The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 6/26/15)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:19 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 3
Title: Dancing Barefoot
Spoilers: None
Setting: AU. No magic, just Willow and Tara attending Sunnydale University
Rating: Mostly PG -13
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters this is just for fun
Summary: A short telling of Willow and Tara's first date and first kiss. Told through the perspective of Tara.
Notes: I hope you like it. The beginning is just a file of Willow and Tara's e-mails. There is actual dialogue after that part.

Part One:

March 25, at 2:05 PM e-mail file:

Willow: so I keep thinking about how amazing you are and I'm sitting in my room smiling to myself.

Tara: I'm actually doing the same thing (:

Willow: Aw <3

March 26, at 4:05 PM

Tara: <3 (:

Willow: You are so wonderful. :3 you make me so happy

Tara: You are lovely (: you make me really happy too (:

Willow: I hope you have a good class. My teacher is pissed because no one worked on the labs that were due today.

Tara: <3 you too. I'm sorry your teacher is pissed :/

March 27, at 1:39 PM e-mail file:

Tara: To be honest I'm scared… I have very little experience with everything that involves a relationship. I've wanted to kiss you too…

Willow: What about it scares you darling? Experience doesn't matter. As long as it feels right.

2:08 PM

Tara: Sorry I was out getting some lunch. I don't know I'm just afraid I won't be very good at it and it won't be pleasant. I don't know I just get embarrassed very easily.

March 28, at 7:51 PM e-mail file:

Tara: Can we try tomorrow?

Willow: I had planned to <3

Tara: <3 (:

Willow: I get nervous. I was actually just talking to Buffy about it :X

Tara: I'm nervous too. What did Buffy say?

Willow: She told me to just do it

Willow: And she says hi

8:05 Pm

Tara: Say hi back for me (:

Willow: Okay (:

Tara: <3 you're beautiful

Willow: <3 so are you darling.

End of e-mail file.

It was Saturday. The weekend. A form lay hidden inside a quilt that seemed to have swallowed the sleeping figure at some point in the night. The darkness of the room had begun to retreat into the corners of the four walls. California light began to filter in and outline the spaces in between the shades. The figure roused it's head completely covered by the heavy blanket despite the heat. Tara Maclay smiled, her heavy lids still closed. It was Saturday. The weekend. She shifted to the other side of the pillow and gathered it up to her face trying to remember the scent of the woman who had slept there only a few days ago. As she moved she could feel her nightshirt stick to her body. She was drenched in sweat. Possibly from another nightmare. This time she didn't remember it. She liked it more when she couldn't remember them. She wished she could forget them all, but she needed them in a way. They made her strong.

Moving the heavy quilt to the side, Tara reached over to the night table to retrieve her glasses. She would put her contacts in later. She had been reading last night. Not wanting to fall asleep with her contacts in she put her glasses on instead. They were old and the prescription needed to be updated, but they still worked for simple tasks. Grabbing a towel and her shower supplies Tara left the safety of her room and locked the door. Yanking her blue striped boxers into place, her bare feet padded softly down the hallway to the shared bathroom. Luckily it was early enough that no one would be there. It was hard getting used to sharing a bathroom with twenty-four other women but it was an adjustment that Tara was adapting to.

Tara placed the small plastic bag of her shower things in an empty sink. She took off her glasses and placed them on the ledge. She then stripped off the damp T-shirt. She had forgotten again to take her bra off before she went to bed so she removed that too. It helped that no one was there it was easier to undress in peace. She pulled her boxers down and underwear all in one motion. Then, after gathering the bag of shower supplies, she walked into one of the shower stalls and drew the curtain. She adjusted the temperature and felt her skin slowly wake up. She smiled to herself and thought of the latest string of e-mails from her girlfriend.

Willow. She had been in Tara's Modern Folklore class all year and yet they had never really talked. Last month they had been paired up to work on a project. Willow had come over to plan out their presentation and they had started talking. They arranged a week after that to hang out and have a movie night. Willow came by and popped in a VHS of Harry Potter into Tara's small TV. They sat in bed talking over the movie. Willow did most of the talking and began to open up about her life. She started telling Tara about her ex boyfriend and how he had cheated and left her for this other woman. Her ex and this other girl apparently still lived on campus and so every time Willow would run into them she would start having anxiety attacks. She had lost her appetite and retreated into herself afraid to leave her room and see them together. After this long catharsis, they awkwardly returned their attention back to the movie. Tara was unsure of how to comfort the girl sitting next to her. She felt Willow trace the knuckles of her hand and then suddenly interlace their fingers. She remembered the moment her breathing hitched and how Willow had turned to her and whispered, "Is this okay?". Tara could only nod and smile.

The water was steady and warm as it removed all traces of sleep and nighttime sweat. Tara uncapped a bottle of Sage body wash and began to lather her body in it. She trembled a little in anticipation of what today would bring. Willow wanted to go out today. On a real first date.

It was two days before spring break. Tara sat in her Modern Folklore class trying to keep her attention on the documentary on Native American culture that was being shown. Yet her focus kept wavering to that of her new friend. Willow slumped over her desk a few rows down from her with a pained expression on her face. Willow explained a week ago about how sometimes her stomach would begin to hurt from stress. Perhaps this was what was happening now. Tara stared at Willow wishing she could do something to make her feel better. Willow lifted her head slightly and turned to catch Tara's worried gaze. She had smiled weakly and got up while the professor wasn't looking. She moved to the vacant desk beside Tara and put her head down again, but from underneath the desk she reached out her hand and Tara took it. Willow's grip was firm as she quietly rode out her pain. Tara began to gently stroke Willow's hand with her thumb not knowing how else to soothe her. Willow copied this movement and Tara began to shiver. It hurt how gentle this touch was, the feeling snaked up her arm and made her stomach flutter. They continued this game until the lights turned on at the end of class and finally they let go.

Willow walked with Tara back to Stevenson Hall all the while talking about their plans for spring break. Willow was leaving that day to be home with her family. Tara had elected to remain on campus. Willow sensing this new found connection with Tara handed her a folded note and went off to her dorm room. Tara continued walking to her own dorm and opened the note. It was Willow's e-mail address and under that it asked if Tara would write to her over the brief vacation. They had begun e-mailing and things had gotten more confusing. Willow had started to flirt with her through their messages and Tara surprised herself by flirting back. She kept a safe distance however, unsure of Willow's intentions.

Willow returned Sunday afternoon and Tara had been waiting for her in the picnic area reading a book to pass the time. Willow ran into her arms and neither wanted to let go. Willow had jokingly referred to this as a "forever hug". They spent that night talking and holding hands. They talked until three in the morning when Tara finally had the guts to straight out ask Willow if she had intentionally flirted with her over e-mail. Willow admitted she had and shyly asked if Tara would be her girlfriend. Tara was in shock but happily agreed, she offered for Willow to sleep over that night seeing that it may be too dangerous for her to return to her room and in truth she didn't want the red-head to leave. They fell asleep in each other's arms and Tara woke up that morning smiling and thinking to herself "I have a girlfriend… I have a girlfriend… I can't believe this….".

Tara worked the remainder of her conditioner out before turning the water off and wrapping herself in a purple towel with a butterfly pattern. She walked out of the shower stall just as a few women began to groggily shuffle in. It was still early so it was probably the few who had a work study to get to or a part time job.Tara put on her glasses that had fogged up slightly from the steam. Making sure her towel was on securely she bundled up her dirty clothes walked the short distance back to her dorm. She dropped her dirty clothes into her laundry basket by her door and walked over to her clothes drawer. She picked a pair of yellow underwear with a pattern of the batman symbol on it and a simple black bra. Checking that the shades were still drawn Tara pressed the open button on her radio and placed a disc in before closing the lid and pressing play. Soft jazz began to peter in and Ella Fitzgerald began to sing "They can't take that away from me". Tara sang along softly as she dressed. The music was comforting, it was one of her mother's old CD's and it made her smile.

Tara decided on a pair of gray jeans with a sewn on pocket with a floral design and a long sleeved striped shirt with a blue button up collar. After feeling confident with her choice she began to untangle her wet hair. Switching from the CD to the radio "Candles" by Hey Monday began to play. Tara hummed along not knowing all of the words while she went about preparing the rest of her morning routine. She applied deodorant, while waiting for her hair to dry and decided to wear her strawberry quartz point necklace today. She gathered more crystals from out of a wooden bowl by her bed and picked out the ones that she thought she might need. Raw Chalcedony- The one Willow had gotten her at their first trip to the magic box. Tourmaline- For anxiety. Blue Lace Agate- To be calm. Amazonite- For harmony and balance. She slipped these into her sewn on pocket and felt their energy protecting her. Again the song shifted to "Bloom" by The Paper Kites.

She checked the clock, it was almost ten. Willow would be over soon to pick her up for their date. Tara's breathing hitched slightly. She felt dizzy. Would Willow be the one to kiss her… or should she make the first move? What if she was no good at kissing? Again and Again she had gone through each scenario in her head about how their first kiss would play out. Most ending in her screwing up in some fashion. Willow had taken to constantly assuring her that everything would be okay. They had been together a week and both had been to shy to kiss each other.

Gathering her tooth brush and tooth paste Tara returned to the bathroom and brushed her teeth, watching in the mirror as the room began to fill up with the dorm's residents filing in and out. She spit into the sink and splashed water on her lips removing traces of the toothpaste. She wiped her mouth with a paper towel and returned to her room growing more antsy as the time grew nearer. She paced her room waiting for Willow to arrive at any second.

"In the pale light of the moon, I play the game of you"- Neil Gaiman, Sandman

Last edited by nightmask on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:00 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Summary: A short telling of Willow and Tara's first date and first kiss. Told through the perspective of Tara.
Notes: The book Tara refers to is "The Dovekeepers" By Alice Hoffman

Part two:

While Tara waited for Willow to arrive she thought of the book she was currently reading. She was only a few chapters in but she found the need to stop every once and a while just to process the weight of the story.

The book took place during the biblical era of Roman rule. The Romans had suceeded at this point in destroying the Jewish temples and driving it's people out of Jerusalem and into the perilous desert. The hero of the tale, Yael, reminded Tara of who she used to be before she moved to Sunnydale. Like Yael Tara was blamed for her mother's passing. Her father also bore the guilt of his wife's death but mourned her through his abuse towards his daughter. Tara's birth was something her mother could not survive and yet it was the father who planted the seed. They were both at fault, something Tara's father would never admit because it would put them on the same level and he would never accept that.

Every night Yael would dream of a lion swallowing her whole or of a burning tree. Now the dreams were becoming that of a ghost who kept crying and clinging to her. Tara felt for Yael past the boundaries of words, she knew this girl as she knew herself. She was Yael and she no longer remembered who swallowed her whole at night but she still woke up every morning drenched in sweat. Yael spoke of the desert as if it were to look into the face of god, burning and white. If you were mad enough to look into the rolling waves of the barren land it was said that you lost your way forever. Tara knew that if she reflected too long on her past she too would become lost. The only option was to keep moving and when she did spare a moment to look back she knew not to linger or everything would crumble to salt.

It seemed silly to think of the past now as a soft yet recognizable rapping was heard through the door. Tara smiled and opened it and Willow gazed back at her with a hopeful grin. When Tara had first seen her in class she thought Willow was beautiful but did not allow herself to feel anything more. She sensed that Willow was somehow out of her league, best to just keep her head down and mind buried in a book than to entertain life's temping "what if's". How wrong she had been and what a wonderful 'what if'.

Willow was lovely. Her red hair ended abruptly before her shoulders in a way that Tara always wanted to just reach out and run her hands through the endings. Her eyes were green but not the kind that needed to be made a big deal about, they were simple and always concentrating on something and that's what fascinated Tara to no end. Her lips curled in the cutest manner whenever she smiled and teeth always managed to slip through. Today she was wearing a green t-shirt with a few buttons undone at the neckline and black jeans. In her arms she held a peach colored cardigan that had dragons and flowers embroidered into it. She was so lovely.

Willow looked up nervously at Tara while she briefly stared.

"Uh ready to go? You might want to bring a sweater with you it's supposed get chilly and possibly rain. There was only a thirty percent chance of a downpour so I didn't think to bring an umbrella, but I can always go back and get one if you'd like?" Willow babbled on.

She usually did this when Tara stared at her, unsure of what to say exactly. Tara grinned, she loved whenever Willow got flustered and would begin to ramble off a stream of consciousness. She was always more of a listener than a talker anyway and she loved to listen to Willow talk. It also put her at ease to know that she wasn't the only one who was nervous.

"Oh uh… let me just… let me just grab… my sweater and we can head out" Tara explained while quickly navigating her room.

She put on her leather jacket that had the sweater fabric on the inside. It was one of her favorite jackets and it gave her some added confidence when she considered that the shirt she was wearing did have a tendency to give her a slight midriff. She placed a hand over her pocket making sure she had her crystals before looping a backpack strap over one shoulder.

"R-Ready" Tara proclaimed.

She did a quick overview check of her room making sure she wasn't forgetting anything. Then she flicked the light switch down and closed the door hearing the lock go into place. Her keys jingled in her back pocket. Willow smiled as Tara's hand automatically sought hers. They walked at a steady pace down the carpeted hallway, playfully swinging their clasped hands .

"S-So… uh where are we um… heading?" Tara asked once outside the dorm.

Willow took the lead down the walking path. She looked back at Tara and grinned with her tongue poking out slightly.

"Two Boots sound okay?" the redhead inquired, eyebrows slightly raised in question.

Tara nodded and grinned. They were going on a date! Their first date! Two Boots was perfect for their first date. It was informal but not entirely so. It took a little pressure off and made it more casual. Tara felt herself relax a little more and focused on Willow's warm hand in hers. The air was a little chilly and sky was some what overcast but it looked like it would hold for at least another hour.

"You're wearing your glasses today?" Willow asked, staring back at her curiously.

Tara hardly ever wore them, she only put them on if she was taking out her contacts or about to read before going to sleep. Tara reached up to feel her glasses having forgotten they were on her face.

"Oh… I must have forgotten to put my contacts in… it um happens sometimes" Tara explained.

She had felt the vaguest twinge that she had forgotten to do something, now she knew what it was.

"Did you want to go back for your contacts?" Willow asked.

