The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pens Recommendation Thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:30 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

This is the place where you can share your love for and/or plug your favorite Pens fics.

A few guidelines:

1) The fic must be completed.

2) The fic must be on Pens or in one of our completed fic archives. (See below for links.)

3) You should explain why you are making this recommendation. The more detail you give, the more likely you are to bring a new reader to it.

4) Also please link to the fic. It is a nice honor to mention a fic here, but it's even nicer to make it easier for new readers to find it. (You can simply copy and paste the URL of the fic in your post.)

Our archives:

Willow/Tara Completed Fics Archive (Authors A-K)

Willow/Tara Completed Fics Archive (Authors L-Z)

We have now updated all the author listings.
Completed Fic Archives - #s A-M, author index
Completed Fic Archives - N-Z, author index

Fun liitle thread. Feel free to add your favorites!:
Favorite Fan fiction Quotes

Post subject: Re: The Pens Recommendation Thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:18 pm 
How I spent my summer vacation.
By Urn of Osiris

Reading one of the most incredible fics ever.

Unexpected Consequences

This is one of the most detailed adventures our W/T have ever been on. It begins in their small town of Sunnydale and whirls off in directions that you'd never imagined it could. Never once stopping to catch its breath. Hundreds of pages later you try to remember how Tara finds herself among the most powerful sources of Magic having humbly started with a sudden dizzy fainting incident in her dorm room. This is a breath taking adventure that never loses focus on the connection that brought Willow and Tara together.

It's an absolute must read for any and every fan of Willow and Tara. Gets the highest rating I can give. What ever that is for this board. Scale of one to ten I give it 10 Kitties.

Post subject: Here goes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:42 pm 
My personal favorite is This Little Wiccan by Nika; it ranges from PG to NC-17, easing into the Willow/Tara reconciliation. It has become my favorite because amid the Willow Tara sweetness and hot loving, Nika never loses the humor of the situations or takes an easy way out. There is angst, aww moments, and plenty of thuds. By all means, read up. The openly thing to be forewarned about are that there are big jumps in time between chapters, but nothing a determined kitten can't handle. I'm going to end this review with four little words that will make you rush to read this right now: Tara. Dressed. As. Batgirl.

Other highly recommended W/T reads are:
Once More, All Naked, All Gay by Dumbsaint. This fic is the funniest you will find, except for perhaps Once More With Bitterness. It's a close call between the two. I personally was near suffication from the intense laughter. Since Joss had promised an "All Naked, All Gay" episode, this fic is the fictional shoting script for that, only it is based off of the script and lyrics for Once More With Feeling. And thus hilarity ensues. On the long side, but worth everyside-splitting minute.

Post subject: My recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:38 pm 
I would like to recommend Once More, With Bitterness the Kitten signature fic!

Written during the days when the bitterness was high, the angst was free and some of us still thought Joss would come in and make everything allright. Like I said it is a work of fiction.

Read it. You will laugh, you will cry, you will wish for the Halcyon days of yore.

God, I just used 'yore' in a post.

Ok, thanks for the reminder Xita.
Ok why do I like this fic?
Well first off by itself is a fun read and a really funny parody of "OMWF" AND the Kitten Board (see we can laugh at ourselves.)

but also there are some good memories attached to it. Everyone reading the new songs as they were posted. Chat whores singing. Lots of alcohol was sacrificed on the altar of creativity.

Read it and enjoy. It is funny, but there is a not to subtle hint of saddness just below the surface. Was this the last happy moment on the Kitten? I hope not.

Warlock

Post subject: Endless
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:48 pm 
I know I'm just a lurker, but I think I read almost all fics here ...

Just some days ago I finished Endless, by Mike of the Nancy Tribe and I loved it.

It's a post season six story, and it deals with Tara's death. But what makes special this fic is that Mike wrote it in first person, and you can feel like if you were the protagonist, John. He feels the same for Willow and Tara that any of us, and it is amazingly written. He has lines like these that make you cry just for its beauty:"But there was a bigger part of me, the one that saw the love they shared, and rejoiced, that wanted nothing more than to give them back to each other. Their love was an element of nature, without which the universe itself would be incomplete. Willow loved Tara. Tara loved Willow. A fundamental truth at the heart of all things"

It's a fantastic and strong story. Please, read it.

