The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ugly Betty
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:54 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Who's watching Ugly Betty out there? It's a great show. I like it very much, so far. First ep was definitely awesome. I didn't like the second ep as much as the first, but next week looks good. *fingers crossed* Seems to be doing well in the ratings, too.

Synopsis from the official site:
Quote:
In the superficial world of high fashion, image is everything. Styles come and go, and the only constants are the superthin beauties who wear them. How can an ordinary girl – a slightly plump plain-Jane from Queens – possibly fit in?

If you took a moment to get to know Betty Suarez, you'd see how sweet, intelligent and hard-working she is. But few people do, because in the world of high fashion Betty is the oversized peg in the petite round hole. When publishing mogul Bradford Meade hands the reigns of Mode, the bible of the fashion industry, over to this son, Daniel, he specifically hires Betty as his son's new assistant – mostly because she's the only woman in NYC Daniel won't sleep with. Though this "player" is reluctant to accept her at first, Betty's indomitable spirit and bright ideas will eventually win him over. Neither of them really knows the ins and outs of the fashion world, but the two are a formidable team against those who will do anything to see them fall.

And they really are swimming with the sharks. Diva fashionista Wilhelmina Slater is incensed that Bradford Meade passed her over and promoted Daniel to the coveted job after the mysterious death (or was it?) of Mode's legendary editress, Fey Sommers. Wilhelmina, along with toadying assistant Marc and scheming receptionist Amanda, are out to sabotage Daniel and Betty any chance they get. Betty finds a friend in warm-hearted Christina, who works as the magazine's in-house seamstress and seems to know everything about everybody who works there.

Away from work, Betty's home life is far from glamorous. Dad Ignacio and her sister, Hilda, worry that she's just setting herself up for a fall, while nephew Justin encourages his aunt to dream big (even if he's aghast at her fashion sense). Nerdy boyfriend Walter, who unceremoniously dumped Betty, keeps turning up despite her attempts to get him to stay away.

"Ugly Betty" stars America Ferrera as Betty Suarez, Eric Mabius as Daniel Meade, Alan Dale as Bradford Meade, Tony Plana as Ignacio, Ana Ortiz as Hilda, Ashley Jensen as Christina, Becki Newton as Amanda, Mark Indelicato as Justin and Vanessa Williams as Wilhelmina Slater. Recurring guest stars are Michael Urie as Marc and Kevin Sussman as Walter.

Based on "Yo Soy Betty La Fea," the groundbreaking Colombian telenovela that became an international phenomenon, "Ugly Betty" is from Touchstone Television. Academy Award nominee and Emmy Award winner Salma Hayek is executive producer, along with Silvio Horta ("Urban Legends"), Ben Silverman, ("The Office"), Jose Tamez ("The Maldonado Miracle"), James Parriott ("Grey's Anatomy") and James Hayman ("Joan of Arcadia").

Official site here. I think you can watch at least the first two eps there for free. And check out www.bettysuarez.com - her resume is pretty funny, there's a flan recipe, and you can read about her nephew's award-winning diorama of Martha Stewart's jail cell.

I knew the original telenovela had been hugely popular, but I was intrigued to see that there have been adaptations all over the world: India, Israel, Germany, Russia, Mexico, Netherlands, Spain, and French and Belgian versions being planned.

Post subject: Re: Ugly Betty
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:02 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
Yeah the original spanish soap was shown in many languages. Then many places made their own versions, in fact the spanish remake is now airing currently. I think I could see why some people might compare it to the Devil Wears Prada, but the idea was around long before that movie. Nevertheless, I liked the acknowledgement of the movie by the little boy. That little boy is so cute, and I may be stereotyping a bit by suggesting he might be gay.

I loved the premiere, the second show was weaker but I think it can get better. It is doing well in the ratings and that's what is really good. I think it has a lot of potential.

America is a star. She's so great on the screen, so much charisma. I really like this girl.

I think the best part of the show for me are the "telenovela" bits that Salma Hayek is in. They are a bit exaggerated lol but not by much. There is some truth to all that.

I hope this show sticks around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:43 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

You are so right! America has a really compelling presence. I can never take my eyes off her. Such an expressive face. It's impossible not to feel what she is feeling. (I was amused in the first ep, when she's eating the flan. I kept thinking - Don't. Eat. The. Flan!)

I love the nephew, too. He is so adorably gay!

Salma Hayek can do no wrong in my eyes. Those bits are a lot of fun. She has a gun on him...then they are kissing one second later. :lol Awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:19 am 
28. Com...plete

Topics: 12
I have not seen this show (but heard a lot of good things about it) but I really like America.

I remember from some show she used to do on the Disney Channel. She is great and I hope she has a long successful carrer ahead of her.

