The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reflections in raindrops
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:57 pm 
Two great fics showing the love and passion of Willow are: Hold It and "New Moon Rising": What you didn't see both by Wendy (sfgo2002). I really feel that Wendy captures the chemistry that Amber and Aly bought to the role and tranlates it into incediable passion between Willow and Tara. Sensual and beautiful. Check 'em out. :pride

I see dead lesbian cliches

Post subject: Novel length fics for astrangerhere
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:23 pm 
Hey stranger! Sorry, it was cheesy, but I had to say it. If you are looking for a few more long fics, I recommend Sassette's Answering Darkness which not only meets the "novel length" criteria, but is also, in my opinion, one of the absolute best fics on the board. It should be in the A-M completed fic archive. A pair of great stories that you will want to read are Lisa Countryman's (Lisa of Nine) Unexpected Consequences in the A-M completes fic archive and its in-progress sequel Milestones, which I think is still in Pens. The Rainbow Writers' a.k.a Kath Wolf and Beth Dragon's collaborative works, including their Season Seven Rewrite, qualify as novel length if read sequentially. The first episode in that series is Gift of Sorrow and should be in the A-M completed fic archive. Also check their website for several long W/T series and stories. That's probably a couple thousand pages of wonderful fanfic for you to explore. These are just the longest ones that come to mind. I'm sure that others can offer other suggestions. I'm sorry I am not computer sauvy enough to provide you with links. Welcome to the board and I hope that you find the perspective you seek here. Take care.

Kerry

"In fluent aphasia the subject talks at great length, but are unaware that what they are saying makes no sense."
Art said, "I know a lot of people with that problem." -Kim Stanley Robinson's Blue Mars

Edited by: fluffylamb at: 10/27/03 7:25 pm

Post subject: Re: Tempus Fugit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:39 pm 
hey, just responding to astrangerhere's request for novel-length fiction. all of the fics I'm about to recommend have been written about with far better poetry earlier in this thread so feel free to click back for lengthy reviews.

First there's The Dark Rose by DarkMagicWillow. A quest, high magic and fantasy. You can tell DMW is a writer/student of some of the best fantasy and scifi out there with a serious romantic streak. A great story, beautifully written and long enough to satisfy your novel-length needs.

Next is probably my favorite fic, Terra Firma by Tulipp. Beautifully crafted, wonderfully written, Tulipp takes the wreck of S6 and resurrects Tara (and all of the other characters) with stunning and sublime results. Tulipp can WRITE people!!!

xomel

Post subject: Re: holiday fics
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:20 pm 
Hey a.s.h., the first holiday fic that comes to my mind is
Katharyn and Forrister's Holiday Fic 2002

Hope this helps

Post subject: Re: The Pens Recommendation Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:51 pm 
Oh wow, the holidays are upon us...

In addition to the 2002 Holiday fic, Katharyn and Forrister did one prior to that, A Holiday Fic: A Sunnydale Carol

Also, I could never forget jixer’s Giving Thanks and its sequel Christmas Yet To Come
Enjoy.

--celia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:15 pm 
I want to recommend the story Miss Tara Maclay: Citizen Of The Teran Empire By Jixer. Jixer has created a fascinating world for the story with lot's of interesting characters in it. The story itself has lots of twists and turns in it that will keep you on the edge of your seat right up till the end. SO if you haven't read it already then I recommend you do so now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:58 am 
Ok, I have a fic I definitely want to recommend. It's Hellebore by Artemis. It doesn't seem like many people are reading it which is a real shame as it's one of the best stories on this board.

Hellbore takes place in the universe of a video game called Diablo II. But you can generally think 15th century Europe but with some amazing advancements and everyone knows about magic. Tara is, believe it or not, an Amazon warrior on a political mission while Willow is a very powerful sorceress student who is on a learning tour.

Without giving away too much plot, I will say that the story is wonderful. The relationship between the girls is beautiful and romantic and the sex is amazing. The story has abundant NC-17 bits with each one being unique and different. They dress in some beautiful clothes and attend social events but also run across the countryside to escape demons.

Currently the story has 54 or 55 parts posted and Artemis posts updates frequently and regularly. He also gives thorough discussion in his responses to feedback. Occasionally he posts wonderful graphics to illustrate a point in the story.

