The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Grey's Anatomy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:28 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I don´t really regret the loss of their relationship. I liked them, but they have been together like for 3 weeks, so I cannot really care that much. I do care about each character however, they are my top 3 favorites along with Bailey. So firing Smith and the loss of Erica Hahn pisses me off. There is no reason for it. If they got cold feet about showing a lesbian relationship then breaking them up should have been more than enough and too much as it is. All this I could get over, but what really makes me quit watching is this:

Quote:
UPDATE: Shonda Rhimes has issued the following statement:

Brooke Smith was obviously not fired for playing a lesbian. Clearly it's not an issue as we have a lesbian character on the show – Calliope Torres. Sara Ramirez is an incredible comedic and dramatic actress and we wanted to be able to play up her magic. Unfortunately, we did not find that the magic and chemistry with Brooke's character would sustain in the long run. The impact of the Callie/Erica relationship will be felt and played out in a story for Callie. I believe it belittles the relationship to simply replace Erica with 'another lesbian.' If you'll remember, Cristina mourned the loss of Burke for a full season.

This is such bullshit it is not even excusable by trying to be politically correct. It seems like cheap lip service, hypocrisy and cowardice combined into one small paragraph. I wonder who "we" are. Chemistry does not seem to be such a big concern when they are shoving Mwehredith and McEgotisticalWhinyBoringShit down my throat. Chemistry is clearly subjective, but even if you concede that these women do not have it, that is still no reason to -out of the blue- get rid of Erica Hahn. If they´d fired every actor when their character breaks up, then by now there should be no one left. Using the fact that Callie/Ramirez is still on the show as proof that they did not fire Smith for playing a lesbian (as if she can even be ´blamed´ for that) is horse manure as well. I would have liked to see her explain firing them both at once. ´We kept one´ does not equal ´we are cool with having a lesbian lead characters on the show´.

As for the belittling of that relationship? Where is that concern coming from? Getting rid of Erica and claiming they do not have enough chemistry is not belittling it? How strong was that relationship if it can apparently be broken up so soon and easily. Christina lived with Burke for years, she went through several seriously life altering events with him and was ultimately left at the altar. How can they compare the two? Why should Callie mourn the loss of her relationship as long as Christina when none of the other characters mourn their lost loves for ´a full season´. How long did Izzy mourn her Denny? How long did Callie herself mourn George? Why compare Callie to Christina and not to any of the others that get over it sooner rather than later.

Don´t get me wrong, I am not trying to play down the depth or importance of their relationship, despite Callie´s annoying waffling, I saw more in them than in most of the other relationships I have seen on this show. I would not want to see Callie jump in the sack with another woman as easily and as soon as she did with Sloan or the others seem to do with whatever man crosses their path that day. I just do not believe for a second any of this is done out of a genuine desire to honor their relationship. It comes across as a series of inconsistent excuses to get rid of Hahn and turn Callie into a token single sexless is she or isn´t she lesbian character whilst still trying to smell like roses instead of spineless wuss.

Mrs. Cartman: Well, I know a little kitty who is sleeping with Mommy tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:43 pm 
12. Recently Gay

What you said G. At first I was just angry at ABC, and I'm still sure that is where this originated. But then I read the pathetic steaming pile of you know what that Rhimes wrote and you posted above. I suppose she was hoping to duck the storm of criticism that she knew would be rolling her way. No such luck. I was going to pick apart her statement but really it isn't worth the trouble. I didn't watch the show last week, and there is every chance I will never watch it again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:03 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Aw, jeez. The only reason I started watching Grey's Anatomy was because of Brooke Smith. I had grown to really like her abrasive character
Dr. Kate Switzer when she joined the cast of Crossing Jordan. Then they canceled that show.

Now Smith is fired from Grey's. ABC's loss. At least I have an hour back in my life.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:12 am 
28. Com...plete

OK...that was really irritating...to end the relationship that way just when it was getting somewhere...but more than anything it angers me that they got rid of the best actor on the show just because they are too homophobic to deal with a storyline that they had obviously been approving since last season...what a bunch of asshats! Personally, the only reason I started watching the show regularly was when Brooke Smith came on...I have adored her since Vanya on 42nd Street...well, that's one hour Dia won't have to bitch about me being in front of the TV for now...networks, man!

Amber: Oh yes, Aly and I will take credit for that

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 am 
17. Mega-Witches

NPR did a great story on this topic (Brooke Smith getting the boot, because Dr. Hahn was "too gay") today.

GG FYI. Out

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:22 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Man. They are really confused about what to do with Sara Ramirez and her sexuality. First it was Hahn who, quite honestly, was totally out of her league. She was a bitch to everyone but Torres and was just not nearly as hot. Then they canned Brooke Smith and seemed like this insane Sadie was going to be Callie's next love interest. Last week there was all this flirting and confusion. But now Callie appears to be getting a new love interest. Ok, for 3 weeks? 3 weeks? WTF?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:09 am 
5. Willowhand

What the hell? Can they make up their minds already!

Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:38 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
I'm still a few episodes behind, but am slowly catching up. I am a little relieved to see that Callie and Erica 'broke up'(for lack of closure or good communication, that is what the network gave viewers). Try as I might, I could never warm up to Dr. Hahn, even before she entered a relationship with Callie. They just seemed like complete opposites and quite frankly, Hahn was kind of a little bitch for no reason(or, if she did have a damn good one, they didn't keep her around long enough to illuminate her character with any good intentions). I'm sorry to see Brooke leave on such circumstances, especially as it is the loss of another gay relationship on TV. But eh, I'd rather them not be together at all.

On the flip side, this whole Izzy/Denny thing is breaking my heart in new ways, all I keep visualizing is Willow seeing Tara and it hurts real bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:47 pm 
3. Flaming O

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove Grey's Anatomy, but my mom won't let me buy it because of the "Adult Situations"! Grrrrrrr!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:13 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
I just cried my eyeballs out today at the season finale. Shonda, how could you do this??!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:25 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
T.G.I.F. wrote:
I just cried my eyeballs out today at the season finale. Shonda, how could you do this??!!!

Shonda Rhimes, Ilene Chaiken and Joss Whedon walk into a bar.

Everyone dies.

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:35 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
I hope that Tara, Dana and Lexie are loading themselfs full of booze at that bar! Hmpf

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:26 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
Oh, man, really? Really? After everything, Shonda's going down this route?

I don't know why I expected anything different from Grey's, but eurgh. I am so sick of cheating/love triangle storylines.

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow