The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens Recommendation Thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:18 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
A few recommendations:

Tempest Fugit –LipKandy. Tempest Fugit S7 is my very favorite fan fic. It is post season six and Buffy and Willow are taken back to S4 by a spell. Willow has to deal with being suddenly returned to Tara and knowing that she's not where she belongs. The resolution of the fic is spectacular and magical.

Tempest Fugit S4 – LipKandy is also very good without any darkness floating around. It is more about the innocence of S4 and the love Willow feels but doesn’t know what to do with.

Unexpected Consequences – Lisa of Nine - Long but very awesome. It deals in great detail with the consequences of Willow's memory spell on Tara and definitely makes Tara the hero of the piece. There is an unfinished sequel called Milestones.

Gods Served and Abandoned – AntigoneUngone - This sequel to On Second Thought is one of the funniest pieces of fan fic ever. AntigoneUngone's dialog is my absolute favorite.

Hellebore - Artemis – This is the only uberfic on my list and with good reason. It's set in the AU of a video game? Seriously. What particularly impresses me with the fic is the level of planning Chris had to put into it for everything to tie up at the end. The sex is not bad either. Fantastic detail.

Common Areas – Watson - This is a fantastic story and the first one from HiddenWatson (sometimes just Watson). Tara and Willow correspond via a magic mailbox even though Tara is in 2001 and Willow in 2004. When Willow learns of Tara's death, can she change history in spite of her vow not to?

The Amazing Kitten Race – HiddenWatson – Yes, her second entry on my list. No slight on GSA, but this is now the funniest ff I've ever read. Imagine that the characters we know and love (or not) are competing in the Amazing Race. Now imagine that you are reading the Television without Pity recaps of the episodes. It's an exercise in snarking and sometimes in snarking on snark. Most episodes include a W/T centered "extra."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:50 pm 
3. Flaming O

what's your tale nightingale and amazing kitten race for me as of the moment :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:13 am 
23. Volumey Text

As Time Goes By by AntigoneUnbound

If you read any of AU's other stories then you'll have a good idea of what to expect. However this is AU's best story to date. As with all her stories she mixes pathos and humour with a deft hand.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:56 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I've only started reading fanfic recently. (I know, where have I been the dark ages?) But I've become a real fan of DarkWiccan's writings. I have three big favorites of hers. I've never done links before, so I hope these work. I'm also going to try to not be too spoiler-y in my little reviews (Something that is actually hard for me because I love these stories so much I just want to gush).

Overall, what I love most about DW's writing is her insane attention to detail. That and her dialogue and relationships are very true to life. In truth, there are a couple of stories on her site that I like even more than the ones I am recommending here, but I don't want to break the rules and post offsite links. But, to re-iterate, DW's realism (even in writing fantastic scenarios) is what keeps me glued to the page. I really feel like I am right there with the characters, a fly on the wall, consumed by the universe she's created. The sign of a truly gifted writer. Ok, so here are the stories.

Special - This is a beautifully written story that had me in tears by the end. The writing is consumate and vivid, and you can really feel the depth of emotion surrounding the issues covered in the storyline. I do warn you to grab a box of tissues before reading!

Time Quake- Who doesn't love a good time-travel adventure? Basically, without ruining the premise, something happens to destroy the natural order of the timeline, and only one person is capable of setting things right. Discovering who this someone is, is one of the great joys of the story. I just had a huge grin the entire read, and I also have to add I will never look at muffins the same way again.

No Matter Where You Go - This is the first story in a series. I'm in the middle of the second story now, so I will most likely be back with another recommendation for that one too. In the meantime though, this is a very sweet story that's also got some great action sequences and features my favorite city Seattle. If I had a complaint about this story it's that DW wrote Willow and Tara a little too sacchrine for me, but now that I am reading the second story, it's clear that she has allowed the dynamics of Willow and Tara and their relationship to grow and change too, making them even more real.

Ok, well, I hope you all enjoy reading these recommended stories. Or if you've already read them... I hope you will read them again.

Thanks,
Dena

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:58 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hellebore or any of Artemis's stories really. TARA is a really good one too.
~Bug

"And what? Go up to her and say:
'Hey your cute, wanna boink?' " - Me at MBLGTACC 2005

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:25 am 
2. Floating Rose

I'd like to recommend KiwiAlcyone's (aka Alcy's) Captain Red and the Denizens of Mars. It's an old-fashioned alien invasion story, reminiscent of War of the Worlds. It's set in the 1930s or thereabouts on a parallel Earth in which women are fighter-pilot aces and no one blinks an eye at open same-sex relationships. Alcy has a remarkable grasp of genre fiction; here she blends the "wartime romance" genre with the "green-eyed monster" slice of SF with pitch-perfect tone. Not a sci-fi fan? Read it anyway, because the heart of this fic is about two very different women (both hot shot fighter pilots) who fight seemingly-insurmountable odds to be with one another. And the sex scenes are blisteringly hot. And the final battle scene will rip your heart out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:27 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Im with ya allbarknobite{hehe} lov your s-name!!Special is one of the best fics I have ever read.It is a tear jerker, but it also has one of the best makinnn loveee bits ever!! I also love camp flutie by Rane I cant find this link Never a night like this by tarasshadow http://www.thekittenboard.net/thekitt/viewtopic.php?t=816

Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:06 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

One of the best fic i've ever read is Ticklish, by Tarasfan. it's just so sweet and exciting and sensual. i love it.