If I had to recommend only one story to Kittens, this would be the one. Thanks.

Debra

Post subject: Recomendation
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:35 pm 
"Captain Red and the Denizens of Mars" is another great AU fic by KiwiAlcyone (Anna).

This one is set in the 1930's as they should have been with kick @ss women pilots like Captain "Red" Rosenberg and Tara MacClay. They are fighting to save the world from LGF's, evil aliens intent on destroying truth, justice and Willow/Tara's smoochie time. They must be stopped. It's got action, adventure, Willow/Tara and W/T smoochies. It's all good.

Check it out! You won't be sorry. :pride

Edited by: sam7777  at: 5/5/04 10:38 pm

Post subject: Special
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:13 pm 
Special, by DarkWiccan

Finished, fairly short, 'R' rating, lives up to its title.

This fic is well and truly awesome. Willow and her special needs son, Joshua, meet Tara at the daycare. Love ensues.

Warning! This story is a Weeper (note the capital 'W', because I'm not kidding), but I loved it and had to recommend it.

-Sass

Post subject: Re: Classic Recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:50 pm 
  • Bread by Tulipp

This jewel of a short story is the perfect farewell to Buffy. Focusing on Willow, Tara, and Dawn, it tells the story of the summer after The Gift in a handful of moments where small changes made all the difference: A June night. A July morning. An August afternoon. It begins and ends with one of my favorite quotes from Ursula K LeGuin:
    "Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone;
    it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time,
    made new."

Tulipp has a superlative ability to deeply and compassionately understand the characters of Buffy, both their flaws and their strengths. While I'd read her work for her elegant style and beautiful descriptive writing alone, it's her command of character that allows her to write those small, often wordless, moments that touch me the most and that inspires me to reread her works. This story does not lead to any of the events of season 6.
  • Terra Firma by Tulipp

Willow returns with Dawn from their summer with the Coven in England after the events of season 6 (this story was written before season 7). Once again, Tulipp gathers up the discarded and underused threads of the past season's story and weaves them together in a new tapestry of surpassing beauty. We slowly learn to compassionately understand how each of the characters ended up where they were at the end of that season and how they can grow from there.

As with Bread, the major characters are Willow, Dawn, and yes, Tara; her return is a mystery whose depths we gradually explore throughout the course of the story. It also brings back my favorite villain of season 5: the wonderfully creepy Doc, who has his own past with a deeper connection to the Scoobies than you might expect. However, this longer story takes the time to deal with the changes in all the Scoobies; I especially like what we learn about Giles's history and how he both fails and succeeds in dealing with Willow's changes over the course of this story.

Chapter 6, "Breathe," is a wonderful and powerful story in itself, whose ability to deal with complex issues without dialog reminds me a bit of the episode Hush. However, my favorite chapter is the final one. The elemental imagery of the ending is beautiful, with each pair of element and person matching perfectly with the character's story and personality. The ending is more powerful emotionally than that of Grave, not only for Buffy and Dawn but also for Willow. As the title promises, it brings us, the readers, out of the storm that was season 6 to once again stand on firm ground, terra firma.
  • Tempus Fugit by lipkandy

In the Fall after season 6, the Scoobies are still trying to find a way to talk with each other and to rebuild their relationships. Willow's having a particularly difficult time after her return to England, as she lives in a house with Buffy and Dawn but finds that interacting with them is like walking through a minefield of old hurts and fears. Just as you think they can't have a more difficult time getting back together, the mixture of personalities grows in volatility as Faith returns to Sunnydale with a story about Cordelia having a vision about a world-destroying artifact which Buffy has just discovered. She wants to take it back to LA with her.

Buffy doesn't believe Faith and accidentally triggers the artifact, sending her and Willow back in time to season 4 where they exist in their bodies of that time, leaving Dawn in the present with the almost impossible task of getting Faith, Spike, Anya, and Xander, all of whom have substantial reasons not to trust or like each other, to work together long enough to figure out what's happened to Buffy and Willow and how to fix it.