They were in no hurry, the restaurant closed at two in the morning.

"Oh no it's okay, I'll just change them when we go back later" Tara explained.

She knew Willow wouldn't mind going back but she didn't want to put her through all that trouble. Willow nodded and they continued on.

"Are you hungry darling?" Willow asked as they crossed the street and walked past the expresso pump.

Tara's stomach fluttered. She loved it when Willow called her "darling". Every time Willow called her that she grew more confident. Willow did like her. Willow thought about her just as much as she did. Willow cared. Tara hadn't been this happy in so long.

At first Tara was afraid of being with Willow because of what it meant. Willow was still in the closet and she was only able to admit to herself that she was gay after she had left her ex. The break up was in the very beginning of the year, but it had been Willow's first boyfriend so of course she took it hard. Tara was afraid of getting in the way of Willow's recovery period of the break up. She had no desire to be a rebound. Well okay that wasn't entirely true. She would take whatever Willow could offer her, she could be her friend, a hook up or a lover. She just wanted to be with Willow for however long she could have and she would be grateful for that. She just couldn't stand the thought of Willow holding anyone else's hand if she did indeed decide to move on.

When Willow called her "Darling" it always brought her back. Her fears of their relationship dissipated and she felt reassured that Willow wanted to be with her. She was grounded by those words and Willow knowing this, did her best to constantly reassure her.

" I am" Tara replied.

"Okay good, we're almost there" Willow stated.

The red-head changed her pace so that she was no longer leading and now walked in stride with her girlfriend. She smiled and leaned in to brush Tara's cheek with her lips.

"Did I tell you today how beautiful you look?" the red head teasingly asked.

Tara blushed and shook her head 'no' and looked down at her shoes.

"You are so beautiful" Willow whispered as if it were a secret she only wanted Tara to know, because in truth it was Tara who needed to hear this secret the most.

Tara felt a shiver pass through her, she looked up and Willow smiled warmly at her.

"…and you are lovely" Tara whispered back.

She was so happy. So very happy.

Last edited by nightmask on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 6/15/14)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:53 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: I'm just going to update sporadically and see where it goes

Part three:

"Tara, come help me?"

Tara followed the voice of her grandmother into the warm kitchen. It was the first night of Hannukah Tara was going to experience in her seven years. Tara's father and her older brother Donnie had gone on a fishing trip for two weeks, leaving Tara in the care of her grandmother. Tara's mother had been brought up Jewish, but Tara's father refused to acknowledge this. He brought his children up as Christians and Tara's mother could not disobey him.

Tara stood in the doorway of the small kitchen and breathed in the heady scent of fried food bubbling on the stove. She watched her grandmother's back as she moved the pan around and changed the settings on different knobs. Tara twisted the hem of her shirt in her hands, something she always did when she was nervous.

"Um… are you s-sure I w-won't get in trouble?" Tara asked sheepishly.

It felt silly asking her grandmother this, but she feared the wrath of her father more than anything. Her grandmother turned her head to look at Tara cowering in the doorway. Tara's grandmother was a strong scottish woman with a thick accent. Her parents had been scottish and syrian. After her husband passed, she received income by doing the laundry for all of her neighbors in the apartment complex. From all of this manual labor Tara's grandmother had incredible upper body strength and had a reputation for accidentally ripping the handles off of car doors. No one. No one messed with Tara's grandmother.

Her grandmother took a deep breath and set down the wooden spoon she was holding across the pan.

"It's Hannukah. This may be the only Jewish holiday I get to celebrate with you. So if your dad thinks he can bully me around he's got another thing coming. Now this is our secret and he's never going to find out. I promise you. I'll keep you safe little one".

Tara wanted to cry her grandmother was the only person she felt safe with. Her father and brother always glared at her and ignored her questions and even berated her for her stutter. It was a blessing that she had been left here while her father took Donnie with him. Tara finally walked into the kitchen and ran to hug her grandmother. Her grandmother laughed and enveloped her in her strong arms. She kissed Tara's forehead and wiped away her tears with the end of her apron.

"Now roll up your sleeves and you can help me measure things out".

Willow opened the door for Tara and a bell rung announcing the entrance of new customers. Two Boots was a pizza place in a cafe setting. There were about a dozen different chairs spread about the vicinity and all of the desks were wooden and antique looking. Tara smiled at the quirky aesthetic of the place. Willow reached into her back pocket and took out her wallet.

"N-No… W-Willow please you don't have to p-pay for me" Tara tried to get out.

Willow shook her head, "Uh uh. I just got my paycheck from work study. I'm paying for this one. You can pay for the next one".

Tara sighed and gave up. Willow spoiled her too much. The red-head claimed it gave her a sense of pride to be able to pay for "her girl". Tara always fought to pay for herself and sometimes she won. It was almost a silly game of who would get to pay each time they went out. It both made them happy to be able to do something nice for each other. They walked up to the counter where a selection of different pizza options were shown through glass. A woman with black hair in a bun and heavy eyeliner smiled at them from behind the counter.

"Do you know what you want?" she asked, her eyes hovering over both of the girls.

Willow looked at Tara, "Know what you want hun?"

I'd like to order a slice of Willow, Large coke and lots of extra napkins please.

"Uh yea.." Tara said and pointed at the margarita pizza, "I'd like this one please".

"How many slices?" The woman asked putting disposable gloves on her hands.

"Um… j-just one" Tara replied.

The woman cut a slice from the pie and put it into the brick oven behind her to re-heat the slice.

"And I'll have two slices of the pizza with the pineapple on it" Willow proclaimed while balancing on her tip toes.

"You're s-such a goof" Tara whispered to Willow.

"Shush I'm excited" Willow smiled and winked at Tara.

Tara leaned in and gave Willow a peck on the cheek and withdrew before the woman behind the counter turned around.

"Will that be all?" The woman asked.

"Um we'd also like two root beers please" Willow added knowingly.

Tara smiled, Willow and her both liked root beer, it was like they were made for each other.

"Alright, that'll be eight dollars and fourty cents" the cashier announced.

"Okie dokes!" Willow replied producing a ten dollar bill.

The cashier gave Willow the change and two bottles of root beer and both girls went to go find a seat to wait for their pizza.

"I'm paying next time" Tara repeated, grinning at the red-head sitting across from her.

"Oh very well" Willow smiled, feigning defeat.

Tara twisted the top off of her soda and took a long swig. The sugary drink ran down her throat and she relaxed a little more. Willow always knew how to make her feel comfortable wherever they went. Willow struggled with her bottle cap, her hand kept sliding instead of getting a good grip.

"Here, let me" Tara offered and Willow relinquished the bottle.

Tara gave a good twist and the cap came right off. Willow stared at her astounded.

"How d'you always do that?" Willow wondered aloud.

Tara grinned and blushed a little bit.

"I used to h-help my grandma do l-laundry by hand. I w-would w-wring out the wet clothes. S-So I'm just good at it from practice I-I guess" her face reddened more as she explained.

"Gosh, who knew I was dating Xena the warrior princess?" Willow quipped.

Tara took another swig of her drink before countering, "and w-what does that m-make you Gabrielle?".

Both giggled at the idea.

"I'll be your Gabrielle if you be my Xena" Willow suggested jokingly, raising her eyebrows.

This made Tara burst out in laughter. Thankfully the restaurant was pretty vacant and no one seemed to have heard them.

"Y-You've g-got yourself a deal".

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 6/17/14)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:19 pm 
8. Vixen

Dibs!!!

This is a really cute story so far! I'd love to see more.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:04 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Vampyregurl73: Thank you! I hope you like the next part [:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:26 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: This part is a full flash back, the next update will return to the present.

Part four:

Tara Maclay woke up early the day before she turned sixteen. She had work today. A part time job at the barn down the street. She was the new stable-hand, everyday after school and on the weekends. At least it gave her a reason to not show up to church. Her father and Donnie were probably driving there right now. Donnie was the part time manager for her father's business, so he didn't have to work on the weekends.

Tara sighed and forced herself to get up. She had given herself an hour to be ready. Groggily she made her way into the bathroom to shower. When the water began to run cold within a few minutes she reluctantly got out. Donnie had used up all the hot water again. Tara began to get dressed, knowing that she should wear clothes she wouldn't miss. They would probably be ruined by the end of the day. She pulled on a pair of old jeans and a brown flannel shirt. Finally she put on a pair of big blue socks before slipping on her worn out riding boots. She adjusted her glasses and looked at herself in the mirror and smirked.

"You're looking very Clark Kent today" she thought to herself.

She went through the rest of her morning routine, checking the clock on the wall the whole time. She did not want to be late. Her father would be furious if she was. With twenty minutes to spare Tara closed the front door behind her and locked it before heading down the road to the barn. Tara zipped up her brother's hand-me-down sweater and shivered as a fall breeze alerted her that it was in fact October. Seventeen minutes to spare and she was at the front door when her boss, Thomas, opened it to greet her.

"Hey there, good on you for bein' early. We've got a lot to do and you've still got about five hours 'till your lunch break" Thomas announced in greeting Tara.

Thomas was a nice man, but he made Tara a little uneasy. He always wore an expression like he was upset or something, so it was hard to read him. He owned a large few acres of land where riding rings had been set up adjacent to the horse barn out back. There he offered riding lessons and horse stables for rent. Tara was in charge of all of the work that needed to be done in the barn. She was the only help Thomas could afford to hire at the moment but he was able to pay her a decent amount. He handed Tara a yellow piece of note book paper with blue lines running through it. On it was a list of chores that need to be done that day. Tara nodded quietly and took the paper before trekking up the hill to her work station.

The barn was caked in dust and cobwebs, it smelt of manure, pine wood and hay. The smells were comforting, Tara could pretend she was a stable boy on a remote island with only a princess for company. Or that maybe she was huntress of the dark lands sent by the elven queen to complete an arduous task of bravery with the help of her trusty steed. Or that she was Clark Kent, living in a farm town with no one seeing how different she was. But she was no superman, she was not special, she could not save anyone. She couldn't even save herself.

Thomas allowed Tara to play the radio while she worked, just so long as the horses weren't bothered by it. Tara was grateful for this, it always made work more bearable. She located the dusty radio on top of a tack box and turned it on. At first she heard nothing and then after fiddling with the volume music began to pour out. She raised the volume and checked that the horses were still calm before setting the radio down and starting on her first task.

Led Zepplin's "Babe I'm gonna leave you" had only just begun and Tara hummed along as she swept out the tack room.

It started out soft as a voice trickled in crooning the word "Baby" over and over again. The radio crackled at the set volume, but the singing was still mostly coherent. Knowing that the barn was empty at this hour Tara sung along. When she was little her father would drive Donnie and her into town to get something and on the ride over he would sing this to them. It used to scare her, that maybe her father meant it this time, that he was going to leave her on the side of the road and never come back. Her family wasn't the best, but it was all she had ever known. Being neglected was perhaps better than being altogether abandoned. She was never brave enough to find out.

"Babe… Baby... Baby I'm gonna… leave you…"

Tara began to muck out the empty stalls as the song progressed.

"I'll leave you in the summertime, leave you when the summer comes a-rollin' , leave you when the summer comes along…"

Foot steps echoed down the cobble stone walkway of the barn, they were the soft clacking of a woman's heels. Tara continued singing as she worked, losing herself in the process.

"I ain't jokin' woman… I got to ramble…"

A woman listened from inside the stall next to the one Tara was working in.

"I can hear it calling' me the way it used to… I can hear it… calling' me back home…"

Tara was abruptly interrupted by a soft rapping on the stable door. She spun around to see one of the riding instructors grinning at her obvious embarrassment.

"Hey T you missin' me already?" the woman commented, crossing her arms.

Tara tried to speak as her face grew hot and red.

"Oh… U-Um… I-I… I-It's j-just…" she stammered.

The woman winked at her ignoring the fact that the girl in front of her was too flustered to form words behind the barrier of her stutter.

"Today's officially my last day… how 'bout we play some Smith?"

Tara took a moment to register the woman standing in front of her. She had wavy long brown hair and brown eyes. Her make up was dark but subtle. She stood with a confidence that was slightly arrogant but surprisingly friendly and approachable.

Tara nodded at her friend and motioned to the radio, "I think s-some of your CD's are still in the t-tack box"

Her friend smiled at her and turned to open the tack box.

Tara's eyebrows knitted in concern, "I am g-going to m-miss you Faith"

Faith didn't turn around and continued to search through the tack box.

"Yea I guess I'll miss your ass too" Faith teased.

Tara smiled. Faith was leaving today. Her father was moving next week to a new town, dragging her along for the ride. Faith was Tara's only friend at her job. She made Tara feel comfortable and had even succeeded in rubbing some confidence off on the young woman. She was the first person and only person, Tara had come out to. Tara was afraid of being alone again with no one to talk to about being queer in a small town. Faith had made Tara promise to be strong when she left.

"Ah hah!" Faith exclaimed retrieving her Patti Smith CD.

Faith always talked about Patti Smith like she was magic. Smith was reckless. She didn't care what people thought of her. She rebelled and questioned everything. Her music was raw and strange working in streams of consciousness and noisy rock and roll. She worshiped the poet Arthur Rimbaud, and she fueled Faith's life. Faith swore everything good could happen during a Patti Smith song.

Tara grinned, "Um a-are you still coming by l-later… I m-mean you don't h-have to if you d-don't want to…".

Faith shook her head, " 'Course I'm commin'. I wanna be there when you turn sixteen officially".

Tara nodded, grateful Faith had kept their plans. Faith was supposed to come over for dinner tonight. Tara's father and Donnie had been invited to an all night Barbecue so everything worked out. It was probably the last time Tara was going to see Faith before the move.

Faith put her hand on her hip, "Stop looking so damn sad all the time. You're gonna forget me in two weeks. Trust me" she chided.

Tara shook her head and blushed, "I could n-never… f-forget you".

Faith shot her a skeptical look before placing her CD in the disc player of the radio and pressing play. She removed her jacket throwing it over one of the saddles on the stable door before stalking into Tara's stable.

"Take me now baby here as I am… pull me close try and understand…"

Faith began to mouth the words while Tara giggled nervously. Faith moved in closer sweeping Tara up in her arms and they spun in circles singing along to Patti Smith.

