The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First Touch
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:36 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Hey there! Glad to see another update.

This was a nice morning after visit for the girls, and I'm glad Willow got to tell Tara her whole ghostly tale. Now I'm hoping that between the two of them, they can find Ethan Rayne and de-ghost Willow eventually.

Can't wait for the next update to see what happens.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:07 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

nice advance on the story.

It is really amazing how much difference Ehtan's spell has made to the buffyworld. Fixing it would be all good you'd think, but what happens to Faith when Buffy takes over again? Does everyone retain their memories of the time they were under the spell, or does time wind back? And if that happens, what happens with Willow and Tara? It's hard to see a way to a happy ending here.

Looking forward to more.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:35 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I love the idea of exploring the possibility of what would have happened had the spell not been broken by Giles when smashing the head of Janus. This fic is well written and I am enjoying how you are building the various characters.

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:38 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey everybody! I'm currently working on the next chapter, but right now, time for feedback:

dlline- Hi there. Thanks for the compliments. There's totally a bunch of fun stuff I can do with this story and I have a lot of awesome ideas to dish out, so keep reading!

Sadie- I'm glad you found my story. And about Willow turning back into her usual self and touching of the naughty variety, you'll just have to keep reading to find out!

wimpy- I felt the morning after chapter should have been mellow, but the story will surely pick up again within the next few chapters.

spells42-
Cool, I wrote a story with doom on the horizon! I do have an ending in mind, but it will definitely be a struggle for each character.

littleBit- Thanks. I have a lot of characters in this story. It's kinda hard to keep track of them all, but I really want to develop the main ones like B/X/G/F. Oh yeah, and let's not forget about Willow and Tara.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:19 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

-rushes in very late, out of breath and reads very fast- Whew, sorry I'm late, out of town for a few days, missed update, but I'm back now and a good girl and it was wonderful. I really liked it. Now I have to go again. -rushes off to fix car-

writerfreak :flower

Soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:44 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Hi there. I'm sorry that I'm so late to the feedback party. I'm way behind on everything. I love this update. It feels like this is the first of the real Willow crushing on Tara part and I can't tell if she knows what that is. But it's so very cute.

The scene in the kitchen with the advil is quite adorable and I'm a sucker for the "long story... not so long..." thing. I love this story and I'm sorry to leave such short feedback.

Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:25 pm 
3. Flaming O

This is so adorable. You've got me hooked. :sigh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:22 pm 
9. Gay Now

Alrighty, as I said in my previous feedback to WillWolf, please forgive the lateness of this. Genetics will be over tomorrow, in which case I'll finally be able to get back to actually posting feedback on time. How's that for weird... Anyways, great couple of chapters I've missed. I believe I mentioned before that I'm intrigued by this type of canon, and still am. Really lends to some interesting directions that this story could go in.

So Alex is the TA for Tara's math class, huh? Funny, since he wasn't all with the math smarts in school, but I guess becoming a soldier might lend you some algebra skills. I just hope that Tara can help Willow out with her ghost of a problem (Get it? Ghost? Hehe, shut up Sara). I'm sure those two can whip up some kind of a spell, or just kick Ethan's ass. Once again, great story. Eagerly awaiting an update.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:14 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey, remember this? I do. I know it might seem like I've forgotten and left it for dead, but it's still kickin'! Me. In the back of the head. So I finally got to it and fixed up a chapter for you all.

Okay, onto really delayed feedback!
writerfreak, -Always-, tazraven - Thanks!

JustSkipIt - Willow so doesn't know she's gay and I find it funny and yet very understandable. "Kiss rocks? Why would anyone want to-" I love that innocence about how her mind works, and I'm glad it's being picked up on even if I'm keeping it kinda subtle.

Super-fast RECAP- Willow and Tara had just parted from their morning after the Gentlemen adventure. Willow and Faith have found out Tara is a demon. Maybe.

Title: First Touch
Author: theblew
Email: the_blew@yahoo.com
Ratings: Will fluctuate. There will be violence of the killing vampires/demons nature, adult language, and perhaps some steaminess if you're good. So be prepared for a default of the fic being rated R. I'll warn you when it's NC-17.
Pairing: W/T
Distribution: It's all yours. Just tell me where it's goin'.
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Joss Whedon.
Spoilers: Up through season 4.
Summary: The aftermath and what would happen if the episode 'Halloween' ended a little differently.
Angst: Yes. You know you love it.

Note: Thoughts in italics.

First Touch
Chapter Nine: About Time

“Hey, isn’t it time for tea-time?” Faith was lounging casually on Giles’ couch that Saturday afternoon. “Or is it different on weekends, like with the post office?” After carelessly flipping a crumbling page of an old book with detailed etchings, Giles walked up to where she lay and not so kindly grabbed the tome out of her hands.

“Faith, just because I’m English doesn’t mean I fit into every British stereotype.” He set the book gently on the coffee table, reached for the morning’s paper and splashed it on the Slayer’s lap, “And, yes, it is ‘tea-time.’” He turned for the kitchen to satiate his new craving.

Shortly after Tara had left Willow and Faith's apartment, the duo carried on with their day by updating Giles of the previous night's excursions. Relentless questions went unanswered about Willow's so called 'teleportation' because, simply put, the ghost was extremely focused on telling Giles more about Tara than herself. He gave up, but not with one last question, 'What were you thinking about when it happened?' to which Willow simply replied, 'I don't remember. It all happened so fast.'

A cool shadow repeatedly played across Faith’s body as Willow paced in Buffy's short skirt and looked out the windows. “It’s getting late. She’s late. Why’s she so late?” When first approached about the subject of demon detection, Giles had to do a little research on how to figure it out. He resolved that one of the most reliable ways to determine if the girl was in fact a demon, was with a simple spell. After Willow's spastic phone-call to Tara coupled with a few perplexed glances from Giles to Faith, they all agreed to meet later in the day at Giles' house to do the spell. But now that it was a little later than when Tara was expected to arrive, Willow was worrying, “Maybe she doesn’t feel well, or maybe she’s at the hospital because of her injuries! I knew-”

“She said she’d be here around four, and that big ugly clock over there says it’s only 4:03.”

Giles shouted from the kitchen, “It’s antique!”

The brunette ignored him, “Anyway, that leaves ten or so minutes to still be considered ‘around four.’ So chill. You’re making me nauseous.” Faith leaned back into the soft cushions and added for Giles’ benefit, “And it must’ve been ugly back then, too.” She crumpled the paper to the funnies. "Oh, those Lockhorns! Just like home."

“But maybe she’s hurt. Again! Or-or she doesn’t want to see us and she’s scared? Because of the demon thing?” Willow stopped her movements and her eyes saddened until she heard a timid knock coming from the front door. She brightened immediately. The apparition took large steps and walked through the blank wall next to the heavy front door. Willow was able to avoid Tara’s body completely when she stepped into the afternoon sun of Giles’ courtyard, “Hi!”

The greeting probably would have been better executed if Tara hadn’t been looking the other direction. The girl jumped and turned her head quickly to view the jarring redhead. That was a mistake. Willow winced when Tara reached for her bandaged throat. “Oh god! I’m so sorry!” she closed her eyes, angry with herself. “I keep… And I don’t mean to…” she gave up with a growl and shake of her hands.

“I-it’s okay. See?” Tara turned to face Willow and moved her head back and forth a little with only the slightest of discernible winces.

“Sure?”

Tara reached to stop Willow’s wringing fingers but quickly remembered whom she was dealing with when her own hand passed right through Willow's. She looked down but smiled at the brief touch and spoke, “I’m fine, Willow.”

“Sure?” she weakly repeated. There was a fresh breeze that scuttled some nearby litter. The strong wind blew through Willow’s body to push Tara’s long hair from her face. Tara’s newly visible smile was contagious, and Willow nodded to the door, “Shall we?”

Tara looked into Willow’s eyes, which were thickly outlined in dark mascara, “We s-surely shall.” She let out a few short breaths and pressed down the cool handle of the door.
Okay, just act normal. Don’t clam up and don’t be an idiot.

Tara had been pacing outside of Giles’ home for a good five minutes before she got the courage to knock. She had been giving herself a sort of pep talk. It was mostly filled with doom and put-downs. It was more of an anti-pep talk when she thought about it. But no matter how nervous she felt it wasn’t like she could just run away from the Slayer. Tara hated to think it, but she would rather die than go back home to her family.

Maybe they can find a cure. Or help me control it or… A morose thought entered her mind. …make it painless.

She realized that kind of thinking was getting her nowhere and she lightly rapped on the dark wooden door with her tender knuckles hoping no one was home. After the small Willow-sized surprise, her confidence raised and decreased at the same time. The pair entered the apartment and she closed the door behind them.

