The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Fic: Pathways and Patterns (Sequel to This Look of Love)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:47 pm 
Title: Pathways and Patterns

Rating: PG for now

Archive: Copy, cut, paste I don’t care it’s all for pens anyway. No one in my house wants to read it.

Summary: This fic is the sequel to This Look of Love

You may want to read that first for some of the inside jokes and setup.

Author’s Note: This will not be an Angst free fic. It will be an exploration on Tara and her past, as I see it. So from this point forward I'm winging it. Hope you enjoy the ride

Copyright Disclaimer: Joss and Company owns all the characters. But they are alive and happy here. So that's all I need to say. Mostly because I want to be nice.

Enjoy

Chapter 1

The soft thudding of tiny feet broke the silence of the house. A small hand lifted slowly, knocking softly on the bedroom door. When silence answered, she pushed the door open just a sliver and peeked inside. She spied two beautiful women snuggled tightly in the bed. Tiptoeing around, she softly climbed on top. Her tiny feet stepped behind the sleeping redhead. She hovered above them as she scooted to her bottom. Her petite cold toes wiggled between the tightly intertwined bodies. The sleeping blonde shivered at the touch and smiled as she felt little arms wrap around her.

“Good morning Mommy,” whispered the little blonde.

“Good morning sunshine.”

“I’m five today.”

“I know. I was there when you were born.” The blonde whispered quietly as she turned to look at her child. Tiny bright green eyes, in all their innocent glory, met blue.

“Tell me the story again, please?”

Tara began telling the story, every detail, every moment. Abigail interrupted occasionally; filling in her own details, she knew the story well. It was one of her favorites.

“Auntie Anya told me that Mom yelled at her when she got here.” Abbey looked at the sleeping redhead and frowned. “Doesn’t Mom like Auntie Anya?”

Tara looked at her sleeping wife then looked back at her daughter. She was thinking of a way to explain the relationship. A five year old just couldn’t understand. “Yes your mom does like her, just sometimes they like to tease each other. On the day you were born Mom wasn’t feeling like teasing. That’s all.”

“That’s right,” the red head grumbled pulling the sheets over her face. Abbey lost sight of her mom as the canopy of sheets covered them. The three of them lay huddled in the dark. “Sometimes Auntie Anya is mean to me, so I don’t want to play with her anymore.”

“What do you do then?” Abbey asked as she turned to look at Willow.

“Your mommy protects me. I run to her and she makes it all better.” Willow reached her hand over her daughter running her fingers up the length of her lover’s hip, pausing at her breast making her way up toward her chin. “She’ll protect me…us from anything. Even big bad aunties.” Willow groaned and growled as she grabbed the child in a tight embrace. Abbey wiggled and giggled as the hug turned into a tickle fest. “Now go get dressed. We have a birthday celebration to start. I think Mommy’s funny shaped pancakes are in order. Don’t you?”

“Funny shapes…funny shapes.” The child squealed with delight as she escaped through the bottom of the sheets and scurried out the room.

Willow grinned wickedly as she wrapped her arms around the blonde. “So mommy, how about rounds for me?” They started to kiss passionately as Abbey peeked her head back into the room.

“Should I be skirt or pants for the party today?” Abbey yelled to her giggling parents. She held up blue jeans and a red polka dotted dress.

A long silent pause came and Willow answered, “Slacks. No one wears pants in our family.” Abbey gave a confused look and skipped off down the hall to finish getting dressed.

“Willow really…she has no idea what you mean when you do that.” Tara gave a disapproving arched brow and pressed her body to her lover.

“I know. It’s just that when she says the word it just makes me cringe.” She forced the flesh of her lower lip forward searching for consolation. Tara lips found Willow lips in an exchange of passionate understanding. She moaned at the feel of wife against her.

“Mom, are you ready for breakfast?” Abbey jumped back on the bed and bounced her way up to the edge of the sheets. She pulled the covers back and the women cringed at the sunlight. Willow shielded herself in the arms of her lover as Tara drew the red head near. “I’m ready and I’m hungry.”

“Me too.” Tara smiled grabbing the flesh of her wife’s bottom. “Give me two minutes and I’ll be right down. You get plates, forks, napkins and cups.”

Abbey made a list in her head as she bounced out the door. Tara turned back to her wife devouring her with her eyes. Together they rolled from the bed and moved to the shower.

“You go first. I’ll go down and start the batter, then I’ll come up while you cook it.” Willow smiled at the idea of Tara pancakes. Tara sighed at the idea of showering separately. She missed the times when leisurely indulgences were a regular occurrence. Willow pulled a robe over her alabaster skin and tied a loose knot around her waist. She grabbed the blonde tightly and kissed her passionately. “I’ll be back for my rounds later.” She smothered her with kisses and dashed from the room.

Willow padded down the stairs and walked into the kitchen. Abigail was counting napkins, forks, and plates as she laid them out on the table. Three plastic cups were lined up across the counter. Willow pulled a bowl from the cabinet and the box of batter mix from the shelf. Abigail started to hum as they worked together in the kitchen.

“Get some fruit Ab. You pick today, whatever you want.”

She bounced to the fridge and pulled the door open. “I’ll have oranges. I like oranges they’re so orange.” She grabbed the fruit from the bin and shoved the door shut with her hip. “Mom, did you ever wonder why it’s an orange?”

Willow looked up at the excited eyes of her daughter. Fascinated by the constant awe she had for things around her. “I’m not sure what you mean, Ab.”

“I just mean, it’s orange and it’s an orange. Is it orange because it’s an orange, or is it an orange because it’s orange?”

Willow shook her head at the dizzying conversation. Surely the child was thinking beyond her age. Five years of Scientific American were finally catching up with her. “I guess that’s one of those great life debates.” A puzzled five year old stared directly at her. “Some things in life are a mystery.” Willow continued mixing the ingredients for the batter. She walked around the kitchen to the fridge and opened it grabbing the milk from inside. She filled three glasses and poured some into the mix. She continued to stir as she started to explain. “It’s kinda like the chicken and the egg. They are both important. I suppose if you follow all things of nature and the Goddess the chicken comes first.” Willow looked at her daughter. The child stared with glazed eyes holding two oranges in her hands. “Life always comes first.”

