The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fic: Love Will Prevail
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:11 pm 
Rating: PG-13

Spoilers: All up to Wrecked.

Summery: Willow finally comes to her senses.

Note: None of these characters belong to me. Joss is the lucky son of a gun who owns them.

Note 2: I’ve changed a couple of things. 1; Buffy doesn’t find out where Willow took Dawn in Wrecked. 2; Buffy and Spike were looking for Willow and Dawn because they were late home, not because Buffy knew where they were. 3; At the end of Wrecked Willow and Dawn’s crash was more serious.

Love Will Prevail.

The hospital doors flew open and two doctors rushed in, pushing a young woman on a trolley. The woman’s face was pale and she was wearing an oxygen mask. Another doctor appeared at the side of the trolley. The second doctor took the clipboard off the end of the trolley and passed it the first doctor.

Doc3: Name?

Doc3: Willow Rosenberg, twenty years old, and a student at Sunnydale UC. Next of kin, mother. Shelia Rosenberg. But we haven’t been able to get a hold of her mother or her father as of yet.

Doc1: Any other contacts listed?

Doc3: Uh…. Yes. Tara Maclay. It doesn’t say what relation.

Doc1: Is her address or telephone number listed?

Doc3: Yes.

Doc1: Get right on that.

Doc3: Yes, sir.

The doctor placed the clipboard onto the end of the trolley and disappeared into a room. The two remaining doctors made their way into the ER room.

Doc2: What’s her condition.

The doctor pushed the trolley into position and replaced the oxygen mask with another one. He took the clipboard and put on his glasses.

Doc1: Severe head trauma, possible broken ribs, numerous cuts to the face and neck.

Doc2: God, what’s this girl been up to?

Doc1: Says here she was involved in a car accident. The impact of the crash blew the windscreen. It doesn’t say how it happened…. But there was someone else in the car with her. Dawn Summers, next of kin Buffy Summers.

Doc2: I remember those two. Their mother was diagnosed with a brain tumour sometime last year. She died shortly after she was released.

Doc1: So Buffy is her sister?

The second doctor nodded before walking to the cabinet that was near the door of the ER room. He took out a number of needles and bottles of liquid and filled the first needle.

Doc1: Miss Summers also suffered multiple head injuries, she was brought in by her sister just before Miss Rosenberg. Her condition is stable…. For now at least.

The second doctor finished injecting the liquids into Willow’s arm and began to clean the cuts on her head and neck.

Doc2: How bad is it?

The first doctor looked at the monitor and sighed.

Doc1: It’s not good.

Waiting room.

Buffy sat in the chair and ran her fingers though her hair. How could Willow have been so stupid? Buffy didn’t know the whole story, but Dawn was in hospital and as far as Buffy knew it was Willow’s fault. And she didn’t know if she could forgive Willow for that.

Tara’s hotel room.

Tara’s eyes flew open and she sat bolt up right in the bed. She didn’t remember going to sleep and she didn’t remember what had woken her up. Whatever it was had left her with a feeling of dread and…. There was something else. Something she couldn’t put her finger on, but she knew it had something to do with Willow. She could feel it. Tara’s mobile phone began to ring, and the blonde practically leapt for it.

Tara: H-hello?

Doc: Miss Tara Maclay?

Tara: Speaking.

Doc: Hello. My name is Doctor James Redford. I’m calling from Sunnydale hospital. I understand you know a Miss Willow Rosenberg?

The colour drained from Tara’s face.

Tara: Y-yes.

Doc: She was brought in a little while ago. She was involved in a car accident.

Tara: Oh my….

Tara trailed off. Trying to stop the tears from coming.

Tara: H-how is she?

Tara heard the doctor sigh.

Doc: Her condition isn’t good. She is still unconscious at the moment and has suffered head trauma. I’ve been instructed to ask you to come down to the hospital, will you-

Tara: I’ll b-be right there.

Hospital waiting room.

Buffy paced back and forth awaiting news on Dawn’s condition. The waiting room was empty apart from the slayer, an old woman and a man Buffy assumed was the woman’s husband.

Doc: Miss Summers?

Buffy spun around and came face to face with a young woman who didn’t look much older than herself. She was dressed in blue orthopaedic top and trousers and a long white coat.

Buffy: Yes?

Doc: I’m Doctor Jane Mason, Dawn’s doctor.

Buffy: How is she?

Doc: Not good I’m afraid. When you brought her in her condition was stable, but she has gotten worse.

Buffy tried to stay clam.

Doc: Her head injuries were enough to render her unconscious, and despite how much we’ve tried she isn’t waking up.

Buffy: She going to be okay, isn’t she?

Doc: It’s too early to tell.

Buffy sat down and tried to hold the tears back. She couldn’t believe Willow had done this.

Doc: The other woman who was brought in by…. A Mr Alexander Harris…. Willow Rosenberg was driving the car, do you have any idea what caused the crash?

Buffy: No.

Buffy didn’t know. But she was going to find out.

Seconds later, the doors of the waiting flew open and a very distressed looking Tara ran in and towards the reception desk.

Tara: I’m h-here to see Willow R-Rosenberg.

Receptionist: Name?

Tara: T-Tara Maclay.

Receptionist: I’ll get a doctor to come down and see you straight away. Please take a seat.

Tara walked away from the desk, he head was spinning and she felt as if she was about to faint.

Buffy: Tara?

Tara looked up to find Buffy sitting in the waiting room, looking upset.

Tara: Buffy.

Buffy got out of her seat and pulled Tara into a hug.

Buffy: How are you?

Tara: Not good.

Buffy sat down and Tara took the seat next to her.

Tara: Do you know what happened?

Buffy: Car crash. I don’t know how the crash happened but Willow was driving. Xander brought her in when I called him to tell him what had happened, I brought Dawn in afterwards.

Tara: Dawn?

Tara looked confused. What did Dawn have to do with this?

Buffy: Didn’t they tell you? Dawn was in the car with Willow.

Tara was thankful she was sitting down, because she was sure her legs would have given way is she was standing.

Tara: What?

Buffy: Willow took Dawn out, you know, to spend some time with her. I don’t know where they went, but me and Spike were out looking for them because it had gone eleven and they still hadn’t come home, and when we found them…. They were in someone’s car. Me and Spike got there in time to see the car crash into the wall.

Tears fell from Buffy’s eyes and Tara just stared blankly ahead. Her expression unreadable.

Tara: I’m so sorry, Buffy. H-how is she?

Buffy wiped the tears from her eyes, but they just kept coming.

Buffy: Not good. She’s unconscious, the doctors are trying everything, but she isn’t waking up.

Tara: I’m s-sorry…. H-how’s Willow?

Buffy: Oh, god, Willow.

The tears came again and even though Buffy was angry at Willow, she couldn’t stand the fact that her best friend was in such a critical condition.

