The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How do you give back - The Community Service Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:50 pm 
9. Gay Now

I donated blood today at the Red Cross. Although my goofy ass wasn't thinking about the time I dontaed last. I know your suppose to donate blood every 56 days and I was on my 33rd day since my last donation in England...oops! :P I didn't tell the Red Cross, but either way I felt fine. I plan on donating platelets again at the beginning of November. I know if I tried anytime soon my iron level would most likely be low.

Deb - Thank you for sending me your link to your donation page. I will drop some money your way. I just need to get paid. LOL. I am still completely broke since coming back from Europe. I am a comfortable broke person though cos everything was paid before I left and before I came back home. I am just starting to stack up my chips again. I know there's still time until your deadline. You are on my agenda. I love you girl!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:31 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Jenny B - Sneaking in that extra blood donation. Tee hee. No worries on my race - you've got plenty of time.

A friend is rappelling down a building in Houston to raise money for Special Olympics which is pretty darned cool. I made a donation this weekend. And my niece is hosting a softball game to raise money for Make-a-Wish for her Bat Mitzvah service project which I think is sort of amazing, especially since she's 13 years old. So I made a donation to Make a Wish and one to help her pay for shirts & lunch and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:40 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I donated a double unit of Platelets yesterday. I called and said did they want my blood or platelets more and the girl was like, "platelets, platelets, platelets." Seriously, I think everyone employee had already donated they were so short on platelets. A friend called last night to talk to Rachel and I told her the bank needs donations so she will go donate blood today.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:23 pm 
9. Gay Now

I was able to donate platelets today. I tried last week, but they stamped an L on my forehead because my iron level was low. :P

It was pretty cool today because I've never seen it that full for platelet donations. Right on people! I had no idea who you were, but you didn't go unnoticed by me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:35 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Today, I delivered 22 meals to 6 different families of those clients were HIV/AIDS positive. A lot of them couldn't either afford their meals or couldn't prepare their meals because of the blindness they had because of the virus.

My local HIV/AIDS non-profit does this every Thanksgiving morning, and this was the first year I did it. I look forward to doing this again in the years to come!

If i ran away, I'd never have the strength to go very far, How would they hear the beating of my heart? Will it grow cold?, The secret that i hide, will i grow old? How will they hear? When will they learn? How will they know?- Madonna-Live to Tell

-Samantha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:04 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jackie - that is way cool.

Let's see 2 weekends ago my niece did her big Bat Mitzvah project as a fundraising softball game for Make-a-wish. I donated $ to Make a Wish, donated $ to help defray costs of her game, and drove down to be an umpire for the day.

I donated this month to:
My sister's donorschoose project for her science classroom.
The ACLU for my nephew for Hannukah.
The local food bank for my brother for Hannukah.
A project called Project Night Night for my sister's birthday.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:20 pm 
9. Gay Now

I've been tearing it up at the Red Cross for the past few weeks! *The Champ Is Here*

On November 24th I donated platelets.

On December 5th I donated platelets.

On December 13th I made an appearence at some random blood drive being held at Southern California Edison. I really do like going to random places to donate blood. It's a great opportunity to meet different Red Cross staff, volunteers and donors. I always end up having good conversations with different people. It's funny cos at this drive one of the staff members who was easily in her 20's was calling me princess. I was like WTF??? I thought to myself girl I'm 30 years old, I'm no fucken princess. LOL. It cracked me up.

Today, December 21st I donated platelets. I got my ass kicked though. :paranoid They have a new procedure to follow for donors like me. Since I donated blood last week, I had to do a double needle donation. I was like oh hell no! Sucked big time! I don't like not having one free arm to move around. I have to keep donating platelets like this until my 56th day after donating blood. This is their way of reducing my red blood cell loss. They want to prevent deferment. It was brutal and I was in a lot of pain. Not from the needles, but from not being able to move my right arm. I was so uncomfortable but I toughed it out.

I don't want to be discouraged from donating blood anymore because of this. Both blood and platelets mean a lot to me. I have to figure out what to do where I won't feel pain and can be more comfortable. For now booooooo!!!! Although the nurse that attended me made me laugh. Or rather I made her laugh so hard. She was hot from all the layers of clothing she had on. So she said, "Okay Jen I'm going to go take my shirt off and I'll be right back with you." You can see where I'm about to go with this. LOL. I was like uuuuu Angela are you flirting with me girl? ;) Bring it on, I'm ready!!!! Everybody was busting up! I loved it!

