The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pretty Much Perfect 1 & 2 [Complete]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:16 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 1
Title: Pretty Much Perfect
Rating: G-PG
Spoilers: None really...
Summary: Short sequel to Ripples about Willow and Tara having their baby... if you haven't read Ripples, what you need to know is that Willow and Tara got married about three months after the end of Season 7 (following Tara's being brought back to life immediately after the end of 'Chosen') and they decided to have a baby as an anniversary 'gift' for their third anniversary...

Note: I had a request for this at ff.net, so I figured I'd post it here too...hope y'all like it... (But now I kind of have baby!fic fever, so there might be more parts eventually...but not any time soon because I'm crazy busy right now.)

Chapter 1 of 1

Buffy was asleep when scrambling footsteps on the stairs jolted her awake. Her bedroom door was open, but she’d left it open when she had gone to bed, wanting to be able to hear if anything disturbed the peace of their house. It was a nervous habit she’d picked up since Willow had entered her last month of pregnancy. She was up and moving before she realized what was happening, bumping into Tara in the hall. The witch’s eyes were wide and she was obviously panicked. Buffy grabbed her friend’s shoulders, holding her steady. “Tara, what’s going on? What’s wrong?”

Tara blinked at her in seeming incomprehension. “Willow…”

Buffy shook her lightly as the witch didn’t say anything further. “What’s wrong with Willow, Tara? Where is she?”

“She wanted some juice, but when I came back…” Tara said, and Buffy moved one hand to her friend’s cheek, turning her head to meet her eyes. Tara blinked again, her eyes focusing. “Buffy, Willow.”

“I got that part,” Buffy said in exasperation. “What’s going on?”

“Her water broke,” Tara said, eyes looking over her shoulder toward her bedroom. “She’s in labor.”

Buffy paled, swallowed thickly. “Okay, so what do we do?” she asked, starting to catch Tara’s panic.

“I don’t know!” Tara said sharply. “She’s going to have the baby, Buffy!”

The Slayer took a deep breath, forcing herself to be calm. “Okay, Tara, just breathe. Willow gave us like six written plans for this, remember?” she said, smiling reassuringly as Tara’s trembling fingers found her wrist. “She’s going to be fine. You wake up Dawn, and go downstairs and wake up Xander, okay? Get him to call across the street, and tell Dawn to get Willow’s bag.”

Tara nodded, grateful that Buffy had taken charge. “What are you going to do?” she asked hoarsely.

“I’ll get Willow and we’ll meet you all in the car, alright?” Buffy said, meeting her eyes. She smiled reassuringly. “She’s going to be fine, Tara. I promise.” Tara’s eyes jumped to her bedroom as they both heard Willow groan. “I’ll get her,” Buffy said immediately. Tara nodded, her eyes wild again, but she closed them briefly, taking a steadying breath before moving to Dawn’s door.

The girls separated, and Buffy moved quickly toward the witches’ bedroom. “Will?” she asked as she entered, hearing another groan.

“Buffy,” Willow gasped. “I’m in here,” she said lowly.

The Slayer moved quickly to the bathroom, finding Willow leaning against the wall, one hand on her swollen belly. The old friends’ eyes met, and Willow mustered a strained smile. “How you doing, Will?”

“In labor, Buffy,” the witch returned. “Other than that, perfect.”

Buffy grinned, moving to support her friend, guiding Willow’s arm around her shoulder. “Tara’s freaking out,” she said, catching Willow as another contraction caused her knees to buckle. “I’ve got you, Willow,” she breathed, bending her knees to slip her other arm under Willow’s knees, lifting the witch into her arms. “Let’s get you in the car.”

“Not a bad idea,” Willow gasped, laughing shakily. “Tara’s okay, right?”

Buffy nodded as she maneuvered them carefully out of the bathroom, walking slowly with her burden, feeling the floor in front of her cautiously with one foot before taking a step. “She’s okay. Just panicking. I sent her to get Dawn and Xander ready to go. They’re calling Giles and Faith.”

“Good,” Willow gasped. “Was that plan D?”

The Slayer laughed, edging her way down the stairs cautiously. “I didn’t check, Will,” she confessed. “We’re pretty much just trying to keep it together here.” The witch’s back arched as another contraction hit, and Buffy froze where she was standing, feet on different stairs. “How close together are they?” she asked, seeing the pain in her friend’s face.

Willow shook her head. “I don’t know.” Her eyes blinked open and she smiled unexpectedly. “There’s a stopwatch in the bag. We can time them in the car.”

Buffy grinned, laughing. “Okay, sounds good,” she agreed. “Want me to check the plan before we go?”

Willow swatted at her friend with one hand. “I think we can wing it,” she acceded, groaning.

Xander was behind the wheel when they reached the driveway, and Buffy deposited Willow carefully in the backseat, Dawn in the third row of seats behind the witches.

“Are you okay, Will?” Xander asked, finding her eyes in the mirror as he reversed them out of the driveway, barely waiting for Buffy to get her door closed behind her.

Willow was sweating and pale, but she nodded. “I’m okay, Xander. You remember how to get there, right?”

He laughed, relieved. “Yeah, you taped a map to the steering wheel, remember?”

“It’s too dark to read it,” she reminded him, looking down as Tara’s hand slipped into hers. “You okay?” Willow asked softly.

Tara nodded without speaking, free hand brushing Willow’s hair back. The redhead’s grip on her hand tightened as another contraction hit her, Willow shutting her eyes tightly as she rode it out. “Willow…”

“I’m okay,” Willow said immediately. “Just a contraction. How are you doing?”

Tara shook her head in disbelief, smiling. “How can you ask me that?” she wondered. “You’re in labor and you’re asking how I’m doing.”

The redhead shrugged, smiling weakly. “You’re my wife, Tara.”

“And you’re having our baby,” Tara responded, leaning over to press a kiss to her temple.

“One doesn’t make the other less important,” Willow reasoned, gasping for breath. “You’ll always be my wife. I won’t always be in labor,” she joked.

The blonde laughed despite herself, shaking her head. “So let me do my part of the labor and be jumpy and worried about you, okay?” Tara suggested, Willow’s teasing having the intended affect and calming her down. “To answer your question, I’m nervous, and scared, and excited.” She combed her fingers through Willow’s hair slowly. “Are you in a lot of pain?”

Willow shook her head in denial. “Not b-ad,” she said, the reassurance interrupted by a hiss of pain. “It comes and goes,” she joked as she caught her breath.

Tara glanced out the front window at the city whipping by, smiling as encouragingly as she could to Willow. “We’ll be there soon, baby. Just try and do your breathing.”

Willow nodded, leaning over her lap and trying to steady her breathing. It didn’t take much longer for Xander to screech to a stop in the hospital’s driveway, and Buffy jumped out to help Willow out of the car. “Dawn, go get her a wheelchair, okay?” she directed her sister, supporting Willow on one side as Tara took the other side.

“I’ll park and meet you guys inside,” Xander said, getting a nod from Buffy as she bumped the door closed behind them while Dawn scrambled out of the back and up the stairs.

Giles’ car pulled into the loop behind them, Faith joining the pair with Willow. “You got her, Tara?” she asked, the Slayer looking much too calm for having been awoken at three in the morning. “You’re looking kind of shaky there, girl,” she said, glancing between Buffy and Tara.

The witch nodded, smiling weakly. “Thanks, Faith, but I can get her.”

Faith shrugged, grinning. “How you doing, Red?” she asked.

“I’m having a baby,” Willow replied, voice strained. Xander and Giles drove off behind them and Dawn reappeared with the wheelchair. Willow’s breath of relief as she slumped into it was broken by a hitch in her breathing as another contraction hit her. “Inside?” she requested breathily, Buffy already pushing the chair forward. Faith picked up the front end as they reached the stairs, the Slayers carrying the chair up rather than winding their way through the curving wheelchair ramp.

There was a nurse waiting on them, and she directed the group toward the delivery ward. “I’m Chloe, and I’ll be the nurse on duty tonight. Anything you need, let me know. Are any of you going in with her?” she asked, eying the large group.

“I am,” Tara said immediately, one hand on Willow’s shoulder. “She’s my wife.”

The nurse nodded. “Yes, ma’am,” she said, smiling reassuringly. “It’s hospital policy that only one person goes into the delivery room with the patient, but there’s a waiting room just outside the delivery ward if you’re all planning on staying,” Chloe told the others.

“We’re staying,” Xander announced as he and Giles joined the group. “Lead the way.”

The nurse smiled at him, nodding. “This way,” she directed them, leading them down a hall that was clearly marked ‘Maternity.’ They got to the waiting room as another contraction hit Willow. “We’ll get you into delivery right away, Mrs. Rosenberg-Maclay,” she said, consulting her chart.

“Thanks,” Willow gasped, looking up at Tara. “You ready to meet our baby, baby?”

“I don’t think he’s giving you a choice,” Xander joked. They had asked not to know the gender of the baby, but Xander had been insisting for months that it was boy, claiming that ‘it just had to be a boy because there were entirely too many girls around.’ “Good luck, Will, Tara,” he said more seriously, kissing Tara gently on the cheek.

“Thanks, Xander,” she said, smiling. “Everybody…”

“We’ll be out here,” Buffy said. “Love you guys,” she said, surprised to realize that she was a little choked up.

Willow’s hand found the Slayer’s hand on her shoulder, squeezing gently. “Love you too, Buffy. See you soon.” She smiled. “You can meet your god-kid.”

“God-son,” Xander coughed behind them, grinning happily. Willow grinned back at him, smile faltering as another contraction came. “Okay, I think it’s time for you to go, Will,” he said even as Chloe guided her wheelchair backwards out of the midst of the group.

“He’s right,” the nurse agreed, giving him another smile. “Time to go.” The others waved as Tara followed her wife in the wheelchair. Chloe directed them into a delivery room, giving the nervous Tara a reassuring smile. “Her doctor will be here in a few minutes to see how she’s doing, but in the meantime, just keep her calm, and stay as calm as you can, okay?” she said lowly. “She’ll stay more relaxed if you aren’t panicking.”

Tara took a deep breath, nodding. “Thanks,” she whispered. “I’ve never…we’ve…I didn’t expect to be so nervous,” she confessed.

Chloe squeezed her shoulder supportively. “She’s your wife. You love her.” An orderly came in to help Willow into the bed while Tara and the nurse watched. She smiled as Willow’s eyes locked on Tara as soon as she was settled in the bed, looking away from the orderly as he started her IV line. “How long have you been married?” she asked to distract the blonde.

Tara blinked, looking at Chloe and smiling. “Um…four years,” she said, her mind so nervous that she had to think. “A little over that, actually.”

Chloe smiled, nodding. “And how’d you meet?”

Tara laughed, catching Willow’s eye. “Oh, we just kind of bumped into each other in the hall.”

“Love at first sight?”

Tara didn’t look away from Willow, the redhead holding her gaze. “Definitely,” she breathed. “I love you so much. You know I loved you the first second I ever saw you, right?”

Willow blinked, nodding with a smile across the room. “Of course I know that. What brought that up?”

“Chloe asked how we met,”
Tara answered, biting her lip. “Thanks for distracting me,” she told the nurse, smiling.

Chloe nodded, giving her a grin. “No problem. I’ll be back soon to check on you,” she said, moving out of the room as Tara took a slow step toward Willow.

The door closed behind her and the orderly, and Tara let out a deep breath. “She seems nice,” Willow observed, smiling weakly as Tara took her hand.

Tara smiled, pressing a kiss to her forehead. “Are you okay? Can I do anything?”

Willow shook her head, squeezing Tara’s hand. “You’re doing it,” she murmured, dragging Tara’s hand up to press a kiss to the back of it. “Just stay with me,” she requested. “And let me squeeze your hand?”

“Of course,” Tara said, smiling despite herself. “Thank you, Willow.”

The redhead grinned up at her, giving her a confused look. “What for?”

“Having our baby springs to mind,” Tara replied, shaking her head.

Willow laughed shakily, squeezing her hand again. “If I recall correctly, you’ve already thanked me for that,” she said, voice teasing. “Remember that trip to New York?” she reminded her wife. “Because I remember being very well thanked.” She winked cheerfully. “And we went to the museums.”

Tara blushed but laughed, leaning over to kiss her. “I love you,” she said quietly as they separated.

“I love you too,” Willow said, glancing over Tara’s shoulder as her doctor came in.

“And how are you feeling, Willow?” Doctor Fine asked as she checked Willow’s chart.

The redhead laughed. “Like I’m about to pop,” she said tiredly. “And we’re just getting started.”

The doctor laughed, nodding. “It’ll be worth it,” she promised. “Now, I’m just going to check and see how far along we actually are, alright?”

Willow nodded, meeting Tara’s eyes as the doctor did what she needed to do under the sheet. Tara pressed a kiss to her forehead, giving her a smile. Willow bit her lip, squeezing her hand and watching as her doctor made notes on her chart. “How’s it going down there?”

Doctor Fine smiled without looking up from the chart. “You’re at a little over nine centimeters. You have to be at ten before we can get started with the heavy lifting.”

“How long will that take?” Tara asked, feeling anxious.

“Just a little bit longer, Mrs. Rosenberg,” the doctor promised. “Everything is progressing normally. I’ll go get prepped and we can check again in a few minutes. Willow, just keep up your breathing, and I’ll be back soon.”

Willow nodded, caught up in another contraction and trying to catch her breath. Tara squeezed her hand, leaning her forehead against Willow’s temple. “I love you, Willow. You’re so beautiful. I love you so much,” she whispered.

Willow laughed weakly as her body relaxed. “Tell me that again when this is over,” she requested. “The ‘I’m pretty’ part. I know the ‘I love you’ part doesn’t change,” she clarified, turning her head to meet Tara’s eyes with a grin.

Tara shook her head, pressing a kiss between Willow’s eyes. “You hush,” she directed. “Neither part changes. You’re gorgeous, and you know it,” she said firmly. “Willow, we’re going to meet our baby today.”

The redhead smiled tiredly. “I can’t wait,” she agreed. “They’re going to be beautiful too.”

“Or handsome,” Tara added, thinking of Xander’s insistence that they were going to have a son.

“Our little boy can be beautiful when he’s a baby,” Willow objected, still smiling. “Just not around Xander,” she added, laughing.

Another contraction hit just as the doctor returned, followed by two nurses with a tray of monitors and equipment. Chloe steered Tara gently to the side, giving her a pair of scrubs. “We’re going to get her hooked up and ready to deliver, okay?” Tara nodded quietly, eyes lingering on her wife. “Pull these scrubs on, and we’ll see how quickly your son or daughter feels like joining us.”

Tara followed her directions in silence, eyes still locked on Willow. The redhead was doing her best to look at all of the equipment that they were hooking her up with, but she was distracted by her ongoing contraction. Her eyes found Tara’s as the nurses finished their preparations and she waved, mustering a smile. Tara finished slipping the scrubs over her clothes and was quick to rejoin Willow, taking her hand again.

“You’re fully dilated now, Willow,” the doctor informed them. Willow gave Tara an anxious look, squeezing her hand. “Are you ladies ready?” the doctor asked kindly, seeing her patient’s nervousness. “Cause it’s time for you to start pushing, Willow,” she prompted.

Willow swallowed thickly, surprised by how loud it suddenly seemed in the room, the bed surrounded by nurses and techs. Tara squeezed her hand again and Willow’s focus shrunk to her, giving her a smile. “Don’t let go, okay?” she asked, voice low.

“No,” Tara said softly, shaking her head as she returned the smile, feeling her fingers tremble around Willow’s. “I’m right here.”

Another contraction stole Willow’s breath and she pushed, squeezing Tara’s hand tight in her own, doing her best not to scream. The pain and tension retreated after a long moment and she slumped back into comparable relaxation. “So, that hurt,” she commented sarcastically, breathing heavily.

“Baby, are you alright?” Tara asked anxiously, free hand combing through Willow’s hair.

Willow nodded weakly. “Yeah, Tara, I’m okay,” she said. Tara leaned her head against Willow’s, both of them breathing deeply.

“You’re doing great, Willow,” the doctor told them. “Your friends in the waiting room are quite a handful,” she commented, smiling at the couple.

They looked at each other, grateful for the distraction. “What do you mean?” Tara asked, laughing.

“Your blonde friend has been lifting the chairs in our waiting room like they’re made of Styrofoam,” Doctor Fine clarified. “And the dark-haired girl, the older one, she’s almost as bad.”

Willow laughed, taking a deep breath. “Faith is worried?” she asked in surprise. “Buffy I expected, but not Faith.”

“We haven’t even been here that long! They haven’t broken anything, have they?” Tara asked. “I can go talk to them,” she offered, looking down at Willow as her wife squeezed her hand.

“Not right now, you can’t,” Willow objected. “You’re very occupied right now.”

The beeping on the monitors grew quicker, and Willow bore down on her hand as she pushed again, groaning with her eyes squeezed closed tightly.

Out in the waiting room, Buffy was idly spinning a chair on one finger, the leg balanced on her fingertip. She had it moving slowly, distractedly pushing it along with her other hand. Giles was watching with a frown on his face. “Discretion?” he asked tiredly. “Too much to ask for?”

