The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Latency - Chapter 7
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:26 pm 
:eek "Oh, shit!" repeated a few times, were my actual words at the end of that chapter. Damn, when's the next one coming, don't leave us hanging like that!! Sorry, I tend to get demanding when i'm reading great stories.

Another fantastic chapter StrangeQuark:applause

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

Post subject: Re: Latency - Chapter 8
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:35 am 
*** Author's Note ***

I feel really bad about the cliffhanger ending to the last chapter, so I decided to post the next chapter despite the fact that I'm (big surprise) not very happy with it.

EIAAOIFs ;) (Maybe I should make that my sig)

CHAPTER 8

Claire opened her eyes. Her head pounded, her back was stiff, and her limbs felt sluggish and heavy. She found her body resting upon a leather sofa; its brown covering cracked with age. A few meters from where she lay, a dark silhouette stood concealed in musty shadows.

“Dear Genius.” The dark figure spoke to Claire in a woman’s voice.

“What?” Claire raised her eyebrows.

“We have been waiting for you, watching over you.”

“We?”

“I am the Judge.”

“What happened to my companion?”

“I do not know. You may ask the Seer.” The Judge’s British accent conveyed an eloquent authority.

“Seer?” Claire strained to sit up, eventually standing as she continued her dialog.

“You are the last.”

“What?”

“We will be ready to commence. At last, Mother’s sacrifice has been justified.”

“Mother?”

“Our mother. The Mother.”

Anger edged into Claire’s voice. “What the fuck are you talking about?” Claire shook her head.

“Why are you angry? You are home now. You have been liberated. This is your deliverance.” The Judge’s tone was soft and caring.

“Again, what the fuck are you talking about?” Claire stamped her boot against the floor, accenting the profanity. “Where the fuck is my friend?”

“You are in the Technotheon. Mother wanted you here. You are the Genius, I am the Judge. Why does this confuse you so?”

Claire sighed, her hands dropped to her sides. “Who is your mother?”

The Judge was silent for a moment. She stepped from the shadows, into the light that surrounded Claire and the sofa in the center of the large space.

Claire’s jaw slackened, despite her growing understanding of the situation. She had expected what she saw, but still could not accept that her fantastic belief was true. She approached the Judge, her steps slow and cautious.

The Judge smiled. “I knew that you would understand.”

“I think I do.” Claire stared at the person that stood before her. The novelty of seeing another like herself, in black robes, the face older, had begun to wear off.

“Genius.” The Judge smiled, extending her arms toward Claire.

“Why do you call me that?” Claire asked.

“That is your name, that is your title, that is your purpose.”

“Mother gave me that name?”

“She did.”

“Tell me about her.”

“She is the Mother. She is our mother. We are all born from her.”

“We’re copies of her.”

“No. We share her appearance.”

“What do you mean?”

“She created us in her image, from her body, each one of us with a special augmented trait that she felt essential.” The Judge smiled. “We are not mere clones. We exemplify engineering perfection.”

“You’re the Judge. I’m the Genius. Are there any others?”

“There are seven.” The Judge clasped her hands, closing her eyes as she recited, “The Warrior, the Chemist, the Seer, the Spy, the Healer, the Genius, and the Judge.”

“Where are the others?”

“They are here.”

“So, there’re seven?” Claire swallowed, unsure of the prudence of her next question, “Could there be more?”

“No, dear Genius, we are designed to be an instrument of seven virtues. We are finally united, now we may begin.”

“Begin what?”

“The Endeavor.”

Claire paused. “Where is my companion? I need to speak with her.”

“I do not know.”

“Bullshit. Where is she?”

The Judge was silent. She shook her head.

“She has medicine. Medicine that I need to take. Please, I need to find her.”

“No pets allowed.” A voice sounded from behind the Judge.

Claire saw another image of herself step into the shaft of dim light in which she and the Judge were standing. The identical was wearing a long gray skirt with a white collared shirt. Her eyes met Claire’s through thick glasses.

“The Healer.” The Judge introduced the new arrival into the large dark space.

“Pet?” Claire clenched her fists at her sides. “She’s a human being.”

“She’s not one of the Seven.” The Healer spoke with haste and force behind her words.

“Her presence would profane our home.” The Judge explained, “Their kind is beneath us. We are goddesses.”

“Fuck this. I’m leaving.” Claire turned toward the direction that she believed would lead her to an exit.

“You may try, if you wish.” The Judge sighed.

Claire headed into the dark, unknown of the large mysterious space. She searched for any sign of a door, any current of air, any feature that would indicate to her the way out. Her frenzied search for a doorway of any kind in the confusing darkness of the expanse met with frustration. She returned to the dim shaft of light where the other two had remained.

“Why are you doing this to me?” Claire demanded, “Keeping me prisoner like this?”

“You are safe now. You have been rescued from the dangerous world that has punished you for so long. The world that has shunned you, hurt you, and squandered your talents. The world that has assailed you with violence and hate, and putrefied your spirit with isolation and rejection. The world that is incapable of comprehending even your most trivial thoughts and sees you as its enemy. The world that refuses you the love that you hunger for, and misleads you with vacuous promises of lust and selfish desire. The world that holds you from the happiness and peace that you dream of.”

A great understanding overtook Claire as the Judge’s words echoed through her mind. She could not dismiss the identity that they shared. A connection that she had yearned to feel many times before in her life, only to discover that it was not possible. She began the process of accepting and understanding that she was indeed, in the presence of her kin, her sisters, her own blood. She felt a growing joy that began smoldering within her, brighter with each passing moment.

“Why is this happening now?” Claire asked.

“Please, sit with me, and I will tell you.” The Judge motioned toward the comfortable-looking sofa upon which Claire had awakened amid the dark austerity of their surroundings. She wrapped her arm around Claire’s shoulder, holding her in a comforting closeness as she spoke.

“As you have undoubtedly surmised, Mother tried to rescue you more than a decade to the past. She had been exposed, and feared for our safety. She lost her records, destroyed them before her home was raided. Using her memory and skills of deduction, she was able to collect five of us, and bring us to this place of safety, the Technotheon, as she so named it. Mother went to rescue you, Genius, just before she died. She gave the task of gathering the remaining two to myself and the other four. Subsequent years led to the rescue of the Warrior, though it was difficult due to the collapse of the Internet in 2017. BigNet has taken its place to a large degree, but much of the casual history that we were relying upon in our search has been lost.”

“How did she die?” Claire asked the Judge.

“She was murdered. On the night that she had attempted to rescue you.”

“By whom?”

“We do not know. She was poisoned, stabbed, and shot twice in the head. The authorities found no evidence that implicated anyone specific. We spent much time trying to compile a list of suspects, but have since matured to the point where we have realized that no reciprocity will be needed. The success of our Endeavor shall be Mother’s final triumph.”

“If you knew where I was back then, then why did you wait until now to contact me?”

“Events have taken place, over many years, that have delayed our meeting. Mother’s death, the secession of the Internet, the turmoil of the Southwest; they have all slowed our progress toward unification. The Seer felt you passing close by, several days ago. We were able to find you through the highway surveillance systems.”

“What is the Endeavor?”

“Mother told, as I grew up with her, that she was going to gather us together, unite our powers to bring goodness and light to this cruel, violent world. She painstakingly crafted each of us to ensure that we would have the combined skill to quell the darkness that has plagued humanity since history began.

The terrible weakness of the world provided the sustenance for her venture. She took money from the most murderous creatures, promising to create unstoppable pathogens and disease for their war. She used their vile money to solve the life-age dilemma, decode the complexities of our genes, and manipulate them.”

“And since she couldn’t carry all of us at one, she had an unwitting public incubate us for her.” Claire interjected.

“She was a resourceful woman, determined to see her vision to fruition. The world was collapsing around her. Her sole parent, her father, was taken from her in the first attack. She clawed her way through the pain and grief of her loss with the understanding that males are responsible for every heinous act that has ever been perpetrated against humanity. With her knowledge, she knew that she could prove their obsolescence, lead humanity toward their extinction, and into a new era, a final evolution into civility and love.”

“It’s a beautiful notion, but genocide, um… gender-cide is absolutely unconscionable.”

“You misunderstand, Genius. No one need die by our hand. Our effort will be realized through hegemony and attrition. Males will be bred out of existence, along with their primitive sequences and tendencies. This is an evolutionary process like any other. It will be the greatest evolution of the human species.”

“I respectfully disagree. Where is this Seer? I need to locate my friend. Now.”

“Come with me.” The Judge stood, offering her arm to Claire. Together, they strolled into a directionless darkness, seeming to walk for a great distance before seeing a faint light ahead. The vastness of their surroundings disoriented Claire, she resigned to the fact that she would never be able to retrace their path back to the light that she had awakened under.

#

“I can’t believe they just took off.” Josh shook his head. “I underestimated her, that’s for certain.” He looked to Sarah. “I don’t know how she got that motorcycle to work without ignition wires.”

“You sabotaged her bike?”

“For her own good. I didn’t want them to leave. Not until we could come up with a plan.” Josh started eating from the plate that Sarah had set before him. “Why does she have to be such a rogue?”

“She’s smart. She did it because she wants us to be safe.” Sarah leaned against her husband as she refilled his coffee cup, “I just hope that they’re going to be safe too.”

“I have to call Barry. He’ll know what to do.”

“But what if he’s a part of this?” Sarah snapped. “Claire and I are criminals. Defense and Homeland Security prosecutes criminals.” She sat across from Josh at the small table in their kitchen. “What if you expose us? You seem like as big of a rogue as Claire.”

“He’s our only hope. I can make him understand.” Josh rested his hands on top of Sarah’s. “Besides, he owes us one. My father got that DUI wiped from his record four years ago.”

“We should wait, honey.” Sarah pleaded, “They might call us. They might pull into the driveway any minute.” Sarah brightened, “Maybe they went out for a little ride. That’s why they didn’t say goodbye.”

Josh sighed. “You’re making excuses again. We both know that’s not true.” He looked to Sarah, “I know how much it hurt you, that she left like that.”

“I’m not hurt. I know that she thinks that she’s doing the right thing. I trust her judgment.” Sarah snapped.

“But you don’t trust mine?”

“I do.” Sarah’s head drooped. “Let’s just give them some time. They might call.”

#

As they drew closer to the distant light, Claire could make out a strange shape underneath it. The details became more recognizable as the stepped closer. She saw another identical, seated cross-legged on a vinyl cushion that was three times her size.

A white garment, that pooled around her in the concavity of the enormous pillow upon which she sat, obscured her shape. Her eyes were blank, looking at nothing, each in a different direction. Her head hung to one side, awkward and weaving as she whispered a stream of unrecognizable syllables. Her mouth pronounced the hissing words with greater rapidity as the Judge and the Genius approached.

“The Seer.” The Judge knelt before the palsied being who shared their face.

“What’s wrong with her?” Claire felt her heart sink at the sight of the newly discovered twin’s visible abnormalities.

“She is the second. Her body and mind are quite sound, I assure you. Her greatest strengths are in her perception. Her brain is electrified with thought in areas that are normally dormant in those such as ourselves. She can see what we cannot. She can hear sounds that we could not notice, even if we tried. She can talk to us through her thoughts, an unending song that spirals from her deepest brain, across any distance, and into our own.”

“Can she hear us?”

“Before we speak, when our minds are still assembling the words.”

“Where is my companion?” Claire asked, expecting her answer from the endless hiss of whispery sounds that emanated from the Seer’s mouth. She dropped onto the red plastic knee-guards of her suit, clutching her head as she reeled through the potent reply.

Claire’s mind stopped working. She lost her connection with the physical world. The sensation of her limbs, her pulse, and her breathing faded. She swept through a long bright passage of color and movement, a faint image at its end drawing closer. Her ears roared with an uncomfortable, thunderous sound. The image was upon her, wavering as if viewed from beneath water, the sound quieted.

She saw Aki, blindfolded, her mouth covered in black cloth tape, her hands bound behind her back, lying on her side upon a metal grating of a floor. Her suit was dirty, her boots and gloves were gone. Claire could feel Aki’s fear as well as the harshness of her prison. She tried in vain to reach out to the girl before the fragile bubble of vision and sensation collapsed around her.

Her eyesight returned. She found herself curled on the floor, whimpering and shaking as the Judge looked down upon her. She struggled to speak, her mind not yet in full control of her voice.

“The Seer has found the answer to your question.” The Judge kneeled, short of breath, next to Claire. She gripped the girl’s arm through the rough fabric of her riding suit. “She is of no consequence. You cannot help her.”

“Where?” Claire waited for another mind-assaulting vision from the Seer, but received nothing in response to her question. “Where is she?” She tried again, looking to the gentle sway of the Seer’s movement, trying to make contact with her blind eyes. Claire climbed to her feet and shouted her demand. “Where the fuck is she?”

“Cecilia is not an appliance. She has gone to great lengths for you already. She needs to recover, more so than we, after a vision such as that.”

“You saw it too then. She’s in trouble.”

“That is not our concern.”

“She’s an innocent person. I dragged her into this shit. She needs my help.”

“You cannot help her.”

“The fuck I can’t.” Claire grabbed the Judge by her shoulders, shaking her. “Get me out of this place. Now!”

“You are indeed distraught.” The Judge craned her head back from Claire’s menacing shout. She cleared her throat, attempting to recover her composure after Claire’s passionate, menacing demonstration. “The Healer will help you. She can quiet your mind for you as she does for the rest.”

Claire understood the implication of the Judge’s statement. “So we’re all fucking crazy? Is that the engineering marvel, the goddess-like beings that we are, a bunch of fucking lunatics?”

“Some chances were taken when some of us were formulated. Some compromises needed to be made in order to assure our strengths.” The Judge admitted, her voice stern. “Balance needed to be maintained within our sequences. Extraordinary abilities are not free for the taking in God’s universe.”

She felt a sudden pinch at the base of her neck. She succumbed to a wave of calm that engulfed her mind. She turned to see the Healer standing behind her, a syringe in her hand, a smile across her mouth.

“Isn’t that better?” She pulled Claire into a tight embrace, stroking her back through the coarse fabric of her suit.

“Yes. It’s much better.” Claire smiled. She understood that she was experiencing, for the first time, the existence of a sane person. Her brain chemistry had been balanced. The new feeling was pleasant and joyful. She rested her head on the comfort of the Healer’s shoulder as she continued to revel in the newly found stability.

The Healer pulled away from Claire, smiling, “Let’s get you some proper clothes, Genius.”

#

“Sarah!” Josh shook his wife where she had collapsed onto the floor of their kitchen. “Honey. Wake up.”

She began to stir. Her eyes were squeezed shut as she rolled on the wooden floor, groaning. “She’s in trouble.” She forced the words through her pain.

“I’m going to call an ambulance.”

“No. It’s fading.” Sarah swallowed hard as she opened her eyes.

“Another migraine, honey?” Josh stroked his wife’s forehead. “I’ll get your pills from the bedroom.”

“No.” Sarah gulped again. “Not a migraine.”

“I’m calling an ambulance. You might have had a stroke.” Josh stood, reaching for his M-lync on the kitchen table.

“No.” Sarah caught his arm. “Aki’s in trouble.”

“What?”

“I saw her. I felt it. Like ESP or something.”

“Was this before or after you collapsed?” Josh gave his wife a half-smile. “Come on, let’s get you to a doctor.”

“I’ll be okay.” Sarah shook her head as she started to stand with Josh’s assistance. “Something happened to them. We have to find them.” She started to walk out of the kitchen.

“You mean you had some kind of vision?”

“I saw Aki, bound, gagged, blindfolded, scared.” Sarah shuddered, “We’ve got to do something.”

“I know what to do.” Josh opened the cover of his M-lync.

#

Aki determined that she was being carried. From the sound of the footsteps at her sides, she presumed that two people were dragging her down a long corridor. She had stopped crying hours ago, and had learned to accept her predicament. She felt a seat being placed beneath her as the sets of arms released her into it. She heard them leave her. She sat in silence, behind the darkness of her blindfold for what seemed to be hours.

