The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grey's Anatomy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:59 am 
2. Floating Rose

Any Grey's Anatomy fans here?

I scanned the threads in this section, and I didn't find any dedicated to Grey's Anatomy, so I thought I'd start one. I'm sorry if I just missed it. :blush

If you haven't seen it yet, tune in next time it's on TV, or rent the DVD's. Seriously!

The show is centered around a group of surgical interns competing with each other, as in the first episode it was made clear that not everyone can survive 'the game'.

Despite being each other's competition, the five main interns form a friendship..well four really, because they often point out that Alex, a somewhat jerk, is not their friend.

The main character is Meredith Grey whose mother was a legendary surgeon, now residing in a home due to her Alzheimer’s. No one but Meredith knows this and we watch as she tries to hide this fact from the rest of the surgeons throughout the first season.

In the first episode we find out that her one night stand was actually her boss, Dr. Derek Shepherd, who's an attending (basically a doctor with a status above hers on the hospital hierarchy). After some hesitation from Meredith they continue their affair (and i am not using that word randomly) against the advice of the rest of the surgeons.

However Meredith is not the only one sleeping with the boss, Cristina, another intern is sleeping with Dr. Burke, who's also an attending and in direct competition with Dr. Shepherd for Dr. Webber’s position of Chief.

And that's not all! There's also Izzy, the ex-supermodel who used to do for lingerie shoots in order to pay for med school, Dr. Bailey who's known as the Nazi, George who seriously needs to get some action, and of course previously mentioned Alex, the jerk with 'hidden pain'.

It might sound like a lame hospital drama, but it’s impossible not to get hooked on this show! Seriously.

Dr. Meredith Grey: After all this time, all your warnings about me sleeping with my boss and you're doing the same exact thing.
Dr. Cristina Yang: Oh, it's not the same thing.
Dr. Meredith Grey: It's the exact same!
Dr. Cristina Yang: No, it's not. You and McDreamy are in a relationship.
Dr. Meredith Grey: And you and Burke are in?
Dr. Cristina Yang: Switzerland. It's very neutral there and they make very nice watches.

Post subject: Re: Grey's Anatomy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:05 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I got pulled into this show by my ex, and am very happy to have been. It is not ER (though it does kind of sound like it, I'll admit). There are very compelling story lines and the main medical cases always have something to do with the story line (usually symbolically). The characters are well written and portrayed, and the delivery of the more comedic lines are excellent. Sadly I missed the season finale (darn those two parters), but am looking forward to catching it on the rerun circuit.

It's also very interesting to watch is as a nursing student. The procedures and terminology are very accurate, and if you pay attention very closely, you can actually learn things (I sometimes consider the show a review or a quiz for my schooling). On thing that does bug me though... the doctors can't seem to learn how to properly use a stethoscope (they put them in backwards more than half of the time). Just a bit of a pet peeve.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:15 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

There wasn´t a thread for this show yet, I had thought about starting one as I really like it too. Thanks for actually doing so. :) We are as usual behind here, the show went on summer hiatus a few weeks ago somewhere during s2.

To me Grey´s Anatomy is superior to ER (even in it´s good days) or indeed any other medical show I have seen so far. It has a host of interesting mostly likable characters, there is plenty of clever humor to lighten the mood without it being unrealistic or becoming a comedy (like Scrubs, which I love as well). The medical stuff seems very accurate to me too (I have not even noticed the stethoscope thing, but I´ll be sure to look extra closely now), though of course they encounter more exotic problems than might be statistically probable, but who cares. I would not want to watch them taking out appendices and replacing hips most of the time.

I like almost all of them, but Bailey is my favorite character of the lot. I am very impressed by the actress who makes me absolutely believe in her character. My least favorite character, and I would not be me if there was not at least one person I loath, is dr Mc Dreamy. I find him to be so hopelessly uninteresting and boring that I find it impossible to believe that his wife has not wrapped him up like a present and given him to Meredith just to be rid of him (or maybe she has by now, we are about 15 episodes behind after all).

