The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The In- Between (complete)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:03 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 9
I can't believe I am writing this when I need to be working on Wilderness, but what the hell, I got inspired by Laragh's Halloween/ Samhain tale. (Happy Samhain btw!!!)

Obviously, I am a day late and have not posted all of the story just yet because I am not done- and I apparently don't know how to write short fics :P
I do plan to finish this tonight (if not it might have to wait until after the election). Enough explanation of myself!! I hope you enjoy!

The In-Between

Rating: right now PG
I do not own these characters, the story though, is mine.
Notes: This was written pretty quickly and with no beta, so hopefully it turns out somewhat ok. It has nothing to with Wilderness and is set in an indefinite time in the Buffyverse. Samhain is pronounced "Suh-win" or "Sow-en"

CH 1

Tara smiled shyly as the woman before her, her face showing an uncertain mixture of awe and incredulity, stood, placed twenty dollars on the table and walked away in a daze. Tara was reshuffling her tarot cards, knocking them a few times against the wood table when she felt a mushy kiss pressed against her cheek.

“You’re amazing, baby,” Willow gushed taking a seat in the chair across from Tara, “You should, like, do this full time, it could be your gig!” Willow beamed, in love with her girl and pleased at getting to use the word ‘gig’.

Tara blushed slightly but she smiled widely, “Oh, I-I’m just ok, kinda rusty, but it was fun.”

“Love, that woman looked like she’d seen a ghost, like in an “I can’t believe what just happened my mind is blown kind of way. You’re a mind blower, baby.”

Blue eyes dipped their gaze before slowly tracing Willow’s face, the darkening blue coy under hooded lids, “Mmmn, one can hope.”

Willow was about to confirm emphatically that no hope was needed when so much talent was at play when Xander’s voice sounded loudly over the din of customers crowding the store, gathering their last minute décor and magical supplies for Halloween night.

“Mugwort! Man with mugwort coming through, excuse me,” he called, maneuvering through Magic Box, swirling this way and that to keep his makeshift pre-Halloween costume cape from getting caught on his accompanying sword. It wasn’t working. Tara heard a low snicker next to her and turned her gaze to see Willow hiding a smirk behind her raised hand, trying to keep a straight face as Xander caught and tore a piece of fabric on the edge of a table display. Tara couldn’t help but giggle as well and Xander valiantly pushed towards Anya’s voice insisting he hurry before sales were lost.

More seriously, Tara remarked, “Wow, everyone is into the mugwort tonight.”

“Yeah I think they used it on Charmed the other night.”

Tara good naturedly rolled her eyes, accepting her girlfriend’s guilty pleasure, “Well I just hope people know what they are doing. Especially if they’re going to be using it tomorrow night.”

“What do you mean?” Willow knew the basic properties and uses of mugwort: protection, divination, astral travel, sleep aid, but nothing that should cause alarm.

“It’s Halloween. Samhain.”

“And the veil between the worlds is thinner,” Willow added, working out what Tara was telling her before her entire face lit up. She leaped out of her chair, crossing the room toward where Xander and Anya were unloading pre-measured packets of the herb. Bemusedly, Tara watched Willow pick out two packets and instead of placing them on the ‘friends and family hold shelf’ Anya detested but Giles insisted on, Willow paid for them straight away.

Willow placed the herbs in her bag before bouncing back over to Tara with a childlike glee and Tara couldn’t help but smile at her girlfriend’s excitement.

Two hours later, Anya sluggishly flipped the store’s sign from open to closed. Tara worked through the money she’d earned reading cards that night, splitting out 80% of the proceeds to Anya as had been decided. Tara would have done it for free but Anya insisted that while she was a savvy business owner, she wasn’t into indentured servitude. She had grown.

The rest of the crew, Willow, Giles, Dawn, Buffy and Xander, helped tidy and clean and everyone was ready to be done with the day. They waited on the front sidewalk as Anya locked up.

“So Will, Tara, you two doing the Halloween Bronze experience with us tomorrow night?” Buffy asked, throwing her arm around Dawn’s shoulder.

“Yeah, there’s a costume contest and I want you to see me soundly beat out Buffy for first place,” Dawn smirked.

“Oh, I will make you remember those words,” Buffy retorted, hip checking her sister playfully.

“Ah, naïve Summers’ sisters,” Xander piped in, “you have yet to see me and Anya’s rendition of Antony and Cleopatra” Willow gave him knowing look making him crumble and confess, “Ok I don’t know who Antony is, but Cleopatra is smokin’”

From the sidelines, Giles scoffed, “Do they not teach you anything in American high schools?"

“Hey I know who Antony is!” Willow protested hotly. Dawn joining in the indignation.

“Me too!”

“Same.” Tara offered, more softly than the others.

“I even know who he is,” Buffy chimed in, adding quietly, “I think.”

All eyes turned to Xander who shrugged casually, “What? I was sleeping in class that day.”

Anya joined them, slipping her arm under Xander’s as the group started walking, “What are we talking about?”

“Willow and Tara joining us at the Bronze tomorrow night, you sure you won’t come Giles?”

“Quite sure, thank you Dawn.”

“So,” Buffy picked up the conversation, turning the attention back on Willow and Tara, “you two in?”

“Um, we- we could go, but-” Tara began.

“It’s Samhain,” Willow continued. Seeing two looks of confusion, coming from Xander and Buffy, she explained, “it’s like Witchy New Years but also, Halloween…” Willow trailed off, frowning at her lack of clear explanation.

“Ok, so do your Sewing thing and meet us after,” Buffy persisted, ignoring Giles’ sigh of chagrin at her latest malaprop. Giles often wondered if Buffy did it on purpose to annoy him.
Willow looked to Tara, eyebrows raised in a hopeful question.

“We’ll be there,” Tara smiled and gave her girlfriend’s hand a tender squeeze, “Just not until later.”

Last edited by shirrey on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:09 am, edited 23 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The In- Between
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:57 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

It's not finished, but here's the next part. all notes from above reply.

Ch 2

The night held a damp chill and the earthy scent of burning cedar. Dusk was waxing and Tara and Willow were on the rooftop of Dormer Hall placing the last few items for their ritual. Willow had taped a sign that read ‘Out of Service’ on the door that led to the rooftop stairs and although Tara felt a little guilty, she couldn’t help but be grateful for the added assurance of their privacy. They'd laid a blanket down and sat facing each other next to a small fire pit they had created, herbs set to the side ready for use, and candles either already lit or waiting for their turn in the ceremony.

They shut their eyes. Willow was fidgety with an excitement she tried to calm when Tara grasped her hand a little firmer, silently asking her to focus. With a few breaths, Willow eased and they worked together grounding and centering themselves, then protecting the circle.

They spent time honoring those who had passed both familiar and unknown, until it was time to try communing. Tara opened her eyes, looking into a waiting green gaze. She felt a flush rise from her chest, flames fanning up her neck and spreading over her cheeks. The firelight played across Willow’s profile, highlighting copper flecked tresses, and dancing with enchantment in Willow’s right eye. Her left eye was cast in a soft shadow that darkened the green into almost black. Spellbound, Tara raised her hand and traced the line that separated light from shadow. She watched Willow’s eyes close slowly, her lips part slightly as she began at her forehead, softly trailing down her nose, slowing as she caressed the path across Willow’s lip, stopping
when Willow kissed a fingertip. Willow sat in silence, her features softened in bliss as Tara’s finger dropped off her chin and moved to cup and caress Willow’s left cheek, fingers muted in the dark. Willow sighed as she felt Tara’s lips against hers, brushing together lightly before Tara sat back and watched until Willow opened her eyes again.

They smiled at each other, bashful from the intensity of the moment. Tara spoke in an almost whisper, “You ready?”

Willow nodded and brought a thermos between them, speaking as she opened the lid, letting hot steam rise between them, “I made us some tea.”

“Mugwort?” Tara asked already knowing the answer. Willow nodded her confirmation with an excited grin. Tara smiled softly but her eyebrows knit, “Baby, I know you’re excited to try this, but we promised to be at the Bronze in an hour, I’m not sure if we have the time to do it properly.”

“I’ll just sip a little,” Willow promised, “and if you don’t want to, that’s ok, you can be my anchor. I know you’ll bring me back.”

Tara studied the steam still pouring from the hot mugwort tea, she bit her lip, thinking, then glanced at Willow. She had wanted to use this time to commune with the dead, to commune with her mother. It was the first year she’d been brave enough to try, because with Willow by her side, she knew she could handle the emotions that were sure to surface. Willow's eyes sparkled with the hopeful excitement of learning something new and Tara decided she could do both. When she nodded, Willow kissed her again, more quickly this time, before pouring some of the tea into the thermos’ combination lid and cup.

