The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Guiding Light: "Otalia"
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:50 pm 
5. Willowhand

xita wrote:
Willow/Tara fans certainly learned patience as we had to wait almost a year for a kiss and that was after they were officially a couple. I don't mind the waiting, but it doesn't quite make sense with any kind of story, unfortunately.

I feel the exact opposite. While I wasn't an active Kitten (or even a Buffy fan) during the airing of those pivotal W/T episodes (I remember becoming fanatic in the time period during the US airing of "Normal Again", so I had lots of "back history" episodes to hold me over so to speak, and, of course, at the same time having to deal with the whole Joss and ME falling out, those are still some scarily vivid memories btw... brrr), Otalia (canon) to me feels a bit more fleshed out classic storytelling-wise and when you think about it old-school soap opera-wise it makes perfect sense to wait.

Then again, I guess it's hard to compare two totally different genres (weekly fantasy show vs. daily soap opera), but IMO it's still very interesting to try . So I shall, since I'm a love-whipped geek. It's a bit of a long ramble, beware! (Blame it on a serious lack of Otalia this week... a girl's gotta get her fix somehow!)

What makes Otalia special in my eyes is that you can begin canonizing the love story all the way back to when Olivia and Natalia were the two women battling it out over Gus' "heart" (and yes, I'm shamelessly using the expression ). IMO this rivalry should be included in their story because without it, you couldn't grasp the scope in how far they've come along in their relationship. So basically their story begins in January 2008. Olivia becomes ill and (because of Alan's badgering) starts interfering between Gus and Natalia. From that point on up until Olivia realizes she might be in love with Nat, we've got a year's worth of scenes building up to that conclusion (January '09 has the M2M presentation, which in my opinion really started to snowball it all). The build-up and investment, is what makes the falling in love so credible.

Now, let's compare that to W/T (with the emphasis on canon; I still believe that's an important distinction to make, even after all these years). A whole different show, different format, different time perhaps? (in terms of a social mindset, "Girls kissing? Blasphemy!", but also in terms of technological advances, for instance, there was no youtube... woa, let that puppy sink in for a moment!), different writers with different senses of responsibilities (ya think?! ahem, sorry, sarcasm with a fringe of bitterness), different everything really, except for the fact that damn, do I love our witches too or what? Otalia to me, is like Willow and Tara 2.0, the Jossian "Lesbian Cliche" Hell Redeemed; Soulmates FTMFW!

Willow and Tara and other f/f couples in all those different fandoms have cleared the way for this story to emerge. I feel it, because of the make up I see in the fandom. I see fans of Xena, I see J/7, I see O/A, I see Buffy, I see Bad Girls, I see BAM, I even see SiP!, I see them all coming together in Otalia.

Note: the following comparison could also be made with other non-daytime shows. Except, maybe, The L Word. That show stands alone all by itself .

So, Tara first arrives on the scene in Hush. Totally romantic btw, all with the longing gazes, silent handholding and the flying sodamachine. Not much was said, not a lot of screen time, but back in those days (where there was no such thing as The L Word, it meant THE WORLD to most of us, I know it certainly did to me). There wasn't a whole lot of building up the love story, it couldn't have happened anyway, Buffy was a 40+ minute weekly show, so the W/T story line mostly got scuffled under the Initiative rug, draped in subtext and off-screen spec. It wasn't up until New Moon Rising did the "regular" Buffy viewer finally get an L shaped clue bonked on their head. Hush was episode no. 10 (Dec 14th '99), NMR episode 19 (May 2nd 2000). In a scope of 9 episodes (granted, spread over a time period of 5 months), Willow and Tara met, fell in love and started a relationship. How much of that did we actually see on screen? I went back and checked some of the running times of the clips (sigh... dems were some good times huh? ). It's not really accurate, but if we would go by 5 minutes of real W/T screen time an ep, times 8, that would make roughly a wopping 40 minutes of actual "falling in love" screen time that we as an audience got to see (I'm not gonna count NMR, because by that time, W/T already had their 'ship smoothly sailing in sunny waters... before a little Oz storm interrupted, luckily, they weathered it out ... Or am I fanwanking this too and was it just all up to interpretation and open for debate?! Stupid subtext and metaphorical magic sex! j/k, I still love it, don't worry). Other clues had to be filled in by the way of fanficcing it and/or character-studying our way through off-screen magic-induced subtext (again, sigh... those were the days, was it not?) And once New Moon Rising happened, it was stated as that. Willow and Tara. Couple. Done deal.

Now, I can't go figure things out in the way of calculating Otalia's screen time last year, but let's say that when I got hooked I had to free a whole weekend to catch it all up. Though I could give a rough estimate from what I've seen: if a s/l is on in a regular ep, chances are that it runs for approximately 8 minutes give or take. Say a s/l is on maybe twice a week, that gives us 16 minutes. Times that with 52 and that's a whole lotta screen time peeps!

(So, Willow and Tara; 40 minutes vs. Olivia and Natalia; 800 minutes. It's kind of stunning really, but not much surprising. It's soap after all. Still, crazy that I hadn't thought of it before... when used for the forces of good, soap rules them all, when used for bad... yikes! But I digress...)

And according to what we've seen this week and last's, Otalia's STILL NOT OFFICIALLY in coupledom waters, even though they kinda already were and are and it is so totally obvious to us audiences and that's what makes it so deliciously frustrating and such great storytelling. We all get to SEE it. How ridiculous their protesting and wavering may be, we get to see aaaallll of it. And I'm placing a bet on it, that when they do get down with the dirty, we are gonna be privy in seeing that too.

