The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: movie recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:36 am 
Yes I agree that "Claire of the Moon" was utterly horrid. One has to be a dedicated person to sit through this entire movie without laughing and saying "Who in the hell would say and do that!"

Post subject: Witchblade
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:34 pm 
Originally posted by Zahir al Daoud

Don't know how many Kittens have been following this show. But I'm real impressed. I liked the first slot of episodes last year, but they really set themselves up for potential problems with their "reset." So far, though, they have indeed delivered. Because some characters have a limited sense of the reset, a character is dead who lived before. And another is alive who used to be dead.

Sarah Pazzini, imo, is a compelling character--someone full of courage and idealism (as well as maturity) who finds herself at the center of a mystic battle between good and evil. She has ever been on the side of the angels, but the supernatural is just beyond any frame of reference. And she doesn't have any Watcher briefing her on the what's going on. No one she'll listen to (or has any reason to), anyway.

Whats even more disturbing (to her) and dramatic (to us) is that her foes aren't straightforward monsters. An evil that reaches in from outside the cosmos as we percieve it in an effort to corrupt and destroy--thats loads more disturbing than a vampire or cyborg or even superstrong mind-sucker. Because IT doesn't have a face. And you can't strike IT and do any damage.

I really like this show, can you tell? And while we know Sarah has had a boyfriend, methinks there's still some promise in her relationship with that lady pathologist.

Post subject: Re: Witchblade
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:36 pm 
Originally posted by Wiccagrrl313

I do hope that they develop the relationship with the lady pathologist. I like this show a lot, but one of my gripes with it is how few relationships of any sort (friendship, familial, romantic, whatever) Pez seems to have with other women. All the major influences in her life seem to have been male. Hell, even the prior bladewielders were versions of Sara herself. There have been a few interesting female villians, and then just this season we've had the pathologist. So I do hope, at the very least, they get to be friends.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:43 pm 
Her name is spelled like this, Sara Pezzini. She's hot. She usually looks really cool. Ian is an idiot this season. I love Tamara Gorski, she does crazy really well.

————––
"Running away, go to it. Where did you have in mind? Have to take care... unless there's a 'where',
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions... different kind."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:02 am 
I recently saw a movie titled "Girl", i had never even heard of it before, but it had the word lesbian in the description so i thought what the hell :lol ...It was actually quite good, different in alot of ways, but alas, well to divulge the ending would spoil it, lets just say the lesbian cliche lives...I do recommend it though...

carpe' noctem

Post subject: Re: Buffy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:12 pm 
I'm not sure where to put this, so I am putting it here. For those who can still watch the earlier episodes of Buffy, UPN is rerunning OMWF tonight. I have to watch it (and tape it) to hear Tara sing to Willow, which I thought was one of the most memorable moments of S6.

Post subject: Re: Buffy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:58 pm 
Heh. I'm such a whore. As irritating as the main character is in "Girl," and as frustrating as it is to see the cliche played out, yet again, as a haphazard side plot, I loved getting to see Tara Reid... yanno... do that thing. Heh.

I wouldn't recommend this movie, though. Imagine "My So-Called Life" infused with ten times its originally allotted whiny angst quota, and voila... there you have it.

"Blackbird singin' in the dead of night... take these broken wings and learn to fly- all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive..."

Post subject: movie rec...thelma & louise w/out the big death
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:22 pm 
I was organizing my video collection the other day because I was looking for my taped copy of Lifetime Television's Women Rock 2: Girls and Guitars concert, which I have lost...grumble grumble.

Anyway, I was organizing my videos and I came across a movie I love but had forgotten it existed, and I thought I would recommend it to the kittens because it is just so fabulous.

It's called Leaving Normal. It was made in the early nineties, it stars Christi Lahti and Meg Tilly. They play two women with crummy emotional baggage who form this unlikely friendship/bond and travel across the country together, letting fate decide where they go (by going wherever bird doo lands on their map heh..heh...that's just so my life) and what kind of adventures they have. I won't give too much away, but like Thelma and Louise, it is very much the same kind of "two strong women hit the open road" movie, but has a wonderful ending. (I think it came out before T&L, but I'm not sure) It's not annoyingly bouncy, each women deals with serious issues, but their friendship is lovely and real, and it made me smile. Kittens should definately check it out.

Post subject: Okay, it's a book, but...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:31 am 
Has anyone read 'The Sopranos' by Alan Warner? (Nothing to do with the TV series of the same name, btw.) Cause there's a love affair between two girls in the book, and it actually has a happy-ish ending, which I can't really go into without spoiling the plot big-time.