I plan on going again before the end of this year. Red Cross showing some love back and hooking it up. Of course I never donate expecting something in return, but they have a promo going on right now. From November 24th to January 1st any successful platelet donation you receive a movie ticket. Very cool cos I have 3 tickets in the books. Too bad I can't donate every day. I'd be hooking everyone up! See how generous I am. :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm 
9. Gay Now

What a year! 2012 has been an amazing and memorable year for me. Thank you to anyone, and everyone who was part of making it what it was. You're in my thoughts as in my heart everyday. Not to say I didn't have some hiccups, but all in all it's the positive things and the love that matter in the end. Love, true love overlooks everything. It doesn't blind people, love is never a bad thing. Marilyn Monroe did say, "...sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." I've experienced this first hand on more then one occasion. People that fell apart in one form in my life became something better.

It's an amazing thing to give to the community, but to constantly give to those you love that's a beautiful thing too.

I added my finishing touches by seeing my peeps at the Red Cross. It was a great turn out. Lots of people were there today. I had a successful platelet donation. I feel great!!! I am happy and grateful to God for keeping me healthy and to be able to do what I do. I know I gotta take some credit cos I take care of myself, but God does the rest. Since I finished strong, I will start out strong in 2013. I will go every week to donate platelets and get to the max to what I am allowed to donate. Same goes for blood. I am also going to look into other things so I may expand my horizons.

An extra note thank you Deb for all the love you show me. Thank you for sharing part of your holiday with me. I haven't forgotten you an your upcoming run. Expect something from me next month. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm 
9. Gay Now

This month hasn't turned out quite how I expected as far as my donations are concerned.

On January 6th I donated a double unit of platelets.

On January 11th I tried donating blood while I was traveling, but wasn't able to cos my iron was low. :(

When I came back from vacation I was sick so there went the week of January 14-19.

I am happy to say that I did donate platelets today. So 2 times out of the month isn't too disappointing. I want to stick to my 4 times a month platelet donations though.

An extra special thing this month was supporting Deb on her Livestrong run. Not too late to drop some dollars her way people. What she and many others do in participating in such an event is a beautiful thing. Be apart of it in your own special ways.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:20 pm 
9. Gay Now

Booooo!!! My goal with the Red Cross isn't being met so far this year. I am disappointed! Not in anyone or anything. It's just the way circumstances have been playing out for me.

I donated platelets on February 1st. I only had 19 minutes left on my donation when I developed a hematoma. The area where the needle was at was swelling and I developed a nasty bruise. The nurse attempted to adjust the needle, but it was so not happening. They had to stop my donation, but it wasn't all in vain. I still gave a decent product of platelets.

Due to my hematoma, I was deferred for 2 weeks and advised that I would have to do a double needle until March 29th. They also added more bad news by telling me that I couldn't donate blood this month. I had an appointment, but was deferred from doing that until March 29th as well. Since my red blood cells couldn't be returned to my body I lost a lot of them. So again booooo to my circumstances.

I couldn't donate on February 8th because it wasn't my 2 week period yet. I wasn't available on February 15th because I was on holiday during that week. Damn, so much time being lost.

After a busy week I was available today to donate platelets. I was dreading it because of the double needle. I didn't want it in the standard place they stick you. My arm hurt too much when I last did that. So they placed the needle on my wrist. I was quite comfortable actually and had a super successful donation.

In conclusion it wasn't 4 times this month, but I did 2 platelet donations instead.

I am looking forward to the month of March. Hopefully I can pick up the pace. I also have something else planned for next weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:29 pm 
28. Com...plete

I finally made it to the Humane Society yesterday to volunteer; my orientation was two weeks ago, but I was sickish last weekend so I didn't make it out there. Yesterday I went for 4 hours, and it was great! I took a dog for a walk and then gave her 'quiet time', and played with/petted/cuddled with/groomed 7 cats, one of whom got adopted while I was snuggling with him. I hope to start going one or two mornings a week as well as Saturdays.

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:11 pm 
9. Gay Now

I had a great and active weekend. On March 2nd I volunteered with an organization called Corazon De Vida. (http://www.corazondevida.org) They financially assist numerous orphanages in Baja California and by visiting a different home each month. I had never gotten this involved into an organization before. It was a great experience and was nice to see where my money is actually going. Many times it's hard to donate to charities because people that need the funds may not get them. Or there's question as to what happens to said funds.