She was snapped into awareness again by the pain of the tape being torn from her mouth. She did not cry out, fearing more punishment like that which she had endured in the first moments after her capture. Hands yanked the blindfold from her closed eyes. She opened them to see an older man, dressed in a fine suit walking away from her, to the other side of the barren metal table that she found herself seated at.

He was tall with a very distinguished-looking face. His head was topped by waves of silver and black hair. His impeccable clothes looked expensive, and his cologne was pleasant and subtle. The skin of his clean-shaven face looked soft and smooth, lacking the wrinkles that his hair color had led Aki to expect. The man stared at her for several minutes before speaking. “Ms. Nashumara.” He sighed. “Do you know why you’re here?”

Aki paused for several seconds before lowering her eyes and shaking her head.

“Do you know where you are?”

She shook her head.

The man stood, pacing the length of the narrow, dimly lit room before speaking again. “Do you want to leave?”

Aki chose not to react. She wanted to answer in the affirmative, but understood that her wish would not be considered.

“Yes or no!” The man slammed his hands against the metal table, causing the diminutive girl to flinch.

“Y-yes.” Aki sniffled.

“Good.” The man resumed pacing. “You have to help me. I want you to be able to leave. It’s in your hands, though.” He sat himself at the table, across from Aki. “Tell me about your friend; Ms. Galloway.”

Aki started speaking, unsure of what to admit and what to conceal. “She works at the Jersey City municip…”

“Wrong!” He shouted.

Aki cringed at the violent outburst. “I’m sorry. I… I…”

His voice was gentle again. “Tell me why two Federal agents who were sent to apprehend her were found unconscious at the gas station minutes after you were taken into custody.”

“Hugh?”

“You’ve been traveling with her. Why have you been using paper money? Why are there no records of hotel visits?”

“I don’t know.”

“You two were trying to keep your little excursion a secret, weren’t you?”

Aki was silent.

“Don’t underestimate the amount of trouble that you’re in, Ms. Nashumara. We ask for your cooperation, and in return, you may have your freedom restored. All you have to do is tell me what you two were trying to do.”

“We were just taking a trip.”

“You weren’t riding for a charity then?”

Aki grew pale.

“That’s what you and your partner said, isn’t it?” The man pulled a chair out from the table and rested one of his well-polished shoes on its seat. “A good citizen alerted us to your suspicious little escapade a few days ago.”

“We just made it up. It was just a joke.”

“What was your target going to be?” The man raised his voice.

“We didn’t have any target.” Aki raised her voice.

“Come now, Ms. Nashumara. The presidential election is coming up, you two take a secretive little jaunt across the country, and just happen to stop in the very neighborhood where one of the candidate’s family lives?”

“We didn’t know. We were just visiting her sister.”

The man released a weary sigh. “Her record doesn’t indicate that she has any siblings. Please start telling the truth, for your own sake.”

The man turned to the sound of another entering the room.

A woman was walking toward the table where Aki and her interrogator sat. She wore a long, dark wool coat over black tactical clothing. Her body was adorned with various black devices of either plastic or metal, all suspended from an elaborate system of black nylon harnesses and belts. She flashed an ID placard to the man.

“I’ll be pursuing this matter in your place. This investigation will proceed under the authority of the Office of Defense and Homeland Security.” She informed the well-dressed man. “I am asking you to leave, sir.”

The man cooperated, sighing as he left the room, slamming the metal door behind him.

Aki looked up, stealing a quick glance of her newest tormentor. The woman’s face held a vague familiarity to the Asian, and the sound of her voice struck a chord in Aki’s memory.

“Aki Nashumara.” The woman stated, drumming her fingers on the edge of the metal table. “You seem to keep very dangerous company, my dear.” She lowered her face in order to contact Aki’s averted eyes. “Don’t you agree?”

Aki nodded. She closed her eyes to avoid the penetrating stare of her new interrogator.

“Or, maybe you’re the dangerous one.” The woman walked around, stopping behind Aki’s chair before continuing, “Tell me, darling, why did you and your… companion choose to use paper money?”

“I don’t know.”

The woman chuckled. “Did you think that it would go unnoticed that neither of you used your credit sticks in the past five days?”

Aki shifted in her chair.

“The FBI might not know what you’re up to, but I do.”

Aki closed her eyes.

“You have friends in high places, sweetie.” The woman placed a hand on Aki’s shoulder. “You’re going to piss them off. Is that what you want? To piss them off?”

“I… I don’t know.” Aki sniffled, starting to tear under the hostile pressure that she had been enduring all morning.

The woman rested her chin on Aki’s shoulder, whispering into her ear. “You’re right. You have no idea.”

Aki shivered at the sensation of the other’s proximity and menacing tone.

#

Claire had followed the Healer through more expansive darkness to an area that opened into a dormitory. They entered a long hallway with a high ceiling. They strolled side-by-side past dim-lighted rooms, some with furniture, some with electronic equipment, some with bunks, and others empty. The Healer’s arm around Claire’s waist guided her into one of the larger spaces where others sat in silence. The attention of the room’s two occupants fixed on Claire as she entered.

“Genius.” One of the two rose from the metal chair in which she had been seated. She extended her arms to Claire as she approached. “We’re so joyful that you arrived to us.” The identical’s speech was awkward, clouded by a thick Italian accent. She grabbed Claire into a tight embrace.

“That’s the Chemist.” The other spoke from behind the Italian. “I’m the Warrior.”

Claire looked over the Chemist’s shoulder to the sight of another duplicate. She wore fatigues in the black and gray dapple of urban camouflage. Claire began to appreciate the scope of her creator’s plan, and the great lengths that she must have gone to in order to execute it.

“Here’s your luggage.” The Healer handed Claire two of the duffle bags that she and Aki had used as makeshift panniers for their motorcycle.

“Thanks.” Claire gathered her belongings. The Healer led her out of the common area, and into one of the dormitories.

“You can change in here. I’m ordering rest for you until tomorrow.” The Healer’s tone was firm, “If you begin to feel depressed or disoriented, have one of the others get me, and I’ll help you.”

“Um, thanks.”

The Healer’s eyes met Claire’s through thick glasses as she smiled. “You’ll get used to all of this soon, Genius. We’ve got lots to accomplish, but it’s noble work.” She removed her glasses, “If you get lonely, or need to talk, I’m here for you. Please remember that?”

Claire nodded.

The Healer left the room. Claire set her bags on one of the metal-framed bunks along the wall and started to shimmy out of her riding suit. After changing, she studied the details of her strange new domain. There were no windows, the walls were metal; cold to the touch and covered in chipped gray paint. All of the facility’s wiring and plumbing was exposed and ancient in appearance. The lighting was dim but warm, contrasting itself to the austere décor. She concluded that they were in a military base of some kind, one that had fallen into disuse for many decades.

Claire had started to formulate a plan that would enable her to escape the facility. She hoped that the pervasive darkness and her non-unique appearance could work to her advantage. She was preparing to take herself on a secret tour of the vaulted Technotheon when knock at the frame of the room’s doorway startled her.

“Care to go out for a smoke?” The Warrior asked, raising an eyebrow.

Claire nodded. She snapped herself into as much awareness as she could manage in order to memorize what she hoped would be the route of her escape.

“Come on.” The Warrior led Claire through more disorienting darkness, and eventually to an opening in a large, circular metal shaft. Through the opening, Claire saw a welded ladder that led both up and down from the level that they were on.

The Warrior entered the shaft and climbed upward. Claire followed beneath her, trying to discern the extent of the shaft’s height and depth as she went. The Warrior exited the conduit, looking down to Claire.

“This is our stop.” She grinned. “Almost there.”

Claire followed through a rough, rock-lined passage, expecting to see daylight around a corner, but finding only more poorly lit tunnel instead. The walls of the tunnel opened to a vast overlook. She braced herself against a sudden chill as they walked out onto the side of a mountain. The late-afternoon sky above the two was clear and cold.

“I’m glad that I’m not the only smoker anymore.” The Warrior placed two cigarettes between her lips, lighting them. She handed one to Claire. “Of course I’ve cut back quite a bit, since it’s such a pain in the ass to get outside.”

“Where are we?” Claire asked, shivering as she took a drag.

“Wyoming. A derelict Civil Defense command center from the 1970’s.” The Warrior walked behind Claire, removed her jacket, and draped it around Claire’s shoulders. “That better?”

Claire nodded.

They stood, smoking together in silence for several minutes.

“What’s your name?”

“Dianne Molsbee.” She smiled. “Why don’t you ask what’s really on your mind?”

“What do you mean?”

Dianne looked to the darkness of the sky above as she exhaled a plume of gray smoke. “You want to rescue your little trinket?”

“She’s a human being.” Claire fixed Dianne in an icy stare as she ground the butt of her cigarette into the stone beneath them. “How did you know?”

“I had one of those once.” Dianne lit two more cigarettes, handing one to Claire. “His name was Kyle. He played guitar in a rock band in Edmonton, where I grew up. I used to imagine that he would get famous, we’d travel the world together.”

“And then he was violently kidnapped just before someone knocked you out with chloroform. I can see how you identify.” Claire’s sarcasm went unnoticed.

“No. I was rescued, and haven’t seen him since. I’m sure he’s doing just fine. He’s probably getting sucked-off by a bunch of groupies as we speak.” Dianne looked to Claire, “Someone nabbed your little damsel. Do you know who has her?”

“I’m guessing the First Army.”

Dianne laughed, choking on the cloud of smoke that gusted from her throat through the spasms. “Mother destroyed them more than a decade ago. She put the pox on them, literally.”

“But I read all of these articles, accounts, documents on BigNet.”

“Don’t believe everything you read on BigNet.” Dianne chuckled. “If anyone snatched your little pal, it’d be the Feds. They’ve been running wild ever since the capture of Aztlan. Everyone gave up their civil rights for the sake of security.”

“Where would they take her? What can I do to get her out?”

“Easy there, Genius.” Dianne rested her hands against Claire’s upper arms, holding her still. “You’re not going to be able to do anything for her, you understand? Her fate is out of your hands.”

Claire started to cry. “I’m going to help her or die trying.” She sniffled, turning to walk away.

Dianne gripped Claire by her arms, looking into her eyes, “You should get some sleep, Genius. You look exhausted.”

“You won’t let me leave, will you?”

Dianne shook her head. “Please, I’m asking for your cooperation. We all have a job to do around here.”

#

Cavanaugh Davis slammed the drawer of his desk closed. He was still angry about having his authority undermined. He knew that there would be no appeals or recourse; in light of the recent bombing and the impending presidential race, the ODHS was above any law or protocol. He gulped some of his still-too-hot coffee as he leaned back in his chair, tossing a crumpled piece of paper at his wastebasket, and missing.

He groaned as he stood, straining to reach for the balled-up transfer-of-custody letter that the female ODHS agent had left with his partner. Before his fingertips touched the litter, his M-lync vibrated. He answered the incoming call.

“Yes?”

“Special Agent Cavanaugh Davis?”

“Yes.”

“I am Barry Schon, Assistant Director of the DHS Domestic Threat division.”

“Yes, Mr. Schon. What can I do for you?” Davis’ spoke through his teeth.

“You have taken some subjects into custody today. I would appreciate your professional consideration as to their transfer into the ODHS for further processing.”

Davis chuckled. “And you guys laugh at the FBI for being disorganized.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“One of yours has already transferred custody.” Davis opened the crinkled form, smoothing it flat against his desk, “You authorized it yourself. Your print’s in both boxes.”

There was silence on the part of Schon.

“This shit isn’t bogus, is it?”

“No. I must have forgotten. It’s been very busy around here.” Schon said.

Edited by: StrangeQuark at: 11/17/03 11:58 am

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:33 am 
whoa... I'm really impressed with what you have here :wink it seems like each time you post an update, the story veers off from the expected plot direction... strength to you! :applause

Especially dig the fact that the story so far combines elements of the best Sci-fi movies around -- Blade Runner, with Claire as the flawed protagonist, and Minority Report. Mayhaps you're a Philip K. Dick fan?

Keep posting.. I'm eagerly awaiting more updates. :applause

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:04 am 
PeeBrain,

From your comparison, it seems that I should start reading his stuff ;)

I've never seen either of the movies that you've mentioned, and now, I wish that I had. I'm hoping that the similarities that you're citing are very broad, otherwise, I have a lot of re-writing to do :)

I have read a lot of different things, mostly from the 50's and 60's (Asimov, Heinlein, etc.) when it comes to Sci-Fi, so my perception of a cool, origional story is a little dated, I suppose. It's funny that you mentioned PKD since a friend of mine, who's been reading my manuscript for me, casually mentioned that I might enjoy reading PKD books. At the time, I didn't know why he said that. He's a huge PKD fan, and a very good writer. Kind of like my mentor in this, my second-ever attempt at telling a story.

As for the plot's shiftiness, I have broken up the chapters intentionally to create that type of movement in the reader's mind. Guess it's working :) I like storys that challenge the reader's assumptions, but I hate stories that intentionally mislead, so this has been a tightrope walk for me as far as the plot is concerned. It has a few more shifts to take before it's all over, so I hope that you enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the feedback, Pee. I really enjoy hearing the perspective of people who don't know what's going to happen in the next three chapters already (unlike me).

All,

I guess that everyone figured out how Aki's hair got messed up in the end of chapter 7? I hope that it wasn't too subtle. ;)

More on the way, soon. Maybe by Sunday. Thanks for reading.

-SQ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:58 am 
Finally got the time to catch up on the two updates. Only one word surfaces right now. Wow. :clap

Cassie

Ask me if I loved you yesterday. I'll say 'Yes'

Ask me if I love you today. I'll say 'Yes'

Ask me if I'll love you tomorrow. I'll say 'Always'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:04 pm 
This is such an impressive story and a joy to read.

I'm really looking forward to the next installment.

Jill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:36 am 
You keep putting each chapter down despite it being totally unwarranted. Though I guess we're harder on our own writing than other peoples.

Well their mother certainly took a lot of killing, kind of like Rasputin.

Though those people aren't very smart or else they'd realise that Claire would be more likely to cooperate if they let her help Aki. Instead they just assume that she'll fall into line.

Alos why don't they know about Sarah? the fact she shared the vision proves she's related somehow. But then what is her role?

If it's not the department of homeland security (and here was me thinking that DHS was a chain of department stores) that has Aki now then who is it?

Definitely looking forward to reading more

Anya in a wimple...I'd pay full admission for that. Gods Served And Abandoned - by Antigone Unbound

You know the worst thing about people in a relationship? The fact that they're in a relationship. - Hilda Spellman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:29 am 
Cassie- Thanks ;)

Jill- I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying the story. I always enjoy learning of another enthusiast for my work. It really makes me smile to know that you (and maybe even a few others) are actually reading this voluntarily :)

Justin- All very good questions. To be answered/addressed soon.

All-

I'm still working on chapter 9. There's a lot going on with both the plot(s) and the characters in chapters 9 and 10, so please bear with me as I find the best way to tell this story.

I've read that well-constructed characters will write the story for you. I have noticed that several of my characters (I know that this sounds kind of crazy, but it's true) have been trying to run away with the story. It's like I've made them too strong, or too persuasive. Sometimes, I'll spend an hour or two typing, and read back what I've written only to find that one of the characters said or did the coolest thing, and I don't have any recollection of writing about it. Weird, hugh?

BTW, the Judge is the WORST when it comes to that. She just says the coolest things though. I like to let her ramble.

Chapter 9 will be ready soon. Be assured that I will post it as soon as it's close to ready.

Again, thanks to everyone for the praise, compliments, feedback, and encouragement.

P.S.-- You've all read about 200 novel-pages by now. About 46,000 words.

Post subject: Re: Latency - Chapter 9
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:40 pm 
CHAPTER 9

Claire walked into the room where she was supposed to sleep. One wall of the narrow space was adorned with shelf-like sleeping platforms, more than would ever be needed by seven people. She decided to take a bunk that was far from the room’s entrance, hoping for privacy and solitude. She knew that despite the fact that she hadn’t slept in almost two days, her mind was too troubled and the afternoon too early for slumber to take place.