Warlock

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."
- The Dragon and the Phoenix, Episode 7: The Road to Hell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:36 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Topics: 1
I really wanted to see this show, but it turns out that it's on Thursday nights, the same time I'm in school.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:55 pm 
28. Com...plete

Love America...ever since Real Women Have Curves...like the show...HATE the title...America is actually quite beautiful...what kind of message is this sending to young girls who are already burdened with a myriad of self-image problems by the media...if you are not stick slim and you are not white (unlike all the models her boss is always screwing) and you have braces and don't have perfect hair (which describes plenty of impressionable young girls out there) then you are ugly?!?! I realize that was part of the original title but I think they really could have made it something more socially responsible...because even if it is meant to be ironic...i.e. Betty is one of the only ones there who is not ugly in the soul department...the average pre-teen or teen girl isn't going to perceive it that way... :shy :shy

Sandi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:47 pm 
9. Gay Now

yeah. what she said.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:22 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Yeah certainly the title is supposed to be ironic because you are supposed to cheer for her and look beyond the superficial. But yeah, I see what you mean. Interestingly enough the title for the remake in Spanish went from the original "Betty la Fea" (Betty the ugly) to "La Fea mas Bella" (the most beautiful ugly girl).

Ahh but yes America is going places. She's awesome.

And I forgot to say, what's his face, Eric (tim from the L Word) annoys me so much less in this show than he did on the L Word. God I hated him on it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:09 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Great show, very entertaining. Makes me laugh, and root for the underdog.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the cameo of Gina Gershon in the first ep. Hardly recognized her in the platinum blonde wig and accent, but you can't mistake those luscious lips anywhere. mmm

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:25 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

OMG, I think that last ep was the funniest one so far! I laughed so hard so many times.

Justin using the cup as a Phantom of the Opera mask? :rofl

Also some good drama, too, and I love that about this show.

I really wish Walter would go away. I despise him soooo much, especially after all his selfish whining at the hotel a couple weeks back. It pained me to see Betty apologizing to him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:58 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Salma Hayek dancing with a woman, that right there is worth the price of admission!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:57 am 
9. Gay Now

I've just caught up with Ugly Betty (the joys of BitTorrent) and I love it. My favourite episode was possibly Fey's Sleigh Ride with the unlikely alliance of Marc, Amanda ("bring it!") and Betty.
Vanessa Williams is just fantastic - what that woman can do with a raised eyebrow knows no bounds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:04 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I've been catching up with reruns of this show and I love it. America Ferrera is terrific! She literally lights up the screen. And, wow, Salma Hayek is sooooooooooooo beautiful. I mean really. This is my new "feel good" show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:22 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

OMG, Alexis?!?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:31 pm 
9. Gay Now

What a great show - I'm glad the mystery of bandage woman has been solved and i loved the lines "you have to show your loyalty to the queen" - "you?" (plus "father in the room")

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:08 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

This show is so awesome. I love it. Every person is perfectly cast. I am loving the hell out of Rebecca Romijn and her portrayal of Alexis. So much fun.

The scene in the bar with Alexis was really crushing and sad. I'm glad Willy stood up for her, but a little torn because she's probably doing it for her own gains.

Justin is adorable and I think I even like Charlie. (Loved, loved, loved that actress on Heroes.)

I'm so glad I gave this show a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:41 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

After having this show recommended to me by two people (one of whom is posting right above me, thank you dear) on different sides of the atlantic on the same day last week, I decided it was time to download it. I have only seen ep 1 and 2 and the last one, but I am most definitely hooked.
I can´t comment too much yet, but I have to say I loved loved loved the enormous punch in the face that Wilhelmina gave that guy. Yeah she is using Alexis to get what she wants, she uses everyone to get what she wants, but that punch I believe to be completely sincere and I love her for it. She is a self centered bitch, but she is still lightyears ahead in goodness to that guy, which I thought was a rather nice way of demonstrating exactly how low on the ladder of humanity homophobic fucks like that are. Good job all around, I love this cast.

Mrs. Cartman: Well, I know a little kitty who is sleeping with Mommy tonight.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:30 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

This thread needs to be bumped or better yet, be kept on the top of this list permanently because.....well, need I explain ? For instance: anyone else rooting for Alex / Jordan ?
I don't even wanna think about the fact that next week's episode will be this season's final. So far this whole show never bored me for a second and even the proverbial "less-likeable-characters" are in a funny way extremely likeable, well, to me anyway.
Can't wait for Season 2 :party

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:28 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hear hear. I do hope they are not going to end the season with a something dreadful happening to Ignacio type of cliffhanger. Alex / Jordan is probably not going to happen, but here´s hoping she will find some real romance soon or at least a real friend.
Daniel is starting to annoy me with his inferiority issues, what will it take for him to get over himself and stop acting like a moron.
I especially loved Mark and Amanda this episode, I´m very curious to see what is behind that door.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:23 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

This show is absolutely delicious. The only thing that's ever disappointed me, I think, was the existence of Wilbur. With him gone, it's perfect.