CDV also opened my eyes to how things work in Mexico. These orphanages aren't just for orphan kids; they also take in kids that were abandoned by their parents. If that wasn't enough, they take in kids that were taken away from their homes by the government due to abuse. The sad thing is that is all the government does. They intervene and take the child away, but once they are placed in any of these orphanages they don't provide any financial assistance. My heart was touched deeply because of CDV and the people that take care of these kids in these homes. If not for any of them who knows where these kids would be. They wouldn't have the roof over their heads, food, clean clothes, electricity, running water and a safe haven. The orphanages rely on organizations like CDV to help provide these things. The directors of these homes work hard to do whatever they can to get money to take care of these kids. I just couldn't believe all they have to do because the government does nothing to provide anything for them. I can go on and on about this. In the end it's a beautiful thing to see that there are people in this world that care enough to do what they do. In this case take care of countless kids that someone else failed to do. It is both heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

One last thing I wanted to share that is so random. When watching the dvd of CDV I was like WTF is Willow doing there??? LOL. No joke, Alyson Hannigan was on the dvd. Not as a speaker, but they showed footage of her and her husband visiting one of the orphanages. I had no idea Alyson knew about this organization, let alone alone volunteered to visit a home. So Miss Thang was across the border too at some point. :)

This post turned out longer then I had anticipated. I donated a double unit of platelets today, but not before getting my ass kicked. My bad luck with the Red Cross continues. Maybe I'm trying too hard to meet my goal that I'm getting so many set backs. My body is bitching!

Since I am still doing double needle this time around when getting poked in the wrist it sucked!!! OMG was it painful!!! :fit I couldn't move my fingers. We discovered it wasn't going to work because as soon as they started the procedure a hematoma formed. So they stopped and bandaged me up. Then I got poked a third time but higher up my arm and everything was great. Oh wait did I say great? Everything was until I got too hot. Once my body temperature gets too hot I start feeling nausea. They removed blankets and turned off the heating pad, but it was too late. I had to hurl. Good thing I never eat before donating cos I don't like the idea of getting rid of food like that. Not just that but with them watching me. No thank you! So all I did was hurl Tums so it wasn't bad. They put cold towels on my head and neck and a few minutes later I was fine. I went ahead with the procedure. Unfortunately though I had to stop altogether at one point because my arm was hurting. Sure enough I was getting another hematoma. That was my fault though because I had bent my arm after I hurled and I know I must have shifted the needle.

Today was hell!!! I am happy that I donated enough platelets to make it a worthy product in the end. Sadly though now I've been deferred from donating until April 20 something. Are you kidding me??? Once again I lost red blood cells since they couldn't return them in my body. I am so freakin bummed. Believe me this ain't over I have a trick up my sleeve. If it works out then I will be back here if not then I'll be saying what I have to say elsewhere. The Ranting or Crappy Feelings thread. :P

So far this year I've donated platelets 5 times. Blood 0 since I've been deferred. This sucks!!! I should totally be at 9 platelet donations and at 1 blood. :ashamed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:47 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jenny B - You are amazing. Truly. I have to admit that if I were having those sorts of problems, I would probably give up the donations for a while. Speaking of which... I think I'm finally well so I'm going to schedule a donation.

This Monday/Tuesday was the first (I hope first annual but I haven't heard that) Amplify Austin It was a 24 hour period intended to raise $1,000,000 for Austin charities. Another "I live here. I give here." I donated in the morning when the total was around $600,000. The total raised was 2.8 million!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:36 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I donated platelets today. It was my first donation this year. But I did a triple. My first ever triple. It was really smooth and easy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 pm 
28. Com...plete

My roommate and I took two dogs from the animal shelter for a hike today. There are trails nearby and we walked with them for nearly 3 hours. It was so much fun! I missed my usual shift playing with cats yesterday, so I was glad to make up for it. I hope to have some extra time there Thursday morning so I can give kitties TLC after I finish cleaning the main cat room; I didn't have time to play with them last Thrusday, and I miss them after this long. I do love feeling like I'm helping the animals, which I especially did today giving Roscoe and David Copperfield such a great outing, but it's also just a hell of a lot of fun. I'm really going to miss the shelter when I move, and I hope I can find one to volunteer at wherever I live next.

~Jas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 pm 
9. Gay Now

Since I'm taking a break from la Cruz Roja until May that is. I hope to donate in Washington DC next month.