Cordy

Post subject: Answering Darkness
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:57 pm 
Though I can't possibly believe there are people that have not read this, if you have not - then set aside a goodly chunk of time and read Answering Darkness. It's the way Willow's season 6 addiction arc should have been handled and will probably make you very bitter that we could have had something this good and instead got "Your shirt".

It's long, it's intricate, it's got puzzles to solve, it's got chicken casserole, it's got angst, it's got Tara naked for chapters and chapters, it's got a Spike you can like, it's got bizarre Willow dreams, it's got love and fate and hot hallway sex.

And best of all it's got a sequel.

Trust me on this one.

Autumn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:26 pm 
All of the above, plus….Terra Firma. What Tulipp manages to do with this fic is nothing short of miraculous, which is to say it is sensual, compelling, truthful, poignant, insightful, breathtaking, courageous, deeply spiritual and so many other wonderful descriptions, not the least of which is....healing. In so many ways, this beautifully written fic manages to reclaim the characters from the betrayal that was Season 6, and gives them -- and Tara -- back to us in a way that honors all of the Scooby relationships and does justice to each character by remaining true to whom we really know them to be. IMHO, this was a story that was not only necessary, it is a gift.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:14 am 
I appreciate the effort from those to really give some insightful comments. That is really what we are looking for in this thread, a review, tell us WHY you liked it, not just that you liked it. You are sharing why you love this fic and why you think someone else should read it. So that , a simple I liked it, isn't going to really going to promote further reading of the fic.

So let's try to focus on explaining why you think a fic is worthwhile.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Tara and Willow

Accept NO subsitutes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:54 am 
Only got a little bit of time?

Well here is a great little fic,Miss Kitty Fantastico Saves the Day, Again!

Written by Garner this is Willow and Tara's relationship through the eyes of MKF. Healthy does of magic, action and humor. Plus if you are fan of H.P. Lovecraft, as I am, then the tie ins with Lovecraft universe is fantastic.

Garner really takes this from the point of view of a cat. Complete with feline arrogance and detachment. It was funny to read about her annoyance at Willow and Tara staying up all night to have sex while she was trying to get her sleep!
Or this bit about Amy, "Miss Kitty knew she should have eaten the rat while she had the chance, rats are never, ever, up to any good."

Who knew MKF was so instrumental in the events of seasons 5 and 6?

Enjoyable and a satisfying read.

Warlock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:19 pm 
When I thought ‘Which fics would I recommend to my fellow Kittens ?’ one of the first titles that came to mind was Just one of the Wiccans by Dreiser, because I love it to pieces and I just re-read it recently.

Now for the why – if you are familiar with Dreiser’s style and humour, well it’s all there at its best. Situations, dialogue, characterization and narration are all hilarious, and yet at times touching and sweet, hey and sexy too. It is Willow and Tara after all.

The story is a ‘parody’, for lack of a more appropriate term, of the movie ‘Just one of the Guys’, so it pretty much follows the same plot points and such – except that it is a glorious Gay Extravaganza from start to finish, and that makes it quite the wild ride.*g*

To sum it up, the starting point of it all is that Willow has lost a computer program designing contest at Sunnydale High, and decides to make herself pass as a boy to enter the same contest in the town’s other participating high school, Pylea High. And whom shall she meet on her first day there but the divine Miss Maclay herself. Now it’s up to you to find out the rest.*g*

You’ll find all the usual suspects there, Will, Tara, Buffy, Xander, Anya and some less usual suspects such as Faith, Riley (in a good way) and so many more I won’t name here to keep the element of surprise. It’s such a thrill to see how Dreiser makes all these people click into place to tell that laugh out loud, sassy, romantic story.

So, run, don’t walk, to read this fic.

Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:44 pm 
I hope I am doing this right...

Here is another recomendation.

It is called Those That Feed and it is by Garner.

It is a Willow and Tara "roadtrip" story. But it is more than that. It is also very different that most stories in the Pens.

First it is first person narrated by Willow. This fits with the Lovecraftian nature of the story. And Garner pulls it off very well.

It is also a sequal of sorts to the Willow & Tara comic, "Wanna Blessed Bes".

It has a very Lovecraftian style which I enjoy, but you really get a feel for Willow in this one. How much she struggles, how smart she is, how much she loves Tara.

The end was very Lovecraft as well, which might turn some people off. Willow on the edge of sanity and Tara doing what she had to do. Plus Garner really captured the style of the two girls in his writting. I heard Willow's voice the whole time. I heard Tara's, and the saddness in Tara's voice was so strong.