Mrs. Cartman: Well, I know a little kitty who is sleeping with Mommy tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:56 am 
12. Recently Gay

I've watched this show from the start, and I'm sure I've seen every episode. I can't say that I love it though, the way I do say VM. I see it more like you rated Medium a while ago G, as a show I always seem to watch but wouldn't feel upset if I happened to miss seeing one. To me it's not a medical show at all, it's a show about relationships that happens to take place in a hospital. Neither of the lead characters (which I'd say are Dr. Grey and Dr. Not-so -McDreamy) interest me much, but I like a lot of the others. I love Sandra Oh and Katherine Heigl in particular. Bailey is a great character, I'm glad they're giving her more to do. Since you are so far behind G I won't talk about specific ep's. It will be interesting to see how it will do in the fall on the new night. I suspect it will do very well since it seems to be one of those shows that people like to watch and then talk about with their friends and co-workers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:46 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh feel free to talk about whatever episode you want. Indeed, I like this show quite well, but like you said, I would not mind terribly if I miss an episode and I do not mind being spoiled at all. In fact, if you could tell me Mrs Mc Dreamy will dump her Ken doll husband, I´d actually be much obliged.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:16 am 
12. Recently Gay

No she hasn't. They are dragging that out quite a bit, perhaps partly because the Kate Walsh character has caught on and they aren't sure what do with her after she dumps Dr. Useless. Did you see Bailey having a baby yet? Classic. Christina Ricci does a nice guest star turn in a couple of ep's. And Katherine Heigl's character may or may not be around next season, but at least she's alive. How's that for spoilage?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:38 pm 
2. Floating Rose

this show is funny. tho their starting to bug me with them all being in a couple n' triangles n' stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:47 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I am loving this show more and more. Got caught up till the second episode of the new season now. I missed the season finale, but I will catch that at another time. My hatred and disdain for Dr. McDrecky is rising along with my love for the show and every other character in it, but as I have said before, there has yet to be a show in which I have not thoroughly despised at least one character. I simply cannot see why smart beautiful women such as Meredith and Mrs truly McDreamy would fall for a sniffling selfabsorbed holier than thou whiner when he is not the center of their universe prick like that or why they´d pine over him even after he treats them like utter shit and humiliates them without any genuine remorse or hesitation, but I guess there is no accounting for taste.
On the upside, Dr. Torres is a great addition to the show and the rest of the characters are just getting more and more interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:33 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

This show and Veronica Mars are the two that I live for. My friend (then crush) pulled me into it quite forcefully mid-Season Two, giving me all the background I would ever need in a very delightful ten minute recap, but I've been a dedicated viewer ever since.

I am such a huge Addison and Christina fan (not necessarily that pairing though). The show is just so...funny! It makes me laugh, it makes me cry, and I look forward to it every week.

diamondforever's fanfiction archive

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:01 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

diamondforever wrote:
I am such a huge Addison and Christina fan (not necessarily that pairing though).

funny that you say that, because they actually played a lesbian couple in the film "under the tuscan sun".

i love this show. the writing is great, the cast is diverse and talented but its salacious enough to feel like a guilty pleasure (which is my favorite kind of pleasure). i also particularly enjoy the fact that the show was created by a woman of color.

plus, kate walsh (dr. addison montogmery-shepard) is my new future wife.

Last edited by kisstheviolets on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Anatomy fight
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:47 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 1
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/mov ... htm?csp=34

I'd been following the big fight on the set of Anatomy and the aftermath in the Gays: Hollywood's Biggest Taboo? thread but I figure it really belongs here.

USA Today has a good article about the state of things, with quotes from a couple of other actors and musicans. Including Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip's Sarah Paulson, who is beautiful, talented, and let's face it, my current lesbian crush.

Quote:
Anatomy's Patrick Dempsey, who was involved in the October confrontation, presented the TV comedy award to NBC's The Office but otherwise kept a low profile, confining himself to the backstage green room. But Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip's Sarah Paulson had no problem speaking out: "If someone said that about me and outed me that way, it would be really hard. I appreciate that (Grey's co-star) Katherine Heigl stood up for T.R. because it's our job to protect each other."

Some are calling for the actor, Isaiah Washington's, dismissal. I've been of two minds about it. On the one hand, I dislike bigmouthed homophobic idiots and I like seeing them get a cold hard smack of reality right back in the face.

But on the other, I dislike the idea that a man could be fired from a job that he supposedly does well because he expressed an opinion. Albeit one with which his castmates and producers (and me) disagree. (Granted, the ability to get along with your castmates and producers might be considered just as big a part of his job as good acting.)

My problem is, if I smugly say that this is okay, what do I say if Fox decides to fire Hugh Laurie from House because he won't make a pro-Bush speech in character? Niether of those things would ever happen, I don't think, I'm just looking for an analogy.

