The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nightmare on Revello Drive (updated 4/20)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:58 pm 
5. Willowhand

See? Cabin fever and me is a bad combination. Is there any way I'm actually going to keep a decent update schedule for three stories? Nope. But I'll try anyway...And it could be worse - I could be posting my half-finished W/T and Space: Above and Beyond crossover, which no-one would get but me and the other five people that watched the show...Anyway...

Title: Nightmare on Revello Drive
Author: Tarafied4Life (Heather)
Rating: PG13-NC17
Disclaimer: I own nothing. Buffy characters are property of him, and Elm Street is totally Wes Craven's. But if it's for sale, I'll take it...
Synopsis: Kristen's wish for the dying Nancy at the end of Elm Street 3 was granted - but where Nancy goes, HE can't be far behind... W/Tverse wise, the setting is after The Gift, but with a few changes - Buffy was never resurrected, mainly. Giles moved back to England a broken and bitter man, and Spike moved in to the Summers house to help ensure Dawn's safety along with her legal guardians - Willow and Tara.
[hr]
Chapter 1 - One, Two...
Rating: PG-13

“I’m going to dream you into a beautiful dream – forever and ever,” Kristen sobbed as she cradled Nancy’s dying body in her arms. The others watched from behind her in disbelief as Nancy’s body faded and disappeared.

“Kristen?”

“I did it. I really did it. Goodbye, Nancy.”
[hr]
“See, Will? I told you I could do it.”

“Why didn’t you ever mention this before?”

“Well, it’s been a long time. I’ve got to be really close to someone before I can – the last person I could do this with was my mother. I think once with my dad, but he got really upset about it, and I never tried it again. I’m actually sort of surprised it worked so quickly.”

Willow looked around the beautiful beach they were on, and out at the crystal clear water. “So you can pull people into your dreams – that’s so cool! Now I can be with you when we’re sleeping, too.”

“Even better than that – you can do anything you want in a dream, you know. Watch this.” Putting her arms at her side, Tara floated gently upwards about three feet, then crossed her legs and sat there in midair, smiling. “See?”

“Anything?”

“Anything at all. You just have to think about it.”

Willow grinned and bowed her head for a moment, eyes closed as she concentrated. Tara’s startled yelp told her it had worked. She opened her eyes and Tara was back on solid ground, stark naked. She whistled, and Tara blushed.

“Very funny. Two can play at that game.”

Willow felt her own clothes disappear and watched Tara stride slowly toward her. They wrapped their arms around each other and leaned in for a kiss…

“You guys? Are you awake?”

“Dawnie? What’s wrong?” Willow asked as she stretched.

“Sorry, I just…I had another…”

“Another nightmare?”

Dawn nodded, barely able to hold in her tears.

“Come and lay down for a bit, Dawn,” Tara suggested, climbing out of the bed the two witches shared. “Stay with Willow, and I’ll sleep in your bed.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, Dawn.” She kissed Willow goodnight and headed down the hall to Dawn’s room. Within minutes, she was asleep again and pulled Willow in to join her.

“Is she okay, Will?”

“I think so, but these nightmares are getting worse. I wish I knew how we could help.”

“She just lost her sister a few months ago, Will, on top of losing her mother. It’s going to take time – all we can do is be here for her when she needs us.”

“I guess. Have you been able to reach Giles?”

“No. I think that’s half of what’s bothering Dawn so much – Giles promised before he left that he’d always be there for her, and he’s just disappeared. I’d give him a piece of my mind, if I could ever find him. I called the Council, but they’re useless.”

“No surprise there.” Willow sighed. “What are we doing tomorrow?”

“Taking Dawn school shopping. It’s a good thing Buffy had life insurance – I had no idea how expensive it is to raise a teenager.”

“Well, I’ve still got the computer consulting working for us, so I think we’ll be okay.”

“I know, but you wanted to go back to school. I do, too. I just don’t know how we’re going to manage it.”

“This is making my brain hurt. Let’s save the serious stuff for when we’re awake, okay?”

“Deal. So, what do you propose we do for the rest of the night?”

“I might have an idea…”
[hr]
“Do you think he misses us?”

“Who’s that, Dawnie?”

“Giles. He hasn’t called once since he went back to England. I guess he’s forgotten all about us.”

Tara turned from the stove. “No, Dawn, I don’t think he’s forgotten us. He’s just – “ she stopped, at a loss for a way to complete the sentence. “He’s just…hurt. I think he really believed that she’d come back to us somehow. When he r-realized that wasn’t going to happen, he kind of turned off. I think once he’s spent some time alone he’ll come back to us.”

“You really think so?

“I really do. You’re up – funny shapes or rounds?”

“Just rounds, thanks. You guys are still taking me shopping today, right?”

“For sure! I can’t believe it’s almost time for you to start school again.”

“Yeah, this summer’s kind of flown by, hasn’t it?” Dawn reflected on her words for a moment, staring down at the table. She looked back up at Tara. “You know what, let’s not hop on board that train of thought, okay?”

Tara nodded with a relieved smile. Handing Dawn a huge stack of pancakes, she headed for the bedroom. “I’m going to go wake Willow up, okay?”

Dawn smiled and nodded, mumbling something incomprehensible around a mouthful of pancakes.

Tara approached the door of the bedroom she shared with Willow and knocked softly. Hearing no reply, she opened it and stuck her head in. Willow lay in a pile of blankets in the middle of the bed, muttering to herself. Tara crept in, quietly closing the door behind her, curious as to what sleep-thoughts Willow was having.

“No…tell the horses I’m not singing…”

Tara smiled. The last few months had been so difficult for everyone, and it made her glad to see Willow sleeping properly again, as she hadn’t been able to do for a long time after Buffy’s death. She climbed into bed next to the sleeping redhead, kissing her gently.

“Mmm? Tara?”

“You were expecting someone else?” Tara teased with a raised eyebrow.

“Uh…no…What time is it?”

“Time to get up, lazybones.”

“Wanna stay here and wake me up properly?”

“You know I would, Will – but we’ve got to get moving. Dawn’s getting impatient.”
[hr]
In the basement, Spike tossed and turned in the grip of a nightmare. It was the same nightmare – always. He was on top of the tower, and he knew what he had to do. It was so simple – just stop Doc from cutting Dawn. Protect her, like he’d promised to. Then the movie jumped, and he was falling from the tower, knowing in his heart he’d failed. Then the movie jumped again, and he was looking at Buffy’s limp body – then her gravestone.

He woke with a start, just like he did every time he had the dream. “Shit!” he yelled, reaching for the bottle on his nightstand and taking a long drink. It seemed all he could do was drink now, and even that accomplished nothing – vampire constitution. “At least I stayed,” he muttered. “I keep my promises – not like that poncy bugger Giles.” He knew that not everyone agreed with his moving in – although, now that he thought about it, it was really only Xander who objected – but he’d made a promise, and keeping it was the only reason he hadn’t left town.

Thus far, they’d been able to keep news of the slayer’s death from traveling too far. With himself as the muscle, Tara and Willow providing magickal backup, and judicious use of the Buffybot, they’d taken out every demon that’d discovered the truth. Unfortunately, he knew their luck couldn’t last forever, and sooner or later someone was going to figure out that the slayer was gone. And there would not be another – the line of slayers now passed through Faith, and she was safely incarcerated in L.A. Once the demon community got word of that, he knew they’d probably have to leave. But where would they go?

Spike nearly hurled the bottle against the wall, but stopped when he realized they’d hear it upstairs. He hadn’t confided in anyone that he only slept an hour or two a day now – although from the looks Tara gave him sometimes, he was fairly sure she knew. They understood each other so well – the two outcasts of the Scooby gang, the last two to be accepted. He could see what she shared with Willow, and it reassured him that should he ever have to give his life for Dawn, they were there to look after her.
[hr]
The knock at the door surprised all three of them. Sharing a quick look – who could that be? – with Willow, Tara opened it.

“Oh, Anya! Hi!”

“Good morning! How’re my three favorite women this morning? Flush with cash, I hope!”

