The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choices
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:56 am 
Title: Choices

Author: Unveil the Soulbound

Disclaimer: Pretty much all the characters are from me and my wild imagination… Any character resembling anyone from real life is unintentional…

Summary: Nobody’s perfect. Not even Kyle. Athletic – Girl’s Basketball Team Captain, Softball Team Ace Player, Track and Field Varsity; Intelligent – always at the upper 5% of her class; Leadership qualities – Student Body Vice president. But through the years, she’s learned to keep her feelings from other people. Will somebody finally make her realize that all Kyle needs to do is open the door for love? It all depends on her choices…

Rating: PG 13 – R

Author’s note: :wave I just started this story and I would really love to share it to you… so please… feedback would be GREATLY APPRECIATED… just don’t murder me too much…:peace

Saturday       

Waking up extra early this morning, I was half-expecting my brother to show up in the living room, slouching on the couch, watching those pointless shows in the television just to kill time. Maybe even holding a bowl of cereals in front of him. I would have jumped on to him and snatched the bowl from him, leaving him open-mouthed and with no choice but to prepare himself a new bowl, all-too-knowing that it would be a strenuous process to take back his former breakfast from me. Then he would sit back on the couch, now beside me, and we would have teased the commercials on TV. Together.

But not today.

He hasn’t been home for two weeks. Even with the constant phone calls, it would still be better if he was home.

I miss him. I miss my bestfriend. Damn college dormitories.

“You’re going to be late for practices, Kyle.”

Kyle had just finished taking a shower and she was now drying her dark brown hair with a fresh, clean towel she hastily grabbed from her closet earlier that day. After waking up from the resonating sound of her alarm clock, and after a few rubs to her eyes so as to get the traces of sleep to leave her, she finally sat up on bed and decided to take a quick shower before heading down to breakfast.

It was just now though, after the shower, that she finally realized how late she woke up.

Oh shit!, she thought to herself as she looked at the clock on her bedside table. Apparently, I set the alarm clock in a wrong time again. Which makes me late for the practice. Which would make Coach Hunt really angry. Stupid!

Putting on her underwears along with the baggy khaki pants and red shirt she randomly picked from her closet, she hurried down to the kitchen, brushing the short strands of her auburn hair along the way. As she reached the door to the kitchen, she met the eyes of her mother and right away she knew that the older woman was going to question her unpunctuality. Unpunctuality? Fancy word… But late is late…

“Alarm clock issues again?”

Kyle blushed a little, embarrassed. She knows me too well. “Yeah. I wasn’t able to set it the right time again.”

“You’ve got to change that, Kyle. It’s becoming a habit,” concern shone in the older woman’s face.

“I know. It’s just, sometimes I’m too lazy to check my alarm clock if I set it the right way.” The teenage girl grinned because of her lame excuse, “It’s stupid, I know…”

“It’s not stupid. It’s just reckless. If this routine of yours don’t change, I swear you’ll always be late for whatever you need to do. And even your alarm clocks won’t be any help,” an eyebrow shot up from Kyle’s mother, a gesture she knew all too well, and she felt herself warming up under her mother’s glance.

With this, she turned her attention to the food prepared on the small kitchen table, not bearing the gaze her mother extended towards her, making her feel all guilty. That was when she noticed the bacon laying on two plates along with slices of bread. To the sides of the plates were two steaming cups of black coffee. So much for yummy breakfast you can’t enjoy…Why again? Oh yeah! That’s because I’m LATE…

Riza noticed the slight change of expression on her daughter’s face and she knew right there and then what the teenager was thinking. She wasn’t about to agree though.

“Oh no! You’re not going to skip breakfast just because you’re late…”

“But mom! Our coach is going to be mad. As in mad! I need to get there on time –”

“And get yourself hospitalized?! No way! You’re going to be having exhausting basketball practices all day, and you won’t eat breakfast?” Now Kyle saw the incredulous expression being shown on her mother’s face. She knew it was hard to win this fight.