I just realized that this is the second Garner fic I have recomended. Funny. Given the first one I read of his I hated and proceeded to tell him that.

I guess I am just a big Lovecraft whore.

Warlock

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:48 pm 
A fan fic I’d like to recommend is an oldie. So oldie I don’t think it’s on the current fic archives though it was posted November 2001 by wizpup on Novogate. It’s called Remember To Breathe (I printed it out at work and that’s how I know the date and still am able to re-read this little gem over and over again). Should I email the author first, ask them to re-post it (here or on the archives) and then post my reasons? it truly is a must read.

editing:

Thanks for the link kittens! As for the reasons why i love this story... it's a *beginning* piece, taking place during *i in team* when will drops by tara's after being dissed at the bronze. even though it's a short piece that leaves you wanting a lot, a lot lot more, it's so beautifully written that i get just enough. does that make sense? the description, the actions between the two and the internal questioning is so true and sweet and written quite well. i loved willow staring at tara and i loved tara wanting to draw out their time by reviewing her already finished paper. and when they finally kiss... sigh... i hope there's a part two out there somewhere. i hope this was good. i was never good at reviewing.

Post subject: R
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:29 pm 
Hi. I'd like to recommend Mike of the Nancy Tribe's WtVS Pilot Episode: HELLMOUTH HIGH This fic is brilliantly written and very, very funny.

Post subject: Blameburner's "The Guardian"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:55 pm 
Blameburner's "The Guardian" was a great fic. It had alot of nice W/T moments and an interesting plot involving the titled guardian. All the scoobies get something good to do. It's great to see them having fun and interacting in the face of extreme adversity like they used to do on the show. The magic stuff is well done and consistent. This story would make a great ep with some of the sex toned down for TV. The last battle had me on the edge of my seat and everyone got to do something. They deal with Willow's addiction in a way true to the character. The resolution is really in line with who the characters are and still the ending has a great twist that I defy you to guess. All of Blameburner's stuff is great but this is my fav.

Post subject: I would like to recommend...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:07 pm 
... "More than a feeling" by Nathan

It's a sweet AU story : takes place in Sunnydale but there's no Hellmouth, all the characters from Btvs are there (except for Oz, Riley and Giles I think), Tara is best friend with Cordelia and Anya ), her dad and brother are nice people and of course she falls in love with Willow and vice versa (stating the obvious I know

There's minimal angst and quite a lot of (great) smut, so that's the perfect fic to get your mind off depressing thoughts!

Oh, and it has Angel sunbathing, which is one of the many playful hints at the Buffy-verse

In short : a great W/T love story and that's all we need (and want)!

Now the link : viewtopic.php?t=663

Cheers!

Christine

Post subject: Another Recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:12 pm 
I just read The Kali Prophecy by tiredsoul (well, what this is of it so far) and I must say it's very good. I definately recommend this one to y'all...

Spice

Post subject: Re: I would like to recommend...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:07 pm 
Legends of the Kiss by MariaComet

It's one of the best stories I have read on this board. It is extremely well-written, has an intelligent plot, portrays Willow and Tara very accurately and echoes the poetic romance of their relationship.

It's an epic that cleverly deals with the reasons behind Willow's magic use and addiction while also restoring W/T's unconditional and untainted love for each other. It doesn't side-step the issues, no stone is left unturned and the way in which their problems are dealt with is pure genius.

The relationship between Dawn and W/T is also very accurate with Dawn wanting to do whatever she can to help. The fic is gripping, I was always eager for the next part ... lucky you that you get to read it all in one go!!

Trust me,I loved it and you will too!!

Post subject: Re: I would like to recommend...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:22 pm 
Spark to a Flame
by The Rainbow Writers.

This story is basically just smutfic but it absolutely brilliant smut. There are all the essential ingredients a great smutfic needs. Tension, teasing, want, and heaps of passion.

The writing style is very readable and draws readers into Willow and Tara's world. The Rainbow Writer's are always descriptive in their stories and, every step of the way, you know what the characters are feeling. This story is one of the longer one parter smutfics around and doesn't fail to make the reader smile. Willow and Tara truly show how passionate they can be in this story and how much desire they have for one another.

