The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: I loved, loved, LOVED this movie!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:09 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
I just thought I'd suggest catching the hilarious comic documentary "C.S.A." (="Confederate States of America"). It is one of the most screamingly funny depictions of racial prejudice and bigotry ever put on screen, very much in the tradition of Mark Twain.

It occasionally runs on the IFC cable channel. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:48 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Step Brother's...omg i couldnt stop laughing it was so funny. it was two 40 year old men acting like eight year olds and it just reminded me of myself and my brother when we were little kids.

American Pie 1-3- (I mean Alyson Hannigan do i need to say anymore)Fight Club, Harold and Kumar, Super Trooper, Eurotrip, point break, pope of grenace village (spelt wrong) rocky horror picture show, office space double jeoperdy, shaun of the dead. :party

i love movies!!! :blush

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:26 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

The 400 Blows is a totally awesome movie. If you haven't already seen it then i recommend you stop whatever you're doing and watch it! Or you could watch it later....either way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Having posted in the hated films thread, now time for something more jolly. :)
There are loads of films I love, and I have quite a collection. I'll share some personal favourites though.

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922) - a marvel of silent filmmaking. The first vampire film and IMO the most sinister.

The Magic Christian (1969) - a marvelous British comedy film starring the great Peter Sellers and dozens of famous faces as cameos. The basic plot is a billionare going around playing elaborate pranks on the establishment.

Resevoir Dogs (1992) - all the more brilliant considering the budget it was made on. A triumph for good script, direction and acting.

Lovers, Liars and Lunatics (2006) - since buying a copy of this, I've been raving about it to my friends as being an independant film every bit as good as Resevoir Dogs.

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) - riotously funny all the better for the RL fuss it managed to cause.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - this one's been a favourite of mine for many years.

Kill Bill (2003 & 2004) - Just plain awesome.

The Wicker Man (1973) - Great performances and a completely different kind of horror film.

Top Gun (1986) - This movie is terrible if watched as a serious film but becomes awesome when watched as a gay romp. Especialy good to play a drinking game with.

Transformers (1986) - A classic from my childhood, and a bold storyline in which almost all the original characters from the TV series are killed in the first 20 minutes of the film, even Optimus Prime. Predictible this film ain't, which is more then can be said for the 2007 film.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:18 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Ok, I got to admit, I just love action, sci-fi and horror movies :smash

Here are my favourites:

Die Hard 1 - 4 (1988/1990/1995/2007) - Bruce Willis just rocks my world with his blood-soaked "white" shirts ;-)

The X-Files: Fight the future (1998) - I was 12 years when I first saw that movie and I still love it.. Feels like I watched it a thousand times :sigh

Playing God (1997) - Hehe, Duchovny and Angelina Jolie... Awesome movie

The Matrix (1999) - I love this movie. The second one was ok, but the third was kinda...I dunno...far-fetched, maybe. There was a guy sitting next to me in the cinema and he was screaming "Die bitch, die!" when Trinity was dieing the slowest death in a movie ever ;-)

The Simpsons: The Movie (2007) - I was really impressed with this movie. My friend and I expected like the worst movie ever, but it was really great.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - One of the best movies ever!!! :smash

Danny the Dog/Unleashed (2005) - Best performance by Jet Li in my opinion...

Kiss of the Dragon (2001) - Another great movie with Jet Li ;-)

Leathal Weapon 4 (1998) - Hehe, I loved this movie as a kid. It's really funny, but the action is soooo much fun, too...

Playing by Heart (1998) - It's like the better version of "Love Actually" and I just love Gillian Andersons line "I don't want sex tonight, Trent..."

Love Potion Number 9 (1992) - Didn't see this in ages, but I loved it back then and I think I will watch it sometime soon again. Sandra Bullock is so bloody awesome.

There are so many movies worth seeing, but these are my most favourites. Hope you kittens still like me ;))

Last edited by Kessari on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:34 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Okay, I saw Hellboy 2: The Golden Army last night and it was fantastic. I was in a hurry to get to the theatre on time and didnt have any chance to grab snacks, which are usually essential when watchign a movie but I was so engrossed that I didnt notice the absence of snacks at all!