But she could try…

“But mom –”

“No but’s. Eat breakfast and then you get to go to the practices.” Riza pushed one of the stuffed plates towards her daughter. They both knew that when mother mode was on, it was definitely ON. “And don’t worry about the stuffs you’re going to bring. I’ve prepared them already.”

“Really?” God, how can I miss doing that yesterday?

“Apparently, you fell asleep on your bed, reading your history book,” her mother called out, knowing what her daughter must be thinking. She looked back at the teenager and gave her a knowing look. “Sometimes, you need to slack things out, Kyle. I mean, Friday evening and you’re studying already?”

“Mom, that’s not studying,” Kyle wasn’t about to give in. She’d had this kind of conversation all her life and she knew just how to win it. If she can’t win the earlier argument, she might as well push her luck here. “It’s called advance reading…”

“Yeah, whatever,” Was all her mother could muster. If ever a Cool Mom Association there was, she would probably have been the president of it. Having raised her son and daughter on her own for the past decade, she was never one for strict rules. She believed that understanding her offsprings was a whole lot better than making them follow pointless house rules. It’s so much better to communicate with them because that way you understand each other, and you both see you’re mistakes as a parent or a son or daughter, she would often say when asked about her parental ways.

Of course she also enjoyed seeing either her son or daughter embarrassed when she teased them. Or blush whenever I ask about their love lives, she grinned inwardly.

“Mom, when is Derek calling?”, Riza was interrupted from her trance as her daughter called out. Hearing the name of her eldest, she turned to Kyle, who now was enjoying her hearty breakfast.

“Maybe later, after your training. I thought you guys talked about it?”

“Yeah we did, just checking if he called last night for a change of plans or something,” now Kyle turned to her coffee and sipped, satisfaction at having to eat breakfast showing on her face. This expression was not lost from her mother.

“You look refreshed having eaten breakfast, “ Riza pointed out to her daughter, “and just a while ago, you wanted to skip it…”

All Kyle could do was smile sincerely and say, “Thanks, mom,” as she took the sports bag being handed to her by her mom. She stood up and checked the bag for a while. After reassuring herself that everything she needed was there, she walked to her mom and hugged her tightly.

“Thanks mom, you’re the best. Really.”

Riza smiled and returned the warm embrace. “I know,” she said, teasing her daughter. She looked at the mock ‘oh really?!’ expression on her daughter’s face and in turn pushed Kyle gently out of the room, while saying, “Now scram, or you’ll be busted by your hot and athletic coach…”

With that, Kyle turned back and mock teased her mother with a “Mommmm, don’t tell me you’re crushing on my coach??!!”

Riza saw this playful banter and would really love to return the gesture, but realized that her daughter was running late for her basketball training. She simply pointed to the clock hanging on the wall of the kitchen and said, “You’re gonna be late… Now scram…”

Kyle turned to look at the clock herself, and her eyes widened as the reality hit her that she had only 5 minutes left before the training started. An exasperated “Oh yeah!” came out of her and she dashed towards the door while calling back to her mother, “But we’re gonna talk about this later when I come back!”

Riza looked at the now empty house and smiled to herself, I certainly raised them well.

Confusion showed on Kyle’s face as she started for the school gym where the basketball trainings were being held. There’s certainly a lot of people here right now, she thought. Being a Saturday, she never imagined anyone choosing to go to school than staying at home or going somewhere else, doing whatever. She also never thought any student would be THAT interested in an ordinary basketball practice. Unless…

Reaching the huge basketball court, she had just to stop herself from screaming, What the hell are all THESE people doing here???!!! From where she stood then, she saw the sidelines of the court filled with students of different levels, chatting with each other, or talking to someone on their cell phones, oblivious to her presence. Even the audience seats at the top are filled, she said looking up at the upper part of the gym. Something’s definitely going on… It’s like…Oh no!!! No way!!!

She chose that time to go to the players’ benches, where the basketball team coach now noticed her.

“You’re late, Hanson.”