His Slayer shrugged, keeping the chair steady. “No one is back here but us, Giles,” she reminded him. “And I’ve never been good at sitting and waiting. You know that.”

The older man sighed, his head in his hands as he yawned. “I know that,” he affirmed. His eyes fell on his roommate Slayer and he groaned. “Faith, put the chairs down,” he directed her.

Faith looked up from where she was lying on the floor, lifting a chair in each of her hands repeatedly, as if she was trying to bench press with them. “Buffy’s spinning hers!” she protested without putting the chairs down.

“Both of you put the chairs down and try and look civilized,” he ordered them both. “Please?” The Slayers exchanged looks, putting down their playthings reluctantly. “Why can’t you just be calm like Xander and Dawn?” he asked, giving them both tired smiles.

“They’re both asleep, G-man,” Faith informed him, flopping herself into a chair with her legs over the armrest.

“You could sleep,” he suggested, rolling his eyes at her nickname for him. “We’re all tired.”

Buffy shook her head. “I can’t sleep,” she objected. “Too much energy.” She rolled her shoulders, hopping lightly on her feet.

Faith looked over at her, grinning. “You’re some kind of freak, B. Even with our energy, it’s too late to be awake.” She looked thoughtful. “Unless you’re at a club, or doing something sweaty,” she added with a grin and wink.

“You’ve always been the lazy one,” Buffy scoffed, brushing pretend lint off her shoulders. Giles jerked her into the chair beside him, shooting Faith a look as the dark-haired Slayer moved to retaliate physically.

“Both of you, just try and relax,” he directed. “We’ve likely got hours more to wait.”

Buffy wilted at the reminder, but didn’t stay slumped in her seat for long, pacing through the waiting room. “She’s okay, right, Giles?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Willow has always been strong, Buffy. And Tara’s with her. She won’t let anything happen to either Willow or the baby,” he reassured her. “I know you’re anxious, but all we have to do is wait.”

Buffy nodded, still pacing. “I know, Giles.” She glanced around the room, smiling fondly at where Dawn was asleep, leaning against Xander’s shoulder. She was surprised that Xander had managed to fall asleep, but was glad that he had managed to relax enough to do so. Giles’ reassurances had made her feel better, sure that Willow would be safe, even without her there, but she couldn’t relax enough to fall asleep, anxious to meet her best friend’s baby.

Giles dozed after a while, snoring softly, and Faith stayed in her chair but didn’t fall asleep, just contemplated the ceiling in boredom. “This is lame,” she declared eventually, glancing idly out the window to see if the sun was coming up yet.

Buffy laughed, leaning against the wall next to the chair Faith was in. “You could go home,” she suggested. “I’m actually kind of surprised you’re still here.”

“Will’s not so bad,” Faith said, yawning.

Buffy looked down at her, crossing her arms over her chest. “That’s not exactly what I meant, Faith. I never expected you to stick around Cleveland so long.” She grinned as Faith looked up at her. “I mean, we live in the suburbs.” She laughed. “I have a day job!”

“That’s because you quit your real job,” Faith said, laughing.

“I killed that Ragna demon last week,” Buffy shot back. “I’m not exactly retired and spending all my time at the lake. I’m only semi-retired.”

Faith shrugged, grinning. “It was attacking your house. It’s not like you could let Red take care of it. Tara would have killed you.”

“You were across the street, you could have helped,” Buffy protested.

Faith considered that, smirking for a moment before shrugging. “I was asleep,” she stated.

“It was like two in the afternoon!”

Faith shrugged, shifting herself in her seat so her head was resting more comfortably against the chair’s wooden armrest. “Whatever.”

Buffy snorted, rolling her eyes. “That’s what I mean, Faith. You’ve never been big on the team-playing. Why are you still here?”

Faith was quiet for a long moment, thinking it over. “Don’t really have anywhere else to go, do I?”

Buffy frowned. “Faith…”

“And what can I say? I guess I kind of like you guys.” She smirked up at Buffy. “I think we were friends once, before you all hated me. At least I thought we were. As close to friends as I’d ever seen,” she admitted. “And the last few years…I guess we got some of that back.”

Buffy laughed quietly. “We’re friends?” she asked, faking incredulity.

Faith nodded with a yawn. “Guess so,” she agreed. “Don’t tell anybody though.”

Buffy grinned, leaning her head back against the wall and trying to relax as she waited.

A long final scream heralded Willow’s last push and it took her a long moment to realize that the sound of screaming was still echoing in the room. She pushed her head up weakly, blinking to clear stinging sweat from her eyes. “Tara?” she panted tiredly.

“Congratulations,” Dr. Fine announced. “It’s a boy.”

Willow thought her heart had been beating quickly before, but as soon as the doctors moved out of the way from cleaning him up, giving her the first glimpse of her son, her heart was suddenly beating triple time. “Wow,” she breathed. “Look at him.”

Tara’s hands were shaking as they handed her the baby with a smile. “He’s beautiful,” she whispered, smiling down at Willow.

“Told you,” the redhead responded with as much smugness as she could manage.

Dr. Fine laughed. “The hard part is done, Willow, but you’re not quite finished yet. You can take a few minutes to rest though.”

Willow slumped into the bed wearily, her eyes locked on Tara and their son. She swallowed thickly, tears joining the sweat sliding down her face. “Tara…”

The blonde leaned over, handing the baby to Willow. “I love you,” Tara breathed into her ear. She pressed a kiss to her temple.

Willow was caught up in looking over their son carefully, smoothing a hand over the top of his head and counting his fingers. Tara brushed sweaty hair back from her face, feeling an uncontrollable urge to touch Willow. “He is beautiful,” Willow agreed, turning her head to smile.

“So are you,” Tara said quietly. Willow’s smile was proud and pleased, and she leaned up for a kiss. Tara happily supplied it. “How are they?” she asked the doctor, looking up.

“He’s hungry, but everything looks normal and healthy. Willow, if you want to try feeding him, you can rest for a while,” Dr. Fine told her.

Willow nodded nervously, coaxing the baby to her chest. He latched on eagerly, and Willow’s eyes widened, meeting Tara’s with a smile. “So much dirty stuff I could say right now,” Willow told her.

Tara blushed brightly. “Willow…” she said chidingly. “Be good.”

“I’m always good,” Willow responded cheerfully. “You know that better than anyone.”

“How do you feel?” Tara asked aloud, giving Willow a look.

“Tired, but happy,” Willow said. “So happy, Tara.” Tara stood in silence, watching their son. Willow kissed his forehead as he finished eating, handing him back to her wife. “Want to take him to meet his family?” she asked.

“I don’t want to leave you,” Tara said softly.

Dr. Fine smiled. “You don’t have too much longer, and you can go get cleaned up. Your friends can come in after that.”

“Do you know if they ever calmed down?” Willow asked, grinning.

The doctor shrugged. “I’m sure if they’d caused trouble, security would have notified us,” she said, laughing.

The girls exchanged looks. “Maybe I should go check on them,” Tara suggested reluctantly.

“You’re still very occupied,” Willow objected, holding a corner of Tara’s scrubs in her fingers. “They’ll be fine, Tara.”

“We’ll get finished as quickly as we can, Mrs. Rosenberg. You’re going to have to push for me, alright?”

Willow nodded wearily, and Tara gave her another kiss. “You think of a name while I’m busy, okay cutie?” she requested, smiling.

Tara laughed as their son took a deep breath, his eyes closed. “We need to take him to get cleaned up and a few more tests. Would you like to come with us?” Chloe offered.

Tara met Willow’s eyes, the redhead nodding tiredly. “Will we be gone long?” Tara asked.

The nurse shook her head, smiling reassuringly. “Just a little bit. She’ll be okay, ma’am.” Tara got another nod from Willow and she grinned sheepishly, following the nurse. They were walking down the hall when Chloe cleared her throat, drawing Tara’s gaze. “So…that guy that came in with you, with the eye patch, what’s his story?”

“Xander?” Tara asked, surprised. “He’s just a friend.” She realized her voice must have sounded defensive as the nurse gave her a smirk.

“I thought he might be a brother or something,” she said.

“Oh, well, he is pretty much Willow’s brother. They’ve been friends since kindergarten.”

“So, is he dating one of those girls that came in with you guys?”

Tara blinked in realization, laughing. “You like Xander?” she asked. “And no, he’s absolutely not dating any of them.” She grinned. “Want me to put a good word in for you?” she offered as the nurse blushed.

“He’s cute. And he seems nice, coming down here to wait on you guys to have your baby,” Chloe defended herself.

“He’s a sweetheart,” Tara agreed. “And you’ve been much more patient with me today than you had to be.” She laughed as the baby blinked up at them, reaching up to grab something, his little hand seizing a handful of her shirt. “I’d be happy to introduce you,” she offered, glancing back at Chloe.

“Cool,” the nurse replied as they reached the nursery. “We just need to give him his bath and take some quick measurements. Of course, you’re free to watch everything.” She held her hands up to take the baby, seeing Tara’s reluctance on her face. “It’ll be quick.”

Tara nodded, handing him over slowly and sighing. “Okay,” she agreed reluctantly. To distract herself from the sudden desire to take him back, missing him already, she tried to think of a name.

His hair was still dirty and dark, and she couldn’t tell what color it would be, but she assumed there was nothing to do but wait and see, hoping the whole time that his hair would be red like Willow’s. His eyes were blue, but Willow had been telling her how babies’ eye color could change after birth, one of her wife’s newly acquired baby facts since she’d gotten pregnant. But she could already tell that he had Willow’s nose and what looked like both of their fair skin. She was curious if he would have freckles like Willow, hoping that he would.

Various names floated through her head and she paired them with her and Willow’s last names, trying to come up with a good combination. “How’s it going, honey?” she sent to Willow, feeling the redhead’s dull, sore pain.

“I’m alright. The doctors are leaving, and I’m going to take a shower,” Willow replied.

“Okay. I’m right down the hall if you need anything, alright?”

“Sure, baby. Thank you. How’s the little guy?”

Tara smiled to herself, hugging her arms around her middle as she watched Chloe put the baby on a scale, jotting notes on his chart while he reached slowly for her pen. “He’s good. He’s really calm and curious, looking around at everything. Takes after his mother.”

“I wish I could see you with him.”

“You will,”
Tara reminded her. “Every day. What do you want to call him?”

“I squeezed him out, the name was your job,”
Willow reminded her, her voice happy and tired. “What have you got in mind?”

“Well, I was thinking that he kind of looks like a Kyle,”
Tara suggested.

“Kyle Maclay,” Willow stated. “It sounds perfect to me, sweetie.”

“Willow, he should have your name,”
Tara protested immediately. “No one else should be saddled with my family’s name.”

“I have your family’s name,”
Willow reminded her softly. “And he’s our son.” There was a long pause. “Tara, we have a son.”

Tara laughed, watching the baby swipe a testing hand through the water. “We have an adorable son, Willow,” she agreed. “I’m afraid it won’t be too long before he learns to splash us in the bath, though.”

Tara could hear Willow groan, though she knew immediately that it wasn’t a groan of pain. “Any troublemaking comes from you, I’m sure,” the redhead teased. “Because I’m a perfect angel.”

“Sure, you are,”
Tara agreed sarcastically, laughing again. “Did you make it to the shower okay? How are you feeling?”

“Kind of lonely, actually,”
Willow responded, and Tara could feel her smirk. “This shower isn’t very big, but we’ve definitely worked with less.”

“You stop that,”
Tara chided. “You know we have to keep our hands to ourselves for a while.”

“You have to keep your hands to yourself,”
Willow objected.

“You’ll be here for a few more days, and we’ll just see how you feel when we get home,” Tara suggested reasonably. “I, Willow…what about a name, baby?” she asked as a distraction.

“I love Kyle. It’s perfect.”

“You really want him to have my name?”
Tara asked.

“Sure. I like having your name. And, I mean, you are the baby daddy in this situation,” Willow teased.

Tara rolled her eyes, taking the baby back from Chloe. “Baby daddy? How lovely to hear how you really feel after all these years,” she teased back. “We’re on our way back.”

“I’m still in the shower, but I’ll see you in a minute,”
Willow responded.

The water had just turned off in the bathroom when Tara came into the delivery room, and she took a seat on the edge of the bed. Willow took several minutes in the bathroom, walking slowly as she came out, holding herself up with one hand against the wall. “Sore tummy,” she explained, her other hand on her belly. Tara was quick to put the baby into the bassinet, moving to support Willow back into the bed. She moved to take a seat in the chair next to the bed, but Willow didn’t let go of her arm. “Where’s my wife going?” she asked petulantly, frowning.

“I don’t want to crowd you, sweetheart. You’re sore and tired. I won’t go anywhere, but I don’t want to make you feel worse.”

Willow pouted, shaking her head. “I want my family with me.”

“Just let me get him, okay?” Tara said, expression softening as she gave in. She leaned over to press a kiss to Willow’s forehead as the redhead relaxed into the sheets. She picked up the baby from the carrier, holding him to her chest as she rejoined Willow in the bed. The little redhead squirmed close, resting her head on Tara’s shoulder. “Sleepy, baby?” Tara asked softly.

“Yes,” Willow said on a yawn. “But I don’t want to sleep. I just want to bask.”

Tara raised a fond eyebrow, pressing a kiss to the top of Willow’s head. “Bask?”

“Yeah,” Willow said. “We’re holding our son, Tara. Kyle Maclay.”

Tara shifted her arm so Willow could reach him, the redhead trailing her fingers over his face gently. His eyes were watching her hand, and one chubby hand reached up to grab her fingertip. She gave it to him, letting him squeeze her finger in his fist.

Willow looked at Tara in wonder. “I think he likes me,” she breathed. Kyle’s head turned at her voice, and he met her eyes. “Wow,” she whispered. “Now there’s someone else in the world that can make me swoon just by looking at me.”

“Of course he likes you,” Tara laughed quietly, combing her fingers through Willow’s hair, longer again since she hadn’t cut it throughout her pregnancy and still damp from the shower. “We just can’t let him find out that he owns us. He’ll walk all over us.”

“And he’s sure to be spoiled by his numerous relatives,” Willow said.

Tara nodded, her head resting against Willow’s as she watched them. “That reminds me, the nurse has a crush on Xander,” she told her. “I told her I’d introduce them.”

“Good,” Willow yawned. “Xander deserves a good girl, and she seems nice.”

“She’s been calming me down all night,” Tara confessed. “It’s been a long time since I’ve been scared like I was today.”

Willow curled closer to her, pressing a kiss to her skin, just above the collar over her shirt. “Aww, honey, I’m fine. There’s no reason to be worried.”

“I’m always going to worry about you, Willow,” Tara said calmly. “You’re my wife. That’s my right. And you’re fine now, so I am too.”

“Good,” Willow agreed. “Hey, what about a middle name?”

Tara shrugged. “I already picked his first name. What do you have in mind?”

“How about Alexander?” Willow suggested, her fingers brushing over his head as he let go of her hand.

Tara smiled, nodding against her. “I love it,” she whispered. “Xander will too, baby.”

Willow took her son’s hand between her fingers, shaking his hand. “Nice to meet you, Kyle Alexander Maclay. I’m your mom, and I love you.”

Tara pressed her mouth to Willow’s hair but didn’t pull away, just holding her. “God, Willow, do you have any idea how much I love you?” she asked, too overcome with emotion to speak.

“Maybe half as much as I love you,” Willow responded, whispering. “Introduce yourself to our boy,” she prompted, shifting her head so that Tara could see Kyle.

The baby blinked at her and she let out a deep breath. “Hey, Kyle. I’m your…mom’s wife?” she asked, smiling.

Willow shook her head, smiling. “I mean, you are, but that’s not what he’s going to call you. How about mommy?”

“So, now I’m the baby mama?” Tara joked.

“You can be mama if you want,” Willow agreed. She leaned up, kissing behind Tara’s ear. “What do you say, Mama?”

Tara’s eyes slid closed, her fingers touching Willow’s on Kyle’s head. Their gazes met as she opened her eyes, smiling softly. “Kyle, I’m your mama, and I love you so much.” She brushed a thumb over his hair, curling her fingers around Willow’s hand. She felt Willow yawn as she settled into her shoulder again. “Want to wait for a while before we get the others? You could get some sleep.”

Willow shook her head, eyes closed in defiance of her desires. “No, they need to meet him.”

“Okay, should I go get them?” Tara asked, smiling as Willow’s arm tightened around her waist. “Well, then what do you want me to do?”

She looked up as a throat cleared at the door, smiling as she saw Chloe. “I can go get them for you,” the kind nurse offered.

Tara smiled thankfully, curling her arm around Willow’s shoulder, her fingers sliding slowly through her wife’s hair. “We’d appreciate that. Thank you.”

Buffy’s back stiffened as the nurse came into the waiting room, meeting her eyes. The Slayer kicked the leg of Faith’s chair, getting the other girl’s attention as she moved to meet the nurse. “Is Willow okay?” she asked anxiously.

The nurse smiled, nodding. “They’re all fine. There weren’t any problems with the delivery at all. They’re resting now, but they wanted you all to come.”

Buffy nodded excitedly, already moving to wake up Xander and Dawn. “It’s about time,” Faith complained, swinging her feet around to stand up.