Tara laughed. “We’re doing fine, Anya. Come on in! How are you?”

“I’m doing quite well. The Magic Box just had its best month ever, and I couldn’t be happier.”

“That’s great, Anya,” said Willow. “We’re just on our way out, though, so-“

“Oh, I know! You’re taking Dawn school shopping, right?”

Tara nodded.

“I just wanted to let you know I’ve been expanding the store’s inventory, and I’ve got a bunch of things I think Dawn would love to have for school.”

Tara, Willow and Dawn exchanged a look.

“Like…what?” Dawn asked. “I don’t think I need any chicken feet for school…”

“Okay, first of all I would never sell chicken feet to a minor. Second, I’m serious! Picture this – an enchanted backpack!”

Dawn looked quizzically at Anya. “Enchanted how?”

“You can put as much in it as you want, and it never gets heavier! Also, there’s always more room!”

Dawn pondered that for a minute. “You know, that actually sounds like a good idea.”

“Okay,” interrupted Willow. “Anya, we’ll stop by on our way, okay?”

“Wonderful! I’ve got to go open the store, so I’ll see you soon!” She turned and let herself out.

“In a hurry to do the dance of capitalist superiority,” said Willow.

“Nope,” giggled Dawn. “That’s at the end of the day.”
[hr]
It was almost dark by the time the three returned, having emptied their purses first at the mall, and again at the Magic Box, where they’d decided against their better judgment that the enchanted backpack sounded like a good idea. Anya beamed as they left, wishing them and their money a wonderful day.

As they started unloading bags, the basement door crashed open, making them all jump. Spike stormed out, heading straight for Willow. “Where the bloody hell have you three been?”

“Shopping, Spike. You knew that, we told you last night that we’d be picking up Dawn’s school supplies.”

Spike sighed. “I know that much, Red – I’m not that far gone. I meant why were you still out this close to dark? There’s far too many nasties roaming about to risk that.”

“I’m okay, Spike,” said Dawn. “It’s not as dark as it looks-“

“Hush, niblet. I’m talking to your guardians. You two have really got to be more careful.”

Willow looked ready to object, but Tara spoke first. “You’re right, Spike. We did cut it a little closer than I would have liked, but we made it okay. We’ll try not to do it again,” she said, laying a comforting hand on Spike’s arm.

“Alright, then. You two ready to patrol?”

“We’ve got to wait for Anya – she was just closing up the shop when we left.”

The door opened behind them. “I’m here! Ready for an evening of fun and excitement, Dawn?”

Dawn looked at her impassively. “We’re not playing the game of Life again.”

“But why? I’m so good at it!”

Tara laughed, and Willow just shook her head. She turned to Spike. “Okay, we’re just going to go change, and then we can get going.”
[hr]
The patrol was largely uneventful – they hit a few of Sunnydale’s dozen cemeteries, keeping their pattern fairly random as usual. The bot was quieter than usual, and they were home within two hours. After a quick supper Willow and Tara settled in with Dawn to watch a movie while Spike went out to hit some of the demon bars – he made the rounds every couple of weeks, trying to pick up news. He frequently came home from these trips hurt – he wasn’t terribly popular among the demon community for some reason – but he insisted on making them anyway. At the very least he could shake down Willy and find out if there were any really big threats on the way.

The movie they’d rented didn’t hold anyone’s interest, and it wasn’t long before they said their goodnights and went to bed. Willow found herself back on the beach with Tara, soaking up the sun.

“Tara? Who’s that?”

“Who’s who?”

Willow gestured at the figure approaching them from down the beach.

“I…don’t know. I didn’t call anybody else – and I’ve never seen her before. You?”

Willow looked harder – the girl was pretty, dark hair with a few prominent locks of grey that fell in front of her eyes. She strode up to them with a confidence born of the trials she’d faced in her years and sat down facing them.

“Uh…hi?” Willow began hesitantly.

“Hi. This question might sound a little insane, but who’s dream is this?”

After a shared look, Tara raised her hand in a fluttering wave. “Mine. How did you…”

“Not the first dream I’ve been pulled into. I guess Kristen really did it.”

“Huh?”

“Nothing – I’m just happy to be here.”

“We’re, um, happy to have you, but – who are you? How did you get here?”

“It’s kind of a long story.”

“We’d love to hear it.”

“Tara, I don’t know if – I think we’ve been asleep for a while.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” She looked curiously at the girl. “Will you be here tomorrow?”

“I’m not going anywhere,” the girl replied, her expression unreadable.

“Okay, we’ll-“ The alarm clock jerked Tara and Willow from the dream, too quickly for Tara to finish her sentence…and too quickly for either of them to notice the little girl dressed in white, standing in the surf and singing quietly.

“One, Two, Freddy’s coming for you…”
[hr]
Oooh, creepy...more to come! Maybe even soon!

Last edited by Tarafied4Life on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: (Another) New AU - Nightmare on Revello Drive
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:03 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

OMG! I know I'm gonna love this! What a cool Idea!

*scampers off to read*

ETA: Yes indeed. :| This is very well written and interesting. :-D Great Job! And I can't wait for chapter two.

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:27 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Ooooo when are you gonna update? Soon I hope. Great start! :applause :clap :bounce :-D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:41 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Okay, i'm dragging myself out of lurkdom because i have to comment on this. This is like, my dream fic right here. Nightmare on Elm Street AND Willow and Tara. Words cannot express :party I personally love that you've had Nancy dreamt into her 'beautiful dream' because that's something i always wondered about. This is awesome! :bow i can't wait to see where this goes! Looking forward to more.

~ Jen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:36 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

hey heather... like everyone else, i'm really excited about this new story too...

can't wait for the "nightmare" (insert freddy) to begin... just curious though, does nancy know at all that freddy is following her?

more soon please!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:53 am 
23. Volumey Text

I've only seen the first and fifth NMoE films so while I know who Freddy Kruger is, I've no idea who Nancy and Kristen are.

Anyway it's a good start to the story. It seems their all having nightmares at the moment, which should make Freddy's job easier.

Oh and as someone who watched Space: Above and Beyond I wouldn't mind seeing a fic in that setting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:35 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hi, All!

Not an update yet, unfortunately, just wanted to pop in and thank everyone who's left feedback - it's much appreciated!

Emms - Glad you're liking so far! An update is imminent, I promise!

Willow Watcher - I'm not sure exactly when the update will be, but hopefully sometime next week. Stay tuned!

Ginner WTluv - I'm glad to have dragged you out of lurkdom! :-D The end of Elm Street 3 always cried out to me for some resolution, and once I discovered W/T, alarm bells started ringing, like "that's it! that's the answer!" I just hope the fic lives up to your expectations - I'll be playing slightly fast and loose with the Elm Street mythology, bringing in some elements from 4 and Freddy's Dead, but hopefully it'll work out like I'm hoping. Thanks for reading!

tarebear - At this point, I'd say no - the last glimpse Nancy caught of Freddy was him going up in a pillar of light, so she'd have no reason to expect he followed her. But being Nancy, she should probably know better...

justin - Actually, if you watched the first Nightmare, you know who Nancy is (the lead female character, played by Heather Langenkamp). Kristen was one of the lead characters in Nightmare 3, with a bit part (played by a different actress) in Nightmare 4 - she was essentially a young girl who had the unique ability to pull other people into her dreams. When Freddy fatally stabbed Nancy at the end of Nightmare 3, Kristen promised to "dream you into a beautiful dream - forever and ever."

And there's someone else out there who remembers S:AAB? Neat! I feel all inspired now - stay tuned for that fic at some point, then!
[hr]
EDIT: The trailer video for this story's ready now! You can find it at http://rapidshare.de/files/15845424/Nightmare_0001.zip.html Enjoy!

Last edited by Tarafied4Life on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:58 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

ok I can already tell this is going to be a wild one.!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:09 pm 
5. Willowhand

It's an update! Yay! And if anyone who's reading hasn't seen the trailer yet, check it out: http://rapidshare.de/files/15845424/Nightmare_0001.zip.html

Dianneswillowtree - Thanks for reading! I'm not sure if it'll be wild, but hopefully it'll be entertaining!
[hr]
Chapter 2 - Three, Four
Rating: NC-17 to be safe
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Willow rolled over to look in Tara’s eyes. “So what was that all about?”