Normally, Tara would have focused on the décor of the loft, taken in the aroma, looked for the people inside, wondered about whether or not she should take off her shoes, and many more cascading thoughts which would flow through a person’s mind when entering someone’s household for the first time. But at that particular moment, she was forced to focus on a sharp voice coming from her direct line of vision.

“What the fuck is that fucker doing there!?” Faith was screaming at Giles. Tara didn’t expect such a strong reaction to her presence by Faith, especially based on their previous interactions.

So this is the fear that drives uncontrolled urination... The slayer was imperially pissed. Did they not know she was coming? Was it some kind of weird trap? Had Willow reassured her everything would be all right with her wily, Willow-ways just to corral her in with the wolves? No. She couldn’t have. Did she?

So many thoughts were flooding Tara’s mind and blood rushed her eardrums. Her palms were sweating, and her stomach decided to take a vacation south. She looked toward Willow to understand, but Willow’s attention wasn’t concerned with Tara at all. It was focused towards a seated man at a desk. Guess that’s Mr. Giles.

As she looked at him more closely she noticed he was cradling a black telephone to his ear. Tara’s thoughts were starting to pull together right when Faith ripped the phone out of Giles’ grasp. The body of the phone dangled in the air from a once curly chord pulled straight. Faith tried to pick it up by the coiling wire whilst she repeated into the receiver, “Why the fuck is that fucking fucker there!?”

Oooooh. Now Tara got it. Kind of. She looked closer, and it seemed Faith hadn’t even noticed the pair enter the apartment. The harsh greeting wasn’t a greeting at all. For her, at least. Faith's eyes stared off into space and Tara assumed she was focusing on a different picture altogether in her own mind.

More of Faith’s gratuitous language continued into the telephone, and Tara turned to Willow again. She noticed the ghost’s eyes were extremely wide, but more with embarrassment; not shock. Willow finally faced Tara. “It wasn’t like this before I met you outside, I swear. It was calm before. Relaxed. Even a little chipper,” she pleaded.

Giles didn’t notice Willow and Tara enter his home either and got up from his desk chair. He muttered along the way to a large map on the wall, “Why, Faith, would you care to speak to Angel on the telephone? You would? Well, here, let me hand it to you. Oh it's no problem at all, you're very welcome…”

Willow’s eyes followed him and saw the watcher taking out a ball of red string from a nearby drawer. Tara could tell it must have been half its original size when she peered at the map before the man. It was filled with fraying yarn turned a pinkish-orange from years of fading in the sunlight.

Willow appeared nervous and Tara just nodded in understanding when the girl silently excused herself to seek answers from a calmer source.

“Why there?” Faith was clenching her fists; one around the receiver of the telephone and another by her waist. Tara thought she heard the plastic cracking and felt it was a little surprising that Faith could seem so menacing and dangerous. Well what do you expect a Slayer to act like? A valley girl?

Her blue eyes were focused on the Slayer; particularly the Slayer’s flexing muscles. Holy cow, she could snap my spine in three. Tara didn’t know what was going on and didn’t want to intrude, but she couldn’t help but overhear Willow’s conversation coming from the other side of the room.

“Boston?” Willow was at Giles’ side and moved her whole head, not just her eyes, to watch him shuffle pins around. Like a nearby ambulance siren, Faith kept shouting in the background of their discussion.

He spoke with a tack in his mouth, “South Boston, to be precise.”

Willow peaked back at Tara and then to Faith, “But that's her-” Giles just nodded in silence as he connected the strings. Now Willow's eyes were moving as if they were trying to catch hold of all the questions in her mind, but they all formed into one, “Well?”

“Well,” he pushed his finishing touch into the wall, “from what little I heard, before my arm was nearly torn off, it was just a spotting of him. No one knows what he’s up to yet.” He cleaned his glasses then put them on to look at his latest addition. A strong red string crossed the Atlantic Ocean from a small dot in Italy to America’s east coast. He continued, “But my best guess is he’s up to something that may concern her. There’s a lot one can gather from a person’s home- and not just information, if we’re magically speaking.” Willow was speechless.

“Fine. Bye.” Faith slammed the phone down hard. It whimpered with a ring. She looked to Giles, “I’m leaving.”

“I’m not sure traveling to Boston would be advisable, Faith,” he spoke. She was about to cut in, but he reminded her; his voice now raised with authority, “We decided together, that next time we would wait it out and not jump to conclusions as we did before, remember?”

Tara felt so awkward as she still stood near the door. This must be what it felt like for the only friend I ever invited to my house that one time…

The argument continued, “I’m not just gonna sit and watch Hollywood Squares when I could be protecting us and fixing this. Ending this! And if he’s in Boston trying to mess with me or whatever, then he’s lookin’ for a major ass-kicking” She pointed in the air towards the invisible enemy. Tara noted in her mind that Faith was actually pointing north and not east towards Boston.

"That's north," Willow muttered, "East is, uh..." she just pointed cautiously with one quiet index finger held low by her waist. When the redhead caught the slayer's glare she dropped closed her fist immediately.

Giles cut in, “And if he is up to something, we’ll figure it out quickly and logically. He’s slippery, but not one to keep his presence hidden.” Giles gestured powerfully with his hands and stepped closer to the slayer, “I refuse to let him get away again and I refuse to let you ruin our chance by scaring him away or by getting yourself hurt.”

Fed up, Faith turned her attention away from her Watcher and mutely started scrounging through Giles’ weapons chest.

“Faith!” Giles tried to get her attention, but it wasn’t working. She stood up fully with a rather large knife in her right hand. It glinted in Tara's eyes. “You need to control yourself, for our sake, if not your own!”

“I know!” she looked to him with dark eyes, “I’ll stay. And I get you, I do. I just…” She looked around the room to gather her thoughts, but her temper was flaring. “I need to slay,” Tara could practically feel Faith’s gaze on her before she met it with her own terrified eyes, “and I need to slay now.” It was a predatory gaze.

Oh god, oh god, oh god… Tara tensed and suddenly couldn’t remember how to breathe.

The Slayer advanced on the girl rapidly, but just as she a few quick steps away, Willow appeared before Faith and Tara’s eyes. “Holy shit!” Faith startled. The sight of her friend suddenly blocking her way to Tara was enough to slow Faith down, but the slayer's intentions were still very clear.

Willow looked a bit stunned, but quickly regained composure in front of her best friend. She stood up straight and with a deep and calm voice spoke, “Don’t you dare.”

Faith wasn’t about to back down, “Why the hell are you protecting a demon!” During the sudden appearance of Willow, Giles looked to Tara and caught the girl's eyes. With a parental authority, he motioned for her to join him. Tara took her first step, but the tip of a sword entered her vision as it held firmly in the air centimeters before her eyes. The blade was protruding through the back of Willow's left shoulder.

"You, don't move" Faith spoke to Tara but was looking in Willow's eyes the whole time. She then addressed her best friend, "And you, get outta my sight."

Now Willow was the one to raise her voice, “I'm not just protecting her and she’s not a demon!”

“You don’t fucking know that!!”

“Well neither do you!”

Tara noticed Faith wasn't one to draw out an argument when the slayer silently looked back and forth between her friends, “I’m trying to help you people!” She got silence in return, “Fuck this shit.” She lowered her weapon and left.

Giles handed Tara a cup of tea, “Again, I do apologize for Faith’s behavior, Tara."

Willow and Tara were sitting on his couch, and on the short table before them were remnants of a rather complicated but quickly executed spell. Tara excepted the cup of tea with a slight smile, and Willow watched her lips form into a soft O-shape and blow small ripples across the liquid's surface. Steam rose to dampen her light-brown eyebrows. The redhead continued to assess Tara's attempt to not burn her mouth by slowly testing the heat on her upper lip before taking a safe sip while Giles sat in a nearby leather chair.

Tara nodded in satisfaction of the tea, "Oh, you don't need to apo-ologize, Mr. Giles. I-I'm sure if I were in her position- you-you're position I wouldn't be a-able t-to- I mean, n-not that th-there's... o-or that she's... " There was no need to explain her thoughts. Willow and Giles just nodded.

The silence festered a little, and Willow noticed that the sun was almost down. She spoke up, "It's almost dark out. You might wanna get back to campus quickly."

Tara set down her cup gently on the coffee table and looked to Willow, "O-okay."

"I can walk!" Willow shocked herself with her own proclamation. Who am I? Tiny Tim!? She looked at the curious faces in the room, I bet Giles would make a good Scrooge. "I mean, I can walk you. With you, not- I can walk with you when you walk... with yourself? Uh, if-if you want? Me to walk you home?"

Willow was nervous. Why was she nervous?

Tara chuckled a little and looked toward the ghost seated beside her, "That'd be great. I mean, you know, f-fine."

Silence again.