“So what does that have to do with oranges?” Abbey plopped the fruit on the counter. She climbed up the stool and turned the water on in the sink. She washed the fruit and placed it in the basket.

Willow reached for the fruit. “I’m not sure really, I was trying to make a point.” She sliced through each piece, quickly placing the wedges on a plate.

Abbey looked directly at her mom, confusion flooded her face. “Mom, what was your point?”

“Ab…I’m not really sure anymore. Why don’t you put the fruit on the table.” Abbey jumped from the stool. Willow handed the plate to her daughter and gave a quick stir to the bowl of pancake batter.

“Ohh… now that was very educational.” Tara gave a sexy grin and raised her brow. “Professor Rosenberg I presume?” She giggled as she lifted her daughter for a kiss.

Abbey lifted her hands with confusion and pointed at her mom. Twirling her finger by her temple she explained, “I think Mom’s kinda nutty sometimes.”

“Hey now! I’m trying to explain the orangeyness of oranges.” Willow shook the batter soaked spatula at them. It sprayed the floor and she laughed at herself.

Tara carried her daughter to the stool and lowered her on top. She took the bowl from her wife and gave the batter a quick stir. “And that has what to do with chickens?”

Willow frowned and wiped up the floor. “I’m really not sure, but when I started it fit like a puzzle. But now I’ve forgotten what my point actually was.” She tossed the paper towel into the sink and washed her hands. She sprinkled her fingers at both blondes before wiping them dry. “So I think I’m going to go take my shower now.”

“Oh that’s right leave me here to explain chickens and oranges.” Tara stared at the batter as it poured on to the hot griddle. The sizzle made Abbey grin and she licked her lips.

“Mommy, can you make me chicken shaped pancakes to go with my oranges?” she gave a giggle as Willow jumped back into the kitchen to tickle the little girl. She kissed her wife, carefully protecting her from the heat of the stove, and padded off to the shower. The girls made chicken shaped pancakes and cleaned things up as they waited for Willow to join them.

She walked into the kitchen still wearing her robe and sat down to eat. They joined hands and Tara led a simple blessing. “Goddess bless this day, and bless this food. Guide us in the path of kindness and understanding.” Tara turned to Willow. “Guide us in the path of forgiveness.” Willow turned to Abigail. “Guide us in the path of love.” Tara lit a candle in the center of the table and they ate their breakfast.

Abigail asked all about the plan for the day and the party with all her Scooby family. She was so excited that Willow and Tara had to remind her to keep eating. When they finished Willow helped Abbey snuff the candle and they cleared the table. Willow started to wash dishes as a knock came on the door. Tara walked over to answer it.

She noticed a messenger truck in the driveway and asked, “Sweetie, are you expecting anything from work?”

“No, I won’t have another project for a few weeks. I’m still working on the GTS package.” Willow had spent a major portion of the last year creating PDA software integrated with global tracking devices. The programming just needed finishing touches. “Why do you ask?”

“There’s a messenger truck here.” Tara opened the door to a very grouchy delivery driver. Willow walked in from the kitchen. She wrapped her arm around Tara as Abbey squeezed in under their legs.

“Is it a present from Uncle Mr. Giles?” Abbey asked with a bright-eyed smile. She was still confused as to what to call him. Her mommy called him Mr. Giles and her mom called him just Giles. So she’d made her own title. The driver interrupted their response.

“I have a package for Tara Maclay. Does she live here?”

“I’m Tara Maclay – Rosenberg.”

“Sign here.” The messenger ripped off the top page and handed an envelope to Tara.

The two women stepped into the dining room and opened the letter. It was from an attorney’s office. She read the first paragraph and shock flooded her face. Willow took the letter from her hand and read it out loud.

“Ms. Maclay, we regret to inform you that your father, one Steven Maclay, has tragically died. We request your presence at the reading of his will.” Willow stopped reading as she looked at her wife. Tara was in shock and she needed to sit down.

Willow turned to her wife looking for cues to their next move. “Baby…what are we going to do?”

“I guess were going back home to say goodbye.”

TBC

Edited because my typing sucks and Ohh so sorry about the double post. Spaz

Urn of Osiris
_________________**

"Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses."
— George Washington Carver

Voice your opinion about Tara www.petitiononline.com/Tara/petition.html

Edited by: Urn of Osiris  at: 11/3/02 4:33:32 am

Post subject: Re: Fic: Pathways and Patterns (Sequel to This Look of Love)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:25 pm 
Wow, great to see you've taken a step in time :D

And little Abigail is just too cute.......I so get her confusion over oranges though...It hurts my brain to think about that and things like chicken or the egg ;)

Can't wait to read more (about Tara's home, cos I guess they're going to her old home)

----------------------

'I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad..it's depressing' - Tara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:42 pm 
Holy fart load of shniggies! :shock That's something I didn't expect to happen!

But other than those last couple of lines i thought they were SO cute together! Hehe, I love Abby! :lol Orange and orange! See, now you've got me wondering about it...i'm gonna go ask MY mom!

(And i posted in the other one but i wasn't sure which one you were gonna keep posting in so i put my reply in both :D )

It's better to be pissed off than to be pissed on. - My mantra on a bad day.

And never let it be said that I left a Tara craving unsatisfied. - Willow in Wilderness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:47 pm 
Oooo very surprising! Tara's dad dead, i definitely wasn't expecting anything like that!

B4 thats though was very sweet! I thought Willow's babble was so cute, made hardly no sense but cute! :)

Can't wait 4 more!

~Ashley~

Willow: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know... insane.
Tara: I said quirky.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:13 pm 
Ahh this is such a sweet start! I can tell it's gonna be angsty though. Angst can be good too. I was just wondering, is it gonna be just Tara-angst or both? Some fics I've read have kinda exaggerated all Tara went through and forgot that Willow was treated almost as badly, only not in a physical way. I'm sure you wouldn't do that, though. You already demonstrated that in This Look of Love. I was just wondering.

