The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thread Subject: Revisiting Hush
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 1:42 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 15:42 EST (US)
We are going to have a Taraless holiday season. We won't see her till mid January at least. I want it us to have something to pass the time. Since we didn't weren't really together for some of the early eps (even on willtara), I thought we could revisit the episodes. So, during weeks of reruns or no Tara I thought we could do one of the eps. So we start with Hush. It's the first ep. Let's talk about things you liked, things you loved, things you didn't love and things you still don't understand,things from the shooting script you wish had been left in, anything at all. Also, I thought we could post favorite pictures.
So to start things off, I am going for first contact

------------------
Tara: And see those stars along there? That's the bottom of the pineapple.
Willow: It's big
Tara: Hence the name

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 1:47 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 15:47 EST (US)
great idea!
my favorite part of hush was the way they shot willow and tara bringing their hands together before they moved the coke machine. very sensual.
and how tara looks at willow, to get the two of the in sync...
okay i liked that whole scene....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 1:54 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 15:54 EST (US)
morning, birthday girl... (or, uh, afternoon...i still can't believe i was chatting until FIVE AM with you crazy people last night...but naughty is so fun...)

i love your sig. that's my favorite exchange from the rooftop scene.

but on to hush...i *adore* this entire episode, and having it be tara's first only makes it all the better.

willow's comments to buffy about the wannablessedbes at the wicca group were great... "blah blah blah gaia, blah blah blah moon... it's like every girl with a henna tattoo and a spice rack thinks she's a sister to the dark ones." i laughed so hard when i heard that!

and tara running around campus looking for willow...watching that ep in retrospect, i think it's so cute...i think tara had a little crush on her from the first time she saw her at the wicca group...

but the best part was when they interlaced their fingers, looked into each other's eyes, simultaneously whipped their heads around and sent that soda machine flying! even though i knew it was going to happen before i saw it, i couldn't help exclaiming "awesome"!

our wiccas just started kicking ass right away...

i was sad that they had to cut a few lines from their exchange at the end. but it was still way cute. in my opinion, they started flirting a bit even at that point.

oh how i loved this ep. truly a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 2:30 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 16:30 EST (US)
I must admit, the first time "Hush" was on I missed it. By the time it re-aired I'd already sussed there was *something* going on between Tara and Willow.

But finally seeing that ep was magnificent! Quite apart from the whole start of W/T, all else was as good as the best the show has ever been. The Gentlemen were simply the most horrific of monsters. Giles' briefing was hilarious. Anya and Xander's fight (and its end) was wonderful (imo they are the second-best couple on BTVS). While the very, very end moment turned out to be a mighty powerful bit of foreshadowing.

And of course I simply have to mention one of the best possible moments of all--namely, the look on Willow's face *after* moving the soda machine. She looked at Tara, her eyes huge, exhilirated in a way completely undreamt-of till now.

(Of course we don't know what was said afterwards--once they had their voices back...)

------------------
"O let my name be
in the Book of Love.
If it be there,
I care not of
That other book Above...
Strike it out!
Or write it in anew.
But let it be
in the Book of Love!"
--Omar Kyam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 3:11 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 17:11 EST (US)
Ah Hush is my favourite episode. I know I have seen the gentlemen in my dreams before.
From the moment I saw Tara (those eyes) I was captivated. I didn't expect her to become a recurring character. I was happy to find her in another episode and the rest is history.

Back to hush. 2 favourite scenes the hand holding/moving the machine, and the lounge scene. Lots-a flirtin' going on in that scene. I can't go into great detail (I do have to work today) but I'm sure you all know why I loved these scenes.

Zahir I have to agree the Giles lecture scene was hilarious.

Grossest scene: heads exploding...yuck

April: yes, naughty chats are the most fun. I know I had a good time.

------------------
Paula
--------
Amber FanGirl #1a
May the Amber Force be with you.

[This message has been edited by Kiwiccan (edited December 03, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:18 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 19:18 EST (US)
LOL @ xita. So that's the bottom of the pineapple, eh? But I agree with what everyone has said so far, Hush is just one perfect episode and I'm glad it got recognized by the Emmy nomination. My favorite scene was the soda machine moving one. And I agree the look on Willow's face as she stared at their stil joined hands was simply amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 6:45 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 20:45 EST (US)
My favorite things in the episode:

When Buffy first wakes up and she doesn't know she can't talk and we do. The whole mood of the scene is amazing.