Giles looked between the two girls and spoke up, "Well, then, Tara do contact me if anything is troubling you, and please keep in touch with the results. No matter what the reaction, I'm sure we can safely deal with what comes your way."

The brief smile Tara had previously shared with Willow disappeared at the mention of the spell, "A-are you sure i-it'll show up? Be-because I'm n-n-not yet-"

The watcher cut her off, "I'm sure it'll show. The spell is designed to respond to any demon matter, dormant or not. Just keep the charm close to your skin for the night until the charm changes its color. You do remember the colors?"

Willow's eyesight aimed toward the short chain necklace with a clear crystal. It was flat and held easily to the skin above Tara's heart. Willow continued to look at it among other interesting aspects of Tara's upper torso while the girl and Giles continued to talk. "Y-yes. Yellow for human and black for d-d-d-de..." She let the word trail off into nothing.

"Yes, well." Giles stood up, and Willow turned her head quickly to look at him.

"Well, uh, we should probably get going. Sun down and all," Willow stood and swayed her arms at her side in a carefree manner with soundless snaps.

Tara looked up, "Y-yes." She stood and straightened her skirt.

How did we get here so fast!? Willow was standing outside of Tara's dorm room and watching her fish out her keys. Without realization, the ghost was silently wishing Tara had lost them just to make time stretch a little longer. She heard the familiar jangle and out they came from the girl's bag. They had walked straight from Giles' and talked the whole way, yet time flew as light banter was passed between them.

The door unlocked, and Tara's hand was still on the cold metallic knob when she turned to Willow, "D-do you want to come in?"

Willow's heart fluttered and just as quickly those words made her smile, she couldn't help declining, "Oh, that's - you don't have to invite me. I mean, I'm sure you-you have college type stuff I'd just, uh, keep you from. You being the college girl and all..." She trailed off as Tara's face fell.

"O-Okay-"

"Um, un-unless you want me to? If you want me, I-"

"Yes." Tara's voice was strong and she jumped at Willow's bait, "I, um, if you want to?" She stepped unto the room and opened the door wide for Willow.

The apparition eased her way in slowly to take in all her surroundings. It was close to sun-down and darkness was settling in the room. She heard a flick and noticed a few mellow lamps and a series of small white lights brighten the room. The space was still dark with its black walls, rich fabrics and unusual decorations. Metallic wire sculptures, though hard in touch, still gave off a soft quality with its use of sparse fabric and feminine form. Candles and crystals covered most surfaces along with brittle books, both old and new. Everything felt so tactile through Willow's eyes. The walls were decorated in small pin-up girl oil-paintings, some old paper music flyers, and a large abstract piece made up of muddled words, symbols and images which seemed to encompass the enormity of one fleeting thought. Or was it a feeling? And there, in the middle of the room, standing on a hand-woven rug was a shy girl; pale blonde wisps, eyes nowhere to be held, and clunky boots with their long laces tickling the floor. From one glance she looked ordinary, but when witnessing the room in which the girl surrounded herself, Willow realized how much the atmosphere was comforting and unique. It was supportive and strong; timid and adventurous; inspiring and gloomy. It was Tara personified and it welcomed Willow with warm open arms. Oh... Wow.

Willow stood feet away from Tara and could tell the girl was feeling nervous about her own decorating judgments. "I love it." They were the only words Willow could think to say and she blushed a little, without the sensation of heat on her cheeks, after hearing them.

Tara looked up with a small smile and started to oppose Willow's statement, "It's kind of cluttered, I didn't expect... I haven't, um, even taken d-down the Christmas lights yet-"

"Don't," Willow stopped her.

"But it's January?"

"No, I mean. Well, yes, don't take them down. They look great. It all looks great. I meant don't try to deny it. I really do. Love it, I mean." Willow paused. "So, yeah. Um." Tara looked at her to finish, "Yeah I'm, uh, done talking. Now. I'm gonna stop. I mean it. Uh, right-"

"Thank you." The statement was quiet, but full of heart. Astonishment? "I like them too," Tara pointed meekly to the string of lights.

"I have some too. I don't know if you saw. I'd prefer the blue ones, but, well, I really like the white ones. Snowy and starry; they're classy, really. My apartment has the usual colored pack and they should probably come down, but knowing Fai-" Willow cut herself off at the mention of her roommate and co-holiday-apartment-decorator's name. A frown settled on her brow.

"Don't," this word now spilled from Tara's mouth.

"But she-"

"Willow, it's fine. I'm not upset and you shouldn't be either."

"Bu-"

Tara gave the ghost a look, but it wasn't stern. Her expression was contemplative and a little nervous, "She j-j-ust... she's looking out for her f-f-family."

At that word Willow's tension dissipated quickly but she tried to hold onto it for Tara's sake, "Well she... She could've-"

"She didn't," Tara took a few steps toward the young redhead.

"But she was going to! And that would have been..." She didn't even want to comprehend the thought of what could have taken place earlier that night.

"I-I know. You wouldn't want to lose h-her to-" Willow could only nod. Tara looked around the room dejectedly at her own self, "And I d-deserve-"

"Tara!! You don't know that!" Willow stepped incredibly close to Tara and searched to reach the girl's sight with her own. "And even if you were... you would never deserve... that." She couldn't bring herself to thinking someone as good as Tara felt could ever be evil.

Tara moved to her bed and sat down hard and bounced with a sigh. Willow joined her and sat next to the girl. Time went on for a few moments as each girl lost themselves in thoughts they never knew could exist. Willow leaned closer and spoke to get the other girl's attention, "Tara."

The girl didn't look up from her hands. Willow didn't feel like fighting for her eyes. They were both tired and overwhelmed with how frantic their lives had both increased within the past two days. Willow felt the conversation lull and didn't know whether to walk away, run away or stay forever in that wonderful room. She counted the seconds and was startled out of track when Tara suddenly lay back on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

"I want to wait forever and I want have it all at once, at the same time." Tara's whisper was tinged with fear and aggression.

"For what?" It was a simple question that parted the redhead's lips.

"The truth."

Willow looked down at the clear pendent then resting near the bandage of Tara's long neck, "Oh."

She joined Tara by leaning back slowly. The mattress never tilted under her weight. Tara's body went undisturbed.

The apparition's eyes looked up toward the same ceiling that engaged Tara's thoughts. She could hear a clock ticking in the back of her own mind. It was funny how time always barged into her life. My death Her awareness of passing time had increased greatly since her death. Now that her own time was done, yet endless, it mattered to her more than anything. The problem was she still had no idea how to spend it.

Pushing those thoughts away and pushing her head more towards Tara's she revealed softly, "I'll... I'll still be here. Even if..."

Tara's face turned towards the ghosts and looked confusedly hopeful. Willow met her gaze and, inches apart, softly asked, "Okay?"

Blue eyes turned glassy with moisture and Tara's chin trembled a little. With a the slightest hint of a relieved smile she opened her mouth and responded with silence until a whisper made its way out, "Okay."

The slightest of two heads nodding to each other was the only indication that particular conversation was over with for the night. They lay for a long time afterward. Tara's eyes were closed, but Willow knew the girl was only resting quietly; much like how Willow, herself, slept. Willow was starting to doze off into her meditations in the relaxed atmosphere when a gurgle erupted from a nearby empty tummy.

Silence passed for nearly ten seconds until both girls started giggling with their eyes closed. The bed shook with Tara's chuckles, but Willow never noticed. It wasn't until another angrier grumble was making its presence known that both girls opened their eyes and looked at each other.

Willow sat up, "You probably want to go get something to eat. I can leave-"

"No." Tara said urgently. She sat up slowly, "I... Stay?" Willow moved her eyes to take in all the features of the girl's face. "I just, I don't think I can- I don't want to be alone, yet. Through this." Tara gripped the necklace. Willow nodded, but then Tara quickly contradicted her previous feelings, "No, go. You-you don't have to s-s-st-"

"I'm here."

"Okay."

Willow stayed with Tara and spent some time wasting time. No, no waste. She promised Tara she'd stay until the girl fell serenely asleep, and to watch the girl slumber certainly wasn't a waste in Willow's hidden mind.

It also didn't hurt that Tara let the ghost help assist in doing her math homework.

End Chapter Nine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:18 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hi there. Well that was a welcome update and a little strange too. Faith's anger seemed disproportionate to whatever was going on in Boston (unclear to me). I guess, thought, that she's quite passionate and that it's all part of being a Slayer. But.... Even if Tara was a demon, there are certainly good demons and helper demons that the gang didn't just eviscerate for fun or to get their ya yas or whatever. Geez, Faith: take a pill.

The interactions between Tara and Willow were just adorable. I love how Willow loves Tara's room. At one point, it almost seemed like they were going to try (and fail) to kiss but that passed. Very sweet though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:43 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

please, PLEASE keep updating.