The design was gorgeous, the characters old and new were superb. Although I love Liz's character in the first movie it was nice to see her get in on the action and her new look was kick arse. It was a little sappy at times, i could have done without the cheesy music but overall a worthy night at the cinema.

Del Toro is an exceptionally talented director and definitely rivals that puffed-up, self-important little Kiwi who did that trilogy a few years ago.

I'm torn whether I enjoyed it more than the first one, perhaps upon repeated DVD viewings i will be able to make a decision.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:01 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I didn't think i'd like it but 'The Notebook' is amazing!:smash i never fail to cry eveytime i see it and im all hard and grrr.

Also love Dangerous minds & Lost and Delirious.

i like my sad movies as you can see but i also love daft easy to watch rom coms:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:23 am 
5. Willowhand

Mamma Mia! :pinky

Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:17 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

attack of the gryphon
wait... no I didn't, I just loved loved loved Amber in it.

(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. (it must be bunnieeees!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:47 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I saw Transsiberian tonight, and wow, this is one intense movie. Engrossing is not a word I use a lot, or ever, but I was truly engaged in every minute of this movie. After this, and Lars and the real girl last year, Emily Mortimer may be my new favorite actress. See this movie if you get the chance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:42 am 
3. Flaming O

Doomsday was effin' amazing.

I didn't read too far back in this thread but I saw a mention of Resident Evil...

Let me just say, Michelle Rodriguez gives me majorly dirty thoughts. Yum!! *scampers off to oogle her on google*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:51 pm 
28. Com...plete

Finally got to see Stage Beauty...excellent

Amber: Oh yes, Aly and I will take credit for that

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:04 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

And it's a true story too.

We so often forget that all of the great Shakespeare parts for women (Juliet, Lady Macbeth, Rosaline, Desdemona, etc. etc. etc.) were played by men or boys!!

On this same subject, it's also worthwhile to watch "Shakespeare in Love".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:42 pm 
28. Com...plete

Hemiola wrote:
And it's a true story too.

We so often forget that all of the great Shakespeare parts for women (Juliet, Lady Macbeth, Rosaline, Desdemona, etc. etc. etc.) were played by men or boys!!

On this same subject, it's also worthwhile to watch "Shakespeare in Love".

Huge Shakespeare fan here...Shakespeare In Love is one of my all time faves...just watched another of them day before yesterday
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Last edited by umgaynow on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:44 am 
28. Com...plete

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day...excellent...could just as easily have starred Carole Lombard as "Cousin Beth"...to me that's a great movie...also Frances McDormand is always worth a look

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:31 pm 
2. Floating Rose

KING ARTHUR with Clive Owen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:31 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Welcome, Avern, to the Kittenboard. :)

I certainly agree that this fine film is much under-appreciated. I very much enjoyed the historical approach to the Arthurian legend, which I found entirely convincing (It even has some funny lines--I love it when the Saxon chief expresses his digust at the idea of mixing Saxon and British blood [which is, of course, exactly what ultimately happened :lol ] ). All the performances are excellent, as well as the direction.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:13 pm 
2. Floating Rose

And Iam sword fighter and I can tell that in this movie is best fencing scenes (and real!!) of course Mark ,Nasir, Ryan do a swordmaster so its so nice + my lovely hans zimmer music its great.
from historicaly angle its not so correct but Sarmatian warriors REALLY was part of Roman army.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:34 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

My girlfriend and I went and saw Four Christmases and it was hilarious!! A nice funny holiday movie! =)

"I've always believed it doesn't matter who you sleep with. What's important is how you treat people." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:43 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I was channel-surfing the other day and caught a surprisingly cute movie: "Penelope". It stars Christina Ricci and Reese Witherspoon and not to go into the plot, involves a girl who was born with a pig snout instead of a nose! Obviously, complications ensue....

Anyway, Ricci is just so cute that even in the (very good) snout prosthetic, she still looks pretty. It's a delightful little fable that's worth catching.

QUESTION: Is there a good site for intelligent movie reviews?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:59 am 
3. Flaming O

Wendy and Lucy. A quietly devastating film from Kelly Reichardt. Michelle Williams is heartbreaking. I have rarely been more affected by a film. KR's Old Joy is another beautifully shot, poetic affair - she is a masterly film maker.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:24 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

A few from off the beaten path:

The Wizard of Speed and Time- don't be put off by the title, it is a live action, modern (well, late 70s) story about the creative spirit. Upbeat but not fluffy.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind- watch it in Japanese with subtitles. Gorgeous movie, even if you "don't like anime". This one of the lesser known Miyazaki movies and (IMHO) his best.

