The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:26 pm 
We have a thread for Star Trek, so I was hoping we could have a thread for Doctor Who as well. :shy

Just today I realised that BBC Online has released a new version of "Shada," the Douglas Adams story for the fourth Doctor and second Romana (aka Tom Baker and Lalla Ward) that was half-finished and then had to be scrapped because of a strike at the BBC. The new version is an online audio/animation drama (similar to Amber Benson's Ghosts of Albion). Lalla Ward returns to play Romana, while Paul McGann plays the eighth (and current) Doctor. I've only caught the first part of the first installment so far - it looks like they've revised the Douglas Adams script while still paying tribute to both the original version and the way footage from it was used in "The Five Doctors." I'll have to catch the rest.

Meanwhile, Big Finish Productions has just announced a new four-episode "Season 29" of audio adventures on CD, again featureing Paul McGann as the eighth Doctor. That will follow the big 40th Anniversary adventure "Zagreus," which is due out in November.

Did anyone catch the three-part "Excelis" story, where Anthony Stewart Head played the villain against the fifth, sixth and seventh Doctors? I managed to download the seventh Doctor adventure off the USEnet, but I wasn't impressed with it. : Any other opinions?

"The first task of anyone, lest you get canceled, is to entertain people, because they ain't there for message." - Dick Wolf

Post subject: re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:56 pm 
How exciting!

Once upon a time I was quite the Whovian (right - I was a kid) - still have some of my um...*cough* memorabilia. I've not heard any of these new adventures (the US stopped broadcasting the show years ago), but I've fond fond memories of growing up watching the good doctor. I do miss him. Could use more like him out there these days.

I had the great pleasure of meeting four of the doctors in the flesh - including Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison and Colin Baker - all of whom were charming, witty and down to earth gents. I might exaggerate a bit on Pertwee - he was certainly larger than life! Their autographs hold a special spot in my collection. Am I a nerd or what? :sh

I'm curious as to whether the current batch of adventures are as strong as the original. I've not seen Paul McGann's version at all and only caught a bit of Sylvester McCoy. It's good to hear the BBC is keeping the spirit alive in whatever form. :smash

Thanks for reminder - and I'll try to check out the online adventures! I'm all with the nostalgia now...:banana

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:28 pm 
Quote:
I might exaggerate a bit on Pertwee - he was certainly larger than life!

He was the only Doctor I've met in person, and yes he certainly was larger than life. I liked his story about being on the H.M.S. Hood during World War II, and the Captain sending him and the other young officers off the ship before they went into battle against the Bismark. For those of you who haven't heard the story of the Hood, only three of the crewmen who remained on the ship for the battle survived it. :shock

Paul McGann has actually only been seen as the Doctor once, in the 1996 FOX TV movie. But he's been heard quite a bit in the audio adventures, and personally I think he's done an excellent job.

My only gripe about the new adventures is that the whole concept of "series canon" has gone out the window. The BBC Book series has gone in one direction, the Big Finish audios have gone in another and the BBC Online audio/animation dramas have gone in at least one more. I liked the book series for a while, but lost interest after they wrote out the Doctor's companion Samantha Jones (who I had show up in Sunnydale along with Sarah Jane Smith in my fic, "The Sisters of Paradox"). I've liked many of the audio adventures that I've heard. The last one of "Season 28" ended on a killer cliffhanger that I'm assuming will be resolved in the 40th anniversary show, "Zagreus."

"The first task of anyone, lest you get canceled, is to entertain people, because they ain't there for message." - Dick Wolf

Edited by: BBOvenGuy  at: 6/6/03 9:32 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:13 pm 
Where can I even start about Doctor Who?

My gods. I was whovian long before I considered myself a trekker.

I have this personal theory that everything ever done on televised Sci-Fi was done better, and a lot of the times first, on Dr. Who.

Arrogant theory, but I can hold it up with plenty of evidence.

Favorite stories: Anything with a horror theme. In fact a lot of the RPG work I do now has a direct link to some Dr. Who episode. My first version of the Daughters of the Flame are from the "Sisterhood of the Sacred Flame" in the episode "The Brain of Morbius". The Tom Baker years were great for this, but so were some of the McCoy episodes.

Favorite Doctor: Wow that is a hard one, they all had their charm. Tom Baker was my first, but Sylvester McCoy was allways fascinating. I also liked Colin Baker.