Gem

Tara: There's just so much to work through... and can you just be kissing me now?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:56 pm 
I love little Abigail. She's so adorable, and smart for her age. And I just love the interaction between the little family. Oh man, if I was that little, I'd wish they were my parents. :D I too get the confusion of the Orange and Orange thing. :confused

I can't wait for the next update. I am kinda sad to hear about Tara's dads death. :(

Lovely work!

~Holly~

Quote:
"Show me where to touch you" Tara- It Ain't Fickle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:34 am 
Well that's an interesting twist. Lots of good and bad could come of that. And Abbey is so cute - 'Uncle Mr. Giles' - poor child, that's a mouthload. :D

Thanks for the start!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:27 am 
ooh! I love it!

They are such a cute family!!!

oh gosh :shock

Tara's dad dead... can't wait to read the next part

Tara: Every time I... even when I'm at my worst, you
always make me feel special. How
do you do that?

Willow: Magic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:34 pm 
abbey and I share the same birthday!

Great fic...i loved the other one also.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:24 pm 
Wow, great start! :)

Abbey is soooo cute! He he and I loved the skirt or pants thing! :lol Pure Willow, she still hasnt got over the pants joke :( :rollin

And Taras father dead, on Abbeys birthday...:cry Abbeys birthday will always be kind of sad now...Is this already angst? ;)

Anyway, looking forward to your next part.

:peace -Viv-

Well, we can answer questions.
Tara - Checkpoint

Dont dream it, be it.
Rocky Horror Picture Show

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:27 am 
Loved Abigail's question about oranges. If it had Willow flummoxed, then it is very insightful indeed.

Love the image of the three starting the day together like that. Such unity.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:29 am 
First off - I wanna say how much I loved your last fic - I just finished it tonight. I loved the blessing!!

Now on to this one. I love the tenderness you write their homelife to be. Poor Willow and Auntie Anya are still going at it years later. :lol I love the inquisative mind that Abbey has, definitely Willow's daughter.

I can't wait to read more!!

:peace

~Branny

In my world there are people in chains, and we can ride them like ponies. ~ VampWillow in Dopplegangland

Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love...the clarity of hatred...and the ecstasy of grief.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:06 pm 
Loved this so far, can't wait to see where you are going with it!

So cute to see Willow-babble traits in Abbey, it does mess with the head a bit :hmm

Tara going home........I'm getting nervous :paranoid

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:05 pm 
:peace and :love

Ohhh....Hey all. Wow what an insane weekend. Spent all of sunday tailgating at the Packer game. GO PACK! Fortunately I had time to squeeze in the edits and here is Chapter 2.

I know the "orange/chicken" thing left you all going :confused but I promise you'll understand after you read this update. Oh I hope you understand.

Work with me people.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on individual replies. I'm so excited to take the ladies off in a new direction. So thanks for coming along. Now I'll stop and give you more.

Archive: Copy, cut, paste I don’t care it’s all for pens anyway. No one in my house wants to read it.

Summary: This fic is the sequel to This look of love. You may want to read that first for some of the inside jokes and setup.

Author’s Note: This will not be an Angst free fic. It will be an exploration of Tara and her past, as I see it. So from this point forward I'm winging it. Hope you enjoy the ride

Copyright Disclaimer: Joss and Company owns all the characters. But they are alive and happy here. So that's all I need to say. Mostly because I want to be nice.

Enjoy

Chapter 2

The stray tendrils of hair framing her face were quickly engulfed as she loosened the twist from the top of her head. Frowning at her reflection, she slowly brushed her flaxen tresses. She’d received news of her father’s death and struggled with her initial reaction. “He’s my father,” she thought to herself. “And all I can think is how relieved I am that he will never hurt me, or Willow, but mostly how he will never hurt Abbey.” Burdened with hatred and guilt that lingered in every part of her body, she lost herself in the repetitive motion. Every stroke of the brush, reliving childhood pain and fear, her body flooded with memories of terror and torture at the hands of her family. She laughed cynically. “Family,” softly whispered through her frowning lips.

Willow stood in the doorway watching the sorrow consume her wife. She didn’t understand the mixed emotion. Tara feared her family; the red head wondered why the death didn’t bring some relief. She’d never lost a parent, but she’d also never hated one either. She stepped slowly into the room, the blonde lost in thought, was totally unaware.

Willow reached for the brush in her hand. “Baby, can we talk for a minute?” She sat in front of the mirror as Willow started brushing her hair. She leaned into each gentle stroke. Relaxing at the touch of her hands.

“Will, there really isn’t much to say. He was a hurtful man. I’m angry that I’m not sad.” Tara struggled with her feelings, but needed to share them with her wife. Willow stopped brushing as she focused on the blonde’s confusion.

“Baby, I know you haven’t seen them in over eight years, but maybe things changed for him in the end. I mean you were invited to attend the reading of the will.”

“Right, but no one called to tell me that he died. I don’t even know when it happened or how. I don’t know anything.” Tara sighed in frustration. Her eyes caught the reflection of the little blonde wedged in the crack of the bedroom door. They hadn’t heard her gentle knocking.

“Can I come in?”

“Abbey girl come here to us.” Tara stretched her arms opening herself to the child. Abbey jumped into her lap and squeezed her tightly.

“What happened Mommy?” She twisted the long blonde hair with her tiny fingers as she stared into her mommy’s eyes.

“My daddy died. Some people sent me a letter to tell me.” Tara struggled with her emotions, knowing her daughter would never have to meet the hurtful man. Also knowing that he would never get a chance to meet her beautiful little girl. The irony upset her peaceful heart.

“Oh, you had a daddy?” Abbey twisted her finger into the length of her hair tangling it into knots. Tara flinched as she pulled the tiny strands to free it.

Tara looked at her wife. Sadness flooded their faces. They’d never spoken about Mr. Maclay to their daughter. “Yes sweet girl. I had a daddy.”

