The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How do you give back - The Community Service Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:57 pm 
28. Com...plete

JustSkipIt wrote:
Jas - I have a lot of trouble with my iron so when know I want to donate, I take double iron for 3 days before. That usually works for me.

Thanks for the suggestion Deb! Iron supplements hadn't even occurred to me, but it does seem like the obvious thing to try.

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:13 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Donating double platelets. My iron was crazy high today. I guess because I have been eating extra Kale and spinach.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:07 pm 
9. Gay Now

After a long deferment from the Red Cross I've come back strong. Although I haven't donated as much as I would like due to conflicting schedules and other issues. I feel like the champ again after my layoff. All of my donations have been nice and smooth. Seeing the staff again has been wonderful too. They truly make my day.

I've donated a double product of platelets on October 19th, November 3rd and today. I hope to finish strong by the end of this year. My count stands at 9 platelet donations and 2 blood donations for this year. Still not happy with those numbers. Hopefully next year I can reach the max amount of donations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:13 pm 
9. Gay Now

You know my health is my wealth. Seeing that today is Thanksgiving it was important for me to visit the Red Cross for my platelet donation. I am thankful to be healthy enough to do something as important as this. Today's donation made it all the more special. I finished this month with style. I look forward to starting out December this way. Hopefully I can finish the year off strong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:16 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I did a platelet donation yesterday. My center now sort of lets you adjust the amount. 3.6 is single. 7.2 is double. 10.2 is triple. I've done a few triples but that didn't work well for me and took a long time. Last time I was cold and only did 6.4 which is considered a big single. Yesterday I did 8.8. I had time and a pretty high platelet count. And I did fine with that level of anti-coagulant. I think that is 8 donations this year. I'd like to get 2 more done in 2013 and at least 12 in 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
28. Com...plete

I'm still trying to get my iron high enough to donate blood again; two weeks ago I qualified as full-on anemic, though at the high end, so my hopes aren't high but I'm going to try next week since I'll be in Austin where it's easier to do.

~Jas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:36 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I did another platelet donation today. 8.8 again so a big double. Nick, who is a real joker wanted me to do a triple but the other times I have done so I felt like shit afterwards. My platelet count was high (366 which I think was my highest ever) so it was relatively fast. Maybe 50-55 minutes. But start to finish the donation still took a few hours from check in, questions, waiting, etc.

And my sister's birthday is this week so I'll be making a charity donation somewhere but haven't decided where yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:12 pm 
9. Gay Now

I did what I set out to do and finished this year strong at the Red Cross.

I donated platelets, platelets, platelets like crazy. I went on December 5th, 12th, 19th and today. I was suppose to go on the 26th, but I received a nice Christmas present the day before. I got a cold. :( Messed up my plans to donate blood on January 2nd. It just means I'll donate blood this weekend.

I have another cool thing to share, but don't want to ruin it since someone special will read this. I don't want to ruin my surprise for you girl. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:49 am 
28. Com...plete

I've been taking iron supplements for 2 weeks, but today my iron was still too low. I don't think there's any chance to get my iron up before I leave town, so I guess I'll have to try after I get back to school. I might need to double up, or follow my dr's suggestion of prenatal vitamins. I'm getting very frustrated with not being able to give blood!

~Jas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:36 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jas - I don't think I've ever said this before because I get frustrated at all the people who COULD donate blood and don't, but maybe donating blood isn't a great activity match for you. Maybe you want to seek another way to serve? Or keep trying with the iron supplements and eat lots of spinach and kale.

I did another platelet donation on Thursday - my first of what I hope will be >= 12 donations in 2014. My platelet level was very high and I made it past a double (7.2) but then got very nauseated. The machine was programmed for 9.8 but I told the tech I felt nauseated and I know I looked pretty green. She immediately stopped the run and send my return and tipped up my feet and handed me a barf bag and some gatorade. I felt pretty wonky all evening but better after the gatorde and cookies etc.

Doubles only for me from now on!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:55 pm 
28. Com...plete

JustSkipIt wrote:
Jas - I don't think I've ever said this before because I get frustrated at all the people who COULD donate blood and don't, but maybe donating blood isn't a great activity match for you. Maybe you want to seek another way to serve? Or keep trying with the iron supplements and eat lots of spinach and kale.

Since anemia is a fairly recent problem for me (until 3 or 4 months ago my iron had only been too low once!), I'm not ready to give up quite yet. I should do better with eating spinach though! I was bad about it while I was home, but now that I'm back at school I'll have more access so I hope between better diet and vitamins in a few weeks I'll be eligible. Only time will tell! Thanks for the advice Deb :)

~Jas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:59 pm 
9. Gay Now

The Champ lives on. To this day I haven't paid for my own ice cream at Cold Stone. I am robbing the Red Cross. :P The workers at Cold Stone are getting use to seeing me almost every week. It's a nice perk. I am grateful to both the Red Cross and Cold Stone for hooking it up.