Favorite Companion: Had a big deal crush on Sarah Jane, but I loved Leela. Finally! A companion that did run in terror or scream. Hell Leela was more likely to kill someone than run from them. I also liked Ace for many of the same reasons. BTW. Ace was saying "wicked" when Faith was still riding her tricycle. But I also loved Romana II (Lala Ward).

Favorite Villians: The Master and the Cybermen. Though I do credit Trek for fufilling the potential of the Cybermen in the Borg. And the Doctor Who "Master" was far more evil and dangerous than some other "Masters" I could mention.

I thought "Trial of a Time Lord" was great season long arc, something that Doctor Who pioneered mind you with 1965's "The Dalek Master Plan" and the very famous Tom Baker "Key to Time" durning the 78-79 season.

I even thought that the Doctor battled vampires well in "The State of Decay" and again in "The Curse of Fenric", which also happens to be one of my all time favorite episodes. And even handled the death of a character (Adric) very well in "Earthshock".

Despite the low budget, some slipping of the continutity and some real stinkers ("The Happiness Patrol" anyone?) Doctor Who has stood the test of time. No pun intended.

Some shows talk about long runs, Doctor who was on TV for 26 years and is coming up on it's 40 anniversary. No other Sci-Fi show can remotely claim that.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,
home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks

"There has to be an invisible sun. It gives its heat to everyone.

There has to be an invisible sun. That gives us hope when the whole day's done."
- The Police Invisible Sun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:07 pm 
40 years??? Golly wow. I really wish I could have seen McCoy as the doctor - what little I got of him I liked, but it was just...too little! It was awfully disappointing when they fired Colin Baker - having met him in person, I can say he was an amazingly lovely person and so very generous - if you wanted a hug or a kiss he was happy to oblige! :D

I was a teen during the Davison years, so I remember his stuff the best, but I started out on Pertwee and Tom. TB was simply outrageous and I too had a bit of a crush on Sarah Jane. Too smart, too funny and she was brilliant foil for both those men. I liked Tegan as well - she was kind of an Australian Sarah Jane, wasn't she? A bit crankier, maybe. And those lovely pins, darling. Mrrowr. Oh, and I rather fancied the first Romana (Mary Tamm) - or Fred, as I'm sure she would have preferred to be called. Remember her entire name? :hmm

While I'm not a sci-fi fan per se, what really hooked me about Doctor Who was constant re-invention of the genre - literally by casting new actors in the lead role every three or so years and never playing down to anyone's expectations. Remember the Celestial Toymaker? Or The Talons of Weng Chang (did I get that right?)? The combination of British wit and humor with a uncanny fantastical sensibility - just good storytelling - made it so compelling. You could do anything with it - take them anywhere in space or time and even rewrite history (The Visitation anyone?). What could be more fun than that? :glasses

Which reminds me - I always wanted my own TARDIS...big points if you remember what that stands for, hee hee. And I'm sorry, but I never really liked K-9. He might have made a good ashtray or something.

Favorite episode? I'd have to go by Doctor: Hartnell: The Celestial Toymaker - creepy!; Troughton: The Enemy of the World - PT in multiple roles!; Pertwee: The Sea Devils- what can I say? The Master!; Tom Baker: The Pyramids of Mars/Talons of Weng Chiang/The Leisure Hive (actually, pretty much all of Bakers were brilliant); Davison: Kinda/The Caves of Androzani (but I thought Earthshock was good); Colin Baker: Trial of a Timelord and The Two Doctors (for fun).

Now the simple fact that I remember these things should scare anyone. :geek I haven't seen this show in....a really long time. I must be insane. I think I'll go knit a really long, loopy scarf and have a few jelly babies...or, celery or something...

:wave

http://www.geocities.com/dijeratti/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:57 am 
TARDIS stood for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.

The Daleks were my favourite villains. A couple of weeks ago UK Gold had a special Dalek day. I was in heaven :party

I understand, you should be with the person you l-love

I am

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:35 am 
I'm kinda wishing right now that they'd show this on NZ tv again. It hasn't been on for about 10 years now - for a year or two, we got an hour or 2 of Doctor Who every sunday morning - which was great, they played right from the original episodes through to the newest.

But, still, the Doctors of my childhood have to be my favourite. I grew up watching Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee & Peter Davison, while the Daleks have to be my favourite villan.