"Come on now try and understand. The way I feel when I'm in your hands. Take my hand come undercover. They can't hurt you now, can't hurt you now, can't hurt you now".

Faith knocked on the front door of the Maclay house at exactly eleven thirty pm, the hour her and Tara had decided on. Donnie and Tara's father were still out, probably having a few drinks at the bar. They would most likely stumble home a few hours after midnight, which by then Tara would be asleep and Faith gone. Tara opened the door and greeted Faith as she entered. The house was dark, only the kitchen light was on as Faith followed Tara's lead down the dark hallway. On the kitchen table Tara had a stack of pancakes waiting, with two plates and two steaming mugs of hot apple cider. Faith beamed, she lived for Tara's pancakes. Besides Tara, her pancakes were one of the things Faith would miss most of all after she left. Faith and Tara sat down on either side of the table. Faith began to empty the pockets of her jacket. First she took out her pack of cigarettes and laid the box on the table. Next a small silver flask that she set down next to the cigarettes and finally a small white box bound by red string. Tara offered Faith her homemade pancake syrup and they both quietly poured themselves a fair amount. Faith blew softly on her cider before taking a sip and then setting it down. She smiled at Tara and pushed the white box across the table towards her friend.

"Happy birthday T " she whispered.

Tara smiled, but her eyes flickered with unshed tears. This was really the end. She was going to lose one of her best friends. With trembling hands Tara unwound the red string and opened the box. There lay a pack of thin white sage candles.

"Got 'em made special cause I know they don't normally come that thin, but I wanted it to be like a birthday candle y'know?" Faith explained grinning.

Tara nodded and smiled, "Faith t-thank you… ".

Faith nodded satisfied that Tara liked her gift.

"You know what sage is for right?" she asked picking up one of the candles from the box and examining it.

Tara nodded, "It's used for c-cleansing of energy right?".

Faith gave Tara a mysterious look, "It is… but these candles are meant for protection".

Tara's eyes widened as she suddenly understood. Faith knew. She had always known. The secret abuse that went on in this house. She knew not to push Tara to tell her. She stood there as a safety blanket waiting for Tara if ever she needed her. Now that she was leaving she wanted to keep Tara protected.

Tara tried to express how much this meant to her, but words caught in her throat. To say it out loud would be to admit to herself how bad her life was at that moment. The house would quietly echo it back to her and she would be lost.

"Don't crumble to salt on me" Faith whispered in warning.

Faith handed Tara the candle she was holding and Tara felt the waxy texture inside her palm. She could feel it's power, it was warm. Faith picked up another candle and impaled it in the stack of pancakes. Tara almost started giggling at the silly gesture. Faith took out her cheap lighter with the painted mermaid on it and clicked it, igniting the candle. The single flame illuminated Tara's face creating a soft halo. A steady stream of smoke wafted up and the smell reminded Tara of her cooking with her grandmother. The sage was kind to her.

"Make a wish, T" Faith suggested.

Tara closed her eyes and blew out her candle while a thought came to mind.

The kitchen was dim again and Faith smiled. She removed the candle and set it back in the box. Faith then picked up a knife and began piling on a stack of pancakes on each of their plates. She began to divide and conquer each bite on the end of her fork. They ate in silence for a few minutes. Faith unscrewed the cap to the silver flask a poured half of it's contents into her drink, she then took a swig of the now warm cider. She moved to offer Tara the rest of the alcohol and surprisingly Tara quietly gave her the go ahead. Faith poured a generous amount into her mug and then withdrew the flask. Tara took small sips, pacing herself.

"So birthday girl… what did you wish for?" Faith teased.

"If I t-tell you it w-won't happen…" Tara mused, her cheeks grew slightly red from the liquor which she suspected was rum.

"Tell me… and I'll make it happen…" Faith gently offered.

Tara gave a long sigh, "I… It's dumb… I w-wished that I could f-fall in l-love..".

Faith frowned, she couldn't exactly make that happen.

She took Tara's hand in her own, "Tara honey, you are going to meet someone someday and they're going to be wonderful. I swear to you, you will get out of this shit show of a town and you will find love".

Tara gave Faith's hand a squeeze and tried to finish the last of her pancakes, wishing Faith was right.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 6/20/14)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:22 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: There are implications of Tara's abusive relationship with her father.

Part Five:

" The objective is once you find a bone try to see if you can identify it on your chart…" the teacher instructed, holding out a copy of the laminated chart she had given out to the class.

Eight Year old Tara Maclay stared intently at the owl pellet on her desk.

It was four weeks until school ended. Fourth grade would be over and she would have to endure another summer locked in her room all day. Her father would only unlock it when he got home for dinner and if he was in a bad mood he would leave her in there all night. This tradition started when he found out about the stories she had secretly written. Stories where her mother miraculously appeared and took Tara away. Now everyday when she got home her father would dump her school bag out on the kitchen table and go through all of her note books. If she wrote anymore stories he swore she'd be sleeping outside for the next week. Tara didn't know why she wrote those stories. She felt horrible about writing them when she saw how upset it made her father.

Her teacher had pulled her aside a few times during recess when she saw the bruises on her legs and marks on her arms. Tara quietly explained that she bruised easily and often tripped in her driveway. This wasn't an entire lie, she did bruise easily. Her teacher let it go, but continued to keep a close eye on Tara. Tara was afraid to tell her teacher that the bruises were from when her father pushed her to the ground or down the stairs when he was mad. Sometimes she even took punishment upon herself banging rocks against her legs and scratching her arms with her nails.

Tara did her best not to write stories anymore, but the urge was too great. She came up with a secret code which acted as a language only she could decipher. During recess she would write in this secret language while hiding behind a big oak tree. Just before recess would end she would fold the paper up into the tiniest square. Then she would lift up the sole of her shoe and stick the paper in before putting her shoe back on. When she got home she would run to her room and wait until nightfall to take the folded paper out and hide it underneath the floorboards. The stories saved her.

Tara took the plastic knife on her desk and cut the pellet in half as instructed. She was the only girl in the class brave enough to breakup the pellet with her hands. She dug and sifted through the pile of entrails until she felt something hard. She uncovered it until she realized she was holding a tiny bone. This delighted her so she kept digging but found nothing more. A boy a few tables away had discovered what he believed to be the skull of a mouse. Tara frowned wishing she could have found a skull. When the lesson ended the children began to clean up their stations.

"Bring everything you found up to me and we'll go over our lesson after recess"

Tara looked up at the teacher and then at the tiny bone in her hand. She didn't want to give up her finding, so she slipped it into her shirt pocket and joined the rest of the children lining up to wash their hands at the sink.

At recess Tara sat with her back against the big oak tree and took out the tiny bone to examine it. She was unable to identify it on her chart, it was a mystery to what the creature had been before the owl swallowed it whole. When she got home she ran to her room as usual eager to examine the bone again. When she reached into her pocket the bone was gone.

Willow had gotten up to collect their pizza order when the song in the background ended and Patti Smith began to play. Tara's eyes widened and she smiled, she knew this song. She thought of Faith's promise and gazed over at Willow making her way back to the table. The red-head held two plastic plates in her hands, she smiled when she meet Tara's gaze. Willow set Tara's pizza down before her and then sat down in her own chair. Tara instinctively pulled out a wad of napkins from the dispenser, giving half to her girlfriend.

"Thanks" Willow grinned.

The music picked up pace as the singer took up the lyrics. It was one of Tara's favorite Patti Smith songs.

"She is benediction, she is addicted to thee, she is the root connection, she is connecting with he…"

Tara leaned in to talk to Willow, "y-you know this is a Patti Smith s-song"

"Here I go and I don't know why, I fell so ceaselessly, could it be he's taking over me…"

Willow turned her head slightly and raised her eyebrows, trying to listen to the song. She could not identify it, but the song entranced her.

"I'm dancing barefoot, heading in a spin, some strange music draws me in, makes me come on like some heroine..."

"I've never heard of her" Willow admitted, "but I think I like this song".

Tara smiled, perhaps this was a sign. Of what she wasn't sure, but she knew it was sign. Everything good could happen during a Patti Smith song. Or so Faith had claimed.

Tara lifted the pizza off her plate and took a bite. The sauce was warm and the bread crunchy, the mozzarella cheese was practically falling off the sauce. Tara grinned knowing she had made the right choice on her pizza. She sipped her soda and then directed her attention back to Willow. Her date was wolfing done her first slice of her pineapple pizza and she had no intention of stopping. Willow had a somewhat fast metabolism so Tara had grown used to witnessing the small red-head devour food whenever she could.

"Is… is it g-good?" Tara wondered aloud.

Willow nodded fervently, "mmf… it's so good".

Tara grinned, Willow finished her first slice and was working up to her second when she stopped to look across the table at Tara.

Willow blushed at her lack of table manners, "sorry… I uh didn't have breakfast and I was up early…", she set her second slice back down on the plate in an attempt to eat at Tara's pace.

Tara waved her hand dismissively, "oh n-no… it's t-totally okay".

Willow raised an eyebrow and looked down at Tara's plate, she had only taken one bite of her pizza.

"How's yours?" Willow inquired.

Tara nodded, "it's good… I-I um I just eat s-slow" she took a bigger bite and set her slice down.

"Would you like to try mine?" Willow offered, holding up her slice to Tara.

Tara blushed, "um n-no t-that's okay, but thank you".

Willow finished her second slice within a few minutes while Tara worked on her slice slowly. When Willow was done she focused on finishing off her soda while she watched Tara eat. Tara was more nervous than she was letting on. With only a few bites of her pizza she was full. There wasn't enough room for food with the moths flapping around in her stomach. She offered her girlfriend the crust, unable to finish her food. She had no idea how Willow could be so calm on their first date, but she knew the red-head was most likely a jumble of nerves just like her. Willow munched on Tara's crust while Tara finished her drink.

When they were done they stood up to deposit their plates on the counter and to throw their glass bottles in the recycling. They left the restaurant and Willow took Tara's hand in hers.

Tara gazed up at her shyly, "s-so… where to now?".

Her heart had sped up at the idea of going back to her room. The possibility of their first kiss waited there for her and she was terrified. Willow gave Tara's hand a squeeze seeing the apprehension on her girlfriend's face and in her body language. She gave Tara's hand a small tug in the opposite direction of the dorms.

"I have to deposit my work study check at the bank up on Charles Street, do you want to come with me?"

Tara nodded, she inhaled with relief. She was turning into a nervous mess. She wanted to kiss Willow, but she was afraid. Kissing seemed like such an awkward act she was sure she would somehow do everything wrong and drive Willow away.

Tara followed Willow's lead down the street past the train station platform and on to Charles Street.

"It will be okay darling" Willow suddenly whispered in her ear.

Tara's breathing stopped for a moment to feel Willow breathing into her ear. She felt chills run up her shoulders. Tara was grateful for Willow's ability to know what she was thinking. The red-head always knew how to reassure her or calm her down. Tara knew now that she definitely wanted to kiss Willow, she would be brave this time and not shy away.

Last edited by nightmask on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 6/23/14)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:23 pm 
8. Vixen

More please?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:07 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Vampyregurl73: Of course! Sorry it took me a while. I'm starting my summer job so I've just been a little busy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:18 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Rating: Mostly PG -13/ Warning for this chapter there is adult language and implications of abuse.
Notes: Super angsty flashback. Just a heads up.

Part six:

The kitchen was dark, the hour still early. The time before light remembers it is needed. Tara stood barefoot on the cold tiled floor, her boots clenched in one hand, striped socks balled up in the other. A man stood across from her, a man who she was to bound to as "daughter". This man was thin and wiry his features worn. Skin wrinkled and fell on his old face. Shadows gathered in the places between his eyes and the bridge of his nose. His hair a graying brown. Tara cowered before this man, even though she now stood at his height. She was seventeen and he well into his late fifties. She was trembling. Her eyes on her bare feet, not brave enough to meet his hateful gaze. She forgot for a moment why she was standing in the kitchen with no shoes on and why her father was looking down at her. She looked at the book that had been previously thrown at her feet and she remembered.

"You're an embarrassment. You fucking piece of shit"

Tara's body shook, her teeth clenched. Willing every inch of her fiber to remain still.

Do not crumble to salt. Do not crumble to salt. Do not crumble to salt.

The book that lay at her feet was her diary. The clasp was broken. It was too late to deny anything. She had written most of her entries in her coded language but she knew he had figured it out. She wondered how long he must have spent decoding everything she had written down. All of her thoughts. All of her fears. All of her desires. Everything she had commanded to remain silent was now betrayed. He knew everything.

Tara's breathing quickened her body quaked in tremors. Her shoulders spasmed. Breathing hurt as she tried to take in gulps of air. She was terrified.

"I will not have this bullshit in my house. You're fucking trash."

Tears were beginning to brim over her eyelids. She couldn't breathe. She kept swallowing but the earthquake would not subside.

"Leave" he spoke quietly.

Tara couldn't move.

"Leave" he roared.

The veins in his neck popped, his face grew red. His teeth bared.

He moved to close the distance between them. To push her, to kick her, to beat her.

Tara fled.

She ran out the kitchen floor, her eyes overflowing. Vision blurred. A scream of anguish caught in her throat.

She ran to the barn down the street. Not bothering to stop and put her shoes on.

Fight or flight. Salt or stone. Scream or silence. Be quiet. Daddy will have his way.

Dust gathered around her as the sun was moving upwards blending into the horizon line.

It was over it was all over. All secrets revealed. He knew everything. She was nothing. All of her words she had sacrificed were broken. Silence was betrayed. She was dissected. She was nothing.

Her cheeks burned as the salt teemed over past her fluttering eyelids. The traitorous tears burned past her chin and down her throat.

Everyone was asleep. Everyone but him.

Tara ran past the horse barn and further on to the top of the grassy hill. The sun was gathering strength as it moved higher into the sky. It blinded her.

Tara screamed. She screamed to a god she was afraid to believe in. She screamed for Faith to come back home. She screamed for the mother she never met. She cried out for her grandmother that she knew would leave her too someday.

She fell asleep there in the cool wet grass. Her body warm, her head pounding. Her throat sore.

She was nudged awake by her boss, Thomas. He stood over her, blocking the sun with his tall frame. Thomas said nothing. He stared strangely at the boots and socks cradled protectively in Tara's arms.