As she made her way toward the back, she was surprised to pass an occupied bed along the way. She did not want to stare, but the sight of two of her sisters nested together, like a pair of spoons, caught her off guard. She could not tell which two comprised the sleeping pair due to the dim light and the fact that they were all, for the most part, identical. The strange and touching sight brought back memories for her. Memories of Sarah holding her like that, memories of Aki asleep in her arms, neither of which served to comfort her in this strange, lonely place.

Making as little noise as possible, she stripped to her underwear. She stuffed her garments into one of the duffels that held some of the clothing that she and Aki had been taking back with them. She pulled a white silk shirt from the bag and carried it with her to her chosen bed. She slid under the rough military-style covers and closed her eyes, trying to, and subsequently failing to sleep.

#

“You and I are going on a little trip.” The woman taunted Aki with a grin. “You like taking little trips, don’t you?”

Aki hung her head in silence.

“You’re going to cooperate right?”

Aki remained silent.

“Good.” The woman reached inside of her coat, accessing one of the many black pouches that was suspended from the belting around her torso. “Chin up, little one.”

Aki’s view of the room became obscured as a heavy fabric hood was placed over her head. She struggled against the assault as best she could with her hands bound behind her back.

“Don’t fuss.” The woman’s voice was gentle. Her strong hands braced Aki’s shoulders. “Be a good little girl and cooperate. You’ll get a special treat if you do.”

Aki calmed herself out of resignation rather than compliance to the arrogance of her captor.

“Good.” The woman’s hands started to massage Aki’s shoulders and neck through the rugged fabric of her riding suit.

Aki tried to remain tense, but the firm, caressing pressure against her neck and shoulders forced her to relax. Her mind was emptying, and she wanted to wish away all of the terrible day. She felt ashamed as she recognized the involuntary comfort that she drew from the soothing touch of her tormentor.

“That’s a good little girl. Relax.” The woman smiled as she spoke, “I’m guessing that you do yoga?”

The bag on Aki’s head shook.

“Now, I’m going to help you stand up, and we’re going to take a little walk. No funny business, okay?”

Aki nodded under the hood that concealed her head. She cooperated, standing as the woman helped to lift her and following as the woman led her by the arm for what seemed to Aki like miles. Eventually, she felt the chill wind of the outside against her hands, and the frigid roughness of asphalt and gravel through her socks. She felt herself being hoisted into a vehicle, and the whine of a turbine engine indicated to her that it had to be a helicopter.

She felt an arm around her during their noisy flight. She felt a hand gripping her shoulder. She thought of Claire. She wondered what had happened to her genius-friend. She figured that she must have evaded the authorities since they were all asking about her. She hoped that Claire would not embark on any misguided quest to save her, trying to ignore the fact that she had really been hoping for the taller girl to rescue her all day.

Through the darkness of the hood, Aki discerned that they had landed. She was lowered to the ground and then ushered into what she thought could be a large automobile. The seat upon which she had been placed felt soft and smelled of fine leather. She heard the door next to her close, and then the door in front of her. The helicopter had taken off, and the vehicle’s engine had been started. Silent hours of driving passed.

#

Tapping at her shoulder interrupted Claire’s restlessness. She opened her eyes to see the Warrior smiling at her.

“Wake up, Genius.” Dianne’s voice was soft but bright. “There’s a package here for you.”

“What?”

“Come on, get dressed. Put your little security blanket away for now.” She grabbed the white silk garment that Claire had been clutching close to her face as she had attempted to sleep.

“What’s all this about?”

“Who could this tiny shirt belong to?” The Warrior held the white silk up to her cheek, “Aw, she smells so sweet.”

Claire slid from her bunk, and stood before the Warrior with her shoulders back and her head high, trying her best to intimidate her tormentor. She glared at the slightly shorter woman, inching closer to her. “Give that back.” Claire growled.

The Warrior stepped back, bowing her head as she extended the garment to Claire. “You’re bad mood is gonna turn around soon.”

#

Claire followed the Warrior into the spread of light in which two others stood. She saw the two, one tall, the other short, as she approached. She slowed as she saw that one of them was hooded, and the other holding the hooded one.

When she recognized the red and gray outfit of the short figure, she ran. She pulled the hood from Aki’s head. She drew the girl into the tightest embrace that she had ever given to anyone, peppering the top of the shorter woman’s head with rapid, firm kisses as she squeezed.

Aki inhaled deeply, her nose against Claire’s collarbone, her eyes closed. She fussed, her hands bound behind her still, trying to balance herself.

Claire released her friend, moving behind her to try to free her hands. She turned to the Warrior and the stranger who stood beside her.

“Do you have a key for these?” She asked the pair as she fidgeted with the handcuffs that held Aki’s wrists together.

The strange woman sighed, walking over to Claire. “You think it’s wise to unlock the little primate, Genius?”

“Yes. Now.” Claire’s expression and tone commanded the stranger’s respect.

The strange woman complied, producing a key to the shackles, and using it to unlock Aki. “She is my gift to you, Genius.”

Claire looked to the stranger. The woman’s face was almost familiar. She noticed that the woman had clenched her right hand around the little finger of Aki’s left, defying the girl’s attempts to pull free of the grasp.

“I am the Spy, at your service.” The woman bowed to Claire and winked to Aki. She released her grip on Aki’s finger and walked to stand next to the Warrior.

Aki rubbed her wrists, looking at the woman in disbelief as she leaned against Claire. She gasped as she caught sight of the Warrior, the first other likeness of Claire that she had seen other than Sarah. She turned to Claire, her expression worried.

“Are you okay?” Aki asked, looking to Claire.

“Never mind me,” Claire hugged Aki again, rubbing her hands over the plastic armor that adorned the back of Aki’s suit. “How are you?”

“Better.” Aki spoke against Claire’s chest. “Now that I know you’re alright.”

Claire released Aki, turning the girl toward the other two. “This is the Warrior.” She pointed to Dianne, “And this is the Spy?” Claire pointed to the other woman, her eyebrows raised.

“Why don’t you ask me?” The Spy prompted Claire.

“Why do you look different than… us?”

“The Healer and the Chemist saw to that. This is my third new face.”

“I thought your voice sounded familiar.” Claire smiled.

The Warrior stepped over to Aki. She grabbed the Asian’s shoulder in a firm, gentle gesture. She turned to Claire.

“Genius, I’ll take care of your… hobby while you and the Spy have a chance to become acquainted.”

“She stays here.” Claire shook her head.

“Respectfully, I suggest that she needs rest, Genius.” The Spy bowed before Claire. “I promise that no one will harm her.”

Aki looked to Claire, shaking her head, her eyes pleading with her friend.

The Spy stepped over to Claire, leaning toward her sister, whispering close into her ear. “The Judge is asleep. Now is the time for us to talk.”

Claire leaned back from the discomforting nearness of the other. A confused look crossed her face.

“I brought you this gift, Genius. Please? It’s very important.”

Claire looked to Aki, smiling weakly. “Go with the Warrior. I’ll be with you as soon as I can.”

“But I…”

Claire reached out, holding Aki’s hands firmly in her own, looking into the shorter woman’s eyes. “Please.”

Aki nodded. She looked to the floor, saddened, but visibly relieved that she had been reunited with Claire. The Warrior led her away from the other two, and into the vast darkness of the Technotheon.

“She’s a little sweetheart, isn’t she?” The Spy offered. “Maybe we could share her.”

Claire glowered at the Spy.

“You don’t share your toys?”

“What do you want to speak with me about?” Claire folded her arms.

“The hierarchy.”

Claire shrugged.

“I’m sure that the Judge has been bossing you around.”

“Not really.”

“Give it time.” The Spy smiled. “You are the leader, Genius. No one tells you what to do.”

“Says who?”

“Mother. She created you to lead the rest of us. The Judge acted in your place. She always held it over us that she was the truest of the sisters, having been born of and raised by Mother. In your absence, we all agreed that she would be the de facto leader until your rescue.”

“Can’t the Judge just keep up with the leadership? I don’t want to be a leader.”

“You are the leader, and I am here to help you. I brought you the gift. I risked a lot to get her away from the FBI. I’m going to have to get my fourth new face now. How else should I demonstrate my allegiance to you?”

“So, you’re kissing the ass of the new leadership?”

“I hope that you’re serious.” The Spy reached behind Claire, grabbing a handful of her behind. “Please be serious.”

Claire backed away from the Spy her mouth soundlessly moving, unsure of what to say.

“When I saw you, days ago, I hoped that we could become close. Find each other.” The Spy’s expression did little to allay Claire’s discomfort.

“I don’t… um, that’s…”

“I won’t tell your little sashimi. I won’t tell anyone.” The Spy inched closer to Claire, pulling at the hem of her T-shirt, “Unless you want me to.”

Claire backed away further.

“You don’t want me, do you?” The Spy frowned. “It’s my face isn’t it?”

“It’s not your face. You’re a beautiful woman.”

“We are not women. We are goddesses.” The Spy asserted. “Maybe you like the Japanese look. I could look like that for you.”

“No. I’m not interested. It’s too weird.” Claire shook her head.

“I’m sorry. I’ve just been hoping. A stupid hope.”

“Hoping for what?”

“I’ve always been alone here. An outsider.” The Spy sniffled, running a finger beneath one of her eyes to catch a droplet. “Even before my face was changed. They’re all happy together, they have each other. I have no one. I watch them comfort each other, feel for each other, hold each other. I just want to be loved like the rest.”

“Why do you think that they’re so distant from you?”

“Because they don’t understand me. Hell, I don’t think any of them trust me.” She cleared her throat. “I’m like you.”

“What do you mean?”

“I like girls.”

“Why do you think I like girls?” Claire’s tone was defensive.

“When I got a load of the company that you keep, I just assumed that you did.”

“I like one particular girl.” Claire’s cheeks reddened at the sound of her own spontaneous admission. “And the others are bigoted against you for it?”

“They don’t believe in sex… period. They believe in sororal love. They believe in their Endeavor.”

“You don’t believe in it?”

“I’ve been out of the nest a few times, Genius. I’ve seen what they’re up against. I’ve tried to tell them, but they won’t believe me. They choose not to. They’re kind of closed minded like that.”

“So they don’t condone any sexuality?”

“That’s not accurate. They condemn all sexuality.” The Spy looked wistful. “They don’t know what they’re missing. I was on an assignment with this redheaded ODHS agent last year. She was exquisite.”

“I’m sorry, but I have to agree with the others. I’ve never felt that way for anyone.”

“Except the charming little Ms. Nashumara.”

Claire shook her head.

The Spy laughed. “You’re more messed up than me.”

“I’ll admit that I’m a little confused right now.” Claire sighed.

The Spy shook her head. “I will always be waiting for you, Genius. Always.” She smiled weakly, “When you change your mind, when the little maguro hurts you, when you’re ready, I’ll be waiting for you.”

#

Claire made her way to the barracks, searching for the Warrior and Aki. She spotted the Warrior sitting in a chair next to one of the bunks along the wall. She saw Aki’s shape curled under one of the rough, drab blankets. The Warrior held a finger to her lips.

“She’s asleep.” The Warrior whispered, standing slowly from where she had been sitting. “I’ll leave you two now.” She started to depart and stopped, catching Claire’s arm as she passed her, “Know this, Genius. I will die if I have to in order to protect anyone within the Technotheon. Even her.”

Claire smiled to the Warrior, nodding in silent thanks.

After the other had departed, Claire nudged Aki over in the small shelf-like bed as she slid under the covers with her friend. The Asian clung to her as Claire wrapped her arms and legs tightly around the small woman. Aki nuzzled the sensitive skin at the base of Claire’s neck, inhaling deeply.

Claire craned her head lower, placing a kiss on Aki’s forehead as she crossed her ankles behind the Asian’s legs. Aki responded, rubbing the softness of her lips and nose against Claire’s neck.        They drifted to sleep entwined and peaceful.

#

The following morning, seven of the base’s inhabitants gathered around a circular metal table. Aki had grabbed a stray chair, sliding herself in between Claire and the Spy, eagerly awaiting food. Her stomach had been growling in protest for more than a day. The Healer had rationed out the food, small squares of dense material, wrapped in metallic plastic.

“What about Aki?” Claire interjected as the Healer took her seat, obviously complete with her disbursement of the morning rations. “She needs to eat too.” Claire’s voice rose when the other failed to respond.

“We’re not going hungry because your kitten wants some milk, Genius.” The Healer exchanged a glance with the Judge and the Chemist as she spoke.

“Please, Genius, understand that we have limited resources. An additional ration of food each day could endanger our reserves.” The Judge said. “We are not without compassion, but we were already near a subsistence diet before you had arrived.”

“Whose fault is that then?” The Spy chimed in.

The Judge glared at the different-faced woman.

“So you’re content to let her starve?” Claire snapped. “What happened to the enlightenment, and peace, and love?”

“I’m not hungry anyway.” Aki lied, hoping to resolve the conflict that centered on her presence.

“Bullshit. You haven’t eaten anything in over twenty-four hours.” Claire handed her flavorless square to Aki. “Please, take mine.”

Claire’s expression, generosity, and caring combined into a concerted gesture of adoration that made Aki melt inside, forgetting the bickering of the past few moments. She tucked her fingers into the waistband of Claire’s pants, looking up to her with affection as she chewed on the tough, pale square with an avarice that belied her previous statement.

As the others ate their starchy rations, Claire decided to ask some questions of the captive audience.

“So, why are you only using emergency lighting?”

The Judge answered, “The Technotheon’s power source is not functional, Genius. I was going to assign the task of its repair to you.”

The Spy flashed a smile to Claire.

“What kind of power source is it?”

“I do not know. I’m sure that it will be little trouble for one of your intellect to repair it, regardless of its nature.”

Claire chuckled, stifling herself for the apparent rudeness of her amusement. “Come on. What if it needs uranium or something? You think that my IQ can build a strip mine and a refining operation out of rusty bunk beds and a tattered leather sofa?”

The Judge smiled. “Not at all. You simply let me know what it is that you will require, and the one who is most qualified will obtain it for you.”

“I require more food then.” The Spy narrowed her eyes at the Judge. “Why haven’t we obtained that?”

“Enough.” The Healer interjected. “Now that we are a complete team, all of these problems will be solved. I know it. Mother knew it.”

Claire and Aki watched all of the sisters bow there heads after the Healer’s proclamation. Aki wriggled her fingers between the soft heat of Claire’s bare hip and the waistband of the taller girl’s trousers as she flashed her friend a half-smile of shared amusement at the spectacle.

The Spy rubbed Aki’s thigh, whispering to her and Claire as the other’s emerged from their reverie and began to talk amongst themselves.

“The Chemist can show you the electrical rooms, Genius. Why don’t you go slide over next to her and ask about them?”

Claire took the Spy’s advice and moved, with her chair, in between where the Chemist and the Warrior were seated.

The Spy looked around the room before pulling something from the inside of her coat and presenting it to Aki.

“You want some more?” The Spy held a square wrapped in silvery plastic in front of Aki.

Aki nodded, reaching to accept the foodstuff.

The Spy pulled the package away as Aki’s small fingers made contact with its edge. “Not so fast, sakamushi.” She grinned. “You need to do something for me first.”

Aki nodded again.

“Your owner, what does she like?” The Spy handed the meal-square to Aki.

Aki cleared her throat. “She likes old music. She likes books. She likes motorcycles. She likes vodka.”

“So, if you were going to give her a present, what would it be?”

“I don’t know.”

“Do you want some more food?”

“Okay. Maybe clothes. Or a book. Maybe something antique.”

“Find me a present for her. One that she’ll really like.”

“Are there any stores around here?” Aki asked, doubting that the answer would be confirmatory.

“You’ll have to be creative.” The Spy flashed a sly grin.

“You mean make her a gift?”