Buffy: They…. They haven’t updated me on her condition, but….

Buffy: It isn’t good, Tara.

The blonde stared at Buffy for a few moments before braking down into tears. The waiting room seemed to go quiet and Tara felt as if time had stopped. Was this really happening? Two doctors rushed past Buffy and Tara, and in the direction of the hospital room Dawn was in.

Doc1: …. Patient has taken a turn for the worst. Get a hold of doctor Samson. Tell him we need him straight away, it’s urgent.

Doc2: I’m on it.

Doc1: Go. Now.

The second doctor ran towards the elevator and Buffy approached the first doctor before he entered Dawn hospital room.

Buffy: Excuse me.

Doc1: I’m sorry miss, I’m in quite a hurry.

Buffy: What’s wrong with Dawn? I overheard you and the other doctor…. Is she okay?

Buffy’s voice was desperate.

Doc1: Are you family?

Buffy: I’m her sister! Will you please tell me what’s wrong?!

Doc1: I’m not aware of all the details-

Buffy: Just tell me what you know.

Waiting room, an hour later.

Xander, Anya, Buffy and Tara were all gathered in the waiting room. Xander paced up and down, while Anya stood next to Tara. Buffy sat in the chair with her head in her hands.

Xander: This isn’t happening. It’s all a dream.

Anya: More like a nightmare. Except with out the bunnies.

Xander stopped pacing for a second, Tara frowned and Buffy looked up at Anya.

Anya: What?

A doctor made his way to where they were gathered, his expression was sombre.

Doc: I’m afraid I have some bad news.

Buffy stood.

Doc: I’m afraid Dawn’s condition is growing worse by the minute….

Buffy: What?

The doctor sighed heavily.

Doc: Dawn fell into a serious coma half an hour ago…. She’s going to be moved to ICU.

Buffy: What? But she, she just took a blow to the head, nothing big. How can she be in a coma?! You’re lying!

Buffy became hysterical. Dawn was the only family she had left. Xander came behind Buffy and tried to pull the slayer into a hug, but Buffy tried to pull away. When Xander refused to let her go, she started pounding her fists onto Xander’s chest. No matter how much being pounded on by the slayer hurt him, Xander kept trying to calm Buffy down, and finally he managed to. The slayer practically fell into Xander’s arms, tears streaming down her face.

Xander: It’s going to be okay, Buffy. It’s all going to be okay.

Although Xander was trying to be positive, he didn’t know how long he was going to be able to hold it together before he broke down.

Willow’s hospital room.

Three doctors were standing around Willow’s bed.

Doc1: How’s she doing?

Doc2: It’s not good, but there were signs of her recovering earlier. It isn’t as bad as it was when she first arrived.

Doc1: Did you manage to get in touch with Miss Maclay?

Doc2: Yes.

Doc1: Go to the waiting room and update her on Miss Rosenberg’s condition.

The second doctor nodded before leaving the hospital room.

Doc3: How bad is it?

Doc1: There’s a good chance she will pull through…. But I’m not certain about anything. She really has had a tough time and I’m surprised she made it this far.

Doc3: She was really that bad when she was brought in?

Doc1: I’ve never seen anything like it. She was totally unresponsive. Whatever it is she’s been up to, I hope she does the right thing and gets out before it take over her.

Waiting room.

Tara covered her mouth as she yawned. It was past two and she was exhausted. She hadn’t heard anything on Willow yet, and was becoming increasingly worried by the minute.

Doc2: Miss Maclay?

Tara walked towards the doctor, her face filled with worry.

Tara: Th-that’s me.

Doc2: Are you family of Miss Rosenberg?

Tara: No, I’m her girl-

Tara stopped herself. She wasn’t Willow’s girlfriend anymore.

Tara: I’m a f-friend.

The gang noted the sadness in Tara’s voice as she said this.

Doc2: It was touch and go for a moment…. But it looks as if Miss Rosenberg is going to be okay.

Tara: Thank god….

Doc2: As long as she keeps fighting, she’s going to be fine.

Tara sat back down in the chair and held her head in her hands. Buffy got up and approached the doctor.

Buffy: Have you heard anything about Dawn?

Doc2: Dawn isn’t my patient…. But I can find out how she’s doing if you’d like.

Buffy: If you would.

The doctor disappeared into a room and Buffy turned to Xander.

Buffy: Xander, tell me she’s going to be okay…. I can’t have her leave me too. I couldn’t deal, I-I-I just couldn’t.

Xander: She’s going to be fine, Buffy. Dawn’s a fighter.

Buffy nodded.

Buffy: You’re right. She’ll be okay.

Xander walked slowly towards Tara and sat in the seat next to her.

Xander: How you holding up?

Tara: I’m much better knowing W-Willow’s going to be okay.

Xander: You….

Xander: Never mind.

Dawn room in ICU.

Doc: You can go in and see her now.

Buffy stepped through the door, saw her sister lying in the bed with tubes covering most of her and a bandages wrapped around her head and her arms and instantly felt her legs give way. She fell to the floor and brought her knees up to her chin, wrapping her arms around them.

Doc: I know it’s a lot to take in, seeing her like this-

Buffy: You have no idea.

Willow’s hospital room.

Xander sat in the chair at the side of bed and took hold of Willow’s hand.

Xander: Hey Wills. It’s me, Xander. Listen, you’ve got to wake up. We all need you right now. Buffy, me…. Even Anya.

Xander laughed quietly.

Xander: You know what the first thing she said when she got here was? She said, Where’s Willow? Is she okay? She’s okay isn’t she?

Xander smiled, but as he looked at his best friend his smile faded.

Xander: Willow…. Tara’s here. She’s worried about you too. I can tell she misses you…. She has this look. The kinda look you get when you know you’ve lost something that was special to you…. The kinda look I’d get if you left me. I don’t want to get that look, Willow. That’s why you have to wake up.

Willow didn’t respond. All that good be heard in the room was the bleeping of Willow’s monitor. Xander got up to leave as Tara appeared in the doorway.

Xander: Hey.

Tara: Hey. Are you…. ?

Xander: Yeah. Go ahead.

Xander made his was out of the room and as he passed by Tara he lifted his arm and let it rest on her shoulder for a moment, before leaving the room.

Tara took the seat next to Willow’s bed and took in the sight before her. She had hoped she’d never have to see Willow like this, but here she was, in Willow’s hospital room, looking the person she thought she’d be with forever.

She took Willow’s hand in her own and began talking to the read head in hushed voice.

Tara: Hey you. It’s Tara. I know I’m probably the last person you want to see right now…. But the, um, the doctor called me and told me what happened…. I had to come, Willow. I needed to know if you were okay.

Tara sighed.

Tara: What happened, Willow? Why did you crash?

Tara knew deep down why. She knew it had something to do with magic, but she didn’t want to admit it to herself. She wanted so much to believe that Willow had stopped using magic.