“Darling?”

“Yes love?” Willow took a few sips of the mugwort tea.

“I um, I was going to try and connect with my m-mom,” Tara shared, her tone indicating there was more to come. Willow placed the cup on the ground.

“Should I have not?” She waved toward the tea.

“Oh, no, I think it will be fine, I just want some time afterward, you know? You can head to the Bronze and I’ll meet you there later.”

“Baby, I can wait with you, unless it’s something you want to do on your own.”

“No-no, it’s fine,” and Tara realized it was, she could do this and meet up with Willow and the rest of her friends later, they’d be there if she needed them, “I mean, it might be nice to have some time alone with her, but I will most definitely be needing some Willow hugs afterward.”

“I can even offer you kisses.”

Tara smiled and took Willow’s hands in hers. The sun had set, lending its light to a full blue moon. Both women shuddered as they slipped toward the liminal space. Willow, aided by the herbs ventured fully inside; Tara remained just on the edge, grounding them both to this plane.

The air grew charged, it was thick and dense like fog, heavy yet potent. Tara felt Willow move further, her keen mind wanting to absorb the experience of this place. Tara's head felt clouded and she fought to keep them anchored as she realized with horror that Willow, caught in a dazed wonder, drugged and heightened, was letting go. Tara grasped frantically, trying to hold on, her soul screaming out at Willow to come back. She felt Willow’s fingertips on her own in their world and it forged their connection again, Tara nearly sobbed with relief.

Several minutes were spent in this state before a crack sounded, like stifled thunder, breaking the night sky. Tara felt two things at the same time, both filling her with dread: a malevolent chill that shivered her spine and Willow’s fingers slipping from her grasp.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The space was ethereal, charged and thick with magick. Willow smiled when she stepped into it, into the liminal. Warmed and enhanced by the mugwort tea, she wanted to feel weightless, to roam freely in her ethereal form, moving further and further into this new realm. A sharp tug startled her and Willow realized how careless he had been, how close she’d come to letting go of her anchor, letting go of her Tara.

Unclear of where the threshold was anymore, she glanced around for clues. Spirits passed by in all directions, some mournful, others eager, still others content. Willow thought the latter must have been the ones who found reunion. As she wandered, this time sure to remain connected to Tara, she thought of those she’d lost, wondering if they would be here, if she could find them. Ms. Calendar, Kevin from AV Club, Principal Flutie, Jessie. And then Willow heard a voice, as if summoned.

“Willow? Willow Rosenberg?”

Willow turned slowly, toward the voice. She saw his face and tears pooled in her eyes, “Jessie?”

“Wow, look at you,” Jessie leered dramatically, he always found a way to be charming and goofy when other guys would be creepy, probably because he didn’t pretend it was anything more than an act, covering real emotions, “I always thought you were cute, but damn, Will, you grew up to be a hottie.”

Willow blushed, unsure what else to do. She looked at him, missing him more now that he was standing before her than she had in years, “Hi Jessie.”

“I’d hug you but we shouldn’t really touch,” Jesse smiled fondly at his old friend.

“Why not?”

“I only heard this through the grapevine, but I guess when us dead folk touch the living, it can sap some of their life force,” Willow’s heart squeezed when she heard Jesse refer to himself at ‘dead folk’. He continued, charming some of the sorrow away with a wink, “I like you too much for that.”

They spoke for several minutes, each asking about the other’s existence. Jesse had asked how she was visiting him there and Willow was about to rock his world with the news that she was being anchored by her girlfriend. She blushed again, thinking of the wonderful woman whose strength and love tethered her to the living world when an icy wind swept around them. Jesse stiffened in alarm, his eyes widening in fear.

“Will, the veil is thickening, you need to get out of here. Now.”

Willow followed his gaze to find her world, she'd gone in farther than she thought. Willow ran, calling words of farewell and love to her lost friend. Just outside the threshold, she saw Tara frown and Willow pushed her legs harder, faster, knowing something was wrong. The veil was thickening too fast, Tara’s image fading behind dense gray until Willow could see only blue as her love opened her eyes in terror. The anchor was severed.

Last edited by shirrey on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:18 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Dibs! :whip
Great story so far! You ended on quite a cliffhanger, but I'm comforted by your announcement that you plan to finish the story this week.

Willow's reunion with Jesse was a pleasant surprise. I always regretted that he was killed in the pilot.

Quote:
Jesse stiffened in alarm, his eyes widening in fear.

“Will, the veil is thickening, you need to get out of here. Now.”

Willow followed his gaze to find her world, she'd gone in farther than she thought and she began to run calling words of farewell and love to her lost friend. Just outside the threshold, she saw Tara frown and Willow pushed her legs harder, faster, knowing something was wrong. The veil was thickening too fast, Tara’s image fading behind dense gray until Willow could see only blue as her love opened her eyes in terror. The anchor was severed.

I'm wondering what the "worst case-scenario" could be here, could Willow's soul be trapped in the liminal space forever and der body die in the mortal world? If so I'm surprised that Tara, who is normally really cautious with the use of magic, agreed to do this ritual with Willow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:27 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
So happy to have inspired this and I'm very intrigued as to where this spooky tale may go! I hope Willow gets to meet Tara's Mom at some point (and Tara too!)

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:09 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 2
Cool, thanks for writing. I am interested in what is going to happen too. It is the Kitten Board, so dead/lost forever Willow, right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:37 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Quick replies because I need to go to sleep.

WR:thanks! and this one is a bit of a cliffhanger as well- I was bummed about Jesse too. As for Tara, hopefully all your questions will answered in the next few updates.

Laragh: Thanks so much!

TaW4ever: I fully intend to adhere to Kitten Board rules - plus I want our girls happy, safe, and together always. Thanks for your feedback!

Notes: as I wrote in the first post (which has some seriously bad grammar-eek!) I am writing this fast, so hopefully it all makes sense.

CH 3

“TARA!!”

In the gray world, a collective wail sounded and swallowed Willow’s voice.

The dead had been cheated when the veil closed prematurely and so abruptly. They mourned their lost chance to see loved ones, they mourned the dead who were trapped on the other side. It would be half a year until the veil opened again.

Willow was still running toward an unseen opening, pleading for the threshold to appear but it wasn’t there. There was no gate, no door, nothing to even indicate where boundaries met. The mist was thick around her.

Willow felt directionless, but she could feel Tara. The anchor was severed, but the tether of their soul connection remained true. She knew Tara was searching for her but had no sense of which way to turn.Dropping into a crossed legged seat, Willow valiantly tried to focus and calm. She called upon Aradia.

“Willow!” It was Jesse, he was sweet to come after her, Willow thought, but she couldn’t answer, needing to concentrate. Her skin began to prickle with energy but it was weak, muddled. The small conjured light flickered then faded in her palm. Willow called out again, her desperation building. Nothing. Nothing more would come. Despondent eyes became concerned when she raised them to her old friend and watched him flinch violently. He was backing away slowly.

“What are you doing?” Willow had never heard Jesse sound so frightened, but there was something else there, a craving he was trying to make sense of, “what are you?”

“Jesse, it’s ok. I’m a witch. I need to get back through,” Willow was about to explain further when she saw color drain from Jesse’s already dead-gray face, but he was looking past her now, behind and around her. Her pallor matched his. Then, a decision made, Jesse grew taller, resolve tightening his features. He marched up to her.

“You have to get out of here, Will,” Jesse said through gritted teeth, protectively watching the space surrounding them.

“That’s what I was trying to do!” Willow protested, and then she saw the others, people who had passed on, focused on her. Some were curious, others were hungry.

Willow felt her knees start to buckle.

Ch 4

Panic was threatening to take over. Tara sat, trembling, tears soaking her skin. The chill of the night felt like nothing. Taking long, deep, breaths, Tara tried to stay grounded. Her connection to Willow was waning and she didn’t know how to reach her. Aradia’s light couldn’t even break through the veil.

She needed to find Buffy and the others, but she couldn’t, wouldn’t leave her spot, afraid that moving out of the circle would make reconnecting that much harder. Determined, she laid her palms flat on the rooftop, it wasn’t the ground but it was stone, everything was connected.

Footsteps running up the stairwell distracted her, but she resisted, refocused. Then, familiar voices offered some relief.

Help.

It was a plea and a declaration. Tara wasn’t even sure if she’d said it aloud.

“Tara!” Buffy called, followed quickly by Dawn who unlike her sister was breathing heavily from the dash up the stairs .“Thank god we found you! Where’s Will?”