Please?

:pray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:39 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey there,

Read your fic in one sitting last night and was floored! Man, I loved the 'what if' factor of Halloween never getting fixed. Poor Willow. You've also got an amazing amount of depth to the story, with flashbacks of Willow learning how to use her new powers, Xander's trip to the Initiative, and Faith's abiding fear of Judge Judy (?).

Also some moments of literary genius. The passage where you describe Tara's room was magical. I read it three times, just to roll the taste of it over my tongue. Well done.

Boston. That's where Ethan Rayne is, right?

Can't wait to see it all resolve. Can't have much T/W lovin if one of them is a ghost, can we?

Update soon, please!

Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:13 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey, everyone. I'll be updating very soon, either tonight or tomorrow.

JustSkipIt - Faith's blow-up did feel very uncalled for, but the next chapter is definitely (and hopefully) going to give some explanations. I'm glad I was able to make the Willow and Tara time cute.

taraslove - I WILL keep updating because I so want to get to the end, just like anyone else reading this. College courses are eating away at my time, but I'm always thinking about the next chapter.

Tara the Phoenix - Hey, I'm really glad you've enjoyed what I got so far! I don't know how Judge Judy became integrated as one of my minor characters... I seriously didn't plan that. I think my only outline for that chapter was: Faith is dreaming while Willow's at wicca group. I think the fear of Judge Judy stems from my own memories of visiting my deaf grandmother's house. She'd have the TV turned up so loud you could hear the judge's argumentative yelling from the drive-way.
And yes, there are many-a-flashbacks. I'm pretty much telling almost half of the story in the past, and at times it's a bit hard to control all the different story-lines at once.
I usually don't want to give anything away in my feedback, but yes, it's pretty safe to say Ethan is in Boston. Thanks for the compliments and keep reading!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:20 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying this story so far and would like to read more.

The premise is interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing Willow haunt Tara for awhile before things with Ethan are finally resolved. Assuming the story is even headed in that direction, of course.

I like how Willow and Tara are definitely the focus, but there's still a lot going on outside of their romance. There's a world here (and one not entirely borrowed) where many other stories can happen. The flashbacks add a lot to this.

And there have been many neat little touches along the way.

Do these little reminders actually help prompt updates? People do appreciate your work!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:15 pm 
2. Floating Rose

hey there

I am loving this story, it's beautifully written, never thought of ghosty relationships before, but wow this if great.

More please !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:19 am 
3. Flaming O

I know, I know. I suck at updating. I could say I've been rather busy, but honestly, I think I'm just being too hard on myself or over-thinking stuff. When I started this in the summer, the board was pretty slow, but now it's hoppin' and there are so many great writers and stories (I love you all), and I think I'm getting a little shy. And I shouldn't. So I won't. Because we all know that the only thing worse than bad fic is no fic - especially unfinished fic. So on with the show!!

Archwaykitten - Hey! I'm psyched you like my story. Although there's plenty of new story to create, I've been trying my hardest not to stray crazy far away from the original show timeline and characters.
Quote:
Do these little reminders actually help prompt updates? People do appreciate your work!
The reminders actually do help me and push me to keep writing. My motivation isn't to write for feedback, but I'd be lying to say it isn't addictive to read comments on your own work. It's freakin' awesome, no matter if it's good or bad feedback. And I'll never turn down a compliment, so it's nice to know people appreciate my work. Thanks!!

shyamberlover - Thanks! I'm happy that this little ol' story has piqued your interest. And who doesn't love ghost relationships, unless they involve a shirtless Patrick Swayze and creepy shadow demons that sound like they have bowel problems... ew.

Title: First Touch
Author: theblew
Email: the_blew@yahoo.com
Ratings: Will fluctuate. There will be violence of the killing vampires/demons nature, adult language, and perhaps some steaminess if you're good. So be prepared for a default of the fic being rated R. I'll warn you when it's NC-17.
Pairing: W/T
Distribution: It's all yours. Just tell me where it's goin'.
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Joss Whedon.
Spoilers: Up through season 4.
Summary: The aftermath and what would happen if the episode 'Halloween' ended a little differently.
Angst: Yes. You know you love it.

Note 1: Flashbacks and thoughts in italics.

Note 2: I know nothing of Latin, but give me some credit for looking up some words!

Note 3: This is primarily a Faith chapter.... but it should give you a bunch of info on the past and other characters.

First Touch
Chapter Ten: Faith, Hope, and Trust

Grey dust filled the cracks of Faith's tank top and a bead of sweat tickled it's way down, from elbow to wrist, from knuckle to fingertip, from fingertip to floor. The thick moist fog and pulsing floor didn't slow her seductive movements against anyone within reaching distance. Darkness blanketed her and Faith was in her own familiar element; she was at the Bronze, dancing with the mix of adrenaline and alcohol, sifting through her veins.

She knew that no matter how late she went home, she wouldn't be able to slip quietly into her apartment. A best friend who had the ability to stay up all night for the next forever prevented that. And she would be waiting, too. God, I hate that. At least, if she stayed out extremely late, the conversation she knew she was to expect when facing Willow could be brief. A few extra yawns under the feign of sleepiness never hurt no one.

Past the thick locks of her swirling hair, Faith locked eyes on her next preys and moved through the strobing shocks of light.

Dark.

Flash.

Dark.

Flash.

Dark.

Flash.

"God, did you get a look at that slut-bomb on the dance floor?" A tall beautiful brunette stabbed at an ice-cube with her straw, behind her friends' backs. She leaned toward the one with thick curly dark hair and did nothing to lower her voice, "Okay, see Ms. Lifts-and-Separates over there? Don't do..." the glass clinked with a swirl, "...that." The shorter girl's hazel eyes snapped from staring at a dark corner of the room to the dancer. She nodded. The taller girl continued, "Oh, and have you ever thought about fixing that rat's nest on your head? I think you..."

The 'slut-bomb' Miss Teen USA was referring to had overheard the entire conversation. Faith found many uses with her enhanced hearing abilities, but had yet to find the use of listening to annoying conversation. She tried as best she could to ignore it and danced on with the vampire.

Recently moved into town, and with her Watcher's strong suggestion to get to know the new surroundings, Faith had headed to the nearest feeding ground - The Bronze. She had left her humble dump of an abode in south Boston, and traveled to kick some demon-ass on the Hellmouth. She had learned of the previous Slayers before her but wasn't really keen on being a replacement nor try and fill anyone's stylish, yet affordable boots. Buffy Summers was a name she wished she could have forgotten, if it wasn't so ridiculous. She knew the girl existed, but turned her back on the details. Faith was the Slayer.
The One and Only.

After a few more spins around the floor, the vamp lead her outside to a nearby alley. A few reddened knuckles and a stake to the heart ensured her own safety as well as others'. Seven piles of dust in one short night on the town seemed good enough before she met up with her Watcher. Honestly, she didn't expect so many vamps on her first night out. Sunnydale was such a small suburban town. With the wooden stake between the skin of her backside and a pair of tight jeans, she walked toward the high school.

She entered the dark building, and the heavy rubber soles of her stiff boots squeaked obnoxiously on the tiled floor. She silently snarled.
So much for stealth. The hallways were long but easy to navigate. Lockers were covered in stickers, and the walls were decorated with Successory posters which exclaimed 'Determination!' and 'Teamwork!', each with their own pictorial example. The images of cute animals churned the bile in her stomach. Man, am I glad I dropped out. Faith never liked school. When she had to put her drunken mother to bed and pay the bills on time at the age of eight, it was hard for Faith to put schoolwork first, not to mention, fit in with the rest of her classmates. Her mother had kicked it a few days before Faith's non-existent birthday presents were ever torn open and at the young age of fifteen, all the girl needed to worry about was looking after herself and only herself. At that age, fear was not a welcome emotion in Faith's mind, but it snuck in when figuring out how to pay for food, find a place to sleep and clean up. Faith strongly resented her time spent learning about the Louisiana Purchase and the lowest common denominator when scrounging for dropped change on the street. Why didn't school ever teach her what she really needed to know in life?

Those were the emotions fuelingFaith's scowl as she continued stepping through never-ending corridors and peaking through classroom windows at Sunnydale High. The shop room was empty except for two students. They looked to be around her age and working late on a project. One was wearing a black welding mask and torching a particularly intriguing contraption of metal and wire. Next to him stood a redhead of the same height watching over his shoulder, mask-less.
I like her shirt.

She turned her attention back to the hallway and continued familiarizing herself with the premises. The only others she found on school grounds were an attractive boy working out in the school's big budgeted weight room, and a motivated teacher typing away in a dark classroom filled with computers. She finally pulled open the library doors and stepped inside to see her Watcher leaning over a cup of tea and speaking quietly with another man. He was older but handsome. Her own Watcher looked up and still looked very much like the first time Faith met her; dressed smartly, blonde hair pulled back loosely, and one raised eyebrow.