I've had to focus my attention elsewhere. A very cool friend of mine is participating in the Walk For Kids de parte de Orange County Ronald McDonald House. Since I can't join her I dropped some dollars her way. It's funny too cos I hate McDonalds. PETA calls them McCruelty. :P Yet, this charity they have is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:43 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I am donating a triple of platelets right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:51 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Again I am donating triple platelets but the donation is going badly. I am going to be able to finish but this has not been easy today.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:33 pm 
9. Gay Now

Deb - A triple product of platelets, that is impressive my friend. When I find my way in Texas I hope to be able to donate with you. I've never shared my Red Cross experiences on a personal level like that with anyone.

Damn, I hadn't donated any blood or platelets since March. That is brutal, but I must admit my body didn't complain. I did a double product of platelets today. It was a super smooth donation.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 2
When I went in to talk with the principle of my school today, we decided that at lunch time it would be a good thing to keep me busy.

So by either sometime this year before the end of school, or starting next school year I'm going to be helping little kids in the Elementary end learn how to read! It's gonna be so awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:02 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I did a triple platelet donation yesterday. I'm happy that I can but I think I will stick to doubles in the future. The triple takes a really long time. More importantly, I feel very bad for the rest of the day.

Today I went to be Deputized to register voters in Travis county. The Tax assessor wants to register 200,000 more voters by the next presidential election. Woo hoo!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:03 am 
9. Gay Now

It feels like forever since I`ve posted here. I`ve been inactive from the Red Cross since my last donation. I donated blood at a local high school on June 6th. My total count for this year is 1 blood donation and 6 platelet donations. I don`t like these numbers at all. It should be higher but I`ve been having too many issues donating. I am not eligible to donate again until October 16th. Too long damn it!

If I can`t donate in the USA then I`ll do it in another country. :D I am so stoked that today Canada became my 4th country to have a successful blood donation. After getting on the bus and hopping on the Metro I found my way to Complexe Desjardins, Montreal. The staff was super nice. Catherine (the nurse) was amazing! I didn`t feel the needle go in my arm. No joke, she was that good. I am so happy! Anyone that knows me knows how important this is to me. Today is a beautiful day. I shall celebrate at the gay village tonight. lol Oh Canada eh!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:16 pm 
28. Com...plete

I successfully donated blood on Thursday; Wednesday my iron was too low so I was worried I wouldn't be able to this trip, but I managed to raise my iron 2 points, yay! It's only the second time I've donate this year, since I've found it much more difficult outside Austin. Hoping I can find somewhere near my Uni for an October donation.

~Jas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Yay for both Jenny B and Jas for blood donations. I'm on leave this week and hoping to donate platelets while I'm off. No more triples though. Just a double.

I went to the back to school event at the elementary down the street and registered voters yesterday. I think I registered 6 plus I handed out 3-4 mail in cards. I need to go and turn them in at the tax office. The principal was really nice and welcoming and said he would love to keep some of the mail-in cards (in English and Spanish) in the office. I'm registering voters for Travis County and also Battleground Texasx.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:07 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
I am going to help out out the food bank today since I out of a job and single again, I thought I could might as well do something for the community.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:01 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Wow . . so many of us doing so much. Pretty wonderful. . . . for me it's donating money, clothes and also working with people who have never acted before but are willing to take a risk. I love their courage and their open minds and open hearts. I'm technically a teacher, but I get more from them . . . they have changed my life and changed me for the better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:14 am 
3. Flaming O

I donated lots of my cloths yesterday for kids and made some pictures for them. Feels really good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I donated platelets today. A double. I feel bad that I have not done more donations this year.

I also sent a Chipotle gift card to a friend who is living frugal. And we went to dinner with some friends who don't have much money. When Rachel was making plans the mom's only requirement was someplace cheap so we just bought their dinner. Not a big deal I just said can we buy and she said yes thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 pm 
28. Com...plete

I tried to donate blood today as there was a drive at my school and it's been nearly 3 months since my last donation, but my iron was too low. The last few months I've been eating spinach every day, and beans nearly every day, so I'm not sure what more I can do... But, I'll try to make it to the blood bank in the next week or two to try again.

~Jas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:58 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jas - I have a lot of trouble with my iron so when know I want to donate, I take double iron for 3 days before. That usually works for me.

I donated to something. I forget what.

And I donated 8 hours of sick leave to our office sick leave pool (so people who have a serious illness can use it).

And today I donated to our food bank because of the nationwide cut in SNAP benefits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next