The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Veronica Mars
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:03 pm 
For once I agree with EW, who featured 'Veronica Mars' on their list of 5 shows you should be watching. If you pick up the EW issue with the stars of 'Desperate Housewives' on the cover, it has a handy catch-up guide for those who missed the first 2 eps of this show.

Here's my catch-up guide if you haven't watched so far: Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell, who looks like a younger version of Kathryn Morris from 'Cold Case') is an outcast at her high school in the upmarket and snobby town of Neptune, CA. She used to be a part of the in-crowd, until her best friend Lilly (the daughter of a powerful software developer) was murdered, and her father (then the local sheriff) fingered Lilly's father for the murder. Veronica's father was put under pressure to find someone else responsible for the murder, and lo and behold, a drifter confessed. Veronica's father lost his job, her mother left, and Veronica's boyfriend (Lilly's brother) broke up with her. And then Veronica was drugged and date raped at a party - she still has no idea who was responsible, as the new sheriff (who's a real bastard) refused to investigate.

Eight months after her father was fired, Veronica's dad is a P.I. He's still convinced that Lilly was murdered by her father, and continues to investigate the case in his spare time.

Veronica, meanwhile, has a new part-time job - helping her father with his P.I. work.

UPN's website has a good selection of features, including a guide to the characters (under dossiers), Veronica's diary, and an amusing 'Ask Veronica' feature:

www.upn.com/shows/veronic.../index.php

Why should you watch this show? Well the writing is considerably sharper and smarter than the last UPN show which featured a blonde teenage girl as its lead character. ;)

The main father/daughter relationship is written and played really well. The mixture of humour and more serious drama is done with an expert touch. Plus, nobody has yet called Veronica 'Ronnie', and she's so tough that she'd probably punch anyone who did.

Anyway, 'Veronica Mars' airs on Tuesdays at 9pm on UPN. I find that it bridges the gap between 'Gilmore Girls' and 'SVU' pretty well. Please watch if you get a chance, as the ratings so far haven't been great and the show could do with some word-of-mouth success.

Pro bono, which I think means,'Sucker Who Doesn't Get Paid' in Latin.

- Veronica Mars

Post subject: Re: Veronica Mars
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:05 pm 
Well you have made me curious enough to download it and see it for myself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:12 pm 
Yes, the show is quite good. Although the rating numbers are ominous unfortunately. Too bad they ran a repeat on us last week, but they are running the new ep tonite. Kristin Bell is terrific, and sme of the other characters are strong too. Worth watching G.

"Life's complications and frustrations/they disappear when the music starts playing/I found a place where it feels alright/I hear a record and it opened my eyes/do you remember what the music meant?" - Speakers Push Air, Pretty Girls Make Graves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:21 am 
I just watched the pilot and I am not quite sure whether or not this is a show I like. I did not dislike it, but there was a tad too much misery and nasty people stuck into one episode for my liking. I definitely like Veronica though. I´ll download the next few episodes and see which way the scale will swing for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:48 pm 
I thought last night's ep was good. We got to see why Veronica's ex is something of a bastard - wow, that is one screwy family. Interesting, too, that he was less of asshole when he came off the anti-depressants. I actually felt sorry for the character, even though I don't like him. I also have a feeling Veronica's dad was right in fingering Jake Kane for Lilly's murder.

Veronica has a Taser in her car - she's definitely one tough cookie. I hope she uses it on Logan soon (preferably on an intimate part of his anatomy), because he's an even bigger dickhead than her ex.

No Weevil (bike gang leader) last night, which is a shame because I kind of like him.

And Veronica went for the nice guy at the end. Good on her.

Anyway, Zap2It have some casting spoilers. Here's the link:

tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial...1|,00.html

- Veronica Mars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:53 pm 
I caught my first episode of this show this week, and I really liked it. They surprised me with a couple of plot twists, and I'm always impressed when a show can do that. I'm definitely interested in seeing more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:56 pm 
I'm liking this show. It's fun to watch. They actually surprised me with the twist in the last episode, and I can't really remember the last time a show surprised me in a good way.

Most of the acting is pretty good and the writing has made me laugh out loud at least twice.

The lead actress is darn adorable, too. That never hurts.

________
Bender: Y'know, I was God once.
God: Yes I saw. You were doing well until everyone died.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:17 pm 
Glad more poeple are enjoying this. I think we were all surprised at the same plot twist involving the client's parent. I had to go back and watch the scene again because it was so unlikely a thing to see on network televison (well, UPN, if that counts.). I also thought they handled the scenes with the ex very well, to the point when he was juggling the anti-depressant med in his hand at the end I sympathised with his decision to take them again. If I was seeing visions like that I might take them too. I missed the gang leader character too, but overall it was a fine ep.

