The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: FIC: Paper Airplanes
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:55 am 
Dog help me, I'm actually posting this ...

Title: Paper Airplanes

Number of Horses: None, but many implied. (What? I don't even know what that means).

Disclaimer: I don't own them. After you read this, you'll know why.

Rating: Uhm, knowing me ... G. (Is "heck" a bad word?)

Spoilers: It's kinda AU ... Willow does, indeed, meet Tara at the Wicca meeting. After that, however, things just aren't the same.

Thanks to: Kerry, wonder-writer/beta extraordinaire ... (will that get you to write more of your story?)

Summary: Willow and Tara hang out, become very good friends. That's it. Well ... there's more. Of course there is, silly. There's friendship, hidden feelings and sadness, followed by un-sadness (which could be called "happiness" in some cultures).

Note 1: This is a getting together fic. It is set generally in Season 5, only because of a reference to "Family." Oh and Tara has no secret ... and, because I loved her, Joyce is still around. (Not that she's in this story, but, she's still not dead).

Note 2: I wrote this a long time ago, before the current situation, before the break-up ... so, it won't have any traces of mid-late Season 6.

Note 3: I have all but the last chapter written, so, if all goes well and it's recieved well -- I can post one chapter a day. In all, there are 8 chapters (with the 8th unwritten at this point).

On with the show ...

"Creating your own aerial assault team there Will?" Xander asked, looking at her private paper squadron.

"Hmm," Willow was pulled out her daydreaming to see that she had successfully folded every paper within reach into some form of a paper airplane. "Oh, just kind of bored," she replied with a roll of her eyes.

He unfolded one of the planes and read the flyer. With a smirk he commented, "What, 'Crazy Monkey Pants' not doing it for you?" He eyed the band, listened for a second and dutifully re-folded the paper into its former airplane form. "What's with the face of the long kind?" he inquired.

"No, no longness here. This is the face of the waiting. Tara said she'd meet me here before we do the Wicca thing," she explained. "I hate being early." Willow glanced at her watch and then around her one more time. "Hey, where's Anya?" Willow asked, less out of curiosity and more out of manners. She didn't want Xander to think she didn't notice his right arm was missing.

Xander stood up tall, brushed what would be his lapel if he wasn't wearing a tee shirt and said, "Getting me a drink." His eyebrows jumped with pride.

Green eyes darted to the bar in disbelief. When she didn't see Anya, she turned back to Xander with a confused look on her face.

Sheepishly he said, "She's in the bathroom." A wide grin found its way onto his face, "Had you though, didn't I?"

When he saw Anya making her way toward the table, Xander excused himself. They met near the dance floor and quickly let themselves get swept up in the music. Willow watched, amused at Xander's idea of dancing and Anya's patience with his rhythmless movements. She smiled at the sight and then sighed, realizing that watching was all she was doing lately.

Watching Buffy shoot come hither looks, watching Xander step all over himself to please Anya, and watching Anya lovingly place Xander under her finger - but that was all. Spectator again, this thought led her back to the place she'd been hiding for the last few weeks, back to Tara.

Willow looked around and still there was no sign of her fellow Wiccan. A group of

students came by in a huddle and bumped into her, sending a few planes and some of their belongings to the ground. Only one of the guys in the group, the one whose backpack fell open, bothered to help Willow pick up the various pens, planes and band flyers that now littered the path between Willow's table and the table nearest her.

When most of the mess was picked up, Willow found herself alone with a pile of band flyers, paper airplanes and someone's abandoned pen. "Finder's keepers," she mumbled to herself.

The red-head moved to seat herself in the chair that gave her the best view of the entrance. She rested her chin on her left hand and began doodling on one of the paper airplanes. Her eyes never looked at the marks she made, instead they watched the door intently. Tara, she thought, getting more and more impatient, where are you?

Since meeting Tara at the joke of a Wicca group meeting, she had taken every opportunity to spend time with her. At first she would stop by to practice her spell casting, but it wasn't long before Willow stopped by just to stop by. Her mind tried to get around how quickly Tara found her way into a void that was previously unnoticed, or maybe just ignored. An Oz-shaped void, she mused, that somehow became Tara-shaped when I wasn't paying attention, or maybe it was a Tara-shaped void that

Oz was filling?
Her head was hurting and pulled her eyes away from the door long

enough to look down and make swirly designs between the hearts she had been doodling.

Somehow the appearance of little hearts in her doodles didn't surprise her as much as she thought it would. They started to slowly make their appearances in her notebook she used for spells. At first she didn't think it was more than the "everyone has someone but me" monster that was eating away at her brain. But when she realized that the only book with doodled hearts in it was her spell notebook, she had to rethink her theory.