ETA: i'd like to add another wonderful fic that has been recently finished (a month ago but....whatever) and that would be Spark to a Flame, by Auburn.

Auburn wrote:
Summary: Tara admires Willow from a distance until an accident brings them closer together.

Read it cause it's worth it.

H&K

Last edited by Thianne on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:25 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Okay I really wish I could link you to the fics I'm recommending but truth is I dont know how. Beside's that here you are...

Ocean Dreams by GayNow Summary:Willow and her friends take a vacation to an Island. Tara happens to live on said Island.
It's funny, serious, and really good.

Uber Con '05 by SallyMcfine Summary: AU. No magic, no vampires or slayers. Everyone is preparing to go to a three-day convention for their favorite TV show.
Notes From The Author: the convention is called UberCon ‘05 and it is primarily a fan-organized and fan-run convention that focuses on uber fan fiction. The convention takes place in a hotel about 2 hours away from Sunnydale.
I recommed it because I loved it and it's funny :D

Spark to A Flame by Auburn Summary: Tara admires Willow from a distance until an accident brings them closer together. some angst, but obviously I wouldn’t do anything too awful to read.
Have a box of tissues because I'll make you cry. In a good way though. It's a really good story.

The Chronicles of Dopeygayland by Tarawhipped - Summary: Set during Doppelgangland. Anya’s spell to get her necklace back sends Willow to an alternate universe, but NOT the one from the show. Our plucky redheaded heroine discovers that things are just a wee bit different there.
Trust me when I tell you, it'll have you laughing thought the whole reading.

Stratagem by Willow Wacther Summary: The title Stratagem means some kind of cleverly contrived trick or scheme for gaining an end. Remember the episode Family, well that was the sweet fluffy kitten version compared to this story. This story can be very disturbing to a lot of people. If you are a squeamish person when it comes to abuse, violence and rape, then I suggest that you don’t read any further. Willow, despite what she knows, gets personally evolved with a student who is trapped in an abusive home. But with a trained mind, trained body and a loving heart, anything could happen.
Read the summary before you read the story. I enjoyed Stratagem though. It was different, but I really liked it. It has a sequel though called Labyrinth

I have a lot more, but I'll have to post them later. Tis all, bye.
:flower Akyiree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:56 pm 
19. Yummy Face

willowbaby05 wrote:
Ocean Dreams by GayNow

Um...yeah...that wasn't me. Didn't write that. Nope. I didn't. Nuh uh.

Last edited by GayNow on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:19 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

*smacks self in the head* sorry Car. My mistake. :sh Dont tell anyone.
Okay, I looked for it again and here it is...
Oceam Dreams by WTF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:42 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Ok.. here goes some of my recomendations! Ive read so many fics over the years and these ones are the cream of the crop. Im sure there are others im forgetting but for right now.. these are what I thought of. Im not going to make my own summarys because I know I wont do them justice! I'll just paste in what they wrote .. I adore all of these fics to bits! and have read them all multiple times

1) Common Areas by Watty

viewtopic.php?t=2990

Sunnydale, AU. Set during 2001 and 2004. Willow and Tara find each other through time.

2) This Little Wiccan by Nika

viewtopic.php?t=806

A look at Willow and Tara's relationship

3) Survivor Ash Island by JustSkipIt

viewtopic.php?t=3071

Survivor.. Willow and Tara style

4) Whats Your Tale Nightingale by KiwiAlcyone

viewtopic.php?t=2737

Totally AU, set circa 1957. A love story between our two girls set much in the style of the romance films of that period. I don’t want to give too much more away than that. Other than the settings are New York and Paris, the music is rock and roll, the slang is a little weird…oh, and the world is not about to end in any hell dimensiony type way.

