The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: ?ishon/Audition
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:04 pm 
I've seen it. I don't think it's that scary. But it has a cool nightmare scene and a quite disturbing torture scene. And Asami Yamazaki is a great monster.

Post subject: Re: Ôdishon/Audition
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:14 pm 
Thanks, Hyo Shin! If I may ask a few more questions...would you say the torture scene is the kind of disturbing that really sticks with you and haunts you? I guess it would vary from person to person, but did it haunt you? I understand the film isn't so much scary as just disturbing, right?

I'm reading Natsuo Kirino's novel Out now and I guess the dismemberment reminded me of what I know of Ôdishon and made me curious to see it. (Definitely different kinds of stories there, but perhaps with some common elements? I don't really know, as I've only begun the novel. Pretty depressing so far. But also excellent.)

don't make me come up there - satan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:33 am 
It depends. Are you afraid of needles?

Edited by: Hyo Shin at: 4/1/05 4:02 am

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:58 pm 
Hmm, no, not really. But I probably would be if they were going into my eyeballs....

Thanks again, Hyo Shin. I think I'll try to see it. I'm too curious now to just walk away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:06 am 
If you like Asian horror movies, try "A Tale of Two Sisters". I'm slightly biased because it's a Korean movie. But it's still a decent one.

www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/r...p?ID=15083

Edited by: Hyo Shin at: 4/2/05 2:57 am

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:50 pm 
Oooh! Thanks! That movie is definitely going on my list. It sounds great. "It’s all very ambiguous and mysterious as this calm, quiet movie proceeds to creep the living shit out of you." :lol How could I not want to see a movie like that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:18 pm 
BTW, see Audition first. A Tale of Two sisters contains an interesting hommage to the movie.

Edited by: Hyo Shin at: 4/4/05 9:20 am

Post subject: Re: The Television and Movie Recommendation/Discussion Threa
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:47 pm 
I just saw guy [ioerce Time Machine, and tho its special effects are nice, and Samanthat Mumba is reallyu nice ;) it lacked from the orginal. one of the images from the original film that stuck with me till this way is the hypnotic way the morlocks summoned the eloi, the whole jungle savage capture thing dint do it for me

My Country is the World. My Coutrymen Mankind-Thomas Paine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:07 pm 
For those people talking about the asian horror movies, they are alright movies, but if you really want to see some great horror films then watch some of the Italian ones. Dario Argento is probaly one of the greatest horror directors ever and his movies Susperia and Deep Red are to of the greatest ever made. They aren't for the faint of heart though, they really pile on the gore.

"Great music completely obliterates any concept of genre" - Billy Corgan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:16 am 
It's 'Suspiria'!

Dario Argento is good. Not great. Mario Bava is the real master of the Italian horror.

Suspiria isn't the most frightening horror ever made. It's a quite tamed movie to modern viewers. But it would be one of the most beautiful horror movies.

Edited by: Hyo Shin at: 4/17/05 9:02 am

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:40 pm 
Just thought I'd take the opportunity to sing the praises of "Reefer Madness", the wacky musical version of the infamous propaganda film from the '30s. Everybody, but I mean everybody was absolutely first class:applause

First and foremost the adorable Kristen Bell: she is quite a good little singer/dancer (and looks absolutely :thud in her "dominatrix" outfit:devilish ). Alan Cumming was sensational in at least four (4!) different parts. Steven Weber and Ana Gasteyer were terrific, and I must give a special shout-out to John Kassir (the husband of Julie Benz, btw) who used his marvelous "crypt-keeper" manic laugh to very good effect:lol . The young male lead (his last name was Campbell--I had never encountered him before) was excellent, and Neve Campbell was fine in her short appearance.

In short, this was a very enjoyable and entertaining experience, especially if you happen to be familiar with the unintentionally hilarious original film!:laugh

Post subject: Black Mama, White Mama (aka "Big Bird Cage"?)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:08 pm 
or, The Defiant Ones . . . with a catfight! :lol

As I write, I'm watching this blaxploitation, lesbo-ploitation, over-the-top campfest. It stars (though that may be too strong a term) Pam Grier, currently of "The L Word" fame.

