The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fic: Consequences
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:37 am 

This is the first piece I did and it is intended to be a multi-part story. I have the first two done (and have posted them elsewhere earlier.) I always intended to continue, but a few other stories became more pressing and this got shoved to the back burner as it were. I am thinking about continuing this before I forget where I was going, but thought I would post it first and see what everyone thought. If my connection works (Hah!) I will post both parts. If not I will get the second on later this week or next.

Author: Garner

Email: Garner502@yahoo.com

Feedback: Yes, please. I can take it! This was my first Fanfic work.

Distribution: Go ahead and post this where you want. I would like to know where though as I probably don’t know about the site and may want to go there.

Spoilers: Very few, this takes place after The Gift, and before Season 6 starts.

Rating: PG-13 so far, though a bit of violence at points.

Pairing: W/T, X/A only slightly.

Disclaimer: All of the characters are Joss Whedon’s and the actors/tresses, I have no right to any of them and make no money on this whatsoever.

Summary: Willow and Tara deal with the ramifications of Tara’s mind sucking and Willow’s growing use of dark magic.

Note: I wrote this just prior to season 6. Obviously things are different in the show. I also soft-pedaled dealing with Buffy’s death as others have written that. September/October 2001

Consequences Part 1

“Um, Willow, why are your eyes black?”

“Tara!” Willow stopped her incantation and gave Tara an exasperated look. “It’s no wonder my spells go all blooey with everyone always interrupting me.”

The two sat facing each other bathed in the light from four white candles that barely illuminated the sacred circle they had traced in salt on their room’s carpet. Actually they had placed a smaller black carpet over the obnoxious blue-green abomination that was the standard for the house. The girls’ hands were linked together between them, and each sat cross legged. They had purposely worn darker, muted colors that would hopefully help them fade into the darkness beyond. Between them a small censer slowly let a narrow tendril of smoke drift upwards. The combined scents of jasmine, ginseng, and sandalwood permeated the room. They were supposed to be concentrating on the smoke.

Tara ducked her head for a moment, upset that she had irritated her love. However, concern overcame reticence and she quickly returned her gaze to Willow’s eyes; eyes in which she normally loved to lose herself. Now they were large, pitch black, and sort of scary. Tara could feel the hair on the back of her neck stand up.

“B-but that isn’t supposed to happen is it? I mean if it is than that would be OK, but it isn’t, is it?”

“Well how would I know since we haven’t even gotten to finish the spell yet?” Willow shot back angrily. Seeing the hurt look on Tara’s face, Willow softened her voice and said, “I’m sure its just a side effect of the spell. We are trying to look into the astral night after all.”

“Yeah,” Tara replied and then half-smiled, “are my eyes all black?”

For a moment Willow thought about saying yes, just to get on with the spell, but then she thought that maybe they just hadn’t gotten far enough for Tara to be affected. “No, they’re still a beautiful blue.” She said with a smile. “You wanna try again?”

“Okay,”

The spell was a combination of clairvoyance and astral projection. Instead of seeing a specific distant location or entirely leaving their bodies, they would send their vision out into the astral, but with the ability to spy into the normal world. The idea was to view the astral Sunnydale, and upon encountering signs of demonic activity, to look back into the material world and determine what sort of creature was present and what they were doing. Willow had reasoned that this would be a great way to watch over town without necessarily exposing the rest of the Scoobies to danger. In the month or so since Buffy’s death they had been patrolling together , but maybe their hearts weren’t in it, or maybe they were just being sloppy. A vampire broke Xander’s arm during a fight in one of the many cemeteries, Giles had thrown out his shoulder, and even Anya had a number of new bruises and scrapes to go along with her sprained ankle from the final battle with Glory. So far both Willow and Tara had been lucky, they had only been knocked down by a furry demon which fortunately Spike had dispatched before either suffered worse. Spike fought with a berserk fury limited only by the need to watch Dawn and see that no harm came to her.

Both girls lowered their heads, cleared their minds of recent troubles, and then stared into the swirling stream of smoke. Each imagined themselves drifting into the smoke, rising into the air and soaring away from the room. They willed all other distractions away, and started chanting.

“Sight of Maat, body of Iao, sight of Maat, body of Iao, Isis grant us access to beyond,” their voices’ rose and fell in volume as they repeated the chant. A familiar tingle, warm yet vibrating slowly, enveloped them as the spell’s energy built within the circle. Tara felt herself drawn towards Willow, almost as if their spirits were merging in the space between them. Willow's scent filled her nose, the feel of her girlfriend seemed to caress her face. She almost lost her concentration as a cold sweat coated her face. Something frigid raised goose bumps on her arms, a shiver ran up her spine and she thought she smelt an overly sweet, rotting odor. It was just a brief flash though, and was gone before she could do more than draw another breath.

The blonde witch felt her lover’s spirit soar away from her, though a small, oddly reassuring and wholesome part remained, firmly anchored within the circle. Tara was also dimly aware of motion around her, of flying free and unfettered through a dark gray astral sky. She couldn’t make out a great amount of detail, it was like looking through a long tube, or maybe backwards through a telescope. She thought she maybe recognized parts of Sunnydale, and occasionally a brilliant red speck stood out in the darkness. She continued to chant as Willow directed their sight across strange buildings and colder, darker spaces that must have been the graveyards. Several times she felt Willow call on the goddesses to see into the normal world. Each time she got the sensation of swirling down a funnel and saw small specks moving on a toy-like cityscape.

The motion, the sensations of rushing air, rising and falling, even the familiar radiance of Willow’s tethered spirit began to wear at her. Arms shaking, throat dry, she called to Willow, willing her to return. It took several moments, and Willow seemed to want to recheck three of the red specks. All of sudden the scent of Willow permeated the circle, and Tara felt a renewing heat spread throughout her. Again a faint chill like the echo of that previously felt washed over her, and then was gone. She focused past the wisp of smoke on Willow’s large black eyes and couldn’t help but shudder.

“Baby, are you all right?” Willow asked, concern coloring her voice.

“Y-yeah. But I felt a s-s-slight chill.”

“Probably just the night air.” Willow’s face was alight with joy and a large grin. “Wow, that was amazing. I could see all of Sunnydale. There were little houses and cemeteries and little ant-like people, uh not real ant people just small people, and I think vampires had a red glow though there were other colors too. We’ll have to find out what they mean, but wow. I bet even Buffy couldn’t cover the whole town that quick,” Willow’s voice faltered, and Tara reached out and stroked the red-head’s cheek as she softly added, “couldn’t have covered.”

“Y-your eyes are still black,” Tara stated.

“And you are pale and covered with sweat. You look exhausted.” Willow looked more closely at Tara and then quickly rose and re-seated herself next to the blonde. Ever since Buffy defeated Glory and Willow had returned Tara’s mind, she had lost some of her stamina for doing spells. She was regaining it slowly, but Willow had a momentary fear that she had pushed too far. The red haired witch cushioned her lover’s head while she gently sprawled out on the floor. Willow softly kissed her forehead and stroked the long, silky blonde hair while Tara’s head rested on her thighs. She was still not entirely convinced that somehow Tara wouldn’t revert to her mindless state, that her spell would ultimately go wrong and that her love would be torn from her just as Buffy had. Willow’s other hand caressed Tara’s arm and their hands met, clasping firmly.

Her voice husky with emotion, Willow whispered, “You know how much I love you?” And felt the head on her legs nod slowly. She lightly kissed Tara’s closed eyes, and placed a lingering sideways kiss on her mouth. “I’ll always be here for you.”

They stayed like that for an indeterminate amount of time. Tara luxuriated in her lover’s touch and attention, thoughts of black eyes and chills chased away by the feeling of security Willow’s presence conveyed. Finally Willow felt her back start to ache and her legs tingle from lack of movement and she shifted Tara's head gently so she could get up. Besides, they had to do something about the creatures she saw.

“Do you think you are up to confronting some vampires?" Willow asked stretching to regain feeling in her legs. "I saw three at the edge of town. I think they were getting ready to head for the Bronze. They had that dressing up and looking for someone to bite look.”

“I’ll be able to make it, but we should tell Giles and the others.”

Willow went over and turned on the light while Tara blew out the candles and safely stowed them on a bookshelf holding their witchcraft accouterments. One of them would have to use the dustbuster to get all the salt up, but that could wait until later. Both hurriedly put on their boots and headed downstairs.

Since Buffy’s last wishes were for them to take care of each other they had moved into a large house on the north end of town. They had talked about just moving into the Summer's house, but Willow and Xander didn't like the constant reminders of Buffy and her obvious absence. Giles had a room on the top half floor, while the two couples each had a room on the second floor. Anya complained that her and Xander’s room was smaller, but the two girls had needed the extra space for their spells and supplies. The first floor had a modest sized kitchen, dining room, living room, and study, now library, where Giles kept some of the more important, and rare books. Spike also had a room in the basement next to Dawn’s. Ever since the final confrontation the two had been nearly inseparable. Spike even had a van fixed up so he could drive the young Summers to school, and pick her up in the afternoon. None of them were exactly certain why Dawn felt close to the soulless vampire, but were not willing to push the matter. So far the thorny issue of Dawn’s legal guardian had been solved by Giles starting adoption procedures. Dawn's absent father actually seemed relieved to not have to take care of his younger daughter.

Tara and Willow raced down the stairs and into the living room. On the love seat Anya sat to Xander's left to avoid his cast while both watched TV. Giles was in the study obsessively cross chronicling various demon references with assorted prophecies that might have some bearing on the near future.

On hearing the two witches race into the room Anya turned her head and stated, “You two need to find a third witch so you can do really powerful spells. Than maybe we wouldn’t miss Buffy on patrol so much and Xander won't get hurt again.”

“Ahn,” Xander said looking pained. “What did we say about bringing that up?”

“Well ever since she’s been gone everyone keeps getting hurt.” Anya pouted. “I don’t want anything to get in the way of our wedding. You have to be whole or it won’t be a perfect day.”

“Yeah, well that’s just a TV show. We have more power in two than three.” Willow said putting her arm around Tara’s waist and placing a kiss on her cheek.

“Owww!” Xander exclaimed as Anya’s elbow poked him in the stomach.

“I saw that, stop looking, you’re spoken for.”

Xander blushed slightly and to change the subject said, “So what brings you here at mach speed?”

“We did this really cool spell,” Tara started.

“And I saw three vampires in that cemetery in the northwest section of town. I think they were heading over towards the Bronze. It should take them at least an half hour to get there,” Willow finished.

“We s-should probably go stop them.” Tara added in case anyone had any doubts.

“Well, then, it looks like my night is looking up already.” Spike said as he entered from the dining room. “Niblet you done with your homework yet?” He yelled over his shoulder.

“Spike please, can’t you go over to the basement stairs before bellowing like a banshee.” Giles complained, coming into the living room holding a short sword and light coat.

A loud thumping and clumping that only the young can make when escaping homework at high speed interrupted Spike’s rejoinder. Dawn burst into the room with an eager look on her face.

“And I don’t think it’s a wise idea to bring Dawn with. The chances of her getting hurt...”

“Are a bloody lot less if she’s where I can watch her.” Spike cut in.

Every patrol they had had this argument, and each time Spike won. He would not go unless Dawn went also. He had made them give her two large crosses to wear and a super soaker filled with holy water. If anything bad happened to them she was to run for the house, but otherwise she would stay at the edge of any battle and try and hinder any vampires they found. If they encountered demons she was to stay near Willow and Tara. To this point only one demon had surprised them and hit Dawn. Spike had spent nearly fifteen minutes hacking up its body.

“And I don’t think its fair that I have to go to summer school.” Dawn whined, air her own grievance. “All the other kids don't have to, or at least not any of the cool ones.”

“Yes, well, they didn’t miss so much of the spring that they fell behind. You can’t let your education slip.” Giles stated.

“Thank you Sunnydale board of education,” Xander quipped.

Giles actually had the decency to look a bit abashed and replied, “A young person’s education is nothing to joke about.”

“Um, perhaps we should remember the vampires. You know, heading to the Bronze, looking for dinner.” Willow interjected.

Tara spoke up, “I think it would, uh, actually be breakfast.”

“Well, let’s get to it then.” Spike said and headed for the front entryway where he grabbed his black coat from the series of hooks there.