How Willow looks at Tara in the wicca group meeting

When Tara is knocking on the doors and we excpect Willow to open and then a Getelman does with a Heart. That was scary. I didn't see that coming.

Willow and Tara's last scene. "no, you ARE"

Favorite Picture:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 6:52 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 20:52 EST (US)
yes, yes, the look willow gives tara after the hefting of the soda machine is really nice and all, but there's something even BETTER going on with Willow during those first few electric moments.

Heaving chest.

'Nuff said.

Cylinda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 6:57 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 20:57 EST (US)
as we were discussing in chat last night, look at the lips on that amber...

mmm...no wonder willow couldn't look away...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 7:09 pm 

posted 12-03-2000 21:09 EST (US)
Many of the best W/T scenes have already been mentioned, so I'll say that I loved the symmetry of the (couple/soon-to-be couple) relationships overall in Hush -- Buffy and Riley sharing a first passionate kiss, Anya getting to see how much Xander cared, Giles and Olivia getting to know each other ... more, and of course, Willow and Tara meeting for the first time and doing some serious bonding! And just generally, how the fact that people couldn't speak meant that they were much more physically demonstrative -- Giles hugging Willow, B and W holding hands to keep contact etc,.

OK, well, to pick a favorite W/T scene -- when I saw its first rerun (i.e. its second screening), the hand-locking and subsequent eye-locking really stood out, but in retrospect, several other scenes are just as lovely, if more understated, like Willow's looks to Tara at the first Wicca meeting scene; Tara holding Willow around the waist as they flee the Gentlemen; Tara's "No, you *are*" at the end and Willow's face lighting up ... Just a fantastic episode all round.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 11:09 pm 

posted 12-04-2000 01:09 EST (US)
i loved the way they looked at each other talking about the "incident" the next day. these two were destined for snugglies from the beginning.

Pics at http://www.theslayer.net/
http://www.theslayer.net/caps/BtVS/seas ... 10/253.jpg

http://www.theslayer.net/caps/BtVS/seas ... 10/254.jpg

[This message has been edited by xita (edited December 04, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 11:23 pm 

posted 12-04-2000 01:23 EST (US)
oh my god, what yummy photos...
oooh, amber...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 1:10 am 

posted 12-04-2000 03:10 EST (US)
Wonderful things you guys have said. Yes the look on Willow after they move the machine. The cute little flirting at the end.
And yeah, knowing what I know now about Tara. We can totally juge her actions now. She was just a scared girl in a wicca meeting. Yet she was way intrigued by Willow. Intrigued enough to go fight the unknown for Willow. That took guts, she must have fallen in love at first sight. I still maintain that. Willow must have been intrigued too. She obviously noticed Tara at the meeting. Yet when she talks to Buffy, she acts like no one in there wanted to do magic. And nothign naughty went on with the gentlemen (I assume) but it was very important. Yet Willow does not share this with Buffy. Why/??? I think she was attracted to Tara the second they touch hands.
Rane, nice fic. I kinda like that idea, but I doubt they had talked before, though Tara sure seems to know all about Willow doesn't she? (stalker? jk).

Also, very nice pictures Michelle. Yummy Tara and Willow, so cute and ready for each other. Destined those two were. We all knew it.

Ty, I swear any reference to the big pineapple as something in that picture was purely accidental. I did not mean to imply anything lol

[This message has been edited by xita (edited December 04, 2000).]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 1:10 am 

posted 12-04-2000 03:10 EST (US)
hush was definetly one of my fav episodes of last season..it scared the poop out of me!! but other then that, the will/tara stuff was excellent too!!! buti have to admit i had to watch it again after seeing NMR. yes i am the most totally clueless person on earth when it comes to reading between the lines!!
but the second, third, fourth fifth... time round i have to say i totally got shivers when the two of them held hands, then when they gripped a little tighter....OOOWWWEEE!! that was special..
btw, that very first piccy by xita, tara's botty!!! teehee!!! yeah i know i'm petty..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 1:23 am 

posted 12-04-2000 03:23 EST (US)
I swear I wasn't thinking about Tara's booty. Swear, I know no one believes me, but for once, I wasn't thinking about that.