When Faith was first approached by Ella Barclay of the Watchers' Council, she was putting her newfound muscles to good use - her own, personal, good use. It was under a broken streetlight, near the dark waters of Boston's expansive Harbor that, to Faith's dismay, she learned how her strengths were a gift and not developed by her very own power and will. Faith stepped out of the circle of beaten thugs lying on the glittering concrete and towards the woman watching her. She knew that the woman was strong in the way she confidently presented herself, but Faith found it unsettling that Martha Stewart was telling Faith about her destiny at three in the morning. Still, stranger things had happened, and she decided to listen for once. Their conversation was fairly brief, until Ella made her give the money back to the bruised and bloodied gentlemen. It seemed before starting her new life as the Slayer, she had to be Miss goody-two-shoes. Although the money would have helped, she was warmly promised to be taken in by the woman, and Faith desperately wanted to take a shower. When told of the previous Slayer's death and the passing of her abilities, all Faith had to remark was, "Her loss."

"Ah, Faith! Glad to see you could make it and appease my suggestion of stopping in," Ella's sarcasm was a clue to her good mood that night.

"Yeah, well, figured I'd get the low-down on who drinks their tea and eats their cookies directly over the Hellmouth," she plopped down on a nearby chair next to Ella and put her heavy feet on the wooden table next to a green lamp. "We're sitting on it, yeah?" she noticed the older guy's frown, "Mister Rogers?"

The man she was referring to readjusted his glasses and stood to shake Faith's hand, "I am Rupert Giles, Buffy's Watcher, and you're scuffing the table."

"Oh, don't even try to scold her actions, Rupert. It only encourages her." Ella smiled and then nonchalantly shoved the nearby boots off the table. The force jerked Faith's body upright in her chair.

Faith just looked silently at her own Watcher and then to 'Rupert's' dry extended hand before the increasing volume of one person's footsteps entered the room. The sound confused Faith. The sight didn't fit her mental vision when she actually looked to see, not one, but two people approaching. They were the same students she saw earlier in the shop room.

Giles dropped his hand and looked toward the incoming couple, "Oh. Willow-"

The redhead's smile was consuming her face and she interrupted Giles' greeting, "We did it! I mean," in her excitement, she looked towards the quiet boy without noticing the new faces, while they strode in, "Oz did it! We think, uh, he thinks. I mean, right? You think?"

The boy just nodded towards Willow, "Yes." He then turned to address the group, "We just need a book to test it... incase... everyone... was wondering."

By the look of Willow's big cartoon eyes, the girl finally caught on to the subtle difference in the room. It seemed Faith and Ella weren't expected by the girl. Willow frowned, "Eh, Giles?"

Faith figured they must understand the partly-cloudy side of Sunnydale, if they were close to Giles and had at least half a brain.
What the hell, if they don't get it, they'll think I like heavy metal. She interrupted with a raised hand, "New Slayer." That seemed to be all Willow needed for understanding; the shock in her eyes was pretty funny. "Nice abs, by the way. You use those machines in the gym?"

Oz's lips slightly quirked into a smile while Willow's arms coiled around her tummy, "W-wh-what? No. No I-I don't. Giles?"

"Yes. Willow," he addressed her, "This is Faith. She'll be staying in town with her Watcher, Miss Barcla-"

"Ella," the other Watcher interrupted. She stood to shake Willow's hand and then snickered at herself, "Oh excuse me, it is easy to forget." She settled on a comforting smile, "It's nice to meet you, Willow, I've heard so much about you."

Faith leaned forward and noticed the dipping of Willow's confused and angered eyebrows. Willow addressed the newcomers while pointedly glaring at Giles, "And I've heard nothing about you." With a slight nod of her head toward the small office, "Uh, Giles?"

He looked at Willow and then pardoned himself from the table to follow the girl's quick steps. The boy stood still by the table until introducing himself, "Oz."

Both Faith and Ella looked at him and didn't notice that his timed introduction averted their eyes from seeing Willow's body pass through a very solid door.

"Boyfriend?" Faith asked in curiosity.

He looked at her earnestly, but she knew he was kidding in his reply, "Sorry, I'm taken." He thumbed his way toward the muffled arguement in the office.

"Giles must be a lucky man," she grinned.

"The luckiest."

Just then the door opened quickly, and Willow's stubborn apology to Giles was heard by all. Oz moved to meet her half-way. Giles sat down at the table and apologized for the disruption in introductions. All, but one, took a seat. Faith noticed Giles was somehow able to look up at Willow and down his glasses at her, simultaneously.
Geez, do all Watchers have that skill!? Is there, like, a class for that or somethin'? She turned to study Ella, whose attention was attuned to the standing figure. Giles' silent command somehow turned Willow into acting like a small child who didn't want to put on her jacket before playing outside. She relented with a huff before closing her eyes and slowing her breaths. The large room was so silent, it was amazing no one could hear Faith's eyes flicking side to side. Her face crumped into an expression. What the hell is going on, and what the fuck is up with that chick? Willow's eyes opened and she gently sat down in the chair Oz pulled out beside her.

There were a few more calming breaths, a nod from Giles, and Faith had had enough, "Okay either she's afraid of chairs biting her ass or what the fuck was up with...?" She circled wildly with one index finger at Willow and her chair.

Both watchers talked over Willow's silence, but Giles' voice overshadowed Ella's. "Faith, Willow is composed of, ah... She's what you would call a 'ghost'."

Faith's expression didn't change but she swiveled to face Ella, "And you knew but didn't tell me!?"

"Actually, my dear, attentive Faith, I did. I swear, Rupert, getting this one to listen is as hard as, well, getting Faith to listen. I mean, a wall would at least have the courtesy to have my words bounce off it, rather than dodge away from them."

Faith rolled her eyes back on track, "So wai-wai-wait, this chick ain't real?"

"I am so!" Willow joined the conversation.

Faith considered Willow's answer but shifted her attention a little left to the quiet boy, "Hold up, Red." She turned to Oz, " So what's that make you?"

"I'm Oz. We met."

"He-he's a werewolf," Willow said it so non-chalantly it seemed like a typical answer. It was as if she had said, 'His shirt is grey.' or 'He has a nose'. She raised her voice, "And, I
am so real." There was a slight pause while her head tilted and her mouth opened in thought, "I-I'm here talking aren't I!?" The way she asked, made it sound more like a true question, rather than definitive proof. The silence that responded gave no answer. "Giles, tell her I'm real!!"

He sighed and took down his glasses, "Let's just calm-"

"Tell her!" Faith was on the pointy end of Willow's hand which jabbed the air in her direction.

Giles relented, "Yes, Faith, Willow is real." Willow sharply nodded in a 'so there!' fashion before Giles continued, "But what you see is just a picture of her, her body is not real. In fact, her actual body is protected in a crypt. This, what you see of Willow, is the presence of her mind; her soul. "

"Yes, Mr. Giles is corre-"

"Listen, Jeeves, I'm not in the exorcism business. You're gonna have to find some scary priest dude and get rid of that thing on your own."

"No, Faith, you've misunderstood. Willow is, and Oz for that matter, they both help to fight the forces of evil, here on the Hellmouth. Oz is a student here at the high school and Willow-"

"Okay, What can she do? I mean, don't get me wrong, I get that whole werewolf strength in the fight thing-"

"Actually, it doesn't work like that." Oz's statement went mostly unnoticed.

"So what kind of powers do ghosts get? Fly around and make the walls bleed blood and shit?"

Giles looked appalled at Faith's suggestions, and as they stared each other down, only Oz and Ella noticed Willow's little slip through the chair and down to the floor. Ella made some notes on a small pad of paper and spoke with her head down, "This isn't exactly like the movies, Faith..." she looked down at the girl currently caged and impaled by the wooden legs of a chair while she lay on her back. She addressed Willow, "Or is it?"

A simultaneous chorus of, "NO," came from all three original Sunnydale residents.

Oz was currently moving the heavy wooden chair aside. Giles opened his mouth to explain further, "Actually we are still trying to test Willow's capabillities, but as you can see we are still struggling with the basics."

"
We're struggling?" came a voice from the floor. "I'm struggling, not you."

Faith lifted herself up on the arms of her chair to peer across the table at Willow on the floor, "And what's with that?"

"Giles went on," As you can see Willow is trying to balance herself, on objects such as furniture. She has no mass, and is not able to ever move an object with weight, even one as light as air. She has no touch, no smell, no taste."

He was interrupted by Faith, "Hold up!" Faith looked back and forth between Willow and Oz, "How does that work?"

"What work?" Willow responded.