The others followed him, Giles covering the sword with his tan windbreaker. Dawn picked up her watergun and crosses from under the table on which the mail was kept. Tara firmly gripped Willow’s hand. Anya and Xander remained behind.

“Don’t forget to question one to find out why it’s here,” Anya called after them.

The night was fairly cool for a late June night. The group walked towards the Bronze with Spike and Dawn in the lead and Tara and Willow bringing up the rear.

Giles turned around and asked, “So how exactly did you determine the vampires’ whereabouts and their intentions?”

“We were witchy spies,” Willow said with a large pleased smile.

“It was Willow’s idea really,” Tara said and informed Giles what they had done.

“That sounds like a fairly risky spell,” Giles commented when she finished. “You could have lost your sight, been stuck on the astral plane, or even gained the attention of the creatures you were searching for. Working magic that blends two planes of existence is very tricky.”

“Hah, it was nothing for the two of us,” Willow said giving Tara’s hand an extra squeeze as they continued through the darkened streets. They were getting closer to the Bronze and started to see other people in pairs or groups.

“Yes, obviously. In any event we will have to look into the matter of the different colors. Could you see their features as well?”

“Sort of, but not real clearly. I think I would recognize them by their clothes, but not their faces.”

Shortly the Scoobies reached the warehouse containing the club. A few people gathered in small clumps outside, talking and enjoying the night air.

“Are they here yet?” Dawn asked.

“I don’t know, they were on the opposite side of town and might have been taking their time. I mean, I’m not even totally positive there coming here,” Willow replied and Spike rolled his eyes. “And then Tara was pretty exhausted from the spell so it’s been about a half hour since I saw their location.”

They decided to have Willow and Tara go in and see if they could identify the vampires while the others hung outside surveying the area. The two witches entered and quickly circulated through the crowd and gyrating dancers without seeing their quarry. They went back to the rest of the group and reported their lack of success.

“What now?” Dawn asked, already getting bored and impatient.

“We would appear to have two choices,” Giles began. “Either we head in the direction Willow thinks they’re coming and intercept them on their way here. Or, we try and anticipate them and lay an ambush.”

“Either way we could miss them,” Willow stated.

“Yeah, well we better decide quick or it won’t make any difference because they’ll be here,” Spike said. “I say we shove off a way and wait. If they are coming here they’ll be easy enough to spot.”

“What if we miss them?” Willow asked.

“I’ll watch the street to the north, and you and Tara watch the street to the south,” Giles responded.

Since no-one had a better idea they moved off a couple blocks to the north and one to the west. The area was a cross between storage and a few run down looking businesses, a locksmith and sheet metal shop in particular. Spike and Dawn hid in the shadows of one warehouse, while Giles went to the far side of the building. Tara and Willow went across the street to the locksmith and stood in the recessed doorway. Spike and Dawn were able to see others, who would signal if they saw anything.

Tara cautiously looked into the night, straining to hear any noise. The streetlights in this area were far between and dim making the night especially dark. The heavy scent of rusted metal also added to her unease. A bug scurried past her foot, and Tara bit back a scream. For a moment all she could see was darkness, and she thought she felt things crawling on her arms and in her hair, all just out of sight. She felt sticky and grimy and the scent of blood seemed to permeate the area. Panic and despair rose in her mind. Her hands started to flail around and she called out Willow’s name knowing she couldn’t be heard.

Willow spun around hearing her name, and noticed Tara’s agitated state and pale face.

“Tara, baby I’m right here!” she said as insistently as possible while trying not to raise her voice. Fear swept over her as Tara seemed to be thrashing wildly like she sometimes had after Glory had sucked her mind. The redhead moved in towards her lover, skillfully avoiding any blows, and wrapped her in a tight hug. She kissed Tara’s sweat-slickened cheeks while continuing to say reassuring words.

Occasionally her love would be lost in the memory of whatever Hell Glory had put her through. Willow had tried her best to help Tara work through the nightmares, sudden disorientation and screaming fits. This last couple of weeks she seemed to be making more progress and Willow had hoped these incidents had been relegated to the past.

The smell of Willow's hair, the press of her body finally registered in Tara's mind and the darkness and panic started to recede. She felt warmth and security from her lover’s embrace and the soft pressure of her lips on her cheeks. Placing both hands on Willow’s head she guided Willow’s lips to her own, kissing her desperately, passionately, and bruisingly. She clung to the witch with all her strength, eyes brimming with tears.

“W-Willow, don’t l-l-leave me. It’s so dark...,” her voice trailed off as Willow softly stroked her hair.

“I’m here, I’m here sweety, don’t worry,” Willow said trying to comfort her further. She pulled her head back and looked Tara in the eyes, hands cupping the blonde’s chin. “I love you. I'd never let you go. I’ll always be here for you.”

The two kissed again, and leaned further back into the doorway. Further off Spike gave the pair a disgusted look, but sensed no-one else in the vicinity. He looked towards Giles, but the ex-watcher was still gazing intently up the street.

“Well Niblet,” he whispered. “Looks like we may have missed them. Hell, I hate the waiting!”

Willow continued to stroke the hair of the head nestled in the crook of her neck. Like so many times before, Tara’s body shuddered every so often as the tension drained away. Willow was torn between her love for Tara and dark thoughts about Glory, the one responsible for her girlfriend's suffering. It was a good thing Glory hadn’t survived or Willow may have been tempted to seek her out. She hated to see Tara suffer like this.

“I smell fear over there,” came a deep harsh voice.

“Ah, I told you we would find some easy game here,” a satisfied sounding voice stated. “Go and bring them out.”

Willow looked up to see five people across the street. Three were wearing dark jackets and trousers that were in the current fashion. She recognized them instantly from her earlier spell. The other two were women, both wearing strapless evening wear that looked like it had come from one of the better stores in town. ‘They must have stopped to pick up the other two and broken into a clothing store. That’s why they’re so late,’ crossed Willow’s mind only to be replaced by anger at the interruption. Fury swept through her as two of the vampires started towards the doorway concealing her and Tara.

“Habondia hear my plea,” Willow closed her eyes and started chanting.

“Heart of earth, heart of stone, relinquish form, transform aqueous.”

She repeated the chant and pictured the street softening and turning into a muddy fluid and then clear water. In her mind she saw the vampires suddenly sink chest deep into the water that replaced the concrete street.

She said the invocation a third and final time finishing with, “as my will, so mote it be.”

A series of splashes and curses indicated her success, but she did not stop there. She opened her eyes to see the vampires startled by the sudden plunge. Only somewhat stunned however, they continued forward again.

Willow opened her jet black eyes and smiled exposing her white teeth. “Transmutation be complete, let Hertha be returned! As I will so mote it be.”

Before her the water returned to its original asphalt state. Three of the vampires cries were silenced as the concrete pressed in on them and they turned to dust under the intense pressure. The two nearest which had come close to making it out of the area merely screamed and flopped on the blood slick surface, their legs severed by the returning street.

Tara turned her head away from horrid sight. Once again she thought she had felt a cold air surround her while Willow was chanting. She couldn’t be sure however, as the lingering fright of the darkness Glory had consigned her to still echoed through her mind. Nevertheless, she was not blind and all of the fright was not from her previously maddened state.

“What the bloody hell?” Spike exclaimed upon arriving on the scene. “What happened to that lot?”

“Uggh, sick,” Dawn added and then turned and ran to the nearest wall to vomit.

“I used a transmutation spell on them,” Willow said proudly.

“You...did...what?” Giles asked breathlessly having run to the sound of the cries.

“A simple elemental transmutation spell. You know normally you cycle through the elements, turn water to fire to earth to air to water again. That sort of thing. Only this time I just used earth to water and back. Except I thought I would trap them in the stone. I guess when it transmutateded back there wasn’t room for anything else.”

“Good show! Nothing like a little mojo to settle things quick. But hey, can I dust these two already? They’re driving me bonkers, what with all the screaming.”

“Really, I thought you enjoyed that sort of thing?”

“No call to get nasty, Rupert. Besides, it just not the same when you’re not doing it yourself.”

“Somebody just stake them already!” Dawn cried.

Spike moved towards the writhing figures taking a stake from his coat pocket. Giles followed and put a restraining hand on the vampire's shoulder.

“Hang on a moment. This is a marvelous opportunity to learn a little bit. More and more vampires have been coming into town lately. It’s time we found out if there is anyone controlling or directing them.”

“Have at it then.”

Giles approached the first vampire. His deformed face was still a rictus of agony, though he had stopped thrashing about so much. Seeing the older human approaching carrying a short sword he tried to crawl off. Spike moved around to cut off his route up the street.

“I imagine you are in a great deal of pain right now. Why not end it and tell me what I want to know,” Giles began. “Now, who sent you and why are there so many of you in Sunnydale?”

“Everyone knows that the Slayer is dead,” the short, dark haired vampire stated. “This town should be wide open for grazing.”

“Indeed, well I believe you have realized your mistake by now. So who sent you?”

“No-one sent us. We just wandered into town.”

“Why do I get the impression you’re not telling me the whole truth?” Giles asked. The vampire merely scowled at Giles who nudged the now oozing stump of the vampire’s thigh. Its face contorted again and Giles asked, “You must have heard something. Someone called you here, or sent a message?”

“Enough! All I know is that some council from Europe or someplace back east has declared Sunnydale an open feeding ground. Anyone who wants to gather here is supposed to be allowed to feed whenever. No more skulking and avoiding each other.”

“Are you sure that is all?”

“Yes, yes that’s it.”

The other crippled vampire added, “Everyone says something big is supposed to happen by the end of summer. No-one knows what though.”

Spike came forward and drove his stake into the two vampires while Giles went back to Willow, Tara and Dawn who were watching from a short ways off.

“We should probably head back now,” Giles said. “I want to check through the books a bit on this vampire council. It seems to me that I recall something...”

“I-I think I hear someone coming,” Tara said.

Before Spike could say anything Dawn ran over to the edge of the building and carefully observed the street beyond. After a moment she withdrew her head and returned.

“I don’t think they’re vampires. It looks like some cops coming from the direction of the Bronze. Someone must have heard the screams.”

They quickly moved off in the opposite direction, and then circled around towards the house. Tara clung to her girlfriend as if just breaking contact would fling her once again into the madness that had possessed her. At the same time she was also disturbed by the transmutation spell Willow had worked. Wiccan beliefs said that what you send forth will be visited back upon the caster threefold. She knew Willow didn't really believe in the Threefold Law, nor in truth, in much of the Wiccan Rede. But such cavalier use of magic for such horrible results was shocking. Of course transmutation spells weren't dark magic.

She had learned from Dawn that Willow had gone seeking revenge on Glory after the Hell god had tortured her. While she couldn't entirely fault Willow for her actions, neither was she very clear on exactly how the young witch had managed to survive. Dawn had also mentioned something about Willow creating a barrier to keep a bunch of SCA rejects away from them, but such a spell should be well beyond Willow's capabilities. Actually, the more Tara thought about it, so should the transmutation spell. Well, at least done that quickly and with little preparation.

She hadn't brought up the fight they had had before, not wanting to open wounds that she didn't want to face. The whole fact that Willow had cared for her and stayed with her while she was temporarily insane told her all she needed to know. Still, something didn't feel right. Willow's energy flow was different somehow. If she weren't so tired maybe she could sense what it was. But she was tired, tired and scared that somehow her Willow would be torn from her. She sometimes still half-expected to roll over and find the bed empty and nothing but a note saying that Willow couldn't take it anymore. That had been the worst part of the darkness. Shouting and crying for Willow and no-one answering. The sinking conviction that she had driven her love away, that she was unworthy, dirty, not a good enough lover; that in some way Willow had decided that being with Oz had been better and was now looking for another boyfriend. Of course she knew better now, but the constant, incessant darkness and loneliness raised so many irrational fears. She shuddered and put her arm around Willow's waist, and smiled as she felt a reassuring squeeze on her hand.

A short while later they arrived at the three story building they called home. Spike made Dawn finish her schoolwork while he informed Xander and Anya what had happened. Giles disappeared into his study to research the vampire council. Tara and Willow went up to their room to clean up from the previous spell. While putting away the herbs and oils Tara's limbs felt leaden. Willow vacuumed up the sacred circle and the dustbuster's high pitched whir caused a deep throbbing in the back of Tara's head. When they were finished she sat listlessly on the edge of the bed. Willow fiddled with the magical texts, and re-arranged the various vials, seemingly unable to remain still for long. Tara got even more tired just watching her.

