The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens Recommendation Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:46 am 
2. Floating Rose

One of the stories which I think really deserve to be recommended: The Garland Days. In the writer's own words:
Quote:
What I first imagined this story to be was two things: a brief but heartfelt thank you to those who gave up so much in the past. And a W/T love story…preferably ending with smut. The thank you, I hope, honors the courage of those who came before us. The love story, I also hope, honors them too. It is not a comprehensive thank you, nor a detailed exploration of the past…it’s just a glimpse. I hope no one is offended by that.

Another one is Waiting for Dani, by JustSkipIt, probably one of the most wellknown authors from Pens, and a lovely lady. It's a uberfic, set in a universe not unlike our own medieval times, wherein magic not only exists and is practiced openly, but it's almost grounds for nobility itself. It's been a long time since I read this one, so I might be wrong on this last thing It's a very original setting, and Debra's descriptions are great. It also deals with issues of power imbalance in a relationship.

Last but not least, The Coven. The author's description:
Quote:
A SF/fantasy tale of political economy set approximately 75 years into the future, but with a dismaying lack of any social progress regarding certain things like poverty and social equality.

Action filled and delightfully plotfull, it presents a very bleak future, all the more dark because you could actually see things going that way in the real world. It's not exactly complete. I though I would add it anyway because the prologue is complete, and it can really stand on its own as a story, despite leaving unresolved things. It is after all just a prologue! There are also a few installments of the first part. It's not often updated, but it's still on-going.

Hope you like them, and I also hope the author's don't mind me recommending them without asking permission first

Ich bin für Liebe, ich bin für die die's lieben zu leben; ich bin für die, die Liebe geben auch wenns schwer ist im Leben.
- Curse, "Widerstand"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 4
Quote:
I also hope the author's don't mind me recommending them without asking permission first

What? Are you nuts? This was great! It's the first time anyone recommended something I wrote, and it made my day! THANK YOU.

[tiny voice] BTW, yes, I'm working on updating The Coven. [/tiny voice]

binky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:06 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I simply have to recommend Van Rosenberg by the brilliant and prolific Alcy. This story is absolutely epic but very finely crafted. It's quite like a puzzle and the reader gets small clues and glimpses in each update but doesn't get the full idea until very near the end. It's scientific and historical and extremely erotic not to mention starring Willow, Tara, Faith, and Lara Croft!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:35 am 
3. Flaming O

The Outing and Happily ever after, both by Mainer is a awesome fic.
Wilow and Tara have like 10 kids, its really good ad you have to read it

(How do you do that thing where the name is the link? I have no idea how.)

:pride :party :pinky :kdevil :kgeek :kitty :wtkiss :peace :smash

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:24 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hmm...I'd have to say any of Laragh's works! I personally enjoyed Frothy Goodness the most. They're all- mostly-angst free stories, just light, happy love stories with plenty of laughs and sex xD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:48 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 6
Hey, here are my two favourite fics. They're both unfinished, but I really hope someday there will be updates...

First there's The Game of love (viewtopic.php?t=3031) by Sheba. It's a great fic, very slow buildup and some very spicy details sometimes, though no smut (yet). Nearly no angst, and if the author is planning to update anytime soon, I think kissage is very closeby

Second there's Neverland (viewtopic.php?t=3033) by EasierSaid aka Heather. Again a great fic, lots of angst, but a lot of (dream)smut to make it better... It was a long time since there was an update, but (again) the story is about to become very interesting for our girls...

I'm also a great fan of Laragh's work, little angst and good if you're feeling down...

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:20 pm 
5. Willowhand

Here's my favorites. And yes, I have quite a few.

First, anything by Lisa Countryman, Alcy, Antigone Unbound, Tara the Phoenix, or Laragh.

Blameburner's Into the Woods- freaking hilarious
CN Winters and Susan Carr's Show Me- I'm not sure if it's on here, but it's one of my favorite smutfics.
Chris Cook's Hellebore- Very long, but amazingly written, and can you say hot?
Dreiser's Just One of the Wiccans- Another incredibly funny fic, with a twist. (Literally!) I love Anya in this one.
Ghostwriter's Restoration- One of my favorites, a s4 reunion before Tara dies
Spike4MeMow's S4 Behind the Scenes- A canon fic, very well done, and long
Naeryn's A Year of Souls- S4, but dark. Very sweet, though, and gives a good look into Tara's issues.

