The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fic: Pains of the Past
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:25 am 
Pains of the Past
by Hawk

Don't own them so... well you know the rest.

This isn't as angsty as I was planning but we'll as we go. Rating wise nothing higher then PG-13ish. But if there is begging the rating could increase.

Final Note: I must praise Garner for going through my stuff and giving me some great feedback. You're the best.

Part One

Willow and Buffy were walking back to their dorm room after another pointless Scooby meeting. Activity had been on the low end lately, which meant that Buffy’s nerves were running on a very short leash and Willow was on best friend calming detail. The rest of the day would consist of getting mochas, spending a couple hours enjoying the sun and fresh air at the part and finally dance the night away at the Bronze. For the most part Willow enjoyed this part of the job since Buffy and been so busy with Riley lately so they were finally able to spend some time with each other. The only problem was she wouldn’t get to see Tara for the rest of the day.

Tara. Those four little letters held something that was too big for even her amazing intellect to master. Her name seemed too small to describe the wonderness of the blond witch. Over the last three months she had been a shinning light in one of Willow’s darkest times. Willow loved spending time with her and lately she never wanted the night to end because she didn’t want to have to say goodbye and leave. It was almost the way she felt with Oz but on a different level. She couldn’t deny that the blonde was beautiful no matter what her friend said about herself, but there was so much more within her eyes that captivated her. Part of her wanted Tara to meet her friends but another side of her didn’t want to share the girl with anyone else. She was hers and something about that amazed and scared her at the same time, not to mention the fact that this was the first girl she had ever liked in a more than friends type of way. All she truly understood was when she kissed Tara she felt like nothing else in the world existed besides
the two of them, and she wanted that feeling to last forever.

“I can’t believe that Anya broke up with Xander,” Buffy said bringing Willow back to the land of the living.

Looking up she gave a sad smile. “I know, but at least he is starting to look a little better.
Yesterday he even tried to make a joke,” she said omitting the part where the joke wasn’t funny even for Xander humor. It had been a week now since Anya dumped him saying she needed a man with more money and less involvement with the hellmouth.

Buffy nodded. “Well why don’t we go to the Bronze tonight? That might cheer Xander up and also give us lowly Scoobies a chance to meet you witchcraft buddy, Tara. If you invite her along then we might be able to get Xander out of his parent’s basement and show him that there really is a thing called sunlight. It’s just… for the past few weeks you’ve been spending all you time with her, not that I have any right to judge, but I would like to meet her.”

“Really, that’s great. I’ll call her and see of she can come tonight.” Willow said unable to keep the excitement out of her voice, luckily the excitement was stronger than the fear she felt. What if the Scoobies didn’t like Tara, or worse what if Tara didn’t like them?

When they reached the dorm room they heard the phone ringing on the other side. Buffy quickly opened the door getting the phone just in time. “Hello,” Buffy said but soon her face fell becoming serious. Willow closed the door and moved closer to her best friend. “Yes, thank you. I will be right there.” She hung up the phone, but before Willow could ask what was wrong Buffy was dialing a new number. “Giles, its Faith.” Willow froze as those words hit her. “No, no. The doctor just called me and said that her brain activity had increased over the last month. He thinks she will wake up some time this week. Willow and I will go check things out right now if you could call Xander so we can have a Scooby meeting in, say an hour. Thanks.” Buffy turned to Willow and they headed out towards the hospital.

Neither spoke during the fifteen-minute walk. Willow didn’t know what to think as images attacked her of a very sharp knife pressed against her throat by the rogue slayer. On the level of tormentors in Willow’s life, Faith came in a close second only to Cordelia. The Queen of Sunnydale High only exceeded because she had years of ridicule on her side.

When it came to places needing avoidance the hospital was number one on the list for Scoobies, but they had been there so many times that they knew every wing by heart. It had been five months since they had last visited Faith, but the two girls silently walked towards their destination. Reaching the south wing Willow noticed something. Through the intercom they were playing classical music, Bach to be exact. She liked the composer but she was sure that it was against code to play it like this.

Buffy not even thinking about it walked up to the front desk. “May I speak with Dr. Horner please?”

“Miss Summers, I informed you over the phone that you didn’t need to come down here. I was just giving you an update since you are the second person on the list to contact in such matters.” Dr. Horner said as he showed up at the front desk.