Kyle acknowledged her last name being called by the athletic, blonde man sitting on the benches and she realized that she needed to give her apologies. And probably take my punisment…

“I’m sorry, coach. I’ll be doing the lapses around –”

“Not today, Hanson. You’re lucky you won’t be running around the court today.” Then, the elderly man pointed to the crowd surrounding the sidelines of the court. “You can’t with all those people.”

Curiosity getting the most of her, she suddenly brought herself to ask, “Yeah, what’s up with that? I mean, coach, we have been practicing for a while now. But there hasn’t been this much commotion before…?”

With this, the man flashed a toothy, somewhat wicked smile at her. Okay, I certainly don’t like the looks of that, she thought. “You’ll be having an unofficial game with Martin High today, after the basic drills,” the coach said, pleased with the elusive reaction he got from his team captain, and one of his favorite students.

Wh-what??!!!, her mind screamed. “You - you must be kidding, coach –”, she managed to say before being interrupted by the man before her.

“No joke, Hanson. The Martin High Girls Basketball team will be arriving in probably half an hour…”, he said, glancing at his wristwatch. “More or less.”

With this, she scrambled towards the Girls’ Shower Room to freshen up for the game and change into her outfit. That Hunt is a mean, wicked, impious, bad, awful – her inner rambling stopped when she felt a hand hold her arm, immediately stopping her tracks towards her destination.

“Woah!” she turned to see a spiky haired guy, a few inches taller than her with large brown eyes. The guy still held her arm, but loosened a little bit. To his side was a gorgeous girl with flowing hair, color mildly between brown and the darker shade of gold. Leah Kyrr, campus heartthrob, probably his new girlfriend or something

“What’s up, Kyle? What’s with the rush?” she heard the guy say.

She turned her full attention to him, and never minded keeping to herself the pent-up anger boiling inside her. “Did you know about all this, Steve?! Huh?!” She pointed to all the people inside the gym.

A guilty expression showed in his face that was not lost from the brunette. “Yeah…umm… sortah…” and he quickly added, “But I DIDN’T know you didn’t know. So I assumed you knew, and I kindah told a few people. But I SWEAR I didn’t know you didn’t know. I promise, Kyle!” He held his right hand up to show the gesture.

“So, this hell of an audience is your fault?”

“Ummm…” for a few seconds, Steve contemplated on what to say. “Figured your team might use a little moral support…” He raised his eyebrows in a I’m-not-so-sure-this-is-a-good-idea sort of way.

“You’re definition of LITTLE is very, very small…” she said, sarcasm obvious in her tone.

“I’m sorry, Kyle. I really really am… I didn’t know Hunt wouldn’t tell you.”

Kyle sighed. She had nothing else to do but accept Steve’s explanation. He’s been his friend for a long time already and she knew he was telling the truth. “Yeah. Okay. I forgive you…”she said, patting his arm which in turn got an ear-to-ear smile from him. “I’m just, I dunno, nervous maybe…”

“Don’t be,” it was now Leah who talked, having been a spectator between the two friends’ interaction. “I’ve seen you guys play last year, and you’re pretty good.” She smiled at Kyle, who in turn smiled back.

This became Steve’s cue to introduce the two girls to each other. “Kyle, this is –”

“Leah Kyrr, I know. She’s pretty popular here in school you know, Steve?” Kyle interrupted, showing a matter-of-fact expression on her face.

“And you’re popular yourself too, Miss Kyle Hanson,” Leah pointed out to the other girl.

Kyle grinned and Steve smiled as he watched the interaction. “Okay, since I guess you both know each other already, we better go, Kyle,” he said pointing to the direction of the benches reserved probably for the VIP’s. Steve was one of the most popular student on school, being a campus jock and the school’s football team quarterback. Leah shared the same kind of popularity for simply being one of the most beautiful girls in school, a certified campus heartthrob. Steve and Leah together, makes perfect sense, she thought.

“And I better change, now,” she said, heading for the shower room.

When Kyle had vanished towards the insides of the shower room, Leah turned to her boyfriend and remarked, “She’s pretty, Steve.”

