The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shadow Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:35 am 

posted 11-22-2000 12:35 EST (US)
Okay, I kinda of like the Joyce sick story line. I do think they did too much of the Buffy looking sorrowful at the hospital thing. She's got that wide eyed thing working too hard as of late. I like the story because it's something Buffy can't just 'kill' and make better. Tara was all about the happy looks every time she turned to Willow the whole episode Amber's make-up - bleckish - but I like the dark hair. Although, I do think a lighter shade fits her better. They need to stick to the natural shades for her fer jeez shakes! Um, Aly looked good. Does her hair actually look lighter? Could be my eyes. Loved Anya and Spike. Riley... so over him! The trailer def looks like WillTara up on the roof for a romantic star gazing, snuggles, night Back to Angel.

Oh, couple more things. I love how Glory just always beats the crap out of Buffy... don't know why, just do. Watch when Riley comes into the Magic Box. In the background Tara is leaning against the bookcase and Willow comes up and their reading a book together. Does Willow kinda lean into Tara? Oh, I think so. Oh and I guess TPTB finally gave Charisma the okay to go without the extensions! Thank god! I love her new hair cut!!!

------------------
Life if it was sweet,
would mean your touch is complete.
Around my mind forever
simply one love divine... together.

[This message has been edited by SciFiAcid (edited 11-22-2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:40 am 

posted 11-22-2000 12:40 EST (US)
well, i for one pretty much enjoyed this episode. i find glory's (and her follower for that matter) dorky dialogue a funny contrast to her position as a formidable adversary to buffy.

i do have to agree though that rileys whining is getting old. its all hes done this season it seems! i hope they have *something* planned for him soon, because him leaving or dying now would just be very anticlimactic. a slow downward spiral is not appreciated. either you go out with a bang or you dont go out at all dangit! im partial to the he gets vamped theory. that would be very interesting, and of course fitting to what spike sees as buffys desire for "dangerous" fellows. poorpoor riley.

i thoroughly enjoyed the blame-it-on-anya scene, that girl never ceases to give me a hearty chuckle or two each episode ^^

oh yeah, enjoying the brain tumor (man that sounds morbid) and buffy's protecting of dawn. shes really growing on me! when that snake came into the shop i was screaming in fear for her! well not really..it was only a gasp or two, but i was still concerned! :P

sure the effects were lackluster, there was only snippets of w/t, but overall im content.
a nice beginning to my thanksgiving break :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:41 am 

posted 11-22-2000 12:41 EST (US)
I'm not really into Tara's hair darker. But I don't hate it.

SciFiAcid Most people seem to like the Joyce's tumor storyline. I agree that the idea of there being something Buffy can't fight is a good one. I am not loving the execution (at least not tonight). I am also quite tired of moms with cancer who make daughters come to epiphanies storylines that flooded the big screen for awhile. I do think that Joss is smarter than that, so I am holding out hope. And I also hope it doesn't turn out that the energy that is the key that is Dawn is somehow responsible for the cancerous growths (I'm thinking of that doctor asking Buffy if they live near power lines, if mom uses cell phone, etc.) Hopefully, that's just a red herring.

[This message has been edited by judy (edited 11-22-2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:43 am 

posted 11-22-2000 12:43 EST (US)
Hmmm, len, I think I'm with you on Riley . I don't find "his stuff" boring at all.

Just in general, I like the fact that the characters on the show aren't completely lovable or admirable. Sure, Riley has a bit of a complex stemming from the type of insecurity one associates with immature concepts of masculinity; but he's a product of his culture, just like Buffy and the others are. Part of the feminist in me cringed watching the ep _Halloween_ when it reran last month, seeing how high-school Buffy wanted to be "a real girl", but the show isn't always about how people *should* be, it's about how people are. (And in any case, the final message of Halloween was positive wrt whether girly weak Buffy was better or Buffy-Buffy was better!)

And I think it's true to character for Riley to worry about Angel in both a "macho-pissing contest" way and a "maybe-Buffy-likes-'em-dark" way. "Silly"? I prefer more an assessment of "unproductive" or "self-hurting"; but I think that's what human beings do to themselves (and others) sometimes.

As to the episode, I did think as well that some of the snake effects were not very well done, but the guts of the show worked for me, i.e. the various emotional stories going on -- Joyce and Buffy, Buffy and Dawn re their mom, Riley and Buffy, Riley and Dawn.

And I also agree with those who think that Glory is not a particularly scary villain; but to me, she's still entertaining in her completely over-the-top self-focus. The villains last season didn't really impress me much either (Adam and the Initiative), but again, what I was completely engaged with were the more human stories going on. It's probably the case, as someone already suggested, that having villains actually interact, and maybe hurt, the Scoobies, like Angelus did, would make for a more intense storyline there, but I can accept that not every season will do that, and given that the most interesting demons I see the characters fighting are those of the more real-world kind anyway (i.e. insecurity, uncertainty, fear, pain, loss), I think it bothers me less when the overt baddies are, as some might put it, "lame".