Silent Hill- based on a game (usually a bad sign), but has beautiful atmosphere... the sets were wonderful, the pace was excellent. The story is not supposed to be profound, but there's more of it than the standard horror flick.

Avalon- it's in Polish, but was made by the Japanese. Well paced, creates a sublime atmosphere in which the characters survive. An action film with thought and purpose- not for people who like fluff and happy endings.

Look a few up!
Never

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:51 am 
10. Troll Hammer

There's probaly an entire thread on this mvoie buried somepalce but I finally got to see Desert Hearts last weekend. Very romantic and appealing in many ways. Soemtiems the pacing seemed off btu that was minor. Helen Shaver did her usual superb job of playing an object of affections whose greater age is, in context at least, an issue.

And Dean Butler 's Darrell character reminded me of Hank Summers in that he was playing a bit of a jerk; altho it was mainly a role forced on him because the story needed someone eprforming that function. It was made fairly clear that in his life in general, he was basically a good guy, just not in this area of events.

And that soundtrack. Probably relatively few here would have the same reaction, but I was practically in heaven from the songs alone: Patsy CLine, Gene Vincent, Webb Pierce, Johnny Cash, Ferlin Husky, Marty Robbins, Kitty Wells, Ella Fitzgerald. If I eve rhave access to a 'puter with good sound access, I might put together an "album" of the songs.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:03 pm 
3. Flaming O

The Class, The Class, The Class. I hate the big award shows, they are generally meaningless but occasionally a film comes along that I wish would just sweep the board and shake the voters out of the dull mediocrity that they appear to take such pleasure in. This is one such film. It missed out on the foreign language oscar et al but it snaffled the Palme D'Or. Hurrah for the French, magnificent is an understatement. If you can, go see it.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 am 
10. Troll Hammer

BOLT!
I love this movie. It's sooooo cute... Rhino rules my world... :x

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:48 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I did indeed love this movie but was also profoundly disturbed by it--it's called "Jesus Camp" and it was shown on A&E today (5/24).

It is a horrifying depiction of the kind of--there is no other word for it--brainwashing that the so-called Christian Right subjects defenseless children to from a very young age.

It is astonishing how little anything they do has any resemblance to actual Christianity, but is rather closer to something like, say, Fascism. There is the constant insistance that their way of thinking is the only possible way of thinking, and that any thinking, speech, or action that deviates in even the slightest manner from the approved line is "satanic". Of course, as far as they are concerned, they are "bringing America back to God", and they feel that they can use any means necessary in order to do this.

Most disturbing scene: the children are encouraged to "welcome" and "pray for" a cardboard cut-out of Bush II !!!!!!!!

I'm frightened. I hope everyone else is..... :paranoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 pm 
28. Com...plete

Across the Universe...took me a while to get around to it, but I dug it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:04 pm 
3. Flaming O

Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Okay, I didn't actually love the story and quite why Scarlett Johansson would be anyone's muse is a mystery to me. Woody is of course a genius, but let's face it, his recent offerings have left much to be desired. Now whilst this isn't as bad as most of those, it's no Annie Hall either. As a love letter to Barcelona though, it's beautiful. And Javier Bardem is charming and Penelope Cruz (aka, the most beautiful woman in the world) is spectacular.

Oh, and for anyone that's into that kind of thing, there's a rather sensual smooch betwixt Scarlet (I couldn't act my way out of paper bag) Johansson and the luminescent Miss Cruz.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:54 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

You guys might laugh at me for this, but I still gonna tell. My Dad just sent me a DVD of a movie we watched endless times when I was a kid. "Bushwacked" with Daniel Stern. Even now 13 years after I've first seen it, I still laugh about it. :-D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:04 am 
28. Com...plete

Doubt...excellent, thought-provoking movie...I liked that you are largely left to decide for yourself who is in the wrong

Amy Adams is really starting to impress me...have watched 2 movies with her this week (re-watched Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day) who would have thought when she was playing Cousin Beth that she was this talented...hmmmm...still haven't gotten to see Junebug yet but looking forward to it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next