“I haven’t the slightest. I guess maybe we’ll find out tonight.”

“Darn it. That’s going to bug me all day, you know.”

Tara leaned down and softly grabbed Willow’s lip between her teeth, tugging it gently. “What if I do that? Will you be thinking about it then?”

“Ummm…”

“And what about if I do this?” Reaching under Willow’s pajama top, she squeezed her breast, tracing her nipple with one finger.

“Uhhhh…what were we talking about?”

“What I’m going to do to you…” Tara began before a yell from downstairs interrupted her.

“You guys! Are we having breakfast sometime today? I’ve got to get to orientation!”

“Coming, Dawn!” Tara dropped her head into Willow’s lap with an exasperated sigh. “You know, one of these days I’m going to cast a spell around our room so we can’t get interrupted.”

“I know, sweetie. But she’s our responsibility now. So says the will of Buffy.”

“I still can’t believe…She trusted us enough to leave Dawn with us.”

“Of course she did, Tara. Dawn’s always looked up to you, and Buffy knew you’d be a great mom.”

“You’re not so bad yourself.”

“You GUYS!”

“We’re COMING!” Willow yelled. She gave Tara a sheepish look. “Sorry. I hate it when she screeches like that.”

Tara gave her a quick peck. “Let’s go make breakfast before she wakes the neighborhood.”
[hr]
With Dawn safely packed into Xander’s car and on her way to school, Tara and Willow cleaned up the kitchen, showered and dressed.

“So, what do you have on tap for today, Will?”

“Not much – there’s a database I’ve got to finish before tomorrow or the client’s going to get a little cranky, and that new online ticket program for the theatre could use some work. How about you?”

“I’m going to finish up picking my fall classes, just in case we can swing a way to go, and see if Anya needs a hand at the Magic Box.”

“Want me to come with? I can bring the laptop, work there just as easy as I can work here.”

“That’d be great. All the noise in the shop won’t bug you?”

“Are you kidding? I’ve worked at home all summer with Dawn in the house – the Magic Box should have a refreshing lack of horrible music playing-“

“All day long,” Tara finished with her, smiling. “Gotcha. Let me get my bag, and then we can get going.”
[hr]
They reached the shop almost twenty minutes after it should have opened – and there was no-one there. A few customers milled around the locked front door, checking their watches and muttering to each other. Willow and Tara exchanged a worried look – not once since Giles had departed for England had the shop not been open on time. Willow was just about to ask whether they should go and look for Anya when she came running down the street, waving her keys over her head.

“Don’t leave, customers!” she cried breathlessly. “The Magic Box is open for all your shopping needs!” She unlocked the door and gestured frantically for Tara to follow her. “I could really use your help,” she whispered.

“Of course – but what happened?”

Anya wandered around the shop, flicking on lights and talking over her shoulder. “I don’t know. Xander left and I went back to sleep for a while, and I was having a nightmare, and even when I heard the alarm clock go off I just couldn’t seem to wake up. It was very disconcerting. I miss the days when I gave people nightmares, not had them myself.”

“What were you dreaming about?” Tara asked, stifling her grin.

“I don’t remember all that much of it. An old house, a creepy little girl singing. That’s about it – but it felt so real! I’ve never had a dream that felt so real.”

“You sound worried,” Tara remarked as she grabbed her name-tag from behind the cash register and began to ring up the day’s first purchase.

“Not really – no, silly customer, if you put those together they’ll send you to the land of the trolls – it’s just…the dream reminds me of a legend, a story I heard back in my demon days. But I can’t remember the story. Something about a gatekeeper, but that’s all…”

“Have a nice day. Willow? Does that sound familiar to you?”

“A demon legend about a gatekeeper? I’ve seen dozens. Possibly dozens of dozens.”

“Any that had to do with people’s dreams? Four dollars, please.”

“No…Once I’m done working for the day I’ll do some research, okay?”

“Thanks, Will.”

“Tara, I’ll take the next purchase – can you go help that girl in magical texts before she reads any more of that book and blows us all up?”
[hr]
“Now, I know all of you think orientation is boring, and don’t see why you have to be here, but it’s important to get back into the swing of things before your first day of classes. Now, how about a game of hangman, just to get in a teamwork frame of mind? Dawn, would you like to start?”

“Um…S?”

“One S,” the teacher replied as he chalked it up on the board. “Good. Now, how about you, Ben?”

Despite her best efforts, Dawn felt her eyelids growing heavy and her head nodding toward her desk. She fought for a moment before deciding to give in and rest for a few minutes.

The nightmare. Again. She had two that seemed to rotate – the first began up on that tower, watching Buffy jump, and then there was this one.

She stood in front of Buffy’s gravestone, calmly laying flowers at its base. The flowers looked like roses, but their blooms were black as coal and their stems were crumbling. As she laid the last flower down, a thorn pricked her finger and a drop of her blood landed on the fresh earth of the grave. The sight of her blood soaking into the dirt filled her with a sense of foreboding, just like it did every time she had the dream – something bad was going to happen, she just didn’t know what it was.

That’s when the hand punched through the dirt and grabbed her ankle. Dawn screamed as Buffy emerged from her grave, staring accusingly at her. “It should have been you, Dawn,” Buffy intoned in a low voice. “It should have been you – the world needs a slayer, and it doesn’t need you.”

“I know!” Dawn screamed. “I know you should be alive, and I should be dead. But I can’t help it!”

Buffy’s face began to change, and her voice was lower and gravelly when she spoke. “I can.” She swiped at Dawn with one hand, and blood flowed from a cut on her cheek. Dawn screamed – and bolted upright in her desk, gasping.

“Well, if Ms. Summers is quite finished with her performance, perhaps we could return to…Dawn, what happened to your cheek?”

Reaching up and probing with a trembling hand, she screamed again when her fingers came away sticky with blood.
[hr]
“No, of course I’ll be there right away. Don’t let her leave without me.” Tara pulled her nametag off and handed it to Anya. “I’ll be back in a bit.”

“Tara? What’s wrong?” Willow called.

“It’s Dawn – the principal called and said she had some kind of episode during her orientation.”

“What kind of episode?”

“He wasn’t exactly sure – just said she was hysterical, and that she had a nasty cut on her cheek. I guess they haven’t been able to get her to explain it yet.”

“Oh, boy. Do you want me to come with?”

“No, I’ll get her. You should stay, in case Anya needs any help. I’ll be right back.” She kissed the top of Willow’s head and headed for the door. It was a quick drive to the school, and she was in the office within ten minutes. She quickened her pace as she heard Dawn screaming from within. The principal rushed out to meet her. “Come in, please. We can’t seem to calm her down.”

“Don’t touch me!” Dawn screamed. “Stay away from me!” Tara pulled open the door.

“Dawn?”

“Tara!” She was nearly bowled over as Dawn threw herself into her arms.

“Dawn, you’re bleeding! What happened?”

“It was Buffy…” Dawn replied, staring wildly up at her.

“Okay – Principal Williams, I’m going to take Dawn home.”

“Sure – that’s probably for the best. But before you go, do you mind me asking why you’re listed as her emergency contact when her sister is her legal guardian?”

“Her sister’s really busy lately. The odds of getting a hold of me are a lot better.”

“Right. Okay – we’ll see you tomorrow for class, okay Dawn?”

Dawn managed a weak nod as Tara led her to the car, holding back her tears until they were both inside and the doors closed before breaking down, leaning over to put her head in Tara’s lap.

“Dawn…” Tara began once she’d calmed down a little, “what do you mean, it was Buffy?”

“You know the nightmare where I’m at her grave?”

Tara comfortingly stroked Dawn’s hair with one hand. “Yes, Dawnie, I know the one.”

