The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject: Re: I loved, loved, LOVED this movie!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:56 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
So, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets... Dane DeHaan doesn't nail the 'infuriating but lovable jerk' Han Solo thing his role needs, Cara Delevigne's okay on her own but doesn't really bring a lot of chemistry to her side of the pairing either (the two of them have a few moments, but what it really needed was to be swimming in so much sexual tension that any time they so much as look at each other it becomes R-rated just because of what you know they're both thinking), the script in general could've used another pass to streamline some exposition, and quite a lot of the dialogue fails to impress (again, the flirtation misses the mark as often as not).

Nevertheless, I loved, loved, LOVED this movie - even DeHaan, I think I kind of get what Luc Besson saw in him when he reportedly decided that this guy is totally Valerian, despite it not working on screen, in my mind's eye I agree with him, and in my personal fantasy world where the French government funds Besson to make as many sequels as it takes for the rest of the world to admit this is awesome, he'd still be Valerian. As even the unimpressed critics are saying it's visually magnificent, just a stunning avalanche of space opera light and sound. I haven't read Valerian & Laureline itself (although I will - I got into a preview screening and the cinema gave out booklets with the start of Ambassador of the Shadows in it, which was nice of them) but I've read a fair bit of French sci-fi comics and other European ones in the same family, and even when the movie was flailing around missing the mark, it was doing 'French sci-fi comic' perfectly. I want films like this for miles. (So it's sad it's doing poorly, and my proposed solution is a UN resolution so every time Paramount makes another godawful Transformers movie, they have to give Besson enough money to fund a Valerian sequel by way of reparations.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:14 am 
18. Breast Gal

I loved, loved, LOVED Black Panther (like everyone else evidently, but I just wanted to make a note of it, in case any kittens are wondering if they should go see what all the fuss is about). Great cast, great script, lavish visuals, wonderfully realised setting, lively humour, punchy action, good handling of some weighty themes, and worth seeing again and again (literally - between friends and my mum also wanting to go, I've seen it three times already, and it was worth it every time).

The only confusing this is, how many films does Marvel have to make - and the rest of Hollywood joining in as well - before everyone knows to keep their butts sat down while the credits are rolling to get the extra scenes? (If you really are in a genuine hurry, at least stay for the mid-credits scene, after the fancy visual main credits but before the big long plain-text credits - that one's pretty important, whereas the final post-credits scene at the end is more the usual 'gift to fanboys/fangirls' type.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

The Greatest Showman!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:53 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
I was rewatching Leave No Trace last night because I LIKE BEING SAD. But it really is a great movie. About how parents who love you and only want the best for you can still fuck you up something awful. And how it's ok for you to say to "no" to them without ever losing sight of the fact that there is still love there. This is such a great movie. Right up there with Florida Project, which will totally fuck your shit up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

thespian_phryne wrote:
I was rewatching Leave No Trace last night because I LIKE BEING SAD. But it really is a great movie. About how parents who love you and only want the best for you can still fuck you up something awful. And how it's ok for you to say to "no" to them without ever losing sight of the fact that there is still love there. This is such a great movie. Right up there with Florida Project, which will totally fuck your shit up.

I remember seeing the trailers ages ago but never saw it. But after seeing Tomasin in Jojo Rabbit, I'd be willing to put myself through the heartbreak of seeing it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:09 pm 
3. Flaming O

Zooeys_Bridge wrote:
thespian_phryne wrote:

I remember seeing the trailers ages ago but never saw it. But after seeing Tomasin in Jojo Rabbit, I'd be willing to put myself through the heartbreak of seeing it

Because I am a dumb a-hole. I saw this movie again last week. And if you haven't seen it yet, you should.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 pm 
3. Flaming O

I've been making the SO watch all the dumb American movies she has never seen.

And Jennifer's Body is so under rated and hilarious. On second watch it seemed even gayer than I remember it. I still don't understand why this movie bombed. Sure it's corny, but so is a lot of other stuff.

I'm really sad we missed out on a spin-off series of semi-queer, demon-powered Needy Lesnicki out there in the world doing douchebag revenge shenanigans. :sadface:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20