I am actually kind of hoping for a grand soapy cliffhanger.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:50 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I think you will get your wish on the soapy cliffhanger for sure Holley, I just don´t want one about Ignacio, his fate has been in limbo long enough for me. Oh and Wilbur, I had totally forgotten about him, yes he was truly obnoxious. No redeeming qualities about him whatsoever.
Bradford does not have any either, he is mean and unlike any of the other meanies on this show, without humor (until his outfit and oozing ear this episode that is) or latent goodness to compensate. However, I am not annoyed by him like I was with Bèèèèètty´s Wilbur. I must also say that Alan Dale is looking pretty good for his age. He looks better and younger than he did when I watched him on neighbours 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:36 pm 
9. Gay Now

Betty's boyfriend was actually called Walter (see, he was so awful you forgot his name) but the actor's name (Kevin Sussman) has been in the credits for all the episodes this season.

I just adore the show with all the characters being sympathetic even when they are evil (except Bradford because he's a bit boring and not much of an actor). I just love Wilhelmina, Marc and Amanda and I have an enormous soft spot for Alexis despite her evilness.

My favourite line from last week was: "I'll be bringing my own hag. Or should I say haggis."

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:16 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh, I know his name is Walter, but don't you remember the time Wilhelmina, I think it was, called him Wilbur? He's been Wilbur to me ever since.

About the finale:

Oh, sweet Jesus. I don't even know where to start.

sigh

That was intense. I am in shock. It's not often I gasp and shout OH NO! at the TV, but I did several times tonight. Such a roller coaster. Betty and Henry finally, until....bleh. Wilhelmina and Marc, soooo sweet. Claire on the lam. Amanda and Christina, hilarious. OMG, the birth certificate!!! Alexis and Daniel. Justin's dream coming true. And Santos. :cry

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:20 am 
9. Gay Now

maudmac wrote:
Oh, I know his name is Walter, but don't you remember the time Wilhelmina, I think it was, called him Wilbur? He's been Wilbur to me ever since.
:blush Oo, apologies, I must have missed that among the mountain of fantastic lines and moments over the series.

Last edited by Knock yourself out on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:26 pm 
8. Vixen

Wow. And I thought that Brazilian telenovelas were dramatic... :shock
I could barely close my mouth during the last 10 minutes! It was one shock after another! Those were Everest-size cliffhangers!!!

Clair in prison... still hilarious. Christina & Amanda... what a pair! (that birth certificate was *so* telenovela... ;-) ) "Do you want to kiss me?" :rofl I wanted Charlie to be by herself in that plane and hope she'd end up on the island of "Lost"... (what? At least it's the same network!) Daniel & Alexis, oh my...

I just can't express how good this show is.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:04 pm 
Oh since a few month we have a show tv aslike this one name " Le destin de Lisa"
In come from Germany
The little boy i baby sit think she is sooo beautiful lol. He is so cute sometimes !
Here are some vid of our Betty lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDKVn4ePLJU

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:46 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Quote:
Betty's boyfriend was actually called Walter (see, he was so awful you forgot his name)

I actually did forget his name, he seems much more like a Wilbur to me, but Walter it was. Anyway, I did not want a cliffhanger about Ignacio, so I got my way, but now I wish it were otherwise. Too much depressing drama for my taste, but Christina & Amanda and Wilhelmina & Mark made up for a lot. I wonder if Bradford can be her father, who knows how long those two had been carrying on. Alexis and Daniel had better be ok, or at least Alexis had better be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:31 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Anybody see the season premiere?

What an emotional rollercoaster. I laughed through most of it (it is as sharp and witty as ever), gasped a few times (it is as twisty and turny as ever), and cried at the end. This show can stab you in the heart soooooo well.

Brilliant TV. Somebody come talk about it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:23 pm 
28. Com...plete

The season premiere did not disappoint!

Amanda's ass! Too funny!

And it was so cute the way Marc stood up to her parents...our new internet friends eeeewwww...That was hilarious and the ending with Alexis ROFL this could get interesting...anyway, I'm glad that she didn't get killed, Rebecca Romijn is soooo hot...also psyched to see one of my faves Ileana Douglas...please tell me she's going to be a regular!

Also the talking clothes rack.. "Lose the belt" I just love that little queen...if he's not really a little queen he's a hell of an actor...

Also loved the beginning with the Betty telenovela bit...excellent premiere :party

Sandi :kgeek :pride

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:24 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Ileana Douglas, yes! She is delicious! I have no idea if she's going to be around for a while or not, but I sure hope so. Also great to see Alec Mapa, too. He is adorable and hilarious and I love him a whole lot. I read the other day that Mo'Nique is going to be guesting later this season. She is one of my favorite people of all time, so I'm really looking forward to that.

lol at the fashion elf! Justin is such a delight.

Betty's telenovela dream was awesome!

I am loving the Claire vs. Wilhelmina stuff. I'm actually rooting for both of them. The clash of the decoys in the tunnel was hilarious.

How tragic for Daniel to feel responsible and guilty for the crash when we know that Alexis is to blame for the brakes failing. I'm wondering where they're going to go with the Alex/Alexis thing since I guess she's supposed to have amnesia or something now? This really shouldn't be an issue since they made it clear that Alex always felt like a woman.

Poor Hilda. My heart is still breaking for her. How terrible.