Following along the same reasoning, the time between W/T's "outing" as a couple (that was NMR) and W/T first on-screen maintext kiss (9 months later in The Body), would go over really crooked when compared to Otalia (but this is future, hopefully very near future speculation on my part, since we haven't freaking seen it yet): I honestly believe that the minute those two decide, hey we're really REALLY a couple, that the kiss will soon follow, if not immediately, and even might go hand in hand (that is, realization = kiss, much in the same fashion as the "D'ya see? D'ya see now what they think?" kiss). Again, it's spec, so I'm probably wrong here.

Meh.

And maybe you could just all chalk this up to differences in taste and genre, but I still find this all very fascinating. Is patience a virtue? (never quite understood what that meant lmao). Maybe. I do know, that this patience will be rewarded (in terms of what it has taught me about story telling, it already has). Man and that makes me think of CBS again and how much they suck. Damn you CBS! Damn you!

Hee, I just thought of a great analogy. Pace-wise, Otalia's like EasierSaid's "Neverland" over at DCP! And we all know how much that story rawks!

Agnes Nixon knew her shit when she said: "Make them laugh, make them cry, make them wait." To me, Otalia is the true personification of that...

so...

have I fangirled enough for today?

Last edited by Rocktoddy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:14 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
I want to start with, I love Otalia. I think they are adorable and I am in it to the end. So, my criticism isn't about that. It's the kind of story I love because it is about love (I haven't watched the l word in years, btw).

I am also not criticizing being a fangirl, because there was no bigger fangirl than I. I just can't do that again. It isn't a lie when I tell you that my heart is still w/t heartbroken. I can never do that again, cause certainly I am one that will take it overboard. Plus, I just don't have the time, my wife would not be amused. It's a good thing I was in a completely different relationship back in the day. Anyway, I will enjoy the show for what it is and will not place faith in any writing team ever. There are so many factors that are involved in a story that not one person is ever responsible. More on that later.

Now, comparing w/t to otalia was never my intention. It's apples and oranges. Can't be compared. First, one is a weekly show, the other a daytime soap opera. The only comment I was making was about patience. If you didn't watch it in real time, it's hard to imagine how long that wait for the kiss was for w/t fans. Almost a year from the time they officially became a couple. Put it in perspective, people want an otalia kiss now, you'd have to wait till next April to see it. My problem isn't the waiting. It's ignoring the fact that something other than simple story telling is preventing their kiss.

W/T were in a lot of ways the first of a kind. First, it started 9 years ago. There were certain barriers not yet broken. Even within Buffy a same sex kiss happened way quicker after w/t had theirs. There were many hands at play that prevented that kiss and story telling was not it. Guiding Light have had all kinds of doors open to them, there has been daytime kissing. There has been lots of groundwork done for them. I cannot forgive them for the lack of kissing now, I will not accept that.

TV shows are way more ready to show women kissing when it doesn't involve love. When women are just kissing out of curiosity, to make a man jealous, there's no problem showing that. When there's big love involved, it seems like tv is more reticent to show that kiss. Even Otalia kissed when it didn't mean anything. Why so gun shy now? My frustration doesn't even come from the fact that they haven't kissed yet, it's that they haven't even filmed it. Who knows when it's coming.

I am and will always follow any lesbian storyline anywhere. That's me, that's my interest, lesbians in the media. I don't just follow American tv either. I am sophisticated enough to have followed tv shows around the world. There are plenty that have done it right and none much better than Verbotene Liebe (except the current storyline). And that is comparing apples to apples since it's a daily serial. I have also seen Spanish and Brazilian telenovelas (soaps) which have dealt with the issues in a very real blunt manner (099 Central) and a very romantic true love way, without much action, (Senhora do Destino). For American TV Otalia could usher a new honesty in the way we tell our stories, but... they may be dropping the ball.

I know that many believe that the "slow burn" is story driven, but I am having a hard time believing that. They are being treated differently because they are 2 women. I do not believe that if you change Olivia's name to Oliver that they would not have kissed by now. I do not believe it for a second. I have read comparisons to Dark Shadows. I am a bit of a Dark Shadows fan so I know I wanted Barnabas to find himself some love. And I ate up every second of the wait, even when it often went unfulfilled. But the wait, the wait Agnes Nixon talks about has to be believable. Keep the characters away because of plot... real reasons to keep them apart. It seems very artificial to keep two characters apart who have admitted they love each other when they have no obstacles between them. 2 characters that claim they know what it means to say I love you. It doesn't ring true at all.

Mind you, at this point, I am still buying it. I am still there with the show in terms of it being believable. But will it be believable a month from now? I have my serious doubts.

I don't think that the writing is dictating the slow pace. I have a feeling it's the powers that be. Evidence? CC's chat. She mentioned the story being interactive. She almost suggested that if you wanted to see more intimacy you better let the show know. They are waiting out reactions, she said that. That's not about writing, that's gay panic. The other part is in her interview, she said that the storyline had to be approved by network and proctor and gamble. They have to approve a kiss, don't believe for a second that the writers are in charge.