She knew the theory never had any merit anyway. All she had to do was remember what her computer notebook looked like after a few dates with Oz. Little doodled guitars and hearts littered the margins on nearly every page of notes.

Oz was different, she sighed as she thought, and not because of the male thing. She knew where she stood with him nearly from the start. I could tell him what I felt for him and not be afraid of him disappearing. She frowned when she realized he had done just that - disappeared. Maybe Oz isn't a very good example, she mentally noted. I don't have anything to compare these feelings to.

Feelings, Willow thought gruffly, stupid, messing things up feelings. Lately her feelings for Tara had been boiling up within her, threatening to spill over whenever Tara was near. Willow had been toying with the idea of just writing it all down and getting it out once and for all, but never seemed to have the chance. Willow looked up to see Xander and Anya fully engrossed in their dance and checked her watch. I have a chance now, I guess, she thought as she carefully unfolded one of her planes and began writing.

My dearest Tara,

I am writing this letter with the intention of being completely honest, because if I don't, my thoughts might drive me insane. I just need to get this out with no questions that will let me backpedal or run away. That's what this is about. When I am done writing everything I wish I was brave enough to tell you face to face, I'll burn this letter and your beautiful eyes will never see a single word. It's the only way I can be sure I won't hide, that I'll bare my deepest thoughts and that I'll admit my silent wishes.

I was watching Xander and Anya dance tonight while I waited for you. I thought about how happy they made each other. I thought about how nice they looked together. I thought about how I wanted to be jealous of what they have, but couldn’t because they deserve to be happy. And I thought about what was making me, not unhappy, just not

entirely happy.

See, at first, I thought it was just loneliness. I thought I was just going through the "I'm alone blues" I fall into when everyone I know is coupled off. I thought it was the funk I used to feel when I was elected to watch the table while everyone else danced. But that's not it.

It's you. It's how I feel about you. It's the torture of being on the verge of letting my

emotions flood over me but knowing that if I do, I might lose the one thing I need the most.

This is the part that, if I thought you were ever going to see this, I would call the "point of no return." I'm just going to take a deep breath and jump right in ...

I need … well, you. I need that look in your eyes when I pull you out of sleep with a surprise visit in the morning. I need the special giggle you reserve for me when I babble. I need your sly half-smile. I need the stories you tell me in your hushed tone when I'm upset. I just need you.

Willow stopped writing and glanced at the paper in front of her. A thin smile formed on her mouth as she read over it. This doesn't even sound like me. Why doesn't it read like I'm even a fraction as nervous as I really am? Willow thought. As she reached the last line, a familiar voice interrupted her.

"H-hey Willow," the blonde said with a grin. Her smiled turned into a full fledged grin when she saw the airplane collection on the table. "Am I, uhm, late?"

Willow's head snapped up to put her in direct eye contact with Tara. "Tara! Hey!" the red-head quickly folded the flyer into some semblance of a jet and roughly shoved it into her jacket pocket. "I was just, you know, doodling and writing, and, nothing important, you know, just found a pen and, moved it around on the paper and, you know, images formed and words too! I was, you know, just waiting and … stuff." As she spoke, her eyes wildly looked around, finally growing large and resting on Tara.

Read your letter – you can form words and be coherent at the same time! Willow admonished herself. She was brought out of her reverie by a soft giggle. She glanced up at Tara and was rewarded with Tara's shy half smile. The two friends reveled in each others company as a light blush painted both of their faces.

"We're back!" Anya announced gleefully. She looked at the two wiccans and crinkled her nose. "Why are you staring at each other? Is this a Wicca thing?"

Willow pried her eyes from Tara's and glared an Anya. "We were just, uhm," Willow began, but soon found that she really didn't know what they were doing.

"Staring at each other, yes, I saw," Anya finished Willow's sentence. "You should go dance. Xander says that dancing is a good way to get ..."

"Ahn, sweetie, we know what Xander gets from dancing with you," Xander interrupted as he turned an apologetic eye to the two girls who were staring at him in shock.

"I was going to say that we were just on our way back to Tara's to work on a new spell," Willow finally managed to say. She stood up and nodded to Tara. "Ready?" They headed for the door, quickly waving behind them.

"Yeah, spells," Anya commented. "Right."