“I’ll bet that you could find one around here somewhere.” The Spy raised an eyebrow. “There’s a lot of old shit in this place. She likes old shit, right teriyaki?”

“I guess.” Aki narrowed her eyes to the condescending woman.

“I want to give your master a present. Apparently, you weren’t good enough.” The Spy rolled her eyes. “If you find a good present for her, and she likes it, I’ll give you my food rations for a week.”

“I don’t know. I don’t want you to go hungry.” Aki veiled her suspicion with mock-concern.

“Don’t worry about me, sukiyaki. I can take care of myself.” The Spy clamped her hand around Aki’s thigh, squeezing with enough force to cause the smaller woman to yelp. "Just think, your Genius won't have to worry about feeding you for a whole week."

She released the Asian as Claire had returned to where they were seated. Aki understood the Spy’s silent warning as she brushed her index finger across her lips.

“Can you look after Aki for me, um…”

“Call me Spy, Genius. Call me Spy.”

“I have to see if I can fix the power source, like right away. This whole place is in big trouble if we have a fire or something. There’s no power for ventilation. Plus I’d like to power up the surveillance and communication systems.”

“I’d love to sit with Aki while you’re busy.” She grinned, “We’ve become close friends, haven’t we?” The Spy tickled Aki’s side, prompting an involuntary giggle from the short girl.

“Aki, I’ll be as fast as I can, but this could take a long time.” Claire rested her hands on Aki’s shoulders, looking into her eyes. “If anyone fucks with you, the Spy and the Warrior will take care of you.”

“Okay.” Aki lowered her eyes.

“Stay away from the Judge and the Healer. You understand me?”

Aki nodded, leaning in to hug Claire.

Claire responded, encircling Aki and pressing her lips to the black hair atop her head. Claire’s nostrils drew in the musky scent to which she had become addicted. She pulled back and kissed Aki’s forehead before leaving.

#

The Chemist and Claire had descended into the cold damp of what Claire presumed to be one of the lowest levels of the vault. With her small flashlight in hand, Claire surveyed the corroded power system and its components, looking for some indication as to the base’s electrical design.

“You’ve been running on this emergency lighting for how long?”

“I’a been here ten years.” The Chemist lilted.

“So, there’s got to be a solar source, or maybe big batteries.” Claire thought out-loud as the narrow beam of her mini torch followed the largest conduit that fed into one of the power distribution panels. “Let’s follow this one.” She shook the spot at the end of the flashlight’s beam indicating to the Chemist the proper pipe in the vast network that clung to the high ceiling over them.

The two followed the riser down a small service shaft, clambering a crude steel ladder as they made their descent. They entered a cramped, hot little space. The rock walls of the cavity were rough and dark; the steel pipes that led from the stone floor to large cylindrical machines were orange with corrosion, dripping spots of rusty water onto the rough-hewn floor.

“It’s got to be geothermal. Or maybe there’s a reactor beneath us.” Claire mused as she inspected the layout of the system with her mini flashlight.

“Canna you make work?”

“I can try. Do you have any tools?” Claire paused, searching her memory for the right word, “Chiavi?”

The Chemist’s face lit up with the recognition of the term. “Sì. I take you to them.” She headed for the ladder that would lead them up and out of the cramped space.

#

The Spy had led Aki into a dim and desiccated area of the complex before disappearing from her sight. Aki had been wandering the dim corridors for some time, peeking into rooms, sometimes entering them to examine their contents. She had little luck finding a suitable present for Claire until she happened upon a dusty, old, decades-disused office with a rotted wooden bookcase. She headed for the rickety wooden shelves, trying to read the titles of the different dust-caked books that it held.

She closed her eyes and blew against the bindings, sending a plume of thick, musty filth into the air of the abandoned office. She regretted her ill-conceived action as she coughed for a few minutes as the dust settled. Her eyes squinted against the heavy cloud of particles that hung in the stale, motionless air that had been trapped in the forgotten room. She started to read the bindings of the books, finding nothing but procedural manuals, emergency management manuals, and radiological disaster planning guides. She sighed after spitting some bitter, dusty saliva onto the floor, wiping her mouth with her bare forearm.

Her expression brightened when she spotted a book, smaller than the rest, bound in crumbling leather, under a faded paper sleeve. She recognized the title, and knew that Claire would enjoy it a lot more than any of the stale government manuals among which it had been hidden.

She walked out of the office, closing the door behind her. She had accomplished her objective, and started searching for the Spy so that she could deliver the goods. She had lost her bearings in the hour of searching in the dim light. She tried her best to find her way back to the barracks where the others seemed to congregate. She made her way through a long, dark stretch that she did not remember from her journey into the fallow area. She started to panic, fearing herself lost, maybe in a part of the complex that the others did not even know about. Then she saw the glow in the distance.

She strolled toward the faint yellow light, distant and intriguing, inviting in the hope that she may not be as lost as she had feared. She saw the woman, seated on a large cushion beneath the warm glow of a solitary lamp. She could tell that despite the woman’s obvious blindness that she was aware of her presence. Aki stood in front of the woman.

“Hi.” She chirped, uncertain but friendly.

The woman did not respond.

“I’ll leave you alone.”

A faint moan emanated from the other. A sound that grew louder as Aki turned to walk away.

Aki stopped, turning back to the woman. “You want me to stay?”

A small, pathetic sound escaped the woman’s mouth.

“I’ll keep you company.” Aki smiled as she sat herself cross-legged on the floor in front of the woman. “I’m Aki Nashumara.” She said.

They sat for several minutes in silence. Aki fumbled with the jacket of the ancient book that she had found, hoping to give it to Claire as a present on the Spy’s behalf.

The woman in white made a soft noise as Aki stared at the inside cover of the dusty, old book.

“You want me to read it for you?” Aki asked, holding the book up to the blindness of the Seer.

Another faint sound led Aki to believe that the other liked the idea.

“It’s called ^The Adventures of Tom Sawyer^, by Mark Twain.” Aki started.

#

Claire was losing her patience. The geothermal power system was much more elaborate than she had expected for a system that was built in the 1970’s. She struggled with bolts that were rusted solid, wiring with crumbling insulation, and the lack of documentation for the antiquated system.

After several long hours, numerous cuts and bruises, and gallons of sweat that soaked her clothing, she was able to get the steam turbine to spin into motion, and start generating electricity. She stretched, her back and limbs damp and sore, her eyes fatigued by the low light, and her mind burdened with the prospect of leadership. She went to the panel of circuit breakers, checking bus voltages before transferring the facility to the generator that she had just repaired.

#

Aki had moved next to the Seer, sitting close to the spastic woman on the large vinyl cushion as she read. The sudden flashes of light above her and her new friend startled her.

“Claire must have fixed the generator thing.” Aki said, her tone excited.

She looked around the newly illuminated vault, her breath stolen, as she comprehended the immense size of the place. She saw someone approaching from the distance. She grew excited, hoping that it was Claire. She resumed her reading for the blind woman, knowing that the approaching person was still hundreds of meters away.

Minutes later, the Judge approached, clearing her throat. Aki paused her reading, smiling to the black-robed woman.

“Stay away from her.” The Judge commanded.

“I’m reading her a story.” Aki explained. “She got upset when I tried to leave, so I decided to stay with her. I think she’s lonely.”

“Nonsense. Now get away from her at once.”

Aki closed the old book with a gentle thud of its yellowed pages. She stood, starting to walk away from the Seer.

The Judge collapsed to the floor, clutching her head, gasping for breath. Aki stopped where she was and stood, watching.

“Are you okay?” Aki asked, “Should I get the Healer?”

The Judge did not answer, continuing to writhe in quiet agony.

#

The Spy staggered over to where she saw Claire on the floor. She struggled to speak through the painful assault that her brain was enduring.

“You have to stop this.” She gasped, rubbing her temples.

Claire nodded, her eyes clamped shut against the onslaught of torment that she and her sisters were agonizing under. She struggled to her feet, the Spy helping to lift her. The two half-walked, half-crawled, stumbling toward the distant part of the place where they knew the Seer to be.

A grueling fifteen minutes later, they came upon the sight of Aki standing over the squirming body of the Judge. The Seer lay on her side, drooling and moaning behind the Asian.

Claire had fallen to her knees, and crawled to the Seer. “You must stop. You’re…” Claire gulped, “You’re hurting us…” She pleaded, “Please, C-Cecilia.”

The pain continued.

“Aki will read some more.” Claire’s eyes pleaded to Aki.

Aki opened the book and started reading aloud again as she sat herself next to where the Seer lay. In a clumsy gesture, the Seer rested a hand on one of Aki’s legs, a faint smile across her features.

The sisters started to recover from their painful mental episodes. Claire crawled to where Aki and Cecilia were, extending a hand toward her palsied sister. Aki looked to Claire between sentences of her reading, concerned for her friend’s well being.

“Thank you, Cecilia.” Claire exhaled, squeezing her sister’s hand in gratitude. “Aki doesn’t have to leave you yet. She’ll finish the chapter, and we’ll both read some more for you later. Okay?”

Cecilia moaned in agreement her hand haphazardly stroking Aki’s leg as the Japanese continued to read from the classic book.

Claire rolled off the cushion and staggered to where the other two stood. She helped the Judge to stand. The three stood in silence as they recovered from the anguish that they had been enduring.

“Don’t ever do that again. Whatever it is that you did.” Claire whispered to the Judge.

“Your toy is a problem, Genius.” The Judge defended her stance.

“Don’t ever refer to her that way again.” Claire warned, “Cecilia might do that mind-fuck thing again if she senses your hostility.”

“And besides, she’s a human being.” The Spy added, looking to Claire for approval.

“Enough from both of you.” Claire looked to her sisters, angry. “It’s obvious that Cecilia wants Aki to keep her company. She has that charm about her.”

“Yes, she certainly does.” The Spy nodded, smiling to Claire.

Claire glowered at the sycophancy.

“Anyway, there’s no harm in it, right?” Claire asked, “Maybe it’s the story that she likes. We could take turns reading to her. Make it a ritual.”

“We cannot make such provisions. The Endeavor is our utmost and only concern.”

“The happiness of everyone in here is my concern.”

“That’s so admirable, Genius. It’s so considerate.”

Claire sighed, shaking her head. “We need to have a meeting.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:37 pm 
So claire's in charge? that's interesting. Her first order should be "stop being such bloody mentalists!" Then maybe she should tell the Warrior to kick the Judge's scrawny backside :devil

I was a rather grossed out by the spy. I mean come on, slpeeing with your clone has got to be even worse than sleeping with a sibling so :puke to that idea. I also don't like the way she, or any of the others treat Aki. I mean as bad as the world may be the last thing it needs is a group of people who think they're better than every one else.

I take it they haven't seen the flaw in their little plan. The fact that having each person designed for a particular role is pretty stupid. If anyone is seriously injurered or killed then their plan is fubar. As shown by the fact that had virtualy no power for the ten years that they were waiting for Claire. A little redundancy might have been a good idea.

I'm really enjoying this story and am looking forward to the next part

Anya in a wimple...I'd pay full admission for that. Gods Served And Abandoned - by Antigone Unbound

You know the worst thing about people in a relationship? The fact that they're in a relationship. - Hilda Spellman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:38 am 
Justin-

I'm glad that you found the Spy to be so repulsive. She's got some definite issues. I guess that's what happens when you're created to be the most shifty of the lot.

I'm also pleased that you've picked up on the inadequacies of the Endeavor. They certainly are a delusional bunch.

Poor little Aki-san is such a good person. Much better than any of the Goddesses that resent her presence. Maybe she'll teach them some humanity. They seem to have lost touch with any that they may have had.

Claire has her work cut out for her. The place is in disarray, supplies are short, and there's a coup in the making. She and Aki are going to be on 'America's Most Wanted' soon. What is she going to do?

The Judge may or may not deserve the ass-kicking that you're prescribing. Let's wait and see what the second most intelligent of the lot decides to do. She is the most delusional of the group. Will her intellect allow her to see that?

A lot has happened to Claire since we first met her. I wonder how her sister in Seattle is doing.

Looks like the Seer digs Aki. Maybe she digs the kindness. Maybe it's something else about her.

What if Aki was welcomed into the cadre? I'll bet that they'd give her a name like "The Snappy-Dresser", or "The Runt", or "The Sane One."

Thanks for the feedback. I really enjoy it, and I'm glad that you've gotten some pleasure from following the story.

Chapter 10 is coming soon.

-SQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:20 am 
Great update, as always!!

so.. Claire's the Genius? I can understand why the Judge feels that she might be the better man for the position of leader, considering Claire's only skills at the present are mostly mechanical. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, y'know? :)

Which makes me wonder, what is the Mother's plan afterall?

Ironically, despite them thinking they are the perfect Ones -- condemning sexuality etc -- methinks they're guilty of many human flaws (arroagnce, for one) and are completely void of human warmth.

In that aspect, I think they are less than human. And prolly explains why Claire's the Genius -- she seems to be the only person out of the many clones to actually understand what being human is about. The aspirations, love and passions.

Then, what is Sarah's role? Is she an anomaly, considering she has yet to be headhunted and brought to the fold, and that she's prolly the only one to enjoy a semblence of a normal life?

The way the rest of the clones treat their sister, the Seer, makes my skin crawl. :mad

Deliciously creepy. Am eagerly looking forward to the resolution! :laugh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 am 
Pee-

Thanks for the feedback:)

I love irony. I make no secret of that fact in this story.

I like the irony of the FBI agent proposing that Aki and Claire's trip to Seattle was just a coincidence, with regard to the suspicious proximity to the candidate's family's home. Aki can't say "Yes. Isn't that the funniest thing?", even though it's the truth behind the matter.

I like the irony of the Endeavor, touted to be a bold and flawless undertaking by the noblest of creatures, and instead we find a bunch of adult-sized adolescents creeping around in the dark, struggling to survive, let alone execute their grand scheme. No symbolism there. They are strange creatures indeed. raising each other through puberty and their teen years, Mother out of the picture forever. She instilled SOME good values in them at least. They all seem very literate and well-educated at least.

I also like the irony of Aki obtaining the gift for the selfish Spy, only to selflessly present it to the Seer, the one who's neglected by the others. I think that Cecilia deserves the present. Aki agrees.

Mrs. Berman will be appearing in the next chapter, so your questions about her role may be addressed in due time.

ALL-

If you're reading, please let me know what you think. Good, bad, indifferent, questions; I'd love to know.

Thanks,

-SQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:04 am 
Thanks for another excellent chapter.

Yes they do seem to have lost touch with humanity in general not just their own.

The Spy is pretty obnoxious, but in a wierd way I kinda like her, as she subverts the Judge in order to get what she wants. I'm wondering just how far she will go to get Claire to sleep with her... should be interesting:eek

Can't wait for the next installment.

Jill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:47 pm 
I've gotta agree with you, Jill. The Spy has a place close to my heart. I wouldn't have written her in here unless I thought that her viewpoint, no matter how it may disturb most readers, had some kind of redeeming purpose. In a world of non-sexual reproduction, is there such a thing as incest? Is our predilection to be disgusted by the very notion just a primitive throwback to sexual-reproduction functionality? Or is there a moral reason for our disgust at the Spy's proclivities? She is just a lonely misfit like the Genius, after all. I wanted the reader to think about the implications. They may be important to all of us some day...

Aside from that though, I'm glad that you've identified the power struggle that's beneath the surface. The Judge really didn't get a 'fair shake' in this chapter, but she is a little distraught by all of the goings-on behind her back on the part of the Spy and the Warrior, and as she feared, the Genius. I hope that she can find a way to agree with Claire.

I'll make no secret of it; I like the Judge. She's very deluded, but she's also a very warm person (in her own way) at times. She is the second smartest of the lot, and, possibly, the most resourceful, maybe even more so than the Spy.