Do I believe they will kiss? yes, Will there be a love scene? A kind of one, probably. Will it ti be too late? Probably. The show is off the air in September, it will have been a shame to have wasted so much of their screen time on saying over and over again things like, "what are we, what's next..." I hope we get a lot more than that.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:17 am 
17. Mega-Witches

In terms of the pacing of the story, personally I don't think one can minimize

1) These are both heretofore heterosexual women (women, not girls. I feel it's safe to say that both O & N felt they had established heterosexual identities prior to each other. Both have been knocked for a loop, on that point alone)

2) Both are single mothers, with complicated relationships w/ their children and/or exes. Incredibly important, as anyone who either IS or has DATED a single mother can tell you!

and finally,

3) One is a practicing Catholic, and has shaped her personal (inc. sexual) morality around its teachings (even if---ESP. if!---failing to always practice those teachings. The fact that Natalia has been previously shown in times of having casual sex, if not skankitude---I haven't seen enough to be sure---notwithstanding, her faith has always been the foundation of her sense of self)

GG Put these three facts together and---like the proverb about teaching a bear to dance---it's amazing that they've gotten this far AT ALL! ;-) Out

Sure, I think they should be kissing now---but I can still see WHY they're not. Coupled w/ actors (thanks CC&JL! :kiss) spoiling us about pay-off down the line, I'm certainly willing to wait... :peace

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:32 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I also don't think we can underestimate the effect Jessica Leccia's pregnancy is having on the storyline and the waiting.

She's gonna have that kid soon, and go on maternity leave, and Natalia will be gone for a little while. That's gotta be influencing how they write things. I can't help but think the feet-dragging probably wouldn't be quite so much if it wasn't for that. And it's not like TPTB can control that, so I can't get too annoyed.

Then again, I'll be happy if I just get a bit of kissing, and hopefully a love scene, before getting a happy Otalia ending on September 18th. Don't much care how they get there.

And because for me, one of the best things about being obsessed with a new pairing is the awesome stuff fans create, some recs:

Fics

Turn to Me by Wonko - Natalia has to come to terms with her feelings for Olivia alone when Olivia is seriously injured. Shoots off from canon after the non-wedding. Some angst, and some sweet romance. So far my favorite of the Otalia fics.

Coming Apart at the Seams by DiNovia - Natalia lusting over Olivia in a pair of jeans. Hot and funny.

Hero Myth by Juri - Emma's sick and she asks Natalia to tell her a story. Very cute and sweet.

Another First Kiss by rocketchick - Olivia and Natalia have another first kiss. Several, in fact.

Vids

Ode to Olivia and Girlfriend by lejunkdrawer.

She Has a Girlfriend Now by TheFantods.

What About Now by tallulah71.

Comics

An ongoing series by nut meggers...
Untitled and A Reactionary Tale
Let's Talk About...Sex?
Olivia Big Spoon
Now You See It, Now You Don't
Cruel and Unsual
5 Stages of Grief

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:20 am 
2. Floating Rose

Cool...Otalia comics! :party

Look for more Otalia next week! :peace

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:17 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Oh, the awesomeness of today's Otalia! :party :pride :party :pride

In the SMACKDOWN of Natalia versus Father Ray, guess which Catholic priest got his head handed to him? :smash

GG This show (well, the Otalia parts anyway) is To Love... :happycry Out

Everything BUT a kiss (and they came SO close! ;-)). But we'll get there, we'll get there... :blush

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Still not holding out for a kiss, but gosh, they were adorable. I am happy with today's ep. I fully admit I don't watch any of the rest of the soap so I spoil myself so I know when to watch and fast forward.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:03 pm 
8. Vixen

I have been away from the Kitten Board for a long time now, but I knew I could come back and find some entertaining, enlightening and thought-provoking discussions on my newest obsession....Otalia.

I am hooked. I am so hooked that I am currently downloading all of the clips from Youtube so I can put them together and edit out all of the other characters. Anyone who wants to watch definitely needs to get caught up on the backstory from last year.

I would also recommend watching two of my favorite fan vids of all time. They definitely rank right up there with Foomatic's W/T vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUTQrFFN-5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK5SwjqsiaA

The second one gives me goosebumps. If you are not hooked after watching those then I don't know what anyone could do to convince you.

Gatito Grande, Xita, Rocktoddy, the hero factor and Kendahl897, it's nice to see you all again.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:37 am 
5. Willowhand

Hey dorksrcool, nice to have ya back! ;)

The Kitten sure does feel like coming home, doesn't it? I know that no matter how many years pass by, I'll always drop in here from time to time. Willow and Tara will forever occupy the no.#1 spot in my heart when it comes to fancoupledom :D it's just that now they might have to start sharing that title, teehee!

In any case, I hope my last post wasn't too much of a jumble. Sometimes the swirly stuff in my head needs to be let out and what safer place to do that than on the Kitten, right? :p

Still floating on air from last week's sweetness. The NearKissHug, the Battle of the Scriptures, the Benchslide on the corner of Smooth and Suave, the flirting at work (even if interrupted by JustGreg!), the sad little picnic (even if interrupted by the Furtz :angry) and Liv's GoL voicemail message to Nat :x ... sigh. 'T was a good Otalia week! :blush

By the by, I swore to never get on Twitter, but as soon as Crystal does it, I am following like a meek little sheep! LOL! At least now I'm following Amber and Aly too... Twitter IS kind of awesome!

For your reading pleasure, Lana M. Nieves has a great blog where she talks about GL and Otalia (like the power dynamic in their relationship and the seemingly non-issue that is race/ethnicity in couples these days). Check it out! http://superherolunchbox.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:06 pm 

Quote:
Anyone who wants to watch definitely needs to get caught up on the backstory from last year.

Absolutely. I decided to give Otalia a try last month just before the non-wedding. I watched a few clips and was like, that's nice I guess, but it didn't really grab me.

Then this awesome Otalia guide came up on my flist, and I started at the beginning, and BAM! Hooked city.

There's just something so compelling about the fact that they didn't like each other at first, but gravitated toward each other anyway. The gradual evolution of their relationship has been amazing, and makes where they are right now all the more enjoyable.

And speaking of Twitter, this is a cute little Twitter-inspired Otalia fic, by Wonko: Twitterpated. Enjoy!