Oh yes, this is a W/T board, right ? Um, again possibly out on a limb, although it is gratifying in some respects to see Tara integrated into the gang, I also would like her to retain some distinctiveness. Her being different was very apparent when she felt and acted like an outsider, but what makes her stand out now? I'm not sure I want just another Willow-like magic-explainer. And yes, the fact that her hair and dress have become less and less like her original look (which I liked, again for the fact that I don't really want every character on the show to be what is admired and "cool" or "hot", and that includes their clothing style) and more and more like Willow's doesn't help.

All in all, loving this season as much if not more than the last ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 11:28 am 

posted 11-22-2000 13:28 EST (US)
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk B:
I kind of thought Anya's fear of bunnies (such as it was) stemmed from the costume she wore in FEAR ITSELF.

Unfortunately that's not the answer. In "Fear Itself " she picked that costume because she thought it was scary. Why a vengeance demon would be scared of such innocent creatures is a beyond me.

I do like Glory. Not only is she pyschotic and vain, I love the way she injects those caustic remarks while throwing Buffy around like a rag doll. There is no way Buffy will be able to defeat Glory by herself. This is definitely going to take a group effort.

Judging from the apartment that Glory has and the amount of money she's spending on clothes she must be well off financially. I wonder if that ties in with the fact that Anya had no visable means of support until she took the job at the Magic Shop. Anya has been around for a thousand years and Glory has been around even longer. Is it possible that over the centuries they both aquired some trinkets that would now be considered priceless. Maybe Anya is worth a fortune and she doesn't realize it. Remember she has no real concept of money.

[This message has been edited by Roxton (edited 11-22-2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 11:36 am 

posted 11-22-2000 13:36 EST (US)
Just saw the ep and I thought it was ok.

The Spike scene was GREAT(as always)!!
The panty part and the blanket part were hilarious.

Was it me or is Willow starting to dress a little more hip nowadays? It's nice to see (it's ALWAYS nice to see her) her looking somewhat cool, but I hope she dosen't turn too cool because then we won't be able to make any bad clothes jokes anymore.

Enough Buffy/Riley mushy-ness...I think I'm gonna yak! Pleaser kill him NOW!! Or even better, Vamp him and let Spike kill him.

Vey nice to see lotsa Tara parts (why she still dosen't have an intro like the rest of the cast, I'll never know), like her and Giles. That was cool to see.

All in all, this ep was a little slow and the snake moster was a little cheesy.

To WB: Please give Joss and the gang the xtra $1 million per ep so we don't have to see crappy monsters anymore.

rant complete.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 11:56 am 

posted 11-22-2000 13:56 EST (US)
On my obessive frame by frame viewing, I noticed that when Willow comes in the shop and Tara first goes around the counter to greet Willow, Willow has her hand on Tara's arm and is grinning like a fool at her. Ahh.. the little joys in life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 12:00 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 14:00 EST (US)
isn't it great that aly and amber add these little unscripted parts just for us?

sigh...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:15 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 15:15 EST (US)
hey y'all. ok, so to clear up anything from my mindless bumblings... it's probably a rooftop. sorry i even brought up the dock. i dunno. does sunnydale even have a dock?

ok, the Tara's hair is fine then but the black nail polish has got to go. she looked too unicolored. red lipstick would have been nice or some other than whatever she was wearing. and i honestly cannot look at her. I know! it's so sad cause i'm the biggest tara fan and i sadly cringed to look at her. (notice how i said tara not amber, not that i dont like amber, i do and i understand she has nothing to say about her looks, but i'm talking about the character here not the actor and blah, blah, blah)(oh! i LOVED will's hair this week! it was the best this season in my opinion.)

xita, hola chica! there's this fanfic i read a while ago that had W/T on a rooftop and they made snow. it was sooooo cute! i just cant remember who wrote it. :/

i like glory and her lines. i thought they were hysterical. the only thing that irks me is her twitching all psychotically. But i love it when she tells the snake *now would be good* or something along that.

i love dawn! it's interesting to see such humanity in a three month old ball of energy. and she screams like a scooby.

I've never been an *i hate riley finn* fanculb member but i am tired of his character. it's so pathetic.

and re: willow pointing out the snake is *scared* of dawn, doesn't the gang find out about dawn next week? spoilers anyone?

ok. enough. off to buy my heater! yippee!

------------------
*a few thoughts on the subject by a lil' nothing*, Rasputina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:26 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 15:26 EST (US)
I think I read that fic too Rane and I think I liked what happened after the snow.

