The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fingersmith Movie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:23 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Wow, I just watched Fingersmith yesterday on the plane ride home and WOW. I often have the experience of reading a book, loving it, and being disappointed in the movie adaptation. It was that way for me with Tipping the Velvet - I actually didn't watch the whole thing because it looked like it wasn't going to be that good.

But Fingersmith? It is GOOD. DAMN good. There are a few movies that I think of as being as good as the book, albeit in a different way. And this is one of them (the other ones that spring to mind are The Silence of the Lambs and The Princess Bride).

During the um, intimate moments, I was a little embarrassed to be watching the movie on my PC because I didn't know if nosy people behind me were watching the screen as well. Heh. Must watch it again at home with privacy and stuff.

Anyway, if anyone is waffling on seeing it like I was, take it from me - very good! Put it in your Netflix queue today!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:16 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Finally got round to watching this last night - I caught the first half when it was on TV here last year, but never saw the second half. Thank goodness for online DVD retailers...

Now, given that I really don't like costume dramas, and was only watching this out of a sense of duty, I was quite impressed. I liked the structure and seeing things from different points of view, and I liked the attention to detail in the scenery and costumes etc. I haven't read the book, but the "Behind the Scenes" chat with Sarah Waters suggested that it was quite faithful...which can only be good, I guess.

I also discovered that I quite fancy Elaine Cassidy....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:03 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
We rented Fingersmith a few weeks ago. I actually had forgotten that they made a movie of it. I think Sarah Waters is an absolute genius. Affinity (which I can't imagine they could ever make into a movie) is in my top 10 favorite books. I liked TtV but not nearly as much as either Fingersmith or Affinity. And I must say that they did a really good job in adapting Fingersmith for the screen. The first half is particularly haunting and captivating. The second half moved a bit slow in places but was still very engaging. I was very impressed with the performances of Sue & Maud and surprised at just how graphic (yay) the love scenes were. Very well done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:51 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
So, I just finished watching this movie. Part one was really captivating. I loved the storyline as well as Maud and Sue, and OMG had to pick my mouth up off the floor at the end of part one! But part two seemed rushed and disjointed. I guess I wanted to see more of Maud's side of the story, more about her feelings for Sue, as well as Sue's struggle. Everything tidied up rather quickly and at the end I was more "Huh?" than "Awww!" when the movie finished. Of course, now I'm going to read the book, and hopefully that'll fill those empty spaces in my head.

All in all, it was still a good movie. Yay graphic yet tasteful love scenes!

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:26 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Foo, yes, reading the book will give you all that you could want and more. This is my favorite so far of all of Sarah Waters' works.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:22 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Can you believe it: I was watching Sally Hawkins win a Golden Globe tonight (for "Happy-Go-Lucky") and saying to myself "Where have I seen her before . . . and why do I have a feeling that, when I did see her before, she was 'playing for our team'?" :shock

GG Seriously, I had to go to IMDb, and scroll till I hit "Fingersmith": duh, Sue! Of course, she was Sue! :lol Out

Congrats, Sally! :bow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 pm 
19. Yummy Face

yeah, I was very pleased for her as well.

She also played Zena Blake in Tipping the Velvet.

Carleen

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:55 am 
28. Com...plete

JustSkipIt wrote:
We rented Fingersmith a few weeks ago. I actually had forgotten that they made a movie of it. I think Sarah Waters is an absolute genius. Affinity (which I can't imagine they could ever make into a movie) is in my top 10 favorite books. I liked TtV but not nearly as much as either Fingersmith or Affinity. And I must say that they did a really good job in adapting Fingersmith for the screen. The first half is particularly haunting and captivating. The second half moved a bit slow in places but was still very engaging. I was very impressed with the performances of Sue & Maud and surprised at just how graphic (yay) the love scenes were. Very well done.

Actually, Affinity is now a movie...it wasn't bad, but I thought they didn't quite capture the book...as for Tipping the Velvet...I also prefer the book, but you should at least watch part 3, cuz despite having greatly edited their section of the story, the chemistry between Nan and Flo (Jodhi May) is great...personally I love Tipping the Velvet...I think it's easier if you see the movie before you read the book in most cases...

Anyway, I am glad the BBC has discovered the genius that is Sarah Waters and realized what lovely scripts for costume dramas they make...I hope they'll do The Night Watch

Amber: Oh yes, Aly and I will take credit for that