It's difficult to describe. Made in 1972, in The Phillippines, it feels sort of like a Kung Fu movie: some bad dubbing in places, the music, multi-culti Bad Guys. There are also at least 3 shoot-outs (not to mention T&A throughout).

But it starts out as a "women in prison" movie: yes, complete w/ predatory lesbians . . . wearing hotpants! (they later dutifully die as The Cliche demands). There's a foodfight in the prison mess, Black Mama resists one of the guard's advances, and then she and White Mama are locked---nekkid---in the prison yard's "oven." (What self-respecting prison or prisoner-of-war movie does not have one of those sun-backed "ovens" or "holes"? :grin )

I'm not exactly sure who the white actress is (the DirecTV guide and one of my old movie books gave alternate names---as it did for the movie itself!). But whoever she is, she and Pam Grier are chained together, Defiant Ones-style, but w/ every cheesy shot imaginable (inc. the aforementioned catfight).

"White mama" is a revolutionary, working w/ a guerrilla group determined to break her out (she's a Patty Hearst-type . . . a couple of years BEFORE Patty Hearst made the news, w/ the same story: rich girl joins the militant underground). "Black mama", Pam Grier, is (surprise!) a hooker . . . but who has made a secret stash of money under the nose of her Phillippino Mr. Big pimp/drug-dealer, and wants to use that money to get away.

Meanwhile, the cops (in various states of corruption) want to talk to *both* "mamas", about their respective dealings (and then there's the guerrillas, and the gangstas: see why 3 shoot-outs? :hmm )

Don't get me wrong: it's a bad movie. But it's also a movie w/ many thought-provoking themes, and scenes, and stereotype after stereotype after stereotype (all of which are designed to be a big ol' wankfest to their target-audience :blush ).

It's quite a trip.

GG And Pam Grier's character survives (which should also tell you about what happens to "white mama" ). I had no real hope that WM and BM would get together (actually, I was kinda shocked that PG's character didn't have some he-man character waiting for her at the end). But, as you can imagine, the director (one guide said Roger Corman, but I'm not sure) wants to give his male audience Just Enough Wink-Wink, Nudge-Nudge to think that the two girls might get it on (the lesbian prison-guard non-monogamous couple is underlined as such, but even THEY do no more than hug :miff ) Out

Oh, I almost forgot, my favorite scene: mamas black and white are being hunted down w/ tracking-dogs in hot pursuit. They come to a small house, and see a fluffy white dog outside. White mama makes nice w/ the dog, pets it, then TAKES OFF HER UNDERWEAR, AND PUTS THEM AROUND THE DOG'S NECK, urging "Run away! Run away!" That's the way to throw off a tracking dog! :lol (By very involved circumstances---w/ no harm to any of the dogs---she later gets her undies back)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:06 am 
5. Willowhand

I don't know where else it may be playing, but if you live in the LA area head on over to the Laemmle Sunset 5 in Hollywood and check out Double Dare.

Double Dare is a wonderful documentary about stuntwomen Jeannie Epper and Zoe Bell. Their "acting doubles" were Lynda Carter in Wonder Woman and Lucy Lawless in Xena, though both have many more credits in movies and television.

Jeannie is 64, was one of the first stuntwomen in Hollywood (men used to do women's stunts) and is still working. She's from a large family of stunt people. As Steven Spielberg says, her family are the "Flying Wallendas" of the stunt world. Watching her with her grandkids is a real kick. You know all those dangerous games your mom and grandma didn't want you to play in case you got hurt? Well, in this family grandma is setting up the ramps and telling the kids how fast to hit them.

Zoe Bell is around 24, and new in the business. As the film begins, her only gig has been Xena, and it's wrapping up. The cameras follow her on her first trip to the US, where she attends a Xena convention. She's all wide-eyed and enthusiastic about everything. She's a real spit-fire (and, did I mention, totally hot!).

The film crew arrange for Zoe to go the Stunt Awards and hook her up with Jeannie. Zoe is immediately adopted into Jeannie's family, and the mentoring begins.

The interactions between Jeannie and Zoe are wonderful. The camera follows them practicing stunts and trying to get work. You are so rooting for them that you are almost as disappointed as they are when they don't get hired, and are over the moon when they do. When Zoe is cast to double Uma Thurman in Kill Bill, we were almost cheering too.