And i like the black nail polish. It reminds me of old Tara from TIIT. She had black nail polish when she offered the doll's eye crystal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:30 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 15:30 EST (US)
quote:
Originally posted by Rane:
hey y'all. ok, so to clear up anything from my mindless bumblings... it's probably a rooftop. sorry i even brought up the dock. i dunno. does sunnydale even have a dock?

ok

Yep, remember "Surprise" and "Innocence". Oh yeah, "Consequences".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:31 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 15:31 EST (US)
Here are the overnights:

The WB's "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" kicked off the night with a 4.7/7 (5.1/7). "Angel" tried to fight his vampire side to a 3.9/6 (4.8/7).
This is the lowest rating for a Buffy show this season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:33 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 15:33 EST (US)
quote:
Originally posted by xita:
I think I read that fic too Rane and I think I liked what happened after the snow.

can anyone tell me where to find this fic, or who it's by? it sounds way cute!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:59 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 15:59 EST (US)
Apart from the scene with Riley/Spike and Anya bits, I didn't like the ep.

Now it's a cool cobra...wait a minute ...it's a rubber puppet man...lame. My feeling is they should have went totally one way or another.

Buffy punching the snake was LAME-O-RAMA.

I prefer Tara being in the lighter hair category..I think it offsets her beautiful eyes and makes her stand apart from the other scoobs.

I couldn't really get over my feeling that Giles should have known that demon info if Anya, Tara and Willow could come up with it....Giles has been doing this kind of thing longer than Willow and presumably Tara.

I do like Glory, but I thought she was written badly in this ep. Although there was a yummalicious point given for the red leather dress

I want SOMETHING to happen to Riley..I don't care what but I feel like I'm being beaten over the head with the message and I'VE GOT IT already!

It was too much like Buffy meets ER.

Now what I *really* would like to see is a Buffy/Scully crossover event. Dana and Buffy fighting the baddies? It would be awesome...

glenda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 2:06 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 16:06 EST (US)
oy! glenda! i have a buffy-xfiles crossover but i've never posted it up. i dunno why. it's really funny and if you'd like to read it maybe i can email it to you and you can let me know what you think. i'm really taraish about my fics.

re: snowy rooftop and goddies afterwards. i cant remember the name or where i found the fic but i read wiccan ways and extra flamey so it must be there. sorry i cant be more specific but if i do come across it again i'll let you know.

I got a heater! I got a heater!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 2:11 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 16:11 EST (US)
Would love to read it Rane!

please please, pretty please?

redshoes@greysangel.com

glenda the good witch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 2:29 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 16:29 EST (US)
rane - congrats on your heater! now we don't have to worry about you freezing to death...

quote:

re: snowy rooftop and goddies afterwards. i cant remember the name or where i found the fic but i read wiccan ways and extra flamey so it must be there. I got a heater! I got a heater!

okay, silly person that i am, i just went and checked both sites and couldn't find it...any recollection of what else might have happened in the fic?

you know, w/t fanfic has seriously decreased my productivity at work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 2:32 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 16:32 EST (US)
Must agree on the black nail polish for Tara being a really good thing and also Buffy punching the rubber/CGI snake a very bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 3:53 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 17:53 EST (US)
I thought the most compelling part of this show was the parts about Joyce dying. If this was a typical mom-dying story, it would be pretty plebian. But given the last ep where Buffy realizes that "death is what she makes with her hands every day" it will be very interesting to see her on the receiving end of death. Will it become harder to just whack things right and left? Will she be more sensitive to Spike? Will she question what it means to be a Slayer? How will she approach her fate to kill and kill and kill when she is hit with the concequences for the first time?

Stryzinski, the guy who did Babylon 5 said the one episode that he regretted was the one with a guy in a rubber suit. This rubber suit snake guy was laughable and inaine.

Liked seeing Tara being part of the gang and accepted. I also liked seeing her coming up with the ideas. It is nice that she is smart (geeks of the world unite!). I also like how Amber and Aly interacted with each other but would have liked to see more. Can't wait for next week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 4:37 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 18:37 EST (US)
quote:
Originally posted by shazza:
and yay!, I can chat!, if I am ever awake at the right time

The chat usually starts about 6 or 7pm our time Shazza. See you there.

------------------
Paula
--------
Amber FanGirl #1a
May the Amber Force be with you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 4:52 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 18:52 EST (US)
Maybe I can help in finding the fic. I once worte a fic called "little private hero" with a roof and snow in it, but I'm afraid there were no after-smoochies. Actually there were no smoochies until the sequel :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 5:16 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 19:16 EST (US)
AHA! mirage, that was exactly the clue that i needed...

for everyobe dying to read the rooftop/snow fanfic, you can find it, courtesy of the wonderful Extra Flamey site, at:

http://www.peccath.com/extraflamey/auth ... tehero.htm

woohoo!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 6:08 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 20:08 EST (US)
quote:
Originally posted by Prairiegirl:
This rubber suit snake guy was laughable and inane.