“It was that one again, but it ended different this time. After…” she choked back a sob, “after she told me it should have been me, she clawed at me with one hand – I felt her cut my cheek. And then I woke up, and there was a cut right where there was in my dream – Tara, how can that be?”

“Dawn…are you sure you didn’t cut it with a fingernail or something while you were asleep?”

“I thought of that – but my friend Stacy, she sits right next to me…and she swears I didn’t move at all while I was sleeping, and that cut wasn’t there until I woke up.”

“I’ll have to get Willow to check into it, sweetie. I’ve never heard of anything like that.”

“It’s Buffy, isn’t it? It’s not just a nightmare – she’s haunting me for living when she died.”

“Dawn, n-no! Buffy loved you, and she did what she did for all of us. She would never b-blame you, or any of us.”

“Then why? What is this?”

“I don’t know, but we’ll figure it out. I promise.”
[hr]
“So she woke up with a cut on her cheek that wasn’t there when she went to sleep?”

“That’s what she says, Spike – and everyone who was close enough to see it says the same thing.”

“And you two whiz kids haven’t found out a bloody thing yet?”

“Well, we were getting there!” Willow shot back. “But then we had to cut the research short to patrol-“ she was cut off when three vampires jumped from the alleyway nearest them and charged. Spike pulled a stake from his jacket and charged headlong, while Willow and Tara joined hands and chanted a quick spell to disorient their attackers. The Buffybot, who’d been walking behind them, rushed in after Spike. The battle lasted less than a minute, and ended with three fresh piles of dust. Spike rubbed his hands on his jacket and rejoined Willow and Tara, the Buffybot not far behind.

“Red, what’s with the bot lately? She hardly says a word.”

“I don’t know – nothing’s changed in her programming, at least not that I can find.”

“Dawn,” the bot said mournfully.

“What was that?” Tara asked. “What about Dawn?”

“We need to help Dawn. She’s my sister, and I love her, and we need to keep her safe.” The bot sounded so much like Buffy in that instant that no-one could form the words to reply. Spike made a harsh, strangled sound and turned away, angrily throwing the stake he still carried against the wall of the closest building – the theater. It clattered to the pavement and the moment of silence that followed felt like a heavy blanket.

“We will,” Tara finally replied, her voice low and thick. “We’ll k-keep her safe.”

“That’s enough patrolling for tonight,” Spike muttered. “Take the bot home; I’m going to go persuade Willy to tell me if he knows anything about this dream business.”

“But Spike-“

“Just go! I’ll be home later.”

He stormed off, and the bot looked to Willow in confusion. “Did I do something bad?”

“No, no. He’s just…worried about Dawn.”

“Oh. So am I.”
[hr]
Willy jumped when the door crashed open, but relaxed again when he saw who it was. “Hey, Spike. What can I getcha?”

“The usual – some blood and some information.”

“Haven’t heard much lately,” Willy said over his shoulder as he poured the blood. “Lookin’ for something in particular?”

“Some kind of demon – rare, I’d guess, since I’ve never heard of it – that can…I don’t know, invade folks’ dreams? Hurt them in the dream and in real life too?”

“Doesn’t ring a bell, my friend. Here’s your blood.” As he set it down on the counter, Spike reached up and grabbed him by his collar.

“You better be sure, mate. This is about Dawn.”

Willy went silent and thought for a long moment. One of things Spike had made clear at every demon haunt he visited was that the Slayer’s kid sister was off limits – and that any demon or entity who threatened her would face swift retribution.

“No, Spike. Sorry, I never heard of anything like that. You could ask…no, wait, he’s dead…oh…no, he’s not on this plane anymore…oh! Oh! I know just the guy – let me write down how to get there – it’ll take you a few hours.”

Spike released him and downed the shot of blood while Willy scribbled directions on a napkin. “Here you go, buddy.”

He reached for his wallet, but Willy held up a hand. “Don’t worry about it. On the house.”

Nodding his thanks, he headed out, consulting Willy’s directions.
[hr]
Dawn had turned in early, still worn out from what had happened at school, and Tara was nodding off halfway through supper, so she and Willow left the dishes to be done the next morning and went to bed. It was only a few minutes after their heads hit their pillows when they were back on the familiar beach, stretched out on lounge chairs and looking across at the woman they’d met the night before, who was occupying a chair opposite theirs.

“Hello again,” the woman began with a smile.

“Hi. How are you?”

“I’m doing great, thanks. How are you guys?”

“Really good. I’m Willow, by the way, and this is Tara.”

“Nancy.” She looked intently at Tara. “So, you can pull other people into your dreams? That’s a rare talent. I’ve only met one other person who could do that.”

Tara flushed and looked down, her hair falling in front of her eyes, and Willow frowned. As much as Tara’s self-confidence had soared in the past year after standing up to her family and her encounter with Glory, she still had infrequent lapses into her old habits.

“Y-Yes, I can. Ever since I w-was a kid. But I didn’t call you here – at l-least I don’t think I did.”

“Oh, I know you didn’t. But the fact that you can do it is probably why I’m here.” Regarding their confused expressions, Nancy smiled. “Sorry – I guess I should start at the beginning…”

She laid it all out for them – the history of Springwood, Elm Street and Freddy, her first victory over him – and their return engagement, when he fatally stabbed her in the guise of her father. She finished the tale with Kristen’s promise to dream her into a beautiful dream.

“So she sent you here?”

“Probably not on purpose – you were probably the only person close enough who had the power to bring me in.”

“So you’re…stuck here?”

“I guess so. But it’s better than dying.”

“Where, um, do you go when we’re not here?”

“Nowhere. This place, this dream, exists whether you’re asleep or not. It’s paradise, really. I swim, and tan, and read, and I’ve got nowhere to go and nowhere I have to be.”

Willow was suddenly struck by a thought. “Wait a minute! When Dawn woke up with that cut on her cheek that she got in her dream…”

“You don’t think…”

“Well, it m-makes sense I guess…if you could come here, he could have followed you.”

“No, it’s impossible! They buried him, in consecrated ground! He was nothing but a pillar of light when I disappeared!”

“But you said yourself you’ve killed him before and he came back. What’s to stop that from happening again?”

Nancy put her head in her hands for a moment, and then looked up at Tara with naked fear evident in her eyes. “If he’s followed me, then you’re in danger. You and everyone you know. If he can already hurt this Dawn, then he’s more powerful now than ever. When he attacked Kristen, he could only get to other people if she called them in. Now it seems he can get to people you know, even if you don’t call them.”

“What do we do?”

“God, I don’t want to have to do this again. Okay…there’s safety in numbers. It might be a good idea to call Dawn into your dreams from now on – and anyone else close enough to you that they might be in danger.”

Willow and Tara looked at each other. “Anya and Xander. And Spike.”

“Try to sleep at the same time – if one of you falls asleep alone, there’s a good chance you won’t wake up. And remember – you can’t trust anything you see in your dreams now. He’s got incredible power in the dream world, and he’ll use your own perceptions against you.”

Tara nodded, and Nancy regarded her quizzically. “You know, you seem sort of blasé about the idea of a demon that can attack you in your sleep.”

“He’s n-not exactly the first demon we’ve dealt with.”

“When this is all over, you’ll have to tell me more – but take my word for it; whatever you’ve fought until now, nothing’s prepared you for this. He’s evil – pure, unadulterated evil. I’ll help you all as much as I can, but you’re going to have to find a way to do what I couldn’t – stop him for good.”

Dawn’s scream jerked them from the dream before they could reply.

“Three, Four, better lock your door…”
[hr]
Here endeth the update. More to come soon!

Post subject: Re: Nightmare on Revello Drive (updated 3/19)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:25 am 
23. Volumey Text

Dibs!

ETA

Quote:
Actually, if you watched the first Nightmare, you know who Nancy is (the lead female character, played by Heather Langenkamp)

Ah well it's been a while since I saw it so I couldn't remember the main characters name. So after beating Freddie in the first film, she get's killed in one of the sequels? I have to say that kind of sucks.

One thing that doesn't suck is this story :) That was a great update.

