The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: I hated, hated, HATED this movie!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:01 pm 
So I got this book by Roger Ebert last Christmas. It is a collection of reviews of movies he hated. Here is an example of one he really hated, Alien Resurrection, written by you-know-who.

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_rev ... 12601.html

Quote:
Artistically, the film will have no impact at all. It's a nine days' wonder, a geek show designed to win a weekend or two at the box office and then fade from memory. Try this test: It's been five months since "Jurassic Park: The Lost World" opened. How often do you think about it?

So Kittens, what movie do you REALLY hate?

Now keep in mind I love bad movies. I have entire seasons of MST3k committed to memory, but some movies are just inexcusable. And that is what this thread is all about.

Remember, not everyone has the same tastes. Just cause I hated a movie doesn’t mean that it was a bad movie (well…).

The movie I really, really loathe is Saturday Night Fever.

Gods, this movie could not have pissed me off more. Let me quickly recount it’s crimes.

Disco. The Disco era. The 70s in general. The Bee Gees. John Travolta And John Travolta. I mention him twice cause I just can’t stand him. Blow Out I liked. Pulp Fiction was great. And that is it. Yes, I hated Grease too.

Answer me this, was I supposed to feel something other than contempt and disgust for his character? This self absorbed loser that only worries about going out to dance and his hair? Cause if I was, it immediately would have turned to out right loathing after he tries to rape his girlfriend. Then at the end we are supposed to feel sorry for him?

Hey he gets what he deserves in the end. He has to appear in a bad 80’s sequel with a soundtrack featuring Frank Stallone.

If I want to watch a movie about idiots living in New York in the 70’s I’ll watch Warriors. At least that is a fun one to bring up while drinking.

So, what movies do you hate and why? Cuase I have a ton.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,
home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks

"If this is all the gods can do, I'm over to the Darkside so fast." - Tom Servo Mystery Science Theater 3000, Episode 903 "Pumaman".

Post subject: Re: I hated, hated, HATED this movie!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:10 pm 
The movie I've seen that I HATED the most was, "Chasing Amy." :rage That movie pissed me off so bad! Grrr... :angry

Can't think of any other ones right now.

Maybe some of the supposed horror movies from like the 70's that look like they were made with $20. I don't know.

Jen

||My Fan Fiction and More!|| ||My Yahoo Group||
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"In an episode called, THE BODY, Willow and Tara shared a wonderful screen kiss. I was very proud that I got to represent a real deal lesbian relationship in its entirety on film. It was very meaningful to Alyson and me." ~ Amber Benson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:31 pm 
unravels her eighty foot long parchment filled with films she loathes Got a century or two? :glasses

Time flies by when the Devil drives.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:25 pm 
Deadringers (starring Jeremy Irons as twin gynecologists), cuz it made me nauseous for days after. More recently, Quills (w/ Geoffrey Rush as the Marquis de Sade) for the same reason. There are horror movies, and then there are movies that horrify, on a visceral level. My stomach is too weak for the latter.:puke

Well, that's the guts: as far as movies that insult the brain, there are too many to list (lopping) off the top of my head . . .:stink

GG I know I said I was going Kitten silent for awhile, but I'm just having a bad day:paranoid : "Kitten as therapy" Out

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:25 am 
The movie I hated the most was The Perfect Storm. I swear, in my version of Hell I'll be forced to watch it over and over again. Nobody's ever really understood why I hate it. But, see, I'm terrified of the ocean, and, well, all bodies of water. I can barely swim. So I was cringing through the whole thing. And then I'm a vegetarian and the men in the movie were fishermen and...*shudder*. And then the end. I dont know what my dad was thinking, wanting me to watch it with him. "Come on Jenny, lets watch this, you'll like it." Yeah, I was cowering through the whole thing. Bad, baaad movie. *shudders and hugs her teddy bear*

"First she steals my publicity. Then she steals my lawyer, my trial date. And now she steals my goddamn garter!" Velma Kelly

~*~*~*~*~

My Journal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:21 am 
the cook, the theif, his wife, and her lover - it is the only movie I have ever walked out of, and I sat through Cronenberg's 'the brood'.

but I also agree with Roger Ebert that a certain someone's writing destroyed the Ripley saga for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:04 am 
God! i just so hate Charlie Chaplin "The Kid":hmm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:12 am 
Jeepers Creepers

It's the most irritable show on EARTH! no no... not just on earth... in the whole friggin' UNIVERSE! Just.... soooo.... erggggghhhhh.... irritating!