Buffy only nodded and then stopped. “I’m the second person to be notified? I thought that I was first.”

“You were until a couple months ago when Faith’s cousin arrived. Since she is a blood relative she is notified first you understand,” the doctor said.

Both Willow and Buffy looked at him like he had grown a second head. What did he mean cousin? Faith never talked about having any family. “Her cousin is here?” Willow asked after regaining her voice.

The doctor smiled, “Yes such a sweet girl. She brings a flower for each patient when she comes. Some of the people here don't have any family or if they do they never come, so it is wonderful of her to spend the time. She even convinced us to play a little Bach.
It’s Faith favorite composer so we indulge her a little. She is here actually if you would like to meet her. I’m sure that you know the way. I don’t mean to be rude but I have to go.” The doctor smiled one last time and left the two speechless girls. What was the world coming to? Faith had a relative that has been her for a while who seems to be the sweetest person the doctor has ever met and Faith liked Bach. No this had to be one of the alternate worlds created when someone made some of those stupid wishes to a vengeance demon.

The two girls walked towards the room that was Faith’s but heard someone chanting within. Willow took a step closer recognizing the voice, but not able to believe what it meant. Opening the door her fears were confirmed, as a familiar figure stood by Faith’s bed engrossed within the spell she was casting. Buffy looked over at Willow and noticed that her friend had turned pale. It became worse when she heard Willow whisper, “Tara?”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:54 am 
This sounds a little like a story I've read before, but right now I forgot the name of it cause it's like, 2 in the morning where I am right now and I'm not really thinking clearly. Anyway, in the story Tara is also Faith's cousin but I'm thinking that you should still continue with this story and see how it turns out. I really like it so far and I'm wondering how it's gonna turn out.

-------------------------------
Hi, um, Tara, how are you? I was wondering, maybe, if you want to go out sometime, for coffee, food, kisses and gay love?
Willow in Normal Again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:58 am 
Oh yes, very good start!!!

Can't wait to read more... *hint, hint!!!!*

Patricia

------------------
"What are they looking at?"
"The hotness of you, doofus!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:06 am 
Oh I have read this before as well, it has been quite a while though. I do not remember all the details, but in that fic Tara was Faith's sister. if Tara is doing some chanting to help heal Faith then that would be rather inconsistent with Tara's views on those matters as we know them now though. Interesting.

[This message has been edited by Dr.G (edited March 15, 2002).]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:50 am 
Tara is Faith's cousin? Didn't see that coming. Great start Hawk...I love your stories.

Michelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:17 am 
Very good very good!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:28 am 
Part Two

The blond witch heard her name and quickly turned to look at the new comers at the door. She froze as her eyes feel upon Willow. “W-willow? W-what are you d-doing here?” Her stutter coming on full strength as she looked between the two girls in front of her.

Buffy and Willow moved into the room closing the door behind them, so no one could hear their conversation. Tara kept her place at Faith’s side grasping the unconscious girl’s hand. “I think you should be answering that question,” Buffy said not caring about the cold tone in her voice.

Willow flinched as she watched Tara also react to the hostile tone. After a second of insecurity she straightened her shoulders and replied, “I’m here to see my c-cousin. I didn’t think that w-was a crime.”

“Why didn’t you tell us that you were Faith’s cousin?” Buffy kept eye contact with the blonde not trusting her for a moment. Why was it every time one of them met someone new they ended up having some kind of hidden agenda?

Tara looked at her in confusion. She turned to Willow but was greeted by a perplexed and accusing look. “F-first, I have never met you before in my life, b-but I am guessing that you’re Buffy. S-secondly, why would I have to tell you that Faith is my cousin? I didn’t even know that you knew Faith.” Being attacked usually made Tara’s stutter increase, but she would not look weak when it came to Faith. She couldn’t let that ever happen, but something nagged at the back of her head. “B-but if you know Faith then you c-could tell me what h-happened to her?” Her eyes were pleading.

Buffy didn’t know what to say to this. She could tell that Tara cared for Faith, so it might not be such a good idea to inform her that she was responcible for her being in a coma for the past eight months. It was still an issue that she was dealing with. Shaking herself she remembered that this girl, no matter how nice she acted, had been deceiving Willow. “She decided to play with fire and ended up getting burned.”