“How come I never met him?

She gulped a huge breath for courage and focus, and tried to tenderly explain. “My daddy had an angry heart.” She paused, waiting for a reaction. Abbey widened her eyes requesting more information. “Sometimes when people are scared it makes them very angry. And as much as you want to be with them you have to stay away until their hearts get happy again.” Tara hoped the simplicity was enough for her tiny spirit to understand.

“So your daddy’s heart never got happy?” The love in her gentle soul was shining through her tiny green eyes; pride brought a smile to Tara’s face. Willow watched the tender exchange between them and marveled at Tara’s gentle sensitive nature.

“I’m not sure sweet girl. My daddy and I didn’t see each other much.” Tara looked at her wife. Willow gave a smile of encouragement. She understood the look and squeezed her daughter tightly.

Abbey thought for a moment. Looking around she noticed a picture of Tara’s mother on the dresser. She reached for the photograph and held it tightly in her hands, slowly tracing the image in the frame. “Your mommy had a happy heart? Didn’t she?”

“Oh yes she did.” Tara held the frame caressing the smile on her mother’s face.

“How come she couldn’t fix his angry heart?”

“Well,” she paused looking at her wife. She hoped her explanation wouldn’t frighten the child. “Abbey, sometimes grown ups don’t want to listen to other grown ups. And that makes it very hard to help them.”

“Oh…but she tried?” Abbey looked at the red head searching for comfort and understanding.

Willow stepped over to the pair and picked her daughter up into her arms. Together they placed the photo back on the dresser. Abbey kissed the frame and put it in its place. “Love you Gramma.” They walked together to the bed and huddled close leaning against the headboard.

Tara held her daughter’s hand and rested her head on Willow’s shoulder. “My mommy tried very hard to help my daddy. He just didn’t want to have a happy heart. Maybe he does now.” Tara kissed the tiny hand and pulled her in tightly.

“Mommy, I have a happy heart, and if you ever need me to help yours be happy, I can do that okay?”

Tara smiled and scooped the child into her lap,squeezing until she squealed with delight. “Okay sweetie girl.”

“Oh and that means you too Mom.” She kissed her, squeezed her and bounced to the end of the bed.

“I kinda got that, and thanks Ab.”

“So are we still going to have my birthday party or do we have to go away?” She frowned as she finished her sentence. She’d hoped for a party, but she wasn’t sure now what would happen.

“We are definitely having a party, and you will have lots of sugary goodness.” Willow smiled and rubbed her hands together. Abbey bounced around on the bed with delight. Tara frowned as the two bounced around on the bed.

“Beds aren’t for bouncing.”

Willow stopped and grabbed her daughter. She grinned wickedly and whispered in her ear. Abbey mirrored the grin and they yelled together. “Mommy pile.” And the two pounced on the blonde smothering her with hugs and kisses.

The moment of cheer looped through the room as the women started to dress. Abbey paraded around in Willow’s boots stumbling occasionally and flopping on the floor. She loved to play in their wardrobe. She had an interesting way of making Polka dots and stripes work for her.

The day progressed like most for a five year old. Her family came for cake and fun. Gifts were exchanged and 'pin the tail on the kitty' seemed to be a smash hit once again. Dawn brought crayons and coloring books for her niece and they lay sprawled across the living room floor coloring. They innocently discussed the life of a five year old, preschool anxiety, reading at near genius level and Barbie fashion sense. Abbey had an opinion about the unrealistic representation of the modern woman as it pertained to Barbie, but most of it was lost in the conversation about plastic accessories.

“So Abbey, did you have a fun birthday?”

“Sure Auntie Dawn. Almost everything we did today was the best.” Abbey continued coloring in the Junior Scientist coloring book. Staying nicely in the lines.

“Almost everything?” Buffy interrupted as she sat crossed legged beside them on the floor.

“Well it can’t be everything, cause Mommy’s daddy died.” She didn’t look up, as the sisters reacted to her explanation. Buffy jumped up from her spot and ran into the kitchen. Tara was pouring a mug of coffee as Willow was drying the last of the silverware. Xander and Anya sat at the table chatting about the day’s events.

“Tara, what’s the what about your father? I mean Abbey said he died. When did this happen and why didn’t you say anything?” The entire room fell silent as they stared at Tara. Willow put her towel and silverware on the counter, and moved in closely for support.

“I didn’t know.” She squeezed in tightly against her wife. “I got a letter this morning, from his attorney’s office.” Sadness filled her eyes as she explained the rest. “It didn’t give details, just a reading of his will and that’s all. I don’t know when it happened or even how.”

“So no word from his relatives?” Xander asked. “I mean your brother. Not even from him?” He looked at Tara noticing her wince at the mention of her brother. It was very clear to all of them that she was struggling with her feelings.

“Screw um.” Anya spat. “They don’t deserve your time. They never did.” Willow glared at the feisty blonde and couldn’t help but internally agree. She also felt the emotional conflict in her wife and wanted to protect her from Anya’s insensitivity.

Willow walked over to the counter and pulled the letter from the drawer. She opened it and tossed it across the table for the Scoobies to read. They quickly skimmed through and were shocked at how cruelly she’d been told of her father’s passing.

“It says two days.” Anya broke the awkward silence. “By the date at the top, the reading is in two days.”

Willow and Tara turned to each other with a sigh. They were painfully aware of the timing and unsettled about making the trip.

“We know, we’re planning to leave in the morning.” Tara started to explain before she was interrupted by Buffy.

“And you tell us this now? Why didn’t you say something earlier?”

“We were going to, but we wanted to wait until Abbey was tucked in. She doesn’t know any of the family history and we’re worried about what we’ll have to tell her. She’s only five. She shouldn’t have to defend herself against Donnie and the rest of them.”

“So do you want any of us to come with you?”

“Actually we are just going to go alone. If something comes up, we’ll call. Right now we really don’t know what to expect.” As they started to create a plan Abigail walked into the kitchen. She seemed oblivious to the activity and climbed up her mom to get a hug. Willow sensed fear in the tiny body clinging to her and pulled back to look into her eyes.