I am the Queen of Mosquitoes personified, feel my annoying wrath! ~Willow, The Rose

False Euphoria ~~~ Eternity Again

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:53 am 
2. Floating Rose

uhmm.. can somebody recommend a fic that has our couple realize well not right away that they like each other, the one where the development would usually take months and months before they realized it or before they become a couple? i don't mind if it has angst :D

Kirstin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:05 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Neverland.

Absolutely, Neverland. They're STILL not together yet... though with any luck, we're getting close. And apparently Heather does still intend to finish it.

On a side note: my fic got recommended! :party

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:44 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

I've read many, many, MANY W/T fics, but thge one that sticks most in my mind (aswell as being one of the last I read) was The Cross, by lilcheesenip.

Sumary:
When Willow Rosenberg came out to her friends, she expected their full support-or at least some of it. Never in her wildest dreams did she imagine that they would turn their backs on her, leaving her to navigate the hallways of hell in high school friendless. Now alone, and depressed, Willow struggles to make it through life day-by-day until she agrees to show her language arts teacher's niece around school, and her life changes drastically.

Tara is beautiful, and kind, but that is hardly shown. Traumatized by the loss of her mother, which she witnessed and could not stop, she refuses to let down the walls she has built around herself. Willow tries to break through them only to discover she has similar walls around herself. Can two damaged hearts meet, and finally find peace again?

It is by FAR one of the best fics I've ever read. It's AU, but has all the old characters, aswell as some others. Very angsty, but so worth it at the end.

http://thekittenboard.net/thekitt/viewtopic.php?t=5802
(Not sure if that ln worked, I've never linked before haha. If it didn't, you can find it one the first page of the different coloured pens thread )

Also, if you like that, read Saving Grace by lilcheesenip aswell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:52 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 3
Can someone recommend a fic thats angsty and long? I've got some time on my hands and I'm bored. Maybe something like Hellebore if you know of one.

"Not a word is ever needed to excuse you loving me." Willow to Tara in Katharyn's Sidestep Chronicles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:01 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 1
I suggest Sidestep Chronicle (the first one) by Katharyn. It makes my fic look cheery.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

ditto sidestep by katharyn, all three. read the feadback, mostly the first two, it makes it all that more special.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:39 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
Many excellent stories have been recommended, but a few of my favorites haven’t been. That needs fixing. My absolute favorite has gotten a nod, but the previous recommendation didn’t address what I love about it, so I’ll review it here anyway. While I think each of these stories are great simply for reading, I particularly advise anyone who wants to write to look at these and take apart how they're done. They've each taught me a lot.

I'm not really good at "here's a list of what I liked about this thing," so I've written more review-style comments. I've tried to include enough information in each so you can get a sense of if you'll like it yourself. I know I go on about style a lot, but, well, that's the way I think about stories.

In alphabetical order:

Donegal Street by wayland (33k words)
Donegal Street is the best exploration of Willow's addiction and recovery. Hands down.

Set a year after Tabula Rasa, Donegal Street uses the framework of a reconciliation story to explore Willow's addiction as what it is: a mental illness. It touches on everything from the fallout of such an illness on the family to Willow's motivations for starting--and not stopping--her use of magic. The grief, the shame, the upheaval of everyone's life: all palpable, never overdone, and hauntingly real.

The reader spends four claustrophobic days with Willow and Tara: the spotlight is bright, harsh, and lingers on the characters' flaws, oftentimes casting deep shadows over their strengths. The treatment is not unkind, however, and is demonstrably born of a deep appreciation for the characters. It is respect, not malice, that drives this unflinching look at their actions and motivations, and the result is characters that feel very real. There are no saints in this story, only people.

From chapter one, Donegal Street demands your attention, so go to the story prepared to think. The careful reader will be rewarded with a far richer experience. The story is told at every level of writing: word choice, sentence structure, and POV are all pulled into play to show the movement of the story. The changing use of language is as powerful at showing character movement as anything else; moreso than what the characters tell themselves, certainly, because those are often lies. The words on the page may thin, but don't think that means the moment is simple.

There are no simple answers on Donegal Street, but it is well worth the trip. Just remember to pack some tissues.

Night of Broken Glass by Junecleavage (112k words)

Inspired by Aimée & Jaguar, Night of Broken Glass takes Willow and Tara to WWII Berlin. Those familiar with the original need not worry: Willow and Tara get their happy ending.