Chloe waited patiently while they all got up, leading the way to Willow’s room. Xander and Buffy got squashed in the doorway as they both tried to enter at the same time, giving each other good natured glares before Xander moved out of the way reluctantly.

“Will, how you doing?” Buffy asked as she and Xander each took a side of the bed.

“I’m prefect,” the redhead breathed, smiling sleepily up at her best friends without lifting her head from Tara’s shoulder. Kyle stirred in between them, and Willow shifted him to lift him into view. The Scoobies gasped in happy wonder as they looked at the baby. Willow let her eyes settle on Xander as she announced his name. “Meet Kyle Alexander Maclay,” she said, feeling tears burn in her eyes at the expression on Xander’s face.

His jaw clicked as he closed it, taking a deep breath. “Will, really?” She nodded, smiling up at him. “Can I hold him?”

“Of course you can,” she said, cuddling back into Tara as he took the baby from her. “Let Buffy have a turn too,” she added, smiling over her shoulder to the Slayer.

Tara pressed a kiss to her forehead, sure that Willow couldn’t stay awake much longer. She exchanged smiles with Dawn. “We heard you guys were…restless in the waiting room.”

“That’s because it was taking forever,” Faith agreed. “G-man made us cool it.” She grinned. “How’d you guys hear about that? We weren’t being that bad.”

“The doctor told us to distract Willow in between contractions. What were you doing?” Tara asked, laughing.

Buffy shrugged, crossing her arms over her chest. “Just moved some of the chairs…” she muttered, sharing a glance with Faith.

Tara laughed again, combing her fingers through Willow’s hair again, feeling the redhead’s slow breathing against her neck. She gave Dawn a questioning look, glancing down at the top of Willow’s head. The younger girl grinned, nodding to indicate that Willow had indeed succumbed to sleep.

Buffy moved around the bed, holding her hands out. “Okay, my turn!” she declared and Xander handed Kyle over reluctantly. Buffy held the baby up in front of her face. “Okay, little man, here’s the deal,” she said, grinning as he reached to poke her in the eye. “I’m your Aunt Buffy, and I’m your favorite.”

There were immediate protests from Xander and Dawn, and the Slayer stuck her tongue out at them. “Buffy!” Dawn said, stomping her foot.

“You just wait and see,” Buffy challenged. “What kid wouldn’t love me?”

Faith snorted and Giles rolled his eyes, but they didn’t say anything. “Only because you’re just like them,” Dawn said, grinning proudly at her comeback. “Now, it’s my turn with him. Gimme,” she ordered, taking the baby from her sister.

“When do you get to go home?” Giles asked.

Willow stirred tiredly, but didn’t wake, and Tara smiled against her hair. “Day after tomorrow,” the blonde said quietly.

“What time can we come back tomorrow?” Buffy asked.

Tara gave her a smile, shaking her head. “You don’t have to come back.”

The Slayer shrugged. “No reason for you guys to stay here alone.” She grinned widely. “We know you’re crazy about each other and could easily keep each other entertained all day, but we want to keep you company, even if you don’t need it.”

“Thanks, Buffy,” Tara said. “I don’t think they have any rules about visiting the maternity ward.”

“Are they going to give you any trouble about spending the night?” Xander asked, glancing at the door as Chloe walked past.

Tara bit back a laugh, grinning. “No, I don’t think so.”

“Not, if they don’t want Willow tearing the hospital down with her bare hands,” Dawn joked, reluctantly handing Kyle back to an insistent Buffy.

Tara smiled against Willow’s hair as the Scoobies settled in around the room, small and cramped, but together, their family complete within the ward. “We should have brought you guys some balloons or something,” Xander said, wiggling his fingers at Kyle while Buffy rocked him. “We can bring them tomorrow.”

Tara laughed, shaking her head. “You don’t have to do that,” she objected quietly. “No balloons necessary, Xander.”

“Sure they are!” Dawn protested. “Balloons, stuffed animals, and flowers are all completely required, Tara.”

Willow stirred in her arms, jumping awake suddenly. “Where is he?” she asked, blinking up at Tara.

“He’s with Buffy, baby. He’s fine,” Tara assured her softly.

“He’s asleep,” Buffy whispered. “You want him back?”

Willow yawned, her eyes already closing again. “No…just let him sleep.”

Tara exchanged smiles with the others, Willow curling into her. She saw Chloe walk past, and she gestured, not speaking up quickly enough to catch her. Xander was out of his seat quickly. “I’ll get her,” he offered, jogging after the nurse.

Tara laughed as Xander disappeared, and Willow tilted her head up. “What are you up to, sneaky girl?” she asked, blinking.

“Up to? Tara’s up to something?” Buffy asked curiously, grinning. “Does it involve Xand and that pretty nurse?”

They all heard Giles mutter something, but he was hiding a smile, and Dawn jumped up from her seat to peek into the hall. “Looks like it,” Dawn agreed, jumping back toward her chair as Xander turned back toward the room. “You just had a baby today, and you’re playing matchmaker?” she asked incredulously.

“Willow did all the work. I’ve just been panicky all night,” Tara said, combing her fingers through Willow’s hair. “Chloe helped me out, and she mentioned that she thought Xander was cute, so I told her I’d see what I could do.”

“Aww, good,” Buffy agreed. “It’s about time Xander met a nice girl that doesn’t live with him.”

The girls were laughing when Xander returned to the room, and he gave them all confused smiles. “What’s funny? I missed the funny?”

They kept laughing, and Tara waved a hand, smiling reassuringly. Chloe cleared her throat, raising an eyebrow at her with a smile. “You needed something? Willow, are you alright?”

The redhead lifted her face slowly, blinking tiredly. “I would love some ice, actually,” she requested. Tara was starting to move before she realized it, an instinctive desire to take care of Willow making her forget that there were others around to help them. Willow’s arm tightened around her, keeping her from moving, but the redhead met her eyes with a knowing look. “Thanks,” she said, taking a cup of ice gratefully. She dropped a cube into her mouth, sucking on it with a sigh of relief as she settled back into Tara’s shoulder.

“I have the birth certificate here for you to fill out also,” Chloe offered. “You just have to put his name, and fill in the blanks and then sign at the bottom.”

Tara glanced down at Willow, but the redhead appeared to on her way back toward unconsciousness. “Um…,” she said, her right arm pinned under Willow’s back.

“I’ll fill it out,” Xander offered. “I already know all of the answers anyway,” he said cheerfully. Chloe smiled as he held out a hand for the clipboard. He hesitated at the top line, pen just over the paper. “You’re sure about the name?” he asked, biting his lip.

Tara smiled at him, nodding. “Of course we are,” she promised. “Kyle Alexander Maclay,” she said calmly.

Xander swallowed thickly, writing the name neatly. He didn’t speak as he filled out Willow’s section. Buffy blinked as the baby stirred in her arms, his face scrunching up as he woke up. He was crying a second later, and Willow jerked awake. “I didn’t do anything!” the Slayer protested, handing him quickly to Willow.

“He’s just hungry,” Chloe said reassuringly. “He’s going to eat a lot for the first few hours.”

Xander and Giles exchanged surprised glances, spinning simultaneously so their backs were to the bed. Willow laughed, covering her chest and the baby’s head with a cloth so they couldn’t see anything. “It’s fine, guys,” she said.

Neither of the men turned, Xander speaking over his shoulder. “City of birth, Tara?” he asked, coughing.

“Mine?” she asked, surprised. “Why do you need mine?”

Xander held up the clipboard. “I’m filling this out. You’re his parent too.” He pointed with the pen, the paper lifted up so she could see it. “It says ‘Partner’ right here.”

Tara blinked in surprise, glancing at Chloe. “Birmingham, Alabama,” she answered Xander. “You did that?” she asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

The nurse shrugged, nodding. “Sure. Like he said, you’re his parent too. Changing one word on a form is no problem.”

“You won’t get in trouble?” Tara asked.

Chloe shrugged again. “Anyone who notices won’t care. No worries,” she promised.

Xander grinned sideways at her as he finished filling out Tara’s section. He stuck the board out blindly behind him. “Sign it and it’s done,” he said. Tara reached out and took it, grinning to herself as Xander took another look at Chloe. “That was cool,” he said. “You know, changing the form for them.”

The nurse smiled, winking at him. “Yeah, no problem. Xander, right?”

He nodded, looking surprised that she knew his name. “Yeah. You’re Chloe, right?”

“Yep,” she said cheerfully. “What are you doing for lunch, Xander?” she asked, laughing as his eye widened comically.

“You can’t talk until you pick your jaw up off the floor, Xand,” Willow advised, laughing around a yawn as she signed the birth certificate next to Tara’s signature, a thrill shooting down her spine as she saw Tara’s name paired with hers. She handed it back to Chloe, grinning at the nurse.

“I’ll get this entered and bring back your copy,” she said, patting the stunned carpenter on the chest. “Let me know about those lunch plans,” she told him as she left the room. The girls all burst into laughter behind her, Xander gaping at the door.

“You all knew about this?” he asked incredulously, turning in a complete circle as he started to face them before he remembered why he had been facing the wall. “I was the funny?!?”

“No, of course not,” Tara protested. “She asked me if you were single, and I told her I’d introduce you two.” She laughed quietly. “She’s really very nice.”

Xander nodded, feeling foolish looking at the wall, but knowing that he would feel more awkward watching what was going on behind him. “Am I that pathetic? I’m getting set up?”

“It’s not a set up,” Willow said. “She asked you out. She just talked to Tara to make sure you weren’t dating any of us. Well, of course I don’t mean me or Tara, but them. Buffy and Dawn and Faith.”

Faith snorted. “I think he knows who you meant, Red.” Willow stuck her tongue out at the Slayer, retracting it quickly as Tara gave her a pointed glance. Faith grinned gleefully, her arms crossed over her chest. “You’re completely whipped, Willow,” she laughed, back straightening when Tara’s gaze turned to her. The blonde lifted one eyebrow without saying anything while the smirk dropped off Faith’s face.

“There’s only supposed to be one kid in here,” Giles commented, leaning back in his chair with a sigh, his eyes closed.

Willow laughed, yawning helplessly. She glanced down at the slowly moving bundle under the sheet on her chest. She ducked her head under the cover with her son for a few fumbling moments before they both surfaced again.

Kyle hiccupped softly, and Willow put him to her shoulder, patting his back softly. “I’ll change his diaper,” Tara offered, smiling as Willow handed him over with a sigh of relief.

She finished the task quickly. “Grandpa, do you want to hold him?” she asked, grinning sideways at Buffy when Giles didn’t react to the name.

Buffy kicked the leg of his chair to get his attention, smirking. “She’s talking to you, Gramps.”

Her Watcher glared at her, the look melting off his face as Tara handed the baby across to him. “No one but him is to call me ‘Grandpa,’” he stated firmly. “And there will be no ‘Gramps.’” Kyle yawned, curling into the older man’s chest as he settled in to sleep.

Giles looked up as a camera flashed, Dawn grinning gleefully from behind it. She pointed the camera at the bed next, but Willow yanked the covers over her head quickly. “Don’t even think about it!” she warned her friend sternly. “I’m not getting photographed until I can get home and take an actual shower!”

Tara smirked at Dawn, pulling gently against Willow’s hold on it. “Come on, sweetie,” she coaxed softly, sliding back into the bed with her. “You look beautiful.” Willow’s head shook under the sheets, the redhead squirming deeper.

“Not falling for it, vixen!” Willow declared, voice muffled.

Tara winked at Dawn and Buffy, the sisters grinning as they exchanged looks. Dawn readied the camera while Buffy moved soundlessly to the side of the bed, fingers sliding to the top of the blanket, ready to pull it down at Tara’s signal. The blonde slipped her head under the sheet with her wife, meeting her eyes with a grin in the dimness.

“Sweetie, baby, love,” Tara started, two fingers brushing over Willow’s cheek. “You’re going to want at least one picture from today. And you are beautiful, Willow. Please?” She blinked, leaning forward slowly. “For me?”

Willow sighed, kissing her softly as she gave in. Tara’s hand pushed the blanket up with one hand, Buffy pulling it out of the way as Dawn took the picture. They separated slowly as Dawn took another picture, catching their smiles and soft looks. Willow sighed, arching an eyebrow at their friends. “Satisfied?” she asked, taking a deep breath.

Tara nodded, guiding Willow’s head to her chest. “Sleep, sweetie. Thank you,” she said quietly. Willow closed her eyes, draping one arm across Tara’s waist. Tara tucked the blankets back up over her carefully, laughing quietly as Dawn snapped another picture of them. Willow grumbled for show, but didn’t open her eyes, breathing deeply against Tara’s neck.

Xander turned around, sure that it was safe if Dawn was taking pictures. He moved to sink into the chair next to Giles, letting out a deep breath. “So, are you going to go out with Chloe?” Buffy asked, grinning at him.

He shrugged, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. After a moment he grinned, nodding. “Yeah, actually, I think I will.” He glanced down at himself, realizing that he was wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt he’d thrown on. “I should go home and take a shower!” He jumped to his feet, pushing at his hair. His eye was jumping around the room, but he settled down as he caught Willow’s eyes. “Will, I’m so proud of you,” he said, moving next to the bed. He leaned over, pressing a kiss to his best friend’s forehead. “Both of you,” he added, smiling at Tara.

Willow stirred tiredly, mumbling without opening her eyes, “Thanks, Xander. Have fun.”

He exchanged grins with Tara. “I’ll talk to you later about the you-know-what,” he whispered, squeezing Tara’s shoulder gently with one hand.

She nodded. “Thanks. Is it going well?”

“Yeah. She’s going to love it,” he assured her, winking. “I’ll make sure everything is done by the time you guys get home.”

Tara smiled, leaning up to press a kiss to his cheek. “Thank you.”

He grinned, nodding. He was taking a step back when he bumped into Chloe, the birth certificate in her hand. “Hey,” he greeted her, laughing. “Sorry about that.”

She shook her head, smirking. “No worries. Tara, this is for you,” she said, lifting the paper in demonstration. “I’ll just put it over here,” she said, putting it on the bedside table, seeing that the blonde had her arms full of sleepy wife.

“Thank you, Chloe,” Tara said quietly, not wanting to wake up Willow.

The nurse nodded, moving to go back into the hall. Xander spoke up as Buffy stepped on his foot, yelping and glaring at the Slayer as Chloe paused. “Um, so…lunch?” he stuttered, shuffling his feet.

Dawn giggled, and Faith rolled her eyes. “He’s a little rusty, can you tell?” she commented. Buffy glared over her shoulder at the other Slayer, shaking her head minutely. “But he’s a great guy,” she added quickly, leaning back against the wall with her arms across her chest. “You should go out with him.”

“Oh my God,” Xander groaned, leaning his head into his hand. “Faith, stop helping me,” he ordered in a hiss.

Chloe glanced between the group, laughing. “My shift is over at one,” she said. “Pick me up in the parking lot?” she requested.

Xander lifted his head in surprise, grinning. “Okay,” he agreed, blinking. Chloe gave him a grin, waving as she left the room. Xander stared after her, eye wide. He didn’t speak for a second, blinking. “Do I have a date?” he asked, stupefied.

“Yep,” Buffy agreed, grinning at him.

“Whoa,” he said, sitting down slowly. “Cool.” He grinned at her.

“It’s been a while, eh, Harris?” Faith asked, smirking at him.

“Shut it,” he told her, pointing. “You’re not helpful.”

Buffy laughed at them, yawning. “Well, you can give us a ride home when you go change,” she said. “Willow’s going to be out for a while,” she commented, grinning at the couple in the bed.

“Mmh, not sleep,” Willow grumbled her denial, the others laughing. Tara hushed her, combing her fingers through her wife’s hair. The redhead relaxed, sighing unintelligibly.

“You guys get some sleep,” Tara said, smiling. “Thanks for getting up and staying here with us. We’ll see you tomorrow?”

Buffy nodded. “I can bring you guys some dinner tonight if you want,” she offered.

Tara pressed a kiss against Willow’s hair, smiling. “It’s okay,” she said softly. “We’ll be fine.” She brushed one hand through Willow’s hair. “Probably just be sleeping today,” she commented.

“Okay,” Buffy agreed. “I’ll make sure everything is ready for you guys when you get home. And we’ll bring you some breakfast in the morning.”

Tara nodded, watching as Giles stood up with Kyle, the baby sleeping peacefully in his arms. He leaned over, carefully handing her son back to her. “Good night,” he said softly.

“It’s not noon yet,” she reminded him teasingly.

“That matters less when you’ve been awake since three in the morning,” he commented, standing up straight. “We’ll see you tomorrow, Tara.”

She nodded, hugging Dawn as the younger girl squeezed past him to hug the witch. “See you later, Dawn,” she murmured, smiling. The Scoobies gathered themselves, leaving the witches alone with their son, the room peaceful and quiet. Kyle was still sleeping, and Tara let her eyes slip closed, feeling Willow’s gentle breathing against her neck.

They both woke up when Kyle did, the baby whimpering and then crying. Willow sighed, coaxing him to her chest with her eyes closed. “I guess we’ve got to get used to this now,” she commented, letting Tara’s hands pull her to lean against herself.