Tara remained seated but as she turned to look at Buffy, she felt her grounding waver slightly. Cold rushed through Buffy’s veins upon seeing Tara’s expression. Tara was desperate, “The veil closed. Willow’s on the other side. She’s fading.”

“What do you mean she’s fading, Tara? What the hell happened!?” Xander demanded, clearly having overheard as he emerged onto the rooftop. Tara flinched at his anger, but she wouldn’t crumble, she couldn’t.

“W-Willow was journeying, I was her anchor. S-something happened. I don’t know what, it shouldn’t have. I-I had her,” a hiccup sounded in Tara’s chest and Buffy could see she was starting to fall apart.

Fists tightened and shaking, in anger born of fear, Xander stepped toward Tara, “What do you mean had her?” Buffy stepped in front of him, placing a firm hand on his chest.

“Back off Xander, go call Giles,” Buffy turned and knelt next to Tara, careful not to break the circle, “What do you need?”

Through the distortion of tears, Tara saw Xander run down the stairs and Dawn move into his space, scared but alert.

“G-Giles could be a great help. I need to open the veil. It wasn’t supposed to thicken until daylight. Maybe Anya!” Tara said, her thoughts clearly racing in their search for answers, “If she could anchor me I could go in.”

“Won’t you get stuck too?” Dawn asked, nervously glancing behind her, waiting for Xander’s return.

“Tara, what happens if you get stuck?”

“I d-don’t know, but, Buffy, I have to get her back.”

“Ok, let’s get Giles and Anya here. Dawn,” Buffy directed, “Go tell Xander we need books or supplies or whatever on opening the veil. Anya went by the shop to see if you were there. Dawn! Have Xander call Anya too.” Dawn nodded from the doorway then disappeared down the stairs. “We’ll get her back Tara.”

Tara nodded, determined. One way or another, she wouldn’t leave Willow in there alone.

Last edited by shirrey on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (11/4/2020)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:34 am 

Quote:
The dead had been cheated when the veil closed prematurely and so abruptly. They mourned their lost chance to see loved ones, they mourned the dead who were trapped on the other side. It would be half a year until the veil opened again.

So if they don't manage to open the veil again that night, the living side will be swarmed with "homeless" ghosts? Not good!
Quote:
Some were curious, others were hungry.

The hungry part sounds alarming - will they try to "feed" of Willow's living energy by touching her?

Quote:
“W-Willow was journeying, I was her anchor. S-something happened. I don’t know what, it shouldn’t have.

Quote:
I need to open the veil. It wasn’t supposed to thicken until daylight.

So the question now is what caused the veil to close prematurely - some big bad, f.e. Glory (if the story takes place before she was defeated)?

I've been wondering why Buffy, Xander, Dawn and Anya searched for Willow and Tara, obviously worried about their wellbeing. They knew that both planned to come to the Bronze later in the evening. Did more time pass in the "real world" than on the other side and it's already late in the night?

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (11/4/2020)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:38 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wills_redemption: all good questions which will all (hopefully) be answered! Thanks for your feedback!

CH 5

It was more than fear, Willow could feel her energy depleting, leaving her weak.

Jesse had corralled her into a copse of trees moving in a defensive circle around her, pushing back the dead who pursued them; lifeless eyes fixed on Willow.

“What do they want?” Willow gasped, her back pressed against a giant oak, aimlessly wondering how the tree was still alive here.

“Your energy. Will,” Jesse deflected another reaching arm, so far no one had touched Willow, but he wasn’t going to be able to keep them off alone. More had arrived, following the small crowd and now at least two dozen dead surrounded them, pushing toward Willow.

Jesse felt it too, the pull, it was intoxicating; more than just life force. Jesse had no idea how he knew, but Willow’s energy radiated something beyond, something brighter. As much as he desired it, knowing how easily he could take Willow’s hand into his own or just brush her arm, he wouldn’t do that to do her. Touching her would be taking something against her will and almost as bad, it would leave Willow with no protection.

A realization fueled his resolve, he was tempted but he wasn’t compelled. The dead that were coming for Willow were doing so by choice. Angry, he lashed out, causing several of the dead to stumble back. But his persistence wasn’t enough, there were too many.

Behind him sounded a gasp, lengthy and carnal. Twisting toward the sound, Jesse saw hands on Willow. Her arms, her legs, her back, her head. The memory of nausea rose in his gut. Several more emerged forward grasping, brushing, pressing into Willow’s skin. He flew at them, managing to block a greedy hand.

In the movement, his arm grazed Willow and he felt it. Willow’s energy was effervescent, radiant. He felt swept up in a beauty that wasn’t his and he realized his fears were unnecessary. He didn’t want to take her energy, because it was Willow, her essence, and it was beautiful. He wanted to fight for it to remain hers.

He pushed the group away again before turning back to Willow, crying out as he watched her sink to the ground.

“Willow!”

Willow’s voice was faint, almost monotone, “I feel like I’m being drained, I’m so weak.” She felt her body drop into fallen leaves that cushioned the great tree. Jesse thought about the terror he’d felt the night he was turned, this was worse. This was Willow. Desperation arose as her body sagged, her eyelids drooping with fatigue.

The wind picked up, unnaturally fast even for the Otherworld. The predators groaned, clutching where their hearts no longer beat before they were flung back from the copse in a flurry of leaves, twigs, and bits of rocks. Jesse hovered over Willow, waiting to be swept in the maelstrom. It didn’t come. They were in the eye of a hurricane, safe but trapped. Jesse sat between Willow and the wind, acting as a buffer against any debris.

Then, in the middle of the chaos, a woman emerged, her long braid blowing with the force. She remained undeterred as she approached the pair.

“You need to lean her against the tree,” the woman spoke, soft but steady.

“I won't hurt her,” Jesse defended, unwilling to leave his friend and half afraid, half relieved by this woman who seemed to be saving them.

Blue-gray eyes danced with a tempered patience that only the wise knew.

“Oh I can see that,” the woman soothed, ”You’ve taken good care, but the tree will help.”

"No, we can't touch her," Jesse explained. Willow remained silent, her mind sluggishly trying to make a plan. She had to get out, she had to get home. Willow heard the woman speak, alto tones permeating her thoughts.

"It will be only for a moment, she needs the tree's energy."

Unsure of what else to do and trusting this woman despite himself, Jesse complied.

“Who are you?”

“My name is Kathryn. I’m a witch.”

Willow raised her weary head toward the woman, startled by the familiar lilt in her voice and the echo of features she knew perfectly.

In the barest whisper, Willow repeated the woman’s name before her eyes fell closed and she lost consciousness.

Last edited by shirrey on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (11/10/2020)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:39 am 

Quote:
Jesse thought about the terror he’d felt the night he was turned, this was worse. This was Willow. Desperation arose as her body sagged, her eyelids drooping with fatigue.

I'm glad that Jesse obviously was as close to Willow as a friend as Xander so even in death he is fiercely protective for her. Those emotions also seem to make him more like a living person than the almost zombie like deads chasing them.

Quote:
Jesse cradled Willow’s head in his lap, holding her safe against any debris.

Shouldn't that "physical" contact drain Willow as well? Or do the "clothes" the spirits / souls of the dead are "wearing" on the other side do serve as a barrier?

Quote:
Unsure of what else to do and trusting this woman despite himself, Jesse complied, “Who are you?”

“My name is Kathryn. I’m a witch.”

Willow raised her weary head toward the woman, startled by the familiar lilt in her voice and the echo of features she knew perfectly.

In the barest whisper, Willow repeated the woman’s name before her eyes fell closed and she lost consciousness.

Yay that the soul of Tara's mom came to Willow's rescue! :applause

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:48 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh this is exciting! I always love to see some of Tara's mom in a fic, however it comes about :D Plus I feel better about Willow being okay!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:49 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Quote:
Shouldn't that "physical" contact drain Willow as well? Or do the "clothes" the spirits / souls of the dead are "wearing" on the other side do serve as a barrier?

:blush yes, yes it should. Lol, that was a total oops, Thanks for catching it! I went back and edited so hopefully it will make more sense - although I appreciate the clothing defense! Thanks for trying to make my faux pas work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:46 pm 
3. Flaming O

SHIRREY: Yes, Yes and again, I say Yes! Wonderful start. Can't wait to read further,.........well I Can wait,......just don't Want to!!
Blessings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:26 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wills-redemption:

Quote:
I'm glad that Jesse obviously was as close to Willow as a friend as Xander so even in death he is fiercely protective for her. Those emotions also seem to make him more like a living person than the almost zombie like deads chasing them
Their friendship is definitely helping both of them

Quote:
Yay that the soul of Tara's mom came to Willow's rescue! :applause
:) Thanks for feedbacking!!