The story starts when Willow hurries into The Magic Box to find her beloved after attending a lecture about sexual behaviour. This, inevitably drives her crazy, and she needs to relieve her frustration. Tara is, fortunately for Willow, in the shop and Willow drags the unsuspecting blonde into the training room to 'discuss' her very own sexual behaviour.

If you enjoy smutty goodness, and I know a lot of you do, then I suggest this piece. I read it quite a while ago and it's one fic I've never forgotten. Always worth rereading too.

Caz

Post subject: taking recs now...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:53 pm 
Hey everyone, for awhile now I've been in the season 7 rewrite groove, courtesy of the Rainbow Writers, and also into Lisa's Milestones series.

On a whim, I went and reread Rane's delightful Camp Flutie 1 and Camp Flutie part 2 and LOOOOOVED it, just like I did the first time.

I love Take-Charge-Tara and Empowered-Willow, but I had forgotten how completely sweet and tender and blushing the two of them were as they were just getting together.

Can anyone recommend some other good fics that chronicle our girls when they were first meeting and falling in love? I'm in the mood for something sweet and romantic and happy.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Post subject: something sweet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:05 pm 
hey italian girl, you might want to check out paper airplanes by jd or miracles by mariacomet. They are both in the completed fic archive.

if you want romantic sweetness, you cannot go wrong with those two. :)

hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:15 pm 
If you’re looking for a feel good, angst free fic which is very funny and also touching then check out blameburner’s Into the Woods.

The premise of the story is that Buffy decides it’s time the Scooby girls do some female bonding so Willow, Tara, Buffy and Anya head into the woods for a camping trip and much hilarity ensues. It’s written with a beautifully light touch and I found myself laughing out loud again and again. Much of the humour is character based, there are some great lines of dialogue and blameburner also sets up extremely funny situations.

The characterisations and dialogue are excellent and the interactions between the girls together and in their various pairings are an absolute delight. I particularly liked seeing the friendships between Willow & Buffy and Tara & Anya explored and of course there are lovely moments with an increasingly frustrated Willow and Tara who are not allowed to share a tent. I also like the way it’s not just about jokes, there are many moments of deeper intimacy since above all this is a fic about friendship and love.

Post subject: On Second thought
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:17 pm 
I'd like to recommend On Second Thought by AntigoneUnbound if you haven't read this fic I don't know why. It's a wonderful story that is incredibly romantic and hot and starts just after New Moon Rising...well an AU version of NMR that has Willow choosing Oz over Tara. But never fear because Willow really loves Tara and the two become closer until Willow realizes that Tara is the only one for her.

Tha characterisations in this fic are wonderful, the NC-17 parts of this fic WILL make you thud if you are that kind of kitten :) And best of all if is chocked full of Willow and Tara goodness.

So don't walk. RUN! To read On Second Thought now

viewtopic.php?t=1010

I apologise for the messy link, I am PC challenged

Post subject: Tempus Fugit
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:43 pm 
Just completed, Tempus Fugit S4 and Tempus Fugit S7 by lipkandy is one of my all-time favorite fan fiction stories. It's got everything, with the Scoobies, including Faith, fighting a new foe in the present of season 7 and Buffy and Willow returning from that present to season 4 for what might be a second chance at life and love. Of course, how they got there might kill them too and for some, that's a sacrifice worth making for a few moments of perfect happiness with those who have departed.

Don't worry. Everything works out in the end, though what happens may not be what you expected. The rich complexity of this reality altering story make is far more satisfying than any other W/T time travel story that I've read.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:40 pm 
Moderator, I was wondering if maybe you could "stick" this thread at the top of Pens, it would be great. But it's cool if you don't. :D

Now, for the recommendations (hope I do a good job):D

-Mission Statement by Bagheera is a must read. It takes place after season six, but it really is great. The writing style is great, very smooth and easy to read. It contains angst, cliffhangers, Love, smut, Miss Kitty and a whole lot of other things. It's a dark story though, but it's worth it. The ending will blow you away. It simply rocks!:D

-Gods Served and Abandoned by Antigone Unbound is another one of my faves. It takes place after the episode "Family" and it mentions some big bads. Basically, Tara's past is shattered when her family's secrets are finally revealed to her. Mary does a great job at writing the pain that the characters are feeling. It's angsty, really angsty, but it has a lot of great moments, some smut which is delightfully written. I just keep reading it over and over. She updates regularly, and that's always a big plus. :D