It's good they know what they're dealing with, though there's still a lot of questions. Like how are they going to beat Freddy? I wonder if their magic will work in the dreamscape.

Since Nancy is just a dream now does that make her immune to Freddy's attacks? And will she be able to manipulate the dreamscape in the same way that Freddy can?

Also what's the deal with the Buffy bot? is that Buffy trying to protect Dawn from beyond the grave?

Well I'm sure these and other questions will be answered in future updates, so I'll wait patiently for the next part.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:01 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

I'm so glad to see an update. I'll leave feedback a little later. :kgeek

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:40 pm 

Update! Yeah! :party This part was awesome Tarafied4Life. I'm also curious to see how they're gonna beat Freddy. As we know, he won't go down without a fight....and he definately doesn't stay down for very long. With Nancy being dead, i wonder if Freddy can harm her at all. Since she can't be killed in 'real life'. Hopefully Nancy will be around long enough to help our two wiccans figure this out.

Dawn waking up with a cut on her check literally gave me shivers. Reminded me so much of the movies. More specifically, the first one with Nancy in the class room of her school. Although, thankfully, without the creepy dead bodies. ;-) I can't wait to read more! I wonder what's happening with Dawn.... and the still effective freddy-rhyme gets me every time. ;-) Wonderful! Please, please continue!

~ Jen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 am 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day, Heather.

Well, I'm a relative newcomer to the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, since I only watched the first three for the first since I bought them on DVD this year, but this is looking pretty nice. The trailer you've whipped up is pretty good too. Nice job!

It's a pretty good idea you've come up with here, having Nancy be dreamed into Tara's own personal dreamscape. Gotta say, I'm not too impressed with Giles for bailing, though you can't blame him too much. Hopefully he'll turn back up, avoid becoming fodder for Freddy, and maybe even not get hit on the head for a change.

I have to say, I'm a bit dubious about Anya's magic backback. If it works, great, but I'm almost expecting Dawn to reach in one time and pull something out that she never put in. Maybe that's just me. :d

Can't wait to hear those finger blades scraping along the wall.

Cheers,
Paul.

PS. Consider me another person who'd like to see a Space: Above and Beyond fic. Damn, I loved that show.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:53 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hey, All! Apologies for the shortness of this chapter, but it's sort of a bridge - we really get rolling in the next one.

Feedbackmobile:

justin - Yeah, Nancy's death in the third movie was kind of a down note - although they brought Heather Langenkamp back for the eternally confusing Heather/Nancy part in Wes Craven's New Nightmare, so that was cool. I'm glad the story doesn't suck!

That's question number uno, isn't it? How do they beat Freddy...the magic might work, but it probably wouldn't be enough on its own. As far as Nancy, another excellent question - to be answered soon. As far as the Buffybot...keep reading!

Emms - Thanks for reading!

Ginner WTluv - The Nancy question is the big one - won't be answered this time out, unfortunately, but soon! I promise. I'm glad you liked the scene with Dawn - I sort of based it on the first one and a little of the fourth one, so I'm glad it caught the mood. As far as the dead bodies...well, there may be one or two of those before its all said and done. I still love the Freddy-rhyme myself - one of Wes Craven's best inventions ever. Thanks for reading, and I hope you continue to enjoy!

Darth Pacula - Welcome! If you've only seen the first three, I'd highly recommend Freddy's Dead and New Nightmare - both excellent shows. Four and Five are good too, but if you've got limited time I'd go with those two. Thanks for your comment on the trailer, too - it was a fun little project that actually turned out decently well.

Part of the Giles question will be answered in this chapter, but as for whether he'll come back (or especially whether he'll not get hit on the head for a change), that'll have to wait.

And I'm heartily with you on the magic backpack. Trust that it'll make an appearance before long....

Thanks for reading! And another S:AAB watcher? Cool! I didn't think there was this many of us left! That fic may be in the pipe for a while, but it will be written!

Chapter 3 - Five, Six
Rating: R for violence

Willow and Tara ran side-by-side down the hall and crashed through Dawn’s bedroom door – to find her sitting up in her bed with a finger on her lips to quiet them.

“Sorry,” she whispered. “I woke up and felt an arm around me – it just scared me. I didn’t know it was her.”

It wasn’t until she pointed it out that they noticed the Buffybot curled up on the bed.

“Do you want us to take her out, Dawn?”

“No, she’s okay. I’m up now anyway – I thought maybe I’d talk to her for a bit, see what made her come in here.”

“Okay…we’ll see you for breakfast in an hour or so.”

Tara shot Willow a look as they eased the door closed. “Will, you really need to check her programming again.”

“I know. She’s acting…well, she’s acting like Buffy.”
[hr]
“What can I do for you, vampire?”

Spike looked around slowly. The place had looked like a non-descript bungalow from the outside, but there was obviously powerful magic at work inside – there seemed to be more square footage to the place than the average castle.

“Right – you know who I am?”

“Quite – your reputation precedes you, William,” replied the creature Willy had sent him to. It was obviously a demon, but Spike had never seen anything like it. Its skin was a deep rust color, and it was tall – almost eight feet. A single horn protruded from the front of its bald head, and its eyes were a brilliant gold – but the thing that struck him as the strangest was that the creature was clothed in a sharp Armani suit.

“Then I’ll get to the point. I need information on a demon.”

“As you’re no doubt aware, I am a trafficker in information. But even I need slightly more detail than that.”

“I don’t know what it’s called, or what it looks like, or I wouldn’t be here, would I? All I know is that it can hurt folks in their dreams – and that hurts them in real life.”

The creature regarded him impassively.

“Well? Do you know anything or not?”

“I know the creature. I will not speak its name in this place, but I well tell you where to seek information – what tomes to consult – and give you a phrase you should remember.”

“Out with it, then!”

“I am a trafficker, William. Traffic goes two ways. I don’t give you this for free.”

“How much?”

“Please. Nothing so vulgar as money. Just information. An answer to a question.”

“What’s the question?”

“Well, you see, I’ve been hearing rumors in the demon community – and I’d like to verify them. Is the slayer dead?”

“What? Of course not.”

The demon looked him carefully up and down. “Right. Thank you, Spike. That’s all I wanted to know.”

“Look – whatever you think you know, you keep it to yourself, understand? If that were true, and word of it got out…you’re not going to tell a bloody soul.”

The demon raised its hand, palm out, and Spike flew backward across the room, crashing heavily into the wall.

“Do not presume to dictate to me, vampire. I will use my information as I see fit. Now – here is a list of tomes, and here is the phrase to remember – ‘the son of a hundred maniacs.’

“So what the bloody hell does that mean?”

“Our exchange is concluded. Do not darken my door again without something else to offer.” It waved its hand and Spike found himself outside Willy’s place.

“Hey…where’s my motorbike?”
[hr]
“Buffy?” called Xander. “Buffy, where are you?” She had to be here – he’d seen her come down the stairs into the basement just a moment ago. Suddenly, in the dim light given off by the flaming boiler, he saw her again.

“Xander?” she called in a low voice. “Aren’t you coming?” She ran her hand seductively down the pipe next to her – and Xander frowned at the harsh squeal of metal on metal he thought he heard when she did.

“I’m here, Buff,” he replied, putting the odd noise out of his mind – probably just a piece of machinery or a loose pipe.

She ducked around a corner and peered out coyly. “Come and get me!” She giggled as she ducked and weaved around the equipment and machinery that filled the basement, Xander close on her heels. After a few minutes pursuit he caught her and pulled her into a tight embrace. She felt good against him, warm and alive.

“Buffy, I’ve missed you so much.”

She reached under his shirt with one hand, lightly rubbing his back. “Want to show me how much?” she asked in a hoarse whisper.

He pulled back and stared at her in confusion. “Huh?”

“Come on, Xander. Tell me how much you missed me.” She held up her hand, inexplicably clad in a brown glove with a blade on each finger. “Did it leave a HOLE in you?” she cried, driving the blades toward his stomach…

And he awoke with a cry as he realized Anya was shaking him and calling his name. He almost breathed a sigh of relief – until he looked down and saw that the front of his pajamas was shredded, and then he passed out.
[hr]
“You let me die.”