Laragh
Quote:
I always love to see some of Tara's mom in a fic, however it comes about :D Plus I feel better about Willow being okay!
I love seeing Tara's mom too, we hear so little about her in the show but Tara's love for her and their bond is so apparent. Thanks for your comment!

Mother D
Quote:
Yes, Yes and again, I say Yes! Wonderful start. Can't wait to read further,.........well I Can wait,......just don't Want to!
Thanks so much! I hope to finish this much sooner than later.

Notes: I had every intention of this being like a week long write at most- dang real life taking up my time and brain space! I hope you enjoy!!

The In- Between

Ch 6

On the rooftop, moonlight escaped from behind a stubborn cloud, filtering soft light over the tableau of three women. Shadows lay in a wash across Tara, her features static in concentration. Dawn sat nearby, watching, fidgeting fingers revealed in the light. And Buffy paced, seeming a force that was pulling the moon’s rays in a forever trail behind her.

Buffy clutched Tara’s cordless phone, startling when it rang. She shook her head at her reaction Gimme a vampire, and I’m all zen, but a ringing phone makes me all wiggy.

Xander had left twenty minutes ago having not been able to reach either Anya or Giles, he drove toward the Magic Box hoping to catch them en route. There was no thought of staying, waiting would have made him worry and worry was feeling like anger right now. Tara didn’t deserve his chastising, but damn if he didn’t hate magic sometimes. He’d seen Willow with too many bloody noses, seen both she and Tara physically and mentally drained from its use. And so he needed to go, to act. Do something.

When he pulled up to the Magic Box, Anya was just walking up the sidewalk. Jogging to her side, he announced “We got problems.”

“Maybe you have problems,” Anya challenged as they reached the shop door, “I have no problems. Wait- you mean Hellmouth problems. Right?”

“Hellmouth problems,” Xander nodded, strangely charmed by Anya’s hasty barbs. He couldn’t help a small smile as he pushed the door open.

Inside they found Giles tersely flipping through books and they quickly exchanged all they knew about the night’s happenings. It was Giles who had called and was now speaking with Buffy.

Dawn had moved close to Buffy, trying to catch the conversation, studying her sister’s face for clues, watching expectantly even after Buffy hung up.

“What is it?” Dawn trailed after Buffy who moved with purpose to the purse she’d set on the ground by Tara.

“The dead who’d crossed the veil are panicking, getting all Poltergeisty, people are freaking and a horde of vamps is taking advantage.”

“Wouldn’t the dead want to be here?”

“I don’t know Dawn, apparently not, I have to go. You stay with Tara, no matter what, Anya is on her way.” Buffy used a hair tie to secure her hair into a ponytail then pulled two stakes from her bag, slipping them with practiced ease into her jacket sleeve.

“What about Xander and Giles?” Dawn asked, pulling nervously at her fingers.

“They’re heading out to help, I’m meeting up with them,” Buffy stood, ready but for one more thing. She held Dawn steadily, hands grasping lightly to her sister’s shoulders and locked their eyes, “Be safe, watch over Tara… and Willow.” Dawn nodded her understanding. Glancing quickly at Tara, Buffy bounded down the stairs.

A moment passed, Dawn listening to faint sounds of yelling coming from the world below, grateful that she couldn’t determine if they were shouts of fear or revelry.

She returned to her seat just outside of Tara’s circle and Dawn realized that Tara was crying, ever silent tears belying the calm demeanor. Tara was mumbling, languages that Dawn barely recognized. A single sob broke through the sound and Dawn’s heart staggered in sympathy. She reached, without thought, across the circle’s boundaries and slipped her fingers into Tara’s open palm, squeezing the hand in comfort only to snatch it back in horror when Tara gasped and opened her eyes, focusing intently on Dawn.

“Do that again,” Tara’s voice thin but insistent. Dawn frowned in confusion but sent her hand out again, Tara catching it in a strong grip. “Dawn,” a small smile curved Tara’s lips, “I see a door.”

“Wha- How?” Dawn squeaked, “Because of me?”

“Because of you,” Tara smiled, “I’m going to go through, I have to get Willow.”

A flutter chilled Dawn’s spine, a mixture of awe and fear, “Will your body go too? How will you get back?”

There wasn’t time for Tara to explain it all to Dawn, how Dawn couldn’t be her anchor and her door at the same time, not without practice, and how this door she had created was the most precious gift. Tara reached for Dawn’s other hand, squeezing them both before shutting her eyes again, settling for the journey, “You’ll be okay. Anya will be here soon.” Tara smiled widely, whispering, “Thank you Dawn.” Tara closed her eyes, laid down next to Willow and crossed to the otherside.

Last edited by shirrey on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (11/13/2020)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:11 pm 
8. Vixen

Dibs. I think Tara should have waited for Anya so she'd be the anchor and Dawn the door; however, that wouldn't create so much angst. Looking forward to reading more. Thanks for writing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 am 

Quote:
She reached, without thought, across the circle’s boundaries and slipped her fingers into Tara’s open palm, squeezing the hand in comfort only to snatch it back in horror when Tara gasped and opened her eyes, focusing intently on Dawn.

“Do that again,” Tara’s voice thin but insistent. Dawn frowned in confusion but sent her hand out again, Tara catching it in a strong grip. “Dawn,” a small smile curved Tara’s lips, “I see a door.”

“Wha- How?” Dawn squeaked, “Because of me?”

“Because of you,” Tara smiled, “I’m going to go through, I have to get Willow.”

A flutter chilled Dawn’s spine, a mixture of awe and fear, “Will your body go too? How will you get back?”

There wasn’t time for Tara to explain it all to Dawn, how Dawn couldn’t be her anchor and her door at the same time, not without practice, and how this door she had created was the most precious gift. Tara reached for Dawn’s other hand, squeezing them both before shutting her eyes again, settling for the journey, “You’ll be okay. Anya will be here soon.” Tara smiled widely, whispering, “Thank you Dawn.” And then she was gone.

Yay that Dawn as the "Key" is also able to open a door to "the other side". That Tara obviously didn't have to get up and "walk" through that door but just "vanished" was a bit surprising, though. I'm wondering what complications might arise from the fact that Tara crossed with her soul and body and not just with her soul (spirit?) like Willow did. Maybe it might even be a good thing and the souls of the dead won't be able to touch (and drain) her body?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:56 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

This is so much fun and intriguing! I actually like getting these little snippets, it's like a 'word a day' but for W/T goodness.

I can't wait to see how Tara finds Willow - we know, of course, that she will. And what will she do being on the 'other side'. Ooh, so many possibilities! :D :bounce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:10 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

taranwillow4ever
Quote:
I think Tara should have waited for Anya so she'd be the anchor and Dawn the door; however, that wouldn't create so much angst.

It may have been the more sensible thing to do, but Tara's not waiting when Willow is on the line. Thanks for feedbacking

wills_redemption
Quote:
Yay that Dawn as the "Key" is also able to open a door to "the other side". That Tara obviously didn't have to get up and "walk" through that door but just "vanished" was a bit surprising, though

well... I just wrote that she was gone- that can be open to interpretation ( I hope lol) Thanks!!

Laragh
Quote:
This is so much fun and intriguing! I actually like getting these little snippets, it's like a 'word a day' but for W/T goodness.
I am so glad it's fun!! I hope to be able to get back to a post a day (or at least every three days)

Quote:
I can't wait to see how Tara finds Willow - we know, of course, that she will. And what will she do being on the 'other side'. Ooh, so many possibilities!
She most definitely will! Thanks so much Laragh!!

Notes: I don't like writing fast. Nope. I mess up too much in the continuity of things. Also, I was hoping to get this done and out quickly but life and work have been roundly kicking my ass. Yay for vacation next week!!!

Ch 7

The wind had died down to a soft ruffling, tossing leaves playfully. The dead had reluctantly retreated, deterred by the show of magic. A witch’s power was different in this realm, but there was power all the same.

“Thieves,” Kathryn watched them leave through narrowed eyes before turning back and settling on her knees. Willow was leaned against the great oak, her head dipping to the side having lost the battle to stay conscious several minutes before.

Jesse fretted nearby. “Why isn’t she waking up?”

“If the veil doesn’t re-open soon…” Kathryn started. She rubbed her thighs briefly, preparing to stand, accepting Jesse’s offered hand as leverage. “The tree isn’t helping as it should, do you know where your friend gets her source from?”

“Her huh?”