Tara rubbed at her eyes and began to shake. Would Thomas be mad at her too now?

Her boss bent over and brought Tara up to her feet. He steadied her and looked her in the eye.

Her cheeks were red and her eyes were swollen.

Again he remained silent and Tara was grateful. She didn't think she could speak to him.

He walked Tara back to his house and made her sit down at the kitchen table while he lit a cigarette and began preparing coffee. Tara sat in the wooden chair and stared down at the table her hair hiding her face. She was humiliated.

Thomas set a mug of coffee down in front of Tara. She carefully cupped the mug with both hands and watched the steam travel upwards. Her body was still suffering the tremors of the aftershock.

Thomas leaned his back against the sink counter and looked down at Tara.

"Try to drink it. You'll feel better" he offered.

He took a sip of his own and stroked the bristles of unshaven hair on his chin.

Tara gazed into her mug. The color was a light brown. Thomas had used a large amount of milk and sugar. A small act of kindness.

Tara gratefully sipped it and could feel the gripping numbness in her body begin to thaw.

"You can get to work when you feel you're ready or you can stay here for the day. Whatever you want." Thomas stated. He then turned and tucked the back of his shirt into his pants as he walked out the back door.

Tara sat and waited for her shaking body to calm down. She sipped more coffee. Her leg bouncing up and down violently. She allowed herself ten minutes to pull herself together. She needed to get back to work. She hated Thomas seeing her like this. She had to distract herself with mindless hours of work. Finishing the last of her coffee, Tara got up and set her mug in the kitchen sink. She pulled on her striped socks and laced up her worn out boots. Taking a long unsteady breath, she followed Thomas' path out the back door and walked slowly over to the horse barn.

It was around eight PM when Tara finished for the day. Thomas had offered her a place on the couch for the night. She quietly accepted. It was strange how she hadn't told him anything and yet he knew why he had found her asleep on his hill, her face dirty and tear streaked. Like Faith he was there if she needed him. He didn't ask questions and he knew what Tara was afraid of.

Thomas had set a plate of dinner out for Tara on the table when she returned from the barn that night. Thomas lived alone. His son was off at college, his wife had left him years ago. Thomas had already eaten. Tara couldn't bring herself to stomach food. She found a box of saran wrap and covered the plate with a sheet of it before putting it in the fridge. Thomas would understand.

Tara crept quietly into the dark living room where the couch was already set up with a blanket and pillow. Her body was weary and ready to collapse. She attempted to unlace her boots but quickly gave up. She roughly yanked her boots off and set them beside the coffee table. She lay down and gathered the blanket close to her body. She turned on her side so that she faced the inside of the couch and let sleep take her.

It was three in the morning when a light burned past Tara's eyelids. The offending man-made light roused her and she sat up on the couch. The light was coming in from the screen door. It was coming from the headlights of a truck. A white truck. Her father's truck.

Tara rubbed at her eyes clearing her vision, before putting her glasses on, confirming that it was indeed her father's truck. She moved the blanket aside and moved to put her boots on. She quickly unlaced them and sunk her feet into the well molded leather. She left the laces untied as she walked quietly towards the screen door. Her father was sitting in his truck. He was looking straight ahead. The only noise between them was the sound of the car running.

Although she was afraid, Tara felt compelled to walk out the door to see what he wanted. Her body moved on it's own as it opened the passenger door and she got in. She turned to him and his eyes flickered over to her. She belonged to him, no matter how hard she tried she could not deny this simple truth. He made her and she had to obey him. Mr. Maclay took his foot off the break and the truck began to roll slowly down the road at a creeping pace.

Tara looked in the back seat of the truck. A large duffel bag lay in the backseat overstuffed with all of her clothes and her few possessions. All of her belongings fit into a single bag.

"I'm taking you to your grandmother's. You'll be my burden no longer".

Tara's heart raced.

Her grandmother's house? She could live with her grandmother? Finally? After all these years she could live with the one person whom she truly felt loved her.

She thought for a moment of the stories hidden under the floorboards of her room. She longed for a moment to retrieve them, but they did not belong to her anymore. They belonged to the house she grew up in. They now became a curse. A curse on the house that was never a home.

Tara's father stopped in front of her grandmother's apartment. He got out and opened the back door, pulling the heavy duffel bag out and onto the curb. Tara opened her door and stepped out onto the warm pavement feeling strangely numb.

Her father drove away without speaking a word, her grandmother looked on the scene from her apartment window before going down to help Tara move in with her.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 6/30/14)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:49 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
The interaction between the girls as they are starting to date and their relationship grows is very sweet. It is funny to think how nervous one can get over the inevitable first kiss. They know they like each other and still fret. I am finding your flashbacks and brief windows into Tara's past to be really interesting and well developed. You are creating vivid almost still frames from her life providing insight and depth to Tara in these concise pieces. They are powerful without being overwhelming and provide a great framework and foundation to continue to build your story from and within. Do you think, even though canon wise we have a better image of Willow's life, that you might do the same for the Willow in your fic? It would be interesting to see you insights and images into what makes Willow tick as well.
I am enjoying reading this and seeing how the story develops.
-H.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:11 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Loislane1: I'm so glad you're enjoying the story so far. Thank you for the insightful and helpful feedback! I like your suggestion about introducing Willow's perspective into the story. At first I wanted to write this story from Tara's point of view because that is how we understand most relationships. We only get to see our side of the situation and the person we are with can at times be a stranger to us. I like the challenge of writing for Willow so I think I'm going to give it a try and see it where it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:37 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: I've decided to explore Willow's perspective and past at this point in the story.

Part Seven:

Willow's hand was warm in her own.

Tara's hands had always been cold for some reason, something to do with poor blood circulation. Her grandmother had the same problem. They would always laugh in winter when their fingers turned purple from this condition. It was a simple thing they shared and it made Tara glad to have part of her grandmother in her genes. Willow always fretted about Tara's hands and their lack of heat. Tara often joked that it was a good excuse to hold the red-head's hand. Willow reasoned that Tara never needed an excuse to hold her hand.

The couple walked down the long blocks of Charles street, passing restaurants and clothing boutiques with different displays for the spring season.

"So how was your Renaissance through 1855 class yesterday?" Willow asked with true curiosity.

"W-Well I told you how m-my class is pretty full right?" Tara asked making sure they were on the same page.

Willow nodded so that Tara could continue.

"I really like m-my teacher, s-she's really funny, but s-sometimes I think she doesn't know um who I am" Tara said looking down at her shoes while they walked.

Willow knew that Tara was not always confident with herself. She tried her best to bring Tara out of her comfort zone when she needed it but would always be there if Tara needed support.

Willow turned her face slightly, "What do you mean?"

"Well I raise m-my h-hand a lot in her class b-but she hardly ever calls on me… she's always calling on this other girl and her b-boyfriend who sit in the f-front row. I know it's a large class so it m-must be hard to learn everyone's names, but um whenever she does call on me… sh-she doesn't remember my name".

Willow frowned. She knew Tara was passionate about art history. She always came back from class with exceptional grades, but only because she spent weeks studying and preparing. Willow knew that Tara had wanted to pursue a degree in something like archaeology or ancient history. She knew how Tara loved finding things and identifying them and decoding them.

Tara loved secrets, especially the ones she shared with Willow. She remembered Thursday night when Tara shared with her the secret code language she had made when she was younger. They had spent that night under Tara's blanket with a flashlight and Tara wrote out the different symbols and then the corresponding letter of the alphabet. She told Willow that she had an hour to memorize it and then they would have to burn the paper so no one would find out. Willow quickly memorized the language, silently amused that Tara took this so seriously. When she was done Tara opened her bedside window and set fire to the paper, holding it at an angle until all but the corner of the page was burnt. Then Tara crumpled it up and threw it away.

"It will be our language now" Tara had promised.

"Does it have a name?" Willow asked with playful curiosity.

"Of course it d-does. It's called Yoodle Fizzle" Tara replied seriously.

Willow grinned, "Tara Maclay did you just make that up?" she whispered.

"N-no" Tara replied trying to remain serious but she fell into giggles as did Willow.

"You totally did" Willow whispered back accusingly.

She kissed Tara on the tip of her nose and they both started laughing all over again.

"Well she's a dummy if she doesn't remember your name" Willow remarked.

"Oh n-no Willow, y-you sh-shouldn't say that… sh-she's really nice" Tara said defensively.

"I know. I know, but she really should know your name by now" Willow grumbled.

Tara gave Willow's hand a reassuring squeeze, wishing that she shouldn't worry so much as they continued down the block. The clouds ahead were growing dark and beginning to rumble. The couple turned right as they reached their destination. Willow let go of Tara's hand so that she could get to the envelope in her cardigan pocket. She opened it and took out her work study check and began tapping numbers into the bank's ATM. Tara stood back letting Willow deposit her check. She watched the sky as people hurried along trying to escape the inevitable rain that was about to come down. Willow joined her a few moments later, the first drops of rain had begun to fall in a light drizzle.

Willow took Tara's hand in her own again, "ready to go hun?"

Tara nodded, she was ready.

"Willow honey, this is the third time I've had to tell you that I don't want you burning candles in your room" Willow's mother stood in her doorway, annoyance written upon her face.

Willow looked up sheepishly from where she was sitting at her mother. Her room was small and cluttered, books were piled against each wall and clothing was strewn about the floor. She was meticulously neat when it came to her school work, but her room was always messy. The den of a genius. She needed it that way. She needed a place she could make a mess in or she would go insane. She had a small yellow candle burning next to her laptop which was open. She had been e-mailing day and night. She was giddy from the recent correspondence with a certain someone.

"Sorry… I just don't see why you have such a problem with it…" Willow replied quietly.

Sheila crossed her arms over her bathrobe, "I don't want you to set the house on fire that's why. Now go to bed. I don't care who you're e-mailing it's three in the morning and you should be asleep".

Sheila walked away and into the kitchen obviously disgruntled with Willow's lack of obedience.

Willow's eyebrows furrowed, "I could say the same for you" she said to herself.

Sheila always got up at three in the morning. She had problems sleeping all throughout Willow's life. She would drink enough coffee in the morning to stay awake for two days, go to bed at eight at night and then wake up at three. It was no wonder to why her mother was always so cranky and went through such strange mood swings. Her father was sleeping on the couch in the living room again tonight. There was talk between her parents of a possible divorce. All they did recently was argue and fight. Ira, Willow's dad, had tried everything to make peace with Sheila but nothing seemed to work for long. Willow being the only child was stuck in the middle of everything. Both parents would come to her separately and lay all their problems on her, each talking badly about the other. Willow couldn't stand it. It was part of the reason she had not wanted to come home for spring break. The other reason was this girl she had been pining after all year. Tara Maclay, this beautiful girl in her Modern Folklore class. It was only recently that they had been given a reason to talk.

Willow had noticed Tara even before she broke up with Oz. When she had finally admitted to herself that she was in fact gay, it only made it harder not to notice Tara. Tara was beautiful. Her face was soft, her eyes a grayish blue like iron that promised safety. Her dark hair ran a little past her shoulders. In the beginning of the year Tara's hair had been bleached a white blonde. She had once overheard that Tara, for a few months before the school year, had dyed her hair a blueish-green. Since then the dye had come out she was left with the underlying bleach. Over the months her hair had returned to it's normal color of a raw umber brown.

Their modern folklore class began in the morning on a Thursday. Tara would always come in with her hair damp, having just taken a shower. Willow always took note of this because of how much darker the water made Tara's hair appear and the scent of her shampoo lingered in the air. Tara had slight cheekbones and heavy eye-lids. Willow loved looking at Tara's eye-lids, their heaviness made Tara look as if she were always in the midst of day dreaming. There was one time when Tara had come in a few minutes late to class. She had looked more self conscious than usual. That day Tara was wearing a black hoodie and worn out jeans, her hair was messy and her eyes were heavy with lack of sleep. Willow had to tear her eyes away. To her Tara looked the most beautiful in this state, messy, half-awake and disorganized. She imagined that this was what Tara would look like waking up each day.

Willow sadly e-mailed Tara a goodnight message and waited for her reply. She then blew out the candle and closed her laptop before getting into bed. Tara had told her in one of her messages from earlier that she had dreamed of a Willow a few nights ago. Willow pulled her blankets close to her and quietly wished for dreams of the woman she longed for.

The rain had become a light drizzle falling on the unlucky people who wandered below.

"We should probably head back now" Willow suggested.

Tara trembled slightly in anticipation and took Willow's offered hand as they walked back down Charles Street to return to the dorms. They reached the garden paths that led to the picnic area, from there was a short cut to Tara's dorm. Tara let go of Willow's hand and the red-head turned to her girlfriend for an explanation of the sudden action. Tara was on one knee and appeared to be in the middle of untying the laces of her worn out boots. Willow bent down in question.

"Uh Honey… what are you doing?"

Tara removed her shoe and pulled off her sock, before changing positions to undo her other boot. She looked up at Willow as she worked, her eyebrows raised.

"Take your shoes off" she whispered.

The rain pattered softly as it hit the path before them. Tara's glasses were dotted with tiny splatters of rain. The air was cool and relaxing. Willow began immediately removing her own shoes and socks. When Tara did something like this it was best to do what she said, for she was about to take you on an adventure.

Last edited by nightmask on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 7/04/14)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:31 pm 
8. Vixen

Nice update!

I like the little peeks into the girls' back stories; Tara last bit was so bittersweet and I like that you have her going to live with her grandmother. Give her someone that loves her to care for her even if it's only for a short time. And Willow's bit this time... good stuff.

My only nitpick is the eye color - Amber/Tara's eyes are blue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:52 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Vampyregurl73: Thank you for the feedback! I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Thank you for catching the eye color bit for me! I fixed it right away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:12 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: Life Stuff: So it's my second week at my new job working as an arts and crafts instructor and I'm having a lot of fun. Children are very scary at times, but I think I'm getting used to them.

Part eight:

The Rosenberg family had only recently moved into the neighborhood. It was fall and five year old Willow Rosenberg was in her third week of first grade. She was finishing her homework when through the kitchen window she could see her father in his heavy flannel jacket raking the leaves. Her mother was in her office sending a fax. Willow took this opportunity to sneak out of the kitchen. She opened the coat closet and took her red woolen sweater off one of the hooks and put it on. She opened the door and snuck up behind her father, grabbing his leg from behind and giggling. Willow's father swung her up in his arms and gave her a big hug.