Not liking the sound of that, Tara moved from Faith’s side to stand in-between them. Nothing else was going to happen to her cousin while she was here. “I don’t understand what is going on here, but you must have been her friend or why else would you be here right now. And as for fire, I know that she can act all tough but it is nothing compared to the kind of power you possess, she is only a seventeen year old girl.” She addressed the comment to Buffy but she still looked over at Willow. The redhead wouldn’t meet her eyes and that was something that concerned her.

“I think that a slayer no matter how young they are might be on even ground with Buffy and sure gives her an advantage over the rest of use,” Willow mumbled still not looking up.

“What are you talking about? Faith can’t be a slayer. Buffy is the slayer and there can be only one.” Tara said trying to make sense of what was going on.

Buffy rolled her eyes. She had to give the girl credit Tara was playing the role perfectly. “Fine, if you want to play dumb. I died when I was sixteen for like two minutes and so now there are two, Faith being the second one.”

“Then why are you acting so hostile? Shouldn’t you be friends since you’re both fighting against demons?” the blonde witch asked.

“She was at the beginning but when she turned rogue and starting killing people we had a little problem with that.” Buffy said not sugar coating it at all. The anger in her voice was partly for her self since she hadn’t been ablt to reach the younger slayer leaving only one option.

Willow could see that Buffy’s words were like a physical blow. Tara’s eyes radiated confusion and pain at the idea that Buffy was speaking the truth. “N-no. She wouldn’t do that. N-not unless she didn’t have a choice. I know that Faith has a lot of anger within her, but she would never.” Tara stopped. Taking a hard look at Buffy she completely changed what she was saying. Her stutter disappeared as she finished, “How did Faith end up here with a stab wound to the stomach?”

Buffy took her change in voice as a challenge, but Willow knew that something else was going on. However, Buffy not knowing Tara as well continued seeing the changed tome as a spitting contest. “Well do you want me to tell you the part where she joined forces with an insane one hundred year old mayor who wanted to become a full blooded demon, or should we talk about the time Faith had a knife against Willow’s throat? I’m sorry but when push comes to shove I couldn’t let her distroy the world or kill the ones that I love.”

Tara looked at Willow for a moment when Buffy mentioned the knife incident, pained to even think of the redhead in danger. However she was brought back to the situation when Buffy revealed that she was the one that had put Faith here. Taking a deep breath Tara continued in the same tone she had just used. “So you were the one that stabbed Faith?”

Not liking the way Tara sounded but Buffy was in a situation that she couldn’t back down from. “Yes…” Buffy didn’t have a chance to say anything else as a force picked her up and tossed her across the room. Willow watched her friend hit the wall and fall to the floor, then turned back to look at Tara. Tara was too busy looking down at Buffy getting ready for the next round. Buffy stood up and was about to attack Tara when another force smacked her across the face harder then anyone else ever had.

No matter what her feelings were for the blonde witch, Willow had no choice as she started to cast a minor spell. Tara could sense the power coming form her and turned. With a gentle motion, Tara moved Willow over towards the door and placed a shield around her so that she couldn’t move or perform any type of magic against her. Focusing her attention back on the slayer, Tara hit her again with her magic. She had no intention to attack the slayer, but the anger deep down within her took over at the knowledge that she had almost killed Faith. “I will never let you hurt her again!” Tara almost screamed as she started hitting Buffy with magical punches over and over again.

With all the commotion going on around her, Faith’s eyes slowly started to open. She didn’t know where she was or what was going on except that there was a fight. Using all the will power that she had she tried to focus on what was happening around her. When her mind finally started to work she saw something that made her blood run cold. Tara and Buffy fighting and not in the vocal sense, and by the looks of it Tara was winning. When she heard Tara’s last words she almost screamed herself. She wasn’t going to let this happen because of her. All of the darkness she had already done would be nothing if either of them were severely hurt. “Tara...” Faith’s voice was almost non-existent after eight months of not using it. With a deep breath she gathered up all the strength that she had. “TARA STOP!”

