The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stripping Weekend! MKF 03/15/03
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:26 pm 
Forget stain & varnish - strip & sand is the thing !.
I'm stripping the last of the paint off my woodwork this weekend and got to thinking that quite a few of you are probably owners of cool leather tool belts, so I was wondering....

What are your DIY / decorating projects for this spring ?
Any quirky DIY skills ?
Any major DIY disasters ?
Favourite tools ?
Any vital tips ?

Then ...what do you think would be W/T favourite decorating things ?. What sort of look would they go for ? Would Tara be steering clear of any timber !?

My quirky thing is that I love building flat pack furniture !!!
:smash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:54 pm 
What are your DIY / decorating projects for this spring ? Moving into a new apartment or flat. Don't know where yet, but know it won't be where I am now. Why is that a project? I have books & "stuff". Too much stuff, but most of it is extremely necessary for my sanity.
Any quirky DIY skills ? can fix wood & house stuff, but not car stuff.
Any major DIY disasters ? any car projects.
Favourite tools ? drills, gadgets, bubble levels, toolbox.
Any vital tips ? Hammers should hit metal nails, not fingernails.

W/T: Willow can assemble anything. Tara can paint/decorate anything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:57 pm 
Speaking of stripping.........

It was the Red Light District Girls tonight at a local bar here in Dallas. Two very, very lovely girls wearing very, very little. Their ending performance was amazing.

Two chairs facing each other. The two dancers coming out with one of them blind-folded and the other carrying a lit candle that dripped wax and leather restraints.

And from there... let's just say it was a sight to behold. :grin

*sigh* God I love the bars here. And God do I love the Dallas weekly kitten meets.

Have a great weekend kittens!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:58 pm 
What are your DIY / decorating projects for this spring ?
Shelving in the kitchen and study! I need more space......actually, my kitchen cupboards are lucky to be on the wall still!
Any quirky DIY skills ?
None.....it is all hard! Although I am probably the opposite of skittles and can fix cars more than house stuff.....

Any major DIY disasters ?
Not by me! A little flood late last year from the central heating by the other half fiddling though! :grin :shock

Favourite tools ?

Screwdrivers.....they are good for everything!

Any vital tips ?

If you aren't sure.........what can go wrong? If it is big....don't do it! :spin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:33 pm 
Hmmmm, DIY.

Well my project has been ongoing since before Christmas. Re- build the kitchen, re-felt the roof, maybe add an extention.
But if the truth be told, my house has been in a constant state of flux since I moved in 15 years ago :(

I also have two boats to fettle for the season, and my camera collecting bug has ensured at least a couple of cameras to overhaul.

Don't even ask about the garden

No particular skills beyond the ability to actually do the work, and the only vital tip is Keep It Simple [Stoopid]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:41 am 
now what leather queen said, thats the stripping i know :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:55 am 
Well, I'm very good at stripping and waxing - had lots of practice. I'm talking floorboards, furniture and other woodwork, of course!
I've owned 1 flat and 2 houses, all of which I've done up. I have 2 huge tool boxes and assorted electrical appliances. I guess I'm just a practical girl at heart.
My tip would be to always, always, get a qualified plumber or gas fitter in to do any tasks involving gas or water. Do not EVER let my father talk you into letting him try to do a job for you - unless its to take the dog out of the house while you do the work yourself!

Willow and Tara - I suspect Willow would cheat and use magic, whereas Tara would rather learn a whole new skill .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:10 am 
Well, I bought my house way back in May and all of the rooms needed decorating. The only ones I have actually finshed are the living room, because I couldn't live with the god awful pink colour it was before and the hallway. Last month I woke up one morning and couldn't cope with magnolia any longer so I went to B&Q for some paint.

I am quite good at DIY but I am too lazy to do any, once I get started I am fine, it is the getting started that's the problem. :\

This weekend I was hoping to put new skirting board in my bathroom and wall paper my wardrobe, but I have only just crawlled out of bed so the chances of me actually getting any work done to day are, bugger all, really. Damm comic Relief putting Cat Deeley on at 3.30am. :)

I like putting together flat pack furniture too, I got to build my bed which I am very proud of, I finally got to use the Power Drill my dad had bought me for my birthday.

So any way I am off in search of a cup of tea and a shower, hope you have a good weekend all. :grin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:03 am 
I built my own bed too, but as I was doing it by myself I couldn't manouvre my old bed out of the room - so I sawed it into 4 bits :)

I don't do DIY, I'm not good at it. But I have the occasional go & I'm good at improvisation. I wallpapered one wall different in my Mum's bedroom. The other three I just painted the textured wallpaper white.