ETA:
Quote:
For your reading pleasure, Lana M. Nieves has a great blog where she talks about GL and Otalia (like the power dynamic in their relationship and the seemingly non-issue that is race/ethnicity in couples these days). Check it out! http://superherolunchbox.blogspot.com

Yes. I especially recommend the entry titled Natalia Rivera: Freaking Superhero or Power Bottom... Good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:28 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I'm usually not big on online polls (and this one's for TV Guide in Canada sez the Yank ;-)), but how can you resist THIS one???

Which summer (soap) storyline are you most looking forward to?

GG ...and it's "Otalia making love, 'GL'" FTMFW!!! :pinky Out

(Just look for the "Weekly Poll" on the left hand side of the page . . . and see how popular Our Grrlz already are: currently #1, w/ 73% of the total vote! :lol)

If your obsess--, nay, investment in Otalia has risen to truly frightening levels, then you may enjoy this podcast as much as I do: Pancakes and a Valium (The site name refers, of course, to Liv's breakfast-of-choice :smug) Liz and Dani are wicked smart, and wicked funny (and, moreover, stick to the subject of Otalia a little bit better than certain other podcasts. I'm just sayin'... :peace)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:34 pm 
8. Vixen

Whew, I'm gonna step back in here and get a little Kitten :kgeek action because the BPD board is CRAZY. I'm sure it was probably the same way on this board when W/T were actually on television (I didn't discover them until a few years later), but all the drama is a little much for me.

Anyhoo, what did y'all think of the Otalia :x love this week? If they would've leaned any closer to each other and tilted their heads farther today they would have kissed for sure! :laugh

They are so cute and in love. I just feel so anxious about the pace because Jessica is going on maternity leave soon and the show is done in September. All of the BPD folks are counting on GL landing somewhere else but I have my doubts. I just don't think we have too much time to waste if we actually want to see them be a "supercouple."

:peace

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:12 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Not joining the BPD board is the one thing I'm doing to maintain my sanity (to avoid getting sucked in beyond the point-of-no-return). As it is, I still check out the PBP on Otalia days (which is just about the only part of the board visible to the Great Unregistered).

So, it's KWAZY there you say?

I'm not surprised.

Being involved in the Otalia fandom now, reminds me of being a "Hardcore NutBall" in the XWP fandom, circa 1997-1998: when show-sponsored "Net Forum" was off-the-charts busy (off-the-charts busy for that time!). Of course, it was its very intensity (i.e., "investment", aka obsession), which soon led to the kind of acting-out which got the place nicknamed the "Nut Forum". :crazy

Intensity = Investment = Obsession = Crazy, I'm afraid.

GG Let's hope this fandom survives better than a few others I've known! :paranoid Out

On-topic: two steps forward, one step back. That's Otalia, most weeks. Overall, it equals progress, of course. I, too, am "ledging" (a term I learned in this fandom, as I did "FTW" "FTMFW" and "made of win" and "Ded") re the September (CBS, at least) End Date.

As was mentioned early on in this thread, having an end-date has its pluses: it's attractive to those of us not usually drawn to soaps (who like a :love "...and they lived Happily Ever After" :love at some point, to conclude a Love Story! :wtkiss)

And, as they say, an "execution date concentrates the mind" :yikes That is, it might actually take Our Otalia Love Story further (say, in physical depiction :pray), than they (The Suits, NOT including any of the Four Goddesses: CC, JL, EW and JLH) might otherwise have been inclined to go.

But Ack! An End Date less than four months away including a maternity leave??? Not enough time, not enough time, not near enough time!!! :spin

You know what *I* think would be Ideal? For (Lifetime, Oxygen, insert other cable network name here) to pick up Guiding Light for AT LEAST six months, but no longer than two years. Time enough to send-off the 70+ year-old "Grande Dame" in grand style (bringing back anyone/everyone who wants to come back, reuniting Super-Couples, wrapping up ALL the dangling s/ls), WITHOUT the kind of open-ended commitment that sends too many of us away from a soap at some point (like my mid-80s AMC watching). One can only be obsessed for So Long! :sleepy

So, whadday'all think of that? :hmm [Heh: what does sexual biologist Dr. Helen Fisher say the peak time of a couple's "pair-bonding" is? 18 months! Just right! :lol]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:34 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Nice to see all of you as well, conversating again.

It's more like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Frustrating to say the least. I loved the cuteness of last week, the flirting. This week back to no touching and stupid Rafe. I have no patience for him. Combine that with yes, 3 months left, -1 for maternity leave. And top of it off, 2 days a week? Am I the only one who doesn't watch the rest of the soap? I don't really care.

I do love these characters together and yeah... I feel rather intense about it. I do think they should have kissed by now and I don't think they'll be kissing for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:48 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

It'll be 4 days this coming week (T-F): that's an improvement!

And Jessica's 4 week maternity leave (which she's now on, though I don't believe baby has made her appearance YET. Safe delivery/healthy little girl, Jessica! :pray) doesn't necessarily mean 4 weeks "Notalia". And though I'm still trying to resist getting sucked into the whole GL shebang, I have NO problems watching Liv-on-her-own, which I think will be fascinating to say the least (I'll spare y'all my spec! :stink). *

My gut (and nothing more) tells me there will be a kiss by the 4th of July.