-End Part 1-

"I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly!" (SpongeBob Squarepants)

Edited by: xita  at: 12/15/02 11:30:40 pm

Post subject: Re: FIC: Paper Airplanes
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:10 pm 
Oh this is very good!!!!!! Can't wait to see if the airplane will ever reach Tara :)

----------------------

'I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad..it's depressing' - Tara

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:11 pm 
Good start. I look forward to more. "Yeah, spells," Anya commented. "Right." Plus you gotta love Anya. Oh and I love Willow writting the letter to Tara.

-----------------

"This world's no fun."
"You noticed that too?"

Post subject: Feedback is good ..
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:16 pm 
Little M and Thanatopsis: Thanks for your feedback. I assure you an ending you will appreciate ... I'm a sucker for happy endings.

And yes, I did lurk about to see what my first kitten feedback might be like.

You didn't disappoint -- I hope I won't either. :rolleyes

JD

"I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly!" (SpongeBob Squarepants)

Post subject: Re: Feedback is good ..
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:39 pm 
Excellent start! I'm looking forward to more..

Reflects my thoughts. I can literally imagine the scene... But more exaggerated for an illustration. heh heh... paper planes...

You really portrayed Willow very well. :) And Tara? I hope there's more in the next parts.

When I Am Standing On My Head, The Sky Is So Deep And The Sea Is So High.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:43 pm 
Sweet. I liked the letter that Willow wrote to Tara, even to the point of her being amazed at how unlike her it sounded.

I also really liked your use of the idea of filling a void; especially the notion that Oz was filling a Tara-shaped void. That's such a great way of looking at it. Thanks.

----------
"Smut now." - Dark Madfic Tommo

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:51 pm 
I'm all about voting for the continued posting of this. It certainly has a nice start to it.

Autumn

-----------

Well, the reindeer part was nice...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:12 pm 
Great beginning! I loved the note that she was writing to Tara.. perhaps Tara will see it? Oh, please post more!

-Aimee :D

"Pope John Paul today confirmed his opposition to gay marriages, said they're unnatural. Gay marriage is unnatural. Then he put on a pointy hat, his dress, and returned to never having sex at all." -Bill Maher

Post subject: Part II
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 4:14 pm 
Okay, I was going to only do one per day, but seeing as I will be at Long Beach Pride all weekend ... I'll post Part II today, with Part III following on Monday (late afternoon PST).

Shin(nen): Heheh. I do it because I can. Thank you for your sweet words. Maybe you'll be inspired?

Tommo: Dude, you said nice things. You, ruler of all things ficcy ... I'm ... I'm *faints*

AutumnT: Thanks, I'm glad you would like more. (Gives me the courage to post the rest).

ExtraFlameyWT: More, as requested. No jumping the gun ... much must happen, grasshopper, before the Tree is moved. (huh?)

*** Part II **

Willow moved so her back was supported by Tara's bed. She stretched her legs in front of her, careful not to kick any of the powder that took them ten minutes to gather into one small heap. While she loved to use the different colored powders, Willow really hated the clean up.

"Tara," Willow began, her eyes focusing on the light blue powder on the floor, "you really need a little vacuum."

"I know, uhm, the hall one is broken," Tara said. "Again." She rolled her eyes and smiled as she brushed the remains of their spell into a tiny dustpan. She walked slowly to her desk and carefully placed the dustpan on a pile of books.

"Another day, another spell, eh?" Willow chuckled.

"Yeah," Tara answered with a slight giggle. "Uhm, do you know what other spells you want to try? I mean, with spring break coming up and a whole week off, we could do a lot of practicing and stuff." Tara's face glowed as she mentioned the prospect of having a whole week with nothing to do but hang out together.

"About that," Willow slowly started, "uhm, see, my parents are actually going away on vacation for the week. And for the first time since I can remember, they didn't ask me to house-sit."

Willow didn't want to continue as she saw Tara's smile creep away and she saw confusion slide into its place. "See, this year, they invited me to go along with them. " Willow shrugged. "We're leaving the day after tomorrow for Big Bear."

"Big Bear? You're, uhm, all driving up there?" Tara asked. She tried to force herself to smile. Don't let her see that you're disappointed. There's no reason to make Willow feel guilty for going on vacation with her parents, after all, it's not like we planned on spending vacation together, Tara thought. Without waiting for Willow to answer, she commented, "It'll be a pretty drive, y'know, with all the flowers and everything."

Willow smiled. "We're not driving. That's something people who want to spend time together do," Willow punctuated her statement with a laugh. "Can you believe they rented a cabin with a guest house? We're going to fly up there and then they're going to get a car for the rest of the drive."

"You, uhm, you're flying there? Willow, you know it's only a six hour drive, right?" Tara wasn't sure she understood the family dynamics, but she was sure that waiting in an airport for two hours just to be in the air for one hour seemed awfully odd. She felt uneasy, but she couldn't put her finger on the source.

She could be in a car, on the ground going 75 miles an hour or she could be in a plane, in the air, hundreds of miles above the ground going faster than I even know, she thought.

"Did they already get the tickets? It really is a beautiful drive. A, uhm, nice, safe, beautiful drive."

"Tara?" Willow asked, furrowing her brows and concentrating on her friend. "Are you worried about me flying? Planes are just as safe as cars. Trust me, there's nothing to worry about," she announced, hoping to ease Tara's worried mind.

"If you're, uhm, sure," Tara's head fell, but her eyes looked up into Willow's. A shy smile spread across her lips. She probably thinks I'm being silly and overprotective, Tara thought, but I don't like this feeling.

"I sure am sure," Willow confirmed as her impish smile grew into a grin. "So, about those spells? We still have tomorrow, y'know. All day! Unless you have plans, of course, because I don't want to assume ..."

"No plans," Tara said, effectively cutting off Willow babble before it began. "Just to spend the day with you." Tara's smile was running full force now. "But, I should get some sleep now. Big day tomorrow and everything," she explained.

"Okay, just call me in the morning when you get up and we'll figure out what we want to do." Willow stood up and stretched her back. "There's new magic shop we could browse and I have those tapes too," Willow was thinking out loud.

She didn't know how to leave. Usually, she got up, said goodnight, opened the door and walked away. Tonight, though, was different. Tonight she didn't really want to leave. Not that I ever want to leave, Willow thought. She glanced over at Tara and noticed her friend getting fidgety. A little hug wouldn't be weird. We're friends. Friends hug. And I'm

going away, okay, I'll see her before I go away, but I am going away and that could call for a hug.

"Willow?" Tara asked, breaking through Willow's thoughts. The redhead looked up and shook her head, trying to free it of the thoughts that were nagging her. "Uhm, I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Yeah, Tara. Bright and early, okay? Don't want to waste a minute," Willow admitted. She was promptly rewarded with a Tara smile.

After walking Willow to the stairs, Tara hurried back to her room. Not a lot of time, she thought.

Tara had been working on a special present for Willow and had hoped to add more to it during Spring Break. While Tara was sure Willow wouldn't miss her during her week away, Tara knew that she would be thinking of the redhead every second she was gone. If she could finish the gift before Willow left, then she knew Willow would bring it with her. Knowing that, Tara felt like she would, in a way, be with her too. Grabbing the dustpan from her desk, she got to work immediately on Willow's surprise.

She had worked on Willow's present for hours. The late evening became early morning and she was finally done. There was only one more thing she wanted to do.

She pulled her necklace out of the collar of her shirt and smiled. I can still feel it. That was a strong one, mom. Without another thought, Tara quickly gathered a few items. Using her desk as a makeshift altar, Tara slightly altered the spell on the charm. ... carry her safely to and home, Tara thought as she finished the incantation.

Her mother's protection spell for her now became Tara's for Willow.

** End Part II**

Post subject: Re: Part II
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:46 pm 
But I like to jump the gun! :) Okay, okay... great update! Aww, Tara is all worried about Willow flying. She's so sweet! Why is Willow going? She shouldn't go.. she should spend the week all alone with Tara.. at her house.. together.. ;)

Can't wait for the next part!! :)

"Pope John Paul today confirmed his opposition to gay marriages, said they're unnatural. Gay marriage is unnatural. Then he put on a pointy hat, his dress, and returned to never having sex at all." -Bill Maher

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 9:27 pm 
This is great! I love how this is starting out. But a whole week apart? Our poor girls. :)

--------------------------------

"But when they're playing your song on the jukebox in Hell, you might as well dance." - K. Simpson

"Futile... like a FOX, baby!" - Tara in The Late Shift by wiccachica

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 10:06 pm 
There are a flood of earlier fics on this board now, and they are all different. I love the earlier fics, and I will never get tired of them. It is amazing how many different versions of how W/T first meet and fall in love. Keep up the good work, and maybe you will reconsider posting just one chapter a day since the story is already finished?

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.

Tara: Willow, I got so lost.
Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

Willow: Hi, um Tara. I was wondering maybe you want to go out some time for coffee? food? Kisses and gay love?

Post subject: Not an update
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 1:52 am 
Just wanted to thank everyone again (I'm so happy)! :blush

I don't have the story on this computer, so, it'll have to wait until Monday.

I might post more than one a day if I get the last chapter finished --- I'd hate to post it all and then leave the ending hanging out there. :)

You guys are so cool :cool

JD

Post subject: On a six hour car drive myself
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 5:33 am 
and I have phone cords,adapter lines, and coffee all over the place, but *ouch* my cheeks hurt from grinning at the cuteness of the story you've got going here! A Monday update sounds just about perfect. Can hardly wait!

Laurel

Post subject: Re: On a six hour car drive myself
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 8:05 am 
great story and great update! Love "over-protective" Tara :)

I really hope Willow won't fly away with her parents. Or maybe she could take Tara with her, that would be cool!

Oh baby, want me to rub your tummy? She likes it when I ... stop explaining things.

Hi, um Tara..how are you? well...I was wondering maybe you want to go out some time...for coffee? food? Kisses and gay love?

Looking down and hungry for your love, but no way to feed it...

Post subject: feedback
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 9:35 am 
Really great two chapters... can't wait for the update...

though I hope that carefully tucked away paper plane makes a reapearance soon...

love letter cleared for takeoff... smile

bravo

can't wait for more

kathleen

"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."

Post subject: Re: feedback
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 10:36 am 
Hey JD!

Just read the second part. Awesome! :grin

Coudn't read it earlier cos you ordered me to bed.. heh heh. :) And I woke up 10 hours later and an update! Cool! Writing about Willow and Tara getting together is so fresh to read...not to mention..ultra pleasant tone to the story. (after the past few S6 eps)

Love it so far. :bounce can't wait for the next update.

But Willow and Tara not able to be together for a week. That's painful.

When I Am Standing On My Head, The Sky Is So Deep And The Sea Is So High.

Edited by: Shinnen at: 5/18/02 12:42:35 pm

Post subject: Excellent
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 1:14 pm 
Poor tara and willow. A whole week, ouch.

I dont blame willow for going in a plane though, the thought of a 6 hour car journey with my folks is enough to make me feel quesey. lol.

Keep it up, monday cant come soon enough. :bounce

Caz

one by on the penguins stole my sanity

Post subject: Re: Excellent
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:14 am 
This is a grand story:bounce I just got caught up on it. I can say this though, my timing is good, only one day for me till update Yeah:grin

Keep it coming, I too love early stories.

Give into the sunshine....give into the W/T love..let it take over"

--------Sassette

Post subject: Re: Excellent
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 3:11 pm 
I liked the theme of planes you've got running through this, whether real or paper. That's a nice little touch that relates back to the title. Clever. :)

And Willow's desire to stay with Tara is just adorable. She's got all this need going on and can't find anywhere to put it yet. Bless her. I love how you've got both girls wanting the same thing and yet being far too tentative with what they say. The internal stuff is just a joy to read. Thanks.

----------
"Smut now." - Dark Madfic Tommo

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:52 am 
Her mother's protection spell for her now became Tara's for Willow. With just that act Tara has shown how much she already cares for Willow.

Beautiful - well done!

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:50 am 
Ohhhh this so great !

I find myself reading this work, and then hurriedly checking for updates when I should be adding to the ebb and flow of our capitalist society. Oh well......

I want you to know, however, that I would only put my nations ecomonic structure at risk for you.....and Ruth...and Lisa...and MC .....and Sass...

Actually, I'm getting quite good at working in sporadic bursts.

Tracy

"It's all about emotional control"

Post subject: Part III
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 11:40 am 
Oh, my kittens! You are too nice to me!:grin

mtnlaurel:
Dude, drive carefully. I look forward to more of your fic!

snuggle79: Okay, I love all my feedback, but I really adore when readers try to figure out what's gonna happen ...

KathleenWolf:Update coming right up! (We're getting there ... first things first).

Shinnen: Buddy, pal ... I knew I could count on you to say nice things (the check is in the mail) :grin

hellmouthhottie20, Karzia and Mollygig: Thanks for the feedback ... more is coming up!

Tommo: :shock If you keep saying such nice things, I don't know that I'll be conscious to post more. Great Obi Wan of Fics ... maybe I could be a Jedi Ficcer too?

frogfear: :jaw Me? Up there with Ruth a-a-and Lisa a-a-a-a-and MC and Sasso. Oh to belong in the heavens with such stars! Thank you ... so much. You made my day.

***Without further doo-doo .... part III***

The Espresso Pump was overly crowded for a Monday afternoon. So far, the two witches watched three SpongeBob SquarePants' adventures that Willow taped, gone to Buffy's to make pancakes and perused several magic stores. They both seemed to be trying to fit a week's worth of time into one day.

"The line's so long," Willow whined and furrowed her brow. "I need my mocha! Don't these people have jobs, or kids to pick up from school?" Her eyes narrowed as her smile turned into a pout.

An image of a much younger Willow popped into Tara's mind. The vision of Young Willow standing in front of a candy display pointing and pouting, exclaiming that candy was a necessity for her growing up big and strong, made Tara giggle.

"Oo!" Willow exclaimed, bringing Tara back to reality, "Table! Empty! Get it, get it!"

Willow was expertly making her way through the crowded coffee shop before Tara could manage to utter a word.

When Tara arrived at the table, she was greeted with a triumphant smile. "I got it," Willow said, raising her eyebrows with pride. She looked back at the line and frowned again. The aroma of coffee was so rich that Willow could almost taste it. She turned back to Tara and smiled impishly.

"I see," Tara replied, with a shy smile. "Uhm, before we get in that line, I wanted to give you something." Willow's eyes lit up at the prospect and Tara grinned widely, "It's, well, you might think it's silly."

Willow shook her head, reached out and took the blonde's hand and whispered, "Never."

"Uhm, okay," Tara said, gathering her courage. Willow watched as Tara slowly took her hand back, and reached down to dig into the deep side pockets of her cargo pants.

Tara's shy half-smile only made Willow's grin widen. "It, uhm, two things, really," she started to explain, "and they aren't, uhm, wrapped or anything?"

Willow ears perked at Tara's words not only for their meaning, but also the inflection her shy friend often used when she was nervous. She couldn't help but find it adorable when Tara's shy statements came out as nervous questions. Willow often thought it was Tara's way of saying "if that's okay."

"Wrapped schmapped … wait, two?" Willow's eyes grew and Tara once again caught a glimpse of Young Willow. "For me? What's the occasion? Not that there has to be one, because I never look a gift horse in the mouth, not that I'm equating you to a horse, not that horses are bad, y'know, because you've told me horses don't like arm and that's why I was scared of them, and maybe ponies are different from horses, I don't know, but I just want you to know that I don't think that you, uhm, are a horse and can I have my pressies now?" The faces Willow made as her words came rushing out caused Tara to giggle, as they often did.

There it is again, Willow thought when she heard Tara's giggle. Willow couldn't help but wonder why her babbling brought that out of her shy friend. As she wondered, she kept her eyes expertly trained on the blonde.

"Uhm, okay, this," Tara said. Keeping one hand in her lap, she used the other to place a small notebook in front of Willow, "is, uhm, it's really, kinda corny, I guess." The small notebook was black with a gold foil moon and silver foil stars on the cover. Blue pastel powder served as stardust, trailing behind each star. In small, gold foil letters were the words Book of Shadows. "It's all the spells we've done. Uhm, since you like green, I

attached a green fountain pen and there're extra pages in the back. Y'know for spells we try later." Tara didn't let her eyes wander from the book.

"Tara," Willow breathed, "it's perfect." She lifted the front cover and turned the pages slowly. "Not corny … so beautiful," she whispered as her eyes scanned every page, remembering each spell. She smiled when she found the floating rose spell and squinted when she noticed an illustration in the margin. It was a graphite rose with a few petals from their rose expertly placed atop its lead stem to bring the sketch to life. "Did you," she said slowly, "Tara, did you make this?"

"Well, I did the cover and, uhm, drew some stuff," Tara replied with a wide smile. "It was nothing really. A little foil and a few sketches, y'know, the bulk of it, the spells, we both created."

What Tara didn't tell Willow was that she had searched every magic shop in Sunnydale and on-line for the right book to record their spells in, but none of them were special enough. Or that she spent hours on just the lettering for the cover. Willow didn't need to know that Tara had stayed up until the early morning hours thinking of the right illustration for each spell, and went through an entire box of charcoals and fourteen pencils practicing each sketch. The only thing she wanted Willow to know was that she treasured every second they spent together.

Willow's eyes caressed the cover again and then she looked up at Tara in awe. "This is the best present anyone's ever given me, Tara," she said gently.

Tara smiled, not making eye contact. "Uhm, this next thing isn't really a present as much as, well, something I want you to have while you're away."

She brought her hand out of her lap, and held it over the table with fingers curled into a ball. "It's very special and I'm giving it you with the understanding that you will bring it back to me safe and sound," Tara said. Her stutter was gone. She looked deeply into Willow's eyes and Willow could hear the seriousness in Tara's voice.

Willow slowly put her hand out, placing it under Tara's. Her green eyes were soft with understanding as she allowed herself to drown in the deep pools of blue in front of her. She felt something tickle her open palm and her gaze was forced downward.

Between Tara's thumb and forefinger was a chain from which an amber pendant dangled, lightly brushing against her palm.