“Sorry you’re not getting any sleep, Will,” Tara murmured into her ear, trailing her finger down her wife’s arm. “You know I’ll help when we get home,” she promised. “We’ll get everything settled, and I’ll take care of him, and you can sleep all day.”

Willow leaned her head back against Tara’s shoulder. “You’re not going to be too busy working on your secret project with Xander?” she asked, voice tired.

Tara smiled against her wife’s neck, pressing a kiss to her skin. “You’re very sleepy, Will.” She let out a deep breath, deliberately tickling freckled skin. “Do I keep secrets from you?”

Willow shook her head against Tara’s shoulder. “No,” she said lowly, still fighting off sleep. “At least, not that I know of. But I guess that, by definition, would be something I wouldn’t know, you know?”

Tara laughed softly, holding her closer. “It wasn’t supposed to be a trick question, baby,” she said.

“Then, no,” Willow said, her head rolling to lean against Tara’s.

The blonde smiled. “Then trust me,” she said softly.

“I do,” Willow said serenely, her eyes still closed. She let out a deep breath, her free hand reaching back blindly to touch Tara’s face. She came nearer to poking her eye out, but Tara caught her hand and guided it to her cheek. “Trust you,” she breathed.

Tara laughed quietly. Kyle was still eating, and Willow appeared to be seconds away from sleep, and it was all perfect. The redhead groaned tiredly as Tara slipped slowly from behind her, getting up from the bed to turn off the lights and close the blinds, the noon brightness doing nothing at all to deter Willow from sleep. There was a small bed tucked into a corner of the room for spouses of new mothers, but she knew without asking that Willow would protest if she insisted on sleeping apart.

“Your pajamas’re in bag,” Willow mumbled, and Tara looked over her shoulder to see the redhead blinking tiredly at her, gesturing weakly with her free hand. Tara arched an eyebrow, but changed without comment. Willow lifted her head as Tara came back to the bed, the blonde finding the cup of ice Chloe had gotten for Willow, mostly melted now and left standing upright precariously in between wrinkles in the sheets. Tara held it to her lips, the redhead slurping down the water. “Thanks, baby.” She glanced down at herself, laughing. “So, do you think babies can fall asleep while they’re eating?”

Tara laughed, shrugging. “I have no idea. Is he asleep?”

Willow nodded, looking down at him. “Can you take him?”

Tara took their son, bundling him into the bassinet. He stirred, but didn’t wake up. Willow leaned over to look at him, smiling as she met Tara’s eyes. “He’s perfect.”

“Just like his mother,” Tara agreed, brushing Willow’s hair back.

Willow yawned, snorting in disbelief. “Sweet talker. Come to bed,” she prompted, pushing the button to make the bed flatten out.

“Are you…”

Willow didn’t give her a chance to finish, tugging her by the hand to the side of the bed. “Sleep. With. Me. Tara,” she stated firmly. She wrapped her arms around her wife’s waist and laid back, pulling Tara with her.

“Okay, sweetie, you don’t have to tell me twice.”

“Apparently I do,” Willow disagreed, voice muffled as she buried her face in Tara’s neck.

Tara smiled, kissing the top of her head. “Sleep, goofy girl. While you can.”

“You too,” Willow mumbled, her eyes already closed.

The next day passed in the same fashion as the first, sporadic naps in between feedings and changings, with visits from the Scoobies to make it more interesting. Willow and Kyle were released the second day and Buffy picked them up. Willow sat in the back seat with Kyle, buckling him into his car seat. Tara and Buffy exchanged glances as they pulled out of the parking lot, the Slayer winking with a nod.

“I saw that,” Willow commented without looking at them. “I’m not bothered that my wife is keeping things from me, the woman who loves her more than anything and delivered her baby not seventy-two hours ago.”

Tara laughed, turning in her seat to smile at her. “Honey…”

Willow waved off her explanation, giving her a sideways smirk. “It’s fine,” she said. “I know it’s nothing bad, or you would have told me.”

Buffy laughed. “You’re being surprisingly patient for someone who knows there’s a secret you’re not in on,” she commented.

Willow shrugged. “I am a little distracted,” she conceded with a laugh.

The Slayer grinned at her in the rearview mirror. “Well, we’ll be home in a few minutes, and you’ll find out,” she offered.

Willow stretched, yawning in her seat. “Cool,” she mumbled. “Is it a nap?”

Tara laughed, reaching into the back to rub one hand over Willow’s leg. “No, but you can take a nap. I promise.”

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed. “We’ll keep Kyle from burning the house down or something,” she said, smirking devilishly.

Both of the witches shot looks at her. “First time he burns anything, you better have a darn good alibi,” Willow warned her.

They pulled into their driveway, Xander moving out of the way where he had been standing looking up at the house. Buffy grinned at him as she parked, getting out of the car. “Everything ready?” she asked while Tara was collecting Kyle and Willow was getting the diaper bag out of the floorboard.

“Yeah, it’s all done. It looks good, doesn’t it?” he asked, arms crossed over his chest.

“From out here,” she agreed teasingly, nudging him with an elbow.

“What are you guys looking at?” Willow asked, peering at the side of the house.

“Nothing, Will,” they both said in unison, groaning as the witch grinned gleefully.

“Sure,” she agreed doubtfully. “Can we go inside now?”

They nodded, hurrying to open the door for her. Willow noticed a few of her witch squad members lounging around the living room, but there was nothing out of the ordinary about that and she smiled and waved as they greeted her.

Dawn bolted down the stairs a moment later, hugging Willow excitedly. “Come on upstairs!” she said, pulling the witch with her. Willow glanced over her shoulder at Tara, her wife just giving her a smirking shrug.

Xander issued a quick instruction to the witch squad before he and Buffy jogged upstairs after Willow, Dawn, and Tara. They went to the witches’ bedroom, Willow glancing around in confusion. “What’s up guys?” she asked, looking around at her unchanged bedroom.

The others were quiet, hearing someone coming upstairs. Kelly appeared a moment later, nodding at Xander. “Good to go,” she said, grinning.

Willow blinked as a doorway shimmered into existence in the wall beside her. “What’s this?” she asked, arching an eyebrow at Tara and the others.

“Surprise,” Tara said, smiling. “Open it up.”

Willow let the diaper bag slide off her shoulder, opening the door slowly. She gaped as she saw that there was a completely finished and previously nonexistent nursery on the other side. She took several slow steps into the room, turning to stare at her friends. “You guys…how?” She pointed at Tara. “You couldn’t have been hiding it, I’d have felt it.”

Last edited by leonhart17 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Pretty Much Perfect (One Shot)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 am 

"That's where we come in," Kelly spoke up. "It was your super-hot wife's idea, and Xander did the plans, and we've been hiding it." She grinned, winking at Tara, who shot the younger girl a chiding look, shaking her head.

Willow narrowed her eyes at Kelly, pointing to her warningly. "Watch it, kid," she said, smiling after a moment, knowing how much Kelly liked to pick on her by flirting with Tara. "You did this?" she asked Xander, looking around the room.

He shrugged, grinning. "Yeah," he agreed. "Buffy and Dawn did the decorating."

"How long have you guys been hiding this?" Willow asked, laughing happily.

They exchanged glances. "Two months?" Buffy guessed, losing her breath in a huff as Willow hugged her tightly.

"It's so great guys, thank you!" the witch gasped, hugging Dawn and Xander next, squeezing them both hard. "I love it." She finally moved to Tara, squeezing herself under her wife's free arm. "Thank you," she breathed, smiling up at her.

"You're welcome," Tara replied, giving her a kiss.

Kyle was waking up in her other arm, blinking wide blue eyes around the room. "Check out your home," Buffy said, taking him from Tara as the witch nodded. Willow pulled the newly free arm around herself, leaning against Tara as they watched the Slayer explore the nursery with their son.

"And when he's older, I can take the door out and seal up the wall so he'll have his own room," Xander said, grinning. "Cool kids don't have rooms that attach to their mom's room," he advised them seriously.

"How could I not notice a gigantic hole in the side of our house?" Willow asked.

Xander laughed and Kelly crossed her arms over her chest proudly. "Not to sound arrogant, but we're good."

Tara nodded and the younger girl stuck her chest out farther. "You had a good teacher," she said pointedly, squeezing Willow gently. "And you, my love, have been a little distracted lately with being pregnant," she reminded her wife.

Willow's eyes were drawn helplessly to their son in Buffy's arms, the Slayer bouncing him gently in her arms, walking slowly. She felt Tara press another kiss to her hair and she leaned into her wife's arms. "Thank you," she breathed, her hands tightening in the fabric at the back of Tara's shirt, holding onto her.

"Of course," Tara responded.

"Not for the room. It's perfect, and wonderful, and so sweet, but I meant more of a general thank you," Willow said softly. "Thank you for everything. Thank you for this life."

"We built this life together, Willow,"
Tara reminded her, one hand stroking gently through her hair. "It is pretty much perfect though, isn't it?" She guided Willow's head up by her hair, meeting her eyes and then her lips, kissing her slowly.

"Getting better every day," Willow agreed, relaxing against Tara.

Can anyone guess what show I was watching when I named the secondary characters? (not Kelly, she was in Ripples, but the other two)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:20 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
That was so sweet!

And I love the name! It's adorable.

Such a cute one-shot!

Oh and I wanna say Smallville...but I'm probably wrong lol.

Thanks for posting!

:peace

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:49 am 

I don't know if you'll see this Laragh, but I just wanted to say thanks for being the only person to leave me a comment :) I appreciate your support and encouragement! And I've definitely gone baby!fic crazy and have already started the sequel to this one :P Cause the world needs W/T engagements in every fic, and MORE BABIES!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:54 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

More babies for sure! W/T kids are adorable. Who wouldn't be with the world's best mommies!

I'm gonna try and continue the 'Extra Foamy' series too, but Hacker's taking up all my time at the moment!!

Can't wait to see this continued though!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:01 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Great story. Loved how Tara played match maker for Xander and how everyone else kept teasing him. I also love that their baby was a boy and you picked out a good name.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:00 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Aww Cute!

I do have a question though. Was that Willow/Tara's biological son? Y'know magic and all. ^_^'

good job though. :peace :party

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:06 pm 

love_2003: Glad you liked it! Everybody gives Xander a hard time :) I'm glad you liked the name too!

Heart-san: Well, I'm glad you liked it! I was deliberately vague on that, so you can have him be their biological son or not, but I was intending that he is their bio son :) I'm working on a sequel that also assumes that they can have (more) bio kids (just make it work however you want - magic or whatever)

Glad you guys liked it!

Post subject: Re: Pretty Much Perfect - Now a short series!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:34 am 

Title: Pretty Much Perfect: The Sequel to the Sequel
Rating: G-PG
Spoilers: None really...
Summary: Short sequel to Pretty Much Perfect... I'm not sure what else to tell you (both of you that might read this) Kyle's three, so besides having to deal with a little kid in the house everything else is pretty much business as usual for the Scoobies...

Note: This one is a bit different from PMP since it has actual chapters - there will be time jumps after this first one, but they should be clear... Also, these are the shortest chapters I've ever posted for anything, so I'll post daily updates if people actually comment on this one :P [/shameless bribery]

Chapter 1 of 7

Willow could hear the door to her office open behind her, but she didn’t turn away from her computer, waving one hand over her shoulder, still typing with her other hand. “Just leave it on the desk and I’ll look at it,” she said distractedly.

“Willow, it’s me.”

Tara’s voice had her turning in quick surprise. “Honey, what are you doing here? Is Kyle okay? Buffy? Xander?” She rose quickly from her chair, moving swiftly to Tara. “Are you okay?” Tara was pale and had apparently been biting her lips quite a lot, leaving them red and swollen.

The blonde nodded, one hand reaching for Willow’s shoulder while the other covered her stomach unconsciously. “I need to talk to you,” she said hoarsely. “Kyle’s okay,” she promised quickly, seeing the anxious question rising in her wife’s eyes. “Buffy and Dawn are at home with him. Xander’s at work.”

Willow nodded, partially relieved. “And you? Are you okay?”

Tara’s hand slipped over her shoulder to her neck, nails grazing under Willow’s short hair. “Can we sit?” she requested, gesturing to the couch in Willow’s office.

Willow’s eyes were wide but she managed to nod, Tara pulling her on numb legs to sit stiffly on the sofa. “What is it?” she breathed, countless horrific answers to her question already flying through her mind. “What’s wrong?”

Tara blinked, shaking her head. “No, it’s not… I d-don’t really know how to s-say this…”

“Oh God, what happened?” Willow asked, heart pounding in her chest. “Did someone hurt you? They’re dead…”

“No!” Tara protested, hushing her with a hand over her mouth and smiling for the first time since she’d arrived in Willow’s office. “Honey, no. No one hurt me. I’m fine. I promise you.” She bit her lip again, taking a deep breath. “I’m actually a little better than fine.”

Willow frowned behind her hand, not sure what that meant. “Better than fine?” she questioned as Tara lowered her hand. “How can you be better than….oh.” Her voice trailed off as she realized exactly what that meant, heart pounding again, the pulse beating in her head. “Oh! Tara, really?” she asked, covering Tara’s hand on her stomach. “A baby? You’re pregnant?”

Tara nodded, smiling hopefully. “You know I’ve been getting sick the last few nights…”

“Yeah, but Buffy cooked,” Willow protested, grinning like a maniac suddenly. “It wasn’t food poisoning?” she asked, laughing helplessly.

Tara shook her head. “I went to the doctor today to make sure,” she offered softly, trying to judge Willow’s reaction as her wife’s face went slack, Willow’s jaw hanging. The redhead didn’t say anything, but was staring down at their hands on Tara’s stomach. “Willow, say something? Please?” she pleaded.

Willow jumped, eyes shooting up to her face. “Tara…” she gasped, eyes swimming with tears. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Tara breathed in relief. “You’re not mad?”

Willow gaped, shaking her head quickly. “No, no way! Tara, it’s our baby. Another perfect kid with the woman I love more than anything. Why would I be mad?” she asked breathlessly.

Tara shrugged, blushing. “I didn’t really think you would be, it’s just…we never really talked about having more kids, and this is kind of sudden…”

“I don’t care how sudden it is, Tara. All I care about is that it’s our kid,” Willow interjected emphatically. “Have you told Kyle?”

Tara shook her head, smiling. “No, I came straight here from the doctor’s office. I thought we should tell him together.”

Willow nodded quickly. “Yeah, you’re right. Of course. Should we tell him today?” she asked, glancing around her office nervously, fighting an urge to fidget. “Oh my God,” she breathed breathlessly. “Tara…”

The blonde smiled in relief, oddly comforted by Willow’s spastic behavior. “Willow, just calm down. We don’t have to do anything today. Just…” She paused, brushing one hand over Willow’s cheek. “Could you hug me, or give me a kiss, or something?” she requested, laughing shakily.

Willow nodded, surprised to realize that she hadn’t done either of those things yet. “I think I could handle that,” she agreed, voice quiet and soft. She moved slowly, leaning in to capture Tara’s lips thoroughly and dragging the kiss out. Tara’s hand tightened in her hair, pulling her closer. They were both breathing hard as they separated, and Willow smirked proudly at Tara’s dazed expression. “That was okay?”

Tara nodded breathlessly, shifting on the couch to rest her head against Willow’s shoulder, curling her legs beside her. “Well, now what are we going to do?” she asked, relaxing into Willow’s side.

The redhead shrugged, squeezing her gently. “Anything you want,” she offered.

“Could you cut out early and come home with me now?” Tara asked. “I feel like some family time.”

Willow nodded, mentally rearranging her schedule. “Just let me make one call and move an appointment and I’ll take you home,” she said, pressing a kiss to her forehead as she slipped reluctantly to her feet. She took one step toward her desk before spinning back to Tara and dropping to her knees in front of the sofa. One of Tara’s hands was still covering her stomach, and Willow shifted it gently, leaning over to press a kiss to the fabric over Tara’s stomach.

Their eyes met and Tara combed Willow’s hair back, smiling softly. Willow pushed herself back to her feet, stepping backwards blindly until she stumbled into the desk. “Be right back,” she promised, grinning sheepishly as she stabilized herself. Tara laughed, watching her quietly. Willow efficiently packed up what she needed, dialing the phone with the other hand. After a minute she was hanging up and slinging her laptop case over her shoulder.

“I’m all yours,” she announced cheerfully, arms wide to either side.

Tara smiled, unfolding herself from the couch and sliding herself under Willow’s arm. “I know that already,” she replied primly.

Willow looked like she wanted to argue for a second before realizing that there was no defense she wanted to present, and she shrugged. They left her office and Willow fished a file folder out of her bag, handing it to the girl at the desk and waving as they passed.

Xander was home from work when they got back to the house and Faith was stretched out on the couch. Kyle had been trying to evade Buffy, the little boy covered in what looked like grape jelly, but the Slayer caught him just as Willow and Tara entered the front door.

“It’s not as bad as it looks,” Buffy promised preemptively. “I’ve got this under control.”

“Mommy!” Kyle yelped from his aunt’s arms. “Me an’ Aunt BB made lunch today!” he announced proudly, still squirming to get away from the Slayer, his face and hands sticky with jam.

Buffy slung him over a shoulder, waving to the amused mothers. “Bath time, little man!” she said, swatting his butt lightly. “Tell your moms we’ll see them soon.”

