The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Television and Movie Recommendation/Discussion Threa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:55 am 
5. Willowhand

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I don't recall seeing this film mentioned in this thread - "So Close."

I just saw the DVD over the weekend and it is a hoot! It's not really a comedy (and there is some sadness) but it is delightful, escapist fare. This is a martial arts film from Hong Kong (English subtitles) starring three women - Shu Qi, Zhao Wei (also seen her name as Vicki Zhao) and Karen Mok. They're all great looking and they so some serious ass kicking in this film.

Think of a Charlies Angels movie, but one that's really enjoyable. It's very stylish, the blending of CGI and wire-fu is seamless, and the action sequences are great. The plot is thin, but this is a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a fun ride. When you laugh (which I did frequently) it's with the film, not at it. Some of the action is so over the top you just have to laugh with delight.

There's also a little lesbian sub-text for your viewing pleasure. Actually, I'd love to see a sequel with those two characters! That would be a hot movie. But do check this one out. It's really fun.

Post subject: Kamikaze Girls
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:31 pm 
3. Flaming O

Recently I saw a Japanese movie called Kamikaze Girls. (The original Japanese title just means Shimotsuma Story.) It's story about two very different girls and their friendship.

It's little crazy movie full of crazy Japanese things... Lolita fashion, Amine, Yankee tribes,...you know, these things... Here is their English website:

http://www.kamikazegirls.net/

It's not a queer movie. It even mentions a straight love story of a girl. But it acts like one and looks like one. It's interesting but quite annoying too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:21 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I just saw a really good movie today called 'Treading Water'. It's a lesbian film, but it's more about family and how they do ( or in this case don't) deal with things.
It has a gorgeous love scene in it.
The commentary is really good on it as well.

Alicia

Janet Fraiser's High Priestess

‘Hey, I wanna be the butter!’ ~ Amber at London Expo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:26 pm 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

This is my first time in this thread I think. I would like to recommend a movie that starts in theaters on December 9th. Check out the website and trailer: Brokeback Mountain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:17 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I really think Brokeback deserves its own thread, Jenn... :eyebrow

GG I mean, if you're even slightly into guy-on-guy action (in a romantic, and not too tragic kinda way---for a period piece---I hope? FWIW, I'm completely unspoiled), you can hardly do better than Jake Gyllenhall and Heath Ledger! Out

Though admittedly, I think of Heath Ledger chiefly as "not w/ my Naomi Watts anymore!" :lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:46 am 
2. Floating Rose

Another murdering lesbian can be added to the too long list thanks to CSI:NY. In tonight's ep there a lesbian/bi(she left her lover for a guy)stripper gets killed by her jealous ex-girlfriend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:00 pm 
8. Vixen

Cool! This is one award show I always wanted to watch! :party

Quote:
For the first time ever, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has given special recognition to a Spanish-language radio outlet. In addition to many other nominees for its 17th Annual GLAAD Media Awards Presented by Absolut Vodka, GLAAD will present the award to "La Hora Gay" El Mananero con El Gordo y Gerardo on KTNQ 1020 AM. Other Spanish-language nominees include Hoy, TV Notas, Sin Fronteras and Noticiero Univision. For the second consecutive year, the GLAAD Media Awards will be televised on Logo. And, this year, VH1 will air the program for the first time. The Logo airdate is April 15 at 9pm while VH1 will broadcast on April 16 at 11pm. GLAAD also announced that this year's Barbara Gittings Award will be presented to the three new LGBT cable networks, Logo, here!, and Q Television Network. More info at http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:55 pm 
8. Vixen

This is not a recommendation, just some TV news...

Quote:
ABC has cast Anthony Stewart Head in the lead of "Him & Us," the comedy pilot inspired in part on the life of Elton John.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:09 am 
4. Extra Flamey

'Bedrooms and Hallways' is a nice little British movie about a gay man looking for love. The end is a bit bleh with him falling for a woman but there are also straight men experimenting with relationship with other man so fair's fair I suppose.