"It was my mom's. She gave it to me,' Tara explained. "It was my 'promise necklace'."

"Tara," Willow's eyes were huge, "I can't, I mean, it was your mother's."

"You have to," Tara said in a tone Willow never heard before. It was almost urgent, not carefree like she knew her friend's spirit to be. "C-can I tell you a story?"

Willow nodded as she felt the necklace drop into her hand. She closed her thin fingers around it and her smile grew along with her anticipation for Tara's story. She loved hearing Tara make up stories about princesses or about lonely kittens finding the perfect family.

Nothing was as soothing to Willow as Tara's soft voice. Often, after a grueling night on patrol or a particularly bad day, all Willow wanted was to fall asleep listening to one of Tara's stories.

"One upon a time there was a little girl in a tree …”

"Tara? Sweetie, I know you're out here, Gideon told me," the woman's voice was soft as it wound its way through the trees where the young girl was hiding. "Baby, come on out, it's okay. Everything is okay."

Blue eyes peeked out from the treetop and a small voice floated to the ground, "Promise?"

The woman looked up with the same blue eyes and smiled. "Tara, baby, come down. Come sit with me."

A pair of blue Keds fell to the ground with a thud. The woman smiled sadly as she saw her daughter's form appear, clinging to the thick trunk of the tree. She carefully lowered herself from her hiding place, and once close enough, she let her six-year-old body fall the rest of the way to the ground.

"Hi," she said quietly, pulling a leaf from the back of her shirt. Her eyes focused on the young horse behind her mother. "He didn't really tell you, did he, mommy."

"Oh, yes he did. Gideon was very worried about you," her mother said with a smile, gathering the young girl into her arms. She sat on the mossy ground and used the tree to support her back. She felt a tug around her neck and sighed.

"Baby, your father's not angry at you. He just wants us to be safe. That's all. He can't keep us safe from the things he doesn't understand. But it's not you," she said soothingly.

"No," the young girl whispered as she played with the necklace her mother wore. "I make him angry all the time. He always yells and turns red." The tears in her eyes made it hard for her to focus on the intricate patterns frozen in the amber pendant she was holding.

"Baby," her mother coaxed, "it will be okay."

Tara's pony tail that, earlier in the morning, was pulled together neatly, was now threatening to spill golden tresses across her tiny shoulders. Delicately freeing the strands and running her fingers through it's softenss, she could feel her daughter soften in her hands.

"Here," she took her necklace off and held it in front of the child. "See this? This is amber. It's very special. This piece especially." She watched her daughter give her a dubious look. "You know the rhymes you help me with?" Tara nodded, remembering the smell of burning incense and the soft, chalky powder her mother used to make pretty designs. "I made a rhyme before I came here. A rhyme for you."

"For me?" She looked at the necklace in awe. "Special for me?" Her face fell, remembering her father yelling at her. "I don't deserve anything special, mommy."

"Tara, baby," her mother breathed out. A sadness fell over her as she heard her daughter's hope turn backward on itself. "Baby, you deserve everything special, you hear me? Everything." She lifted her daughter's chin to look into her eyes. "Did you know that there's only one thing more special than this amber on the entire earth?"

Tara shook her head, moving her eyes back to the pendant.

"No, mommy, nothing is more special than this. It's been rhymed," she said, smiling shyly at the woman. "You rhymed it for me." Tara grinned widely and reached around her mother's neck and hugged her closely. She gave her a kiss on the cheek and settled herself into her mother's lap again, leaving one hand to play with the long golden locks that fell across her mother's shoulder. After a few minutes of staring into the pendant, Tara let out a contented sigh.

Her mother kissed the top of her head and placed the necklace around her daughter's neck. "I'm giving the second most special thing on earth to the most special thing, but you have to make me a promise." She held the pendant up so they could both look into it. "See that?" she asked, pointing to a fleck in the amber. "That is a piece of something that was here long before you or I. This amber holds it, protects it. If you make a promise to me, it will hold it. It's 'promise stone' now, baby. It already holds a special promise I made for you. Now, can you make me a promise?"

"Anything, mommy," Tara said, her blue eyes glowing with wonderment.

"Promise that you won't let him, or anyone, change you." She tried to choose her words carefully.

She saw a face so much like her own looking back at her. "Promise me that, even when it gets bad, you won't give up that beautiful light in your eyes. Promise me, baby, that you'll be strong and you won't change for him, for anybody, " she whispered.

"Mommy?" Tara wanted to cry but she didn't know why exactly. "I promise." She rubbed the amber with her little thumb. "I promise, mommy."