Hospital, hours later.

Buffy walked down the now quiet hallway, on her way to Willow’s hospital room. She’d spent the last five hours with Dawn. Hoping that her sister would wake up, but she didn’t. Buffy was sure she was all cried out. Seeing Dawn lying in the hospital bed had torn Buffy up inside, and she didn’t know if she could take seeing her best friend the same way.

Xander had returned to the waiting room a couple of hours ago after seeing Dawn, Anya went with him, and now Xander was sitting in a chair with Anya’s head resting in his lap. His fiancée had fallen asleep awhile ago, but Xander had found it more challenging to escape to the land of slumber.

As Buffy approached Willow’s room, she saw a figure sitting in the chair next to the bed.

When Buffy got no answer she walked into the room and noticed that Tara was fast asleep in the chair, still holding Willow’s hand tightly.

Buffy crouched down next to the chair and shook Tara lightly.

Tara: ….W-Willow?

Buffy: No…. it’s me. Buffy.

Tara sat upright and rubbed her eyes.

Tara: What time is it?

Buffy looked at her watch.

Buffy: Wow…. Five fifty-six. Tara, what are you still doing here? I thought you went home hours ago.

Tara: N-no. I um, I wanted to stay…. I guess I must have d-dropped off.

Silence fell over the room as Tara looked at Willow. Buffy saw that Tara’s eyes were puffy and red, and knew that Tara had hardly stopped crying since she had got to the hospital. Tara’s eyes were also filled with sadness. Buffy could see the pain Tara was in seeing Willow like this. Even though she and Willow weren’t together anymore, she knew that Tara still loved Willow and that Willow still loved Tara. But because of what Willow had done to Tara, Tara couldn’t trust the person she loved anymore. And it hurt her more than words could say.

Buffy: You should go. Get some rest. I’ll call you if anything changes.

Tara: I-I think I’m j-just going to, um, stay a while. I want to make sure Willow’s…. okay.

Buffy nodded.

Buffy: Mind if I join you?

Tara: Pull up a chair.

Buffy did as she was told and sat in the chair on the opposite side of Willow’s bed.

Buffy: Has there been any change in her condition?

Tara: No. I thought I saw her eyes open for a second…. But I guess it was just wishful thinking.

An hour later, Buffy left the room to give Xander some company. She was tired, that much was obvious, but she wouldn’t admit to it. The slayer was stubborn like that. Tara however was very much awake, and she hadn’t let go of Willow’s hand yet. She wanted to spend as much time as possible being this close to Willow, until Willow woke up and…. And then Tara would have to go back to staying away from her. It was hard, but Tara knew it was what she had to do. The next thing Tara did, she probably shouldn’t have done, but she’d done it before she had chance to stop herself. Quietly, she lifted herself onto the bed and lay down next to Willow. She slowly let her arm wrap around the red head stomach, and sighed. Memories of all the times she’d done this before came flooding back and Tara tried to fight back the tears. Tara reached out to tuck a lock of hair that had fallen over Willow’s face behind the witch’s ear and smiled. She missed this. Being close to Willow, the little touches they’d share. Holding Willow’s hand, she missed it all. And now Willow was had been involved in a car crash and Tara didn’t know what to do anymore. Tara took hold of Willow’s hand again. Tara froze. She was sure she had just felt Willow’s hand squeeze her own. Tara turned her head and looked at Willow. Her eyes were still closed.

“More wishful thinking, Tara.”

Suddenly Tara felt Willow grip her hand and say one word that was filled with love.

Willow: T…. Tara…. ?

What was she going to do? She didn’t want to move, but she didn’t want to let herself get hurt anymore. Which she was sure was going to happen if she left herself get involved in any way with Willow. Willow was still doing magic, and after what she had done to Tara, Tara couldn’t be with Willow while she was still practising magic. Not after what had happened. But Tara found she couldn’t move. She didn’t want to. She really didn’t want to. Tara didn’t want to leave the warmth she always found when she was close to Willow. She remembered when Willow would hold her at night. It was as if the rest of the world would fade away and only people that were left were she and Willow. She loved those moments, and it killed her to think that there would be no more of them. So Tara stayed where she was, and hoped that Willow wouldn’t object to her current position.

Tara: I’m here, Willow.

Willow: Wh….

Tara: Sshhh. It’s o-okay. Don’t talk…. Rest Willow.

Willow: D-don’t….

Willow struggled with her words and her voice was groggy. It took all of the strength she had, but she finally got the words out.

Willow: Don’t…. leave…. Me….

Tara’s heart broke.

Willow’s hospital room.

Another hour had passed before Willow opened her eyes. She awoke to find Tara lying beside her, snuggled as close as she could get to Willow.

“What…. Tara’s here? Where am I? What happened? I can’t…. Dawn. Oh god.”

Willow tried to get out of the bed without waking the sleeping blonde next to her, but Tara woke up and soon as Willow moved away from her.

Tara: W-Willow…. You’re awake?

Willow stayed silent.

Tara: Are-are you okay?

Willow: I’m…. feeling a bit…. Not good.

Willow tried to smile, but she couldn’t. Seeing Tara lying here with her made her wonder. Did Tara…. No. Impossible.

Tara: I, um, I’ll-I’ll go fetch Buffy.

Tara got started to get off the bed, but she felt a hand on her shoulder.

Willow: Don’t…. don’t go. Please?

Tara knew she should leave, but she couldn’t. Tara sighed and sat on the bed across from Willow. Willow sat up and looked straight ahead, not sure if she was ready to meet Tara’s eyes.

Tara: Do you remember w-what happened?

Willow nodded slowly and licked her lips. She was thirsty.

Willow: I, um…. I’m just going to get a soda.

Tara: N-no. You should stay here, I’ll g-get you a soda.

Tara left the room and returned a couple of minutes later with a bottle of mineral water.

Tara: The, the nurse said that you um, could only drink water so….

Willow: Water’s fine, thanks.

Willow took the bottle from Tara and as she did, their hands touched. Even though it was just for a second, it brought out feelings in the both of them. They felt the energy flow between them like lightning. Willow took her chance and looked at Tara, who was looking down at the bottle and their hands.

Tara: I…. Um….

Tara dropped her hand back down to her side and looked at the floor.

Willow: Thanks.

Tara: You said that already.

Tara looked up and half-smiled at Willow. Willow opened the bottle and took a sip.

Willow: I guess you want to know what happened….

Tara: O-only if you want t-to tell me.

Willow: I do. Want to tell you. But…. You’re not going to like what I’m going to tell you, Tara.

Willow stopped for a moment.

Willow: Maybe I shouldn’t tell you.

Tara: Willow…. J-just because we’re not t-together anymore….

Tara sighed. She couldn’t do this.

Tara: M-maybe you sh-shouldn’t tell me. I’ll g-go and get B-Buffy.