"Are you all right, baby?" Willow asked, suddenly sitting beside the blonde witch and taking her hands.

"I'm just tired, that's all. We need to talk about that spell..."

"Didn't it work out great? We saw where the danger was and were able to get the vampires before they hurt anyone. Well, we probably shouldn't wait so long next time. They could've hurt someone before we got to them. Maybe there is some way to paralyze them or put them to sleep after we find them? Oooh, or maybe that ball of sunshine idea, that would be perfect. We find them and then suddenly, poof out of nowhere, sunlight. No more vamps!"

Tara put her fingers over Willow's mouth to get her to stop gushing, and said, "No, n-not that spell, the other one. The one where the vampires got destroyed."

Willow kissed Tara's fingers and smiled, "Wasn't that neat? I got three of them no problem. And most important, none of us were in any danger."

"N-neat? You used magic to kill them." Although concern colored her voice, the other girl did not seem to notice.

"Actually I just meant to trap them so we could question them. But, they were just vampires and Spike would have killed them anyway," Willow got up again and started pacing. Tara was too tired to notice that Willow's eyes were darkening and that a chill started to creep into the room.

"I do have another idea though, but I'll need your help. If what that one vamp said is true, we may be facing more and more of them. Without Buffy here and the Hellmouth still present who knows what they might try and do. We have to be prepared. I won't let anyone else get hurt," She said the last part almost like a mantra oft repeated and used to chase off bad images.

"You can't control that," Tara interjected rising slowly to stand before her lover. "What we do is very dangerous. There is no way to make absolutely sure no-one gets injured. We just have to be careful."

"No, we have to be more than just careful. Buffy was careful and now she's gone. It was broad daylight in the middle of the fair when Glory hurt you." Tears started to form in Willow's eyes as she looked at Tara. "I couldn't bear it if something happened to you again. Especially if I could have done something to stop it."

Wordlessly Tara caressed Willow's cheek and then held her closely. She felt hot tears on her shoulder and moved her hand softly through Willow's hair. Tara pulled back, looked into Willow's puffy eyes now a brilliant green and said, “And how do you think I would feel if something happened to you? Do you think I could bear that any easier? You are the only one who has ever meant anything to me."

Willow started to say something but Tara cut her off. "No, wait, let me finish. I know I would do anything to stop you from getting hurt, and you probably would do the same. But I also don't want you to take any extra chances just to protect me. We face enough danger without one of us looking for more. I couldn't take it if I was the reason I lost you. Oh Goddess Willow there's more I want to say, but I am too tired to say it right. It's cold tonight and I just want to snuggle and go to sleep, OK?"

Willow embraced the blonde, whispering, "I love you so much," before kissing her deeply. Both lost themselves in the softness and savor of the other. When they could remain together no longer they parted slightly, hands still slowly tracing circles down the others’ back. Willow felt a familiar stirring deep within her and would have continued stroking Tara in the places she liked the most, but noticed that she was supporting most of her girlfriend’s weight and realized that Tara must really be exhausted.

With a small sigh of frustration the red head backed away and said, “Let’s get ready for bed. We’ll talk more tomorrow when you're feeling better.”

They quickly changed and climbed under the blanket and sheets. Tara turned out the light by the bed. As they snuggled together, Tara nestling her head in the crook of Willow’s neck with an arm thrown across her stomach, neither caught sight of a pair of translucent dog shaped heads that peered out of the darkness near their closet. Four yellow-green eyes observed the pair for a moment and then blinked out.

Willow stared at the ceiling her mind still racing while Tara breathed rhythmically beside her, already asleep. The transmutation spell had worked pretty well, but that was because the vampires had been standing on stone. The same spell wouldn’t have worked on something living like grass. She needed something more effective, without Buffy they were all in danger every time they went on patrol. The ball of sunshine was an interesting idea, but the spell took a fair amount of time to perform and she still couldn’t quite get it right. Besides, it might not work since it wasn’t real sunlight.

She was about to get up and search through the spell books for something else, but Tara’s arm reflexively hugged her tighter. She ran her hand over the sleeping girl’s arm only distantly aware of the smooth feeling of her skin. No, what she needed was something more combative. Maybe if both of them worked together they could transmute air into fire. Working in conjunction they could maybe eliminate a few ingredients or steps to speed the process up. That or transmute a larger area. In truth she was a bit surprised at how much stone had converted to water. Fire would be better though and it would work on demons, vampires and whatever else might decide to creep into Sunnydale. It was too bad there wasn’t a way to kill things outright, maybe stop their hearts or cause them to burst. Now that would be effective. Hadn’t here been something in that book of Darkest Magics like that? Again she had the notion to get up and try and find the book and again Tara seemed to draw closer.

‘Fine,’ she thought, ‘I’ll look for it tomorrow. Besides, I think it’s still at the Magic Box anyway.’

But she really did want to start on it now. Black magics worked better at night and she was in the right mood to study dark rituals and ingredients. Maybe the lightning she used on Glory would work better against non-gods? Calling forth that power had increased her own quite a bit. If she did it again that might just give her the extra edge she needed. On the other hand her will had been magnified by the need for vengeance, she had almost considered calling on D’Hoffryn then, but what use would a mere demon have been against a Hellgod? No, she had needed much greater power.

‘And truthfully I didn’t care if I came back or not.’ She shuddered at the thought and kissed the top of Tara’s head, breathing in the scent of her hair. It smelt so uniquely of Tara that she became lost in memories of her lover. A few moments later her regular breathing joined that of her girlfriend’s.

Tara awoke slowly. She vaguely recalled some dream from the night before. Something about a large dog or wolf in the middle of four roads. Willow had started walking down one to the left and the wolf was between them. That was all she remembered though it had been chilly as well. It certainly wasn’t cold now though. Willow’s body was lying warmly next to her, well, actually it was pretty hot. She snickered at the thought and now was almost fully awake. The front of her shirt was damp where their combined heat had caused her to sweat. She must have been totally exhausted, she was still in the same position she had started in last night. Her neck was sort of stiff but otherwise she felt much better. Even the damp shirt clinging to her chest didn’t bother her. It was too bad Willow was still asleep. She remained where she was enjoying Willow’s presence and heat and hoping that the red head would get up soon. She thought of Willow’s hands exploring her, and arousal raised her own temperature. Unfortunately Willow vexed her by continuing to sleep on blissfully unaware of Tara’s rising need. After waiting a while longer, Tara finally just got up and went off to the bathroom and shower.

By the time she got back it was close to 11:00 am. She hadn’t realized it was so late. Willow was still sound asleep and showed no signs of waking. She figured the spells must have taken more out of the witch than she had thought. She went downstairs to the kitchen where Miss Kitty Fantastico mewed and rubbed against her ankles.

“Does someone need something to eat?” Tara asked the feline who replied by looking up and meowing louder. Tara scratched Miss Kitty behind the ears and rubbed her head. The cat leaned into her hand and purred loudly. After a few more moments of petting she flumped over and rolled onto her back, exposing a black and white belly for more loving attention. Several minutes later Tara stood back up and went about fixing something to eat for both of them. The house was quiet with Dawn gone to summer school, Spike and Willow both sleeping and the others all at work.

While Miss Kitty washed herself, Tara finished her Raisin Bran and bananas. She was torn over what to do next. She should go to the Magic Box and see what Giles knew about the spells Willow used to fight Glory. Maybe he would know where she got the power to take on the Hellgod and not die in the process. On the other hand, she also didn’t want to leave the house while Willow was sleeping. OK, honestly she just didn’t want to leave Willow period. What if something happened on the way to the Magic Box? It would take at least an hour to get there and back on foot. That was too long, it made her nervous knowing that her lover’s comforting presence wasn’t nearby.

‘Uggh, this is stupid,’ she thought. ‘I certainly ought to be able to go to the store without having to have Willow with me. But, it’s so far away.’

She tucked her hair behind her ear and sat silently considering what to do. Finally she decided that Willow would probably wake up soon, and that there might be something in the spell books they had here that would help. That decided she quickly dumped the bowl and glass in the sink and hurried upstairs. Maybe Willow was awake already.

Unfortunately that was not the case. Her companion lay still asleep, though she had turned over toward Tara's side of the bed with one arm stretched out over where she normally slept. Willow's beautiful red hair lay lightly against her cheek, and a slight grin crossed her face. For no reason Tara could identify tears started to form in her eyes. She continued to stare raptly at her friend and lover. She sniffled her nose as the tears ran freely down her cheeks. Quickly she moved over to her side of the bed and lay down beside the red head. She wanted nothing more than to feel her presence beside her, to smell her and touch her skin. The tears kept coming and she couldn't tell if she was happy or sad, whether love drove her or panic. As she slid in beside Willow, moving her arm so that it was draped over her, she felt her girlfriend stir.

Willow opened her eyes to see a tear streaked Tara sobbing beside her and clutching her arm. Immediately she hugged Tara to her.

"What's wrong? Are you okay? What happened?" Willow bubbled but Tara couldn't say anything. She just looked at Willow through moist, glistening eyes. Willow kissed her cheeks tasting the salty liquid that covered the blonde's face. They continued kissing for some time, Willow sensing a vacuum in Tara's being, some sort of incompleteness or gap that she tried to fill with all the love and caring she could.

Although they had made love several times since that night, neither had been wholeheartedly present. Tara had still felt a sense of unreality and distance, like nothing was substantial, everything a ghost echo of touching. Willow on the other hand had been in a state of shock over Buffy's death. Nothing seemed to matter to her or even worth any effort. Her apathy had dwindled with the passing weeks, but neither had felt the flow of emotion or the joining of spirits they had felt before.

This time Willow felt the hole in her lover and rushed to fill it. Clothes soon left their bodies, flung about the room with little care. Tara felt Willows soft lips and her sweet tongue rediscover the most sensitive areas of her body. She exalted in the feel of her smooth skin against her own, in the kindling excitement and her own wetness. As they exchanged cascading waves of pleasure, each felt that the other was finally with them and not lost in the past.

They lay drenched in sweat, enjoying the slower caresses and full afterglow for the first time in what seemed like ages. Neither spoke, finding little need to waste the breath or effort on what was blatantly obvious. Willow fell asleep again, her legs entwined with Tara's, her head above one soft breast. Although she was tired also, the tingling sense of wellness drove off any sense of fatigue. She felt Willow's heart beat against her side, and the gentle rise and fall of her chest and marveled at how lucky she was to be here.

Tara woke with a start and looked over at the clock. It was almost 3 pm and that meant the day was almost over. If she wanted to have a talk with Giles before fixing dinner for everyone, they would have to get a move on. Willow was still cuddled up against her, sleeping peacefully. Since she still didn't want to go alone so Tara stirred her lover thinking, 'I can't believe she's still asleep.' The witch woke slowly, her green eyes looking up into Tara's blue ones.

"Hey there," a slow lazy smile drifted over her lips.

"Hey yourself Rip Van Winkle," she replied.

"What time is it?"

"About three,"

"Three? The day's almost gone. I think a certain blonde haired vixen tired me out earlier." Willow sat up slowly and tried to think of a way to head off to the Magic Box without seeming too anxious.

While she was still considering the matter Tara said, "I-I think I should head over to Giles' shop. We need to refill some of our herbs and stuff."

"Oooh, good idea! I want to get a few things too," Willow added ignoring the slightly worried look that appeared on Tara's face. "And anyways, someone has to go to the grocery store before dinner, or did you forget that?"

Tara gave a small sigh and admitted that she had. Their plans settled, they quickly took care of what should have been morning toiletries, and dressed. Spike would need the van to pick up Dawn so they walked downtown. Tara enjoyed the warmth of the sunny afternoon, the fresh air, and her girlfriend's arm around her waist. Despite the cheery day, Willow seemed a little distracted as they talked about nothing in particular.

When they got to the shop they greeted Anya who was behind the register as normal, and Giles, who was going through several large books he had dug out of the back storage.
"Have you found anything on the council?" Tara asked.

"Not enough I'm afraid," Giles began. "There seems to have been mention of a movement for unification in the vampire community in the early 1600s, but all accounts say that it never succeeded. Watcher records indicate that the slayer of that time slew several of the leaders and the others were disorganized. On the other hand the chronicles also show that there were less reports of vampiric activity after that. Almost as if they started consciously trying to cover their tracks. It makes one wonder if there wasn't some central body directing things."

"And these vague notions meant we had to spend most of the profit margin on rotting inventory we'll never be able to sell," Anya interjected.

"Yes, well if those books give us some clue on the current situation it will have been a wise investment. I would appreciate a little aid right now though. I believe these volumes may be helpful."

"We don't have a lot of time right now," Willow said.

"We have to go shopping and be back to make dinner," Tara elaborated.

"We're mostly just here to get some supplies," Willow finished.

"But I could h-help for awhile," Tara turned towards Willow, "if you get the things we need that is."

Willow agreed, relieved to be able to move around the shop without Tara following her.

"Don't forget you have to pay for everything," Anya called as Willow went up the stairs to the loft shelves. She shot the ex-demon an annoyed look which was blithely ignored.

Tara waited to make sure the other girl was occupied before heading over to Giles and picking up one of the books he indicated. It was a translation of a medieval monk's journal during his wanderings in Eastern Europe. One of the classes Tara intended to take the next semester was Latin. If she specialized in that, and perhaps Greek or Arabic, she could help Giles more with primary source research.

After pretending to skim through the first section for a while, she softly asked, "Mr. Giles? Do you remember when I was attacked by Glory?" She reflexively rubbed the hand that had been crushed.

"Yes, indeed," Giles answered. "Willow was quite beside herself, though it was a horrible time for all of us."

Tara nodded and swallowed once before continuing, "H-how did Willow manage to survive the fight with Glory? Umm, I mean even B-Buffy couldn't beat her."

"Well, that is an interesting question. Unfortunately I don't really know," Giles said taking off his glasses. "We never got around to discussing what happened. You see Glory found all of you and after that we were on the run. There wasn't time to consider the matter. And Buffy didn't say what happened either."

"She was way pissed off wasn't she?"

"I would suppose so."

"Both Spike and Dawn said it took a while before Buffy went after her," Tara looked down letting her hair conceal her face. "I...I'm worried that Willow called on dark spirits for aid. She's gotten so much more powerful. Well, maybe she already was, but how did she do that spell last night? It was horrible, all that blood and the bones snapping." She shuddered as a shadow of the pain from when Glory held her swept through her mind. "And h-her aura feels d-different somehow, not like it was before. Sometimes it seems darker. I'm afraid she might have done something terrible."

"Sssh," Giles said putting a hand on the agitated blonde's shoulder. "Calm yourself. I am sure Willow hasn't done anything drastic like offering herself to the nether powers."

Tara agreed and said so, but added, "But her spells have a way of going cockeyed. I know she doesn't intend them to, but her focus sometimes isn't steady enough. I think, maybe, she gets distracted easily...or something."

"Hmmn," Giles considered, vaguely recalling Willow keeping the Knights of Byzantium out of the rundown gas station. That had also been a powerful spell he wouldn't have thought she was capable of successfully casting. Of course he was wounded at the time and not paying much attention to what was going on around him.

"She also tends to experiment with spells quite a bit. Once she expanded a small light spell into a very wide illumination. She merged the astral travel and clairvoyance together. Changing spells around is very dangerous. The powers invoked..."

"Actually, it's not as dangerous as it seems," Giles interrupted. "Spells are more a process towards a desired end rather than a thing of themselves. It is not like, um, say a chemistry experiment where you need to follow each step exactly. It's more like cooking where if you change some of the ingredients you get slightly different results."

Tara shook her head, disagreement plain on her face and said with conviction. "My mother always taught me that you shouldn't mess around with the spells. They were handed down from her mother and through the family for quite some time. Besides, if you alter things you don't know what will result, or maybe nothing happens." She ducked her head and reddened slightly, suddenly aware that she was contradicting Giles.

"Yes, I have heard that practitioners raised by oral tradition, or using spells handed down through the generations, are much less inclined to experiment, and that may be for the best. Still, remember that most of the ritual, words, even the ingredients are designed to focus your will to allow you to change the way the world exists. They are merely props to help you gain a desired effect. When not calling on spirit powers, good or evil, or drawing on them, many of the steps can be dispensed with. One of the reasons there are so many different systems of magic is because different cultures need different tools to achieve the necessary mind state. That also helps explain why magic is as much an art as it is following formulas. For you, since you believe changing things would lead to unexpected results or failure, that is exactly what's most likely to happen. Similarly, someone who really doesn't believe in magic, but who tries a spell on a lark, is also probably going to fail. Deep down they believe they will fail."

"But what about Willow?"

"Well, she obviously does not have your extensive background so her mind is more open to experimenting. She is a very intelligent girl with a great deal of imagination and that is partially what makes her so powerful." Giles sat back and bit on the end of his glasses for a second. "I daresay you are probably correct about her lack of focus though. She must be able to get into the proper frame of mind quickly, but gets distracted from the focal point of the spell. As her attention wanders, the spell's built up energies must be flung along different lines." Giles shook his head and returned the glasses to his face. "I blame myself really. I should have observed her technique while she was attempting several different spells."

Tara still did not look entirely convinced. Giles was obviously very knowledgeable about magic, but her mother had also been a very powerful witch. Still, none of this explained the dark stain that was maybe there in Willow's energy flow and she voiced this concern.

Willow had grabbed a few common herbs they were low on while Tara went to help Giles with the research. She surreptitiously observed them to make sure they weren't paying any attention to her, and that Anya was busy with another customer, before she started upstairs towards the rarer items and hidden grimoires. Just to make sure no-one was coming to check on her, she grabbed a few of the powdered gemstones of which they needed restocks. Still no-one, so she moved over to the area where Giles hid the darker magic books.

‘Hmmph,’ She thought, ‘any witch practiced dark magic according to medieval clergy. Even one healing poultice and its off to the stake with you. They probably wouldn’t recognize dark magic if it zapped them on the butt.’ She smirked and moved the volumes from the front of the lower shelf revealing three dark brown books, one of which had thick wiry black hair on it. She removed the aged tome on the right which also had a broken clasp.

Before she hadn’t had time to thoroughly look through it, though she figured she really didn’t now either. Instead she just put it on the floor and opened the cover, feeling a warmth and odd softness as she did. A hot fetid wind blew the pages like last time till they stopped on a particular one. Willow hoped that it would reveal some spell that would allow her to easily destroy the vampires or demons that continued crawling into Sunnydale. True, they had killed most of the evil creatures they found, but sooner or later the news that Buffy was dead would be widespread and attract something really dangerous to the Hellmouth. When that happened who knew what would show up. Or how many. No, if they were to survive, if Tara was to avoid getting hurt, they were going to need something stronger with which to combat the evil forces coming. Willow just hoped that the spells in this book would be strong enough. She began reading the incantation on the proffered page.

END PART 1 TBC…

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:32 pm 
Hoo boy, this board is just swimming in amazing authors - keeping up is a job of work! This was seriously good, I loved it... Spike and Dawn's inseparability was wonderful, Tara's fear, Willow's slide... you've got it all brilliantly. I really enjoyed reading and am eagerly awaiting more.

------------------
“You’re my wife now…” Papa Lazarou
-The League of Gentlemen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:09 pm 
Very, very good.

Yes.

------------------
*You're really good.I'll prove it. Here, do me.*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:32 am 
Garner= the fic is truely amazing, I was wondering what sort of magick you could pull off

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:39 am 
Come along Garner lets have more!

I like this, it captures alot of themes and sits very comfortably around canon... and it shouldn't have got shoved to the back burner... not at all.

Katharyn

------------------
You hear that baby?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:30 am 
This looks very interesting. It will be neat to get some answers to questions that still remained unanswered this late in S6.

The idea that Tara is suffering some after-effects is a compelling one and makes her arguement with Willow in Tabla Rasa even more heartbreaking.

Are you going to try to work this in with established S6 canon?

Really liked the idea that Willow, being self taught, is more apt to experiment with magics than Tara, a traditional witch.

I am intrigued to see where this will go!

Warlock

------------------
Web Warlock
web.warlock@attbi.com webwarlock@planetadnd.com
Author, the Netbooks of Witches and Warlocks
The Other Side: http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/
Shadow Earth Games: http://www.rpghost.com/WebWarlock/
The FanCC: http://www.enworld.org/fancc/
--
"What the hell is your problem?" - Ozzy Osbourne to me, Feb. 1996

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:10 pm 
OK, here is the second part of the story. It is still on going, but not recently. I guess I should continue though I have one more one shot to finish first.
Warlock, thanks for the comments. I tried to think a bit about Tara and Willow's different approaches to magic and witchcraft and what that might lead to.
Since I hate the canon from season 6 quite a bit (in regards to W/T, and don't even get me started if EITHER of them dies this season) I am not going to make any attempt to follow it. When I first started this I had one thought in mind (which may change a bit) and that is in Season 6 and probably relatively early, Willow would lose her powers. She was too powerful and not the central character. With that in mind I like to stay as close to the show as possible, but this will deviate radically, sorry. I do appreciate everyone's comments and hope that you like the next part as well. So enough preamble.

Author: Garner
Email: Garner502@yahoo.com
Feedback: Always nice to see what everyone thinks about the direction I am going in.
Distribution: Go ahead and post this where you want. I would like to know where though as I probably don’t know about the site and may want to go there.
Spoilers: Very few, this takes place after The Gift, and before Season 6 starts.
Rating: PG-13 still, though a bit of violence at points.
Pairing: W/T, X/A only slightly.
Disclaimer: The characters are Joss Whedon’s, I have no right to any of them and make no money on this whatsoever.
Summary: Willow and Tara continue to deal with Willow’s use of dark magic.
Note: December 2001

Consequences Part 2

Tara and Willow left the Magic Box with just enough time left to make it to the grocery store and return home before most of the others got there. Dawn and Spike were already back of course, so the two witches drafted the young Summers to help with the preparations. Soon, the scent of chicken and pasta drifted out of the kitchen and greeted Xander, Anya and Giles as they returned from work. The group watched the news to make sure nothing important, or which might require their attention, had happened while Dawn set the table and Tara brought out the food.

They ate through the end of the broadcast, and aside from a continued streak of cool weather the media had nothing significant to report.

“There’s something we don’t see enough of,” Xander commented. “A day with no murders, deaths or injuries.”

“Just wait a day and that will change,” Anya replied between chews receiving several glares from the rest. “Well since the weather hardly ever changes something has to.”

Once dinner was finished Tara and Willow began clearing the table. While they were busy, Giles, Anya, and Xander started looking through some of the books that Giles had brought back. Although there was no specific mention of a Vampire Council, certain passages did hint at groups of vampires acting in a seemingly related manner. Nothing overt of course, but with hints of a common goal vaguely present.

“Well, I’ve been around some time and I never heard of any vampire council,” Spike remarked. “But then we were always moving around. Darla and Angel liked to travel. More than most vampires did.”

“Why is that?” Dawn asked. Since it was Friday night, the teenager had wanted to spend time with her school friends. Unfortunately for her the threat of increased vampiric activity meant that none of the gang thought it was a good idea that she leave. They tried to make it up to her by promising pie and ice cream for a late night snack.

“When you show up in some new burg and people start disappearing, or turn up dead, the outsiders tend to be the first ones blamed. People were a lot tighter back then and noticed when strangers were around. Made things bloody difficult I can tell you.”

“Wow, maybe peasants weren’t that stupid after all,” Xander stated.

“Oh no, most were dumb as the mud they dug through,” Anya chimed in with a cheery smile. “There was one peasant farmer who cheated on his wife and thought it didn’t count because he did it on Saturdays and that was the end of the week. I think I turned his penis to stone.”
Slightly dazed looks met the ex-demon’s proclamation.

“Its more painful than it sounds,” she explained helpfully. “Your bladder swells and there is no relief and eventually...”

“I think we get the idea, thank you Anya,” Giles stepped in. “Perhaps we should give Angel a call. He may remember something or have heard of some organization.”

“Oh, good idea. I’ll do it,” Willow said.

“You just want to avoid washing dishes,” Tara chided and Willow flashed a small smile and stuck out the tip of her tongue as she went to look for the cordless phone.

She found it on the end table by the couch and after a moment of recollection, dialed Angel’s number. Cordelia answered and, after a few pleasantries, explained that Angel had gone to some weird guru place in India. A little more small talk followed and then Willow returned to the research party to report Angel’s absence.

Tara came out of the kitchen with wet soapy hands and dragged Willow into the kitchen saying, “See, the planets are aligned so that you can’t shirk your domestic duties.”

Willow let herself be pulled along pronouncing with mock glumness, “The planets never let me shirk anything.” Once in the kitchen a mischievous grin crossed her face and she added, “But tonight I think they indicate that blondes will be in for much tickling,” and began prodding her girlfriend in the side.

Tara screeched and giggled which drove Willow on, using both hands on her squirming girlfriend. As the redhead refused to let up, Tara was forced to take drastic measures, cupping her hands to splash dishwater at her tormentor. Willow’s howl of indignation brought the rest of the Scoobies running only to discover the two witches amidst a full blown water fight.

“That certainly isn’t helping anything,” Anya said. The fracasing couple paused, looked at each other momentarily before both tossing a veritable wave at the intruding girl. She sputtered and looked so surprised and shocked that Tara and Willow leaned together laughing uncontrollably, barely able to stand.

“I don’t understand,” Anya exclaimed. “Why is being all wet funny?”

“Remember how funny you thought the three stooges were?” Xander asked.

“Yes, but that was when someone else was getting hurt.”

Giles rolled his eyes though a slight grin did mar his scowl of disapproval. Xander took Anya upstairs to change, while the rest, except for Giles, went back to the dining room.

“When you are quite through I think it might be a good idea if you try your astral vision spell again. We need to know if there are any more vampires massing in town, and I would like to take the opportunity to observe this new spell, watch your technique. If you don’t mind that is?”

“Uh, um,” Willow stammered.
Tara jumped in quickly with, “No, why would we mind? It might be interesting to have a different perspective. Don’t you think so sweety?”

“I guess,” Willow said still obviously looking unsure. “It’s just that I’ve never had someone watching before. It would seem like a magic test...or something.”

“Maybe Giles can give us some advice that will make the spell easier or more effective,” Tara suggested.

“I had something else I wanted to try first, sort of as a preparation...”

“We could still do that, if you wanted.”

“Yes, don’t change your plans on my account. There is still quite a bit of material to go through.”

With everyone agreed, Giles returned to his books while Willow and Tara mopped up the kitchen and then finished the dishes. By the time they were done Anya and Xander had returned to aid in the reading while Spike and Dawn were watching the Sci Fi channel on cable. The two witches quietly proceeded upstairs to their room.

Willow went over to the closest and quickly slipped out of her sodden shirt, hanging it on the doorknob to dry. Tara did the same, though she placed her T-shirt on a chair near their desk which held Willow’s laptop. She watched Willow picking out a different shirt and admired her profile, and the white bra that attractively lifted her small breasts. She went over to her lover and wrapped her arms around her smooth belly. Willow pressed back into the embrace, and Tara placed a light kiss beneath her right ear.

“You’re not upset at having Giles help us are you?” She asked softly.

Willow thought a moment and then answered, “Not really I guess. It just seems sort of weird, you know? It feels so...I don’t know, intimate, when we do spells together. It would be like making out in public.”

Actually Tara hadn’t fully considered the matter and blushed a light red at the thought. There was a deep connection between them when they worked magic. As they went through a ritual it was like their spirits merged and a profound flow of energy that was nearly euphoric engulfed them. Having someone watch while those emotions played through them would be worse than making out in public. It would be more like having a stranger watch while they made love. Tara’s blush deepened and she was starting to regret the whole idea of having Giles observe the process.

“I h-h-hadn’t thought about that,” she said truthfully. “But if Giles can help with the spell, you know maybe make it less dangerous, than it might be OK. If it’s OK with you that is?”

“It would be nice to get his input,” the other witch admitted. “He is good with the watcher thing, and he does know a lot about the Art.”

“It’ll be all right,” Tara’s brow wrinkled for a moment. “Besides, I sort of think it might help him get over Buffy’s death a bit. He needs to look after someone.”

It dawned on Willow that Tara was probably right. Giles had been distant and even more stoic since then. His retreat into his books was also likely not very healthy. This might bring him out of whatever Hell he was putting himself through.

Willow shook her head and thought again how lucky she was to have this amazing person as her own. She turned around in Tara’s arms and kissed her deeply.

“You know you’re as smart as you are beautiful?” She asked.

“I may have heard something like that from a certain woman,” Tara said smiling back sweetly. “But then she was also married to my father so that may lend some doubts to her judgment.”

Willow gave her a playful bump with her head. She handed Tara a dark blue shirt which both liked a lot, and put on one of her own darker blouses.

“So, what is it that you wanted to try out? A new spell?”

Willow backed away and went over to bookshelf holding various vials, clay jars, and candles. Three fresh red roses stood in a thin-necked crystal vase on the middle shelf. She had gotten them at the grocery store, ostensibly for Tara because she knew that the blonde liked them, but also because one would be helpful tonight. She picked the shortest out and let the water slide off.

“Well?”

“You remember sometime after we first met, one of the first spells we did together was floating a rose and trying to pluck the petals off it?”

Tara nodded. “It went all haywire because of some other dark magic in the area at the time right?”

“Exactly. I thought it would be good practice to try that again. I still think it’s a good test of our synchronicity, control, and ability to work together. It’ll help restore the pathways in your mind and let us get back in sync.”

“Cool. That sounds like a neat idea.”

Tara joined her fellow practitioner at the bookshelf and took a large jar off one of the lower shelves. She twisted the top stopper off revealing small white crystals. Both went and stood on the black rug facing each other. Tara started pouring the salt carefully on her right side, turning around as she completed a half-circle. When she was done, she handed the jar to Willow who completed the circle.

“Hail, Guardians of the Watchtowers! We invoke and call you. Let no evil pass this line. We are between the worlds, where the elements, birth and death, time and space, all meet as one. Let the circle be cast!” they said in unison.

They then sat cross-legged, and Willow put the rose between them instead of off to their side like last time. They joined hands and concentrated on the flower. In Tara’s mind she saw the delicate green and red flower slowly begin to rise off the ground. Lazily, it floated upwards until it rested at her eye level. The familiar sense of Willow and the giddy feel of their combined magic washed over her. She could sense their power billowing within the circle.

They both opened their eyes and saw the rose between them bobbing slightly. They smiled and Willow said, “Ready for the hard part?”

The blonde nodded and closed her eyes again. She thought of the warm rush of their energy moving ever so slightly towards the deep red petals. She pictured each petal as unique and separate with its own feel, look and texture. The power slowly crept over an individual petal, caressing it almost like her hand did Willow’s face. Once the petal was fully enveloped with a faint, pale blue glow, she saw it start to bend outward and carefully pull loose from the stem. When it separated, the petal moved away from the blossom to float a short ways off by itself.

Tara’s eyes opened again to see that reality was just as she had pictured it in her mind. Both parts continued to levitate at about eye level between them. She smiled at Willow, feeling closer to her than she had in quite some time, even when they had lain together earlier that day. It was as if a discorpreal Willow was superimposed over her, and at the same time another was submerged within her as well. They seemed to flow into and through each other.

The petal suddenly spun and twisted slightly as Tara once again felt a cold darkness pass through her. For a moment it seemed within her and without and panic threatened to take her. But at the same time her lover’s essence swam so closely through her that whatever chill or dread may have crept up on her, it found no purchase. She focused her concentration again pushing the distraction away and the petal stopped moving and straightened. Their concentration once again merged.

“Are you OK?” Willow asked.

“Are you OK?” Willow asked. The soft voice seemed to be both vibrating in her head and all around her.

“Y-yes,” she answered many times in fainter and louder voices.

She sensed that Willow wanted to continue on to the next petal, and so turned theirw attention to it, this time keeping her eyes open. Shortly the second petal was also floating near the stem, a little ways from the first. They continued until none of the petals remained attached to the rose, and instead rested in a ring around it.

“Now, let’s make the petals fly in a circle, and then move outwards,” one of them said, or perhaps it was both.

They concentrated and the ring of petals began to rotate; slowly at first and then faster. After a moment they stopped the circular motion and then moved the red specks outward so that it looked like the rose had exploded, only in slow motion. When the petals surrounded both of them, they started to rotate once again. Suddenly the stem and each of the petals burst into a golden flame and vanished.

The two girls sat momentarily stunned by what had just occurred until Tara finally said, “Uh, t-that was more than intense.”

“Tell me about it. It was like you were woven throughout me. That certainly didn’t happen last time.”

“No, but we didn’t get as far last time. And what was with the flames? You didn’t do that did you? If you did it was way cool.”

“I maybe thought it might have been you, which would have been OK, but since it’s not it’s probably not, you know?”

“Uhh,” Tara shook her head and her hair fell in front of her face. She deftly tucked one side back behind her ear and said. “Last time when the spell went wrong it was because someone cast some powerful dark magic. You don’t think that happened again?”

“I hope Giles isn’t a demon again. Oooh-Oh, you don’t suppose Ethan Rayne is back in town because his hijincks are neither fun nor hilarious. He turned me into a ghost once.”

“I did feel a slight pass of dark energy, but I couldn’t be sure, I was trying to concentrate on the spell. My legs are killing me. Do you think it’s safe to leave the circle, maybe that was an attack on us?”

Willow stood and helped the other witch to her feet, but both were careful to not cross the line enclosing them.

“Actually, last time the spell went more out of control I think. This didn’t quite feel the same...not as dark?” Willow noted.

“We should still tell Giles though, right? He’ll know what to do won’t he?”

“Well we should at least tell him,” Willow said with a grin. “He’ll probably just say,” and here she lowered her voice and tried to do a British accent, “Oh dear lord.”

Tara didn’t get it, but smiled anyway at Willow’s giggle and her bad impersonation. The blonde turned to leave the circle, but other girl’s restraining hand halted her.

“I’ve got a better idea. I’ll project my thoughts to Giles that way if we are under attack we don’t have to leave the circle.”

“You can do that?”

“Watch me,” Willow responded with a big, confident smile.

At that moment Giles was just picking up a different volume. He thought he remembered something on vampiric activity in the mid 1700s with regards to the New World and the colonies. If he could just find the New York chronicle. That city had always been more open and less godly than Boston.

‘Giles, can you come up to Tara and my room?’ He heard in his mind and threw the book he was holding into the air.

“Decaf, definitely a good life-style choice G-man,” Xander declared avoiding the tossed tome.

“Uhm, can you still her me? Is something attacking you?” Giles said seemingly to no-one.

‘We’re not sure. The spell we were doing went haywire. Through no fault of my own I might add so you don’t have to ask!’

“So, so you’re not in any imminent danger then?” Giles stammered looking obviously ill at ease.

“OK. Why don’t we get the nice watcher some happy pills and send him to bed?” Xander stated looking around and seeing no-one else there.

“See,” Anya spoke up. “I told you this is what happens when you don’t have sex.”

‘No, I don’t think so. It was more like what happened the night Ethan Rayne turned you into a demon, but we’re not sure.’

‘Xander, our spell went bonkers like when Ethan turned Giles into a demon.’ The young man jumped out of his chair as Willow’s voice echoed in his mind.

“Holy snikies! Will is that you?” Xander said out loud.

“That’s it, it’s contagious. We are going to have sex now,” Anya announced getting up and grabbing Xander’s good arm.

‘You two did it in Buffy’s closet?’ Willow asked in an incredulous tone.

“OK I’ve gotta say not loving the Star Trek Six mind rape thing here!” Xander almost shouted turning red. “Can’t I have any privacy in my own mind? It’s all right Ahn, Willow is talking in my mind.”

‘Sorry, I’m still getting the hang of this. But you were thinking it awfully loud,’ Willow apologized.

“Tell her to stop,” Anya said hugging her fiancee. “His mind’s mine too,” she announced to the ceiling.

Giles went upstairs while Xander informed Anya, Spike and Dawn what was going on. Giles knocked on the door to the witches’ room, and entered when they bid him come in. The pair were still standing in the sacred circle, Willow happily explaining the telepathy spell to Tara. To answer Giles query as to what happened they explained the whole rose incident.

