The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Letter from a Thief
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 3
This is an assignment that I wrote for my short story writing class and I eventually will turn it into a fic here on the board. Just wanted to give you guys a peek to see what you think :)

Letter from a Thief

Dear Odessa,
When I sat down to write this letter to you, I had so many intentions... so many things that I wanted to say and explain. Now that I am sitting here writing this, I seem to be at a loss for words as to what to say or how to explain something that happened so long ago. Perhaps, I should start by introducing myself. My name is Tara and six years ago today, I stole your purse in Dixon's grocery store.
I have resolved myself to the fact that even though this happened years ago, it was a horrible thing to do, and I promised myself that I would remember and I would pay you back. However inexcusable my action was, I need you to know that you saved my life, even if you weren't a willing participant. I think that you will better understand if I start from the beginning.

My mother was a wonderful woman. From my very first memories until the day that she passed away, I felt nothing but unconditional love and acceptance from her. My father on the other hand was a completely different story. While you do not need a detailed account of the things that I went through thanks to that man, I will say that my mother was the only thing that stood between me and the brunt of his anger. You see, I was supposed to be a boy, and when I was born, just the very fact that I was a girl made my father hate me. The day that my mother died, five years and one week to this day, my life changed forever. I withstood his wrath, the name calling, and the physical abuse for six months before I finally ran away from home.

I was lucky enough to escape with a few of my mother's belonging and my life. For the first three weeks, I ran as far from my father as I could, and I ended up in Los Angeles. Living on the streets was not at all like I expected it to be. I was lucky in that I found a group of wayward teens like myself who protected each other. For the first few months, I did my best to not steal from people to feed myself. Instead, I would hang out in alleys in the back of restaurants. Over time, the people who took out the trash got to know me and instead of letting me rifle through the trash for scraps of food, they would sneak me food when they could. I wanted to get a job and a place of my own to stay, but the opportunities never came as hard as I tried. One day, my friend Mikey told me that he had heard rumors that there was a man looking for a girl who looked very much like me. I knew in that instant that I had to get out of LA and to someone that could protect me.

I went back to my little hovel with the other teens and began scouring my mother's belongings. Within one of her old jackets, I found a piece of paper with the name of my aunt and her phone number written down. That night, I had picked up enough pocket money that I was able to give her a call. Though I had not seen my aunt Lisa in nearly ten years, she willingly agreed to take me in after I explained to her what had happened with my father. She told me that she could be in Los Angeles the next afternoon, but I knew that it would be too late by then. So, I told her that I would fly to her. She didn't question how I would get the money, but she agreed and said that she would pick me up at the airport.

After I hung up the phone, my mind began to race; I knew that I needed to get the money, but I refused to whore myself out. So, that left one option: I had to steal the money from someone. As I was thinking of my options, I found myself standing in front of Dixon's. I knew that it would be risky to steal from someone in the grocery store, but I also knew that if my father found me, I would not be alive to suffer the punishment for the crime I was about to commit. Part of me still does not understand why I chose you. I think it could have been the fact that I thought your teenage daughter and baby son were absolutely adorable. Another part of me wants to think that it was because you cussed out a woman for berating a gay couple in front of your children. Either way, I chose you and in many ways, I am so happy that I did.

The moment that I stole your purse, your daughter daughter looked at me. At first she looked shocked, but then she nodded to indicate that she understood. As she nodded her head and raised her finger to her lip, I knew that I was safe. The money that I found in your purse was enough for me to get a new shirt, a cab ride to the airport, and the ticket to my safety. In the hours that followed, I went to the airport and bought a plane ticket to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Perhaps the most ironic part of everything that happened in all this is the fact that I met and fell in love with your daughter in my third year at Elizabethtown college. I can only imagine how all this will impact your impression of me when I meet you for the first time. Truly, I do hope that you can forgive me for what I did to you and your family all of those years ago. I do want you to know that you truly did save my life that day, and that your daughter has given me so much support and direction that I will never be able to repay either of you for what you have given me. I will need to end this letter soon because I am graduating from graduate school today. When next we meet, I will have my Masters in Social Work and Masters of Education in Human sexuality. Hopefully, I will soon fulfill my dream of helping teens like I once was finding safe place to live and fulfill their dreams as I have mine. All that I have done in the last six years was only possible because of you. Truly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I hope that you will be able to find a way to forgive me someday.

Sincerely,
Tara M.

Post subject: Re: Letter from a Thief
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 pm 
3. Flaming O

I really really like it. I think that it is great as a stand alone piece but if you want to expand on it that would be amazing as well.

Minor grammatical error, you put "daughter daughter" in one line. Other than that though the grammar, the flow, the everything was wonderful. I am very much looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us in the future. ;)

Also, I love the way you had the daughter be Willow (I think). Maybe, if it's going to be a fan piece (which it seems like it is) you would want to make the mother's name Sheila?

Just my thoughts.

No truer love there did exist
Than twix this hacker and her witch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:12 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great writing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Fascinating story concept. Made me laugh a couple times. Flesh out please!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Bellalocke,

Wow, totally fresh! I was drawn in immediately!

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:25 am 
28. Com...plete

This story was fantastic! I did want to point out that your time line had some inconsistencies (Tara stole the purse 6 years ago but her mom didn't die until 5 years ago; also less than 5 years seems awfully fast to get through college and a Master's program), but the writing was great and the story very intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:28 am 
2. Floating Rose

This was an absolutely fantastic story. I loved the fact that as a reader you never really get to know if the daughter was Willow. I certainly hope so. By the way that little girl acted in the grocery store it totally sounds like something Willow would do. An other thing I loved was that this was a letter to someone. Someone who may not realized that she actually saved someone's life. I'm not a fan of stealing. But this story made me realize that sometimes it is for the greater good. Thank you for this!