I'm also famous in my family for being the 4 year old who would sit scared and crying in front of the TV while watching Dr Who (I think it was the cybermen that creeped me out) - and refusing to be moved or to let the TV be turned off!!

subtle salvation in poems we know, hiding our heads in a shadow of home,
now i wasn't looking for wreaths or for bells,
just someone to listen to stories i tell
."

stories I tell - Toad the Wet Sprocket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:17 pm 
The Big Finish audio dramas have been Colin Baker's opportunity for redemption. I feel like he seldom got a decent script when he was on TV, but the audios have let him show everyone just what he could do.

I could never really get into Peter Davison's Doctor, but I liked both Bakers and Sylvester McCoy. Jon Pertwee could be fun, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:12 am 
Letter sent to AICN

Quote:
British newspaper the Sunday Express reported that a certain Mr Shane Richie (actor, presenter, comedian, cockney, Man Utd supporter?!) is in talks with the BBC to play Dr Who! I take it that Paul McGann is out of the picture then.

Shane has been a TV presenter for years - think Wheel of Fortune, the Price is Right etc - and not particularly highly thought of. However, in the last few months, he has joined the cast of our most popular soap Eastenders, and showed personality and actual acting ability. He is fast becoming a national institution over here, you can't help but love his funny & charming character Alfie.

I had heard a while ago that he was throwing his hat into the ring for Dr Who, and his new found celebrity maybe just the thing to resurrect the series.

Heres hoping!

A year ago I would never have believed that I would be rooting for Shane Richie to be Dr Who.

The only quote is from one of Shane's colleagues -

"Shane is so pleased. He's always loved Dr Who and watched it as a youngster."

I like Shane Ritchie, but not sure if I can seen hima as Doctor Who

Feena

-x-

---------------------------------------

How's he gonna read that magazine rolled up like that?

~ Famous last words of an insect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:46 am 
From BBC Cult:

Quote:
BBCi's Ninth Doctor

11 July 2003

Doctor Who is back. This time he's fully animated, he's got a new body... and he's on BBCi.

Richard E. Grant will play the ninth incarnation of the Time Lord. He described his interpretation as something of a "Sherlock Holmes in Space," and said he immensely enjoyed recording the story.

The animated adventure, featuring a star-studded cast, is scripted by Paul Cornell - regarded as one of the finest of the new breed of Doctor Who authors. Paul is also an established TV writer, working on such series as BBC1's Casualty.

"I'm honoured to have the chance to set the Doctor off on another forty years of adventures," said Paul. "Just wait until you hear Richard! He is the Doctor!"

The story is set to debut in mid-November, in time for Doctor Who's 40th anniversary.

---------

"I want to be Byron... because I want to date young boys." Amber Benson

Edited by: kajo 2000 at: 7/14/03 12:48 am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:47 pm 
Thanks Kajo!

Richard E. Grant was also one of the actors who played the Doctor in The Curse of the Fatal Death, a spoof done a few years ago for "Red Nose Day" on the BBC, whatever that is. He was only there for a minute or two, though, as the Doctor went through several regenerations in the last five minutes, ending up being played by one of the actresses from Absolutely Fabulous. Rowan Atkinson played the Doctor for most of the story - and actually, he was pretty good at it.

But now we have yet another fragmentation of the series canon. Paul McGann has already recorded several new Big Finish audios as the Eighth Doctor, and BBC Books has its own Eighth Doctor series that goes in a completely different direction. BBCi previously destroyed the Doctor's entire line in another online drama, Death Comes to Time, which starred Sylvester McCoy as the seventh Doctor and Sophie Aldred as Ace. Now we have a ninth Doctor? Is this a one-off, or will there be others?

At least they've got a very good writer for the job. Paul Cornell has been associated with Doctor Who for at least a decade now. Among other things, he created the companion character Bernice Summerfield, who has since been spun off into her own series.

Edited by: BBOvenGuy  at: 7/14/03 12:49 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:51 pm 
BBOvenGuy: I expect it to be similar to Ghosts of Albion, in that BBCi will wait to see how well the animated Doctor Who story is received before making a decision on whether or not to commission further stories.

To answer your other query, "Red Nose Day" is what we call the day on which Comic Relief takes place (usually every couple of years). Comedians and other celebrities raise money for UK and African charities, especially those benefitting children. It is a telethon type of event and people 'phone in to the BBC to pledge money while the celebrities do silly things like perform comedy sketches written especially for the occasion, often parodies of famous films or TV shows.