All the spells that Tara controlled dissipated as she heard Faith’s voice. She turned to look at her cousin and tears flowed from her eyes. Faith was pale and looked like shit but she was awake. Forgetting everything that had just happened she rushed over to the dark haired girl pulling her into a desperate hug. She had been here for months hoping for this very moment and now it was happening. Faith molded into the hug and absorbed all the love and caring Tara had to give her. It had been so long since they had seen each other. Willow and Buffy now free from Tara’s spells watched in silence the scene before them. Neither had ever seen Faith cry for sadness or joy, so to see the tears falling from her eyes was a shocking experience.

After a moment of hysterics, Faith remembered others were in the room and tried to regain a little of her composure. Looking over at Buffy she noticed that the blonde was in slayer mode and she was giving off this vibe not only at Faith but Tara as well. Sitting a little taller so her vocal threat was less of a joke. “B, your fight is with me, so leave Tara alone. She doesn’t have anything to do with this.”

“Actually you’re only half right. I do have some issues with you which will be dealt with quite soon, but I also have a couple of issues with Tara,” Buffy said looking straight at Tara with a cold look.

Faith looked between the two but noticed that Tara kept trying to make eye contact with Willow. “What could she possibly do, stutter when she said your name or something? Ok, time out. I need a little catch up here since I have been in a coma for…”

“Eight months.” Tara whispered.

Faith placed that in the freak later file. She was about to continue when Dr. Horner walked into the room. “Well, well Miss Maclay’s visits three times a week ended up doing some good after all. How does it feel to be back in the world of the living?” As the doctor talked he moved around the bed checking Faith’s stats completely oblivious to the tension in the room. “I guess we should play Bach more often. Do you feel any pain or discomfort?”

“Everything’s good as new doc. So when can I get outta here?” Faith asked a little quickly.

“Well I think there are a few more tests to perform before I can let you out of here,” the doctor said with a smile.

Tara watched Faith’s face darken at his answer. “Faith he isn’t here you’re going to be safe at the hospital.” Faith just looked at her cousin with pleading eyes and Tara could see the fear hidden underneath. “Fine, doctor could I speak with you in private for a moment?”

The doctor nodded and they stepped outside, but Willow watched them through the window on the door. Buffy just glared Faith as the dark haired slayer desperately watched Tara as well. Outside the doctor started to pale as Tara informed him of the reasons Faith didn’t want to stay in the hospital and was soon nodding to everything that Tara was saying. What was concerned Willow was that Tara was paling as she spoke and every time her eyes momentarily moved back into the room she could see the pain radiating from them.

They walked back into the room, Tara going straight over to the bed to hold Faith’s hand as the doctor looked at Faith with sad eyes. “Tara has agreed to take responsibility for your well being. She has promised to take you to her dorm room so that you can have at least a week worth of bed rest. I will be calling to set up some appointments for the tests that need to be done. It will be just a few minutes to get your papers in order.” With that said the doctor walked out of the room.

Buffy sighed as she realized that Faith was going to be released in an hour or two. She had to tell Giles so that he would be ready when they showed up. Plus she needed to call Riley so that he would be here for this. Faith was a weak point for her, so having Riley there would make things a little better. “I’m going to call Giles to let him know what’s going on. After your release we will head over there so that we can figure out what we are going to do next.” She didn’t give anyone a chance to say anything else as she walked out of the room.

Willow looked at Tara for a moment trying to see if there were any changes to the girl that she thought she knew so well. The blonde still had the pleading look in her eyes when ever she looked at Willow. “I just need to know one thing,” she started. Tara turned to face her ready to answer any question hoping that at least their friendship could be saved. “When we first met did you know about our issues with Faith? Was that the reason that you wanted to be around me, so that it could be used against us right now?”

“No. I would never do something like that to you. Please believe me?” Tara pleaded with everything that she had in her. She let all the love she felt for the redhead shine in her eyes. She would have taken a step towards her but the bed was blocking her path. Willow nodded. She believed the blonde witch was telling the truth but the idea that she was a cousin of Faith was going to be a hard thing to get over.

Faith knew the voice Tara was using, it was her I’m in love with you so I would rather kill myself then see you in any pain voice. The last time this had happened the dark haired slayer had to watch her cousin trying to hide her tears for weeks. The only reason that stupid blonde headed bitch hadn’t gotten the crap beaten out of her was because Tara had told her to back off. She pulled on Tara’s hand so that the blonde was now facing her. “I know that voice you are using missy.” It was confirmed when Tara blushed and tried to turn away. Faith looked between the two girls in the room and wanted to scream at the fates for making her life one continuous joke. “Why would this happen to me? Tara haven’t I always been there for you in situations like this? God we both know that I hated the X-files, but I watched it with you for five years with out complaint and now this. Red please just tell me that you will never join the FBI, because that would fulfill way too many of Tara’s fantas…” She would have finished the next word but was silenced as a gentle but firm hand was placed over her mouth.