Back in season 4, Willow warns Buffy that they have to do everything just the same as they did when they first lived through these events, for the smallest change could completely alter their present through the butterfly effect. That's easier said than done, not only for a Slayer whose diary only says "lunch" and "patrol" for every day, but also for a witch who has what might be a second chance at life and love. Buffy is also faced with the temptation of having a second chance with those she loves most. The scenes with Joyce are wonderful and deeply revealing about her character, allowing us to better understand how she felt about Dawn in season 5.

Of course, how they got to the past might kill them and their friends in the present, who need their help to face the demonic owner of the artifact who has come to reclaim his possession. For some, that might be a sacrifice worth making for a few moments of perfect happiness with those who have departed. Butterflies or no, changing the future is both easier and harder than you might expect, and there are no simple solutions to the problems of the present to be found in altering the past.

The author has a deep grasp of all the Buffy characters; her Dawn, unsure and hurt but determined to do what's right to save her sister and Willow, and Faith, who's striving to do what's right but whose feet occasionally slip off the road to redemption, are especially well portrayed, as are Buffy and Willow and their uneasy relationship with each other. While the events of the present feel like an episode of Buffy, the events of the past are a beautiful look at what could have been with the poignant knowledge that Buffy and Willow have to return to the present, one way or the other.

The ending is wonderfully complex and unexpected.
  • Sidestep Chronicle by Katharyn

The ultimate vampire Willow story.

It starts with Willow becoming a vampire, follows with her canonical staking, then continues with her subsequent resurrection at the hands of Wolfram and Hart in the place of Darla's resurrection of the Angel season 1 finale. This story shows all of your favorite characters from a different point of view: Faith who becomes Giles's surrogate daughter as Buffy did elsewhere though without losing her edge; a harder Giles who's had to see Sunnydale fall to the vamps, though he has Jenny Calendar to balance him; and Lilah who represents Wolfram and Hart's to the Mayor (what other law firm would represent the Mayor?)

And of course, a darker Tara who's become a vampire hunter after the loss of her parents. Tara comes to Sunnydale to work for the Mayor in order to destroy the Master, whom she blames for her loss. She knows it's a diabolical bargain, in much the same way that her use of the magicks is, but she can't help liking the man who acts more like a father to her than her own father ever did. She also finds a friend and perhaps more in Lilah, who comes to check on her for a mysterious prophecy held by Wolfram and Hart. Who and what the prophecy actually talks about is a wonderful twist, subverting all the expectations developed upon first reading about it.

Meanwhile, she meets a beautiful red-haired vampire, the parody of the girl of her dreams. Tara can't resist her and what they have is more than sex, but it's a lot less than love; their relationship's sure to get someone killed, perhaps including both of them, as Tara and Vampire Willow play an uneasy game of alliances with the Mayor, the Master (who is the scary villain he could've developed into if he'd survived Prophecy Girl), Wolfram & Hart, and the Council of Watchers.

Vampire Willow retains her predatory vampiric edge to a greater degree than canonical Spike does. Her revenge on Oz for staking her is scary; however, my favorite images are of her reaction to Tara being sick and how she ends up giving Tara a kitten as a "gift." Both are priceless. Despite their differences, neither Tara nor Vampire Willow can pull away from each other, though both know that it can't end well. I would've loved to have seen Buffy/Spike written more like this.
  • On Second Thought by Antigone

Willow chooses Oz in New Moon Rising because he needs her more, but she's still attracted to Tara. What should she do? Heartwrenching, terrifying, romantic, angsty, and sexy by turns, this story takes you through the full spectrum of emotion. This is a wonderful story of the relationships between the three characters and the unexpected darkness within one of them.

• Answering Darkness by Sassette

The best attempt at redeeming Willow's magic addiction arc of season 6 that I've read. It underlays the bare metaphor of that arc with story and mythology that explains such a deviation from the canon of magic in BtVS in a satisfying and enjoyable way.. This is also the story that first got me to like Anya with the chapters about Anya and Tara's road trip, as Tara leaves Sunnydale to get some perspective by being away from Willow while going to find her mother's books which she thinks might hold the secret to what's happening to Willow. This story also reveals the secret of why Glory was so easy to defeat in The Gift.
  • Unexpected Consequences by Lisa Countryman

Another interesting take on Willow's magic addiction arc; I guarantee that you will not be expecting the consequences in this story. Lisa has a breezy, light style that's easy to read, yet emotionally powerful. The first few chapters are an emotional rollercoaster as Willow and Tara discover those consequences and what they might mean for not only their relationship but the world. The consequences are far more surprising yet sensible than magic crack. The middle isn't as compelling as the beginning or ending; in particular, Amy's arc with the Witches Council is an unwelcome distraction from the main story. However, the ending with Tara's three trials is incredible and it would be worth reading the whole story for those scenes alone.