It is called "Red Nose Day" because the symbol of Comic Relief is a red clown nose. You can buy small plastic noses to wear for the event or larger ones to attach to the front of your car. All the proceeds from the sale of these items go to charity and the design is always slightly different for each "Red Nose Day" to encourage people to buy the latest version.

I don't know if the Doctor Who sketch for Comic Relief would be considered as an "official" Doctor Who story as it was really just a satire on the show, especially The Doctor's ability to regenerate himself. But I'm sure that's where BBCi got the idea of casting Richard E. Grant as The Doctor in their online story.

Edited to add: article at BBC Cult:

Quote:
New Doctor Who TV series

26 September 2003

Doctor Who is coming back to BBC One in 2005. It will be a new live-action series, written by Russell T Davies.

Late last night we received the following surprise official statement from BBC Publicity:

Lorraine Heggessey, Controller of BBC One, has confirmed that all rights issues regarding Doctor Who have been resolved and has green-lit scripts from writer Russell T Davies.

The statement notes that it is far too early in the day to discuss possible storylines, characters, villains or who might play the Doctor. It also states that it is unlikely anything will be on screen for at least two years.

It will be a family show, but no details are available on when it will be scheduled.

Doctor Who will be produced by BBC Wales in conjunction with Mal Young, Controller of BBC Continuing Series. The executive producers will be Mal Young, Russell T. Davies and Julie Gardner, Head of Drama BBC Wales. Russell T. Davies's writing credits include Bob and Rose, Queer as Folk, The Second Coming, Touching Evil (with Paul Abbott) and The Grand.

Mal Young says: "Doctor Who is a much-loved, truly iconic piece of television history. It's time to crank up the TARDIS and find out what lies in store for the Doctor. We're thrilled to have a writer of Russell's calibre to take us on this journey. However, we're at the very early stages of development and further details, including casting, will not be available for some time."

Award-winning writer Russell T. Davies says: "I grew up watching Doctor Who, hiding behind the sofa like so many others. Doctor Who is one of the BBC's most exciting and original characters. He's had a good rest and now it's time to bring him back!

"The new series will be fun, exciting, contemporary and scary. Although I'm only in the early stages of development, I'm aiming to write a full-blooded drama which embraces the Doctor Who heritage, at the same time as introducing the character to a modern audience."

A report in the Telegraph mentions that six episodes have been commissioned, but there is no information on this in the BBC statement.

A BBCi animated series starring Richard E Grant as the Doctor launches to celebrate the show's 40th anniversary. His adventures will keep you entertained while you're waiting for the new TV series to arrive.

We hope to have more news on this story later today.

PS: Please do not email us about this fabulous news. We've told you all we know. We've set up a special "It's coming back!" messageboard. It's a place for speculation, gossip, and lengthy demands for the return of your favourite actor/monster/intricate piece of continuity.

---------

"I want to be Byron... because I want to date young boys." Amber Benson

Edited by: kajo 2000 at: 9/26/03 4:39 am

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:00 am 
EXCELLENT!!!!

Doctor Who is back! I know it is too early to get this excited, but come on this is Doctor Who!

Damn, time to get BBC-America on cable.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,
home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks:
Available October 31st, 2003!

“Well-behaved women rarely make history.” - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich,
Professor Harvard University.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:14 pm 
WOO-HOO!!!!

Finally something on TV to get really excited about again. :bounce :bounce :bounce

The British betting industry has reportedly named actor Alan Davies as the 8/1 favorite for the part of the Doctor, followed by Richard E. Grant (who is playing the 9th Doctor in a BBCi production this November) and Sean Pertwee (son of Jon Pertwee, who played the 3rd Doctor). Other names being bounced around include Paul McGann (the 8th Doctor) and Patrick Stewart. No mention of ASH - at least not yet.

The Doctor Who fan site Outpost Gallifrey is posting updates on the story all day long, if you want to check it out.

