The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9/11 Fund to Discriminate Against Gays
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:49 am 
Let me know if all the news updates I post get annoying. I've been feeling rather political lately, and get a ton of articles in my inbox each morning. This particular one seriously pissed me off. It's hard to feel patriotic when your government is so freaking hypocritical.

Read the article here
http://uspolitics.about.com/library/wee ... 31102a.htm

------------------
o/~ Our Joss is an awesome Joss, he saved them... o/~

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:57 am 
Fuckers.
-S

------------------
"Believe me I don't want to go,
And it'll grieve me 'cause I love you so
But we both know..."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:58 am 

I don't know what to say. I'm completely not surprised, but I'm completed flabergasted at the same time.

Just when ya think things are getting better. I'm worse then a criminal in their eyes.

*sigh* Case and point for people who think we choose to be this way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:59 am 
Hypocritical asses. I really feel sorry for anyone affected by this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:10 am 
I can't believe this...literally at a loss for words. Might as well say we don't count as human beings. . I really thought we were farther along than this.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:13 am 
Wish I could say I was surprised. Hypocritical bastards. People suck.

------------------
Kind of an unusual name. There's hardly any except Warren Beatty and, you know, President Harding. It's probably not either of them. -Willow in IWMTLY

"Is there any holiday that's not about getting laid?"
"Arborday."
-Fear Itself

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:43 am 
The message they are sending out about gay families is horrendous!!!

However, I still think that the majority of gay families will receive compensation under these rules. Assuming that most families live in New York, I would be very surprised if those people aren't compensated. If they look to New York state law, the state compensation system included gay families. And a New York court interpreted "family" for purposes of a rent control measure to include cohabitating gay couples. I think Massachusetts law might be okay, too. I'm not sure about New Jersey. I do feel bad for the people in Virginia because I don't think that state's laws are very broadminded. But, there may be fewer gay victims from the Pentagon anyway (I don't know).

I honestly think that the Rebublican administration came up with this scheme to serve several distinct purposes:

1. The majority of gay families would get compensation. This way the Republican administration won't lose its sneaky "compassionate conservative" image.

2. If the majority of gay families are compensated, fewer gay individuals will seek damages through the court system. If damages are sought through the court system, those gay families are in a very sympathetic situation. Gay families in such a horrendous situation would probably be more likely to receive damage awards, thus bringing the issue of the definition of "family" to the legal forefront in the most sympathetic situation possible, probably leading to overall legal advances for our families.

3. By looking to state law, the administration can point the finger at the states for allowing gay families compensation and not suffer the annoyance and exodus of its right-wing base.

P.S. I'm definitely not saying that this isn't horrible. There is no excuse for this kind of discrimination. It truly disgusts me. It's more that I think it is a sneaky, Republican, damage-control plan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:00 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by scylla:
The message they are sending out about gay families is horrendous!!!

However, I still think that the majority of gay families will receive compensation under these rules. Assuming that most families live in New York, I would be very surprised if those people aren't compensated. If they look to New York state law, the state compensation system included gay families. And a New York court interpreted "family" for purposes of a rent control measure to include cohabitating gay couples. I think Massachusetts law might be okay, too. I'm not sure about New Jersey. I do feel bad for the people in Virginia because I don't think that state's laws are very broadminded. But, there may be fewer gay victims from the Pentagon anyway (I don't know).

I honestly think that the Rebublican administration came up with this scheme to serve several distinct purposes:

1. The majority of gay families would get compensation. This way the Republican administration won't lose its sneaky "compassionate conservative" image.

2. If the majority of gay families are compensated, fewer gay individuals will seek damages through the court system. If damages are sought through the court system, those gay families are in a very sympathetic situation. Gay families in such a horrendous situation would probably be more likely to receive damage awards, thus bringing the issue of the definition of "family" to the legal forefront in the most sympathetic situation possible, probably leading to overall legal advances for our families.

3. By looking to state law, the administration can point the finger at the states for allowing gay families compensation and not suffer the annoyance and exodus of its right-wing base.

P.S. I'm definitely not saying that this isn't horrible. There is no excuse for this kind of discrimination. It truly disgusts me. It's more that I think it is a sneaky, Republican, damage-control plan.

I live in Canada so I don't know, but I don't have that much confidence in the system and the people who handle the money.

quote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:53 pm 
Wow. I take a little break from work on a very stressful day, check out the Kittens Board, and read this.

There are times we should be ashamed of ourselves as a society. There really are. How petty. And horrible. How cruel.

I wanna go think of something else right now...I'll make a fuss later, promise, but not right now.

fuckers

------------------
"O let my name be in the Book of Love.
If it be there, I care not of
That other book Above...
Strike it out! Or write it in anew.
But let it be in the Book of Love!"
--Omar Kyam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:24 pm 
Don't know what I can add to this except the aforementionned "f*ckers" and this :

As long as there have been people shaking the laws of our All-Mighty Jedo-Christian Pseudo-Society, there has been injustice. Blacks, Jews themselves, Women, Pagans, Gays, Immigrants, Muslims... the list goes on.

Somebody must have brought Hitler back from the dead. Cause this leap backwards is dangerously close to fascism.

Thank Goodness I'm just a gay pagan girl in a country that really could care less. Thank Goodness I'm not American.

Note : This wasn't in any way meant to offend Americans, but really, your laws on this perticular matter really could use a 21st century update...

------------------
Tara: No, see, 'cause your insect reflection represents your insignificance... in terms of the karmic cycle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:27 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Morphine:
Thank Goodness I'm not American.