“Ab what’s wrong?” Tiny green eyes looked up at her with sadness. She’d overheard most of the conversation. Dawn followed her into the kitchen to offer her side of things.

“She heard you all.” Dawn tried to explain. “She doesn’t understand what’s going on and I had a hard time explaining why everyone’s so upset.”

The gang looked around at one another realizing that the Maclay-Rosenberg family needed time to digest the events of the morning. They decided it might be time to end the day’s festivities and let them figure things out. Dawn and Buffy offered their expert child care services. They promised to keep their cell phones on in case of emergency. Xander and Anya offered to watch the house while they were away. Tara walked them all to the door and focused on her wife and daughter who were sprawled across the floor in the living room.

Together they were putting away the coloring books. Abbey was collecting the crayons and putting them back into the box.

“Hmm, I broke the yellow one.” Abbey handed the pieces to her mom.

Willow carried the pieces to her desk, wrapped them with a strip of tape and put them back together. “There you go. Good as new. It’s just a crayon. Don’t want to make more out of it then that.”

Abbey gave a little giggle and shoved it back into the box. She put all of the things back in the desk drawer. The family made their way to the couch and snuggled in for a conversation.

“So what happened in here with Auntie Dawn?” Tara asked. She pulled her daughter in for a hug. Abbey inched her fingers through the long blonde hair and twirled it around her fingers. Willow touched the tiny hand and gently pulled it from the tangle.

“We were coloring and I heard Auntie Anya yell. She was mad and it scared me.” Her tiny green eyes flooded with tears as she explained her fear. “Then she sounded scared of your daddy.”

Willow wiped the tiny tears and kissed her forehead gently. “Honey, he can’t hurt you. It’ll be okay." She noticed her daughter relax in their presence. "We can go exploring while we are there. It’ll be fun. We can take the GPS’s and pretend we’re on a secret scientific mission.” Abbey’s eyes widened at the idea of a scientific adventure. Willow knew it would be an appropriate distraction.

“Can I go pack my science bag?”

Tara smiled and nodded. Abbey jumped from the couch and bounced to the stairs. “I’m gonna bring my book too. Can I do that Mom?”

Willow answered with an approving smile and Abbey padded up the stairs to pack.

“So maybe we should follow her lead and pack too.” Willow attempted to stand, but the arms of her wife gently pulled her back.

“I suppose we should. Tomorrow’s going to be a long day. But how about you give me a bit of snuggle time.” Tara perked her brow and winked at her wife.

“How about we pack up for the trip, tuck in little Abbey girl, and meet in our spot?”

“Oh that’s a perfect plan.” They moved together slowly climbing the stairs. Abbey was shuffling around upstairs cramming goodies in her science bag. Willow checked it thoroughly for excessive over packing, gave it the A-okay and carried it down to the front door. Tara packed their suitcases, carried them down, and placed them next to Abbey’s bag. With everything ready to go, they carried their daughter up to bed. She bounced into her jammies and scooted under the covers of her bed. Tara sang a sweet verse of her favorite song. They kissed their daughter and left her sleeping in her bed.

They slowly made their way to the porch swing and settled in for a long session of snuggling. They’d decided to let the worries of the day wait while they focused on their need for comfort. Willow wrapped her arms around her wife and held her tightly. Her fingers traced the length of her lover’s arm. Tara closed her eyes to the touch. Her body screamed for this attention and Willow answered the call. Her dangling foot slowly padded the ground controlling the glide of the swing. She closed her eyes and let the crisp scent of the air wash over her.

“Can I swing too?” Abbey’s tiny voice broke the silence. She struggled with the length of her blanket snagging on the porch floor. Willow’s eyes snapped open startled by her presence. Tara jumped at her wife’s reaction. She reached for her daughter and laid her across her chest. Together their arms held her tightly.

“Always sweetie girl.” Willow padded the floor gently as Tara sang her to sleep. She looked down at their sleeping daughter and huge grin spread across her face. “Chickens and oranges? Willow what were you thinking?”

She winced at the thought and tried to remember what exactly she’d been going for, during their breakfast conversation. “I had a plan really and then she looked up at me with those eyes. I swear she can hypnotize. Then I lost my whole focus and I was babbling. I don’t understand it. I really had a point though…really.”

“I’m sure that you did but it got lost right around the, life first chicken concept.” Tara giggled as the bouncing of her chest caused Abigail to stir. They quieted down and continued their conversation. “Eventually you’re going to have to learn that science can’t answer every question in life.”

“I tried the whole it’s a mystery thing. She totally didn’t buy it.” Willow shifted just a bit trying to take a defensive position. She was denied the stance as Tara pressed tightly against her heaving chest. “She has such a great mind. It’s a challenge to keep up with her.”

“Oh I know. At the end of the day I’m exhausted by the both of you.” She brushed a few blonde strands from the face of her daughter. Abbey gave a tiny smile and rolled her body tightly against her mommy. “Will, do you realize that I don’t even get the chicken orange thing?”

“I know.” She sighed pushing her chest into the blonde in her arms adjusting to hold her tightly. “Really… I think I wanted to compare it. Like one is important to the other, dependant upon each other for existence. Who knows what came first, doesn’t really matter as long as they are there in the end. Does that make sense? ‘Cause I was trying to compare them and I know it doesn’t make sense.” She shook her head in defeat.

“Oh it makes complete sense.” Tara smiled a cheeky half grin. “Like oranges and chickens.” A tiny giggle came from the chest of their sleeping blonde. Abbey lifted her face and smiled at Willow. She’d heard most of the conversation and giggled at the funny explanation.

“Mom you’re very funny sometimes.” She squeezed her tiny body against the redhead and kissed her cheek. “but I love you.”