“Faith I don’t think that we should be discussing this right now, unless you want to discuss a certain eighth birthday party,” Tara said in a forced voice. Faith stopped smiling and the mischievous spark in her eyes faded at the offensive topic, that was a low blow. The blonde finally salvaged enough courage to look over at Willow and noticed that there was a slight blush to her cheeks.

Tara was saved any further embarrassment when Buffy and Dr. Horner walked into the room. Tara signed the papers that they had and then helped Faith change into her clothes since her muscles weren’t used to moving at the moment. The younger slayer did have a problem with being pushed in a wheelchair for the next week but it was the only way that the doctor would let them leave and Tara had the look in her eye that meant she planned on keeping it. Finally they had everything in order and Faith was released.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:58 am 
hi Hawk

Loving this story. Cannot wait for the next chapter please make it quick?

It is starting out great.

Daydreams

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:16 pm 
For the last few days I have been searching for the story that you guys mentioned after my first post, but couldn't find it. After thinking about it, I believe that was for the best. If my story ends up being like the previous one then I am sorry and I swear I didn't mean to. I haven't read anything like what I am planning to do, so I hope this next part will really pull everyone back in.

Part Three

Willow and Buffy walked a few feet ahead as Tara wheeled Faith towards Giles’ house. The Maclay cousins were a little uneasy about what was coming. Tara had wanted to meet the rest of the Scoobies for a while but this wasn’t the way she had pictured it and Faith wasn’t on good terms with any of them so she knew what was coming her way. The only comfort that they had was the fact that they were together. In the past that was all they had needed so maybe it would be the same this time.

“Well, well look girls its s-s-stuttering T-t-tara. And it finally looks like she was able to get the girlfriend that she was looking for. Well when you’re fat and ugly I guess a cripple is the best that you can do,” said Angela Allen from across the street. Tara had a class with her last semester and the evil blonde had picked her for ridicule. She didn’t know why she was chosen but just ignored it as best as she could.

Willow and Buffy turned around as they heard the girl’s words. Willow was about to say something when she made eye contact with Tara. The shy girl just shook her head no allowing her golden locks to fall covering her face once again. Then both girls noticed the vice grip she had on Faith’s shoulder as the slayer shot daggers at the girls who were walking off. Tara just started pushing the wheelchair again as if it had never happened. Buffy and Willow slowed down so that they were a little closer to the girls both thinking about what just happened.

“Who the hell does that bitch think she is?” Faith seethed.

“Faith, it doesn’t matter what she says about me. I only see her once a month now so it isn’t that hard to ignore. Please don’t worry about it?” Tara tried to keep her voice calm but all three could sense that the other girl’s teasing did affect her. Tara was just happy that no one looked at her as a tear rolled down her cheek. She didn’t care what the girl had said because the girl was no one to her, but it didn’t mean that the words didn’t sting any less.

Looking up for just a moment, she noticed that Willow had turned around to say something and saw that she was crying. Whatever Willow was going to say died in her mouth as she saw the pain on Tara’s face. Her whole body wanted to run over and kiss her tears away. She stopped as that idea hit her. Why would she be thinking such a thing at a time like this? Willow knew that she wanted to move further in this relationship and could tell that Tara did as well, but now with the whole Faith issue she didn’t think it would be possible. “We’re almost there,” was all her mind could formulate as she turned back around berating herself for saying something that stupid.

Faith know that going to Giles’ house was a bad idea and as always her fight or flight instincts were taking over. The only reason that she hadn’t bolted was the fact that Tara was here, but her resentment for the blonde witch was returning the closer the got to Giles’. Why was she here anyway? The two hadn’t been on speaking terms for the past couple of years now, but the blonde was acting as if the fight never happened. Lowering her voice so only Tara could hear her Faith asked, “Why are we going to Giles’ in the first place? If you hadn’t noticed, these people don’t really like me all too much.”

