The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:39 pm 
How about Lagaan? It's a slightly more polished one.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0282674/

Post subject: Love Me If You Can
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:58 am 
Have you heard about this Taiwanese movie? It's a painfully shy lesbian love story with a tragic ending. Maybe you have to read 'Liang-San Bo and Zhu-Ying Tai' first to understand this story.

avjet.myweb.hinet.net/Lov...%20can.htm

Edited by: Hyo Shin at: 6/29/04 7:21 am

Post subject: Re: Any suggestions?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:16 pm 
Oh i'd love to see that movie. Tragic ending though? sigh.

- - - - - - - - - - -
"Trust is a risk masquerading as a promise."

Post subject: The Love Eterne
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:33 pm 
It should be tragic. It's a story of a girl who believes she is the reincarnation of Zhu Ying Tai.

Why don't you try this movie first?

global.yesasia.com/en/Prd...on-videos/

It's a straight love story but it doesn't look like one. Quite gay in both ways.

Post subject: Re: The Love Eterne
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:44 am 
Thanks for your suggestions :) I'll see if I can find some of these, maybe on Amazon.

Feena

-x-

Back again - just ordered Lagaan, I'll let you know what I think :)

---------------------------------------

Everyone whispers in Cornwall

Edited by: feena191  at: 7/9/04 5:31 am

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:18 am 
For Dutch, perhaps Belgian and German kittens as well: this coming Tuesday, 31st August (or, technically, Wednesday 1st September) they show “The Truth About Jane” on RTL4 at 00:05hrs. I have seen this movie already and must say I found it a bit corny and overly dramatic (I do know that it is supposed to be based upon a true story) but it’s definitely worth watching/setting your vcr for.

I have many skills....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:14 pm 
Oh thanks concrete! I haven't seen that one yet, I'll be sure to catch it! (If I manage to stay awake that is :P )

"Marshmellow bunnies make you fat with arrogance!" ... "Your magic dress has gone to your head!

Skirts go UP, Piki!"
- Piki & Poko, 'Ten Miles High'

Post subject: New US shows for Fall 2004
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:09 am 
Maybe we should have a separate thread for the various new TV shows that are premiering over the next few weeks, but I'll let someone more experienced than I decide that.

There's a new show starting soon on Wednesdays at 10 on ABC called Wife Swap. Apparently it's a "social experiment" (in other words, the goal isn't "cash prizes") where wives and mothers spend a couple weeks living with other families. First they have to live by the rules set by the real wives, then they get to set some of their own later on. The critics are very high on this show.

According to one article I've read, one of the episodes will "swap" a straight woman with a lesbian. That should, hopefully, be an interesting lesson in tolerance.

Sincerely, Allaine

(still Bardlet #10)

Post subject: Emmys 2004
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:35 pm 
I coulda sworn we had an Emmy thread, but I looked all the way back in the Plastic forum, and didn't see one. Oh well.

Angels in America sure cleaned up big (to nobody's surprise). I hope it was good (being too poor for HBO: actually that's the problem w/ a good hunk of the nominees/winners!).

I am glad Cynthia Nixon won for Sex in the City (SJP did too, but that was a more predictable win). I *love* Miranda, and really enjoy that I can now see her---sans the occassional f-word---on TBS.

I'm sorry Amber Tamblyn didn't win, but hey: there's lots of time for that (dammit, I can't believe I managed to miss the season finale again! WTF was I thinking about Friday night? :gnome ). But Allison Janney again? Feh, I just don't watch The West Wing.

Gack, everything I hate about Reality TV (except for Queer Eye, and hey: I thought it was supposed to be nominated? I didn't hear it mentioned), and they brought it to the Emmy Show itself: who give a flying fadoodle about 2 shmucks they blindfolded and suddenly thrust on stage? Boring!!! :happy

[For that matter, what happened to the nominations for Nip/Tuck---which, in the past couple of weeks, I've decided I like again---also? Except for Joely Richardson presenting (looking smashing, and sounding it, too, in her native accent), nada]

Here's to a better '04-'05 season!