CheerZ

Shinnen

Who cares how tall your lover is ... height doesn't matter in bed

For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:18 am 
I really hated 'Electra Glide in Blue' [so bad that everyone in the cinema walked out!]

The 'Police Academy' series just pissed me off, talk about diminishing returns, I never looked past no.2.

But I really, really did not take to the original Buffy film. I decided it was part of my sacred duty [pre SR] to enjoy this movie. I tried, honest.

-----------------------------------

love and kisses

Still Waters

..... *Happy to be Willowhand....well, would'nt you be?......

Edited by: Still Waters Run Deep at: 4/12/03 2:27:29 am

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:58 am 
Great thread idea.

I hated, hated, hated "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Ninety minutes of insipid, recycled and generic ethnic jokes. And it took place in....Chicago? Which we're supposed to believe is so white that a kid who eats Moussaka is ignored? And the whole concept of the heroine's makeover....if she knew all along what kind of pretty dresses to buy and how to curl her hair, what exactly was stopping her from just doing it?

And the moral of the story: do what your family says, and they will buy you a big house right next door. !!!!

"Just call me the computer whisperer."-- Willow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:33 am 
I'm not a big fan of Laurence Olivier's Henry V. I know I'm supposed to think he's the greatest actor in the known history of the universe, but honestly, I never had much time for Larry. He's all hyperbole and delivers a so-so performance full of rhetoric and bluster. I much preferred (and I can't believe I'm saying this because I can't stand him either) Kenneth Branagh's Henry, to be honest. Larry's movie had such awful accents, and god...talk about ripping The Bard to pieces and then putting him back together again. It might be held up as a seminal piece of cinema history, but I found it dull and embarrassing.

I was being patient, but it took too long. I mean, I miss Buffy, I do. But life shouldn't just stop because she's gone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:39 am 
message in a bottle... I hated that move and you've got mail but message in a bottle we actually cheered when the movie real broke and we didn't get to see the last 15 mins or so... the whole theatre cheered. even though we had only spent 75 cents to get in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:21 am 
Yeah I disliked most of those as well.

My wife and one of her friends goes on and on about how Event Horizon is the worst movie ever. Sorry, I saw it with them, there are far worse. The Man from Snowy River for starters.

Course my wife and I actually did like Dead Ringers. Maybe it is because everyone else hates it! ;) Which I do understand why, btw.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,
home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks

"If this is all the gods can do, I'm over to the Darkside so fast." - Tom Servo Mystery Science Theater 3000, Episode 903 "Pumaman".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:27 am 
My movies are Titanic and Matrix !!!!!!!!!!!! I hate every minute in this movies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:36 am 
It's gotta be Titanic.

But an honourable mention goes to all 'fish-out-of-water' 'comedies' and any movie in which bodily, um.. explusions are considered humourous.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:32 am 
I have to jump in with spluttering geek incredulity :geek and say how could you hate 'The Matrix' Avern?!?! Its one of my favourite films ever.:)

Titanic fine - I enjoyed it once the boat started sinking and Cameron did what he did best and directed action non-stop. The rest of it, apart from Kate Winslets acting, was pretty lame.:happy

I had to watch Freddy Got Fingered at work this weekend and I've had dentistry I enjoyed more. :puke

I also hated, hated, hated the Phantom Menace, way to go George destroy the good name of my favourite childhood movies by declaring this the prequel!:angry

It was utter shite.:(

On the subject of bad sequels Batman and Robin should be reason enough to keep Joel Shumacher away from film-making forever! :spin