Faith smirked into a grin and slammed both of her palms on the table with realization, "Damn! That is some freaky shit, right there." Willow's confused look was priceless. "I mean, I've done a lot, but never gotten to that level before." She whispered to Oz, "So which one of you plays the doctor?"

"Huh? Play doctor? Xander and I used to play doctor all the time." Almost everyone gawked at Willow. Giles was cleaning his glasses. "What?" Silence. "What?"

"'You show him yours, he shows you his' ring a bell? Just a hunch, Red, but if you don't know, then you probably were playin' it wrong," Faith snickered and leaned back in her seat.

Willow's look was confused and she bunched her eyebrows together, "Wrong?"

Ella took the brief pause to speak rationally to her Slayer, "Faith, Mr. Giles has been kind enough to accommodate us here in Sunnydale with not only a place to stay, but help and information. If these," she paused to look at Giles and Oz lending useless hands to a disgruntled Willow, "...unique individuals wish to aid in our fight, I agree with Mr. Giles in going against the Council's policy of Slayer secrecy. Now give it a rest with the questions tonight."

"Okay, okay. Werewolf. Ghost." Faith took stock of the characters around her, "God, I feel like you should be saying 'Trick or Treat'. So where's the witch, the vampire, and clown?"

Ella looked at Giles with fiendish mirth. He replied hotly, "I am not the clown!

Under the twitching, neon 'izza' of 'Poor Man's Pizza', Faith greedily worked on her fourth slice. The restaurant was closing when she arrived, but she was able to charm her way in. Alright, it's a little after three... Willow's probably simmering nicely right about now. This definitely wasn't the first argument Faith and Willow had gotten into and was most likely not to be the last. Tonight had been hard on Faith in more than one way.

The call they received from Angel earlier was both a blessing and a curse. Ethan Rayne was back on the map and in her hometown. Her territory. Faith was not going to let history repeat itself. When the news arrived that he was in Boston, she instinctively thought she could beat him. She had the Home advantage, and why not take it and end this all for once. Fix things for once. Get revenge for once.

Faith knew Giles would understand what she wanted to do, but he wasn't about to let history repeat itself, either.

Faith and Ella had been working in Sunnydale with the 'Scoobies' for over three months. Finals were coming up and Willow was trying her hardest to teach her friends anything remotely helpful in getting the grades they needed. It was Saturday night, and everyone was in the library but Cordelia. Willow had asked if she wanted to study with Buffy and Xander, but she only got a sarcastic, "Sure! And then we can sit around and wonder what it's like to have a real life!"

Faith and Willow hadn't actually been close at the time, but she was shocked, all the same, when the ghost's reply was a simple, "Fuck you, Cordelia."

Oz, Buffy and Xander sat around the library table as Willow hovered over her closest friends' shoulders, checking their work. It had taken a lot to get Xander caught up in school, but Buffy was a completely different matter, altogether.

"This language is preposterous, and it shall not be of need in the future, for that I am sure," Buffy looked toward Willow.

"It's not, and it will, and you're wrong." Willow kneeled between Buffy and Xander and looked more closely at her notebook. "Oh, no, this doesn't make any sense."

"You see? Senseless."

"You can learn this real easily, and I won't let you give up. It's not an option. You're smart, you just need to try. Okay, a covalent bond, which means these two atoms are linked by this..."

Faith continued attacking both watchers' gloved hands.

And then something happened.

Both library doors opened with Angel's back pushing through. He was dragging something heavy, and when he turned around, the bloodied face of Ethan Rayne was visible. He was gagged with the torn sleeve of his dazzling silver shirt. Angel shoved him further into the center of the room, and he hit the floor hard on his side.

"Rayne." Giles' voice dropped to a dangerous level.

Must be 'round four by now. Faith's leather jacket was tightly wrapped around her, protecting her from the cool January breeze, and Willow's incoming onslaught. She stood before the heavy door to their apartment, and Faith went over her own defense of attacking Tara, yelling, and being an overall, stubborn bitch. But she did have reasons. Damn good ones, too.

She unlocked the door, and shouldered her way into the darkness of their living room.

Silence.

But this silence carried weight.

So much weight, her Slayer strength was wavering underneath the pressure of it. Because there, in the darkness, Willow sat. She was perched on the couch, awake and alert. Damn...

Faith kept her gaze trained on Willow while depositing the strapped knife from her calf, and the splintering stake from her backside onto the table. The disarming of weapons made the atmosphere turn, as if she were about to enter a fight better left to fists. She stood straight, and Willow barely budged. Both eyes were shrouded in darkness until Faith's fingertips burned at the click of a nearby lamp. Steady brown eyes trained on Willow's firing green.

The next three minutes were a blur of anger. Faith could practically see the shouted statements hanging in the air, attached in cartoon bubbles, but she couldn't decipher which mouth they were coming from.

"I can't just sit around!"

"You have no right!"

"We're supposed to help people!"

"We're supposed to be a team!"

"How could you say that!?"

"Why won't you listen!?"

"Well, you could try!"

"Listen to me!!"

"I'm just trying to help you!!"

"Well, who should I trust!?!?"

By the time the yelling had crescendoed into the unknown, Willow was literally in Faith's personal space. But then, as suddenly as the shouting had started, it stopped.

Silence.

All that was left, was blinking. The thin skin of Faith's eyelids was the only separation between complete darkness and the illumination of street lamps through the curtains and a 60 watt light bulb.

Dark.

Flash.

Dark.

Flash.

Dark.

Flash.

Dark.

Dark.

Dark.

Dark.

"Faith?"

Dark.

Dark.

Not now. Not now.

Dark.

"Faith, talk to me."

Dark.

From eye to eyelash, from eyelash to cheek, from cheek to chin, from chin to floor.

Dark.

"Please."

A deep breath was taken and she sniffled through her nose. Some of the trails of tickling tears were starting to dry and itch. They were the cause of the silence. Goddamn it! I wasn't gonna do this shit anymore. This was the second time Faith had ever cried in front of Willow. Her jacket felt heavy, her boots felt heavy, her breaths felt heavy, Willow's eyes on her felt heavy, and the memory was heavy.

Dark.

Dark.

Flash.

Ethan was tied to one of the sturdy library chairs, and Giles, Willow, Oz, and Angel circled him. After the initial shock of what Angel had dragged into the room, Giles ordered Xander to take the frightened Buffy away somewhere safe. He argued with Willow to stay away as well, but she argued right back. If Giles' wasn't so eager to get his fists on his old friend, he probably never would have let her win the argument.

Giles stepped closer to his old friend and peered down at him with disgust, "You're a lying bastard. I'm not even going to ask what you're doing back here..."

Faith eyed the guy up and down from her position leaning on the cage. Ethan Rayne seemed slimy, like one of her mom's old boyfriends. Even his name felt like grease on her tongue. Ella stood next to her and looked interested in the man but there was a glimmer of fear laced in her expression. Faith didn't quite understand; she could easily pummel the guy into nothing with just one punch.

"...you're going to reverse it..."

Faith saw Ella look at her from the corner of her eye and felt the tug on her wrist.
Now!? Just when it's gettin' good... Ella walked towards the main doors and away from the group, and Faith had no choice but to follow her Watcher into the hallway. Once out of hearing distance, Faith let her have it, "What the fuck, El? You better have somethin' good to say. You just pulled me outta some big ass shit in there, so make it snappy, will ya?"

"Faith, I know right now you think that man in there is as strong as... well, Rupert, but you need to understand that he isn't as weak as you think." Faith opened her mouth to protest but closed it with realization. Ella was anything but fake. She was sarcastic and could be just as crude as Faith at times, but she was not a liar.

"Okay, dangerous. Got it." She turned to get back to the action, but felt another tug.

"Faith, stop. Think."

She sighed impatiently instead.

Ella didn't give up, "Do you believe a weak man can get away with ruining the lives of dozens of people? Tear families apart by having their demon children placed into the hands of an untrustworthy government project, place people's minds back in time, turn the girl I know you want for a best friend into something that is not?"

"No." She understood clearly what Ella was getting at. As the Slayer, she needed to be the level head. The others were too close to the situation and escalate it into badness. But... "And I do not want that chick as my friend, she's..."

Ella just looked at her with that look; the one that said Faith was talking out her ass.

"Whatev, I'm goin' back in."

They both re-entered the library to find Angel's hands placed around Ethan's head. With one smooth movement from the vampire, Ethan's neck would snap. "Now you're going to fix it, and if you don't," Angel's grip tightened. Ethan's eyes winced and a whimper came from beneath the satin cloth in his mouth. "Got it?" Ethan's head nodded within its constraints. His eyes followed Giles' hands as they roughly pulled the gag from his mouth.

Faith expected his first words to be English. She was wrong. His eyes quickly slid from the unseen hand on his brow to Oz, "Ostendo monasteriense brevis."