Post subject: recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:42 pm 
Just wanted to add a loud, solid I-second-that to the recommendation of AntigoneUnbound's "On Second Thought." Possibly because NMR is one of my fave eps, this is my hands-down fave fic. I have a copy on my harddrive for the times when I crave good fic but can't get to an Internet connection (sigh, the joys of living without wireless...).

But. Seriously Kittens, you are missing out if you don't add this to your mental fic collection. There are priceless gems of hysterical lines (Anya in this fic should not be missed, as well as wonderful streams of Willowbabble), a caring true-best-friend Buffy (which Goddess knows we didn't get enough of) as well as a few well-placed digs towards JW/ME's absolute idiocy. Oh, and some of the best NC-17 between Willow and Tara I've ever read ;) as well as copious amounts of cuteness.

Go. Go and read. It's in the Archives. Go!

"You see, I think love comes from God. And so, to turn away from love, real love, it could be argued, is to turn away from God." - Dare Truth or Promise

Post subject: Recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:41 am 
Hi All,

Just finished reading this fic and wanted to recommend it to you all. Takes places in alternate Season Six, Willow and Tara still break up but that's pretty much where it divirgues. A really interesting take on where the season could have gone. Definately worth a read!!!
And It Went A Little Something Like This

Post subject: Re: My two cents
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:07 pm 
I love this thread. Here's my current top 2, check everyday to see if they've been updated fics.

"This Look of Love" by Urn of Osiris
Read this one first, and then the sequel"Pathway and Patterns", and then her third installment, a current work in progress "Leap of Faith".

No season 7, no unhappiness left over from the show. If you want just a love story, big on mush, TLOL is a great start. Happy Willow/Tara and a "little" surprise. It's not very long, but worth it for a HUGE happy factor. Our girls are getting married!!

The sequel dives into Tara's past, and follows a more episodic arch. It is a darker story then TLOL- Osiris isn't afraid to upset her characters. This is my favorite (so far) simply because of Osiris's wonderful use of words. She creates very real characters and settings, and has a great feel for the show.

"Leap of Faith" is just starting, but it looks like the events of PW&P still need to be taken care of. Again, a slightly darker feel to it, but the nice thing with this series is you know going into it that come what may, it will end happy, and life will continue and love will grow.

All for now!
-LadyCallie

Post subject: Re: Recomendation
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:01 pm 
I would like to recommend "The Artifact" by Sabina. I absolutely love this fic. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. A wonderful mix of adventure and romance. A must read for all kittens.

Lisa

Willow finally knew the truth, that she didn’t need a reason to make love to Tara, because making love to Tara was a reason in and of itself. -Sassette

Post subject: Recomending!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:54 pm 
OK I haven't seen one of my favorites up here yet, so I wanted to suggest Growth, it is a good start! I have been digging it since the first time I read it, nice new freshness to the story of Willow and Tara... It is written by Wilowhand... good read!

Aly

Post subject: AU Vignettes: The Laundry Diaries
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:29 pm 
I would like to highly recommend "AU Vignettes: The Laundry Diaries"

It's a fairly quick read, with only two parts: Willow's first-person account of Willow and Tara meeting, and Tara's first-person account of the same.

In a laundromat.

At two in the morning.

It's really outstanding writing, clever, fun, and the warm fuzzy feeling you'll get is worth so much more than the time it takes to read it that the federal government of the United States will likely be stepping in soon to investigate whether or not such an astounding return-on-investment is even legal.

I suspect it isn't, so go read now. In fact, I'm going to take my own advice and have a shiny happy reread.