"Would you like to help me Will?" her father asked, setting his daughter back down on the lawn.

Willow nodded eagerly.

"Alright hun, gather up all the leaves you can and put them in this garbage bag for me" her father instructed, pointing to the stray leaves on the grass.

Willow quickly jumped from one leaf to the next, making a game of it. She ran back to her father, a small pile of leaves gathered in her arms. She dropped them into the bag with a sense of accomplishment, she gazed up at her father for praise. He hoisted her up and spun her around before gently depositing her in the bag of leaves. She giggled as he pulled the bag up and swung it from side to side. Her stomach did flips while the leaves fluttered around her she laughed gleefully as her father tossed her into a pile of other bags. Willow landed softly and her father rushed over to be sure she was alright. He picked her up and carried her back into the house blowing raspberries on her stomach and making her squirm in delight.

Willow made quick work of removing her orange tennis shoes. She dug two fingers into the heel of each sneaker, easily holding them in one hand. Tara was waiting for her. They had both rolled their pants up, so that the bottom of the material wouldn't get wet. Willow was silently relieved that she had chosen to shave that morning. Tara had knotted the laces of her boots together and slung them over her shoulder. She gathered Willow's hand in her own. For once the red-head's fingers were icy from the cool air around them. As they walked they became submerged in a thick gray fog. Willow let herself be guided by the beautiful woman in front of her. Their footsteps were soft as they made tiny echoes, their bare skin moving patiently across the wet ground. She trusted Tara. She trusted her like she trusted her father that day in fall.

Willow shivered. The water she stepped on was like ice and it made the bones in her legs feel hollow and the bottom of her feet numb. It ached in the strangest way so that it almost felt good. Tara led them off the bicycle path and into the grass by the picnic tables. The grass tickled her feet as she stepped even more cautiously upon it wary of twigs and rough stones. Tara stopped in front of a tree with a knot hole in the middle. She leaned in close so that her lips brushed against Willow's ear and in a hushed voice Tara asked Willow to close her eyes. Willow complied, shivering from Tara's voice in her ear.

Tara reached into the shallow knot hole of the tree and drew something out. She took Willow's hand in her own, turning it over so the palm rested upright. She kissed Willow's cheek and bade her open her eyes. Willow opened her hand to find a hand-made necklace. The broken lip of a green bottle was formed into a ring shape and was sanded down so that the edges became smooth. Around the found glass was a thin string of twine. Willow looked up at Tara smiling.

"Thank you" she whispered, her voice was thick with emotion. Tara had made this for her.

Tara beamed, delighted that Willow liked her gift. It was meant to be a charm, so Willow would have a part of her. Tara gently plucked the necklace from Willow's open hand and moved to stand behind her. She placed the necklace around the red-head's neck and knotted the twine in the back. Willow brought her hand up to the ring, caressing it's glassy texture with her fingers. Willow turned around smiling fondly at Tara, she reached out and tucked a part of Tara's hair behind her ear. Her warm hands cupping Tara's cheek. Tara moved her face, leaning into Willow's palm and kissing it. Willow trembled, Tara's eyes were heavy as they fixated on her.

The words 'I love you' rumbled in her bones, but she dare not speak it. To speak or move would break the spell of the trance-like gaze Tara held her in.

Willow's body gravitated closer to Tara's, craving her warmth. She slid her arms inside Tara's jacket drawing her in and reveling in her warmth. Tara ran her hands through Willow's hair, resting her head on Willow's shoulder.

"I want to kiss you" Willow finally whispered.

Tara closed her eyes, her breath caught in her throat.

"I'm still nervous…" Tara whispered back, biting her lip.

She wanted to cry for being so stupidly afraid. She wanted to kiss Willow badly, but she was frozen.

Willow held Tara closer for a few more seconds before releasing her. She stepped back to look at Tara. The woman who stood across from her, had her head down. Tara looked so afraid and shy in that moment. Willow took Tara's hand in her own again.

"Let's go back to your dorm okay?" Willow offered, she began to lead the way. She wanted to make Tara feel safe. She knew she could do this if she took her back to her dorm.

"Willow… c-could you possibly… um k-kiss me first…" Tara requested faintly.

Willow nodded and leaned in to kiss Tara's cheek reassuringly, "of course, darling".

Tara breathed in deeply, relieved that they had some course of action despite the awkwardness.

Tara followed now as Willow led them back to the bicycle path, the rain began to grow heavier as gusts of wind swept through their damp hair and skin. They arrived at Tara's dorm and Tara fumbled in search of her keys. Willow boldly slipped her hand into Tara's back pocket, brushing unintentionally against her girlfriend's ass. Tara blushed as Willow produced her keys. The red-head unlocked the door and they wandered inside. Willow moved to Tara's bed and placed the keys on the night table. Tara stood in the closed doorway, she flicked the nose of the light switch down so that the window produced the only light, which was dim and gray. Tara moved to where Willow was sitting on her bed and set her boots on the floor.

Willow knowingly plugged in the wire of fairy lights strung against the wall, creating a soft un-hindering illumination. Tara enjoyed the fact that Willow felt so comfortable in her room. She was lucky enough to be living in a single, where as Willow had to share with her friend Buffy. Willow explained she enjoyed at times sharing a room with her best friend, but sometimes she needed as place that was just hers. That place used to be in the library hiding between book racks and losing herself in a novel. Now she had confessed that Tara's room had become the place she felt most at home. This made Tara happy. She had always wanted a home, all her life. She had only truly experienced it when she lived with her grandmother. In truth she loved taking care of Willow and it made her proud that the red-head had found a home within her life.

Tara sat next to Willow and took off her wet glasses and began to clean them with the end of her shirt. Willow busied herself with placing a pillow behind them so that they could lean comfortably against the wall. Tara put her glasses back on satisfied with the lack of blurriness and water. She then removed her jacket, draping it over one of the bedposts. Tara reached out and took Willow's hand and brought it to her cheek. Willow leaned in closer, her eyes flickering over Tara's face, studying her.

"I-I think you need t-to help me.. relax…" Tara suggested, feeling her heart race with Willow staring at her so intently.

"I can do that" Willow promised, caressing Tara's face with the back of her hand.

She took Tara's glasses off, folding them neatly and putting them away.

"Now it's your turn to close your eyes" Willow spoke with confidence.

Tara slowly closed her eyes and leaned her back against the pillow. She could feel Willow's body moving closer as the weight shifted on the mattress. Willow began to trace Tara's face with her index finger. She made gentle trails as she moved across her skin. Tara shivered as chills went up and down her spine. Willow took her time graphing every inch of Tara's face with her finger. This curious ache. This curious magnetic shiver coursed through Tara's skin. Tara's breathing hitched, her eyes threatening to open as Willow moved lower down her neck, then tracing part of her collarbone that stuck out of her shirt. Tara could feel Willow's nose grazing against the tip of her own and she moved a little closer, before drawing back, teasing Willow. Tara felt herself grow warm as her breathing grew steady and deep. When she sensed it was time her eyes fluttered open and Willow closed the distance pressing her lips softly against Tara's.

Tara's lips were slightly chapped, but Willow didn't seem to care. She deepened their kiss slightly before drawing back, giving Tara time to adjust. Tara wrapped her arms around Willow's neck, weaving her fingers through copper locks of hair. She pulled Willow to her again, kissing her. Tara drew Willow in deeper, the back of her head pressed against the wall as Willow leaned in further. Back and forth they went, enjoying the feeling of rough pressure. Willow's blood pounded, this was so much better than kissing a boy. Boys were sloppy, their lips wet and unsure sliding all over. Tara was steady and deep, nothing wet just the pulling and deepening of skin. Willow never wanted to let go. She didn't want to return to breathing.

Willow kissed Tara's jawline hungrily, Tara's eyes were half lidded her, her pupils rolling back in her head, noise threatened to come undone from their throat. She shivered feeling Willow's lips caressing and nipping at her throat. She closed her eyes feeling something wet move across her neck as Willow licked her. She whimpered and grabbed Willow's hair roughly trying to steady herself. Willow stared at Tara with wonder that she could do this. She could make Tara feel this way. It burned in her as she felt Tara pulling her in. She returned to Tara's lips, shyly slipping her tongue in and Tara opened her mouth giving Willow entrance. Tara had never done this before, but her body knew instinctually what it wanted. Her tongue moved over Willow's and her skin began to buzz. This was the hottest thing Tara had ever done in her life. Willow kissed her roughly before pulling back desperate for air.

They caught their breath grinning like idiots. Willow pressed her forehead against Tara's. She was so desperately in love with this woman, she'd do everything to prove it. Tara kissed the top of Willow's head before stealing another short kiss. Her heart was pounding. It felt so good to kiss Willow. All of her doubt fell away for a while as she let herself be taken up in the moment. They both moved so that they could lay down on Tara's bed. Their bodies close and trembling. Willow held Tara tightly around her waist, spooning her from behind. Tara leaned back into the warm body behind her feeling more protected than she ever had before.

"Are you excited for the field trip tomorrow?" Willow asked, her nose tickling the back of Tara's neck.

"Wait… w-what field trip?" Tara asked, her eyes shifting to the form behind her for an answer.

" The art museum field trip? The one where we go through the different exhibits and write our paper on the folk culture or group the artist is commenting on?" Willow explained, trying to gage Tara's memory.

"Oh ok, that f-field trip. I completely forget." Tara explained.

"Yup. The bus is supposed to come at nine tomorrow."

Tara smiled and placed her hands over Willow's, "g-good thing y-you're here to remind me"

Willow kissed Tara's neck in response and Tara sighed, leaning further back into the red-head's body.

"I'll always be here" Willow whispered.

"W-Willow?" Tara asked after a brief silence.

"Yes Tara?"

"Um… w-will you sit next t-to me on the um b-bus?"

Willow smiled and moved her head so that it draped over Tara's shoulder.

"Of course, Darling"

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 7/07/14)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:01 pm 
8. Vixen

Very sweet little interlude, I like how you write the interplay between the girls, they're very sweet with one another.

More please!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:02 am 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
Hey Nightmask!

I just wanted to pop in and tell you how much I'm enjoying this story. It's very sweet and the girls are adorable together. Tara's shyness is always endearing...as if Willow wouldn't have sat next to her on the bus. That's just crazy talk! :p Please keep up the frequent updates too!!

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:50 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Vampyregurl73: I promised myself I'd write Willow and Tara fluff one day so I'm glad it's so far successful. Thanks for the feedback [:

Finey_McFine: Hey thank you so much for writing feedback! I'm happy you're enjoying the story. I'll try to keep the updates frequent I've just been really busy with my summer job! I am determined to complete this story.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:10 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: My summer job offered me a few extra hours of work which I jumped on and now I have no time to do anything. The book Tara references at the end is Shadows of Aggar by Chris Anne Wolfe

Part nine:

It was the second day of spring break. Willow Rosenberg sat in the living room watching TV with her father. Her laptop was beside her as she corresponded with her new friend Tara. Willow's mother Sheila walked aggressively into the living room her heels clacking loudly as she made her entrance. It was four PM and she was already smoking, the smells of vetiver and cardamom engulfed Willow. It was sad and comforting that she associated these smells with home. They reminded her of the cigarettes her mother chained smoked and the tobacco SKOAL her father liked to stick between his gums. She was only in the living room to begin with because she had left her laptop charger there and her father had invited her to join him in watching the X-files. The Rosenbergs were supposed to go to dinner that night at seven PM with Willow's grandmother and Xander who Willow was allowed to invite along. Willow was already dressed in a nice black sleeveless dress and tights. Her mother was dressed for dinner as well, but her father sat on the couch in a work shirt and boxers. It was his day off and he was still dizzy from the new medication the doctor had put him on. Sheila began to start in with him again about how he wasn't dressed for dinner. Willow watched quietly while her parents argued in front of her completely ignoring their only child. Willow sighed, closing her laptop and getting up to move to her room.

An hour later Xander came over before they went out. They locked themselves in Willow's room in hopes of shutting out the world. Xander had been Willow's best friend since kindergarden. Xander's parents had also been discussing a divorce. Willow and Xander were more like brother and sister than anything, they kept each other safe. They confided in each other about the troubles of their family lives. Willow gushed to Xander about the new friend she had been e-mailing and this brought a smile to Xander's face. He hadn't seen Willow so happy since she broke up with Oz. He teased her saying that Willow should ask Tara out as it was obvious that the red-head liked her. Willow's face had gone red as she argued with him the pros and cons of confessing her crush to Tara so soon.

Willow and Tara lay on top of the covers, drifting in and out of a light sleep. It was a lazy Saturday afternoon, neither had an assignment due on Monday. It almost seemed like time would stand still for them if only for a while. They relaxed in each other's arms, feeling comfortable in their shared silence. They listened to the ongoing rain and the rumbles of thunder in the distance. At three pm Willow slowly sat up. Tara sluggishly turned over to see why.

"I have to get ready for the trip tomorrow and I promised Buffy I'd have dinner with her tonight" Willow explained.

Tara nodded groggily, "O-Okay hun… um but y-you'll sleep over tomorrow?"

Willow kissed the tip of Tara's nose, "Yes darling, I promise I'll sleep over tomorrow. Will you e-mail me a bit before you go to bed?"

Tara nodded, she reached out to stroke a piece of Willow's hair, "I… I'd l-like to k-kiss you again" she whispered.

Willow leaned in allowing Tara to close the distance. Tara pressed deep, gathering the back of Willow's head in her hands bringing her closer. She moved her lips to Willow's cheek, quietly inhaling the scent of her damp hair and the subtle smell of light perspiration. Somehow Willow's natural smells like her sweat or her skin or her hair drew Tara in. They were the traces that the red-head would often leave on her pillow or on borrowed clothes. The smell of Willow was comforting and safe. Willow kissed Tara's forehead before drawing back. An apology written on her face. She grimaced slightly as she whispered a goodbye. The red-head picked up her cardigan that she had taken off a while ago and held it under an arm. Tara remained on the bed and waived a drowsy goodbye as she watched her girlfriend go.