"Life's complications and frustrations/they disappear when the music starts playing/I found a place where it feels alright/I hear a record and it opened my eyes/do you remember what the music meant?" - Speakers Push Air, Pretty Girls Make Graves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:44 am 
Man-this show never fails to surprise. For about three eps they suckered me into believeing Troy was at the very least a nice guy. But in the last five minutes of one ep they reveal him to be a total jerk. My jaw hit the floor when Troy went back to that Border's place and got that bag of "steroids". But of course, Veronica figured it out in the end. The show definitely continues to impress and surprise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:48 pm 
I love this show, too, thus far. Veronica is spunky. I knew Troy was a git from the word "go"...look who he hangs out with? Logan, the ex-bf and their crew; it was a no brainer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:09 pm 
Well, I didn't figure out that he was a badguy until the end either, although I probably should have got it earlier. Since Veronica seems to have real smarts, I figured she wouldn't fall for a rotten apple. I kind of like that she did though, it proves she's still a kid, although obviously a formidable one. (And still damn cute too.) Enjoyed all of this ep , glad to see Weevil again, and the only thing that slightly confused me was the surveillance photos in the safety deposit box.

Edited to correct a couple of typos and to add that I also really enjoyed Ronnie's visit to the gamers the week before, thought her disguise may even have been a salute to Alias.

Edited by: seurat at: 10/28/04 4:59 pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:35 pm 
I thought last week's ep 'The Wrath of Con' (about the hackers) was probably the weakest so far, which is why I didn't post about it. But this week's was probably the best so far - chalk me up as not surprised that Troy turned out to be a dick. Looks like Wallace, Veronica's dad (and occasionally Weevil) are the only trustworthy men on the show. Talking of which, I really like Wallace and I missed his presence this week. In the hacker ep, he turned out to be pretty good at the undercover stuff, so Veronica should ask him for help more often.

Oh, I loved the fact they gave Veronica an excuse to say 'Dude, where's your car?'. The ending was done really well, too. Veronica's mother is certainly a mysterious lady.

- Veronica Mars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:54 pm 
The Wrath of Con - The PI plot was pretty lame and boring but I did get a kick out of seeing Veronica go to the gamer place. Hilarious. I really loved all the flashback scenes. Got to see how they were all good friends. And Lilly looked like she was a ton of fun to hang around with. Also liked Logan, for a change, and he did a great job with the memorial video.

You Think You Know Somebody - This episode was more evenly balanced than last week. Veronica is so cool, heh. I figured Troy was a scumbag, but, eww. I'm really glad Veronica figured out his plot by the end.

I continue to love this show.

________

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:41 pm 
Not one of the best ep's last night, but some interesting moments for sure. i'm impressed with the depth they are giving the Duncan character, and even though I still despise Logan, the scene at the end of him carefully choosing the belt was chilling. Glad to see Veronica and her Dad might start working together on the murder. And Kristin Bell is fast becoming one of my fave actresses.The show has recieved an order for four more scripts btw, which is at least a sign that they are keeping their options open rather than just cancelling the show.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:39 am 
Yahoo!News reports that Veronica Mars has been picked up for the full season. :bounce :bounce :bounce

"The stories we tell - that's us explaining how we think the world works. Once we speak it, once we say it aloud, that makes it real for us - and real for everyone else who hears it too. When we tell a story, we invite people to visit our reality. We invite them to move in. Our stories are the reality we live in." - David Gerrold, The Martian Child

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:09 pm 
Last night's ep was good but a bit predictable - as soon as it was revealed that the missing girl had been raped, my husband and I looked at each other and concluded that it must have been her stepfather.

The plot thickens with regards to Veronica's mother, though I doubt that Jake Kane is really Veronica's dad. Apart from anything else, that would've made her relationship with Duncan really icky...

More confirmation on the show being picked up for a full season:

tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial...1|,00.html

- Veronica Mars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:52 pm 
You know, it never even crossed my mind that Jake might be Veronica's dad. Shudder. I just thought that the relationship muddied the water even more as to what her mom knows about the family and Lilly's murder. I really enjoy the way they keep bringing Lilly into the story, she pretty much owns every scene she's in doesn't she? I enjoyed the detention scenes altho they were fairly predictable too. More of Weevil is always good, and Logan's reaction to the Lilly tattoo was interesting. I didn't figure out it was the step-dad who was the rapist until later on. Either I'm slow at figuring things out or I'm concentrating too much of my attention on Kristin Bell.:)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:02 pm 
Like a Virgin - Damn, man, Kristen Bell is one of those people who has chemistry with just about anyone that crosses her path.

The show hasn't failed to amuse me, yet. Nice.

I wonder what anyone could have over that Abel Koontz guy to make him face the death penalty and not even try to save his own life. He sure does a good crazy, sheesh. Interesting how he knew about Jake Kane and Veronica's mom. Poor Veronica.

So happy about the full season order.