GG William Shatner won an acting award. William Shatner won an *acting* award?! Somebody slap me! :rolleyes Out

ETA: oh, I forgot the funniest bit: Jon Stewart intro'ing an "attack ad" from years gone-by (that looked a lot like "Washington Crossing the Delaware"). It seems that the "Continental Rowboat Oarsmen for Veracity" have a problem w/ George Washington's claimed war-hero status! :lmao

Edited by: Gatito Grande at: 9/19/04 11:37 pm

Post subject: Re: The Television and Movie Recommendation/Discussion Threa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:55 pm 
'Head in the Clouds' is being released in a limited number of theatres this week. I have no idea if there is a cliched/unhappy ending (the odds are that it might because it's set in pre-World War 2 Paris), but I thought I would give you folks a heads up, because the film features a love triangle between characters played by Charlize Theron, Penelope Cruz and Stewart Townsend (Theron's real-life boyfriend.) There was an article about the film in Premiere a while back, which mentioned that they shot a steamy tango scene featuring the two female leads. I've no idea if this made it into the final cut or not, but it might be worth seeing if it did...

Also, I would recommend 'Hero' - it's well worth seeing on the big screen as it's beautifully shot and the action sequences are stunning. And most of the lead actors are gorgeous, too.

Oh, is George W. Bush a Republican? - my mother, demonstrating her intimate knowledge of American politics.

Post subject: Re: The Television and Movie Recommendation/Discussion Threa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:21 pm 
I echo Tyche's recommendation for "Hero". beautiful film with an engaging polt (kept me guessing what was going to happen) and incredible fight sequences. Definitley worth a look.

I still see dead lesbian cliches

Post subject: Re: Emmys 2004
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:55 pm 
Quote:
I am glad Cynthia Nixon won for Sex in the City (SJP did too, but that was a more predictable win). I *love* Miranda, and really enjoy that I can now see her---sans the occassional f-word---on TBS.

GG, have you seen this?

Firefox: One Browser To Rule Them All.

Post subject: Re: Emmys 2004
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:52 pm 
Ugh: sleazily reported. However, as w/ anybody else, I'm happy she's happy . . . and if she's a positive role-model for "our side" then so much the better. Welcome to the family, Cynthia! :pride

It is interesting however, that not only was there that first season episode (in which her employers set up w/ a date w/ a woman, on the assumption . . . ), but also, I recall that TV Guide's "way we'd like to see Sex and the City end" article last year, had Miranda settling down w/ a woman too.

GG Sometime's where there's smoke, there's fire . . . and the collective gaydar don't lie! ;) Out

Post subject: My Summer of Love
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:04 am 
A new British movie.

www.mysummeroflove.co.uk/

Post subject: Veronica Mars
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:02 pm 
I enjoyed the pilot of UPN's new drama 'Veronica Mars' - it's well-written, and the lead actress is good. The premise is that Veronica, who's 17 and the daughter of a disgraced ex-sheriff (disgraced because he failed to find out who murdered Veronica's best friend) turned private eye, helps her father solve cases. This sounds cheesy on paper, but it actually works pretty well, and the central father/daughter relationship is well-written. They overdo the whole 'Veronica is an outcast' thing a little (she's an outcast because of her father, because her mother left the family, and because she's not wealthy. Oh, and she was also drugged and raped at a party around the time her father was disgraced... ), but other than that, it's an enjoyable show and it's a novelty to watch something really good on UPN. 'Veronica Mars' is on UPN on Tuesdays, so check it out. Although, if you can't stand Paris Hilton, give tonight's ep a miss as she guest stars. Ack.

Oh, is George W. Bush a Republican? - my mother, demonstrating her intimate knowledge of American politics.

Post subject: re: Veronica Mars
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:02 pm 
I watched the premiere and liked it too Tyche. Kristen Bell, who plays Veronica, was excellent in a small role in Deadwood last season, and also in the film Sparta. I'm not as sure about some of the cast, but the show has enough going for it that I'll keep watching for a while. I also caught the two hour premiere of a new series called The 4400 which creeped me out but in an enjoyable way. Worth checking out.

"Life's complications and frustrations/they disappear when the music starts playing/I found a place where it feels alright/I hear a record and it opened my eyes/do you remember what the music meant?" - Speakers Push Air, Pretty Girls Make Graves

Post subject: Re: My Summer of Love
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:01 am 
Hyo Shin, I read about that movie. It's intriguing but I think I am going to have to balance my love for beautiful arty movies with an ultimately unsatisfying lesbian romance. It looks interesting though.

- - - - - - - - - - -
"Trust is a risk masquerading as a promise."

Post subject: Melissa Etheridge in a sitcom?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:47 am 
I just stumbled across this as at http://www.queery.com:

Melissa Etheridge Tapped for Sitcom Pilot

According to "The Hollywood Reporter," Melissa Etheridge has been tapped to star in a new sitcom project for ABC. The show, as yet to be titled, will star Etheridge as a lesbian who lives with her best friend, a straight man. A reverse of NBC's "Will & Grace." She will play a music teacher, and she and her guy pal will be raising the teenage daughter of another friend of theirs. No word as to other casting nor to when the show might debut.