“Bye bye, Mommy,” Kyle called as he and Buffy disappeared up the stairs.

Willow and Tara exchanged glances, shrugging. If Buffy wanted to try and handle bath time, that was her decision. Faith leaned back to look at them upside down, taking a beer from Xander as he came into the living room. “Is Red playing hooky from work?” she asked, grinning. “Were you guys hoping to do something naughty, because I hate to tell you, but it’s kind of a full house. We could turn the TV up though,” she suggested with a smirk and waving the remote in demonstration.

Just as she finished, Giles joined them, pulling up just inside the front door and giving them a way out of responding to Faith’s teasing. “Oh, Willow, Tara, you’re home. Excellent.”

Willow frowned at him. “What’s up?” she asked warily.

“I wouldn’t advise going in the kitchen,” he suggested, patting her on the shoulder as he moved into the living room.

Tara peeked helplessly into the kitchen, gaping at the mess. Willow laughed, pulling her away. “Packed house is actually what we were looking for,” she said, dropping to sit on the opposite couch and putting her feet up on the coffee table. Tara curled in beside her, one leg curling itself over Willow’s thigh, one hand resting lightly on her wife’s stomach.

“You are playing hooky though, aren’t you?” Xander asked, laughing. “You’re never home this early.”

Willow shrugged, nodding. “Yeah, I guess. Tara stopped by the office though, and I decided to come home with her.”

They all heard a loud splash upstairs and everyone looked up at the ceiling with grins on their faces. Tara started to move, wanting to help, but was stopped by Willow’s hand on her thigh. “She’s the Slayer. He’s a three year old. She’ll be fine.” Willow reminded her. “Maybe,” she added as they heard another splash and a thump.

It was only a bit longer before they could hear Kyle clattering down the stairs, his wet hair flopping around his ears in curls and his favorite footed pajamas sliding on the floor as he rounded the couch at a run. He jumped onto the couch with his parents, knees hitting Tara’s hip and stomach and sending her breath huffing out in a rush.

“Kyle! What’s the rule about running in the house?!” Willow spoke up sharply, pinning him with a look while Tara drew in a deep breath. “You could have hurt Mama!”

“Willow, it’s okay. He doesn’t know,” Tara reminded her. “Go easy on him.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, he mostly got my hip. I’m fine,”
Tara promised.

Kyle looked properly rebuked and he glanced at Tara through his eyelashes, the same look that Willow used with great effectiveness to the same purpose. “Mama, did I hurt you?” he asked, lip trembling.

“No, little man, but you know you’re not supposed to be running in the house,” Tara said.

“Okay,” he agreed, voice pouty.

Tara leaned forward and pressed a kiss to his wet hair, one arm curling across his chest. “Want to sit up here with me and Mommy and you can tell us about what you and Aunt Buffy did today?” she offered, shifting her leg to give him room to slide in between herself and Willow. He slid back into the space with a nod, smiling hopefully up at her, relieved that she wasn’t angry about his unintentional rule break.

The others listened to his stories, Buffy herself joining them to corroborate his tales. By the time he finished it was his bedtime and the witches took him upstairs to go to bed. He insisted on a story before bed, but was asleep before Willow finished it, his little body sprawled haphazardly through the sheets. Willow covered him up carefully, pressing a kiss to his hair as she stood and watched him sleep.

“When do you want to tell him?” Tara asked softly, taking her hand.

Willow shrugged, thinking. “How about we give it a while? Let’s get a few check ups under our belts before we tell him,” she suggested. “Of course, not because I think anything is going to go wrong or anything, but if we tell him now and he can’t tell you’re pregnant, he might not understand what it means. It might be easier for him to get it if he can see…”

Tara’s quiet laugh interrupted her ramble and Willow blushed in the dim glow of Kyle’s nightlight. “And until then everyone can just think I’ve let myself go,” Tara teased.

Willow rolled her eyes exaggeratedly. “Yeah right! No one would ever believe that!” she protested. “They know how well exercised we keep each other. ‘Let yourself go,’” she snorted, shaking her head. “Please!” She gestured at Tara. “I mean, honestly! Have you looked at yourself?!? You’re a hot mama, Tara!” She hooked her free hand through Tara’s belt, pulling her around to face her. “And being pregnant just makes you look better. I’m not going to be able to let you go out alone. Everyone who sees you is just going to try and take you away from me.”

Tara rolled her eyes, shaking her head at her wife’s exaggerated praise. “Willow…”

“I’m serious!” the redhead protested with a laugh. “Kelly better watch herself!” She paused in her tirade as Tara’s lips met the skin under her ear. “Oh…uh…”

Tara’s hands found Willow’s butt, pulling her closer as she stepped them backwards toward their room. “Shut up, Willow,” she breathed just before she kissed her.

“Yes, ma’am,” Willow agreed breathlessly against her lips.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:43 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Dibs, back in a sec!

Ah, my heart is warmed. And I got dibs, yay! I'm not at home but I found a computer to sneak onto lol, so glad I did, this is great.

I totally <3 Kyle. And Willow and Tara. They have another baby on the way, yay!

I also love that Willow basically knocked Tara up (or it seemed like it was an unplanned pregnancy anyway lol)

Yay for 7 chapters!!

And to everyone who reads this, you better comment! I want daily updates!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:42 pm 
3. Flaming O

about how old is kyle now? I love this fic by the way this whole series is really great :) :party :party :party

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

*grumbles*

Yanno, my body clock is ticking and trying to convince me to have kids (which, as anyone who knows me would tell you is a Really Bad Idea)...You aren't helping!

I mean with the birth scene for Kyle (great name, btw..my eldest nephew bears it proudly), it was bad enough, but now Tara is pregnant?

And i can't even demand that you QUIT IT...cause im enjoying this too much!

;-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:56 pm 
3. Flaming O

Really enjoying this story, kinda forgot to comment before, Sowweee. Kyle is soo cute and another baby, wooo!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:06 pm 

Hooray hooray hooray, now I don't have to be so mopey because I'm missing Road to Recovery Updates! Please, please daily updates, kay? Loved Willow's bumbling tenderness as she backed away after kissing Tara's belly, so cute! And Kyle sounds like a rough and rowdy little doll! :) Can't wait to read more!

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:23 am 

Laragh: You're like a dibs machine! And you're not even at home!
I love Kyle too! (I mean, that's my brother's name so of course I love Kyle, but I love this Kyle too :P)
I wanted there to be some surprise factor for this one, so knocked her up she did! (And I'm deliberately vague on how they get pregnant in the first place so imagine it happened however you want!)
Daily updates you shall have, no worries!

lonelylanding: He's three, almost four. Thank you! I'm glad you're liking it (since I obviously can't let it go!)

Morrigan: Sorry! I think I was born without a body clock that convinces me to have kids because the idea just makes me laugh hysterically :P (I'm sure it wouldn't be a Really Bad Idea!) Sorry about not helping!
Thanks (Kyle's my brother's name :) so I'm kind of fond of it!)
Well, good! Because I'm having fun with it too!

ScottishAsh: I'm glad! No worries - I know now :P I'm glad you like him! He's definitely my favorite original character!

LonelyTara: Haha, you can always read them again! I think daily updates can be done (I figure at least you and Laragh will comment :P) I thought hearing that Tara's pregnant might make her a little clumsy, lightheaded and all :P He pretty much is :) Well, here it is! Hope you like it!

Okay, it's in there but since people have asked - Kyle is three, but will have his birthday soon so he's almost 4...

Chapter 2 of 7

Tara could feel Willow’s hand tight around hers and she glanced up nervously as she watched the doctor spread the gel for the ultrasound over her stomach, gasping at the cool touch.

“You okay?” Willow asked anxiously and Tara kissed the back of her hand with a laugh.

“Honey, you know what an ultrasound feels like,” she reminded her wife. “I’m fine.”

It had been a month since Tara had found out she was pregnant, but she wasn’t showing yet, and they hadn’t told either Kyle or the Scoobies.

Dr. Fine smiled at the pair, taking a few minutes to get her ultrasound wand ready and find the baby. Willow stiffened as the doctor made a quiet noise. “What?” she demanded. “What’s wrong? Is Tara okay?”

“Hmm,” Doctor Fine repeated the sound, smiling as Willow made an annoyed growl. “Your wife is fine, Mrs. Rosenberg-Maclay. I just…” She settled the image in one place, pointing with her free hand. “If I’m seeing this correctly…” She pointed to the monitor. “Here is one heartbeat,” she said, finger on one spot where a rapid black and white flurry showed the baby’s heart pumping. “And here’s another,” she finished, sliding her finger to another spot on the screen.

“What does that mean?” Willow asked dumbly while Tara just stared at the monitor without speaking.

The doctor laughed and Willow’s eyes got impossibly wider. “It means twins, Willow.”

Tara’s eyes were torn from the monitor as Willow’s hand was abruptly torn from hers, followed by a loud crash a second later. “Willow?!?” she yelped, leaning up to look over the edge of the bed. Doctor Fine was quick to get around the bed, swatting Willow’s cheek lightly to bring her around. “Honey, are you okay?” Tara asked as the doctor helped the redhead sit up.

“What happened?” Willow questioned, confused.

“You fainted, baby,” Tara answered. “Are you okay?” she asked again.

“Fainted?” Willow repeated, not understanding.

“Doctor, is she okay?” Tara questioned anxiously, wiping the gel off her stomach and climbing to her feet to support Willow.

The doctor nodded, smiling reassuringly. “Yes, she’s just in shock. She’ll remember.”

Willow blinked, eyes focusing on the doctor and then on Tara as her breath was sucked away. “Tara…twins?” she asked breathlessly. “Two? Two babies?” she asked, looking to the doctor for confirmation. Willow was breathing hard as the realization sank in. “Oh my God…”

Tara guided her to sit on the edge of the bed, leaning over to look her in the eyes. “Honey, are you okay with this?”

“Two babies,” Willow repeated dumbly. “How did that happen?”

Tara glanced over her shoulder at the doctor, suddenly blushing brightly. “I think you know that,” she sent, brushing Willow’s hair back with one hand. “Two babies, Willow.”

The redhead swallowed thickly, nodding as she blinked back tears. “Tara, I couldn’t be happier about this,” she promised softly, recognizing Tara’s anxiety. “You’re going to be so beautiful.”

“I’m going to be so big,” Tara corrected her, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

Willow narrowed her eyes in warning, pointing at her sternly. “You’re beautiful and don’t you forget it,” she said firmly, reaching up to touch Tara’s still flat belly. “Two babies,” she repeated, fascinated. She looked up at Tara with a smile. “Thank you,” she breathed. The hand on Tara’s stomach curled around her and Willow pulled her around to lean back against her, the blonde sitting on Willow’s leg while the redhead curled her other arm around her.

“Are they all healthy?” Willow questioned, recovered from her fainting episode and regaining her focus Her hands covered Tara’s stomach protectively, her fingers moving idly over her wife’s shirt.

Doctor Fine nodded, smiling at them both. “Everyone looks good. Tara, just eat healthy and get plenty of rest and we’ll check on you in a month or so, alright?”

They nodded their understanding and the doctor left them, handing a printed picture of the ultrasound showing both heartbeats to Tara as she left. Willow didn’t speak, just holding Tara close to her. “Oh my God,” Tara breathed finally, staring down at the picture. “Twins…”

Willow pressed a kiss to the back of her neck, smiling against the skin. “Three kids,” she groaned, her fingers tracing slowly over Tara’s stomach. “Tara…”

“I hope they have your hair,” the blonde commented, leaning back into her.

Willow giggled, knowing that Tara knew how much she loved their son’s blonde curls. “I’d be happy if they all looked like you,” Willow said. “More perfect, beautiful angels.”

Tara snorted, swatting Willow’s hand lightly. “Sweet talker,” she chided gently. “Let’s go home.”

“And let the pampering commence!” Willow announced dramatically as Tara giggled. “I’m serious, honey. Get ready to relax and count on me for everything. Ooh, I could get you a little bell and you could ring it anytime you needed anything!”

Tara laughed, shaking her head as she found her purse and Willow hurried to open the door for her. “You goof. I’m pregnant, not an invalid.”

“You’re my pregnant wife, Tara,” Willow stated as if that said it all.

“Does that mean you’re going to drive home?” the blonde asked, thinking of the traffic they would hit between the doctor’s office and their home in the suburbs.

Willow nodded promptly. “Yep. Hand over the keys,” she directed, holding one hand out. Tara giggled, but gave them to her as they rode the elevator down into the parking garage. Willow continued her gallantry at the car, opening the passenger side for Tara before rounding the vehicle to climb behind the wheel. She adjusted the mirror, glancing over her shoulder into the backseat. “It’s a good thing we decided to get such a huge car,” she commented, smiling sideways at her wife.

Tara nodded, turning to look into the back. Kyle’s seat was buckled into the middle of the first row of seats and she noticed a discarded action figure on the floor below his seat. “Should we tell him now?”

Willow shrugged, backing out of their space carefully. “If you want to,” she agreed. “We have the picture, and he’s a smart kid.”

“I want to tell him,” Tara said. “And everybody else. But Kyle needs to know first.”

Willow nodded. “Then we’ll tell him when we get home,” she said easily. “And we can tell the others tonight or whenever you want.”

Tara laughed. “Was I this accommodating when you were pregnant?” she teased, reaching one hand over to rub lightly over Willow’s thigh.

Willow caught her hand, pulling it up to press a kiss to the back of it. “You were an angel. You always are.”

The downtown traffic was bad, but Willow kept her patience and they reached their house right before dinnertime. Kyle was on the living room floor playing with Dawn and a pair of toy racecars, but he abandoned them as his parents came through the front door, bolting to Tara and jumping into her arms.

“Hey, baby boy,” she said, laughing as he kissed her cheek sloppily.

He wrinkled his nose at her, shaking his head. “I’m a big boy, Mama,” he corrected her seriously.

“That’s right! You sure are,” Tara agreed. “What are you up to, big boy?”

“I builded a car track! Wanna see it?” he said excitedly, pointing over his shoulder to where Dawn was still on the floor.

“You built it?” Willow asked, following them as Tara let him down, the little boy dragging her behind him as he ran back to his creation.

Kyle nodded proudly. “Yep. Aunt DD helped me!” Unable to pronounce any of his relatives’ names when he had first started talking, they had each been branded with their initials. Faith had been rejoicing in making fun of ‘Aunt BB’ until she had been declared ‘Aunt FeFe,’ much to Buffy’s never-ending delight. Giles was just grateful that he had become ‘Papa.’ The others were still waiting for him to start using their real names.

“Did you tell your Aunt Dawn ‘thank you’ for helping you?” Willow asked, winking at her friend as they took seats on the floor with her while Kyle got ready to demonstrate his track.

“Yes, Mommy,” he answered distractedly, lining up his toy carefully. “Race, Aunt DD!” he directed, pointing to the car in her hand. Dawn lined up her car obligingly and Kyle put his finger on the switch that would start the cars moving down the sloped track while Dawn did the same on her side of the track. He pushed it after a dramatic pause, clapping as both cars shot down the track. His took an early lead, but Dawn’s was catching up when they crossed the line, Kyle’s car in the lead by an inch.

Everyone cheered for him, Willow hugging him as he jumped around happily. “Good job,” Dawn congratulated him, shaking his hand with a smirk as he stuck his arm out stiffly. “You’re a good winner, buddy.” She stretched, standing up slowly. “It’s my night to cook,” she said. “Is everyone good with spaghetti?”

“S’ketti?” Kyle asked, looking up at her. “S’ketti’s my favorite!”

Dawn pretended to be surprised. “Is it really?” she asked. “I didn’t know that!”

“Uh-huh! It is, it is!” Kyle said eagerly.

“Well, then we have to have it!” Dawn declared, grinning at him.

Willow laughed. “It’s a miracle any of us are mature in this house,” she commented, leaning back against the base of the couch. Dawn just stuck her tongue out at the witch, ruffling Kyle’s hair and then Willow’s as she moved toward the kitchen.

Willow shook her head to get her hair out of her face, seeing Tara take a deep breath as they both watched Kyle line his cars up again. “Mama, race with me!”

Tara moved on her knees behind him and rested one hand on his shoulder. Willow cleared her throat, affecting a deep voice. “Tonight at Slayer stadium, we’ve got the race of the century!” Kyle laughed happily as Willow commentated. “Mother and son face off in a dramatic race to the finish! Who will win? Nobody knows!” She counted them down and Kyle and Tara hit their switches with a laugh. Tara’s car was in the lead initially, but Kyle’s flew through the inside curve and passed hers on the final straight.

He laughed delightedly, lining the cars up again. “Hey, Kyle, what would you think of having some more little kids to play with?” Tara asked, sitting back on her heels, trying to ease into telling Kyle about the babies.

Their son paused in his playing preparations, thinking. “I dunno,” he said noncommittally. “Play with me, Mama.”

She did as directed, thumbing her switch when Willow counted them down again. Her car scraped into the lead and managed to hang onto it through the end, but she stopped him as he moved to line them up again. “Kyle, we wanted to tell you something,” Tara started, voice quiet.

“Where would the other kids come from?” Kyle asked instead, fiddling with the car in his hand.