________

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:06 am 
"You get tough, then get even." LOL-I love Veronica Mars. Honestly, if she wasn't working for the "good guys" she could be a mob boss. Loved it when she wagged her finger at the guy who said' "All fours." Just knew something not so nice was going to happen to him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:18 pm 
You know, as I was watching the show last night I was thinking how I was really starting to love it too. But once burned...so I'm trying to hold back a little. So many things about this ep that I loved, two wonderful new female characters, Meg (?) and Mac, both of them deserving of more screen time in future ep's. I loved the subplot with the renter, and the fact that Veronica's dad didn't even bother going into all that he knew about him, the criminal record, the obvious injury scam and all. Just bam, you're leaving. The prison scene was chilling, and even though I don't seriously think it will turn out that her birth father is anyone else, you had to know that the possibilty was going to be raised. I'm already looking forward to next week, to see what's next.

Edited by: seurat at: 11/24/04 1:25 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:43 pm 
Yes, I am enjoying this show so far, and hope they will atleast keep it for the rest of the season. I want to know who killed Lily.

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.

Tara: Willow, I got so lost.

Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:28 am 
The show has been renewed through at least one full season, and creator Rob Thomas has said they will reveal Lilly's killer before the year is up. They don't want this to be another Twin Peaks, where they kept you guessing on Laura Palmer so long by the time you found out, no one cared.

Ben

"One voice is easily ignored or silenced, but when other people add their voices to yours, you become a chorus not easily ignored."--Wil "Just A Geek" Wheaton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:36 am 
Anyone know where I can download the eps? Since my wife has taken over TIVO, I can't seem to be able to get to see the eps anymore

:wtf

Time flies by when the Devil drives.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:08 pm 
Goddammit, fucking ezboard ate my post. Again:

I use bittorrent to download episodes, if you go here: www.tvtorrents.net:7070/ and type in Veronica in the search box, you get them all.

I had stopped watching after episode 3, but I downloaded them all and watched them yesterday and today. I do like this show. Veronica kicks ass and the other characters are interesting and likebale as well. Even the assholes who are not always assholes, like Logan.

I don´t believe Kane is really her sperm donor, unless Duncan is not his son. If he is, then why wouldn´t her mother and Jake Kane have done everything to break those two up. All the hints that had been dropped left and right did not make that freak´s revelation a big surprise, I am curious to see how this plays out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:57 am 
There is an old joke, a son comes to his father and tells him about this wonderful girl he just met. He tells his father that he wants to marry her. His father says no, no my son, though your mother does not know, that girl is your sister.

The son does this several times with other girls and his father has the same reply.

Finally the son in his frustration goes to his mother and tells her what his father said. She says marry the girl for though your father does not know,this girl is not your sister.

Edited by: werewolf123 at: 12/1/04 11:39 pm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:05 pm 
There's a nice one-page article on VM in the new Entertainment Weekly (Ocean's 12 on the cover), with a couple of sweet pictures of Kristen Bell.

The thrust of the article is basically Bell's hot, critics love the show, so why the hell aren't people watching?

Ben

"One voice is easily ignored or silenced, but when other people add their voices to yours, you become a chorus not easily ignored."--Wil "Just A Geek" Wheaton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:46 pm 
Veronica is one tough cookie. She can keep up with all of the jerky guys on the show.

She is not afraid to jump head first(sometimes foolishly) into dangerous situations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:20 pm 
I'm not going to give away too much because I am on the East Coast, but it is good to see Mac again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:05 am 
I have a crappy memory, who is Mac? Nevermind, I´m off to download it. Very glad the holiday hiatus is over.

Edit: Well now I remember Mac. I am very glad she is back too, I hope she becomes a regular. She reminds me of Willow. This was a great episode, a good mix of suspense and humour. Veronica giving her fellow students the dirt on their parents cracked me up.

I really felt for Mac´s biological mom. They may have invested their million more wisely, but she got stuck with a total nasty airhead of a daughter. Mac´s ´adoptive´ parents seemed like very nice people as well, which makes Madison seem all the more like a freak of nature. It can´t be just the genes that made her turn out shallow and one dimensional. Judging by that library and Mac´s biological mom and sister, it can´t be the way she was raised either. Must be the money then, her airheaded selfish gene must have gotten triggered by that million. Maybe she would have turned out better if she had been raised by her biological parent who lost their money. I wonder if they will follow up on this story. I hope so, I like Mac.

Edited by: DrG at: 1/5/05 5:38 am

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:48 am 
I have to admit that I was made a little uncomfortable by this episode, because it very much recalled the premise of "Puddin' Head Wilson". For those Kittens who are not fans of Mark Twain, the message of this famous novella about baby-switching was "One cannot escape one's genetics". This was already a controversial idea even in Twain's lifetime (it is one of his late stories, written in the period 1890-1910), when the "Nature vs. Nurture" question was just starting to heat up.

As far as the story-line of the series is concerned, this clearly brings up some interesting issues: it has now been firmly established that "baby-switching" has occurred in the town of Neptune. This means that it is no longer so far-fetched that Veronica herself might have been "switched". She stated at the end that she opted for "blissfull ignorance", but who knows what she will uncover as the series progresses! :paranoid

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next