Post subject: Gina Gershon on 'Kevin Hill'
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:12 pm 
I caught the premiere of 'Kevin Hill' on UPN - it's well-acted, although the writing isn't as strong as on 'Veronica Mars'. Also, the fact that the lead character is a asshole who's learning to be less of an asshole means that the 'life lessons' aspect can be a little overdone.

Anyway, I thought that I'd give the Gina Gershon fans a heads up: she'll be guest starring on next week's episode (Wednesday at 9pm) as a rock singer fighting to keep custody of her daughter. They didn't show any shots of her singing in the trailer, but I hope she does.

Post subject: The Simpsons' Lesbian Shock
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:10 am 
IMDB reports that:

Quote:
Hit cartoon series The Simpsons is pushing for gay marriage rights in America with a shocking episode featuring chain-smoking twin Patty wedding another woman. Animated father Homer is ordained as a minister and marries Marge's sister to her dream woman in the eagerly-awaited show, which criticizes American President George W Bush's refusal to allow homosexual marriage. The sitcom will create further controversy later this year when Marge delivers a Christmas speech to the British public, which will rival monarch Queen Elizabeth II's traditional festive message.

Sheacht mh'anam déag do bhéal, do mhalaí's do ghrua

Post subject: Re: The Simpsons' Lesbian Shock
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:48 pm 
Wow, Marge Simpson's giving the alternative Queen's speech this year. That should be good. I'm always impressed with anyone who chooses to take that on after the family of Stephen Lawrence did such an amazing job a few years back.

I've been made to feel incredibly old tonight. I bought a copy of "A Village Affair" today. I'm not sure that anyone will remember this. It was on ITV about 10 years ago and starred Kerry Fox and Sophie Ward. I just realised that the daughter of Sohie Ward's character is none other that 'Bend It Like Beckham's' own Keira Knightley. She's around 9 years old in it. I wasn't that old when I first watched it, but I certainly wasn't 9.

That's even better. Hot lesbian witches, think about it. It's fu**ing genius - Charlie Sheen, Being John Malkovich

Post subject: The Wire
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:08 pm 
I think I must be one of about 12 people in the country who are watching the HBO series The Wire. Which is a shame, really, because it's a really good show.

I don't normally watch cop shows, but I love this one. Sadly, the third season is about to end. Each season follows just one case. The plots are very intricate, and there are a lot of characters, so you really do have to pay attention. It's not a car-chase-fun-shoot-em-up kind of series (though I do enjoy a good action film as much as the next person).

What I love about this series is the intelligent writing, excellent acting, and the emphasis on plot and characterization rather than action. I also really appreciate the fact that each season ends. While there are still stories left to be told about these characters, there are no cliffhangers. I hate cliffhangers. Especially when you have to wait so long in between seasons on HBO.

As an added bonus there are a few gay characters. Omar, who's sort of a good/bad guy. And Kima, a detective, who's been having some relationship trouble with her girlfriend since the girlfriend had a baby.

Based on the coming attractions for next weeks season finale, Kima and her girlfriend make up in a BIG way.

Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:25 am 
Oh, I agree, "The Wire" is a great show!!!! I saw the first season when it aired on cable in France, and it blew me away!

Like you said, great writing, great acting, and I like shows that you have to really follow in order not to miss anything ;)

Sadly, I don't know if they'll air the following seasons... but I still remember that scene with the chess game from season 1, wow!!!

So no, Culzean, you are not alone... (X-files voice) ;)

Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:40 am 

Hey BFR! Thanks for the reassurance. Yeah, it is a great show. I hope they air the next two seasons in France for you. I also hope we get a fourth season.

Another HBO series, Deadwood, received a Golden Globe nomination this week. I enjoy Deadwood, but The Wire is much better. I'm sorry it didn't get any recognition.

Thanks again BFR.

Post subject: Desperate Housewives
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:21 pm 
Possible/probable double posting but I can take the punishment (shut up, G.... ) so here goes:

T.v. alert ! Tonight, Friday 21jan05 at 22:10hrs on Belgie 1 the first ep. of this fantastic show -I am totally hooked; thank *me* for download equipment. Apparantly it is not announced in any t.v.guide (and we have a lot....) so beware! What a great beginning of the weekend. Me happy :)

Desperate Housewives Rule(s) !

I have many skills....