-Sass

Post subject: Re: Recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:02 am 
Well, humph. I went to bed last night telling myself that I was going to recommend *The Laundry Diaries* this morning, only to wake up and find that Sass had beaten me to it. Consider this another endorsement. Trom de Grey has written a terrific duo of AU vignettes, covering the same ground from Willow then Tara's POV. They're sweet, they're funny, they're meditations on the meaning of bravery, the ways that ordinary events can produce extraordinary moments, and life from the perspective of the third shift. And they've got Diane--a multiply-pierced grandma who just jumps off the page and wraps you in her arms! Don't let this one go by.

And while I'm here, let me also recommend Collected Short Fic by Jixer something I've been meaning to do for eons (well, months). This is a remarkably diverse collection of stories, some canon and some AU, some quite dark and others pure fluff. Jixer has the ability to paint a rich world in a sentence or two and to pluck emotional responses from the reader like a guitarist. My personal faves include 'Saving Ten Dollars and Postage" and "Bedtime Story."

One other recommendation: "What's Your Tale, Nightingale", by KiwiAlcyone. I read it last week over two days while stuck home with a nasty cold and it was the *perfect* medicine. It's an AU fic set in 1957, a romance between two women from opposite sides of the tracks. In KiwiAlcyone's own words, it's a "love story between our two girls set much in the style of the romance films of that period. I don't want to give too much more away than that. Other than the settings are New York and Paris, the music is rock and roll, the slang is a little weird... oh, and the world is not about to end in any hell dimensiony type way." This story is often screamingly funny, occasionally gut-wrenching, and very, very sexy. The ending is a little unrealistic, I think, given the time period in which the story is set, but that's the only bone I have to pick with KiwiAlcyone's remarkably rich and compelling story.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:12 pm 
Hello Kittens-

I am recommending Finding Miss Kitty Fantastico by Artemis. It's a unique look at an very different Willow, Tara, and of course Miss Kitty! For one thing, they're all cats, and each of the Scoobies makes an appearence in a different role than we have seen before. There's a quest, the theme of choosing your family and good versus evil along with many "Awww" moments.

Jixer

Post subject: Re: Recomendation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:26 am 
:bigwave I wanna recomend ''The mendacity of Tara Maclay'' by tinnakaren. Basically W/T are online buddies and Willow is already at UC Sunnydale so when Tara tells her she too will be attending next semmester, they agree to meet. However, things don't quite go to plan. Im not gonna spoil it but saying what happens, you'll have to read it! It's in the completed fics L-Z about page 3. Go read it! :) Hannah.

Post subject: Here Here!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:57 pm 
I second that LadyCallie.

I adore This Look of Love and P&P, and Leap of Faith is turning out to be a winner too!

Read it! They're fab!

Post subject: Common Areas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:16 am 
Now complete: Common Areas is one of the best fan fics I've ever read. Relatively short at 18 parts, it packs a lot into those 18 parts.

To summarize: Imagine that Willow and Tara find a magic mailbox that allows them to communicate even though Tara is in 2001 and Willow is in 2004. What if they agree not to change history but what if that vow is threatened?

Truly I can't recommend this fic highly enough.

Post subject: Re: Pens Recommendation Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:01 pm 
3. Flaming O

Can you or someone possibly make this a 'sticky' post? It might be a little bit easier to browse. : )

Also, a recommendation for W/T Season 3 Y'all by JustSkipIt

The story is basically, Willow sent away from Sunnydale for her senior year to a boarding school in Texas that Tara attends. The two quickly fall in love, and a lot of cutesy stuff ensues. Ranges from PG to NC-17 and is about 54 pages long on the old Pens Archive. It has a happy ending [the link to the sequel is posted below : ) thanks ] and is overall a very good story.

Last edited by s82 v on Tue May 10, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:23 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I'd like to recommend one of my favorite fics, and one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Bobby: A Spoof by snippygal
Rated: R
Summary: Buffy wakes up from the nightmare of season 6 on the UPN to find herself safe and sound in episode 5x22 on the good old WB. Until Joss comes on set to tell the characters that he's just made a deal...with PAX. But what about the demons! The vampires! The violence! The lesbians!