-W/T Season 3 Y'all by JustSkipIt is yet another one of my faves (I have a whole lotta faves). It's AU, kinda. Willow is sent to Texas in season 3 and she meets Tara. Love blooms between them. It's a sweet story. Minimal angst and great smut. Tara's family is nice in this one, and that changes things a bit. But in a very good way. It's pretty much a fun story that will make your heart melt. Other works by Debra are: Paths Diverged/Divulged (Y'all's sequel) which is pretty angsty at first and just starting and Turned which is also pretty dark. I recommend them all, but if I start about them, I'll never stop. :)

-Nika's Red Ace is a total AU story. It's a Film Noir Style fic where Willow, or Red is a Private Eye. The whole fic rocks. The style of the writing is as always great, the vocabulary is dead on, the story kicks ass. The smut is droolworthy as always and well, just try it, and you'll get hooked!

I hope I did a good job and I think that's enough for now. But I will be back. :D

Post subject: Balance Point by chronic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:44 am 
I am going to recommend a fic called Balance Point by chronic. It takes place post breakup, around the time of Entropy. However, it then takes a complete turn as things don't happen the way they did on the show. This fic has a real tight intricate plot that is very satisfying to read as it unfolds. It also has many original characters , all of them very well thought out and developed. They are as interesting to read as the people we know and love from the show and that's always a good sign for a story.

Anyway, I recommend this story if you are looking for an interesting story that's full of action!

Post subject: Reflections in raindrops
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:30 pm 
I'm a newbie here, but I have already read most of the completed archives. (I'm having a really bad summer, so lots of time to read my eyes out)

I recomend Reflections in Raindrops written by TrueXena and Shadowriter. It was one of the first fics that I read here on pens, and I imediately fell in love with it.
It's a reunion fic, but it departs greatly from cannon.
Willow and Tara find themselves locked in a kind of a maze with Amy with only one way out, and running out of time.
and are brought together as they overcome lots of obstacules, fighting for their lifes in a truly amazing adventure.
An Indiana Jones kind of thing, with lots of great and really endearing W/T moments

If you like romantic adventures, this one certanly deserves to be checked out

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:29 pm 
I have only come across this wonderful site a few weeks ago and couldn´t stop reading....

There are many wonderful stories, but one really touched my heart:

"Passion never dies" and its sequel "Take comfort in Faith" (incomplete) by Magrat70

You make my days worthwhile clap clap

irishlassie 101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:55 pm 
My wish list:

In the finished threads:

Kathyrn and Forristers Xmas Fic 2002 is a must, humor mixed with smut and other goodness...definitely a worthy Xmas gift to the Kittens
The River in Me by Triscuit7: Simply awesome

The Guardian by Blameburner: It took me a while to find this, but its one of the best Ive read

Into the Woods, by Blameburner: I was rereading this today, and laughed my arse off again. S'mores, Becky look at her butt, and a lot of hilarity...this isnt one to be missed.

ANY works by Sassette or Tommo, the best writers Ive seen online Joss should take a leaf out of their books...hell he could take a few out of all the writers here!

Also, Edge of Silence by triscuit...my fave out of the lot...I think it was cos it spawned an obsession with mangoes...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:58 pm 
Few other of my favorites that haven't been mentioned are:

Four Months After by Capt Murdock
Angels and Goddesses by BlueAthame1
Mission Statement by Bagheera
Paper Airplanes by Jdcioffi
W/T Season 3 Y'all by JustSkipIt
Tempus Fugit season 4 and 7 by LipKandy
Hellebore by Artemis
Camp Flutie by Rane

I could go on. Also, I have all of those stories archived on my home computer (for no-internet-access emergencies :) ), so if you have any trouble finding them, although I don't think you should, since I found all of them here, just send me a message and I'll send you a copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:49 am 
Hey Kittens!!!

This is the best thread ever! I'm having fun hunting down and reading all of the great fics that everyone has recommended.

My own personal favourite has to be Bobby- A Spoof, written by snippygal.
It is the funniest thing I have ever read in my entire life, and I think I actually grew a six- pack just from laughing so hard.

It has everything that I always wanted the show to have more of, from bunnies to W/T goodness (in fact, I think that's all they do in this fic), to Dawns kleptomania, to Xanders sweaty forehead and Buffys mental incompetence. Hell, even the feedback and replies had me rolling on the floor. :)
I'm off to read it again.

- Skye