Awful film - my eyes aaaaaahhh my eyes! ;)

Strapping Lass

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:05 pm 
i'm not much for hating rather forgetting i even saw the movie (esp. stupid movies) than boiling with anger about it. but two films that i do remember left me reeling were "mullholland drive* and *lost and delirious* such promising love stories only to have your heart ripped out in the end. kinda like buffy season 6.

eta: i read *the wives of bath* after having watched lost and delirious hoping for a happier ending since i'd read they had tinkered with the ending of the book for the film. i was appalled when i read the true ending. trust me, no need to read that load of crap. :mad

"Take care of my heart, won't you please? Take care of it because it's all that I have. And if you let me, I'll take care of your heart too." Pure sweetness in the look between Willow and Tara.

Edited by: Rane018 at: 4/12/03 11:22:12 am

Post subject: me too!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:28 pm 
I finally found someone else who hates Chasing Amy!! It was so....I don't know...I was just offended by it. I felt like it was saying that lesbians only need the right man to come along to make them straight again. That's probably not what they meant, but that's what I got out of it. Plus it was kind of stupid and had a TON of stereotypes and cliches in it!!:mad

Post subject: Re: me too!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:32 pm 
Er... as for Chasing Amy, my guess is that Kevin Smith packed it with steriotypes and Cliches on purpose. It's his humor. You know... Dumb Humor. It's his thing. 'Hate my movie so much you'll just love it'. The wonderfully-disasterous thing.

But one movie I hated, hated HATED is The Man Who Wasn't There. Yes, I understand the guy is passive. Splendid, just facinating. Does it really take two friggin hours to tell me that?

All your base are belong to us.

Edited by: Mrs Vertigo at: 4/12/03 12:33:00 pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:01 pm 
Yep...Chasing Amy is SOOOOOO anoying :rage

No offence to the character but she has a really annoying voice (although i can put up with her in bio-bome)

The English Pataint is boring, i feel asleep on the lady next to me!!!! Plus it confused the hell out of me.

Cone heads - Enough said.

You've got mail and when harry met sally (both as bad as one another)

Theres loads nore that i cant remember at the moment

Iam very fussy (as you might have noticed)

Caz

International rockstar - Gravy maker extraordinaire - Ozzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:15 pm 
I love bad movies. Especially bad horror films from the 70s and early 80s. (Female Plasma Suckers, Gates of Hell, The Toolbox Murders, Satan's Cheerleaders, Motel Hell, etc.)

My two favorite bad movies of all time are Plan 9 from Outer Space and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Hands down.

All that to say that I'm a pretty bad judge of what makes movies bad, because I will tend to like them for their cheesiness. I see film quality as a sort of circle. At the top is a great film, around the circle the quality goes down, until it reaches a point where it's badness actually makes it good.

Quote:
the cook, the theif, his wife, and her lover - it is the only movie I have ever walked out of, and I sat through Cronenberg's 'the brood'.
dekalog, this is the only film I've ever seen that didn't just turn my stomach, but actually made me feel filthy and badly in need of a shower. For days afterward, I felt that way. It was profoundly nauseating, on so many levels.

Movies that don't fall very near the top of my personal film quality circle (as outstandingly good or so-bad-they're-good), I usually just forget them about five minutes after they're over.

Oh, no, wait, I lie. One film comes to mind, mainly because other people seem to worship it so much - Blade Runner. I've seen both versions and it still just bores me to tears. I honestly don't understand the appeal at all.

I had a Boddingtons and now I can see again! - The Beast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:30 pm 
oops...and how could i forget...

I know what you did last friday 13th (i think thats what it was called) it has johnathon from buffy in it, sooo NOT funny

Have to say i adored not another teen movie and the scarey movie take offs, just not that one.

Has anybody seen The Ninth Gate (with jonny depp and a stupid gottee thing)

That was one real bad movie.

Caz

Edited by: hellmouthhottie20 at: 4/12/03 2:31:45 pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:35 pm 
Great thread.