Willow and Tara exchanged looks and Willow leaned up, resting a supportive hand on Tara’s back. “They’ll come from your mama the same way you came from inside me,” the redhead answered, smiling at him as his head came up to stare at Tara.

“Mama?” he asked, shuffling closer to her on his knees. “Where do the kids come from?”

“He’s way too young to know the answer to that,” Willow told her, smiling sideways at her wife.

Tara nodded, reaching forward and taking Kyle’s free hand and guiding it to her stomach. “They’re in there,” she answered simply.

His eyes were wide and he stared up at her. “How many?” he asked, his expression of fascination identical to Willow’s.

“Two,” Tara answered, brushing his bangs back from his face. “What do you think about that?”

He thought seriously for a long moment, not speaking. “They’re for me to play with?” he questioned, still considering.

Willow laughed, but nodded. “They’ll play with you. You’ll be their big brother.”

He frowned, thinking that over. “Brother?”

“Yeah. Like Aunt BB and Aunt DD are sisters. You’re going to have little brothers or sisters,” Tara told him.

“Can they be brothers?” he asked, wrinkling his nose. “I don’t think I want sisters.”

Willow laughed, shaking her head. “How come you don’t think you want sisters?”

“We already have Aunt BB and Aunt DD,” he answered matter-of-factly. “We don’t have any brothers.”

The witches exchanged glances, both smiling. “We can’t choose what they’re going to be, but they’ll be your brother or sister either way.”

He took another minute to think about that, nodding finally. “My brother or sister?” His parents nodded, and he patted Tara’s stomach. “Then can I have one of each? Then I don’t have to pick if I want brothers or sisters,” he explained.

“We’ll just have to wait and see, okay?” Willow reminded him. “But they’ll be your brother or sister no matter what.”

He nodded, leaning forward suddenly to put his ear against Tara’s stomach. “I can’t hear them,” he said. “Sure they’re in there?” he asked, leaning back to look up at his parents.

Willow laughed, nodding. “We’re sure. Do you want to see a picture?” she asked, fishing the picture out of Tara’s purse and handing it to him.

He turned it from side to side, trying to spot the babies. “I don’t see them,” he sighed, disappointed. Tara pulled him into her lap and pointed the heartbeats out to him. He stared for a moment, craning his head back to look up at them and then back at the picture.

Tara huffed in surprise as he used both hands to push himself to his feet, rushing into the kitchen with the picture clutched in his hand. They could both hear as he happily announced his new status as a big brother to Dawn, the witches exchanging smiles as they stayed where they were. Willow slipped her hand into Tara’s as they both heard Dawn talking to him. “You’re going to be a big brother?” she asked, laughing. “Why do you say that?”

“Mama told me!” he answered. “And they gave me this!” There was a pause and he continued. “See? There’s two of them and I’m their big brother!”

There was a clatter as Dawn apparently dropped a pot, and Willow winced as their friend squealed loudly. She tore around the corner and down the hall to the living room, both hands covering her mouth. She stared at them with wide eyes, hopping excitedly on her toes. “Which one?” she asked.

Willow pointed to Tara, an undeniably proud grin on her face, and Dawn hauled the blonde witch to her feet, still jumping as she hugged her. “How long?” she demanded.

“Two months,” Tara answered, cringing against another loud screech of excitement.

Dawn broke away from her suddenly, bolting to the front door and onto the porch. “BUFFY!” she screamed and Willow was sure she saw the windows rattle in their frames.

Note - it's been a few years since I've had an ultrasound, so forgive me if I messed up details - I was trying to write it from memory.[/i]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:40 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Dibsy dibs. One sec.

Quote:
(And I'm deliberately vague on how they get pregnant in the first place so imagine it happened however you want!)

I actually really like that you did that, I'm going ahead with bio-kid from both of them, purely because it's possible in your universe.

Ha, Dr. Fine is back!!

Aww, twins. So cute!

I continue to <3 Kyle

Aunt FeFe? :rofl. Cannot. Stop. Laughing.

Aww, Kyle-y! You're gonna be a big brother!!!

Can't wait for tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:54 am 

Ah god, so, so cute. I am going to read this one again over lunch. Willow and Tara are hilarious and sweet, Kyle is just the cutest thing ever--you write kids really well--and I loved, loved, loved Dawn's reaction. I can't wait to see how all the Scoobies react! :D :wtkiss :blush

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:11 am 
3. Flaming O

Brilliant update, i could imagine Dawn being super excited and shouting the house down in excitement. Cant wait for more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:14 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Twins?!?

Thank goodness they really do have a village to help raise the kids...twins and a toddler is a hella full load for anybody.

*grumble grumble*
(you know I'm just pickin on you right?)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:12 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hahahaha lmao I loved Dawn's reaction!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:37 am 

Laragh: :) You're a dibs machine! That's what I think too - it's possible here, so why not!
Yup couldn't leave Dr. Fine behind (and have to think of another character name :P all that hard work would have been wasted!)
:) I kind of love Aunt FeFe too!
Glad you liked it!

LonelyTara: Glad you think so! I'm pretty fond of Kyle - I love how he turned out! And I'm glad to hear that I write children well (Kyle might be the second little kid I've ever written) Lol, it seemed like a Dawn reaction (to everything) is to squeal so...

ScottishAsh: Glad you liked it! Screaming seems like Dawn's reaction to most things so it seem natural :) Hope the wait wasn't too long :P

Morrigan: Yeah, twins and toddler is a lot! (a friend of mine does it single and she'd go nuts if her family wasn't around to help her) I figure the Scoobies would be a good group to grow up with! haha, I know - I'm tough - I can take it!

lonelylanding: That's her standard reaction to most things so it seemed appropriate - glad you liked it!

Chapter 3 of 7

The witches exchanged glances, Willow rising to take Tara’s hand again as they waited. It didn’t take a minute before the Slayer was on the porch and through the door, followed by Faith and more slowly by Giles, all clutching weapons.

Kyle bolted in from the kitchen as he heard the others rush in, running straight to Buffy and throwing himself at her leg. He wrapped both arms around her knee, the Slayer struggling not to trip over him as she tried to find the danger.

“Get behind me, Kyle,” she directed firmly, looking confused at the perfectly normally looking surroundings and the lack of obvious evil to fight.

“Aunt BB, Aunt BB! Guess what?!?” he chattered instead. Tara and Willow both closed their eyes, waiting for the revelation and following eruption. “Unk’s home!” he announced happily after a dramatic pause, knowing that he had the adult’s attention.

Xander appeared from the kitchen, walking slowly down the hall with the ultrasound picture in his hands. “Um…” he greeted them slowly, staring at the witches as they peeked cautiously around the room. “Something to share?” he asked, biting back a wide grin.

Willow let out a deep breath, holding her free hand out for the picture. “Buffy…everybody…Tara’s pregnant,” she announced, swallowing as they all gasped. “With twins,” she finished, closing her eyes as she was swept off her feet by Xander, Buffy doing the same to Tara.

“And I’m their big brother,” Kyle announced proudly, giggling as Faith scooped him up.

“Good for you, little man!” she told him, tossing him into the air and catching him again.

“They’re for me to play with,” he told her.

She frowned exaggeratedly at him. “Aww, but then who am I going to play with if you’re playing with them?”

His jaw dropped and he hugged her around the neck immediately. “I’ll still play with you, Aunt FeFe! And we can teach them to play all our games so they can play with us!”

“Yeah, but I want extra play time before the babies come and hog you, okay?” Faith asked. It had surprised all of them, and probably Faith herself the most, how much she loved Willow and Tara’s son, spending time with him at every opportunity.

He nodded promptly, pointing to his racetrack in the middle of the living room floor. “Come play racecars!” He threw himself backwards, falling face first toward the floor as Faith caught his feet. The first few times he’d done it had nearly given his parents heart attacks, and despite the fact that Faith had never dropped him and never would, it still made them nervous.

Faith laughed, holding onto his ankles and lowering him to let him walk on his hands toward the living room. He didn’t know the truth about Buffy or Faith, but he had figured out that both of them were capable of playing as rough as he wanted and he knew that they would never let him fall, so he enjoyed taking more risks if they were around, despite the conniptions it sent his parents into.

Faith winked as she and Kyle made their way to the racecar track, the Slayer laughing at the witches that were still being held captive by Buffy and Xander.

“Twins?” Buffy gasped, putting Tara down gently. “Two babies?”

Tara laughed happily. “That’s exactly what Willow said!”

“Well, she’s got every right! You go girl!” Buffy exclaimed, clapping her friend’s back proudly. “Xander, put Will down!” she directed him. “The kids need their mommy!”

Willow took a deep breath as Xander put her on her feet, only to lose her breath as Buffy hugged her tightly. Xander rested one hand on Tara’s shoulder, giving her a happy smile. “Congratulations,” he said, squeezing her gently while Willow swatted at Buffy’s shoulders.

“Too tight!” she gasped. “Super strength!” They were all laughing as she wobbled on her feet. “Hon, next time you go in for a checkup, maybe I can get a chest x-ray, make sure my ribs aren’t broken. And now everyone knows about the babies, so hopefully I can avoid breaking any bones.”

“You haven’t told the other slayers yet. And we need to know more!” Buffy protested. “And I want to see this picture!” she said, holding her hand out for it and ignoring Willow’s complaints with a smirk.

Tara and Willow exchanged glances and Tara spoke up as Willow handed over the picture. “I’m eight weeks in. We didn’t find out I was pregnant until about a month ago, and we just found out about the twins today.” Buffy nodded, grinning at the picture. “Willow fainted when the doctor told us,” Tara continued, smiling fondly at her wife.

“You didn’t have to tell them that part!” Willow protested. “It’s not like I just go around fainting! I’m very resistant to fainting normally! It’s just…she’s…it’s Tara! My Tara! And she’s pregnant! With two babies! Two of my babies!” She pouted as the others laughed. “Let’s see any of you find out your wife is having twins and you not faint!” she challenged.

Tara moved to her, hugging her soothingly. “I would have fainted if you had been having twins,” she promised, kissing her cheek softly. Willow wrapped both arms around Tara’s waist, still pouting.

“I don’t actually plan on having a wife,” Buffy stated, lifting a hand with a smile. Dawn jumped as she realized the water she’d left on the stove was boiling, the younger girl bolting for the kitchen with a stifled curse. “Hey! Didn’t I get accused of giving Tara food poisoning?” Buffy remembered suddenly. “I think someone owes me two apologies! Preferably god-baby sized.”

“I’m sorry, Buffy,” Willow recited, her face buried in Tara’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, Buffy,” she repeated, breathing deeply. “I’m so in love with you, Tara.”

“Will…”
Tara responded, holding her tighter. “You’re just saying that cause you knocked me up,” she teased.

“Psht!” Willow scoffed. “No, I’m not!”

Xander threw both hands in the air, laughing. “You know I don’t think it’s fair when you guys are all talky in your heads! Let us all in on your little secret talking!”

“Tara claims I’m only affectionate because she’s ‘knocked up,’” Willow announced, putting up air quotes before returning her hands to sit low on Tara’s waist.

Xander joined her in scoffing. “I think we all know that’s not true!” he said, grinning. “With the way you two go after each other…”

“Okay, stop helping me, Xander!” Willow protested, shooting her eyes down at an oblivious Kyle, her son still playing happily with Faith. She froze as she remembered how her hormones had gone wild when she’d been pregnant and she bit her lip, blushing brightly with a glance up at Tara.

“What are you thinking of?” the blonde asked, arching an eyebrow at her. Willow leaned her head against Tara’s neck, nipping lightly at her skin. “Oh,” Tara realized, leaning into her unconsciously. “This will be fun, won’t it?”

“My idea to give you a bell to ring doesn’t seem so silly now, does it?” Willow reminded her smugly, slipping her fingers through Tara’s belt loops and pulling her hips closer. “You’d be able to call me whenever you needed…anything, ever, and I’d be able to come running.”

“Honey, we can talk in our heads. No matter how far away we are. Literally the only time we can get out of touch with each other is to go to a demon dimension,”
Tara reminded her.

“Which you will absolutely never be doing, ever,” Willow stated firmly, meeting her eyes. She laughed as Xander groaned, rolling his eyes.

“They’re doing it again!” he declared, pointing at the couple.

“Fine, we’ll stop!” Willow said, ginning at him. “But I’m not telling you what we were talking about,” she said firmly.

“That’s probably good,” Buffy chimed in. “There are impressionable ears around,” she reminded them, smirking down at her godson playing with her counterpart Slayer.

“Pretty soon we won’t be able to say anything around here,” Faith chimed in from the floor, not looking up from the racetrack.

“You love it, and you know it!” Buffy accused, crossing her arms over her chest as Faith winked at Kyle.

“Being best buds with a three-year-old isn’t good for the rep, B,” she stated. “But those id…people just don’t know what they’re missing.” No matter how much she protested or tried to downplay her affection, everyone knew that Kyle was Faith’s best friend and the person she loved most in the world.

Kyle patted her arm comfortingly. “I’m almost four,” he offered, holding up the appropriate amount of fingers on one hand.

“That’s right, you are,” she agreed, grinning at him. “And what do you want for your birthday?”

“A bike!” he declared immediately, having already picked out his present of choice months before. “Will you teach me how to ride it?”

Faith glanced up at the witches, smiling. “I’m sure you moms will teach you, but I’ll help for sure, okay?”

“Okay,” he said happily, distracted by his racecar.

“So, do you have a due date yet?” Buffy asked.

Tara shrugged. “Middle to the end of March right now. But they say twins come early.” Willow’s eyes lit up as she realized there were all new baby facts to learn about twins. “So I guess we’ll just wait and see.” Tara took a deep breath. “March feels like a long way away though…” Even as she spoke, she realized that she was tired, and she pulled Willow with her to the couch.

“Everything okay?” Willow asked, voice full of tender concern.

“Yeah, I’m just tired. It’s been a long day. I think I’ll just sit down until dinner,” Tara assured her, smiling sideways at her. Just then, Dawn called that it was dinner time from the kitchen. Tara pushed herself back to her feet, wobbling as Kyle bolted past her.

Willow steadied her even as she raised her voice. “Kyle Maclay! No running!” He stumbled to a walk, his shoulders coming up around his ears. “We’re going to have to talk to him about being careful with you.”

“Don’t frighten him, Willow. I don’t want my own son to be too scared to come near me,”
Tara reminded her. “I need Kyle-snuggles.” She slipped her hand into Willow’s as they made their way to the kitchen. “And snuggles with his mother.”

Willow hid her smile carefully as they reached the others, taking their seats at the table. “Well, are you very tired? We could go to bed after dinner. Faith and Buffy are here to watch Kyle, and he loves when they read him his story.”

Tara slid a hand over Willow’s thigh, leaving her hand on her wife’s knee. “Very thoughtful of you,” she teased. “I think we can make that happen though,” she added, yawning.

Willow cut up some spaghetti for Kyle and slid the bowl across the table to him, letting him eat it on his own. The adults chatted while they ate, a few of the slayers wandering in late and helping themselves to what was left in the kitchen. Kyle’s face was covered in tomato sauce by the time he finished his food and he squirmed away as his parents attempted to wipe his face.

He tried to scoot away as quickly as he could once they finished, but Willow caught him by one arm. “Say goodnight to Mama,” Willow prompted. “She’s sleepy.”

The little boy hopped into Tara’s lap, hugging her quickly. “Night night, Mama!” he said, jumping down and rushing off to play with Buffy and Faith and avoid any more attempts to clean his face.

“You feeling alright?” Xander asked, collecting plates from the table.

Tara nodded, yawning. “I’m fine, just sleepy,” she said, giving him a smile. She stood up from her seat, resting one hand on Willow’s shoulder as the redhead moved to follow immediately. “You can stay, sweetie. I’ll be okay falling asleep alone.”

Willow frowned, pouting. “I do not like the sound of that one bit!” she declared, stomping one foot. “Come on,” she said, taking Tara’s hand down off her shoulder and leading the way to the stairs. “Bed time!”

Tara laughed, but followed willingly. Willow released her hand as they reached their room and shut the door behind them. Tara let her hair down as she walked into the bathroom, hiding a yawn behind one hand. She opened the faucet and wet a washcloth as Willow pressed herself against her back, fingers stroking through Tara’s long hair soothingly.

“Are you feeling okay?” she asked, knowing that Tara’s morning sickness, despite the name, had been coming in the evening. “Is your tummy okay?” She pressed kisses down the side of Tara’s neck after drawing blonde hair out of her way.

Tara nodded, leaning her head against Willow’s. “I’m alright.” She grimaced. “It’s been coming pretty much out of nowhere though, so no promises that I won’t run away to throw up.” She turned her head to smile at Willow. “I promise it’s not you though.”

Willow laughed, giving her a quick kiss. “Well, that’s a relief,” she said softly, giving her another kiss before moving to get herself ready for bed.

Tara cuddled into the pillow, letting out a deep breath as she drifted inexorably to sleep. She felt Willow climb into the bed behind her, the redhead laughing softly. “That’s my pillow, you know,” she commented, leaning over to whisper into Tara’s ear.

“That’s why I like it. It smells like you.”