Willow: Tara, wait ple-

Willow was cut off by the door closing. It took everything she had to stop herself from crying.

Waiting room.

Tara rushed into the waiting room.

Tara: Buffy? Buffy, Willow’s awake.

Buffy: What?

Tara: She’s awake.

Buffy rushed into Willow’s room, while Tara took a breath before looking around the waiting room. Xander and Anya were asleep.

“Maybe I should go and see how Dawn’s doing.”

Willow’s room.

Willow: Buffy.

The slayer walked over to her best-friend and pulled her carefully into a hug.

Buffy: Willow, are you okay?

Willow: I…. I’ve been better.

Buffy pulled away and sat down in the chair.

Buffy: I know you probably don’t want to be questioned right now but…. Do you remember what happened?

Willow: I remember most of it. Some parts a still pretty hazy.

Buffy: You feel up to tell me what you remember?

Willow nodded and started telling Buffy as much as she remembered.

Willow: I guess it all started when I brought Amy back. She decided it would be fun to go out and well, look for some fun. We went to The Bronze and…. Messed around a bit there.

Buffy’s eyes widened.

Willow: Oh, no! Not like that…. With out magic!

Buffy let out a sigh of relief and let Willow continue.

Willow: Amy soon got bored at The Bronze and she…. She took me to this place.

Buffy: What kind of place.

Willow knew she had to tell Buffy what had happened.

Willow: A magick dealer.

Buffy frowned before standing up.

Buffy: A dealer? Like a drug dealer only for magic?

Willow nodded.

Buffy: Why, Willow. Why the hell would you go to a place like that?!

Willow: I know…. I shouldn’t….

Buffy: Get to the part about you, Dawn and the car.

Willow: Like I told you, I was going to take Dawn out to see a movie…. But we didn’t get there.

Buffy: Why not?

Willow took a shaky breath before looking down at her lap.

Willow: Because…. Because I had to go back to that place….

Buffy: What?!

Buffy threw her hands in the air.

Willow: I was only going to be in there for a second…. But, but it took longer…. It was late when Dawn and me left, but I didn’t want to go home…. Too busy getting a buzz off the magick, I guess. I tried to convince Dawn not to leave, but she insisted that she was going home, that’s when the demon attacked us.

Buffy: Demon?

Willow: He said I’d cause hell with my magic and that I’d have to pay. At first I thought he was just a hallucination, because of the magick…. But then he lashed out at Dawn. We tried to get away from it, but it was too fast. So I broke into a car…. I think, I don’t remember…. The next thing I remember is the wall….

Willow trailed off and began to cry.

Buffy: You mean, my sister is in a coma because you got high on magic?!

Willow: What?

Willow lifted her head, tears falling down her face.

Willow: Dawn…. Dawn’s in a coma?

Buffy: Yeah.

Willow: And…. And it’s all my fault. Buffy…. I, I’m so sorry.

Buffy: It’s too late for that Willow.

Beat.

Buffy: This had gone to far. Tara was right, you’re using too much magic, Willow. I never thought I’d have to say this…. It’s either the magic…. Or us.

Willow: You. You guys. I could never choose magic over my friends.

Buffy: You chose it over Tara. Think about it, Will.

With that, Buffy left Willow alone with her thoughts.

Summer’s house.

Buffy was talking to someone on the telephone.

Buffy: I need you here…. Willow needs you here. I know…. But…. She can’t do this without you, Giles. Okay. Thanks.

Buffy hung up the phone and walked into the living room. Xander, Anya and Tara were all sitting on the sofa awaiting news on how the phone call had gone.

Xander: Well?

Buffy: He’s going to get the next flight back.

Tara: Good. It is good, isn’t it?

Buffy: If anyone can get Willow through this, it’s Giles. He knows more about this any of us. With the exception of Tara I mean.

Anya: Giles is coming back? He’s coming back…. But he isn’t taking the store away from me, is he?

Anya look horrified at the thought of someone taking the store away from her now. Xander put his arm around her comfortingly.

Xander: No ones taking anything away from you, Ahn.

Anya: Good. I’ve only just got rid of that old, English man smell from the shop.

Buffy shook her head and turned to Tara.

Buffy: Are you going to be okay?

Tara: Yeah. Just…. Let me know how Willow does, okay?

Buffy: Sure. Do you have a place to stay?

Tara: I’m, um, I’m staying at a h-hotel…. I’ll write my number down f-for you.

Buffy walked out of the room to fetch Tara a pen and some paper.

Xander: Tara, do you think Willow will be able to do this? Give up magick for good?

Tara sighed. She’d been asking herself the same question ever since Buffy had told them what Willow had said.

Tara: I hope so, Xander.

“I really do.”

Summer’s house three days later. Late afternoon.

Xander had driven to the hospital to pick Willow up after she had been given the all clear by the hospital that morning. Willow still didn’t look too good. Her face was pale, and her eyes seemed dark. Like they’d lost their Willow-ness, their spark. But the doctors had said she was okay to go home.

Dawn’s condition had gone from bad to worse and Buffy was spending every spare second she had at her sister’s hospital bed. It was hard with slaying and everything, but Buffy’s number one priority was Dawn.

A knock on the front door brought Buffy out of the kitchen and away from her washing up. A thing she was grateful for. Buffy opened the door to reveal Xander and Willow standing on the doorstep, Xander’s arm around Willow’s waist supporting the young witch.

Xander: Little help here?

Buffy took Willow off Xander and helped her walk slowly into the living room. Buffy took one glance at Willow and knew that she still was nowhere near 100%. She really didn’t look well at all. Buffy sat Willow down on the sofa and took the seat next to her.

Willow: Thanks.

Buffy: How you feeling?

Willow: Not so good. But I’m getting there.

They was a slightly awkward silence between them before Xander came in.

Xander: So, how’s my favourite slayer and her wit-

Xander stopped and mentally kicked himself for almost saying that.

Xander: Uh….and her Willow-y type…. Friend….

Willow: Xander, it’s okay. I’m not gonna go off the deep end every time you call me a witch.

Xander: I know that.

Xander paused.

Xander: At least I do now.

Willow: You guys don’t have to be all wiggy around me. I’m going to do this. It’s gonna be tough…. But I’m going to do this.

Xander: And we believe you, right Buffy?

Buffy didn’t answer Xander and the awkward silence returned to the room. Xander laughed nervously, more to himself. He turned his head suddenly, as if listening to someone.

Xander: What’s that? Aires has got Xena and Gabrielle trapped in Tartarus?! I’ll be right there!

Xander walked hurriedly out of the room while two bewildered looking women watched him leave.

Willow: That was weird.

Buffy: That was Xander.

Willow: We’ve really got to stop him watching Xena.

Buffy: Yeah, Anya wasn’t too please when he moaned Gabrielle’s name in his sleep.

Buffy grinned at Willow before looking down.