It was good to see Hugo Weaving again and guess what ... he had an English accent :lol and not holding back when he was kissing another guy. Good man!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:02 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I saw Constantine at the weekend and much to my surprise enjoyed it. Not much in common with the comic and Constantine is too much of an action movie hero at times but it was good and reminded me a little of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Also, Tilda Swinton is a sexy androgynous angel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:21 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

I saw Constantine a while ago, and while I enjoyed it, I wondered why the Catholic church hadn't put up more of a fight against it...maybe I was reading into it too much, but with an evil Angel Gabrielle, and a seriously huge weight given to the whole suicide-is-a-sin concept - I just thought that someone might have complained a bit louder...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:39 am 
4. Extra Flamey

More interested in condemning gays perhaps? :happy

Suicides automatically condemned to Hell was something I didn't like about 'Constantine'. Speaking as an atheist whose only knowledge of the bible comes from Church and Sunday School when I was a kid I didn't want to believe that the God from the New Testament (and Joan of Arcadia :) ) would allow that. It was handled much better, I think, in 'What Dreams May Come' with suicides creating their own personal Hell, but again something I couldn't believe the New Testament God would allow.

I realise I'm taking the movie much too seriously (especially for an atheist). :blush

And the holy shotgun was really silly. A fun :devil movie though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:05 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

billy wrote:
I realise I'm taking the movie much too seriously

I love a bit of back-and-forth about films, and considering the views of this board about how very important a TV show can be in informing and entertaining the world, I don't think you are taking it too seriously at all

Everyone has their own interpretation as to how far something can go before it becomes blasphemous (topical at the moment with cartoons) but I tend to assume that it is the intent which gives the game away. I don't think that Constantine was trying to portray the Church, and Roman Catholicism in particular, as unforgiving or misunderstanding of suicide. I guess TPTB thought it would make a really stark backdrop, and help us to understand the mindset of the characters a bit more.

The effects were great I thought, and although I am not a Keanu fan (sorry!) the acting was OK!

For what it is worth, and speaking as a a regular church-goer (gasp!) I don't think God would condemn anyone without looking at the bigger picture, and the individual circumstances. A case-by-case basis, I guess! And the worry that I was wrong about that is what made me think the most when I came out of the cinema, until I realised that my idea of God was just as possible, and probable, as some Hollywood director's!

Last edited by Candleshoe on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:24 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Candleshoe wrote:
Everyone has their own interpretation as to how far something can go before it becomes blasphemous (topical at the moment with cartoons) but I tend to assume that it is the intent which gives the game away.

My ex-boyfriend who is not a churchgoer but has a stong faith stopped watching 'The L-Word' when they showed a piece of art of Jesus and Mary Magdalene (I think) having sex but had no problems with 'The Last Temptation of Christ'.

What people regard as blasphemy is continually changing. Some time ago I was watching a documentary on the different portrayals of Jesus in TV shows and movies and the earliest was a TV play in which Jesus was always off-screen. A far cry from ''The Passion of the Christ'.

I'd like to see more movies based on the DC Vertigo comics. Sandman and Death seem to have been in development hell for years.

Last edited by billy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:23 am 
3. Flaming O

Ahem... this over melodramatic movie clip is a music video of a Korean pop song called Don't Love. We call it the White Lily genre...

http://movie.damoim.net/istyle/movie/ex ... eq=5784898

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:02 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

WOW, I was surprised to not find a thread about the TV show, House. I watched all of seasons 1 and 2 in about 5 days and I really do like that show. The humor is good and the story lines are pretty good too. Sometimes it gets pretty intense to watch. Just my two cents about that show. Smiles. =)

"I've always believed it doesn't matter who you sleep with. What's important is how you treat people." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:08 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Quote:
WOW, I was surprised to not find a thread about the TV show, House. I watched all of seasons 1 and 2 in about 5 days and I really do like that show. The humor is good and the story lines are pretty good too. Sometimes it gets pretty intense to watch. Just my two cents about that show. Smiles

There is one, sweetie. I believe it's even still on the first page. If I could only master linking then I would add a link to it (here). :lol

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:41 pm 
8. Vixen

Quote:
Queer cinema will reign supreme on the Independent Film Channel (IFC) for the month of July. Surrounding the IFC Original Documentary Fabulous! The Story of Queer Cinema's premiere on July 16 at 10p, the network will air a month-long on-air festival of gay-themed programming, dubbed 'Queer Month.' The network will also be a key sponsor at the 2006 Outfest and partner with Cable Positive to host several screenings. Fabulous! explores the emergence of gay and lesbian films from the 1960s through the present. Some of the films to air throughout July include Before Night Falls, Boys Don't Cry, Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss, Edward II and many others with a double feature airing Sundays from 10p.