Post subject: Re: Desperate Housewifes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:36 pm 
Phew, what a timing. Good thing I checked this thread at 20:30 or I would've missed it entirely. Thanks dude ;)

"Marshmellow bunnies make you fat with arrogance!" ... "Your magic dress has gone to your head!

Skirts go UP, Piki!"
- Piki & Poko, 'Ten Miles High'

Post subject: Don't Tempt Me(2001)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:14 am 
Wow-just saw this movie on the Sundance channel yesterday and I love Penelope Cruz:) In the movie Penelope plays an agent of hell and Victoria Abril an agent of Heaven who are trying to lure the soul of a boxer to their respective sides. But they both spend more time tempting each other than they do the boxer. To the point where their missons almost fail as the boxer becomes more and more suspicous of their relantionship. Nothing ever really happens betwen them though but damn do they have chemistry together and its fun to watch. Definitely recommend for anyone who's a fan of Penelope Cruz.

Edited to add:Oh, Penelope is definitely hot in it. There's one scene in particular where Penelope "butches" up with "Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting" playing in the back ground before going on a night on the town with three female co-workers. She then asks Victoria Abril's character how she looks, a simple question that gets her so flustered she goes to her management(in Heaven) asking to be replaced or at least be allowed to break a few rules 'cause Penelope is so distracting.

Edited by: TyRex316 at: 3/8/05 1:44 pm

Post subject: Re: Desperate Housewifes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:01 pm 
I am no fan of Penelope but that movie don't tempt me is def. worth a look. She's hot in it. I never thought I'd say that about her. And the relationship between the two women is def. the best thing about the movie. I am going to try to catch it again.

- - - - - - - - - - -
"São só dois lados da mesma viagem.

O trem que chega é o mesmo trem da partida."

Encontros e Despedidas - Maria Rita

Post subject: Iron Jawed Angels
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:14 pm 
I taped this a while ago, but just watched it tonight (my salute to Women's History Month :) ).

It was quite good. Hilary Swank shone (as Alice Paul), and Anjelica Huston made the most of a thankless role. The story was plenty dramatic, especially the prison scenes (and leading up to it, when their suffrage demonstrations are attacked).

Regrettably, I am an ignoramus where this part of women's history is concerned. I knew the name Alice Paul (and the year that suffrage was finally achieved), but not that much else.

Knowing that some of those early feminists were lesbians (or proto-lesbian "sapphists" anyway!), I was rooting for Alice and Lucy (Burns, played by Frances O'Connor---whom I really like), who are constantly together . . . but no go (Alice dates Patrick Dempsey for awhile, and Lucy pines about not having a guy :yawn ). Damn, if I wasn't screaming at all these women (in addition to Alice and Lucy, Inez Mulholland, "the Warrior Princess!" :grin ---played by the always-hot Julia Ormand, Emily Leighton the Senators's wife, Polishwoman Ruza w/ the amazing eyes, Doris, Mabel, etc. etc.) make out! Make out w/ each other you fools! (heterosexual women---especially when they're attractive and strong---have this effect on me :p )

Anyway, the exclusive heterosexuality (easy-on-eyes Patrick Dempsey notwithstanding) was very disappointing. :sigh

Or was it (exclusively heterosexual)? Can someone explain that one scene to me, where the women have just started lobbying Congress? There are various stock scenes of sexist Congressmen saying NO to them, accompanied by reaction shots. But in this one scene, it looked like a couple of the women were kissing passionately, while the Congressman looked on speechlessly.

I was like, "Alright!" And then there was no follow-up whatsoever, I was like "What the f'???" :wtf I even re-ran the scene several times, and still could make no sense of it. Did anyone else understand what was going on there? If I'd seen it on basic cable, I might have suspected something was cut, but this was taped off of HBO (their own production) during a free preview weekend, so I don't think that was it.

GG If I didn't know better, I almost would have said that the two women characters were simply putting on a show (w/ their kiss) for the Congressman's benefit. But then again, I'd really like to think that these suffragists were above that sort of thing . . . and that HBO would be above that, in showing it! :rolleyes Out

Post subject: Ôdishon/Audition
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:25 pm 
I had heard some stuff about this movie (and it was on that thing on Bravo, "The 100 Most Scary Moments In Film") and I wanted to talk to someone who's seen it before I traumatize myself. I found someone I know who's seen it. She has a pretty high tolerance for the disturbing and she said, basically, "No! Do not see that movie. Ever! You. Will. Regret. It. And I don't want to talk about it." :eek Which, naturally, makes me want to see it all the more. But...I'm afraid, too. So...has anyone here seen Ôdishon? Will I be creeped out for days? Weeks? Months?

don't make me come up there - satan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next