Buffy: Will…. I kinda hate myself for thinking these things and wanted to ask these questions….

Buffy looked up.

Buffy: But I need to get it off my chest, otherwise it’s going to eat away at me. You understand?

Willow nodded.

Buffy: What you did, taking Dawn to that, that place…. Was a big mistake Willow…. But I can forgive you for that, given time.

Buffy’s eyes were filled with pain as she spoke her next words.

Buffy: But because you were high from the magick…. You crashed a car and put Dawn into a coma, Willow. Because of your addiction…. Dawn might not be alive next week. I might…. I don’t think I can forgive you for that.

Willow: Buffy please-

Buffy: No, Willow. You have to see where I’m coming from. A sorry won’t cut it this time. I don’t know how I’m going to be able to trust you again. With Dawn, or the gang. Look at what you did to Tara. She doesn’t trust you anymore Willow, she can’t. You violated her mind…. Made her feel like she wasn’t safe. Made her feel like she did when Glory took everything away from her. Do you understand what you did to her? You made her feel…. Lost, Willow.

Willow stared at Buffy for a moment before braking down into tears.

Willow: God, Buffy. What have I done? How could I do that to Tara? How could I do that to Dawn…. To you…. To everyone?

The slayer pulled Willow into a hug. Buffy hated having to see Willow like this, but the red head had to know what she had put Tara though. It was the only way Willow would see sense and give up this dark magick for good.

Summers’ house. Later that night.

Willow was still sat in the living room. Buffy had left for slaying about ten minuets ago, and Willow was alone. Which was how she felt most of the time now Tara was gone.

Willow sighed and stood up. Making her way to her bedroom, she began going over everything she and Tara had been though. Every little touch they’d shared, the flirting that had gone on in the ‘early days’, she had everything memorized. Willow opened the door to her room and walked over to the radio. Switching it on, she lay down on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Listing to the music as it played.

into the mirror

I guess that I was blind

Now my reflection’s getting clearer

Now that you’re gone things will never

Be the same again>

Tears began to fall from Willow’s eyes as the words of the song hit her.

every hour of every day

You’re such a part of me

But I just pulled away

Well, I’m not the same girl

You used to know

I wish I said the words I never showed>

Willow began to think about the first time she saw Tara. At the Wicca meeting. Not a real witch in the bunch, apart from Tara. She remembered the energy that surged through her when their hands touched in the laundry room and closed her eyes. God she missed Tara so much.

I died just a little, and I feel that now

You’re the one I need

I believe that I would cry just a little

Just to have you back now

Here with me

Here with me>

The tears fell and Willow began to drift into a world of her own. The silence in the room was deafening and she could hear her heart beating loudly.

You hear is your heart

And I wanted so badly just to be apart

Of something strong and true

But I was scared and left it all behind>

Willow remembered when Oz came back and the look on Tara’s face when he showed up at Giles’. She remembered how scared and upset Tara had looked when Willow had showed up at her dorm after Oz left. Willow closed her eyes and pictured it in her head.

~Hey~

~Hey~

~Tara…. I have to tell you- ~

~N-no, I understand. You have to be with the person you l-love~

~I am~

All the ‘I love you’s’ came flooding back. The dances they’d shared at The Bronze, their first kiss.

I died just a little, and I feel it now

You’re the one I need

Here with me

Here with me

And I’m asking

And I’m wanting you to come back to me

Please?>

All the times she’d caught Tara looking at her and vice versa. When Glory had brain-sucked Tara and Willow spent every day by her side, taking care of her. And when her spell on Glory worked, and Tara came back to her. The nights spent snuggled close, and Tara singing to her in the park when Xander summoned the singing demon.

Then the more painful memories forced their way into Willow’s mind.

The fight they’d had at The Bronze while looking for Dawn and when Willow had made the mistake of putting a spell on Tara to make her forget it. Willow remembered how she felt when she was putting the spell on Tara. She didn’t feel anything. It was over to quick for her to be able to think anything. She didn’t think twice about it. She must have known she was in over her head before that, mustn’t she? The look on Tara’s face when she found out about the spell Willow had cast after she had told her that it was either the magick or she’d leave, filled her mind.

Your face

How you turned away and left

Without a trace

But I understand that you did what you

Had to do

And I thank you>

If it hadn’t been for Tara leaving, Willow might have never realised what the magick was doing to her.

I died just a little, and I feel that know

You’re the one I need

Here with me

Here with me>

Willow rolled over and closed her eyes again. She cried herself to sleep, visions of Tara in her head.

Magic box, next day.

Anya was serving a customer when the door of the magic box opened and Tara walked in. Buffy and Xander both looked up to see who had entered.

Buffy: Hey Tara.

Xander: How goes it?

Tara: Good. P-pretty good. How’s Willow?

Anya ran from around the counter and slapped Xander hard on the shoulder.

Anya: Less than two minutes, pay up.

Tara: W-what?

Xander stood up and wrapped his arm around Anya’s shoulder.

Xander: Oh, ah, nothing. Just a game Anya and me like to play.

Anya: What are you-

Xander: Anya.

Xander smiled nervously at Tara who looked confused.

Anya: Oh. Okay. Fine. But if you really wanna play a game, we could get dressed up again or pretend that you’re that fireman with the big-

Xander: Hose!! Fire hose!! Gosh would you look at the time. Anya you’d better get back to your work and I…. I have to go crawl into a corner and die….

Xander rushed behind one of the huge book cases and stayed there.

Anya: Xander, you don’t have a watch. How could you know the time? And the store is empty. How am I going to work?

Tara and Buffy looked at each other and both started laughing.

Summer’s house.

Willow was still in bed. All her magic things had been taken out of the house the day Willow had come out of hospital by Buffy and she hadn’t done a single spell in four days. She wiped her forehead for what seemed like the millionth time. She was sweating and had a very painful headache, but still she stayed in bed. Buffy had to her to stay in bed and not come to the magic box because Tara might be there. This just made Willow even more upset, but even more determined to give up magick. She wanted Tara to be able to trust her again and the only way the could happen, was if Willow gave up magick. For good.

Magick box.

Xander and Buffy were talking amongst themselves. Tara was sat at the table next to Buffy. She hadn’t done much but think of Willow all day. Tara sighed as she thought of Willow and looked down at the book that was laying open in front of her.

“Everything you need to know about memory loss.”

Tara: W-what’s this for?

Buffy glanced at the book.

Buffy: Oh, it’s a book for Willow. She asked me to pick it up for her.

Tara: Willow’s…. d-doing a s-spell?

Tara’s heart broke in two. Had Willow broken her promise again? Buffy turned to Tara and gasped.

Buffy: Oh, no. She isn’t doing any spells. She asked me to get the book for her so she could look up something about memory loss, hence the name of the book. She can’t remember much about what happened that night…. And she wanted to see if there was any way she could remember without her actually doing a spell…. Huh, I really know nothing about magic…. But if you want to talk to her about it….