“Because we need to sort all of this out. I need to know what is going on here,” Tara said her voice just as low.

It took all of Faith’s returning strength to keep from making a rude comment on the real reason Tara wanted to stay. Tara was using her mother voice and it had always driven her cousin crazy. “I’m just saying that I won’t be in this stupid little shit hole for much longer, so why do I have to deal with all this shit? And as I’m sure you found out I’m a slayer know so I could just walk off and there would be nothing you could say or do about it.” Faith liked the idea that her slayer strength allowed her to what ever she wanted. After everything that had happened, she knew this might not be the best way to go about doing things, but the power was just to intoxicating. She was no longer the weakling that had to watch her every step. As long as she could get away from Buffy then no one could hurt her.

Tara looked down at her cousin and frowned. “Faith we are going to deal with this now. For once in your life you are going to have to face reality, and just because you have super strength doesn’t mean I can’t keep you under control. You are going to this meeting and then we are going to have a talk afterwards. Am I making myself clear?” Tara’s voice was calm and that wasn’t a good sign, at least for Faith. She knew about the power Tara had but the thought that she would actually use it was new. Faith only nodded her head surprised and at the moment in defeat.

When they got to Giles’ place it had the feeling of The Spanish Inquisition. Inside Giles, Riley and Xander stood waiting. Buffy moved straight over to Riley as Willow tried to stand in the middle of the now two distinctly separated groups. She wanted to try to be supportive to Tara especially after what happened on the way over, but part of her still sided with the Scoobies. Faith had done a lot of stuff that they had to deal with and from the looks of it Tara was going to defend her cousin no matter what so at the moment they were on opposite sides.

Faith looked at the group and knew that this wasn’t going to be fun. Giles had an impassive look on his face, but she could see the rage hiding under the surface ready to dissect ever thing that Faith said for hidden meaning. Xander just stared at her with angry eyes ready to attack her for all the shit she had done to him eight months ago. The new guy was a shock. Faith and always thought that Buffy and Angel were meant for each other, so when it was obvious that she was with commando boy she had no idea what to think. Commando boy just gave her a look that said, ‘You hurt her and I will kill you.’ Willow seemed to be the only one partially on her side and it really wasn’t her side she was trying to be there for Tara. Why the hell was she still here?

Tara turned so that she was facing the rest of the Scoobies and was ready to defend Faith for all the shit she had done. From the looks on their faces, she had a feeling that her mouth might have bitten off more then she could chew. Taking a deep breathe she started, “I-I guess that Faith t-told you…”

“Red could I speak with you for a moment in private?” Faith asked.

Everyone was shocked by the request but Willow’s nodded acceptance was even more stunning. Faith stood up and brushed Tara’s hands away from her when the blonde tried to stop her. It was a little difficult for her to walk but she wasn’t going to let Tara wheel her outside and then ask to be wheeled back inside after their little chat. Willow just followed her confused at this sudden request.

Outside Faith sat down tired already from the small walk. Willow simply waited to her what she had to say. “Look, I know that we have a lot of bad blood between us, but that isn’t why I asked you out here. This isn’t about me but Tara. I don’t care if we never get all nice and play house together, because I have never been a team player and most likely never will. I just came out here to tell you that if you ever hurt her I will kill you without a thought. She is one of the only good things in my life.” Faith was finished. She wasn’t going to have some great heart warming talk this she just needed to tell Willow the facts so that if something happened then she could pretend she didn’t understand.

Willow only nodded her head. It was a perfect example of why she didn’t like Faith. With that done Faith stood up very slowly and started back into the house.

Tara was at Faith’s side the moment that she entered the door. Faith’s skin was pale and everyone could tell that she was having a hard time. “You know I remember the whole slayer healing thing working a lot faster than this.” Faith complained as she sat back down in the wheelchair. Willow moved over to stand next to Xander as her mind tried to digest everything that Faith had just said. She noticed that Tara was looking between them with a concerned look on her face, unsure of what had gone on outside.

Giles looked around at everyone and decided it was time for him to get the ball rolling. “Faith I would first like to say that I’m glad that you are better, but you must also understand our hesitation. Before…everything happened you turned your back on us so now we have to make sure that doesn’t happen again. Now with the added confusion of Tara’s presence…”

“There isn’t any added confusion. Tara didn’t even know I was a slayer until today. You guys can judge me all you want cause I don’t give a rat’s ass, but from what I can tell with the exception of Willow you have never seen Tara before so don’t judge her.” Faith was tired of Tara being looked down upon because of her actions and it was going to stop right now. They may not be on the best of terms right now but she was still the only person that had ever been there for her.