There are also interviews with Lynda Carter, Lucy Lawless, Steven Spielberg and Quentin Tarentino.

We saw Jeannie and Zoe last year at the San Diego Comic Con during the Wonder Woman DVD panel. They showed a clip from Double Dare and I've been dying to see it ever since.

This is a great, feel-good movie. I'm definitely buying the DVD.

Post subject: Julie Johnson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:42 am 
3. Flaming O

Finally.

http://www.planetout.com/popcornq/db/getfilm.html?64270

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:15 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh Lily Taylor, yum, and Courtney Love looking all...normal and nice. Weird.

Mrs. Cartman: Well, I know a little kitty who is sleeping with Mommy tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:00 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Thanks, Hyo. Dammit, I'd have to subscribe to get "Here." Maybe it's time I try to check out the pricing.
Taylor and Love...hmmmmmm :drool

Post subject: My Summer of Love
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:27 pm 
3. Flaming O

http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_fea ... flove.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:57 am 
5. Willowhand

I've seen the trailer for My Summer of Love, and I don't know about that one. That looks like one that could tick me off. I'll have to wait till someone else see it.

I checked out that link to PopcornQ to see Lilly Taylor's film, which does look good. There was also another trailer that really caught my eye. It's a film called Little Man by Nicolle Conn, who did Claire of the Moon. It's a documentary about how she, her partner, and their little girl all cope when the newest member of the family is born 100 days early, weighing in at one pound. It looks very intense, and very good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:13 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
Yeah, the trailer left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think I'll be watching, my summer of love either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:50 pm 
3. Flaming O

xita wrote:
Yeah, the trailer left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think I'll be watching, my summer of love either.

Most of British critics love it.
http://film.guardian.co.uk/Film_Page/0, ... 65,00.html

But I've heard many people disappointed by the ending. I don't you will like it.

Last edited by Hyo shin on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:18 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

I highly recommend the 1962 version of The Miracle Worker, with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke. It's one of the best films ever made, IMO. I guess I'm posting this here now because I heard about 20 minutes ago on the Randi Rhodes radio program on Air America, that Anne Bancroft has passed away of cancer.
Ms. Bancroft was one of the best!
Mr. Brooks, I am so sorry for your loss.
Mods, please feel free to move this post if necessary. I'm too bummed out to find the thread about the deceased folks. :cry

Post subject: An extremely dubious beginning: "The Closer"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I think the "Cliche FAQ" could do a whole new chapter based upon the series premier of TNT's new police drama, The Closer:

* the basic "twist": your classic Homosexual Panic Murder . . . only w/ women, this time :happy

* a woman, merely on the basis of being associated w/ ACT UP, is immediately (and, it turns out, correctly) presumed to be "lesbo" (at least that slur is tagged. But since when are lesbians the only women to care about HIV/AIDS? For that matter: did ACT UP ever kill anyone? Because in this story, they do :happy)

* our lesbian-murderer on the run, is found to be living---having had surgery---as a man. Since when is lesbian and FTM-transgender to be so quickly glossed over as one-and-the-same? (Even in the service of adopting a new identity: I mean, it's not like a woman can't adopt a new identity as another woman!)

* the murderer's murderer (see what I mean about CLICHE???). The above-mentioned "Panic" case: she's so disgusted to find that her male lover (whom she's only been "emotionally, not physically, intimate with") is . . . {gasp! shudder!} a woman, that she bludgeons him/her, again and again and again, and the coup de grace, shoots him/her in the face. Then, she strips off "his" clothing, to change "him" back into "her", to confuse the police. Because, you see, she may be a brutal murderer . . . but don't you EVER call her a lesbian!!! No, sirree: she's a good Catholic girl!

Admittedly, their point on that last one may have been to show the wackiness of the killer: she's a "prolife demonstrator" who murders, see?

In short, on the basis of this premiere, The Closer left me w/ an overwhelming BAD TASTE in my mouth, especially when you consider . . .

. . . the show basics itself:

* Kyra Sedgewick is a very good actor, but her character is also highly dubious. We're supposed to admire her Southern Gal toughness, but 1) it's at the expense of, in particular, the senior black detective over whom she's promoted, 2) it seems she uses that Southern charm sexually: that's right, she sleeps or at least TEASES to get her way. How admirable, eh? Not.