"Wi-" Oz hunched his back and his breaths came in gasps. His eyes were glowing purple. Faith noticed the familiar sight of fur grown on the backs of his hands. He looked up towards Willow with black eyes and extended fangs. "What's... why-" Another shift in his bone structure cracked through his pained body, and he hunched further.

"Giles!" Willow's panicked voice.

Faith acted and turned to push Oz into the cage, but it was locked. She could have pried it open with her own strength, but it would defeat the purpose of trapping the rapidly changing werewolf. "Giles!"

Giles wasn't responding.

"Giles! Where's the keys!?"

His face was trained on Angel. Faith followed his line of sight and noticed Angel letting go of Ethan's head. Faith pivoted her attention to her Watcher and saw Ella's expression filled with full, shocked fear. She then heard the cruel and insane chuckle coming deep from within Angel's throat. Giles' whisper answered her question, "Angelus."

The laugh was sickening, and his hands slapped down on Ethan's shoulders good-naturedly as he looked toward everyone in the room, "Well, I must say," Angelus' face morphed into vampiric form and he ran his tongue slowly over his fangs from left to right, "it's been a long journey, and boy, am I starved."

Oz was kneeling on top of ripped clothing. His growl prevented Faith from dealing with the maniacal vampire. Willow was quick with the information, "He's let their demons out!"

Oz leaped with force, and they scuffled along the linoleum. His movements were frantic and surging with strength. His claws scraped into her legs. "Oh, really, Red? Didn't notice."

"Oohoohoohoo, down doggy!" Angelus laughed. He looked down at the man seated in the chair before him. "Does doggy wanna treat?" His grip dug into Ethan's shoulders and rocked the chair from side to side. Its hard legs clacked on the floor. Angelus' sight traveled to the older, voluptuous woman standing by the cage, "I know I do."

Willow had moved through the metal links of the library cage to search for the tranquilizer gun. It leaned against the back corner. "Giles! Help me. I can't get it!!" Just then, Faith threw the werewolf towards the ghost in the cage. Willow un-purposefully ducked. The metal rattled as he bounced off the cage, causing vibrations to travel through everyone's skin but hers.

Giles finally snapped out of it and searched his pockets for the keys but was interrupted by Angelus holding a rather heavy chemistry book, "Hey Ripper, a little light reading?" The book slammed into his head so hard it opened the skin on his forehead. A deep dark trickle spilled onto his glasses and Giles dropped to the ground unconscious.

"Giles!"

Faith had left Oz, where he landed on on the upper level of the library, buried beneath fallen books, as she went for Angel. She had only gotten a few blocked hits at him when Ella screamed. She dropped her guard for a brief moment, long enough to get punched straight in the nose. Liquid warmth spilled over her thick lips and the flavor of copper covered her taste-buds.

"Mmm, Slayer's blood-" Angelus sniffed at the his bloodied fingers, "Now no offense, but if I want a Slayer, I'll take Buffy. I mean, we all know she's clean and pure. And innocent." He shoved Faith aside with a sucker punch, "Who knows where you've been." Ella had been searching for the keys in Giles' pocket, but was attacked by Oz when she pulled them out. They skittered across the floor to where Angelus started walking, out on his search for Buffy. He smiled when he felt them crunch under his foot and turned to watch them all struggle.

Ella's cries filled the air as one of her bones snapped, and Willow called out, "Faith! I can't get him off her!"

Faith looked to see the hairy beast mauling at her Watcher, her friend, her guardian, her family. She ran to them and grabbed at Oz's shoulders, trying to pull him off of Ella. She didn't even think about the repercussions of Ella being bit by the werewolf. All she saw were tears in her flesh. It would have been so much easier if she could just kill Oz. One less demon to worry about, but she knew she couldn't.

Angel turned is eyes to see Ella lying on the floor, brined in fear, "Guess I could use a snack to tide me over," He threw Faith and then Oz off of the bleeding Watcher. Oz landed near the table, but Faith fell awkwardly onto an empty chair near the main desk. It tipped beneath her weight, and her back crashed into sharp, uneven edges. Faith grunted in pain. She awkwardly moved her body into a kneeling position, only to be pushed face-first to the floor with the weight of a werewolf who just wouldn't give up. Pre-occupied with not dying, all Faith could do was listen to the words being spoken ten feet away.

"Angel, please! You don't want to do this."

"Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. What a shame it is that I can't touch you. Oh Willow," his voice lowered, "I bet you'd taste so sweet." Faith could hear his steady footsteps as she held Oz's snapping jaw from her face. She knew he was getting close to his target, but Willow was standing in his way. Ella wasn't moving or making any sound. She must have been in too much pain to do either. "Are you going to be a good little ghost and step aside?" There was a break in his steps. "You know you can't stop me, Willow."

When Oz slashed at her side, Faith turned her head and saw Angel look Willow up and down with a leer. He stepped close, whispering in her ear, "You're nothing," and walked right through her.

Faith didn't have time to focus on Willow's heartbroken face as Angelus leaned down and grabbed Ella's hair, pulling her into a sitting position near the cage. She let out a whimper, and Faith growled with the weight of Oz on her. By the time she finally threw him off, the sound of slurping was already present. Angelus' fangs were deep in her Watcher's throat. His cold eyes looked to Faith with amusement while Ella's closed. He wasn't taking his time; he had been starved for over one hundred years. Starved for human blood and human pain. He jerked his head, taring at her throat even more. Faith ran to him, slipping on her own spilled blood when she noticed his eyes glow and shift to purple for a second.

The spell had been brief, not permanent. She knew this from the look of agony on Angel's face. He held Ella, cold and lifeless in his arms. The sound of Oz changing back into himself resonated in the background, but all Faith could see was the blurred image of death. When she reached Angel, he had already laid Ella softly to the floor. He turned his head, "Fai-"

The sound of his head punching against the cage mixed with the agonizing cries from Faith lasted for over ten minutes. By the time she could no longer feel her entire arm, Angel's face was unrecognizable. He let her beat the shit out of him and would most likely let her do it again and again. She felt a hand on her shaking shoulder and grabbed at it, nearly ripping the person down onto the floor. Giles' face held an expression that was indescribable. She looked up at him and silently something passed between them. Through his uncovered eyes, she could see she still had family that cared. Now that Ella, a better mother than her own biological one, was gone... she still had a father, and he kneeled down to cradle her from behind as she cried.

A long time passed before she settled to a whimper. Oz was dressed in a gym uniform, "Uh, where's Ethan?" All of them save for Angel, who couldn't see through his swollen eyes, could see the chair Faith had painfully fallen onto in the middle of the floor, tipped and empty. Rope was still circling its back.

Ethan Rayne was gone.

Oz crossed Faith's line of vision and walked toward the entrance to the library. He then backed up to the stairs and into the stacks. His steps wandered for minutes until he came back out and perched himself at the balcony, "Where's Willow?"

Willow backed up and sat down on the couch and patted it without the sound of the cushion's resistance. Faith had no choice but to follow. She avoided facing her friend. She smeared the tears on her face with the sleeves of her leather jacket; a gift from her first Watcher. Ella didn't think denim was tough enough for her Slayer, and Faith finally got to open that missing, belated, birthday present she never would have recieved from her real mom.

Willow tried to position her body in a way that was encouraging and she spoke with a soft voice, "I don't want to see one yawn come out of your mouth before you tell me what's up."

Faith had to smile at that. Willow knew her tricks. She also knew how to make her feel comfortable. "Okay," she looked at Willow, "How can you just trust her?" Willow opened her mouth to respond, but Faith wasn't finished, "I mean, don't get me wrong, but your friends have never had the best track records. And... I just. I can't-" she let out a sigh. "I'm not just gonna sit back and watch anyone else get hurt."

Willow took the pause, "I know you think Tara's dangerous, but-"

"She said she was a demon, Will."

"But-"

"Demon friends? Not always friendly." Willow thought it over, and Faith went on, "I won't have a demon around me, us, if Ethan is back in the mix. I can't do it, not again."

Willow nodded in complete understanding, "Okay, but you can't just eliminate someone on the suspicion that they could possibly and hypothetically harm us in the future. If that was the case then I'm not even sure I would be safe from elimination, or you for that matter! "

Faith chuckled, "Us? Nah, we're not the evil types. Cordelia, maybe, but we're the good guys."

"But you see what I'm getting at?"

"That I went completely psycho and need to take a pill?"

"Well, yeah." Willow smiled, "Giles performed a spell to see whether she is or is not in fact a demon. We should know by tomorrow morning."

"Shit. She did look terrified, didn't she. The other night, I mean. Today too." Faith leaned forward on her knees and pushed her long dark hair back with her fingers. "I have a strong feeling she's gonna freak, no matter what the outcome is."