Fortunately, I found a solution to this moral dilemma, and in the most unlikely of places. I've rarely thought I'd ever find myself agreeing with John Mayer about anything (he liked the second season of Huff, for crying out loud), but he's got a great idea:

Quote:
Other celebs have been chiming in, too: Neil Patrick Harris of CBS' How I Met Your Mother told People.com, "I was just sort of stunned that anyone would want to rehash any of that again." And singer John Mayer, on his blog, says Washington's character should have to come out as gay on Grey's. "What better way for an actor to get to the roots of his discrimination than by portraying the very subject of his own ire for the remainder of his contract?"

That's brilliant.

House: "Another life saved by girl-on-girl action."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Except that he has played a gay character before!

From an LA Times article:

Quote:
A veteran Hollywood television and film actor, the 43-year-old Washington played a gay character in Spike Lee's 1996 movie "Get on the Bus" who confronts vicious homophobia.

Some people never learn. :spin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:18 pm 
5. Willowhand

Huh. I've seen that movie, and remember liking it, but I forgot there was even a gay character in it.

There's a column in the new Entertainment Weekly about this and relating it to the larger situation for gays in Hollywood, by a writer named Mark Harris.

He is not inclined to accept Washington's "sorry," but offers a few examples of things he himself is sorry about, including but not limited to:
Quote:
I'm sorry that it took ABC half the TV season to remind itself of its corporate responsibility. I'm sorry that not a single sponsor of Grey's Anatomy had the guts to speak up, even last week. I'm sorry that we in the gay community didn't make a lot more noise about this a lot sooner. I'm sorry that so many actors choose — and it is, whatever they tell themselves, a self-serving choice — to stay in the closet, since the more out actors there are, the less okay homophobia in entertainment becomes. I'm sorry that there aren't more gay characters on television: I don't want quotas or tokens, but I do think that shows like Grey's Anatomy and Lost and Heroes, which pride themselves on the variety of their ensembles, could expand their vision to better reflect their world, since series ranging from The Office to The Wire have shown that it's not so hard. Most of all, I'm sorry that the rerun ritual that Washington's apology invites us to watch is likely to obscure all this.

Fortunately, the full column is on their web site and doesn't seem to be behind a subscriber-only wall:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20009696,00.html

ETA Via TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2007/01/29/gay-star- ... or-isaiah/

Quote:
Lesbian actress Tammy Lynn Michaels, partner of rocker Melissa Etheridge, is the first (and only) voice from Tinseltown's gay community to come out and defend the "Grey's Anatomy" pariah. In her blog, Hollywood Farm Girl, former "Popular" star Michaels writes, in free-form quasi-poetical Rosie-verse, that the Washington she knows -- the one whose kids play with her and Etheridge's kids -- "is not that man," i.e., the hot-tempered Isaiah currently in treatment for anger management . Says Michaels,

he is not a bad man ...
i forgive his words,
because truth be told
i do not believe
the word
faggot
lives in his heart

I don't care much for the poetry, but I thought the context was interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:07 am 
3. Flaming O

Quote:
I'm sorry that there aren't more gay characters on television: I don't want quotas or tokens, but I do think that shows like Grey's Anatomy and Lost and Heroes, which pride themselves on the variety of their ensembles, could expand their vision to better reflect their world, since series ranging from The Office to The Wire have shown that it's not so hard.

It's interesting that he should mention Lost and Heroes considering a comment by Ian Somerhalder from Lost that many consider to be homophobic and the Heroes producers caving in to Thomas Dekker when he 'asked' for his character to be de-gayed.

Quote:
the Washington she knows -- the one whose kids play with her and Etheridge's kids -- "is not that man,"

She sounds just like Jodie Foster defending Mel Gibson.

I don't watch Grey's Anatomy but I'd be interested to know if anyone has a problem watching it now. Usually I find it very easy to separate actor from character but not when they say something in public that I consider to be homophobic or racist. Watching Ian Somerhalder in Smallville I ended up fast forwarding past his scenes and I'm not sure I'll be watching Signs again. Well someone had to like it. :p

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:46 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I have no problem watching Grey´s Anatomy at all. Mr. Washington is not the main star. He is a part of that show, but so is TR Knight and after seeing the interview with him on Ellen, I more than ever wish for the show that he acts on to remain a hit so that he can continue to shine in it and show that it is possible to be out and a succesful public figure at the same time. He seems like a really nice guy and I wish him well.