It was probably better that Willow had to leave. Tara needed time alone to think about everything. Tara had kissed Willow and it was wonderful. She didn't mess anything up. She couldn't fathom how much Willow actually cared about her. How did this wonderful life become hers? She closed her eyes and covered her face with her hands. She replayed every moment of Willow kissing her in her head. The way Willow's lips felt against her own. The trembling chill of Willow's finger tracing patterns up and down her face. Tara sat up a little more and put her glasses back on. She was too awake with thoughts now to consider falling back into the light nap she was just recently under. She turned over on her stomach so she could reach her book on the night table. She opened to the dog eared page of her book and continued the story.

Willow walked back in the gray damp weather. The rain had let up slightly, becoming a drizzle. What Buffy liked to refer to as "Bullshit Rain". The red-head pulled her cardigan on as a chill creeped in past her clothes. As she walked back she thought of Oz and then of Tara. Oz had become a stranger to her by now. His features almost seemed alien, the way he laughed disgusted her in a way. Tara now filled her every thought. Tara was what she thought of when she woke up in the morning. She never knew it was possible to let go of someone who used to mean so much to her in return for someone so amazing. As always she found herself grinning like an idiot when her thoughts went to Tara. She entered the Stevenson dorm and opened the door to her shared room. The lights were off and Buffy was right where she had been left hours ago. The small blonde was huddled under her blankets, hugging a pillow and watching yet another horror movie on their small shared TV. Willow turned the lights on to see where she was going and Buffy looked up and offered a weak smile.

Buffy's boyfriend Riley had recently dropped out of college to join the Marines. His reasoning behind this was that he needed to work on himself so he could be the guy Buffy deserved. Buffy completely disagreed with this, they had fought over this issue for months but Riley had put his foot down and decided to go. They promised they would try the long distance relationship thing and that Riley would come visit as often as he could. Buffy was holding it together as best she could, drowning herself in horror movies and eating packs of chocolate pudding. Today the peanut butter jar was Buffy's latest victim. At the foot of the blonde's bed was the empty jar scraped clean with a plastic spoon. It hurt to see Buffy like this. Willow had gone through the exact same thing last summer when Oz and her were still dating. That summer he hardly talked to her or even tried to salvage their relationship that at the time was obviously falling apart. It was only in the beginning of the year when she found out that he had been cheating on her. She feared Buffy would have to go through the same thing with Riley being so far away.

Indistinct screams bellowed through the small TV and Buffy automatically lowered the volume with the remote.

"Sorry Will… just needed a distraction today…" Buffy sighed.

Willow nodded, "Oh no don't worry about it. I totally get that it's just why zombies? Couldn't you just watch a nice Indiana Jones movie?"

Buffy snorted, "What and miss out on all the mindless blood and guts? No thank you".

Willow grinned, Buffy was a horror junkie. Every time the Indie movie theatre on Charles Street had it's monster movie marathon Buffy always dragged her along and made her sit through plotless blood and gore and not to mention the awful special effects. By this point Buffy had successfully succeeded in de-sensitizing both herself and Willow to horror movies. Buffy checked her watch and clicked the TV off. She threw off her blanket and stood up to stretch.

"Should we go to dinner now?" Buffy suggested, already looking for her shoes.

"yep dining hall or expresso pump?" Willow asked sitting on her bed waiting for Buffy to be ready.

Buffy thought for a moment her eyes moving to the upper right corner of her head, "Uhhhh let's do… dining hall".

"Okie dokes" Willow replied, leaning back against her bed her hands spreading out behind her supporting her weight.

Buffy looked up at Willow from the ground as she tied on her converse shoes. She quirked up an eyebrow as she came across Willow's bare feet, wet with stray pieces of grass clinging to them.

"Uh Willow? Where are your shoes?"

Willow looked down at her bare feet, her shoes still in her hands. She had meant to put them on, but it felt so nice to feel the wet grass under her feet that she had forgotten.

"Oh that… I just uh felt like taking them off…" she finished lamely.

She got up and found a discarded wash cloth in her laundry basket and used it to clean off the dirt and grass from her feet before putting a new pair of socks on.

"So… how was your date with Tara?" the blonde teased.

Willow flopped down on her bed pulling her shoes on, "It was good. I took her to Two Boots and then we went back to her place and hung out". All the while Willow tried to suppress the grin she knew was evident.

Buffy grinned while Willow wasn't looking, "Uh huh… and did you kiss her?" she pushed wanting to know the details.

Willow's face grew slightly red as she nodded, "yes" she said quietly trying to contain herself.

Buffy's eyebrows shot up, she walked over to Willow's bed and sat next to her.

"Tell. Me. Everything" she demanded.

Willow avoided eye contact as her face grew hot.

"Well um when we were walking back to her room and we took our shoes off and kind of wandered off the bicycle path. Then she gave me this necklace she made for me" Willow pulled the necklace out from under her shirt for Buffy to examine closer.

Buffy held the glass ring in her hand marveling at the craftsmanship. Riley had never done anything like this for her. To say the least she was slightly jealous of how adorable Willow and Tara were. They were like five year olds who held hands all the time.

"Ugh no that's too cute Will…" Buffy commented, "I wish Riley would do stuff for me like that. All I get are really short e-mails".

Willow frowned, it was never her intention to rub her new relationship in Buffy's face.

"Have you gotten an e-mail from him lately?" she asked trying to make Buffy feel a little better.

"Hmm? Oh! Yes I did! I'll tell you about it during dinner I want to hear the rest of your story, but he said he's coming up to visit next weekend. So I was thinking if Tara is up for it maybe we could do a double date?" Buffy replied.

"I'm sure she'd love to, but are you sure you don't want him to yourself?" Willow asked wanting to give Buffy her much needed time alone with Riley.

"Well yea of course I want him to myself, but I want him to meet Tara, maybe she could show him a few pointers in the gift giving area" Buffy joked.

Willow smiled warmly, she was so happy that Buffy genuinely liked Tara and was willing to include her so easily.

"Well continue, I need my vicarious smooches" Buffy said with mock urgency.

"Uh well we kind of stood there after she put the necklace on for me and I thought she was going to kiss me, but she got really nervous and shy so I brought her back to her dorm. I thought she would be more comfortable there".

Willow consciously omitted the part where Tara had asked for Willow to kiss her first. Buffy didn't need to know how insecure Tara was about those things.

"When we got back we sat on her bed and I helped her relax and then I kind of just leaned in and kissed her and she kissed me back and I kind of licked her neck?" Willow explained her voice squeaking at the last part obviously embarrassed.

"Very smooth Willster" Buffy teased.

Willow gave Buffy's shoulder a light push, "Shush you".

Buffy giggled and got up off Willow's bed, she walked over to her desk and looped her purse over her shoulder, indicating that she was ready to go. Willow got up to follow and both girls left the room after Willow flicked the lights off.

March 29, at 7:19 PM e-mail file:

Tara: So how was dinner with Buffy?

7:51 PM

Willow: Hey, I just got back. It was nice, Buffy is still a little mopey though :/
Willow: Oh also she wants to know if you'd be up for a double date next weekend? Riley is coming up to visit.

Tara: I'd love to [: Tell her I said thank you for inviting me. I'm sorry she's still mopey. We'll have to have a girls night with her to cheer her up.

Willow: I'll tell her and yes we should that sounds perfect. Only she may make us watch lots of horror movies with her.

Tara: I have no problem with that just so long as you hold me during the scary parts.

Willow: <3 Stop being so darn cute

Tara: <3 I can't promise anything

Willow: <3
Willow: Oh! So for tomorrow let's meet at the bus stop at 7:30. Also do you like pop tarts?

Tara: That sounds good. Um I guess how come?

Wilow: I'm packing snacks for the bus ride, it's supposed to be three hours long. I was thinking we could share a cinnamon pop tart and some trail mix?

Tara: Mmm okay. Can we eat the food later on? I get kind of nauseous in the morning when it comes to food. It might be worse considering how I get motion sickness really easily.

Willow: aw baby I'll take care of you. I'll bring some dramamine just in case.

8:01 PM

Tara: Why are you so good to me? [:

Willow: because you're my girl [:

Tara: <3

Willow: <3

8:05 PM

Tara: If I bring my CD player do you want to bring some of your music or should I just make us a mix tape for the ride?

Willow: Mix tape please. I need to listen to more of your music, you have really good taste.

Tara: Alright. I do? haha

Willow: Yes you do. Alright I think I'm going to get ready for bed.

Tara: Okay hun I'll see you tomorrow.

Willow: Good night. Sweet dreams <3

Tara: Good night. May your dreams be smiling <3

8:20 PM

Willow: Hey are you still up? Can I ask you something?

8:38 PM

Tara: Hey I'm up, you can ask me anything.

Willow: How come you always say "may your dreams be smiling" it's really cute and I'm just wondering if you got it from somewhere?

Tara: I'm glad you think it's cute [: It's from my favorite book. It's what the amazons say to each other before they go to sleep.

Willow: You. Are. Adorable.

Tara: haha Thank you. So are you.

Willow: Okay we should probably go to bed now

Tara: Yes we should. Alright goodnight again. <3

Willow: Goodnight <3

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 7/20/14)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:42 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: It's been a really long week. I'll be twenty in five days. I'm not sure if I'm ready to be an adult. I have to go back to college and see my ex again soon. Anyways This part is super angsty, just a warning before you go ahead and read.

Part ten:

At age six Tara's dog was dying. She was a labrador retriever and at the age of fifteen she had cancerous polyps blooming atop of her head and under her stomach. Her name was Jesse and she had been the dog of Tara's mom long before she married Henry Maclay. Jesse had arthritis in one front leg and she was peeing all over the kitchen floor, she was too old to go outside to relieve herself. In short she was dying.

Jesse slept in Tara's room by the foot of her bed and did her best to protect Tara from her father's sporadic outbursts. Mr. Maclay had announced on a Sunday morning that he was taking Jesse to a shelter. He was going to leave her there and let her die alone away from the people who she grew up with. Tara forcefully pushed aside her bowl of cheerios and ran to her room in tears where Jesse sat waiting for her weakly wagging her tail. She wrapped her arms around Jesse's neck and cried into her fur. Jesse was her only friend. Donnie wouldn't play with her and she wasn't allowed to bring other kids home.

For an hour she cried while Jesse whimpered trying to comfort her. Her father finally swung the door of her room open and grabbed Jesse by the collar leading her away from Tara. Jesse was one of the remaining pieces of Tara's mother and Mr. Maclay was too eager to be rid of it. Tara ran outside just as her father was loading Jesse into the backseat of the car. Her brother Donnie was five years older than her, he was outside already, openly crying. This was the only time Tara would see Donnie cry like this. From then on she would only hear his racking sobs from inside his bedroom and even that grew less and less as time went on. Jesse was family and just like that she was taken away. Tara was alone now more so than she had ever been.

A harsh ringing sounded in the distance and as it grew closer the haze became thinner. The sound became recognizable beckoning Tara's awakening to it's call. Her hand shot out from under the warm quilt hitting the off button with practiced accuracy. The sound stopped and Tara lay still breathing in and out slowly. She was drenched in sweat again but that was nothing new. Tara closed her eyes tightly and then re-opened them again, she brought her arms above her head and stretched letting out a soft groan. She gave a long sigh and finally pushed back the covers committing herself to waking up.

It was the ungodly hour of 6:30 in the morning. Tara had set the alarm clock, giving herself a solid hour to get ready before she had to meet Willow at 7:30. She quickly showered and got dressed, pacing back in forth in her small room putting things in and taking them out of her backpack for the trip. They would be walking around the town they were driving to so she wanted to pack light, but she also wanted to be prepared. At 7:13 Tara was packed and ready. She stood a few feet away from her long mirror that was angled against the wall near her closet. She had decided to wear faded blue jeans and a light blue hoodie with a pattern of silver stars. She opted to wear her glasses again that day. She wasn't sure if she would fall asleep on the bus and she didn't want to fall asleep with her contacts in. That was always one of her biggest fears when it came to her eye contacts. That and the time her high school chemistry teacher forbid the wearing of contacts during labs for fear of the contacts melting from some chemical accident into the wearer's eyes. She left her hair down and pinned a green barrette on the side of her head to hold part of her hair back. She quickly picked the crystals she would need for the day before swinging her backpack around and over her shoulders and heading out the door. The door locked behind her and she was off.

The morning sky was still slightly dark and the air was chilly. Tara considered getting a good cup of tea of even some coffee, but she felt her throat contract and her stomach lurch. The thought of anything in her stomach this early made her feel nauseous and she didn't need that when she already had the possibility of motion sickness to worry about. She cut through the bicycle path and trekked past the Stevenson dorm until she reached the science building. There on one of the benches sat Willow with a steaming styrofoam cup of coffee cradled in both hands. The red-head perked up as she caught sight of her girlfriend. Tara waved and gave Willow a big 'good morning' smile and Willow waved back returning her smile. Tara sat down next to her girlfriend and Willow rested her head against Tara's shoulder.

"ugh I'm so tired. I ended up watching a horror movie again with Buffy last night" Willow grumbled.

Tara smiled enjoying the warmth that was radiating from Willow's body.

"W-What time did you go to b-bed hun?" she asked.

"mmmm…. maybe one or two in the morning. I don't really remember" Willow grimaced.

"Okay well you c-can sleep on the b-bus and we'll go to bed early t-tonight".

Willow nuzzled closer into Tara's sweater wrapping an arm around her girlfriend's, "Yes please" she whispered, before yawning.

She raised her cup of coffee to Tara's face offering her a sip, Tara shook her head and mumbled "no, thank you".

"I wouldn't s-say no to a g-good morning kiss?" Tara offered a grin sneaking across her face.

Willow looked up at her through heavy eyelids,"Ugh I would but I probably have really gross coffee breath right now and I wouldn't want to subject you to that".

Tara's eye brow turned up in worry, "oh… I um… d-don't m-mind" she said softly.

Willow appeared to not have heard her as one of their classmates walked over to where they were sitting.

"Hey Ruth" Willow said perking up a little bit.

Ruth was a little on the short side. She had shoulder length black hair and wore heavy make up, which happened to look really good on her. She was in a few of Willow's science classes and was also majoring in Marine Biology like Willow. They had become good friends through a mutual study group.

Ruth waved a hello and smiled at Tara although they had never really talked. She then noticed Willow's hand intwined with Tara's and the way the red-head was leaning into the girl she had only spoken to maybe once or twice.