“Her source, “Kathryn repeated patiently, “I can feel she is a witch, its part of what drew me to her. Do you know where her magic comes from?” Jesse shrugged helplessly.

“She wasn’t a witch when I was alive, at least that I know of,” he explained, moving aside a twiggy branch that, caught in the low breeze, was tapping at Willow’s head.

They fell silent, Jesse peering at the woman for answers and the woman pacing, eyes darting quickly in thought.

Unable to not know anymore, Jesse spoke, “If we don’t get the veil open in time? Will she die?” Asking about death wasn’t scary for the dead, eventually one got used to it. But it wasn’t life, and Willow had so much more to live. Jesse knew what it felt like to have it cut short. He wondered if someone was on the other side, waiting for her. Xander maybe.

The wind picked up slightly, blowing stray locks into Kathryn’s face as she prepared to give an answer she dreaded. Her lips caught as she formed the single word, pausing then parting, alert. To Jesse, she seemed to go inwards, her blue- grey eyes glazing over for just a moment before shining with purpose.

“Something’s happening, I think there may be a door. Stay with her.” Kathryn dipped her head toward Willow.

Jesse nodded, he had a purpose as well, “Not going anywhere.”

With a single nod in return, Kathryn slipped through the wind and toward the pull she was feeling. As she walked the blanket of leaves thinned leaving the moss covered ground that dominated this area uncovered. She had a vague sense of some of the dead watching her, sending surreptitious glances back to where she’d left Willow and Jesse. Gaze ahead and walking steady toward the pull, Kathryn raised a finger and made a small circular sign in the air. The wind roared behind her, picking up its protective pace around the tree. She hoped she hadn’t startled Jesse.

This pull wasn’t foreign, Kathryn knew it was a calling. It told her it was her turn to escort a newly deceased witch to the Summerlands. It had been strong when she felt Willow. She’d assumed it was because Willow was alive. She knew it was something more.

And now. It had never been this strong, this captivating, this familiar.

A shallow green light shone vaguely against the gray mist, there then gone again. Standing in it’s place…Kathryn nearly stumbled.

“Tara?”

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (11/18/2020)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:52 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

This is so good. I love that it's unexpected for Kathryn as well. I can't wait to see a Maclay tag team to save Willow!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 am 

Quote:
This pull wasn’t foreign, Kathryn knew it was a calling. It told her it was her turn to escort a newly deceased witch to the Summerlands. It had been strong when she felt Willow. She’d assumed it was because Willow was alive. She knew it was something more.

So Tara's mom is an escort service for the souls of dead witches? :wink Did she get bored in her Afterlife? Joke aside, I'm wondering whereto she escorts the souls.

Quote:
And now. It had never been this strong, this captivating, this familiar.

A shallow green light shone vaguely against the gray mist, there then gone again. Standing in it’s place…Kathryn nearly stumbled.

“Tara?”

So Tara gets her wish to "connect" with her mom fulfilled. The circumstances are certainly unexpected. Now hopefully Tara and her mom can bring both Willow and Tara herself safely back to the mortal world (and help all the "poltergeisty" panicking ghosts to get back onto the "right" side of the veil as well).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:06 pm 
8. Vixen

Can't wait for Tara to see her mom. Maybe this will yield some closure and peace. Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks for writing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Laragh:
Quote:
This is so good. I love that it's unexpected for Kathryn as well. I can't wait to see a Maclay tag team to save Willow!

Oh yay, thank you!!

Wills-redemption:
Quote:
So Tara's mom is an escort service for the souls of dead witches? :wink Did she get bored in her Afterlife? Joke aside, I'm wondering whereto she escorts the souls.

Well, she'd dead, not a nun :wink She is escorting the witches to the Summerland, a Wiccan-y version of afterlife.

Quote:
So Tara gets her wish to "connect" with her mom fulfilled. The circumstances are certainly unexpected. Now hopefully Tara and her mom can bring both Willow and Tara herself safely back to the mortal world (and help all the "poltergeisty" panicking ghosts to get back onto the "right" side of the veil as well).

It is definitely unexpected, but Tara now gets to have some in-person time with her mom.

taranwillow4ever:
Quote:
Can't wait for Tara to see her mom. Maybe this will yield some closure and peace.

:) Thanks for feedbacking!!

Rating: PG (might change :kdevil )
Do I own the characters? Nope.
Distribution: please ask, but probably yes

Enjoy!

Ch 8

Surreal. It was all Buffy could think as she turned the corner from the alley onto Main Street. The humans, the ones alive, were predictably terrified, tripping over themselves, each other and anything in their way in a mad dash to get away. The dead skittered about in an agitated fugue, walking through objects and cars, some occupied, and overloading streetlights with an unworldly energy causing several to spark like tiny fireworks. And then, moving at a leisurely pace, eerily discordant to the chaos around them, vampires, approaching from all sides. It was every horror movie in real life 3-D.

Lucky for them, Buffy thought, I don’t do horror trope. She ran into the fray, her pinned red devil’s tail swishing against her thighs, gladiator boots clacking against the pavement. She’d thought the boots apropos and the costume ironic, now she was glad to have worn her peacoat over her outfit. Fighting in a skintight bodysuit, would be helpful actually, but embarrassing. At least she’d ditched the horns early on.

Her keen hearing caught the woosh of an axe, and Buffy spun to see Xander hurtling toward a clump of vampires. Giles emerged from the Magic Box, sword in hand. Buffy gave him a single nod and turned into the fray. The gang was outnumbered, faced with at least twenty vamps. The fight was on.

Xander had killed two, one by luck. Giles had deftly defeated three, and Buffy had taken out five but now they were at a stalemate. Three children stood before them terrified, caught in the remaining vampires clutches, frightened tears fighting their way through oily Halloween make-up. Two adults, most likely the parents, were held off to the side by a pair of vampires in police uniform. They were fighting like hell, to no avail, but Buffy appreciated their moxie.

“If you know what’s good for you, you’ll let them all go,” Buffy was using her best slayer voice, standing her best Slayer stance, trying to threaten her way to safety for the captured.

“You must be the Slayer,” a small but built vampire stepped out, running his yellowed gaze down then up Buffy’s form.

“The one and only-ish.”

“Nice outfit,” he leered, gesturing to the gap in Buffy’s coat, “you feeling devil-ish tonight?”

“Just wicked enough to kick your ass,” the Slayer quipped, trying desperately to both look confident and hastily re-button her coat. “And it’s Halloween, moron, rules say you take the night off.”

The vampire sent a knowing look to his brethren, receiving chuckles and grunts in reply. “Oh yes, the rules,” he drew out the last word, stretching it until it lost meaning. “Mortal hang-ups. We’ve been shown there is a better path, one that represents our true nature.”

“Delusion?”

“Chaos.” the vamp announced, grandstanding like he’d found religion.

Buffy sent a glance at Giles and found he was already looking at her with a mix of alarm and exasperation. They’d reached the same conclusion.

………………………………...
Ch 9

First there was the door, a glowing rectangle in green. Within her mind’s eye, she had stepped through, her astral body following the visualization, crossing the planes. It had taken Tara years to get over the panic of feeling disembodied, of knowing her body lay without its essence. Now, driven with purpose, she had only a vague awareness of it, on the rooftop, sprawled next to Willow’s form, watched over by Dawn.

She passed into mist, so thick and dull that Tara it took moments for her eyes to adjust. She stepped forward onto mossy green. Felt her weight sink slightly into the moist ground. She prepared herself to move, and then she heard her name being called.

It wasn’t the voice she was looking for, but she knew it just as well. Her heart pounded even as her mind went blank, unable to comprehend beyond that flash of recognition. Her ears rang and her eyes unfocused until the sound of her being called again beckoned her.

“Tara?”

Through the fog, her blue eyes found the blue-gray of her mother’s and a sob tore from her throat. “Mama?”

Tara ran toward her mother, tears flowing freely, stopping abruptly when her mother stepped back, hands raised in warning.

“Mom?” Tara questioned, her expressive face revealing her confusion.

“Oh, my Tara. My precious girl.” Kathryn soothed.

Tara ached to be held by those strong arms, and though her mind had already deduced that something about this place forbade contact, her voice hitched in disappointment. “I can’t touch you.”

“Not while the veil is closed it’s not safe for you, oh Tara you shouldn’t be here.”

Tara felt her throat close, the sound of the tentative, apologetic warning bringing unwanted memories of a mother who had only been trying to protect her. She shook her head, clearing the thoughts, focusing on the present. Her mother was trying to keep her safe now too, but Tara didn’t care about safe, she cared about finding Willow. Tara looked into her mother’s eyes conveying through her gaze endless love and steely determination. “I have to find someone.”