Actually, the snake was much more complicated than a simple rubber-suit monster. I watched them put this contraption together in Griffith Park, and it was pretty involved. The actor's head was actually down below the snake-head, and the snake-head was being controlled by puppeteers.

There was, however, a "stunt snake" on the location as well, and that was just a big model snake with no actor at all. That might have been the decision that wasn't so hot.

The key ingredient for SFX on a weekly TV series isn't always money - sometimes it's time. Then again, they always say that time is money, so maybe it's money after all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 8:02 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 22:02 EST (US)
yay mirage! yay heater! yay, umm, yay!

re: black nail polish. I love tara wearing balck nail polish. I love wearing black nail polish. it's awesome. i just dont think it looked good with her wardrobe and hair color. it was too yucko for me. it epitomizes this boards namesake.

RE: anya and bunnies. I dont know why she would be frightened of bunnies but i had tara threaten turning her into a bunny in one of my fics. it was actually a funny scene during the whole yoko fator fight and they were in the bathroom and anya was about so say something anyaish and tara told her off. tee hee!

------------------
*a few thoughts on the subject by a lil' nothing*, Rasputina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 8:35 pm 

posted 11-22-2000 22:35 EST (US)
It figures that it would be mirage that wrote it and smoochies in the sequel counts. Your fictions always have a feeling of satisfaction to them. I should have known! Mirage, I am missing your w/t fic but I do know that you have things to do. I hope for your return one day!
On a similar note, while looking for the fic I found the other one I had been looking for. You know the one where w/t float.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 12:37 am 

posted 11-26-2000 02:37 EST (US)
Since where I live, they don't show Buffy/Angel till Saturday. I hope you don't mind my belated comments.

Overall, I liked this episode. Ithink this season is an overall improvement on last seasons disaster. Actually, I don't think this show has been this good since those wonderful Faith-ful days of season three.But judging fromthe comments of the other posters, I am in a minority. Oh well, can't please everyone I guess.

Riley is really growing on me. The scene where he talks to Dawn really hit a nerve for me. A similar thing happened to me when I was talking with the sister of my now ex-girlfriend. She to told me how I was "good for her" because she would never get as worked-up about me as she would for her old "bad boy" boyfriend. I knew exactly what he was feeling. I would've gone out and tangled with vampires too.

I thought the snake manster was actually quite frightning, especially when it burst through the window of the magic shop(I wonder if Giles could get insurance?) Yes the scene of Buffy killing the thing was a bit cheesy, but all in all, quite a supenseful last fifteen minutes.

As for the Tara factor is concered, it's good to see her function in a capacity other than "Willow's gilrfriend". And even though she was shown to be a "regular girl" in Family, I STILL think she knows more than she is letting on. Her knowledge in all things spooky rivals the learned Giles and the ancient Anya. There is still more to the Tara story than we have seen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 7:17 pm 

posted 12-05-2000 21:17 EST (US)
In case anyone is interested, I posted the shooting script for Shadow today (see siggy for addy).

There's a small cut scene that's interesting.

------------------
Rayne
The Buffy Shooting Script Site

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 9:17 pm 

posted 12-05-2000 23:17 EST (US)
Once again, thanks Rayne.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 9:17 pm 

posted 12-05-2000 23:17 EST (US)
Is it this???

quote:
INT. HOSPITAL HALLWAY - CONTINUOUS (AFTERNOON)

BEN comes down the hall and arrives at a door. A sign on it reads:
"Pharmaceuticals. Authorized Medical Personnel Only."

He discreetly checks the coast, pulls out an ID-card and slides it through the key-card-reader.

The ID-card has Dr. Isaac's photo and name on it.

INT. - PHARMACEUTICAL CLOSET - CONTINUOUS (AFTERNOON)

HIGH ANGLE as BEN shuts the door behind him and switches on the lights.

NEW ANGLE as he moves to one of many locked glass cabinets lining the closet. He unlocks it, scans the various bottles of medications, and finding what he's looking for, shoves two or three of them into his coat pocket.

Ok, so I am thinking that earlier Glory said she could get the ingredients to raise the snake monster. I am guessing it was Ben who went and got it. They must have cut it cause they didn't want suspicion to rise about Ben till Listening to Fear.

[This message has been edited by xita (edited December 05, 2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 6:19 am 

posted 12-06-2000 08:19 EST (US)
Xita-->That's the scene. When I first read it, I thought maybe he was tampering with the medication or something... possibly the cause of Joyce's illness.

But in the Listening to Fear script (which will be posted later this week), when he's walking out to his car, they describe him as shaky and sweaty and he pops a couple of pills. So I think he took them for himself. But this was all cut. I'm curious about why it was cut. I understand taking it out of Shadow (so the revelation in LtF would be a surprise). Will they show it later? Have they changed the direction? These are the things I love to find out!