The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:06 am 
28. Com...plete

Topics: 12
I must have missed that.

What was it?

Tim

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."
- The Dragon and the Phoenix, Episode 7: The Road to Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:23 pm 
9. Gay Now

"Mad Martha. Blind Martha. Charity Martha"

Apparently 'Mad Martha' is a well-used supplier of programmes across the globe, and some people think RTD might have been referencing him/her.

What did you think of it?

eta

CBBC Newsround Review of The Fires of Pompeii

Quote:
The Doctor and Donna accidentally land in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii. And their timing couldn't have been worse. It's the day before a huge volcano is due to erupt and bury the city killing everybody there.

The Doctor just wants to leave, but Donna thinks he should try and save the city. And that's when things take an even more mysterious turn.

People living in Pompeii are talking about a prophecy involving a blue box, and some even seem to know exactly who The Doctor and Donna are.

This is an episode that's everything an episode of Doctor Who should be.

Not only is there a baffling mystery to be solved, but there's amazing tension because a huge argument is brewing between The Doctor and Donna about whether they should leave or not. Each of them is convinced they're doing the right thing.

That alone would make this a standout episode, but there are also some of the best special effects yet seen on the show.

As well as a few more tantalising hints about what might be coming later in the series.

All in all, one of the very best episodes the show has produced.

Five out of five.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:50 pm 
28. Com...plete

I really liked the ep. Not great, a few missteps here and there, but nothing that is not to be expected in a series/season opener.

Next week looks fantastic.

Tim

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:19 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
Forgive me if I seem dense, but I'm new to this universe/fandom.

On Friday, the Sci-Fi Channel here in the US is going to start showing something called "The Sara Jane Chronicles" which they describe as being "from the producers of 'Dr, Who'".

What is this series and is it worthwhile to watch it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:41 am 
9. Gay Now

Hemiola wrote:
Forgive me if I seem dense, but I'm new to this universe/fandom.

On Friday, the Sci-Fi Channel here in the US is going to start showing something called "The Sara Jane Chronicles" which they describe as being "from the producers of 'Dr, Who'".

What is this series and is it worthwhile to watch it?

I guess this is referring to The Sarah Jane Adventures which is a modern series starring Elisabeth Sladen who was a Doctor's assistant in the 70s. It co-stars three teenage children (who are very good actors, imo) and is aimed squarely at that age group and younger. I must admit that I prefer it to the current Who partly because I'm not keen on David Tennant and partly because this series reminds me of classic Who.

Also bear in mind two random factors: (a) that I'm heading towards middle age and (b) my ten year old son prefers it too.

Watch out for the loud incidental music though (that may be my age talking again!).

Last edited by Knock yourself out on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
Thanks very much, KYO. I'll check it out. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 am 
9. Gay Now

I really enjoyed it too. Watching DW in the '70s, Sarah Jane is my companion, alongside Tom Baker. I think it's unbeliable that she's just turned 60!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:12 pm 
9. Gay Now

Oh. My. God.

This clip is amazing but it's on the BBC site so I don't think it's viewable to non-UKers. For those who can see it....

Fires of Pompeii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:25 pm 
9. Gay Now

Feena wrote:
I really enjoyed it too. Watching DW in the '70s, Sarah Jane is my companion, alongside Tom Baker. I think it's unbeliable that she's just turned 60!
Mine too along with Leela and Romana.

I would never have guessed she was that age. She looks great.

Last edited by Knock yourself out on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:08 am 
9. Gay Now

Christmas Special set report spoilers....

Spoiler:
Churchyard with fake snow. People in Victorian clothes. And Cybermen...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:56 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Topics: 1
Feena wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Actual Cybermen, or RTD's Plot Devices?

Last edited by SithLordWiccan on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 am 
9. Gay Now

SithLordWiccan wrote:
Feena wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Actual Cybermen, or RTD's Plot Devices?

Spoiler:
If you mean Lumic's Alt-Universe ones then yes, I believe so. I think the chest "C" has been seen. Dervla Kirwan has been seen on set but not known if she's a 'companion' or other guest star. She was briefly in RTD's Casanova (his mother) and is the current voice of the Marks and Spencer adverts on UK TV.

IMDb

Last edited by Feena on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:53 am 
9. Gay Now

Stunning, stunning episode.

I know you may feel I've never been very objective, I even like Fear Her and Love & Monsters ;), but this was so impressive. It looks incredible, the sets and the lighting. A lot of it was filled at the Cinecittà film studios in Rome, using the same sets as HBO's Rome.

And who'd have guesssed, Catherine Tate made me cry :)

SLW - I know you'll hate this but Donna tells the Doctor she loves him!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:45 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Feena wrote:
SLW - I know you'll hate this but Donna tells the Doctor she loves him!!

Jumpin' Jiminy Christmas...

Last edited by SithLordWiccan on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:08 am 
9. Gay Now

Christmas Special spoilers....