Meanwhile, Big Finish Productions has announced the cast list for Zagreus, the three-CD audio adventure celebrating the show's 40th anniversary. Here it is:

Sophie Aldred - Ace, aka Dorothy McShane, 7th Doctor companion

Colin Baker - the 6th Doctor

Lisa Bowerman - Bernice Summerfield, 7th Doctor companion (and star of her own spinoff)

Nicola Bryant - Peri, aka Perpugilliam Brown, 5th and 6th Doctor companion

Nicholas Courtney - Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, the only character who has appeared with all eight Doctors

Peter Davison - the 5th Doctor

India Fisher - Charley, aka Charlotte Pollard, 8th Doctor companion

Louise Jameson - Leela, 4th Doctor companion

Robert Jezek - Frobisher, 6th Doctor companion

Bonnie Langford - Mel, aka Melanie Bush, 6th and 7th Doctor companion

John Leeson - K9, the Doctor's robot dog - various versions given to Leela, Sarah Jane Smith and Romana

Sylvester McCoy - the 7th Doctor

Paul McGann - the 8th Doctor

Caroline Morris - Erimem, 5th Doctor companion

Miles Richardson - Irving Braxiatel, friend and employer of Bernice Summerfield in her spinoff series

Elisabeth Sladen - Sarah Jane Smith, 3rd and 4th Doctor companion (and star of two spinoffs)

Maggie Stables - Evelyn Smythe, 6th Doctor companion

Mark Strickson - Turlough, 5th Doctor companion

Sarah Sutton - Nyssa, 4th and 5th Doctor companion

Lalla Ward - Romana, 4th Doctor companion who became President of Gallifrey

Conrad Westmaas - C'Rizz, the 8th Doctor's newest companion

Anneke Wills - Polly Lopez, 1st and 2nd Doctor companion

Edited by: BBOvenGuy  at: 9/26/03 12:18 pm

Post subject: re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:34 am 
Lucky Brits! *sniff* :happycry

Damn your black heart PBS! :mad

Post subject: Re: re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:56 am 
In the Daily Mail’s gossip column on Sep 30th:

Quote:
Doctor Who writer and de facto producer Russell T Davis is not keen on either Alan Davies or Richard E Grant to play the 21st-century Timelord in his forthcoming return to the box. While the BBC brass would prefer either of two Scots – campy Alan Cumming or austere Ian Richardson – The Queer as Folk writer’s favourite is craggy Bill Nighy, currently appearing under a ton of make-up in the bloodless vampire flick Underworld.

I quite like the idea of Ian Richardson, he’s got a bit of the William Hartnell about him, after so many younger Doctors.

Feena

-x-

---------------------------------------

How's he gonna read that magazine rolled up like that?

~ Famous last words of an insect

Edited by: feena191  at: 10/3/03 7:13 am

Post subject: New Who
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:05 pm 
You know, I love the good Doctor. But after hearing "Its absolutely, definitely, one hundred percent coming back!" a couple of dozen times over the years, I've decided to believe this when I see it.

I take to shade and I play in the shadows
I watch my back and I play it cool
"Blue Pariah" by BRJ

Post subject: Re: New Who
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:05 pm 
Well I suppose it's official. BBC 1 news carried an item tonight about the return of the Doctor, but not until 2005 [presumably that's when they will air]

The item went on to say that who the new Doctor was had yet to be decided on and might not even be a man.

Since a certain blonde has been doing a great deal of work for the BeeB of late, on subject matter the style of which would fit into the vaguely gothic [IMO] overtones of much of the DrWho canon, is in the country at this very moment is it too much of a flight of fancy to see her as the new Dr Who. Someone suggest she auditions, please?

Now would'nt that be nice :wink At the very least, if she did'nt get the job, I'm sure she would just love to write a couple of episodes.

PS I remember seeing the very first episode of Dr Who back in 1963 [I think] and it scared me shitless!

-----------------------------------

love and kisses

Still Waters

..... I want to be Willowhand again, Wah!!

Edited by: Still Waters Run Deep at: 10/5/03 4:06 pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:11 pm 
It seems like every time they're recasting the Doctor, there's a rumor that a woman could get the part. Big Finish has actually done it, casting actress Arabella Weir in the part for the last of their Doctor Who Unbound audio series. And of course there was Joanna Lumley in the parody, The Curse of the Fatal Death. But I don't think we're likely to see a female Doctor as the first incarnation of a new series. If the show survives long enough to do another regeneration, it's a possibility - but I think they'll start with a fairly "traditional" Doctor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:52 pm 
Double-posting to alert everyone that "Scream of the Shalka," the new online adventure starring Richard E. Grant as the Ninth Doctor premiered today at BBCi. The animation is done by the same group that did Ghosts of Albion for Amber and Chris Golden. You can find it here:

www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/shalka/

It's looking like Richard E. Grant is only a "temporary" Ninth Doctor. He doesn't seem to want the part when Doctor Who returns to TV in 2005.