“I agree. We shouldn’t judge Tara yet. Tara why don’t we start with how you came to Sunnydale,” Giles said trying to keep everything at a calm level.

Tara took a deep breath as six sets of eyes fell upon her. “W-well a f-few m-months…” Tara started.

“Now what is the rule when ever you are around me, Tara?” Faith asked knowing she had to calm Tara down before they went any farther, plus it was one of the only go things she was able to win as a child and loved throwing it back in her cousin’s face.

“N-no…stuttering,” Tara said with a small smile.

Faith smiled back. “And if I catch you stuttering, then what happens?”

“You have the right to beat the crap out of me, but I still think that deal was unfair. I was ten at the time and thought you were joking.” Tara said in her own defense.

“Too bad you were the one that made the deal.” Faith said smiling at the knowledge that she had won that battle a long time ago.

Tara only rolled her eyes and turned towards the Scoobies with a little more confidence. “Four months ago I received a phone call from the hospital saying that Faith was in a c-coma…I was able to transfer to UC Sunnydale and have been attending college here ever since. I met Willow at the Wicca Group and when the Gentlemen attacked I went to find her since she was the only one that seemed to know what she was talking about. Throughout the time I have spent with her, I knew nothing about your history with Faith until now,” she finished a little amazed that she was able to speak that long without stuttering in front of strangers.

Giles was about to say something but Faith beat him to the punch. “So he doesn’t know that you’re here?”

“No I had a teacher help with my records and some scholarships. He doesn’t know where I am for now at least.” Tara said without looking at Faith.

“Who are you talking about?” Willow asked not liking what Tara was saying. The idea that anyone was going after the blonde scared her and she noticed that Tara paled again at Faith’s question.

Slowly she made eye contact with Willow. “My father.” After the words left her mouth she lowered her head allowing her hair to fall over her face like a golden shield protecting her from her fears.

Everyone was quiet for a moment trying to understand the two simple words that had come from her mouth. Faith would have laughed at the stupid looks on their faces if she hadn’t known the true depression behind those two words. She waited for someone to be brave or stupid enough to ask the next question.

“Why would you be concerned with you father finding you?” Riley asked not realizing that he just stepped on a land mine.

Faith gave a sarcastic smile. “Let me guess. You were raised in the wonderous mid-west with the perfect parents and every meal you would sit down and praise god. Then right before you go to bed they come in to kiss goodnight.” Riley straightened a little at the attack but was kept silent with Buffy’s hand on his arm. “That’s what I thought. Do you want to know how our fathers showed their endless amount of love for us?” She was about to go on but Tara mimicked Buffy’s action to silence Faith.

Buffy knew where this was going and it hit one of the many problems between the two slayers. “Oh is this where you’re going to lash out against us because you had a bad home life and we all had it so easy?”

Even Tara’s presence couldn’t stop Faith. “Okay, what is the worst thing you’ve ever doneas far as your mom was concerned?” Everyone could tell that Faith wanted to stand up not liking to be sitting down during any kind of fight.

Thinking for a moment before answering. “I ran away from home for a summer when I was seventeen.”

“And when you came back what happened, punishment wise?” Faith continued.

“I was grounded for two months and had to beg forgiveness from all my friends for weeks.” Even as she said it, Buffy realized how easy a punishment that was.

Faith nodded as if she was calculating what Buffy had just said. “Have you ever told your mother no, or didn’t do something she told you to do?” Buffy just nodded getting annoyed at the way Faith was talking to her. “And let me guess, you had an hour long scolding and that was about it.” Buffy just glared at her. “I’ll take that as a yes. Lets see, when I was seven I stayed out late to play with some of my friends instead of cleaning up the house for a get together he was having. It didn’t get done so after the party my father beat me with his belt, if I recall it was twenty-eight lashes, and I had a black eye the next morning. Trust me you remember the first time a leather strap shreds you skin.” Once again no one said anything too shocked by the degree of violence. The whole time Faith kept her eyes locked with Buffy’s. “So B, is it allright that I resent your home life now?”