Don't keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
- Quentin Crisp

Bitterness Central

Post subject: Re: Okay, it's a book, but...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:04 am 
Speaking of books, can anyone recommend any good lesbian novels? I looked through the Kitten archives, but couldn't find any topics dedicated to gay literature. I would especially be interested lesbian (even bi) books with women of color. Thanks!

Edited by: June Leigh at: 7/8/02 1:10:03 am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:18 am 
There is actually a thread all about good books by and/or about women/lesbians right here.

~La

You know you've been in Korea too long when you start packing to return to the U.S.

Post subject: Not Gay But Good
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:18 am 
My lady and I watched an excellent werewolf movie from Canada this weekend. It is called Ginger Snaps (and yes, there is a character named Ginger). As a nice coincidence, Ginger's sister is named Bridget and is known as "Bee."

More to the point, it is a very good (albeit very, very violent) film that uses the supernatural as a metaphor--in this case as what can go wrong (and right) on the way to becoming an adult.

Really, really good.

"O Let my name be in the Book of Love!
If it be there I care not of that other Book above.
Strike it out! Or write it in anew, but
Let my name be in the Book of Love!"

--Omar Kayam

Post subject: Re: wolves
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:52 am 
Speaking of wolves, does anyone here know anything about the French movie "Le Pacte des Loups"/"The Brotherhood of the Wolf"? Is it a werewolf movie, or something else??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So that's all you do? Keep your cool, and no more wolfie?"

Willow to Oz in "NMR"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:14 pm 
Quote:
Speaking of books, can anyone recommend any good lesbian novels?

hmmm... anything written by Jeanette Winterson is great... thought Written on the Body is my favorite... there's also Nancy Garden and Gertrude Stein.

now, if you are for the depressing-types... read "The Well of Loneliness"... i forgot who the author is, but i hope someone in this thread will help...

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie "Once and Again"

Edited by: slayer747  at: 7/8/02 10:16:23 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:35 pm 
Radclyffe Hall wrote, "The Well of Loneliness."

edited to add: and it's not on my summer reading list, that's for sure.

Xander: "Tara, nice axing." Tara: "My first."

Edited by: mscheckmate at: 7/8/02 10:36:59 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:33 am 
oh yeah... it was Radclyffe Hall... anyway... here's another, "Mrs. Dalloway" by Virginia Wolfe. :)

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie "Once and Again"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:34 am 
Thanks La, I'll read that topic. Thanks slayer747 for the recs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:43 am 
"The Price of Salt," by Claire Morgan (Patricia Highsmith.)

Xander: "Tara, nice axing." Tara: "My first."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:49 am 
We used to have a book thread on the old board. Don't know where it is now, though.

Anyway, I would recommend 'Trumpet' by Jackie Kay (though it's not strictly a lesbian novel), and 'Stir Fry' and 'Hood' by Emma Donoghue (think that's how you spell her surname; she's the only lesbian Irish novelist I've ever read.) Also, poetry-wise, Carol Ann Duffy and Jackie Kay (again.)

Don't keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
- Quentin Crisp

Bitterness Central

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:52 am 
tyche it is on the 1st page of the board right now, here

- - - - - - - - - - - -

What's this? Bag of tricks?

Pack of lies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:50 am 
Well that was some nice synchronized moderating :laugh

---------------------------

"I am giving you what you need, not what you want"
-The perfect excuse to be an asshole

Post subject: Finnally!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:37 pm 
Well folks I finnally saw "But I am a Cheerleader" great fun I laughed:laugh I cried:( I got pisssed off:mad great moive.

Now I understand Ruth's "Joel Jokes" as well as why the Kittens need cheers:)

"This may be the Hellmouth, but it's our Hellmouth"

--------Tara in "Left of Center"
-------- by: Jomarch

Taste the rainbow

Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:17 am 
I just watched Everythings Relative again and i so highly recommend that movie to alot of the younger lesbians on the board...Its about friendships, life and being yourself...There is a great line Lucy has in relation to a discussion they are having about one of the women not being honest with someone who asks if they are related..

Everyone in the group started to say they were lesbians, but this particular character lied and said they were members of a swim team..When confronted by her partner, she says "well there could have been a guy with a baseball bat"..Lucy says "there wouldnt be any guys with baseball bats if we didnt hide".. The more we make ourselves known, the more empowered we will be...