More importantly I donated blood on January 4th.
I donated platelets on January 10th, 24th and today.

Last year my official count was 14 platelet donations and 2 blood donations.

Hopefully I can surpass those numbers this year. Make big things happen here in 2014. My overall count throughout the years is 90 donations for both blood and platelets combined. I am hoping to reach a 100 platelet donation mark some time in the future. This would be something real special.

So far this year I have 1 blood donation and 3 platelet donations. Not bad for a months work.

On a side note I am also grateful to the Red Cross for having the movie ticket promo last year. It gave me the opportunity to share the love with my platelet partner. You do just as much as me girl on so many levels. Here's looking at you kid. ;)

I was going to Subway the other day and saw a homeless man. His name was Ted. I hooked him up with some Subway and went across the street to CVS to get him some over the counter meds. He wasn't feeling to well and knew what he needed. No matter the reason why people end up on the streets it's a sad reality. Not knowing when your next meal is and not having anyone really look out for you and be there. It makes me reflect more on my life. I already know how blessed I am that's a given. I just think I could easily be one of those people on the streets too. A lot of things can change.

Last edited by BeneathMyWillowTree on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:10 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jen - and thank you for the tickets and shirt. Your numbers are great. I am at 2 platelet donations in 2014. The first was a double plus and the second was a triple. Hopefully I can go back either this Monday or Thursday. I think I am at 108 donations lifetime at this center and then I probably have 15 or 20 at assorted other centers.

I love your generosity!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:45 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I managed a triple platelet donation today. So that's 2 triples and a big double this year. Woo hoo!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:00 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I am donating platelets right now. It should be a triple and will be my 4th donation this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:27 pm 
28. Com...plete

Successfully donated blood for the first time in almost 7 months! Wooo! Sticking with my daily vitamin and eating spinach 1-2 times a day seems to (finally!) be combating my anemia.

~Jas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:10 pm 
9. Gay Now

So this month's details are as follows:

I donated platelets on February 14th and February 21st. Bringing my count to 1 blood donation and 5 platelet donations for this year. Sadly I missed donating on February 7th because my iron was low. I went to donate today but someone dropped the ball. My paperwork was incomplete which made me ineligiable to donate. I was ready too, but sadly it didn't happen.

I had some fun this month by going to PetSmart and buying a lot of cat food. I have never bought that much cat food. Long ago I made a promise to a special friend who rescues cats. I love her cause and why she does it. I wanted to contribute to it.

The other day when I went to get my mom's car serviced I saw an invoice sitting on the counter. I asked the owner if that person was a nice person. He didn't understand my question and so I had to ask again to get a simple answer. Once he answered I went ahead and paid her service bill. Without realizing who's bill I was paying the owner explained to me it belonged to an elderly woman. A woman who's sister use to work at his shop for over 20 years. She passed away last year and now this woman is alone. When she found out that I had paid her bill she became emotional because nobody has ever done that for her. Even the owners didn't know what to make of me and why I did what I did. They told me they have been doing what they do for 45 years. Never once has anyone done what I did.

I didn't know what to say to that. It wasn't about the money or praise. It was just in my heart to do that. Finding out the woman's back story after the fact made it all the more important. This won't stop here. I have other tricks up my sleeve. There are plenty of lists I have about traveling, making my life rich, my financial future, but there is also a list of random acts I wish to fulfill. This is just as important to me. Not to mention the funest way for me to spend my money. :) It has more meaning than the shoes I bought myself. More than buying food at a restaurant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:54 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jen - You are so wonderful with such a huge heart. You inspire me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:00 pm 
9. Gay Now

Deb - you're the best and deserve the best always.

I am so elated!!! I had my first out of state successful platelet donation. I can't believe I was finally able to do it. I am just so happy. I'm in Pennsylvania at the moment. I made a visit to Apheresis Greensburg Fixed Site, in the city of Greensberg. I am speechless because this is such a big deal to me. I am hoping I can do the same in the state of Colorado.

For now I have 48 more states to go. :) :P

My count for this year is now at 1 blood donation and 6 platelet donations.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:07 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jen - That is awesome! I thought you were out of the country. I have something to mail you from my wife that she says is a gift. I need to coordinate when you will be home.

I am still deferred and sort of frustrated about it. My community service lately has mostly been financial donations. I'm a regular donor to the food bank and this is the time of year that other people's kids are doing Jump Rope for Heart. A friend's sister just died 2 weeks ago of breast cancer and they asked for memorials to the St. Jude Children's Hospital so I made that donation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:46 pm 
9. Gay Now

El gran campeon lives on!!!! I am taking over the nation baby!!! One Love!!!!