“I’m glad you think I’m funny Ab. I love you too.” She kissed her daughter and pulled her up alongside the body of her wife. They cuddled tightly as Tara chimed in. “Hey how about the mommy. Do I get any love for deciphering the secret Mom code?” Green eyes converged with a devilish grin and collided with the blonde's. She struggled to free herself from their clutches, but it was too late. Wiggling fingers and smacking lips tortured her body.

“Secret mom code. I’ll give you a secret mom code.” Willow held her tightly as their daughter tickled her endlessly. “How’s this code work for you?”

She kept laughing as she begged them to stop. “It works…it works.” Their torture subsided. “Works like oranges and chickens.” She jumped from the swing and raced up the steps, the tiny blonde and red head in hot pursuit. They folded on to the bed, heaped in a mound of happy giggling.

As if brilliantly orchestrated, they giggled out loudly, “We love you mommy.” Then collapsed on top of her. After a few rowdy minutes of tickle torture and Mommy pile they settled in tightly to sleep. A smile of satisfaction rested on Tara’s face. She knew what they would face in the days to come and she treasured every moment of happiness. Her mind wandered back to her childhood and she wished she’d had moments of innocent splendor. She thanked the Goddess for her life, for her wife and daughter. She understood that no matter what happened or where they ended up, she’d be strong and complete like oranges and chickens.

TBC

Urn of Osiris
_________________**

"Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:25 pm 
Abbey in Willow's boots - lovely to see her having access to the Bad Wardrobe! I think its utterly adorable that she has a science bag!

I like the way this is heading, by Tara having to confront her past we see how blissful her present truly is. She'll get the strength to deal with it from her two girls.

Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:58 pm 
OMG, this all so CUTE!!!

Can't pick a part that wasn't cute in which Ab wasn't.

Does that make sense at all? No? Didn't think so...

This little girl rocks...

"You are Willow Rosenberg, vixen-y lighter of the flame and keeper of my heart.”

(Camp Flutie by Rane)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:53 pm 
This is such a sweet fic. Willow and Tara...chickens and oranges definatly.

Anya: Anyway, I took the money from working for Giles, then I tripled it.

Tara: Triple? Like first money, then money, money, money?

Anya: Yes, I'm thinking about buying something very expensive. Maybe an antelope

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:24 pm 
Awwwwwwww this was just adorable!! :D I Loved it!! Orange's and chicken's soo cute!! I Loved how Tara was explaining how her daddy didn't have a good heart and everything it was very sweet and Abbey's responses, very cute! :)

So the big goin back home trip 4 the reading of Tara's daddy's will is comin, i'm actually lookin 4ward to seein what happens! :)

~Ashley~

Willow: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know... insane.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:32 am 
First let me say how sorry I am for not replying earlier. But chapter 3 came spilling out today and I had to get it written for you.

It'll go up in the morning.

Thanks all for continuing to read. The story is developing quite quickly in my head. It's the actual typing that bites.

I'm frantically typing to thank you all so I can start # 4. So here we go. First a blanket statement about the Chicken/orange thing. Hopefully after chapter 2 it makes better sense. Sorry.

Little M - Needed to advance a bit for the direction. I'm glad you like Abbey. I have wonderful things planned for the Maclay-Rosenberg family. Oh there's more don't worry.

foreverpiper - Holy fart load of shniggies! :lol I just love that. Did your mom clear any of that up for you? Hopefully so. I'd hate for you to be lost.

Miss Quirky - I know the death comes as a shocker but hopefully the journey ahead opens up some of the past for Tara. Hope the journey is fun for you.

Miss1234kitty - Glad you liked the start. I'm planning a bit of an adventure. So sit back and enjoy the ride. Willow is not off the emotional hook here. How could she not be affected by Tara's past?

Taras Shadow - Oh I love Abigail. I just want to squeeze her. She's modeled after my very adorable niece. Oh good comes from Tara's loss. I know sounds odd but life is constantly changing. Hope you enjoy the fic.

scout - I know alot of name for giles, but she's very literal at times, and Giles can be so proper I just thought it ahd a bit of T and W flavor.

Tara22 - Cute family, well it's W/T andA, cute is a given. Hope the next part works for you.

saphire tear - Glad you liked the fic. Oh same b-day really? Stay tuned much goodness to come.

pacou - Thanks. Pants may pop up and perhaps they play monopoly where Tara comes from. :wink I wouldn't have much worry about negative tones associated with Abbey's B-day. She has great family to support her.

mollyig - Oh I just love the image of W/T with a child. It just makes me happy. Oh hopefully the flummoxed Willow worked out in the end.

Branny - Thanks! I'm so happy you liked TLOL. Yes Willow and Anya I just love their love/hate thing. Oh I have plans for Abbey. Hope you enjoy.

barnabasvamp - Sorry for messing with your head. Hopefully chapter 2 helped.

OK so that's replies for chapter 1. I'll do chapter 2 later. I'm off to yoga and then chapter four.

Chow for now.

Urn of Osiris
_________________**

Edited by: Urn of Osiris  at: 9/30/02 3:44:14 pm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:52 am 
That was so good!! Love the three of them as a family

Quote:
“There you go. Good as new. It’s just a crayon. Don’t want to make more out of it then that.”

must say that was just darn hilarious!

can't wait to see what happens next!

do you do that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:19 am 
Yeah, the second part was as good as the first one! Maybe even better! :)

Abbey in Willow's boots: awww :sigh !

And its so cute how clever she is with her 5 years!

This family rocks!

:lol Willow had to check Ab's science bag for over excessive packing! I was the same when I was younger, always wanted to take everything with me! :)

Anyways, waiting for the next part now! :)

Thanks so much, Urn!

:peace -Viv-

Well, we can answer questions.
Tara - Checkpoint

Dont dream it, be it.
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Post subject: Chapter 3
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:23 pm 
Morning all :peace and :love

Hope life finds you in good spirits. Here' chapter 3. Enjoy!

Summary: This fic is the sequel to This look of love. You may want to read that first for some of the inside jokes and setup.