“Yeah, she’s definitely hot.”

Leah shot her eyebrows up and asked the spike-haired guy beside her, “Tell me again why you didn’t pursue her? You told me before you tried to hit on her…”

“You really wanna know, Leah?”

“Yeah.”

“She’s gay,” he gave her a sincere smile, “And pretty open about it too…”

To Love is to receive a glimpse of Heaven-- Karen Sunde

Love isn't a decision. It's a feeling. If we could decide who we loved, it would be much simpler...But much less magical... -- Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Post subject: Re: Choices
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:18 am 
ummm... forgot to mention that that was the first chapter of the story...more to come...hopefully soon...

feedback would really be appreciated....:peace

**Cail**

Love isn't a decision. It's a feeling. If we could decide who we loved, it would be much simpler...But much less magical... -- Trey Parker and Matt Stone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:59 am 
oooooo!

*very* cool setting, i liike!

I also really like all the potential these characters have! You're using them really well to illustrate what you want to say.

Overall i definately think i'm gonna get myself hooked on this one lol!

Keep it up!

- Bellie :D

The shape of you

Is etched inside

My bruised and somewhat sculptured mind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:58 am 
Seems like a good start to your story. I'm definitely interested in reading the next part.

One little thing that might be good to pay attention to is the use of the plural. It's not a huge problem or anything, but little things like that, that seem small out of context, take away a little bit from the flow of the story. It just catches the attention and distracts the reader (or at least this reader)for a moment. For example

Quote:
Maybe even holding a bowl of cereals in front of him

Quote:
“You’re going to be late for practices, Kyle.”

Quote:
Putting on her underwears

It stopped me every time. It might just need a little editing.

Other than that, though, I like the premise. I'm a huge fan of first-time stories, and this is promising.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:09 pm 
:bigwave :bounce

I like this! Lookin foward to more :)

:pride :pride

-rose

I didnt know what being happy was till i found you, i didnt know what love meant till i loved you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:46 pm 
okay guys, after a very very very very long time... chapter 2 is up... sorry if this didn't come up a little earlier...

Title: Choices

Author: Unveil the Soulbound

Disclaimer: Pretty much all the characters are from me and my wild imagination… Any character resembling anyone from real life is unintentional… I’m also making most of the places like shops, etc, original so don’t try looking for them coz they most likely DON’T exist… Leagues are also mostly original…mostly…because they may be a little bit similar to real leagues… The neighborhood is also from my crazed mind…

Summary: Nobody’s perfect. Not even Kyle. Athletic – Girl’s Basketball Team Captain, Softball Team Ace Player, Track and Field Varsity; Intelligent – always at the upper 5% of her class; Leadership qualities – Student Body Vice president. But through the years, she’s learned to keep her feelings from other people. Will somebody finally make her realize that all Kyle needs to do is open the door for love? It all depends on her choices…

Rating: PG 13 – R

Author’s note: I just started this story and I would really love to share it to you… so please… feedback would be GREATLY APPRECIATED… just don’t murder me too much… thoughts are in italic

Watching

Yes, watching. That’s what I’m here to do. To watch. And be bored.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy watching basketball games, but being here right now is not what I was really planning on doing. I wanted to actually hang out with my friends, do a little shopping, girl bonding, those stuffs. I mean, we’ve had this amazing plan for a long time to go out and have fun today but everything has got to be ruined by that unexpected call last night.

That unexpected call by my boyfriend to go watch an unofficial game of basketball.

And it didn’t even help that he had to persuade MY friends to let me be with him and cancel our fun day. I mean, he didn’t even consider the fact that I might decline his offer. He just assumed that I’d say yes and go with him. He called my friends over to ask for their permission, without even thinking about my reaction in the whole thing.

If it weren’t for my friends convincing me that I should go with him, I wouldn’t be here in the first place. He’s so lucky I have really, really great and understanding friends for that matter.

And now, I’m being bored to death.