"Pride that dines on vanity sups on contempt"

Edited by: friskylez  at: 7/9/02 11:20:05 pm

Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:29 pm 
I haven't read all the post in this thread, so I don't know if anyone meantioned this movie, or if anyone from this board has ever even seen it. Last night I was watching 'Show Case' and there was a movie on called 'Late Bloomers', it was about two middle aged women who worked in a school together and through a friendship came an unexpected love. One woman had I assume been alone all her life and never found love (till now) and the other was in a marriage that had problems.

I found the movie extremly entertaining and would reccomend it to anyone who gets a chance to see it. It was very funny with moments of seriousous, but most important of all, EVERYTHING WORKED OUT IN THE END :bounce :grin , I was a little worried given other movies.

If anyone else saw it, I'd be interested to hear your opinions of it, I'm really glad I saw it, I haven't seen many out there like it.

I don't know if it was Canadian, but film wise, it looked pretty good, I know how alot of Canadain film can look kinda (what's the word I'm looking for?.... grainy...no...NOT SO GOOD.. that'll do). It could be American, I think they did

live in an American state, but I'm not sure. If it was a low budget independant film, it looked visually good, and well acted, good story and fun to boot...hehe funny cliche. I think it was taking place in a small community.

If anyone else has something to add, who saw it, who knows more, by all means

:) :grin :D :) :grin :D

Tara: "I am, you know" Willow: "What?" Tara: "Yours" (Hearts a Flutter)

Edited by: PandoraSpocks at: 7/23/02 2:33:06 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:33 pm 
Umm, Charlie's Angels....is good! A Walk to remember! Head over heals...and - Thinks. -Harry Potter! That is about it oh and the glass house!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:59 am 
Hi, just like to say that you all have great taste in films :-)

Definitely would go with Being John Malkovich. To me one of the greatest love stories I've seen on film. It really moved me (and all my friends looked at me like I was mad when I said I thought this).

On the GLBT tip, Beautiful Thing is great. Its about two gay teenage boys who fall in love. its an English film, and amazingly has a happy ending.

Other non specific films I love are: Gattaca, Amateur and Twelve Monkeys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:53 am 
final destination - but i'm a cheerleader - the shining (yeah, i know....but it's my favorite film! first real horror film i ever saw) - and resident evil (and not just 'cos the main character's hot) - ooh, ooh, and 13 ghosts, that's just really cool.

steph

"Dr. Becker, have you seen the skeleton?" "What do you think I am, a skeleton thief? You want to search me?!"
"Oh, bugger off, you brolly!" - Anya to Giles on his use of the english language
"We'll all be a lot happier without the constant whining....Mom, Buffy, Tara, Waah" - DMW to Dawn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:12 am 
Magnolia! I watched it last week and am now i total magnolia enthusiast. it's WONDERFUL. ooh, and Bound is of course a fantabulous movie, which is on tv this weekend, which means nothing, because that movie on basic cable is wasteful, but it's handy reminder to break out the DVD and watch it again. also Memento rocks, and in a totally different way, Yellow Submarine. ooh and Hedwig and the Angry Inch is Fantastik. miriam shor is soooooooo good in that movie. so's everyone else.

oy, i should shut up, screw afi i'll come up with my own 200.....so scary...

peace.

Willow: It's horrible! That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil and... skanky. And I think I'm kinda gay.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:17 am 
I guess I'm in the mood for a little friendly debate today. Destroyer, what exactly was it about Being John Malkovitch that you think makes it one of the greatest love stories on film? And anyone else who wants to chime in, please do. I'm curious if I'm in the minority here.

I found BJM to include one of the most interesting love stories on film, certainly, with all the in-and-out of body, and queer/transgender elements, but to be one of the "greatest love stories"? That I dunno about. I thought that there was so much else going on aside from the L/M subplot through most of the film that I just didn't think of BJM as a love story.

I will go so far as to say that I absolutely think the film is one of the best I have ever seen, as well as, hands down, the most original script I've seen produced. And I never get sick of watching it. Heh. As my girlfriend can attest to.

"It's not real. I mean, there are no vampires, there are no witches. Well, there are Wiccans, but they're not making out with Alyson, so..." -Amber Benson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:30 am 
Umm, well you can just say that hyperbole is my middle name. But the film did move me, and the interplay between catherine keener and cameron diaz was great.

To me the film was about their story. but these things are all subjective, and I cant find the words to back up my claim, just that for me, it was a great love story.

The initial attraction, swapping bodies to act out the love, and then eventually being able to come together on their own terms. Without that, the film would be interesting, but cold. Its the heart of the film.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next