Grey´s anatomy does have a gay character btw, the bartender, he may only be a secondary character, but he makes regular appearances and he does have a relationship and so far neither of them has bit the dust or gone insane. I was also pleased with how they handled the episode that had a transgendered (MTF) patient. The respectful and caring way Dr McSteamy, an apparent macho uber hetero plastic surgeon, treated her was refreshing compared to the way transgendered people/patients have been treated on ER where they rather jump of roofs after being treated in an offensive manner by the nice blue collar doctors like Carter.

Of course I wish for more than this when it comes to the portrayal of LGBT characters on TV, but Grey´s anatomy remains my favorite show by a landslide.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:49 am 
12. Recently Gay

After watching the end of the three part arc of Mer almost dying- well, okay dying and then miraculously living - I had to post here to see if i'm the only one who thought it was the dumbest thing ever. I mean, seriously. I really need to read Garfield's comments on this one. I noticed an unfortunately familar name on the writing credits,perhaps that explains it.

It was beautifully acted though, I have to give them that. Sandra Oh was remarkable.

Last edited by seurat on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:30 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh I have not seen the last part yet, but I have been meaning to comment on the past two episodes. I am somewhat amazed they managed to spread out Meredith´s drowing/dying over three episodes. They made it a cliffhanger twice. Though you can debate whether this can be called a cliffhanger. What was I supposed to feel? Afraid? Distraught? The show is called Grey´s Anatomy. Gosh yeah, I have been ever so worried that the main character the show is named after would die. Yeah, sure. Anyway, that was over the top even compared to the guy with the bomb in his guts and the patient with the toxic blood that almost killed everyone but the patient who actually had it in her veins. Oh well, it is a dramady after all. I can take the ridiculous along with the good, and there is a lot of good that surely cannot be ruined, not even by she who is the master of ruining that which is good.

Edited to add that I would not even know how to comment on the ridiculousness of the goings on in this episode. The one thing that oddly annoyed me the most, aside from Izzy being an unjustified bitch to Callie, is the pregnant lady´s facial make up. That has got to be the shittiest injury make up I have ever seen. Other than that, as long as Callie, Addison, Christina and Bailey appear for at least a second each per episode, I will keep loving this show no matter what melodrama queens they hire to produce it into the ground.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:08 am 
2. Floating Rose

ok no one is talking about the whole izze an George thing or about Calie has like everyone forgotten her ...... Grr it totally pisses me off how TV can make crap like ok an everyone is just supposed to shrug an say hey it happens an we like them so its all good. well its not dammit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:54 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
You have a point about the constant "bed-hopping" on this show--this is one of the reasons I tend to prefer "Scrubs", which is actually much the same format (interns who become residents), but from a comic point of view. This makes the show much less "soap-opera-y" than "Grey's Anatomy" and more pleasant to watch.

Besides, the relationship changes on "GA" are so frequent and so complicated, that it is often difficult (at least for me) to keep track!
[/u]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:52 am 
12. Recently Gay

Well, I actually really enjoyed one recent ep - the "penis fish" one - but unfortunately I thought the two hour ep that served as an introduction to the Kate Walsh spinoff was dreadful. Why is it necessary to dumb her down like that? The first elevator scene was so bad that I almost gave up right then. And it only got worse after that.

But loved that previous ep, Christine's reaction to the fish, and the reaction of all the men when they finally got it out and saw it. Maybe it helps that I read about the creature in one of Redmond O'Hanlon'a books and started giggling as soon as I realized what they were talking about. (O'Hanlon is a brilliantly funny, if slightly mad, travel writer.)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:50 am 
5. Willowhand

Say, um, you guys have heard who's been named the show runner for the "Grey's" spinoff, right?

Marti Noxon.

But her track record suggests it'll either be off the air or she will have left the series over "creative differences," within five episodes.

Last edited by Ben Varkentine on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:08 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I thought the two-episode idea was a bit weak, mainly because I didn't really like the characters in Private Practice all that much. It seems like an excuse to spin-off into a new medical drama about mid-life crisis late 30-ers instead of a show with interns, etc. Didn't really care for any of the characters, either.

I hope Addison comes back to Seattle Grace.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:49 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Quote:
Why is it necessary to dumb her down like that? The first elevator scene was so bad that I almost gave up right then. And it only got worse after that.