Steve had been watching his girlfriend, mesmerized by her beauty and the way her eyes darted around the crowded gymnasium. He felt, at that moment, like he was one of the luckiest guys in the world to have such a gorgeous girl to his side. Dating the campus heartthrob and being the school’s football team quarterback player, he had nothing else to ask for. Any guy would surely kill just to be him.

He smiled inwardly to himself. Any guy would DEFINITELY kill to be me.

And at that moment, he saw Leah sigh and take in a deep breath.

“Anything wrong babe?” he asked while gently caressing her girlfriend’s hand. He made soothing touches on the back of her palm and afterwards, squeezed Leah’s hand softly. She slowly turned to look at him.

“I wonder where my friends are right now? I mean, they should be having fun…”

“Aren’t you having fun with me here right now, babe?”

“To tell you honestly Steve, sitting here doing nothing isn’t exactly the kind of fun I was thinking of,” she blatantly told him.

“Oh…” Steve hadn’t expected this from her girlfriend.

At that point, Leah saw the hurt in Steve’s face and she inwardly kicked herself for being so insensitive. I shouldn’t have said that. But Leah couldn’t shrug the fact that looking at him right at that moment made her so annoyed.

“I’m really sorry, Steve. It’s just…” she sighed again, “I was really looking forward to hanging out with my friends today. I haven’t bonded with them ever since we started going out.”

“I’m sorry too. I just assumed you’d be happy to –”

“That’s the point, Steve. You assumed. You never even considered if I actually wanted to go out with you today,” she crossed her arms to her chest and visibly showed her boyfriend that she was pissed. “All the while, you knew I had plans to go out with my friends and yet you insisted. And you know what the worst part is?”

At this point, she had already raised the tone of her voice slightly higher than normal.

“You called my friends over for their permission without even consulting me. Without even approaching me first.”

Leah turned her back against her boyfriend and simply observed the crowd. She knew it wouldn’t be good to make a scene at that moment. But she just can’t look at him right now. Her insides were fuming and if she continued looking at the guy beside her, she might just not be able to control her outrage.

Steve knew he had definitely pissed Leah off. He seriously didn’t anticipate for this reaction from her. In all honesty, he still can’t understand what the whole fuss was about. It’s just a little shopping with her friends. They can still have fun some other time. But he knew he had to comfort his girlfriend. It won’t be good if she broke up with me now.

“Hey, Leah, look. I’m really sorry, okay? I didn’t think you’d be mad or anything,” with that, he reached for her hand once more and caressed it. “I’ll make it up to you some other time, alright? But right now, let’s just wait for the game to start and enjoy it.”

Leah rolled her eyes, unnoticed by her boyfriend, and took her hand back. Whatever. She had thought Steve was sweet and very much romantic. He’s no different than all the other guys.

Kyle had just finished changing into her jersey and was now arranging some of her toiletries and a few clothes inside her locker when she felt a faint tap on her right shoulder. Looking at the person to her right, her eyes widened in shock and complete surprise. Never, in her whole life, had she imagined seeing such a view. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating…but, what the??!!

“Oh My God!” was all Kyle could muster as she stood there, mouth wide open and eyes staring largely at the girl she was now visibly gaping at. She then pointed at the hair of the now snickering girl to her front and said out loud, “You…you…”

“I cut my hair!” the other girl with chin-length, jet-black hair squealed. If that wasn’t enough, she even pushed her hair back with her fingers. After doing so, the stands of her somewhat shiny black hair went back down to their original position, as if never being disturbed.

At this time, Kyle had already regained her senses and was beginning to register the fact that Jen, one of her closest friends and another promising basketball player in their school, had just cut her long flowing black hair.

“I kindah noticed that…”

“So, you like?” Jen looked at Kyle with anticipation. Anticipation might just have been one of the biggest understatements of the year, since Jen wore a look of absolute hilarity – her eyebrows raised as high as they can get, her bottom lip being bitten furiously , and her nose scrunched up.

Kyle just had to keep herself from falling to the ground and laughing. However, she wasn’t able to control the slight chuckle that escaped.