5) The Guardian by Blameburner

viewtopic.php?t=947

This is just a nice little story about two witches, facing the apocalypse – again, and love. The Scoobies are preparing to face a threat, and Willow learns she does have an important role beyond research and magic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:04 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I'm looking for reccomendations of any good fics which take place in season 5, after Glory sucked Tara's brains and WIllow was taking good care of her. I love these sort of fics and I was hoping maybe someone could direct me to some of them?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:57 am 
2. Floating Rose

I'd like to recommend Losing Count by maudmac.
viewtop ... sc&start=0
This has the distinction of being the first fanfic I ever read, and therefore has a special place in my heart. And being an NC-17 PWP means it has a special place in my, um...heart.
But what I love about this fic - besides all its smuttiness - is the joy, gratefulness, playfulness, happiness, togetherness that are shown so beautifully, as a vital part of the W/T relationship. Also, with its subtle but notable rewrite of S6, kittens everywhere can gain some sense of closure and rest assured that our girls are happy, together, and above all alive.
Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:48 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Topics: 1
Greetings all! I'm pretty new to this board and this is my first post.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a fic that is not a "popular" fic? Nonpopular as in... not one labeled as "popular" with the different color symbol? I have read many amazing "popular" stories on here but I never would have found my favorite so far (Reunited by Canadian Kitty) without a link from another thread.

I guess I'm looking for a non-"popular", well written, angsty story to read.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:27 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hello and welcome how about The Shadowy bridge viewtopic.php?t=970

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:56 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Any story from Emms,Alcy,Justskipit and Tarawhipped will entertain ya because their all awsome story tellers. :peace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:16 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I want to recommend Diane's brilliant short Creatures of the Night. It's one of the better pieces I've seen in fan fic anywhere and it's quite hot too. The story's exploration of power and control is masterful (no pun intended). Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:44 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

I know it has already been mentioned, but I can't not include

Bread by Tulipp
http://www.thekittenboard.net/thekitt/viewtopic.php?t=717

Just damn, damn good. Thoughtful, well written, compelling, bittersweet, lovely. It is my favorite fic.

Also, because smut is good stuff sometimes,

Please: the Series by JustSkipIt
http://thekittenboard.net/thekitt/viewtopic.php?t=2957

Ya might want to just keep a cold shower running while you read this, particulary if a little power play turns your ticket. Intensely, unapologetically sexy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Hiya Folks,
This isn't really a recommendation of any one particular fic but rather a shout out to all the wonderful authors that have frequented Pens past and present. Apart from Pens, I have never really bothered to delve into the world of fan fiction but lately I've been probbing, reading a few stories of my favourite fandoms (I've even started a story at Spashley.com which is proving immensely fun) and I have to say in my trawling that the quality of the fics on Pens is far superior to a lot of the crap out there.

I visited a popular Harry Potter fan fiction site to find some good fics to read, I was disappointed, even the fics that are labelled as most popular or have the most views, while adequate, lack the detail, construction and just sheer brilliance of the fics here on Pens and in the Archives.

So, not really a recommendation, just a shout out to all the Kittens, keep up the good work and know that we are very spoiled!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:27 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Alcy wrote:
I visited a popular Harry Potter fan fiction site to find some good fics to read, I was disappointed, even the fics that are labelled as most popular or have the most views, while adequate, lack the detail, construction and just sheer brilliance of the fics here on Pens and in the Archives.

i did the same exact thing and i reached the same conclusion! the kittenboard ruined me for life....even though there's some decent Xena fanfic around, especially Uber, that's well written....(for example, on Ausxip).

but yes....here on the kitten there's really good fanfics....

Last edited by Thianne on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:18 pm 
5. Willowhand

Greetings lads and lasses (lassi?),

I wondered if those who have read a fic called Never a Night Like This could tell me if I should delve in and give it a whirl. I checked the thread here where it makes its home and it seems ... epic. I just wanted to know if it's worth the bloodshot eyes I'll no doubt get after I'm through reading it.

Thhhhhhhanks.

K to the J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

That happens to be the very first W/T fic I ever read (so in a way you can blame that fic for all the pain and suffering I have subsequently inflicted on helpless kittens with my own writing! ) and I really enjoyed it, I remember it being very easy to read, although I would have to read it again to give you any specifics as it has been a while...anyway, I think you should read it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:05 pm 
5. Willowhand

If that fic is the reason for Captain Red, What's Your Tale, Van Rosenberg... then leapin' lizards, I'm gonna read it! Thanks, A!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Is there a sequal to Never A Night Like This?

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:31 am 
5. Willowhand

Zampsa, there is:

http://www.thekittenboard.net/thekitt/v ... php?t=2897

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:57 am 
19. Yummy Face

Huge thanks!

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:41 pm 
3. Flaming O

Does anyone know of any angst free (or any with little angst) storys :peace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:59 pm 
3. Flaming O

EvilKittycatofdoom wrote:
Does anyone know of any angst free (or any with little angst) storys

you should try Justskipit's Season 3 Ya'll that is if you havent read it yet..if not..
School days is a cute story

(holy sh*t....i just realized that i read alot of justskipit's stories..)

Into the Woods by blamburner

Last edited by nothingtosay on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:31 pm 
3. Flaming O

Thanx u :peace

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next