That's the plot, in so much as this story has one. Really, this one is all about being funny. Occasional dead-on parady, most often over-exaggerated spoof, this fic is laugh out loud hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:28 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Well, let me follow that up by recommending Paths Diverged/Divulged, also by JustSkipIt. Paths is the sequel to Y'all and picks up the story aproximately 3 months following Tara's death.

It's really helpful to read Y'all first since the subsequent events in Paths are directly related to the earlier story. Plus, it's just a really really good fic and you should read it first anyway. So there.

In Paths we find a despondent Willow willing to go to great lengths to find her soulmate. What follows is a beautiful story about finding the missing pieces of one's self. (That's my interpretation, anyway.)

I can't count how many times I've read this fic. It's my favorite of Debra's.

And, speaking of Debra, might I also recommend ANY of her fics from the archive...truly inspiring.

Carleen

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:33 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

First of all, I would like to echo the request that this be made into a "sticky" thread. It's a lot easier to find that way, and since it's not actually a fic it might be appropriate.

I would like to recommend a couple of fics:

Terra Firma, by Tulipp.
This is a post-season 6 fic, which heads out on a completely different path than season 7 of the show did. It starts out when Willow *and Dawn* are returning from the coven in England and follows the characters through Tara's return and beyond. The pull of the fic is that the prose is simply beautiful. Tulipp eloquently and poetically brings together the themes of Willow's mourning as well as her addiction, Dawn's key-ness, Xander's inferiority complex, and Tara's confusion over being back. There is A LOT of angst, but it's well worth it.

Answering Darkness, by Sassette.
If you have not yet read this fic, you simply must. It turns away from the canon right after "Tabula Rasa" and never looks back. Since it is a season 6 fic, there is obviously angst, but Sassette opposes it brilliantly with well-timed moments of hilarity and with simply beautiful scenes between Willow and Tara. This fic has it all - Tara and Anya on a roadtrip, a Spike that you will actually want around, an invocation of Dante's Inferno, and a spell that will make you need to take numerous cold showers. Read it, and read it now.

"I'm gonna do my best swan dive into shark-infested waters/ I'm gonna pull out my tampon and start splashing around/ 'Cause I don't care if they eat me alive/ I've got better things to do than survive/ I've got a memory of your warm skin in my hands/ And I've got a vision of blue sky and dry land" - Ani Difranco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:39 pm 
3. Flaming O

Not sure if this is the correct place for REQUESTING a recommendation, but here goes:

Can someone please recommend me something that meets the following criteria:

1. Ridiculously long...i.e. Sidestep/UC/Milestones-type length
2. Plenty of Angst
3. Takes W&T forever to get together (yeah, I'm a masochist, I also just read Neverland, and I want more!)
4. Preferably Season 4-based, but not essential.

Thanx :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:01 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Bread by Tulipp. I've been on a kick about this one lately. The lesser known of Tulipp's two astounding fan fic pieces, Bread takes place during the summer after season 5. Most that read it agree, it's how things should have ended. Breathtaking in it's simplicity, Bread is a must-read.

The Dark Rose by darkmagickwillow. One of the most intriguing post season 6 stories in W/T ficdom, I highly recommend this one. NINETEEN years have passed since Tara's horrific death and a hardened, embittered Willow is still seeking her lover's soul. What or whom will she encounter when she discovers that the soul she has scoured hell and earth for is residing in Sunnydale?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:00 am 
8. Vixen

Please, please, please, if you love W/T, and you love some seriously excellent fan fiction, read these two stories by Twisted Minstrel.

Re: New Fic - Above, Between, Below

New Fic: Arrears of Moonlight

The first is a Season 4, pre-NMR fic. It's really sweet, sexy, beautiful, funny, and extremely well written. Lots of Willow babble and oh yeah, there's some smutty action too!

The second is a "W/T back together after all the horror that was Season Six" story. Look out, it's pretty angsty but it all works out in the end. Tara gets to have her say in this one, and I really think that's long overdue. This fic really helped me "heal" (I know that's cheesy) after the total devastation of the sucky season.

Honestly, I cannot express how much I recommend these fics. They are brilliant and should not be missed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:34 pm 
3. Flaming O

I reckon this topic should be stickied...I remember spending some time trying to find it on the old board.