The story takes place in 1943, five years after the eponymous Kristallnacht. Nazi Germany provides a fascinating setting for reimaging a great number of characters and themes from BtVS. They feel surprisingly at home.

While there are anachronisms abound, the mood feels accurate. Fear, violence, and death are ever-present (even more than Sunnydale), and rightly so: Willow’s ethnicity and orientation are matters of life or death. There’s a constant sense of dread, but it often plays out as a drive to live today, because tomorrow may never come. The German people, from the Good Germans to the Nazi soldiers we meet, are never simply dismissed as evil. The villains we do encounter are clearly psychotic individuals who have risen to their positions due to the environment; they’re not just bad because they’re German.

There are a lot of moving pieces in Night of Broken Glass: a lot of character stories that interweave. Though the core of the plot is driven by the love story between Willow and Tara, the camera frequently leaves them behind to visit other characters. I tend to prefer a more consistent point of view, but the camera movement here is done well and comes together for a dramatic climax that wouldn’t have worked as well without it.

A remarkable quality of this story is the use of sex scenes. Not only do they provide for a lot of characterization and character development, they each matter to plot. All while being ridiculously hot. It’s a magical amalgam.

Night of Broken Glass is tense, violent, and full of close calls. Provided you can stomach that, it is a compelling and exciting read. (And the sex. Did I mention the sex? 'Cause . . . the sex.)

Waiting for Dani by JustSkipIt (95k words)

I told myself I wasn’t going to repeat anyone else’s recommendations, but Waiting for Dani is my favorite story here, so I can’t just skip it. (I think I'm so funny.)

Waiting for Dani opens with an instantly recognizable image: Tara sitting in the dark, staring out a window, and waiting. The story, however, is far from familiar. Set in a fantasy world, Tara is the highest of high nobility, having inherited both title and magic in a matriarchal society. Though it takes place in a fantastical setting, the core of the story is Tara’s character development and understanding of the complex social structure in which she lives. At the center of both is Dani (read: Willow).

The story is told in the first person as Tara recounts her life story to the reader as she waits. She tends to relate only the thoughts and feelings she had at the time of the events she describes, which allows the reader’s understanding of the world to grow with Tara’s. There is, however, occasional commentary from the “present” Tara, enough to convey a sense of foreboding: from the opening it is clear that Tara waits because something terrible has happened, but we don’t know what.

JustSkipIt exploits this tight point of view, the unreliable narration of a young, flawed, and naïve woman, to deliver a powerful kick to the gut. Though the feedback throughout the story is wonderful, other readers may piece together what’s wrong before you do: if you don't want it spoiled, you may want to save reading the feedback for a highly-recommended second read.

Waiting for Dani I believe holds the honor of having the least graphic sex scenes that JustSkipIt has posted. They style fits the source of narration: a twenty-year-old girl too embarrassed to go into detail. Though not explicit, they are emotional and key to the plot movement. (If you somehow don’t know where to read graphic sex by Deb, just look at her author entry in the archives. You’ll find some.)

Readers unfamiliar with fantasy may be intimidated or put off by the opening chapter, which is dense in titles and history, but rest assured that it not the style of the majority of the piece.

Waiting for Dani is an utter joy to read, not to mention an absolute must for writers who want to understand why the hell they should care about point of view.

P.S. An outline for a sequel has been written, so maybe if we shower enough love and attention on this story, Deb will take the time to write that. *insert winning smile*

What Would Willow and Tara Do? by dlline (2k words—exactly, by MS Word’s count)

Every community has clichés. Even ours. In this highly-meta and very funny piece, Willow and Tara take us to task.

Just . . . go read it. It’s 2000 words.

Required reading if you want to write on the board.

By the way, the rest of this short-fic thread is also delightful, particularly if you like really hot, well-written sex. I would further recommend her longer fiction, but since they’re published books, they’re not posted on the board and therefore don’t qualify (they are, however, board stories at their core.)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:31 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hi guys,

As my final exams are over, I wanted to read a long and angst W/T fic.
I love angst, but happy ends are required. Let me know if you've got something for me :)
Thanks anyway.

Mels~

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:00 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hey so I'm new to this site, and I've never read any Willow and Tara fics before and I would love some recs please and thank you =). I

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:15 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

harhar91 wrote:
Hey so I'm new to this site, and I've never read any Willow and Tara fics before and I would love some recs please and thank you =). I

A great place to start would be to work your way through this thread from the first page. There's tons of good stuff already mentioned. Most of the recommendations listed in this thread are completed fics. There are many on-going fics which are located here on the PENS forum. Just close your eyes and pick a thread. :wink If you want specific story content, post a request in the "Looking For.." thread.