Tara watched the skin knit between Kathryn’s brow, as if something had just occurred to her.

“How did you cross?”

“A friend,” Tara rushed, “please Mom, I need to find Willow.”

Tara’s steady confidence drew a small smile from Kathryn, thoughtful and proud. Studying her daughter for a moment more, Kathryn gestured for Tara to follow.

“Of course. She’s here.”

“She’s here? Is she okay?” Tara pleaded, searching the surroundings wildly. Kathryn nodded her head in the direction of the copse of trees, appearing merely like distant shadows within the fog. Tara fell into a nervous, quick step beside her.

“Come, she’s this way.”

“Mom? Is she okay?” Tara asked again, firmer this time. Her face paled when she saw Kathryn tighten her lips as if trying to delay the words.

“She needs to cross back, her energy is depleted. Tara, " Kathryn paused thoughtfully, "your Willow? Where does she get her source?”

Two things caused Tara’s heart to thud in her chest. Her mother saying ‘your Willow’ being the first. Tara wasn’t surprised that Kathryn knew, she had always been highly empathic, supernaturally tuned in to people’s emotions. But that her mother had met her love caused waves of thrumming joy through her body.

The other was the question. Her mother had been very strict on sources, teaching Tara carefully to only draw from nature. Tara had tried to interest Willow in working that way, but Willow was so innately powerful and good, that Tara had accepted that there were other ways, other sources just as safe. A thousand doubts flooded her, “Sh- she um, she’s self-taught, and has a l-lot of n-natural power.”

Hearing Tara’s pained stammer, Kathryn nearly reached out, wanting to hold and comfort her daughter. Instead, she cupped her hand around Tara’s cheek, a hair’s breadth of air separating contact. She smiled wistfully, “Tara, darling, I ask because there is a tree here. It’s roots connect the worlds and for sensitives, witches, it serves as a source of energy. But only if one has made connection with the earth.”

Tara looked at the ground beneath her, mist floating around her feet, “It’s not helping?”

“Not enough, we need to get her back. Soon.”

The seriousness of her mother’s tone sparked Tara's determination again and a fire lit in eyes, this wasn’t the end.

“Then we will.”

Tara ran toward the copse of trees, she couldn’t feel Willow here, but her heart knew exactly where to go.

Last edited by shirrey on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (11/24/2020)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:10 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DIBS! (It's been a LONG time since I got dibs on anything!!!)

Oh, I'm so pleased to see Kathryn and Tara reunited, even if they have to hold themselves back to be safe. I know they'll work together while Buffy and the gang fight off their demons. I do hope Willow takes this experience as a sign she needs to lay off the unnatural supernatural!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:31 am 

Boo that the vampires took kids as hostages and our heroes are outnumbered! Actually both problems have nothing to do with the ghost activities and the vampires could do the same any other night (luckily they don't get that idea normally). Nevertheless I trust that Buffy and the others will come up with a way to defeat them and the nameless vampire "leader" and his followers will soon be blowing in the wind.

Quote:
Within her mind’s eye, she had stepped through, her astral body following the visualization, crossing the planes. It had taken Tara years to get over the panic of feeling disembodied, of knowing her body lay without its essence. Now, driven with purpose, she had only a vague awareness of it, on the rooftop, sprawled next to Willow’s form, watched over by Dawn.

So as in Willow's case only Tara's soul/essence crossed over? That doesn't fit to your description at the end of chapter 6:
Quote:
Tara smiled widely, whispering, “Thank you Dawn.” And then she was gone.

"she was gone" indicates that Tara's body vanished as well. Otherwise Dawn's perspective should be "and then she fell back unconscious" or something like that.

Quote:
“Tara, darling, I ask because there is a tree here. It’s roots connect the worlds and for sensitives, witches, it serves as a source of energy. But only if one has made connection with the earth.”

Why do they need a tree in the afterlife as an energy source for witches? Do the souls of dead witches need energy there to sustain them and enable them to cross into Summerland? That would be pretty flawed if you ask me, even more so if it would work only on witches who have exclusively nature as their source.
I'm curious if the source of Willow's magic will be revealed and if she'll be "reformed" to just "draw from nature" from now on (I have to admit that that sounds like a pretty "black and white" approach to me - "nature magic good, all other magic bad").

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:50 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Laragh: Yay for dibs!
Quote:
Oh, I'm so pleased to see Kathryn and Tara reunited, even if they have to hold themselves back to be safe
I like reuniting them a lot- I love their bond. Its funny, I didn't mean it this way, but your comment made me think "it's kind of like 2020" with all the not being able to touch thing But at least I get to write a quicker end to the no-contact rule.

Quote:
. I do hope Willow takes this experience as a sign she needs to lay off the unnatural supernatural!

I do think there are different kinds of magic, different paths, but a little grounding in nature is a good thing for a witch imo. Thanks so much!! I am enjoying your feedback

Wills_redemption:

Quote:
So as in Willow's case only Tara's soul/essence crossed over? That doesn't fit to your description at the end of chapter 6:

Yeah, you mentioned that inconsistency in an earlier comment and I responded then as well. It was a mistake, I goofed. I have gone back and fixed it and a few more things that needed tweaking.

Quote:
Why do they need a tree in the afterlife as an energy source for witches? Do the souls of dead witches need energy there to sustain them and enable them to cross into Summerland? That would be pretty flawed if you ask me, even more so if it would work only on witches who have exclusively nature as their source.
I'm curious if the source of Willow's magic will be revealed and if she'll be "reformed" to just "draw from nature" from now on (I have to admit that that sounds like a pretty "black and white" approach to me - "nature magic good, all other magic bad").

All I can say to this is: the story isn't finished. You may feel the same when your questions/ concerns are addressed, although things are not quite as you are assuming, but we aren't there yet.

Notes: this is unbeta'd, so all mistakes/ inconsistencies are my own. Hope it makes sense though, and even more, hope you enjoy!!

Ch 10

Maybe I should have dressed up, Dawn thought, shivering as the cold air seeped through her jean jacket, like, as an Eskimo or a sheep, or something else really warm. She coveted the blanket under where Willow and Tara now laid, briefly considering crawling into the warm space between them. Fear of crossing the circle again stopped her.

She looked up at the sound of the rooftop door opening, heavy and slow. Dawn sat up straighter as she watched Anya emerge, eyes widening at the sight before her, her gait quickening.
“Oh my god, what happened?” Anya pointed, gesturing needlessly at Willow and Tara.

Dawn stood, her hands briskly rubbing up and down crossed arms. “Tara went through.”

Anya walked over to where Tara and Willow lay, stopping short of the ritual’s boundary, staring incredulously at Tara, “She went? Without an anchor?” Not waiting for an answer she already knew, Anya continued, head swiveling between Dawn and Tara, “Well that was remarkably stupid, and maybe brave, possibly even romantic- but mostly stupid.”

“I-,” Dawn started, unsure how to explain, grateful for Anya's interruption.

“Wait. The veil is closed,” Anya trailed, trying to understand how Tara got through.

“She went through a door.”

“Oh, then she can just come back through.” Anya nodded, her short lived relief blighted by the look Dawn wore, “What?”

Dawn shifted nervously, “Well, she said it was because of me. I touched her and then she went through the door. She said I did it.”

Anya grabbed Dawn by the arm, dragging her closer to the two prone bodies, “Do it again!” She demanded, pointing at Tara. Dawn’s eyes widened, the thought hadn’t even crossed her mind. She tentatively entered the circle and kneeled next to Tara, taking limp fingers between her outstretched hand. Several minutes passed. Nothing. No stir. No reaction.

Dawn looked like she could cry, “Maybe she has to be conscious?”

Anya wondered why things could never be easy. “She probably needs to be actively casting,” she conceded, “and magic doesn’t work on the Otherside. Not living magic anyway. Dammit, she should have waited,” Anya complained, shaking her head as she paced, fingers nervously toying with the tie of her coat. “Now they’re both over there and the veil is still closed and there’s a door but no door,” Anya continued, agitation rising, her thoughts running her into a panic, “So now we have two lost witches and there are rogue vampires and the displaced dead walking around all willy-nilly and scaring the bejeesus out of the town folk. Which is kind of funny actually, except that Xander is fighting them, the vampires, not the dead, and we are stuck here now,” Anya gestured around the roof, eyes frantic, “because Tara decided to go all kamikaze girl and oh god,” she turned back to Dawn, eyes watering, “what if Buffy takes too long and something happens to Willow and Tara and…” Dawn stood and placed herself in Anya’s path, steadily grasping Anya’s upper arms. She stared until their eyes met and Anya took a deep breath.