Spoiler:
DT has been seen on set so it's just a confirmation that there's no regeneration at the end of S4.

They're filming at the factory used in Gridlock, dressed as a Victorian ironworks. It seems that Cybusmen may be making new cybermen using bits and pieces of Victorian iron. Cyber 'wraiths' have been seen, looking a bit like LotR Ring Wraiths.

I'm looking forward to The Planet of the Ood next week. It's always good to be on an alien world :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:36 pm 
28. Com...plete

Wow. That was good.

Really. Loved the "Celtic" bits and CT did a wonderful job as Donna.

My wife and I both felt she was more like the Doctors companions of old rather than ones cut from the Rose/Martha cloth.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:12 pm 
9. Gay Now

I agree, she actually reminds me of Barbara a lot.

Planet of the Ood sounds amazing too. CBBC review:

Quote:
Oooooh dear. The Ood are back, and they're not happy.

Which is odd, because they're famous throughout the galaxy as peaceful, helpful servants who are eager to serve.

But when the Doctor and Donna arrive on the Ood's home planet, they discover a few are fighting back. And spurred on by Donna, The Doctor is determined to find out why the Ood are the way they are.

This episode is both beautiful and horrifying. And in the same way that last year's Gridlock was about faith and believing in something, this story is about choices. And what's right and what's wrong.

It's filled with creepy moments, and is definitely the most chilling episode so far this series. And, again, the special effects are some of the best we've seen so far.

The only slight criticism is a big action sequence involving The Doctor inside a giant warehouse, which feels as if it was stuck there, to just to have a big action sequence. Because the real action in the story is all emotional, as we see how the Doctor and Donna react to the events around them.

Not only that, just as important is the way that we see the Ood, which gradually changes throughout the episode. By the end they seem a million miles from the creatures we first met two years ago in The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit.

The very best episodes of Doctor Who are the ones which not only entertain you, but which also leave you thinking about them after they've finished. And this is definitely one of those.

Four and a half out of five.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:07 pm 
9. Gay Now

Hmm...I enjoyed it but I definitely need to watch it again. It was thought-provoking and very bleak. I think it has one of the highest visible body-counts (not including the '20,000' unseen inhabitants of Pompeii) for a very long time.

I like Donna more every episode, she may well overtake Sarah Jane as my favourite companion.

And in the Next Time trailer....Martha Jones, UNIT and Sontarans!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:44 am 
28. Com...plete

Ok great episode.

Of course I am wondering about the Ood evolution (how such a creature could evolve like that, but I am a geek) but it works enough for me. They (and esp their "Father") reminded me a lot of Illithids.

Donna: She just may be the most "human" of the doctor's companions. She is still making me laugh. I get the feeling watching her see all these wonders and horrors around her that she is the first one to really see the things and places she is going. Rose and Martha were too busy looking at the Doctor to see the wonders around them.

Next week looks great.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:12 pm 
9. Gay Now

WebWarlock wrote:
Donna: She just may be the most "human" of the doctor's companions. She is still making me laugh. I get the feeling watching her see all these wonders and horrors around her that she is the first one to really see the things and places she is going. Rose and Martha were too busy looking at the Doctor to see the wonders around them.

I think you're spot on here Tim, and I think this is one reason I like her so much. And she makes me laugh too

Last edited by Feena on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:43 am 
28. Com...plete

More highlights for Donna this week.

Though the bit with her grand dad seemed a bit slow to me. I think the writers felt that dealing with Rose's and then Martha's family was so successful that they are continuing with Donna's. That may not work as well.

Great to see Martha again, but given she was just on Torchwood it's not like I have a chance to really miss her yet!

The Sontarans were great as usual. Forgot about the thing on their necks. Do Sontarans have necks? Anyway. Though I kept expecting the lead Sontaran to say something like "You blew up the neighbors again Viv."

Next week looks good too.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am 
9. Gay Now

Bernard Cribbins (her grandad) is a true legend! He was in the 1965 Doctor Who film with Peter Cushing, The Railway Children (classic English film, don't know if it's known in the US) and (most importantly) he's the voice of the Wombles.

I like the Sontarans, they were the first monster to scare me when I was little, but I'm not sure about the blue uniform. Maybe they feel that black would be too similar to the Judoon.

Donna is now officially my favourite companion. It feels like heresy but she's overtaken Sarah Jane.

Have you been watching The Sarah Jane Adventures? They feel very much like Classic Who, I really enjoyed them.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:57 pm 
28. Com...plete

SJA: Yes I have and I agree with you. They also seem more kid-freindly. Sorta the opposite direction than from Torchwood.

It is great to Elizabeth Sladden again, and she is still doing Sarah Jane great! And really, how freaking good does she still look?!

Looking forward to part 2.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 am 
9. Gay Now

The Guardian

Quote:
Scriptwriter Steven Moffat was today named lead writer and executive producer on hit BBC1 drama Doctor Who.