OK, well a little more:

[spoiler]CC has tweeted she's played (as Olivia) some Major Boo-Hooing around the time of GL's famous "Bauer BBQ" (shown) on the 4th. On or around that time, Natalia will leave. Again, note: NOT necessarily for a month! I think a kiss will have occurred by then.[/spoiler]

GG Yes, I've become a Spoiler Whore, too. ;-) Out

* Well, just one item of spec--- I'll lay ODDS, that No Natalia means one thing: we'll see more of Mayor Doris, capice? :lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:21 pm 

I'm just splashing through the shallow end to say that Olivia looked so hot today. I'm very glad she got rid of the blonde hair. The darker hair is just so...THUD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:09 am 
5. Willowhand

This week (6/9-6/12) is proving to be one of the best in Otalia history, on the show itself, as well as with all the purple buzzing going on around it.

Big Purple Dream's Destini met up with CC in NY on Tuesday and it was all twitterpalooza with pictures! Crystal looked verry good and she was so touched and grateful for the gifts which she received from the BPD and her own fanclub in honor of her 10th anniversary as Olivia Spencer on Guiding Light. Today Destini does the studio tour, and she's twittering all about it! Yay! Talk about lucky timing :D.

Personal Squee Fangirl Moment of the Week: I got a CC-tweet shout out late last night (it was just a "LOL" reply to something I wrote, apparently funny ;) ), I so did not expect that and almost fainted, though not so much ded that I couldn't wake up the entire house at 2.30am with my ohmygod'ing spazzfest, ha! Residents were non-amused. That tweet has been screencapped and will forever be saved! :D The woman truly is a Goddess. And *I* made her laugh out loud y'all! :blush hahahaha!!

There were also some surprise extra previews, but that's gonna spoil, so my lips are sealed. Just until the west coast airing's done mind you, then all is fair game :P

And of course THE BEST PURPLE GL NEWS OF TODAY:

Courtesy of Crystal's tweet:

"Yes! Jess and Brian had little Ivy.
You know that child is beautiful.
There's Jess...Hello! And Brian is
adorable. My girl can see her feet!"

also see http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

No more Babybump, only happy healthy Baby Dimples: Bundle of Joy. State of actual dimples present unknown, heh. And how cute is it that she called Jess "my girl"? That right there makes me happy. They must be good friends in RL. Go see (the?) Advocate outtakes. Yes again ;)

Now switching over from all that RL stuff to the show, how much did I enjoy yesterday's ep? It was so much fun! Even though I was spoilerho'd like crazy on the Josh/Olivia kiss, it wasn't nearly as horrible (or cheating-y) as I had imagined it would be. I mean, come on, the campy beach music?! What the...? :laugh Clearly the kiss was being played as comically silly and only meant to illustrate what had gone on before, with Blake reading her cheesy romance novel 'n all (quite lively I must say), reminding Liv she too is all desperately hot 'n bothered, a case of LUST if you will (Liv's Unresolved Sexual Tension). A most recurring theme throughout the ep; Olivia sexually pining away for Natalia.

The first scene with Olivia in her fuchsia robe, eating Nat's cookie on the bed, so so sensually... did anyone else think this was MAJOR subtext for Liv conducting a "solo performance" in the morning? If food = sex on this show, and JLH is the Gourmet Chef, then this was definitely code for self-servin'. That woman can cook up anything storytelling-wise, and I'd eat it! Er, yeah.

Yoga-scene. OMG. I laughed hysterically at all the compromising yoga positions. When the voice told her to "press against the floor" after she had practically already rolled her Hips Don't Lie against the yoga mat while dry-humping the air, I lost it and apparently Olivia did too. Her chucking the Adidas on her feet half-way was priceless, as was her stomping out of the room. CC and comedy? More please!

Then oh oh, Blake again. THAT MUSIC! SO BAD! SO GOOD! SO... INSANE! The apparatus (or as CC calls it "pleasure purchase") and Blake showing up from out of nowhere, going "yeah, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do". With the impending cancellation GL's just going all out now.

And all the while Nat is dealing with Rafe. Me thinks Dimples is channeling her own kind of sexual brand of frustration into the only way she knows how. Mothering. Re: scene at the parole officer's. I laughed my butt off:

"Large scale community service project, reaching out to people in need."
"We baked cookies."
"Well yeah and the cookies went to people in shelters, hospitals, nursing homes..."

ROFL! Embellishing much? Just a bit maybe? Also her agitated "Right? RAFAEL?!", made of pure snarky Ma!NatWin. She's trying TOO hard for this not to mean just getting Rafe on the right track. My spec: fixing Rafe's mess of a life = finally being able getting it on with Liv, hence, all the incessant and tireless pushing. She needs to get some too, ASAP. Just, different outlet. And then her ordering the beer at the end? Gee-Nee-Us.

So yeah. Bring on today's ep! I've already been in the first pbp today (which was brimming with this kinetic energy!), I can't wait to see for myself what's in store today! And it's going to be so oh so good. Cookie dough batter good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:41 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Heh, Rocktoddy, you beat me to it w/ the Big News: welcome to the world, Ivy! :baby

(I hope and pray Jessica is doing just fine after labor n' all. Gotta say though, Rocktoddy, re CC's tweet: And Brian is adorable. My girl can see her feet!" In context, I think that's hubby Brian who's saying "My girl can see her feet". I understand he's a huge Otalia fan, too. ;-))

Speaking of tweets: congrats on getting Chappell'd yourself, RT!

Now I KNOW that the plane flying overhead during today's SQUEErrific final scene---about which I'll say no more, for the West Coasters, of whom I'll BE one next week :smash---was just one dragging the sign that says "JUST KISS HER ALREADY!", however: dang, it was loud! :sh

Back on the outrageous Spec Train: just how IS Natalia "going away" (for Jess's ML)? And for how long? :paranoid

GG Can't say anymore w/o spoilerage, ergo, gonna take my own advice! :sh Out

Otalia FTMFW! :smug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Well after all the pretty of today, a pretty fucked up way to end the day but CC is going back to Days of our Lives. I am of two minds about it, I would have liked at least a few more months of GL but that's the way things work. On the other hand, sooner or later the soap would have brought other people to break them up, etc. So we should get a happy ending. It's really too bad, a few more months would have been more satisfying.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:38 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

...and scooped again.