Buffy tailed off. Tara probably didn’t want to talk to Willow right now.

Buffy: I uh…. I mean….

Tara: It-it’s okay, Buffy. I think I need to talk to W-Willow anyway.

Summers’ house, later that day.

Tara knocked on the Summers’ front door and waited. She was kind of nervous about seeing Willow after what had happened at the hospital. She knew Buffy had told Willow about how Tara had felt when Willow betrayed her as well, and wondered how Willow took it.

After a few minutes, there was still no answer and Tara knocked again.

Meanwhile, upstairs in Willow’s room, the red head was staring at the ceiling, sweat dripping off her. Hey eyes were wide and she looked as if she was in pain. She thought she heard a knock on the door, but she had hardly any strength and couldn’t get out of the bed.

Tara was beginning to worry now. She had knocked three times and still there was no answer. She knew Willow was home, because Buffy had told her. Tara twisted the door handle and the door opened quietly. The house was quiet. Really quiet. Tara closed the door behind her and walked into the living room. No Willow. Willow wasn’t in the kitchen either. Tara decided to look upstairs, so she began climbing the stairs of the Summers’ house as quietly as she could, hoping Willow would be in what used to be their room. Before Tara reached the door she stopped.

“Should I knock? Or just walk in?”

Tara could hear someone breathing heavily inside the room. She walked towards the door and knocked on it. No one answered and Tara began to get worried. She coughed quietly and opened the door.

Tara: W-Willow?

Tara’s widened as she stepped into the room. Willow was lying on the bed, a dark, misty fog loomed over her. Willow’s face was clouded with fear and she was tossing and turning as if having a bad dream.

Tara: Willow!!

Willow didn’t seem to hear her. She just kept thrashing around, trying to escape the dark fog the looked as if it was closing in on her.

Tara racked her brain, trying to think of a spell that would help Willow, when a voice told her to stop.

Voice: Witch, stop!! You are not to interfere, this is not your business!! Out!!

Tara felt an invisible force try to push her out of the room, she could sense it was strong, but it didn’t seem to be able too get her out of the room.

Voice: I see.

The force stopped trying to push Tara and Tara realised that the thing that was speaking to her was the fog.

Tara: What are you?

Voice: I am everything that Willow has ever feared.

Magic box.

Anya: Thank you for your patronage, please come again.

Anya grinned at the customer as he walked out of the shop.

Xander was sitting at the table, browsing through a book he’d picked up off one of the shelves.

Xander: Good job, honey.

Anya beamed at him and Buffy walked out of the training room.

Xander: Hey Buffster. How was the training?

Buffy: Sweaty.

Xander: Ah. Sweaty.

Anya: Stop thinking those thoughts right now, Alexander Harris!!

Xander jumped out of his seat.

Xander: I, I um, wasn’t think anything. Nothing that I shouldn’t have been thinking anyway.

Buffy smirked and sat down.

Buffy: How’d you think things are going with Tara and Will?

Xander: Hopefully things are going well. I can’t stand to see them both like this. So mope-y and sad and…. Mope-y.

Buffy: Yeah.

Anya: Well I think it’s stupid.

Xander: Huh?

Anya: I’m just saying, that I think this is all stupid. Willow and Tara love each other, it’s obvious! And I don’t understand why they can’t just get back together and be happy again.

Xander: Ahn, sometimes things happen between people…. They can grow apart or-

Anya: They haven’t grown apart. It was Willow and her magick addiction.

Xander: Or it could have been that. Even though they still love each other, Tara feels she can’t trust Willow anymore. Not after what Willow did to her. She felt-

Buffy: Violated.

Xander and Anya turned to Buffy.

Buffy: Willow betrayed Tara, Anya. You have to try and understand that.

Anya: I was a vengeance demon for 1000 years, I know all about betrayal. It’s just…. I don’t like seeing Willow or Tara sad….

Xander stood up and hugged his fiancée.

Xander: None of us do, but Willow’s trying. She said she was going to give up magick…. And I believe her. She’s giving it up for us…. For Buffy and Dawn, me and you, but most importantly, she’s giving it up for the person she loves. You understand a bit better, now?

Anya nodded.

Anya: Uh huh.

Xander: That’s my girl.

The bell rang as the door of the Magick Box opened. Anya didn’t glance twice at whoever had come in and just returned to behind the counter hoping that it was a paying customer that had walked in.

Buffy and Xander continued talking for a minute or two until they heard someone cough lightly behind them.

Buffy: Giles!!

Xander: Hey, it’s the G-man!!

Buffy leapt out of her chair and threw her arms around Giles.

Buffy: I didn’t think you were going to get here, I missed you.

Buffy released her hold on Giles and smiled.

Giles: I, uh, I missed you too Buffy, and Xander, down ever call me that again.

Giles grinned at Xander as he got up and hugged Giles.

After everyone had settled down, and Anya had stopped telling Giles how long it took her to get the ‘old English man’ smell out of the shop, the conversation turned to the reason Giles had come back.

Giles: How has Willow been doing?

Buffy: She’s been clean for almost a week.

Giles: Good. Have you heard any news on Dawn?

Buffy’s eyes saddened.

Buffy: No, but I’m going to see her at the hospital as soon as Tara gets back from seeing Willow.

Giles: How is Tara? After…. Well, after everything.

Buffy: To be honest Giles, I don’t think she’s dealing all that well.

Summer’s house: Willow’s room.

Willow gasped in pain as the fog got closer.

Tara: What are you doing to her?!

Voice: I am testing her, child.

Willow began thrashing about again.

Tara: Why?

Voice: Because she has chose to give up something that has an immense amount of power over her. She has to be tested to see if she is worthy.

Tara: Of w-what?

Tara eyes were fixed on Willow. The red head looked as if she was in so much pain and it hurt Tara seeing her like this.

Voice: To see if she is worthy of living after the pain she has inflicted on the one she loves. If she is, she will be returned to how she was before she encountered dark magick.

Tara: And if she isn’t?

Voice: She will depart this life and pay for the pain she has caused in the afterlife.

Tara: No!! I w-won’t let you take her!!

Voice: You have no decision in this!! If she is worthy she will live, if not, she will die. That is the way it has to be.

Tears began to stream down Tara’s face as she stood and watched Willow helplessly.

Tara: I beg you…. Please don’t take her away from me.

Voice: How can you be so sure she won’t be worthy. I can sense she is deeply sorry for the wrong she has done, maybe that will be enough, but usually it take more…. Maybe she will have what it takes. Why do you doubt her so?

Tara: I do not doubt her!! I’m just….

Tara wanted to run to Willow. She wanted to help her, but she knew she couldn’t.

Tara: I’m just scared to lose her.

Voice: Why are you so concerned whether she lives or dies. Did you not walk out on her? Where you not the one who left?