Chapter 10 is getting tough for me. I actually finished the end of the story yesterday (YAY!), but I feel that the way that we get there could use some work (BOO!), and also Claire and Aki deserve a better break than the one that they currently get. I've grown very fond of some of the characters, so I'm trying to be as nice as possible to them, without making the story too happy. I'm sure that you've noticed, this isn't about sunshine, candy, and puppy dogs :)

Thanks for the feedback, Jill. I really appreciate it, and I'm glad to know that you're enjoying my story.

Cheers,

-SQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:28 pm 
But I like sunshine, candy, and puppy dogs.

I'm just kidding.

...sort of.

Now, I'm "delurking" ONLY because you asked me to do so. But I have nothing much to say besides...

I'm really enjoying this story?

Mmm... oh and I loved the Jersey diner comment that Claire made in Chapter 6. I'm a Jersey girl as well so I enjoyed that.

Which makes me wonder if you're from Jersey also? I spent a lot of time in Jersey City when I was younger. My father used to work at Christ Hospital. That was a few moons ago though so I really don't remember the area that well.

Hmm.

So, I'm really enjoy this story... and I'm waiting patiently for the next chapter.

...sort of.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:39 am 
Chewy Granola,

To quote a John Pizzarelli song:

I've been a lot of places,

Seen pictures of the rest,

But of all the places I can think of,

I like Jersey best.

:)

I've been in the old Garden State for my whole life. I worked in JC for a few years. Unfortunately, I worked right across the river (less than a mile) from the WTC when it all happened, so I got to see and smell a lot of things that I'd rather forget. Overall, though, I found that JC has a certain charm about it, so I chose it as the setting for the beginning of the story. It's a diverse landscape of urban decay, and shining decadence.

As for Jersey Diners, I have traveled a lot, and I have yet to find any state that can equal New Jersey when it comes to these. They're everywhere, they're relatively inexpensive, and they're such interesting places full of interesting people. Not that I go around making conversation with strangers, but I do like to watch them, wonder about their lives, and enjoy a good plate of french toast with 'bottomless' coffee :)

Don't get me wrong, other states have their respective fortes, and lots of great restaurants and tastes of their own, but there's something about those Jersey Diners... Claire and Aki, being Jersey girls, would have to mention this, as all Jersey-ans (Jersey-ites) that I've known are bound to when out of the Garden State.

Thanks for de-lurking to let me know that you're enjoying the story. I'm hoping to update sometime in the next two days.

-SQ

Post subject: Re: Latency - Chapter 10
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:45 am 
Here it is...

EIAAOIFs ;)

CHAPTER 10

Joshua Berman cradled his wife while he waited for the paramedics to arrive. Her head was propped in his lap where he sat on the floor of their living room. He stroked her hair, looking away from her only for brief moments, anxious for the arrival of the ambulance that he had summoned minutes after her collapse.

He had been worried about her ever since the day before, when she had fainted in their kitchen. He had doubted her story of clairvoyance then, and her most recent episode of anguish confirmed his fear. He knew now that she needed medical care.

A pair of medics had rushed into the open doorway, and set to work with their urgent examination of the unconscious woman. As they checked her pulse, listened to her breathing, and evaluated her pupils, she began to awaken.

“Ugh.” Sarah choked as she tried to speak.

“Can you hear me, ma’am?” One of the technicians asked, leaning over her face.

Sarah nodded.

Josh was at her side in an instant, clutching her hand, looking into her eyes. “Sarah, honey.” He looked into her eyes. “We’re taking you to the hospital, honey.” He was unaware of the person standing behind him.

Sarah shook her head, trying to vocalize her protest. “Aki.”

Josh shook his head. “Aki?”

“What about Aki?” A voice asked from behind Josh.

He turned to see a figure in a long gray trench coat standing behind him. His eyes followed up the length of the person to behold the person’s face.

“Barry.” Josh said, “It’s not a good time right now.” He gestured toward his prostrate wife.

“It’s a great time for some answers, wouldn’t you agree old friend?” Schon knelt next to Josh at Sarah’s side. “What about Aki, Sarah?”

“She’s alright. She’s reading to me. I can feel her.”

Josh deflated as he heard the nonsensical string of sentences.

“She was taking her away.” Sarah gulped, “I wanted her to stay.”

“Where is Galloway, Sarah?” Schon asked.

“She stopped them.” Sarah answered.

The paramedics nudged Josh and aside as they prepared to lift his wife onto a stretcher. He followed them out to the ambulance, Barry just behind him.

“Come on, Josh-meister. We’ll follow them in my car.” Schon said, resting his hand on his friend’s shoulder. “I can fill you in.”

#

Claire had dismissed the others. She sat on the floor, holding her head in her hands, her legs crossed, with her back to Aki and the Seer. Her brain hurt; the painful aftermath of Cecilia’s protest had not yet faded. She listened to the endearing sound of Aki reading aloud for the challenged sister. Claire smiled through her headache as she heard the subtle, amusing, and often compelling voices that Aki used to convey the story, trying to bring it to life for her appreciative audience.

Aki finished the chapter and closed the book. She brushed the Seer’s cheek with her fingertips in a gentle caress that brought a trace of a smile to the blind woman. “We’ll find out more about Potter and Injun Joe later.” She smiled to the Seer as she slid off the cushion.

She crawled up behind Claire, wrapping her arms around her seated friend. “You’re all wet.” Her cheek brushed against the dampness of the hair on the back of Claire’s head.

“Don’t touch me. I’m all sweaty and dirty.” Claire said.

“I don’t mind Claire-sweat.” Aki leaned her face against the salty clamminess of Claire’s neck. “What happened?”

“You’ve met the Seer.” Claire started, “She has a connection with us. She can communicate with us using her mind.”

“She got pissed off, hugh?”

“She was so angry.” Claire drew a deep breath, “She likes you a lot. She can’t hear your thoughts, only your voice. It makes her feel normal.”

“What else does she think about me?” Aki grew curious.

“She thinks that you’re funny. She likes the way that you read. Especially the southern accents.”

Aki chuckled.

“She likes how you treat her. Like a person. She’s never had that before.” Claire turned herself around to face Aki. “You really are a wonderful person, Aki Nashumara, you know that?”

“I just thought that she needed some company.” Aki blushed, “Why is she kept away from the others?”

“I don’t know. I’m going to change that.”

“The Judge seems like a real hard-ass. You think that she’ll listen?”

“I’m supposed to be the one in charge.” Claire gave Aki a weak smile.

“So we’re not leaving any time soon then?” Aki’s voice was sad.

“I want to leave. I want to hide. I want us to find somewhere safe and quiet. Somewhere that we can just live our lives.” Claire’s voice rose as did her emotions during the speech.

“Me too.” Aki’s addition was soft, “We can’t stay here.”

“I may have to stay here.” Claire turned away from Aki again.

“Why?”

“Look around. This place is falling apart. They’re eating, like, a cracker a day, they’re neglecting Cecilia, they’re all fighting amongst themselves. They need a leader.”

“No, they don’t. They deserve to live like this. You don’t.” Aki kissed the back of Claire’s neck. “We should be back in JC. We should be having tea together in my mother’s garden, under the artificial sunlight. We should be racing up Montgomery Street on Mike’s DMW. We should take our lunch break together, every day. I could sleep over at your place; heat your breakfast for you. I could buy you outfits and watch you try them on.”

Claire smiled as she considered Aki’s proposal.

Aki continued, “We could be sitting on a bench on the waterfront, eating a big bag of salty French fries together, watching the ferry boats and helicopters buzzing around lower Manhattan.”

Claire closed her eyes. Her voice became wistful, “I can picture it, you know.” She remained silent for some time before speaking again. “It’s windy. Our napkins blew away.” Claire smiled as her imagination painted the scene behind her eyelids, “I’m licking the salt from your fingers. I’m tasting it on your lips.” Her voice was distant.

Aki was breathless. Her stomach was tingling after hearing Claire’s unexpected account of their hypothetical date. She spoke against the side of Claire’s neck, kissing it between sentences, “Let’s just go back home. We’ll be happy there.”

Claire knew that it would be impossible, but the notion itself brought her a glint of cheerfulness. “I wish it was that simple.”

“We could take the Seer with us. My mother would take care of her. She’d love the company of another visionary.”

“It’s a lot more complicated than that, Aki-san.” Claire pulled free from Aki’s encircling arms, turning to face her. “From what you said, I’m a wanted woman. I can’t go back.”

Aki sighed. Her eyes lowered.

“It’s fate telling me that I should stay here.” Claire said.

“Then fate is telling me that I should stay with you.”

“No. There’s no life for you here.” Claire shook her head.

“I could do your laundry.” Aki tugged at Claire’s T-shirt that was soaked with rust and sweat. “I could take care of Cecilia. I can do a lot of things around here.”

Claire leaned forward, cupping Aki’s cheeks between her palms, placing a dry, gentle kiss on her forehead. “I’m going to see what they do to bathe around here. I feel disgusting.”

“I think it’s kind of sexy.” Aki raised an eyebrow as Claire strained to stand. “You look all rugged like that.”

Claire smiled at the compliment. “Thanks for saying so, but I really need a shower.”

Aki chose to stay with Cecilia. She watched the taller girl shrink into the great distance that lay between the Seer’s spot and the barracks. Her throat was sore and her eyes were weary from reading to Cecilia, so Aki decided to lie on the cushion next to the blind woman. She closed her eyes, her breathing slowed, and a peaceful nap overtook her.

#

Claire entered the infirmary; her sudden presence startled the Healer who had been concentrating on a task that her long white coat had concealed from Claire’s view. She smiled to her smartest sister as she approached.

“I knew that you could do it.” She pulled her glasses from her face, smiling to Claire. “You are truly amazing, Genius.”

Claire raised her eyebrows at the unexpected compliment and friendliness of the one who had seemed adversarial before. “You mean the power system?”

“No. I mean dealing with Cecilia. She’s very hard to please.”

“Aki’s the one who pleases her.”

“Yes, she’s never been so happy.” The Healer sighed. “I’ve been taking care of her for nearly twelve years, Genius. I feed her, I wash her, I’ve tried to comfort her, but I’ve never been able to reach her the way that your lover has.” The Healer’s voice wavered, “I can feel her happiness. Something that I could never give her all of this time.”

“She’s not my lover.” Claire sighed.

“Cecilia felt it, her love for you. We all felt it. You’re denying yourself of it.”

“I am not denying it.” Claire snapped.

The Healer cackled, her eyes starting to tear from laughter.

“What do you for bathing around here?” Claire asked, her hands resting on her hips as she waited for the other’s amusement to wane.

“There’re showers in the next room.” The Healer opened a cabinet and tossed a white object to Claire. “Here’s some soap.”

“Thanks.” Claire turned to leave the room.

“Genius,” The Healer’s words stopped Claire’s departure, “I’m sorry about being so mean, to Aki. We were all led to believe that she was a danger to us.”

“By whom?”

The Healer looked around the area before leaning toward Claire, whispering, “The Spy and the Warrior. Please tell her that I’m sorry. She probably thinks I’m an asshole. I’m sure that you do.”

“Why would they say that about her? They brought her here.”

“There’s a storm brewing, Genius. I don’t understand what they’re up to, but it’s definitely not good.”

“Thanks for the warning.” Claire smirked; her disbelief was evident to the Healer.

Her body now slick with cold foam, Claire shivered next to a frigid stream of water in the stall. She hurried through the much-needed ablution, trying to minimize her exposure to the cold water yet cleanse herself as thoroughly as possible. As she toweled herself dry, she decided that the water heating system, if the Technotheon had one, needed to be repaired next.

She wrapped herself in the wet towel, and headed across the hall into the barracks where her luggage held her clothes. After changing, she decided to find Aki, and let her know about the cold-water situation. She felt bad for the gentler, younger woman, having to take such prison-style showers.

#

Aki stirred at the sensation of tilting forward as someone rested herself on the cushion in front of her. She opened her eyes when she felt their hand rest on her upturned shoulder. She expected to see Claire, but was surprised to see the Judge smiling down upon her. She started to pull away, but the Judge held her still, continuing to smile.

“Aki Nashumara, I am sorry. I have been very unfair to you.”

“That’s okay.” Aki offered, smiling despite her mistrust of the apology.

“No, it is not.” The Judge leaned down, placing a chaste kiss on Aki’s cheek. “Please, forgive us all for mistreating you. I am apologizing on behalf everyone.”

“Okay.” Aki smirked.

“I have brought myself to realize that your presence is a gift. I was blind to the fact before, but the Seer, Cecilia showed that to all of us.”

“Is this about having a soul or something?”

“Perhaps. I have realized that you embody the kindness that Mother strove to nurture.”

“Hugh?”

“The Seer is aware of your kindness. Through her, we have all become enlightened in the past, and this is no exception. My judgment has become somewhat jaded in the past several years. I have behaved irresponsibly. Your spouse is to be the leader, and now I can see why that is to be so.”

“Spouse?”

“Isn’t that what she is? When two are drawn together like yourselves are they not spouses?”

“No. We’d have to be married to be each other’s spouses.”

“Then why are you not married to the Genius?”

“Um, it’s kind of soon for that.”

“Nonsense. She is destined to be your wife.”

“I kind of thought that I was the wife.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Well, I’m the one who, kind of, does all of the taking-care-of stuff.”

“And you do that so well, with your patience and compassion.”

“She’s special to me.”

“As you are to her. That is why I am so confused by this lack of commitment.”

“We’re committed, I think.”

“You have not demonstrated your fealty to her yet?”

“If you mean give her a ring, no.”

“No, I meant pleasuring her sexually.”

Aki blushed bright red at the Judge’s statement.

“You need not be embarrassed, Aki Nashumara. Her sexual fulfillment, no matter how primitive, is not a matter of shame; it is your satisfaction.”

“Um… could we talk about something else?”

“It’s no secret, my dear. Cecilia relayed your lustful, charming thoughts to all of us. It is the strength of those impulses that alarmed me so, and I regret my reactionary stance of before. I have grown to understand the purity and beautiful complexity of your feelings.”

“Claire said that Cecilia couldn’t read my thoughts.”

The Judge chuckled. “My dear, she can peruse any mind, as easily as you can read the book that you’re holding. Perhaps the Genius was trying to show respect for your privacy.”

“She’s gonna get it. Later.”

“She will be pleased to know that, I’m sure.” The Judge smiled.

“No. She’s not getting ^that^.” Aki’s brow furrowed.

#

“I’ve gotta be honest, Josh, I didn’t know what to think when I saw your wife’s twin on that surveillance feed yesterday. I couldn’t believe that someone could look so much like her. I thought that it was some kind of prank, you know, to get back at me for stealing Suzie, when we were in college.”

“Yeah, I guess that they were separated at birth.”

“We both know that there’s more to it than that, man.” Schon narrowed his eyes, “Galloway is part of something. Something big.”

“So, you think that Sarah’s sister is responsible for the signal that the Chinese detected. Impossible.”

“Why?”

“She’s so deranged. She couldn’t hatch a plot against anyone. She’s harmless.”

“You said that you tried to keep her with you and Sarah. She’s gotta be pretty devious to foil an old fox like you, Josh.”

Josh sighed. “I was sloppy, I guess. I thought that I had everything under control.”

“You should have come to me sooner, man.” Schon shifted in the vinyl seat of the hospital’s waiting area. “We could have stopped all of this before it got ugly.”

“What do you mean, ugly?”

Schon sighed. “I have to answer to people, Josh. My dick is in the vice on this one.”

“I don’t understand.”

“There has been an unconfirmed rumor for many years. A rumor about a secret group of special abilities, and your wife’s,” Schon raised his fingers to illustrate quotation marks, “twin is one of them.”

Josh shook his head.

“They are bent on destroying society, my friend. They want to make all of this crumble. They want anarchy. They see the government as an enemy of the people.”

“With all due respect, Barry, Claire’s not like that.”

“Yesterday, I found out that one of theirs has been operating inside the ODHS. The bitch falsified documents, forged my print, and used my name to get a Navy helicopter and kidnap Nashumara. Now she’s disappeared. We’re still looking for her agency car. It was last sighted heading toward Montana. She’s clever.”

“Can’t find her now?”