It was lovely paper, dark cloudy green with very thin gold squirls on it. I did measure it properly, I'm sure I did, with a plumb-bob and everything! I put it up & tried to match the pattern (okay it wasn't perfect, but I tried my best ;) )

I finished it, then realised the problem of using a dark wallpaper....the gaps between the sheets where they didn't quite meet showed up really obviously :shock

It's amazing how the subtle use of a black felt-tip pen can improve the look of the room :sh

Feena
-x-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:55 am 
I don't own a tool belt, sadly, but I have done some fun stuff here and there: rewired outlets, replaced a collapsed ceiling, built a shed, moved furniture countless times... it's fun stuff, eh?

Just a gorgeous spring morning here in Toronto, I'm gonna go dig out my bike and go for a ride! Too bad the trails are still snowy, I'll likely have to stick to roads. Still, it's great to have it warm and sunny!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:34 am 
I hope all kittens everywhere are having a lovely weekend. It's actually sunny in Scotland!:thud So I am one very happy bunny this weekend. Not that I actually plan leaving my computer. Only being able to visit your computer for two days every two weeks makes you an anti-social hermit.:p

I'm not actually that bad at DIY. I really enjoy the satisfaction you get when you complete the job. Just don't ever let me pick the colour scheme or interior decoration. My old bedroom back at my parents house is canary yellow and a really dark blue. Kinda like the direct holidays catalogue. I don't know what I was thinking.:blush

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:22 am 
Stripping! Ah, a thread I can lend my vast knowledge and expertese to! Okay, this one time, at a club in LA, there was this one girl, and she could do the most incredible thing with her... oh... right... you meant STRIPPING stripping as in not stripping but stripping with the stripping and uh... yeah:blush

I'm finally on spring break now so there will be a lot of time on my hands. It'll probably be filled with laundry and reading for my religion class. But, I probably will end up working on one of the new guitars I've been building... maybe I'll have time to finish one or two.

Ann

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:47 am 
DIY? Ugh! We have just suffered through three weeks of having the bathroom tore out and put back in again. The first thing the plumber did was pull out the bath and then act dumb when I asked where we were to shower. :rage My sweetheart and I have been having to shower at our neighbours house, bless them! Then the tiles were ripped off and my allegy to dust made me spend two weeks as Darth Vader! It looks great now, but it's weird not having a bath but a shower cubicle instead. When my sweetie and I go for our own home....? Everything had better be ready and waiting because I hate DIY with a p.a.ss.i.o.n!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:27 am 
How appropriate, At this moment in time, iam doing up my new room, decorating, building furniture etc.

I also made my own BMX, from loads of different parts :D

Probebly my worst accident with DIY, was when i manged to paint my feet, i walked over a freshly paint board (it had been painted black!!!!) it took me ages to get it off my feet, lol

And at one point when i was building my bike, i was testing it out on the dirt track and the breaks went!!!!!! ouch is all i can say.

I think that tara would be a little better at the DIY then willow, willow would draw up the plans etc, but i somehow think it may take some time to finish the project cos iam sure it would end up with sum kinkyness :eek :party

Have a good day/weekend kittens.
And well done to everyone who donated money to comic relief, it was 34 million pounds after last night and that will go up over the next few months as the fund raising cash comes in :D

Caz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:01 am 
This spring I have a couple of projects lined up. I'll be making a set of built-in bookcases for my sister's nursery. The bathroom needs redecorating and I need a new unit to house my TV and stereo equipment.

My best skill is being able to work with what I already have instead of having to go out and buy new stuff.
It's a tie for favourite tool. I love my cordless drill but I also love my Purdy paintbrushes.
Measure twice, cut once is the only tip I feel qualified to give. Rushing things only makes more work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:27 am 
My DIYness leans more toward the domestic, indiegrrrl side. I do a lot of decoupage. . . I sew, I make pretty little books and things. . .

DIY is fun and cute. My father's the one who does all the house projects, because he's crazily big on that. Wherever we moved, he had to completely re-do the house. . .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:29 am 
Well, a bit like Zippy, the distraction of Comic Relief kept me up to all hours last night so my planned morning of garden clearance didn't quite go as planned. In fact it didn't go at all :lol

I did manage to get to the DIY shop to treat myself to a new rake (oh the life I live), which knowing me will sit in the shed untouched for a least the next month.

I'm good with the flat pack stuff too, but don't usually bother with the instructions so have been known to have to pull things apart and start again. I can't do anything that requires a steady hand, so I just hope no-one ever looks to closely at some of my paintwork.