“Burst of gold flame you say?” Giles finally commented, taking off his glasses and they nodded. “I-I suppose we should check and see if Ethan is in town, but I don’t believe any spell he would use would have that particular effect. I also don’t think you are, or um were, under attack and in any case the flower was inside the circle so it probably won’t help much in any case.”

“If it wasn’t Ethan than who?” Willow asked still standing slightly behind the larger witch.

“Or what?” Tara amended.

“I couldn’t say at the moment. I do wish that you had told me you were experimenting with telepathy. It is very tricky to not be invasive or leave yourself open to a mental counterattack that could lead to possession, psychosis, or schizophrenia.”

“I only used it one other time, at the battle...when I told Spike to try and rescue Dawn,” Willow said with a guilt filled face.

“I daresay that you did the best you could, as did Spike. That Doc chap was too much of an unknown. We didn’t have any time to research him; to come prepared for him,” Giles explained, though whether to Willow or himself was obviously in question.

“Shouldn’t we check around, go on patrol or something?” Tara asked.

“We could do the astral-clairvoyance spell,” Willow put in perking up. “If you feel strong enough for it.”

“I don’t know if that is wise,” Giles said. “Perhaps the problem with the rose was designed to lure you to some trap. It’s a dangerous spell to start with and at the very least the astral plane is likely to be stirred up. We don’t know what you might encounter.”

Willow put her arms around Tara’s waist and said, “Together we can do it. Besides we do have all this energy built up in the circle and haven’t earthed it yet.”

Giles let out his breath and said, “Very well, I suppose we do need to see if there are more vampires in town. But I want you both to be careful. No unnecessary risks. If you come across any demons, elementals or whatnot come right back.”

Giles looked around taking in the pair’s room. The bed was across from the door, beyond the circle, with a pair of dressers opposite it. To his left were two bookshelves, one with various books and the other with their witchcraft materials. A desk sat between the second shelf and the bed, but the chair was pushed in to make room for the circle. With no place to sit he just closed the door to prevent interruptions and leaned against the wall to his right next to an small table with a lamp and several stuffed animals.

“Uhm, how are we going to get the candles and censer?” Tara asked.

Willow looked out of the circle to the bookshelf and the needed items, all well beyond arm’s reach.

“Uggh!” Willow exclaimed shaking her head. “Fine, hold my hand and we’ll just float what we need to us. It’ll be a good warm-up.”

Tara shrugged and agreed. They held hands and the wanted materials began to fly over towards them. Tara thought that after the rose this was actually pretty easy. They soon had everything set up while Giles watched silently. At one point Xander knocked on the door to make sure everything was all right and Giles told him what was going on. By the time he was finished Tara and Willow were sitting facing each other again.

They carefully repeated the same spell as the night before. When they finished the chant, Tara had the same tunnel vision and sense of motion. Again she saw the shadowy outline of the city, but this time there seemed to be other things moving in the ‘air’ further above the town. She couldn’t quite make all of them out, but they were roughly human shaped surrounded by a white glow tinged with gold specks. There were quite a few of them darting about. Down below their point of view darker shapes flitted in and out of the buildings. Their quick movements meant they were astral denizens rather than aspects of material world inhabitants.

‘Something certainly stirred things up tonight,’ Tara thought though the creatures, light or dark, seemed to pay no attention to her and Willow. Both girls also noticed a sizable number of red specks gathering in an area littered with bones where there were also vaporous bodies stretched upwards from tugging at their connection to the ground.

It was at this point that Willow perceived that the world beneath them seemed to flux, or ripple. The buildings and ground flexed as if made of liquid and a good sized wave was moving outwards. The astral atmosphere also warped in a similar manner with the front of the disturbance heading rapidly towards them.

“What do you think that is?” Willow asked, her voice sounding her partner’s head.

“I...I have no idea. M-maybe we should go the other way?” Tara replied, but their conversation took too long and the ripple flowed over them. Both felt a fetid wind containing the scent of brimstone, and the faint echoes of screams and perhaps wet ripping noises. Neither felt injured and the wave continued on past them.

“OK, that counts as a wig-worthy event. I’m wigged,” Willow said shakily.

“Totally,” Tara added also shaken.

For his part, Giles noticed the two witches suddenly stiffen and turn slightly pale. Sweat broke out on their faces, but otherwise nothing ill occurred. He knew better than to break their concentration and so remained quiet, for the moment at least. He was fascinated by the way the two worked together without any overt direction or conversation.

“W-what do you think caused that? Maybe we should return, you know, end the spell?”

Willow thought about it for a moment and then said, “No, it might be what caused our spell to go haywire and we need to find out where it came from. Wait, what’s that? It looks like another one.”

Even through her tunnel vision Tara could recognize another of the disturbances heading towards them. To Willow it looked smaller and like it was moving slower, though Tara couldn’t see this. The red-headed witch tried to get an idea where the wave was coming from and suddenly felt fear grip her.
“Willow what...” Tara exclaimed immediately feeling her lover’s fear, but was cut off as the wave washed over them. This time the sensations were fainter.

“I hope I’m wrong, but that came from the direction of the Hellmouth. I’m going to check it out.”

“B-be careful. There is so much activity.”

“You want me to try asking one of them what’s going on?”

“Giles said that would be dangerous. Let’s just, what is it, recon? If we don’t find anything then maybe.”

A third, and weaker, wave slowly passed over them, though the width was much narrower. Willow willed them towards the old high school. As they got closer to that area, both saw light that looked like a flickering bonfire emanating from a blackened pit that was easily thirty feet across. A veil of translucent silver and golden energy pulsated very slowly over the hole generating a weak wave with each upward pulse. Beneath the membrane-like energy they saw a roiling mass of flames and jet black creatures with grasping clawed hands and orange eyes pressing upwards. Fortunately, they seemed to be having no effect on the barrier. On the downside, there was no indication of what or who had caused the disturbance to the veil in the first place. Willow did not direct their vision closer.

“Well?” Tara prompted.

Willow gave a mental sigh of frustration. “I don’t see anything near the Hellmouth. No signs of a powerful demon, or at least loose ones that is.”

As she spoke a larger form appeared in the flames beneath them and turned red-orange eyes upwards. Both heard a deep, booming voice that faintly hissed surround them. “Kindred one, come to me. Lift thiss field that blocks uss. We sshall grant thou more of that which thou dost dessire.”

“I think we should leave now!” Tara exclaimed, though Willow paid her no mind. She repeated more urgently, “Willow, get us away from here! I don’t like that thing. Willow? Willow move us away, now!”

With a start Willow stopped the slow descent their presence was taking and willed them up and away towards safety. In a blink they regarded a sunlit glade with a small brook running through one side. The smell of fresh earth and flowers came vividly from all around them. Luminescent beings of green and brown, mostly humanoid, and all tiny, hovered and shot around the area. A sense of calm filled Willow, though there was a vague unsettling feeling within her almost like nausea.

Tara could barely see anything. A very dim silver line extended from her down a long and very narrow black tunnel to a tiny speck of green light. She felt a sense of distant calm, though momentary panic rose up in her. She was back in the darkness. No, she still felt Willow with her, though vaguely, and willed the fear back down. Something wasn’t right and she needed to think, Willow needed her, of that she was sure.

“Willow?” She yelled, but got no answer.

‘All right, think,’ she ordered herself. ‘I wanted her to move us away so she probably sent us really far. Distance is irrelevant in astral travel after all. She’s someplace that is disorienting and can’t feel her way back. That silver line must be her astral cord, or maybe both of ours. Maybe I just need to strengthen that and draw her back to me. Goddess, it’s worth a try, I can’t lose her.’

The witch concentrated on the cord and pictured Willow at the other end. She remembered the lay of Willow’s beautiful red hair, the angle of her chin and the shine of her wonderful green eyes. She thought of how much she loved that face, and the full wide smile that lit it up. She thought of how special Willow made her feel and projected all that into the silver line which suddenly seemed to glow brighter. Tara called softly for Willow, putting all the feelings of love and caring she could muster into the call. She pictured Willow returning too her, pulled back by the silver cord, the distance separating them suddenly gone.

In the sunlit glade Willow was surrounded by buzzing creatures that seemed to be getting angrier and more agitated by the second. She was finding it hard to think and felt like thrashing out at the annoying sprites. Then, she sensed Tara’s presence strongly beside her. The image of the blonde’s face smiling at her filled her mind. What began as a faint tugging in one direction turned into an urgent pull. She felt her lover’s embrace and a quivering energy swept into her. Willow willed herself towards Tara’s warmth and waiting arms.

Giles started as Willow collapsed sideways and Tara just barely managed to catch her.
“Are you both all right?” Giles asked moving closer to the pair, though being careful not to cross the circle, concern clear on his face.

Tara felt drained, but, despite greater exertion than the night before, not quite as much as last time. She held her girlfriend protectively, stroking the silky red hair and occasionally caressing her forehead. Willow’s eyes were no longer black, though the normal green still seemed darker. She also seemed dazed and somewhat exhausted as well.

“I t-think we’re fine,” Tara began. “Did you notice anything strange?”

“There was a faint smell of brimstone and an unusual red glow that emanated from you both. I was afraid that, er, that is I thought something had gone wrong. I was about to try and bring you out of the spell when Willow collapsed,” Giles explained. “Are you sure she’s not, um, injured in anyway?”

“Ooh, remind me that I hate bungee jumping,” Willow said shakily as her senses started to return. “Or anyway I would if I ever tried it in the real world. Can you get astral sick?”

“Don’t worry sweety, it’ll be all right. Just close your eyes and rest for a moment,” Tara said soothingly, kissing Willow’s head and continuing to stroke her forehead.

Giles took off his glasses and turned away to wipe them off. He said, “Yes, well, that is to say, perhaps you should tell me what happened. I would hazard to guess that this didn’t occur last night?”

Tara filled him in on what she saw, with Willow elaborating at points where she had a clearer view. Giles seemed to get more disturbed as they went along.

“You’re sure the creature, this large demon, did not get through the barrier?” The watcher asked when they finished.

“Pretty sure, as in not clawed up and all dead,” Willow responded, feeling better thanks to the fine care she was receiving.

“Just checking, no cause to be snippy,” Giles harumphed. “What you saw was undoubtedly the astral version of the Hellmouth. It sounds like someone, or, um, something, was trying to weaken the barrier or perhaps even let something out. I should consult my books to see which demon it was that accosted you, mentally that is, but for once I think that time is of the essence and we should forego the research.”

“Are you sure we’re really back?” Tara asked.

“Yeah, where’s Giles and what have you done with him?” Willow chimed in.

“Yes, quite amusing. Now that we’ve all had a laugh I think we should go to the Hellmouth as quickly as possible and make sure that no rituals are still being performed. Besides, we might find a clue as to what went on there. That is if you are up to it?”

“Why don’t you get the others ready and we’ll be done in a bit,” Tara suggested.

“And don’t forget about the mass of vampires in the graveyard. It looked like they were waiting for more to rise,” Willow added, not particularly happy with the idea of a small army of vampires loose in Sunnydale.

Giles agreed and left to gather the rest of the Scoobies. Meanwhile Tara inquired about Willow’s condition. Satisfied that she was recovering quickly, they rested for a moment longer before breaking the circle.

“Did, uh, did you notice anything about where we went when I tried to get us away?” Willow asked.

“No, not really. It must have been very far away because all I really saw was a black tube and a green dot at the end. Oh, and your astral cord, too. Why do you ask?”

“It just sort of freaked me out, that is if I could be any more freaked.”

“Well I’m sure it was a safe place where the demon couldn’t hurt you. I sort of pictured a shrine to the Goddess, was it anything like that? It seemed like you still felt in danger. Maybe even angry?”

“No, no, not really at all. It was just a safe sort of nature place. Very peaceful but I was still wiggin’ on the big demon.”

“It’s cool how I can feel some of what you feel when we travel like that. Though not as intensely as when we did the rose spell,” Tara blushed as the intimacy of the spell aroused more baser thoughts in her.

“Well I see someone who gets naughty thoughts when we do magic. Come on we can talk about this later, I want to get a few things from the weapon’s trunk before we leave. Just in case.”