“I’m scared too, but this isn’t helping,” Dawn tried hard to keep her voice strong, “Tara had to go because it was Willow, you know?”

Anya pouted and huffed reluctantly, “Was still stupid.”

Dawn pulled her hands back, recrossing them around her torso, “I’m sorry.”

“What did you do?”

“I made the door, remember?”

“What, with a hammer, some nails and wood? Mmpph. Now I’m thinking of Xander again,” Anya sidetracked momentarily, “You mean you opened a door. You’re the Key, you open doors, you don’t build them.”

Dawn shook her head, “So I just opened an already there door?”

“Unless there’s something you’re hiding from us. You’re not, are you?” Anya narrowed her eyes but Dawn didn’t notice, too busy trying to replay what had happened with Tara .

“But she said, I mean, she said there was a door and that it was because of me." Dawn couldn’t quite process all that had happened. Too confusing and not the point, "Either way, it doesn’t make me feel better.”

Anya glanced at Dawn, “No probably not.” Dawn dropped her gaze downward, needlessly guilty. “Look,” Anya offered, gaining Dawn’s attention, “it was Tara’s choice to go through without an anchor.”

Dawn nodded, freeing Anya to pace and gesture, “Tara’s always been Little Miss Cautious, but then Willow is in trouble and Wham! Good sense out the door!”

“I thought you said it was romantic?” Dawn couldn’t help but tease, grasping on the chance to break the tense mood. Anya waved her hand dismissively.

“Yeah, that too.”

“Can’t you help? Maybe you and I can open another door,” Dawn hoped.

Anya's gaze moved between Dawn and the still drawn circle where Willow and Tara remained. She moved briskly, sighing, “We can try.”

Last edited by shirrey on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (11/28/2020)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:28 pm 
8. Vixen

DIBS

I hope Anya and Dawn can do something, or Kathryn, Tara and Willow...Looking forward to reading more.
Thanks for writing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:00 am 

Quote:
“She went? Without an anchor?” Not waiting for an answer she already knew, Anya continued, head swiveling between Dawn and Tara, “Well that was remarkably stupid, and maybe brave, possibly even romantic- but mostly stupid.”

:lol Love makes you do the wacky...

Quote:
“She probably needs to be actively casting,” she conceded, “and magic doesn’t work on the Otherside. Not living magic anyway.

So Tara and Willow can't do magic there but Kathryn can - maybe she can somehow combine energies with Dawn to open a door from the Other Side.
Quote:
“What did you do?”

“I made the door, remember?”

“What, with a hammer, some nails and wood? Mmpph. Now I’m thinking of Xander again,” Anya sidetracked momentarily, “You mean you opened a door. You’re the Key, you open doors, you don’t build them.”

Dawn shook her head, “So I just opened an already there door?”

Oh yeah, the mysteries of the mythical Key - can "it" only open non corporeal doors that are already there or create a door if needed?

Quote:
“Can’t you help? Maybe you and I can open another door,” Dawn hoped.

Or open the same one again?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:40 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh, Anya was so on point for this. I could see her so clearly. And I'm always glad to see her utilized fully. Like Tara, she had so much more to offer!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:47 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

taranwillow4ever: one or more of those pairs will definitely have a role in helping. Thanks for reading and commenting!!

Wills-redemption: lots of possibilities, this one definitely required some mental gymnastics for me to work around all the mythology but magic will be done, in one or many forms, to get our girls home. Thanks for your feedback

Laragh:
Quote:
Oh, Anya was so on point for this. I could see her so clearly. And I'm always glad to see her utilized fully. Like Tara, she had so much more to offer!

Thank you! I couldn't pass up a chance to do an Anya mini freak out lol. I agree she had so much more to offer, woman knows her stuff, especially regarding other worlds and tricky supernatural going-ons. Thanks for reading and your feedback!

Notes: I love and crave constructive feedback!! We will see the girls again in Ch 12 - which is almost finished. So much for this being a weekend long write (she says over a month after it was started) . This is a little squicky at the end. This has not been beta'd

Ch 11

A shadow flittered behind the gathered vampires. It was subtle, just a wisp but Buffy caught it, keen senses honed in the moment. A sliver of light from a storefront sign revealed Spike’s face, his gaze intent and questioning, silently waiting for Buffy to dictate his next move. A minute shake of her head told him to wait.

The dead, who had insofar remained at a curious distance, seemed to be sending their own non-verbal messages to another behind the vampires’ backs. Something innate told Buffy not to interfere when they approached quietly, each standing below a street lamp.

In a single second, Buffy heard s a series of cracks, glass shattering as the night seemed to alight. It was a dangerous game with humans so close, but the vampires were a de facto shield in their positions behind the hostages. Irony being kind of ironic that way. Still, Buffy was poised. From the corner of her eye, she saw Xander and Giles both increase their grips on their respective weapons. Spike inched a little closer.

Sparks from the remaining streetlights shot into the air before rocketing toward the creatures below. Three vampires caught aflame. Two managed to bat out the flames, one lit and immolated within seconds. The damage was small, but the move was enough. Surprised by the attack, the vampires’ attention split and the gang moved forward. Xander and Giles tore the children then the adults away, yelling at them to run. The family needed no other cue.

With a feral cry, Spike charged, a stake in both hands, lifted and ready. They hit their marks. Ten feet away, Buffy sparred with three more vamps, easily gaining the upper hand. Xander was grappling toe to toe with another, grunting as he swung his axe. The vamp ducked and Xander almost lost his footing, managing to shift and sweep his leg, upending the vamp and taking off its head with a woosh. Giles held the lead blood-sucker to the ground with the edge of his sword, pressed ominously against its neck.

The Scoobies parried and kicked, swung and dove. The dead sent more sparks from already fritzing lamppost,s creating confusion more than damage. Then there were four vampires left, including the one held steady on the ground. The three standing took one glance at each other, one glance at Buffy, and one last at their downed compatriot before fleeing into the night. A voice called out behind them, mocking.

“That’s right! How do ya like them candied apples?!” Xander grinned widely, his mirth fading when he turned and was immediately met with three blank stares. “What?” he shrugged, “It’s Halloween!”

Giles simply rolled his eyes then moved his attention back to his captive, eyes hardening. Buffy smirked fondly at Xander, getting a smile in return, and moved to stand next to Giles.
Spike joined, practically bouncing from foot to foot, itching for more violence, “What’r you waiting for, the bloody Great Pumpkin? Finish the bugger.” He gestured from Giles to the vampire, eagerly hoping that he would be asked to do the job.

“As much as that would offer a strange amount of satisfaction, we need him. He has some things he needs to share with us,” The sword dug into the vampire’s flesh as Giles addressed it, “Doesn’t he?”

“That’s right mister! No tricks just treats,” the stares went past blank and into annoyance and Xander had the sense to shrivel a little.”Alright alright, staying the quiet man.”

Spike grumbled beside him, “If wishes were horses.”

“Shut up, Sp- What does that even mean?”

“That you need to button it, monkey boy.”

Xander paused, all his good intentions ready to stay quiet crumbled under the weight of his question, “But what’s with the horses?”

Spike raised his chin, swiveling his head dramatically to again glare at Xander. They stared, Spike’s closed mouth working to find a fitting answer. Finding none, he chose to huff in annoyance and took a step closer to Buffy.

“Uh huh,” Xander moved as well, chiding under his breath, “looks like I’m not the only-“

“Xander, shut up,” Buffy commanded without moving her watchful gaze from the vampire. “Now,” the Slayer continued, placing her boot against Giles’ sword, adding a little more pressure on the creature’s neck, “Tell us where he is.”

The vampire didn’t dare move, the pressure on his neck was steady but he knew it would only take a quick shove from the Slayer’s powerful leg to see him dusted. But he wasn’t giving up that easily and he definitely did not want the Slayer and her gang to get a hold of his new guru- Chaos was too good to his kind, Chaos was the only thing that could save him now when logic seemed to conclude in his second death.

“Why would I tell you anything, Slayer?”

“Do you *not* feel the sharp metal thingy cutting into your dead pasty skin?”

“And what? I tell you and you let me go. Heard that story.”

There was no more time for banter, they had to act. Fast. Buffy turned to Giles, her features steely, humorless , “We need this information, Giles. We need to know if it’s him. We need to let them,” she gestured at the dead who lingered and sent them a grateful nod, “cross back over, and we need to get Willow back. Now.”