Power tools, that's what I really like. I want to borrow my Dad's hedge trimmer and have a real hack at the front garden, but he thinks I'm going kill myself with it and won't let me near it.

As for DIY disasters, I suppose I could mention the little accident I had on my dining room table with the staple gun when I was reupholstering a chair. Would have been a good idea not have stapled to cloth to the table!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:28 pm 
Comic relief was fantastic, there were two high points for me, Jack Dee up a pole and Ruby Wax & Jo Brand singing the Cheeky Song. I will never be able to look at silver knickers again ;)

Anyway as predicted no new skirting boards were fitted in my bathroom. Oh well there is always next weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:46 pm 
I didn't know where else to put this..so I hope it's ok to post this here.

I just finished my cool livejournal design!! It's my first time designing my own so I'm really excited and would like to hear what people have to say!! Here's a link to it:

My livejournal :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:41 am 
Ok, let it be known, me and gardening do not mix well.

An early morning start, the first hint of sun in the UK and I suddenly found that burst of inspiration to clear the garden. It may now be the neatest garden in the road, but it also contains a very dead clematis plant which got hacked as I got carried away with the shears...oops

Maybe me and the power tools wouldn't be such a good idea :lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:01 am 
It looks great WillowsGremliN :) I love the pics of Amber, especially the Taboo ones.

I'd never be motivated enough to keep a journal up, I've tried with diaries in the past but I usually only make it halfway through January ;)

Feena
-x-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:32 am 
Finally the end of midterms and man am I ready for a weekend of relaxin'. and striping? what fun what fun!

~Minn!~:applause

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:03 am 
*very* nice layout, WillowsGremliN. . . I could never do that with LiveJournal. . .

I keep meaning to do a W/T layout for my diary, but other things keep coming up, like the rencent [i:58e6055691]Bound[/i:58e6055691] fixation. . .

As for Amber Benson's butt, I'm sure you've seen the pictures in the nether realms? I congratulate very much all the kittens who worked on that. :applause

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:47 pm 
Pretty OT, but we just had our parlamentary elections on Sunday here in Finland and one of the people elected is Tony Halme. This guy is a former club bouncer, WWF wrestler and nowadays is a boxer and loudmouthed bullshitter and we elected him. Actually he got the fifth biggest amount of votes of all the 2000+ candidates! So Yay us:spin
We also elected a numerous group of musicians and athletes, so guess the next four years are gonna be interesting...

n/p Verenpisara - Kun uni kuolee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:10 pm 
I don't have a leather tool belt, but I do have automotive tools. I'm clueless about home repair, but I do a lot of my own car repairs. Cars are sort of a passion of mine anyway: I love to drive them, ride in them, even ogle them like you would an attractive woman. I just wish I had more space in which to work on them. My garage is very cramped, and working in such a confined space takes a lot of the fun out of the car-fixing.

I did help GF roof her house, which almost precipitated a divorce. GF used to be a contractor, and didn't have a lot of patience with a novice helper. Especially one without a lot of upper-body strength. One time, we were trying to lift a roll of roofing material onto her roof. It was very heavy, and GF and I aren't big women, but she insisted over my objections that we could do the job ourselves. On one attempt, I lost my grip on my end of the roll, and GF was left holding it just long enough for its extra weight plus hers to put too much stress on her rotting deck. So, her leg broke through one of the planks, she dropped her end of the roll, and let out the most amazing string of profanity I'd ever heard. I won't repeat what she called me, but it has twelve letters and a hyphen in it. She got even angrier when I gently suggested that she ask her very nice (male) neighbor to help us lift it. 'Cause I was not interested in making a feminist statement at the expense of my physical well-being.

I decided that after the roof was done, GF would be on her own with the house-fixing. Otherwise, we would have been on a one-way trip to the Jerry Springer Show.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:10 am 
Wow! just to say thanks to everyone who posted in my first ever MKF! I was kind of nervous about doing one, but you just have to go for it sometimes. You are such a creative bunch of people, those images of people wallpapering wardrobes and sawing beds into four will stay with me for quite a while yet ! Better than watching t.v.::kitty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:48 pm 
[quote:4846fe9997]Quote:
those images of people wallpapering wardrobes
[/quote:4846fe9997]

Well actually no wallpapering was done, but I at least thought about it :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:24 pm 
Well, thought I was going to come here an whine about the eletrical work I have to do outside, but it has been so nice I can't.

Plus I also got a good look at my fence.

Yup, I am a living cliche of the suburbs. I have the two kids, the little red brick house and a white picket fence.
Except my fence is in dire need of some work. So it looks like scraping, repair and painting for me this spring.

Gotta do it before I get conned into help my wife with her garden.

Warlock