Oy Vey. :happy

Like I said a few posts up, the September ending date seems So Damn Soon (esp. accompanied by the additional weeks of JL's filming absence, if not completely Natalia's).

GG Give us a Great First Time Scene, some kind of commitment "celebration" (JL's podcast term), and then permanently off to fanfic land... :spin Out

There's one scene I really WANT to see (spec): Natalia gives Olivia a large, flat, dress-type box (splendidly wrapped). Inside, in coordinating, but hideously day-glo colors, side-by-side, are two track suits, and one of those over-sized TV remotes on top. Olivia opens it, but takes a second or two to process it (dumbfounded). Natalia speaks: "Next thing you know, we''ll on the couch fighting over the remote in matching jogging suits like an old married couple. I never forgot those words, Olivia. I couldn't. That's what I want, with you." :happycry

And with that thought, I'm off to a wistful night... :paranoid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:07 am 
5. Willowhand

God Gatito, that really is beautiful :sob. Okay, great, now I'm crying. If that don't happen I'm sending that scenario to mariacomet to implement in her fic.

CC with DOOL?! Oh man. Sorry, but I need a moment (feel like cursing, feel like crying, feel my heart breaking right now... grieving sucks!).

Lucky for me I crashed last night after watching the show (there was some serious thudding and flatlining going on in the Lateshift pbp) so I ended yesterday on a really high note, but to wake up to this news and realize September (so close!) really is gonna be endgame (with Otalia as The It Couple, but still...), I'm just... :cry. I need a stiff drink. Where's that vodka bottle?

I'll follow CC anywhere, but I don't know how much I'd be trying to catch DOOL on the net for this. We'll see.

FUCBS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:15 pm 
3. Flaming O

I believe CC and the other folks at GL and Telenet tried as hard as they could, but my the end of May with no offers on the table, the writing was on the wall. But it will be ending on a high note, with the hottest story on daytime TV. And Xita's right. They will get the happy ending b/c they've known this was coming since April and they have this sl planned out to the end. I think once JL is back from her ML, the Otalia sl will come down off the angst climb and back to getting our girls together.

How much did you love this week's show? Josh-the old Olivia would have jumped in the car with him, the new Olivia wants Natalia and only Natalia. It's all about love. The shop--did you ever think you'd see two women discussing vibrators/ dildos on daytime? Nat and the Sex Talk- when Livia said she would still love her even if they never- the look on Nat's face was priceless..What? No...I want sex too. Another great conversation.

Now get us through the angst of July and it will be smooth sailing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:47 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Quote:
God Gatito, that really is beautiful . Okay, great, now I'm crying. If that don't happen I'm sending that scenario to mariacomet to implement in her fic.

Thanks RT---but I'm cheap, not free! (i.e., attribution please! ;-))

I got only a few hours of sleep, and considered bailing on my spiritual director today---also while being ANXIOUS about my taping of GL on the day of digital changeover! It taped just fine, though. (Yes, I still have a VCR---I'm seeing VCRs mocked more and more, but some of us can't afford a DVR: I digress! :rolleyes). But I went, and I feel much better now.

Probably most of us on The Kitten have been obsessed w/ a TV show before: we know they can't last forever---or will Jump the Shark before they end---but always wish that somehow THE HIGH will last.

It can't.

However, all things considered, I'd RATHER it end with us wanting more, than feel it peaked and then fell apart. Since the latter is of the Nature of the Beast w/ soaps, MUCH better the former!

And with the Otalia storyline, ironically, there's the opportunity for a PEAK ending (Sex&Celebration) within 3 months without it feeling rushed.

I mean, think about it: as Olivia said (upon getting back from SF "Calidornia") "We DO work". In many respects, this relationship (in addition to being groundbreaking) has been bass-ackwards: instead of doing the final things in building a relationship w/ a partner last, they did 'em first. Building a home and raising a child. Ergo, if Olivia and Natalia go from Teh Kissin' to Da Lovin' to Teh Marryin' (Home Sweet FoL!) in just a few weeks :pray ---having already put in their year-plus of angst to get to that point---won't there be more than a little logic to it? (I realize that speaking of "logic" in a love-story---and even moreso, in a SOAP!---is ironic, to say the least :lol)

So, to sum up the last 20 hours of my "Nervous Breakthrough": I'm just going to enjoy the time left w/ Otalia, and savor every precious minute of it. :heart

GG ...while TRYING not to scream at all the other GL storylines, taking time away from the only thing on the show that REALLY matters. Screw Edmund and Diamonds and Bizzie and Jeva---and frelling Frank! :stink Out

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:29 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

That's the peace I've made it with it too. I will try to enjoy it and believe that there will be payoff. My biggest worry is that as the show wraps up, there will be old characters showing up for attention etc, I hope that Otalia will feature till the end and won't be a small part of the big ending. One can only hope.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:32 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I read rocktoddy's spec and xita's reply with interest & wanted to make a few comments... some of this is a bit old by now, sorry if so, I don't get to check in here very often.

I think Otalia clocks in at over 10 hours of screen-time thus far. Bad Girls--which first aired cotemporaneously if not a bit before the W/T s/l, I believe--I haven't clocked, oddly enough (it's my fandom), but I think almost 30/39 eps over 3 years featured the couple, and there is no doubt they're the engine that ran the show. Given it was a nighttime drama in another country, I'm honestly not sure how far the comparison can be taken; wildly different audiences, & radically different characters. And very different age groups for both characters AND audiences.