"And did the little girl keep her promise?"

"Everyday," Tara replied.

"So, uhm, will you make a promise to me, Willow?" She almost couldn't bring herself to look at Willow.

"Of course, Tara, you name it," Willow said, looking down into the amber.

"Okay, promise that you will be careful on your trip," Tara said, feeling a slight blush creep across her face.

"… and," Willow prompted.

"And, uhm, and that's all." Tara finished with a giggle.

"Oh, okay, I can do that, I promise to have a safe vacation with the folks," Willow said, raising her left hand and holding her right hand, still clutching the necklace, over her heart.

"Good, uhm, I'll go get in line. But first," Tara said as she got up and took the necklace from Willow's hands. Her hands shook as she placed the necklace around Willow's neck.

With her right hand, she held the ends of the necklace together and used her left hand to moved Willow's hair out of the way. Willow shivered when she felt Tara's soft fingers brush the sensitive skin on the back of her neck. As she fastened the chain, Tara slowly let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"Okay, uhm, I'll be right back," She stated quickly, needing to put a little space between her and the redhead. "There's no need for us both to have to stand there. Besides, you need to keep the table for us. Uhm, the usual?" She was already moving toward the counter.

Willow nodded and smiled widely. She reached up and touched the necklace once more, noticing that under her hand her heart was pounding like it was going to explode. Willow began to play with a napkin to take her mind off of her racing pulse. She looked at the Espresso Pump logo emblazoned across the napkin and smiled. Taking the fountain pen from the book she was just given, she turned all the humps of the "p"s and the "o" in the name to hearts.

She looked over to the line and saw that Tara had only moved forward about three feet. Tara felt someone watching her and turned around to see Willow. She smiled and gave her a quick wave. Willow's smile quickly turned into a grin that would make the Cheshire Cat jealous.

Dearest Tara,

I will cherish this book forever. Not because I need reminding of our spells, but because it's a history of our friendship. Everything is here, right down to a petal from the kamikaze rose. You have handed me every moment we've shared and it's the most wonderful gift I could ever get.

Looking at it, I see you. The gold lettering, your hair. The blue powder, your eyes. The little crescent moon, that half smile that melts my heart. The paper, your pale skin. . And all of the wonderful things inside are all from somewhere inside of you.That's the part I will treasure the most.

And the necklace, Tara, I can't even put my feelings into words. It's so magnificent. Your story was so beautiful, more beautiful than the amber itself. What did I do to deserve your friendship, or even a small piece your pure, sweet heart?

Why can't I just tell you? Why does it have to be so hard? I am just so scared to lose this. I can't lose the one person that makes my stomach jittery while all the while makes me feel so calm. I can't lose waking up with a smile from the simple knowledge that I will be seeing you sometime during the day. Just having you in my life is so crucial that it doesn't matter if it's only as a friend.

There are three words I want to whisper to you over and over: 'forever and ever.' Because, if you knew how I rush to see you everyday or hate leaving you, if only to go to class and come right back, the fact that I love you would be painfully clear."

Willow looked at the napkin again. Her words surrounded the coffeehouse logo and left only a small empty space at the bottom. In her best script, Willow filled the space with large letters, each hooking into the next. With a satisfied smile, she slipped the napkin into her jacket pocket and waited for Tara to arrive with her mocha.

*End Part III*

Post subject: Re: Part III
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:13 pm 
That was so sweet! I love your portrayal of Tara as a kid. "You rhymed it for me"...that was priceless. And Willow's letter was so touching. You write them so well. I'm hooked. I am very much looking forward to your next part. Thanks a lot!

-- Ali

"Straight,” Joel huffed, rolling his eyes. “That’s like, two drinks and a light switch away from being totally gay" - Final Exam by tommo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:01 pm 
willowphile410: Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying it. I've about ... *calculating* 4 more part to post.

I'll do another tomorrow ... JD

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:14 pm 
You've made me all giddy !!!

This is just the way I like to think of them in the

very beginning - so adorable !!!

...ooops , back to work

Tracy

"It's all about emotional control"

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:28 pm 
That was beautiful, jdcioffi...simply beautiful. I can't wait for more.. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:29 pm 
Ooohh,,, so now Willow has an airplane AND a napkin for the finding... I can't wait for Tara to stumble across these precious treasures!

Woo and Hoo

DarkWiccan

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:30 pm 
love the building...

but now it's love plane and love napkin ready for take off

smile

bravo

k

"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:31 pm 
Sorry... for some reason my note double posted... weird

Edited by: DarkWiccan at: 5/20/02 9:35:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next