"Um… what's uh… what's going on Willow?" she asked trying not to come off as impolite as she curiously examined the dynamic between the two girls.

Willow caught the direction of Ruth's gaze understanding the meaning behind the question "Oh Ruth this is my new girlfriend" she announced full of pride.

Tara squeezed Willow's hand. Willow was so proud and comfortable about being with another woman while she was still shy about everyone knowing about her personal life.

Ruth's face turned into a genuine smile, she already knew about the break up with Oz and Willow's recent coming out. She just never expected Willow's first girlfriend to be the quiet stuttering girl in their class.

"Oh my gosh congratulations! You guys look really cute together" Ruth commented as she sat adjacent to them on the other bench.

Tara blushed and fought the internal urge to hide her face behind Willow's back.

"Thank you" Willow replied smiling.

Ruth put her bag down and took a long sip of her own coffee.

"Oh no... just wait until Dakota finds out he's going to be so happy you found someone cute Willow" Ruth said leaning over the end of the bench so that Willow would hear her.

Now Tara was blushing as she attempted to hide behind Willow's sweater.

"Oh no Tara! Please don't be embarrassed. I really mean it" Ruth said reassuringly.

Willow giggled at her girlfriend's shyness as Tara clung to her.

Ruth set down her coffee next to her bag and pulled out a cigarette holding in between her lips, she then rummaged through her bag searching for her lighter. She found it and took the cigarette out of her mouth momentarily.

"Um do you guys mind if I smoke?" she asked.

Tara shook her head and Willow replied with a quiet "no, go ahead".

Ruth continued to light her cigarette and smoked while her and Willow chatted more.

More people from their class began to arrive and take over the nearby benches. The conversation was groggy all around, college students or not, no one was truly awake at this hour. The teacher, Mr. Robins, pulled up in his car as Dakota walked over to where Ruth was sitting. Dakota was probably the most openly gay student on campus and he was brimming with confidence. He had come all the way from South Carolina to study at U.C. Sunnydale for only god knows what. He was tall and lanky with neat dark brown hair and subtle cheekbones that were always a little red. Today he was wearing his usual outfit of a faded red plaid shirt and yellow pants that were rolled up at the bottoms. He was a really nice guy but he did have a knack for getting into everyone's business. Right then he was eyeing up Willow and Tara just as Ruth had done and a knowing smiled creeped upon his face.

Mr. Robins retrieved his brief case from the back seat of his car and turned to greet the class. He looked at his watch and then at the road in front of them.

"The bus should be here shortly. How is everyone doing today? Did you all sleep alright?" he asked.

Mr. Robins was one of those well known crazy teachers that you hear about all year. He was the kind to go off on existential rants and recite long philosophical poems at the drop of a hat. He was silly but he was smart about it and all of his students adored him. There were a few muttered replies of how no one had slept long enough to be up this early. Mr. Robins looked over in Willow's direction and noticed that one of his favorite students seemed happier than usual.

"Willow there seems something different about you today. Did you do something to your hair?"

Tara who had been immersed in her book looked up at her teacher and flinched at his question. Oh god would Willow have to tell the whole class now?

Dakota immediately butted in before Willow could answer.

"She's got a new girlfriend that's whats up!" he announced winking at Willow who was actually a good friend of his.

Tara pressed her face into the pages of her book and hunched over, she could feel everyone looking at her and Willow.

Everyone giggled at Dakota's outburst and then looked to Willow for validation.

"Um yea" Willow said weakly, flustered at all the sudden attention.

Tara slowly moved the book away from her face and was met with a crowd of smiling faces telling her girlfriend how cute they were.

"Oh god" Tara whispered to herself, this was not how she wanted to spend her morning.

She was already slightly hurt from Willow's refusal to kiss her and now everyone knew she was dating Willow. She wouldn't be able to be that quiet girl in class anymore that no one really talked to. Now she was known as Willow's girlfriend and a sense of obligation came over her that she would actually have to converse with people she had never talked to before. Hello social anxiety.

Her teacher smiled at her in an attempt to comfort her, now Tara's face was completely red. She really didn't need her teacher to know too. He was infamous for his constant teasing of his students and the all too often sarcasm he used in all of his lessons.

It was thankfully then that the bus decided to arrive and Mr. Robins began to hand out the worksheet that they were to fill out at the museum. Everyone began to board the bus while the T.A. took attendance. Tara held her book safely against her chest as she moved slowly down the isle searching for a seat for her and Willow. She quickly spotted one and ducked in. She set her backpack down on the isle seat saving it for Willow while she took the window seat. People that she had never talked to before walked past her and smiled at her, it was strange how accepting her class was. Tara set her book on her lap, her thumb buried in one of the pages holding her place while she looked out the window. Willow appeared to be speaking avidly to Dakota who patted her on the back and they shared a joke before getting on the bus. Tara had no qualms about people knowing she was dating Willow, it was just that she wanted the secrecy they had experienced in the beginning it was more intimate and she didn't have to share Willow. Now that everyone knew they would be asking about Tara and what she was like and Tara wasn't sure she was ready for anyone to know what she was like.

Tara waited patiently for Willow and waved the red-head closer as she neared. Tara picked up her bag and Willow sat down next to her. Ruth and Skylar sat in front of them.

"I'm gonna take a nap hun is that okay?" Willow asked.

"Of course" Tara said.

Willow zipped her sweater up more and wrapped an arm around Tara's resting her head on her girlfriend's shoulder. Tara kissed the top of Willow's warm head, breathing in her scent. Willow sighed happily and snuggled closer before closing her eyes and drifting off. Ruth looked over her seat and made eye contact with Tara. She mouthed the words "So. Fucking. Cute" and turned around. Tara chuckled to herself and smiled. She opened her book and dog-eared it before placing it back in her bag. She wasn't sure she could endure reading while on a bus. Reading in any type of vehicle almost always made her nauseous. So instead she opted for the mix tape she had made for the trip last night. She pulled out the headphones Willow had leant her and placed each ear bud in securely. She then placed her disc man on her lap and loaded the labeled CD in. She pressed play just as the bus began to pull out and the trip began.

Tara had a problem when it came to over thinking everything. The fact that Willow refused to kiss her due to coffee breath launched her into worry mode. Other couples their age were probably well past the kissing stage by the first week and were already having sex. What if she was moving too slowly for Willow? What if Willow really didn't like kissing her because she was so unexperienced? Then her thoughts took a turn for the worst, she thought of Oz. She wondered how fast he had moved with Willow. What if Oz was a better kisser than her? Would Willow be comparing them in her head? Tara's mind raced and she felt her heart sink as Willow pulled away from her to sleep on the other side of the seat. It was like the red-head was validating all her fears to be true.

Stop it Tara. Stop thinking like this. She likes you. You need to calm down. She's just tired and she always fidgets in her sleep like this, it's normal. Just breathe and focus on yourself. That's it. Look out the window and just watch the scenery. Turn up the volume a little on your music concentrate on the lyrics. You picked these songs because they make you think of Willow and Willow likes your taste in music. So just calm down. Just day dream, you're good at that. You can do this.

Tara's mind went back and forth for a solid hour. The sun had begun to rise and Tara had to shield the side of her face because of the glinting light coming up behind the buildings they passed. The offending light hit Willow's face as well making her grumble in her sleep. Willow opened one eye and then another squinting at Tara past the blinding light.

"B-Bad dream hun?" Tara asked.

Willow leaned in close again to Tara's body and Tara could feel herself melt in relief. The simple contact between Willow was enough to make her always feel better about her doubts.

"The worst. I was life guarding sea creatures and a bunch of tadpoles invaded my wading pool".

Tara shot Willow an audacious look and started giggling.

"T-That must h-have been very scary f-for you" Tara joked.

Willow pouted, "Well it got better because you showed up but you were dressed like Gabrielle from season four and…"

Tara clamped a hand over Willow's mouth as Ruth looked over her seat again raising an eyebrow at Willow.

"H-Hey Ruth" Tara said weakly and Willow struggled to break free and tell the rest of he dream.

"So Tara watches Xena too? You guys were meant to be" Ruth said winking at Willow.

Willow shot her a look and Ruth turned around in her seat to laugh with Skylar.

Tara jumped stifling a startled cry as she felt something wet on the inside of her hand. She looked in Willow's direction as the red-head stuck her tongue out shooting her a playful glance. Tara's face grew red and Willow leaned in to kiss her on the cheek.

"So I remember you saying something about a mix tape last night?" Willow said indicating the walkman on Tara's lap and the headphones wrapped around her girlfriend's neck.

Tara picked up one of the earbuds and handed it to Willow before changing her own ear bud to her left ear.

"Sh-Should I s-start from the beginning?" Tara asked, handing Willow the CD case where a slip of paper had been taped to the back with a list of the songs Tara had picked out.

"Yes please" Willow said.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 7/27/14)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:10 pm 
8. Vixen

Poor little Tara, how horrible for her.

The bus interaction was cute. Left lots to build on from there.

Keep it up!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:23 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Vampyregurl73: Thank you for the feedback and encouragement! Sorry it took so long to update.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:45 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: Work ended but not before I had a nervous breakdown. My dog died and I found him. I found out I'm going to be living alone for the fall semester of college. It wasn't a good month for me. Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I'll do my best to post regularly.

Part Eleven:

It was a late Thursday morning and the weather outside was bleak. The windows of the community center were coated with fog as the storm carried on. Tara relaxed further into the couch she had settled into. The end of November was nearing and a chill followed everywhere you went. Tara smiled pleasantly, grateful for the warm woolen sweater she had decided on wearing that day.

Her Modern Folklore class had taken a lunch break so of course Tara had taken this hour to read. Tara's class had started a project with the community center of Sunnydale where they discussed Modern Folklore with children. The class was then to form a group with the children to present what they learned. Tara's group consisted of four classmates she hardly knew and three children who made fun of her stutter. Dakota was their group captain, then there was Willow, Ruth, Skylar and then the three boys. The others had all requested each other for the group while the teacher had to assign Tara with them. They were nice enough to Tara but they were more interested in their own group dynamic of gossip so Tara as always distanced herself. She found herself lost in the pages of her book when she felt the presence of someone looking at her. She looked up and the girl from her group, Willow, was spinning around in an office chair. Her laptop on the desk beside her. The cute red-head was looking at her casually, Tara had to fight the urge to duck her head down.

"Hello" Willow offered kindly.

"H-Hi" Tara replied.

Oh god. Why is she talking to me. No one ever talks to me. I'm not that interesting. What does she want? Am I bothering her? Maybe I should move.

"Whatcha' reading?" Willow asked playfully, swiveling from side to side in her chair.

"Oh um it-it's called C-Clan of the Cave B-Bear…" Tara explained.

She dog-eared the page she was on and offered Willow the beaten up paperback.

Willow took it and surveyed the cover art before turning it over and reading the synopsis on the back.

Oh what if she thinks it's dumb? What am I supposed to say?

Willow gave Tara back the book smiling, "I keep hearing about this book in my Biology study group. They said that the plot was based on the evolution of the Cro-Magnons during the time of the cave men. Is it any good? Well I mean of course it's good, you've been reading it for the past week every chance you get. I'm saying that in a completely non-stalkery way I just notice small stuff and well you're always reading so I've always been curious about what you read and now I'm babbling" Willow winced taking a breath.

"Sorry" she offered feeling completely stupid in front of the girl she had never spoken to before.

Tara's face had grown warm and she was sure that it was almost completely red. Her hair fell in front of her face to hide her embarrassment. Why would Willow care so much about what she was reading all the time. Why did she notice these things?

"It… it is g-good. I um actually st-stayed up until five in the m-morning once b-by accident b-because I couldn't stop reading this" Tara confessed.

She was embarrassed by this sudden attention Willow had given her but she felt oddly comfortable telling Willow these things.

Willow nodded, happy that her stalkerish tendencies had not upset Tara. She had waited for so long to talk to her that she was nervous even then that she would say something wrong. She pictured Tara staying up in bed all night unable to tear her eyes away from her book. She wondered if Tara's room was perhaps even lined to the walls with books considering how much she read.

"Would you recommend it?" Willow asked not wanting to end the conversation.

"Uh I w-would I think… but I-I don't know that m-much about you to be sure" Tara admitted shyly.

She didn't know much about anyone in her class. No one talked to her, but she noticed things. She could tell Willow's favorite colors were blue and green from the way she always wore one of the colors each day or somehow fit the colors into her ensemble. She knew Willow liked animals and the ocean from the doodles in the column of notes and the turtle keychain that was always attached to her bag. She got the sense that Willow was majoring in some field of science from her talk of a Biology class and the way her eyes would restlessly focus on small details.

"Well my name is Willow. I'm majoring in Marine Biology and minoring in computer science… and I'm seeing a movie tonight... by myself" Willow said offering up pieces of information.

Tara's heart sunk at those last words. Why was Willow seeing a movie by herself? Maybe she just likes to do things by herself? Did someone cancel plans with her? I wish we were closer then maybe I could offer to go with her. I don't want her to be alone. It wasn't her place though.

"I'm Tara… I knew your n-name was W-Willow. I'm d-double m-majoring in Art history and Archaeology. What m-movie are you s-seeing?" Tara asked too cowardly to offer her companionship.

"Where the Wild Things Are. You know how they made the picture book into a movie? Well I was supposed to see it with my friend Buffy but she bailed so I thought 'what the heck' and decided to see it by myself. Besides I think I can use it in one of my essays for this class." Willow reasoned.

"Oh I l-loved that b-book when I was growing up" Tara said excitedly.

"Me too and I think the movie is supposed to be really good so I'm excited to see it. Even if it is by myself. I've never been to the movies on my own so it'll be a new experience" Willow gushed swiveling more anxiously on her seat.

"You-You'll h-have to t-tell me how it is so I can go see it" Tara said.

Willow nodded and their conversation ended as Dakota walked over to Willow pulling her away to be with her friends.

Tara sighed, Willow was adorable but she knew she had no chance. She got the sense that Willow perhaps played for both teams, but she would never would never be interested in Tara. Tara was grateful for the conversation between them. Willow was incredibly kind and funny and she seemed like a really good friend to have. So that's all Tara dared to hope for, a possible friendship but nothing more.