It took the main couple in Bad Girls (it's 10 years later but I'd sure hate to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it) two full series to get together. The Otalia s/l was clearly intended for supercouple-dom, which also averages two years: not even Bo & Carly, for that matter--straights on a different soap (ugh) slept together until that amount of time had passed. So despite the different genre conventions, it seems like there might actually be a sort of standard trajectory for building a storyline around featured couples up to teh sex. Because after sex come complications--and resolution. And that's what we'll be missing here. Olivia & Natalia had *plenty* of other places to go as a couple without having the standard crap-soap story-arcs of betrayal, babies, affairs, blahblah. Primarily: showing their integration into their community, which I think was the second part of GL's gameplan/agenda for this couple.

Do I agree that part of the delays built in to the non-kissage are not organic to the story, therefore irritating? Yes. But this is soap opera: you have to accept its structural constraints. I found it frankly absurd, if not bizarre, for them to have the Sex Talk (sorta) this week without ever having kissed. It's nice to think that's been happening off-screen but it's not canon. They really haven't. Cause it's a soap. (ITA w/GG's first point: I have long felt that given the highly unusual circumstance of this being a relationship between *two* previously straight women, that their fear is real, which did feel borne out by their discussion on Friday. Thus a lot of the stalling--plot-driven or not [as opposed to character-driven] can still be fanwanked pretty easily.)

I do think the writers have, to some extent, tied their hands with their labelless approach. So I have to work hard to separate out my perceptions around media presentation of lesbian couples from what *this* soap's agenda is. Because it's not about sexuality per se. It's a Christian soap-opera aimed at a working- and middle-class daytime audience. The fact that such an audience may no longer exist and may be a perception only in the minds of the execs who make programming decisions, notwithstanding... that's the framework. Pace the execs, the primary goal of the *writers*, in my view--in fact, their sole goal--is to say: here is our town. Good people (Christian people) live & work here. We have black bunnies (just a few--it's still a soap) and white bunnies and--wayyy over here: purple bunnies. Look! Harmless. So cute. They have jobs and cars and families and love their children. Just like us. In fact, they are *just like us* in every way except for the purple. Don't be afraid. Bunnies! Purple! Cute! etc.

So: if GL succeeds--on its own terms--in making even part of its perceived viewing audience more tolerant of/accepting of lesbians & gays--then those are the only terms on which it can be fairly judged: it met its own agenda. Otherwise it makes no sense to watch, if I want it to do things it cannot do (which things those might be are certainly open to debate!)

I shoulda organized this better but this weekend was kinda brutal, with the news of CC going back to ugh. Just cause I knew the show was ending didn't make my denial work any less well--until this announcement. So... thx for letting me ramble on a bit. :)

recommendation also for Rocketchick's 'God is a dj' vid, awesome tech specs. I want that woman's software.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:08 pm 
5. Willowhand

I thought today was quite realistic and pretty well acted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:49 am 
8. Vixen

narrativeflow, I really like your take on all of this and thank you for your comments. It's always good to be reminded that the Otalia storyline isn't paced too much differently than other soap opera supercouples. That being said, we only have about a month and half at best with this couple. Once Jessica gets back from ML, the writers will really have to speed things up to get a happy ending for these two.

Quote:
So: if GL succeeds--on its own terms--in making even part of its perceived viewing audience more tolerant of/accepting of lesbians & gays--then those are the only terms on which it can be fairly judged: it met its own agenda. Otherwise it makes no sense to watch, if I want it to do things it cannot do (which things those might be are certainly open to debate!)

I totally agree with what you've said here, but you would think that TPTB would change the gameplan a bit since the show is being cancelled. First, if they piss anybody off, who cares? They don't have anything to lose. Second, the plans for "supercoupledom" for these two have gone out the window as quickly as CC signed a contract with DOOL. We simply don't have time. I want a kiss between these two, I want a "happy ending." I don't think that's too much to ask.

And Kendahl897, I hope you're right about the angst level going down when Jessica returns from her leave. We don't have time for angst anymore if we want to see a kiss and a "happy ending."

And yes, a "kiss" is important to me because I've seen Natalia kiss Frank and Olivia kiss Josh and that other dude. I want these two women who supposedly LOVE each other to kiss at least once before the show ends. I don't need it to be pornographic or overly sensual. I just want to see a visual representation of their passion and love for each other. Actions speak louder than words and at times when I'm watching them I don't buy into the fact that they are more than platonic.

That's my two cents. As always, I appreciate the dialogue here. Y'all rock!

:peace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:54 pm 
3. Flaming O

I would say just give JLH and EW a chance. They haven't let ME down so far, and I expect that to continue. These past two weeks (hell, 6 months) episodes have rocked. Everything from the Josh kiss, to the lingerie shop, to the eventual coversation about sex and the outing of Otalia. Because everything was connected, and it all served to advance the SL. (I know some have complained about pacing, but c'mon, JL's pregnancy played a big part in that). Consider also the fact that Olivia probably didn't know where Nat came down on the issue intimacy with her, I think last weeks episodes laid that fear to rest. I personally LUUVVED the look of shock on Nat's face when Liv said "if they never had sex...)

As far as CC signing with DOOL,that changed absolutely nothing. The same game plan that was in effect two weeks ago, a month ago and etc. is still the game plan that is in effect today. The writers knew after April 1st that there was a good chance it was all going to end in Sept. The longer it went on with no pickup just cemented that harder....but to think the wrters have not meticulously planned this SL out just goes against everything we have seen.