“No, we know exactly where they are. She thought that she could throw us off her trail. She did. But someone else has shown us where they’ve been hiding.”

“Who?”

“The Chinese.”

“So that whole State Department fiasco that you’ve been going on about all morning, that’s about Claire?”

Schon nodded.

The two sat in silence for several minutes. Sarah’s doctor approached them, sitting next to Josh as she spoke of his wife’s examination.

“Mr. Berman, your wife appears to be in perfect health.” She started, discouraged by his confused expression, “Her SGT scan, MET scan, and all other tests have shown nothing at all to worry about.”

“But then why has she been fainting?”

“Your wife has been under a lot of stress lately. Her records show that she was wounded in a bombing, and she may be reacting to the stress and horror of it all.”

“So, there’s nothing wrong with her?”

“No tumors, bleeds, aneurisms, signs of stroke, abnormal chemistry, nothing.” She smiled. “Believe me, sir, I checked everything. Your wife needs to relax a little. I’m going to recommend psychological counseling, to help her deal with the tragedy.”

“Thank you, Doctor Bailey.” Relief crossed Josh’s face. “Can I see her now?”

“She’s coming to get you in a few minutes.” The doctor stood, nodding to the two gentlemen. “I authorized her discharge a few minutes ago.”

“Thank you, doctor.” Josh sighed with relief.

#

The Judge walked just in front of Aki as they made their way through the large expanse of what Aki assumed to be a hangar, due to its enormous scale. The Judge looked back to the Asian on occasion, making sure that the pace of her longer legs was not too fast for the shorter woman.

“What contact have you had with the Spy since your arrival, my dear?”

“Too much.” Aki sighed. “She’s, kind of, scary… to me, at least. She gave me some food this morning.”

“Have you eaten it?”

“No. I’m giving it to Claire. She went hungry because of me, so I saved it for her.”

“Give it to me, please.”

“Why should I?”

“She is very dangerous, Aki. Make no mistake about that. Your ration is probably poisoned.”

Aki stopped in her tracks, “Poisoned?”

The Judge stopped, turning to face Aki, extending her hand. “Please, little one, give it to me.”

Aki reached inside her dusty blazer, handing the silvery square to the Judge. “What did I do to her?”

“She is deranged, dear Aki. She has misguided intentions. She and the Warrior have conspired against all of us, bringing you here.”

“She said that I was a present for Claire.”

The Judge rested a hand on Aki’s shoulder, looking into her eyes for a moment before speaking. “You, my dear, are nothing but a catalyst in their eyes. I imagine that they would try to make your death appear as the Healer’s handiwork.”

Aki looked around, nervous. “My death?”

The Judge pulled Aki against her, stroking the smaller woman’s back. “The Spy had persuaded all of us. Her purpose is to be convincing.”

“I don’t understand.”

“She asserted to me that you were dangerous. She has been lying to all of us about you. She wants you gone, Aki.”

“Why?”

“I do not know.” She released her embrace of the Japanese. “I know that her original plan has failed.”

“What was that?”

“To make the Genius her puppet.”

“How will killing me do that?”

“The Healer would have been the one to kill you, as she would have made it appear. The Genius would have exiled her, out of passion for you.”

“What if the Spy is working for someone?”

“I don’t understand, my dear.”

“What if she’s trying to sabotage your work?”

“I have often wondered that myself, little one. She has never gotten along with the others, except for the Warrior. When she rescued Dianne, she kept her apart from the rest of us for some weeks, hoping to foster an impression upon her. I fear that her incredible powers of influence and deception have worked too well on our Warrior.”

“Um, Judge, I…”

“You may call me Evelyn, my dear.”

“I don’t mean to sound, like, ungrateful, but maybe it would be better if Claire and I just leave.”

“That decision is entirely between the two of you.” The Judge smiled. “I would like for you both to stay, and now that the Seer has broadcasted your true feelings to the sisters, I imagine that I am not the only one to feel that way. As I stated before, Aki, you are a gift, not just for the Genius.”

They both looked to a black-clad figure approaching from the distance. Aki recognized the outfit that she had bought for Claire, shining under the white lighting that reflected from the pillars and ceiling of the large, domed expanse. They waited for her to reach them.

“She’s not being too much trouble, is she?” Claire asked as she met them.

“Not at all, Genius.” The Judge smiled.

“I wasn’t talking to you.” Claire said, her expression blank. She looked to Aki, surprised that she was not amused.

“I am sorry, Claire. I believe that Aki has accepted my apology, and I hope that you will as well.”

“Sure.” Claire nodded to the Judge.

“I will leave you two then. I am certain that Ms. Nashumara has much to discuss with you, Genius.” The Judge brushed the top of Aki’s head before turning and walking into the distance.

“What’s wrong?” Claire asked Aki after the Judge had increased her distance from the two.

“Nothing.” Aki folded her arms, staring at the floor.

“What did she say to you?”

“Oh, a little of this, a little of that.” Aki’s tone was confrontational.

“Like what?”

“Why did you tell me that Cecilia couldn’t read my thoughts?”

“She can’t. That’s why.” Claire’s voice assumed a defensive inflection.

“She can. You knew it. They all know.” Aki huffed. “Why did you lie to me like that?”

“I was trying to be nice. I know that you’re under a lot of stress here. I didn’t want you to know that…”

“That my thoughts and feelings are public property?” Aki interrupted. “You thought that it’d be okay if my tiny little brain was violated. Maybe my feelings gave you and the others a good laugh.”

“No. You’re wrong.”

“Of course I am. I’m just a stupid little chimpanzee. How could I possibly fathom the vast wisdom of the supreme Genius?”

Claire tried to pull Aki into a hug. The smaller woman struggled free, glaring back at Claire.

“What else have you lied to me about?” Aki asked.

“Nothing. I swear.”

“What about our secret trip? You wouldn’t tell me what that was all about. What about being a clone? I was the last person to find out about that. What about the Spy being in love with you? You were going to keep that a secret too, hugh?”

Claire sighed. “You don’t think that I feel ashamed? You don’t think that it hurts? You think that I want to ruin the closest relationship that I’ve ever had to anyone? You don’t think that it hurts to watch all of this happen, beyond my control?”

“It is in your control.” Aki looked to Claire, her expression softened. “You don’t have a lot of control, do you?”

“I was just trying to protect you. I didn’t want you to get embarrassed, or feel ashamed. Your thoughts made me, kind of, tingly. I started, like, breathing funny, you know?”

“Did they?” Aki’s expression softened further.

“I liked to know that you were thinking of me that way. I was afraid that if you knew, you’d stop.”

In a sudden realization, Aki discovered that Claire’s mouth was inches from her own. Their bodies were touching, a light contact at certain points. She closed her eyes and stood on her toes, her lips reaching for Claire’s.

Claire felt the electric thrill of their contact. Aki’s lips were soft and sweet, like the flesh of ripe fruit. Their warm, wet smoothness captivated Claire’s senses. They felt demure, cautious, yet inviting. Their tender movement across Claire’s mouth was a simple delight of which the Genius knew that she had deprived herself for too long.

Aki thrilled at the clumsy, sloppy innocence of Claire’s kiss. She savored the long-awaited sensation of the woman’s mouth against hers. She guided the taller girl’s timid affections with gentle, slight motion and pressure. She used her lips to teach a silent lesson in sensuality to the awkward girl that held her so tightly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:53 am 
That was very interesting.

The Judge was a lot more likeable in this part. While the spy is turing out to be the bad apple of the bunch. That is as long as The Judge was telling the truth about the food being poisoned, though I can't see any reason for her to lie.

It seems the spy was lying about the others thinking sex was wrong, as none of them seemed upset by Aki's feelings for Claire.

Though I do feel some sympathy for her since as you mentioned she was designed to be sneaky and underhand. As Jessica Rabbit said, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn this way."

Though I guess that also explains why the judge was so judgemental. Which is just further evidence as to why it was a bad idea to design each person for a single role. All things considered their mother mayhave been a genius but she wasn't too bright.

There's still the question of how Sarah fits into all this. At the moment I have no idea, though it does seem coincidental that she's married to someone with connections with the ODHS.

I'm looking forward to readin more.

I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.
- mad world

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:14 am 
Hey SQ! Phew, finally caught up, I've been lagging a wee bit. Hmm I'm liking the judge slightly better now, hopefully she remains this way. As for the relationship between Claire and Aki, I'm glad to see the direction it's heading. There's still much mystery to be solved here in this story and I shall be good and wait patiently, but for now all I'm saying is, I'm lovin' it! :D

Cassie

I don't mind being alone

I just don't want to be alone without you

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:43 am 
Hey SQ, I’m loving your story/novel. Great twists and turns as well as character representation. I’m hooked. I only discovered your story a couple of days ago, which is good because I don’t think I could've waited for each installment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:03 am 
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I enjoy so much the observations and comments that you all share with me.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have finished this story, but I'm not pleased with the arc of the plot, the outcomes for some of the characters, and the resolution(s) of some of the hanging issues and elements. I am rewriting the ending, and all of the chapters that lead up to it. I will release some of those chapters soon, so please be patient with me.

Justin isn't helping a bit with the release of Ever After ;) I've been spending too much time thinking about that world and its characters instead of my own. Its so good though, I can't put it aside. I'll try, patient readers, I'll try.

As you can probably tell, the story is fast approaching its climax. There's a lot of action and suspense and some sadness on the way. Since these are powerful elements to the story, I'm trying to handle them as best I can, but my pervasive dissatisfaction with the end-result is making it very difficult for me to move from one scene to the next. I've ended up trashing a lot of stuff (about 35 pages-worth so far) only to rewrite it and trash it again. I read somewhere that writers are masochists. I will not dispute the validity of that assertion.

In this DVD age that we are living in, I have decided to try something a little different for you, the patient readers. When the story is over, I will post some (literally) deleted scenes and outtakes, and scenes that reflect a different arc, but were not used. You may get a kick out of them :)

I hope to post chapter 11 in the next two days. Your patience will be rewarded.

Thanks again,

-SQ

Post subject: Re: Latency - Chapter 11a
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:03 pm 
At long last...

I have raised, red welts across my back, thanks to Justin :)

Yes, the "a" indicates that there will be a "b" coming soon.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. The job that pays my bills has been a little more demanding of my time than usual lately, so I haven’t gotten to devote as much time to the story as I would have liked. Here’s the first part of chapter 11 for your enjoyment…

As always, EIAAOIFs :)

-SQ

CHAPTER 11a

They walked together, holding hands. Claire slowed her pace to match that of her companion’s shorter legs as they made their way to the communication center of the complex. Once there, Claire set to work trying to figure out the various systems and applying power to them.

Aki wanted to stay out of the way. She wheeled a dusty chair to the center of the room, in front of a large control console. She brushed off the seat as best she could and perched herself, watching Claire’s efforts with wistful admiration. Her mind was busy replaying the moment of spontaneous affection that they had shared earlier.

Lights glowed, needles moved, display screens flickered and whined into operation as Claire began to apply power to the components that filled the outer walls of the vast white room. She found an old computer and took a moment to marvel at the primitive box. She turned to where Aki was sitting, smiling as she pointed to the old beige machine.

“Check it out. We’re in a museum.”

“What the hell is that?” Aki raised an eyebrow as she regarded the machine that Claire had blown the dust from.

“Believe it or not, it’s an Admiral two-E.”

“Admiral made computers back then too?”

Claire nodded.

“So that’s, like, an Internet-age terminal?”

Claire shook her head. “This is from before the Internet. I don’t even think it has color.”

Aki smiled to Claire. “So is everything working out the way you want it to?”

“Well, the power system seems stable, a lot of these boxes run on vacuum tubes, so we’ll have to wait for them to warm up before we can start fucking around with them…”

“I meant with us.” Aki interrupted.

“Oh.” Claire paused. “I guess so. I… didn’t think about it…” Claire shook her head, “I mean I think about it,” Claire smiled, “I can’t stop thinking about it, actually.” Claire flashed a brief, uneasy smile to Aki before turning back to the machines that she had activated.

“So whatchya think, Genius?” Aki smirked. Her legs swung back and forth, as they dangled over the edge of the tall chair.

“I think that I need some practice, you know… and stuff.” Claire blushed at her own admission.

“I can help you with that.”

“Later, Aki-san.”

“Nashumara-san.”

“Oh. Right.” Claire looked back to Aki for a brief moment.

“Aki-san is okay too.” She pushed against the console, forcing her chair to roll over to where Claire stood, bumping into the taller girl’s leg to stop. “But for you only, Galloway-san.”

Claire grinned.

#

Sarah and Josh rode in the back of the well-appointed Omaha Statesman sedan. Barry Schon was at the wheel of the government-issue luxury car. He spoke to them while concentrating on the road ahead as they proceeded toward the Berman homestead.

“So, you’re feeling better Sarah?”

“Yes, thanks.” She stroked her husband’s arm as she addressed their driver.

“Glad to hear it.” Schon started, “How’s your sister?”

Sarah turned to Josh, her eyes questioning.

Josh nodded to her, acknowledging that their old friend knew.

“I don’t know.”

“You said that she was with Nashumara. You said that she stopped something.” Schon cleared his throat, “Would you care to elaborate on that?”

Sarah was quiet for a few moments, “I don’t remember much. It was probably just a hallucination.”

“Josh, do you want to tell her about the Chinese?”

Sarah turned to her husband, looking for clarification.

“Claire may have been responsible for something, honey.” He paused, “Something that caused a lot of trouble for our State Department earlier.”

“Someone has turned up a power system in an abandoned Civil Defense base. When the power was restored, a low frequency beacon was transmitted into space. We don’t monitor those bands anymore, they’re mostly full of analog garbage and noise. The Chinese, however, their satellites picked it up right away. They knew that it was a distress signal from a CD base.”

“So what’s the big deal about a distress signal?” Sarah asked, “Wouldn’t they just send help or something?”

“Years and years ago, this signal indicated that a nuclear attack had taken place. If the beacon lost power, and then had it restored, it would send out the signal to indicate the facility’s status to any others that may have survived.”

“So? There hasn’t been a nuclear attack, why do the Chinese care?”

“They know where the signal came from. We kept a lot of places like that secret from them and the Soviets back in the Eighties. They caught us in a lie, you see. A breach of treaty.” Schon paused as he checked the side mirror, attempting to pass a slower-moving car ahead of them. “Not a good thing in the middle of WMD reduction talks.”

“How do you know that Claire did it?”

“A guess, Sarah. A guess.” Schon smiled. “There’s been a rumor about a group of subversives that’s going to try to cause some chaos. A group of subversives who all share the same identity.” Schon’s eyes contacted Sarah’s in the rearview mirror, “A group that came into being around the time that you were born.”

Sarah remained silent. She looked away from Schon’s eyes quickly. She shifted in the leather seat of the luxurious Statesman.

“I think that a member of that group stole Nashumara from the FBI. She’d been working for the ODHS for about a year now. She was headed in the direction of that distress signal’s origin… with your sister’s friend.”

Sarah remained quiet, her expression blank.

“Don’t you want to know where your sister is, Sarah?”

Sarah shook her head, silent.

“She’s in Wyoming. I think that she may have some company.”

Silence elapsed.

“I want you to introduce me to them, Sarah.”

“Why me?” Sarah’s discomfort was visible.

“Hear him out, honey.” Josh wrapped his arm around Sarah, attempting to soothe her.

“Because you’re part of their family. They’ll trust you.”

Sarah sighed. She closed her eyes, trying to cope with the newest bit of intrigue that had disrupted her normally quiet life.

“Please, Sarah. Your country is counting on your cooperation.” Schon pleaded.

#

“Attention please. I ask for your attention.” Sounded from above where the Healer, Chemist, and Spy were sitting.

“The Genius requests the presence of all personnel in the canteen, please proceed there at once, expeditiously.” The announcement ended with giggling.

The Judge entered the room where the other three were sitting in wonder at the strange overhead message.

“What is the meaning of this?” The Judge asked the others.