More news...

Quote:
Timed to coincide with the beginning of Gay and Lesbian Pride Month on June 1, Bravo will launch OUTzoneTV.com, the first broadband channel targeted to the gay and lesbian online community. The new channel will feature short and long-form video on everything from historical LGBT media moments to contemporary explorations. The site will be updated daily with blogs, features, news, photos and other user-generated content.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:44 pm 
5. Willowhand

Well, this is neither TV or a movie, but I didn't know where else to put it:

Batwoman Is Back As a Lesbian
May 31, 3:53 PM EST

The Associated Press

Years after she first emerged from the Batcave, Batwoman is coming out of the closet.

DC Comics is resurrecting the classic comic book character as a lesbian, unveiling the new Batwoman in July as part of an ongoing weekly series that began this year. The 5-foot-10 superhero comes with flowing red hair, knee-high red boots with spiked heels, and a form-fitting black outfit.

"We decided to give her a different point of view," explained Dan DiDio, vice president and executive editor at DC. "We wanted to make her a more unique personality than others in the Bat-family. That's one of the reasons we went in this direction."

The original Batwoman was started in 1956, and killed off in 1979. The new character will share the same name as her original alter ego, Kathy Kane. And the new Batwoman arrives with ties to others in the Gotham City world.

"She's a socialite from Gotham high society," DiDio said. "She has some past connection with Bruce Wayne. And she's also had a past love affair with one of our lead characters, Renee Montoya."

Montoya, in the "52" comic book series, is a former police detective. Wayne, of course, is Batman's true identity — but he has disappeared, along with Superman and Wonder Woman, leaving Gotham a more dangerous place.

The "52" series is a collaboration of four acclaimed writers, with one episode per week for one year. The comics will introduce other diverse characters as the story plays out.

"This is not just about having a gay character," DiDio said. "We're trying for overall diversity in the DC universe. We have strong African-American, Hispanic and Asian characters. We're trying to get a better cross-section of our readership and the world."

The outing of Batwoman created a furor of opinions on Web sites devoted to DC Comics. Opinions ranged from outrage to approval. Others took a more tongue-in-cheeck approach to the announcement.

"Wouldn't ugly people as heroes be more groundbreaking?" asked one poster.

"You know, 200-pound woman, man with horseshoe hair loss pattern, people with cold sores, etc.?"

DiDio asked that people wait until the new Batwoman's appearance in the series before they pass judgment.

"You know what? Judge us by the story and character we create," he said. "We are confident that we are telling a great story with a strong, complex character."

DiDio spent most of the morning fielding phone calls from media intrigued by the Batwoman reinvention.

"It's kind of weird," he said. "We had a feeling it would attract some attention, but we're a little surprised it did this much."

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:10 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hey, Culzean. Ben started a thread for this over at the Kitten.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:18 am 
5. Willowhand

Afternoon all,
I went to the UK premiere last night of the new Beastie Boys concert film Awesome; I fuckin' shot that! and have to say I was blown away by it. I'm not a huge Beastie Boys fan in particular, I was just intrigued by the concept behind the film - the band gave away 80 Hi-8 cameras to fans dotted throughout Madison Square Garden at their homecoming gig in October 2004, and literally told them to just keep shooting, capturing the experience from the fans perspective.
It edits all 80 camera perspectives fantastically well, and gives a real insight into the vibe of the bands live act. The closing song 'Sabotage' was bloody excellent, it almost blew the speakers at the NFT. Marvellous stuff! :D
Well worth a look if you get the chance.

~Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:46 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

I know that there has to be a few scifi folks that have been watching The 4400. What do you kittens think about this season so far? =)

"I've always believed it doesn't matter who you sleep with. What's important is how you treat people." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:03 am 
5. Willowhand

You may want to check out Eureka, a new series on the SciFi channel. We Tivo'ed it and watched it last night and it was good. I really enjoyed the humor.