“No…I tried to help. I did everything I could possibly have done – I even killed Ben.”

“And did it save me?”

“No.”

“So you did your job, then – watched me die. That’s what a watcher does, right?”

“I…you’re right, Buffy. Of course, you’re right.”

“But it’s okay, Giles. I’m at peace now – you never have to worry about me again.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be. I can help you be at peace, too.”

“What-“

“Come and give me a hug, Giles. Just like old times – hold me and tell me everything will be all right, like you did when mom died.”

“Of course.” He started toward her, and had crossed half the distance before he realized her form was shifting, changing…becoming something else.

“Buffy?”

“Come give me a hug!”

“Oh god…” He turned and began to run, only to have the very walls move around him, trapping him only feet from…whatever this thing impersonating Buffy was. She/It began to stalk slowly after him…when his wristwatch alarm went off and pulled him out of the dream. He reached for the phone on his bedside table to do something long overdue – call Sunnydale.
[hr]
It was early afternoon in England, and thus early morning in Sunnydale, when the phone rang in the kitchen.

“Hello?”

“Willow?

“That it is…who’s this?”

“Sorry, the connection’s awful – it’s Giles.”

She was silent.

“Willow? Damn, did I lose you? Willow?”

“I’m here. What do you want?”

“Willow…”

“I’m sorry, Giles. But you need to get to the point – I’ve thought so many times about what I’d say to you when you called, and I was going to try to be supporto-girl, but I’m really mad at you, and I don’t think I want to talk to you for very long.”

“I know I haven’t called as often as I should have, but-“

“No. Don’t give me excuses, Giles. If you don’t want to talk to me and Tara, or Xander, or Anya, then that’s fine. But I’ll never forgive you for not talking to Dawn. You made a promise, and you broke it. You were the closest thing she had to a father, and you abandoned her. And there’s nothing you can say that can make that better, so just say what you’ve called to say.”

Giles sighed. “I’ve had…some sort of demonic attack in my dreams. I nodded off a bit ago, and dreamt of Buffy – only it wasn’t Buffy. Normally I would have written it off as a nightmare, but it seemed far too real for that.”

“We know all about it. We know its name, and we’re going to start researching ways to stop it this morning.”

“Can…Would you like my help?”

“No. And until you think of some way to make things better for Dawn, I don’t think you should call here any more.” She hung up without waiting for a reply, turning when she sensed someone else in the room behind her.

“Tara…um, that was…”

“I heard the whole thing, Will.”

“Uh…”

“It’s okay. I don’t think I could have handled it any better, and I agree with everything you said.” Tara grabbed her and held her close.

“Thanks. I…what smells like vanilla?”

“Oh – new shampoo. You like?”

“I like.”

There was a knock at the door, and Willow went to answer it. “Xander? Shouldn’t you be at work by now?”

“Normally, that would be the plan. But today I want to know what happened to my pajamas.” He held his shredded top up for Willow’s inspection.

“When did that happen?”

“While I was sleeping. Something attacked me in my dream – and when I woke up I saw that. And why do I have a feeling that if Anya hadn’t woken me when she did that my stomach would look like that now?”

“It probably would. Come on in, you guys. Tara and I were going to explain it to Anya this morning, but it’s easier now if we only have to do it once. Dawn’s got no school today, so she’s going to be joining us shortly too.”

As Willow spoke, Tara was knocking on Dawn’s bedroom door. “Dawnie? You ready for breakfast?”

The door swung open, and Dawn stood there with a mildly confused expression on her face.

“Dawn? Are you okay?”

“Yeah – just been talking to the bot.”

“Did you find out anything?”

“Just that she knows more than she should – we talked about things there’s no way Spike could have known when he had her programmed, and she knew them down to the last detail. It’s weird.”

“Where is she?”

“Went back to power down. She couldn’t seem to explain why she came and stayed in my bed, but apparently she’s going to rest now.”

“Willow's going to check her out later. And, if it’s any consolation, that’s probably not the weirdest conversation you’ll have today.”

“How’s that?”

“We found out what hurt you at school the other day – and we’re going to hit the books today and see what we can learn about how to fight it, if you want to join us.”

“Sure! Is somebody getting donuts? I thought any good Scooby research party involved donuts.”

Tara smiled. “Sure, we can get some donuts.”
[hr]
Once they were gathered in the kitchen, Willow opened her mouth to begin explaining – and was interrupted when the basement door crashed open.

“Spike? What are you doing up at this hour?”

“I got a lead on what took a chunk out of the little bit. A list of books that might be useful.”

“Thanks, Spike – the books will be a big help. But we already know what we’re dealing with.”

“What? Bloody hell, why doesn’t anybody tell me these things? If I’d known that I wouldn’t have bothered going to see that tosser last night!”

“Well, we d-didn’t know then. We found out in a dream…” Taking turns, Tara and Willow told them Nancy’s story, and everything she’d told them about the creature who’d once been a man named Fred Krueger. There was a long silence when they’d finished.

“Okay…not to sound like a big downer, here,” began Xander, “but how can we fight something like that? If it has ultimate power in dreams, how can we even hope to…”

“It’s been beaten before – I don’t even think that’s the question. The question is how we can keep everyone safe and stop it for good. And to do that, we’re going to have to figure out how it came to have this kind of power, and how we can take it away.”

“Research, then?”

“At the Magic Box. Spike’s list of books should be a good starting point, and I’m sure with a little digging we can find everything we’re going to need.”

Tara raised her hand. “And Dawn’s got an order in for doughnuts.”

“On it,” Xander said with a smile. “Like old times. Ahn, if you want to head down there with the others, I’ll meet you there.”

“I’ll be a few minutes longer,” interrupted Spike. “I’ll have to take the sewers – too long to walk, even with a blanket.”

“Or you could just stay home,” muttered Xander.

“Piss off,” Spike spat back. “Done more good than you lately, bricklayer.”

Xander made a move toward him, and Willow’s eyes flashed. “Stop it! As usual, we’ve got more important things to do than let you two snipe at each other. Xander, go and get the doughnuts. Spike, get down to the sewers.” They left in opposite directions, and Tara breathed a sigh of relief.

The rest of them grabbed their things and struck out for the Magic Box, none of them noticing the Buffybot following closely behind.

“Five, Six, grab your crucifix…”
[hr]
Next chapter's coming soon! Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Nightmare on Revello Drive (updated 3/25)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:55 am 

Wow this is making me scared to go to sleep.. hehe i really lovin this... very great job... :dance hehehe im all tired now.. urgh im going to bed.. but i love the whole freddy verse the scoobies..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:43 am 
10. Troll Hammer

wow! i'm loving this story more and more.... i don't know how they can defeat freddie, but our scoobies have arsenal up their sleeves that i'm sure freddie himself isn't ready for... i have a few thoughts though... is buffy's spirit may perhaps be inside the bot? she does act as if she cares about dawnie... will giles make an appearance in sunnydale finally and ask forgiveness for abandoning dawnie? update soon please... i'm loving this story!

i've seen the vid by the way, and it was nicely done! cool promo vid!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:07 am 
23. Volumey Text

That was a great update.

It seems they're forgetting Nancy's advice already. I mean I can understand them being upset with Giles but it seems they're letting that upset blind them to the fact that Giles is in danger. I just have this horrible feeling that the next time they here anything from England it'll be that Giles has been found dead.

Like Cecile I'm starting to think that Buffy's spirit has started to inhabit the Buffybot. I guess she was sleeping with Dawn in order to be able to wake her up is she started having nightmares.

Looking forward to reading more

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:53 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pray I like this story.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:32 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

You are so freaky. Honestly, freakin me out here. Well, also I have not the constitution for anything remotely scary, but eeeeee! Stop with all the random female people singing that nursery thing! I will wet myself, and yes that is a threat. Think of how much laundry you're giving poor little me to do.

Eh screw it. More scariness! Freak the crap out of me. I just want to see everyone turn out okay. I'm kinna psyched for like Willow/Tara kicking Freddy's ass though.