I had a successful platelet donation in the state of Colorado in the city of Colorado Springs. There are certain regions the Red Cross doesn't cover as far as platelets is concerned. I spoke to the coordinator of Colorado who also covers Nebraska and she referred me to Bonfils. They cover platelets in regions the Red Cross doesn't. This was my first visit with them. There were a little differences like no double needle donations, instead of a computer I used a tablet to answer questions, the hemoglobin reader was like the Matrix let me tell you. As soon as they put the sample in it read my level. I was like say what??? The needle they used was way smaller than the ones the Red Cross sticks in me. The staff was pleasant and I had great conversations with all of them. It's really cool having the opportunity to do this and meeting the people I do. This is awesome! They took plasma from me as well. They would having taken double red cells, but they changed their protocol recently so they didn't. After my donation they took my vitals again. Something that the Red Cross doesn't do after you donate. So it's little things that are so different, but the end result is the same. :)

Another unexpected thing that happened was I was at the gas station and some guy pulled up behind me. He said jokingly 2 for 1 special. You can pump my gas too. He laughed and I told him to go for it then. He thought I was joking but I told him I wasn't. I told him to fill up his tank and I would pay for it. He didn't know what to make of me and questioned why I would do this? I didn't have an answer except why not? He was really grateful and just someone that you can tell doesn't get these sort of surprises. I was humbled by it and grateful for the unexpected opportunity.

Until my next adventure. My count this year is now at 7 platelet donations and 1 blood donation. I have 47 more states to go. Next on my agenda is Maryland. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 am 
28. Com...plete

This post isn't about me, but it seemed like a good place to put it.

I've been a vegetarian for about 9 years now, and today (not for the first time) I accidentally ate meat due to missing/incorrect labeling in the dining hall at my Uni. I made a rant-y post about it on facebook, and a friend of my sister's wound up offering to give up meat for a week to help me feel better and 'balance out'. I am blown away my her generosity! I hardly know her and we're not close, but it is honestly one of the nicest and most meaningful things anyone has ever offered to do for me.

~Jas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 am 
9. Gay Now

Yes, check Maryland off my list. It was so much fun interacting with the good people there. I had a serious conversation with a guy who can make shit happen there. It was funny and cool. I was like come on man the Red Cross I go to in Cali be hooking it up. No excuse for the mecca of all Red Crosses. They're in DC and considered the headquarters of them all.

Anyways I had a successful blood donation there. I have 4 states down and 46 more to go. :P I am hoping to add Arizona and Nevada to my agenda this year.

My count is now at 7 platelets and 2 blood this year. I'll be getting back into my platelet routine once I get back home.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:21 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I did a double platelet donation yesterday afternoon. It was my first in months after being deferred a few months ago while trying to do a triple. I am going to stick with doubles from now on. I also consented to participate in a research study where they will send my white blood cells from the platelet machine over to a researcher at UT who is studying the immune system.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:13 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I did another double platelet donation today. A "big double". When I texted Jenny B to say I was doing one she texted back that she was just finishing so it was KB double-double today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:36 pm 
9. Gay Now

I donated platelets on May 16th. My last platelet donation for the rest of this year until June 2015 was on June 5th. I am so sad about it, but made it count. I donated a fat double that could have easily been a triple. I was ambitious to reach my max this year. It's a goal I've always fell short of for many reasons. I'll try again because this isn't over.

My total count for this year stands at 9 platelets and 2 blood donations.

Now what do I do? :P I'll figure it out. Today some random youngster came up to me asking if I could help him with gas. I was feeling generous and didn't question him. I hooked him up with a full tank of gas. You know it's hard to tell whether a person is worthy of certain things or not, but I can't play God. I just try to plant a good seed no matter what. Patience, compassion, faith and hope is something I must practice everyday. For if I don't I will fail in trying to be the best person I can possibly be.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:11 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I donated double platelets today. But I'm logging this one on Jenny B's karmic ledger rather than mine.

There is a poster in the center with 5 men who have each donated over 80 gallons. Wow. I need to do the math and think about how often/long I would have to donate to come close.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:08 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

After 2 iron-level related fails I donated double platelets today. I've lost count but I'd still like to manage 15-20 donations this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I failed for iron a week ago on Monday but this Thursday I was good and donated a double of platelets. Yay me.

There was a little notice saying if you want "gallon level" pins, e-mail Cindy... I did and I have donated 16.5 gallons! She is leaving me a 16 pin at the front desk for my next time in. I'm pretty excited about having 16 gallons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:06 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I did a double platelet donation 2 weeks ago and another Monday. That's 18 in 2014.

I hope to complete 20 this year!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next