Tara: I had to do those things…. What she did to me…. I couldn’t stay after that.

Voice: Are you telling me you would have stayed had it not been for her betrayal?

Tara: Yes. But it came to a point where I could no longer trust the person I loved…. The person I still love. With all my heart and soul.

Another tear slid down Tara’s face as she said these words, and before she had a chance to wipe it from her face, the room was filled with a bright white light. Tara shielded her eyes with her hand. She couldn’t see anything because of the light.

Tara: Willow?!

Voice: She is worthy! Her heart is pure and she is truly sorry for what she has done. She is free of all dark magick and is free to live. She will live out her life with the only person she will ever truly love with all of her heart. Her soul-mate. This is the way it must be.

The voice disappeared with the light and Tara felt as if she was falling. When she opened her eyes the room had returned back to the way it had been. The dark fog was gone and Tara could finally see. Willow was lying on the bed, still sweating and Tara ran towards her. Sitting on the bed, Tara took hold of the red head and cradled her in her arms.

Tara: It’s going to be okay now. It’s all going to be okay.

Magick Box.

Buffy pulled her coat on and walked next to Giles while Xander tried to convince Anya to close the shop for a while.

Anya: No! That would mean me getting no money!

Xander: Ahn, it’s important. We need to go and see Willow. Find out if Tara’s talk when okay with her.

Anya: Well, can’t just you three go? I can stay here and get lots of money.

Xander: Please, Anya.

Anya sighed. Why was it she couldn’t say no to Xander puppy eyes?

Summers’ house.

Buffy opened the door and she, Xander, Giles and Anya walked in.

Buffy: Okay. They’re probably upstairs. That’s where I told Willow to stay this morning.

Giles: Right. Should we-

Xander: Go up?

Buffy nodded and began climbing the stairs. The door to Willow’s bedroom was ajar and Buffy could see that the curtains in the room had been pulled closed. Buffy pushed the door fully open and saw Willow and Tara on the bed. Willow’s face was shiny with sweat and Tara looked a little more than scared.

Buffy: Tara, what happened?

Tara jumped when she heard Buffy’s voice and turned her head to see who had come into the room. Her cheeks were tear streaked and her face was pale.

Tara: Buffy…. Willow…. She-she…. The f-fog, I-I c-c-couldn’t-

Buffy: Calm down. What fog?

Giles: A black fog?

Tara nodded.

Giles: Good lord.

Buffy: What? Is that a bad thing?

Anya: The black fog, otherwise known as ‘the mist of the blackened soul’ is something the all witches who toy with dark magick encounter.

Buffy: What is it?

Giles: It was told that the mist of the blackened soul was an evil spirit that once had been king of the underworld.

Xander: What, like Hades?

Anya: Exactly, except Hades was different to this. The mist used to go by the name Isomer.

Giles: Yes. After he was taken from the thrown-

Xander: Taken from the throne? Why?

Giles: He was, um….

Giles faltered. To tell the truth he couldn’t remember why Isomer had been taken from the throne. Anya rolled her eyes and pushed past Giles so she was facing Buffy.

Anya: Isomer broke his oath. When he was crowned lord of the underworld, the powers that be made him take an oath. He was too keep everyone that had been sent to the underworld there and not let anyone return to earth. No matter what the circumstances. But when his wife, Vintora, was killed by his enemy, Kastor, his sorrow grew until he could no longer stand to be without her.

Buffy: So he brought her back from the dead, braking his oath.

Anya: Yes. He was thrown off the throne and forced to live an eternal life of punishing others for braking their oaths.

Giles: And because Willow turned to dark magick, and began using her power to alter things for her better, Isomer came forth to punish her.

Xander: But Willow’s still here, she’s not…. Dead.

Anya: Which can only mean-

Giles: That Willow’s heart is pure, and that she is truly sorry for what she has done. She couldn’t be taken from this life because of that.

Anya: And because her soul-mate is still alive. She has to live her life with her soul-mate to fulfil her destiny.

Xander: And her soul-mate is?

Giles: The person who was strong enough to stay with Willow, while the mist was here. The person that Isomer could not banish from the room, no matter how hard he may have tried.

All eyes turned to Tara.

Buffy: Tara….

Tara: I w-wouldn’t leave…. I couldn’t l-leave her…. She w-was in s-so much p-pain….

Anya: I knew it. I knew it all along.

The gang stood looking at Tara who was still cradling Willow in her arms. Anya leaned towards Xander and whispered in his ear.

Anya: Do you think they’ll get back together?

Xander: I hope so, Ahn.

Sunnydale hospital. One month later.

Anya, Willow, Tara, Giles, Xander and Buffy were all sitting in the waiting room. Buffy had received a phone call yesterday morning saying that Dawn and made a sudden, and miraculous, recovery, but she wouldn’t be able to be released until the next morning. It was late evening now and the gang were all ready to pick Dawn up.

Doc: Miss Summers?

Buffy looked up and saw a doctor and Dawn walking towards them.

Buffy: Dawn.

Buffy stood up and walked towards her sister. She pulled Dawn into a hug and began crying.

Buffy: Are you okay?

Dawn: Yeah. I’m good.

Buffy released her hold on Dawn, and Xander walked forward.

Xander: I’m glad you’re okay. I missed having you around.

Xander flashed a smile at Dawn, and for a moment she thought she was going to faint.

Anya was next, she came bounding towards Dawn and threw her arms around her.

Dawn: Hey Anya.

Anya: I’m so glad you’re not dead.

Dawn: Uh, thanks.

After Giles and Tara had hugged Dawn, Willow slowly walked towards the young girl.

Willow: Hey, Dawnie.

Dawn’s face saddened as she saw Willow.

Dawn: Hey.

There was an awkward silence between them both, and the gang felt as if they were intruding.

Xander: I’m, um…. Gonna get…. Snacks. Yeah.

Anya: I’ll help you with that.

Buffy: Me too.

Giles: I’ll…. Supervise.

They scurried away leaving Willow and Dawn alone.

Willow: Dawn…. I’m sorry. I never wanted anything like this to happen…. The last thing I wanted was for you to get hurt…. I’m sorry.

Dawn: I know.

Willow smiled slightly, hoping that Dawn would forgive her.

Dawn: Are you still doing…. Magick?

Willow shook her head.

Willow: No, after what happened to you…. It just made me see sense. I haven’t done any magick in over a month, and it’s going to stay that way. I hurt so many people…. And I’ll spend the rest of my life making things right again if I have to. I just hope people will be able to forgive me.

Dawn wrapped her arms around Willow and hugged her.

Dawn: I forgive you, Willow.

Willow smiled.

Willow: Thank you.

Dawn pulled away and looked at Willow.

Dawn: What about you and Tara? Are you guys…. ?

Willow’s smile disappeared.

Willow: No. We’re just friends…. I don’t think she has forgiven me yet…. I don’t think she ever will….