The blonde started to shift tiredly, but Willow stopped her. “Sleep, sweet girl. Anything I have is yours,” she reminded her, kissing her cheek softly. Tara kept her eyes closed but shifted forward, one arm curling behind her to pull Willow tighter behind her, giving them both room on the pillow. Willow pressed a kiss to the back of her neck, breathing deeply against her skin. “I love you, baby,” Willow told her. Her hands slipped over Tara’s side to stroke over her wife’s stomach. “And I love you, babies.”

Tara relaxed into her arms, breathing deeply as she fell asleep. Willow was still not all that tired, despite her insistence that she go to bed with Tara, and she let herself just wallow in the warm cocoon of safety and love that was created anytime she was with her wife. She could dimly hear Kyle’s excited laughter as he undoubtedly did something that would send her into cardiac arrest if she could see it, but she comforted herself with the knowledge that no one would let him get hurt.

It wasn’t too long before she heard Buffy come upstairs with Kyle, tucking the little boy into his bed next door. There was a light tap on the door a few minutes later, Buffy poking her head in after Willow answered. “He’s asleep,” she said with a smile. “He tuckered out during the second Saw movie,” she teased. “He’s a real trooper, though.” Willow narrowed her eyes at her best friend, knowing that she was being joked with. “We watched Scooby-Doo. Him and Faith both fell asleep.” Buffy assured her finally, grinning. The adults found it highly amusing how much Kyle enjoyed the old Scooby cartoons, insisting on watching them often.

Willow nodded, not moving from where she was curled around Tara. “He’s sleeping good?”

“Out like a light,” Buffy promised. “I left his door open a crack. If he wakes up, I’ll hear him.”

“Thanks, Buff,” Willow said, smiling softly. “Everything else good?”

The Slayer nodded, leaning against the doorframe. “Yep. Thanks for telling us about the babies, Will. We’re all really excited for you guys. We were talking about it while Kyle was watching Scooby.”

Willow smiled peacefully. “And what did you guys decide?”

“That Dawn’s going to move out,” Buffy answered.

Willow frowned, sitting up. “What?” she asked, confused. “Why?”

“You guys are going to need the nursery again, or another nursery, at least, and she apparently thinks she’s a little too old to live with ‘big sister,’” Buffy answered, shrugging.

“I mean, I guess she is twenty-three, but where’s she going to go?” Willow asked, frowning deeply.

Buffy scoffed quietly, seeing Tara shift under the sheets. “She mentioned moving in with that guy she’s been dating, but I said only over his bleeding and broken body would that happen. For now, she’s thinking she’ll either move in with Faith and Giles, or maybe into the training house for the witch squad, doing a housemother type thing, as hard as that is to believe,” she added with a quiet laugh. “We’ve got some time to figure it out, and she doesn’t want to go too far with two more babies on the way.”

Willow smiled, taking a deep breath. “Buffy…”

“I know,” the Slayer agreed. “I mean, I can’t possibly know, really, but I know that I’m proud of you, and you’re an awesome mom, Willow. You and Tara both. Kyle’s a lucky kid.” She winked at her best friend. “The twins will be just as lucky.”

“You and Xander, you’ll look after them, right? Take care of them, keep them safe? All of them? If…”

“Stop Will,” Buffy stated firmly. “You already know we would. Me, Xander, Faith, Giles, Dawn, JFK, Satsu, even Kelly, would all die to protect those kids. And you and Tara too.”

“I know,” Willow agreed. “And I know nothing is going to happen to us if there’s anything any of us can do to prevent it. But you know how our lives work. How often to we get happy endings?”

Buffy hesitated for a moment, moving off the door to take a seat on the edge of the bed beside Willow. “I swear to you those kids will, even if it’s the last thing I do, Willow.”

The witch nodded to her best friend, smiling. “Then they will,” she agreed softly, one hand finding the Slayer’s wrist in the dim light. “Thanks Buffy.”

Buffy nodded, patting her friend’s hand softly. “Night, Will,” she breathed, lifting herself off the edge of the bed without disturbing Tara. She moved back toward the door without a sound, pausing as she reached the door. “Does this mean I’m a godmother again?” she asked, grinning over her shoulder.

“Yes, Buffy,” Willow agreed with a laugh. “And thank you.”

The Slayer just nodded, pulling the door closed behind her as Willow settled back into the sheets. Tara stirred, but only shifted her head on Willow’s chest, her leg sliding over Willow’s legs. “Why’re you awake?” the blonde mumbled, her eyes not opening.

“Shh,” Willow prompted her. “Go back to sleep, baby.”

“Kyle?”

Willow kissed her forehead, letting her own eyes slip closed. “He’s asleep. Buffy put him in bed. Sleep, Tara.”

“You too,” Tara mumbled, settling more heavily against Willow as she let herself fade back into unconsciousness. Willow let herself follow, peaceful and whole.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DIBS, though I'm not sure if it'll work...

Quote:
“Will…” Tara responded, holding her tighter. “You’re just saying that cause you knocked me up,” she teased.

Heh heh heh

Sweet, sweet chapter! Oh course everyone will look after the kids!

Ah, wonderfulness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:55 am 

hey! I can see it! Hallelujah!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:13 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Woohoo, working again!

(Sorry for double post, but I had to express my happiness :p)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:13 pm 

It was scary when it went down, right? Perfect indeed, Maggie! Fantastic chapter, very funny and sweet. I can't wait till tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:36 am 

Laragh: How did I know you were going to point out that line :P Of course they will, but it's Willow - she's got to double check!

LonelyTara: It was! Very glad you liked the chapter!

Chapter 4 of 7

Willow could hear painful whimpers before she even got halfway up the stairs and she bolted the rest of the way without a second thought. “Tara! Honey, talk to me!” she said loudly. “Where are you?” She ran into their room and caught a glimpse of Tara seated on the floor of their bathroom, leaned against the base of the cabinet. Willow crossed the room in two strides, sliding across the tile of the bathroom to her on her knees, both hands catching the sides of Tara’s head, lifting her face to look at her closely. “What’s wrong?” she asked frantically, seeing Tara’s face slick with tears. “Where does it hurt?”

Tara shook her head, lifting her left hand as she covered her eyes with her other hand. “My finger,” she said, voice scratchy. “It hurts.”

Willow realized what was happening, her heart pounding in her chest and she took a moment to squeeze her eyes closed tightly as she tried to slow her pulse. “Your finger? Okay, baby, I’m here. It’s okay. I’ll fix it,” she promised quickly. “Here,” she said, taking Tara’s hand between both of her own and lowering her lips around her wife’s ring finger, taking it all the way into her mouth. It took a second before she felt the rings wiggle as she poked them with her tongue. She drew her mouth back down Tara’s finger slowly, doing her best to gently guide the rings back with her teeth. She smiled around the rings as she spun them between her lips, wiggling them both with her tongue. “Better?” she asked, picking the rings from between her lips.

Tara nodded, slow tears sliding down her face. “Thanks,” she whispered.

“No problem,” Willow replied softly, massaging Tara’s hand between her fingers. “Does it feel better now?” She dried Tara’s finger off on the edge of her shirt, free hand brushing Tara’s hair back gently.

Tara nodded again, swallowing thickly. “The rings…my fingers are all swollen…” She looked down at her rings, stuck onto the end of Willow’s finger. “I never wanted to take them off, sweetie.”

“Shh,” Willow hushed her, looking around for something. “I know that,” she promised. “Here,” she said softly, sliding the rings onto the tip of Tara’s pinky. “Just hold these, and I’ll be right back.” She scrambled back into their bedroom and Tara could hear her wife digging through a drawer for a few seconds before she was back, unfastening the clasp of a necklace. “Slide them on here, okay?” she directed, holding one end up for Tara to slide the rings onto the chain.

“What? Where did this come from?” Tara asked in surprise, turning as Willow lifted her hair to clasp the necklace behind her.

“Do you like it?” Willow asked, hiding a smile as Tara inspected the white gold heart-shaped charm that resided on the chain along with her engagement ring and wedding band.

Tara nodded, looking up from the necklace. “It’s beautiful,” she said softly.

“Well, good, I’m very glad you like it, because I was saving that for your birthday,” Willow told her, pretending offense. “We’re never going to manage to keep a secret from each other,” she complained. She leaned forward a second later, kissing her softly. “Happy early birthday,” she breathed into the space between their lips, her head moving forward to close the space again.

“At least you’re only a week early,” Tara pointed out. “And I don’t find the lack of secret keeping a really big problem.”

“Are you saying you don’t trust me?”
Willow teased, smiling into the kiss. She knew Tara trusted her, possibly, and probably, more than she trusted herself, and she knew her wife wouldn’t doubt her.

Willow kept hold of Tara’s hand as they separated, the redhead massaging her hand gently. “You know you scared the life out of me, don’t you?” Willow asked, leaning back against the counter beside Tara on her left side. “You should have called me,” she chided gently.

“Because my finger hurt?” Tara asked, glancing sideways at her. “Hon, you haven’t been to work in a week. There was no reason to call you home.”

“It’s not like we need the money,” Willow protested. “I should quit.”

Tara shook her head, frowning at her. “You love that job, Willow.”

“Nowhere near as much as I love you!” Willow stated, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand.

“What are you even doing home this early?” Tara asked, letting her eyes close as Willow kept massaging her hand. “I know you pretty much make your own schedule because of your smarty pants, but this is a little early, even for you.” Willow mumbled something Tara couldn’t hear, and the blonde dragged her head to rest on her wife’s shoulder. “What was that?” Tara asked.

“Came home to check on you. I’m on lunch,” Willow confessed sheepishly, voice soft. “I brought you some take out,” she added hopefully. Her fingers brushed over the pale circle where Tara’s rings normally rested.

Tara frowned, keeping her eyes closed. “I don’t like not wearing them.”

“It’s not like you don’t love me just because you don’t have my ring on,” Willow reminded her. “It does mean that you can’t go in public without me though.”

Tara laughed softly. “And why not, exactly?” she asked curiously.

“Without a ring on to tell people to back off, everyone’s going to be hitting on you,” she said matter-of-factly, as if that answer should be obvious. “You won’t have any peace. Not at the grocery store, or at the mall with Dawnie, or the park with Kyle,” she paused, frowning, “…the park with Kyle is off limits,” she decided, ignoring Tara’s giggles. “No, listen,” she prompted. “You know how we have the cutest little boy in the whole world?”

Tara nodded, murmuring her agreement. “Where is he, by the way?”

“Downstairs with Buffy. I came up here to get you for lunch,” Willow answered. “Anyway, if you’re in the park with the world’s cutest kid, and you don’t have your ring on, of course all the single moms and dads in the park are going to see you as a hot new opportunity. You won’t have a moment’s peace. It’ll just be people hitting on you, nonstop!”

“Because none of them have ever seen us in the park before,” Tara stated in objection. “All of us, together, in the park as a family.”

“We could have gotten divorced!” Willow protested. “They don’t know!”

Tara didn’t respond, just rolled her eyes. “You, my love, are paranoid.”

“I’m protective,” Willow corrected her. “Of my pregnant wife.”

Tara snorted. “Well, you won’t have to worry about anything in another few weeks. I’m showing already. I can only get bigger.”

“And what difference would that make?” Willow asked with a tone in her voice.

“Oh, just that a waddling woman chasing a four year old isn’t going to attract anyone,” Tara answered, shifting on the floor.

Willow scoffed even as she moved to help Tara up from the floor. “Well, that’s just not true!” Willow stated as she pulled Tara to her feet. “You’re the most gorgeous pregnant woman there has ever been!”

Tara laughed loudly, hugging Willow tightly. “You’re a little biased, sweetie, but thank you for that blatantly false statement. I love you too.”

“’Blatantly false’ my butt!” Willow disagreed. “Completely true and factual is what I think you meant to say.”

Tara let one hand drift down to the aforementioned butt, squeezing gently. “This butt?” she asked softly, pressing kisses against Willow’s neck as she felt the diamond on her engagement ring press into her chest as their breathing pushed Willow’s chest to her own.

“Tara…” Willow started warningly. “Everyone’s waiting on us.”

“But I want you,” Tara protested, still pressing kisses to her neck. She dragged herself away reluctantly, leaning her forehead against Willow’s shoulder as she slid her hands back up to safer places. “I guess it wouldn’t be good if I asked you to keep your job and then talked you into skipping the afternoon so you can stay here and let me do anything I want to you,” she reasoned, giving Willow’s quickening pulse one final kiss before lifting her head. “Let’s go get some lunch.”

Willow took a shuddery breath, her eyes closed tight. “Meany,” she pouted. “I’ve got to work until at least four, but I can be home after that if you can hold that thought for…” she checked her watch, “…three and a half hours? Then I’ll be home and we can lock the door and I’ll help you with…whatever you need.”

“Mmm,” Tara sighed, biting her lip. “But what about Kyle?”

Willow groaned, her eyes still closed. “He is a little too young to know what Mommy does to Mama when the door is closed…” she mused.

“What you do to me?” Tara asked, arching an eyebrow at her.

“You know what I mean!” Willow protested, her hands sliding slowly down Tara’s sides before trailing back up. “He’s too young to know what we do in here,” she said. “And he’ll be home.” She sighed, pouting. “Would you mind waiting until tonight?” she asked reluctantly. “He’ll be sleepy around eight, in bed by nine, and we can get away after that,” she planned distractedly, looking up as Tara’s finger guided her chin up.

“Sweetie, shh. It’s okay,” Tara promised. “I’d wait however long it took.” She smirked. “Just preferably we won’t have to wait until after Kyle is old enough to have that talk to do any of the stuff we will tell him about.”

Willow shook her head emphatically. “Yeah, that’s not going to happen.” Her eyes dragged down Tara’s form and she stifled a groan. “I don’t even think I can make it until tonight.”

“You know, it makes me feel really good that you still want me, even…”

“Stop it!” Willow cut her off. “You’re gorgeous. You’ve always been gorgeous, and will always be gorgeous. And you’re having our babies,” she continued. “There’s nothing that could be more attractive.”

Tara smiled weakly, knowing that she was feeling insecure and emotional but unable to stop it. “Sorry,” she offered shakily. “Hormones, you know.”

“I know,” Willow assured her softly, winding her arms around Tara’s waist. “And you don’t have to apologize for anything,” she stated. “I can deal with some mood swings, no problem.”

Tara leaned her head against Willow’s neck, taking a deep breath. “I don’t want to make it rough on you. I know you’ve been working hard.”

Willow bit her lip, fingers trailing up her wife’s back to scratch lightly at the her scalp. “You can be rough if that’s what you feel like,” she teased before groaned, her eyes closing tightly. “Ungh, you’re not really going to make me wait until tonight, are you? I could skip work. It won’t put me behind that much and it would be so worth it!”

“You need to go to work. You’re almost done with that project,” Tara reminded her, finding one of her hands blindly, squeezing her fingers gently. “There aren’t any good-looking secretaries at your office, are there?” she teased, biting her lip again. “Isn’t the girl who sits outside of your office cute?”

Willow rolled her eyes, her free hand sliding back into the back of Tara’s hair, pulling her firmly into a kiss. Tara let her in with no prompting, their joined hands squeezing as they both tried to gain control. Willow stood up on her toes to press closer, moaning as they separated gradually, both short on air. Tara took a long step back, pulling Willow with her and turning to dump the redhead onto their bed.

Buffy heard a muffled thump and laughed quietly to herself. “Alright Kyle, we can eat in the living room,” she told her eagerly hopping godson. She ruffled his hair with a grin. “I guess Mama’s not feeling good.”

Kyle’s lip stuck out and he frowned. “Can I go see her?” he asked, blinking wide blue eyes up at her. “She says when I hug her it makes her feel better.”

Buffy grabbed his shoulder quickly, stopping him from moving. “Oh, um, I’m sure Mommy is taking good care of her, buddy boy. We can go up and see her after we eat, maybe.” She picked up both of their plates and ushered her nephew into the living room. Kyle settled on the floor between the couch and the coffee table and Buffy put his plate down on the low table.

“Scooby!” Kyle yelped, adding a belated ‘please’ to the end of it.

Buffy turned on the show gratefully, clicking the volume up slightly louder than normal just in case. She wasn’t the one who wanted to have to have the grown-up talk with Kyle, even though she couldn’t blame Willow and Tara for taking a few moments for themselves, sure they wouldn’t get many, or at least as many as they preferred, once the babies came.

They’d begun fixing Dawn’s room up as a new nursery, but the youngest Scooby was still living with them through the holidays and until her new room at the witch squad house was set up to her liking. If Buffy remembered correctly, her sister was furniture shopping at that very moment. Of course, that could be wrong since Buffy had a bad habit of not listening too hard when her sister was talking about shopping for something boring like furniture. If it had been shoes, it would have been a completely different matter.

Although, if she’d gone shopping with Dawn she wouldn’t have been able to watch Kyle, and Tara and Willow would have missed their stolen opportunity to fool around. The Slayer laughed to herself as she leaned back in her seat, picking up a bite of noodles on her chopsticks, mentally reevaluating that statement. Willow and Tara were surprisingly adept at finding opportunities to be alone.

Kyle slurped his noodles, smiling up at her. “I like this! It’s yummy!” he declared with soy sauce dripping onto his chin.