Enjoy and welcome to the Kitten! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Thank you so much :-).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:38 pm 
9. Gay Now

harhar91 wrote:

I agree with what Kajun said. Just start looking and you're bound to find good stuff :D

"Between a laugh and a tear, And that's as good as it can get for us, And there ain't no reason to stop tryin'" - John Cougar Mellencamp, "Between A Laugh And A Tear"

"I've always been a big fan of books." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:49 pm 
2. Floating Rose

foxycas wrote:
Hi guys,

As my final exams are over, I wanted to read a long and angst W/T fic.
I love angst, but happy ends are required. Let me know if you've got something for me :)
Thanks anyway.

Mels~

Well, exams were over a year ago, so if you're still interested in long and angsty, I highly recommend Sassette's Answering Darkness viewtopic.php?f=13&t=817

One of my favorite fics from one of my favorite authors. Hella good!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm 
9. Gay Now

I know how "popular" the idea is (Judging from how many I've) but does anybody know any really good fics where our girls are in High School? I've been considering diving into the large amount of those fics, but I'd like to read one that some would hold in high regard.

"Between a laugh and a tear, And that's as good as it can get for us, And there ain't no reason to stop tryin'" - John Cougar Mellencamp, "Between A Laugh And A Tear"

"I've always been a big fan of books." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:55 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Looks like it's been awhile since anyone posted a recommendation... so I'm going to pull up my newbie socks and go out on a limb and do just that.

As I mentioned in my "introduction" post I've been lurking for awhile. I spent the majority of my sneaky time reading the fics and the authors recommended right here in this thread, so I will try not to be redundant.

Instead of recommending titles, I'm going to share my personal "Top 10 list" of authors.

Here they are (in no particular order):

1. Tulipp
2. AntigoneUnbound
3. Katharyn Rosser
4. LipKandy
5. DarkWiccan
6. JustSkipIt
7. Lisa Countryman
8. RaspberryHats
9. Artemis
10. Alcy

All of these writers have unique qualities that make their work particularly excellent. Their individual works have been recommended again and again here in this thread - I'm just adding my voice to the choir. Really, anything by any of these folks is worth your time. Tulipp's work particularly takes my breath away.

I will say (just because I only finished reading it and I also see that she is BACK here on the board - woohoo!) that DarkWiccan's Leave It to Giles is one of the most hilarious things I have ever read, and also super sweet and unlike anything else I've seen.

But again, anything by anyone one of these writers is just AWESOME.

Enjoy!
Ani

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:35 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Um....where are the completed fics? All the links seem to send me to broken places.
<sad>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:27 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
innergeek wrote:
Um....where are the completed fics? All the links seem to send me to broken places.
<sad>

Working on a solution to this now.

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:12 am 
3. Flaming O

innergeek wrote:
<sad>

The links are not working because there's been a change to the path for all the URI's from thekittenboard.com/board/* to thekittenboard.com/thekitt/*; and redirect isn't working for the new path, for whatever reason. You can access the content of your broken link by manually changing it in the URL bar.

Laragh wrote:

Working on a solution to this now.

Thanks for being on it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:37 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
thespian_phryne wrote:
The links are not working because there's been a change to the path for all the URI's from thekittenboard.com/board/* to thekittenboard.com/thekitt/*; and redirect isn't working for the new path, for whatever reason. You can access the content of your broken link by manually changing it in the URL bar.

Just to add to this, you can try thekittenboard.net/thekitt/ if you're having trouble still with the .com (I've had mixed results)

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

Post subject: Re: Re: The Pens Recommendation Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:36 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 9
wish I would have done this years ago, but I recommend The Lamb by TaraPhoenix -
I recommend it with a heavy trigger warning and angst caution. The phrase 'hush, little Tara' still haunts me. It is stark and sad but in the end full of redemption and hope.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4875

Post subject: Re: Re: The Pens Recommendation Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:27 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 9
I have been on and off this board for about 15 years, and I am continually still finding these hidden gems. I highly, fervently recommend The True Story and Me and She by Millerchip77 found here: viewtopic.php?t=5509
It's a season 4 canon fic, told from Willow's POV- and it is one of the best things on this site of fics with very high awesomeness bars. This work is intelligent and sweet and quirky and hysterical and so lyrical- the words dance and flow, and I am swept up.