Without preamble, Giles slid his sword out from under Buffy’s boot tearing into the vamp’s flesh, stolen blood trickling from the wound. Buffy stepped back, giving her Watcher space, her muscles remaining coiled, ready. Seeing this side of Giles always caused Buffy’s stomach to churn, as much as she knew sometimes it was necessary, as much as it took the burden off her, it was the Ripper side of Giles and she had trouble reconciling to two sides of the man who was like a father to her. But right now, she conceded, they needed Ripper.

The sword now a hair’s breath from the vampire’s left eye, Giles shifted his weight. Then asked simply, deadly, “Where is Ethan Rayne?”

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (12/6/2020)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:02 am 

Quote:
A shadow flittered behind the gathered vampires. It was subtle, just a wisp but Buffy caught it, keen senses honed in the moment. A sliver of light from a storefront sign revealed Spike’s face, his gaze intent and questioning, silently waiting for Buffy to dictate his next move.

I had been wondering already where Spike is, I'm glad that he arrived as backup.

Quote:
The dead, who had insofar remained at a curious distance, seemed to be sending their own non-verbal messages to another behind the vampires’ backs. Something innate told Buffy not to interfere when they approached quietly, each standing below a street lamp.

In a single second, Buffy heard s a series of cracks, glass shattering as the night seemed to alight. It was a dangerous game with humans so close, but the vampires were a de facto shield in their positions behind the hostages. Irony being kind of ironic that way. Still, Buffy was poised. From the corner of her eye, she saw Xander and Giles both increase their grips on their respective weapons. Spike inched a little closer.

Sparks from the remaining streetlights shot into the air before rocketing toward the creatures below. Three vampires caught aflame. Two managed to bat out the flames, one lit and immolated within seconds. The damage was small, but the move was enough. Surprised by the attack, the vampires’ attention split and the gang moved forward.

Yay that the ghosts decided to help the gang against the vampires, I didn't expect that. Then again at least some of the ghosts were probably killed by vampires and had the chance to "get even" a little by helping with killing some vampires.

Quote:
The sword now a hair’s breath from the vampire’s left eye, Giles shifted his weight. Then asked simply, deadly, “Where is Ethan Rayne?”

I have to admit I missed the clue you planted in chapter 8 (the mentioning of Chaos) that Ethan Rayne is behind this mess. He really needs every square-inch of his arse kicked! :fit

Post subject: Re: The In- Between (12/6/2020)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:10 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wills-redemption: Had to get Spike in there somewhere, he's definitely good in a fight. Good point that the dead may have been killed by vamps, I honestly didn't think of that, just that they wanted to help. Ethan Rayne is so damn fun- and yes, he for sure needs a pummeling for this. Thanks for feedbacking!

Notes: The girls are together again. This has not been beta'd, hopefully the mistakes are few.

Ch 12

Reaching the whirling mass of leaves and rocks, Tara stumbled to a stop, scanning the space wildly, not lingering in one place long enough to register the presence of the watchful dead. Panting from her run and impatient with worry, she called out Willow's name. She turned as her mother caught up with her.

Walking briskly, Kathryn had met the gaze of any suspicious looking dead with a steely warning that turned each of them away. “She’s in there,” Kathryn nodded at a cautious Tara to walk through, gesturing past the rotating wind that obscured the trunk of a great oak. With a steadying breath, Tara nodded in reply before squeezing her eyes shut and stepping into the swirling air. She emerged into a small wooded area and, when she reopened her eyes, was met by a tall thin teen standing rigidly before her. Tara stepped back slightly, her gaze flitting from the young man to the area around her, catching a glimpse of red.

“Willow,” Tara breathed, no louder than a whisper as she tried to process the sight of the redhead slumped unconscious against a tree. She darted to Jesse’s left only to be parried by his mirror movement. Blue eyes flashed, daring Jesse to take her on, promising a fierce fight if he kept her away. Jesse studied her closely, his brow dipped in confusion as he continued to block her from his friend, not willing to take any chances after what Willow had been through. He’d been expecting Kathryn and here was this, living, girl who was Kathryn but not; the features were clearly alike but this woman was much younger, her eyes a little bluer. Before he could ask who she was, the older woman stepped through the wind and entered the space, Jesse’s eyes widening further as he saw them side by side.

“Get out of my way,” Tara warned. Her voice low and steady as it pushed past clenched teeth.

“Jesse, this is my daughter Tara.” Kathryn laid a placating hand on his arm, “she’s here for Willow.” Jesse shook his head trying to place all the pieces of this growing puzzle into a picture that made sense. Unable to fully wrap his mind around it all, he glanced between the two women. He trusted Kathryn and Tara was her living daughter, somehow here. Like Willow. He relaxed his shoulders, ducked his head and stepped aside.

Tara moved quickly, knees disappearing under compliant, soft leaves as she knelt at Willow’s side, pulling the unconscious girl into her arms. She laid her forehead against Willows, feeling the cold skin touch her own. “How l-long has she been...” Tara started, but the words stuck in her throat and tears pooled heavily.

“Not long,” Jesse tried to reassure, the tenderness of the young woman softening him.

Kathryn looked on, unsurprised and warmed with joy. She’d known from the moment Tara had spoken Willow’s name that her daughter was in love, a truth strengthened by the sweet devotion Tara showed now. All she had wanted for her daughter was to feel loved, to be able to love freely, to get out from under her father’s firm thumb. There was so much Kathryn needed to say, so many things she hoped they had time for, but right now, she needed her daughter and Willow safe.

“Tara,” Kathryn called softly, “We will figure something out. But for now, you should sit at the base of the tree, lean against it.”

“I don’t feel drained,” Tara said as she moved behind Willow, wondering why she wasn’t being affected. Leaning forward, she tucked her hands under Willow’s neck and bent legs and shifted the redhead onto her lap.

“You will be, eventually. Some of the dead touched Willow, when the veil is closed, living energy doesn’t flow freely. Some of the dead try to take what is left in a living person’s body, I think it’s a reminder of what living felt like,” Kathryn gestured toward Willow, “they drained her energy more quickly.”

“I kept them off,” Jesse interjected, he needed Tara to know he had protected his old friend, “Thieves” he added, repeating Kathryn’s disgust from before.

Tara ducked her head shyly before glancing back up.“Thank you,” Tara said, her half smile shy and apologetic, grateful when Jesse simply nodded in reply. A thick, protruding root obstructed her backward scoot to the tree. Holding Willow close with her right arm, she curled her left hand around the wood and lifted their weight, hoisting them over and into a snug, cupped dip at the base of the trunk, more roots completing the circle around her. Once settled, she brushed her hand across Willow’s cheek, pushing back fallen red locks, and tucking them behind Willow’s ear. Her fingers lingered, trailing down to play with a soft curl. The bark of the old tree started to hum lightly against her back and Tara sensed a vague energy rising up through its roots.

“Willow tried to do magic here, it drew their attention. Mine too,” Kathryn added nodding at the sight before her, a soft smile crossing her lips, “now I understand why the pull was so strong.” Tara met her mother’s gaze, the question in her eyes gone before it fully formed, the answer given in her mother’s expression of unguarded affection.

“Huh?” Jesse asked, his full brain unable to conceive another twist.

Kathryn answered and smiled at her daughter’s resulting blush, “They’re in love.” Her smile widened when Tara hugged Willow tighter in her arms and placed light kisses across her love’s temple. Tingles danced under Tara’s skin as she held her girl, enhanced as her body drew in the tree’s gift .

Mouth working like a goldfish, Jesse gave up on words and just shook his head. Willow had definitely grown up. “I’m Jesse, by the way,” he offered with a quick wave, “I knew Willow in high school.”

“Oh wow! She, um, she told me about you,” Tara smiled softly, flushing lightly at her outburst. Jesse’s face lit up and the sight encouraged Tara to continue, “It’s so nice to meet you. She misses you.”

“Yeah? I miss her too,” Jesse nodded, glancing fondly at his old friend in the arms of this woman who loved her enough to cross worlds. Jesse furrowed his brow, they had to find a way out for these two.

The tree was pouring life energy into Tara now, and she sighed in its warmth as it made its way into her hands. It felt like magic, it felt like magic with Willow, kinetic and joyous. She took in her love’s fine features, now slack, and she felt connected, to the worlds, to Willow. But as wonderful as it felt, Tara knew they would need to move soon enough, they couldn’t stay there. Even though her mom was here, even though they were all together, it wasn’t life. And eventually, even with the tree, they would die of malnutrition. She and Willow weren’t done with their world yet.

The wind continued to rush around them, the only noise as the trio fell into thoughtful silence. Then, the sound barely audible, Tara gasped. In her arms, Willow’s eyelashes began to flutter.