“What does are home life have to do with why we are here? What happened back then?” Tara said finally having enough of everyone talking about things she had no idea about. That broke Faith roll and everyone turned to look at her. “Our family lives weren’t great but that doesn’t tell me why everything happened the way it did.” She looked around at everyone waiting for someone to start talking.

“Fine, I guess someone has to tell you what is going on, so why don’t we start at the beginning.” Buffy said with a sigh indicating that this was a long story. The blonde slayer explained how Faith was when she first arrived which didn’t seem to surprise Tara too much. Then she explained how Faith accidently killed a man but then said how Faith had changed. Through out the whole story Faith remained quiet as Tara felt like she was going to puke. Everytime she thought it couldn’t get worse Buffy went to the next thing. Finally the story was over and everyone just looked down at the floor.

Tara didn’t want to believe that all this was true. She turned to look at Faith and in a quiet voice asked, “Do you have anything else to add to this?”

Faith locked eyes with her cousin seeing a little bit of hope but it was clouded over with shock, horror and lastly shame. Never one to back down she stood up so that she was eye to eye with Tara. “What do you want me to say? I risk my life to save the world and with one accendent that even B will agree with I am a piece of trash. Can’t you be more like Buffy Faith? I don’t have to follow the rules anymore. I am strong enough to take care of myself and don’t need to be protected. So I made a couple mistakes but you will never see me crawling on my knees begging for forgiveness. It isn’t what I do.”

The Scoobies watched the scene expecting Tara to back down. Buffy could tell that Faith was in attack mode and was afraid that she would have to step in, but Tara stood her ground. “So you finally have the power you wanted all your life?” Tara asked.

“That’s right.” Faith countered.

As a single tear rolled down her cheek Tara replied, “I hope that you enjoy your power, because you’re just like him now. I want nothing to do with you.” With those words she walks out of the house.

Faith pales and starts shaking her head no. Running after Tara she catches her in the court just outside. “I am nothing like him! Don’t ever say that.”

“You enjoy the power and you use it on people that can’t protect themselves. You have become the one think that you hate in this world and I will not stay here and watch what you have become. After everything we’ve gone through, I can’t see it end up being for nothing.” Tara started walking again.

“NO!” Faith screamed as she picked up one of Giles’ potted plants and hurled it against the side of the house, smashing it into forgotten pieces.

Tara turned back at the sound and looked down at the now crumbled form in front of her. The blonde’s heart broke but she couldn’t support Faith in any way if she continued down this path. “Please don’t let the darkness take you Faith. You could do so much good with the power you were given. Don’t be him. Don’t let him win.” There was nothing left to say so she walked away from the only person she wanted to help more then anything.

Buffy and Willow ran outside just in time to see Tara walk off. Now all they saw was Faith crumbled on the ground mumbling to herself. “What have I done? What have I become? I can’t be like him. I can’t be like him.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:53 pm 
Wow.
Great story so far, MORE ,MORE,MORE!
Willowfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 11:38 pm 
Oh my god... lovin' the fic! When is the next update... I have to know does Willow come running after her girl... do we hear about Tara's home life... ahhh MORE!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:21 am 
Yay! I second everything which has been said already! Great work, please MORE!

------------------
"Oh baby, want me to rub your tummy? She likes it when I ... stop explaining things"
"Once you've fallen for Willow, you stay fallen"
"I can't throw it away, I wanna keep it forever"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:13 am 
I'll go with what everyone else is saying...MORE please!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:18 am 
Oooohhh interesting. Faith being Tara's cousin certainly presents quite a conflict for Willow.

Me joining the calls for more.

------------------
I could go crazy on a night like tonight
When summer's beginning to give up her fight...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:50 am 
I love this fic! Great update!

Michelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:10 am 
Awesome story so far! Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:17 am 
Great update loved it. Keep it going

daydreams

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:06 pm 
GO TARA!

My two favorite Buffy characters...gotta love it.

MORE PLEASE!!

------------------
Love will find a way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:10 pm 
Very nice... really like it....
moooore, please?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 5:21 am 
This is worth the time taken to read it...Keep going.

------------------
Eternity has no favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:16 am 
I love the story! I beg you for more begging

Patricia

------------------
"What are they looking at?"
"The hotness of you, doofus!"