Author’s Note: This will not be an Angst free fic. It will be an exploration on Tara and her past, as I see it. So from this point forward I'm winging it. Hope you enjoy the ride

Enjoy

Chapter 3

“Mommy, where is Oregon?” Bright green eyes stared out the airplane window, then turned back to the pages of the American Atlas for children. Tara pointed to the map of the United States. She lightly marked Sunnydale in red and marked Grants Pass, Oregon in green. Willow smiled at the use of the multi colored dial a pen, it happened to be Abbey’s favorite item in her science bag.

“Here sweetie girl.” Tara turned the book back in her lap. Willow grasped the hand of her wife tightly. “You okay Will?”

“Well aside from the continuous churning of the contents of my stomach, yeah I’m great.” She squeezed Tara’s hand tightly as the plane quickly plunged and leveled off, lurching her head and gut in a jumbled tunnel of queasiness. Willows eyes doubled in size to compensate for the tightening of her stomach. She buried her head in the shoulder of her wife. “Oh I think I’m going to vomit.”

Abbey grabbed the airsick bag from her seat pocket and handed it to her mom. Without missing a beat she continued to measure the distance of their air travel.

“Ladies and gentlemen the pilot has signaled our decent, please return your tray tables and seat backs to their upright position.” The ladies adjusted their seats and checked Abbey’s seatbelt for the tenth time. She collected her books and filled her bag. They slipped it under the seat and waited to land.

“This is the part I hate the most.”

“Why what happens next?” Abbey’s bright eyes grew large with anticipation. She looked at her very queasy mom squeezing the color from her mommy’s hand. She noticed a sour look from the man sitting on the other side of the plane. She just flashed her bright smile and looked up at her mommy. “Are we almost there?”

“Yes, well no. We’re almost on the ground.” Tara turned her attention to her very curious child. “But then we have to get the car and drive from the airport to where my family lives. That will take about an hour. But it’s a very pretty drive.”

“Can we stop and take pictures along the way?”

“Sure, lets get the car and then we can look at the map. I think your mom will be happy to be back on solid ground.” Abbey giggled at her mommy and held her other hand. The plane made a bumpy landing striking fear in the redhead. Tara wondered how Willow ever managed to make her yearly flights for Tech conventions in the fall.

Willow answered back with her mind, “I usually take air sick pills that make me sleepy. Plus this is a very small plane.” Tara looked at her wife and smiled. The mental communication was wonderful in the noisy place. Abbey chimed in on their conversation. “I like when we talk like this, it makes me feel special.” The ladies leaned forward looking at their daughter. She’d had the ability to communicate telepathically since she’d learned to speak, but it was still odd to have another person in their private thoughts. They had to be very careful, as Abbey had learned many new things by accidentally listening to the conversations. Fortunately for them she had no abilities to communicate while she was sleeping, a blessing for the often overly affectionate couple.

“Abigail, you need to not listen when we share thoughts.” Tara scolded her mentally. “It’s just like listening at the door. It’s an invasion of privacy. You must always ask for permission when you hear us. Okay?.”

“Sorry Mommy, I didn’t mean to. I just like it when we do this. I’ll ask next time.” Abbey frowned and turned to look at the airplanes taxiing down the runway. She was learning to control the need to listen, but it took a lot of concentration to tune it out. Tara looked at her daughter and pulled her tiny chin in her hand. She winked at her and told her, “I love you. It’s okay to make mistakes, but it is just as important to learn from them.” Their conversation abruptly ended as the plane parked at the gate. After a few minutes the door opened and they made their way out into the airport.

Tara went to collect their bags as Willow and Abigail made their way to the car rental area. It was a very small airport so it wasn’t difficult to find. Abbey looked at all the pictures of the cars on the wall. “Mom lets get that red one with no top.” Abbey pointed to the Mustang convertible at the Vanity rental counter. Willow hesitated at the idea but decided on something more practical.

“Not this time sweetie. We should get something we can drive in the mountains.” Willow winked at her child knowing how excited she was about going on a science adventure.

Willow finished signing for the car as Tara walked up giving her a sexy proposition. “Hey gorgeous, you going my way?”

Willow twirled the key around her finger as she turned toward the blonde. “Always.” She grabbed her hand and walked from the terminal. Abbey jumped on the rolling suitcase riding it all the way to the rental car yard. They loaded up the midnight blue Jeep Cherokee and headed down the road.

Tara decided to drive and Willow sat in the back seat mapping out adventure trails in Abbey’s sketchbook. They pasted her plane ticket stubs in the book drawing designs all around it. Abbey pressed on little airplane stickers and closed the book.

“Are we there yet?” Abbey asked her mom.

“I’m not sure. Mommy are we there yet?” Willow smirked as she caught a glimpse of her wife in the rear view mirror.

“Actually we’re just about ten minutes away. The hotel is at the next exit.” She smiled at her precious cargo and pulled the car into the right lane of the expressway. After a few minutes of driving they pulled into the parking lot of the hotel. It was a Mom and Pop kind of place. Rustic yet quaint, there weren’t many choices in the small town. They checked in and as they made their way to the room Abbey noticed the indoor pool. The ladies promised a swim at some point during the trip. Abbey started counting the numbers on the doors. She finally reached number 187 and slipped the key card into the slot. She pushed the door with all her strength and held it opened for her parents. As soon as they entered, she let go and sprinted for the bed.

Willow flipped open the suitcase and started to unpack. “So what’s on the agenda?”

“Well I’m not sure. I suppose I should call the attorney and see where he’s buried. Then I guess we need to contact Donnie or cousin Beth.” Abbey started bouncing on the bed as Willow laid out the clothes. She gave a disapproving glance and the child stopped. Tara sat at the table and started making phone calls. The little blonde climbed into her lap and started drawing on the notepad.

“Are you sure you’re ready for all of that?”

Tara turned to look at her wife, “No I’m pretty sure I’m not, but it all has to be done.” Tara pushed the send button on the cell phone and made the calls. The attorney gave her the funeral director’s number and they notified the cemetery grounds keeper they’d be coming. “We can meet him in the next 15 to 20 minutes.”