They went downstairs and found that Giles already had everyone else armed and waiting to leave. While Willow quickly clattered around in the weapon’s trunk Tara put on her coat.

“Whatever you two did sure lit a fire under the tweed man here,” Xander said. “Even the walking wounded are being mobilized.”

Tara and Willow exchanged a look and a smirk while Giles protested, “I haven’t worn tweed in quite some time.”

“Well I for one am glad,” Anya stated. “A little sweaty action will make the sex afterwards much more enjoyable.”

No one bothered to reply as they left the house and headed for their old school. The trip didn’t seem to take nearly long enough, and before they knew it they were entering the blackened ruins. There was no sign of anyone else about, though each had a prickling sensation on the back of their necks like they were being watched.

“Wow, this place is so big,” Dawn exclaimed. “My school seems a lot smaller. It must be cool to be in high school. No, wait, forget I said that.”

“It’s a never-ending, hormone saturated, death filled, thrill ride,” Xander stated.

“I can’t believe you bunch of high school losers stopped Dru and me,” Spike said in an appalled tone. “It’s no wonder she left me.”

“Everyone quiet!” Giles almost yelled causing each to jump a bit. “What Willow and Tara saw may mean that someone is trying to open the Hellmouth. They may even have succeeded to some extent. There are no prophecies or omens about anything happening at this time so whoever it is must be incredibly powerful to affect it. They may be tampering with destiny and anyone that powerful will be extremely dangerous. Now pay attention!”

“There’s a lot of caffeine in tea isn’t there?” Xander muttered and got several dark looks.

Spike took the lead, an ax ready in his right hand. Giles followed with a loaded crossbow, the short sword sheathed at his side. Dawn walked to Tara’s right carrying a large flashlight, while Willow was on her left. The red-head carried a small black duffel bag over her shoulder, and a stake in her left hand. Xander and Anya brought up the rear, Anya carrying a baseball bat while Xander had a smaller crossbow that he rested on his cast. Tara also turned on a large flashlight.

The blonde looked about fearfully, thinking that anything that had Giles worried and acting short must be very dangerous. She also didn’t particularly like the look in Willow’s eyes, it reminded her of a predator, maybe one of the big jungle cats. Cold and hungry. Tara knew Willow’s ‘faces’ pretty well and she was wearing her ‘I’m enjoying this quite a bit’ look usually associated with research mode, while everyone else just appeared nervous and on edge. The combination made her especially uneasy. Something bad was going to happen, but she didn’t know what. She reached out and held Willow’s hand, and hoped to exchange a reassuring glance with her love, but Willow didn’t seem to notice.

The corridor that led to the library was stained, blackened and warped from water damage. Spike stopped about halfway there and bent down to look at the floor. There were obvious signs that someone had walked through the soot and dust recently.

“Whoever was here, they didn’t stay long. I doubt that they’re here now,” Spike announced.

Giles just nodded and they continued. The Hellmouth area was much as it had been almost a year ago when Tara and Willow had searched the school. There was still a massive part of the library floor missing that revealed a sunken area covered with yellowed book pages, several fallen beams, and rough rock walls. A path had been cleared towards the Hellmouth. The group gingerly climbed down the rocks leading into the area, careful to avoid brushing against any of the beams. The whole area still had an unstable look to it. They followed the cleared route a short ways to the crevice that contained the Hellmouth. A white chalk triangle surrounding a circle enclosed the great crack. In a fine flowing script the words ‘Anaphaxeton,’ ‘Tetragrammaton,’ and ‘Primeumaton’ were written along each side of the triangle with the letters ‘Mi,’ ‘cha,’ and ‘el’ in the vertices. Also along each side was a small circle with a strange curling device drawn in it.

“Hey no problem, the artist formerly known as Prince was here,” Xander commented.

“Oh dear lord,” a very pale Giles stated softly.

“What is it?” Willow asked.

“I certainly don’t recognize it,” Tara added.

“Well let me see,” Anya said moving forward past the others. “Oh, a Solomonic summoning triangle. And very well done too.”

“A what?” Xander asked.

“It’s for containing demons that a magician summons,” Giles answered. “It beggars the mind to think what sort of demon someone could call up here. It could also seriously weaken the Hellmouth as well.”

“Which one is easy,” Anya said smartly. “That seal there is the demon’s symbol, sort of like their business card. In this case I think its Paimon. He’s very high up in the hierarchy, and supposed to be very unpleasant.”

“P-Paimon. Isn’t he of the Order of Dominions? One of the great kings also in charge of enforcing obedience?” Giles inquired.

Anya nodded, “Uh-huh. Makes all the lessor demons toe the line. I heard he was into chains and whips and things like that. I never met him.”

Xander gave his girlfriend a sideways look, his eyes larger than normal.

“Fine, so how do we kill it?” Willow asked.

“Kill him? Weren’t you listening?” Anya said. “He’s a King of Hell, you don’t kill him. Even Buffy would have had trouble with him. He has no specific weaknesses and can trap your soul in unbreakable chains and drag you back down to Hell with him. If he’s in a good mood that is. Otherwise he just rips at your soul with his whip until it is shredded and destroyed. It’s supposed to be one of the most painful processes in creation.”

“How...how does he compare to Glory?” Dawn asked. “She was a Hellgod, right?”

Anya waved her hand dismissively, “Glory was weak because she was bound to a human. Besides, she was from a wuss dimension, this is, “The Hell.” Paimon would tear Glory to pieces in a second.”

“Oh,”

“Yes, and he might be loose in our dimension,” Giles said.

“Was he the large demon we saw on the astral?” Tara asked. “Because if he was than he’s still trapped, right? I mean, he was still on the other side of the Hellmouth. As in, not loose, right?”

“No, I don’t believe that creature you described fits his description,” Giles explained.

“If he’s free and such a badass, why aren’t we dead?” Xander said puzzled.

Spike, who had been looking around chimed in with, “There are no signs of anyone else having been in this area or left it. Just the one set of footprints in and out.”

“Maybe whoever it was didn’t have the time to finish the summoning?” Willow advanced.

“Or they didn’t perform the spell quite right and it failed?” Tara volunteered.

“That could explain why they left the triangle here and departed. They might have wanted to rest or recheck their ritual,” Giles said.

“Or they got what they wanted from Paimon and sent him back,” Anya added helpfully. “He is known to give tokens to those who have won his favor.”

“I don’t suppose we want to know how someone does that?” Xander said.

“Be quiet! I think I hear something,” Spike commanded and the others fell silent.

The vampire tilted his head for a moment, his vampiric visage coming over him while he did so.

“Right. We have company coming,” he warned. “Not sure how many but more than a couple.”

The group moved back towards the entrance with Xander and Giles moving to the sides to get a clear shot. Spike moved to the front of the group near the ledge from the original library and took a ready position while Dawn moved closer to Tara and Willow.

Four figures burst into view and jumped into the chamber with snarling vampiric faces. Giles and Xander both hit the first one with their bolts causing it to puff out of existence. The second landed right before Spike whose overhead blow split the creature’s skull and continued on bisecting the vampire. Blood poured onto the ground for a second before turning to dust along with the separated body.

The third was especially short and wiry and dodged around Spike. Deflected Anya’s wild bat swing into Xander who dropped his crossbow. The creature moved incredibly quick kicking Xander’s shin with great force that was rewarded with a horrible crack and a scream of pain. As he fell, the vampire spun towards Anya, again dodging her blow.

The fourth, a tall female vampire, went the other way charging into Giles and carrying him into the wall. Here also there was a thud and cracking sound, this time from Giles chest. The watcher was stunned and unable to react as the vampire’s fangs moved towards his exposed neck. The tall woman suddenly screamed and smoke rose from her reddened cheek where Dawn’s holy water coated her. The young girl continued to spray the creature causing it to howl and retreat from Giles right into Spike’s ax which neatly decapitated it.

While the fourth vampire fought with Anya, Willow grabbed Tara’s hand. Willow’s face pulled back into a feral grin as her eyes blackened and the small vampire shot into the air and hurtled into the ceiling with great force. Just as suddenly it crashed back into the ground with a wet thud that splattered blood on Xander and Anya.

“Hah, one vampire,” Willow muttered dismissively as her magic threw it against the rock wall on the opposite side of the room, head first. Its head shattered and the remains burst into dust.

Anya bent over Xander to try and help him, but the white bone sticking out from the reddened mass of his calf showed that his injury was serious.

“Great,” Xander barely managed to say from between clenched teeth. “Now...I have...a matched set.”

Spike helped Giles to his feet and the older human tottered briefly before hobbling towards Dawn.

“Thank you,” he said. “That was, um, quick thinking.”

Dawn just smiled while Spike moved closer to her looking around to make sure nothing else threatening was in the area.

“Can’t one of you witches do something for him?” Anya asked close to hysterics. “Now he’s really broken.”

“Um, I think at home we have some herbs that might help. But he really should be taken to the hospital,” Tara answered.

“Healing spells aren’t that effective,” Willow added distantly.

“Let me see,” Giles said walking over while clutching his side. He bent over and looked at the fracture. “This will have to be treated as soon as possible. Spike?”

“Yeah, all right. I can carry the gimp.”

“Joy.”

“In the future it would probably be smart if you carried some herbs with healing powers along with you. Perhaps some sort of satchel would be in order?” Giles said. “Anything that might help would still be of use.”

Tara nodded, and looked over at Willow. Her eyes were still black and she seemed to be looking into space.

After a brief time she said, “We better get going. I think more are on the way.”

“Are you OK?” Tara asked her girlfriend, a concerned look that was almost fearful on her face.

“Definitely. Just be ready to follow my lead and remember what we did with the petals. You can do that, right?” Willow asked somewhat coldly.

Tara nodded but didn’t look or feel very happy at the moment.

“Everyone follow us then,” Willow said and pulled Tara with her towards the exit. The rest of the group straggled along behind the pair.

Unnoticed to the rear, two large spectral canines padded silently along. Their yellow-green eyes blazed brightly enough to barely illuminate the area.

Willow strode confidently out of the school’s ruins with Tara in tow. The others followed along a bit more slowly. Giles had reloaded the crossbow, but was not walking that steadily, pain apparent on his face. Xander kept up a strained banter with Spike, trying to ignore the agony in his leg. Anya fluttered beside the two, near tears.

They made it down the sidewalk to the street when Willow stopped and called into the night, “You might as well step forward, I know you’re there.”

The rest of the scoobies looked about confused. Out of the darkness nearly a dozen vampires appeared in a half circle around them, though at least the nearest was a good fifty feet away. Willow unzipped the duffel bag and dumped a pile of stakes onto the ground.

“Thank you,” she said to the revealed vampires. Turning to Tara she whispered, “Just like the rose petals, only see the stakes striking them in the heart. Wait till they’re just a bit closer.”

“You’re nothing without the Slayer,” one of the vampires, probably the leader, taunted. Willow regarded the tall well dressed form and etched his image into her mind.

“So what are you waiting for then?” She countered.

Tara felt Willow’s hand chill within her own slick palm as the vampires rushed towards them. She did as Willow wished and concentrated on floating the stakes; seeing each head towards the on-rushing vampires. Before the attacking group was halfway to them, the stakes suddenly lifted off the ground and then shot towards the attackers, point first. The sound of many vampires turning to dust filled the air. Two managed to grasp the stakes before they struck, only to turn into astonished dust as other stakes circled round and rammed into their backs.

The leader, who had hung back, took a fearful step backwards as if to run. The stakes clattered to the ground and he lifted into the air. Willow took a step forward and said, “Who’s nothing now?”

She raised her hands and made a twisting motion. The vampire’s head rotated and tore off in a howl. Dust rained down on the now silent street.

Tara gasped and pulled her hand from Willow’s. “G-goddess Will, what did you do?”

“Hey, it wasn’t just me, you helped too,” Willow said a slight sneer on her face.

“T-t-the stakes, y-yes, b-b-but not that,” Tara stammered.

“Settle up later, ladies. Gimpy here is losing blood and the smell will probably draw more. Let’s get to the hospital already,” Spike said and started off down the street.

“Yes, deal with the wounded first. We’ll discuss this later,” seconded Giles following the blonde vampire.