“I think that the Genius got the communication systems working.” The Healer smiled.

“Who was that, on the public address system?” The Judge asked.

The other three looked to her, grinning and chortling.

#

Claire had turned red with laughter, her arm around Aki as the Asian put down the microphone. They giggled together for nearly a minute before the laughter subsided enough for Aki to speak.

“You like that, hugh?”

“You sounded just like her.” Claire kissed Aki’s forehead. “You’re quite the little mimic.”

“Do you think she’ll be pissed?”

Claire shook her head. “Nah. She’s got a sense of humor. Let’s go meet with the others.”

#

They were all gathered in the mess hall. The Warrior had wheeled the Seer up to the table, next to the Chemist. Claire and Aki had seated themselves next to the Judge, as the others waited patiently for the meeting to start.

“Genius?” The Healer asked.

“Yeah?”

“Could we make this fast? Cecilia can’t be around all of us for too long. She gets really upset.”

“We’ll keep it short. I promise.”

Claire rose to address the rest.

“Thank you all for being here.” She started, realizing the stupidity of her preamble after saying it. “We have some issues to discuss, as a group. I want to hear everyone’s input. You’re all experts and…” Claire stopped. Her growing embarrassment was becoming too powerful.

“It’s alright, Genius. We know that you’re new to this.” The Spy offered, smiling.

Claire nodded to the shifty one. “First on the agenda, no one is to poison Aki.”

The others all turned to the Spy, waiting for her reaction.

“What?” The Spy asked, incredulous.

“This.” The Judge slid the meal square across the table toward the Spy. “You gave it to the Lover, earlier today, I believe.”

“The what?” Aki grimaced, blushing.

The Spy unwrapped the food and proceeded to eat it. “Yeah, so? I’m a generous person, what can I tell you?”

Claire deflated at the demonstration. “Look, we have to start working together. I don’t want anymore bullshit, okay?”

Silence.

“Okay?” Claire raised her voice.

The others gave their concordance through grumbles and nods.

“We are a team. We have to work together to make this place…”

“Operational?” The Healer offered.

“Yes, for whatever it is that we’re trying to do.” Claire nodded in thanks to the Healer for her assistance. “What was that again?”

“Well, the Chemist and I have continued Mother’s research in the life-age solution, and we’ve made a breakthrough.” The Healer glanced to the Chemist, smiling as she spoke. “We have a full understanding of mitochondrial metabolic entropy, and how to regulate it. Now that you’ve restored power, Genius, we can synthesize the necessary serum to promote our longevity.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Claire shook her head.

“Mother’s research, we’ve continued it.” The Healer said, “She solved the life-age dilemma. That’s why our cells started at age zero when we were formulated. Advanced aging has always been a problem when replicating adult tissue. Mother solved that. She figured out how to reset the latent processes that determine cell age.”

“So you and the Chemist know how to manipulate our cellular clocks?”

“Basically, yes.” The Healer smiled.

“So, we have to find the Four Aces. Before it’s too late.” The Warrior interjected.

The Spy slammed the top of the table with her fist, glaring at the Warrior. “Damn it, Dianne!” The Spy narrowed her eyes, leering at the Warrior.

“Four Aces?” Claire asked.

“What is she talking about, Spy?” The Judge leaned over the table, inclining herself toward the other black-clad sister.

Tense silence passed for a few moments.

“Wild cards.” Aki spoke in a soft voice.

“Yes, Lover, that’s correct.” The Spy affirmed.

Claire and Aki looked to each other for several seconds as the Warrior continued her earlier thought.

“We have to find them soon. That should be our first priority.”

“Where do you think that they are?” Claire asked.

“Probably scattered, like the rest of us were. South America, Europe, Russia, Oceania. Anywhere that they could have been sewn without suspicion.”

“Why did Mother not mention these… Aces to me?” The Judge shifted in her seat, looking at the table’s surface with a blank expression.

“Because she hated you, you vapid cow.” The Spy snapped.

“Enough!” Claire pounded the table.

“Why haven’t you looked for them before?” Aki asked.

“We wanted to get the whole team together first, Lover.” The Spy informed Aki. “If we couldn’t, then we needed to seek out the Aces. Mother hid them really well, I’d imagine.”

“Once we find them, then we can…?” Claire raised her hands, indicating her uncertainty.

“We can spice them up, with the Healer’s serum.” The Warrior answered.

“With them, we can accelerate the Endeavor. We can start to populate the Earth. We can gain control of the public offices, we can change the policies.” The Spy added.

“Don’t get me wrong here, I like the idea of a planet full of Claires, but isn’t that…”

The Judge laughed at Aki’s comment, “Yes, I imagine that you would, but that is not the purpose of the Endeavor, my dear. We are not replicating ourselves, we shall replicate all females, such as yourself.”

“Again, a world full of women doesn’t sound like a bad idea to me either, but why?”

“To end war. To stop barbarism. To stem the tide of avarice and cruelty that has overtaken this troubled species for thousands of years.” The Judge rested a hand on Aki’s shoulder before asking, “Would you kill me, Lover? Would you send legions of your own against mine? Would you seek to destroy others for their land, or their ideology?”

Aki shook her head. “But…”

“Would a male do such a thing?”

Aki nodded, “But not all men. Most of them aren’t like that.”

“I want to believe you, Lover, but history itself contradicts your statement.”

“But what about men of peace?” Claire asked, “What about men of science and learning?”

“They do not matter anymore, Genius.” The Judge turned to Claire, “They have had the chance to create a peaceful existence for thousands of years, and they have failed. Despite their best efforts, in more recent history, they have brought the human species to the brink of extinction three times. They can no longer be allowed to rule our planet and our people. They are primitive and irresponsible. They are reactionary and violent. They lack the nurturing spirit that the females of the world have preserved under millennia of their tyranny.”

“She has a point, Genius.” Aki smirked.

“It’s fucking called evolution, sweetey.” The Spy asserted, “It’s just as natural as crawling from the sea, learning how to fly, or landing on the moon.”

“Or to’a stop the aging.” The Chemist interjected.

“We should start making the serum now.” The Healer stood as she proposed the idea.

Claire shook her head. “We’ll finish this meeting first. Then we can discuss this life-age control stuff.”

“There’s no discussion. We have it. Let’s use it.” The Healer snapped.

“Listen, you are all the best at what you do, I have no doubt about that. I think that we need to…” Claire searched for the right phrase, “Grow up. We’re all messed up. We need to start acting like adults, and making decisions like adults, otherwise we’re not going to get anything done.”

“Speak for yourself, Genius.” The Warrior chimed. “I’ve been an adult for a while.”

“No you haven’t.” The Spy snapped. “Just two years ago, you were still crying yourself to sleep because we took you away from what’s-his-name. You’re a whining little baby. And you can’t keep secrets.”

“You should talk, Spy.” The Judge spat, “You have done nothing but cause trouble and undermine the Endeavor ever since you were twelve. Mother warned me about your jealousies then, and I was far too forgiving to have heeded her.”

“Right.” The Healer rolled her eyes, “What were you gonna do about it?” She asked, “You walk around here like you own the place, but you let her play all of us. All the time. She gets away with everything. She never gave back my wool sweater, or my green trousers, or my red handbag. She’s a thief and a scoundrel.”

“What do you need a red handbag for anyway, four-eyes? You wanna look good for all of the test tubes while you’re strutting around in your nerd-suit?” The Spy jabbed.

Claire stood on the table as the others continued to bicker. She drew a deep breath and exercised what she believed to be her leadership skills.

“Shut the fuck up! Everyone!” She stamped her boot against the tabletop, accenting her profanity. Once the others fell silent, she sat back down in her chair. Her voice was strong and loud as she addressed the group.

“I grew up an only child. I don’t know what it’s like to grow up with sisters. When I met Sarah, I got all misty about the idea. I wondered about what it would have been like to share my youth and my life with someone so close. All of you are making me glad that I was alone. I can’t believe that you all have each other, like this, and you’re wasting your time bickering.”

The room was silent for a few moments.

“Who is Sarah, Genius?” The Spy asked in a quiet voice.

Claire gulped, her face heated up, her stomach churned as she realized what she had revealed in her tirade. She knew that she could not back out of the issue with a lie. “She’s one of the Aces, I’d imagine.”

Aki looked to Claire, her eyes conveying a sympathetic sadness at the admission. She started to tear as she saw Claire begin to sob into her palms. She wrapped herself around her distraught lover, stroking her back, cooing in sympathy at the woman’s sadness.

“You knew that there was another this whole time?” The Healer accused Claire.

“Leave her be.” The Judge lashed out to the Healer. “She needs to be alone right now.” The Judge rose, the others followed her example. The Chemist wheeled the Seer around the table and out of the room, trailing behind the rest.

“It’s okay, nushi.” Aki kissed the woman’s neck gently. “You didn’t mean to. I would have slipped-up soon anyway.”

“I might have just fucked up her life, Aki-san.” Claire sobbed, “I just ruined my sister’s life. They’re going to find her and take her.”

“Can’t you order them to leave her alone? You’re the commander.”

“It’s not just them. There have to be others that know about the Aces.”

“Too bad that Sarah doesn’t know.” Aki tightened her embrace.

#

“I’ll get you some tea.” Josh offered after Sarah flopped onto the sofa in their living room.

“Could you make coffee instead?” She asked, rubbing her temples after kicking off her shoes.

“Since when do you drink coffee?”

“Since I had to turn Barry down. He’s really determined in this, isn’t he?”

Josh spoke from the kitchen. “I respect your viewpoint on the issue, honey. But he may be the only one who can help your sister.”

“I’m sorry, Josh. I just don’t trust him. He’s not telling us everything. It’s his job to keep things secret from the people. That includes us.”

“Look, he said that he can offer Claire some kind of immunity, the same that he’s already extended to you.”

“He hasn’t extended anything. He has no proof about what he thinks I am until he finds Claire. The state has no case against me anyway.”

“Why do you say that? You’ve been worried about that for days now.” Josh stepped into the living room.

“Because I realized that Claire and I have different DNA.”

“What?” Josh narrowed his eyes.

“They checked my genes as part of the examination at the hospital.”

“Of course, but how do you know that they’re different from Claire’s?”

“Doctor Bailey pulled my records from New Jersey, the last time that I’d seen a doctor. She’s the one who pointed out the mistake.”

“Mistake?”

“They had all of my info, address, name, print, genome, everything. Including a bullet wound to my right leg.”

“So your records got jumbled?”

“Apparently. We were treated by the same doctor; Bhavesh Chapodahay. I’m guessing that he had a pretty busy week, with the bombing and all.”

“So, how do you know that Claire’s genes are different?”

“Doctor Bailey said that they were similar, but not the same. She said that they must’ve screwed up the scrape in Jersey, but then she got all quiet.” Sarah recounted, “She said that it was too close to just be from a bad scrape.”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:38 am 
Well I'm glad to see that all my :boot paid offf :D Though this part was definitely worth the wait

Being male I have to say that I'm rather ambivelent about there plans. Though I guess it depends on how they plan to get rid of all men. I fthey want to round us all up and put us in death camps then I'm very much opposed but if it's just a matter of using genetics so that more women are born and they live longer, so that men just disapear nautrally then that's not so bad.

Though would a plnet full of women really be more peaceful?

On the one hand all major conflicts have been caused by men (it's arguable that Thatcher was at least partly responsible for the Falklands war but that's hardly a major conflict) but on the other this might just be becuase men have always been in charge, so women have never had the authority to start any major wars up.

I don't trust that government guy that Josh went to, but then again I just don't trust people like that period.

Looking forward to the next part.

- mad world

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:18 am 
Hi,

Another excellent chapter.

I like the idea of a world full of women... but I can think of one huge drawback... Have you ever shared a house with several women?? Eventually you all get pre-menstrual at the same, time image a whole world of that!!! :punish

Can't wait for the next chapter, that DNA mix-up has me intrigued.

Jill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:27 am 
Justin,

As the Judge stated in her exposition earlier, just after Claire's rescue, they will realize their goal through attrition. So no camps, firing squads or the like. That's the kind of thing that they're very opposed to.

Mr. Schon has an agenda. Most people in high places (though he still has to answer to people above him) have agendas that they need to promote. I don't know if his agenda is clear right now. I'd imagine that he wants to eliminate what he perceives to be a threat to national security. That's his job.

Jill,

I'm still laughing after reading your comment about the synchronized hormonal/behavioral dilemma. The gals in the Endeavor are focused on the big problems first-- like ending war and conflict at the hands of their primitive male oppressors-- and I imagine that they will come up with a clever solution for any of the ancillary troubles that-- as you pointed out-- are bound to occur.

All,

Chapter 11b and Chapter 12 may get posted very soon. Possibly today. I'm trying to keep the updates frequent, but I've been unexpectedly busy with the job that pays my rent, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the story :(

It's soooo close. Chapter 13 is good-to-go, but without the complete chapter 12, it's worthless. Thanks for your patience.

-SQ

Edited by: StrangeQuark at: 12/15/03 7:29 am

Post subject: Re: Latency - Chapter 11b
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:19 am 
Yes, it's short, but chapter 12 is on-the-way.

EIAAOIFs :)

CHAPTER 11b

Aki had tried her best to comfort Claire. She held her tightly, wiped her tears, and reassured her as best she could. Still, her love was retreating inward; her mood had grown more dismal as moments passed.

The Healer opened the door and walked into the room where the two had remained. She pulled a chair next to where Aki held Claire, and sat next to the pair in silence for several minutes before speaking.

“Claire?” She asked, craning her neck, trying to establish eye contact from around Aki, “Claire, I’m sorry about being such an ass, before.”

“S’okay.” Claire sniffled, her face still buried in her hands.

“There’s all this secret stuff going on lately, and I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting you to be part of it. I felt kinda betrayed.”

“You’re one to talk.” Aki narrowed her eyes as she looked to the Healer.

“I’m sorry, Lover. I was just doing what the Judge and I thought was right. We were stupid to believe Simone. She’s always lying to us.” The Healer’s expression was sad, “But she can’t help it. She was designed to be crafty, convincing, and deceitful. It’s her purpose.”

“It’s okay.” Aki smirked, “I understand, I think.”

“Where did you find the Ace, Claire?”

“She lives on the west coast. With her husband. They’re happy.”

“Does she know about us?”

Claire shook her head. “She knows about me.”

“I think that we should reach out to her.” The Healer rested her elbow against the table, “She has a right to know what she really is.”

“I agree.” Aki said softly.

“I’m beginning to understand that the less any of us know, the better off we are.”

“You aren’t happy that we found you?”

“No. I kinda felt that way at first, but now I realize that I have no business being involved in any of this.” Claire said, “If you want to breed men out of existence, then be my guest. I just want to go home and get drunk.”

Aki’s face drooped as she heard the last sentence from Claire’s answer.

“You probably need more help, Genius.” The Healer opened her white coat and reached inside, producing a syringe. “Let me help you, please.”

Aki positioned herself in between the Healer and Claire. “No way. Leave her alone.”

“Lover, surely you understand that the Genius needs to quiet her mind. We all do. It’s the price that we pay for our abilities.”

Aki shook her head. “You mean that she’s… upset all the time, because she’s super-smart?”

“It’s a trade-off, honey. Cecilia’s special needs are the extreme of that. Please, Aki, let me help my sister, your sweetheart.” The Healer rose from her chair, holding the syringe to the light.

Aki complied with reluctance as she moved aside, allowing the Healer to administer the drug to Claire. She watched Claire’s composure build within seconds.

“I’m sorry, Aki-san.” Claire’s expression turned brighter as she apologized. “I cry too much around you, don’t I?” She smiled.

Aki shook her head. “Never.”

Claire turned to the Healer. “Thanks for the boost. I didn’t realize how much I needed it.”

“Any time, Genius.” The Healer smiled.

“Can you leave us alone for a little while? I have to discuss something with Aki.”

“Sure.” The Healer left the room, closing the door behind her.