You said it. Still, I will give the spin off a chance regardless of what misery queen they´ve hired to come up with the horrible been there seen that relationship drama OD-ing they ´treated´ us with in this way too long of an introduction. I´ll give it chance because for now I´d be content to just sit there and watch Kate Walsh reading a phone book. I would actually prefer that over having to look at her in an endless mating dance with that -snoring boring unattractive botoxed one too many times boo hoo he is secretly deeply sensitive- guy that Tyne Daly´s brother is playing. Bleh, I wish they´d hired his big sister instead and have her be the boss of them all or something. Anyho, I´ve already found a character to despise with as much vigour as I do McWhiny, so that is something else to look forward to.

The original I will keep watching too as I love Bailey, Christina and Callie too much to stop, but I am not sure how long that will be enough. Killing the step mom was just a fucking nasty thing to do. She was just another cheap prop to create some more daddy daughter angst that could have been created in plenty of other ways. I sincerely hope next season will bring back the fast paced clever humour combined with the right amount of drama that the first two seasons had.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:15 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

New season started, no Burke, don´t mind that, hope it lasts. No Addison, do mind that, have to look up that spin off I guess. Meredith Grey is a class A bitch, can´t stand her and her whiny sniffling Mc Asshole on and off boyfriend. Did not like how they made Callie Torres such an almost helpless halfwit this episode, but she, Christina Yang and Bailey are more than enough to keep me watching and loving this show.

Last edited by urnofosiris on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:47 pm 
16. Pancakes in Bellies

i love this show. does anyone know which date the spin-off starts/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:49 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

The spin-off, Private Practice, debuted last Wednesday -- although apart from a naked dancing Addison (thank you, Shonda!) at the beginning, I thought that it really dregged off into boredom quite quickly.

It's on at 9pm EST, though. I'm not sure which channel, however.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:03 pm 
16. Pancakes in Bellies

damnit i missed it. maybe i can find it online. i think it's on abc just like greys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:48 pm 
12. Recently Gay

I missed Private Practice (the spin off) and I'm not sure how hard I'm going to work at catching up to it. I like Kate Walsh a lot, but that eartlier ep that they used to introduce her show was foul. I guess I'll have to wait and see how many other new shows I need to watch (the list so far: Life, Reaper, Bionic Woman, Chuck and Moonlight). If I keep watching all of them I might have to pass on her show.

As for Grey's, I actually thought the new season premiere was pretty good. Bailey was great, Christine was good with the new interns, Izzy was tolerable but I could live without the last scene with George. I miss Addison, but Dr. Grey's sister looks like she might be ok. Maybe she can become the Grey in the title and we can get rid of the original and her painful off and on relationship with that loser. Not my favorite part of the show, maybe you can tell.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:38 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
I hope that everyone enjoyed Seth Green's appearance on the show tonight (11/22). Gotta admit that I didn't expect the horrific ending for him-- I hope he survives.

Also enjoyed the interesting sub-plot about the white supremicist who refused treatment from doctors of color. It makes me wonder what people like this do when they get sick or injured--do they think that there is a "white" way of suturing an incision? People like that are just setting themselves up for a fall: I have lung disease and my pulmanologist is a black South African--I wouldn't have it any other way. Why? 'Cause he's the best! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:16 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

This show and Ugly Betty are the only two I am currently watching, I was amused by the familiar guest appearances in the same week. He will be there next episode, but who knows for how long. Some of the things they come up with really is too much of a stretch, but whatever, the medical stuff is pretty accurate most of the time.

That subplot thing seemed awfully familiar, I think there has been an episode like that on ER, but that guy had reformed himself if I recall and this one either is still a racist or he is very very stupid, probably both given the tattoo. A white doctor knows what that symbol stands for since old Adolf decided to use it. He or she may have as many or more reasons to despise his ass as Bailey and Christina have. A white doctor can be jewish, gay, bi, transgendered or just not be particularly fond of assholes like that for no other reason than being revolted by the evil he stands for.

Anyway, I am enjoying this season, I really like Lexi, what a relieve to have the show named after a character I can actually sympathize with. I absolutely love Dr Hahn. What a way to replace both Burke and Addison.
I am also finding myself less annoyed by McDreamy (see I am not calling him McBarfy anymore) these days, it helps that he no longer getting to act like a whiny shit around his ex.