“Well, let’s get it done then. Abbey girl, how about a piggy back ride to the car?” Willow turned around offering her backside to the child. Abbey ran toward her, but grabbed her arms instead.

“How about a piggy front ride instead?”

Willow scooped the child up into her arms, tiny legs wrapped around her waist as tiny hands laced together behind her neck. They climbed into the Jeep and made their way to the cemetery.

The grounds keeper met them at the car and led them to the freshly covered gravesite. Tara approached with hesitation. The redhead didn’t force the situation, but Abbey wanted to see what was going on.

Tara squatted beside the grave. She trailed her fingers across the dry blackened earth sifting it under her hand. She closed her eyes and asked the Goddess for strength and peace as she pinched a bit of soil between her fingers. Her mind flashed back to the terrible moments as she buried her mother. “ A proper Christian burial.” Is what her father had called it. Instead Tara had recited Wiccan burial rites privately. Her entire child hood had been celebrated privately. Sneaking moments of solitary happiness. She looked up at her wife and daughter vowing never to return to that place of emotional paralysis.

She looked down at the grave remembering the torture she’d suffered at the hands of her family and wept for the loss of innocence. Willow and Abbey moved in beside her. Together they offered comfort to the blonde. Tara wept for so many reasons that she couldn’t explain, but for so many more that she didn’t want to. Willow reached to wipe her tears.

“It’s odd.” Tara looked at her daughter then turned to her wife again.

“What’s that?”

She looked at the blackened soil. “I never thought I’d want to see him again.”

“It’s funny you should say that.” A harsh male voice broke the peaceful moment. “He said the same thing as he was dying.” Donnie stood over the women glaring at the child in their laps. “Who’s the brat?”

Willow jumped up from her place and bolted toward him. “She’s not a brat. She’s our daughter. She has a name and you better use it.”

“Fine, back off butch.” He stepped back looking down at his sister and her child. “Call off the dog Tara.”

Willow reached her hand toward her wife and grabbed her daughter. Abbey leapt into her mom’s arms burying the fear on her face in her neck. Donnie hadn’t changed much in eight years. He was still angry and frightened. They feared that Abbey was quickly becoming a target of his bigoted hate.

Tara summoned all of her courage and borrowed a bit from her wife. She moved toward her brother. “Donnie, I don’t know what went on here, but whatever it was I wasn’t a part of it. You and Dad had your issues. They aren’t mine. They’ll never be mine.”

He turned to look at the heaping mound of dirt. He kicked it with his foot. A cloud of dust drifted from the ground. “He was weak. One of the last things he said was that he was sorry he left you there.”

Tara felt the sting of anger and hate in his tone. The words didn’t make sense to her, but she didn’t want to extend the confrontation in front of her daughter. “We can’t talk about this now. We came here to say goodbye. Let us do that in peace.” Tara looked at her family then looked back at her brother. “You and I can talk tomorrow at the attorney’s office.”

“Fine, but we have things to work out. I didn’t run away.” He threw his pointing finger down toward the ground. Then raised it again this time directing it at Tara. “I stayed here and I got things coming to me.” Willow moved in front of her wife handing Abigail to Tara. “He owed me, and I’m getting what I earned. I stayed here. He owes me.” Donnie backed away and walked from the cemetery.

Tara knew there was more going on, but she didn’t want more confrontation in front of Abbey. She turned to Willow. “Let’s go somewhere else.” The redhead looked into her eyes. “I want you to meet someone.” Tara led them through the cemetery. They walked along a winding path into a fenced cemetery plot. The cast iron gate had the name “Bennett” scrolled across the top of its railing. Tara pushed hard to open the rusting gate and entered the overgrown private plot.

“This is the Bennett family plot.” She walked toward the flaggstone grave marker. “This is my mother. Elizabeth Alexandria Bennett Maclay.”

TBC

Urn of Osiris
_________________**

Post subject: Re: Chapter 3
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:35 pm 
Wonderful update!

:rage Donnie is such an ass, and scaring poor Abbey...

:hmm Trying to figure out what's up next, hopefully Donnie won't cause our girls too many problems?

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:35 pm 
barnabasvamp, you took the :rage right out of my mouth!!! Oh, and the ass bit as well...

I have suspicions... I have the feeling Donnie's not gonna like what's in the will...

Can't wait for an update. :bounce

This story is just so sweet. Well, apart from Donnie being an ass...

Urn, you're a great writer, it's a delight to see your frequent updates... Brightens up my day in the office and for that, I'm always grateful! :peace to you.

"You are Willow Rosenberg, vixen-y lighter of the flame and keeper of my heart.”

(Camp Flutie by Rane)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:40 pm 
I agree!

Damn Donnie!!!

but i liked the plane trip, and the telepathic conversations :D

do you do that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:29 pm 
Oh Donnie is sooooooo evil! I loved the telepathic communication, I wanna talk in my head too! Umadamber, where is your sig from? I haven't seen that epi.

Gem

Tara: There's just so much to work through... and can you just be kissing me now?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:55 pm 
I talk in my head all the time... :paranoid :hmm m

Anyway... *cough*

(Camp Flutie by Rane)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:20 pm 
You've done it again, a VERY big soft spot for Abby, and her parents. :tara and :willow

But I can't stand Donnie! Whatever problem he has, why make it worse for Tara and her family. Grrr...:grin

I'm LOVING it!!

~Holly~

Quote:
"Show me where to touch you" Tara- It Ain't Fickle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:59 pm 
OK really good update, Urn!! :clap Donnie, :rage I really hate that damn bastard! :evil He's so grrr... ok enough of him!

I Loved Tara takin Willow to her mother's grave so very sweet! :) Oh yeah and Willow afraid of the airplane ride was kinda funny! :lol

Can't wait 4 more!! :bounce

~Ashley~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:06 pm 
Abbey with the different coloured pens - she's so adorable!

Her entire child hood had been celebrated privately So sad. Its great insight into Tara's past though, showing us what she braved to become the caring woman who captivated Willow so.

Donny hasn't changed much I see.

Indigo Girls

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next