Willow concentrated for a moment and the stakes flew back to her and clattered back into the bag. She looked around to make sure she hadn’t missed any vampires, but sensed no others in the area. As she was about to follow the others she caught site of four glowing eyes in the darkened school entrance. She half-smiled as the eyes flared once and then disappeared. She turned and ran to catch up with the others.

The trip to the hospital was quiet and uneventful. Each was lost in their own thoughts. Tara kept a short distance between herself and Willow, and several times snuck quick glances at her lover. The witch was very worried and anxious over what she had felt and witnessed. OK, so the idea with the stakes was pretty cool and, after the experiment with the rose, not even all that hard to accomplish. On the other hand, Willow had been the main directing force behind that, and she had felt something strange as they had manipulated the stakes. Some sort of yearning, a cold gaping whirlpool that threatened to draw her into darkness. And anger, there had been a great deal of anger as well.

‘Oh Willow, what have you gotten involved with?’ She thought. ‘I didn’t know you had gone this far.’ Tears threatened to rise up from within as she thought about losing the incredible red-headed witch that walked in front of her into the hospital. Unsure what she should do or how she could draw her love back from the brink of damnation, she said a short prayer to the Goddess to watch over Willow and grant her the wisdom to figure out how to fix the situation.

The doctors in the ER took Xander in for treatment while Giles’ lesser injuries meant he had to wait. They had all spent too much time in the waiting room, and both the familiarity of the place and the anaseptic smell further depressed their spirits, except for Willow who paced back and forth like a caged animal.

Willow knew the group was somewhat freaked over the death of the head vampire, but he had really pissed her off. Bringing up Buffy and taunting them with her absence. Like it was their fault that she had died, which of course it wasn’t. If only she had been more alert, widened her senses maybe she would have noticed the four vampires charging into the room with the Hellmouth. If she had been just a little bit more prepared Xander and Giles might not have gotten hurt. But the vampires had been on them so fast. There hadn’t been time to think clearly or react fast enough. And the damn things had spread out and gotten amongst the scoobies where she couldn’t see them clearly and didn’t have a clear shot at casting a spell and affecting the right target. The head vampire was lucky she had dusted him that quickly. She should have just held him immobile and forced any information he had out of him. Then maybe next time they would be ready, she would be prepared.

‘Idiot, stupid child!’ She cursed herself. ‘I can’t let my guard down for a moment. I have to anticipate exactly what it is they’re going to do, when they’re going to attack. And now there is some big unknown sorcerer who can summon powerful demons and we are going to have an even harder time fighting him with Xander and Giles hurt. I have to be able to do something more or someone else might get killed. Maybe even Tara.’

Tara sat across the room next to Dawn trying to console her and distract her from where she was. She knew the teenager did not have fond memories of this place. She looked up and noticed that Willow had stopped pacing and was looking at her strangely. Her head was sort of cocked to the side and her eyes were wonderfully clear and green. Were those tears starting to form?

Tara got up, went over and reached out for Willow’s arm, tentatively brushing her soft skin and looking at her questioningly. Willow faced her fully and then suddenly threw her arms around the startled blonde. Though she still felt some of the chilling darkness hovering around Willow, she also felt the reassuring comfort that her lover’s presence usually brought and the warmth of her embrace.

“W-Willow, what is it? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Nothing’s wrong. I just got scared thinking that you could have been hurt, and it would...would,” Willow shook her head and held Tara tighter. “Later, we’ll talk about this later, just don’t leave me.”

“You know I would never do that. I’m always here for you no matter what,” Tara said, adding in her mind, ‘even if I have to fight every dark spirit that exists to keep you.’

One of the doctors came at that point and told them in the usual clinical sympathetic manner that Xander would be fine. He had lost a fair amount of blood, the leg had to be set and immobilized and he would need to be on crutches for some time, but overall he would recover. Anya wanted to stay with him, but the doctor said that it would be better if they kept him overnight and released him the following morning. She would have to go home, but could visit for a short time.

It turned out that Giles’ hadn’t broken any ribs, just cracked several. They would have to be taped and he wouldn’t be able to exert himself anytime soon, but at least it wasn’t too serious. While he was being helped the rest of the group went and saw Xander. He was lying in one of the narrow hospital beds, his leg raised and already in a cast. An IV hung nearby. Anya immediately rushed to his side and kissed him and held his hand. The rest of the gang said their well wishes and Tara noticed that Willow seemed especially upset. After a short bit of banter and awkward silences, a nurse came and showed them out.

They walked back to the house, and oddly it was Dawn who voiced what they all were thinking.

“So were the vampires the ones summoning that demon Pay guy? Can they even do stuff like that?”

“Supposedly anyone with the right ritual can summon a demon,” Anya explained. “I don’t know exactly who let that bit out, but it can be really annoying. There you are trying to shrivel someone’s testicles when suddenly you get yanked out without finishing the job and now some magician wants you to invoke vengeance for him. It’s a total pain! Or, was anyway.”

“Why would vampires summon demons though?” Dawn asked still confused.

“They don’t. We like to stay with our own, if you know what I mean,” Spike stated.

“Angelus summoned the Judge to try and end the world,” Giles commented. “It has been known to happen at various times, especially when a vampire who was unusually intelligent or who practiced the Art prior to crossing over continues. Even for humans it is, um, quite dangerous. For vampires it can be more so since they are severely limited in their sacrifices.”

“That’s because they have no soul offer. It also makes it hard for them to call on spirit world powers, they’re already possessed and less open to influence by darker forces. And of course you can’t use the names of power to cajole demons when they hurt you as much as the one you’ve summoned,” Anya said.

“That’s, that’s exactly right,” Giles remarked, somewhat surprised. “I didn’t know you knew so much about this.”

“Oh, well you pick up things when you hang out with... When you’ve been around for a while.” Anya returned.

“So how does that help us?” Dawn wanted to know.

“It means it probably wasn’t a vampire who summoned such a powerful demon. It means we have another enemy in town, one with a great deal of power and who we know nothing about,” an unusually subdued Willow said.

“Hey no problem. We have Willow and Tara the super witches. After what you did tonight you’ll kick this new magician’s butt!” Dawn said proudly.

“I don’t think it will be quite that easy,” Giles said.

“N-no. We need to come up with a better plan. I d-d-don’t think Willow and I can stop a dark magician that easily,” Tara said.

The group debated whether the presence of so many vampires working together indicated the existence of a vampire council or not, with no real conclusions being drawn. They had seen large groups operating together before. Dawn even suggested that a bunch of vampires might hire a human sorcerer, and no-one liked the sound of that. They settled on the need for more research and to be especially wary at The Magic Box tomorrow. Maybe the magician would need more supplies and tip his, her, or its hand.

When they got back it was late and everyone was pretty tired. Spike and Dawn retired downstairs.

“Willow, would you check the wards over the house, just to make sure we aren’t attacked here?” Giles asked. “Tara if you could help me double check on the pentacles I would appreciate it.”

Willow nodded and went upstairs to start with the top floor. Tara followed the wounded watcher into his study. He closed the door behind her and they stared at each other for a moment in silence. The moment stretched out as Giles fiddled with his glasses and rearranged an errant stack of books. Tara just looked down and her hair covered her face.

Finally Giles quietly said, “How far gone is she?”

Tara shook her head, “I-I don’t know. She’s not acting normal, or at least normal for her. I mean she never showed such anger and aggressiveness before.”

“No. Even when D’Hoffryn offered her the chance to take Anyanka’s place, her actions were more that of a temper tantrum rather than those of pure malice.”

“But there is definitely a dark energy running through her. I don’t think it’s her own, but I’m not sure.” Anguish crossed her face and she clasped her hands tightly together. “What are we going to do? I can’t lose her...”

Giles settled gingerly into the chair behind the desk piled with books and thought for a moment. “Let us try and consider the situation objectively. She is manifesting a great deal more power than she should. She has been acting aggressively, and exhibiting a great amount of anger. Her spellcraft has also turned more towards hostile, combative effects. Has she actually done anything that would be classified as truly dark magic?”

“I don’t think so. I haven’t heard her invoke any demon’s names or call on specific dark powers.”

“But, she has to have gotten the power from somewhere. I trust you would know if she offered part of her soul to anyone?”

Tara nodded and said, “I would know, and she hasn’t.” The yet hung unspoken between them.

“No I wouldn’t imagine that she would. Witchcraft really doesn’t call upon demons and that sort of sacrifice. You draw more on various natural spirits for aid in spells. It is more likely that she called on one of the darker forces to make Glory suffer. That means she is probably either being influenced subconsciously, or being offered something she desires in order that she calls on the spirit more frequently. That can lead to her becoming dependent on it or dedicated to it.”

“It could also be a combination of both, couldn’t it?”

“Yes,”

At that moment the door opened and Willow walked in. She went over to the windows and looked at the bag of herbs and other materials they had hung over it. She chanted briefly.

Giles cleared his throat and said, “Er, at least we know that Anya was right.”

Willow turned back to the pair. “The wards all seem to be intact. We should be safe, hopefully.”

“Excellent. Well, let me see if I can find out anything that may help us. You two are probably exhausted from so much spellcasting. I will let you know tomorrow if I found anything. I daresay I’ll probably need your aid as well.”

Tara did feel tired, but not as much as she expected. In any case they both nodded and left Giles with his precious books and retreated back to their room. Tara noticed that like the previous night, Willow was keyed up and walked back and forth in their room as if confined. She checked the contents of several of the herb jars and flipped through a few of the spellbooks.

Tara sat on their bed and watched Willow, a pastime she normally enjoyed. Tonight however, she was just apprehensive. Obviously something was wrong, but she wasn’t sure how to broach the subject, or that it would even do any good. Her family experiences reminded her that sometimes those who loved you could be the ones you should fear the most. They always knew how to hurt you in the worst ways. Willow’s hand on her shoulder caused her to start and look up momentarily scared.

“What’s the matter baby?” Willow asked. “You look worried.”

“I am. What you did tonight...”

“Was pretty awesome wasn’t it?” Willow interrupted. “Vamps dusting everywhere, no-one getting hurt. Or, at least no-one got hurt more. I should have been more careful at the Hellmouth. The vampires just moved so fast, and I couldn’t see them clearly and if I slowed them down that would have helped, but I didn’t think of that then, but next time I will, and then no-one will get hurt for sure.”

Normally Tara sort of enjoyed when Willow babbled on, it was cute and endearing. This time all she heard was Willow’s excitement over the night’s combat. She stood up and faced the red-head.

“No, Will what you did tonight is dangerous. Using magic to attack anyone is always dangerous.”

“Yeah, yeah, threefold law. Look, I still don’t buy that and we would have been in big trouble if I hadn’t staked all those vamps.” Willow put her hands on her hips and said, “They did have us outnumbered and nearly surrounded, if you were paying attention.”

“I’m not disagreeing with that. We are fighting evil and sometimes we’ve got no choice but to destroy demons and other creatures. But you have to be careful. Even if you don’t believe in the Wiccan Rede or its tenents, you open yourself up when you attack things with magic.”

“Pfiff,” She made a dismissive wave of her hand and moved to the center of the room to pace back and forth. “I’m careful and my will is strong.”

“That isn’t the point,” Tara said forcefully, rising to her feet. “When you attack someone with magic you draw the energy through yourself before releasing it at the target. The magical energy can rebound on you and since it has already been a part of you it hits you even harder. I know you don’t want anyone to get hurt and neither do I.” Tara moved closer to the other girl and put her hand out on Willow’s arm. “I couldn’t stand it if something bad happened to you. I love you and I’m here to help you. You don't have to do this by yourself, OK? Just think about what you’re doing.”

Willow threw her arms around Tara and kissed her deeply. “Oh baby, what would I do without you? I promise I’ll be more careful. You’ll see.”

And suddenly Willow’s lips were all over Tara’s face. Hot, passionate kisses swept over her, moistening her face and raising a burning within her. Willow lifted her larger partner off the floor in a burst of strength and almost threw her onto their bed. The petite redhead followed, her hands moving both frenziedly and lovingly over Tara. As the two witches lost themselves in the touch and taste of each other, the two spectral hounds partially visible in the corner growled deeply in frustration; they had been so close. The canines turned and disappeared through the wall leaving no trace behind.

END PART 2 TBC…

[This message has been edited by Garner (edited March 12, 2002).]