-beanie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:21 am 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day, Heather.

I did actually watch A New Nightmare the last time it was on TV (freaky as!) and I've seen one other one besides years ago, but I've only got the first three on DVD at the moment.

The Buffybot is certainly acting strangely. Could Buffy indeed be possessing her mechanical doppelganger from beyond the grave? Hmm, interesting.

Spike's travails with the information broker were fun to read, especially when it turned out that he bartered away the news of Buffy's death (even accidentally) for nothing. Can't blame him for getting stroppy over that.

Freddy's really starting to make his presence felt, attacking both Xander and Giles. I think I have to agree with Justin though, cutting Giles loose is a bad idea, even if it is somewhat warranted.

And the rhyme continues ....

Cheers,
Paul.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:59 pm 
5. Willowhand

This story is so cool. It's written beautifuly. It's kinda hard for me to get into a Freddy based story but so far you've done such a good job I have thourally enjoyed it. Thanks. I can't wait to read the next ch. :-D :clap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:46 pm 
3. Flaming O

wow, nightmare on elm street is my favorite scary movie ever. i haven't seen it since i was a kid because i don't want to lose the scared feeling i get just thinking about it. but reading this, i'm already getting nervous. it is really amazing. i can't wait to read more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:55 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hey, all! Back with an update - whoo-hoo!

Feedbacky:

cantbefredless - Sorry I'm making it hard to go to sleep, but I'm glad you're liking the story!

tarebear - The Buffybot question will be answered in this very chapter. As far as Giles...well, he does make a brief appearance...The scoobies do have an arsenal unknown to Freddy - but he is Freddy, after all. I'm glad you liked the vid, too - it was a fun project.

justin - You're completely right. Ignoring Nancy's advice may prove very costly - and as for the Buffybot, read on!

DiannesWillowTree - Glad you're liking, and thanks for reading!

beanie - I apologize for the laundry bills! :blush I'm happy you're liking the tale, though!

Darth Pacula - Yeah, New Nightmare was creepy. That was probably the darkest version of Freddy ever. The buffybot question's answered within - and no, cutting Giles loose was really not a good plan. Stay tuned!

Willowlover - Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying, and I hope the rest is as engaging for you.

Hers Always - Nightmare's one of my favorite scary movies too. You should definitely watch it again, though - it only gets better with time! Thanks for reading!

Chapter 4 - Seven, Eight...
Rating: R for violence and language

Fortunately, the library at the Magic Box held most of the tomes on Spike’s list, and Willow found suppliers who could have the rest there by the next day. By the time they’d gathered the books, Xander had arrived with the doughnuts (Dawn snatching a double-chocolate before he’d set the box down) and Spike had emerged from the basement.

“So we’re looking for what exactly?” Dawn asked through a mouthful of doughnut.

“Origins – where someone could get this kind of power this thing has – and how to stop it.”

Several hours into the research session, Dawn had grown bored. She’d wanted to be more involved with the gang, but this felt too much like homework. She looked toward the back of the shop and noticed the door to the training room was open. Excusing herself from the table, she went to check it out – and found the Buffybot, sitting alone on the couch and wearing an expression of sadness that seemed too lifelike.

The bot looked up. “Hello, Dawn.”

“Hi,” Dawn began as she eased the door closed behind her. “What are you doing here? I thought you were going to power down for a while.”

“Oh…I was going to but my power levels are fine.”

“So why did you come here?”

“To keep you safe.”

“I…Buffy, is that you?”

“Of course it’s me, I’m Buffy.”

“Don’t play games – is it you?”

The bot studied its feet for a moment. “Yes,” it whispered. “It’s me.”

“Oh my god…” Dawn ran to the bot and embraced it, and the bot held her tight in return. “How?”

“It’s sort of a limited time deal – the Powers gave me a free pass, but it doesn’t last long.”

“Buffy…I miss you so much, every single day. Why didn’t you tell me? How long have you been back?”

“A few days now. I’m sorry I didn’t say anything, Dawn, but it’s been breaking my heart to be this close to you again and knowing I can’t stay. I just wanted to be with you for a while and not think about it.”

“How long? How long will you be here?”

“Until this demon you’re facing is gone. That was the deal – I came to help you beat him.”

“But…how? Do you dream?”

The bot, whose expressions seemed more human by the second, smiled softly. “No. But there was a second condition to my deal – I brought you a gift, Dawn.”

“What…kind of gift?”

“A powerful one. But I only want you to take it if you want it – it’s not hugs and puppies.”

“What is it?”

Buffy released her embrace and stepped back to look in Dawn’s eyes. “Dawn…the world needs a slayer.”

Dawn crossed her arms defensively. “And it doesn’t need me – I know, I’ve had this dream,” she retorted angrily.

“What? Don’t be stupid – of course the world needs you! You’re such a precious gift, Dawnie…” Buffy stopped, tears filling the bot’s eyes. “What I was going to say, if you’d let me finish, is that the world needs a slayer and it can’t be me. Faith is where the line ends, and I don’t think she’ll be seeing the light of day anytime soon. So the gift I bring is this – I can alter the slayer line, direct it through you. But that would make you the slayer – you’ll have the strength to fight this demon, but you’ll have all the baggage that goes with being a slayer; early death not the least of it. I don’t want to sentence you to this life, Dawn – the Powers promise me they’ve got a contingency plan – and if you don’t want to or can’t do this, I’ll understand and I’ll love you just the same.”

“I…”

“Don’t say the first thing that comes into your head, Dawn. Think about it for a minute.”

“I already have. I’ll do it. I always looked up to you, Buffy, even if you never knew…”

“I knew…”

“And I’d be proud to follow in your footsteps.”

Buffy wiped her eyes. “Mom figured you’d say something like that.”

“Mommy?”

“She’s where I was, Dawn. I know Willow worries that I’m in some bad place, but I’m in heaven – there’s no need for anyone to rescue me. Mom wanted me to tell you that you make her proud every day, and that she loves you with all her heart.”

Dawn’s face contorted for a moment as she bravely fought the urge to cry, but in the end she couldn’t hold on any longer and her features crumpled as she began to sob. Buffy/bot took her in a light embrace and led her to the couch,where she cried silently for some time before regaining control of herself.

“Will you tell her…when you go back, I mean…how much I love her? And how badly I miss her?”

“Of course. But she knows, Dawn. You can see a lot from heaven.”

“Not everything, I hope…”

“Well, we do turn away occasionally,” Buffy grinned.

“Okay…how do you make me the slayer?”

“Pretty simple, really. Are you ready?”

Dawn nodded, and Buffy laid her hands on her head. She closed her eyes, and suddenly Dawn’s body jumped like a current had been passed through it. As she lifted her hands, Dawn looked up at her.

“Was that it?”

“What were you expecting? Fireworks, a thunderbolt from heaven? You’re such a drama queen.”

“You’re so full of it! If anyone’s a drama queen…who told mom when I was three that I beat you up?”

“You did – you hit me with that big sponge mallet!”

“How did such a wuss ever get to be the slayer, anyway?”

“Wuss? Oh, you’re so dead.”

They shared a grin with the silly humor that only siblings could really understand.

“Wait a minute,” thought Dawn. “Does this mean I have to like, patrol and research and be responsible?”

“’Fraid so.”

“Darn. Can I give this back?”

“’Fraid not. Dawn – I’m proud of you. Knowing what you’re going to face, that you’d take this on willingly…you’re a special girl, I just hope you know that.”

“Of course I do…that’s why I was Mom’s favorite!”

“What? You little…” Buffy laughed.

“Buffy – are we going to tell everyone you’re back?”

“I don’t think so – it might be a distraction, and they don’t need that. And I think it might be better if you didn’t tell anyone you’re the slayer, at least for now. Secret weapon and all.”

“Got it. Secret agent slayer, that’s me.”