Tara adjusted the disc so that it would start at the very beginning. She glanced over to see Willow reading through the playlist she had meticulously written down. Tara adjusted the volume so that it wasn't too loud and hit play. As always there was trepidation when it came to sharing something new with Willow. Would she like her music? Would she not care about how much each song meant to Tara? Tara let out a quiet breath and listened with Willow. She tried to imagine how Willow would experience this introduction to her music. Music somehow always sounded better the first time, just like watching a new movie. However the music always possessed the capability to carry neurological pathways that held special or important memories. This always gave Tara a reason to listen again and again to these songs. When she played them in different parts of her life they took on new meaning and either held on to or abandoned the old. Old thoughts stirred as the first song began and Tara could feel Willow concentrating.

The heavy echoing acoustic began and a deep whispering voice took up the lyrics.

"I'd swim across lake Michigan, I'd sell my shoes. I'd give my body to be back again. In the rest of the room…"

Tara inhaled a deep shuddering breath. Why had she decided to start with this song when making the playlist? She couldn't stop herself as the image of a small white church began to form in her head. Willow had closed her eyes and was resting her head against Tara's shoulder, but her breathing pattern said that she was still awake. Just listening. Tara looked out of the window and thought about the first time she heard this song.

Tara was eleven years old. It was five in the afternoon and she was stuck in bible studies on a Monday night. She was doodling over the worksheet while the teacher lectured them lost in thought.

Her brother had stayed up late last night watching this horror movie called "Carrie". She had made several attempts to watch it with him, but he threatened to kick her head in if she didn't leave the room. Tara had watched the rest of the movie through the crack in the door. She sat in the hallway knowing her father would be home late that night so she wasn't too worried about being caught. She was captivated by the opening scene of the women openly changing in the locker room. It was sad that the only knowledge she was to learn about being a woman was through the R rated movies Donnie would watch and the few books she read that mentioned the topic. There was no mother figure to teach her these things. Her father being the man he was never thought to anticipate the need to inform Tara about the strange world of puberty. He left her to figure it out on her own. The movie that she watched through the crack in the door was how she found out about what a period even was. She could hear Donnie's laughter as the other girls threw tampons at Carrie and yelled at her. Tara didn't find it funny. The scene where Carrie waited at the top of the stairs before her mother called her down made Tara's heart ache.

It was like a revelation seeing something that was so relatable to her own life. Tara thought about Carrie now while sitting in bible study. She wished she had telekinesis or even some sort of super power. Anything that would give relief to this small town life.

Tara looked up noticing the teacher had stopped talking. Mrs. Walters was looking down at her with a disapproving look. She then cleared her throat enjoying the blush that appeared on Tara's face. Mrs. Walter's continued her lesson by introducing a kid from her older class.

Her name was Joan. Joan had curly light brown hair that was cut just before her shoulders. She was wearing blue jeans with patches on the knees and a purple boy's t-shirt with faded stripes. Tara had never seen anything like her before and she was bewitched. She had never seen a girl dress like that before. She felt something stir in her when she saw this girl. A familiarity. They were alike in someway, only she didn't understand how. Tara watched with full attention while Joan walked to the front of the class a guitar in one hand. The girl looked a little embarrassed to be standing in front of a class of younger kids, but she had an aura of confidence about her. Maybe it was the army green watch on her left wrist, or the worn out baseball cap sticking out of her back pocket or maybe even the freckles that coated her skin. Something about her drew in all of Tara's attention.

"Joan had an incident last week that we will not be discussing. It is in the past now and to make amends Joan has offered to play us a song to show us that she is sorry" Mrs. Walter's explained.

Joan blushed slightly as she walked in front of the class, she looped the guitar strap over her shoulder and adjusted her capo. She nervously strummed the guitar, adjusting the strings slightly before clearing her throat.

"Um… so this is a song about… well… it's a song by uh a christian rock band… I thought it would be appropriate…" Joan explained obviously embarrassed, trying desperately not to sound dumb.

She began to strum in a more cohesive pattern, her eyes turned to the corners of her head as if she were trying to remember the lyrics. Her voice was deep but soft and whispery as she started.

"I'd swim across… lake Michigan… I'd sell my shoes… I'd give my body to be back again. In the rest… of the room…"

Joan's eyes began to desperately search the room looking for a face to make contact with, to focus on so she wouldn't lose her nerve. She bit her lip as she continued strumming and finally focused on Tara's face. The young eleven year old girl was rapt with attention and Joan gave it in return. Thankful for something to concentrate on other than her nervousness. Her confidence grew more as she strummed her guitar more forcefully and knocked occasionally on the hollowed out wood of the instrument to create more rhythm. She began to sway slightly as she took up the chorus.

" To be alone… with you… To be alone…. with you. To be alone… To be alone… with… you."

Tara stopped breathing for a moment and swallowed too much air after. She could feel a chill going up her back and through her arms. Joan knew something she didn't. Something essential, and she needed to know what.

"You gave… your body to the lonely… They took… your clothes… You gave… up… a wife and a family. You gave… your ghost. To be alone with me… To be alone… with me. To be alone with me. You went up… on a tree. To be alone with me… You went up on a tree."

Tara needed to talk to this girl. She knew she was meant to in some way. Joan cast one more look in Tara's direction then back to her guitar to ensure that she was playing the correct chords. She hummed along quietly adding to the resounding echo of the hollow wood.

"I've never known a man that loves me…"

Joan finished and stood there awkwardly while Tara's class clapped. Tara didn't clap, she watched Joan instead. Desperate to absorb the invisible knowledge she knew this girl held.

Joan gave a shaky bow and left the room.

Mrs. Walters continued the lecture by pointing out the religious themes in the song that were attributed to stories about Jesus. Tara thought about the cleverness of the song. It could be construed as a song about Christ, but it could also be about something else. A person leaving everything they'd known to be with another. It wasn't completely about religion. No. To Tara it was about sacrifice and what someone could find at the end of their offering.

A few days later Tara was in bible studies again, but she was not in class. She was hiding in the girl's bathroom. Her father had yelled at her in the car over something unimportant. She had locked herself in the bathroom stall and knotted her shirt in her hands while she waited for her sobs to subside. If Mr. Maclay was good at anything, he was the best at bringing Tara to tears. Tara cupped a hand over her mouth as she heard footsteps approaching. They sounded heavy enough to belong to someone older than her. Tara had spent too much time behind closed doors and because of this she had become an expert at determining how tall or heavy a person was by the sound of their footsteps. These footsteps sounded like Donnie's but lighter. A girl close in his age group perhaps? Tara took a few quiet shuddering breaths as she wiped at her nose with the sleeve of her sweater. A whimper gave away her location and the footsteps stopped at her stall. There was a light knocking and Tara tried to compose herself.

"Hey um.. are you alright?" a voice said quietly through the door.

Tara wiped more at her nose and her eyes, "Uh I-I'm O-Okay…" she said.

"Well… you don't sound okay… do you want to come out and we can talk?"

Tara considered this and finally unlatched the door and swung it open.

Joan stood there looking at her disheveled state.

"Hey you're in uh Walters' class right? I played that song for you guys…" Joan said.

Tara looked down at her shoes, her hair falling in her face, "Um yea… I really um l-liked your s-song" Tara admitted quietly.

Joan crouched down so that she could look Tara in the eyes, she placed her hands on Tara's shoulders a gave a warm smile.

"Hey, it's gonna be alright. Look I needed a break from class anyway so why don't we go out back and just chill for a bit alright? You can tell me what's wrong?" Joan offered.

Tara nodded feeling a new wave of emotion go through her body and out her eyes. She was grateful.

Tara and Joan skipped class and talked all afternoon. Tara avoided the subject of her family and her father. She found it easier to redirect the conversation to Joan. Which Joan was fine with. Tara found that in most cases people waited for their turn to talk and never really listened when you spoke. Tara didn't mind, she preferred hearing Joan talk about her life and her band. When it began to get dark and the classes started to let out Joan offered Tara a CD. She explained that it was the album that the song she played was from. Tara took it and held it to her chest as Joan walked away.

A few weeks later Joan was kicked out of her house and she went to live with her uncle in the city. Tara never saw her again. She never learned the knowledge that Joan could have imparted on her until her later years when she would come to understand what she was and what Joan was.

Tara looked down at Willow noting the smile on the red-head's face.

"Mmm I liked that song" Willow whispered and Tara smiled back.

Everyone on the bus seemed to be napping or listening to their music. There was little or no conversation to be had. Tara kissed Willow on the head, her warm hair brushed against Tara's lips. Her sweet perfume clung to her body and Tara inhaled the scent. Willow closed her eyes and grinned. A new song started and Willow leaned in closer to Tara, wrapping an arm around her waist before settling in again.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 8/21/14)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:28 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 2
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Mine passed away last year and I was a wreck for a long time afterwards.

Just read through this story and I have to say I like how any given minor detail can trigger incredibly involved flashbacks. The tender moments of their relationship just starting out are also fun. All in all it's a good read.

I hope the next few months turn out better for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:46 pm 
2. Floating Rose

This is a really good and relaxing read for me. The story feels so casual, or slice-of-life may be the better term, and I just love the style. Can't wait to read more!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:26 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Notes: It's been a while since I've updated this story. I've been sitting on this passage for quite some time so I figured why not post it? Anyway I'm a senior in college now. I have my own apartment and I have a girlfriend who I've been dating for almost a year. So things do get better. Not to mention that marriage equality was achieved nationwide today. So in honor of life being pretty darn good I've decided to update. ***Straight up hints of abuse and angst I apologize. Don't read it if this upset you.

Part Twelve:

Tara's breath was slow. Willow's body was warm against her own. Their deep breaths matched up and then overlapped and the pattern repeated. They stayed like this for hours, each new song directed their thought patterns. As the bus approached the town they would be stopping in the class began to stir. It was early afternoon when the bus found a place to park and released the swarm of restless teens onto the streets. Mr. Robins distributed more sheets of paper this time with directions to the museum and time requirements.

"You all now have an hour for lunch, so grab something and we'll meet up at the museum" he stated.

The class quickly dispersed into preferred friend groups and wandered off to different restaurants and deli's. Dakota wrapped his arm in Willow's pulling her along and Tara helpless to stop him followed behind.

"I saw an I-Hop a few street down why don't you and Tara join us?" He asked and Willow unable to say 'no', simply nodded. Ruth and Skylar followed them as well. Tara trailed along feeling out of place. Dakota was nice and he only teased her a little bit. She was worried however about how she would fit into Willow's friend group. Everyone kept a fast pace trying to keep up with Dakota's long strides. They approached the I-Hop and entered. The group waited behind a family waiting to be served and a waiter asked Dakota how many were in his group. They were quickly seated in a booth Dakota, Ruth and Skylar on one side, Willow and Tara on the other.

Everyone ordered coffee but Willow who decided to get Orange Juice. Tara cradled the hot mug in her hands feeling the nausea begin to build again. She would never announce this to the group, but she secretly avoided I-Hop’s at all costs. Every Sunday after church her father would take her and Donny to the I-Hop in town. If he was in a decent mood that day he would let Tara order a pancake, while Donny and him would eat their fried eggs and home fries.

The first time her father had allowed her to order a pancake she had gotten a stack of three pancakes, the smallest portion the menu offered. It had come out with a whip cream smiley face, which Donny immediately had reached over and smeared off with his fork caked already in egg. Tara was used to this bullying from Donny so she ignored him and poured syrup over her breakfast. By the time her Father and Donny had finished their eggs Tara was not even halfway through her pancakes and she could not eat another bite. She had never been given a portion so big before and was unable to conquer it. The waitress came by and smiled at her before refilling the coffee in her father’s mug.

Mr. Maclay glared at his daughter and then with a sweet smile asked for the check.

“Do you need s’more time honey?” she had asked Tara.

“Oh she’s stuffed, she couldn’t eat another bite” he said darkly.

The waitress had not picked up on Mr. Maclay’s tone of voice, but Tara had, she stiffened and could feel the half digested pancake rising in her throat. He was mad at her, she could tell.

The waitress left to bring them change and Donny got up to go wait in the car, growing impatient. Mr. Maclay leaned over the table, his foul coffee breath blocking off any immediate clean air.

“If you don’t finish that fucking pancake you won’t get another meal for three whole days. I didn’t bring you here so you could waste my money” he whispered.

Tara shook and could feel the tears welling up, her nose had already begun to leak. Her father grabbed her wrist under the table twisting harshly.

“Don’t you dare cry. Don’t you see this is your fault?”

Tara was shaking so badly, afraid to meet his gaze she shook her head in meek agreement.

Yes she deserved this.

The waitress came back and set the change down on the table smiling at Mr. Maclay. He smiled warmly in return, his grip still tight around his daughter’s wrist.

“Get up” He whispered when the Waitress walked away.

She could feel the anxiety bubbling over in her tiny body and with it the vomit. Tara sucked in deep breaths trying to keep the nausea down as they entered the parking lot. she kept it down, she had to. Mr.Maclay and Donny had gotten into the front seat of the chewing tobacco smelling trunk.

Tara could distinctly remember the way her father had looked when he leaned with one arm out of the window to stare down at her. A cigarette already burning between his lips.

“Get in” he commanded roughly and she did, her wrist already turning a dark purple.

The group ordered a hefty amount of breakfast seeing as it was lunch time as well. Willow had ordered a stack of french toast which she kept offering bites to Tara, but Tara kept on refusing. The smell of I-Hop was making her nervous. The people she sat with made her feel out of place. Willow sensing this trepidation took Tara’s hand under the table. Tara having a quick flashback of her father grabbing her wrist was startled out of her thoughts and then relaxed when she realized it was Willow. It would be alright. She could do anything with Willow beside her.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 6/26/15)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:24 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Very troubling, but then, very plausible considering Tara's past. Strong story.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

Post subject: Re: Dancing Barefoot (Updated 6/26/15)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:39 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 2
I'm always moved when reading stories revolving around just what flavor of brutal sociopath Mr. Maclay embodied while Tara was growing up. It's strange just how many truly memorable monsters from the series were run of the mill humans that the the various Scoobies were forced to weather.

Though, as always, It's more than reassuring to see the dramatic positive effect Willow has on Tara. Another great example of how much they need each other and just how well they fit into each other's lives.