Dawn: She will.

Willow: But after what I did to her-

Dawn: She loves you Willow. I know she does.

Summers’ house.

Everyone had decided to come back to Buffy’s house when they were bringing Dawn home. Now everyone apart from Tara and Willow were all assembled in the kitchen. Tara was sitting in the living room, on her own and Willow was in the bedroom taking a nap.

Buffy had just finished telling Dawn what had happened over the last few months, with the help of Anya and Giles. Dawn sat on the chair next to Buffy, her eyebrows furrowed.

Buffy: Do you understand?

Dawn: I…. I think so. Is Tara really…. ?

Giles: Apparently so.

Anya: But I knew that anyway. I was a vengeance demon, I had to know the people I was cursing. I’ve seen enough soul-mates in my time, I can spot them a mile off. Which reminds me, Buffy I need to talk to you about a certain brunette slayer.

Anya winked at Buffy, and Buffy’s eyes grew wide.

Living room.

Tara sat on the sofa, deep in thought. Willow had been without dark magick for a month or more and although Isomer had said Willow was free of dark magick, but Tara knew he couldn’t have taken all of it away from her. The temptation was still there for Willow, but she had fought it. And Tara knew exactly why.

“Because she’s sorry and she wants to change. Because of what she did to me? What she did to everyone?”

Tara sighed. She couldn’t fight her destiny. She didn’t want to.

Willow’s room.

The red head tossed and turned in the bed. No matter how much she tried, she couldn’t get to sleep. Even though she hadn’t been with Tara for two months, she still couldn’t get used to sleeping without the blonde next to her. Willow’s head was filled with thoughts. Most of them were about Tara. She missed her so much, and wanted Tara to be able to forgive her. But Willow knew that the chances of that happening were slim. Her betrayal towards Tara, she felt, was worse than what Tara’s family had done to her.

“After everything that had happened with Glory, how could I have done something like that to her?”

Tara: Because you were blinded.

Willow turned over to see Tara standing in the doorway.

Willow: I uh, I guess I said that out load huh?

Tara nodded and stopped herself before she walked into the room.

Tara: C-can I come in?

Willow’s heart shattered as she heard Tara speak those words. She remembered a time when Tara didn’t have to ask to enter the room.

Willow: Sure.

Tara walked into the room and sat on the end of the bed. The room was silent for a minute and Willow sat up in bed.

Willow: Tara I-

Tara: You d-don’t-

Willow: I do.

Tara smiled at Willow.

Willow: I know you probably won’t believe me when I tell you this…. Why would you after everything I did to you…. But I’m sorry, Tara. I really am.

Tara: I kn-know you are.

Willow: I…. You do?

Tara nodded.

Tara: Do you remember what happened w-when Isomer…. Tested you?

Willow: Not really.

Tara sighed.

Tara: When I walked into the room and saw you there with Isomer, he did everything in his power to try and get me out of the room but he couldn’t move me. Then he told me you had to be tested because you were choosing to give up something that held an immense amount of power over you. If you were worthy, you’d live and fulfil your destiny, but that was only if you were deeply sorry for the things you had done. If you weren’t, you would be force to pay for the pain you had cause in the afterlife. But you were worthy. I know you’re sorry, Willow. You, you wouldn’t b-be here otherwise.

Tara smiled at Willow how smiled back but then frowned.

Willow: My destiny?

Tara: Anya said that Isomer couldn’t take you because you had a true soul-mate. The person you would spend your life with, therefore fulfilling your destiny.

Willow: And you exactly…. Do I find out who my soul-mate is?

Tara looked into Willow eyes.

Tara: Your soul-mate is the person who Isomer could not banish.

Willow: You.

Tara dropped her gaze and tucked her hair behind her ear. Willow closed her eyes for a second and then slid down the bed, closer to Tara.

Willow: Tara…. I always knew it was you.

Tara looked up at Willow.

Tara: Me too.

The room was silent again for a while, until Willow spoke.

Willow: Hey, you remember that time when we were in your old dorm, and you asked me to stay over for the first time because we’d been up all night doing spells? And we were sitting on your bed, just looking at each other and we both leaned forward slowly for a kiss and we banged heads?

Tara let out a giggle.

Willow: You turned as red as my hair and I did. You remember?

Tara: Yeah.

Tara smiled at Willow.

Tara: You remember when O-Oz came back…. Of course you remember that…. I was so scared that you were g-going to leave me for Oz…. But you didn’t. And after…. Our f-first…. I’d never felt so happy Willow. I loved you.

Willow’s eye began to fill up again.

Willow: I’m sorry…. I hurt you so much…. I never wanted to hurt you, Tara. But I did.

Tara: You were blinded by the magick, Willow.

Willow: I still did all those things though. And I wouldn’t blame any of the gang if they didn’t forgive me…. If you didn’t forgive me. I hurt you the most…. How could I do that to the person I love….

Tara: Love?

Willow wiped her eyes dry and looked at Tara.

Willow: I still love you Tara…. I’ll never stop loving you. And I mean it when I say I’m sorry. I’ve never been so sorry in my life.

Willow began to cry and Tara pulled the other girl into her arms. She knew Willow was telling the truth and she knew that Willow meant it when she said she was going to give up magick. She believed her and once again knew what she had to do. What she wanted to do.

Tara lifted Willow’s head with her finger and wiped away the girls tears.

Tara: I always loved you Willow…. But I had to leave…. You need to understand that.

Willow: I do, Tara. I really do. You did what you had to do.

Tara: But if you say you’re going to give up magick for good…. I believe you, and I forgive you.

Willow couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She’d dreamt of Tara forgiving her so many times, she wasn’t sure if this was real or not. As if Tara had read her mind, she leaned forward and kissed Willow. Willow melted and wrapped her arms around Tara neck, pulling her closer. No, this was no dream. Tara lay back on the bed, her lips never leaving Willow’s, and they stayed like that for a while. Remembering all the good times, and the bad, because all relationships have their ups and downs, but only ones worth having come through the bad times in one piece.

Willow broke the contact and looked down at Tara, smiling.

Tara: See? No bumping heads this time.

Willow giggled and buried her head in Tara’s shoulder.

Willow: So…. You believe me?

Tara: I do.

Willow: You think maybe…. You’ll give us another chance?

Tara: You mean that didn’t just answer your questions.

Willow’s body shook as she giggled again, and she lifted her head so she could look at Tara. She tucked a strand of blonde hair behind the witch’s ear and kissed Tara lightly.

Willow: I love you, Tara.

Tara: I love you too, Willow.

Eventually, Willow and Tara fell asleep content in each other’s arms. They were both happy again and they were together.

Buffy sighed as she closed the door of, what was undoubtedly once again, Willow and Tara’s bedroom. Everything was as it should be.

Buffy: Now for that talk with Anya.

~END