And the gentlemen were very creepy and scary, my favorite monters next to Der kindestod.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 3:39 am 

posted 12-04-2000 05:39 EST (US)
You rock, Rane, as always! Thanx so much for posting that fic.

Maybe i'm subtext hyper-sensitive, but i had butterflies in my tummy watching "Hush", wishing and hoping that Joss was finally delivering on what he promised in "Doppelganger" (Angel's comment off Willow's "Plus I think I'm kinda gay.") I may not have the quote exactly, i didn't go back and look, yet.

Also, for some reason i have the impression that Tara had noticed Willow before the Wicca Group meeting in "Hush." Maybe she said "meetings" or something at some point. It is a weekly meeting, right, and didn't Willow mention them to Buffy in an earlier episode? Now i have to watch the whole season again to figure this out.

Anyway, i haven't quite got every bit of W/T dialog memorized (yet), and no, i'm not quite that obsessive- i'm just good at remembering stuff like that. (As opposed to remembering important stuff like people's names or what day of the week it is or what did i do yesterday? It's all a haze now, though i'm sure i was thinking about u know who.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 3:57 am 

posted 12-04-2000 05:57 EST (US)
I agree with you Fell that Willow had mentioned attending wiccan meetings before Hush. I think she said this while she was still with Oz.
Hush was my favourite ep so far..I was in hysterics during Giles' briefing.
I think that Willow and Tara fancied each other right from the start. Tara at the wiccan meeting and Willow during the soda machine bit. Was it just my imagination or did Willows lips start to curl into a little smile just as that scene finished. And they were so flirting in the next scene.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 7:11 am 

posted 12-04-2000 09:11 EST (US)
Thanks, Xita, for an interesting topic. Btw, I believe you about the pineapple thingy...

Everyone here has made such cogent observations. I think "Hush" is the perfect example of a Buffy episode. The ensemble of actors all shone. I agree with all you good folks, Aly and Amber are great together in the laundry room and again at the end. The Gentlemen were scary, especially when one passed right in front of a window - still makes me jump. The writing? Can we all say "Joss Whedon was robbed at the Emmy's?"

Indeed, I've often pulled out my vid of this ep for people who don't usually watch BtVS...it stands on its own so well. It has a "cinematic" feel, more like a short horror movie than a t.v. episode.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:48 am 

posted 12-04-2000 12:48 EST (US)
For us, this episode will always be thought of, of course, as the episode which started it all for Willow and Tara.

Before I get to that, however, I would like to take a moment...to nominate the Gentlemen for the BEST villains ever on BTVS award.

Vampires (The Master and Angelus being tops) and demons (the Mayor) are well and good, but for my money the Gentlemen were the first (and pretty much the only) REALLY creepy bad guys the show has ever had.

Those frozen steel grins, the way they moved without walking, and the dead silence which followed them around...incredible. The idea of being in trouble and trying to scream but making no sound is sort of a primal fear. It makes HUSH one of the most distinguishable of ALL the episodes, period.

In fact, I'd say the only part of Hush I did NOT like (even Riley was marginally tolerable since he didn't talk for most of it) were the Gentlemen's footsoldiers. The goofy guys in the straight jackets almost ruined the mood for me.

Overall, however, my favorite part of the ep came when Willow and Tara joined forces for the first time.

And I am of the group which believes Tara had something of a crush on Willow since the Wicca group. If nothing else, the conversation at the end of the episde seems to indicate that if she did not have a crush on Willow before, she did by then.

------------------
Kirk B

"Even when I'm at my worst, you always make me feel special. How do you do that?"

"Magic."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:49 am 

posted 12-04-2000 12:49 EST (US)
first of all... Xita... was it your birthday recently? cause if it was i had no idea when i wished you a happy early birthday and wrote the fic for you. gosh, i should be the fortune teller in the magic shop! i'm really honing down my gift.

secondly, i feel left out that you all chat the night away! boo hoo for me cause my comp sucks and by the time you all are finished chatting my first line would probably be posted. but when i get a new comp the first thing i will do is sign up. (and yes those lips are so suckalicious)

now to *hush*- my favorite shot is of amber's wonky smile as she realizes that all the blessed wanna bes are looking at her and she shyly shakes her head. i, for some reason, always thought that Willow and Tara had some sort of talk, or something, before the ep and that is why she came out of her shell to stand up for Willow. i wrote a little pre hush scene, set during wild at heart, where Tara and Willow ran into each other at the magic shop. they recognized each other from the wicca group. But, that scene in the shooting script is really funny and good. and i love how joss described tara's room as *wicca-y and depressed-y* i still laugh.

umm, i'm going to post my little fic cause i want to... happy belated birthday, xita!

Willow comes into the magic shop. Tara sees her come in and shyly smiles.

Willow- (to Tara who is behind the counter) Hi.
Tara- (exited) Hi. (shyly smiles) Umm, hello.
Willow- (smiles back) I'm looking for the Nacir powder. It used to be over there (points to a table) but not any more.
Tara- Oh, yes. Umm, it's been moved. Over here. I think. (turns around and opens a cabinet)
Willow- Cool.
Tara- (turns back to her) Umm, how much do you n-need?
Willow- Three bags.
Tara- T-three? It's, uh, a very powerful powder.
Willow- I know.
Tara- Mr. Bogarty… The shopkeeper… He, umm… He can't s-sell more - than one bag.
Willow- But it's really important. (smiles at her)Please?
Tara- (smiles shyly) Oh. Ok. B-but don't tell him.
Willow- (beames) It'll be our little secret.
Tara- (turns around to the cabinet) Why… Why do you need so much?
Willow- Hey, aren't you in the Wicca group? On campus?
Tara- (turns around with the three little bags, blushing) Y-yes.
Willow- I'm Willow.
Tara- T-Tara. Hi?
Willow- Hi.
Tara- (places the powder on the counter) Hi. (looks under the counter for a bag)
Willow- Do you work here? I've never seen you before. Here. I've seen you before, but not here.
Tara- N-no. Mr. B, he umm, he stepped out for a moment.
Willow- Well, then aren't I lucky he did?
Tara- I guess. Uh… Do you- do you know the price? For a bag?
Willow- (laughs) No.
Tara- Umm, then let me just, umm… (looking under the counter for a price list)
Willow- Tara?
Tara- (looks up) Yes?
Willow- I need to hurry. I mean… I really need to go. How about you just put it on my account? Willow Rosenberg. With an *e* not *u*.
Tara- What?
Willow- My last name.
Tara- Oh, ok?
Willow- Great. Thanks so much. (turns around and starts to walk away)
Tara- (out to her) B-be careful.
Willow- (turns around and smiles) I will. See you later.

Cut to Willow. She' got her wicca stuff out and is casting a spell. Beakers and vials are out, some boiling.

Willow : I conjure thee by barabbas, by satanas, and the devil. As thou art burning, let Oz and Veruca's deceitful hearts be broken. This way. I conjure thee by the saracen queen And the name of hell. Let them
find no love or solace. Let them find no peace as well.

She has a picture of him and is holding it near the flame.

Willow: Let this image seal his fate, not to love, only hate.

Willow can't bring herself to finish the spell. She drops the picture and a levitating beaker along drops and the burning and boiling containers cease activity.

fin

hope you liked it.

ps- ummm. Giles' scene is a classic. pretty much the whole ep is a classic. and the hand squeezing is the most sensual thing on buffy in a long while. well, cause we are looking so much into it.

------------------
*a few thoughts on the subject by a lil' nothing*, Rasputina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 12:13 pm 

posted 12-04-2000 14:13 EST (US)
well, i thoroughly enjoyed all of HUSH that i saw. alas, cable went out during the first 15 minutes or so, so i've NEVER SEEN the very first willow/tara moments... boo hoo for me..

so, here's my cheesie plug - if anyone has come across a video clip on the web of that section of hush, i'd love to finally see it!

meanwhile, the episode itself is one of my favorites! The gentlemen were great! my fav. badguys todate!