"Yeah... but you know what might help when we see her tomorrow?"

"Ice-cream?"

"No."

"A consoling pat on the back?"

"No."

"If I say sorry for being a freak, and tell her we're there for her even if she could quite possibly have the demon power to kill us all with one sneeze?"

"A sneeze?"

"It could be deadly. Or at least paralyzing or somethin'."

"Well the the apology is right and the demon part... well, close enough." Willow paused with her mouth open, "Wait, what kind of demon is she supposed to be? She never said."

Faith shrugged and started to get up, "Ask her tomorrow. I'm tired." Faith unzipped her jacket and stretched. She looked at Willow, who still sat smiling on the couch. Aw, shit.

Willow just grinned and nodded her head slowly, "Not so fast, lady! The Official Hug-Count has gone up!"

Faith huffed, "Damn. That whole cry-thing probably jacked it up pretty high, I'm guessin'."

"Oh yeah, big time." Willow had started the Hug-Count over a year before, when after one night after deep talking, she had realized she'd have to save her hugs for when she actually had real arms to hug with. It was a way for her to hope for the time when the spell would be reversed, and most importantly a way to piss Faith off. She had a mental tally that would never be forgotten. If the spell was broken, Willow knew she wouldn't be able to give all her hugs at once. That would be creepy. So instead, she told Faith that she'd be getting them sporadically, probably for the rest of her life. That was a statement that made Faith cringe.

"Well, shit," Faith turned her back and started walking toward her bedroom.

"You're so getting three, big, huge, long, comforting, fantastical hugs, which brings our hug count up to," she wiggled her fingers and rolled her tongue to build up the total, "One hundred and fifty-six hugs! Ta-daa!!"

A groan came from inside Faith's slammed door.

End Chapter Ten - I am so sick of looking at this chapter, errors be damned!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:19 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Hello!

I'm so glad you updated, I really love this story!
This chapter was very interesting, there were many things I wanted to know about that past and the way the situation had evolved since the spell. Your Ethan is EVIL... That was horrible, releasing Angelus and the werewolf. And I loved Ella's character, she seemed to be the perfect watcher for Faith... :cry We didn't get Willow's point of view at this moment, but Faith's pain was so palpable...You did a very good job.

And now, I'd really like to see Ethan get what he deserves... :devilish You can take your time, I'm completely hooked up by your story!

Superbus, "Travel the World"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:07 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

wow! that update was really gripping. and so much back story filled in.

that was a truly evil spell Ethan pulled - not only for the damage done in that moment, but for the guilt and pain that both Oz and Angel would carry afterward and the effect on the relationships of all those in the group.

can't wait for more. I really want to see a solid Willow again.

Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:10 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hi there! Glad to see you back.

And wow, you sure did give us a lot of info here. Well, we did know Ethan was evil, but here he's just super-uber EVIL. Now we understand why Faith went so ballistic, and I can't say as I blame her. But they did pose a good question about the type of demon Tara might possibly be, if indeed she is. We know what happened in the show, but I'm very curious to see your twist on things.

Thanks for the update. More soon please.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:38 pm 
3. Flaming O

I really like this story. Its so diffrent from everything else that I've read, its intriging. I can't wait to see where you go with this story.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:26 am 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

uhm joined a bit late....
wonder where will be this 'first touch'....
lovin' this fic

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:32 am 
3. Flaming O

Have to step in and pray that you don't get shy too often anymore. Honestly, your concept is great. It's really genuinely clever and from the moment I started reading this fic I thought it was fantastic. Don't stop. Don't be shy. It's really fun, and great idea, and I'm looking forward to you updating again.

(More Tara in the next update, okay?!? Just for my poor soul?)

M.

There's some more of my stuff over here: http://bonmot507.livejournal.com/

viewtopic.php?t=4929

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:13 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Wow. Now there's some background on why Faith reacted so strongly both to Rayne and to the thought that Tara might have some demon. Well written.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:07 pm 
3. Flaming O

Halo - Hey, I'm glad I got to fill in some gaps on what's happened in the past. I liked Ella too. I wanted a Watcher that wouldn't put up with Faith's crap. And I wouldn't be too worried, because you're probably bound to read a little more about her as I delve back into the the past again. Thanks for the compliments and I'll try not to take as long with the next update!

spells42 - You bring up a very good point about how Oz and Angel are gonna deal with what's happened. Everyone is going to have a lot of struggling to get through and I actually can't wait to write it. Is that morbid? Nah... it just makes the thought of a possible, solid Willow much more rewarding!

Wimpy - I did give a lot of info away, didn't I? Well I thought it was about time I threw all my readers a bone, I guess! Tara's demon thing was kind of a wrench in my whole plan. I didn't actually think about it until I realized that in order to stay in canon, it needed to be fixed as quickly as possible. I just wanted her to figure it out, move on and voila! no demon plot-line. But as I got into it, I felt like it would be a cop-out to just flash through it. Next chapter is going go into it the deepest I think, but the whole fiasco will still linger, unlike the show where they seemed to forget about it... but for the metaphors they were going for on the show, I think the writers did a good thing on leaving the 'demon' behind.

em317 - You said my story is different than the others you've read, and that is, like, the best compliment ever! I still struggle to avoid W/T fic cliches, but I'm sure you can find them! I really wanted to give something different than I've read so far. Some of the stories, while wonderful just for existing, tend to copy plots and situations. I'm trying to take the show and change it around so it's something new that you haven't seen or read. And if I repeat a line from the show, it's written in different context or a different situation. So thanks for your compliment, it means a lot.

jay/wt4evr - Thanks for reading my story! I'm only giving one hint about the 'first touch' - it will happen in Sunnydale.

chance - Thank you, thank you, oh, and thanks! I like my fic too. Sometimes I just want to look on the board and see it updated so I can read the next chapter too. That's the strange thing about writing, there's all that.. writing involved! I'm gonna try my hardest to keep up and I actually feel pretty guilty for staying away so long. Oh and, between you and me, you can count on more Tara for the next chapter!

JustSkipIt - Yeah I knew Faith's freak out was gonna be confusing. When I was writing chapter nine I was telling dlline that it felt like I was making a cake, and knew that I would eventually have to clean up the mess. It's taken a while to clean up, but hopefully chapter 10 left it sparkling... with a few crumbs left under the rug just for curiosity's sake. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:21 pm 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

now now, that's just mean.
you told me where on EARTH but no where on BODY!!!

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:49 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

It was enlightening to find out a bit more about the history of the friendship and relationships that Faith has with the Scoobies, particularly Willow. It did seem a little extreme (Faith's reaction to Tara) but after reading the last update it makes a little more sense now.

Keep up the great writing! :D

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:47 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I agree with the others: your style is captivating, your writing is impeccable, you have a fantastic turn of phrase, and you definitely do not need to worry about being somehow a lesser writer than others here on the KB. I loved this update, how it provided so much background, and more depth into Faith's character.

I only wish there was more Tara in it. Oh, well. More updates are coming, right?

I am really so glad you had a chance to continue this. Please, please keep writing. I want to see what happens.

Thank you so much.

Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:11 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey everyone! I've been working on my latest chapter, but since my computer is out of commision and currently in the hands of Applecare, I haven't been able to write it out, yet. (which has kinda convinced me to write a short fluffy story about Willow fixing Tara's computer. I know, I know, a bit cliche but if the shoe fits...!)

Okay, I hope to get the next chapter up as soon as I can so no one has to re-read the whole story to remember what the hell was going on in the first place. Don't you hate that?

LittleBit- Glad you liked my last chapter from Faith's perspective. There will be more later on how Faith and Willow's friendship actually progressed into something resembling more than mere tolerance in the chapters to come.

Tara the Pheonix- Thank you for the compliments. It's a bit silly to procrastinate because of fear of failing, but I'm trying to break out of it in all aspects of my life. Writing this story was kind of my first step into doing that, and I'm gonna keep updating as frequently as I can to accomplish this goal.
I'm glad you liked the last chapter, and you can count on plenty of Tara in the next!

Post subject: comment
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:25 pm 
3. Flaming O

Quote:
"One hundred and fifty-six hugs! Ta-daa!!"

too cute for words.. :smash

hey just read your story and thought it was refreshing to see a fic that could break away from the oz-thing-hangoover between willow and tara relationship.

(i remember him noticing her for the second time during that ep. "who is that girl?!")

one can clearly conclude that oz, might like willow but willow doesnt fancy him here..or does he?

keep writing please. and dont even stop for obvious typo's! my brain can totally auto-correct it. hehe ;-)

i have a bad habit of bumping up old stories...
shameless self-promotion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:41 pm 
5. Willowhand

First Touch?

Yes, katjetson, this is First Touch.

I wanted to, uhm... tell you something.

What's that?

{{shuffle kick}}

I miss you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next