“Dawn…I don’t know how much time I’ll have to say goodbye when this is all over-“

“Buffy, please-“

“Let me finish. I don’t know how much time I’ll have, and there’s things I need to say – things I didn’t have a chance to say before I left, and things you need to hear. I love you, Dawn. More than life. You’re more than my sister, you’re my best friend and my legacy. Always remember I’m watching, and always remember I’m proud of you. Listen to Willow and Tara – they’re the truest souls I’ve ever met, and they’ll never steer you wrong. Let them help you with the burden you’re going to have to carry – I never would have made it without my friends, and you won’t either. Most importantly, know that just because you’re the slayer doesn’t mean you have to shut yourself off – love your friends, and always be open to love from whatever direction it may come.”

“I promise,” Dawn said tearfully. “And in case we don’t get the chance later – I love you too, Buffy. I don’t know what it means that I was the key, but you never treated me like anything but your sister, and I never forgot. You were everything a big sister could be, and after Mom was gone you were my whole world, and I can’t ever tell you what a difference you made in my life – everything you taught me and showed me about how to live in this world…I wouldn’t be half of who I am without you. I guess if there’s one way to sum up everything I need to say, it’s…thank you. Thank you for my life.”

They embraced again until they were interrupted by Xander. “Dawnie? What’s the bot doing here?”

“Just checking up on me. She’s headed home right away. Right, Buffy?”

“Right!” the bot exclaimed brightly, and turned to leave – but not before tipping a wink at Dawn.

“What’s up, Xander?”

“Willow’s ready for the briefing – we’ve got everything we can from the books. She figured you should be there.”

“Okay – after you.” She followed him out the door and closed it behind her – accidentally taking it off its hinges with the force. “Crap,” she muttered, easing it into place and hoping it’d stay. She headed to the table and grabbed a seat and another doughnut.
[hr]
“So what do we know?”

“Well,” Willow replied, “quite a bit. The books on Spike’s list have given us a much better idea what we’re facing.”

Tara picked up. “There are demons, it seems, that can make people immortal in the dream world if they’ll accept becoming a demon in return. This F-Freddy, when he was burning to death, accepted their offer. He became a gatekeeper, which is the part of the legend about the demons that Anya remembered.”

Spike rubbed his neck. “Okay, he’s a gatekeeper. What bloody gate is he keeping?”

“According to the legend,” Willow explained, “there are two gates in the dream world. Behind one of the gates lies every good dream – behind the other lies every nightmare. Three guesses which one he’s guarding.”

“Where’s the other gatekeeper?” Dawn interjected. “If there’s one, shouldn’t there be another one?”

“Good question,” Tara smiled. “There are references to another gatekeeper, but he she or it seems to be missing in action. One of the more recent books – the diary of a powerful psychic – mentions the gatekeeper’s disappearance, but doesn’t explain it.”

“Brilliant. Bloody brilliant. So where does that leave us? Any strengths, weaknesses, anything we can actually use?”

Willow frowned. “Vague references, mostly. Apparently getting him to look into a mirror will kill him, but I’m not sure if I trust the legends – burying him in consecrated ground was supposed to kill him too, but Nancy’s father tried that and Freddy came back just the same.”

“So…in terms of a plan, then?”

“We fight him, I guess.”

“A whole day of research, and that’s what we’ve come up with?” Xander asked. “I’m kind of ashamed.”

“Well, it’s not a total loss,” Tara insisted. “We know where he gets his power from, we just need to figure out how to use that against him. Now, it’s starting to get late, so I think we should head home. Spike, you and Willow and I should make a quick sweep before we turn in. We’ll try and go to sleep about 11 – Xander and Anya, you guys remember to try and fall asleep about that time, too, so I can pull you in.”

“I’ll come patrolling too.” Dawn suggested.

“What? No, sweetie – Xander and Anya will be staying with you.”

“She’s right, bit. We’re not putting you in that kind of danger – what would Buffy say about that?”

It was a close race between her brain and her mouth, but Dawn managed to bite her tongue before she spilled her secret.
[hr]
“I’ll see you in there, Will,” Tara whispered as they climbed into bed after an uneventful patrol.

“You’re sure you can bring us all in?”

“I’m sure.” She gave Willow a reassuring kiss.

In short moments, they were both soundly asleep and seated on the beach next to Nancy. Tara concentrated for a long moment, and they were joined by Spike, Xander, Anya and Dawn. Spike cried out and instinctively tried to cover himself from the sun before realizing he wasn’t on fire. He slowly let his coat down and looked around appreciatively.

“Been a long while since I stood on a sunny beach.”

“Don’t get too used to it – we’re not here to sightsee.”

“Will you shut up, you great git? I know why we’re here.”

“These are your friends?” Nancy asked with an amused expression.

“Don’t mind them,” Willow muttered. “They’re always like this. Now, let me tell you what we found out today.” She laid out everything they knew about Freddy, and Nancy frowned.

“Interesting…but I don’t know what we can do with that. Do you have any ideas?”

“Not really.” Willow was about to go on, but the sky above them suddenly darkened. “What…”

Nancy shot to her feet with a terrified expression. “He’s here.”

“Look!” cried Anya. She pointed down the beach, where a figure was approaching slowly. As he came closer, and his finger blades shone in the sun, all doubt disappeared. This was Freddy. He looked over the group disdainfully.

“Little piggies, all in a row.” His gaze reached Nancy. “And you. Didn’t I already gut you, bitch?”

Nancy stared, unable to reply.

“Yes, I’m sure I gutted you.” He looked at Tara. “You’re the one who can bring them in, right? I can smell it on you. It’s too bad you didn’t bring your other friend.”

“W-What other friend?”

“The English guy, with the glasses. He was a screamer, that guy.” He held up a severed head and spoke in a horrible British accent. “Dear Lord, that hurts.” Freddy screamed laughter.

“Giles? Oh, god no….”

“Well, never fear. You’ll be joining him soon enough. Which of you piggies wants to go first?” He stepped toward Dawn, and Spike rushed him. Freddy batted him aside like a child’s toy. Nancy summoned an axe from the dream world and charged toward Freddy, swinging the weapon in a wide arc above her head. It whistled down toward Freddy’s burned face – and rebounded when it hit a shimmering blue field that appeared around him. They stared at each other wide-eyed…and he began to laugh.

“Congratulations, bitch. I guess you’ve been promoted.”

“What?”

“Gatekeepers can’t hurt each other. God knows I tried with the stuck-up bastard who had the job before you. I guess you’re out of this fight.”

Nancy stared helplessly at Tara.

“Seven, Eight, gonna stay up late…”

[hr]
Thus endeth the chapter. More to come soon, and thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Nightmare on Revello Drive (updated 4/20)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:12 am 
23. Volumey Text

Dibs! :party

ETA:

That was a great update.

So Buffy has possessed the Buffybot. The fact that she doesn't drean will be useful since it means Freddy can't hurt her. Though it does limit her ability to help them to just being able to watch them and wake them up if she notices they're in trouble.

When Tara mentioned there being two gate keeper I wondered if Nancy was the other one. The fact she can't fight Freddy is a nuacance, but being a GK may mean she's able to give them insights into how to fight one.

Poor Giles. So Freddy went for him first. So the question is, is he dead or just badly hurt?

Looking forward to more

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm 
5. Willowhand

Good update. Buffy possesing the Buffy Bot was a little wierd. I can't wait to see what happens to the everybody. Please don't kill Spike or Xander (or Tara and Willow, but i thought that was a given).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:39 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day, Heather.

:hmm So Buffy is possessing the Buffybot, albeit for a limited time only, and now Dawn is the Slayer? I wonder how much help that will actually be in the dream world. Especially since Dawn hasn't really been trained. Sure, she has the physical prowess now, and the instincts that come with it, but she needs proper training too.

Quote:
“Was that it?”

“What were you expecting? Fireworks, a thunderbolt from heaven? You’re such a drama queen.”

:lol True sibling behavior.

No! Not Giles! I hope Freddie's just faking them out, but I doubt it.

So Nancy can't hurt Freddie any more, huh? That doesn't preclude the others from chopping the SOB into kindling, does it?

Nice update, mate.

Cheers,
Paul.