The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Catching Sunflowers In Bloom
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:18 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Over the past few months, I have been trying to read this story from front to back and I now just read the last of your updates. Everyone has already complimented you on a fantastic story with tons of love and compassion and good and bad... All I know is that you are a very talented person and I am really glad that I have read this fic. So, with all my babbling out the way, WOOHOO!!!!! I'm totally in love with this story. And BTW, love the banner. Rosella is truely an artist. Anyhoo, great update, great story, awesome work. Hope to see more soon. Take care. Smiles. =)

"I've always believed it doesn't matter who you sleep with. What's important is how you treat people." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:12 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Hey! Nice art! I see it now, fics are going to start having covers and banners, just to attract kittens with pretty colors. Are cats color blind? Okay, I forgot to add something on my previous response. Donny having those songs in his head reminded me of an article I read in the New York Times. It wazs talking about a different kind of auditory halucinations (sp?) . What the people hear is music. Complete songs at all times play at random through their heads, any song that they have heard in their lifetime, even if they didn't necessarily ever learn the music, everything they have heard is played in its entirety, from church music, to pop music, to lullibies they heard as children. It has been found to be caused by dimensia (caused by illness, tragedy, or age), hearing loss, and after experiencing an accident. Really interesting... Okay, I'm done spurting random, useless knowledge. Sorry for the spelling, it's my big weakness, always has been. I usually have MS Word open so I can spell check everything, but it's not loving me today, and will not open. So, no I look like an idiot. It's okay, cuz ya can't see me, so, I'm an imaginary idiot! :confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:09 am 
16. Pancakes in Bellies

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I'm a little early ...I know but the first thing I did was switch on the kitten and check on all of your stories....and I'm in :shock no update... well bad kitty...Bad Bad kitty..... or is it good good kitty because now I didn't miss a thing woooohoooo ummmm Em when is the next update :?:

ps nice new banner.... wooohooo :clap :clap for petal of roses

Hen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:14 am 
5. Willowhand

hey there you..sorry I havent been replying but been having computer problems as of late.But here I am telling you that though I have been unable to leave feedback I have been reading it and loving it very much. No surprise its gotten better as you go deeper into it.keep it up babe.You have a fan in me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:24 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Hi everyone! I just thought I'd get caught up on replies. I appreciate you all so much! Enjoy your evening. :-D :x
SallyMcFine

Quote:
I, too, wonder why Donny is going to Texas. What's in Texas? I guess it's close to Oklahoma and there are probably more economic opportunities there. Is he going to get a job working on some kind of farm or something?

I don't think he's thought it through that far yet. I think his agenda right now is pretty much to get the hell out of there. :lol Maybe he's always wanted to go to Texas. :| I should probably address that huh? :blush

Quote:
I guess it wouldn't have made sense for him to go with Tara and Willow to California either, but then again, they're the only family each other has (who they're on speaking terms with).

Yes but, I really didn't see their paths taking the same direction. Donny has a need to be out on his own and experience life for himself, something just wouldn't seem right, having Donny tag along behind Tara.

Quote:
I can't imagine what it must be like for Tara, at age 18, to be bidding her family goodbye and moving away from the only home she has ever known. Even though she and Willow are clearly very confident in their love for each other, it still must be unnerving to some extent. Although she's had to say goodbye to her family in stages anyway, with her mother's death and her father's abdication. Sigh!

yes, you are right, and I'm sure that we will see a part of that unnerving in the next few chapter to come. :|

Kaia

Quote:
OMG...
What a beautiful update.
So full of emotion, so tangible. It's really refreshing to see Donny being so nice and actually like him.
Amazingly written, the little hairs on my arm are still standing.
Thank you.

awwe, thank you so much sweetie. I'm so glad you are enjoying the story and that you like Donny...I really wanted him to be a good guy. :flower

Tarababy77

Quote:
Over the past few months, I have been trying to read this story from front to back and I now just read the last of your updates. Everyone has already complimented you on a fantastic story with tons of love and compassion and good and bad... All I know is that you are a very talented person and I am really glad that I have read this fic.

Thank you so much Aaron, I don't think you know how much your kind words have touched me. And I'm so very glad that you decided to read....thank you thank you thank you. :-D

Quote:
And BTW, love the banner. Rosella is truely an artist. Anyhoo, great update, great story, awesome work. Hope to see more soon.

I agree, Rosella is quite the wonderful artist. I just love her eye for color and the banner is spectacular! hehe.

singgirl

Quote:
I forgot to add something on my previous response. Donny having those songs in his head reminded me of an article I read in the New York Times. It wazs talking about a different kind of auditory halucinations (sp?) . What the people hear is music. Complete songs at all times play at random through their heads, any song that they have heard in their lifetime, even if they didn't necessarily ever learn the music, everything they have heard is played in its entirety, from church music, to pop music, to lullibies they heard as children. It has been found to be caused by dimensia (caused by illness, tragedy, or age), hearing loss, and after experiencing an accident. Really interesting...

that is interesting....and kinda creepy at the same time. :eyebrow
Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Okay, I'm done spurting random, useless knowledge. Sorry for the spelling, it's my big weakness, always has been. I usually have MS Word open so I can spell check everything, but it's not loving me today, and will not open. So, no I look like an idiot. It's okay, cuz ya can't see me, so, I'm an imaginary idiot!

Oh Pfft, you are not an idiot, imaginary or otherwise. I suck at spelling too, and it's worse since I don't have a writing program that can run a spell check. So, I guess as a consequence, I'm less self-conscious about the spelling mistakes I make. :-D Maybe that's a good thing huh? :glasses

Henster!! :applause

Quote:
I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I'm a little early ...I know but the first thing I did was switch on the kitten and check on all of your stories....and I'm in no update... well bad kitty...Bad Bad kitty..... or is it good good kitty because now I didn't miss a thing woooohoooo ummmm Em when is the next update

I'm such a naughty kitten for not posting an update for you! NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY! :-D

willohand

Quote:
hey there you..sorry I havent been replying but been having computer problems as of late.But here I am telling you that though I have been unable to leave feedback I have been reading it and loving it very much. No surprise its gotten better as you go deeper into it.keep it up babe.You have a fan in me.

Computer problems suck! believe me, I know. I've had my fair share of them. hehe.

I was kinda wondering where you had gotten yourself off too, but I'm glad you're back. So Yay! Thanks for the feedback sweetie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:14 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Hi everyone. Just a quick note to let you know where I am with regard to the next update. I'm working on it right now and it should be ready to post in a couple days.

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:18 am 
8. Vixen

I'm sure we are all patiently waiting...I know I am. :bounce

K.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:57 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know! Now I have more to look forward to at work! *hugga*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:28 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Hi Everyone. I just finished writing the update and I've sent it out to be beta'd, so you all shouldn't have to wait too much longer for the update. :-D

Kaia and singgirl thanks for your support. :-D

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:49 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Here's the update. There will be one more chapter after this which will be kind of like an Epilogue.

Note: Thanks to Carleen for beta'ing and for leaving and highlighting (in bright colors) all the corrections she made in the copy returned to me so that I could see them and feel sad about how crappy my grammar really is :lol Thanks bunches Carr....you're the best! :lol

I hope you all like it.

All Disclaimers Apply.

The rest of the summer had passed by quickly, neither girl was worrying too much about doing any more work on the farm as they had somehow managed to lose their enthusiasm for manual labor. So instead they spent the long, hot days soaking in the nearby stream or going for long drives into the deep country side, taking in the sight of birds flocking from one field to the next or the cows grazing lazily in the pastures

Willow remembered a time when the sight of a lonely cow had made her angry. -- Angry with her father for driving her on that stupid trip and angry at with herself for not caring to spend time with the man. But that had been a long time ago and now Willow couldn't have been more grateful to the man for caring enough to force her to go with him that fateful summer day.

Kerri, who had spent the first few weeks after Donny left moping around, even seemed to be back to her old, rambunctious self and had been spending most of her time with the two of them. They tried to take Miss Kitty Fantastico with them on a couple of excursions but neither time had ended well and they had to come to the conclusion that the kitten was happier at home napping in a bit of sun

Even though there was a lightness to their days, Willow could sense a quiet sadness within Tara in the weeks after her brother's departure. Willow knew that Tara and Donny had grown close over the last few years and Tara was going to miss him.

They had seen Donny off with two suitcases and a one-way ticket out of Cullison. They had watched his bus pull away from the station. It was headed to Houston, Texas where Donny said he would stay with relatives until he could get a job and a place of his own. Tara said later on that night as they drove back to the farm that Donny told her he would write to them, but not to worry if they didn't receive a letter right away because he didn't know yet if he was any good at correspondence. Then she told Willow that she had given Willow's parents address to Donny and hoped that that had been okay. It was.

Many things transpired in the days before Tara and Willow were to leave for California. The major happening being that Tara's father came back to the farm.

"Dad?" Tara had come around the side of the house intending to collect the blackberry-picking bucket she had left out there the other day and was unprepared to see her father standing there on the back porch.

The man's arms were folded and small lines at the corners of each eye creased together as he squinted through the bright sunlight to peer out at the mass of golden-toped sunflowers swaying and rippling in the summer air.

Her father's lips were set firm in a grim line as he stared out absently at the awakened sunflower field. But he said nothing to her. Tara thought that he hadn't heard her speaking to him and was about to repeat herself when she heard her father's gruff voice.

"You do this?" He spoke blankly, his voice gruff and stony. He didn't look at her, or acknowledge her presence with anything other than those briefly spoken words. Tara couldn't really read between the lines of his words. She wasn't sure if he was angry because he suspected she had used magic or if was asking her if…But he was speaking again, and had not waited for a response from Tara.

"I suppose Donny told you about the situation?"

When Tara didn't answer the man spoke again.

"I never meant for any of this to happen."

"I know...." The truth was, that Tara didn't know what her father had intended or not intended to happen, but she felt the need to tell him what she felt he needed to hear.

"I loved your mother. I did."

"I know..." Tara said again. It seemed like the only thing she could say. Tara didn't know what to do. Physical closeness had never been a part of their dynamic so a hand to the shoulder was out of the question, and she didn't trust herself to speak without stammering in front of the man.

"You're the only one I have left Tara. I know I've been hard on you...I just never knew what it took to raise a girl...I guess I still don't."

Soon after that, Tara made the decision to stay with her dad for a while longer, to make sure that he was taken care of. They decided that Willow would go back to California alone and Tara would follow when the time was right.

Tara sat down on the bed. She didn't know what to say to Willow as the redhead gently pulled clothes from the drawer and placed them neatly in her duffle bag. She didn't think she could look Willow in the eyes and not cry.

When she told Willow that she couldn't go with her just yet, Willow had taken it fairly well. There had been tears and hugs. A general melancholy had settled across them, flavoring everything they said and did for the next couple of days; but that had lifted and they had been just getting back to some semblance of normal when the time had come for Willow to pack up her things in preparation to leave.

They spent nights holding each other listening to the owls hoot out calls to far away lovers as they sat on their tree branch homes. And to the sound of crickets strumming beautiful melodies with their goddess-given instruments. On occasion fireflies would converge just outside their window and entertain them with intricate formations, their glowing bodies bleeping in and out of existence with the light breeze that blew blessedly through the open window. This night was a little different however ; it was going to be their last because Willow was heading back to California in the Morning.

"Willow…..I…" Tara wanted to say something as Willow folded yet another shirt. They seemed to be using silence as a sort of buffer against any type of emotion that might make the reality of their situation come to life. Willow stopped Tara with a kiss on the lips -and a small smile before she went back to folding clothes and placing them in the bag. Tara bit her bottom lip, examining her not-so-neatly trimmed nails. She knew Willow didn't want to talk about what would happen in the morning, but Tara needed to…there were things she wanted to tell Willow that she didn't want to leave until their last moment together.

"Why do flies always know just where to buzz you to be the most annoying?" Willow swatted at one such beast as she spoke, stopping it momentarily, but not long enough to breathe a sigh of relief. Willow regarded Tara out of the corner of her eye. She could tell that Tara wanted to talk, but Willow didn't think she could do that without crying. It was hard enough to keep it together while trying to pack up her belongings.

The night passed by quickly. Neither girl could bring herself to close her eyes so neither of them had gotten very much sleep. And even though they had prayed silently throughout the night that all their problems would somehow have magically disappeared upon waking, dawn still came, finding them in the same boat as the night before, still wishing things could have been different.

"Don't cry okay…." Willow held Tara in her arms, the woman lightly sniffling against her shoulder. Willow caressed Tara's long blonde hair until her fingers became tangled and she could no longer move them. Tara's face, wet with tears was pressed against the skin of Willow's neck. They held each other so tightly that it was a wonder that either girl was breathing. Willow leaned back against the long wooden bench taking Tara with her. Willow's back butting up against its hard surface. She felt like her life was coming to an end, that even though her body would go forward and continue functioning, her heart might not. How could she leave Tara there, how could she get into her car and drive away? All these questions pounded heavily in Willow's mind as she fought to keep her hold on Tara's soft body flexible.

Tara took a deep breath, breathing in and out steadily. Why hadn't she just told her father of her plans to leave? It would have been so easy to come out and say it. But she hadn't. Tara had sensed something in her father's presence that sealed her lips on the subject. Had it been need? Tara squeezed her eyes tightly shut and bit her tongue from cursing the man for having returned at all. Tara didn't want to stay, but did she have the courage to leave with Willow when the time came? Tara didn't know. She had never gone against her father's wishes before and it seemed as though even as an adult she still felt the need to follow instruction.

Willow pulled back slightly, until their foreheads touched. Each girl focused on the other's nose while they tried to get their breathing under control. Willow could hardly see through the unshed tears that pooled in her eyes. She kissed Tara's cheek lightly, before wrapping her arms around the blonde again and pressing her face into Tara's silky blonde hair. "I love you so much Tara." Willow said, her eyes now shut as she whispered into Tara's ear.

"Darling…." Tara said, a shiver going through her body as the sensations of Willow's breathily spoken words skirted across the delicate skin of her ear.

Willow reverently closed the door to the trunk, her modest duffle bag stuffed inside. She looked back toward the barn and made her eyes focus on its tall form. Behind it's massive wooden door, she knew her lover lay across the bed they had shared. She wondered if Tara was still crying. She thought about returning and putting her arms around Tara one last time, but couldn't bring herself to do so. Willow knew in her heart that if she went back, even for a moment, she wouldn't leave. And she had to leave right? She had to fulfill her promise and attend college like she said that she would….

Tara fell down across the bed. Tears running down her cheeks, like little rivers. She could feel the bedspread that still smelled of Willow as her tears grew wet against her face. What was she doing? Why was she sacrificing her own happiness for a man that never even showed the slightest care or concern for her needs? Why should she let her father guilt her into remaining there? If he chose to stay that was his business, but Tara wouldn't. Determined, Tara got up off the bed, her pity-party came to an end as she set foot on the ladder. She would tell her father exactly how she felt and that she intended to leave for California the following morning.

Tara heard the sounds of thunder rumble low, she paused counting the seconds until the flash of lightening was seen from the barn window. The lightening was followed by the sound of rain as it splashed onto the window, the slapping sound of water against glass making a harsh echo in the still night air. Kerri was barking somewhere outside, but Tara knew that the dog had enough sense to come in out of the approaching storm, so she wasn't too worried for the animal's safety. Miss Kitty, who had been laying curled up in a tight ball of fur, pricked her ears up at the noisy interruption of her peaceful slumber, her eyes squinted in the dim light of sunrise.

Tara felt the wood splinter beneath her brown lace-up boots as she once again began her descent down the stairs. Tara heard the loft creak uneasily as she descended the final rungs. Her heart was beating fast, but she felt oddly at peace, having made up her mind that this was the right course of action. She loved Willow too much to be separated from her again. And that was that.

Tara felt her hand on the cool wood of the barn door, it was opened just a crack but that was enough to let the rainy mist seep in around the edge of the door. Tara felt the cool moisture on the back of her hand as she pushed the door open the rest of the way.

Tara would have liked to have been able to say that she was surprised when she opened the door and found Willow standing in the rain, soaked to the skin and waiting for Tara on the other side. She wasn't surprised. The emotion Tara felt at the sight of Willow far surpassed any amount of surprise she could have ever felt. They came together, their bodies crushing in a frantic attempt to become one.

"I couldn't leave you again, Tara." Willow wrapped her arms tightly around Tara's waist, practically lifting the girl up and off her feet. They kissed passionately and then reverently.

"Come on…." Tara said, shaking Willow from the sound sleep she'd been in. Willow rubbed her eyes and her mouth hung sleepily in a downward pout.

"Go where Tare…? It's too early for chores…no more chores….kay?" Willow said sleepily. She smiled dreamily as she tried to put her head back onto the pillow but Tara was already pulling her to her feet.

"No chores Will. We need to get out of here."

"What?" Willow was fully awake now and very confused.

"I told him I'm leaving with you today."

"You did what? When? How? Why? Where was I?"

"I told him I'm leaving. This morning. I did it because it was the best thing to do. I realized that I can't keep living my life for other people. I have to do what makes me happy. You were sleeping."

"Oh….." Willow's words trailed off. And then her morning-muffled brain snapped to attention. "OH!" She said excitedly. "Are you sure?" Willow took Tara's hands, holding her lover's delicate fingers in the space between their bodies.

Tara nodded, feeling confident in her decision. She traced her finger along Willow's lightly freckled cheek and smiled.

Willow nearly melted at the sight of Tara's crooked grin. They stared into each other's eyes for a very long moment before Willow took in a cleansing breath and squeezed Tara's hand in hers before letting go.

Willow dressed quickly while Tara threw clothes into a worn suitcase. She opened her drawer and pulled out the box containing all the letters Willow had written her during their separation. It was a sobering moment and Tara felt that a moment of silence was necessary as she placed the box lovingly in the suitcase. Tara took one more glace around the loft. She was ready to do this; she knew this to be true.

Willow scooped up the Miss Kitty and placed her in the back seat of the car. They'd buy her the most luxurious cat carrier on the way. "You're going to be spoiled rotten." Willow spoke to the cat as if she were speaking to a small child. Miss Kitty just looked up at her and curled up on the seat, her paws tucked underneath her body the kitten closed her eyes.

Kerri was close by coming up behind Willow's legs, the dog rubbed against her with his head. Willow motioned for the dog to jump in.

Tara came out of the barn caring her suitcase in one hand and the potted plant that she had planted the day Willow came back to her tucked into the crook of her arm. Tara's hair was tied up in a low hanging pony-tail that allowed her blonde hair to stream down her back. She put on earrings that morning, which was something she rarely did. Autumn was approaching and the morning was still cool so she had thrown on a pair of jeans and a long sleeved shirt. It was baby blue and hugged her just right. Tara could feel the skin of her stomach peeking just below the material and it made her feel sexy. And she wanted to feel sexy, this day was the start of a brand, new life for her and she wanted to start it off right.

Tara watched Willow as the redhead leaned up against the car. Her arms were folded and she wore a pair of sunglasses and a grey, zip-up sweater over top the red tank top she had put on this morning. The sweater was unzipped and Tara could see the red shirt underneath. Willow's small breasts rested gracefully under the cotton of Willow's shirt and Tara could just make out the outline of a nipple as it pressed against the barrier. Tara was so lost in the moment that she didn't hear the front door of the farmhouse open or the boots stomping down the stairs until it was too late. Willow stopped smiling and that had been Tara's first clue that there was something wrong. Tara looked to her left just in time to see her father stalking toward her. His eyes were hard and angry and Tara began to back away. She didn't know what he was going to do. Willow was beside her in an instant, so quick in fact that Tara barely had time to register Willow's movement at all.

Willow's heart raced as she slid her body in between Tara's father and her lover. She didn't know what she was going to have to do…but she knew she would do it if it meant protecting Tara. There was no way that she was going to let anyone hurt her. Willow tensed as the man halted in his tracks.

"Excuse me young lady, I don't know just who you think you are, but I'm going to talk to my daughter."

Tara watched her father speak through gritted teeth, he hadn't shaved that morning and the stubble on his chin could be clearly seen from where Tara stood. She knew she would have to let him say his piece if she was ever going to be free of him. "It's o-okay Will…" Tara put her hand reassuringly on the back of Willow's arm.

Willow looked at Tara's hand on her arm and knew that she would have to let Tara handle this. Willow walked back toward the car, but she kept a careful eye on the situation.

"I'm leaving dad…I'm sorry if you don't agree with that." Tara spoke softly. Her voice trembled but there was strength there.

"Don't do this Tara."

Her father's tone was warning and malicious, but Tara didn't back down. She knew there was nothing more she could say to her father that would ever make things okay with him and she had the wisdom not to try. Tara turned, and started toward the car, her suitcase feeling heavy in her hand. She focused on Willow, watching her lover's green eyes as she walked steadily closer. She didn't know what her father was going to do but Tara let all that go; her only purpose now was to make it to the car. Tara didn't pause when she heard the hard tones of her father's voice behind her.

"If you leave now, don't you ever set foot on this property again."

Tara felt tears in the back of her eyes at her father's words, but she didn't stop moving. Tara didn't look back as she climbed into the passenger seat of Willow's car. She couldn't look back, because she knew that if she did, she would have seen her father standing there in anger, his presence marring the good memories of the farmhouse she so desperately wanted to hang onto.

They traveled west, Tara's head on Willow's shoulder as lazy rock tunes flowed from the radio. Tara was reminded of her brother and the way he always wore shirts supporting his favorite rock groups. She smiled at the thought. They drove down the interstate singing along with the Rolling Stones to the tune of "Wild Horses" -- and regretting nothing. With every mile traveled the past was slipping away from Tara, but she welcomed it with the knowledge that the future could be so much sweeter than the past.

Last edited by Emms on Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:53 am 
19. Yummy Face

I'm first :p

---------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm back with feedback now :)

First - Update Yay! :bounce :D

Emms, you almost made me cry :sob
The first half of that update was so beautifully written but oh so angsty & sad.

I was kinda scared when Tara's father turned up, I worried what he might do, especially when he figured out that Tara & Willow are together. & I felt so anxious when Willow was going to leave Tara alone at the farm with him, I was (silently) screaming at Willow not to leave.

Deep down, I did know that Willow wouldn't leave Tara, but there was a part of me that was still worried it might happen, so I was extremely relieved when both Tara and Willow realised that they needed to stay together.

Quote:
Tara heard the sounds of thunder rumble low, she paused counting the seconds until the flash of lightening was seen from the barn window. The lightening was followed by the sound of rain as it splashed onto the window, the slapping sound of water against glass making a harsh echo in the still night air. Kerri was barking somewhere outside, but Tara knew that the dog had enough sense to come in out of the approaching storm, so she wasn't too worried for the animal's safety. Miss Kitty, who had been laying curled up in a tight ball of fur, pricked her ears up at the noisy interruption of her peaceful slumber, her eyes squinted in the dim light of sunrise.

Tara felt the wood splinter beneath her brown lace-up boots as she once again began her descent down the stairs. Tara heard the loft creak uneasily as she descended the final rungs. Her heart was beating fast, but she felt oddly at peace, having made up her mind that this was the right course of action. She loved Willow too much to be separated from her again. And that was that.

Tara felt her hand on the cool wood of the barn door, it was opened just a crack but that was enough to let the rainy mist seep in around the edge of the door. Tara felt the cool moisture on the back of her hand as she pushed the door open the rest of the way.

Tara would have liked to have been able to say that she was surprised when she opened the door and found Willow standing in the rain, soaked to the skin and waiting for Tara on the other side. She wasn't surprised. The emotion Tara felt at the sight of Willow far surpassed any amount of surprise she could have ever felt. They came together, their bodies crushing in a frantic attempt to become one.

Okay, I know that that was a really long part to quote, but every single word was so beautiful, I couldn't pick out one little bit. :)

The part when Tara woke Willow up was so sweet, Willow's always cute when she's just waking up :) & I loved how Tara answered every single one of Willow's quesions, & in order too - very sweet. :)

Aww, it was sweet when they were packing everything into the car, they're a proper, cute little family with their two 'babies' (Kerri & Miss Kitty). :x

Quote:
Willow's heart raced as she slid her body in between Tara's father and her lover. She didn't know what she was going to have to do…but she knew she would do it if it meant protecting Tara. There was no way that she was going to let anyone hurt her. Willow tensed as the man halted in his tracks.
I love it when our girls get all protective of each other, but I'm glad that Willow didn't have to do anything to protect Tara.

Quote:
Tara watched her father speak through gritted teeth, he hadn't shaved that morning and the stubble on his chin could be clearly seen from where Tara stood.
That little detail was ingenious, so simple, but truly brilliant. :clap In that single, intense moment Tara needed something, something small, insignificant to focus on in order to ground herself, to prepare herself for what needed to be done.
I'm not sure if I've explained that, or even interpreted it properly, I'm probably just babbling incoherently now - that sentence just really struck me though.

& Tara gets a big :clap & a cheer for standing up to her dad, she was so brave. Of course, knowing that she was walking towards a happy new life with Willow would have made that somewhat easier, but still, it took a lot of courage.

Quote:
They traveled west, Tara's head on Willow's shoulder as lazy rock tunes flowed from the radio. Tara was reminded of her brother and the way he always wore shirts supporting his favorite rock groups. She smiled at the thought. They drove down the interstate singing along with the Rolling Stones to the tune of "Wild Horses" -- and regretting nothing. With every mile traveled the past was slipping away from Tara, but she welcomed it with the knowledge that the future could be so much sweeter than the past.
Beautiful :x

Now I'm all with the conflict of emotions - I'm looking forward to the final part, to see our girls all happy; but I'll be so sad to see this story end. :aww

Hugs
Jeanne

Last edited by kindagay on Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:37 pm 
16. Pancakes in Bellies

Jeanne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok for once you may be first :lol I'm number 2 :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

=============================================

Well Jeanne could be first points upwards but I have finished my reply first :lol

It really is sad to see this wonderful creation coming to an end. I know an all good things comes one. The positive side is that I know you won't ever stop writing novels of stories.... amazing stories if I say so myself.

This nearly final chapter was so amazing it was like reading the work of Danielle Steel. It had everything the sadness of saying good bye to a love one. The passion they shared for taking in every sens of one and other.

Tara wouldn't be Tara if she hadn't felt any pity with her father setting her own feelings on the second place...I'm glad she came back on that she is worth more then just being second... and Willow knows this.

And then there was the tension and scariness of the words they so longed to say... and deep down they knew without words exactly what the other felt... there pain.

Tara running down afraid but still knowing what she had to do and Willow waiting outside in the storm that was so romantic. Well you didn't say what happened that night.... but hell my imagination knows they where deep into there love. That's why Tara hadn't told Willow her plan to leave.... there wasn't any time.

Then came the horror part Tara's dad yezzz that was so tens. What would he do? Luckily even if the words hurt. They where words and Tara is right don't ever look back.

This was a really great update ... Thank you Em... for creating this story.

Henny

Last edited by DreamLover on Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:50 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Awww that was beautiful..the way Tara left with Willow :x . Love sam xx

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong and those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie Sammler. [Evan Rachel Wood]

Credit for icon: lj user crazedxinsanity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:28 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wow, I can't believe Tara's father showed up. And Tara was so close to staying there with him. I was thinking to myself "No Emms, don't let this happen!" But whew... you fixed it. Thank you! :-D
I'm glad Willow came back, that part was so romantic! This has been such a great story Emms. :applause
Looking forward to the epilogue.
-anna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:26 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Awright, Emms, I thought for a heart-stopping moment that you were going to give us an angstful separation AGAIN and I was grimly preparing myself for it. Digging in, retrenching, whatever. So thank you for having Tara come to her senses! And praise the Goddess that Willow had the good sense not to drive off.

Lovely bookending with the storm - the storms always have played a crucial role in Willow and Tara's relationship.

This line:

Quote:
but not to worry if they didn't receive a letter right away because he didn't know yet if he was any good at correspondence.

I chuckled when I read it. The phrasing of that sentence reminds me of the voice of Daisy Fay Harper in Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg.

Emms, this story is so sweet, I'm sorry to see it coming to and end, but glad you have ended it so gracefully (and with just a teeny bit of angst for all us angst whores out there). :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:49 pm 
19. Yummy Face

I am glad Tara makes the right decision. I was a little worried she would pick a "father" who never seemed to care about her over Willow.

You have really done a beautiful job with this story. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to the epilogue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:59 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

absolutely awesome...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:50 pm 
8. Vixen

:applause
This is a fantastic story! Thanks so much for the update.

Quote:
On occasion fireflies would converge just outside their window and entertain them with intricate formations, their glowing bodies bleeping in and out of existence with the light breeze that blew blessedly through the open window.

This was my favorite line of this part. I just liked the imagry a lot. I could really SEE the picture you were painting with your words. Bravo!

Quote:
She felt like her life was coming to an end, that even though her body would go forward and continue functioning, her heart might not.

This was my second favorite line of this part. It spoke to me somehow. It's something everyone can relate to and I really liked how you conveyed this feeling.

Quote:
"I love you so much Tara." Willow said, her eyes now shut as she whispered into Tara's ear.
"Darling…." Tara said, a shiver going through her body as the sensations of Willow's breathily spoken words skirted across the delicate skin of her ear.

:x This exchange was freakin' hot! I liked that you used the word "skirted" to describe the sensation. I also really love when Tara calls Willow "darling." Beautiful.

Anyway, that's my take on a wonderful update to a wonderful story. Thanks again and I look forward to the epilogue.

Peace out,
amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:26 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
I said out loud "No!" when Tara's Dad appeared. What was he looking for? Acceptance? Redemption? No, he was being his selfish self and guilting Tara into staying in a pointless situation.

I felt a pang of dismay at the girls not talking to each other. Yes, it was their last night together, but with the big elephant in the room, there didn't seem to have been a sense that things were finished.

I'm so glad Tara decided to leave with Willow. And I'm so glad that Willow decided to wait for Tara.

Blah to Mr Maclay. Tara didn't need to return to that place. She had her future to look forward to.

Thanks for this, Emmy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:27 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 4
Wow. That was really beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:18 am 
18. Breast Gal

I loved this chapter for so many reasons. Willow and Tara were so cute, and real, and in love :x I adore how they're still uncertain sometimes, that they haven't just fallen in love and 'that's it', their relationship is still changing and evolving - and, I guess, always will.

You caught me by surprise with the thunderstorm and Willow being there - I realised at once that it was reminiscent of the one years ago, and I was thinking back on it, poor rain-drenched Willow coming for her Tara, but still when Tara opened the door I was "Oh my god, Willow!" Powerful moment.

And Tara's father, I liked how you handled him. His first appearance showed, I think, that on some level he does regret what he's done - whether it's because he got caught, or because he misses the people who are gone from his life, or because he genuinely regrets the kind of man he turned out to be, I don't know. I thought it was important to show that he wasn't just 'the bad guy'. But then it was very realistic for him to fall back into his old ways - real people do that. I guess he's just not willing to change, even though he's been hurt by his own actions. Yay for Tara, standing up to him - compassionate as she is, it's not on her shoulders to sacrifice her own life to make him feel better. It was his choice - however messed up inside he is - to behave the way he did, and continues to.

And finally, I just have to reiterate that Miss Kitty is adorable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:16 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Hey Emms,
What's wierd is that I actualy have a memory of feedbacking this update but now I don't see it. If I'm blind now, sorry for double commenting.

Again this update has that feeling of melancholoy from the earlier updates. There is the girls not talking and not much happening and then her father showing up. I can't even imagine why she considers staying with him when he obviously shows no warmth for her.

I'm glad that they end up leaving together as they should and the picture you paint of them driving away is quite healing. Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:33 pm 
5. Willowhand

Wow. So many emotions in this update. From happiness to sadness to anger to longing and then back to hope. You really do a fabulous job with your description of what is happening and where. I will be sad to see this story end, but there is also so wonder and what you'll undertake next. I always enjoy your stories. I look forward to the epilogue for this one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:57 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Hi everyone. The final chapter is completed...it just needs to go through the beta process...so it should be ready sometime in the near future. Until then, I'll get going on replies to you wonderful people.

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:45 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Jeanne,

Quote:
I was kinda scared when Tara's father turned up, I worried what he might do, especially when he figured out that Tara & Willow are together. & I felt so anxious when Willow was going to leave Tara alone at the farm with him, I was (silently) screaming at Willow not to leave.

I was hoping not to scare anyone too bad. I was fairly certain that I had set things up in the story well enough so that everyone would be fairly comfortable enough to relax a little and not expect anything too major (conflict-wise) to happen.

Quote:
Deep down, I did know that Willow wouldn't leave Tara, but there was a part of me that was still worried it might happen, so I was extremely relieved when both Tara and Willow realised that they needed to stay together.

Exactly. That's exactly what I meant in my previous statement. :-D

Quote:
Okay, I know that that was a really long part to quote, but every single word was so beautiful, I couldn't pick out one little bit.

The part when Tara woke Willow up was so sweet, Willow's always cute when she's just waking up & I loved how Tara answered every single one of Willow's quesions, & in order too - very sweet.

Aww, it was sweet when they were packing everything into the car, they're a proper, cute little family with their two 'babies' (Kerri & Miss Kitty).

Awww thanks for all that sweetie. :x

Quote:
I love it when our girls get all protective of each other, but I'm glad that Willow didn't have to do anything to protect Tara.

I thought it was very important that Tara stand up for herself there....it was necessary for her personal growth.

Quote:
That little detail was ingenious, so simple, but truly brilliant. In that single, intense moment Tara needed something, something small, insignificant to focus on in order to ground herself, to prepare herself for what needed to be done.
I'm not sure if I've explained that, or even interpreted it properly, I'm probably just babbling incoherently now - that sentence just really struck me though.

Thank you so much sweetie. I'm sure you know how much I appreciate your words....being that I'm always the one lovin' the little details in fics (yours in particular) :-D I seem to recall that I could produce a pretty good babble based on mention of a bread stick. hehe

Henny! Thanks sweetie.

Quote:
This nearly final chapter was so amazing it was like reading the work of Danielle Steel. It had everything the sadness of saying good bye to a love one. The passion they shared for taking in every sense of one and other.

hehe. Thank you, but I hardly think it was worthy of a danielle steel read. lol.

Quote:
Tara running down afraid but still knowing what she had to do and Willow waiting outside in the storm that was so romantic. Well you didn't say what happened that night.... but hell my imagination knows they where deep into there love. That's why Tara hadn't told Willow her plan to leave.... there wasn't any time.

You are exactly right. :-D

Quote:
This was a really great update ... Thank you Em... for creating this story.

No...thank you Henny, for leaving such wonderful feedback. :x

sam Thank you. :flower

anna

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe Tara's father showed up. And Tara was so close to staying there with him. I was thinking to myself "No Emms, don't let this happen!" But whew... you fixed it. Thank you!
I'm glad Willow came back, that part was so romantic! This has been such a great story Emms.
Looking forward to the epilogue.

I'm so glad that you are still following this story, I started it so long ago and it warms my heart that you are still interested enough to leave feedback. I appreciate you muchly. :-D

SallyMcFine

Quote:
Awright, Emms, I thought for a heart-stopping moment that you were going to give us an angstful separation AGAIN and I was grimly preparing myself for it. Digging in, retrenching, whatever. So thank you for having Tara come to her senses! And praise the Goddess that Willow had the good sense not to drive off.

Angst? me....? writing angst? now way :eyebrow hehe...awww come on...this story hasn't been to bad with the angst....their previous separation didn't even last an update. I was already bringing them back together in the next update! lol

Quote:
Lovely bookending with the storm - the storms always have played a crucial role in Willow and Tara's relationship.

Exactly. This story has always been flavored with the undercurrent of Nature reflecting what was going on with the girls, whether it be storms when their emotions are pained or calming rain just after love making nature has always played a big role.

The Rose24

Quote:
I am glad Tara makes the right decision. I was a little worried she would pick a "father" who never seemed to care about her over Willow.

You have really done a beautiful job with this story. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to the epilogue.

I'm glad that Tara made the right decision as well...but really, was there ever any doubt? :flower

singgirl thank you for your kind comments sweetie.

dorksrcool Hi Amy. First let me say...thank you for the feedback sweetie. I'm glad that you found so many moments note-worthy. :-D Thank you for taking time to let me know you're liking the story.

watson

Quote:
I said out loud "No!" when Tara's Dad appeared. What was he looking for? Acceptance? Redemption? No, he was being his selfish self and guilting Tara into staying in a pointless situation.

I think mostly he was looking to regain some of the control he felt he'd lost because of Donny.

Quote:
I felt a pang of dismay at the girls not talking to each other. Yes, it was their last night together, but with the big elephant in the room, there didn't seem to have been a sense that things were finished.

I don't think they believed things were finished at that point....it all goes back to the conversation in the sunflower field when Tara realized that lives sometimes take paths different from the path desired. It all came down to acceptance.

Quote:
I'm so glad Tara decided to leave with Willow. And I'm so glad that Willow decided to wait for Tara.

Blah to Mr Maclay. Tara didn't need to return to that place. She had her future to look forward to.

exactly. I'd like to second that "Blah" and a "fingers in my ear tongue sticking out" of my own.

binky thank you. :-D

Artemis Hi Chris. :applause

Quote:
I loved this chapter for so many reasons. Willow and Tara were so cute, and real, and in love I adore how they're still uncertain sometimes, that they haven't just fallen in love and 'that's it', their relationship is still changing and evolving - and, I guess, always will.

That is exactly right.

Quote:
You caught me by surprise with the thunderstorm and Willow being there - I realised at once that it was reminiscent of the one years ago, and I was thinking back on it, poor rain-drenched Willow coming for her Tara, but still when Tara opened the door I was "Oh my god, Willow!" Powerful moment.

I'm happy you found it powerful, I wasn't so sure it was going to come across that way. I figured most people would have guessed by then that there wasn't going to be another separation.

Quote:
And Tara's father, I liked how you handled him. His first appearance showed, I think, that on some level he does regret what he's done - whether it's because he got caught, or because he misses the people who are gone from his life, or because he genuinely regrets the kind of man he turned out to be, I don't know. I thought it was important to show that he wasn't just 'the bad guy'.

Tara's dad remained nameless in this fic, because it was always more about the atmosphere he brought to the fic than about him as a character but I found it necessary to bring him into the picture as something more than just a presence there at the end because Tara needed a "real" person to stand up to.

Quote:
But then it was very realistic for him to fall back into his old ways - real people do that. I guess he's just not willing to change, even though he's been hurt by his own actions. Yay for Tara, standing up to him - compassionate as she is, it's not on her shoulders to sacrifice her own life to make him feel better. It was his choice - however messed up inside he is - to behave the way he did, and continues to.

Even though we don't know why he did the things he did, or why he is the way he is (which was never the point of the story) I found it fairly easy to relate to him. I think aside from Donny, Tara's father was the most believable (character-wise)

and like I said to watson, mostly I think it was about the control. He felt he's lost control with Donny and he wanted to reign it back in with Tara.

Debra,

Quote:
Hey Emms,
What's wierd is that I actualy have a memory of feedbacking this update but now I don't see it. If I'm blind now, sorry for double commenting.

that happens to me all the time but don't worry, you didn't double post.

Quote:
Again this update has that feeling of melancholoy from the earlier updates. There is the girls not talking and not much happening and then her father showing up. I can't even imagine why she considers staying with him when he obviously shows no warmth for her.

I think it was easy for Tara to fall back into old habits. she'd spent her whole life walking on egg shells around her father, doing what he said when he said it so I don't find it too hard to believe that Tara would go back to that once he came back into the picture.

Quote:
I'm glad that they end up leaving together as they should and the picture you paint of them driving away is quite healing. Well done.

Thank you. I'm glad you like the way the update ended.

Willow~Rosenberg

I'm glad you liked sweetie, thanks for leaving feedback. :flower

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:38 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Well this is it........the last chapter of Catching Sunflowers In Bloom... I'm a little sad about it and a little hesitant to post because once I do, it will really be over. But I suppose I must. I hope you all have enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Thank you all for your wonderful comments and support. Kisses and hugs to you all.

Note: Thanks to Carleen for Beta'ing.

Epilogue

"Mommy? Is this the place you grew up?"

"Yes honey." Tara said, turning around to look at her daughter.

This would be the first time in 16 years that Tara had been back to her family home. After the confrontation with her father the morning she left with Willow, she said goodbye to her old life and never regretted it. She had a wonderful life and a beautiful daughter.

She and Willow decided to adopt 8 years ago. Four years out of college they began to get restless to start a family. And after several failed attempts to conceive through insemination, Willow had brought up the topic of adoption and Tara had latched onto the idea. Something just felt right about offering their love and home to a child without either of those comforts. The use of magic to conceive had never been an option as they both knew the importance of respecting the natural order things and were well versed on the repercussions for miss use.

Shylee came into their lives as a wide-eyed 6-month-old baby girl with the deepest brown eyes either Willow or Tara had ever seen. It had been an open adoption and Willow and Tara had made every attempt to include Shylee's birth mother, Andrea , in any and all of Shylee's special occasions. Shylee and her birthmother had a special relationship but seemed to relate to each other more as sisters than anything else.

Andrea had been a teenager when she got pregnant with Shylee and had known right from the start that she wanted to give her baby daughter a life that she herself couldn't give to her. And after many months of waiting, Willow and Tara received a call from Andrea, after she had come across them on a list of waiting parents. Willow and Tara felt strongly about having an open adoption and as it turned out Andrea wanted that as well.

Willow and Tara were not the only two fond of the little girl. It hadn't taken long for Shylee's tranquil brown eyes to work her way into Tara's brother's heart as well.

Donny was a common topic of conversation in the Rosenberg-Maclay house and even though they didn't get to see each other as much as they would have liked, Donny was still an integral part of their family. He had grown especially close to Shylee, who adored her uncle and would spend the time she saw him clamped to his side like a tiny barnacle on the side of a boat.

Donny, who had been married and divorced twice before , was now on his third wife. Willow and Tara had taken up bets on how long the relationship was going to last. So far it was going strong and this newest wife, Kimberly, was really great with Donny's children.

Tara's older brother was the proud father of 3-year-old twin boys and though they were fraternal, they were more alike than most identical twins. When Jackson got hurt Max cried and when Max couldn't sleep at night neither could Jackson. Shylee had taken to them instantly and at the age of 5 had been like a little mother hen to them, following them around before they could even walk to make sure that they didn't crawl into any trouble. And it had been that way ever since.

Tara looked at the road in front of her as she drove the last 10 miles to their destination. They had received the news two days ago about her father's death. Tara was a little sad, but mostly she felt sorry for the man. He had died alone.

Donny didn't want anything to do with him and wouldn't be attending the funeral. She'd talked to him briefly on the phone after she'd received the news. Tara didn't harbor such bitterness toward her father so it hadn't been a hard decision to make...of course they would make the trip.

Willow held the black umbrella over Shylee's head in an attempt to keep the little girl in the shade. Shylee wasn't paying attention to Willow's ministrations though. The little girl looked pensive, her long brown hair hung loosely down her back. Willow had meant to braid it that morning but time had slipped by quickly, so she had never gotten around to it.

The summer sun seemed especially hot that day, and the air was filled with the smells of her past. The smell of cut grass and warm dirt reminded Willow of spending time with Tara in the back field of her house when they had been kids, and then again later as young adults…but that had been so long ago, and this wasn't really the time to reminisce.

Tara stared at the wooden coffin as it was lowered into the ground by men she had never seen before. They wore dark suits and oddly stripped ties, and Tara had the thought that it seemed strange to stand there, watching men she’d never known put her father in the ground16 years after the last time she had seen him.

She could remember what he looked like, standing stiffly on the gravel as she walked past him, his lips set firmly in a line that slashed across his face in a surly manor. That was the way he had looked the last time she'd seen him…she remembered that the clearest of all. Tara never understood her father and he had never taken the time to understand her. And for that alone, she was truly sorry.

Tara felt Shylee against her legs. The girl had leaned back so that her back rested up against Tara's hip. Tara silently placed her hand on the little girl's shoulder. She knew the eight year old had only a limited vision of death. And even though they had explained it to her as best they could Tara knew that Shylee didn't fully understand everything that had happened in the last few days. But she was a very sensitive child and Tara had no doubt that she had picked up on the melancholy undertones that flavored everything they'd done since they received the news about Tara's father.

Tara's eyes didn't leave the sight of her father's coffin until it was completely submerged into the gaping, brown, earth. The reverend's words washed over her, but she couldn't really decipher what it was being said. Everything seemed like a mixed up jumble of moments that didn't seem to line up quite right. Tara felt a hand on her shoulder, and knew instantly that it was Willow's delicate fingers offering support and comfort and something else that was indescribable yet firmly rooted in the bond between she and Willow. Even after all these years that connection was still as strong as ever it was. Stronger even, they had been through so much together…they were lovers and friends and parents.

It was odd that now, at the age of 35, Tara was officially an orphan. And if it wasn't for the love of her wonderful family she might have felt like one too. Tara lifted her eyes to see Cousin Beth watching her. Tara had seen the woman, when they had arrived at the cemetery that day, but due to the circumstances of the gathering, hadn't had a chance to talk. Tara held no grudges toward the woman and knew if the opportunity presented itself she'd whole-heartedly welcome Beth back into her heart. Tara wasn't going to push the issue though, because she was still a firm believer that the Goddess had a plan for everything and a person's journey was a person's journey and shouldn't be meddled with. So she'd wait and see what happened. Beth chose that moment to break the eye contact they shared as if the Goddess had reached down and placed a sign into Tara's lap telling her that now was not going to be the time for reconciliation.

They smiled small smiles and shook reverent hands with passing people who stopped to talk to them on the way from the cemetery. Most were strangers but Tara recognized a few men and women from her youth. Most of the people there were older; their gray hair marked the passing of time since Tara had last been home. Beth had stayed away, as Tara suspected she would. But that was fine.

Shylee was oddly quiet and introverted that whole day, she barely said two words the entire time and it wasn't until later that evening after all the people had gone, leaving behind casseroles in white containers and brownies in glass pans, that the little girl seemed to come out of her shell a little. They spent that night in front of the television watching old episodes of "Good Times." Each time JJ said something with that huge grin on his face they would crack up. Tara felt like a weight had been lifted off of her for the first time since arriving in Cullison and it felt good to be laughing with her family again.

Tara sat waiting for the realtor to arrive. It had been a long day and all she really wanted to do was go to bed with Willow and go to sleep, but there was the realtor to contend with before any sleeping was likely to happen.

She had talked to her brother in detail and they decided that it might be best if the house was sold. Donny told Tara that it was up to her, because he had washed his hands of that mess years ago and didn't want to revisit any old feeling's he might have left behind. He didn't want the money from the sale either and had nearly hung up on Tara when she'd insisted that he take part of it. As for Tara, she was full of mixed feelings. She knew it was for the best that she and Willow sell the house, but part of her wished they didn't have to. Her past was here…her memories. Tara rubbed her eyes. They burned with the strain of trying to see through the glaring hot sun. She needed to rest. Tara called to Willow, she was sure that her wife wouldn't mind standing watch while Tara went inside and took a little nap.

Willow found Tara standing at the window in what used to be her room. Tara was looking outside with her head bent against the cracked and peeling paint if the window frame. "Hey you. I was looking everywhere for you. The realtor's here, he wants to take a look around. He's fully equipped he even came with charts." Willow came into the room and crossed the room to stand by Tara. The blonde wasn't looking at her; her gaze was focused out the window at some point in the distance. Willow looked out, but could see nothing but the sea of Sunflowers. "What are you thinking..?" Willow asked knowingly, she waited for her wife to respond to the question. She knew there was something going around in Tara's head….or was it more accurate to say she knew something was going around in Tara's heart?

"Willow, what if we didn't sell. We have enough money that we can afford the property tax….and the house has been paid off for years. It was paid off long before we met even."

"Tax wouldn't be too bad I suspect."

"Suspect?" Tara turned quickly toward her lover, she could see the humor reflecting as flecks of light in the other woman's green eyes. She was up to something.

Willow smiled. "I looked it up while you were on the phone with Donny." Willow glanced out the window. "There really are a lot of memories here…" Her voice trailed off as she got lost amidst the swaying field of golden flowers. They haven't died...after all these years...Willow was thinking to herself when she heard Tara's voice speaking next to her.

"And not just having to do with us...they are of my mother too…" Tara set her jaw firm. "We can't sell this place Will. I can't sell this place. It's a part of me...it's a part of us."

"I know." And Willow had known. She had known when Donny told them that he wanted nothing to do with the house. She had known even when they were calling realtors to come and look at the place. She had known all along up until now, when the real estate agent pulled up in the driveway. She watched him come thinking, We can't sell this place. And they couldn't.

"What should we do then? I can't see us living here full time Will."

"I seem to recall a very country Tara who was right at home on the farm."

"Yes well, I've been suburbanized. You corrupted me with your big city ways. Yes lover, it's all your fault really. I should blame you. And I do." Tara teased. She felt the corner of her lips turn up in a half-smile.

"I wouldn't hang me just yet, something tells me you can still 'farm around' with the best of 'em."

"That was me 16 years ago, I'm not the same person I was then Will….Do you still love me?"

"What do you think?"

"That, that was a stupid question."

"Not stupid, just silly."

"I know...but just being back here has been really surreal..." Tara paused, turning back to the window. "You know?" she continued. "I've kept seeing places and things and I feel connected but at the same time it's almost like all this…" Tara spread her hands out to indicate the room, house, fields, sky, and the less tangible death of her only living parent. "Never really happened to me."

"Maybe we could stay for the summer." Willow touched Tara's shoulder to comfort her lover. "Things have been really slow around the office so I don't think they'll miss me much. Plus, I have my trusty laptop, which I'll use to keep an eye on those hooligans ."

"Yes Will, because everyone knows how crazy and unpredictable you accountants can be if left to your own devices." Tara winked at Willow. She slipped her arm around the redhead's slim waist. "I wouldn't be opposed to spending the summer…it could be good for Shylee, she's never experienced what it is like to wake up to the sound of birds outside her bedroom window."

"Or a cozy barn loft…" Willow reminded Tara, smiling in reminiscence.

"Or a cozy barn loft…" Tara confirmed. "Sometimes I feel guilty that the only wakeup call she's ever known is the hum of cars as they wiz past on the street outside our house ." Tara paused, thinking…"I could start a temp veterinary practice out here…I'm sure there are plenty of people in need of that kind of assistance. You know I hear there's still only one clinic in Cullison." She said

"It's settled then?"

Tara nodded.

"I'll make a pot of coffee."

Willow took the for sale sign out of the yard the next day. They had let the realtor look around the previous day, because neither of them had the heart to tell the man that they were no longer planning to sell…he just looked to darned desperately hopeful in his derby hat and tweed jacket and he'd come from quite a distance to take a look at the place.

Shylee had been excited when Willow and Tara told her the news that they would be staying the summer. The little girl had a babble that could even give Willow a run for her money but Willow was able to follow most of it well enough to learn that Shylee had met one of the little neighbor girls up the road and was looking forward to becoming fast friends with the girl. Shylee had said the girl's name was Katie Nelson and that she had a dead grandpa too. Willow sent Shylee outside to play after a parting bit of advice about walking around town spouting the words "dead grandpa" especially in front of her mother. Willow knew Tara was still sensitive on the subject.

The next day Willow carved a sign that they nailed to the fence post. It read: In love and light all things can grow up golden.

That night, outside the overgrown bramble of sinewy brownish/green stalks no one noticed the fireflies that converged there. The tiny creatures watched the warm glowing lights that lit up the old farmhouse windows. They lingered there for a long time, until they felt the breeze begin and then they dispersed in all directions, scattering into the gathering wind.

THE END

Last edited by Emms on Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:32 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Dibs!

I'll be back later to read & leave feedback

Hugs
Jeanne

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm back & I've read :)

I feel that the standard "Yay! Update :bounce :D" reaction is, inappropriate, not beacause I wasn't uber-happy to see an update, (believe me I truly was) but because, well, it's all over & that makes me sad. :aww

I've never written feedback for a last ever update before, it's strange I know, but something inside me feels as though, if I don't leave feedback, then it's not really over. But there's no way I could not leave feedback for you, no way that I could not tell you how beautiful this whole story has been and how grateful I am that you shared it with us.

Every word of this entire fic has been undeniably beautiful, and this final update was no exception, your magic has shone through from beginning to end.

I knew they couldn't abandon that farm, it's such a shame that it took Tara's father's death for them to go back, but I guess that was the only way it was ever likely to happen.

The burial was, intense & very sad, you really tugged at my heart strings with that part. So many things going through Tara's mind as her father was lowered into the ground. :aww

Quote:
Tara felt a hand on her shoulder, and knew instantly that it was Willow's delicate fingers offering support and comfort and something else that was indescribable yet firmly rooted in the bond between she and Willow.
Beautiful :x

It says so much that, without Tara having to say anything, Willow looked up how much the property tax for the farm would be. The farm means so much, to both of them, there's no way they could sell it. Plus, it'll be a nice place to take Shylee for a break from city life & it'll be nice to share the magic of the place with her too.

Speaking of Shylee, she's so very sweet & adorable. It was so cute reading about how she'd follow her baby cousins around like a little mother hen. :)

Quote:
"That was me 16 years ago, I'm not the same person I was then Will….Do you still love me?"

"What do you think?"

"That, that was a stupid question."

"Not stupid, just silly."
:x

Quote:
Shylee had met one of the little neighbor girls up the road and was looking forward to becoming fast friends with the girl.
Hmm, that sounds sweetly familiar :)

Quote:
That night, outside the overgrown bramble of sinewy brownish/green stalks no one noticed the fireflies that converged there. The tiny creatures watched the warm glowing lights that lit up the old farmhouse windows. They lingered there for a long time, until they felt the breeze begin and then they dispersed in all directions, scattering into the gathering wind.

Well of course I have to quote the final paragraph :) That was a truly perfect way to end this wonderful story Emms.

Well, I guess that's everything. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions, & it's been a pleasure and a privelege to share in this beautiful, magical journey.

Thank you Emms, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. :flower

Hugs
Jeanne

Last edited by kindagay on Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:03 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

This has been one of my favorite fics the past few months lurking here. I'm a little sad to see it go, but you really did a wonderful job. The epilogue wrapped everything nicely and was, as always, beautifully written. It made perfect sense for Tara and her family to go to her father's funeral even though reconciliation wasn't possible while he was still living, and to keep the farm for their family afterward despite the fact that it didn't make rational sense. I liked that moment as Tara is looking out the window at the sunflower fields. Very satisfying. Thanks.

binky

Post subject: Perfection
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:27 pm 
5. Willowhand

That was simply wonderful. I don't know how else to put it. I know I haven't left you with enough replies, but this story is one of my favorites, and I just absolutely smitten with the whole thing. Emms, you are my idol.

I just hope we kittens can get another gem of a story, like this, from you sometime soon!!!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap *throws :flower s*

robyn

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:32 pm 
19. Yummy Face

*Sigh* Beautiful. What a lovely way to wrap things up. Tara and Willow really do live happily ever after.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story with us. Any plans for another?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next