As far as TPTB, I don't really think they think about GL one way or the other. My guess is that the reaction to Otalia has been about 80% positive....its ending in 3 months and they don't really care what people think, good or bad. It's EW's baby right now. (Seriously, we had almost an entire episode that centered on vibrators, womens' sexual needs and two women talking about eventually having sex together. )

BTW, has anyone but me noticed how not once when confronted with opposition, be it from Frank, to Father Ray to even Rafe, has Natalia faltered in her love for Olivia. Think about where she was just 6 months ago, horrified that people might think her and Olivia were lovers.

Best line of Mondays show:

"IF YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH TO ASK THE QUESTION, YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH TO HEAR THE ANSWER. I'M IN LOVE WITH OLIVIA."

Hey, Mayor Blomberg of NYC gave a shout-out to Otalia. How cool is that ? LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:50 am 
5. Willowhand

Quote:
Thanks RT---but I'm cheap, not free! (i.e., attribution please! wink)
Heh, of course GG. We might get surprised, we might not. Let's see what JLH has in store for us. I know I know, I won't hold my breath, but some anticipation can be fun... so I won't be sending the idea in just yet. :P

narrativeflow: yeah I was just rambling on on my part too (re: comparing show-notes). I have still not yet seen Bad Girls, bar maybe one episode, and IIRC, I wasn't even really paying much attention to it at the time (I know about THE COUPLE though. Who, when one's wading through f/f fanfic, doesn't? LOL). I think after September 18th, when I fall into that black hole, BG might be a welcome distraction. Remind me then to look it up, cause I KNOW I've been missing out on some great "forbidden love relations" for these past years *cough*warden/prisoner*cough*, right? ;)

And ha! to dorksrcool: "(...)Olivia kiss Josh and that other dude." :laugh Oh Bill. When you're gonna marry the half-sister of your once adoptive daughter, yep. That's when you become... that other dude.

Kendahl897:
Quote:
Hey, Mayor Bloomberg of NYC gave a shout-out to Otalia. How cool is that ? LOL

That was awesome, yet so very sad at the same time. With GL going, other NYC-based soaps are soon to follow, and that doesn't foretell a very positive outlook on this current economy, read: Patrick Erwin's The ripple effect.

*whispers* So maybe it is true, only love (where Love=Otalia=GL), can save the world? This cancellation may be the sign of the coming apocalypse! No? Too many conspiracy theories? Allrighty then...

OK, now onto your regular scheduled- albeit belated- post:

Having lived in denial since the April 1st cancelation news, CC's DAYS gig hit me like a ton of bricks. And now these Otalia-days are slipping away faster than those pesky little sand grains through the proverbial hourglass.

I was a staunch supporter for the slow story burn, but now that endgame is coming nearer and nearer I feel I'm ready at last to jump ship as well and shout, "Oh Kiss for the love of all that is good, sweet and holy lesbian batwoman, KISS!"

I think it's the new Michael Fairman interview with CC on THE Advocate.com that finally did me in. That, if not certainly this UPBEAT interview. Crystal Chappell is a mighty force to be reckoned with. No matter how much DAYS is probably gonna let me down, I'll still watch Dr. Carly Manning 2.0 (with hopefully some Spencer-branded brassiness!) for sure now. Crystal has no need to worry, fan for life- right here!

Yesterday's Rafe's Birthday episode trumped Monday's OMG-Rafe-sees episode for me, if that were even possible. Both Jessica Leccia and E.J. Bonilla are playing their roles to the max and I am left buying each and every single Mother-Son interaction with no will of my own whatsoever. P&G should bottle all this Otalia-related acting chemistry, it could make them filthy rich. (But eh, they don't give an ass, so screw 'em.)

How bittersweet was the scene where they were eating the pasteles? (Yes, Puerto-Rican heritage shout-out FTW!) Their reaching out to one another was so palpable, god it broke my heart. And then when Natalia tried to bring up just the slightest mention of Olivia, which made Rafe flee the scene as fast as he could in nothing but horror and disgust, oh my already broken heart got ripped out, thrown to the floor and trampled on some more for good measure. I know the boy can't help feeling this way, but it still hurt like hell. Damn you GL for being so good at what you do!

For the spoilered among us:

[spoiler]What do you think about the upcoming pics from the PGP Classic Soaps Blog? Kiss, no kiss? Initially I was gonna vote for MutualNearKissageJellybeanInterruptus,[/spoiler] but at this point I don't care anymore whatever slow supercouple-building wishbone TPTB will throw at us. Just. Freaking. KISS! No day but today and time's a-wastin'!

Also on my wish list: really starting to think the chances we're getting a proposal of any kind are slim to none [re:notimeleftspec], but I sure would like to see a love scene before the lock goes up at the Farmhouse (or the "Do Not Disturb" sign at the Beacon). We've all (that's us and them ;) ) deserved it more than enough already damnit.

P.s: I feel sad we won't get to see all these Spaulding kids plus Shady Baby Henry and his younger uncle Colin grow up. Emma would have made a fine multi-gazillionair business woman. Or heart surgeon... or a ninja, undercover spy, kick-ass Catholic-Wicca (Wiccatholic?), ruler of the world, etc. etc. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:29 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

[spoiler]Oh, I think they're going the cliched way again, pregnancy. I'll watch till the end, but gosh if they aren't trying to ruin it for me, do you know, I can't watch w/t clips, I mean I can and then at some point I know how it turns out and I can't do it, can't finish their storyline.[/spoiler]

I feel like the storyline is stalling again, sick of Frank and sick of Rafe, though I do think I like Rafe better cause he's still young and that's his Ma. The kiss is now way long overdue and I fear it won't come for a while yet. Maternity leave sucks too. Thank god it's over in September.