Moffat, who has written a number of episodes of the show - including the acclaimed Blink episode which won him the writer prize at this year's Bafta Craft Awards - will replace Russell T Davies.

Davies, the key creative figure behind the Doctor Who revival in 2005, stands down next year.

The appointment makes Moffat Doctor Who's showrunner - the key creative force behind the programme - on the fifth series, which will be broadcast on BBC1 in 2010.

As well as Blink, his previous work on Doctor Who includes The Girl in the Fireplace for series two which earned him his second Hugo Award. His first was for the series one two-parter The Empty Child.

Davies said: "It's been a delight and an honour working with Steven, and I can't wait to see where his extraordinary imagination takes the Doctor. Best of all, I get to be a viewer again, watching on a Saturday night!"

For the current series, Moffat has written Silence in the Library, a two-parter starring Alex Kingston that transmits later this month on BBC1.

Moffat said: "My entire career has been a secret plan to get this job. I applied before but I got knocked back because the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven. Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light, and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television."

Davies and Julie Gardner, the BBC Wales head of drama, have worked on the fourth series of Doctor Who and are working on four specials for broadcast in 2009.

In 2009 BBC Wales, which makes Doctor Who, will also have a new head of drama when producer Piers Wenger takes over from Gardner.

The BBC fiction controller, Jane Tranter, said: "The Tardis couldn't be in safer hands. Steven's talents on both Doctor Who and beyond are well known. He is a writer of glittering brilliance, comedy and depth, with an extraordinary imagination and a unique voice. Steven has a wonderful mix of being a committed Doctor Who fan and a true artist, and his plans for the next series are totally thrilling."

Moffat's career began with the ITV children's drama Press Gang in 1989 and he also wrote the sitcom Coupling for BBC2 that ran for four series from 2000. Moffat also wrote the six-part BBC1 series Jekyll starring James Nesbitt and Michelle Ryan that screened last year.

Moffatt will continue as one of the directors on the board of Hartswood Films which produced Coupling and Jekyll, and for which he is also developing a new comedy Adam & Eve.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:53 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

:party

Fantastic news. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:31 pm 
9. Gay Now

New minute long trailer - very exciting!!!

We got this instead of a new episode because of Eurovision

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:22 am 
9. Gay Now

I'm getting so excited about the next episode :bounce :bounce

CBBC Newsround

Quote:
The Doctor and Donna land in the biggest library in the universe - so large it fills an entire planet. It's also a place where something terrible happened in the past, and it's now completely deserted. That is until a team of explorers arrive. And soon they're all in danger, because there's something lurking in the shadows.

This is easily the best episode so far this series.

It does the same thing as many Doctor Who stories, by taking something very ordinary, and making it terrifying.

Last year, this was done fabulously well with the scary statues in Blink. And this comes from the same writer, Steve Moffat, who's also soon to take over as the Head Writer of the show. So fans should be happy that the programme's in safe hands.

In many ways, this is even better than Blink, because the story has more layers to it. There's not only the threat in the shadows, but there's also the Doctor's mysterious connection to one of the explorers. As well as a storyline about an ordinary girl who somehow is dreaming about events happening in the Library.

There are some great performances too. Eve Newton is superb as the Girl, as is Alex Kingston as Professor River Song. And Talulah Riley is fantastic as the not too bright Miss Evangelista - she'd make a wonderful and very different companion to the Doctor.

But the real star of this episode is the writing. Steven Moffat has cleverly put together an episode that fits together like a jigsaw, lots of things don't yet make sense, but we know they will when we can finally see the whole picture. He knows how to keep the pacing just right too. It starts off creepy and intriguing. By the end it had me huddled on my sofa with my hands over my mouth in terror. But there's some humour too, just the right amount to release the tension that builds up slowly in waves throughout.

It's a two-part story, so lots of things are left unexplained by the end.

So the huge challenge is to make the second part, Forest of the Dead, as good as the first. Because Silence in the Library is just about as good as Doctor Who gets.

Five out of five

Are you still about, SLW? You've not posted in a while.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:56 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Feena wrote:
Are you still about, SLW? You've not posted in a while.

Yeah, I’m still around, though I haven’t much to say on the Doctor Who front, since CBC still hasn’t announced an air date for the start of Series Four.

I have seen the new trailer, and I just have to say one thing: at what point does the BBC quit playing the whole The Fans Know Davros is the Series Four Big Bad, But We’re Not Going To Say So” game?

Answer: 47 seconds into said trailer.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:55 am 
28. Com...plete

Well "Silence" looks WAAY cool and my wife really likes Colin Salmon so this should be fun.

RTD is a big Dalek fan, so I guess Davros had to pop up his mutates head sooner or later. Don't realy see that as a bad thing mind you.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:54 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

WebWarlock wrote:
RTD is a big Dalek fan

Then why has he frakked up their legacy even worse than during the lowest of the JNT era?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next