"The stories we tell - that's us explaining how we think the world works. Once we speak it, once we say it aloud, that makes it real for us - and real for everyone else who hears it too. When we tell a story, we invite people to visit our reality. We invite them to move in. Our stories are the reality we live in." - David Gerrold, The Martian Child

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:10 am 
It was pointed out somewhere else, but I mention it here.

The 40th anniversary of Dr. Who is comming up on Nov. 23.

Long live the Doctor. All of him. ;)

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,
home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks. Available Now!

"I don't want to believe. I want to know." - Carl Sagan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:08 pm 
Just to show you how much this show still means to a lot of people, the BBC was able to poll 130 Members of Parliament :shock about their Doctor Who preferences. Their choice to play the new Doctor? Stephen Fry, with Alan Rickman second and Bill Nighy third. That's fairly close to the Radio Times reader poll that also had Alan Rickman second, with Stephen Fry third and Anthony Stewart Head first.

You can find the complete article here:

www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice..._fry.shtml

"The stories we tell - that's us explaining how we think the world works. Once we speak it, once we say it aloud, that makes it real for us - and real for everyone else who hears it too. When we tell a story, we invite people to visit our reality. We invite them to move in. Our stories are the reality we live in." - David Gerrold, The Martian Child

Edited by: BBOvenGuy  at: 11/19/03 4:09 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:33 pm 
Bob, I bet you could get a 130 members of Congress to name their favorite "Star Trek" Episodes.

"Trek" and "Doctor Who" have their immortality assured.

You could ask them about a certain other show and I would bet you anything that less than 5% even knew what you were talking about.

I have been very slow to get back into Whofandom. Mostly because I was so in to it back in high school. It's kinda like seeing an old girlfriend who is still fun to hang around with but you are not sure if you should hop back into bed with right away or if ever again.

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited. I am just not ready to go full tilt yet.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:25 pm 
The latest from Russell T. Davies on the new series is particularly interesting:

Quote:
Russell T Davies says the companion will be different from those in the original series.

"A screaming girly companion is unacceptable now," he told TV Times. "I don't mean in terms of women's rights - dramatically, we've got Buffy the Vampire Slayer now, so a screaming girly companion would be laughed out of the room."

Davies also revealed that the news series wouldn't rely on old monsters to get people behind the sofa.

"I love the Daleks, but I wouldn't load the series with lots of old monsters. We want to make brand new ones," Davies said.

So if the new companion is going to be like Buffy, does that increase the likelihood that ASH will play the Doctor?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:02 pm 
I doubt it Bob. In fact if they want to use a strong female companion then ASH would be the last choice for the Doctor just to avoid the comparisons.

But it is not like they haven't done the strong female companion before. Leela was a warrior, Sarah Jane (though she was a bit of a screamer) was strong willed and got into trouble more often due to her own curiosity rather than being kidnapped (Dodo anyone?), Romana was another Time Lord (Time Lady actually), Ace liked to blow things up and even Teagan had an attitude. Sure for every Teagan there were three Nyssas.

It is the cultural zeitgeist. They could have more properly compared it to Xena or Alias. More people have seen those than Buffy.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:08 pm 
Quote:
Leela was a warrior, Sarah Jane (though she was a bit of a screamer) was strong willed and got into trouble more often due to her own curiosity rather than being kidnapped (Dodo anyone?), Romana was another Time Lord (Time Lady actually), Ace liked to blow things up and even Tegan had an attitude. Sure for every Tegan there were three Nyssas.

Actually, Nyssa didn't do that much screaming, either. No more than Sarah Jane. The last big screamer was Mel - who has gotten something of a rehabilitation in the books and audio dramas.

Speaking of which, the books and audio dramas have introduced several more strong female characters, most notably Bernice Summerfield and Roz Forrester, but also Evelyn Smythe, Erimem and Charley Pollard. I liked Sam Jones, too, although I realize I'm in the minority on that one.

So I'm not really sure what Russell T. Davies has in mind when he says he wants the companion character to be different. As far as I can tell, they already are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:30 pm 
Oh dear gods, Mel.

I'll give you the Nyssa one. Nyssa was also like superhumanly brilliant.

Now I did like Bernice even though I didn't read too many of the "New Adventures" books. Course Ace went from destructive teenager to leathal young woman in the books.

Plus the head of UNIT is now a woman, so yeah I fail to see the point of making the companion different. Different than what? We have had companions who started off trying to kill the Doctor (Victoria, Turlogh), Aliens (Susan, Romana), dangerous women (Leela, Ace), smart women (Liz, Nyssa, Romana, Zoe), eye candy (Jo Grant, Peri), sassy (Teegan, Peri), dumb (Dodo. Sorry, I just don't like Dodo), Young girls (Jo, Dodo, Susan, Zoe), women (Victoria, Romana, Sarah).

So yeah, I don't quite get it either.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

Post subject: re: companions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:25 pm 
This is a curious debate. Being a rarity among fans (a girly scifi freak), I liked a lot of the Drs companions and felt that, except for a few blunders, they were all good choices opposite their doctor. Tom Baker's doctor, for example, was extremely witty and kind of silly - Sarah Jane had a great sense of humor. She was smart and in many ways his equal. There was no obvious sexism there. Leela might have been somewhat exploited with her costume, but I thought Louise Jameson was wonderful in the role. She was funny and graceful and smarrt. She didn't play a stupid savage. Romana often held her own against the doctor (honestly, she'll always be Fred in my heart).

By the time Davison's doctor came around (the rise of John Nathan Turner), everybody got young and kind of sexy. Tegan and Nyssa wore short skirts and while both were smart and spunky, they did a good amount of screaming. But Davison's doctor wasn't the all-powerful Time Lord his previous incarnations had been, either. There was even some subtle (platonic) romance going on with Tegan. She all but bullied him at times and when she left in disgust, he was quite disconsolate. Hence young Peri in a bikini (mrrowr). Both Tegan and Nyssa could be accused of even trying to impress the doctor in some way (their clothes, their ideas), without much success.

I enjoyed the varying relationships he had with his comopanions -whether fatherly, avuncular or partner in crime. That might be my favorite. If they could come up with a companion that would be just as much 'fun' as the doctor is - they'll have it made. I mean, can you imagine Danger Mouse without Penfold? Kirk without Spock, Picard without Data, Buffy without Willow, Xena without Gabrielle? Really now.

It's the fun, the brains and the stories that count. Maybe even in that order. And may I put my vote in for Stephen Fry? If so -why not Emma Thompson for his companion? Or possibly Miriam Margoyles (hee hee). How about Lucy Liu? :laugh

I know. Shut up.

Just so long as there are no Chameleons (he was a companion??), Dodo (total agreement there) or Adric. Yes, I know, he died. RIP Adric.

And I liked Nyssa. She was a cutey. :D

Dijeratti's Lounge

Post subject: Re: re: companions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:46 am 
Quote:
I put my vote in for Stephen Fry?

Hmm an intellectual, Byronesque Doctor...interesting.

And how about an intellectual, statuesque and sassy colonial to go with that.

Amber Benson anyone?

-----------------------------------

love and kisses

Still Waters

"just an old, saggy cloth cat. Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams, but Emily loved him"

Post subject: Re: re: companions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:41 pm 
The audio adventures have given us Evelyn Smythe, who is different from every other companion in one respect - she's older. She's a 60something, in fact. (Yes, I know Romana was 100-some-odd, but Time Ladies don't count.) And they've paired her with Colin Baker, who was the most bombastic of the Doctors. It's an interesting combination. The 6th Doctor/Evelyn stories have been some of the strongest in the series, especially the highly unconventional Dalek story "Jubilee" and the musical episode (yes, you heard right) "Doctor Who and the Pirates."

The only other "breakout star" among the audio characters so far is Charley Pollard, who has been a much more typical young female companion. She goes very well with Paul McGann, though - in some ways she's "Sam Jones done right from the beginning." :)

Edited to add - Speaking of Amber Benson, if you go here and click on the link for the slide show of Amber at the memorabilia store Infinitely Better in Swindon, you'll see in shot #2 that she refers to her scarf as a "Doctor Who" scarf. :grin

Edited by: BBOvenGuy  at: 12/4/03 6:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next