The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beowulf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:42 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I don't know if there's already a topic about this movie. If there is, I apologize for repeating it.

Anyway, has anyone seen Beowulf? I haven't yet, but I will, maybe this weekend even. When I saw the trailer for this movie I decided immediately that I simply had to watch it. Why, you ask? Because I studied Beowulf (the poem), for English Literature last semester and it sucked. I thought it was the most horrible thing I've ever been forced to read, it was so lame. I don't like these epic poems, you see. Noble, perfect heroes with their delusions of grandeur irritate me.

Then comes this supposedly big production with great names like Anthony Hopkins and John Malkovich. And, to add insult to injury, they have Angelina Freakin' Jolie playing Grendel's Mother. What the hell? It's a damn monster, for Christ's sake! It's big, and scary and FURRY! There's even a scene where Grendel's Mother tries to seduce Beowulf! What the hell are these people smoking?!

Sorry about that, guys, I just had to get that out of my system. My friends and I have decided to watch it, mostly to get a good laugh and make sarcastic comments and generally annoy the people who are actually tried to watch the movie. Just like we did with Eragon, heh. We had some good laughs at that one.

I'd like to know what people who have watched this movie thought about it. Is it as bad as I'm thinking it is? Is there anyone who genuinely liked this?

Ta-ta!
Anna

Post subject: Re: Beowulf
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:14 pm 
28. Com...plete

Topics: 12
Well with Eragon, that was deserving of your mocking.

Beowulf though can be re-told many ways. I first read it in my 12th grade German class, in German. Course I knew the story long before that and have seen a lot of variants.

Here is what I say about Angelina Jolie as Grendel's Mother.
"I got to see a gold covered naked Angelina Jolie that was 30 ft tall!!!!!"

That was at least worth the price of admisson.

;)

Tim

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."
- The Dragon and the Phoenix, Episode 7: The Road to Hell

Post subject: Re: Beowulf
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:21 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I'm hoping to see it in the next few weeks. I loved the poem but I freely admit to loving all epic poetry. Plus Neil Gaiman was a co-writer of the screenplay and everything I've read by him is, at the very least, thought-provoking. I can't wait to see his Coraline brought to the screen next year. :pinky