“Jen, cut the face out! You look silly!” Kyle playfully pushed the other girl away.

“So? You like?”

“I like what?” Kyle felt the urge to tease her bestfriend.

“My hair… you like?”

“Hmmmm…”

“Hmmmm…?”

“Hmmmm…”

“KYLE!!!”

Kyle gave out a hearty laugh and later on, Jen joined her. After a while, the two girls ended the induced togetherness and regained their composure.

“You weren’t joking when you told me you were gonna do something crazy, huh?”

“Well, technically this isn’t as crazy as what my first plan was,” the black-haired girl pointed to her short hair, “I wanted to dye it green.”

“You did not?!”

Jen shrugged. “Pops talked me out of it though. He gave me a choice.”

“What choice?” Kyle asked curiously.

“Either green hair or my birthday bash.”

Kyle grinned and gave her friend a mock sympathetic look. “Aaaaw…”

“Well, I’m definitely not gonna pass up my bash for nothing!” Jen shot the brunette an indignant look. “But I loved the look he got when he saw what I’ve done to my hair. Kindah similar to yours.” The stern look had instantly turned into a full-blown smile.

“You know what, Jen? You are so mean!” Kyle had started tickling her friend, when a substitute player in the team that Kyle didn’t recognize – Probably new or something – called them over saying the coach had asked for them.

Heading for the door out of the shower room, Jen turned to her closest friend and asked, “So, you coming at the party tonight?”

“Definitely!”

“Good. ‘Coz you are going to meet my hunk of a date.”

“Oh really?”

Jen smiled, “Yeah. Plus, I might just have a neat surprise for you.” And waggled her eyebrows.

Now, Kyle was curious. And intrigued. “Is this one of those double date ideas of yours again? I have been telling you for the nth time Jen, I don’t need a girlfriend.”

“You’ll see,” the other winked while heading for the door.

After a few moments – and after they both had exited the room – Kyle called her friend over.

“What?” Jen asked, both curious and excited, partly because the opposing team had already arrived and entered the gymnasium, and that the crowd was getting quite noisy.

“Happy birthday,” Kyle enveloped her friend in a sincere and tight but not too body-squashing hug. “And don’t worry about your gift. You’ll get it tonight.” Though I think I should be the one worried about this surprise of yours, miss Crazybirthdaygirl.

“They’re here…”

Her internal rumblings and grumbles about her thoughtless boyfriend were put to a halt as she heard the crowd become a little bit raucous and a LOT noisier. She watched as a group of girls in light blue jerseys came through the large door of the inward basketball court. Most of them were chatting with each other. A few, quietly walking, not minding the commotion inside the court. Along with them was a tall, athletic, dark-skinned man, around his late thirties that seemed to possess a very confident aura around him. He walked in proud, moderate strides as if there was no one else in the room but him and his team.

At the back of those that most likely composed the girls basketball team of Martin High were several students their age. And to her surprise – and amusement – most of them held what she can perceive as banners that most probably will be used to cheer their team during the game. She chuckled at the thought. An unofficial game and yet, the spirit of competition still taints the air.

Steve smiled as he heard Leah’s almost silent laughter. At least she’s not in a bad mood anymore.

“What’s funny, babe?” he asked nonchalantly while putting his arm around Leah.

Oh, and when you’re suddenly having fun, he’s there to ruin it…again. She groaned inwardly. “Nothing.”

“Aw, c’mon Leah. Don’t tell me your still mad?”

“No, I am not mad.” She turned to face the – to her – now uninteresting spike-haired blonde. “I am pissed off.”

“Leah, look, I’m really sorry, okay? What do you want me to do?” He paused as if to think, “If you really want to hang out with your friends, how about I let you be with them later, at the party? I promise I won’t be a bother.” He raised his hand up in sincere gesture, and Leah remembered the way he did the same antic earlier with Kyle.

All she did was raise her brow.

“Promise.” The athlete announced with more conviction.

“Okay, I’ll hold you to that Steve,” she finally said, her wary tone not lost to the young man.