Just my 10p.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:50 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I'd recommended some of the following fics on the old rec. thread, but I decided to re-post (and update) when I realized a lot of newer Kittens were probably unaware that many of these gems even existed. I've got more to recommend, but I'll start with these. I've grouped them by length.

Longer fics:

Tempus Fugit by LipKandy

This may be the most lyrically written W/T fic I've ever read; its only equal imo is Neverland. Tempus Fugit takes place in the Fall after S6, which has unfolded as per canon, and also in S4. (It's a time travel thing.) It's a story about second chances, for Willow, for Tara, for Buffy, and for Faith. It's got a love scene that remains, for me, the sine qua non of emotional intimacy and a plot development that's gripping, unexpected, and emotionally satisfying. There are two other stories in the series. Tempus Fugit-S4 is a prequel of sorts, which takes place early in Willow and Tara's friendship. It's lovely as well. Tempus Fugit-Absolute Zero takes place as a consequence of the events written in S7, but takes place in an alternate season 4 timeframe (it's a time travel thing.) Unfortunately, Absolute Zero is a work in progress, and it's been quite some time since LipKandy updated. Oh well. Two out of three ain't bad. In fact, they're exquisite.

On Second Thought by Antigone Unbound.

I put off reading this story for the longest time because the teaser said that it was an alternate version of New Moon Rising, in which Willow chose Oz over Tara, and I didn't think my heart could take it. Ah Mary, I never should've doubted you; On Second Thought is a fabulous story that really delves into the complicated relationships between Willow, Tara, and Oz. Those of you who are reading As Time Goes By or who have read Gods Served and Abandoned know that Mary is a master of character and dialogue. You will love this Willow and Tara -- and this Buffy. And you will crack up laughing at the funniest "coming out to the Scoobies" scene I have ever read. My only quibble with this wonderful fic is with Oz. I've always been a huge Oz fan, actually, and I have a hard time reconciling Mary's take on him with the Oz that I know (if that makes any sense). That hasn't stopped me from re-reading this story at least a half dozen times....

What's Your Tale, Nightingale by KiwiAlcyone.

I read this fic over two days while stuck home with a nasty cold and it was the *perfect* medicine. It's an AU fic set in 1957, a romance between two women from opposite sides of the tracks. In KiwiAlcyone's own words, it's a "love story between our two girls set much in the style of the romance films of that period. I don't want to give too much more away than that. Other than the settings are New York and Paris, the music is rock and roll, the slang is a little weird... oh, and the world is not about to end in any hell dimensiony type way." This story is often screamingly funny, occasionally gut-wrenching, and very, very sexy. The ending is a little unrealistic, I think, given the time period in which the story is set, but that's the only bone I have to pick with KiwiAlcyone's remarkably rich and compelling story.

The River in Me by Triscuit7

The River in Me is a "missing scenes" retelling of S4 starting just after "Who Are You," and focusing on the growing W/T relationship. It is intensely sensual and deserves every bit of its NC-17 rating. While I'm a fan of River I actually don't like it as much as her The Edge of Silence, which takes up where River leaves off. Silence is a much bolder reimagining of S4--developing an original plotline to go along with canon. Sadly, Silence is unfinished.

Shorter fics:

Vignette Series by Sassette.

Sassette has recently started adding to this magnificent series of captured moments. She's up to 45 now, and we're the richer for it every time she adds another. The vignettes range across time from childhood to future, but I confess that my favorites tend to come from S4, especially vignettes #2, 31, 34, 42, and 45. But I love them all.

The Laundry Diaries by Trom DeGrey

Trom DeGrey has written a terrific duo of AU vignettes, covering the same ground from Willow then Tara's POV. They're sweet, they're funny, they're meditations on the meaning of bravery, the ways that ordinary events can produce extraordinary moments, and life from the perspective of the third shift. And they've got Diane--a multiply-pierced grandma who just jumps off the page and wraps you in her arms! Don't let this one go by.

Collected Short Fic by Jixer

This is a remarkably diverse collection of stories, some canon and some AU, some quite dark and others pure fluff. Jixer has the ability to paint a rich world in a sentence or two and to pluck emotional responses from the reader like a guitarist. My personal faves include 'Saving Ten Dollars and Postage" and "Bedtime Story."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next