“Yeah?” she asked. “I’m glad you like it.” It had been a quick decision to let him try it, but it was Kyle’s first experience with lo mein, or what he called ‘Chinese s’ketti.’ “Think you want to try some of the rice?” she asked. He nodded, mouth full as he held his plate up to her. She scooped some of her fried rice onto his plate and he shoveled rice in on top of his noodles, his cheeks puffed out. “Hey, chew and swallow that, remember?” Buffy rebuked him. “If you choke, your moms aren’t going to let us do fun stuff like watch cartoons while we eat anymore.” She patted the top of his head, drawing his eyes. “And what is watching cartoons while we eat?”

He nodded, a look of concentration on his face as he swallowed down his large bite. “Something we don’t tell Mommy about,” he answered knowingly, well used to doing things with Buffy and Faith that he had instructions not to tell his parents about. He showed her his empty mouth as proof that he wasn’t going to choke and then went back to his plate, easily engrossed in his cartoon again.

Last edited by leonhart17 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:37 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DIBS! (I've totally gotten every dibs on this series so far!)

Aww, poor Tara. Swollen fingers cannot be fun!

I loved how Willow was all protective and doesn't wanna let Tara out of her sight :)

Haha @ horny Tara. Fun.

Hehe. They just can't resist each other

Quote:
‘Chinese s’ketti.’

Oh. My. God. Cuteness overload.

Loved it! Bring on tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:43 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... Chinese s'ketti really made me laugh... Horny-Pregnant-Tara is just unresistable...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:52 am 

Man oh man, you really scared me for a minute. Great tender moment between Willow and Tara...I can only imagine how frisky Tara would be getting all those pregnancy hormones... :blush :wtkiss :blush

Can't wait till tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:18 am 

Laragh:
Quote:
DIBS! (I've totally gotten every dibs on this series so far!)

You have - let's see if you can keep it going today!
I know! Poor pregnant people in general - it just looks so miserable for the most part (from the outside at least!)
:) Well, it is Willow!
Horny Tara is fun! This chapter had a *ahem* alternate scene but it was written before there were twins and it ended up getting cut :P Of course they can't resist each other!
Haha, I'm glad you like it - I'm taking stuff from the kids I know and that's what a friend of mine's kid calls it whenever we get Chinese take out... It's very cute though :)

Zampsa1975: Yay! Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it! She is!

LonelyTara: Sorry - I figured this fluffy little thing might need one moment of tension :P Of course I wouldn't hurt the babies! Haha so true!

Chapter 5 of 7

It didn’t take as long as Buffy had expected before Willow was tip-toeing downstairs again. Buffy noticed that her friend was in different clothes than she’d been wearing, and was at least an hour past her lunch break. Willow blushed as she realized she’d been caught, ruffling Kyle’s hair as she rushed past him and stealing one of Buffy’s egg rolls with her other hand. “I’m late for work! I’ll be home later! Tara’s asleep!” she informed them in a rush, trying to find her laptop case.

She had the door open when Kyle called her, and she turned back to him quickly. “Mommy, is Mama okay?” He had scampered up from his seat and bolted to wrap his arms around her leg.

Willow put her case down, dropping to meet his eyes as she swallowed her pilfered lunch quickly. “Of course she is, baby. She’s just tired. Sometimes the new babies make her sleepy or feel sick.” She caught sight of Buffy coming up behind Kyle, the Slayer hiding a smirk, though not very well.

“I’m sure that’s what wore her out,” Buffy murmured, laughing. Willow shot her a look and she could feel the tips of her ears burning.

“Huh?” Kyle asked, looking between the two adults in confusion.

“Nothing, little man. Aunt Buffy didn’t say anything,” Willow said quickly, giving her friend a pointed look. “Mama’s fine. I promise.”

The little boy nodded seriously, pushing his hair out of his eyes. “Okay.”

“Are you going to be a good boy for your Aunt Buffy?” Willow asked, grinning as his floppy hair fell back in his face as he nodded again. “That’s my man,” she said, leaning forward to kiss his forehead. “It’s time to get your mama to cut your hair,” she commented to herself, standing up again. “What are you guys getting up to this afternoon?” she asked Buffy, sliding the strap of her computer case over her shoulder again.

Just then Faith edged through the open door, catching Kyle as he jumped into her arms. “Hey! How’s my guy today?” she asked, letting him drop to hang by his feet even as Willow closed her eyes with a sigh.

“Good!” Kyle answered. “Me and Aunt BB are eatin’ Chinese s’ketti!”

“Cool!” Faith agreed, lowering him to let his hands plant on the ground. “Want to show your mom and Aunt B what we’ve been practicing?” she asked.

“Yeah!” he agreed eagerly as Willow opened her eyes to glare at the dark-haired Slayer.

“Be very careful,” she cautioned, her eyes still narrowed at the Slayer.

“No worries,” Faith promised reassuringly. “He’s good.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest, but took a cautious step closer, ready to catch Kyle if it became necessary. “I’m ready!” Kyle called from below them. “Let go!”

Faith leaned over to make sure his arms were straight, but let his feet go gradually. Willow’s eyes widened as he stayed up, shifting one hand a bit to keep his balance. He started to wobble after a few moments, but Faith and Buffy caught him simultaneously and he laughed as he leaned his neck up to see them.

“Did you see, Mommy?! Did you see what I can do?! Did you?!” he chattered excitedly as he relaxed his arms and let his aunts put him flat on the floor.

“I did,” Willow breathed, amazed that her son could do a handstand. “That was so good!” She glanced at Faith, the Slayer grinning proudly.

“He’s a natural,” Faith said, winking down at him. “He didn’t get that from you, did he, Rosenberg?” she teased, nudging the witch with an elbow. They got along much better now than they ever had in high school, but it didn’t stop them from picking at each other whenever an opportunity presented itself.

Buffy rolled her eyes as Kyle jumped to his feet, getting between them. “My mommy could do a handstand if she wanted! She just doesn’t want to!” he insisted supportively, crossing his arms over his chest.

Willow put a hand on his shoulder as he started to bristle as Faith laughed helplessly, and he leaned his head back to look up at his mother. “It’s okay, Kyle. Aunt FeFe was just kidding. And she’s right,” she told him. “I can’t do that. You know it’s not nice to pick on people though, don’t you?” She couldn’t resist putting an edge in her voice, teasing Faith.

Kyle nodded, his jaw clenched at Faith. The Slayer took a deep breath, dropping to her knees in front of him. His shoulder twitched away as she went to rest her hand on his arm and she withdrew her hand. “Okay, listen, buddy. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have picked on your mom like that,” she said with surprising earnestness. “Sorry, Willow,” she said, knowing Kyle wouldn’t accept the apology unless she did it right.

“Thank you, Faith,” Willow agreed, biting back a smile. She knew Faith didn’t care about teasing her, as little as she cared about it herself. They were both too old to take it personally anymore, but she knew Faith wouldn’t upset Kyle for anything in the world, so she played along with the apology.

“You forgive me?” Faith requested, a question she never thought she’d be asking. Kyle considered, nodding finally and then hugging her.

“Good children,” Willow murmured, exchanging smiles with Buffy. “Now I’m very late for work, so I’ve got to run, but you guys have fun. Love you all,” she said, kissing the top of Kyle’s head before bolting out the door.

Faith sat back on her heels, grinning. “She loves me?” she asked sarcastically, arching an eyebrow at Buffy. “That changes everything,” she said, faking revelation.

“Shut up and let’s figure out what we’re doing this afternoon,” Buffy prompted, holding a hand down to pull Faith to her feet. “Unless something’s up?”

Faith shook her head, following them into the living room and snagging some chicken from Buffy’s plate as she flopped onto the couch. “Nah. Giles is not the life of the party you might expect. He’s reading some book or something, and I knew my man here would be doing something exciting,” she said, curling one arm around Kyle’s middle and lifting him.

“Well, Kyle, what do you want to do?” Buffy offered, swatting Faith away from her food.

He thought for a minute, laughing as Faith put him down. “Um…the park?” he suggested hopefully.

“Sounds good,” Buffy agreed. “We’ll just leave your mama a note so she knows where we are when she wakes up.”

Kyle’s head popped up. “Can I write it?” Willow had been teaching him his letters and he liked to practice, something Faith was sure he had gotten from his mother.

“Sure,” Buffy said, laughing. “I’ll just go get the paper while you finish your lunch, okay?” He slurped down the rest of his lunch quickly, pushing the plate out of the way as Buffy brought back a sheet of paper and a pen.

He put the pen on the paper, hesitating before he started to write. “Um…Aunt BB? How do you spell ‘mama?’” he asked, knowing how to write most of the letters, but not how to spell. Buffy was patient and spelled out every word of their note, helping him when he made a mistake, while Faith made herself comfortable on the couch, laughing at the cartoons on the television.

Once his backpack was packed with any toy they might possibly want to play with, they left the house, locking the door behind him. On the way to park Buffy and Faith let him play another game that he was strictly forbidden to tell his parents about where he would stand on his Aunt Buffy’s hands and she would push as he jumped straight up in the air and Aunt Faith would catch him (about a hundred feet down the sidewalk.)

They spent the afternoon in the park, the two Slayers tossing a Frisbee at an almost unbelievable distance while Kyle chased back and forth underneath it, laughing excitedly. Faith spent some time racing him around the park while Buffy lounged in the grass, grateful for the sun in the cold air. She called the playful pair back after a while, knowing that the younger slayers were expecting them at home for training.

Kyle pouted as he flopped into the grass beside his aunt, breathing hard. “Aww, why do we have to leave?”

“Aunt FeFe has to work tonight,” Buffy told him as he rolled over onto his stomach, his head on his crossed arms.

“Work?” he asked, yawning helplessly.

“Working out,” Faith clarified. “Working out with the girls in the yard.”

“Can I help?” Kyle asked, picking his head up.

The Slayers exchanged smiles, amused by how enthusiastic he always was. “You’ve been playing pretty hard today,” Buffy said carefully. “You’re not tired?”

“No,” he insisted stubbornly, pushing himself up to sit up. “I wanna help!”

“Okay, little man,” Faith agreed. “But you gotta ride back to the house, okay?” He nodded, jumping to his feet while Buffy packed up his toys again, his backpack in one hand while Kyle climbed onto Faith’s back.

They didn’t speak as they walked back home, both hoping that the little boy might succumb to sleep on their way. Buffy met his eyes as they walked through the front door, Kyle smiling devilishly at her. “I said I wasn’t sleepy.”

“Okay,” she conceded. “Let’s get to work,” she prompted, swatting his backside. “Back outside.” She led them back outside, Kyle jumping down from Faith’s arms as the other slayers started wandering into the yard.

Tara blinked slowly to wakefulness, the late afternoon sunlight fading outside the window. She stretched in the sheets, remembering vividly how she’d ended up there while her stomach reminded her that she’d missed lunch to make those memories. She felt a kick from one of the babies and her hand smoothed over her belly soothingly. “Hey, babies,” she murmured. “Sorry we’re hungry. Your mommy made us miss lunch.” She got another kick for her apology and she sat up, disheveled hair falling into her face.

“This waking up alone is no fun,” she said as she pulled on loose clothes that had been inherited from Xander. She could hear Willow laugh and she walked slowly into their bathroom to brush her hair.

“I wanted to stay,” Willow reminded her pointedly. “You’re the one who insisted I keep my job.”

“Willow…”
Tara said with a sigh. “I miss you.”

“I’ll be home in an hour,”
the redhead promised immediately. “How are you feeling? Any nausea? Pain? Anything wrong?”

“No,”
Tara said, yawning. “I’m just hungry. And your children keep kicking me.”

“I thought we decided that whenever they caused trouble they were your children,”
Willow reminded her. “I’m sorry you’re getting kicked, sweetie. It doesn’t hurt too bad does it?”

“No, they’re just hungry. Someone distracted me from lunch.”

“I do what I can,”
Willow said smugly.

Tara laughed. “And how’s the secretary situation at your office?” she teased.

The redhead scoffed immediately. “I wouldn’t know. I’m married, you know. And the girls here have nothing on my woman.”

“Good to know,”
Tara answered, pleased. “I should let you get back to work, baby.”

“But talking to you is much better,”
Willow countered. “And I can’t say I haven’t been distracted all afternoon anyway, thinking about you,” she confessed.

“All the more reason I should let you get some work done,” Tara reasoned, sitting down on the edge of the bed. “I’ll see you when you get home.” She pulled on a pair of socks and padded downstairs. Xander was on the couch watching football when she reached the bottom of the stairs and he waved.

“Where is everyone?” she asked, pausing behind him.

“Kyle’s out in the yard with the slayers. Dawn’s supervising the delivery of her new furniture, which is not being built by me, Willow’s still at work, as I’m sure you already know, and Chloe’s on her way over,” he summarized, looking over his shoulder. “And it looks like you had quite the good nap indeed,” he commented, grinning up at her.

She swatted the back of his head, laughed. “Oh God, what did she say?”

Xander laughed. “It wasn’t Willow. Believe me, she’s painfully quiet on details,” he teased as she narrowed her eyes at him, not entirely sure she should believe him. “I mean, I beg, and I beg, and she tells me nothing.” Tara narrowed her eyes at him, and he laughed. “Nah, Buffy was giving Willow a hard time earlier, and she told me to pick on you when you finally came down.” Tara sighed, shaking her head with a smile. “Oh, and there’s a monster hickey on your neck,” he added.

Tara froze, glaring at the back of his head and clapping her hand over the spot she knew Willow had marked, letting her hair down with a grumble. “Thank you,” she called over her shoulder.

“No problem!” he called back, laughing.

Tara found the note Kyle had painstakingly written out, smiling at the careful effort her son had obviously put into it. She put it on the fridge with a magnet, sure that Willow would want to see it. The redhead had been teaching Kyle how to write for a few months, and he’d proved a quick study, no surprise to his parents or any of the Scoobies.

She made herself a sandwich and rejoined Xander in the living room, stretching out on the couch to watch the game with him. It only took half an hour for her body to start demanding a drink. Xander offered to get her some water but she pushed herself to her feet, patting his shoulder gratefully as she went into the kitchen.

Tara poured herself some juice, but looked up as the back door opened to let Kelly in. The young slayer was sweating and she waved distractedly as she pulled a bottle of the water from the fridge. “Hey,” Tara greeted her. “How’s it going out there? Is Kyle getting in the way?”

Kelly shook her head, grinning. “Nah, he’s a little motivator out there,” she said, leaning back against the kitchen counter beside Tara. “His handstands are getting really good,” she commented.

“His what?” Tara asked, eyes widening.

“Um, nothing,” Kelly said quickly. “Hey, so, you’re looking good,” she said, falling back on her favorite standby of hitting on Tara as a way of distracting her. “You ready to run away with me yet?”

Tara snorted, arching an eyebrow. “How many years have you been trying that?”

Kelly shrugged, thinking. “Um…four, five years?” she guessed. “And you are looking better than ever, may I say.”

“You’re lucky my wife is still at work,” Tara answered, pushing the slayer’s shoulder and rolling her eyes. “My wife who I love more every single day, and who I have three kids with,” she reminded her, one hand on her swollen belly.

Kelly just grinned, shaking her head. “Can’t blame me for trying,” she said, finishing off her bottle of water. “Back to work.” She waved with one hand as she moved back toward the hall, pressing herself against the wall as she gave Willow room to pass her.

“Kelly,” Willow greeted her, smiling knowingly. “You enjoying hitting on my wife?” she asked cheerfully.

“Oh, yes ma’am!” Kelly said, grinning. “Always do! Can you blame me?”

Willow met Tara’s eyes, winking. “No, not really,” she admitted. “Have fun working!” she called, pointing to her wife. “I’m going to stay here and kiss her,” she added smugly.

Kelly sighed in mock frustration. “Fine, rub it in!” she shouted as she continued toward the front door.

Willow turned to grin at Tara, moving to hug her. “How are my babies tonight?” she asked, pressing kisses across her collarbone while she pressed herself against Tara.

“Very good,” Tara answered, smiling in a way that told Willow exactly what she meant. “How was work?” she asked considerately.

“Very boring and not sexy at all,” Willow complained, grinning as she discovered her handiwork on Tara’s neck. “Ooh, I like this,” she commented, laughing.

“Yeah, so does Xander,” Tara commented, giving her a look.

Willow just laughed harder. “It’s not my fault you didn’t check your neck! You know me better than that,” she protested.

“Yeah, I know,” Tara agreed, laughing herself. “It’s been a while since I had such a big one though.”

“True,” Willow acceded, smirking with undeniable pride. “I’ll have to do better.” She leaned her head against Tara’s chest, taking a deep breath. Tara stretched one arm out to grab Kyle’s note from the fridge. “What’s this?” Willow asked, gaping as she read it. “Well, look at what our little man can do!”

Tara didn’t speak, but leaned her head against Willow’s, breathing deeply. “He’s a little smarty. Just like his mommy.”

“Hey, do you want to go watch him train with the girls? He’s really cute!” Willow asked, blushing at the complement.

Tara nodded, pushing them both up to stand up straight. “Sure, honey.”

“Hey, did you know he can totally do a handstand?” Willow asked as they walked toward the front yard.