Claire reached around Aki, lifting her onto the table in a swift, fluid motion. She pinned the smaller woman to the metal surface as she slid on top of her. She planted her mouth tight against Aki’s kissing her with a fierce passion as the shorter girl writhed beneath her weight.

Aki wrapped her legs around Claire’s hips, clamping herself around her lover’s waist as she struggled against the restraint of Claire’s grip around her wrists. She thrilled at the feeling of being trapped by her lover. Her arms struggled and her legs embraced as her tongue slid against Claire’s. She was an eager prisoner to her lover’s sudden, passionate gesture.

Claire felt the small, delicate body writhing beneath her, grinding against her, wrapped around her. She surrendered to the erotic thrill of the combined sensations. Her skin felt electrified, her senses sharper than ever, eager to accept pleasurable contact from the heat and soft shape of her partner’s body. She pulled away from Aki’s mouth, kissing below her ear. She started to suck on the pale skin of Aki’s neck, drawing some of it into her mouth, dragging it between her teeth as she felt Aki’s excitement building further.

“Nushi.” Aki released a breathy whisper, her eyes closed, her breathing rapid and heavy. She started to moan, unable to stop herself as Claire’s teeth and lips continued to indulge the sensitive skin of her neck with alternating moments of sharpness, soft warmth, and wetness. “Take me, nushi. Fuck me.” She pleaded in a husky whisper.

#

“So there are these Aces, you say?” The Judge did not face the Spy as she asked.

“Four of them. They’re the only true identicals. Mother made them to be gifted in all areas.” The Spy’s voice was soft. “She told me to keep them a secret, you know. I wanted to tell you, and the others.”

“But you chose not to. Even after she died, you kept it from us.”

“I’m not supposed to blurt out secrets, Evelyn. I can take them to the grave with me, regardless of torture or bribe. It’s Dianne who fucked all that up.”

“Why did you tell her, then?”

“She had to know. Before we stumbled upon the Genius, she and I were going to try to find them.”

“I fear that we may need them after all. The Genius and the Lover are going to leave us.”

The Spy released a sigh. “That’s just great. Here we are, all together at last, and Claire and her stupid little sex toy are going to split?”

“Never refer to the Lover in that way again.” The Judge snapped. “The choice is theirs, Simone. Not ours.”

“They told you this, then?”

“No. They have not told me yet. They will, though.” The Judge looked to the floor. “Cecilia knows, I can tell it.”

“The Genius could tell us where the Ace is. Once we rescue her, we’re back in business.”

“I do not think that you can rely on her cooperation, Simone.”

#

Josh had left for the vineyard hours ago. Sarah spent the rest of the day trying to relax, but worrying instead. The doorbell sounded, and she decided to answer it against her better judgment. She saw Barry in the view screen.

“I said no.”

“Please, Sarah. I’m offering you one last chance to save your sister. And yourself.” Barry sighed.

“You don’t have a case, Barry.” Sarah folded her arms across her chest before continuing, “Whatever you think you have as evidence is flawed, I guarantee it.”

“We’re going in there, Sarah. We’re not intending to kill anyone, but it is a possibility. You could prevent that from happening.”

“You’ll kill anyway. Just like the Gartner’s Party, the Libertine Coalition, and the New Sons of Jefferson.”

Schon shook his head, “Sarah, those are some bad moments in American history. Mistakes were made. I wasn’t there to make them. Please, I want nothing more than to take your sister and her compatriots alive. My career may depend on it.” He stepped into the foyer.

“You know, Barry, Josh has always spoken highly of you. I was always willing to believe everything that you told me.” Sarah placed her hands on her hips. “Now I can see that you’re nothing more than an errand-boy. You can’t help me. You can’t help Claire. The people who pull your strings don’t care about any of us, even you.”

“That is a dangerous opinion to have, Sarah.” Schon shook his head, his eyes pleaded with her to stop.

“That’s what I mean. Why is an opinion dangerous? Why are ideas so threatening? Who is in jeopardy?”

“The free world, ironically.”

“Get out of my house. Now.”

“I just want to help your sister. I need your help for that…”

“Go.” Sarah pushed him through the doorway. She slammed it shut against his back.

#

Late at night, in a narrow bunk, Aki nestled herself against Claire’s warmth as the taller girl slept. She did not mind the crowded sleeping arrangements, or the lack of privacy due to the others sleeping above and below them. She accepted where she was and enjoyed whom she was with, no longer caring about anything else.

She knew that Claire was ready to leave, as they had discussed before going to bed. She also knew that her companion would not leave until the sisters’ future was secured. She tried to think of ways to expedite the process as she lay against her lover, drifting into slumber.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:03 pm 
That was a great update :clap

So Claires planning on leaving. SOmehow I get the feeling she isn't going to leave in time to avoid the troops getting ready to arrest them all.

For me this bit of conversation sums up a lot of what the stry's about

Quote:
“That is a dangerous opinion to have, Sarah.” Schon shook his head, his eyes pleaded with her to stop.

“That’s what I mean. Why is an opinion dangerous? Why are ideas so threatening? Who is in jeopardy?”

“The free world, ironically.”

If opinions, and the expressing of them, are dnagerous I'd say that the so called 'free world' is already screwed. It's that old chestnut about those who give up freedom for security losing both and deserving neither.

I'm looking forward to :read more

- mad world

Post subject: Re: Latency - Chapter 12a
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:03 am 
This needs some work, but I wanted to share it with you, to keep the story moving.

EIAAOIFs :)

CHAPTER 12a

The group sat around the table, eating their breakfast rations. Aki was helping the Healer to feed Cecilia. Claire sat away from the table, watching her love feed the challenged sister. She felt a deep admiration for Aki’s caring spirit and patient attitude as she performed the difficult task.

“The serum is finished, Genius.” The Chemist lilted, turning to face Claire.

“Good work, both of you.” Claire smiled to the Italian.

“When can we get all jazzed up, Genius?” The Warrior asked with enthusiasm. “I don’t wanna grow any older, right girls?”

“Maybe later. We need to work on finding a source of food first.”

“I think that we should take a drive over to the Indian reservation. The Feds won’t be able to see us in there.” The Warrior offered.

“How close is it?”

“About two hours away.” The Spy answered.

“They’ll have provisions?”

“Perhaps. The government gives them all of the military rations that are due to expire.” The Judge said, “But I’m afraid that we have nothing to offer them in exchange.”

Claire thought about the situation for a few silent moments before speaking, “What about medicine? Vaccines? Could we offer those?” Claire had turned to face the Healer as she asked.

“I have some. The Chemist and I could make some more.” The Healer offered.

“That sounds like a plan.” The Warrior smiled as she nodded in approval.

“Where is the car?” Claire asked the Spy.

“It’s hidden outside.” The Spy rose, “Dianne, Judge, let’s take the Genius to the car.”

The Warrior picked up her rifle, checking its readiness for the expedition.

The three followed the Spy out of the room.

#

The Warrior heard it first, the sound of boots scuffling, hissing echoes across the concrete floor of the vast expanse around the corner. She held her hand behind her, halting the Spy, the Judge, and Genius in their tracks. She backed away from the junction, making as little sound as possible. She looked to the Spy, the two of them exchanging a nod.

The Spy drew her pistol, taking a moment to spin a large silencer onto the end of the barrel.

“I’m going to kill the lights.” Claire mouthed to the others before sneaking down the corridor, toward the service shaft that led to the power center. Her heart was pounding against her ribs as she scrambled onto the rough metal ladder that would lead her downward.

The Warrior checked her sidearm and her rifle, before nodding to the Spy.

The Judge slinked away to warn the others.

The Spy pulled a mirror from one of her pouches. She extended the looking-glass around the corner, surveying the interlopers.

“How many?” The Warrior mouthed against the Spy’s ear.

“At least twenty.” The Spy answered in turn before giving a playful nip at the Warrior’s earlobe.

The Warrior flinched away from the other, releasing a silent sigh. “Let’s lead them back up.” She pointed to the ceiling.

The Spy nodded.

Everything went dark in an instant. The two could hear the reactions of the distant troopers at the sudden blackness of their surroundings.

“Show time.” The Warrior whispered as she crept from around the corner.

#

The Judge had ushered the Chemist, Healer, Seer and Lover into one of the blast-vaults in the lowest level of the complex. She paced around the darkened space, looking to her sisters on occasion, trying not to panic. She stopped her manic motion when Aki had reached to her, holding her arm.

“Take it easy, Evelyn.” Aki’s tone was agitated, her face was taught.

“We are in grave danger, Aki.”

“The Spy and the Warrior can protect us. We’re going to be safe in here. That’s why you moved us here, right?” Aki offered.

“Yes, I hope that they can. I fear that they are hopelessly outnumbered.”

“Enough.” The Healer hissed. Her hands shook as she spoke. “Let’s take the serum now, while we still can.”

The others nodded.

The Healer proceeded to inject the group with the amber-colored chemical.

“Why are you bothering with that stuff?” Aki asked as she watched the Healer continue her rounds. “They’re going to execute us, aren’t they?”

“And if they don’t, we’ll live long enough to outlast our sentences.” The Healer replied to Aki as she injected the serum into the Seer. She filled the hypodermic again, raising it to the dim light of the emergency system, expressing any air bubbles before looking to Aki. “Take of your jacket, dear.”

“Hugh?”

“Come on, Lover. You need your medicine too.”

“Um…” Aki crossed her arms against her chest, eyeing the needle with uncertainty. “I thought that it just was for you goddess-types.”

“It will help you too, fellow goddess.” The Healer smiled, “The Genius would want it this way, darling.”

Aki sighed, releasing her arms, and slipping out of her jacket. She rolled up her shirtsleeve, offering her arm to the Healer. She had resigned to the fact that she would not live much longer, despite the therapy, given the gravity of their current situation.

The Healer concluded the injection, reaching into her white coat to retrieve a syringe and a small bottle of the substance and present it to Aki. “Find the Genius, Lover. Give this to her. Make sure that she gets all of it. You don’t want to spend the next couple of centuries without her.”

Aki reached around the Healer’s neck, pressing her lips against the taller woman’s mouth with force and affection. She released the brief, ardent kiss. “Thank you.” She beamed to the confused Healer before scurrying out of the darkened room to find Claire.

“Give me some. I’ll bring it to the Spy and the Warrior.” The Judge stepped up to the Healer.

“That sounds risky.” The Healer’s voice quivered.

“You stay. Please.” The Chemist pleaded.

“There is no argument in the matter. Give me the serum now.”

The Healer complied, offering two bottles of the amber liquid to the Judge. Her head lowered, unable to make eye contact with her sister.

The Judge left the room in quiet haste.

#

The Warrior had them in her sights. She could make out their black tactical bio-chemical fatigues in the dim glow of the emergency lighting. She had moved along the most distant wall, keeping herself as quiet and inconspicuous as possible. She positioned herself in between the exit that led to the escape shaft and the soldiers. Looking through her rifle’s scope, she saw one of the men take aim on a distant figure, flinch, and drop to the floor. The others ducked, looking frantic for the source of the silent attack.

The Spy moved her position after the first strike, finding refuge behind one of the large support pillars in the great expanse. She readied for another silenced shot when she heard the sharp rapport of gunfire erupt into the dark silence. She saw the soldiers begin firing at the moving person in the distance. She saw the person fall, and decided to take advantage of the group’s diverted attention. She methodically sniped three of the confused troops, targeting just below the helmets that obscured their faces, where they had no protection. She moved again, anxious to mead out more revenge for what must have been a fallen sister.

The Warrior took her best shots. Two of the scurrying commandos fell as the group continued to scatter and panic. They had thrown a gas grenade in the opposite direction of where she was hiding, so she took some more shots from the position. She missed the first, and glanced the second. She scrambled out of the area as they started to fire back at her. Tracing her way toward the escape shaft, she bumped into another in the darkness.

“I thought they got you.” The Spy whispered.

“We’ve got to lead them out of here. Those gas grenades aren’t too bad in the big space, but below, they’ll be too strong.”

“Take this.” The Spy reached beneath her coat, pulling small filtered mask from one of the black pouches that adorned her torso.

“What about you?” The Warrior hissed.

“Just take out as many of them as you can, Dianne. I’m going to lure them upstairs.” The Spy disappeared up the ladder of the escape shaft.

The Warrior headed back toward the opposite side of the great chamber, hoping to force the soldiers toward the Spy’s retreat with a grenade blast. As she readied to arm the explosive, her fingers looped through the detonator’s arming pin, all attention turned toward the other side of the dark, cavernous area. Rapid, sharp series of bright explosions echoed throughout the expanse.

The soldiers had hit the floor, covering their heads with their hands until the abrupt cacophony had ended. They began to creep toward the escape shaft, cautious and alert.

“We’re up here, ya pansies!” The Spy’s loud taunt reverberated through the smoky stillness that had overcome the vaulted chamber. “Come and get us, you limp-dicked primitives.”

One of the squad raised a hand above his head, gesturing toward the faint illumination of the distant shaft. A few others started to follow while the rest remained, guns pointing into the surrounding darkness, ready for action.

#

Claire passed a slumped form in the darkness of the hallway. She could see a shining trail leading from the main chamber to where the person lay, gasping. She knelt next to the Judge, panic overtaking her expression. She scanned her surroundings before using her mini-flashlight to examine the Judge’s injuries.

“Go, Genius.” The Judge sputtered, coughing blood. “Go and hide with the others.”

“Come on. I’m taking you to the Healer. They’re in one of the vaults down below, right?” Claire flailed, trying to get a hold of the Judge.

“Leave me, Genius.” She choked. “I will not survive. Run, hide with the others while the Warr…” She choked more.

Tears distorted Claire’s vision as she spoke, holding the Judge against her. “I can’t leave you here, Evelyn.” Claire sniffled, overwhelmed with sadness and despair.

“Tell the others…” The Judge struggled to finish, “…how proud I am… how I love them, Claire.” She coughed a few more times, smiling to Claire through her agony. Her last breath gurgled in her throat and chest as her body went limp.

Claire’s back and sides quivered in a silent, jagged rhythm as she looked to the Judge’s lifeless body, riddled with bullet wounds and soaked with red. She saw the faint beams of flashlights in the far distance. She placed a kiss on the Judge’s still-warm forehead before scrambling away to find the others. Her running was slow and stilted by her overwhelming sadness.

#

Aki sneaked through the darkness that lay beyond the vault. She knew that Claire had to have been near the lowest level in order to shut off the power. She made her way, stumbling, running her fingers against the walls as she ventured through the pervasive blackness, searching for Claire.

She collided with her in a long, dark passage that led from the vaults to the ladder.

“What are you doing out here?” Claire scolded. “Come on, we have to hide while the Spy and the Warrior do their thing.”

“I have to give you something.” Aki said. She strained onto her toes, reaching around Claire’s neck, pulling their mouths together in a brief, passionate kiss.

“Aki-san, that was sweet, but it could have waited.”

“I have to give you this.” She held up the ampule and syringe that the healer had given to her. “It’s the serum. You have to take it. I don’t want to be alive for the next couple hundred years without you, nushi.”

Claire sighed, taking the substance from Aki. Together, they walked toward the vault where the others were hiding. Once there, Claire had the healer administer the shot. Aki gasped when she saw the blood that stained Claire’s shirt and trousers.

“You’re hurt.”

“That’s not my blood.” Claire’s voice was soft as she explained the painful truth to the others. “It’s Evelyn’s. She’s dead.”

The others sat in silent disbelief for a moment before beginning to cry at the loss of their sister.

#

The Spy watched the soldiers file into the tunnel. They were cautious; their bodies compacted as they moved through the space, scanning for threats. She concealed herself behind a metal grating in a wall of the dark cave. She knew that she could take all three of them out with little trouble. She slowed her breathing, steadied her hand, and took aim at the closest one.

Edited by: StrangeQuark at: 12/16/03 10:21 am

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:25 am 
So did you post that part to keep the story moving as you said, or just to tease us with that cliff hanger?

That was a very tense part and very sad. So the question is are the others going to escape.

Looking forward to the next part

- mad world

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next