GG Last but not least, she's touted as a "CIA-trained interrogator": hello, Guantanamo? Abu Ghraib? I hold my breath that she'll try the ol' Gitmo stand-by of the "put fake menstrual blood on the interogatee" trick Out

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:38 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Thanks for the heads up for "The Closer," GG. I like Kyra Sedgewick, but :wtf based on what you posted, that ep sounds so vile that I have no desire to see any ep at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:45 am 
3. Flaming O

Few days ago, I saw a Korean horror movie called Voice. it's the fouth installment of 'Whipering Corridors' series. ('Memento Mori' was the second.) Here is a short English review:

http://www.koreanfilm.org/new.html

And here is a picture:

http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/noinside/2696.html

It is not a gorefest. It doesn't have many 'scary scenes'. But I like it anyway. It is a cold, deceptive and rather nasty little flick.

OK, the lesbian aspects. Like other 'Whispering Corridors' movies, it's a disguised lesbian melodrama. But it's not tragic anymore. Just nasty.

The most unfortunate character of the movie is a nice lesbian girl named Hyo-jeong. She is a talented singer but committs suicide after her music teacher rejected her. (typical.) And it's not the worst thing happened to her.

I really feel sorry for Hyo-jeong and other nice girls in the movie. But I still like it. At least it is way better than the clumsy 'Wishing Stairs'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:18 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I don't ever remember seeing this movie discussed on these boards (Mods please forgive me if there is indeed already a place for this post), nor do I have the time (at least not in the next five minutes) to look. I'm talking about a movie called All Over Me. (links to the imdb.com page)

I caught it last night on HBO (well, this morning, technically), and was very moved and impressed. I had never heard of this movie before at all (I do believe it's an indie), and I now find myself looking for a copy to purchase. It's star is Alison Folland, who I had never seen before. She did an amazing job in her role as a young woman in love with her best friend, and awkwardly understanding who she is. It is also the first (at least first listed) appearance of Leisha Hailey (Alice, on "The L Word"). Oh, it also has an excellent soundtrack (my opinion, of course).

It's an interesting, if not a bit slow, film. Very much a character study of the lead. And it's not a sad ending. It's not a Disney ending, but it's definitely not a cliche'd ending either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:12 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
Hello everyone,
I'd like to recommend
Princess Mononoke - awesome animated film (screenplay by Neil Gaiman)
Blade Runner - The Original Theatrical Release (if you can find it)
Neverwhere - written by Neil Gaiman BBC produced...
Officespace - by Mike Judge (You've gotta see this one if you've ever worked in an office enivronment.)
The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane - Great suspense/thriller from the seventies. (Jodie Foster)
Cat People - The 1982 remake
The Cube
The Mosquito Coast - Harrison Ford

Thanks

Sometimes you can choose the path you follow
Sometimes your choices are made for you
And sometimes you have no choice at all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:03 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Heh, well I did *list* the movie, All Over Me, on this thread http://thekittenboard.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2222 (and gave it a certain ranking, in the fashion established there).

I found the film kinda frustrating (if ultimately rewarding): "Pink Hair! Get w/ the chick w/ the Pink Hair, who digs you, Claude You Fool! (and forget the f-ed up chick!)"

GG I even remember saying the same, several years ago, on the K. I think it was a daily thread or something Out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:44 am 
4. Extra Flamey

After the terrible news from London last week we needed some cheering up and decided to watch 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' on Saturday night. What a wonderful feel-good movie! Characters you care about, great music and guys in dresses. You just can't beat it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:51 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

If you like Priscilla, have you seen the documentary on the 3 real Aussie drag queens, on which it's based? I think the documentary is even better.

I can't remember what it's called, but the (defunct) Trio network used to show it quite often (maybe the new LGBT Logo network will show it now?)

GG Of course, seeing Hugo Weaving as a DQ in "Priscilla", pretty much meant I could never see him in LOTR and not crack up! Out

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:56 am 
4. Extra Flamey

No I haven't seen it, but I'll check it out if it turns up on one of the UK channels.

Quote:
Of course, seeing Hugo Weaving as a DQ in "Priscilla", pretty much meant I could never see him in LOTR and not crack up!]

Actually for me it was seeing Borias from Xena playing Celeborn, looking very camp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next