Its alright. There's somedays I wake up and wish I wasn't American. Especially when I get confused which century we're living in. *sigh*

------------------
Kind of an unusual name. There's hardly any except Warren Beatty and, you know, President Harding. It's probably not either of them. -Willow in IWMTLY

"Is there any holiday that's not about getting laid?"
"Arborday."
-Fear Itself
quote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:48 pm 
For a country founded on the ideals of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...our country sure as hell sucks at the application of the concepts doesn't it?

We live in a country that forces oppession upon the minorities. We are not the land of the free...get over it.

If you're gay, you're screwed.

This is the message we are sending to our children. Is it any wonder the suicide rate is rising? What kind of world do they have to look forward to inheriting? Will there be anything of value left?

Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit of Happiness...gee, didn't those guys have slaves? That's right, the United States was founded based on hypocrity, we couldn't go against tradition, now could we?

I conclude sounding off like my fellow posters...Fuckers

------------------
Love will find a way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:54 pm 
i find it really stupid and idiotic how such a country like america pursues to get rid of oppression and prejudice yet continues to discriminate against a person just because they are gay!

what a world!

------------------
"Knowing I was a lesbian transformed the way I saw, heard, perceived the whole world." -pat califa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:35 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Thanatopsis:
Wish I could say I was surprised. Hypocritical bastards. People suck.

I agree, people suck big monkey's butts.

quote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:08 pm 
This is outrageous.
I urge everyone to take a moment to write their congressman/woman and senators about this.
I know my representatives will be hearing from this lesbian mom and regular democratic party contributor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:32 am 
I've been keeping up with this news since 9/11 and it really ticks me off to say the least.

What gets me tho is (and I'm in the UK so I don't really know all the laws over in the US) the guy is saying he will honour the compensation if the victims home State recognises their partnership. Right?

It shouldn't matter what State they were from, everyone no matter who or what they were should be treated equally. However, as this is not an ideal world they could go with the three States involved?

I agree tho', it would be much better off if the Gov just paid out because I'm sure they will be hit with many law suites that could cost them a heck of a lot more.. and it wouldn't just cost them money... the almighty vote is what they have at stake.

I really do hope they come to their senses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:27 am 
I'm not Gay, and I'm not Amercian, but I still have to say:

Fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:47 am 
this crap isnt suprising it is way full of shit.
i just need to point out the anger i also felt reading in the article that the author states that the undocumented immigrants dont deserve compensation. sorry but that really pissed me off too. they live here work hard and get paid crap and have to send most of it back to foreign lands to help family. sorry i just felt a need to point it out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:55 am 
I just read the article and that's absolutely unbelievable!
What kind of old fashioned thinking is this?! Bloody hell, we're living in the 21st century and not back in the medieval where you could go and burn everyone who had a different opinion.
I'm not American, but I think you should try to enforce those political groups which are working against this kind of politics.
I know that means work and you'll get angry over some reactions you might get, but it's worth the fight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:26 pm 
I don't know why anyone is surprised. I would have been surprised only if the Bush administration had done the right thing.

This is a guy who lost by half a million votes, then won in Florida because 15,000 elderly Jews (of the new group, Jews for Buchanan) were disenfranchised, along with probably another 20-30,000 people of color, and even then, it took a Republican Supreme Court standing every civil rights law it had ever ruled upon on their head, to stop the counting of the votes which would have kept that lying son-of-a-bitch out of the White House.

Does anyone else remember his first act? I do. By executive order Bush cut all family planning funds for any non-US clinic which in its family planning, offered abortion as a possible option, thus affecting the poorest women and children on the planet.

And now his administration is using 9/11 in taking aim at the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge to give his campaign contributers more oil money, while at the same time killing US servicemen and servicewomen by keeping a war going in order to maintain his own popularity in office and reelection.

These people are profoundly hypocritical and cynical, having maintained themselves in and out of office, in positions of power since Nixon. Bush's campaign received enormous contributions from Enron, and his father, the former President Bush, made over $2 million dollars in stock transactions through an Enron subsidiary.

Will this Bush, will John Ashcroft - who believes his job as Attorney General is to enforce not the laws of the United States, but "God's Law" - do anything just and human and fair and right? Not a chance in hell, if it has anything to do with Gays or Abortion.

Don't be surprised - the moral brothers and sisters of slave owners, are doing what they've always done. Selling one group of people whom they consider less than human anyway, down the river to get the votes of another group. Its all about power for them; not about people.

What can you and I do about it? Write (not email) your Congressperson and your Senator. Tell her/him that this must stop, that everyone who was killed on September 11th deserves equal compensation, and that if undocumented aliens are getting paid, they can damn well compensate the partners of lesbians and gays.

And then, get out there and make sure these evil homophobic bastards are never, ever elected again.

bzengo

[This message has been edited by bzengo (edited March 27, 2002).]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:20 pm 
Welcome to the Good Ol' U.S of A. The land of the free. Free my ass!

This wonderful country of mine thinks it is free. Yeah, only they choose who gets to be free. I do not. Considered I am worse than a criminal in their eyes, just cause who I choose to love.

Screw them!

------------------
Loving Emma for the past 2 yrs. And I will continue to do so the rest of my life.

Being committed on Dec 20, 2002
I love you Emma!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:27 pm 
It's disgusting, but not surprising considering that President Bush refused to celebrate Gay History month. It will turn around on him like the Reagan/Bush years did on his father, then we'll have eight more years of progress.

------------------
Nostalgianaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:25 pm 
Sons of bitches

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:11 am 
That is just disgusting, really they should feel ashamed doing that. What kind of a world is it where they'll give compensation to illegal aliens but not their fellow country men?!? Really to even think of doing something like that is...just.plain.wrong! Bet a whole heap of people out there are rethinking who they'll be voting next time around and THAT is the only thing in this that gives me a happy. In the words of an Aussie, UP THE BLOODY GOVERNMENT!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:39 am 
Did you wait until exactly 9:11 AM to make that post, or was it just an accident?