As an added bonus Erica Cerra is one of the cast members. She played the lesbian vampire on The L Word.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:34 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I dind't want to start a new thread for this show because, well, it's all in German and I don't know how many Kittens speak German. I certainly don't, but I watch the clips anyway.

The show is called Verboten Liebe (which I guess is German for "forbidden love"), and there are a ton of clips from the show on You Tube. A user named mzzzhedison has them, or alternately you can type "verboten liebe" in the search and get them.

I don't understand a lick of German, but you can often get the gist of it (coupled with some user comments). Plus, it's cool to see a show that has, well...lesbians, doing their thing. I think this is "regular" tv too.

Just putting that out there if anyone's interested.

Post subject: Celebrity Duets
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:25 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I'm no fan of this kind of show (am I the ONLY Yank who's never seen American Idol? Not once?)...

...but this show has the Goddess of the Xenaverse herself, Lucy Lawless on it! :kiss

GG And, in my *completely unbiased* opinion, she's doin' GREAT! :applause Out

(Great, vis-a-vis her singing. Her spectacular LOOKS are a given! :thud)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:36 am 
8. Vixen

Quote:
OUTtv will air a full day of programming featuring films, documentaries, and marquee performances on December 1 for World AIDS Day, beginning at 9:30 in the morning and continuing thru 11 o'clock in the evening:

930a - Positively Living - A TV show for people living with HIV/AIDS, their friends and family, and those who are interested in general overall healthy living with host/journalist David Graham
10a - Human Trials - A documentary following three men at high risk of contracting HIV, as they take part in a monumental three-year drug trial for a possible AIDS vaccine.
11a - Jawbreaker, World Aids Day special 2004 - Hosted by Brad Fraser, the documentary features a frank discussion about current AIDS treatments
12p - 46664 Nelson Mandela Capetown World Aids Day Concert - The concert for Nelson Mandela's 46664 campaign (# was his prison #), held on November 29, 2003
2p - Nervous Energy - A young man living with AIDS living in London and his lover and the consequences he suffers when he visits his family in Glasgow
430p - International AIDS Conference Highlights, 2006 - A 30-minute show with highlights, interviews, and info from the Toronto event in August
830p - Sex Is - Interviews with 15 men around a range of topics about sex and the San Francisco gay scene
10p - The Gift (exclusive to OUTtv in Canada) - A controversial and frank documentary from Louise Hogarth about an alarming trend among many young gay men to actively seek infection with HIV
Airing throughout the day - The Bicycle (sponsored by BMO) - A 13-minute short film following Pax Chingawale as he cycles from village to village in Zomba District, Malawi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:02 am 
3. Flaming O

I've been watching the Ellen Season 4 DVDs and at last someone is praising Ellen. Better late than never I suppose.

Looking forward to Season 5. :party

Post subject: Inland Empire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:23 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
David Lynch fans, his newest film, Inland Empire has begun to make its way around theaters! There's not going to be a big release, I don't think so don't expect the movie to come to anything but big cities. It's 3 hours of David Lynch at his most lynchian. It really is a trip. It revisits some of the same themes of Mulholland Drive so if you like that, you might like this. There's also a cute sort of cameo by the Mulholland Drive women, they give are two of the voices of the "bunnies." Yeah... bunnies! Anyway, Laura Dern is fantastic. The film is shot in DV and it's really grainy but you get used to the look. That and the extreme closeups really make the film even creepier than it is. Check it out, if you can handle nonlinear non-narrative.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 am 
2. Floating Rose

I just watched this italian movie called "Il Padre Delle Spose" (Father of the wives) and I really liked it... I think it was made for tv only... Since I'm not in Italy I had to donwload it, hehe....

The story is about a man called Ricardo who lives in Italy and hasn't seen his daughter Aurora in 15 years... Aurora lives in Barcelona with her wife Rosario and their daughter. Ricardo goes to Barcelona because of work and decides to go visit Aurora... It's a funny movie, has a happy ending and you get to see la bella Italia! Hehe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:24 am 
8. Vixen

From Cynopsis:

Quote:
Fox's one hour comedy pilot Nurses from 20th Century Fox TV has a new head nurse - Eliza Dushku will replace Kathryn Winnick who originally had the lead role. This role was recast after the part was rewritten to be much more comedic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next