Steve smiled, showing almost all the sets of his pearly white teeth. Leah Kyrr sighed inwardly.

He walked confidently through the large door and was not even the slightest bit surprised with the large crowd that was gathered inside the court. As a matter of fact, he was even pleased with the mob. Just goes to show Southdale needs the support. He smirked at such a thought. We’re not going to lose to them again this year.

He had carefully and selectively handpicked every single member of his team. He had been training them for the past months since their loss the previous year around. He had strictly given them strenuous exercises and taught them various techniques. In the past months, he had seen the improvement of Martin High Girls Basketball team, in both defense and offensive play. There can’t possibly be any mistake now, can it?

Last year though was a definite mistake. He wasn’t prepared. His team wasn’t prepared. No one had expected that the team of Southdale High had something up its sleeve. Someone.

Katrina Yase Hanson. Or Kyle as most people would point out.

She was still a junior then. No one thought such a junior could be that good. Even he had no idea.

Kyle was placed as shooting guard. And what a shooting guard she was.

He remembered the way the brunette did those effortless three-point shots. He remembered the first time she played the trick on his team. No one expected her to make it. Heck, no one even thought she’d do it. And yet, she placed the shot straight for the basket. Straight for the basket.

“She was just lucky,” he remembered telling his team during a time-out. And yet, as he watched Hanson do it over and over again, he wanted to spit those same words out. It wasn’t just luck. It was pure raw skill.

And if that wasn’t enough, Kyle Hanson was also one of the quickest players he’d ever seen. She knew where to run when she was being double-teamed. She knew where to go to when the game was getting rough. She knew how to screen her opponent so that her teammate can drive the ball to the basket. She knew how to handle the ball straight for her shot. And she definitely knew how to steal it from her opponent. It was as if she and the ball had been the best of friends since birth.

It was amazing to watch her from the sidelines. It was amazing to watch such wonderful play behold your eyes.

And he hated it. Because as much as it amazed the audience, it made him anxious. For his team.

Still, he can’t help but be stunned. She was the kind of player he had been looking for, for so long. And yet now that he found her, she was in an opposing team. And she had been the reason why they lost the league championship that Martin High had been cradling for the past decade.

Martin High Girls Basketball team had been the best team in the league for the past ten years. The other teams either feared them, or were contented with just second.

However, when Katrina Yase Hanson entered the picture, he wasn’t so sure anymore.

But this year is going to be different.

He didn’t care whether Kyle Hanson was the best guard he’d ever seen. He didn’t care if Kyle Hanson was even the best woman basketball player he’d ever seen. He didn’t care whether she led Southdale through the championship the previous year. He didn’t care whether she was named MVP, even though she had been just a junior. He didn’t care whether she was one of the chosen players for the team that represented the Southern Pacific District in an amateur national league that same year too. And he definitely didn’t care that she led that said team to the championship, even though the team eventually lost and placed second.

He didn’t care whether Kyle Hanson was so popular that sports magazines, as well as teen magazines had already featured her.

He didn’t care whether she was now already a senior, and obviously would be better than she was before.

He didn’t care that it was just an unofficial game his team was going to face against Hanson’s.

This year is going to be different.

And at the end of this league, Martin High will get what’s rightfully theirs.

She came through the door with the rest of the team, oblivious to the increase of noise among the crowd of people that surrounded the sidelines of the court. Probably because of the blaring noise from her headphones. Or maybe she just didn’t mind.

But when she felt the slightly more than gentle tap on her shoulder, she came back from her world of drums and electric guitars, to the real world. Looking up, she saw the meekly disappointed look of her coach and immediately stopped her cd player to give him her full attention. Apparently, she was fully aware of his short-tempered nature.

“Finally you stopped that damn thing.”

“Sorry coach. What’s the prob?”

He nodded towards the group of girls in gray jerseys that was obviously warming up for the game. A girl that sported her dark brown hair in a ponytail, continuously gave her teammates a few pep talks during the exercises.

“Seems like Hanson’s leading the pack now,” he said unimpressed.

“Okay…?” she replied, not sure what he was hinting at.

“I want you to take her on.”

“Huh?”

“Be in constant alert. See to it she doesn’t get the chance to score.”

Regina bit her lower lip in contemplation. “That’ll be hard, coach.”

Coach Arnold Reichter looked his trusted player in the eye. “Are you saying, you can’t do it?”

She raised her hands as if to block the elder man’s outburst. “No, no. Definitely not coach. I’m just saying it’s gonna be tough job.”

“You were with Hanson in the Southern Pacific team, Hill. You, of all people, should know how she plays. It wouldn’t be as tough as you think it is,” he reassured.

Oh, it will be tough. Regina groaned under her breath just so the elder wouldn’t notice. Apparently, she was mistaken.

“What’s that about, Hill?” he asked, now a bit impatient with her.

“Umm…nothing.” She quickly said with eyes wide like a deer caught in the headlights. “I’m just…ummm… going there…” pointed towards the opposing team, “to…ummm… you know… say ‘hi’ before the game and all…” And she was off before he was even able to say another word.

“Here comes your admirer, Kyle,” Jen said with a snicker, nodding towards the fast approaching redhead behind her friend.

“What?” Kyle asked, clearly not knowing what Jen was talking about.

“Regina Hill.”

“Huh?”

The other girls in the team giggled as Kyle looked to her back and saw a smiling girl advancing towards them.

“Regina is totally into Kyle,” Jen said to the rest of the team, which spurred another round of giggles.

Kyle shrugged, “Whatever.”

“Hey guys! Hey Kyle,” Regina said as she neared the group.

“Told you,” Jen pointed out to the rest of the team.

Another round of giggles.

“Oh, and by the way, happy birthday Jen,” the redhead said with a smile. “Nice hair.”

“Thank you.”

“So you guys warming up?”

“Yeah.” It was Kyle that answered. Calling over the other girls’ attention, she made the proper introductions. “Team, this is Regina Hill of Martin High.”

“Hey,” she waved her hand towards the other girls, who waved their hands and gave their ‘hi’ in return.

“You know, Jen,” Kyle pointed to her dark-haired friend as Regina nodded. “These are Chenille, Dinah, and Kristy,” she said introducing the other key members of the team. Afterwards, Kyle continued introducing the other bench players and substitutes.

When introductions were over, Regina asked Kyle who had returned to warming up. “So, you ready for the game?”

“To tell you honestly, a while ago, no. But now that I think of it, I think I am.”

“Great. Good luck.”

“Yeah, you’re team too.”

Jen snickered which caused Kyle to look at her. The earlier shrugged while the rest of the team giggled. Seeing as she might have already extended her greetings, Regina turned to leave with a “Bye guys. Good luck.”

When the redhead had already reached her own team, Kristy, center player and tallest of the girls in the team turned towards Kyle, “What is wrong with you, girl?”

Kyle sighed, “What now?”

“She’s pretty and very much into you.”

“So?”

Jen, Kristy, and Chenille gasped all at the same time.

“Can we please stop talking about my non-existent lovelife – mind you, I intend it to remain that way – and please go back to warming up? We have a game coming up in a few minutes and even though it’s just unofficial, it’s still a game.”

Kristy whispered to Jen, “What is wrong with her?”

Jen shrugged. Let’s see about that attitude of yours tonight, Kyle.

***Cail***

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:59 am 
ooooo! yay! update! i had just about given up on this :( but alas! chapter two saved me from my despair :D

i like the speed of this fic! and also the description of Kyle's basketball talents, i was a lil confused about coaches and players and stuff, but that's probably just because i'm sleepy and sunburnt and retarded right now lol.

You gotta have a chapter three right?!!!! :D pwwweeaase?

- Bellness :cool

The shape of you

Is etched inside

My bruised and somewhat sculptured mind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:39 pm 
Hey..wow..I love this already :love . Love sam xx

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong. And those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie Sammler (Evan Rachel Wood)