he was searching for Reagans brain. I also find Edward Goreys work fascinating; hes sort of macabre and Charles Addams-ish.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:42 am 
[quote:17732203a6]Quote:
Ta da!!!! I have a Job now!!
[/quote:17732203a6]

Hey good on ya!

May we ask what sort of job? Is it what you really want to do, or is it a 'holding it all together' sort of deal?