I hated Forrest Gump. What a pile of crap. Stupid, pointless stereotypes, the glorification of idiocy, and Robert Zemeckis digitally messing with historical footage just because he can. Oh, and let's not forget the politically and sexually liberated woman getting punished with AIDS. And it was so damn LONG! Why oh why did it make so much money? Is there no justice in this world?!

(shakes fist angrily at heavens)

"Why did I have to be so veiny?" -- Alyson Hannigan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:41 pm 
Ruby - Totally agree with you.

Run forrest Run!!!!

Thats what people used to shout at me :(

hence hating that movie.

Caz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:47 pm 
maudmac, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!!!!

That movie is so, so bad. A classic. I totally love it!!!

As for the movie that I hate...

Pete's Dragon, because it gave me terrible nightmares when I was about four. I have successfully avoided it since then and now have no idea what it was about. But I sure won't try to find out. :p

"MURDERERS! Remember Orca!!! Free Willy!!!" Yun-kyung bellowed. "The shark in Jaws was just misunderstood!" - Castaway
I've kissed her best friend. I've reached into her best friend's pocket and fished around for keys. And I gave her best friend my number. I must be doing something totally, totally wrong... - TBSOL by Dreams

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:56 pm 
Count me in for an intense hatred for Chasing Amy.

Kevin Smith's brother is apparently gay and he supposedly is obsessed with the whole gay thing. Maybe, instead of his masturbatory lesbian fantasy, he should take his obsession and make a stupid movie where the gay male turns straight. You see, the fag only called himself "gay" b/c he wanted to be "open" about whom he would love. I bet his brother wouldn't feel insulted at all. Because we gay people, we're attracted to both genders, and really, if the right opposite gender person came along, we'd go for that.

I felt like bitch-slapping KS after this movie. Then making him spell the word -- bisexual -- on the blackboard 500 million times. Asshole.

Oh yeah, I also HATED Boat Trip and don't really like anything by Polanski but Rosemary's Baby or The Pianist.

Edited by: famer at: 4/12/03 2:58:22 pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:58 pm 
:lol , Diebrock. You know what gave me nightmares? Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I've seen it again since I've gotten older and I still don't understand why it's so popular. Willy Wonka is mean.

I had a Boddingtons and now I can see again! - The Beast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:12 pm 
Also a vote for Chasing Amy - and any Kevin Smith film actually! I was lucky enough to go to the San Diego Comic Con in 2000 (and saw Amber, Emma and Tony too :D :D )

Kevin Smith was one of the speakers, and as a big name director, I thought it might be interesting to hear about the film making process or something. Well, the guy muttered and only talked in in-jokes for the first 30 minutes. The sycophantic crowd didn't help, but basically it was just a love in session. I went off to see Chris Carter talk instead! (Much better!!)

I heard that Kevin Smith had a crush on the lesbian actress/writer Guinivere Turner and apparently was chasing after her at some film festival. Hence his fantasy of lesbians only needing the right guy.

Can I also put in a word for Evita.. HATED, HATED that movie!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:05 pm 
I was dismayed by John Travolta's movie career the first time around,I walked out of Electra Glide in blue when it played in theatres ,and I sat through Olivier's Henry V telling myself,"It's supposed to be a classic dammitt!" I only saw the first Star Wars and hated it, as well as the Back to the Future movies. I could keep going for days so I'll stop now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:12 pm 
When I think of the worse movie I immdediatly think of Wicked. It was a smaller film starring Julia Stiles. It was absolutely horrid. The plot was somehting about Julie Stiles mother being murdered and who did it, It would be completely predictable except for the random pervertedness. I won't ruin the plot for anyone who actually wishes to see it but i thought it bit the big one.

I also hated The Matrix, Titanic and Pearl Harbor. The Matrix just confused me. Titanic and Pearl Harbor had great special effects and were wonderfully done and directed. However, the love stories and teen idol actors made them generally stupid.

~Erica

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next